PDA

View Full Version : Timothy In The UK 2017

Funk 50
01-30-2017, 06:40 PM
Timothy played some great live radio sessions when he came to the UK to promote Expando, a few years ago. He's scheduled for two BBC Radio shows this weekend.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/search?filter=programmes&q=Timothy+B+Schmit :-)

Philh
01-31-2017, 04:45 AM
Timothy arrives in London today. Hopefully some TV appearances too.

Annoying Twit
01-31-2017, 11:03 AM
Concert?

Philh
02-01-2017, 05:02 AM
No concert I believe but I hear options are being considered for some live dates at some point this year.

UndertheWire
02-01-2017, 05:36 AM
According to amazon uk, the CD of Leap of Faith will be released on 10th February (currently it's only available as mp3 or as an import) so that must be the primary reason for this publicity visit. There's a chance he'll announce some UK dates while he's here.

Philh
02-02-2017, 12:11 PM
Timothy is recording a session and interview today for Vintage TV.
Will find out when it will be broadcast.

Philh
02-03-2017, 03:02 AM
The session and interview will air end of march on the Friday night rock show on Vintage TV

Annoying Twit
02-03-2017, 09:00 AM
I wasn't aware of Vintage TV, and the website looks quite interesting, and it appears that TV can be watched from the website. The channel is on Freeview too.

carol7lynn
02-03-2017, 09:45 AM
Turns out he was in London to take part in Britain's UK Americana Award show where he presented Sturgill Simpson with the International Artist of the Year award on Feb. 2nd.

Stay Tuned!

CarolC :computer:

Philh
02-03-2017, 10:04 AM
Timothy is certainly being busy during his UK trip. He is currently being interviewed for BBC Scotland.

Freypower
02-03-2017, 05:06 PM
Turns out he was in London to take part in Britain's UK Americana Award show where he presented Sturgill Simpson with the International Artist of the Year award on Feb. 2nd.

Stay Tuned!

CarolC :computer:

I just saw a photo of Van Morrison receiving an award at that ceremony.

TW
02-04-2017, 12:26 AM
Timothy today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSfNIYGfkKM It's a shame that people don't understand the concept of personal space and the word no.

Funk 50
02-04-2017, 08:24 AM
I expect Timothy's loyalist fans to excuse is behavior but I was quite saddened to see this clip. Thanks for posting it, Timothyswife.

It's important to publicly appreciate your fans.

carol7lynn
02-04-2017, 12:54 PM
Timothy today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSfNIYGfkKM It's a shame that people don't understand the concept of personal space and the word no.

Absolutely Right!:headbang:

In all fairness the photog only posted a before video of a man who just wanted to get to his interview on time. How about on his way out of the studio? Any videos of that? How about some "Compassion" for a sixty-nine year old cancer survivor who woke up one day last year to find himself unemployed.

I noticed the same videographer also posted a video of Tracey Ullman glad handing fans AFTER she exited the same studio that day. How'd she act on her way in? Beats me! Until all evidence is in (e.g. after video ) then " I don't want to hear anymore!"

Stay Tuned!
CarolC
:steviesmack:

UndertheWire
02-04-2017, 01:11 PM
What's the fuss? He wasn't rude - he just looked like he wasn't sure what he was supposed to do and allowed himself to be hussled in.

Annoying Twit
02-04-2017, 01:51 PM
I expect Timothy's loyalist fans to excuse is behavior but I was quite saddened to see this clip. Thanks for posting it, Timothyswife.

Sometimes you're busy and have other stuff to do.

Funk 50
02-04-2017, 03:16 PM
Tim performing Red Dirt Road solo on BBC Radio 4's Loose Ends Sat 4th Feb.

It's available for 28 days which will be roughly the first week of March.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04rsps1 :smile:

Loose Ends Homepage: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08bypll :wave:

Freypower
02-04-2017, 08:47 PM

20 seconds and you extract that out of it?

Wow.

LuvTim
02-04-2017, 10:20 PM
What's the fuss? He wasn't rude - he just looked like he wasn't sure what he was supposed to do and allowed himself to be hussled in.

I couldn't have said it better.

carol7lynn
02-04-2017, 10:27 PM
Tim performing Red Dirt Road solo on BBC Radio 4's Loose Ends Sat 4th Feb.

It's available for 28 days which will be roughly the first week of March.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04rsps1 :smile:

Loose Ends Homepage: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08bypll :wave:
Thanks!

CarolC

Eowyn
02-05-2017, 12:05 AM
Okay -- I'm an idiot. How do you access the link for today's Loose Ends video?
I get to the episode page and there is is message that it is not available.

TW
02-05-2017, 01:53 AM
Eowyn, I can't get it to work either I think that we'll be able to watch it in a few days.

MaryCalifornia
02-05-2017, 03:20 AM

I get a sense from prior videos and interviews that Timothy reacts well when he's being a private person and someone politely approaches him. He also reacts well when he's being an Eagle/Solo Artist and he has a media engagement or knows fans or reporters are waiting for him. He seems to be thrown off, however, when he is acting in his professional capacity and is confronted with media that he hadn't planned for, as well as fans when he's in a rush. We have Borderers who have met him outside of a venue and he won't stop to take pics or sign things...he's not rude, he just keeps moving. We have also heard time and time again how sweet and generous he can be with fans. He definitely gets annoyed/uncomfortable in some situations, though - you can see it. I have no problem with that. He may very well have met with those fans after his interview. It really is unfair to expect someone to stop and sign things when he has a live on air appointment. You ask when he's done.

UndertheWire
02-05-2017, 10:08 AM
Here's a link for the Michael Ball show. Tim appears about 1 hour 24 min in, after "Reelin' in the Years". (Unfortunately my husband came in and started talking just about that time when I trying to listen live, so I I haven't heard much of it, yet).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08cpyhd

Michael Ball says he's a fan of the Eagles. Earlier in the show he read out a mail from a TBS fan (possibly around an hour in), so if you wrote about the wonder of hearing his harmonies live, Expando and importing Leap of Faith, it could be you.

ETA: He sang "Red Brick Road" and "Peaceful Easy Feeling" and sounded good with both. There was also a few minutes chat that covered the basics but wasn't all about the Eagles. I'd have liked more, but Michael Ball turned out to be well-informed and a decent interviewer. I think Timothy said they were just starting to have talks about playin in the UK.

Ive always been a dreamer
02-05-2017, 01:42 PM
Thanks for posting the link to the interview, UTW. I have to say that I got a kick out of this when Timothy remarked after Red Dirt Road "You should hear it when it's played right". I was thinking during the song that I liked his scaled down acoustic version better because it doesn't have the countrified music, especially the fiddle. Anyway, it was a really interesting interview and I hope Tim does do some UK shows. Of course, I loved his tribute to Glenn and he does a lovely version of Peaceful Easy Feeling.

Funk 50
02-05-2017, 03:03 PM
I agree with you, Ive always been a dreamer. I prefer Tim's solo version of Red Dirt Road to his album version.
It's a wonderful version of Peaceful Easy Feeling too. I guess the high notes at the end are what he would sing on the Eagles version. Tim's vocals are really in fine shape. :razz:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04ryyh5

I'm been searching for further UK broadcasts from Tim but as yet, I haven't found any. I'm still hopeful.... :-)

Philh
02-07-2017, 05:46 AM
Timothy is recording another TV show today in London.
It's another one for Vintage TV called "Needle Time"
Will find out when it will be broadcast.

Annoying Twit
02-07-2017, 06:20 AM
Thanks Underwire for the link. Thanks also for saying that the segment came just after Reelin' in the Years. Made it easier to find - and I got to listen to a section of the song too :)

Philh
02-08-2017, 04:05 AM
Timothy's interview with Ricky Ross will air on Feb 28Th at 21:00 GMT
Ricky's show is called 'Another Country' on BBC Radio Scotland

sodascouts
02-09-2017, 12:06 AM
Thanks for the info, Philh!

Regarding the video where he ignores those requesting autographs.... I've been both: the fan he passes by and the fan he's been generous to. I didn't change; the circumstances did.

It really is all a matter of catching him at the right time and in the right environment. If there's a lot of people rushing him, as a rule, he's not going to stop; he's not comfortable with that scenario. It has nothing to do with a lack of fan appreciation.

carol7lynn
02-09-2017, 12:14 PM
Like Nancy I have found TBS to be quite accessible. He stopped and signed a bunch of autographs for fans after his gig at the Coronet at the Largo in Beverly Hills back in Oct. 2009. This was not a planned event-it just happened.

Here's a pix of me standing in line. But again, it was after the gig. Seems like the best time to catch him.

Stay Tuned!
CarolC:computer:

NightMistBlue
02-09-2017, 02:11 PM

We're not sure those people were even fans. Why was it all older men? Maybe I'm assuming too much, but they seemed like those professional autograph collectors, i.e. they turn around and sell it on Ebay.

TW
02-09-2017, 02:25 PM
They might be, I don't really know but I've never really understood the concept of autographs. It's only a pen mark. What makes it so special? This video is just an example of what most celebs face when out in public. I shared it because I was wondering if any of you felt the same way about the issue. I understand that people want things but why can't they just accept the fact that he said no and then just give the man some space. Maybe just wait till later when he has more time. I know this isn't the way it works but it's a nice thought. They're just people :shock: I too would like to be able to thank him someday but there's a time for it. It just seems that sometimes people just aren't good at seeing when is the right time.

NightMistBlue
02-09-2017, 02:37 PM
Here's a link for the Michael Ball show. Tim appears about 1 hour 24 min in, after "Reelin' in the Years". (Unfortunately my husband came in and started talking just about that time when I trying to listen live, so I I haven't heard much of it, yet).

Thank you for the link, and you're a good wife not to say, "Babe, hush - I'm trying to hear this." :)

carol7lynn
02-09-2017, 04:24 PM
We're not sure those people were even fans. Why was it all older men? Maybe I'm assuming too much, but they seemed like those professional autograph collectors, i.e. they turn around and sell it on Ebay.

And, I've seen those guys in action. When Glenn Frey and his son did a benefit concert at the Roxy some years ago, I ran into two guys in the parking lot who were doing just that. They both had mailbag pouches full of old collectibles (mostly vinyl) and I do believe Glenn signed some of them. But, here's the kicker. We ran into the same two guys the next night at a Tom Petty Mudcrunch one-off in Malibu trying to get TP's signature.

Stay Tuned!
CarolC
:computer:

Delilah
02-09-2017, 05:05 PM

My thoughts exactly. I admit to be taken aback by Timothy's attitude; it just seemed out of character for him. However, I did notice the same thing about these "fans"--it's quite possible Timothy's camp recognized who they were and that's why they were given the brush-off.

Funk 50
02-16-2017, 03:06 PM
At last something to report.:thumbsup:

Timothy B Schmit will be on BBC Radio 2, Drivetime next, Wednedsay (22 Feb), chatting with presenter, Simon Mayo. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08f404h

The most recently played TBS track, on the entire BBC, was Goodbye My Love, which opened Iain Anderson's BBC Radio Scotland, show on Valentine's Day; http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08cvyc8.

:bye:

thelastresort
02-16-2017, 09:55 PM
I believe Simon Mayo is a big Eagles fan too. I can recall TBS and Glenn appearing on the same show when they were over here years ago promoting HOTE.

Funk 50
02-23-2017, 09:46 AM
Timothy's interview with Ricky Ross will air on Feb 28Th at 21:00 GMT
Ricky's show is called 'Another Country' on BBC Radio Scotland

Interview and session :grin:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08g7ssf

The last time Timothy did a promo trip to the UK, he performed quite a selection of solo live tracks, including Stevie Winwood's Can't Find My Way Home. I hope he performs something besides Red Brick Road during the Ricky Ross show next Tuesday. :thumbsup:

NightMistBlue
02-23-2017, 03:20 PM
Oh gosh, I can just imagine Timmy singing "Can't Find My Way Home"; that must've been lovely.

secret squirrel
04-13-2017, 12:20 PM
Unbelievable! TBS comes to the UK when I'm in Ireland. Missed it all. Can't work this out - did he play gigs?

Incidentally yesterday I was in Poundland in my local town, Sidcup, and I heard a gentle voice that I recognised. They were playing a song from the new album: Goodbye My Love. Way different to what you usually hear in there - the sort of music that makes you get in and out as soon as possible.

SS
xx
http://secretsquirrelshorts.blogspot.co.uk/2017/04/peter-quinn-rupert-friend-in-homeland.html

Glennsallnighter
04-13-2017, 07:38 PM
I was hoping too for some UK dates since they can often spill over into Ireland as well. I'd go to the UK to see Timothy.

Why didn't you tell me you were coming over here SS! Could have met up if your schedule suited,

secret squirrel
04-15-2017, 01:36 PM
I was hoping too for some UK dates since they can often spill over into Ireland as well. I'd go to the UK to see Timothy.

Why didn't you tell me you were coming over here SS! Could have met up if your schedule suited,

Hi - I didn't realise you were from Ireland. This was my 2nd trip as I liked it so much the 1st time so may go again. Started in N.I. a little village called Cushendall, then went back to Redcross in Wicklow. Are you near either?

SS
xx
http://secretsquirrelshorts.blogspot.co.uk/2017/04/peter-quinn-rupert-friend-in-homeland.html

Philh
04-21-2017, 05:34 PM
On tonight's Vintage TV Friday Night Rock show, Timothy did a short but good interview. It was recorded of course before the news of the Classic shows broke.
Timothy said that without Don and Glenn together there is no Eagles. Things have changed of course and I'm pleased they have.
Timothy sung My Hat on his own. Still watching the show so will post more later.

Timothy finished with Red Dirt Road, just him and guitar.

Funk 50
04-22-2017, 08:53 AM
I bloody missed it!

Thankfully it's repeated on Sunday night. So I'll put my organised head on and catch it then.

Personally I don't think a solo version of My Hat is a good advert for Tim's Leap Of Faith album. :neutral:

Thanks Philh. ;)

UndertheWire
04-23-2017, 04:51 PM
I just watched the interview part (if I get time, I'll try to transcribe tomorrow). In content, it was pretty similar to the other interviews he gave during his visit to London in February. I'm convinced he knew nothing about the Classic events and believed the Eagles were done.

Philh
04-24-2017, 07:54 AM
Tomorrow on Vintage TV at 22:30 Timothy is interviewed in an hour long programme called Needle Time. This was recorded around the same time as the Rock Show so the Classic shows were still unknown at the time.

UndertheWire
04-25-2017, 06:54 PM
If you notice Needle Time being scheduled again, please post. I had my Sky box freeze in the middle of recording it.

ETA: Answering my own question, it will be shown again at 10pm on Sunday 30th April.

Philh
05-14-2017, 09:21 AM
See my Twitter feed @philholbrook1 for a link to the full episode of Needle Time as it wouldn't copy here.