PDA

View Full Version : Finally found the Audio to my Randy Meisner Interview

RockHistoryMusic
03-14-2017, 12:40 AM
In August of 2000 I had the pleasure of talking to former Eagles member Randy Meisner. I have the audio (at last) from that day and here is part one of our chat. Randy talks about joining Poco, leaving unsatisfied and hooking up with Linda Ronstadt and eventually forming the eagles with Don, Glenn and Bernie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQ0fOQN0nbA&spfreload=5

UndertheWire
03-14-2017, 04:29 AM
Thank you. I look forward to the further installments.

NightMistBlue
03-14-2017, 09:23 AM
Thank you, sir! I was just about to post a link to the YouTube here :) Thank you so much for sharing. I know you know how much we've been looking forward to this (I was the pesky gal who's emailed you about it for the last 2 years or so). :angel:

Can't thank you enough for digitizing this and sharing with RandyLovers everywhere.

Delilah
03-14-2017, 12:11 PM
In August of 2000 I had the pleasure of talking to former Eagles member Randy Meisner. I have the audio (at last) from that day and here is part one of our chat. Randy talks about joining Poco, leaving unsatisfied and hooking up with Linda Ronstadt and eventually forming the eagles with Don, Glenn and Bernie.

Thank you very much and welcome to the board! I'm so happy you found the tape. I like the video montage of the different album covers-- I've been trying to find info on Randy's work with The Millenium so it was cool to see that album cover as well as the Sandy Salisbury one.

BTW, there is a recent photo of Randy in the Meisner Mania photo thread. I don't know if you've seen it yet, but many fans see it as a good sign that he is doing better.

NightMistBlue
03-14-2017, 03:47 PM
This photo is from February 2017. The young buck on the right is James Bulger, a bass player in several L.A. bands.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d128/Shenandoah07/February2017_zps9xwyhfoo.jpg

NightMistBlue
04-13-2017, 12:45 PM
Part 2 is out! I don't know how to share a link with my phone.

Delilah
04-13-2017, 12:50 PM
I was just about to post when I saw yours, NMB! Here's Part 2--

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mlP7o6tGixw

Dawn
04-13-2017, 01:50 PM

Awesome interview!! Thanks for posting!

Delilah
04-13-2017, 02:12 PM
Awesome interview!! Thanks for posting! What's the talk on the street about who is replacing the irreplaceable Glenn Frey? I'm sorry - not being snarky - the Eagles should have more respect for their fans and just tell us who they added to the lineup IN ADVANCE to purchasing tickets. Fans aren't stupid. If they weren't replacing Glenn they'd just perform as themselves under a different name.

RockMusicHistory's post was a month ago. You may want to go to his YT video channel and post a question on the related video; you're more likely to get reply there, I would think.

This thread is supposed to be about Randy.

Dawn
04-13-2017, 03:35 PM
RockMusicHistory's post was a month ago. You may want to go to his YT video channel and post a question on the related video; you're more likely to get reply there, I would think.

This thread is supposed to be about Randy.

Sorry, Thanks will do!!! I did edit post but not much else I can do.

New Kid In Town
04-13-2017, 04:36 PM
Wow - Thank you for finding this interview ! What a sweet guy Randy is - feeding the deer while being interviewed. He had such a realistic and positive attitude upon reflection about his time in the Eagles. Talking about how young they all were and the stress and strain the constant touring took on all of them. I hope Randy is ok and has found some peace.

Delilah
04-14-2017, 12:45 PM
Dawn, no harm no foul. :smile:

Wow - Thank you for finding this interview ! What a sweet guy Randy is - feeding the deer while being interviewed. He had such a realistic and positive attitude upon reflection about his time in the Eagles. Talking about how young they all were and the stress and strain the constant touring took on all of them. I hope Randy is ok and has found some peace.

I absolutely agree.:thumbsup:

East Texas Girl
04-14-2017, 02:12 PM
It is so great to hear Randy's speaking voice, it is so much better than reading the interview!

Just think, they all got to the same point that Randy did just a little while later, tired of touring, exhausted and such; what if they had got to take a break after the HC tour and then return refreshed, if things would be different... Would Randy have come back? Nothing against Timothy, he's a class act!

I hope he is still able to feed the deer and other animals at his house. I can't wait to hear more of this interview.

Thanks for finding it and sharing ladies!

Delilah
04-17-2017, 01:15 PM
It is so great to hear Randy's speaking voice, it is so much better than reading the interview!

Just think, they all got to the same point that Randy did just a little while later, tired of touring, exhausted and such; what if they had got to take a break after the HC tour and then return refreshed, if things would be different... Would Randy have come back? Nothing against Timothy, he's a class act!

I hope he is still able to feed the deer and other animals at his house. I can't wait to hear more of this interview.

Thanks for finding it and sharing ladies!

ETG, I had those same thoughts when I was reading about how burned out Glenn had gotten during The Long Run. Randy just got to that point earlier; after all, before the Eagles, he had been on the road touring with Rick Nelson (including going overseas) and Poco. Even with The Poor he had been on the road some.

What gets me about how Randy quit is that he decides to give it all up, but instead of getting away from the craziness and going home, he stays on for the rest of the tour! He could have finished the tour and waited to announce he was quitting. The band dynamics would have been different, "Try and Love Again" may have been released as a single and he could have taken at least a month off then come back refreshed. He may have very well changed his mind about quitting. Of course, this is nothing against Timothy; I agree he is a class act and seems to be a very decent guy.

Oh well, hindsight is 20/20!

East Texas Girl
04-17-2017, 01:47 PM
Exactly Delilah!!

And to have Try And Love Again released as a single would have been great and probably a hit!

I know what if....

Delilah
05-16-2017, 10:55 AM
Part 3 of the interview-- and it looks like there will be 7 more segments!! Thank you, Mr. Beaudin!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=H0yuFuh09yQ

NightMistBlue
05-16-2017, 11:47 AM
Mr. Beaudin has done a great service to humanity. Thank you, John!

Some highlights: we get to hear Randy recite the chorus lyrics to "Hearts On Fire" and say the word screwing. :angel:

New Kid In Town
05-16-2017, 11:54 AM
I remember seeing an interview with Glenn where he stated had Randy stayed "Try And Love Again" would have been the next single released from the HC album.
Sadly, I do not think the Eagles could have taken any kind of break. Don H. stated they had contracts to abide by. At that point in time the Eagles were the biggest grossing band for the record label. No other artist/group came close. They had just released the HC album and the record label was already pressuring them about a new album. Also, both Irving and Elektra/Asylum felt the way to sell albums was to tour. There was no MTV to help with record sales. Had they been able to take an extended break things might have been different.
TY for finding those interviews - love them.

Delilah
05-16-2017, 03:02 PM
Mr. Beaudin has done a great service to humanity. Thank you, John!

Some highlights: we get to hear Randy recite the chorus lyrics to "Hearts On Fire" and say the word screwing. :angel:

Heh, heh that caught my attention too. :blush::D

I remember seeing an interview with Glenn where he stated had Randy stayed "Try And Love Again" would have been the next single released from the HC album.
Sadly, I do not think the Eagles could have taken any kind of break. Don H. stated they had contracts to abide by. Had they been able to take an extended break things might have been different...TY for finding those interviews - love them.

NKIT, do you remember what interview that was? I have seen references to that before, as well as a rumor that Don H told Randy TALA would be released as a single if he stayed. I think it was possible for them to take some kind of break. Don said years later they should have. And you're welcome; I'm glad others are enjoying these interviews too.

New Kid In Town
05-16-2017, 04:21 PM
Delilah - Thanks again for posting the interview. Randy is such a sweet person, I am so glad it looks like he has found some peace after his wife's passing.
I had read that quote not once but a few times about TALA being released as the next single had Randy stayed. I believe one of the places was in one of the books written about them. The others may have been print interviews. I am sorry but it was so long ago I can not recall......
I disagree about them being able to take a break but who knows. Don has said they had to feed the beast(the record label). I can only imagine the pressure and stress they were constantly under to produce one hit record after another.

East Texas Girl
05-17-2017, 10:23 AM
It is great to hear Randy's voice and I cannot wait for more of the segments to become available.

I dislike that John spoke in the past tense about Randy, saying what a nice guy Randy was....

Delilah
05-25-2017, 12:26 PM
Part 4 of the Rock History Music interview-- mild-mannered Randy curses! :woah::)

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ejE-1LYXUXo

East Texas Girl
05-25-2017, 12:39 PM
Delilah, I heard this earlier in the week and thought the same thing. Randy cussing, oh my gosh! :shock: Lol

NightMistBlue
05-25-2017, 03:20 PM
"Screwing" in last installment; "g.d." in this one ... it could be subtitled Randy Gets Real. :)

Delilah
05-29-2017, 11:33 PM
Part 5 of the Randy interview.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jDfCCkFbA3U

I find it kind of odd that Randy was asked about his "mental state" instead of his emotional state or what it felt like when he left the Eagles. I find the word choice questionable. It's so sweet of Randy to praise Henley here but then he often says nice things about others.

NightMistBlue
05-30-2017, 12:37 PM
John B. has also said he will post the uncut audio of the interview with Randy - complete with small talk and such - on his "other channel" at some point. :applause:

East Texas Girl
05-30-2017, 01:24 PM
John B. has also said he will post the uncut audio of the interview with Randy - complete with small talk and such - on his "other channel" at some point. :applause:

That would be cool to hear, NMB. Do you know what his "other channel" is?

NightMistBlue
05-30-2017, 02:25 PM
I do not! But I'm hoping he'll tell us when the time comes, or someone figures it out.

NightMistBlue
06-05-2017, 11:15 AM
Two Eagles for the price of one! In this interview segment Randy talks about sweet Timothy as well as the ways of Nashville and his solo career.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEtCdzDhnpI

Dawn
06-05-2017, 12:02 PM
Two Eagles for the price of one! In this interview segment Randy talks about sweet Timothy as well as the ways of Nashville and his solo career.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEtCdzDhnpI

Thanks I never get tired of Randy sharing his experiences and insights. Randy is a class act all the way!!! :applause:

NightMistBlue
06-07-2017, 11:26 AM
An online site called Society of Rock has done an article about Mr. Beaudin's latest installment of his series Conversations with Randy. They've given it a playfully misleading, gossip rag-style headline, "Oh, So THAT'S What Randy Meisner Really Thinks of His Replacement Timothy B. Schmit," as if Sweet Randy would rip Timmy aka Woodstock to shreds. Not these dudes. They're too Californian and evolved to feud. :)

http://societyofrock.com/oh-so-thats-what-randy-meisner-really-thinks-of-his-replacement-timothy-b-schmit/?a=mm&var=randy+meisner+talks+timothy+b.+schmit-ILCR&utm_campaign=randy+meisner+talks+timothy+b.+schmit&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_term=original-ilcr-mm&utm_content=randy+meisner

NightMistBlue
06-12-2017, 10:05 AM
Another installment - alas, the final! - in the Chronicles of Randia. :weep:
The Meis discusses the infamous fight with Glenn, touring as an older man and how he holds no hate or bitterness toward his former band mates.

Thank you, John B for sharing this rare treasure!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEUElqyN5CM

Delilah
06-12-2017, 11:55 AM
Thanks for posting that, NMB. I'm glad Randy enjoyed doing the WCR tours.

NightMistBlue
06-12-2017, 12:55 PM
There is another g.d. this week, for those of you keeping score at home :)

East Texas Girl
06-12-2017, 01:01 PM
There is another g.d. this week, for those of you keeping score at home :)

I noticed that too, NMB. It just sounds shocking coming from him. He seems so perfect that he would not utter such language. :wink:

LuvTim
06-12-2017, 05:32 PM
NMB, thanks for these SOR interviews. I just looove me a sweet bassist. We Eagles (and Poco) fans are SO lucky to have had both of these men to love.:heart::heart:

NightMistBlue
06-13-2017, 10:22 AM
Yep, they are two special guys: sweet, talented and incredibly easy on the eyes :)

NightMistBlue
06-19-2017, 04:13 PM
Another installment of The Randall Chronicles. No cussing this week; instead, he says "gosh darnit." He discusses bootlegs.

How do you embed a link so that a preview comes up, anybody know? Thank you. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l47fhjVDmGM&feature=youtu.be

LuvTim
06-19-2017, 10:02 PM
Another installment of The Randall Chronicles. No cussing this week; instead, he says "gosh darnit." He discusses bootlegs.

How do you embed a link so that a preview comes up, anybody know? Thank you. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l47fhjVDmGM&feature=youtu.be

Omg, who has that lost tape???? I wish someone would hear this interview and get it back to him!

Funk 50
06-20-2017, 06:56 AM
Omg, who has that lost tape???? I wish someone would hear this interview and get it back to him!

Unfortunately, as it was the tape recorder that was lost or stolen, about 45 years ago, the tape in it was probably unwittingly recorded over. Whoever acquired the tape would be unlikely to realize it's value.

But with Randy confessing to making "bootleg" recordings, I can't believe that the only one he made was lost. He must have more. I suspect that Randy will have some illicit recordings from his lengthy career stored away somewhere :shrug:

I'm surprised that Randy didn't know anything about Bill Szymczyk's Soul Pole LPs.

Delilah
06-20-2017, 11:59 AM

More Randy, yea! NMB if you're talking about what I think you are, remove the 's' at the end of 'https" and that will embed the video.

Unfortunately, as it was the tape recorder that was lost or stolen, about 45 years ago, the tape in it was probably unwittingly recorded over. Whoever acquired the tape would be unlikely to realize it's value.

But with Randy confessing to making "bootleg" recordings, I can't believe that the only one he made was lost. He must have more. I suspect that Randy will have some illicit recordings from his lengthy career stored away somewhere :shrug:

I'm surprised that Randy didn't know anything about Bill Szymczyk's Soul Pole LPs.

I have a feeling you're right, Funk 50, about it being taped over. :-( Otherwise I think it would have shown up by now in some form or fashion. Too bad Mr. Beaudin didn't ask if he had made any others. Randy has said he taped at least one show from the early Tulagi concert so here's hoping there are more.

When I first read this interview, I initially thought Randy was referring to the Soul Pole recordings, but now I wonder if he's referring to other recorded material, not released to the public.

NightMistBlue
06-20-2017, 12:11 PM
Thank you, D. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l47fhjVDmGM

Funk, have you heard the Soul Pole recordings? Is there much Randy content? I figured there wouldn't be so I've never made the effort to get them.

I heard one where Randy said, "this is going straight to mono." Then someone else said there was an incident where Joe asked him if he wanted to tune his bass, Randy declined and Joe then proceeded to upbraid him for his lack of professionalism (not sure if it was said in jest or not).

Funk 50
06-20-2017, 02:02 PM
Funk, have you heard the Soul Pole recordings? Is there much Randy content? I figured there wouldn't be so I've never made the effort to get them.

I heard one where Randy said, "this is going straight to mono." Then someone else said there was an incident where Joe asked him if he wanted to tune his bass, Randy declined and Joe then proceeded to upbraid him for his lack of professionalism (not sure if it was said in jest or not).

I edited the CDs (originally LPs distributed by Bill Szymczyk) down to a single mini disc that I thought I might listen to but I don't. It's mostly studio banter and jamming. I guess Randy doesn't really get involved much in the studio banter.

I enjoyed most of the (serious) music. The banter, not so much :unimpressed:

From memory it's labeled Soul Pole Vol 3 & 4 but there's a James Gang outtake and some Schmit included so I reckon it's a full 4 LPs worth.

http://www.guitars101.com/forums/f145/eagles-1976-1977-studio-outtakes-soul-pole-vol-3-stu-flac-214671.html

NightMistBlue
06-20-2017, 02:40 PM
Interesting; that source says that Bill Szymczyk sent the "Soul Pole" tapes as Christmas gifts on Dec 12, 1977 to about 50 people (including the Eagles themselves, naturally) who participated in the recording of Hotel California. Furthermore, it was Szymczyk's custom "to put together a compilation of funny studio moments and send them out to friends and family as Christmas presents."

Randy had left the band at that point, so maybe he never received his copy?

So many questions, so much silence. Randy, wherefore art thou?!