PDA

View Full Version : I Dreamed There Was No War

Ive always been a dreamer
01-05-2008, 03:44 PM
I know in our Survivor Game that this song was eliminated pretty quickly. We had some discussion about it in that thread, but I am interested in hearing a bit more about what people think of it. As for me, I am privileged to have heard this played live in Niagara Falls, so I realize that my opinion may be swayed by that. I was literally moved to tears as I watched Glenn play this the first night. Not many songs do that to me, but the intense expression on his face as he focused on playing it was amazing. I don't want to over-dramatize this, but it really was one of those moments where you sense the intimacy between an artist and his music. As I said previously, when an artist can communicate something so powerfully without lyrics, it makes it very special IMO. I love how the song follows the Long Road Out of Eden and I understand exactly why Glenn wanted to keep it short. He said it was "to allow the mind to rest" after LROOE. However, I generally always hit the repeat button so that it plays twice. I guess it must take a longer time for my mind to rest. :wink: :wink:

In any event, as you can probably tell, I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS SONG!!!

sodascouts
01-05-2008, 04:33 PM
I think it's amazing, and even better than his brief instrumentals on Strange Weather. The song is expressive of emotion even without the vocal, which as dreamer says, is something very special. I adore this song!

scottside
01-05-2008, 04:43 PM
This one is one of my favorites on the cd(s). The guitar playing is simple, but beautiful and very expressive. I was actually pleasantly surprised to find that Glenn had contributed a song like this to the project since no one else had anything to do with it at all. He really should go into motion picture scoring because he obviously has a knack for creating instrumental music. One other observation: the song reminds me of something Randy Newman might create in terms of melody line and orchestration.

sodascouts
01-06-2008, 12:15 AM
He's said more than once that he'd love to score movies, going back to when he did "Expedition Earth." I think if the opportunity arose he's jump on it. So - movie makers out there - call Glenn Frey, will ya?!

Freypower
01-06-2008, 05:51 PM
It's interesting that scottside compares with Randy Newman's soundtrack work. To me it sounds influenced by Mark Knopfler, which is extremely gratifying for me. I'm so glad he contributed it as it fits perfectly with everything the previous track has tried to convey.

timfan
01-06-2008, 06:05 PM
I know when I come to this song on the CD, I always remember Glenn playing it at Niagara Falls. I can still picture his face showing such intensity and so expressive. He was so involved in the music; it was like he and the guitar were one :)

It truly is an amazing piece of work.

glenneaglesfan
01-07-2008, 06:05 AM
I can't imagine how thrilling it must have been for you to see Glenn playing this live at Niagara. What a talented musician to play the guitar part.

I'd love him to write a movie score - the millenium soundtrack is a testimony to his skill as a composer.

Glennsallnighter
01-07-2008, 01:18 PM
I know when I come to this song on the CD, I always remember Glenn playing it at Niagara Falls. I can still picture his face showing such intensity and so expressive. He was so involved in the music; it was like he and the guitar were one :)

It truly is an amazing piece of work.

TF, you and the others who were at the Niagara Falls concerts were certainly priviledged to see Glenn :heart: perform it live. I'd say it took your breath (s) away. I think it is a gorgeous composition and never tire of listening to it. If he wrote a music score I'd definitely be at that movie! And not for the cast or the plot!

Mrs Frey
01-08-2008, 09:31 AM
It's interesting that scottside compares with Randy Newman's soundtrack work. To me it sounds influenced by Mark Knopfler, which is extremely gratifying for me. I'm so glad he contributed it as it fits perfectly with everything the previous track has tried to convey.

I too think this is a beautiful piece of music - very tranquil. FP, I quoted you as I agree with you about the piece sounding as though it could be influenced by Mark Knopfler. I don't know a lot of Mark's music, but I'm familiar with his style, and the similarity with Glenn's :heart: piece is apparent to me.

It must have been wonderful for all of you who saw Glenn :heart: play this live, and a few moments that I'm sure are etched in your memories forever. I can only dream of experiencing such moments.

JoeFan
01-09-2008, 06:12 AM
I think this is a lovely song, I quite like it. I have no objection to the Eagles including instrumental pieces, it is in the tradition of 'Journey of the Sorcerer,' except this is better. Joe often included instrumentals on his own albums, I wonder if he ever submitted any to the Eagles.

Ive always been a dreamer
02-08-2014, 07:28 PM
I am reviving this thread to recognize that today is the 5th year anniversary of I Dreamed There Was No War winning a Grammy for Best Pop Instrumental Performance - can't believe it's been 5 years already. As I stated earlier in this thread, I absolutely love the intense simplicity of the song, and think it was very deserving of this award. I hope Glenn considers this one of his crowning achievements as an Eagle.

CONGRATULATIONS I DREAMED THERE WAS NO WAR!!!

zeldabjr
02-08-2014, 07:36 PM
to me it's a masterpiece...

VAisForEagleLovers
02-08-2014, 07:46 PM
Yes, I listened to it earlier today. I'm not usually a fan of intrumentals, because they tend to try to make up for the lack of vocals by being overdone, too grandiose, too much of everything. This, like you said, Dreamer, is intensely simplistic. It does what music is supposed to do. Instead of concentrating on what makes up all the parts, you just feel it. It's a pleasure to listen to, and even without words, I picture something in my head when I listen to it. Today, I pictured walking on a beach, in the morning, when it was just me and God and some waves and sand. (i.e. no snow.)

sodascouts
02-08-2014, 08:46 PM
Agreed. It's quite powerful. Little wonder it won a Grammy.