PDA

View Full Version : Don Henley - Austin City Limits Live @ Moody Theater in Austin, TX - January 14, 2017

shunlvswx
01-15-2017, 03:34 AM
What a magnificent show. I loved every minute.

I'm going to skip JD & The Straight Shot. Onto the show. I loved how the radios hanging above playing different music and the spotlight is on those radios playing. The audience were singing along.

Don was in a great mood, very very talkative, and telling jokes.

I've heard stories of Don being hoarse at the beginning and his voice would get better later on in the show. That wasn't the case tonight. His voice was strong throughout the show. He hit every high note except at the end of New York Minute. I hate he doesn't do that high note anymore. I would think he would kept that in there since he hits other high notes higher than that.

The audience was very hype which was good. I've been to dead shows and this show was very much alive. The audience were singing alone to a lot of the songs. The audience stood up on Hotel California and Life In The Fast Lane.

The security was watching us like a hawk. They told us we could take pictures before the show starts, but had to put our cameras and phones away when the show started. I did get a few picture at the end, but they weren't that good.

When Don was introducing everybody, when they got to horn section, somebody was playing a certain type of music and Don was like this isn't a strip club or something like that. It was so funny.

He sung the usual songs, but we did get Everybody Knows (which I think he hasn't sung in concert since 2013. His tribute to Leonard Cohen)and Talking to the Moon (which I would had been very surprised if he didn't do it). Since we are in Texas, I think we will hear it in Sugar Land and San Antonio. Those the only two surprises of the night. He did do Best of My Love, Wasted Time and The Last Resort.

Overall it was an amazing show. I can't wait to see it tomorrow. He came on around 8:45 and played until 11:20. So he played 2 hours and 35 minutes.

Will, Scott, Steuart, Michael, Chris, Milo, and Lance were amazing. Erica, Lily, and Lara were amazing and have beautiful voices. It was good to finally see the old members who been with Don (and of course the Eagles) since the Inside Job era and of course Scott being loyal to the Eagles since 1994.

We saw Scott and Michael outside the building and they were so nice. Michael didn't seem so tall in person but he's tall. We talked to Scott for a few minutes. A very nice guy and very hot in person. Lol He still had a beard. I didn't get to talk to Michael, but that was nice of them to talk to us. Talk about luck and running to them and took the time to talk to us.

That's all I can think of at this moment. All those things of Don is always serious and doesn't smile went out the door tonight. He was so funny.

Here's the set list from tonight.
Seven Bridges Road-amazing harmonies.
Dirty Laundry
That Old Flame
Sunset grill
Witchy Woman
When I Stop Dreaming
One Of These Nights
New York Minute
Shanghai-Will played the bongos or congas (I can't never tell them apart) pretty cool.
Everybody Knows
It Don't Matter To The Sun
Best Of My Love
The End Of The Innocence
The Last Resort
Talking To The Moon-Will did such a great job on the piano. Steuart on there too, but couldn't hear him.
The Heart Of The Matter
Everybody Wants To Rule The World
The boys Of Summer
Life In The Fast Lane
Hotel California- Don plays the little congas or bongos. Whatever its called.
Wasted Time
Desperado

eagles557
01-15-2017, 03:42 AM
Great review! I enjoyed reading it, and thank you for posting the set list as well. Since this concert was at Austin City Limits, do you think it will be aired on tv at some point?

FreyFollower
01-15-2017, 10:12 AM
That's great, Shun! It sounds like Don was having a good time as well! Thanks for all the details. Hope you have a blast at the next show, too! Maybe you will meet some of the others in his entourage!

buffyfan145
01-15-2017, 10:55 AM
So glad you had a great time Shun!!! :D Thanks for the review too.

Witchy Woman
01-16-2017, 12:10 AM
So happy for you, Shun !! Thanks for the review !!

L101
01-16-2017, 08:22 AM
Great review Shun and I'm delighted that you enjoyed your first Don concert :grin:
Wish I had been there with you all but hopefully next time :thumbsup:

TW
01-16-2017, 04:32 PM
Thanks for sharing and including a setlist!

shunlvswx
01-17-2017, 11:02 AM
I remembered a few memories from some of the songs.

Seven Bridges Road: Amazing harmonies.

Dirty Laundry: He went straight into the song. So nothing said before the song.

He brought up how the world is going bat shit crazy.

That Old Flame: Before he went into Old That Flame. He tells the story about people finding you which could be a good thing and a bad thing.

Sunset Grill: He tells the story of the guy from Europe who owned a burger place. He also talks about you don't get to see the people who makes the clothes, food, etc, but you would see this guy all the time fixing the food.

I do want to say Sunset Grill sounds soo different. The song is usually synthesizer driven throughout the song, but it wasn't. You can hear it, but its not the main instrument you hear. You heard the guitar mostly then the synthesizer.

Witchy Woman: I don't remembered what Don said about this song. He did say this is a song from 1972 that he wrote with Bernie Leadon.

When I Stop Dreaming : He tells the story of the Louvin Brothers. A few people clapped and Don was like you've heard of them. Nobody outside of Nashville know that much about them or something like that. He was picking Erica Swindle a little bit. Calling her a Yankee even though she's from the Amarillo. LOL

One Of These Nights: A song from 1975.

New York Minute: I thought of Glenn during this song especially during the line "One day they're here. Next day they're gone."

Shangha-La: I think a few said they didn't like this song. I didn't either. I would always skipped that song when I play my CD, but it is soo great in concert. Will played the bongos or congas (I can't never tell them apart) pretty cool.

Everybody Knows: He brought up we lost a lot of people last year and brings up Leonard Cohen. This is a funny memory. As I think it was Will(it might had been Michael) started to play the intro of Everybody Knows on the piano and Scotty hitting the cymbals, the audience started to clap. Don then said you're dragging. That was soo funny. You gonna love Don.

It Don't Matter To The Sun: Don says they're going to sing in a semi-circle. Steuart plays the acoustic guitar on this song. He doesn't sing with everybody.

Best Of My Love: He said this was the Eagles very first no. 1.

The End Of The Innocence: Talked about he wrote this with Bruce Hornsby and everybody should go out and see him in concert.

The Last Resort : I love hearing the story about the woman who came from over from Europe. As you listen to The Last Resort more and more, you can hear that lady's story in the song. This is such a great song and I was happy to hear it in person.

He tells the story of how in 1968, Czechoslovakia wanted their independence and Russia was not happy about it. So they send in troops and stop it which was called the Prague Spring. I've never heard of that, but it was a nice history lesson.

Talking To The Moon-He brings up this is the only song he plays in Texas. Will did such a great job on the piano. Steuart on there too, but couldn't hear him.

Everybody Wants To Rule The World: He called the song Everybody Wants To Rule the World therapeutic with what's going on today in the world.

Hotel California: Don plays the little congas or bongos. Whatever its called. Steuart and Chris tore it up.

Wasted Time: Before he goes into the last two songs. Don brings up how last year has been a rough year for all of them and they appreciated their love, support and condolence. He says I wrote these last two songs with his friend and talented guy, Glenn. I did get teary eyed when Don and Lara sang this song. Don and Lara did a great job. I love Lara's voice. I don't know who else has her voice. Its unique.

Desperado: All I could do was think of Glenn.

shunlvswx
01-17-2017, 11:06 AM
I do want to say that I was soo amazed at being in the Moody Theater. That theater has so much history and its historic. I would had never thought in a million years I would be in the building where they taped Austin City Limit. It looks so different in place, but the security guy said they take out the chairs and also they can move around more as they are taping. But its a great place to visit.

I have a picture of me in front of Willie Nelson's statue that will post when I get home from work. Grr. lol

shunlvswx
01-17-2017, 11:19 AM
Here are some pictures from the Austin show.

http://www.croxtonmusic.com/donhenley_do512_acllive_1-14-17

shunlvswx
01-17-2017, 10:14 PM
http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/af341/shunlvswx1/IMG_02301.jpg

http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/af341/shunlvswx1/Don%20Henley%20at%20Moody%20Theater/IMG_02311.jpg

http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/af341/shunlvswx1/Don%20Henley%20at%20Moody%20Theater/IMG_02331.jpg

http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/af341/shunlvswx1/Don%20Henley%20at%20Moody%20Theater/IMG_02341.jpg

http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/af341/shunlvswx1/Don%20Henley%20at%20Moody%20Theater/IMG_02361.jpg

http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/af341/shunlvswx1/Don%20Henley%20at%20Moody%20Theater/IMG_02391.jpg

sodascouts
01-17-2017, 11:05 PM
Thanks for all the details, shun!

Ive always been a dreamer
01-22-2017, 02:45 PM
Thanks for your review, shun ... your enthusiasm is contagious. So glad you enjoyed yourself and I knew that Don would come through for you!

Brooke
01-26-2017, 02:18 PM
Fantastic review, shun! Nice pictures too! Thank you!

StephUK
02-21-2017, 08:48 PM
Review & photos

http://monkeygoosemag.com/2017/01/don-henley-live-moody-theater-1-14-17/

StephUK
02-21-2017, 08:55 PM
.....and another, with some really nice photos

http://coveringthelimelight.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/don-henley-kicks-off-2017-tour.html

StephUK
02-21-2017, 09:03 PM
...and another!

http://music.blog.mystatesman.com/2017/01/15/don-henley-plays-the-hits-and-pays-moving-tributes-at-acl-live/

P.S. I was at this show. I didn't write a review 'cos the review by shunlvswx was so good that I didn't have anything to add!
I really enjoyed the show, and Will looked SO gorgeous. :inlove:

shunlvswx
02-21-2017, 09:12 PM
Wait!!! Steph. You were in the US? i didn't know that.

StephUK
02-21-2017, 09:23 PM
I was at the Sugarland show too. We got tickets for that one first, and then when Austin was announced we got tickets for that too. We were seated on the floor at both shows, row 9 in Austin and row 6 at Sugarlands.
I was only in the US for a week, staying with my friend near Dallas, so she drove us in a kinda triangle from Dallas to Austin to Houston and back to Dallas.
We stayed at Hyatt hotels in both cities. Where were you staying?

shunlvswx
02-21-2017, 09:47 PM
I wish I knew you were there. We could had met. I was at both shows too. I wasn't supposed to go to the Austin, but my plans changed and I got a ticket to Austin too.

I was Red Roof Inn in Houston and Days Inn. I also went to Linden that Friday. It was a 20 minutes drive to both venues.

02-23-2017, 10:37 PM
Steph - Glad you were able to make it across the pond to see several of Don's shows. And thanks for all of your research in posting all the links to reviews and photos.

shunlvswx
01-14-2019, 06:46 PM
Today is the 2nd Anniversary of me seeing Don in concert in Austin.

I enjoyed going to Austin, Houston and Linden.

sodascouts
01-14-2019, 10:21 PM
Sounds like it was a lot of fun!

shunlvswx
01-14-2019, 10:39 PM
It was and then bumping into Scott and Michael after the show. Talk about being at the right place at the right time.

01-15-2019, 12:28 PM
Good for you, shun. Glad you had such a great time. And bumping into Scott and Michael was a bonus for sure. It's happened to us a few times in our travels as well.

StephUK
03-14-2019, 04:10 AM
I had a chat with Scott in the hotel bar after the Eagles show in Glasgow in 2009. Some of the other support musicians were in the bar also, but sadly not Will. Some of the road crew were there also, and many a drink was had by all, I think. Well, it was the 4th of July!

sodascouts
03-16-2019, 07:03 PM
I love hearing those stories!

Side note - I thought this concert was going to be re-broadcast and I had it set to record, but it disappeared off of my DVR. Did this happen to anyone else?

03-17-2019, 11:28 AM
Very weird, soda. I don't think that ever happened to me before.