PDA

View Full Version : Vocal moments that make you weak in the knees

katherine5832
01-05-2008, 11:18 PM
I’m sure I’m not the only one here who thinks that Don’s voice is the sexiest voice in the music industry. I bet we all have our favorite moments in songs when that voice (not necessarily the lyrics) just makes us sigh, melt, get weak in the knees, whatever… Here are some of those moments for me. These are just the ones I can think of right now; rest assured, there are many, many more.

One of These Nights – “We’re gonna find one - (breath intake) - Mmmmm, one that really screams.” (I love that little breath and the mmmmm part.)
Also from OOTN – “Whoa-ooh-whoa-ooh-whoa-ooh”

After the Thrill is Gone – “Any kind of love without passion, Well, that ain’t no kind of lovin’ at all.”

Hotel California – “…she got the Mercedes bends…uuhh”
“Such a lovely face” in the second “Welcome to the Hotel California…” refrain.

Life in the Fast Lane – “Are you with me so far?” The second, deeper “Everything, all the time.” Anytime he follows “Life in the fast lane” with a little “yeah” or “uh”
(Okay, so I like when he moans and grunts in his songs. :blush: )

Wasted Time – “You just loved the boy too well.” (I love how he goes high on “loved.”)

The Last Resort – “And in the name of God” “Kiss it goodbye.” (I love how he goes higher and higher on “goodbye.”)

New Kid in Town – I know it’s Glenn’s song, but…I love listening to Don’s harmonies in this song. And, (surprise, surprise) I like his “Ohhhhh” before the second “Johnny-come-lately” refrain.

How Long – “The muddy river runs so deep”

What Do I Do With My Heart – “When I’m still missing you…”

Waiting in the Weeds – Okay, basically the whole damn song, but especially, “And he’s the darling of the chic. The flavor of the week is melting down your pretty summer dress…”

Whoa! I better stop with the Eagles’ tunes and move on to his solo stuff:

Boys of Summer – “Remember how I made you scream?” (Uh, no, but I can imagine…)

Not Enough Love in the World – My sig says it all.

Sunset Grill – “Don’t worry girl, I’m gonna stick by you. And someday soon we’re gonna get in the car and get outa here.” (My bags are packed, Don. I’m ready when you are!)

Last Worthless Evening – “And it just breaks my heart to see you here this way. Someday I’ll get the nerve to walk up to you and say…” (Say no more, Don. I'm yours!)

I Will Not Go Quietly – Everyone’s favorite line: “I wanna wrap my lovin’ arms around the small of your back, yeah, and I’m gonna pull you, pull you, pull you, pull you right up close to me.” (Again, ready when you are.)

Nobody’s Business – “What a price for a victimless crime”

Talking to the Moon – “And never change at all. I – WAS – JUST – TALKING – to the moon…”

Okay, I’ve got to stop before my brain explodes from Henley overload!

What are some of your favorite vocal moments?

sodascouts
01-06-2008, 12:23 AM
(Okay, so I like when he moans and grunts in his songs. :blush: )

You're not the only one! :twisted:

sodascouts
01-06-2008, 12:26 AM
One of These Nights – “We’re gonna find one - (breath intake) - Mmmmm, one that really screams.” (I love that little breath and the mmmmm part.)
Also from OOTN – “Whoa-ooh-whoa-ooh-whoa-ooh”

Waiting in the Weeds – Okay, basically the whole damn song, but especially, “And he’s the darling of the chic. The flavor of the week is melting down your pretty summer dress…”

Boys of Summer – “Remember how I made you scream?” (Uh, no, but I can imagine…)

Talking to the Moon – “And never change at all. I – WAS – JUST – TALKING – to the moon…”

All of the above moments - especially the last one - YES!

I also wanted to add:

Lilah - "The taste of your mouth, the smell of the perfume on your wrist..."

Leather and Lace - the whole verse!

DonFan
01-06-2008, 01:05 AM
Katherine, I am absolutely with you--Don DOES have the sexiest voice in the music industry! You have already listed a number of my favorite moments! A few I completely agree on:

Boys of Summer – “Remember how I made you scream?” Uh, no, but I can imagine… (That's makes two of us.)

IWNGQ--wrap your lovin’ arms around the small of MY back, too!

I also love the sharp intake of breath in OOTN.

I love when he sings "I'm still missing you," on WDIDWMH. (As a matter of fact, I have already posted elsewhere that I would love to hear him sing this entire song. 8) )

ALL of Talking to the Moon makes me melt. (See my sig line.)

A few others:

Come Rain or Come Shine on Unplugged, every time he sings "I'm gonna love you, like no one loves you...." <sigh>

Funky New Year---the first sexy groan--"Ughhhhhh"--at the beginning of the song, and the end when he says "Whose shoes are these?" (Mine?)

My Thanksgiving--"The last time I saw you we were playing with fire--we were loaded with passion and a burning desire," "For every moment of joy, every hour of fear--every winding road that brought me here ....for everyone who helped me start and for everything that broke my heart."

You Don't Know Me At All- "You should've killed me, because you always looked so good in black" (so do YOU, Don) and "If you think I'm gonna get down and crawl...."

Leather and Lace--"You in the moonlight, with your sleepy eyes, could you ever love a man like me?" (Uuhh--YES!)

Lilah--"The taste of your mouth, the smell of perfume on your wrist."

Miss Ghost--"Floating from my bedroom came a moaning and a sigh," "I commence to trembling when I think of all the things we did." and when he whispers "what dirty tricks the mind can play...so many things lie buried deep and baby, they should stay that way."

The Genie--"Is this what you wanted? Did you even think twice? Didn't they tell you that anything that feels this good comes with a price?"

More to come later....

katherine5832
01-06-2008, 01:55 AM
I love when he sings "I'm still missing you," on WDIDWMH. (As a matter of fact, I have already posted elsewhere that I would love to hear him sing this entire song. 8) )

I am so with you there! I actually feel ripped off that he doesn't get more lead lyrics on this song. Don't get me wrong, Glenn sounds great too. But I want this to be a Don song, dammit!

Brooke
01-06-2008, 05:08 PM
Yep, Don certainly does have a very sexy voice. It can definitely make me melt. :nod:

I think you guys have listed all the best parts and the one at the top of my list is the air intake in OOTN!

Gets me every time! :heart: :heybaby:

DonFan
01-07-2008, 10:58 AM
Two more:

New York Minute--when he sings, almost in a whisper "One day they're here, next day they're gone."

And the opposite, from Get Over It, when he comes back to the mic at the very end of the song and yells "GET OVER IT!" The first time I listened to that song, I thought that was Glenn's voice at the end. I laughed when I saw the video and realized it was actually Don.

Maleah
01-07-2008, 02:12 PM
Well I finally heard "Miss Ghost" and holy crap.....the ENTIRE THING is sexy!!! :shock:

DonFan
01-07-2008, 02:49 PM
Well I finally heard "Miss Ghost" and holy crap.....the ENTIRE THING is sexy!!! :shock:

Isn't it? :smokin: It gets me every time. 8)

Maleah
01-07-2008, 07:15 PM
It is! There's this part that I love near the end.....when he sings "here's to seeing through you....." and I don't know if he does a "ooooo" or an "mmmhmmmm.....miss ghost" but I just love it! And then the whispers at the end "Miss Ghost." Oh forget it.....it's just the entire song like I said :lol:

Ive always been a dreamer
01-07-2008, 08:44 PM
Okay - I know this is all subjective, and while I'm not sure that I can agree that Don has THE sexiest voice in the music industry, he definitely is in my top two or three. :wink: :wink:

He does have some incredibly HS&G lyrics, and his delivery of them can absolutely weaken the knees. I agree with almost all of the comments made in this thread with the exception of Miss Ghost. I know I'm probably in the minority here, but honestly, it doesn't do much for me. While some of the lyrics are sexy, I'm just not crazy about his voice in the song. I would much rather hear him use his LWE, EOTI, or Lilah voice in the song.

However, here are some of my knee weakening moments that haven't already been mentioned:

1. Long Way Home - especially the last part. I love how he draws out "long way home" - very definitely melt-worthy.

2. The End of the Innocence - "Just lay your head back on the ground, and let your hair spill all around me. Offer up your best defense, but this is the end, this is the end of the innocence". Needs no further explanation.

3. Heart of the Matter - Hey, I don't have to say it because Don did - "the flesh will get weak" when you hear this one!

4. You Don't Know Me at All - "I closed up the curtains, learned to confess. Baby, I knew better, but you were such a pretty mess. You took my breath away, now I want it back. Ah, you should’ve killed me, you always looked so good in black". Freakin' incredible!

5. Taking You Home - "And this love is like nothing I have ever known. Take my hand, love, I’m taking you home". Okay, Don I'm ready. Let's go!!!!!

Stars
12-10-2008, 11:13 AM
I was listening to "Last Worthless Evening" this morning, while I was driving around running errands, and when Don sings "Yeah, yeah, hey, hey" (or something to that effect), it just made me feel faint!
Also, there's a part in "Weeds" that actually makes my heart skip a beat! After he sings, "I know I've fallen out of your good graces...it's all right now!" The "it's all right now" gets to me everytime.
Also, in HFO, during "Heart of the Matter", just the way he pronounces "tenderness", really melts my heart.
I just LOVE his voice!!:inlove:

eaglesvet
12-10-2008, 11:39 AM
Well, I've already said in the Survivor game that the whole last verse where Glenn and Don do the "call and respond" split vocals really does it for me...it is one of the most exciting finishes to any song that I can think of! I realize that equal credit goes to Glenn as well as Don, but I think it still fits in this thread!

I've also said that one of my very faves is the county fair verse when Don changes key (as I previously learned from the more musically-savvy people on the Border). That whole effect---his voice, the lyrics--really caught my attention on that song, and made it my very fave on the album.

The other (besides many of the ones people have already mentioned) is pretty subtle, but I notice it every time. It's actually an audible exhale, rather than the air intake on OOTN. On Wasted Time, when he sings "Oh my God, you can't believe it's happening again," he exhales as he pauses after "God"--so that it's almost like he says "Godhhh." For some reason, I love that.

sodascouts
12-10-2008, 11:53 AM
I love that climactic moment in Talking to the Moon....

"Never change.... never change at all.... [dramatic pause] I WAS JUST Talking to the Moon..."

Gives me chills!

ETA: I see this had already been mentioned by Katherine a while back... been so long since she posted it I'd forgotten!

DonFan
12-10-2008, 07:14 PM
Ooh, I love that moment in Talking to the Moon, too!

I am listening to Please Come Home for Christmas daily during the Christmas season, and today I also played Funky New Year. The first sound you hear at the very beginning of the song is Don groaning "Augggghh.." That groan just does me in. :smokin:

I also melt a little at the end when he says all those little lines like "Nurse, I'm worse...I need to pick up a little," and "Whose shoes are these?" and then he kind of mutters huskily, "Never again."

Troubadour
12-10-2008, 08:42 PM
There are far too many - most of which have already been listed, but off the top of my head:

Long Road Out Of Eden - all of it, but especially "the road to Damascus, the road to Mandalay", and the beginning. When he cuts in with "Moon shining..." it gives me shivers.

Every line of The Last Resort. This song will always be special to me, and I think Don's voice sounds so sweet - especially combined with the lyrics. Particular favourite bits are "she came from Providence", "can't wait to tell you all" and "they even brought a neon sign - 'Jesus is coming'". As a couple of people have already mentioned, the end notes are incredible too.

"Oh it's cold and lonely here..." from Long Way Home.

I completely agree with DF about Come Rain or Come Shine. When it changes to "You're gonna love me", that gets me too!

Don's live version of Too Far Gone kills me. "I know that somewhere there's someone you love more than me" and "I hate to say it, but you have the right to be free." When he sings "I've loved you SO much, so long" - his voice kind of cracks on the SO, and it sounds like it's filled with so much longing. Beautiful.

You Never Cry Like A Lover - "you can't get loose if there's too much light". (Um, I can!!)

King Of Hollywood is fun and sexy. "Yeah, we're gonna take care of you darlin'" :fainting:

Desperado still gets me. The way he kind of draws out the first syllable of "senses" makes me swoon.

Finally, for now, Busy Being Fabulous. "Maybe some foolin' around." The way his voice drops at the end... Sigh.

Add me to the list of people who think Mr. Henley has THE sexiest voice in the world!

Meerstern
12-04-2017, 07:27 PM
Is it ok to fish out old threads? :nahnah:

Lately I've been listening to the 70's records and I noticed how sexy is Don's voice as well.
I love also Glenn's voice but confronted to Don's it's sweet, smooth and soft.
Someone in this board defined Don's voice "smoky, raspy, sexy". That's exactly my opinion too.

I have listened to this part in loop, it just gives me chills and it's so funny that Katherine mentions the same verse I love

“Such a lovely face” in the second “Welcome to the Hotel California…” refrain. (you read my mind, definitely)
"The pink champagne on ice - she said" (I get crazy when his voice becomes even more raspy than it is)
"We are programmed to receive" oh my! Pure manhood

Witchy Woman - All those high notes "ahhhhh" after the second repetition of the refrain.
"Let me tell you, brother, she's been sleeping in the Devil's bed"

Life in the Fast Lane – “Are you with me so far?” The second, deeper “Everything, all the time.” Anytime he follows “Life in the fast lane” with a little “yeah” or “uh”
(Okay, so I like when he moans and grunts in his songs. I can't understand why :hilarious::drool: )

Wasted Time – “You just loved the boy too well.” (I love how he goes high on “loved.”) (me too)

The Last Resort – “And in the name of God” “Kiss it goodbye.” plus the end high notes

Boys of Summer – “Remember how I made you scream?” (Uh, no, but I can imagine…) well if you'd like to refresh my memory...:censored:

Magnolia
12-04-2017, 11:18 PM
Don does have that sexy deep voice. I have to agree with the others when listing One of These Nights. I go weak in the knees every time I hear it for the little add-ons he does. It has to be my favorite song that he sings.

Dawn
12-05-2017, 12:41 AM
Though I love Don's voice I don't have a favorite weak in the knees moment. i do have a favorite song. Heart of the Matter.

Delilah
12-05-2017, 04:51 PM
Ditto on One of These Nights and Witchy Woman. I would add I Can’t Stand Still as having some sultry moments.

This doesn’t make me “weak in the knees” but I love how he sings these lines from Not Enough Love in the World:

I’m not easy live with
I know that it’s true
You’re no picnic either babe
That’s one of the things I love about you

YoungEaglesFan
12-05-2017, 09:13 PM
One of my favorite moments in a Don song is when he enters in “Leather And Lace” he just sounds so good in that. Absolutely loved that duet