PDA

View Full Version : Eagles on the Grand Old Opry?

DonFan
12-19-2007, 07:44 PM
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (12-18-07--AP) - The Eagles turned down an offer to perform at the Super Bowl.

But 60-year-old rock star Don Henley says the group would probably accept a chance to play on the Grand Ole Opry.

Henley told The Associated Press: "That would be an honor."

The group that once epitomized the excesses of '70s rock stardom have the biggest-selling country album of the year so far with "Long Road Out of Eden."

The double-disc set, their first studio album in 28 years, has sold two million in the U.S. and topped Billboard's country album chart for four weeks since its October 30th release.

Henley, who grew up in Linden but now lives in Dallas, says as long as they're on the charts -- any chart will do.

All of this is gratifying, Henley says, but these days the Rock and Roll Hall of Famer has other things to think about.

He says frankly, right now he's more focused on his daughter's upcoming 12th birthday.

--------------------------------------------------

If this comes true, what do you say, dreamer & soda--how about a road trip back to Nashville? :thumbsup:

Freypower
12-19-2007, 08:18 PM
Neil Young's film Heart of Gold was shot at the Ryman Auditorium in Nashville. Wouldn't it be great if the Eagles did something similar to this.

If it happens and you do go on a road trip I will request some postcards. 8) I have actually been to Nashville back in 1981 but it was a very short visit.

sodascouts
12-19-2007, 10:23 PM
I'd sure think about it! ;)

katherine5832
12-19-2007, 10:52 PM
Aargh! I couldn't believe it when I heard him tell Kix Brooks that same thing. The one time I'd actually have a reason to watch the Super Bowl (or at least the halftime show) and they turn it down!

Glennsallnighter
12-20-2007, 05:19 AM
Yes! I was hoping that too Katherine, as its one of the US events that manages to make it to Irish TV. Even if it is on at an ungodly hour!

Mrs Frey
12-20-2007, 07:19 AM
DF, thank you for sharing that piece of news with us. The Grand Ole Opry... hmmm. Whenever I hear the name I think of the audience that booed Elvis off stage back in 1954! :scowl: They just couldn't understand Elvis' mix of country and blues! :roll: Oh well, that was a long time ago, and things have certainly changed a lot since then!

I wonder what Don thinks of that, being an Elvis fan himself!

I find it amusing that LROOE is looked at as a "country" album. It's great that's it's doing so well on the country charts, but the Eagles are certainly not a country band. They are one of the most versatile groups I've ever had the privilege of listening to, which is one of the reasons why I'm such a big fan. With all their musical variety, they could never be boring.

Unfortunately, South African TV never gets any of these US events, so whether it's the Super Bowl or The Grand Ole Opray, we won't get to see it. :scowl: (I'm scowling a lot today...)

EasyFeeling
12-20-2007, 11:03 AM
I find it amusing that LROOE is looked at as a "country" album. It's great that's it's doing so well on the country charts, but the Eagles are certainly not a country band.

Now you will understand my feelings when I hear Keith Urban is doing country music. :roll: That's why he will never make it in Germany because country is not popular. No success, no more concerts. :evil: LROOE is not specified as a country album here and if so no one would care because they are very well known.
Sorry for ranting. :blush:

Jeff Cooke
12-20-2007, 02:32 PM
I hate music categories. They're just about politics, cliques and ignorance. The Eagles do not play Country music, they play Eagles music!

DonFan
12-20-2007, 11:35 PM
I hate music categories. They're just about politics, cliques and ignorance. The Eagles do not play Country music, they play Eagles music!

So true!

Glennsallnighter
12-21-2007, 10:08 AM

Good Point JC!

Ive always been a dreamer
12-22-2007, 01:05 AM
If this comes true, what do you say, dreamer & soda--how about a road trip back to Nashville? :thumbsup:

Hmmm - I dunno, DF - you'll probably have to twist my arm! :wink:

And MF - I just posted in another thread about how in the 70's, the country music establishment did not embrace the Eagles at all. They insisted that the music was not country music and that these long-haired, blue jeaned, drugged up hippies did not belong in country music.

Maleah
12-23-2007, 01:19 AM
True.........but you also have to remember that the Eagles certainly weren't real welcoming of the "country" title either. I don't think either was very fond of the other at the time. Now most modern country music has been influenced by the guys, though you will still find the purists that want nothing to do with them. You also now have the group being perfectly alright with the country title. I mean let's face it............country is really the only genre that would accept them now days sadly. What passes as rock music today certainly wouldn't open their arms to them. :roll: I have to agree with Don when he said in some interview that there isn't much good music out there but a lot of what IS good is coming from country music today!