PDA

View Full Version : Eagles.... 3.0

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

L101
03-02-2017, 04:02 PM
Eagles and Fleetwood Mac to Headline Two 2017 Classic Rock Festivals
(http://ultimateclassicrock.com/fleetwood-mac-eagles-2017-festival/)
"Eagles and Fleetwood Mac will headline a pair of new music festivals to take place on the east and west coasts this summer.

According to Billboard, the two veteran bands will top the New York- and Los Angeles-based Classic East and Classic West concerts. While no official word has been announced on these shows, Billboard reports that they will take place at Citi Field in New York and at Dodgers Stadium in California.

Reportedly, each festival will last two days, and the organizers hope this will be an annual event. According to Billboard, “A number of big-time music companies are involved in the blockbuster concert concept including​ Azoff MSG Entertainment, Live Nation, the Oak View Group and CAA.”

More acts for these concerts will be announced later.

This will be the Eagles’ first live performance since the death of co-founder Glenn Frey in January 2015. Don Henley, the only original member left in the band these days, previously said the Eagles were*breaking up following Frey’s death. But the Eagles have broken up before,*and that didn’t stick either."

Wonder if this is actually true ?? :grin:

steve_e_dee
03-02-2017, 04:19 PM
Pretty huge news if true....

Passing this along.....

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/eagles-fleetwood-mac-headlining-nyc-los-angeles-festival-w470067

steve_e_dee
03-02-2017, 04:20 PM
and the Billboard article....

http://www.billboard.com/articles/business/7709414/eagles-fleetwood-mac-festival-new-york-los-angeles

Annoying Twit
03-02-2017, 04:36 PM
It's going to take more than this to make me believe it.

Representatives for Eagles and Fleetwood Mac did not immediately reply to requests for comment.

No confirmation from Don H = I still think it's unlikely to happen.

I shudder to think what the ticket price would be.

scottside
03-02-2017, 04:39 PM
I shudder to think of this possibly being true. It's fine that the remaining members go out and play together, but to it under the Eagles moniker is just plain wrong!

Delilah
03-02-2017, 04:47 PM
:shock: Where did this come from? And this from the Billboard article:

The classic-rock driven festival follows the success of Goldenvoice and AEG Live’s Desert Trip festival featuring the Rolling Stones, Paul McCartney, Roger Waters, Bob Dylan, Neil Young and The Who, which did gangbusters business in October 2016 -- to the tune of $160 million in gross receipts. AEG officials have not announced whether Desert Trip will return to the Empire Polo Club in Indio, Calif. in 2017.

Billboard has reached out to reps for Fleetwood Mac and The Eagles for confirmation. (my emphasis)

http://www.billboard.com/articles/business/7709414/eagles-fleetwood-mac-festival-new-york-los-angeles

Annoying Twit
03-02-2017, 04:48 PM
I shudder to think of this possibly being true. It's fine that the remaining members go out and play together, but to it under the Eagles moniker is just plain wrong!

Let's wait to see if it is actually going to happen before we worry too much about the morality of it.

buffyfan145
03-02-2017, 05:52 PM
I'm just stunned. :o I'm seeing it reported now by Rolling Stone, Entertainment Weekly, LA Times, and other credible news sources. Never thought I'd see this headline again.

buffyfan145
03-02-2017, 05:56 PM
It's being reported now not only by Rolling Stone but Entertainment Weekly, LA Times, and other credible news sources. Unless they got it wrong and it's mostly just Don and Joe with Fleetwood Mac, it sounds real and the festival is a very real thing that's happening at the MLB stadiums in New York and LA. I'm just stunned as I never thought I'd see them playing again as the Eagles after Glenn's passing.

NightMistBlue
03-02-2017, 05:59 PM
I came here for the same reason, thinking it can't be true. But it seems to be reputable sources.

Glennsallnighter
03-02-2017, 06:00 PM
I'm not sure how to react. I dont know that I could go to see them without Glenn :heart:. He was just too big a part of it for me.

Annoying Twit
03-02-2017, 06:09 PM
I'm not sure how to react. I dont know that I could go to see them without Glenn :heart:. He was just too big a part of it for me.

You don't have to go see them if you don't want to.

(Returning to the main thread.)

News articles can spread quickly. I still want to see comment from Don H before I start believing this might be true. Nothing at all on Don H's site that I could find.

I'm just stunned as I never thought I'd see them playing again as the Eagles after Glenn's passing.

I still don't believe they will ever again play as The Eagles.

Topkat
03-02-2017, 06:14 PM
Wow, I'm having a hard time believing this is going to happen...especially since I live near Citi Field... I don't want to get my hopes up. When I see it...I'll believe it

NightMistBlue
03-02-2017, 06:16 PM
It's being reported now not only by Rolling Stone but Entertainment Weekly, LA Times, and other credible news sources. Unless they got it wrong and it's mostly just Don and Joe with Fleetwood Mac, it sounds real and the festival is a very real thing that's happening at the MLB stadiums in New York and LA. I'm just stunned as I never thought I'd see them playing again as the Eagles after Glenn's passing.

I would believe Don and Joe as solo acts - maybe guesting in each other's sets. Surely this can't be real.

Delilah
03-02-2017, 06:20 PM
According to Rolling Stone the festivals are confirmed as happening. However, it remains to be seen who the headliners are. It would be terrible publicity to report Fleetwood Mac and the Eagles as performing and then it not be true.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/eagles-fleetwood-mac-headlining-nyc-los-angeles-festival-w470067

Momma Tee
03-02-2017, 06:37 PM
I am simply stunned and hesitant to celebrate. Don't get me wrong, I have been hoping and praying they would reunite even if just for a memorial tribute tour to Glenn and allow his fans to pay their respect. However, I never expected this kind of announcement so soon after they have emphatically stressed otherwise. I will wait to hear something official from the guys or their website. If it is true, I will definitely be there!

LuvTim
03-02-2017, 07:16 PM
I'll borrow buffy's phrasing in response to this news, and say that I'm just stunned. :shock:

Delilah
03-02-2017, 07:23 PM
Interesting quote from Irving Azoff regarding the festivals:

Both acts are managed by Azoff MSG Entertainment, but a spokesman for veteran superstar manager Irving Azoff said Thursday that “we are not prepared to release anything officially — this caught us by surprise,” in reference to Billboard’s initial report of the shows.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/la-et-ms-classic-west-east-festival-eagles-fleetwood-mac-20170302-story.html

Glennsallnighter
03-02-2017, 07:27 PM
Eagles and Fleetwood Mac to Headline Two 2017 Classic Rock Festivals
(http://ultimateclassicrock.com/fleetwood-mac-eagles-2017-festival/)
"Eagles and Fleetwood Mac will headline a pair of new music festivals to take place on the east and west coasts this summer.

According to Billboard, the two veteran bands will top the New York- and Los Angeles-based Classic East and Classic West concerts. While no official word has been announced on these shows, Billboard reports that they will take place at Citi Field in New York and at Dodgers Stadium in California.

Reportedly, each festival will last two days, and the organizers hope this will be an annual event. According to Billboard, “A number of big-time music companies are involved in the blockbuster concert concept including​ Azoff MSG Entertainment, Live Nation, the Oak View Group and CAA.”

More acts for these concerts will be announced later.

This will be the Eagles’ first live performance since the death of co-founder Glenn Frey in January 2015. Don Henley, the only original member left in the band these days, previously said the Eagles were*breaking up following Frey’s death. But the Eagles have broken up before,*and that didn’t stick either."

Wonder if this is actually true ?? :grin:

Frey died in January 2016.

Very hard to know. I guess if it's rumoured, it's happening. Not sure how I feel. Terribly mixed emotions. In some ways it's brilliant news but in other ways to see the guys perform without Glenn :heart: ? It just doesn't feel right 😢

Annoying Twit
03-02-2017, 07:57 PM
I believe that it's far more likely that this won't be happening than that it will happen.

L101
03-02-2017, 08:25 PM
Frey died in January 2016.

Very hard to know. I guess if it's rumoured, it's happening. Not sure how I feel. Terribly mixed emotions. In some ways it's brilliant news but in other ways to see the guys perform without Glenn :heart: ? It just doesn't feel right 😢

I see it as Don, Joe and Timothy each playing their solo shows and the others guesting alongside them. Don said they can never sing Glenn's songs again as no one but Glenn can do them justice and that's the way it should be.

But to get everyone's attention about the festival, they used the Eagles name in the headline - and it certainly got people's attention going by social media at the moment!

LuvTim
03-02-2017, 09:30 PM
Still too stunned to even hazard a guess. So completely unexpected. :dizzy:

buffyfan145
03-02-2017, 09:49 PM
I see it as Don, Joe and Timothy each playing their solo shows and the others guesting alongside them. Don said they can never sing Glenn's songs again as no one but Glenn can do them justice and that's the way it should be.

But to get everyone's attention about the festival, they used the Eagles name in the headline - and it certainly got people's attention going by social media at the moment!

The more I think about it I totally agree with you L101. I too think it'll be Don, Joe, and Timothy but still not sure if they'll use the Eagles name. It still feels too weird even thinking of that and I would prefer if they didn't. Plus, there will be other artists announced for these dates soon too.

sodascouts
03-02-2017, 10:58 PM
I'm taking Annoying Twit's advice and waiting to react.

I could be wrong, but I suspect Don, Joe and maybe Tim will be playing under a different name, "Party of Two" style. I can't imagine they would go out as the Eagles without Glenn.

I'll wait for the official statement from their representatives before I draw conclusions.

carol7lynn
03-02-2017, 11:06 PM
L.A. Times is reporting the "Rumour" too.

West Coast: Possible Dates
July 1st thru July 3rd;
July 14th July 19th.

East Coast: Possible Dates
July 3rd thru July 13th;
July 24th thru July 31st.

Only date they share: July 3rd.

I have no insider info. Just reviewed both venues MLB team's respective scedules. Could be missing non-baseball scheduled events at either venue, but so far, the above listed dates should give us a window on when Hell will freeze over again!

I say-Yes.

Stay Tuned!
CarolC
:computer:

MaryCalifornia
03-03-2017, 12:01 AM
I was not expecting to hear this! But, Irving's mission has always been to do what is in the guys' best interest and to make as much money for them as possible. I don't think he cares about impressions or what some fans think regarding the band name. Whatever he does will have Don and Cindy's blessing. He is going to put the product out there and see what happens. And, if packaged with FM, probably make a ton of money. We shall see!

GlennLover
03-03-2017, 12:50 AM
When I first read about this in a Google alert I found it disturbing. However, after reading this thread I have hope that, if in fact this news is true, they won't bill themselves as the Eagles.

Annoying Twit
03-03-2017, 02:12 AM
I would wait to see if anything is happening at all before spending too much time thinking about what will be happening and how.

Philh
03-03-2017, 06:09 AM
I hope this is not 'Fake News' but interesting that Irving didn't deny the reports.

sodascouts
03-03-2017, 07:11 AM
I hope so too, but I don't have any insider knowledge to that effect... just a belief that Don Henley would keep to what he said just a few weeks ago: "I don't see how we could go out and play without the guy who started the band. [...] It would just seem like greed or something. It would seem like a desperate thing." - Washington Post (https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/music/don-henley-says-the-eagles-are-done-it-was-always-glenn-freys-band/2016/11/28/ccd89a4a-aa6a-11e6-977a-1030f822fc35_story.html?utm_term=.22d190b7235f)

UndertheWire
03-03-2017, 08:45 AM
Would a billing of "Henley, Walsh & Schmit (formerly of Eagles)" be much better?

DivineDon
03-03-2017, 08:49 AM
You know, in one of Don's interviews to New Zealand radio he did not rule out the Eagles never playing again definitively unlike previous statements so I guess Irving has been weighing him down.

I agree with UTW. I still don't think they'll call themselves the Eagles though. Maybe, individual names with the added 'formerly of the Eagles'. Don has too much respect for Glenn to blightly disregard his contribution by simply carrying on the name regardless. I think we should all take a step back and wait for an official announcement and find out if it is actually true in the first place. :neutral:

VAisForEagleLovers
03-03-2017, 08:58 AM
Hi, everyone! Just adding my 'two cents worth' here... I have to admit, my initial reaction was one of complete horror. However, Don was pretty vocal during his interviews leading up to his recent and upcoming shows that ‘occasional’ shows with the three of them together (or four if Bernie is with them) were a possibility. I was hoping it would be for a benefit concert or something. This… This is not my cup of tea. I’d have to wait and see how the tickets were done, but the chances of getting a good seat are slim, and that’s assuming it’s not standing-only on the field itself. This is sunburn or thunder storms, or both, and listening to bands I probably don’t want to hear for hours while sitting in a crappy seat after paying a fortune for hotel and other travel expenses (if they do it over July 4th holiday, airfare will be unreasonable). Then after all that, when the band I want to see gets on stage—there’s that big hole in the middle. That key voice that isn’t there. They’d have to hope I have a crappy seat, because three notes into it and I’d burst into tears, and that’s probably not the feedback they’re looking for from the audience (just a guess, lol).

I’m sure they’d handle the show with respect, tact, and grace, and while I do not want to see them picking up the reins of the Eagles like it doesn’t matter if Glenn is here or not, to do a few shows here and there is fine. I just wish they’d have chosen better venues and something more fan-centric to the Eagles and not Classic Rock as a whole, especially as this is a ticket scalper’s wet dream. I just can’t see me spending a lot of money for an experience I likely won’t enjoy, and it feels like a massive money grab for the organizers. I’d like to support our guys in this, but I don’t see how it will be possible. I guess we’ll see what the announcement is. I suppose going to LA will eliminate most of the possibility of getting rained on.

As for using the name ‘Eagles’, as I put on Facebook, for these guys, Glenn will be there on stage with them. Everything he brought to the band will be there with them, and he’ll still be the leader, his voice will be in their heads through rehearsals and all of it. Consequently, I think it would be a sign of disrespect if they didn’t use the name Eagles, and I’m positive Glenn would agree. Even if they don’t use the name, everyone else will.

NightMistBlue
03-03-2017, 09:28 AM
OT: Hello, stranger! Good to see you again, VAisForEagleLovers. :cheers:

sodascouts
03-03-2017, 09:38 AM
Well, again, I keep in mind that nothing has been confirmed...

But I vehemently disagree with VA in terms of the name. I would not want them to call themselves the Eagles when Glenn isn't there... because they're not the Eagles without him.

As far as for "what Glenn would want" - I don't presume to know that.

However, I do know that the last time they thought about touring under the name "Eagles" without him, he threatened to sue...

I agree with VA though that the press will use the name "Eagles" regardless. Maybe they can have their cake and eat it too; still get the press associated with the band without technically performing under the moniker.

I'm just having these horrible visions of the press using photos of the band with Glenn cropped out and the word "EAGLES ARE BACK" splashed across them in celebratory fashion...

Again, waiting for the announcement.

Philh
03-03-2017, 09:53 AM
Rolling Stone mag says the news has been confirmed by a close source but
I will wait for something official.
I can't see a problem in going out with The Eagles name as all bands do this, as long as Cindy ok's it.

secret squirrel
03-03-2017, 10:00 AM
And confirmation from UCR:

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/fleetwood-mac-eagles-2017-festival/?utm_source=sailthru&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=newsletter_4572276

I'm shocked and don't know how I would feel about seeing the Eagles without Glenn because he and Don *were* the Eagles to me.

SS
xx
http://sshh-sshh.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/kick-em-when-theyre-up-backlash.html

thelastresort
03-03-2017, 10:13 AM
I would much prefer any 'Eagle' activity to be something either to commemorate Glenn or raise money for causes he cared for or what ultimately claimed his life; but I will comment further when we know the details for sure.

As for 'carrying on is what most other bands do', it is when you are either very young and have years to recover or relatively minor in the grand scale of things. The fact is is that Glenn was the leader (and let's be honest, he was more so than Henley) of the Eagles for over four decades and contributed substantially to their success, and that they themselves are all now very rapidly pushing 70. I just can't imagine any other band of the Eagles's calibre and age reuniting and finding a substitute if the same tragedy befell them. Look at how quickly it's all fallen apart for AC/DC of late: back when they were young they just replaced Bon Scott with Brian Johnson; now they've lost three (four?) members to health problems or retirement in the space of a few years and I personally think it would have been much better for them to simply call it quits than patch over increasingly bigger cracks...

Philh
03-03-2017, 10:24 AM
I Agree with the previous post about Glenn and he could never be replaced and the Eagles without him could never be the same. His huge talents and humour would be sorely missed. However to see the remaining Eagles together perhaps including Bernie would be the next best thing at this stage.

Annoying Twit
03-03-2017, 10:26 AM
I may look as if I am anchoring (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anchoring), but I want to see a both named and reliable source confirming this before I believe it.

Then I'll speak about other things.

Annoying Twit
03-03-2017, 10:34 AM
There is one thing that I have thought of, but it's only wild speculation. I may have mentioned it before.

I have heard before that people who wanted a band to play together again may just announce something hoping that the band will fall in behind it.

While we've heard 'confirmed by close sources' etc., it's not beyond the realms of possibility that a 'close source' person, who could even be Irving Azoff, is being manipulative. I.e. playing up a rumour (which he may or may not have started himself) in the hope of getting the remaining guys back together again.

I'd start believing that it could happen if I hear an actual Eagle confirm it. But for me to really believe it will happen, I want a statement from Don H.

Brooke
03-03-2017, 10:36 AM
I really can't believe this! Don has said several times that the Eagles were done!

Very disappointed if they do. It's not the Eagles without Glenn. :sad:

thelastresort
03-03-2017, 10:36 AM
I Agree with the previous post about Glenn and he could never be replaced and the Eagles without him could never be the same. His huge talents and humour would be sorely missed. However to see the remaining Eagles together perhaps including Bernie would be the next best thing at this stage.

Indeed, I wouldn't mind seeing Don H., Joe, Timothy and Bernie back together with a series of guests / friends for a one off Glenn memorial / fundraiser as this would give a proper final sendoff for the band and raise money for what I'm sure would be great causes; however I'm not sure how I feel about them going back on the road as some form of the Eagles together for commercial purposes.

As ever though, I'll comment properly when we have a bona fide statement on proceedings.

GlennLover
03-03-2017, 11:28 AM
Even Timothy has said that if they did perform together again that it wouldn't be under the Eagles name.

UndertheWire
03-03-2017, 11:42 AM
In principle, I don't object to the remaining band members playing together. I also see that Azoff might argue that the best way to keep the band and Glenn's legacy alive is to continue to use the "Eagles" name - he just has to find a way that makes it acceptable to Don H, Joe and Timothy. I'd hoped they'd do something as a benefit in Glenn's name, but even if it's a largely commercial enterprise, there's still scope for making large charitable donations.

buffyfan145
03-03-2017, 12:11 PM
Being an Entertainment Weekly subscriber for over 10 years they usually won't report things unless there is something in the works. They're one of the top sources for news like this, especially for casting with TV shows & movies, book deals, and music news. Something is in the works but I agree that I'm fine with Don, Joe, and Timothy playing together (and even including Bernie), but I don't want them to use the Eagles name. It still just doesn't feel right to me with Glenn gone now, but I don't mind seeing them play together. I too think the press is using this as the Eagles getting back together but again I think they won't actually use the name.

Also, other bands & singers will be added for this festival too so I'm guessing it's going to be still in the classic rock genre. It'll be interesting to see who else is performing when the full line up is announced.

groupie2686
03-03-2017, 12:13 PM
I would much prefer any 'Eagle' activity to be something either to commemorate Glenn or raise money for causes he cared for or what ultimately claimed his life; but I will comment further when we know the details for sure.

As for 'carrying on is what most other bands do', it is when you are either very young and have years to recover or relatively minor in the grand scale of things. The fact is is that Glenn was the leader (and let's be honest, he was more so than Henley) of the Eagles for over four decades and contributed substantially to their success, and that they themselves are all now very rapidly pushing 70. I just can't imagine any other band of the Eagles's calibre and age reuniting and finding a substitute if the same tragedy befell them. Look at how quickly it's all fallen apart for AC/DC of late: back when they were young they just replaced Bon Scott with Brian Johnson; now they've lost three (four?) members to health problems or retirement in the space of a few years and I personally think it would have been much better for them to simply call it quits than patch over increasingly bigger cracks...

Other bands have carried on or replaced members at older ages....Queen tours as Queen without Freddie, Led Zeppelin has performed with John Bonham's son, The Who continues to tour as The Who without Keith Moon and John Entwhistle (and even released an album, I believe). While Moon, Entwhistle, and Bonham were not leaders of the band like Glenn was, Freddie was certainly the leader and driving force of Queen. The members of Queen are all approaching 70 too and Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshend are already in their 70s.

That said, I really hope this isn't true. In my opinion, it would be wrong for them to continue to perform as the Eagles without Glenn, especially in light of everything Henley, Joe, and Timothy have said about it in the past year. (For the record, I think it was wrong for the other bands I mentioned too). I won't believe it until Don Henley confirms it.

carol7lynn
03-03-2017, 12:17 PM
Whoever owns the trademark can do whatever-whenever.

Case-in-Point: Foreigner is essentially a cover or tribute band since Mick Jones only joins the band on-stage now and again. Stones survived the loss of their leader and founder Brian Jones back in the sixties although I must admit they fired him first. Jason Bonham, after a brief stint with Foreigner back in the early 2000s, has picked up his father's mantle and is essentially leading a Led Zep cover/tribute band. Lastly, let's not forget AC/DC a band that almost broke-up following the death of lead singer Bon Scott back in 1980 only to bounce "back in black" with Brian Johnson who "Thunderstruck" us all!:headbang:

To quote Henley and Frey" I want to tell you, in the long run, it's a long run" folks so, "Long may you run," because to quote Journey, "the movie never ends, it goes on and on and on...." So, run on empty, run wild, and run into the sun one more time! Word to Mr. Henley, you don't always get "the best light from a burning bridge."

I say Rock Away Blind and "welcome the joy!" :faint:

July 14-16th looks good for Los Angeles.
July 7th-9th looks good for New York.

Stay Tuned!
CarolC

NoNottheFootballTeam
03-03-2017, 12:52 PM
I saw this post yesterday when there were only 4 responses (I intentionally waited until today to post my response just to gauge the general Border response).

I posted elsewhere in the forum that I'd just returned from a West Coast trip in which I followed the sight seeing "tour" suggested by Soda Scout. During the "trip," I had such a swing in emotions...."imagine, Glenn and Don were actually here" immediately followed by "I wish Glenn was still with us."

Yesterday, when I read this, I was ecstatic and trying to connive a way to get back to LA in the summer (no way I'd go to the big Apple for this).

I'm NOT being critical of anyone, but (and with understanding that everyone wants some type of official confirmation), I'm a little surprised by the bummed and/or indignant state of mind of some posters. WHOM among us has not dreamed of "one more chance" to hear the guys harmonize together? Heck, I even went to a tribute band concert last summer in an attempt to just get that old feeling.

These guys don't need to do this for the money....it's about the music and (I'd like to think), the fans. No way Irving or the boys would undertake this in any manner that disrespected Glenn's memory or Cindy's wishes. And, right now, it's for a two show gig....not another prolonged tour as the Eagles

And who cares if they appear under the name "B(Eagles), "Not the Eagles," "Don/Joe/Timothy/Bernie and (whomever)," or the "Falcons?" I'm betting each of us would see/hear the Eagles (minus Glenn) in our minds. I would not be looking for someone to "clock" Glenn's vocals, but whomever would have to be damn good.

A couple of summers ago, I went to the concert series featuring, Don Felder (there's a reason he was not featured in any Eagles vocals), Styx and Foreigner. Styx and Foreigner had many non-orginal band members but it was enjoyable hearing their music played at a level far above a tribute band. And have you heard Journey w/Arnel Pineda replacing Steve Perry?

I hope this fan site can get fully behind this and trust the remaining band members to handle an Eagles return with dignity and professionalism...for the music and the fans. Personally, I hope it's true and I can't wait (just have to convince the wife).

thelastresort
03-03-2017, 01:01 PM
Other bands have carried on or replaced members at older ages....Queen tours as Queen without Freddie, Led Zeppelin has performed with John Bonham's son, The Who continues to tour as The Who without Keith Moon and John Entwhistle (and even released an album, I believe). While Moon, Entwhistle, and Bonham were not leaders of the band like Glenn was, Freddie was certainly the leader and driving force of Queen. The members of Queen are all approaching 70 too and Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshend are already in their 70s.

Yes, but none of those with the possible exception of John Entwistle (and John Deacon in Queen) were at anywhere near the age the Eagles are at now in the same predicament; Bonham died in 1980, Moon two years earlier. If Daltrey, May or Page were sadly to pass away now I don't think their bands would be as eager now they are well into the autumn of their careers to fill the void and carry on. Black Sabbath replaced Bill Ward a few years ago when they collectively refused to reunite and that's still a toxic topic amongst their fans.

(FWIW, I don't think Queen ever recovered from losing Freddie. I also believe they market themselves as 'Queen + [whoever]' these days.)

TW
03-03-2017, 01:47 PM
I also believe they market themselves as 'Queen + [whoever]' these days.)
Yes, they are now Queen & Adam Lambert

MaryCalifornia
03-03-2017, 01:57 PM
As far as for "what Glenn would want" - I don't presume to know that.

Glenn's wishes regarding the use of the band name, the other guys' performance of his songs, etc... will be reflected in detail in the Eagles' business documents and his personal documents. I'm sure this was hashed out in extreme detail after Felder left the band and they realized that the four of them would carry on. The legal documents will anticipate all four of their deaths and what would happen after as regards each of their interests.

I think it would be lovely if Don, Tim and Joe each sings a Glenn song. I listened to Timothy sing PEF on that BBC Scotland radio show. It is so intimate, and though I don't like it nearly as much as Glenn's version, it is very moving. I would like to hear Don and Joe take one on - I wonder what it would be?

We've already hashed this out in other threads, so I'll be brief. I think it is so disrespectful to Don to claim that it is somehow unseemly for him to perform under the Eagles name. He is a founding member and it has been his life since 1971 and Joe's and Tim's since 1970-whatever. It is THEIR BAND, they have legal and moral ownership of it. Nothing will replace Glenn, ever. Everyone knows his contribution. He is greatly missed any any show would obviously have a gaping hole. I would think the same if Don died and Glenn were still alive to carry on playing those songs - of course he can call himself Eagles. I know we all disagree, but that is the good thing about this board! SONG POWER. xoxo

Delilah
03-03-2017, 02:56 PM
Whoever owns the trademark can do whatever-whenever.

Stay Tuned!
CarolC

FYI Stevie Nicks is scheduled to perform at Hyde Park in London on July 9.

Funk 50
03-03-2017, 02:56 PM
My first reaction was it's a, f**k the fans just look at those receipts, show but the Eagles were the best in the business and you don't get to the top by allowing sentiment to cloud your judgement.

Within the last week or so, Timothy has said the future of the Eagles hasn't been discussed between the band members but I'm sure they've thought about it. How Long would it take for them to say, count me in, if Irving gave them a call. Still, I can't see Eagles as a trio. I'd want them to have Bernie and probably JD, Jackson or somebody else to provide lead vocals too.

If these concerts do come off, I hope the old Eagles / Fleetwood Mac rivalry induces the Eagles to add some new or at least 21st Century material to their set list. I'm sure Fleetwood Mac will. :D

Delilah
03-03-2017, 03:31 PM
Ever since Don H made the comment about performing with Glenn's son, I got the sense he wasn't ready to let go of a band that's been part of his life since 1971. I don't think it's really fair to hold him to statements he made soon after the death of his longtime friend and bandmate. Same for Joe and Timothy. In a recent interview from a month ago (which I posted earlier in the Joe-The Future thread), he said this:

After Frey’s death, Henley said he would no longer play with The Eagles, but he leaves that door open now.

“We just passed the one-year anniversary of his passing. We wanted to give it a year to mourn and to absorb his death. Now that the new year is upon us, we’ll take another look and see what might be possible.”

http://www.radionz.co.nz/national/programmes/saturday/audio/201832076/don-henley-statesman-of-rock

Joe and Timothy have also made similar comments recently. This is conjecture on my part but I believe Glenn would be pleased to think a band he started 45 years ago is still in demand and drawing crowds.

carol7lynn
03-03-2017, 04:28 PM
FYI Stevie Nicks is scheduled to perform at Hyde Park in London on July 9.

So nicks to Sunday the 9th for a Mac-attack but they could still play that weekend on the 6th or the 7th in New York. None of the others are on tour soooo.....

Stay Tuned!
CarolC

groupie2686
03-03-2017, 04:31 PM
Yes, but none of those with the possible exception of John Entwistle (and John Deacon in Queen) were at anywhere near the age the Eagles are at now in the same predicament; Bonham died in 1980, Moon two years earlier. If Daltrey, May or Page were sadly to pass away now I don't think their bands would be as eager now they are well into the autumn of their careers to fill the void and carry on. Black Sabbath replaced Bill Ward a few years ago when they collectively refused to reunite and that's still a toxic topic amongst their fans.

(FWIW, I don't think Queen ever recovered from losing Freddie. I also believe they market themselves as 'Queen + [whoever]' these days.)

Fair enough. John Deacon is still alive, by the way - he just chose not to continue with Queen after Freddie died.

As far as the Eagles go, it wouldn't be right, and I find it hard to believe after everything Henley, Joe, and Timothy have said over the past year.

carol7lynn
03-03-2017, 05:03 PM
To quote EddieVan, "you got to roll with the punches to get to what's real...unchained, you got to hit the ground running..."

With that in mind: Unchained, The Eagles all individually hit the ground running quite nicely following Glenn ' s passing and now it's time to get behind the proposed project "to get to what's real."

Stay Tuned!
CarolC

thelastresort
03-03-2017, 05:17 PM
Fair enough. John Deacon is still alive, by the way - he just chose not to continue with Queen after Freddie died.

Indeed I was aware, I probably should have clarified he wasn't a fatality! I've always admired Deacon: quiet, reserved but a very good bassist with a decent song in him. Retired in his 40s having made an absolute fortune and disappeared off the face of the earth. That's how it's done!

groupie2686
03-03-2017, 05:39 PM
Indeed I was aware, I probably should have clarified he wasn't a fatality! I've always admired Deacon: quiet, reserved but a very good bassist with a decent song in him. Retired in his 40s having made an absolute fortune and disappeared off the face of the earth. That's how it's done!

With all of the musicians who died in the past year, you certainly gave me pause for a minute! I think I read somewhere that he is still involved with the financial aspects of Queen, he just doesn't perform anymore.

NightMistBlue
03-03-2017, 07:09 PM
I hope this is not 'Fake News' but interesting that Irving didn't deny the reports.

Him being "surprised" but not denying it: what do you suppose that means - that an agreement was reached, but it wasn't supposed to be made public yet? I wouldn't think that Azoff takes that sort of thing lying down.

maryc2130
03-03-2017, 10:42 PM
I have mixed feelings about this, and am surprised they would do it so soon after Don and Timothy stated publicly that it would be wrong to reform under the Eagles name (or something to that effect, I don't have the exact quotes in front of me). I guess time will tell.

I don't mean this to be disrespectful, but does anyone know if Cindy now owns half the Eagles? As far as I understand, Joe and Timothy are members of the Eagles band but not the Eagles company. I was just wondering how that would affect decision-making.

ambulance girl
03-03-2017, 10:49 PM
just my opinion, but I
hope like hell this isn't real. last year when they started talking about who would be playing at these concerts, it was just Henley. IDK when or even if it really changed. I am waiting to hear confirmation or denial from DH. to me, there is NO eagles without Glenn

zeldabjr
03-03-2017, 11:17 PM
just my opinion, but I
hope like hell this isn't real. last year when they started talking about who would be playing at these concerts, it was just Henley. IDK when or even if it really changed. I am waiting to hear confirmation or denial from DH. to me, there is NO eagles without Glenn

I feel the exact same way ambulance girl!!!

carol7lynn
03-04-2017, 10:57 AM
Even if the event never materializes, it sure has ignited a firestorm of speculation and given us hope. Hope will help you cope! I'm no dope-I choose hope! Hope that ticket prices will be less than the national debt. Hope that we don't have a July like we did in '06 during the infamous North American heat wave which is a good possibility here in SoCal when those Santa Anas come-a-calling.

I've got High-hopes, High apple pie, in the sky Hopes!

Stay Tuned!
CarolC

Witchy Woman
03-06-2017, 12:02 AM
I think this whole thing sucks, and completely contradicts everything Don has said over the last year. I can't imagine any reason why this needs to happen other than money, which none of them hurts for. However, I will join those who are waiting for confirmation until I expound further.

zeldabjr
03-06-2017, 12:16 AM
if the guys were doing a concert billed..not as the Eagles...but as Don Henley, Joe Walsh, and Timothy B. Schmit...as a tribute to Glenn...to benefit a charity of his...I would have no problem...in fact I hope this does happen some day...they could tape it..and sell a DVD of it...would sell like hot cakes!...but for them to do a concert as The Eagles...to line their own pockets some more...is totally unacceptable to me!!

Glennsallnighter
03-06-2017, 04:46 AM
I think we might know more about it today.

Funk 50
03-06-2017, 03:21 PM
I think it's great news. Hell Freezes Over contradicted many statements by band members over 14 years but I haven't heard much criticism of that U-turn ... and if they are back in business, I want the Eagles to be a business, not a charity.

I'm not bothered at all by the billing but as the vast majority of Eagles fans aren't as fanatical as the ones that visit this site, I presume that, to sell as many tickets as possible, the word "Eagles" will be on the billing, prominently.

I think Eagles 3 is actually a decent possible moniker. Not so sure about Threeagles though. :grin:

I wont be attending either of the reported concerts but I'd certainly be there if they announced a date locally, whatever they were billed as, as long as the price wasn't grossly extortionate.

At the moment, I'm hoping for, nothing more than, an updated, Eagles compilation CD, ie including some Long Road Out Of Eden or solo stuff.
Even just the concert speculation increases the likelihood of that happening this year. ;)

New Kid In Town
03-06-2017, 06:00 PM
Hi all, I am new to the board, although I have been a "lurker" after discovering this site last year after Glenn's passing. I was a child of the 70's - my HS and college years. Been an Eagles fan since 1972 when I first heard TIE on the radio. I guess that makes me an "oldster" here. lol.

I was also very surprised to hear this too. Especially since Don gave numerous interviews saying they would never perform again. However, I have read recent interviews by all three stating they missed performing together, so I am not surprised by this. If this is true, I would hope they donate their precedes to a RA/UC foundation in memory of Glenn.

I live about about an hour to hour in a half away from Citi Field. However, as someone else stated, I think the ticket price would break the bank for this show. Also, sitting in a stadium in July in New York can be brutal, depending on the weather. Last summer was one of the hottest on record, so if that happens again it could be well into the 90's then. I don't know if I could handle that.

Best wishes to all,
Tina

NightMistBlue
03-06-2017, 06:10 PM
They could always call themselves Spreadeagles + [name of town they're playing]

carol7lynn
03-06-2017, 07:04 PM
Hi all, I am new to the board, although I have been a "lurker" after discovering this site last year after Glenn's passing. I was a child of the 70's - my HS and college years. Been an Eagles fan since 1972 when I first heard TIE on the radio. I guess that makes me an "oldster" here. lol.

I was also very surprised to hear this too. Especially since Don gave numerous interviews saying they would never perform again. However, I have read recent interviews by all three stating they missed performing together, so I am not surprised by this. If this is true, I would hope they donate their precedes to a RA/UC foundation in memory of Glenn.

I live about about an hour to hour in a half away from Citi Field. However, as someone else stated, I think the ticket price would break the bank for this show. Also, sitting in a stadium in July in New York can be brutal, depending on the weather. Last summer was one of the hottest on record, so if that happens again it could be well into the 90's then. I don't know if I could handle that.

Best wishes to all,
Tina

Welcome!

I'm sure they'll be some fan videos uploaded to various sites and it might even be live-streamed. Fingers crossed. Eyes too!

Stay Tuned!
CarolC

Annoying Twit
03-07-2017, 11:33 AM

It's now tomorrow. Is there any more information?

Funk 50
03-07-2017, 12:31 PM
Originally Posted by Glennsallnighter

It's now tomorrow. Is there any more information?

Henley's next show in Australia is tomorrow (8th March), he may mention something. More likely, Joe's has a charity concert on Thursday and he's announced, on his website, that he'll be on Craig Ferguson's radio show next week. I expect the "two gigs" topic to come up in conversation.

I guess that the Fleetwood Mac camp have been very quiet on the speculation too

SilverAcidRayne
03-10-2017, 12:38 AM
hey guys... I just came across this about FM and the Eagles possibly playing some shows together? I really don't have any belief in it because I believe Don when he said there will be no more Eagles. So why the change of heart? it doesn't sit right with me. :headscratch:

Delilah
03-11-2017, 01:39 AM
Well, it's happening!! There were naysayers but some of us were able to to read between the lines of all the interviews and put 2 and 2 together and what-not.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/business/7718203/classic-east-classic-west-festival-lineup-steely-dan-journey-doobie-brothers

What a line-up! Eagles, Steely Dan, and Doobie Brothers the first night!
Fleetwood Mac, Journey, and Earth Wind & Fire the 2nd Night!

I would love to to attend the West Coast dates. Too bad the Eagles and FM are on different days!

Delilah
03-11-2017, 01:45 AM

Stay Tuned!
CarolC

Good call, CarolC! The Classic West concert is scheduled for July 15-16 at Dodger Stadium and the Classic East concert is scheduled for July 29-30 at Citi Field, NY.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/business/7718203/classic-east-classic-west-festival-lineup-steely-dan-journey-doobie-brothers

Delilah
03-11-2017, 02:17 AM
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Bernie will be part of the line-up; that will add some legitimacy to the enterprise.

Annoying Twit
03-11-2017, 04:02 AM
Have there been any statements from actual Eagles yet?

Funk 50
03-11-2017, 06:40 AM
I'm not too bothered about the authenticity and legitimacy, for me, that has gradually diminished since HFO. I just hope it's a performance that does credit to the Eagles moniker. I think it's all about preparation and set list.

I'm not so sure about Bernie's inclusion. In principle, absolutely but I'm not sure whether his songs would be an asset at a Stadium gig.

It's such an important event, I guess that they'd want to play 75-80 minutes rock, in a 90-100 minute set. :shrug:

Funk 50
03-11-2017, 06:52 AM
Now that it's been confirmed, I expect any embargo has been lifted but no comments as yet.

Does anybody have Sirius Radio, Joe's on The Craig Ferguson Show next week.

https://twitter.com/TheCFergShow/status/838822492345020416/photo/1

thelastresort
03-11-2017, 07:12 AM
I'm not so sure about Bernie's inclusion. In principle, absolutely but I'm not sure whether his songs would be an asset at a Stadium gig.

Does he need 'his' songs? He only had one lead vocal and a bit of lead guitar on HOTE yet was out there for 14 songs IIRC. It was genuinely wonderful to see him back in the fold and I believe Glenn told him that it wasn't over so I can't see why they'd omit him again. Even if he just stands in as an extra rhythm guitarist and vocal harmony he'd definitely be an asset to proceedings.

(Edit - see his inclusion on Hotel California at the RRHOF induction)

Glennsallnighter
03-11-2017, 07:31 AM
If this happens I would like to see Bernie included.

LuvTim
03-11-2017, 08:50 AM
Now that it's been confirmed, I expect any embargo has been lifted but no comments as yet.

Does anybody have Sirius Radio, Joe's on The Craig Ferguson Show next week.

https://twitter.com/TheCFergShow/status/838822492345020416/photo/1

I heard a mention of this on Sirius xm radio this week. And I read about it in the aforementioned Billboard article. It's apparently true.

I'm going to try and catch the CF show with Joe Walsh. I hope he will have something to say about it by then. Thanks, F50.

LuvTim
03-11-2017, 08:56 AM
Have there been any statements from actual Eagles yet?

This is what I am waiting for, as well, AT. So far, I haven't seen anything from an Eagle. If it is just a rumour...well, we'll see.

LuvTim
03-11-2017, 09:01 AM
Well, it's happening!! There were naysayers but some of us were able to to read between the lines of all the interviews and put 2 and 2 together and what-not.

What a line-up! Eagles, Steely Dan, and Doobie Brothers the first night!
Fleetwood Mac, Journey, and Earth Wind & Fire the 2nd Night!

I would love to to attend the West Coast dates. Too bad the Eagles and FM are on different days!

Thanks to everyone who has been following this closely and keeping us updated. :heart: You are the best!

UndertheWire
03-11-2017, 09:18 AM
I'n not sure this counts as confirmation, although the absence of a statement saying it's untrue after a week could be seen as confirmation.

So it seems that Azoff has found a way of making it acceptable to Henley that they should perform as "Eagles" again. In several interviews, Henley has hinted that his solo tours don't make much money and I think it's obvious that performing at this show as "Eagles" will attract a much bigger fee and share of profits than "Don Henley" for much the same effort. Henley may be happy with being seen as just doing it for the money, but my guess is there will be some attempt to sell it in part as a tribute to Glenn with some of the profits given to charity in his name.

If it happens, I hope there will be more recognition of Glenn than the rather perfunctuary acknowledgement that Don has given in his solo shows. "This is for Glenn" and singing a song that he was always going to sing just wouldn't cut it. As for performing Glenn's songs, it would be appropriate to include a few.

carol7lynn
03-11-2017, 10:01 AM
Good call, CarolC! The Classic West concert is scheduled for July 15-16 at Dodger Stadium and the Classic East concert is scheduled for July 29-30 at Citi Field, NY.

And, the choir sang "Amen!"

Personally, I never doubted the "leak" right from the get-go, and I'll tell you why. There were two things that led to this observation.

(1) The "leak" occurred right after the Tom Petty Musiccares picture of Henley and Stevie was released. They looked so comfortable together-more so than when she poses with LindsayB that's for sure. I know so they looked "comfortable" big deal. True, true. It made me think though when the "leak" broke that the looks on both their faces might have signified a shared secret rather than the "The Look of Love."

(2) Henley didn't squelch the rumor. Henley ' s silence was, as they say, deafening to me. When Henley said nothing, I knew.

So let's all stand up and sing:

"If you're happy and you know it clap your hands. If you're happy and you know it clap your hands. If you're happy and you know it, let's all show it. If"

...well just Thank you God. Now let's rejoice and exhale the "warm smell of colitas, rising up in the air" we've been waiting to exhale for far too long. Onward! There is musical magic to be made before we fade!

Let's just all Rockaway Blind! :thud:

Stay Tuned!

CarolC

UndertheWire
03-11-2017, 10:51 AM
I'm sorry, I can't join you in your celebrations. I accept that they are within their rights to move forward and to call themselves "Eagles". I also accept that there are many people who are looking forward to any version of the band, just as there are people who love Don Felder's tribute band. I can be thankful that Don, Joe and Timothy are still able and willing to perform. However, I do not feel like clapping and cheering; rather I feel sad and a little disappointed. I'm hoping that Don, Joe or Timothy will be able to give an explantion that will make sense of it for me.

Houston Baby
03-11-2017, 11:20 AM
I woke up last night @ 2:00 a.m. and for some unexplainable reason I got on FB and saw the news. I had a hard time going back to sleep. And it wasn't from excitement, it was from sadness. I have made plans to go if I can get a ticket but I am not sure it will be a totally joyous occasion except for seeing my friend.

thelastresort
03-11-2017, 11:28 AM
I'm sorry, I can't join you in your celebrations. I accept that they are within their rights to move forward and to call themselves "Eagles". I also accept that there are many people who are looking forward to any version of the band, just as there are people who love Don Felder's tribute band. I can be thankful that Don, Joe and Timothy are still able and willing to perform. However, I do not feel like clapping and cheering; rather I feel sad and a little disappointed. I'm hoping that Don, Joe or Timothy will be able to give an explantion that will make sense of it for me.

Indeed.

buffyfan145
03-11-2017, 11:30 AM
Nice to see it finally confirmed and that is a great line up of other classic rock bands. I've had more time to think over it and it's their decision. I'm still surprised by it and never thought I'd see them perform as the Eagles again but it's not a full tour and so far just this festival. They're going to do what they're going to do. Will be interesting if they perform Glenn's songs or not.

Also I did wonder if this was connected to the 60s themed one at Coachella last year as they said next year's would be 70s themed. Doesn't look like it is so that might be happening too in the fall.

Ive always been a dreamer
03-11-2017, 12:49 PM
First of all, let me begin by saying that I am a life-long Eagles fan and was heartbroken by the loss of Glenn Frey last year. As a fan who has attended several dozen shows over the last decade, it is devastating to know I’ll never see another live performance by my favorite band ever again.

In response to a resumption of the Eagles, it is, no doubt, a very controversial topic. There are some fans who will be elated while others will be repulsed. Both are entitled to their feelings, but let's try to be respectful of both sides.

However, while I haven't responded in this thread up to this point, I can say with certainty that I don’t have to wait for any announcement to know how I feel about this. To be honest, the possibility of the Eagles performing or recording without Glenn causes me much anxiety – the mere thought almost sickens me. I would feel the very same way if this was Don we were talking about. I don’t have to remind anyone that these two men are the only members who were in the band from its inception and are responsible for co-writing and singing most of the band’s hits. I fully support Don, Joe, and Timothy forging on with their solo careers or in collaborative projects with other musicians for as long as they wish to do so. However, there are only three scenarios where I would find a band resumption acceptable:

They perform only a handful of shows billed as a tribute to Glenn with possible guests appearances.
They perform only a handful of shows with Deacon filling in for his father.
They perform together occasionally under another name.

But, speaking only for myself, I believe it will reflect very badly on the remaining band members if they choose to continue performing being marketed and billed as the Eagles without Glenn. Can we say the appearance of greed, disrespect, deceit, and poor taste for starters? If this happens, I can definitively say:

HELL NO – I WON’T GO!!!

maryc2130
03-11-2017, 01:21 PM
I am quite ambivalent about this, primarily because I strongly believe that the Eagles without Glenn are not really the Eagles. In that respect, it just doesn't seem right.

On the other hand, though, when I saw Don, Joe, and Timothy at the Kennedy Center Honors Ceremony, it made me very sad to think they wouldn't be touring together again. In my mind, they belong together, as well as Bernie and the members of the backup band. (Although I loved seeing Don solo and would see Joe and Timothy solo, given the right price and venue.)

The bottom line is that there is most likely a huge financial difference in touring using the Eagles name and not using it. Of course, they could use a billing like, "Formerly of the Eagles" to lessen the gap a bit. I do think that Don and Joe and probably Timothy don't really need the money. Still, I remember a few years ago, when Glenn was still alive, Don stating that when they were planning their tours, they were taking into account that a lot of other people were financially dependent on their tours. I'm not sure if that was a factor in this decision or not, but I'm keeping it in the back of my mind.

So, yes, I'm ambivalent, but my ambivalence will not stop me from trying to get tickets because I love these guys. I have to be honest and admit that if we had lost Don and not Glenn, I might feel differently. I don't know think I would, but it's possible.

Annoying Twit
03-11-2017, 01:38 PM
I've gone through all the concerts on Eagles.com (great to see loads of solo concerts listed there), Don H's website. Joe's website and Twitter. Tim's website. Irving Azoff's twitter.

There is no 'news' that Eagles are getting back together in any of these locations. I do not think that lack of a disconfirmation means that this is confirmed. I continue to wait for official confirmation that Eagles will play at these festivals, or anywhere else.

There is no confirmation that I can see. Can anyone find actual confirmation that the Eagles will play again? As until there is confirmation, I don't believe this.

carol7lynn
03-11-2017, 02:10 PM

Understood!

Remeber, as one wise soul instructed me years ago during a very stressful time in my life: In the end, it's not about the ever-illussive whys, it's about the what. It kindda gets down to them asking themselves the ever-so-complex and soul searching question: What do I do now?

Peace and my compassion. I sort of see it like LindseyB. in Castaway Dreams: "hearts will break with choices we must make...there's been a change in plans...look for (the Eagles in this case) in the morning light dancing on (their) castaway dreams."

Stay Tuned
CarolC

GlennLover
03-11-2017, 02:14 PM
First of all, let me begin by saying that I am a life-long Eagles fan and was heartbroken by the loss of Glenn Frey last year. As a fan who has attended several dozen shows over the last decade, it is devastating to know I’ll never see another live performance by my favorite band ever again.

In response to a resumption of the Eagles, it is, no doubt, a very controversial topic. There are some fans who will be elated while others will be repulsed. Both are entitled to their feelings, but let's try to be respectful of both sides.

However, while I haven't responded in this thread up to this point, I can say with certainty that I don’t have to wait for any announcement to know how I feel about this. To be honest, the possibility of the Eagles performing or recording without Glenn causes me much anxiety – the mere thought almost sickens me. I would feel the very same way if this was Don we were talking about. I don’t have to remind anyone that these two men are the only members who were in the band from its inception and are responsible for co-writing and singing most of the band’s hits. I fully support Don, Joe, and Timothy forging on with their solo careers or in collaborative projects with other musicians for as long as they wish to do so. However, there are only three scenarios where I would find a band resumption acceptable:

They perform only a handful of shows billed as a tribute to Glenn with possible guests appearances.

But, speaking only for myself, I believe it will reflect very badly on the remaining band members if they choose to continue performing being marketed and billed as the Eagles without Glenn. Can we say the appearance of greed, disrespect, deceit, and poor taste for starters? If this happens, I can definitively say:

HELL NO – I WON’T GO!!!

I agree with you, Dreamer, on all points except Deacon filling in for his father. I just doesn't feel right to me somehow. :shrug:

Delilah
03-11-2017, 02:23 PM

I believe that ship sailed after Felder was fired and the Eagles became a touring act with only 2 original members who were also the only 2 on 4/6 albums from their classic era--the source of much of their set list. I realize they had the LROOE album/tour but that work doesn't seem to resonate with the general public or casual fans the way the other albums and songs have. As was pointed out in a recent thread about The Girl From Yesterday being dropped, the entire LROOE track list was dropped. The band must have shrugged their shoulders and realized it's the classic hits people want to hear.

This touring act of the last 15 years relied heavily on their 70s hits, most of which were created and recorded with former members who were forgotten and/or dismissed. There was also heavy reliance on Joe's solo work, as well as backing musicians discreetly adding their vocals to those Eagles harmonies.

What I'm trying to say is I don't believe those who buy tickets to see the band perform this summer should be judged any differently from those who bought tickets to see the touring act the Eagles became over the last decade+. An argument can be made for excepting the HOTE tour.

Delilah
03-11-2017, 02:30 PM
LuvTim, what a sweet thing to say! You're welcome.

maryc2130
03-11-2017, 04:00 PM
I believe that ship sailed after Felder was fired and the Eagles became a touring act with only 2 original members who were also the only 2 on 4/6 albums from their classic era--the source of much of their set list. I realize they had the LROOE album/tour but that work doesn't seem to resonate with the general public or casual fans the way the other albums and songs have. As was pointed out in a recent thread about The Girl From Yesterday being dropped, the entire LROOE track list was dropped. The band must have shrugged their shoulders and realized it's the classic hits people want to hear.

This touring act of the last 15 years relied heavily on their 70s hits, most of which were created and recorded with former members who were forgotten and/or dismissed. There was also heavy reliance on Joe's solo work, as well as backing musicians discreetly adding their vocals to those Eagles harmonies.

What I'm trying to say is I don't believe those who buy tickets to see the band perform this summer should be judged any differently from those who bought tickets to see the touring act the Eagles became over the last decade+. An argument can be made for excepting the HOTE tour.

I could accept this except for two things - those two remaining members not only founded the band, but wrote and had lead vocals for almost all those hits. The band started out trying to be democratic and equal for all members, but it didn't work for many reasons, including the fact that their contributions WEREN'T equal. Even aside from the fact that he founded the band and was band leader, the loss of Glenn to the band is a much, much bigger loss than that of Bernie, Randy or Felder. The loss of Glenn's lead vocals alone leaves a huge hole in any Eagles concert, IMHO, not to mention his backup harmonies and guitar playing.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not lessening what any of those guys gave to the band. I love all the Eagles, past and present. in varying degrees, not least because they were/are extremely talented musicians, but I don't see how anyone can argue that their contributions to the band were equal. (Although I'm sure some will. LOL!)

Funk 50
03-11-2017, 04:06 PM
Does he need 'his' songs? He only had one lead vocal and a bit of lead guitar on HOTE yet was out there for 14 songs IIRC. It was genuinely wonderful to see him back in the fold and I believe Glenn told him that it wasn't over so I can't see why they'd omit him again. Even if he just stands in as an extra rhythm guitarist and vocal harmony he'd definitely be an asset to proceedings.

(Edit - see his inclusion on Hotel California at the RRHOF induction)

I'm a Walsh fan but I don't want this to become a Henley/Walsh show.
I didn't see any of the HOTE tour but once the ballads were out of the way, the set list would be just Henley and Walsh without Glenn's Heartache Tonight and Take It Easy.

Eagles HOTE set list, after Tim's final lead vocal. Love Will Keep Us Alive:

Heartache Tonight
Those Shoes
In the City
Life's Been Good
The Long Run
Funk #49
Life in the Fast Lane
Encore:
Hotel California
Take It Easy
Rocky Mountain Way
Desperado

I've no problem with the Eagles continuing to play live dates but I think they need someone who can sing a song or two towards the end of the set without upsetting the momentum of the show.

Bernie doing Journey Of The Sorcerer could be an awesome addition.

Funk 50
03-11-2017, 05:33 PM
I've gone through all the concerts on Eagles.com (great to see loads of solo concerts listed there), Don H's website. Joe's website and Twitter. Tim's website. Irving Azoff's twitter.

There is no 'news' that Eagles are getting back together in any of these locations. I do not think that lack of a disconfirmation means that this is confirmed. I continue to wait for official confirmation that Eagles will play at these festivals, or anywhere else.

There is no confirmation that I can see. Can anyone find actual confirmation that the Eagles will play again? As until there is confirmation, I don't believe this.

I accept this Billboard article as confirmation, AT, although it doesn't actually confirm the involvement of Don, Joe, Tim or Bernie.

Nice post Delilah :smile: The authenticity of the Eagles has been in question since the original quartet of Glenn, Don, Randy and Bernie was modified but they've always managed to be a great live act. I hope that continues.

Freypower
03-11-2017, 06:33 PM
I will only say one thing about this & that is that I find it desperately sad, not to mention hollow, meaningless & a complete contradiction of Henley's earlier statements that it would be wrong to play without the founding member.

Everyone else feel free to speculate on which songs etc will be played.

Freypower
03-11-2017, 06:47 PM

HELL NO – I WON’T GO!!!

Agreed.

New Kid In Town
03-11-2017, 07:42 PM
Hi everyone. As I stated earlier in this thread, I am new to the Border. I am surprised but not shocked by this. I know about the numerous interviews Don, Tim & Joe have given saying the Eagles ended with Glenn. However, I just recently read a couple of interview with all three in which they indicated they would consider doing some shows together. I also read where Tim and Joe stated they missed playing together.

I guess this is an example of "never say never". I would guess that something like this would include Bernie.... Citi Field is not huge, only holds about 45,000 people as apposed large stadiums that can hold 55,000 to 60,000 people. In fact, I am surprised it is not at Met Life(Giants ) Stadium, which holds 80,000 people and is just as easy to get to.

I have been lucky to see the Eagles twice. I had wanted to attend the HOTE tour but the tickets for really good seats at the Garden were almost $1,000.00. Rafter seats were $225.00. Too expensive for me. I would guess tickets for these shows would be very pricey.

Best Wishes To All,
Tina

WKMB55
03-11-2017, 08:56 PM
I think people make statements in the early stages of grief that later they wish they hadn't. Most people realize within that first year that a major part of their life will be missing forever. You have to decide if you're going to spend the time you have left "living" or just waiting around until your time is up. If Don, Joe, Timothy and maybe Bernie enjoy performing music with each other, why shouldn't they? No one is being forced to buy tickets or attend if they don't support or agree with the decision. I'm not sure but I think in an interview ( maybe the last time they went to Australia) Glenn made a comment about there is a point where commerce meets entertainment.

LovinGlennGirl
03-11-2017, 08:56 PM
I understand all the reasons why or why not, but I still just feel sad.

Brooke
03-11-2017, 09:17 PM
I still find it very hard to believe but, since Don has not come out and said anything yet, I'm skeptical.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/la-et-ms-classic-west-east-festival-eagles-fleetwood-mac-20170302-story.html

Both acts are managed by Azoff MSG Entertainment, but a spokesman for veteran superstar manager Irving Azoff said Thursday that “we are not prepared to release anything officially — this caught us by surprise,” in reference to Billboard’s initial report of the shows.

Surprise? Hmmmmmm.......

ETA: if this has been posted already, beg my forgiveness.

Glennhoney
03-11-2017, 10:38 PM
I will only say one thing about this & that is that I find it desperately sad, not to mention hollow, meaningless & a complete contradiction of Henley's earlier statements that it would be wrong to play without the founding member.

Everyone else feel free to speculate on which songs etc will be played.

..Totally agree.........

WKMB55
03-11-2017, 11:24 PM
All any of us can do is speculate. The decision to perform, the reasons why, the amount they will be paid, who will or will not sing with them and the name they choose are their business. As fans, we can choose to support them or not after they make their choices. You don't have to attend if you don't like what is happening. Because we buy albums, cds, dvds, concert tickets, t-shirts, etc. that doesn't mean that we are entitled to anymore than the enjoyment we receive from our purchases. The band has always been very expressive about how important the fans are and how much they appreciate them.

MaryCalifornia
03-12-2017, 01:07 AM
Totally agree that fans aren't owed any explanation or rationale for these shows, from Don or anyone else. I'm really surprised how many on here stand in judgment of him for this decision and don't support him.

I'm going to take a stab at his statement: "A rare opportunity presented itself for us to play with some old friends. We think this is a great way to honor our brother Glenn's memory and to keep Eagles songs alive." or something similar.

And, what is this about fans hoping the guys will donate any proceeds to charity - why?? Don't you think the Eagles entity and the guys individually have a strong giving plan in place already, over the past decades? What is it to you if they earn more money doing their job, off of these shows? I just don't get this line of thinking.

WKMB55
03-12-2017, 01:18 AM
For most of us the main reason we go to work is to earn a paycheck.

Witchy Woman
03-12-2017, 01:26 AM
I am absolutely mortified. This seems like nothing more than a cash grab, and I would have thought they had more class than that. It is NOT The Eagles without Glenn. From a business standpoint, it's a no-brainer. Clearly, there are people who will pay to see 3/4 of the band play. From a moral standpoint, it's disrespectful to Glenn's memory, and I'm disappointed in them for agreeing to this. None of them is hurting for money. What would have been nice was Don doing a solo show, and Joe and Timothy joining him for some Eagles songs. I certainly hope they had the decency to confer with Cindy and her children beforehand.

UndertheWire
03-12-2017, 06:54 AM
Ultimate Classic Rock has a summary of the story so far and it quotes Henley. I'm assuming they've got it right as it ties in with what I remember. The bolding is mine.

Last September, Don Henley (http://ultimateclassicrock.com/tags/don-henley/) suggested (http://ultimateclassicrock.com/don-henley-eagles-reunion-possible/) that “the only way I would consider any kind of reunion, I think, would be with Glenn’s son, Deacon.” But two months later, he admitted that was more a case of him thinking out loud rather than something that was in the works. And he also repeated that they would likely never perform without Glenn. “I don’t see how we could go out and play without the guy who started the band,” he said (http://ultimateclassicrock.com/eagles-glenn-frey-son-don-henley/). “It would just seem like greed or something. It would seem like a desperate thing.”

Read More: Classic East and West: Everything We Know (and Don’t Know) So Far (http://ultimateclassicrock.com/classic-east-west-questions-eagles-fleetwood-mac/?trackback=tsmclip) | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/classic-east-west-questions-eagles-fleetwood-mac/?trackback=tsmclip

MC, I'm not sure if anyone is saying that they should make charitable donations but that is a common route for wealthy people to deflect criticisms of greed. Add to that what we know of the band diverting part of the bands profits to various charities and the involvement of individual band members with charities over the years and it doesn't seem a stretch. While I don't know the US tax system, I'll posit that it's more tax efficient for the donations to be made by a corporate entity than by the individuals.

TimothyBFan
03-12-2017, 10:55 AM
Hi all! Thought I'd check in this morning just to see how everyone was feeling about this subject. I knew it would be a controversial issue and had seen many different opinions on FB regarding it. I've known for over a year how I would feel if this came to be and my opinion hasn't changed in the least. What Dreamer wrote right here sums it up for me and I couldn't have written my feelings any better. But I'm truly happy for all of you who will be attending and are happy about the concerts. Enjoy!

ETA: I also meant to add that I'm extremely curious on the reasoning for doing this. I know there's been much speculation on the why but I'd love to hear it from them tho I know they owe us no explanation of course. I have my theory tho and it saddens me.

HELL NO – I WON’T GO!!!

Funk 50
03-12-2017, 01:57 PM
I presume that Don, Joe and Tim are doing these concerts for the same reasons they've played every other Eagles show throughout their careers. Whatever they may be.

There was a time when it'd be unthinkable but how do Frey fans feel about the remaining Eagles playing a track or two with a Virtual Glenn? Assuming that Glenn's wife has no objection, the technology is readily available. I'm not keen.

Dawn
03-12-2017, 04:26 PM
Let's be real - The line of persons and entities who stand to profit handsomely from the resurrection of the Eagles is quite long. Do I have a problem with that? Not really. After all none of this could/would happen without the approval and consent of Glenn Frey's wife, his business/legal advisors and of course D, T and J. And there you have it. For me, Glenn Frey will always be the Eagles heart and soul. i won't buy a ticket. But I will keep listening to and enjoying his music.

sodascouts
03-12-2017, 08:10 PM
I keep waiting, keep hoping, that Don will make a statement that they won't be performing as the Eagles, that they won't be acting like Glenn's death was just a hiccup and doesn't make any real difference long-term. I keep hoping that they'll brand themselves as something else.

I have already seen some of the tacky pictures accompanying these articles - HOTE photos with Glenn cropped out - and they sicken me, but they represent what this project will be if they call themselves the Eagles without Glenn. He will be airbrushed out of his own band.

For me....

There is no Eagles without Glenn.

If they call themselves the Eagles now.... I don't know what I'll do with this site. I certainly will not move Glenn to "former Eagles" and change the banner to reflect the "new" lineup! **** that!

I have a lot to say, but I'll keep it inside a little longer, until we hear from Don.

Freypower
03-12-2017, 08:12 PM
I keep waiting, keep hoping, that Don will make a statement that they won't be performing as the Eagles, that they won't be acting like Glenn's death was just a hiccup and doesn't make any real difference long-term. I keep hoping that they'll brand themselves as something else.

I have already seen some of the tacky pictures accompanying these articles - HOTE photos with Glenn cropped out - and they sicken me, but they represent what this project will be if they call themselves the Eagles without Glenn. He will be airbrushed out of his own band.

For me....

There is no Eagles without Glenn.

If they call themselves the Eagles now.... I don't know what I'll do with this site. I certainly will not move Glenn to "former Eagles" and change the banner to reflect the "new" lineup! **** that!

I have a lot to say, but I'll keep it inside a little longer, until we hear from Don.

Yes, Soda. Thank you. I am with you on this as you know & will also restrain myself from commenting too much, although this is partly based on my own current personal circumstances. Life is too short.

Dawn
03-12-2017, 10:22 PM
I found an update but NO official statement.

Frankly I find the speculation in the article as to who might stand in for Glenn downright shameful.

The real question is how do you replace someone who is irreplaceable and why would you even try?

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/classic-east-west-questions-eagles-fleetwood-mac

sodascouts
03-12-2017, 11:27 PM
That website regularly scours other sites for news, rewords it a bit, and then presents it as if it were original material.

And yes, the "replacement" speculation is contemptible. I seriously doubt they would go that route even if they did bill themselves as the Eagles, though.

(Of course, I've been wrong before.)

SilverAcidRayne
03-13-2017, 01:15 AM
so it really is happening? I don't know whether to jump for joy cry or just... cry lol has there been any official word from the men? and I agree Bernie should be included. And this beef with Don Felder should be thrown out at least for one night. And Randy too it would be beautiful.

Funk 50
03-13-2017, 06:59 AM
I've never seen continuing after Glenn's death as an insult to him but if they brought Felder back, I'd see that as an insult to the memory of Glenn.

I'm surprised that it's been so soon but there was always an issue of the backing band, the huge touring entourage and retainers. At some point they'd have to take everybody off the pay role.

Would they carry on paying Irving to be the manager of a band that no longer exists?

Brooke
03-13-2017, 10:01 AM
I'm not for this at all and would like to hear something from Don. Even Irving said after Glenn's death that the Eagles were done, didn't he? Discussing it with my husband, he thought it was great and that Glenn would want them to continue if they wanted to. I just don't know......

I'm all for the remaining guys going out and doing their solo shows, but for them to get together as the Eagles....that's just wrong. :sad:

Philh
03-13-2017, 10:18 AM
This press report says Don Felder and Randy will also be taking part!
This is getting a bit surreal and fake news'ish!

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/eagles-earn-4m-first-live-reunion-shows-after-glenn-freys-death-1611273

GlennLover
03-13-2017, 10:29 AM
I got this in a Google alert. I don't know how reliable this site is. It just calls their informant "the source". Rather suspicious. https://www.list.co.uk/article/89401-the-eagles-are-set-to-reunite/

chaim
03-13-2017, 10:38 AM
"A source" :rofl:

LovinGlennGirl
03-13-2017, 10:45 AM
Tired of alternative facts :(

carol7lynn
03-13-2017, 11:08 AM
This press report says Don Felder and Randy will also be taking part!
This is getting a bit surreal and fake news'ish!

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/eagles-earn-4m-first-live-reunion-shows-after-glenn-freys-death-1611273

Felder back in the fold? Perhaps "fences have been mended."

If this is true, then it shows that, like George Harrison sagely observed, "all things must pass." Feuds end - let the healing begin. No matter what, Glenn will be present "In the Tower of Song."

Stay Tuned
CarolC

carol7lynn
03-13-2017, 11:30 AM
Tired of alternative facts :(

The Russians are probably behind this. :rofl:

Stay Tuned!
CarolC

NightMistBlue
03-13-2017, 11:32 AM
Gosh. Even if there's a mere whisper of a chance that Randy could be participating ...

It can't be true though, right? Felder is very busy this summer. [EDIT: I checked his tour schedule; there doesn't appear to be a conflict, he has time off then.]

Annoying Twit
03-13-2017, 11:38 AM
I must admit that nothing that I'm seeing sways me from my intention to wait for actual confirmation from an Eagle, particularly Don H, before I believe this.

Dawn
03-13-2017, 12:55 PM
if true, this affirms what many have argued that Bernie, Randy and Don FELDER should have been included at the Kennedy Honors awards unless they are only Eagles as a gimmick to drive ticket sales for a quick mega bucks two city tour like the upcoming Classics? I'm sorry but I think the time to reconcile was when Glenn was alive and with his blessing not Henley or Azoff pulling the strings. Am I the only one who feels this way? I love Randy, Bernie and Don Felder this isn't about them it's about Glenn and speculation about what he would "want" made by unnamed sources and published in the public domain by a myriad of Internet based media outlets. Personally I am fed up. Time for a press release from the Henley/Azoff/Frey camps to legitimize who exactly will be taking the stage under the banner of the Eagles. The genie is out of the bottle what are they waiting for?

Rant over.

Or maybe not given how terrible this has been managed from the get go further underscoring the huge void created with the loss of Glenn Frey. :cry:

Delilah
03-13-2017, 01:00 PM
As much as I would love to see Don F join them on stage, I don't think it would be appropriate...although it would go a long way toward healing the band's somewhat cold, unforgiving reputation. At any rate, as NightMistBlue indicates, he has his July calendar full.

It's unfortunate some are so upset by these developments. I understand it may seem a betrayal of Glenn's memory, but keep in mind:

1. We're talking about 2 dates. Just 2. And it's not like they're going out doing their own thing; they will be joined by other acts as part of a festival.

2. Whether or not they call themselves "Eagles", that is how most people will think of them. That's just reality.

3. The Desert Trip at Coachella grossed $160 million. Could/would any of us turn down an opportunity to earn a portion of that just by by playing a couple of dates? How would Glenn approach it? That being said, I don't believe money is the primary motivator--they likely just enjoy playing together and were not prepared for it to be suddenly taken away from them. And they're not getting any younger.

4. This a wonderful opportunity for the remaining members to pay a public tribute for Glenn, one that he deserves. The Grammy appearance just didn't cut it; they were too grief-stricken and it was too soon. With the passage of time, a more thought-out, carefully considered homage can be done.

5. Glenn is not replaceable. I hope no one thinks he is. But someone should sing some of his songs. He deserves to have his songs recognized. I used to wonder why the band continued to perform "Take It to the Limit" long after Randy left. But I realized it was actually an honor; the song was too important a part of their catalog to simply fall by the wayside. Glenn's songs deserve the same honor. In my mind, it would be disrespectful to Glenn NOT to perform any of his songs. Someone else singing them does NOT mean Glenn is being replaced. I certainly would not see it that way. I think it would be great if "Take It Easy" were the encore, and each band member takes a turn singing a few lines. That would be a really cool tribute to him.

As an aside, I agree with the post about the demands that a charitable donation be made as a condition to accepting this reunion...that just seems really presumptuous to me to be dictating how these guys spend their money.

Dawn
03-13-2017, 01:24 PM
None of them need the money and yes it is just a couple of play dates all the more reason to wonder why this is happening at all? Especially given the fallout of negative opinions effecting the Eagles legacy eg. it's not Don Henley's band, he should retire, accusations of greed, unnamed sources stirring the pot, etc.

MaryCalifornia
03-13-2017, 01:41 PM
Is 70 the new 40?

It seems that people assumed that when Glenn died, the others, due to their ages, would retire (I was probably one of these people, and I now realize this perception is ageist, rude, and presumptuous.) I think we should all proceed with the belief that Don, Tim and Glenn will continue to perform professionally for another decade.

These photos yesterday of 71-year-old Jaclyn Smith made me think that even in the past decade, it is becoming more acceptable for older stars to continue to use every method at their disposal to stay young and relevant, and good for them. The Rolling Stones being a prime example. Does this look like a 71-year old woman? Our perceptions of this age group need to change.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-4306560/Jaclyn-Smith-looks-youthful-Arizona.html

Don, Tim and Joe show absolutely no signs of slowing down. They look fit, fabulous, voices are in good form, writing new stuff, solo shows, joint shows, summer festival, etc..so why the talk of retiring?

UndertheWire
03-13-2017, 01:45 PM
Delilah, I agree with much of what you wrote, but particularly this:

5. Glenn is not replaceable. I hope no one thinks he is. But someone should sing some of his songs. He deserves to have his songs recognized. I used to wonder why the band continued to perform "Take It to the Limit" long after Randy left. But I realized it was actually an honor; the song was too important a part of their catalog to simply fall by the wayside. Glenn's songs deserve the same honor. In my mind, it would be disrespectful to Glenn NOT to perform any of his songs. Someone else singing them does NOT mean Glenn is being replaced. I certainly would not see it that way. I think it would be great if "Take It Easy" were the encore, and each band member takes a turn singing a few lines. That would be a really cool tribute to him.
I'd probably be happier with several special guests coming in to sing one song each in their own way, rather than a ringer for Glenn performing throughout.

GlennLover
03-13-2017, 02:07 PM
if true, this affirms what many have argued that Bernie, Randy and Don FELDER should have been included at the Kennedy Honors awards unless they are only Eagles as a gimmick to drive ticket sales for a quick mega bucks two city tour like the upcoming Classics? I'm sorry but I think the time to reconcile was when Glenn was alive and with his blessing not Henley or Azoff pulling the strings. Am I the only one who feels this way? I love Randy, Bernie and Don Felder this isn't about them it's about Glenn and speculation about what he would "want" made by unnamed sources and published in the public domain by a myriad of Internet based media outlets. Personally I am fed up. Time for a press release from the Henley/Azoff/Frey camps to legitimize who exactly will be taking the stage under the banner of the Eagles. The genie is out of the bottle what are they waiting for?

Rant over.

Or maybe not given how terrible this has been managed from the get go further underscoring the huge void created with the loss of Glenn Frey. :cry:

I feel the same way, Dawn. And why aren't we getting clarification or confirmation from the band members or it's management (ie. Irving)?

Brooke
03-13-2017, 02:45 PM
I feel the same way, Dawn. And why aren't we getting clarification or confirmation from the band members or it's management (ie. Irving)?

That's what I wanna know! :hmm:

Delilah
03-13-2017, 03:37 PM
Gosh. Even if there's a mere whisper of a chance that Randy could be participating ...

It can't be true though, right? Felder is very busy this summer. [EDIT: I checked his tour schedule; there doesn't appear to be a conflict, he has time off then.]

NMB, while there is no conflict with the Classic West date (7/15), there is one with the Classic East date (7/29). He's slated to be play in Houston that day. But curiously enough, that Houston date is not showing up on his FB...

sodascouts
03-13-2017, 03:55 PM
You don't have to be an industry insider to know that the "source" claiming all former Eagles will be playing is full of it.

(The following is completely speculative.)

I think there is radio silence at the moment because Don is unsure about going through with a "new" Eagles. You can bet he's under a lot of pressure to keep the money rolling in, even if it means turning the "Eagles" into a soulless shadow of the band they once were and treating Glenn like "non-essential personnel." It would take a strong man to say no to that kind of money, right or wrong... And once he says yes, there's no turning back. The Eagles legacy will be forever altered.

Brooke
03-13-2017, 05:01 PM
Plus, he's in Australia at the moment! He may not be able to say anything while there.

Freypower
03-13-2017, 05:42 PM
Is 70 the new 40?

It seems that people assumed that when Glenn died, the others, due to their ages, would retire (I was probably one of these people, and I now realize this perception is ageist, rude, and presumptuous.) I think we should all proceed with the belief that Don, Tim and Glenn will continue to perform professionally for another decade.

These photos yesterday of 71-year-old Jaclyn Smith made me think that even in the past decade, it is becoming more acceptable for older stars to continue to use every method at their disposal to stay young and relevant, and good for them. The Rolling Stones being a prime example. Does this look like a 71-year old woman? Our perceptions of this age group need to change.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-4306560/Jaclyn-Smith-looks-youthful-Arizona.html

Don, Tim and Joe show absolutely no signs of slowing down. They look fit, fabulous, voices are in good form, writing new stuff, solo shows, joint shows, summer festival, etc..so why the talk of retiring?

There is no suggestion that Don, Tim & Joe should retire. The objection is to them performing together again billed as 'Eagles' without Glenn Frey who apparently no longer matters.

I very much doubt there will be any statement.

I said I wasn't going to post much about this but I would feel better about it if more effort had gone into preparing a tribute for Glenn & delivering it, and THEN seeing if the three of them still wanted to perform together. I can't see how a massive festival show can be used to do a tribute. The complete absence of any tribute from these people apart from the Grammys which was not well thought out, has been one of the most distressing aspects of losing Glenn for me.

Dawn
03-13-2017, 06:00 PM
You don't have to be an industry insider to know that the "source" claiming all former Eagles will be playing is full of it.

(The following is completely speculative.)

I think there is radio silence at the moment because Don is unsure about going through with a "new" Eagles. You can bet he's under a lot of pressure to keep the money rolling in, even if it means turning the "Eagles" into a soulless farce of a band and treating Glenn like "non-essential personnel." It would take a strong man to say no to that kind of money, right or wrong... And once he says yes, there's no turning back. The Eagles legacy will be forever altered.

Well said Soda.

Surely Don understands once he opens Pandora's Box there is no second act. As you say the Eagles legacy will be forever altered. That's a heavy concern by any one's measure and we can only hope Don is also thinking about Glenn Frey's legacy. Since no one but a select few could/would know what Glenn would want it's absurd for media outlets to engage in pure fantasy and speculation. As I said earlier clearly Glenn's family, friends, agent, business mgr, former band members etc have reached an agreement of some sort otherwise we'd hear major protesting and denials from the various camps. It's going to happen we just don't know how it will unfold or what Glenn, himself, actually wants.

What saddens me is the simple fact Glenn Frey doesn't need anyone to sing his songs to keep him relevant. His legacy lives on in a timeless collection of songs we can listen to any time we want. Truth be told - No one can sing Glenn's songs or play his music better than Glenn himself. That's a gift of a lifetime.

MaryCalifornia
03-13-2017, 06:07 PM
FP, my post was in direct response to Dawn who said Don should retire, or at least that is how I read her post. Who thinks that Glenn no longer matters? Whatever the other three guys do, they are inextricably linked with Glenn forever. Every interview, every performance, every move they make, they will be asked about Glenn. Forever. Regardless of how they style themselves as a trio, his impact will never cease, they will never be out of his shadow. As it should be.

MaryCalifornia
03-13-2017, 06:11 PM
I said I wasn't going to post much about this but I would feel better about it if more effort had gone into preparing a tribute for Glenn & delivering it, and THEN seeing if the three of them still wanted to perform together.

Unfortunately for fans, there was lovely tribute for Glenn, it just wasn't public.:depressed:

Freypower
03-13-2017, 06:19 PM
FP, my post was in direct response to Dawn who said Don should retire, or at least that is how I read her post. Who thinks that Glenn no longer matters? Whatever the other three guys do, they are inextricably linked with Glenn forever. Every interview, every performance, every move they make, they will be asked about Glenn. Forever. Regardless of how they style themselves as a trio, his impact will never cease, they will never be out of his shadow. As it should be.

I thought Dawn was summarising the negative opinions when she said e.g. Don should retire, rather than expressing that opinon herself.

As for yes, there was a tribute, it just wan't public, I'm afraid I fail to find any consolation in that.

MaryCalifornia
03-13-2017, 06:40 PM
Agree that a festival would not be a good venue to do a nice public tribute.

Dawn
03-13-2017, 06:47 PM

I've been reading other discussions and comments in a variety of places on the Internet trying to get a read on what fans are thinking and feeling and yes, I have seen remarks highly critical of Don Henley some telling him he's not the Eagles and should retire. I don't take that in the literal sense but rather an expression of disapproval for the Eagles name being used to further what looks like a self serving agenda and money grab. Can't say I blame anyone for feeling that way given the lack of transparency and failure of an official announcement to end the rampant speculation and misinformation.

Should Henley retire the band is a fair question only time will tell/answer.

03-13-2017, 09:20 PM
I think the point that many of us are trying to make is that continuing the Eagles gives the appearance of greed and disrespect, among other things. Don Henley said so himself. No one is saying that they can’t continue the band, but as fans, we can certainly pass judgment about whether we believe they should. Just as others who think it’s a great idea are passing judgment. I agree with Soda that continuing without Glenn will change the band’s legacy, and not in a good way, IMHO. Perhaps they should take a page from the band that is widely considered the greatest ever. After they broke up, The Beatles never performed again. Perhaps they would have also had a resumption after more time passed, but after John Lennon died, The Beatles were history. There were many fans who screamed for them to perform together again, but, ultimately it turned out the way it should have – all those wishers survived, and so did the untarnished legacy of The Beatles.

Witchy Woman
03-14-2017, 01:32 AM
Was reading some chatter on the metal message board I post on that Bob Seger will be joining them for the festivals. Apparently, Bob has been teasing some sort of big announcement for almost a month now.

UndertheWire
03-14-2017, 04:18 AM
If Bob Seger is part of it, there's no chance that Glenn would be forgotten. No that he'd be forgotten anyway, but Bob's link with the band is through his friendship with Glenn and he has continued to speak of Glenn over the last year.

Funk 50
03-14-2017, 06:01 AM
why aren't we getting clarification or confirmation from the band members or it's management (ie. Irving)?

I'm sure the band will want to make such an important announcement united, which is impossible with Don in Australia. Once he returns, I expect a press conference will take place, as the tickets go on sale.

Maybe it would be a big enough topic for the main page then.

If Seger is involved, I hope he's one of several guests. He's not a harmony singer, is he?

UndertheWire
03-14-2017, 06:31 AM
Most of the backing musicians sing harmony so possibly a featured lead singer would not need to sing harmony. However, including several featured guests would be one way to avoid the impression of "replacing" Glenn and would it seem like this was a special event rather than a warm-up for the next Eagles tour. My feeling is that treating these shows as exceptional would not hurt the legacy, but a tour would.

Going back to an earlier comment, I hate the idea of a "virtual" Glenn on stage. Photos or even video footage without music might work (thinking of Joe's tribute) but the actual music has to be played live. Otherwise, they may as well lip-synch.

buffyfan145
03-14-2017, 10:23 AM
That's interesting about Bob possibly being involved. I could see that and him, Timothy, and Don (or other guests) singing lead on Glenn's lead vocals songs. I agree that after thinking more on it I'm a bit more ok with it that it's just so far these two festival appearances and not a full tour. I agree with what Dreamer said comparing it to how the Beatles never got back together after John was killed and it was why I was so shocked when this news came out. I figured they never would but again it's their decision. And I agree with UTW that having guests would make this also seem more of a tribute as well as a festival with the other bands, one for the East Coast and another for the West Coast.

DivineDon
03-14-2017, 11:47 AM
I have to say I've been trying to keep my counsel reading this thread these last few days but it's been very hard. I am absolutely furious at some of the negative comments towards Don. There hasn't been an official statement yet and there won't be until he finishes his tour of Australia and NZ. If he came out now then the whole tour would be undermined because all the headlines and press would be focused on the re-union. And yes, I know that that's what people are talking about anyway but can't we at least see what's been planned before we denegrate it. For all we know, Cindy Frey watched Bob Seger's enthusiastic performance at the KCH and persuaded Don et al that Glenn would have wanted the show to go on - and why wouldn't she? I'm darn sure that if the shoe was on the other foot then Glenn supporter's would 'understand' the wish of the band to carry on whatever name they choose. And yes, I am biased but so is everyone else.

If it happens, I hope there will be more recognition of Glenn than the rather perfunctuary acknowledgement that Don has given in his solo shows. "This is for Glenn" and singing a song that he was always going to sing just wouldn't cut it. As for performing Glenn's songs, it would be appropriate to include a few.

And UTW this is way below the belt. If you had been where I was standing directly in front of Don thanking the people for their support for 'a tough year' you wouldn't call it tokenistic which is what you're suggesting. Don has always kept his counsel and no-one has any right to question his feelings just because he hasn't displayed enough emotion for your liking.

And yes, I am finished with The Border. I'm sick of the clear demarcations that have developed since Glenn died. He was a great man, singer and performer but not a saint. If Don, Joe and Timothy want to get back together then they are entitled to - they don't need the money but maybe they need the fans and the music and Glenn would've been the first one to recognise that.

The Beatles had gone their seperate ways for years before John Lennon died so it's not the same thing at all.

Delilah
03-14-2017, 11:55 AM
I've been reading other discussions and comments in a variety of places on the Internet trying to get a read on what fans are thinking and feeling and yes, I have seen remarks highly critical of Don Henley some telling him he's not the Eagles and should retire. I don't take that in the literal sense but rather an expression of disapproval for the Eagles name being used to further what looks like a self serving agenda and money grab. Can't say I blame anyone for feeling that way given the lack of transparency and failure of an official announcement to end the rampant speculation and misinformation.

Should Henley retire the band is a fair question only time will tell/answer.

I've read online criticism about the band that goes back years, based on the same complaints: "greedy" "money grab" "self-serving" "why don't these guys hang it up and go away already" etc. It's nothing new. There was even an article in The Onion years ago poking fun at the band for "threatening" to go back on tour and record a new album. I don't think performing a couple of dates this summer is going to make much difference when it comes to their legacy or image. Unfortunately, it has been tarnished for a long time now for a variety of reasons.

carol7lynn
03-14-2017, 04:15 PM
I've read online criticism about the band that goes back years, based on the same complaints: "greedy" "money grab" "self-serving" "why don't these guys hang it up and go away already" etc. It's nothing new......... I don't think performing a couple of dates this summer is going to make much difference when it comes to their legacy or image. Unfortunately, it has been tarnished for a long time now for a variety of reasons.

Amen! Delilah

I had just moved to Los Angeles when the proverbial, you know what, hit the fan with respect to Henley's lifestyle choices: Under-aged girls and illegal, mind alterating and mood altering substances. Their imagine, at the time as outlaw gentlemen, was definitely called into question; if nothing else.

Then fast forward thirty years or so and Randy Meisner wife splatters her brains all over the place in a tragic accident involving a closet and a shotgun. It was ruled an accident but neither one of them, from the pictures in the press, looked "normal." They looked like they belonged on skid row not a home in the hills or wherever they lived at the time. Two lost souls is the image that they conveyed to me. So very sad.

I would think being thought greedy a vast improvement over the stuff delineated above since greed can be explained away as something kindda hardwired into us by either genetics or experience (e.g. Fear there is not enough to go around turns some people into horders.)

Listen, I live in a glasshouse myself, so I'm not throwing stones. I'm throwing out the notion that "often times it happens that we live our life in chains, and we never even know we have the key." Change is scary but inevitable. Unlock your resistance. Who knows what tomorrow will bring? Que Sera Sera!

Stay Tuned!
CarolC

Freypower
03-14-2017, 05:12 PM
Amen! Delilah

I had just moved to Los Angeles when the proverbial, you know what, hit the fan with respect to Henley's lifestyle choices: Under-aged girls and illegal, mind alterating and mood altering substances. Their imagine, at the time as outlaw gentlemen, was definitely called into question; if nothing else.

Then fast forward thirty years or so and Randy Meisner wife splatters her brains all over the place in a tragic accident involving a closet and a shotgun. It was ruled an accident but neither one of them, from the pictures in the press, looked "normal." They looked like they belonged on skid row not a home in the hills or wherever they lived at the time. Two lost souls is the image that they conveyed to me. So very sad.

I would think being thought greedy a vast improvement over the stuff delineated above since greed can be explained away as something kindda hardwired into us by either genetics or experience (e.g. Fear there is not enough to go around turns some people into horders.)

Listen, I live in a glasshouse myself, so I'm not throwing stones. I'm throwing out the notion that "often times it happens that we live our life in chains, and we never even know we have the key." Change is scary but inevitable. Unlock your resistance. Who knows what tomorrow will bring? Que Sera Sera!

Stay Tuned!
CarolC

If you wish to believe this you have every right to do so. However the underlying implication of this & other posts of yours seems to me of 'liberation'. Glenn Frey is gone. Now they're free.

Glenn Frey was my favourite member of the Eagles. I see no reason why this alleged 'change' had to occur. I have no idea what tomorrow will bring. All I know is that Glenn Frey is not part of it. Hence I really want nothing to do with it. I will follow the solo careers of Henley, Walsh & Schmit. That's all.

By the way in answer to DD there has been virtually no criticism of Henley in this thread that I can see, just discussion of what has been said about him elsewhere. As for the claim that people think Glenn is a 'saint' this has never been stated at all. Irreplaceable, yes. A saint, no.

Delilah
03-14-2017, 05:14 PM
Amen! Delilah

Stay Tuned!
CarolC

As a huge Randy fan, I could have done without the graphic description of what no doubt was the most painful day of his life. Seriously. :sad:

sodascouts
03-14-2017, 06:39 PM
Obviously, this is a highly emotional time, and perhaps people are saying things they may later regret. Maybe we should all take a deep breath.

I continue to await a statement from Don. I am sure there will be one. However, I agree it might come in the form of a press conference with all the remaining guys, and thus it would not occur until his return from Australia. I believe his last date "down under" is March 25.

That's a long time to wait, though. I must be frank. I feel allowing this uncertainty to fester is a bad idea; it only brings in a lot of unnecessary drama and negativity. This is a situation that should have been handled with delicacy, and right now, it's barely being handled at all.

MaryCalifornia
03-14-2017, 07:30 PM
So true, Soda. All I can think is that the project is in the works, but they haven't finalized all contractual details. So, their options are to categorically deny it, but then they will have to do a 180 say it's happening OR confirm that it is happening, except that all parties' lawyers haven't dotted all the i's and crossed all the t's and the thing could still go south, OR, say, "no comment" which I think is sort of what Irving implied with his response. So, it's just sitting out there, awkwardly.

I would be surprised (and impressed) if there were an actual press conference with the 3 guys to announce these 2 shows, instead of just a statement. Guess we'll see.

MaryCalifornia
03-14-2017, 07:31 PM
That was really weird, why did my reply to Soda go above her post?

Is it my machine, or are these two posts above Soda's? Help!

UndertheWire
03-14-2017, 07:39 PM
That was really weird, why did my reply to Soda go above her post?

Is it my machine, or are these two posts above Soda's? Help!
Perhaps the board clock has been fixed. I'm testing that now. The time is 23:30.

ETA It seems it hasn't.

WalshFan88
03-14-2017, 08:26 PM
I really hate this....not necessarily the fact this could happen (that's for my next post), but that we are soooo divided and stressed right now. As if we didn't have enough of that for those of us in the USA. I agree with Soda, when this blows over (in whatever way it does) it will still be a sore spot for a lot of people and regret is bound to happen. At this point it's like it's already been confirmed. It's like "it might as well happen, because we are feeling bad about it as if it did already". I've personally felt like that many times. I really wish this wouldn't have happened, much like I wish the 2016 election could have been "skipped". I hate stress.

All I can say is that I really hope the drama dies down and the interpersonal relations can go on as before. I really think that it can, but it is difficult now.

My next post will be my thoughts on the news.

TW
03-14-2017, 08:35 PM
I really hate this....not necessarily the fact this could happen (that's for my next post), but that we are soooo divided and stressed right now. As if we didn't have enough of that for those of us in the USA. I agree with Soda, when this blows over (in whatever way it does) it will still be a sore spot for a lot of people and regret is bound to happen. At this point it's like it's already been confirmed. It's like "it might as well happen, because we are feeling bad about it as if it did already". I've personally felt like that many times. I really wish this wouldn't have happened, much like I wish the 2016 election could have been "skipped". I hate stress.

All I can say is that I really hope the drama dies down and the interpersonal relations can go on as before. I really think that it can, but it is difficult now.

My next post will be my thoughts on the news.

Well said, I haven't given my thoughts on this yet for two reasons...

1. I'm not completely sure which side I take. Both sides present good arguments, and no matter which side I pick it doesn't really matter. In the end it's up to the guys to decide.

2. I would really rather just stay out of it. I tend to have strong opinions and I would hate to offend someone or say stuff that I didn't mean in the heat of an argument.

WalshFan88
03-14-2017, 08:57 PM
My thoughts on a reformed Eagles with a new singer (be it with or without former members) are this...I think for a ONE off tribute, it is fine. But to go on under the banner of the Eagles as if nothing ever happened, like a personnel change is uneasy to think about. NOT blaming Don here or saying he's a bad guy (it's actually Irving that I'm directing this to mostly). I was not a huge GF fan, but I DID respect that he was one of the lead singers and the guy behind it....as much as I hated it at times. And as much as I think Felder's departure was taken way too lightly, I feel Frey's would be even moreso, and that's saying a lot as I truly was/am a Felder fan and I felt he got a raw deal.

I just think Frey's role(s) in the band were/are too important to replace and that while maybe right or wrong Henley sang more or was more of the prominent voice, Glenn was a HUGE part in the band, too big of a part to sweep under the proverbial rug. And that goes for replacing Henley as well, to be fair. I think that if this is going into a full force tour, it just really cheapens the band's legacy and sometimes hell shouldn't freeze over for the second time.

Bob is a big name in his own right, he doesn't need the Eagles. Same for Jackson and Vince. Might it be cool to stick in your history book, maybe. But it's not necessary for any of those men to do it for anything other than extra cash. Similarly, I would have to feel like if the band went on, I'd feel like it was just a money grab. I'm sorry, and as much as I wished it was for the music but they have their own solos careers for that outlet if that were the real reason for it. They could also choose to tour together under a different name and do that.

Now I know some of Don's fans are unhappy about some of the comments. And I must say, we are ALL biased. But imagine for a second if the roles were reversed...Don had died and Glenn was going to continue the band for more than a one off but rather tour with a new singer and on the surface it seemed like business as usual and just a personnel change, I bet you would be unhappy. So while I agree about the fighting and some comments that are over the top and demeaning, at least be somewhat sympathetic to Glenn's fans for feeling the way they do about the band possibly continuing on without their favorite member and how it might feel to see the band moving on without him.

All in all, I hope it doesn't happen. But if it does, at the very least I hope we can all still be kind to each other and not turn it into a dramatic echo chamber.

carol7lynn
03-14-2017, 08:58 PM
Sorry, to those who do not agree with my reaction to the news or the manner in which I express myself, but the fact that I am supporting the proposed event, should not be construed as anything more than it is-support. :applause:

Peace!:heart:

CarolC

VAisForEagleLovers
03-14-2017, 10:43 PM
All those who know me, know I'm a "Glenn-girl", and have been since about 1976. Most of you know that out of all the artists out there, Don has always been my #2. Consequently, most of posts in this thread are ones I can relate to, on both sides of the coin.

I keep thinking that we don't know the facts. Even with a press release with an official announcement, we aren't going to get all the facts. Our guys just don't operate like that. Everything on here and on the various social media pages for radio stations, etc, I've seen everyone laying this on Don. Yet is it Irving that is running the entire show, literally, as this festival is his baby. Irving and Glenn were great friends, and as far as I know, Cindy and Shelli still are. Irving would know what Glenn's wishes were. What if this is what Glenn wanted? How disrespectful would it be of them not to follow through on it?

I have a hard time believing Irving would go against Glenn's wishes on this. (By his own admission, Don wasn't as close to Glenn in the last few years and so might not be in as good of a position to know what Glenn wanted). Glenn's exact wishes on the matter are likely something we aren't going to get in a press release. I would like everyone to think about this, though. What if it was in reverse? What if we knew as a fact that Glenn wanted something along these lines, and we knew that Irving and Don were refusing to do it? How would we feel about that? Most people tend to feel that not honoring the wishes of the dearly departed is the ultimate sign of disrespect.

I did read the posts about Don and his supposed lack when it came to mentioning Glenn in concert. I can see why people might think that, so I do want everyone here to know that there has been no lack of emotion from him on this. As someone who has been lucky enough to sit in the first couple of rows for three of Don's concerts since Jan. 2016, and in row 6 for another and the Runaway event, to me the emotion has been obvious. More than once the look in his eyes, the emotion, has made me cry (really cry), during NYM and Desperado. I think it's unfair to imply that Don has been blasé about Glenn's death, and I did read it as a criticism of him, which is why I'm posting here and wanting to give my perspective of it.

Lastly, I'll reiterate what I said before. This is two shows, not a tour. Maybe there will be other shows, maybe there won't be. In my mind I leave open the possibility that a few shows here and there is something Glenn might have wished for. I feel it's a decision best left to those who knew him best, and I know I certainly am not in a position to judge.

sodascouts
03-14-2017, 11:46 PM
I don't pretend to know Don, but he doesn't seem like a guy who talks a lot about his feelings with people, unless he's doing so in his lyrics. Thus, I think the dedication and oblique statements about a "hard year" were actually big steps for Don. I agree that they were definitely heartfelt.

Also, I don't blame Don for how poorly this is being managed. It's not his job to worry about PR or do damage control.

For the record, if it had been Don who'd passed away first, I would still think the "Eagles" as a band should be retired and any future projects mounted under another banner. Can anyone here picture Glenn putting on an Eagles show without Don Henley? I sure as hell can't.

PS MaryCA, I have no idea what went wrong with the post order, but I fixed it manually.

StephUK
03-15-2017, 12:20 AM
I've no problem with Don, Joe & Timothy doing shows together, or with Bernice & Randy - although I doubt that Randy will join them, given his health problems - but I do have a problem with them calling themselves the Eagles. Yes, I would go to a show, so long as they use a different name.

Maybe it will turn out to be Don with his band at this festival. Who knows!

LuvTim
03-15-2017, 12:42 AM
Well said, I haven't given my thoughts on this yet for two reasons...

1. I'm not completely sure which side I take. Both sides present good arguments, and no matter which side I pick it doesn't really matter. In the end it's up to the guys to decide.

2. I would really rather just stay out of it. I tend to have strong opinions and I would hate to offend someone or say stuff that I didn't mean in the heat of an argument.

What a wise young person you are. Bless you.

WalshFan88
03-15-2017, 12:49 AM
For the record, if it had been Don who'd passed away first, I would still think the "Eagles" as a band should be retired and any future projects mounted under another banner. Can anyone here picture Glenn putting on an Eagles show without Don Henley? I sure as hell can't.

Absolutely.

Philh
03-15-2017, 07:49 AM
I think we should all keep this in perspective.
Whatever happens with Classic East and West, they are just another couple of shows.
I am just so glad that Don, Joe and Timothy are still performing.
They are all nearly 70 so I think we should be grateful they didn't retire years ago.
Glenn said to Bernie after the final HOTE show that this wasn't the end. Indeed they were planning a Hotel California tour.
Obviously Glenn couldn't foresee the future but he wanted the band to go on.
If Cindy is fine with it then I see no problem with Don, Joe and Timothy continuing the best band in the world-Eagles.
It will never be the same without Glenn's great vocals, musicianship and his sense of humour but how many bands are still touring with just one original member?
I think we should all just relax and see what happens. After all it's only rock and roll but I like it!

UndertheWire
03-15-2017, 08:05 AM
My thinking is quite muddled about all this and that probably comes from trying to understand everyone's point of view. Some of my thoughts are contradictory.

Retiring the band would have been a nice gesture. However, if Don, Joe and Timothy want to play together again, I can understand that. It would seem a bit silly to call themselves anything other than "Eagles" as that's what everyone will call them and using the brand will earn them a lot more money. But after all that's been said, particularly by Don, it seems strange to think they can continue without Glenn.

From my fan view, I feel slightly dissatisfield with the lack of a public memorial/tribute to Glenn. I'm not looking for emotion, just words and music, maybe a more comprehensive written tribute on the official website. Something.

In the background, I'm thinking of my disappointment with the way that Bernie and Randy were neglected in the KCH tribute. That leads to thoughts of whether history might be rewritten to marginalise Glenn.

I'm just hoping that when the official statements are made, it's something that works for me.

On a side note, I love that Bob Seger wrote a song about Glenn, that Jack Tempchin is recording a tribute album but best of all is when JD tells a Glenn anecdote before singing a song they wrote together, and the song and stories aren't the same every time.

Glennsallnighter
03-15-2017, 08:10 AM
I would not be adverse to Don Timothy and Joe making music - either together, as pairs or individually. Its their livelihood after all and indeed its the livelihood of the 'hundred or more people who work every night to bring these shows to.....' as Glenn :heart: always said. But I'm not happy with the band still being called Eagles like nothing had happened. I'm not comfortable with the idea that Glenn :heart: can just be replaced in HIS band like a sub in a football game. And I'm not happy with the shoddy way that this has been presented to the public/ managed. Leaks here and there, media reports on what might or might not happen a deafening silence from Don Henley who si busy touring in Australia....

To me it has money written all over it. In the early 90s Irving wnated his boys back togethjer and he got his way. I'm thinking its the same now. He wants the boys back performing and making him money. I read today in a British publication that the remaining Eagles will earn over $4M for their efforts at these festivals. Maybe when/ if Henley makes a statement about it I will be happier. One side of me is curious to see what will materialise but I just have a strange feeling

TW
03-15-2017, 08:39 AM
What a wise young person you are. Bless you.

You're so sweet! Thank you. :heart:

Brooke
03-15-2017, 02:36 PM
I don't pretend to know Don, but he doesn't seem like a guy who talks a lot about his feelings with people, unless he's doing so in his lyrics. Thus, I think the dedication and oblique statements about a "hard year" were actually big steps for Don. I agree that they were definitely heartfelt.

Also, I don't blame Don for how poorly this is being managed. It's not his job to worry about PR or do damage control.

Everyone has had some great comments, but this sums it up pretty good for me.

I really think Irving could have handled this himself when it was leaked. It smells of truth, but the details were not ironed out and he doesn't want to confirm until they are. And the longer we wait, the more it seems to be true.

Personally, if it's just going to be these two shows and not a tour, then I don't think it's that big a deal. Especially if they do SOME kind of mention of Glenn. I think Jackson, JD, or Bob could perform a song of his. I wish they wouldn't use the Eagles name though. Everyone knows who they were. I will not like it at all if they decide to tour as the Eagles. That's just not right and I will not go. I don't mind if one or two of them get together here and there, but would rather just see them do their solo shows as they have been.

I don't think there's a chance in Hell that Randy or Felder will be involved. Randy is ill and well, you know Glenn would have NEVER performed again with Felder. Bernie might be involved since he was along for HotE.

I would also have preferred more of a fans tribute show from them, but they DID have one for friends and family and it doesn't look like we will get one.

WalshFan88
03-15-2017, 05:58 PM
While it's true only two shows have been discussed, it isn't too much of a leap to think that they will be doing more and more, even if not a tour, but more of these "one off x10" shows. And if it's only those two shows, what's so special about East and West? Why not any other place or just a tribute show with only the band on the roster at a specific venue? I think if they do those two, there will be more to come. Mark my words. If Irving can get them to do East and West, there will be more coming along that he'll find a way to get them to do. Or Vegas residencies, or something. Maybe not a full tour, but it's going to be like the potato chip analogy, you can't eat just one (or two in this case). If there will only be two and that's it, you'd think it wouldn't be on a full bill and would be more specific to just the band. My guess is they will be doing more of those festival type things like Desert Trip or Vegas residencies, etc. Just my 2c.

sodascouts
03-15-2017, 06:40 PM
Yeah... it wouldn't stop with two. These festivals are not special events that are once-in-a-lifetime deals; they are massive money making machines and they will be put on regularly until they are no longer profitable.

There will be plenty of similar festivals and opportunities for "special appearances" should they choose to go that route.

03-15-2017, 06:51 PM
Well stated post, WF88. Just to clarify, my posts in this thread have not been intended to judge the upcoming festival shows because I have no idea how they will be billed. As I said previously, if they were done as tribute shows to Glenn, then I would definitely be eager to go. My objection is the remaining members continuing to tour as the ‘Eagles’. And I think Austin nailed it.

All those who know me, know I'm a "Glenn-girl", and have been since about 1976. Most of you know that out of all the artists out there, Don has always been my #2. Consequently, most of posts in this thread are ones I can relate to, on both sides of the coin.

I keep thinking that we don't know the facts. Even with a press release with an official announcement, we aren't going to get all the facts. Our guys just don't operate like that. Everything on here and on the various social media pages for radio stations, etc, I've seen everyone laying this on Don. Yet is it Irving that is running the entire show, literally, as this festival is his baby. Irving and Glenn were great friends, and as far as I know, Cindy and Shelli still are. Irving would know what Glenn's wishes were. What if this is what Glenn wanted? How disrespectful would it be of them not to follow through on it?

I have a hard time believing Irving would go against Glenn's wishes on this. (By his own admission, Don wasn't as close to Glenn in the last few years and so might not be in as good of a position to know what Glenn wanted). Glenn's exact wishes on the matter are likely something we aren't going to get in a press release. I would like everyone to think about this, though. What if it was in reverse? What if we knew as a fact that Glenn wanted something along these lines, and we knew that Irving and Don were refusing to do it? How would we feel about that? Most people tend to feel that not honoring the wishes of the dearly departed is the ultimate sign of disrespect.

I did read the posts about Don and his supposed lack when it came to mentioning Glenn in concert. I can see why people might think that, so I do want everyone here to know that there has been no lack of emotion from him on this. As someone who has been lucky enough to sit in the first couple of rows for three of Don's concerts since Jan. 2016, and in row 6 for another and the Runaway event, to me the emotion has been obvious. More than once the look in his eyes, the emotion, has made me cry (really cry), during NYM and Desperado. I think it's unfair to imply that Don has been blasé about Glenn's death, and I did read it as a criticism of him, which is why I'm posting here and wanting to give my perspective of it.

Lastly, I'll reiterate what I said before. This is two shows, not a tour. Maybe there will be other shows, maybe there won't be. In my mind I leave open the possibility that a few shows here and there is something Glenn might have wished for. I feel it's a decision best left to those who knew him best, and I know I certainly am not in a position to judge.

And VA, yours are very reasonable and well-stated remarks as well. However, it doesn’t convince me because my feelings about this aren’t based on anyone’s wishes who is associated with the band, including Glenn. The band is absolutely free to proceed however they want, but that doesn’t mean, as a fan, I have to like their decision. I have always said as far as I’m concerned ‘No Glenn or No Don = No Eagles – as least for me. You are correct that we will probably never know what the band’s individual wishes are, but, again, that’s not what really matters to me. The way I see it, the band is bigger than any of the individual members. It’s the band’s legacy that I care most about.

sodascouts
03-15-2017, 07:19 PM
Agreed, Dreamer. I'm not sitting here trying to divine "what Glenn would want" before I form my opinion (although admittedly I find VA's theoretical scenario that Glenn expressed a desire for the Eagles to continue unlikely in light of what Don has said). For me, there is no getting around that one fundamental truth:

There is no Eagles without Glenn Frey.

Nothing anyone can do, nothing anyone wants, will change that. They can call themselves the Eagles (which I still hope they don't), but it won't really BE the Eagles.

In History of the Eagles Glenn wryly commented that in 1980, the Eagles went out with a whimper. I think, if they do continue without Glenn, they will go out with a hollow-chested heave.

I hate the idea of such an inglorious final chapter for this band's history.

Again, I'm still clinging to my hope that they aren't going to bill themselves as the "Eagles"; I have no problem with this if they are simply performing together, and it appears many agree.

thelastresort
03-15-2017, 07:44 PM
I too have no problem with Don H., Joe and Timothy performing together as many times as they see fit, so long as it isn't billed as the Eagles and it isn't essentially an Eagles gig minus Glenn's input (e.g. say 1/4 Don solo, 1/4 Joe solo, 1/4 TBS solo and 1/4 select Eagles works). For me it is an inescapable face that No Glenn = No Eagles, especially since what causes his absence is his passing.

As for Felder returning, Henley couldn't even say his forename on HOTE. I doubt he'll be welcomed back with open arms despite the events in the intervening years.

And as for what someone said before about Don H's tributes to Glenn during his solo shows being half-arsed, I disagree. Don I don't think is the natural warm and playful orator onstage someone like Glenn was, he's always struck me as rather quiet and blunt whenever he speaks before songs, much like a lawyer or something (that's not a bad thing btw!); and that probably is what makes it come across as a token move whenever he dedicated Desperado to Glenn. I do not doubt for a second every time he has to say that it hurts him. It's the exact symbol of where their 40 year on-off friendship started. It's pretty much synonymous of the Henley-Frey partnership.

MaryCalifornia
03-15-2017, 10:35 PM
I was listening to Sirius Classic Vinyl about 30 minutes ago. They played AG, and then after, the DJ talked about the East and West Coast shows. She said that rumor is Vince Gill will appear (whatever) but what was more interesting was when she said official statements would be out from the Eagles by the end of March. So specific, I wonder if Irving has been reading this board and put that message out. (I mean, not him personally but, you know...)

Witchy Woman
03-16-2017, 12:40 AM
Joe Walsh was interviewed on The Craig Ferguson Show on Sirius/XM and was asked about the shows. He said that Don, Timothy, and he were talking about it and will call themselves Eagles Family And Friends. That sounds far better to me then what was being bandied about. Now, to see who the friends are.

Dawn
03-16-2017, 01:17 AM
Joe Walsh was interviewed on The Craig Ferguson Show on Sirius/XM and was asked about the shows. He said that Don, Timothy, and he were talking about it and will call themselves Eagles Family And Friends. That sounds far better to me then what was being bandied about. Now, to see who the friends are.

Thanks for the info! I'm still contemplating the name but it seems to be a good compromise and certainly suggests we could very well be seeing Deacon Frey and other family members joining the band as well as friends Jackson Browne, Bob Seger, Vince Gill, etc. making guest appearances.

Annoying Twit
03-16-2017, 01:51 AM

Is this available online?

WalshFan88
03-16-2017, 02:31 AM
There is no way Don Felder will be back, as much as I would have liked him to before Glenn's death. That is a given. If he did, I'd think it'd be poor form on the part of the guys, and thats coming from someone who wished it was different but it would be totally going against Glenn's beliefs and desires.

UndertheWire
03-16-2017, 04:33 AM
It's the kind of name that's so obvious that I'm kicking myself that I didn't think of it. It's got "Eagles", it's warm and fuzzy to offset the cold commericalisation, it's inclusive. Instead of "replacing" Glenn, they can bring in a number of people on whose lives he had an impact. I could even see them bringing Randy on stage for the finale encore so he gets to bask in the applause without the stresses of being a featured performer.

Annoying Twit
03-16-2017, 05:01 AM
I'm still looking for just a bit more confirmation, but with something from Joe this is now on much firmer ground.

In my opinion 'Eagles Family and Friends' is a very nice way of having 'Eagles' in a way but also acknowledging Glenn.

Funk 50
03-16-2017, 06:26 AM
I was listening to Sirius Classic Vinyl about 30 minutes ago. They played AG, and then after, the DJ talked about the East and West Coast shows. She said that rumor is Vince Gill will appear (whatever) but what was more interesting was when she said official statements would be out from the Eagles by the end of March. So specific, I wonder if Irving has been reading this board and put that message out. (I mean, not him personally but, you know...)

I'm sure Irving will love all the speculation. As long as everything is confirmed before the tickets go on sale, it's good publicity.

Originally Posted by Witchy Woman

I'm not worried about the "friends", it's the "family" I'm baulking at. They've all got kids who have musical aspirations.

Originally Posted by UndertheWire It's the kind of name that's so obvious that I'm kicking myself that I didn't think of it. It's got "Eagles", it's warm and fuzzy to offset the cold commericalisation, it's inclusive. Instead of "replacing" Glenn, they can bring in a number of people on whose lives he had an impact. I could even see them bringing Randy on stage for the finale encore so he gets to bask in the applause without the stresses of being a featured performer.

Are the post Glenn, Eagles going to be "warm and fuzzy"? I kinda liked the cold commercialism, having said that, it's a great idea about Meisner.

Thanks for sharing the Walsh words Witchy Woman. :-) Which song did Joe play?

Dawn
03-16-2017, 08:05 AM
I'm still troubled that in the 14 months since Glenn's passing it would have been nice if the remaining members, family and friends planned a benefit tribute concert in honor of Glenn Frey with a percentage of profits going to a favorite charity of his or perhaps to help fund a scholarship at New York University's Steinhardt Department of Music where Glenn taught a songwriting class.

Instead it appears the focus is on reuniting to seemingly capitalize on co-headlining the bicoastal version of last year's hugely financially profitable concert in the desert. This may sound harsh and even unfair but clearly discussions and negotiations had to originate months ago.

While I have no doubt careful thought and consideration is going into how to honor Glenn during the performance it's hard to shake off the feeling that it could and maybe even should have been different.

I'm a newbie here at The Border but a long time Eagles fan. I was somewhat disappointed with the Grammy tribute to Glenn but at least it happened and hearts were in the right place. In the interim following Glenn's passing and the Grammys I've followed the solo careers of Don, Timothy and Joe who are blessed to continue doing what they love so well.

For me, Glenn Frey was an integral irreplaceable part of the Eagles and all the speculation and hype about who should fill in for him on a short two city tour expected to generate millions along with the lucrative secondary market of boxed sets of CDs and DVDs, band merchandise, etc weighed heavily on my mind creating feelings of skepticism and distrust. Someone used the term shoddy to describe the way the return of the Eagles has been handled and I think that's the perfect description.

in any case, at the end of the day I'm just one fan who won't be buying a ticket or the tee shirt. I'm not boycotting or resisting the enevitable I simply don't have any interest or desire. I'm also so not a festival girl I much prefer the smaller unique venues.

To all those who want to go to the shows I hope you can go and wish you a safe, fun and memorable experience.

One final note, Glenn Frey may be gone but he leaves behind a substantial and rich body of work as an Eagle and on his own that fans can listen to and enjoy any time and any place. That's a beautiful tribute in and of itself.

chaim
03-16-2017, 08:22 AM
I didn't take the "family" in "Eagles family and friends" literally. Maybe they mean it literally. I read the first part as "Eagles family" and thought it means the members of the band and perhaps ex-members and those VERY close to the band - like Bob Seger. And the "friends" part could be anyone else. Anyway, that's just how I understood it when I first saw it.

thelastresort
03-16-2017, 09:10 AM
Indeed, I'd take the term to cover both those close to the band such as Randy, Bernie, Jackson and J.D., and their wider peers such as Poco, Bob Seger, even someone like Joe Vitale; if you like the 70s SoCal 'family'.

GlennLover
03-16-2017, 09:11 AM
I didn't take the "family" in "Eagles family and friends" literally. Maybe they mean it literally. I read the first part as "Eagles family" and thought it means the members of the band and perhaps ex-members and those VERY close to the band - like Bob Seger. And the "friends" part could be anyone else. Anyway, that's just how I understood it when I first saw it.

Chaim, I was about to post the very same thing! Those were my exact thoughts as I was reading the post about what Joe said. Great minds.

buffyfan145
03-16-2017, 10:29 AM
That actually does sound so much better and glad Joe said more about it. I too like the idea of having others like Bob, Jackson, JD, Vince, and others join them for these shows as well as Bernie or if Randy could. It also makes me wonder if Stevie will too since she'll be there the next night with Fleetwood Mac.

UndertheWire
03-16-2017, 10:29 AM
My interpretation of "family" was Deacon Frey as that would fit with Don's earlier comment.

sodascouts
03-16-2017, 10:57 AM
If what Joe says is accurate, and I believe it most probably is, then I'm much relieved. I see Dawn's point, but I'm just happy they're not going to try to replace Glenn and call themselves the Eagles.

This also makes me much more likely to go, especially since the Mac will also be there.

Delilah
03-16-2017, 11:10 AM
My interpretation of "family" was Deacon Frey as that would fit with Don's earlier comment.

That's what I was thinking too--perhaps Ringo as well or maybe some of Don Felder's kin, like Kanye. Heh heh, jk.

If no actual relatives are involved then why not just use the more streamlined moniker "Eagles and Friends"? It's been pointed out before that the Eagles are not a sentimental band. They are too businesslike and professional to extend the term "family" to include Bob Seger, J.D. etc. it would seem to me.

UndertheWire
03-16-2017, 01:36 PM
On other occasions, I've wondered whether a charity receives more money from a special benefit or from receiving a share of the profits of a regular show. The cost of putting on a benefit must be quite high even if the artists are providing their services free of charge so it's possible the proceeds might be quite small. I'm also guessing that the charity named in the benefit might want to see all the accounts for the event because of the frequency of scandals associated with benefits. In comparison, a donation from profits would be simpler and cleaner.

There must also be economies in performing as part of a festival rather than a single show - shared advertising, ticketing, the costs of turning a sports stadium into a music venue and back again - as well as potentially a bigger audience.

Of course, the band is within its rights to just do this for their own profit, but they have a history of "quiet giving".

FreyFollower
03-16-2017, 06:17 PM
UTW, I'm sure you are right about direct donations often being more profitable for a charity than benefits. I have seen costs of fund raisers actually leave a deficit when all is tallied.
On the "Family and Friends" topic---I don't see a problem with actual family being included in the stage band or even featured briefly. I would enjoy seeing them, and it would make it seem more like a special event. It's only two shows. The guys have good taste---I don't think it would be gratuitous or cheesy.
Any of their friends would be fine with me as long as they didn't take up too much of the show. Mostly I am glad they are not billing as simply Eagles.

Dawn
03-16-2017, 07:01 PM
There are individuals and entities who can and do underwrite benefits all the time. How the Eagles choose to honor Glenn is their call and I'm not suggesting they have no right to do as they please.

Freypower
03-16-2017, 07:58 PM
Dawn, I have agreed with pretty much everything you have posted.

If this is supposed to be a tribute how can it be when I would guess a large proportion of the audience won't even be there specifically to see it? It will just wash past. No community, no sense of loss, no real acknowlegement of Glenn's legacy.

I see that people are now coming around to it as it may not be billed as 'Eagles' but to me the venue & the occasion appear entirely inappropriate. They may prove me wrong; who knows. What they do is up to them.

Dawn
03-17-2017, 04:10 PM
Thanks FP, your post is much appreciated and I think your point well taken.

From my perspective, the simple truth is the East/West Classics festival is happening with the Eagles and FM headlining because of Azoff and other industry heavy hitters who have the financial resources, concert promotion experience and many other connections neccessary to support an event of this magnitude. This is a business and frankly there will be a lot of invoices to pay. The Talent budget alone must be through the roof.

Second, the location and size of the venues selected are clearly intended to accommodate many thousands of people from all age groups but in particular baby boomers who like last year's Desert Trip festival where according to Forbes the average age of stage acts was 72 are major consumers likely to spend the big bucks on high priced seating, VIP packages, meet and greets, etc.

I haven't given a lot of thought to how a tribute to honor Glenn Frey at this event and other concerts down the road might be structured but in light of JW's statement it would seem The Eagles Family would include the remaining members and persons related to them and the late Glenn Frey. Friends would be performers with special ties to the band both long and short term but I'm only guessing. Bob, Jackson and others may be considered family.

Paul McCartney and opening act Neil Young joined together for a medley of Beatles songs and performed a tribute to John Lennon at the Desert Trip festival. I'm thinking something along those lines with Eagles Family and Friends but really who knows in this technically advanced era there are many options.

All I know for certain is I won't be going the time to honor Glenn with a special concert in a venue I would find more condusive to celebrating his extraordinary career and legacy has come and gone. The Hollywood Bowl would have been a good choice or another amphitheater under the stars ... wow can't even imagine how beautiful that would be with Glenn's songs from his solo albums along with Eagles classics. Maybe that will happen in the future but really it's late in the day ... Feels strange already. I'm over it.

Dawn

PS The costs involved for putting on a benefit tribute concert or even an annual golf tournament could have been absorbed by benefacors and sponsors along with a customary percentage of ticket sales/entry fees.

New Kid In Town
03-17-2017, 05:35 PM
Hi all. I have very mixed feelings about this, especially after Don spent the last year(as late as Dec. during the KCH) denying the guys would ever play together. I know people make statements they say in grief but Don was so firm about not doing something like this. I just feel if they wanted to honor Glenn, they could have done it in another way.

IMHO Citi field is not really the best place to hold such a festival. It only holds around 45,000 people. Met Life Stadium(Giants Stadium) holds 80,000 people and has train and the NJ Turnpike to hold the traffic. Citi Field requires train/bus to the subway if you do not drive. This whole thing just sounds money driven to me.

Question: Just saw an interview the other day where Don said he had been "estranged" from Glenn the last few years. Hah, what do you all make of this
Tina

MaryCalifornia
03-17-2017, 06:09 PM
Hi Tina, I think by "estranged" he meant that they literally never speak to each other unless they are on stage performing or doing a required promotional activity. Like Mick and Keith. I don't think it means they disliked each other, but they were not close outside of work, to the extent that they probably did not directly communicate at all.

I don't think they are doing these shows to honor Glenn, I think they're just doing them.

Freypower
03-17-2017, 06:54 PM
Hi Tina, I think by "estranged" he meant that they literally never speak to each other unless they are on stage performing or doing a required promotional activity. Like Mick and Keith. I don't think it means they disliked each other, but they were not close outside of work, to the extent that they probably did not directly communicate at all.

I don't think they are doing these shows to honor Glenn, I think they're just doing them.

If that's the case, in my honest opinion, that makes it even worse. They just can't be bothered honouring Glenn. They have had a year to do so and they haven't.

If we are going to bring up the stuff about Don & Glenn only communicating when they were working that is not an excuse to just continue on as if Glenn never existed.

Glenn's fans deserved something, I thought. Some sort of DVD tribute like Concert for George. Not this huge heap of absolutely nothing. Thank goodness for Seger & Tempchin who at least made an effort.

MaryCalifornia
03-17-2017, 07:18 PM
FP, I wasn't trying to link these two different topics to each other or imply that lack of a proper tribute is due to communication issues between the guys. I don't think these two topics have anything to do with each other - was not trying to say the one is an excuse for the other. Was just addressing two things in the prior post in different paragraphs.

New Kid In Town
03-17-2017, 09:58 PM
Thank You Mary Calif. JMHO, but sounds like Don and Glenn just had a "working relationship" and had not been friends for years. Tim did not have many nice things to say about Glenn in that last interview posted on the board. Makes me wonder any of them were friends or just "business partners". In that interview with the Washington Post for the KCH, JB stated he had been estranged from Glenn for years too. I know that the Henley/Frey relationship has been complicated for years, but friends ? Maybe not so much.

FP, I also hope they do some kind of memorial concert to honor Glenn. Two huge stadium concerts billed as "Eagles Family And Friends" do not fit that bill for me. This just sounds like a money grab for all involved.

thelastresort
03-18-2017, 04:32 AM
I thought it was quite well-known that the Eagles weren't all best friends, as I suspect is the same for many bands. It was a different case back in the early 1970s but since Hell Freezes Over I can very well imagine they just treated each other in the same way the rest of us treat work colleagues. I believe it was the case that Henley didn't partake in any post-show meals etc near the end.

Funk 50
03-18-2017, 07:34 AM
I remember Bernie's "no Christmas cards" anecdote. They were work colleagues from the very start, despite Felder's claims that they became business associates after they got rich. Wasn't it David Geffen who advised Glenn that he needed a band? Credit to Glenn that he got the best band.

I've no problem with the rest of the band treating Glenn like a work colleague or worse still, their boss but it looks like the performance with Jackson Browne and the Kennedy Center Honors appearance hasn't provided the closure required. A major public tribute concert surely would.

A multi band festival isn't an adequate context for a Frey tribute imo but they are facing accusations of snubbing Glenn. if they don't acknowledge his passing.

I just want them to put on the best show possible, I struggle with the concept that adding, family and friends will add to the spectacle rather than weaken it. The quality of the show will reflect directly on the band not the people they share the stage with.

I'm hoping that when they get together to rehearse , the old tensions, kick back in and we get a level of performance that's worthy of The Eagles as well as Eagles, Family and Friends.

Do you think the band will do any low key secret gigs in preparation for these monster gigs? I've just realized that these will be the biggest concerts that the Eagles have ever done!

UndertheWire
03-18-2017, 10:06 AM
I've a feeling that whatever they do it will never be satisfactory and that's just because nothing can bring Glenn back. They will do whatever feels right to them. If this one works, maybe they'll do a real tribute or maybe they won't.

Reading some of the comments yesterday, I realised that what I want is a tribute to Glenn in which his solo work is covered, not just the Eagles, and that seems unlikely.

buffyfan145
03-18-2017, 10:51 AM
In a roundabout way I'm pretty sure Stevie Nicks confirmed her and Fleetwood Mac's participation in this last night at her concert I was at. She talked about the articles recently how she isn't recording with them but said they're not breaking up and will be doing shows very soon. She also brought up about reuniting with some old friends at Tom Petty's Musicares event, where we know Don and Joe were also at as well, so I feel she was starting to tease this event.

I also hope and think they will do some sort of tribute to Glenn as well with this. I too wish it would've been a full tribute concert just about him. However, I've gotten more ok with these shows and am looking forward to getting official confirmation of what exactly is going on.

Delilah
03-18-2017, 02:22 PM
I remember Bernie's "no Christmas cards" anecdote. They were work colleagues from the very start, despite Felder's claims that they became business associates after they got rich. Wasn't it David Geffen who advised Glenn that he needed a band? Credit to Glenn that he got the best band.

Yet Glenn and Don H were housemates and worked closely together writing songs. They hung out at Dan Tana's and played poker with the other Eagles. They all partied together at the 3rd Encore. Didn't they all live together while recording in London? I recall seeing a photo of Randy and his wife in Japan with Glenn, where it looked like they were sight-seeing while on tour. Despite not being best buddies and all the fighting, clearly there was a level of camaraderie/closeness among them in the 70s that didn't seem to be there during HFO and after. You can see it in their performances, especially the early ones.

As far as the comments about performing a tribute at a classic rock music festival, it may not be the ideal event for one, but I believe it as likely as not that this summer will be the last time they perform together as a band. This may be their only/best chance to give some sort of public recognition of Glenn.

Dawn
03-18-2017, 03:19 PM
I want to thank everyone for sharing their thoughts and feelings regarding this most "suspicious occasion" ->> East/West Festival (Just a little levity from 1998 Hall of Fame Don Henley's acceptance speech). :shrug:

All things considered I have no doubt the band will stage and perform a tribute to Glenn Frey. It's definitely NOT the ideal venue nor frankly even appropriate but there it is ... all that remains is for Azoff et al to put their PR team to work on a formal statement to appease disgruntled fans and temper the appearance of greed and/or desperation (Don's terminology).

What really troubles me is the rank speculation and hype. From Day 1 its been a public relations fiasco. I put the blame squarely on Azoff's shoulders not Henley or Timothy or Joe. Certainly not the Frey family or any other family and friends.

There is nothing I can say or do but take comfort in knowing how other fans feel. I've already explained why I personally can't/won't support the event. I don't begrudge others for feeling differently or disagreeing with the hard line I've drawn. Glenn Frey is gone. What he would or would not have wanted for the band's legacy, the remaining members, his family, friends, himself, we can not know only speculate. In the end I'm just a fan. We all are. Glenn was not indifferent to his fans he was appreciative and worked hard at maintaining even exceeding his own expectations for high standards and quality.

Maybe there will be a special tribute concert I still feel it's awfully late in the day but I'd still be happy to see Glenn honored in a venue like NYC's historic Beacon Theater, The Hollywood Bowl. There are so many options other than a super-sized 6-band bicoastal mega festival. Heck, I'd love to see a full orchestra with special guests male and female performing Glenn's solo songs and music arrangements in addition to his Eagles work. Unlikely as that probably is I think it would be awesome!

Topkat
03-18-2017, 05:34 PM
Hi all. I have very mixed feelings about this, especially after Don spent the last year(as late as Dec. during the KCH) denying the guys would ever play together. I know people make statements they say in grief but Don was so firm about not doing something like this. I just feel if they wanted to honor Glenn, they could have done it in another way.

IMHO Citi field is not really the best place to hold such a festival. It only holds around 45,000 people. Met Life Stadium(Giants Stadium) holds 80,000 people and has train and the NJ Turnpike to hold the traffic. Citi Field requires train/bus to the subway if you do not drive. This whole thing just sounds money driven to me.

Question: Just saw an interview the other day where Don said he had been "estranged" from Glenn the last few years. Hah, what do you all make of this
Tina

Why Is Giants stadium a better place? NO Citi Field is perfect; large enough but not overwhelming. I personally Hate Giants stadium. I went there once & never again. Took 2 hours to just get out of the parking lot. Citi Field is new & convenient. You can drive, or take a train there. It's your choice.

I think people seem to be angry that that this is NOT really a tribute to Glenn... It's a one off, or say.. a two off of shows. It's named East & West Classic. I am hoping maybe they may still add a few more bands. Perhaps another time & place would be more appropriate for a Glenn tribute, but this is not it, as other bands are involved, not just the Eagles!

Now, the last thing I read is that Randy, Bernie & Don Felder will be participating in these shows? Has anyone else heard this news?? It may just be a rumor, but I did read this.... I say it's about time to bury the bitterness, One thing Glenn taught us, is that life is short. I would personally love to see them play together again...

New Kid In Town
03-18-2017, 06:09 PM
I read on one of the Eagles FB fan pages that quoted I believe Classic Rock Magazine indicating Bernie, Don F. and Randy would be included in the show. However, none of this has been confirmed by anyone. I thought Randy was not well enough to perform due to numerous health problems. I had read somewhere(maybe here) that Randy's vocal chords were damaged as a result of the chocking accident a few years ago. I can not see Don F. included. If he was not included in the KCH then I can't see him being included in this. Just my two cents, which accounts for nothing.

TK - I like Met Life Stadium. I do not think it is any easier getting out of Citi Field if you drive. However, it is smaller and perhaps more intimate setting than Giants Stadium. That kind of setting seems like a strange way to honor Glenn.

Funk 50
03-19-2017, 08:05 AM
I've been pondering on the possibility of the Eagles (F&F) having some female musicians on stage with them. Don, Joe and Tim all play live with female backing singers nowadays.

Watching this clip of Mike And The Mechanics doing a wonderful live version of Bill Wither's Lovely Day last week, I'll definitely rule out the possibility of Jenifer Hudson being among the Family and Friends :D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular#p04x59l8

Freypower
03-19-2017, 05:52 PM
I've been pondering on the possibility of the Eagles (F&F) having some female musicians on stage with them. Don, Joe and Tim all play live with female backing singers nowadays.

Watching this clip of Mike And The Mechanics doing a wonderful live version of Bill Wither's Lovely Day last week, I'll definitely rule out the possibility of Jenifer Hudson being among the Family and Friends :D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular#p04x59l8

Like they don't already have enough backing singers if they use the old backing band.

This just emphasises the massive gap that will exist without Glenn's voice.

BillBailey1976
03-20-2017, 08:48 AM
Personally, I am excited. I hope this gets those juices flowing again, and they realize they WANT to play together, and NEED to play together. I would love to see a full scale tour, mixing Eagles, and solo stuff, sort of like the HFO set list, with heavy Don and Joe solo stuff.
This might even get the buzz up enough to see a HOTE Live Concert DVD finally!!!!

Topkat
03-20-2017, 12:26 PM
Like they don't already have enough backing singers if they use the old backing band.

This just emphasises the massive gap that will exist without Glenn's voice.

I don't think they need female back up singers. When they do a solo show they need some back up harmonies, The Eagles do their own harmonies, they don't need the female backup singers. The Stones do that because they are lacking in the vocal department, the Eagles aren't. They have full back up band, they don't need anything more than that.

I also think that maybe some of the other band members can sing some of Glenn's leads. I'm not thrilled with anyone replacing Glenn. Anyone they bring up just doesn't seem suitable. Don't really want some famous country singer stepping into this to sing Glenns songs. Don, Timothy & Joe can all sing. Not the same as Glenn's voice but it would still be a band member.

NightMistBlue
03-20-2017, 02:35 PM

Joe has confirmed it's happening then?! Wow. The longer it's gone without an official statement, I felt like it couldn't be true. Oh my.

Freypower
03-20-2017, 07:11 PM
I don't think they need female back up singers. When they do a solo show they need some back up harmonies, The Eagles do their own harmonies, they don't need the female backup singers. The Stones do that because they are lacking in the vocal department, the Eagles aren't. They have full back up band, they don't need anything more than that.

I also think that maybe some of the other band members can sing some of Glenn's leads. I'm not thrilled with anyone replacing Glenn. Anyone they bring up just doesn't seem suitable. Don't really want some famous country singer stepping into this to sing Glenns songs. Don, Timothy & Joe can all sing. Not the same as Glenn's voice but it would still be a band member.

Without going off topic the Stones have precisely two backing singers, Bernard Fowler & Lisa Fischer, and Fischer is there mainly for Gimme Shelter.

Whatever happens I will struggle to have even the most rudimentary interest in it.

As for the comment above about WANTING & NEEDING to play together I cannot understand why they wish to do this without Glenn Frey.

Philh
03-21-2017, 06:35 AM
The music publication NME here in the U.K. say the Eagles are one of the acts rumoured to be playing the Legends slot at this year's Glastonbury festival.
Wishful thinking I'm assuming!

http://www.nme.com/news/music/diana-ross-now-unlikely-play-legends-slot-glastonbury-2017-2024074?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

Philh
03-21-2017, 06:51 AM
Pollstar have now removed their listing for the Classic East and West festivals. Hopefully just waiting for the official announcement.

UndertheWire
03-21-2017, 07:35 AM
The music publication NME here in the U.K. say the Eagles are one of the acts rumoured to be playing the Legends slot at this year's Glastonbury festival.
Wishful thinking I'm assuming!

http://www.nme.com/news/music/diana-ross-now-unlikely-play-legends-slot-glastonbury-2017-2024074?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

Given that Henley will only just have finished a solo tour (June 18th), I can't see him being ready for an Eagles concert on a different continent a few days later.

Funk 50
03-21-2017, 09:54 AM
As for the comment above about WANTING & NEEDING to play together I cannot understand why they wish to do this without Glenn Frey.

Anyone who's had a solo career appreciates the chance to play without being the boss, calling all the shots and carrying all the responsibility.

The Eagles, including their entourage will be a huge team. As I see it, most of them will defer to the musicians the musicians will defer to the band members. Joe and Tim defer to Glenn and Don. Don deferred to Glenn. Somewhere, Irving's devilish powers of persuasion carry a hefty clout too.

The wonderful thing about being in the Eagles is that the collective is more rewarding than the solo stuff. It's the music business at the very top of the tree. It's what they've been used to for decades.

There are thousands and thousands of musicians who aspire to thrive in the music business. From all those, I bet you could count on your fingers and toes those who would refuse a chance to be on stage as the Eagles. Even Bernie and Randy who actually did chuck it in, in the seventies, have had second thoughts. Despite all the friction and negativity, and suing the band in court, I'm sure Felder would jump at the opportunity too.

It's not why they wish to, it's, presented with the chance by Irving, it's why wouldn't they.

Annoying Twit
03-21-2017, 10:01 AM
There are thousands and thousands of musicians who aspire to thrive in the music business. From all those, I bet you could count on your fingers and toes those who would refuse a chance to be on stage as the Eagles.

First, I don't think we're talking about the Eagles, but Eagles Family & Friends which is a different entity. In my eyes at least.

I do agree that there are lots of reasons why they would want to play together again.

BTW: I think that John Lydon would refuse a chance to be on stage as the Eagles. :)

Funk 50
03-21-2017, 11:12 AM
I know you took some convincing to acknowledge that these gigs were actually going to take place AT. I'll believe the billing when I see the posters.

It'll be;
The Eagles
+ Family And Friends

wont it :shrug:

UndertheWire
03-21-2017, 11:22 AM
I know you took some convincing to acknowledge that these gigs were actually going to take place AT. I'll believe the billing when I see the posters.

It'll be;
The Eagles
+ Family And Friends

wont it :shrug:

That would be:
Eagles
+ Family And Friends

Brooke
03-21-2017, 12:30 PM
Well, I'm way behind here. Too much life going on for me, but I really wish they wouldn't do this. It looks inevitable though. I could accept it if it's only the two big shows on the E & W coast. That will be a huge thing with all the other bands performing. They probably ok'd it with Cindy and the money will be huge for them. I'm sure they just can't turn down the money. I would never go to such a thing, way too much chaos for me.

As for them touring again as the Eagles or even with Family and Friends, no. Glenn is gone and the band is no more. Don said so, Irving said so, JD said so. I don't care how they describe themselves. I will never go see the Eagles without Glenn. He was too big a part. This all just makes me sad that they have forgotten him already. I don't think there will be a proper fan tribute to him now. Too much time has passed.

sodascouts
03-21-2017, 04:51 PM
I keep going back and forth.

One minute I'm all "They're not billing themselves as the Eagles; maybe they'll do some kind of tribute to Glenn; Fleetwood Mac is playing" and it all sounds OK. You can't blame them for wanting to play together again, especially when you consider the amount of money they'll be making. They probably miss playing for huge crowds, too. I can only imagine what it feels like to have that much mass adulation directed at you. The lifestyle they had become accustomed to - the massive amounts of money pouring in, the private planes jetting them around the world, the adoring crowds filling arenas, etc. - it was all snatched away from them when Glenn was taken. Presumably they had the sense to lay aside some of their earnings for the inevitable day when they Eagles would end, and they can still make money on their own... but not nearly as much as they can doing an "Eagles Family and Friends" arrangement. Plus, the more money they make, the more money Azoff and all of the other people riding the Eagles gravy train can make. Sure, they can get jobs elsewhere, but will those jobs be as lucrative? You can bet they're putting pressure on the guys to keep the money rolling in.

Then I try to imagine what it would be like seeing them without Glenn and with guest performers "filling in".... and I feel a little sick inside. Unless it's a tribute, it will be such a pale shadow of the real Eagles... and can it really be a tribute in such a setting, especially since it's being done multiple times? It's certainly not being billed as such. Seeing them like that would feel like losing Glenn all over again, in a way. It would physically hurt.

I guess we'll see. Like I said, I keep going back and forth. I'm still undecided about whether I'm going to go, but I won't call it disrespectful if they are recognizing it's not the Eagles without Glenn.

Dawn
03-21-2017, 05:18 PM
The sad thing is no one knows just how irreplaceable Glenn Frey is to the Eagles then the three remaining Eagles themselves. Of course Azoff also knows but simple truth is this wouldn't be happening without Azoff . He is the man with the plan now expected to make bazillions from the bicoastal version of last year's hugely profitable Desert Trip Festival.

Fleetwood Mac, EFF, are headlining so we could presume they'd be paid more ala Paul McCartney and Roger Waters who are believed to have been paid $20 million each with $14 million estimated to have been paid to each of the remaining 4 bands at 2016 DTF. Edited to add seems The Stones earnings would be in McCartney and Waters (Pink Floyd) range????

Of course actual numbers would vary plus or minus. I don't know if that info is available online though. Be interesting to know the real deal.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bradauerbach/2016/10/10/desert-trip-part-two-here-is-the-list-of-next-years-lineup/#38545e537ec3

UndertheWire
03-22-2017, 05:58 AM
Thank you for the Forbes link. An earlier article (possibly The Sun) suggested the payout would be around £4m ($5m) and I thought that seemed rather low. With Glenn, they were supposedly able to charge up to $2m for a private show and it's been said many times that they were offered $1m for the US festival in the 80s. I couldn't see that $5m for two shows would be enough to tempt them.

My feeling is that they can go ahead if they want but I won't see them and it's not the Eagles. What makes me cringe is that my reaction is very close to what I've seen from Felder fans about the band from 2000 onwards.

Funk 50
03-22-2017, 08:14 AM
That would be:
Eagles
+ Family And Friends

Many thanks for the correction UndertheWire. I wasn't sure about the "+" but completely overlooked the more obvious and blatant error :blush:.

I don't know how much the band will miss Glenn but I know that they will. In my opinion, The Henley, Frey, Meisner harmonies were peerless. Henley, Frey, Schmit, outstanding. Henley, Schmit... nothing special.

I'm hoping JD's involved because, as well as being a major Eagles songwriter, who regularly performs a number of their tracks live, his harmony vocals are Eagle-esque, plus his inclusion increases the chances of Joe's Last Good Time In Town making the live set list. :-)

I think I've heard that the hope is to make the Classic East / West shows an annual event. Whether this year's shows are a success or not, I hope Eagles, Family And Friends, or however they're billed, are back in 2018, particularly if they spend the intervening period working (or playing) separately. :rockon:

thelastresort
03-22-2017, 09:25 AM
... plus his inclusion increases the chances of Joe's Last Good Time In Town making the live set list. :-)

This alone should be the reason they don't reunite!

Brooke
03-22-2017, 09:37 AM
This alone should be the reason they don't reunite!

:rofl:

If they weren't very "close" as far as being real friends during the last few years of big time touring, wouldn't you think that they would rather just hang it up and do their own thing? I guess this kind of money can make you do just about anything. But, they are multi-millionaires! Do you never get enough?

maryc2130
03-22-2017, 12:39 PM
I could be very wrong, but I don't think it's all about money. First of all, I doubt that they need the money, and these days, they probably have the luxury of not making career decisions based solely on financial concerns.

Secondly, Don, Joe and Tim may not be close personally, but they seem to enjoy playing together. I think Joe in particular is very invested emotionally in the Eagles. He had to get sober to play with the Eagles, not a small task, and he did. I think it's a big part of who he is right now. Of the three, I can see Timothy wanting to remain with the group because he would draw the smallest audience solo. (This is not a knock on Tim; I love his music, but it's just reality.) The biggest question in my mind was whether Don would want to do something like this, as he seems really happy performing his solo shows, but apparently he is also vested in the group, at least somewhat.

Also, as I said before, I think they feel some responsibility toward the people they employ. And by this, I don't mean Irving, although I'm sure he's the #1 person pushing them to do this.

This is, of course, just my 2 cents, and I could be completely wrong. Let's face it, we are all just guessing here, and none of us really knows (or most likely will ever know) their true motives. I do think it's fair to say that it's a mixture of many factors that's made them decide to do this. I, for one, am glad they're doing it, and hope there will be other shows.

No, it won't be the Eagles (thankfully!), and yes, I'll miss Glenn, but I love these guys, and I'm happy that they'll be playing together again.

Freypower
03-22-2017, 05:37 PM
At the risk of repeating myself I find the idea of them doing this & then continuing, grotesque in the extreme. UTW, I note what you said about the Felder parallel. Perhaps I'm the same. But that was a lineup change. THIS... this is something else entirely.

Funk 50
03-23-2017, 05:46 AM
If you discount Hell Freezes Over as a live album, Eagles have changed line-ups every album since 1973's Desperado.

The difference between Felder and Frey's exits are that Don's was intentional, for which Glenn shouldered the blame, Glenn's was unintentional. nobody can be held responsible. In both cases the validity of the remaining band is questioned by their most loyal disciples.

Hindsight suggests that the band will continue to attract new fans as long as they keep going.

Dawn
03-23-2017, 12:04 PM
Azoff is the deal maker and made Don, Joe and Timothy and offer they could not refuse. Yes it may not all be about money but its naive to think any of them would refuse to reunite not just forfeiting millions for themselves but everyone else involved too. When will it end you ask? Eagles Family and Friends is a new brand. IMO this is just the beginning.

MaryCalifornia
03-23-2017, 12:15 PM
To answer someone's (Brooke's?) question - no, there is never enough money. Especially for men like these who have massive annual expenses due to multiple multi-million dollar residences, A-list lifestyles and support multiple generations of family members at a certain level of luxury.

The love and adulation from a big crowd is a heady drug that these guys have been ingesting since the late '60s. They need it. Just as bad now as they did back then. That feeling doesn't go away because they're 69 or 70. That's why they're doing it, more than the money. They need the attention and the ladies (and men) swooning over them, body guards, dressing rooms and rock 'n roll lifestyle. Now that their children are adults, touring is probably even more fun for the family now than it ever has been.

Dawn
03-23-2017, 02:15 PM
Has anyone stopped to consider there are now two Eagles brands? The original and the new Eagles Family and Friends. There will be huge profits from the DVD and CDs of the festival plus all the merchandise. This is no-small-one-time-endeavor-so what's-the-big-deal. it is a very big deal. EFF is a brand in and of itself.

Dawn
03-23-2017, 03:30 PM
If you discount Hell Freezes Over as a live album, Eagles have changed line-ups every album since 1973's Desperado.

The difference between Felder and Frey's exits are that Don's was intentional, for which Glenn shouldered the blame, Glenn's was unintentional. nobody can be held responsible. In both cases the validity of the remaining band is questioned by their most loyal disciples.

Hindsight suggests that the band will continue to attract new fans as long as they keep going.

Yes I think the most loyal fans are troubled by what appears to be a concentrated effort to reinvent the Eagles so they can keep going without Glenn Frey. Second, per Stevie Nicks there's no contest between making albums and touring. Touring is where the money is and it's fun.

Delilah
03-23-2017, 03:55 PM
Thank you for the Forbes link. An earlier article (possibly The Sun) suggested the payout would be around £4m ($5m) and I thought that seemed rather low. With Glenn, they were supposedly able to charge up to $2m for a private show and it's been said many times that they were offered $1m for the US festival in the 80s. I couldn't see that $5m for two shows would be enough to tempt them.

My feeling is that they can go ahead if they want but I won't see them and it's not the Eagles. What makes me cringe is that my reaction is very close to what I've seen from Felder fans about the band from 2000 onwards.

I wasn't going to say anything about it, but I wondered if anyone else noticed the parallels. Some of the concerns/sentiments that have been posted about Glenn e.g. that he's being forgotten, no longer matters, will be marginalized, etc. are quite similar to what's been expressed about the three former members over time. Of course, the circumstances are vastly different but I'm speaking about the reaction to what happens to a member's legacy when that member is no longer with the band. However, given his role and position in the band, I don't believe there's any way Glenn will be shrugged off the way the other three have been.

Freypower
03-23-2017, 06:14 PM
I wasn't going to say anything about it, but I wondered if anyone else noticed the parallels. Some of the concerns/sentiments that have been posted about Glenn e.g. that he's being forgotten, no longer matters, will be marginalized, etc. are quite similar to what's been expressed about the three former members over time. Of course, the circumstances are vastly different but I'm speaking about the reaction to what happens to a member's legacy when that member is no longer with the band. However, given his role and position in the band, I don't believe there's any way Glenn will be shrugged off the way the other three have been.

I wish I could agree with you.

The best way to ensure he would not be forgotten would have been to call it quits or at least to make some effort to remember him.

I repeat that this is NOT just another lineup change. And frankly I find the apparent enthusiasm about this from some here tantamount to an admission that they don't think Glenn was of any importance.

I also cannot agree with the statement that this 'EFF' thing which hasn't even taken place yet has become a 'brand'. We only heard of it in the last week or two and it was just a suggestion by Joe of a name which might be used. I think we all know very well that if they were to continue they would revert to 'Eagles' no matter how wrong that would be in my view.

Not to mention the assumption that there will be DVDs & CDs, etc, when the real Eagles didn't bother with such things in their last few years, and now all of a sudden, they might do it? Ugh. Sorry.

Dawn
03-23-2017, 08:13 PM
FP, in terms of DVDs and other concert related items I am referring to post festival marketing and revenue. This is a 6 band event not just Eagles there could be pay for view and live streaming. The festival will have their own logo shirts, hats, cups etc I expect bands will too. As for the name change I think thats very possible if not likely. You make some good points I hope I am wrong time will tell. All I know is without Glenn there is no Eagles under any name.

sodascouts
03-25-2017, 02:38 PM
Don plays his last show of his Australia/New Zealand tour today. I wonder if, on his return to the States, we'll finally have an official statement?

GlennLover
03-26-2017, 12:37 AM
Don plays his last show of his Australia/New Zealand tour today. I wonder if, on his return to the States, we'll finally have an official statement?

I sure hope so!

UndertheWire
03-26-2017, 04:40 PM
Here's an apt quote from Ben Fong-Torres when he wrote about Glenn last year.

They were on "Farewell Tour 1" at the time, and Frey told the audience, "It's a clever ploy by our management. He's plotting 'Farewell VI' right now.'" Off stage, when I asked about that sixth "Farewell" run, he laughed. "I wonder who's going to be playing my part!"
I find it quite reassuring that Glenn was able to laugh about them continuing without him.