01. Lonesome Cowgirl
02. Too Many Lovers
03. Save The Last Dance For Me
04. Bad Man
05. Please Be With Me
06. Try And Love Again
07. Every Other Day
08. Take It To The Limit
09. Summer Wind (?)( new song, possibly)
10. I Really Want You (Here Tonight)*
11. Too Many Hands
12. Heartsong
13. Best Of My Love

* he calls it "I Really Want You"

NightMistBlue
02-17-2017, 11:23 AM
Summer Wind intrigues me. Are you familiar with the Frank Sinatra classic of that name - could it be that song?

If not, can you discern any of the lyrics? Sorry to pepper you with questions. It's so rare that we come across a Randy solo bootleg.

Delilah
02-17-2017, 12:22 PM
It's not the Sinatra song and I don't know that "Summer Wind" is the title; I named it that for convenience. :shrug: The song reminds me a little of "Oh Darling/Wait and See" at the beginning. Here are the lyrics so far (the audio is not the best, unfortunately):

Taken by surprise
By the ocean in your eyes
I think they say they finally found the shore
Funny how time...?
And you reach out to touch my hand
I finally found a harbor in the storm
Summer Wind
You can close your eyes and take you there (?)
Memories
Really thought I'd..........there again
Summer Wind
Summer Wind
Something in your eyes?
But we never said goodbye
Sometimes in a dream
I hold you close
.......? by the time
.......? the tide?
I reach out to touch...?
and it goes
Summer Wind
I can close my eyes and take you there
Memories
Really thought I'd ? you there again.....?
Summer Wind
Summer Wind

Summer Wind
....?thinking about you?
Summer Wind
Woah, Summer Wind
I said, Summer Wind
Close my eyes and take you there
Memories
...time I bring you there again?

Summer Wind
(Repeat)
Ooh, Summer Wind

NightMistBlue
02-17-2017, 12:28 PM
Beautiful. Wow, a new (to us) Randy song! Major discovery here.

East Texas Girl
02-17-2017, 01:44 PM
Wow, thanks for digging into this Delilah! What a great find indeed!! I so wish I could hear it myself.

NightMistBlue
02-17-2017, 03:15 PM
Let's keep on wishin' and hopin'. I'm sure D won't mind me sharing that "The Best of My Love" that Randy sings is not the Eagles song but the Emotions song of the same name! We knew he liked r&b.

Delilah
02-17-2017, 03:44 PM
I think I read somewhere that after Randy left the Eagles, he wrote 20-30 songs with a friend in Nebraska. I can't remember if that was before or after his debut solo album. Does that ring a bell with anyone? I'm just wondering if that's where "Summer Wind" originated.

(And no, I don't mind, NMB :) )

NightMistBlue
02-17-2017, 04:11 PM
I figured you for a sharing type of person. :)

It sounds vaguely familiar about Randy writing with a friend. 20 to 30 songs would be a real flat-out effort for anyone, and particularly Randy who has said he's more of a sporadic songwriter than a "write every day" person, like Glenn was.

Delilah
02-17-2017, 04:25 PM
Yeah I know, but he wasn't spending the bulk of his time touring and recording with the Eagles anymore, he was in Nebraska living a different lifestyle, and he finally had someone to write with on a regular basis. Maybe it was more like 20 instead of 30, but where did those songs go?:hmm:

East Texas Girl
02-17-2017, 04:55 PM
I am so in awe of you Delilah and NightMistBlue!! You are both finding new info on Randy that I have not read or heard before. I thought I had done a lot of digging but I have not found anywhere near the material you both have. :bow:

That is a lot of songs to have just disappeared...:headscratch:

NightMistBlue
02-17-2017, 05:04 PM
He's so mysterious! Mysterious Meis.

buffyfan145
02-17-2017, 05:50 PM
That is really cool finding a new song!!! :D Thanks Delilah for posting!!!

Delilah
02-17-2017, 06:09 PM
You're welcome Buffyfan. Hopefully at some point we will all get to hear it.

NightMistBlue
02-17-2017, 06:40 PM
I think I read somewhere that after Randy left the Eagles, he wrote 20-30 songs with a friend in Nebraska. I can't remember if that was before or after his debut solo album. Does that ring a bell with anyone?

I checked my Randyfile and didn't find that factoid but then again, it does sound familiar.

His Nebraska sojourn was really quite brief, only a few months. He left the music business approximately December 1978 and went back to Nebraska. By spring of '79, he moved back to California. Still, enough time for a writing spree.

Delilah
02-19-2017, 11:25 PM
Brief review:

Not a lot of dialogue in the beginning. He also seems just a bit reserved at first. Every song has a sax accompaniment, except Heartsong. Randy shows a lot of range throughout the show.

A special treat is having a live version of TALA. I know there's one from 1982, but this has his Eagles voice. The sax treatment gives it a jazzy feel; it reminds me of the BOML arrangement on the Millenium cd. After, someone says, "Can you throw another log onto the fire?" I suppose referencing the romantic ambience of the performance.

Every Other Day- probably my favorite track from this album. I love the faster tempo here but I miss David Cassidy's backing vocals. Ends abruptly after about 2 1/2 min.

TITTL - starts off with same piano arrangement as on the album then the sax and drums come in. He. Hits. The. High. Note. At. The. End. :singer:

Summer Wind- lovely, romantic tune with a breezy feel. Afterward, someone yells, "Midnight Flyer!" (I think). Randy jokingly says, "ok, 1,2,3..we were going to work that one up but we didn't."

I Really Want You Here Tonight - he holds that looong note at the end just like on the album. Afterwards, he introduces the band, saying, "Before I pass out..."

Band introductions - I can barely understand but I recognize some from the album credits: Kerry Morris -bass, vocals; Kelly Shanahan- drums; Danny Ullstrom - guitar, vocals; Scott ? - guitar, vocals. I could not understand who was on synthesizer or plays the gorgeous sax (David ?).

He then says he has to tune; makes me wonder if he's switching over to bass but I hear mainly guitar tuning.

Too Many Hands- some unfortunate tape glitches in the middle but what is cool and unexpected is the instrumental towards the end takes on almost psychedelic feel and a flute accompaniment is added, ala Jethro Tull! Very creative.

Heartsong- same beautiful song, same beautiful performance as on the album.

Best of My Love- my favorite from this show!! He is smokin' hot here. :woah: He announces the song, but it's the Emotions one! I think he missed his calling as an R&B singer. Seriously. He hits all those high notes. Now I can better imagine him singing Marvin Gaye on the bus with Tom Erak.

NightMistBlue
02-20-2017, 10:22 AM
Thank you, Delilah! I'm super excited to hear this. Hopefully, I'll get upgraded by the EZ Torrent mods and... well, I'll take it one step at a time.

Funk 50
02-20-2017, 12:55 PM
Try And Love Again has turned up on YouTube :yay: .. not sure about the sax :?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YJwnSlSvYA

Thanks a lot for the info and credits Delilah :-)

NightMistBlue
02-20-2017, 01:22 PM
That audio quality is not nearly as bad as I feared.

Maybe if we keep on wishin' and hopin' like Dusty Springfield, all the tracks will turn up on YouTube.

Funk, you're brilliant at finding things - they didn't even spell "Meisner" correctly.

East Texas Girl
02-20-2017, 02:10 PM
Thanks for the review Delilah!! So cool!

Also, thanks Funk 50 for the link. I really appreciate it!

Delilah
02-20-2017, 06:34 PM
You're welcome, Funk50 and ETG.

Yea, I'm glad it's shown up on YT. Hearing a live version of TALA from the 70s was something I didn't think would ever happen. I am thrilled about it (and the rest too)!

NightMistBlue
02-21-2017, 11:14 AM
A lot of people are enjoying the sax. I wonder if it could have been David Sanborn?

East Texas Girl
02-21-2017, 11:49 AM
I finally got to listen to TALA on YT and I agree with you Delilah, I love that it is in Randy's Eagles voice.

Delilah
02-21-2017, 12:26 PM
A lot of people are enjoying the sax. I wonder if it could have been David Sanborn?

I don't think it's Sanborn. It sounds like Randy is saying David "Flick" or "Flinch" and he appears to be giving credit for clarinet as well as sax. But it's hard to understand him at times b/c he speaks softly. Before IRWYHT, it's sounds like he's saying really fast, "This is one of my favorite songs" then he says clearly "I Really Want You."

After the band intro and before the tuning bit, he says something funny, b/c everybody laughs. I could swear he says something like "Tokyo last week" too.

BTW, the clarinet is heard on "Lonesome Cowgirl". At first I thought it might be a sax with a very alto tone, but now I'm sure it's clarinet.

NightMistBlue
02-22-2017, 02:57 PM
Listening to the "new" track Summer Wind right now - I love it! Delilah did a great job of transcribing the lyrics.

BOML: to my feeble ears, I hear two voices - Randy and somebody else. I wonder if it could be Donny Ullstrom. Randy is singing a few verses but I think it's primarily the other guy singing and also I don't believe that was Randy speaking in the introduction??

Update: drummer Kelly Shanahan was kind enough to chat with me online for a bit. He said that is indeed Donny Ullstrom singing lead on BOML.

Delilah
02-22-2017, 04:51 PM
Aww, that's so disappointing. Here I was thinking how great Randy sounded. Thanks for the update. I'm glad you cleared it up.

NightMistBlue
02-22-2017, 05:30 PM
Randy does sound great! You can hear him on several verses - he's kind of trading back and forth with Donny. Randy's microphone level is not as loud as Donny's.

It must be the famously clean air in Nebraska that enables the fellers to sing so high. :)

Delilah
02-22-2017, 05:41 PM
NMB, did Mr. Shanahan tell you who wrote "Summer Wind" or what real title is?

NightMistBlue
02-22-2017, 06:16 PM
No, but he thanked me and said it was good to hear it again. He didn't correct me on the title or my stated assumption that this is an unreleased Randy-written song. So... I'm going to cautiously assume that all of the above is correct!

East Texas Girl
02-24-2017, 05:43 PM
Listening to the "new" track Summer Wind right now - I love it! Delilah did a great job of transcribing the lyrics.

BOML: to my feeble ears, I hear two voices - Randy and somebody else. I wonder if it could be Donny Ullstrom. Randy is singing a few verses but I think it's primarily the other guy singing and also I don't believe that was Randy speaking in the introduction??

Update: drummer Kelly Shanahan was kind enough to chat with me online for a bit. He said that is indeed Donny Ullstrom singing lead on BOML.

Love listening to both of these "new" songs from Randy!!

NMB, it was so nice of Mr. Shanahan to talk with you. I love how you go close to the source for all things Randy!!

You are such a go-getter!! Keep up the good work! :grin:

Delilah
02-24-2017, 05:55 PM
I'm so glad you're enjoying these, ETG. I really thought Randy was doing something different with his voice on BOML and it never occurred to me it was someone else singing. Oh well. I'm just glad we have this concert audio from his first solo tour!

And NMB, you're definitely a go-getter!

East Texas Girl
02-24-2017, 06:41 PM
Oh, I am definitely enjoying them Delilah!! I am just totally fascinated with everything from Mr. Randy Meisner. :smitten:

NightMistBlue
02-24-2017, 08:28 PM
Thank you, sweet ladies. I'm actually very shy, but I guess Randy is powerful motivation who draws me out of my shell :)

I'd also like to correct something I posted earlier. The Dime a Dozen site doesn't make you download torrents you're not interested in and doesn't make you review things before you can download. I misunderstood.
There's a learning curve, if like me you don't know about this stuff, but it's worth it. The Randy concert is really something special.

Funk50 is probably getting tired of us thanking him, so I will just say: dude, you're alright with me.

East Texas Girl
02-27-2017, 12:52 PM
Thanks again Funk50 for bringing this concert to our attention!!

rockitboy
02-28-2017, 05:02 PM
Hi,

I'm new to this bulletin board. My name is Donny Ullstrom and I recorded with Randy on his first solo album in January of 1978. I also toured with his band the following summer in support of that album. I see that there are links to one of our shows in August at the Golden Bear in Huntington Beach.
Thank you to whoever posted those links. I was actually not aware that anyone was recording audio that night.
I have a treat for everyone ! I have a recording of the monitor mix from our last show with Randy. I believe it was Sept. 6th or 8th 1978 at the Universal Amphitheatre when it was still an open air venue. We opened for Bob Welch . Christine McVie and Mick Fleetwood were there to support him.
I'm in the process of getting that recording into my computer. Would you like me to upload that file to this bulletin board ?

Donny

scottside
02-28-2017, 05:30 PM
Hi,

I'm new to this bulletin board. My name is Donny Ullstrom and I recorded with Randy on his first solo album in January of 1978. I also toured with his band the following summer in support of that album. I see that there are links to one of our shows in August at the Golden Bear in Huntington Beach.
Thank you to whoever posted those links. I was actually not aware that anyone was recording audio that night.
I have a treat for everyone ! I have a recording of the monitor mix from our last show with Randy. I believe it was Sept. 6th or 8th 1978 at the Universal Amphitheatre when it was still an open air venue. We opened for Bob Welch . Christine McVie and Mick Fleetwood were there to support him.
I'm in the process of getting that recording into my computer. Would you like me to upload that file to this bulletin board ?

Donny

ABSOLUTELY, YES!!!!!

Hi Donny...I remember seeing your name in the credits when I first bought Randy's debut album on vinyl back in the late 70s.

NightMistBlue
02-28-2017, 05:36 PM
Oh my gosh!! That would be so wonderful.

Mr. Ullstrom, I love your singing on "Best of My Love" - it's so much fun. I've listened to it over and over.

I sent you a PM on Facebook of the track, in mp3 format.

This is so exciting! Welcome, Donny :faint:

rockitboy
02-28-2017, 05:56 PM
I will figure out how to do that as soon as I get it into my computer.

This is a great Bulletin Board ! Brings back so many good memories.

And thank you for the compliment. Best Of My Love was such a great song.

Randy wanted me to introduce it every night since I was singing it, and I would always say, "We're going to do a song now by some friends of ours. It's one called Best Of My Love." Naturally, everyone would think we were going to play the Eagles, Best Of My Love. Then we would start into this song and surprise everyone. I think you can hear me say "Fooled Ya".

East Texas Girl
02-28-2017, 06:13 PM
Mr. Ullstrom, I agree with everyone else-that would be awesome!! Love the rendition and I got a big kick out of "fooled ya". I would love to hear more from you too.

Delilah
02-28-2017, 07:01 PM
Hi,

Donny

Hello, Donny/rockitboy, and welcome to the board! It's terrific that someone who actually performed with Randy is posting here. I have listened to the Golden Bear concert and even with a cassette tape recording, I can hear how tight the band sounded. I imagine you all practiced a lot. And your performance on "Best of My Love" is awesome (granted, I thought it was Randy at first :blush:).

Hearing a recording from the last show would be more than a treat; it would be an absolute gift. There's so little in the way of live recordings from Randy's solo career. Thank you so much for offering...and I will try not to bombard you with a million questions, lol.

Brooke
03-01-2017, 11:33 AM
Wow! Welcome to the Border, rockitboy/Donny! How fantastic that you found us and actually posted!

I will listen asap! At work and supposed to be busy (:lol:) at the moment!

LuvTim
03-01-2017, 11:46 AM
Oh my gosh!! That would be so wonderful.

Mr. Ullstrom, I love your singing on "Best of My Love" - it's so much fun. I've listened to it over and over.

I sent you a PM on Facebook of the track, in mp3 format.

This is so exciting! Welcome, Donny :faint:

Wow, this really is super cool. :smokin:

NMB- You gonna be ok? I know it's a lot of excitement! Lol!! :-D

LuvTim
03-01-2017, 11:48 AM
Hi,

Donny
Welcome!! Yay! :yay:

NightMistBlue
03-01-2017, 01:05 PM
Wow, this really is super cool. :smokin:

NMB- You gonna be ok? I know it's a lot of excitement! Lol!! :-D

I'm doing deep breathing exercises to keep calm :)

rockitboy
03-01-2017, 04:09 PM
Brief review:

Not a lot of dialogue in the beginning. He also seems just a bit reserved at first. Every song has a sax accompaniment, except Heartsong. Randy shows a lot of range throughout the show.

A special treat is having a live version of TALA. I know there's one from 1982, but this has his Eagles voice. The sax treatment gives it a jazzy feel; it reminds me of the BOML arrangement on the Millenium cd. After, someone says, "Can you throw another log onto the fire?" I suppose referencing the romantic ambience of the performance.

Every Other Day- probably my favorite track from this album. I love the faster tempo here but I miss David Cassidy's backing vocals. Ends abruptly after about 2 1/2 min.

TITTL - starts off with same piano arrangement as on the album then the sax and drums come in. He. Hits. The. High. Note. At. The. End. :singer:

Summer Wind- lovely, romantic tune with a breezy feel. Afterward, someone yells, "Midnight Flyer!" (I think). Randy jokingly says, "ok, 1,2,3..we were going to work that one up but we didn't."

I Really Want You Here Tonight - he holds that looong note at the end just like on the album. Afterwards, he introduces the band, saying, "Before I pass out..."

Band introductions - I can barely understand but I recognize some from the album credits: Kerry Morris -bass, vocals; Kelly Shanahan- drums; Danny Ullstrom - guitar, vocals; Scott ? - guitar, vocals. I could not understand who was on synthesizer or plays the gorgeous sax (David ?).

He then says he has to tune; makes me wonder if he's switching over to bass but I hear mainly guitar tuning.

Too Many Hands- some unfortunate tape glitches in the middle but what is cool and unexpected is the instrumental towards the end takes on almost psychedelic feel and a flute accompaniment is added, ala Jethro Tull! Very creative.

Heartsong- same beautiful song, same beautiful performance as on the album.

Best of My Love- my favorite from this show!! He is smokin' hot here. :woah: He announces the song, but it's the Emotions one! I think he missed his calling as an R&B singer. Seriously. He hits all those high notes. Now I can better imagine him singing Marvin Gaye on the bus with Tom Erak.

Hi Delilah,
This is Donny Ullstrom from the Randy Meisner band. You were talking about the quote "Can you throw another log onto the fire?" That was Kerry Morris, the bass player for Randy. It was very funny at the time because it
was VERY hot in that room that night. No A/C, no fans, no breeze. That is something about that night that I will never forget.

Delilah
03-01-2017, 05:31 PM
Hi Delilah,
This is Donny Ullstrom from the Randy Meisner band. You were talking about the quote "Can you throw another log onto the fire?" That was Kerry Morris, the bass player for Randy. It was very funny at the time because it
was VERY hot in that room that night. No A/C, no fans, no breeze. That is something about that night that I will never forget.

Thanks for clearing that up! That puzzled me, b/c why would someone want to throw another log on in California during August, lol. The quote is actually, "Can someone throw another log on?" In my zeal, I added "to the fire" by mistake. I was also wondering who was saying it.

Do you mind telling us who the other band members were (who played the sax, synthesizer, etc)? Did Randy play bass at all during the show? Any extra tidbits of info would be most welcome!

rockitboy
03-01-2017, 06:02 PM
Thanks for clearing that up! That puzzled me, b/c why would someone want to throw another log on in California during August, lol. The quote is actually, "Can someone throw another log on?" In my zeal, I added "to the fire" by mistake. I was also wondering who was saying it.

Do you mind telling us who the other band members were (who played the sax, synthesizer, etc)? Did Randy play bass at all during the show? Any extra tidbits of info would be most welcome!

Hi Delilah,
The bass player was Kerry Morris who now lives in Florida, Kelly Shanahan was the drummer. He still lives in L.A. Scott Shelly played guitar and keyboards. Steve Edwards played guitar and for the life of me, I can't remember the name of the sax player. He was very good though. He played sax, clarinet and flute.
There was a question about the song Summer Wind. I listened to that recording and honestly I can't even remember playing that song so I can't help to let anyone know if Randy wrote it or not.
Randy didn't play bass at all. He and I played acoustic guitar on this tour. It was a challenge for both of us to learn the guitar as we both had never played anything but bass.

NightMistBlue
03-01-2017, 06:17 PM
Could the sax/flute/clarinet player have been Bray Ghiglia?

Delilah
03-01-2017, 06:28 PM
Rockitboy, the name of the sax player sounds like "David" but I couldn't make out his last name (Flick or Flinch? Maybe that rings a bell). I agree he was good. The flute on "Too Many Hands" was a surprising touch. Do you remember how that arrangement came about?

There's not a whole lot of information about this tour. Do you remember how long it lasted, did you go out of state? What was Randy's favorite song; what was yours?

If I'm bugging you with too many questions, I apologize. Just let me know and I'll :ziplip: :-)

rockitboy
03-01-2017, 07:31 PM
Could the sax/flute/clarinet player have been Bray Ghiglia?

That name does sound familiar. I know is was an odd first name.

rockitboy
03-01-2017, 07:54 PM
Rockitboy, the name of the sax player sounds like "David" but I couldn't make out his last name (Flick or Flinch? Maybe that rings a bell). I agree he was good. The flute on "Too Many Hands" was a surprising touch. Do you remember how that arrangement came about?

There's not a whole lot of information about this tour. Do you remember how long it lasted, did you go out of state? What was Randy's favorite song; what was yours?

If I'm bugging you with too many questions, I apologize. Just let me know and I'll :ziplip: :-)

Don't worry Delilah. Never too many questions.
Actually, that jazz arrangement on Too Many Hands came about during rehearsals. We rehearsed for 3 months before we ever played a show.
We were playing that song and it was late and we were feeling adventurous.
I think the keyboard player actually began to play jazz licks at the end of the song so we all kind of fell into an improvisational mood and that's how it came about. These guys were SO good that they could literally play anything. I felt like a duck out of water a little bit. I never felt that I was up to the level of musicianship of these guys. I don't know if you knew that the guys in this band played in Boz Scaggs band. Boz's band that he recorded with were the guys that turned into ToTo. Jeff Porcaro, Steve Porcaro, David Hungate & Steve Lukather. When they started having success with that band, Boz replaced them with the guys that ended up being Randy's band. In fact, Boz came to see us one night when we played the Boarding House in San Francisco so he could reconnect with them.
The tour didn't last long. I think the Golden Bear might have been our first job. That was August 26th. And our last job was Sept. 6th at the Universal Amphitheatre. We played a couple of nights at the Boarding House in San Francisco and an outdoor concert with Sammy Hagar and Heart.
As far a favorite song for Randy, I don't know that answer. I think my favorite song had to be Best Of My Love. But there was something about every song we played that was good. It was definitely the best band I've ever played in !

Delilah
03-01-2017, 08:07 PM
Thanks so much, rockitboy! I didn't know about the Boz Scaggs-Toto connection. That's really interesting. What a bummer the tour didn't last long. Thank goodness there are some live recordings. I love listening to every track on the Golden Bear bootleg, even with the subpar audio.

rockitboy
03-01-2017, 08:47 PM
Thanks so much, rockitboy! I didn't know about the Boz Scaggs-Toto connection. That's really interesting. What a bummer the tour didn't last long. Thank goodness there are some live recordings. I love listening to every track on the Golden Bear bootleg, even with the subpar audio.

Thanx Delilah. I'm working to get that recording of the Universal job in my computer so I can upload it. It's a recording of a monitor mix, so the keyboards are a little distant in some songs, but the quality of the recording is very good.

Funk 50
03-02-2017, 08:23 AM
Thanks for showing up and contributing, rockitboy (Donny Ullstrom from the Randy Meisner band) and for answering Delilah's great questions.

There have been years when we've heard little to nothing at all from Randy's camp so, having someone around from his backing band is a real treat and makes this a wonderful time to a Randy fan.

I look forward to hearing your recording of the final 1978 show. I regularly visit the huge internet, live show, archives hoping to find some Eagles fare, especially Randy's, as they are so hard to find.

http://bootlegsworldwide.blogspot.co.uk/
http://theultimatebootlegexperience7.blogspot.co.uk/

I've read somewhere that Randy was quite a serial archivist, routinely recording sessions and shows for his own purposes. Is this true of the time you spent with him Donny?

....and congratulations on being a (granted small) part of the Eagles legend Donny :bow:

NightMistBlue
03-02-2017, 08:48 AM
This is from the Randy Meisner Concert Chronology, an excellent resource by someone called Deliverin' (a Poco fan, clearly):

July 21 Cabaret Club, Aspen, CA
July 25 Municipal Auditorium, Birmingham, AL
July 27 Coliseum, Biloxi, MS
July 28 Centroplex, Baton Rogue, LA
July 29 Convention Center Arena, Pine Bluff, AK
July 30 Coliseum, Nashville, TN
August 1 Mid-South Coliseum, Memphis, TN
August 2 Mississippi River Festival, SIU, Edwardsville, IL
August 4 Miami Stadium, Miami, FL
August 5 Tangerine Bowl, Orlando, FL Jimmy Buffett, Steve Miller, Little River Band: Meisner cancelled and local band Southpaw replaced him
August 8 Coliseum, Nashville, TN
August 25-26 Golden Bear, Huntington Beach, CA
September 1-3 Roxy, Los Angeles, CA Bill Champlin
September 5-7 Boarding House, San Francisco, CA
September 8 Universal Amphitheatre, Universal City, CA Bob Welsh

rockitboy
03-02-2017, 01:20 PM
Thanks for showing up and contributing, rockitboy (Donny Ullstrom from the Randy Meisner band) and for answering Delilah's great questions.

There have been years when we've heard little to nothing at all from Randy's camp so, having someone around from his backing band is a real treat and makes this a wonderful time to a Randy fan.

I look forward to hearing your recording of the final 1978 show. I regularly visit the huge internet, live show, archives hoping to find some Eagles fare, especially Randy's, as they are so hard to find.

http://bootlegsworldwide.blogspot.co.uk/
http://theultimatebootlegexperience7.blogspot.co.uk/

I've read somewhere that Randy was quite a serial archivist, routinely recording sessions and shows for his own purposes. Is this true of the time you spent with him Donny?

....and congratulations on being a (granted small) part of the Eagles legend Donny :bow:

Hi Funk 50

I am not aware of any recordings that Randy made of us. He certainly may have though.
I guess I am a small(very) part of Eagles history. My wife and I flew with the Eagles on their party plane, to a concert in Oakland in August of 1976.
It was a lot of fun ! At the time, Henley was dating Stevie Nicks so she was on the plane too. I believe the show was Loggins & Messina, then Linda Rondstat and the Eagles were of course the headliners. I have a Super8 video of the day. I get it out every once in a while just to re-live that experience.

rockitboy
03-02-2017, 01:28 PM
This is from the Randy Meisner Concert Chronology, an excellent resource by someone called Deliverin' (a Poco fan, clearly):

July 21 Cabaret Club, Aspen, CA
July 25 Municipal Auditorium, Birmingham, AL
July 27 Coliseum, Biloxi, MS
July 28 Centroplex, Baton Rogue, LA
July 29 Convention Center Arena, Pine Bluff, AK
July 30 Coliseum, Nashville, TN
August 1 Mid-South Coliseum, Memphis, TN
August 2 Mississippi River Festival, SIU, Edwardsville, IL
August 4 Miami Stadium, Miami, FL
August 5 Tangerine Bowl, Orlando, FL Jimmy Buffett, Steve Miller, Little River Band: Meisner cancelled and local band Southpaw replaced him
August 8 Coliseum, Nashville, TN
August 25-26 Golden Bear, Huntington Beach, CA
September 1-3 Roxy, Los Angeles, CA Bill Champlin
September 5-7 Boarding House, San Francisco, CA
September 8 Universal Amphitheatre, Universal City, CA Bob Welsh

Hi NightMistBlue,

Thanx for posting this chronology. I haven't seen this since 1978.
Unfortunately, we didn't play most of these dates. I'm not sure why, but the first bunch of dates were cancelled by Randy. The only ones we actually played were from the Golden Bear to the Universal Amphitheatre.
The Roxy was a lot of fun. One of Bill Champlin's back up singers that night was Bobby Kimball, who of course went on to be the lead singer of ToTo. Later on Bill joined Chicago.

rockitboy
03-02-2017, 02:33 PM
Oh my, that is unfortunate. You guys were such a hot band, I mean that sincerely.

This is too sensitive of a topic to get into, but Randy has been quoted (most notably in the book "To the Limit" by Marc Eliot) that he thought Irving Azoff may have been blackballing him in the industry, making it hard for him to book dates for his band.

Once I was "talking' online with a woman who had done publicity for Randy's first solo album. I asked her about the Azoff charge and she said, "It's possible." Then soon after, she deleted her comment! People are scared of that guy.

I am not sure of everything that happened with Irv but, I know one day he came to our rehearsal on Sunset Blvd to listen to the band. He went outside with Randy for a talk. I don't know what transpired but, Randy came back in the building not very happy. Irv obviously had allegiances to Don & Glen. It's too bad that more support was given to Randy. After our Universal show, I had to return to Nebraska, as I had a wife and baby to support. I think Randy changed management and record companies after that.

NightMistBlue
03-02-2017, 02:43 PM
He did, he went with Trudy Green, who worked closely with Howard Kaufman, the longtime accountant and later manager for Chicago (Chicago again!). Kaufman then teamed up with Azoff.

We're learning so much from you - thank you, Donny! I hope Randy writes his autobiography someday but I guess he's really private.

East Texas Girl
03-02-2017, 03:27 PM
Wow rockitboy!! I am loving the stories you are sharing! I have thoroughly enjoyed hearing the Huntington Beach concert. You guys were great!

It is a shame that Randy did not get more support for his solo career. He really put out some great music, I listen to his albums all the time.

That's so cool that you got to travel on the party plane. Ohh, to be a fly on the wall for that! I don't blame you a bit for watching your video, I would do the same thing.

I look forward to hearing more from you.

rockitboy
03-02-2017, 03:37 PM
He did, he went with Trudy Green, who worked closely with Howard Kaufman, the longtime accountant and later manager for Chicago (Chicago again!). Kaufman then teamed up with Azoff.

We're learning so much from you - thank you, Donny! I hope Randy writes his autobiography someday but I guess he's really private.

Yes, Randy is pretty private. And after what happened to his wife, he's probably even more that way. I thought it was wrong to not include him in the Hell Freezes Over album and tour. I think it would have been cool to start their show with the original 4, and then bring the other ones on stage in the order that they joined the band. My wife and I were out in California right after the Hell Freezes Over started. We visited Randy & Lana and Randy didn't say much about it, but I'm sure he was hurt by it.

Delilah
03-02-2017, 05:29 PM
Hi, rockitboy, your sharing is much appreciated. I'm surprised that many dates were cancelled by Randy. I can't help but wonder if he was apprehensive about going out on the road as a solo act. But that's just speculation on my part. I think it took a lot of guts to leave a highly successful band like the Eagles to go out on his own.

I'd like to ask about something I read on the nebrocks website. It says that you played on several of Randy's solo albums. Is that true (other than the debut)? I know sometimes musicians play but don't get credited. There's some conflicting info on Randy's album wiki pages I'd like to clear up.

BTW, there is a Drivin' Dynamics thread on this Randy forum. Please feel free to contribute to it. I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd like to learn more about Randy's first band.

Edit: Your input is welcome on any of the threads!

rockitboy
03-02-2017, 06:02 PM
Hi, rockitboy, your sharing is much appreciated. I'm surprised that many dates were cancelled by Randy. I can't help but wonder if he was apprehensive about going out on the road as a solo act. But that's just speculation on my part. I think it took a lot of guts to leave a highly successful band like the Eagles to go out on his own.

I'd like to ask about something I read on the nebrocks website. It says that you played on several of Randy's solo albums. Is that true (other than the debut)? I know sometimes musicians play but don't get credited. There's some conflicting info on Randy's album wiki pages I'd like to clear up.

BTW, there is a Drivin' Dynamics thread on this Randy forum. Please feel free to contribute whatever you'd like to it. I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd like to learn more about Randy's first band.

I think you might be right about Randy being apprehensive. He would have to have known how critical some can be. He's kind of like me in the sense that he wanted to be the bass player that nobody pays attention to, and let Don & Glenn do the front man duties. I have a T shirt that says, "You would notice if I quit playing ". It's true that most people don't notice the bass player but in Randy's case, when you can sing like that, you're going to get noticed !
I thought Randy did a great job of being the leader of the Randy Meisner band.

Actually, I was only on his debut album. After that faded, he had a new band, I think called the Silverados. I went back to Nebraska and started my own band with my wife. We played together for 42 years. We just played our last job last New Years. Our drummer quit to move to Nashville and take a shot at the big time. We are getting older and decided that we had started over enough times, so we decided to retire.

NightMistBlue
03-02-2017, 06:20 PM
I thought Randy did a great job of being the leader of the Randy Meisner band.

He sure did. And kudos to you and your wife for slugging it out for 42 years!

Delilah
03-02-2017, 06:27 PM
He sure did. And kudos to you and your wife for slugging it out for 42 years!

Ditto!!

Funk 50
03-03-2017, 03:40 PM
Actually, I was only on his debut album. After that faded, he had a new band, I think called the Silverados. I went back to Nebraska and started my own band with my wife. We played together for 42 years. We just played our last job last New Years. Our drummer quit to move to Nashville and take a shot at the big time. We are getting older and decided that we had started over enough times, so we decided to retire.

So a forty year anniversary reunion of The Randy Meisner Band is out of the question then :cry:

NightMistBlue
03-03-2017, 03:56 PM
My wife and I flew with the Eagles on their party plane, to a concert in Oakland in August of 1976.
It was a lot of fun ! At the time, Henley was dating Stevie Nicks so she was on the plane too. I believe the show was Loggins & Messina, then Linda Rondstat and the Eagles were of course the headliners. I have a Super8 video of the day. I get it out every once in a while just to re-live that experience.

Oh man! That would be so cool to see.

Mr. Ullstrom, have you seen the press kit for the 1978 album? Randy says something really sweet about you: "Donny Ullstrom and I go all the way back to high school. He was still playing in the same band until I asked him to come out and join me - he's too good a singer to stay in Nebraska."

rockitboy
03-03-2017, 04:11 PM
So a forty year anniversary reunion of The Randy Meisner Band is out of the question then :cry:

Hi Funk 50,

You know that would be great if we could pull it off.
I know Kerry still plays. He lives in Florida. Kelly is
still playing in L.A. Not sure where the rest of the band is though.
I would love for that to happen !

rockitboy
03-03-2017, 04:13 PM
Oh man! That would be so cool to see.

Mr. Ullstrom, have you seen the press kit for the 1978 album? Randy says something really sweet about you: "Donny Ullstrom and I go all the way back to high school. He was still playing in the same band until I asked him to come out and join me - he's too good a singer to stay in Nebraska."

Hi Night Mist,

No, I have not seen the press kit for that album. Actually, I
didn't even know there was one. Is it somewhere on this bulletin board
that I could look at ? That would be great ! Thanx for letting me know about this.

Donny

rockitboy
03-03-2017, 04:14 PM
Hi Night Mist,

No, I have not seen the press kit for that album. Actually, I
didn't even know there was one. Is it somewhere on this bulletin board
that I could look at ? That would be great ! Thanx for letting me know about this.

Donny

And please, call me Donny. We don't need to be so formal.
Mr. Ullstrom was my Dad !

NightMistBlue
03-03-2017, 04:35 PM
OK, Donny! Thank you :)

I bought the press kit on Ebay. I could make copies of it and ... there shouldn't be a problem with posting it here. Other people may enjoy it too.

NightMistBlue
03-03-2017, 05:49 PM
The press kit files are too big to attach (in pdf), so I'm going to convert them to jpg and try to post them as pictures. While you're waiting, enjoy this photo of Randy from The Bluff, his and Donny's high school yearbook.

rockitboy
03-03-2017, 06:00 PM
OK, Donny! Thank you :)

I bought the press kit on Ebay. I could make copies of it and ... there shouldn't be a problem with posting it here. Other people may enjoy it too.

Wow, that would be great if you could post that on this bulletin board !
Thanx so much !

Donny

rockitboy
03-03-2017, 06:02 PM
The press kit files are too big to attach (in pdf), so I'm going to convert them to jpg and try to post them as pictures. While you're waiting, enjoy this photo of Randy from The Bluff, his and Donny's high school yearbook.

Hi,

If you wanted to email me that PDF, that would be fine.
My email address is rockitboy@msn.com
Thanx a lot !

NightMistBlue
03-03-2017, 06:31 PM
OK, here goes with the first part.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d128/Shenandoah07/Bio_1978-page-001_zpsgytp2hpo.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d128/Shenandoah07/Page%202-page-002_zpspwnuaguk.jpg

NightMistBlue
03-03-2017, 06:44 PM
I haven't been able to convert the second part (which mentions Donny!) b/c these online converters are playing games with me - only converting the first couple pages of a document.

Here are the photos from the press kit. Poor guy, he's so homely and plain. How'd he ever get into show biz with a mug like that? :razz:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d128/Shenandoah07/LeatherJckt_zpsnup3zihq.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d128/Shenandoah07/ChestalForest_zpsvgwforwj.jpg

rockitboy
03-03-2017, 07:27 PM
I haven't been able to convert the second part (which mentions Donny!) b/c these online converters are playing games with me - only converting the first couple pages of a document.

Here are the photos from the press kit. Poor guy, he's so homely and plain. How'd he ever get into show biz with a mug like that? :razz:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d128/Shenandoah07/LeatherJckt_zpsnup3zihq.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d128/Shenandoah07/ChestalForest_zpsvgwforwj.jpg

I agree with you about Randy's looks. He used to regularly scare small children when we walked down the street together !

NightMistBlue
03-04-2017, 11:28 AM
LOL!

LuvTim
03-04-2017, 02:19 PM
:lol:

randysgirl
03-04-2017, 11:55 PM
This thread is wonderful and so informative. It's great to have input from someone who actually worked with Randy!

Delilah
03-05-2017, 10:10 PM
NMB, thank you for posting the press kit items. I remember seeing one on eBay awhile back and trying to read those same pages, lol.

I love that Randy quote you posted about how Donny was too good of a singer to stay in Nebraska. And then Donny sings lead on a song during the show. It reminds me of Randy recommending his band mates from The Poor to Rick Nelson. It really speaks to his kind and generous nature.

rockitboy
03-06-2017, 01:56 PM
NMB, thank you for posting the press kit items. I remember seeing one on eBay awhile back and trying to read those same pages, lol.

I love that Randy quote you posted about how Donny was too good of a singer to stay in Nebraska. And then Donny sings lead on a song during the show. It reminds me of Randy recommending his band mates from The Poor to Rick Nelson. It really speaks to his kind and generous nature.

Hi Delilah,

You are correct about Randy being very generous to his band members.
We had 3 guitar players in the band, and he made sure that none of them were excluded from being able to shine. I think it made him feel good to be surrounded by musicians that respected, and really liked him.

NightMistBlue
03-06-2017, 02:08 PM
I wish we still had access to that American Journal video from 1994, that featured Randy talking about how he felt written out of Eagles history when he was excluded from the Hell Freezes Over tour. It showed Meisner, Rich & Swan playing before a smaller fairgrounds audience, contrasting it with the big Eagles stadium crowds. Randy said the guys in his band love each other and always have a good time playing music, regardless of the crowd size.

East Texas Girl
03-06-2017, 03:10 PM
Yes NMB, thanks for posting the press kit, it was interesting to read. A little new info in there for me.

Randy's generosity to his band mates is not surprising at all and I know he extends it over to his fans as well.

East Texas Girl
03-06-2017, 03:18 PM
rockitboy, thank you for your stories and your first hand knowledge of Randy. It is great to hear!

I wish you and your wife happy retirement!

NightMistBlue
03-07-2017, 01:28 PM
Yes, enjoy your retirement! Gosh, I look forward to that myself.

Donny, did you attend the Nebraska Music Hall of Fame in 2000, when the Drivin' Dynamics and Randy as a solo artist were inducted? We used to have the audio to the DD's performance - it sounded like a fun night!

Randy spoke about Little Moon Lake where the first gigs were. I read it just closed down, recently.

http://www.nebrocks.org/main.html

rockitboy
03-07-2017, 06:46 PM
Yes, enjoy your retirement! Gosh, I look forward to that myself.

Donny, did you attend the Nebraska Music Hall of Fame in 2000, when the Drivin' Dynamics and Randy as a solo artist were inducted? We used to have the audio to the DD's performance - it sounded like a fun night!

Randy spoke about Little Moon Lake where the first gigs were. I read it just closed down, recently.

http://www.nebrocks.org/main.html

Hi Nightmist blue,

Yes, my wife and I both attended that Hall of Fame ceremony.
Actually, The World Classic Rockers, of which Randy was a member
at the time, played that night for the Scottsbluff County Fair. It was
at the Scottsbluff County Fairgrounds in Mitchell Nebraska. Our band
at the time, The Rockits, opened for them. It was a great night !

Donny

rockitboy
03-07-2017, 07:03 PM
Hi Nightmist blue,

Yes, my wife and I both attended that Hall of Fame ceremony.
Actually, The World Classic Rockers, of which Randy was a member
at the time, played that night for the Scottsbluff County Fair. It was
at the Scottsbluff County Fairgrounds in Mitchell Nebraska. Our band
at the time, The Rockits, opened for them. It was a great night !

Donny

Another interesting fact is that Paul Asmus was there at the
ceremony that night. He is a founding member of the Dynamics
and also my brother-in-law. I married his sister !

NightMistBlue
03-07-2017, 09:50 PM
You kept it in the family :-)

I would like to visit Scottsbluff someday, it seems like a beautiful place.

NightMistBlue
03-08-2017, 10:43 AM
Oh hey! The 8/14/2000 ceremony audio has turned up and about 4 minutes into it, the announcer is going, "Is Paul Asmus here? Anyone know Paul Asmus?" :) Donny you are mentioned too, naturally.

The audio is too long to post in my SoundCloud account, but Donny you know my Dropbox - it's in its own file, as only deserving.

rockitboy
03-08-2017, 12:34 PM
You kept it in the family :-)

I would like to visit Scottsbluff someday, it seems like a beautiful place.

Hi Night Mist,

I would say that Scottsbluff is a great place to be from.
I live in Fort Collins, Colorado now. THIS is a beautiful place !!

Donny

rockitboy
03-08-2017, 12:35 PM
Oh hey! The 8/14/2000 ceremony audio has turned up and about 4 minutes into it, the announcer is going, "Is Paul Asmus here? Anyone know Paul Asmus?" :) Donny you are mentioned too, naturally.

The audio is too long to post in my SoundCloud account, but Donny you know my Dropbox - it's in its own file, as only deserving.

Thank you Sweety.

NightMistBlue
03-08-2017, 12:44 PM
Well, I'm a Florida gal and we prefer the flatlands. Heights make me a wee bit nervous. It's OK if someone else is driving, but if it's me my knuckles are white on the steering wheel. :)

I'd most like to see the Scottsbluff National Monument and the Oregon Trail Pathway. If Little Moon Supper Club (I got the name wrong in my previous post) is still around, I'll go and take a picture of where Randy got his start. And I want to try a runza! That's a must.

http://www.scenicusa.net/images/OC08ScottsBluffPD.jpg

rockitboy
03-08-2017, 02:26 PM
Well, I'm a Florida gal and we prefer the flatlands. Heights make me a wee bit nervous. It's OK if someone else is driving, but if it's me my knuckles are white on the steering wheel. :)

I'd most like to see the Scottsbluff National Monument and the Oregon Trail Pathway. If Little Moon Supper Club (I got the name wrong in my previous post) is still around, I'll go and take a picture of where Randy got his start. And I want to try a runza! That's a must.

http://www.scenicusa.net/images/OC08ScottsBluffPD.jpg

The monument is kinda cool. I've climbed that many times in my youth.
Runza's are the bomb ! Too bad you couldn't have been there in the 50's and 60's. There was a place called the Dash Inn that we all ate at. They had a sandwich called a "Wagon Wheel that was good too.

Donny

rockitboy
03-08-2017, 02:39 PM
The monument is kinda cool. I've climbed that many times in my youth.
Runza's are the bomb ! Too bad you couldn't have been there in the 50's and 60's. There was a place called the Dash Inn that we all ate at. They had a sandwich called a "Wagon Wheel that was good too.

Donny

Little known fact... My other brother-in-law Ronny, had a band in the 50's
also. Ronny and the Renegades. The first time my wife Vicki, ever played in public was at Little Moon. She played piano with them on a couple of songs one night when she was 6 years old.

LuvTim
03-08-2017, 02:39 PM
Hi Night Mist,

I would say that Scottsbluff is a great place to be from.
I live in Fort Collins, Colorado now. THIS is a beautiful place !!

Donny

I've been to Fort Collins a few times. That really is a lovely area. Good for you.

rockitboy
03-08-2017, 02:46 PM
I've been to Fort Collins a few times. That really is a lovely area. Good for you.

Fort Collins was a very good place for live music when we moved here.
The people here are completely different than the people in Nebraska. People
here are like Nebraska crowds used to be in the 60's and 70's. They love to dance and interact with the band. It was a lot of fun to play in this area.
However, the venues are drying up for classic rock bands here. Seems like most places now want bands who do original music. We're not into that.
Unless you're a really good writer and a really good performer, original music doesn't appeal to me. I'm not a writer and I've always said "I have the luxury of playing songs every night written by the best writers in the world.".
What could be better than that ??!!

Funk 50
05-19-2017, 09:13 AM
Hi,

Donny

Being an Eagles fan, I have developed extraordinary levels of patience. I'm used to waiting years for recordings. This has been lodged in my brain since Donny posted it in early March, What thrilling times they were! I'm still looking forward to hearing it.... a lot. :D

Has anybody heard Donny's recording yet? I wouldn't be surprised if he got bogged down in the digitizing process but I'd hate him to think that we've lost interest. :worried:

NightMistBlue
05-19-2017, 09:23 AM
Yoo-hoo, Donny - you still here? Any progress on digitizing the Universal show? No pressure :)

Delilah
05-19-2017, 10:08 AM
I've had the same question.

Anyway, here's Donny performing "Best of My Love" at the '78 concert; the video was posted by Kelly Shanahan.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TpqhQuJd0HY

p.s. He sounds awesome!

NightMistBlue
10-09-2017, 10:45 AM
Remember when we were trying to figure out who was playing the sax in Randy's 1978 band? I thought it may have been multi-instrumentalist Bray Ghiglia, but he told me (via Facebook) that it isn't. He said he played in the Randy Meisner - Rick Roberts Band from 1986 to 1991.

Delilah
10-09-2017, 12:54 PM
Thanks for checking it out, NMB. It seemed to me that Bray Ghiglia didn’t quite fit the timeline but what do I know. Btw, I thought it was the flute player we were wondering about?

Edit: I see now from post #46 that Donny said the same person played sax, clarinet and flute.

NightMistBlue
10-09-2017, 02:02 PM
Same deal - Bray is a multi-instrumentalist, so I thought it could have been him on sax and flute.

NightMistBlue
09-26-2018, 07:42 PM
Steve Edwards, who played guitar on Randy’s first solo album and tour, has shared that “Summer Wind” was a Bill Martin song. Mr. Martin also wrote the beautiful “Heartsong” Steve said that sadly Bill Martin passed away last year.