PDA

View Full Version : Farewell Tour Continuity problems

katherine5832
12-22-2007, 10:45 PM
Okay, I know I'm being nitpicky about this - and maybe I'm just too way observant for my own good - but has anyone else ever noticed a couple of continuity problems in the Farewell Tour 1 DVD?

The first one is during Take It to the Limit. Don's got his jean jacket on, the cameras cut away from him, then they cut back and his jacket is off, they cut away again and when they go back his coat is back on. This is right when they are singing "Take it...to the limit one more time..." for the first time in the song.

The second time is during Dirty Laundry. Near the end of the song when they're all jamming, Don's to Joe's left (the viewer's right) and in the next camera shot he's back on Joe's right side. There was no way he could've moved over that fast! I know Don's a god and everything, but he's also a quick change artist and can transend time and place? The guy's awesome! :D

Seriously, though, is there anyone on this board who was at that concert in Melbourne who can shed some light on the details of these two incidents? Or, with all of the knowledgeable people on this board, maybe someone who wasn't there knows what happened. Obviously, they had to reshoot some footage for some reason for these two continuity problems to occur. All I can think of is how lucky those people were that they must've seen an even longer concert than what the DVD viewers are seeing. Lucky dogs!

Maleah
12-22-2007, 11:28 PM
From what I understand, it was recorded over several nights and footage from different nights were used throughout the dvd. There are several parts where Joe's hair is slicked back and then they cut away and come back and his hair is dry and flopping all over the place.

timfan
12-23-2007, 07:16 AM
There are also problems with Already Gone... Joe has been wearing the blue suit with the yellow shirt beneath and suddenly the yellow shirt is GONE!! and he is wearing a simple black shirt beneath the blue suit... :P

Seriously, the show in Melbourne was recorded over three nights and the acoustic section was recorded a fourth time I believe..... So it is only natural that there would be some contiunity difficulties.

katherine5832
12-23-2007, 03:18 PM
Thanks Maleah and Timfan for the info. I sure hope they bought multiples of their clothing (or at least had them cleaned) for each performance. Talk about your "Dirty Laundry!"

Now I'm going to have to go back and re-watch FT1 again (and again) to find the other continuity problems. What a chore! :wink:

sodascouts
12-23-2007, 03:32 PM
You know I didn't notice these problems until they were pointed out to me! I guess I'm just unobservant. Well, I did notice Joe's hair, but I thought that it just got out of place while he was playing. More careful observation shows me that is not the case! It looks so much better un-slicked - maybe someone informed him of that fact! lol

Once the problems were pointed out to me though, I noticed another one - in some shots towards the end, Glenn's hair is a bit tousled and some strands fall forward, then in the next shot the strands are combed into place, and vice versa. I like the tousled look myself. ;)

I think Joe must have done that different-shirt thing just to mess with everybody. He had to know - and had to have been told - that he needed to wear the same outfit every night. The only explanation is he did it on purpose! Wonder what Executive Producer Glenn Frey thought of that? lol

Jeff Cooke
12-23-2007, 06:00 PM
I noticed the differences but that's pretty common these days. It's not like the old days when you recorded a concert and that's what you got. Now they are able to edit in and out and, though it makes for a cleaner more polished product, it seems to lessen the authenticity for me.

Freypower
12-23-2007, 06:32 PM
There is another glaring lapse when Don has on his suit jacket during In The City when he's playing percussion and then he doesn't.

There were five shows in Melbourne but I think only the first three were used plus the separate acoustic taping. I was at the first show on November 14 2004.

There is no difference between the FI DVD and what we saw at those shows, except I thought the four Sydney shows were more relaxed and spontaneous.

Regarding their clothes they would have had them cleaned at the hotel.

timfan
12-23-2007, 07:29 PM
one other lapse I found involves Joe and Michael Thompson. During "Wasted Time" Joe is over beside Wil Hollis playing the organ. But when they switch to Wasted Time interlude; suddenly there is Michael Thompson in the exact spot Joe was in two seconds earlier... hehehe

Mrs Frey
12-26-2007, 07:54 AM
Thank you for pointing out these "funnys", Katherine! This just gives me another excuse to watch F1 again! I honestly didn't notice before - you are very observant! :shock:

Ive always been a dreamer
12-26-2007, 08:59 PM
There are actually quite a few of these little "problems". I'll also have to watch the DVD to remember all of them too. Tsk! Tsk! I do remember in one song (I think it is Funk 49, but I'll have to verify that) Joe's guitar strap keeps changing. Also, Don has similar hair problems near the end of the DVD - he has a little spike of hair that keeps bouncing back and forth on his forehead - kinda of like, now you see it, now you don't. :wink: As I said, I know there are other things that will come to mind if I think about it more.

07-28-2009, 07:40 PM
Something about this subject came up in another thread, so I looked this one up to post the link. Of course, I just HAD to go back and read it again. I was trying to think if we had missed anything here that I could remember off the top of my head. I decided to revive the thread cause I did remember one thing and thought maybe some of you may remember others. Check out Don's roving shirt sleeve in the 2nd half of the show, especially obvious during Sunset Grill. He has his right shirt sleeve rolled up at very noticeable different lengths throughout. There are probably some other things, but I can't think of them without having to go back and watch the DVD. Oh - the pains of being an Eagles fan! :wink:

shunlvswx
09-03-2013, 05:23 PM
I also noticed something else on the DVD as I was watching it today. Joe's ear monitor would be on his shirt one minute then its back in his ear. And its back on his shirt again while he's playing a solo. I don't think Joe has time to put it back in his ear especially when he's playing a solo.

thelastresort
09-03-2013, 07:20 PM
There's another one (I can't remember the song, sorry!) where Don is down at the front on guitar with all the others and in one shot he's wearing a denim jacket and in the next he's back in just his long-sleeved brown shirt. I might give it a watch again tomorrow but it's one of the acoustic, sat-down songs, like Tequila Sunrise...

shunlvswx
09-04-2013, 10:29 PM
I'm watching it right now. I just noticed something on Wasted Time at the end. One minute Don is holding the mike, the next minute the mike is on the mike stand and when they end the song, he's back to holding it. Oh Don. LOL You gotta love edit. LOL

I just noticed something else, before they go to break to change clothes for the second half, Don actually has on a different shirt because his buttons are very different. Another oops. But isn't he wearing a brown shirt. I noticed that too because it also looks black.

shunlvswx
09-05-2013, 10:02 AM
There are also problems with Already Gone... Joe has been wearing the blue suit with the yellow shirt beneath and suddenly the yellow shirt is GONE!! and he is wearing a simple black shirt beneath the blue suit... :P

Seriously, the show in Melbourne was recorded over three nights and the acoustic section was recorded a fourth time I believe..... So it is only natural that there would be some contiunity difficulties.

I also noticed Joe wearing that same black shirt as they sing "There's a new kid in Town" as the song ends, but majority of the time during the song he is wearing the yellow shirt.

I saw something else. You would see Joe's shirt button all the way up and the next minute he has one button open.

I saw errors on all the guys except Timothy. I couldn't find anything with him. You would have Glenn's hair different or Don and Joe's shirts are different.

I think I've been watching this DVD too much. This one and the HOTE DVD. lol

GlennLover
09-05-2013, 10:21 AM
I also noticed Joe wearing that same black shirt as they sing "There's a new kid in Town" as the song ends, but majority of the time during the song he is wearing the yellow shirt.

I saw something else. You would see Joe's shirt button all the way up and the next minute he has one button open.

I saw errors on all the guys except Timothy. I couldn't find anything with him. You would have Glenn's hair different or Don and Joe's shirts are different.

I think I've been watching this DVD too much. This one and the HOTE DVD. lol

You can never watch an Eagles DVD too much! :laugh:

shunlvswx
09-05-2013, 10:47 AM
You're right. :laugh: I've been watching HOTE a lot lately. I never get tired of watching it every day.

I'm watching the F1 right now as I'm watching. I will watch HOTE this afternoon. It definitely makes the day go by when you watching it. Or hearing it too.

shunlvswx
09-05-2013, 11:44 AM
OK. I take that back with Timothy. When the guys come back after their break, he's wearing a vest, but for the rest of the show he's not.

Freypower
09-05-2013, 07:02 PM
OK. I take that back with Timothy. When the guys come back after their break, he's wearing a vest, but for the rest of the show he's not.

If he took the vest off, that isn't a continuity problem.

shunlvswx
09-05-2013, 07:57 PM
You're right. He took it off.

He actually wears the vest until Life's Been Good. Its off for the rest of the show. That's my mistake on that one.

You're right. Its not a continuity. I didn't notice the vest pop back up in the middle of the songs.

So I guess its only Glenn, Joe and Don with the oops. I guess Timothy got the memo. LOL

Freypower
09-05-2013, 08:06 PM
You're right. He took it off.

He actually wears the vest until Life's Been Good. Its off for the rest of the show. That's my mistake on that one.

You're right. Its not a continuity. I didn't notice the vest pop back up in the middle of the songs.

So I guess its only Glenn, Joe and Don with the oops. I guess Timothy got the memo. LOL

Which are Glenn's continuity errors? You said 'his hair is different'. Which song/songs?

shunlvswx
09-05-2013, 08:07 PM
I think I notice his hair different in one of the songs. I have to go back.

shunlvswx
09-06-2013, 10:44 AM
I was going by Soda's reply earlier in the post about Glenn's hair.

I would see his hair parted and then its back to being slick back, but than he would had ran his finger through his hair at that moment.

09-06-2013, 12:55 PM
shun - IIRC it is Take It Easy where Glenn's hair is different like you described. However, it's been awhile since I have watched the DVD so it could be other places as well.

Freypower
09-06-2013, 05:48 PM
And in TIE it is not a continuity problem because they have just returned to the stage for the encore & his hair was wet. I was there; I saw that performance. Regarding Soda's comments I would need to watch it again.

thelastresort
01-26-2014, 10:39 AM
Here's one but I'm not 100%:

During Life's Been Good, after the extended solo when the verses restart, Joe goes '... hard to leave when you can't find the door' At that point there's a doorbell noise courtesy of Crago's SFX (I think) and I think Joe says something like 'Who is it?' but then goes back to singing unnaturally quickly and smoothly - basically I don't think it would have been possible to say that and then sing again less than a second later; so I'm guessing it's either not Joe who responds to the doorbell noise (or it's prerecorded), or it was a cut and paste job from two different nights.

sodascouts
01-26-2014, 04:24 PM
I've noticed that was unnaturally short, too, but hadn't thought about it - I bet you're right and it's a splicing together of the two nights.

thelastresort
02-22-2014, 02:40 PM
During Desperado Glenn stands to TBS's right over the same microphone. For most of the song his guitar neck points backward towards the little percussion area Scott usually inhabits, however when Don's singing 'open the gate' we see Glenn with his guitar along the front of TBS, pointing across stage towards Don.

02-22-2014, 03:05 PM
Good one, tlr - never noticed that one before. Now, I'm gonna have to watch the DVD again. :sigh:

:wink: :wink:

thelastresort
02-23-2014, 04:08 PM
I'm becoming too observant for my own good now! During Dirty Laundry and the repeating 'Kick 'em when they're up, kick 'em when they're down' outro, one shot focuses in on Joe singing 'Kick 'em when they're up', then for the next shot during 'Kick 'em when they're down', Joe is right at the back of the stage, next to Scott Crago, a split second later.

thelastresort
10-31-2014, 05:57 PM
Another one - just before the solo in Peaceful Easy Feeling there seems to be an oddly spontaneous cheer. Did Glenn do his now usual 'Who likes country rock in [place]' and it was cut?

Freypower
10-31-2014, 07:04 PM
I was at those shows & I honestly can't remember him using that line back then. I don't think he started using it until the LROOE tour but I may be wrong.

sodascouts
10-31-2014, 07:16 PM
I think he also said it during the Millennium Concert on the Selected Works, so it's been around a while.

Glennsallnighter
11-04-2014, 04:31 PM
Good one, tlr - never noticed that one before. Now, I'm gonna have to watch the DVD again. :sigh:

:wink: :wink:

Any excuse Dreamer!!:partytime:

11-04-2014, 11:49 PM
Yeah, GA. Actually, the anniversary of the taping of F1 is coming up in less than a couple of weeks. I am really going to try hard to find some time to watch the DVD again. I always think of my Mom when I watch the DVD because she used to stay with me during her late stages of Alzheimers, and I would always play it for her.

thelastresort
03-25-2015, 10:59 AM
Watching Disk 2 now and I note that one of the audience shots used after LITFL is the same as the one used on the first few notes of Desperado. Mind you, I suppose they could have reacted the same way twice...

NightMistBlue
03-25-2015, 03:21 PM
I think he also said it during the Millennium Concert on the Selected Works, so it's been around a while.

A really LONG while - he said it at the Voorburg show in Holland, October 3, 1973!

BillBailey1976
03-31-2015, 11:00 PM
There are actually quite a few of these little "problems". I'll also have to watch the DVD to remember all of them too. Tsk! Tsk! I do remember in one song (I think it is Funk 49, but I'll have to verify that) Joe's guitar strap keeps changing. Also, Don has similar hair problems near the end of the DVD - he has a little spike of hair that keeps bouncing back and forth on his forehead - kinda of like, now you see it, now you don't. :wink: As I said, I know there are other things that will come to mind if I think about it more.

It's not just Joe's strap. The whole guitar changes during Funk #49. The one with the printed strap has a gray body and the black strap has a black body.

04-04-2015, 01:26 PM
Thanks BB1976 - I'll have to check this out when I'm reviewing the DVD for the upcoming Survivor game.

AlreadyGone95
06-23-2015, 11:48 PM
I'm watching F1 right now, 2 things I noticed:

Don's not wearing his suit jacket while playing New Kid in Town, but he's wearing it again starting with Wasted Time

At the beginning of Dirty Laundry, Glenn is playfully slapping at himself, and you can clearly tell he's on the far right of the stage (if you're facing the stage). Less than 10 seconds later, he's almost on the far left, and the way that the shots are done, we would've seen him walk past Don to do so. He doesn't.

ETA: After watching the whole first part (up to the breakand change of clothing), I've realized that on the songs Don plays drums on, he's not wearing the jacket.

Freypower
06-24-2015, 01:28 AM
I'm watching F1 right now, 2 things I noticed:

Don's not wearing his sui jacket while playing New Kid in Town, but he's wearing it again starting with Wasted Time

At the beginning of Dirty Laundry, Glenn is playfully slapping at himself, and you can clearly tell he's on the far right of the stage (if you're facing the stage). Less than 10 seconds later, he's almost on the far left, and the way that the shots are done, we would've seen him walk past Don to do so. He doesn't.

Don isn't wearing his jacket in NKIT because he's playing drums. He took it off for that song.