PDA

View Full Version : Which song has really grown on you the more you hear it?

katherine5832
12-29-2007, 09:55 PM
For me it is Center of the Universe. Today, as I was listening to it, I felt like it was the very first time that I had really listened to it. I found myself listening more intently and wondering why I hadn't really paid much attention to it these past few days. With many of the other songs, I just loved them immediately. The others have definitely grown on me, but Center of the Universe is the one that I just can't get enough of today. It's like I got a belated Christmas gift today when I "discovered" this gem. I was driving around quite a bit today and found myself repeating this one over and over again. It's so melancholy...my heart actually feels like it's constricting when I listen to it. :cry:

Did any of you have a similar experience where one particular song all of sudden seemed more significant after you had a chance to listen to the CD over and over again?

sodascouts
12-29-2007, 10:03 PM
Yes! I have found almost all of the songs that I didn't initially like have grown on me. The one that grew on me the most dramatically was Somebody, which at first I had an adverse reaction to, but now think is terrific.

Freypower
12-30-2007, 06:16 PM
I would have to say Last Good Time In Town followed by Business As Usual.

Glennsallnighter
12-30-2007, 06:54 PM
I would say for me its 'Waiting in the Weeds'. Initially, while I liked the harmonies in it, it didn't have the same immediate impact that some of the other songs (WDIDWMH, IYWN, YANA) had. However the more I listen to it (and I mean really LISTEN to it rather than just 'hearing' it) the more I realise how unique and ingenious the lyrics actually are.

Ive always been a dreamer
12-31-2007, 01:52 AM
I would have to say Last Good Time In Town followed by Business As Usual.

Exactly the same for me, FP.

Mrs Frey
01-08-2008, 09:49 AM
For me it's definitely "Frail Grasp On The Big Picture" and "I Don't Want To Hear Anymore".

When I first heard FGOTBP, I didn't take to Don's vocal delivery in the verses immediately, as I thought it wasn't musical enough, and some of the lyrics didn't appeal to me. However, the more I listened to it, the more I enjoyed the wonderful instrumentation: the driving beat, the rip-roaring guitar solos (that remind me of those in "Get Over It" - not the melody lines, but the overdrive used and the sheer passion of the playing) and Don's message in the song. I know from reading the opinions in this song's thread, that his lyrics have caused quite an uproar, but I feel I understand the message that he's trying to convey, and don't believe he is malicious. I enjoy his humour in the verse about the "love drunk friend".

I liked IDWTHA when I first heard it, but it didn't hit me as hard as the other love songs like "What Do I Do With My Heart", "Waiting In The Weeds", "No More Cloudy Days", "I Love To Watch A Woman Dance" and "It's Your World Now". I really love it now - I find Timmy's voice especially beautiful when he showcases his gentle vibrato.

DonFan
01-08-2008, 11:33 PM
For me it's definitely "Frail Grasp On The Big Picture" and "I Don't Want To Hear Anymore".

I liked IDWTHA when I first heard it, but it didn't hit me as hard as the other love songs like "What Do I Do With My Heart", "Waiting In The Weeds", "No More Cloudy Days", "I Love To Watch A Woman Dance" and "It's Your World Now". I really love it now - I find Timmy's voice especially beautiful when he showcases his gentle vibrato.

I loved Frail Grasp from first listen--it is quintessential Don--but I agree with you on IDWIHA. That is the main song that has really grown on me over the last few months. It really does showcase Timmy's voice well--it is a perfect song for him.

sodascouts
01-09-2008, 12:34 AM
I liked I Don't Want to Hear Any More from the start... something about the intro catches my fancy.

tbs fanatic
01-10-2008, 01:07 PM
I would have to say 'What Do I Do With My Heart' - It didn't grab me at first but now I'm absolutely loving it. Glenn's voice is really winning me over. Dare I say it - I could become a Glenn fan :shock: Yep, Glenn could be pushing Joe out of his number two slot on my 'fanometer' (sorry Glenn only Tim can be in my number one slot).

Glennsallnighter
01-10-2008, 01:31 PM
My fanometer goes Glenn :heart: , Glenn :heart: , Glenn :heart: , Glenn :heart: :lol:

No, seriously, it goes Glenn :heart: Tim, Joe, Don. The last 3 can interchange but Glenn :heart: is always my no 1!

01-10-2008, 01:35 PM
I would have to say 'What Do I Do With My Heart' - It didn't grab me at first but now I'm absolutely loving it. Glenn's voice is really winning me over. Dare I say it - I could become a Glenn fan :shock: Yep, Glenn could be pushing Joe out of his number two slot on my 'fanometer' (sorry Glenn only Tim can be in my number one slot).

I know exactly what you mean. It is sooooo hard to chose between all these guys. Good grief - they are all so amazingly gifted (and not bad on the eyes either). How in the world did one band luck out with so much talent :?: :?: :?:

tbs fanatic
01-10-2008, 03:30 PM
It's a mystery :lol:

Glennsallnighter
01-10-2008, 05:56 PM

I know exactly what you mean. It is sooooo hard to chose between all these guys. Good grief - they are all so amazingly gifted (and not bad on the eyes either). How in the world did one band luck out with so much talent :?: :?: :?:

I think one look at your av says it all Dreamer!

Freypower
01-10-2008, 06:57 PM
Glenn/Joe/Don/Tim 8)

The song that I did tend to neglect was You Are Not Alone. I listened to this closely the other day and I found it deeply moving. :blush: I suppose there were several reasons for that.

glenneaglesfan
01-11-2008, 12:03 PM
I'm another one who really likes IDWTHA now. When I first heard it I thought it was a bit bland, but now I think it is powerful and moving, and Tim sings it beautifully. I've also grown to like Business is Usual - it's got a great raw rock appeal to it. Well, really I like all the songs on this album, but some have taken a little longer. I liked COTU and LGTIT straight away. As for WDIDWMH, tbs fanatic, well, Glenn is just awesome on this, and when he and Don sing together I whack the volume up in my car and sing along. I'm just sad when it finishes.

tbs fanatic
01-11-2008, 12:28 PM
Have to agree with you there - I'm really playing that one A LOT lately. :D

freyfantastic61
03-05-2008, 03:34 PM
:D My absolute favs' is Waiting in the weeds and What do I do with my heart and Do something. luv FF61

Mrs Frey
03-06-2008, 03:16 AM
I liked I Don't Want to Hear Any More from the start... something about the intro catches my fancy.

Soda, I know you posted this long ago, and I meant to comment on it long ago, but it kind of passed me by... :blush: Could your liking of this intro having anything to do with a certain count-in by a certain Mr Frey? :wink:

Mrs Frey
03-06-2008, 03:27 AM

Here's something else I meant to comment on, but never got around to. While Glenn :heart: is my outright sweetheart, I find it difficult to choose between the others. I tend towards Don after Glenn :heart:, but I suppose that's because he does so much of the singing, and I love his voice. I'm a voice person. 8) However, the others have so many attributes, and I love Joe's guitar work and powerful singing style, as well as his clowning on stage and loveable personality. I love Tim's quiet yet effective presence on stage, with his exceptional bass playing and high, soaring singing. I'd love him to do at least three songs in concert. We don't hear enough of Tim.

It is true that Glenn :heart: is an extremely good looking man, but ultimately it's his voice that makes him my no. 1 Eagle. I can listen to him continuously for hours, and on a daily basis. His voice is so beautiful, powerful and versatile. He has so many attributes, though - he has the whole package.

sodascouts
03-06-2008, 02:32 PM

Soda, I know you posted this long ago, and I meant to comment on it long ago, but it kind of passed me by... :blush: Could your liking of this intro having anything to do with a certain count-in by a certain Mr Frey? :wink:

LOL! No, I'm afraid not. I didn't even notice that until I'd heard the song several times.

sodascouts
03-06-2008, 02:33 PM
:D My absolute favs' is Waiting in the weeds and What do I do with my heart and Do something. luv FF61

Your first two are my faves, too!

katherine5832
03-07-2008, 12:09 AM
It is true that Glenn :heart: is an extremely good looking man, but ultimately it's his voice that makes him my no. 1 Eagle. I can listen to him continuously for hours, and on a daily basis. His voice is so beautiful, powerful and versatile. He has so many attributes, though - he has the whole package.

Interesting...insert Don's name in Mrs. Frey's quote and that pretty much sums up my thoughts on my number 1 Eagle. As far as the others, I'd have to put Glenn as number 2 because of all of his Eagles songs that I adore (TIE, AG, PEF, TS), Joe as number 3 because of his solo and James Gang stuff, and then Tim - well, just because someone has to be last. :?

Glennsallnighter
03-07-2008, 05:37 AM
I'm with MF on this one! Glenn :heart: is my #1 :wink:

After that Timmy (Timtot wouldn't let it be any other way :wink: ) Joe and Don. But that is not a slur on Don, as there is virtually nothing separating the other 3 after Glenn :heart:

StephUK
03-08-2008, 12:50 PM
The song that has really grown on me is 'Business as usual'. When I first played the CDs it didn't stand out in any way to me, but now it does. There's quite a lot to it. In fact, every time I listen to the CDs I pick up on something new - a particular lyric or a harmony or an little bit of one of the instruments that I hadn't previously noticed.....it's just that kind of CD

LOL
Steph

Maleah
03-09-2008, 02:08 PM
Center of the Universe has really grown on me! I thought it was ok to begin with...but now it's becoming one of my favorites!

thelongrun
03-18-2008, 01:32 PM
The thing is BBF, WITW, HL are favs since born, so the ones that really had grow... in me are:

You Are Not Alone
Center Of The Universe and main,

FG on the big Picture 8)

Glennsallnighter
03-18-2008, 08:32 PM
For me I was listening to a lot of Disc 1, but again, 'Center of the Universe has become a big favourite when I play Disc 2. I love the harmonies in it and the music. The words are beautiful too. I particularly love the line
'Someday with All the Stars to guide you, you will find your way back home'. Its a beautiful easy-to-listen to relaxing song.

I hope they do it in London!

Brooke
03-19-2008, 09:24 AM
For me I was listening to a lot of Disc 1, but again, 'Center of the Universe has become a big favourite when I play Disc 2. I love the harmonies in it and the music. The words are beautiful too. I particularly love the line
'Someday with All the Stars to guide you, you will find your way back home'. Its a beautiful easy-to-listen to relaxing song.

I hope they do it in London!

COTU is one of my faves, too, and your favorite line was my sig line for a while until a day or two ago! Wouldn't you know someone would mention it after I changed it?!

I have become recently enamored with No More Cloudy Days. I know it's kind of old, but I never played it much other than on the dvd, but now I just love it. And What Do I Do With My Heart (geez, that's a long title!) is growing on me, too.

katherine5832
03-19-2008, 05:56 PM
It seems very strange that I'm answering my own question, but Fast Company has grown on me over the last couple of months or so. When I first heard it, my first thought was "Did Don hurt himself singing that high?" and my second thought was "What was he thinking?" Now I love this song! I love singing along to it and find the lyrics wonderfully ironic. It's kind of their "do as I say, not as I did" song for their kids. It's now one of my favorites on the album.

SweetHolly
04-02-2008, 03:04 PM
Songs that have grown on me are Guilty Of The Crime, Long Road Out Of Eden, Somebody and I Don't Want To Hear Anymore.

Glennsallnighter
04-02-2008, 04:18 PM

Glenn :heart: knew who he wanted from the start and only picked the best :D

DonFan
04-02-2008, 06:15 PM
Glenn :heart: knew who he wanted from the start and only picked the best :D

Really? I don't think so..... :nope:

glenneaglesfan
04-02-2008, 07:06 PM
Df, I think your banner says it all! :wink: :D

I have lost disc 1 in my car and am feeling bereft. Elder son was insured for a week on my car and seems to have interfered with my music. :evil:

Katherine, I have liked Fast Company from the start, against the flow. I like the beat, and I like Don's voice - it's not classic Eagles but for me it has a lot to say, and provides a good foil to the other songs. I was lucky enough to get the promo cd last year (thanks to Soda), so have been listening to NMCD, FC and DS for quite a while.

TimothyBFan
07-03-2008, 08:16 AM
I went in search for a topic regarding songs on LROOE after my long trip back and forth to my mom's last night -and here it is, and here's why...

I got a call again yesterday that mom was sick again so in my hurry I forgot to grab my ipod. I went in search of cds already in the truck and found LROOE and popped it in. Of course I've heard it many times but have most of the songs mixed in with other stuff on my ipod and don't usually hear the actual cd. Last night it was a treat hearing each song one after the other. For some reason it really "GOT" me last night. I literally got chills when "How Long" came on for some reason! Now that's not to say that I don't get a thrill EVERY TIME I hear an Eagles song or see pics of them (many chills have covered this body seeing pics of Timmy :drool: ) but hearing these cds last night really affected me for some reason. Just the Eagles getting me thru another tough time in my life once again as they so often have in the past, without even knowing it. Just thought I would share and I'm sure all of you have had similar experiences?!?

07-03-2008, 10:59 AM
Good for you, TBF. Hope your mom is doing better. It is amazing how powerful good music can be for the soul, isn't it. It happens to me all the time when I'll listen to a song I've heard lots of other times, but suddenly a line, verse, or even the whole song will strike a chord in me like it never had before. :)

Glennsallnighter
07-03-2008, 05:53 PM
I hope your mom is doing better as well TBF.

Mrs Frey
07-04-2008, 02:31 AM
Oh, boy, TBF, if "How Long" is giving you chills now, wait until the Eagles start their concert with it at your very first experience after all these years. You are in for a TREAT, girl! :nod: :nod: :nod:

On a more serious note, I hope your mom is doing better, my dear. :hug:

TimothyBFan
07-04-2008, 10:45 PM
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. It isn't looking good again with my Mom. We put her back in the hospital yesterday and a MRI shows an infection on her spine (possibly a staff). They will be doing a spinal tap tomorrow morning trying to get a grip on exactly what they are dealing with. They have her very doped up and yet if you even touch her, she cries out in pain. My brother pointed out today that tomorrow will be exactly 1 year ago that we had our dad in the hospital and was told he only had a couple months to live. July's haven't been to good for us the last couple of years.

Brooke
07-05-2008, 10:54 AM
I hope they get this thing figured out for your Mom, TBF. I know it can be very stressful and trying for all of you. I'll keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

sodascouts
07-05-2008, 01:50 PM
Oh, TBF, I'm sorry to hear your mom is in such pain, and at such a sorrowful time of year for you. Here's hoping she pulls through.

rcknalwys
07-05-2008, 01:54 PM
I hope the docs get a handle on what's wrong with your Mom TBF. I'm sure you know there is a "super" staff going around called MRSA that is resistant to antibiotics. If that turns out to be the case, there are some older antibiotics that will fight it, but none of the cillins will work. I know this because my little one got it from a friend of mine. It is highly contagious, but IS curable so don't despair. My thoughts and prayers will be with you both.

DonFan
07-05-2008, 04:39 PM
The month of August is that way for me, TBF--I lost my dad and my grandmother in August, so right around the time my daughters start school each year, I remember that.

I hope your mother is better, and I am still keeping her in my prayers.

Mrs Henley
07-06-2008, 05:24 PM
I hope your mother would be soon better! I will pray for her!