PDA

View Full Version : Do You Have a Favorite Ex-Eagle?

Ive always been a dreamer
12-13-2006, 12:34 AM
I just posted that I think mine is Randy. Although I like them all, and think all three Ex-Eagles made very important contributions to the band, I like a lot of the songs that Randy sang lead on.

~~~~~~

I'm just a hired hand working on the dreams I plan to try. The days go by...

sodascouts
12-13-2006, 01:19 AM
Hmm, good question. I really admire Bernie and think he's amazingly talented, but I probably do enjoy Randy's songs a bit more. Take It to the Limit is my all-time favorite Eagles songs (one of my all-time favorite songs, period.) I guess that puts him over the top!

~

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/avatars/christmasbannereagles.jpg

EasyFeeling
12-13-2006, 06:35 AM
I like Randy. RG introduced me to his songs and I really like them.

DonFan
12-13-2006, 10:04 AM
I like Randy too. Our local radio stations play Take It to the Limit regularly, and I really like his version.

Brooke
12-13-2006, 03:42 PM
I'd have to go along with the rest of you. Randy, along with Don and Glenn, http://www.ezboard.com/images/emoticons/devil.gif actually was my favorite for a while back in the day! Really. I couldn't decide! I think it was whoever was singing the song at the moment! Each one of those three had their moments.

Glenn has completely taken over now, though. ;)

But ex-Eagles, definitely Randy. Love his songs.

~~~

"You know, people don't run out of dreams, people just run out of time."

EasyFeeling
12-13-2006, 03:49 PM
Really? I've never seen you in the Randy threads over there. ;)

Brooke
12-13-2006, 04:17 PM
You guys always had me http://www.ezboard.com/images/emoticons/roll.gif ! I couldn't post! :lol:

~~~

"You know, people don't run out of dreams, people just run out of time."

EasyFeeling
12-13-2006, 04:40 PM
Why not? It's a madhouse and really funny. Especially RG when she gets furious about Billy's posts. :)

Perfect Little Sister
12-15-2006, 04:35 PM
My fav ex is Bernie. He is so talented. And I really enjoy the old sound that he was so invested in. My Man is one of my favorite songs. I did have to turn it off when I was driving home after finding out my dear friend Dave had died tho...the "far beyond the pain" line was more than I could handle. But that was only the one time. The beauty of the song overpowers any sadness the lyrics might stir up. I should listen to some of his post Eagles stuff. I'm ashamed to say I never followed him after the Eagles. But then, for me, it's more about the Eagles as a whole than the various parts.

Freypower
12-15-2006, 06:34 PM
I'm a Bernie person too. After Glenn and Don's songs my favourite Eagles songs tend to be Bernie's - My Man, Bitter Creek, Train Leaves Here This Morning - although there are two glaring exceptions from the OOTN album. I like the rather prickly relationship he has with Glenn in the BBC special (Halloween ain't the summer! - Details). I really should try and obtain his solo work because I'm sure I would enjoy it. I do have some Flying Burrito Brothers songs he plays on.

sodascouts
12-15-2006, 10:22 PM
"My Man" is magnificent, and one of the most moving Eagles songs, IMHO.

tengo ritmo
12-15-2006, 10:54 PM
Whoops, guess my post didn't get transferred:
Mine is definitely Bernie. I just think he's unbelievably cool and is probably the most "different" Eagle. If there was ever any doubt, My Man just puts it over the top for me.

Randy's Girl
12-17-2006, 07:39 PM
Well, you'll never guess who my favourite is! :wink:

But apart from that, I like the band as a whole too, they're good whoever is in the band.

Randy has been my favourite for 19 years now, can't see that changing anytime soon! Very talented man, fantastic singer and bass player (and a pretty good guitarist) and he's as sexy as hell too! What more could I ask for?

Maleah
12-18-2006, 01:29 AM
Randy is definently my favorite "ex-eagle!" LOVE "Take it to the Limit" and pretty much every other song he sang with them. I haven't heard any of his solo stuff, but I'm sure it's great, as he has a fabulous voice, imo!

Randy's Girl
12-18-2006, 12:15 PM
I can send you some, Maleah, if you want.

glenneaglesfan
12-19-2006, 03:10 PM
I don't really know if I have a favourite, as I've only really been a die-hard fan more recently. I do like Take It To The Limit and My Man - the beauty of The Eagles has always been how they all have terrific voices in their different ways. Don F sounded good on Visions even though he didn' t consider himself a vocalist. I love that Bernie/Glenn banter on the BBC 1973 concert - Glenn was already establishing himself as the frontman way back then!

12-19-2006, 10:06 PM
I like several of the songs Bernie sings lead on as well. As has already been mentioned, My Man is great. I also like Twenty One and Bitter Creek at lot.

sodascouts
12-19-2006, 11:31 PM
Twenty-one is a fun song with great harmonies, and I love Bitter Creek as well. In fact, I adore the entire Desperado album.

Randy's Girl
12-20-2006, 06:04 AM
I do too, Desperado was my favourite from the first time I heard it, and still is. I love Bitter Creek and Outlaw Man and all of them. I don't know if I could choose a favourite.

I like all the songs that Bernie sings, especially My Man.

badkitty33
03-30-2007, 03:49 PM
Randy, Randy, Randy!! And not just because he's, like, five-alarm hot!!! He sings and plays well too! Seriously, I love his voice and I can't listen to an Eagles song (or anything for that matter) and hear the bass and not think of Randy! Even if it's not him playing!!! I really notice bass a lot more now that I've listened more intently to his stuff with and/or without the Eagles.

Oh yeah, that, and, did I mention it's because he's gorgeous???

04-04-2007, 09:45 PM
My my BK - these are some nice pic of Randy. I love his scruffy look in the HC pics. And I've never noticed he is holding the queen of diamond in this pic. Doesn't he know she'll beat him if she's able. :wink:

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/njlc33/CARD.jpg

sodascouts
04-04-2007, 09:57 PM
The last one is my favorite, I think. Thanks for posting 'em!

Maleah
04-04-2007, 11:04 PM
My my BK - these are some nice pic of Randy. I love his scruffy look in the HC pics. And I've never noticed he is holding the queen of diamond in this pic. Doesn't he know she'll beat him if she's able. :wink:

Oh yes.....that's the pic :D My immediate favorite the first time I saw it!

badkitty33
04-05-2007, 10:55 AM

You know what dreamer? It took me awhile before I noticed the card too!! Now, why wouldn't I have noticed the card??? Can't imagine! Oh wait, maybe because I was looking at that adorable face?!! 8)

And then I'll kick her ass!!! :wink:

badkitty33
04-05-2007, 11:00 AM
The last one is my favorite, I think. Thanks for posting 'em!

You're welcome, and ... I love that pic too! 8) When I bought the magazine (last Sept.) containing that one, I fell in love with him after 30 years when I first caught a glimpse on the HC album! Thirty years!! Shame on me!!

badkitty33
04-05-2007, 11:02 AM

Oh yes.....that's the pic :D My immediate favorite the first time I saw it!

It is beautiful, isn't it sis? I think if I had to pick ONE picture of him ... just for the darling expression on his face. What could he be thinking??? I'd love to know!! 8)

Maleah
04-05-2007, 11:07 AM
Yes it is! I love the expression too. He looks really sweet in that pic :D

04-05-2007, 12:22 PM
You know what dreamer? It took me awhile before I noticed the card too!! Now, why wouldn't I have noticed the card??? Can't imagine! Oh wait, maybe because I was looking at that adorable face?!! 8)

And then I'll kick her ass!!! :wink:

Whoa - That queen of diamonds better not mess with Randy! :wink:

Marco
06-17-2007, 02:54 PM
I think I'm the only who prefer Don Felder.

sodascouts
06-17-2007, 03:03 PM
Don't be sad, Marco. There are many people who like him best - just check out http://www.felderfans.com and you can see he's definitely got a fanbase!

Marco
06-18-2007, 11:52 AM
Thank You :D

Kyle
11-01-2007, 03:01 PM
Don Felder is a great, often underated guitarist. He had a terrific sound.

Randy is unique, its the voice that sets him apart, plus writing songs that are easy to relate to.

Leadon has a great sound too.....its hard to decide, because they all are talented.

sodascouts
11-01-2007, 03:18 PM
I know. They all have different strengths. Felder lately is on my bad side because of his new book, lol, but he is a brilliant guitarist. There's no denying that. I admire and respect Bernie for how true he is to himself and his music. Randy... what a great voice!

rosa
11-01-2007, 07:15 PM
My favorite ex-Eagle is Randy Misner,Take it To The limit What a Voice and what a song!

sodascouts
11-02-2007, 01:41 PM
Take It to the Limit is my favorite Eagles song! Gorgeous.

eagleshenleyfan
11-18-2007, 10:48 AM
It would have to be Don Felder for me I agree that he is a fantastic, underrated guitarist.
It's a pity that things turned ugly between himself and the rest of the guys but if he was holding up the creative process of the band it was probably for the best that he went. I have n't read his book yet so I don't know the whole story, but I'll get round to it soon.

Felder maybe my fav ex Eagle but I'm taking nothing away from Randy and Bernie who were crucial to the band's early sound. :D

rcknalwys
11-18-2007, 03:36 PM
As has been said, Bernie was also an integral part of the early Eagles, but I miss Felder the most I think. Although, Randy did some of my all time favorite songs, especially TITTL.

chaim
05-10-2010, 05:18 PM
I could never choose between Randy and Bernie. I love "My man", "Bitter creek" etc., but I also love "Take the devil", "Certain kind of fool" etc. I probably prefer Randy's voice, but Bernie had a kind of "maturity" in his voice. His voice brought some "mature calmness" to the band, so I think his voice was important too. I don't mean "mature" like "sounding like a man", but a certain kind of calmness and "wisdom" than can be sensed from the way he sang. I think it brought a nice balance to Glenn's "James Dean" side !
I'm gonna go a bit off-topic here. A lot of bands I love seem to have personalities that are totally different from each other. If you were forming a band, would Glenn Frey, Don Henley, Randy Meisner and Bernie Leadon be the first combination that comes to mind? :hilarious: It's hard to find similarities in these personalities, but the combination worked. KISS is still probably my favourite band of all-time, for various reasons, but the original lineup was the most unlikely combination of people I have even witnessed anywhere. Ace Frehley was a person who was a genius according to an IQ test, but who chose to fly somewhere in the twilight zone instead of getting anything organized. Gene Simmons was a businessman, always keeping his head clear and his mind in the big picture, never touching alcohol or tobacco, and reading everything in the world from religion through social siences to politics, but at the same time writing songs 24 hours a day. Paul Stanley was a bit of a romantic, but at the same time speaking in a very thoughtful, intellectual way in inteviews, using lots of metaphors. It seems that the only thing these three people had in common was that each of them had an amazing sense of humour. Peter Criss was a religious catholic, but also complaining about everything. He probably was also the only one in the band who's obviously from this planet. Still, the combination of these four people, who were never exactly friends, worked when it was time to create.
I love bands with people who don't seem to quite belong together, but at the same time it's absolutely perfect. Eagles, Kiss, Queen...
Randy and Bernie were both perfect for the Eagles.

Eve
05-25-2010, 07:38 PM
Randy is my favorite Eagle, period.

whitcap
05-25-2010, 10:29 PM
Randy is my favorite Eagle, period.

Randy's my favorite too. Have you read this interview (http://www.smoothjazznow.com/interviews/randy_meisner.htm)? Its from 2004 and its a good recent interview.

EagleLady
06-08-2010, 02:24 PM
Randy

WalshFan88
11-15-2010, 10:19 PM
Don Felder is my favorite Ex-Eagle. He is one of my biggest guitar inspirations other than Joe Walsh. He and Joe were my favorite guitar duo.

Scarlet Sun
11-15-2010, 10:32 PM
Bernie. One reason is that he came up with the catchy opening riffs/licks to no less than seven songs on the (first or second) best-selling album of all time . . .

MikeA
11-15-2010, 10:49 PM
I think Bill Szymczyk is my favorite ex-Eagle though he did come out of retirement to do Long Road Out Of Eden in 2007 and I guess doesn't qualify because of that. So much of that "Eagles Sound" is because of his untold hours in the editing studio both during and after the "takes". Same with Walsh's works and the James Gang before that. Bill doesn't get the public recognition he should get....but then not many "producers" do get that recognition. People tend to think the magic on records is pure talent from the band....and I'm not discounting that at all. But it takes someone who really knows what they are doing to take that live sound and get it laid down on vinyl or digitized onto a CD or DVD.

But I think the intent was to name an "ex" that performed on stage with band during concerts. Felder, Meisner and Leadon. For me, it would have to be Felder but NOT just because he was a virtuoso on guitar. His style is closer to what I identify with. Leadon is however, the most accomplished musician in my opinion. I think he could play a fishing line if he had to and play it well! Love his work on mandolin and banjo as well as guitar.

Meisner would get the nod from me on vocals of those three X's.

Freypower
11-15-2010, 11:01 PM
Bernie. One reason is that he came up with the catchy opening riffs/licks to no less than seven songs on the (first or second) best-selling album of all time . . .

Which songs? He only has a songwriting credit for Witchy Woman. I am not disputing what you are saying, I am just wondering why you are so sure that only Bernie came up with these riffs.

WalshFan88
11-15-2010, 11:32 PM
I think Bill Szymczyk is my favorite ex-Eagle though he did come out of retirement to do Long Road Out Of Eden in 2007 and I guess doesn't qualify because of that. So much of that "Eagles Sound" is because of his untold hours in the editing studio both during and after the "takes". Same with Walsh's works and the James Gang before that. Bill doesn't get the public recognition he should get....but then not many "producers" do get that recognition. People tend to think the magic on records is pure talent from the band....and I'm not discounting that at all. But it takes someone who really knows what they are doing to take that live sound and get it laid down on vinyl or digitized onto a CD or DVD.

But I think the intent was to name an "ex" that performed on stage with band during concerts. Felder, Meisner and Leadon. For me, it would have to be Felder but NOT just because he was a virtuoso on guitar. His style is closer to what I identify with. Leadon is however, the most accomplished musician in my opinion. I think he could play a fishing line if he had to and play it well! Love his work on mandolin and banjo as well as guitar.

Meisner would get the nod from me on vocals of those three X's.

I agree. Bill is a GREAT producer and engineer!

Scarlet Sun
11-16-2010, 12:44 AM
Which songs? He only has a songwriting credit for Witchy Woman. I am not disputing what you are saying, I am just wondering why you are so sure that only Bernie came up with these riffs.
Take It Easy
Witchy Woman
Lyin' Eyes
Already Gone
Tequila Sunrise
Peaceful Easy Feeling
Best Of My Love

In the case of the first two songs, we know that in To The Limit J.D. Souther credited him with coming up with the opening of Take It Easy, and Don talked about the opening of Witchy Woman in the Very Best Of The Eagles booklet. As far as the rest of them go, Bernie played them, and J.D. said that he had a knack for coming up with those hooks, so I would assume they were his unless there was evidence to the contrary. Opening riffs don't have anything to do with songwriting credits, unless you're the organ player for Procol Harum . . .

EaglesFanatic
11-16-2010, 04:19 PM
If I had to choose my favorite ex-eagle, it would have to be Felder. He is so amazing at the solos and I love his style. I think Randy has a very unique sound to his voice. Bernie is very fun to watch on old videos, because he plays the banjo like it's second nature. Overall though, Don is my favorite ex-eagle.

Freypower
11-16-2010, 06:23 PM
Take It Easy
Witchy Woman
Lyin' Eyes
Already Gone
Tequila Sunrise
Peaceful Easy Feeling
Best Of My Love

In the case of the first two songs, we know that in To The Limit J.D. Souther credited him with coming up with the opening of Take It Easy, and Don talked about the opening of Witchy Woman in the Very Best Of The Eagles booklet. As far as the rest of them go, Bernie played them, and J.D. said that he had a knack for coming up with those hooks, so I would assume they were his unless there was evidence to the contrary. Opening riffs don't have anything to do with songwriting credits, unless you're the organ player for Procol Harum . . .

But are we talking about the acoustic or electric riffs? At least for Tequila Sunrise & Lyin' Eyes, which Glenn co-wrote, those songs begin with acoustic strumming before the electric guitar kicks in. The same is true for Best Of My Love and Peaceful Easy Feeling. The truth is I wouldn't know so I would guess you are right.

Scarlet Sun
11-16-2010, 06:36 PM
But are we talking about the acoustic or electric riffs? At least for Tequila Sunrise & Lyin' Eyes, which Glenn co-wrote, those songs begin with acoustic strumming before the electric guitar kicks in. The same is true for Best Of My Love and Peaceful Easy Feeling. The truth is I wouldn't know so I would guess you are right.
the electric riffs

11-17-2010, 08:30 PM
The thing is I don’t think there is any concrete evidence for us to positively conclude that it was Bernie who came up with the opening riffs for all of those songs. I’m not saying he did or he didn’t - I'm just saying we don’t know for sure. Just because Bernie played those riffs doesn’t necessarily mean he came up with them. While I agree that everyone is free to assume and believe whatever they wish, to me there isn't enough information available to declare it as fact.

GettheLeadonOut!!
11-17-2010, 09:38 PM
Take It Easy is probably one of Bernie's finest moments, that opening riff is legendary...and don't get me started on the guitar solo, probably one of the most recognizable guitar solos in rock n roll. Sadly, if you asked the common music fan who wrote it they'd tell you it was Joe Walsh :-x

aivliss
03-03-2011, 04:17 PM
Bernie Leadon is my favourite ex.

chaim
02-03-2012, 09:25 AM

Lyin' Eyes does start with Bernie's brilliant electric guitar theme above Glenn's (and Don Felder's) acoustic strumming. Tequila Sunrise starts with Glenn's acoustic, but Bernie's electric comes in before the first chord chance, unless my memory fails me! (Also another acoustic, by Bernie I suppose, comes in.) In Best Of My Love Bernie's pedal steel comes in during the intro; in pretty much the same way as in Tequila Sunrise. There's also some electric lead work in the Peaceful Easy Feeling intro, but it's not as noticable as the Lyin' Eyes intro. I think these are the bits Scarlet Sun is talking about.

Grey Sadler
11-05-2012, 02:09 PM
I've gotta go with Mr. Meisner on this one...
It all goes back to a little 10-year old Grey, a Stevie Nicks-twirling-twerp who was really getting into rock & roll back in 1982...every time the song "Never Been in Love" came on the radio, to quote Ms. Nicks, everything stopped!! :-o
I will always adore that song...and now I have the entire album...plus some more of Randy's wonderful songs on the old Eagles' albums :partytime:

zeldabjr
11-06-2012, 09:18 PM
I really don't remember Randy or Bernie that well so I'd have to say Don Felder...I was quite shocked and disappointed when I heard he was out of the group...

Tiffanny Twisted
11-06-2012, 10:31 PM
well...I think Randy was just a sweet guy.
soft spoken type.
Bernie...well he did alot for country rock sound..sorta the father of it I think JMO
while I respect felder for writing my fave song Hotel calif, i lost alot of it when he did the throw them under the bus of DH and GF in his book....
thats jmo folks

zeldabjr
11-06-2012, 10:37 PM
oh you're right about Felder...thus my very mixed feelings about him....

Tiffanny Twisted
11-06-2012, 10:43 PM
bren...I think everyone has mixed feelings about that dude.
I mean JMO you can be a genius and be a "jerk" or you can be dumb as a bag of hammers but be as sweet as pie.
I think he thought he was doing the right thing by writing the book and telling his side of things and believe it or not, DH and GF took the high road and didnt air their dirty laundry.
but if I started to rant ...or write a book...that would be a wholenother thread.
I think we can agree that Felder brings a lot of mixed feelings to most eagles fans. thee is no middle road with him your either on one side of the fence or the other..

pueblo47
11-06-2012, 10:44 PM
BERNIE LEADON:rockguitar:

zeldabjr
11-06-2012, 11:02 PM
I guess being a sweet soft spoken guy is a prerequisite for being an Eagles bassist huh?...

Tiffanny Twisted
11-07-2012, 10:35 AM
maybe...but I love timmy more....
he blew me away when he talked about how much he missed his wife and he wrote a song for her.'what a guy

Outlawman13
02-26-2013, 08:38 PM
Mine would have to be Randy.

tjrrockandrollmaster
04-18-2013, 12:34 AM
Don Felder, Bernie L eadon and Randy Meisner I like equally!

Felder's guitar brought the band to the next level. In fact, one of my favorite Eagle tracks was penned by Randy and Fingers being "Too Many Hands". My mom at first thought Joe Walsh wrote it and I said "it's Don Felder who wrote the music and Randy Meisner the lyrics". Felder wrote the music for "The Disco Strangler" and "Those Shoes" also which many forgot as well.

Joe Walsh was right on the money when he said "Randy never knew how great he was" and Randy was just an excellent singer/bass player. Shame he developed stagefright from being made to sing "Take it To the Limit"'s high note at the end. Left to his own device he could do it great but if made to do it, he got scared.

I also like Bernie L eadon as well. His songs were excellent and haven't heard a better banjo player.

AstraeaLunaAvani
04-18-2013, 08:34 AM
Felder's guitar brought the band to the next level. In fact, one of my favorite Eagle tracks was penned by Randy and Fingers being "Too Many Hands". My mom at first thought Joe Walsh wrote it and I said "it's Don Felder who wrote the music and Randy Meisner the lyrics".

I never knew this!! I LOVE Too Many Hands, musically and lyrically! Wow that's cool to know! I love Randy, he's my favorite ex Eagle (Joe being my favorite current one).

Joe Walsh was right on the money when he said "Randy never knew how great he was" and Randy was just an excellent singer/bass player. Shame he developed stagefright from being made to sing "Take it To the Limit"'s high note at the end. Left to his own device he could do it great but if made to do it, he got scared.

I can relate to him, i'm the same way...I can't do things nearly as good when someone tells me to and pays attention to it, but I can do it fine if I do it on my own, alone!

wasl89
05-16-2013, 06:46 PM
That's definitely Randy, his voice is just incredible.
When I first heard Take It to the Limit I had tears rolling down my face. The live version of that song gives me goose bumps every time I hear it.

Bernie is one cool guy and I love the way he plays the banjo.
Felder always amazed me with his great guitar play.
But none of that is as good as Randy Meisners voice!

Turf
05-17-2013, 09:48 PM
My favorite ex-Eagle is ... wait for it ... Don Felder! Okay, given my avatar, I suppose that wasn't too surprising. But man, I just love his guitar playing!! :guitar: The man can play that rock and roll. Oh, wait that's... Nevermind.

Reading through this thread, I see it's kinda lonely over here in the Fingers Felder camp... It ain't nothin' like the Randy camp (you all be careful not to step on each other's toes!). Anyway, looks like I get to hang out with: Marco, eagleshenleyfan, rcknalwys, WalshFan88, MikeA, EaglesFanatic and zeldabjr. Cool!!

Perhaps some more people will join us :cheers:

VAisForEagleLovers
05-17-2013, 10:42 PM
Sorry, Turf, but I have to say it's pretty much equal for me!

sodascouts
05-17-2013, 11:07 PM
You can hang out with me, too, Turf! We're all Eagles fans! ;)

Turf
05-17-2013, 11:25 PM
No worries, VAisForEagleLovers! sodascouts, Cool!

You're both entirely too reasonable :D

LuvRandy
06-10-2013, 12:51 PM
Randy, Randy, and Randy!

sad-cafe
06-10-2013, 08:01 PM
Randy ( but of course if he hadn't left, we wouldn't have Timothy B)

Then Bernie

I really do not like Felder. He may have been talented, but in my opinion all I feel towards him is he tries to fling poo to make himself look better any chance he gets.

Tiffanny Twisted
06-10-2013, 09:42 PM
I think bernie.he was a man who always seemed to march to he beat if his own drum
Ya know, do things his way true to his heart
I respect that in a person famous or otherwise

Houston Baby
06-16-2013, 10:29 AM
Randy, Randy, and Randy!

LuvRandy - just checking, is Randy your favorite ex-Eagle? :hilarious:

I love Randy too! :thumbsup:

AstraeaLunaAvani
06-26-2013, 09:19 AM
:cheers: Cheers to Randy lovers! 8)

Outlawman13
06-26-2013, 04:35 PM
Randy is my ultimate favvie ex-Eagle. Love him and yes, cheers to Randy lovers!!

cricrichan
06-26-2013, 05:33 PM
Randy is my favourite ex-Eagle as well :rofl:

Brooke
06-27-2013, 01:51 PM
Randy is mine too. He was just so cute!

UndertheWire
08-21-2013, 01:36 PM
Bernie. I like his voice and Bitter Creek is one of my favourite tracks. I also like the guitars on the first two albums (Bernie or Glenn, it doesn't matter). In the BBC 1973 concert, Bernie seems to interact well the Randy and Glenn as if he's giving them encouragement during the performance. Perhaps I'm just nostalgic for the original line-up.

In recent interviews Bernie seems so thoughtful and grounded and I particularly like that he has no regrets about leaving the band because if he hadn't, he wouldn't have his son. That's a man who knows his priorities.

thelastresort
08-23-2013, 04:53 PM
Favourite ex-Eagle? Don Felder. Love him or hate him, he's a phenomenal guitarist and probably the best musician they ever had. Meisner a close second, he's the best vocalist they ever had; even if Don H. was a better all-rounder, for me Randy beat him hands down on actually specific ability.

RebeccaLovesEagles
08-27-2013, 06:04 PM
I love them all but I'm going with Don Felder. After having seen him twice in concert, he just blows me away watching him work his guitar! Also when I posted on his facebook page that my mom said that it was her favorite birthday present ever, he wrote Tell your mom Happy Birthday for me. Mom was so happy, it made her day, he our favorite ex eagle:hug:

outontheborder
09-05-2013, 01:43 PM
It's a hard one! Like many people here, I'm probably going to have to go for Randy- that voice is amazing, and he seems like a general lovely guy. But Bernie and Don are both fantastic too (Felder is one of my greatest music heroes!)

randymeisnerrocks
09-24-2013, 03:42 PM
Reading through this thread, I see it's kinda lonely over here in the Fingers Felder camp...

I understand what you mean. Seems like to me either Frey or Felder are the devil, depending on who you talk to. But I love "Fingers" Felder AND Glenn Frey. (Not as much as Randy, of course!) The Eagles are my BAND. I respect ALL of them for their different contributions. This doesn't have to be "pick a side." I mean, this ain't high school.

musicgirl
12-30-2013, 03:25 AM
Randy is the one, voice, hair, looks, he had it all and mixed with his gentle shyness was just pure charisma.
I have always wondered which one of the Eagles was the most popular with the girls in the 1970's. Everyone always picked their favorite Beatle, but I
don't recall picking the favorite Eagle.

randysgirl
01-01-2014, 10:40 PM
I loved the Eagles music from the early 70's to the late 70's. I would always notice the really cute dark haired guy with the dimples on their album inserts, posters, etc. I did not know all of their names or what they sang.
My favorite line up is the HC lineup, but I also appreciate the four original members line-up. I did not know much about Bernie, but I am learning to appreciate his talent too.

My favorite is Randy for all the reasons musicgirl mentioned. For me, from a strictly looks standpoint, Randy is the "Paul" of the Eagles with his cute boyish looks. I also like Felder. He is tremendously talented and love his long blond hair.

xxy
04-22-2014, 11:12 PM
Don felder!!

DJ
04-23-2014, 04:46 PM
My favorite Ex-Eagle is Randy. Not only because he is beautiful to look at but his personality,mannerism's,music and voice add up to be the closest thing to perfect.
After reading this thread from the beginning and finding that most people like Randy, I just wonder why he wasn't more popular in the 70's. He obviousley is viewed as extremely "hot" by a lot of people. Back then you saw pictures of say David Cassidy plastered on everything. I personally think Randy beats someone such as David 10 fold hands down. In the present time he would be considered something like the "hot" Eagle and plastered everywhere. Perhaps, and I am thinking it was, it was because he 1. Was a married man with children 2. He didn't want the publicity. What does everyone else think. If we get this going it could be moved to a new thread.

randysgirl
04-23-2014, 11:30 PM
My favorite Ex-Eagle is Randy. Not only because he is beautiful to look at but his personality,mannerism's,music and voice add up to be the closest thing to perfect.
After reading this thread from the beginning and finding that most people like Randy, I just wonder why he wasn't more popular in the 70's. He obviousley is viewed as extremely "hot" by a lot of people. Back then you saw pictures of say David Cassidy plastered on everything. I personally think Randy beats someone such as David 10 fold hands down. In the present time he would be considered something like the "hot" Eagle and plastered everywhere. Perhaps, and I am thinking it was, it was because he 1. Was a married man with children 2. He didn't want the publicity. What does everyone else think. If we get this going it could be moved to a new thread.

I think it was because he was one of four and then later 5 Eagles. He was not promoted as a "heartthrob" but as an Eagle with the whole group. David Cassidy was more of a solo artist or at least lead singer with the Partridge Family then. I do think today Randy might be more singled out as a "hot" guy, with the internet and constant media which we did not have in the 70's. I think Randy beats David Cassidy hands down, at least in my book, and he also beats Bobby Sherman who was similar looking with the dark hair and dimples. both from a talent and looks standpoint.

sodascouts
04-24-2014, 10:52 PM
I remember reading interviews from the 80s where the guys were saying that nobody recognized them because they didn't put their faces on their album covers (except for Desperado), and they didn't do too many interviews.

UndertheWire
04-29-2014, 11:39 AM
My best friend was a huge David Cassidy fan and she bought all the fan magazines and singles. He was marketed at very young teen and pre-teen girls (we'd have been about 12 or 13 and were right on target). The songs tended to be young love songs ("I think I love you", "Cherish", Breaking up is Hard to Do", off the top of my head). The Partridge Family was a safe family show and he played a teen even if he was in his twenties.

I don't remember the Eagles being marketed at all but I believe they were aiming more for late-teens/early twenties. The songs are about drinking, sex, drugs and gambling rather than romantic love. Marketing a band-member as a heart-throb just wouldn't have been cool.

Still, I've seen mentions here and there that they wanted to become the american Beatles but it didn't quite work out.

Zanny Kingston
04-29-2014, 03:40 PM
On the ex eagle discussion- my first favorite is Randy. It really was not until seeing him in HOTE that I realized how truly good looking he was. Physically good looking for sure, but something about his inner nature seems to come through on his face as well. Peacefulness or a kindness? maybe? I don't know quite what it is. He had a really good singing voice.

Thinking back, Randy did have the David Cassidy type look but the Eagles were just not that type of band, their target audience was older than what the David Cassidy camp aimed at and then comes the "problem" of having all these really good looking men in one band- what do you?

My second favorite from a talent perspective: Don Felder. That whole situation is really too bad.

randysgirl
04-29-2014, 11:39 PM
[QUOTE=Zanny;276675]On the ex eagle discussion- my first favorite is Randy. It really was not until seeing him in HOTE that I realized how truly good looking he was. Physically good looking for sure, but something about his inner nature seems to come through on his face as well. Peacefulness or a kindness? maybe? I don't know quite what it is.

I have thought the same thing many times after watching the HOTE. The full impact of his looks and talent kind of hit me like a "wow" moment. There are many good looking and talented men, but something about Randy, some intangible quality comes through. It is very attractive and endearing at the same time.

DJ
04-30-2014, 03:52 PM
Randy seems to have a spiritual vibe he can send out, even from old video's. He gets to you not just his exceptionally good looks but his voice and the soul that comes through. He acts very gracious also...:smitten::heart::fainting:
All these emotions at once, is what vibe Randy sends out..

randybaby
05-01-2014, 05:53 AM
Randy seems to have a spiritual vibe he can send out, even from old video's. He gets to you not just his exceptionally good looks but his voice and the soul that comes through. He acts very gracious also...:smitten::heart::fainting:
All these emotions at once, is what vibe Randy sends out..

My favorite is the gorgeous talented and humble mr meisner
Soo smouchingly gorgeous yet so quiet and in the background always a reliable 'bass'. I can hear him on bass on all the tracks , so constant and steady , an amazing musician , and a foundation foralleagles success. :inlove:

Olivia
05-10-2014, 07:09 PM
Hi all, I'm new here but had to chime in. I am in love with Randy Meisner, isn't he deliciously handsome!!? Besides his great looks, he is the most talented singer of the 70's and 80's! Just love his sweet gentle voice 🎶🎶💕💕

sad-cafe
05-14-2014, 09:11 PM
my least favorite is Felder. To me, he just puts off a bad vibe. Like he can't wait to tattle on others. Some things are just better left unsaid but not fingers...he wants to give dirt on others.

DJ
05-18-2014, 05:31 PM
my least favorite is Felder. To me, he just puts off a bad vibe. Like he can't wait to tattle on others. Some things are just better left unsaid but not fingers...he wants to give dirt on others.

In my opinion, Felder seems hurt,angered or even disheartened. He had a lot of success with the Eagles and yet he can't quite grasp happiness. I do not feel sorry for him, but I do feel empathy. Because anyone who can't find some happiness must be totally missing the point of living their life for themself. He has a new fiance' and children to cherish and enjoy, so why dwell on the past. Why would you want to keep crucifying the people that hurt you once upon a time. I think the press,fans and anyone else that knows anything about the Eagles gets his anger. You don't see Randy in the press nailing Glenn or Don or whoever to the wall for things that happened 40 years ago. It's just sad. Because of that he is my least favorite.

VAisForEagleLovers
05-25-2014, 11:35 AM
I think that a year ago, Bernie was probably my least favorite, not because I didn't like him, just because I didn't know much about him. He never really stood out, and of course I've always been a big Joe Walsh fan, so I considered Bernie leaving and Joe coming in to be my personal musical nirvana.

However, with Bernie going on tour with the guys, and seeing him perform so often with them, he's graduated to my favorite 'ex-Eagle'. I don't think we can really classify him as 'ex' anymore, however, he's not a 'full' Eagle. I can't think of a proper term because I didn't get nearly enough sleep last night.

05-25-2014, 02:28 PM
I totally hear ya, VA. I always liked Bernie a lot, but I definitely have a new found respect and admiration for him as events have played out over the last several years. He is a class act, not to mention, extremely talented. At the very least, I kinda of think of him as an honorary Eagle. As a matter of fact, you just gave me an idea for a new thread!

The Disco Strangler
09-06-2014, 08:23 PM
Randy. I really enjoy listening to him sing. One of my fave Eagle tunes is Take It to the Limit.

cynd1231
09-07-2014, 11:44 AM
I always loved them all but in their early days had a soft spot for Randy. What an incredible voice. And although I've been a TBS die-hard for years and always will be, I have to admit that Bernie knocked the wind out of me when he walked on stage - and held my attention for long moments throughout the show. The hair may be gone but not the gifted talent. And I have to add that he is in remarkable physical shape (the man has a BODY) and is extremely attractive. What a total package!

thelastresort
09-07-2014, 12:10 PM
I have to admit that Bernie knocked the wind out of me when he walked on stage - and held my attention for long moments throughout the show.

It's been a long time since I've seen anyone look so comfortable playing a guitar - it doesn't even looks like he needs to concentrate half the time! He nailed the solos in PEF, Take It Easy and the bits and pieces in Lyin' Eyes. Hard to believe he'd spent just shy of 40 years out of the band and indeed out of the spotlight. I hope he sticks around (even if not in an official capacity) for whatever the band decides to embark on next.

cynd1231
09-07-2014, 12:27 PM
It's been a long time since I've seen anyone look so comfortable playing a guitar - it doesn't even looks like he needs to concentrate half the time! He nailed the solos in PEF, Take It Easy and the bits and pieces in Lyin' Eyes. Hard to believe he'd spent just shy of 40 years out of the band and indeed out of the spotlight. I hope he sticks around (even if not in an official capacity) for whatever the band decides to embark on next.

I was so impressed with his easy and grace & it's so obvious that he is thrilled to be back and part of such an incredible experience. And when he picked up his banjo for DD/D I thought I would cry! Sheer joy!

09-07-2014, 01:25 PM
As I posted earlier, I have to agree with both of you, tlr and cynd. I would love it if Bernie sticks around with the band in some capacity.

I've always had an immense appreciation for his talent, but I have gained a total new respect for him as I've witnessed what a class act he has become as he has come out of the shadows over the last couple of years. No doubt in my mind that he has aged very gracefully, indeed!

NightMistBlue
01-26-2015, 11:23 AM
[quote=Zanny;276675]On the ex eagle discussion- my first favorite is Randy. It really was not until seeing him in HOTE that I realized how truly good looking he was. Physically good looking for sure, but something about his inner nature seems to come through on his face as well. Peacefulness or a kindness? maybe? I don't know quite what it is.

I have thought the same thing many times after watching the HOTE. The full impact of his looks and talent kind of hit me like a "wow" moment. There are many good looking and talented men, but something about Randy, some intangible quality comes through. It is very attractive and endearing at the same time.

Vulnerability perhaps. A touch of the James Dean "wounded man-child" archetype that is so compelling - to me, anyway!

DJ
01-26-2015, 06:54 PM
Randy is so talented as a musician/singer and it doesn't hurt that he is gorgeous. I do think it's the vulnerability quality that attracts a lot of people to him at first sight. From what I've read about him he is very shy and gentle in nature aslo.:)

NightMistBlue
01-27-2015, 10:59 AM
A lot of people can relate to it as well. The first time I watched HOTE (only a little over a month ago! It caused me to become a full-on Eagles fan), it was striking how similarly Joe Walsh and Randy described their feelings at the height of the band's fame. Randy says something like, "I was basically terrified all the time." Joe felt the same but covered it up with humor, outrageous behavior and alcohol.

Hometown
03-14-2015, 10:37 PM
Hi, I am new to this message board. I live on a farm close to Scottsbluff Ne, the hometown of Randy Meisner. I remember watching him in the Dynamics back in the 60's. Needless to say, he is my favorite ex- Eagle. I had forgotten how much fun it used to be to drive by his home and imagine him writing/ performing in the studio in back of his home. Of course, that was about 35 years ago! Watching The History of the Eagles recently was indeed a blast from the past.

MaryCalifornia
03-15-2015, 02:08 AM
Welcome Hometown! You've come to the right place if you're a Randy fan!!

Hometown
03-19-2015, 10:27 AM
[1239this photo was on a Nebraska Music Hall of Fame website. Randy at his first rehearsal for his new group, The Dynamics. He was 14 at the time. Poor photo quality, but the earliest picture I could find of Randy playing in a band.

SilverAcidRayne
03-19-2015, 01:18 PM
call me strange... but since i'm just getting my feet wet with this band i have taken a liking to Bernie. even when i was watching history of the eagles i found myself attracted to him... i didnt even KNOW who he was.

very weird lol

NightMistBlue
03-19-2015, 02:47 PM
Is that Randy in the white shoes? It's so hard for me to recognize him in the very early photos. I think it's the short hair that throws me off. :)

Welcome, Hometown!

I read in an old (1975) issue of Rolling Stone that Randy lived in Mitchell, Nebraska. Is that the place where you would drive by?

Hometown
03-19-2015, 08:33 PM
Yea, that is Randy in the white shoes. And yes, my hometown is the Mitchell area. Randy lived north of Scottsbluff as a child, and bought an acreage in that area while playing with the Eagles. He eventually moved to Mitchell, although I am not sure what years. I remember going to a Mitchell high school basketball game once seeing his son play drums, so I believe that is where they attended school, at least high school.

VAisForEagleLovers
03-20-2015, 07:51 AM
call me strange... but since i'm just getting my feet wet with this band i have taken a liking to Bernie. even when i was watching history of the eagles i found myself attracted to him... i didnt even KNOW who he was.

very weird lol

Bernie is a very good guy! It's incredible to see him on tour with the guys, and he adds a lot to the experience.

NightMistBlue
03-20-2015, 11:04 AM
Hometown, that is so cool that you got to see the Drivin' Dynamics back in the day. I like their song "So Fine," it's adorable.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYbt9y2Uhq0

Hometown
03-20-2015, 04:18 PM
Thanks for the Youtube link. I had not seen those before. They were definitely The Band to hear in this area.

SilverAcidRayne
03-21-2015, 01:23 AM
Bernie is a very good guy! It's incredible to see him on tour with the guys, and he adds a lot to the experience.

oh absolutely... i guess its the strong silent type lol he rounds everyone out so to speak. a missing puzzle piece

AlreadyGone95
06-11-2015, 03:22 PM
Favorite ex member? Ugh, that's a tough one to pick. As I stated when I first joined, I love all 7 Eagles. (Some I love more than the others, but I do love them all). I love and respect what each member brought to the band. If I based my opinion on just the music aspect(leaving out personality), Don Felder would be my favorite ex Eagle because of his incredible guitar playing.
However, taking both music talents and personality into account, I'd go with Randy Meisner. I've loved TITTL since I was little. (It's the only Eagles 45 single I own atm). Randy, from the little I've seen of him (mostly from the documentary) comes across as a shy, down to earth guy.
Bernie Leadon is the guy I know the least about. I love his contributions to the band, but apart from that, I don't know anything about him, other than he was in the Flying Burrito brothers. (I've been meaning to check that band out)
As I stated earlier, Don Felder is my favorite from a musical standpoint. He's a top notch guitarist. He's probably my least favorite of the 7 Eagles(please don't shoot me Felder fans). There's just something about the guy that rubs me wrong, but I do love his guitar playing.

UndertheWire
06-12-2015, 11:21 AM
Bernie is still my favourite Ex-Eagle. I'm just listening again to a radio interview he gave (link in the press thread) in 2013. He sounds so straightforward and honest.

He has a good perspective, like telling his son he didn't regret leaving the band because if he'd stayed, he wouldn't have met his son's mother and his son wouldn't exist.

I'm also so impressed with how he handled live performances. He has such an easy charm when speaking to the audience and takes things like breaking a string in his stride. I may not be a big fan of bluegrass, but he's pretty amazing on that banjo.

Finally, Bernie is my favourite singer of the ex-members. He has one of those warm, relaxed voices, like Glenn.

randygirl13
10-19-2015, 12:47 AM
Randy will always be my favvie ex-Eagle!! I just wish he was in the tour with them!!! Randy is just so awesome!!

TW
01-24-2016, 03:54 PM
felder

TW
01-24-2016, 03:55 PM
sorry i'm not one for big explanations

3aglEs43Ve4
01-24-2016, 05:22 PM
Felder, obviously...duh!;-)

watchtower
01-25-2016, 08:47 PM
Felder! :rockon:

WS82Classics
01-25-2016, 11:40 PM
Bernie Leadon--Musical mastermind.

Tayeag1
02-04-2016, 12:13 PM
Randy and Bernie. Helped to create the best harmonies and vocals IMO. :heart:

buffyfan145
02-05-2016, 09:14 AM
For me it's Randy. :smile: "Take it to the Limit" is one of my favorite Eagles songs and I'm a writer and I have a perfect scene I wrote to that song years ago that I hope one day to use in one of my novels. I just haven't found the right story to put it in. Randy has such a great voice too and hitting those high notes in so many of their songs. His harmony parts always stuck out to me as well. I love Felder and Bernie too, but Randy for sure is my favorite of the exes.

Becky's Crush
02-06-2016, 02:21 AM
Randy all the way! Beautiful voice, gorgeous face (and hair), kind heart and sweet soul. Take it to the Limit live in '77 at the Capital Center - BEST!!!

wasl89
02-07-2016, 04:02 PM
It's still Randy.
His voice is just wonderful, and don't forget he really rocks the bass!
:rockguitar:

Olivia
02-12-2016, 12:01 PM
Randy all the way! Beautiful voice, gorgeous face (and hair), kind heart and sweet soul. Take it to the Limit live in '77 at the Capital Center - BEST!!!

I totally agree with you!!!

randysgirl
02-22-2016, 04:40 PM

You said it all BC!

Eagles7
06-16-2016, 01:40 PM
Well, I love all seven Eagles and appreciate what they each brought to the band, but my favorite...hello...Felder!

There are really too many reasons to list, but okay, I'll try:

Cutest and, might I add, sexiest Eagle. There's that long blond hair & full beard, those dreamy eyes (it took me a while to figure out why they grab you, but he actually has more white showing underneath his pupils that other people do), his full kissable lips, his beautiful smile and the way he freely showed it on stage to Joe, Glen, and others. It made him always look like the happiest Eagle on stage. He still loves to smile when he's playing or talking. I loved the way he and Joe would just let the music movie their bodies and show on their faces. Oh, and of course, he was and still is one of the best guitarists of all time and his contributions to move The Eagles way to another level were huge! Also, then and now, he just seems like a genuine, real guy, a very nice man who loves music and loves his fans. :rockguitar::heart::heart:

I haven't met him ( long range plan), but I did recently see one of his shows and thought he is still fantastic!

The Silk Scarf Monkey
06-26-2016, 09:46 AM
Got to be Don Felder for me, his guitar parts together with Joe are fabulous, but I got my Bernie and Randy moments too

ambulance girl
09-25-2016, 08:58 PM
Has to be Felder, although i can really appreciate Bernie's and Randy's talents and contributions. But Felder's guitar work is amazing...and he's easy on the eyes, lol

LovinGlennGirl
09-25-2016, 09:43 PM
Bernie, amazing musician and love his laid back attitude. He could be a little edgy, but mostly go with the flow.

Pippinwhite
08-29-2017, 11:19 PM
Guess my favorite ex-Eagle is Randy. I love his voice, and he does sing lead on my favorite Eagles song, "Take it to the Limit." And his bass playing was really inspired. Being cute as a bug doesn't hurt, either.

Funk 50
08-30-2017, 11:34 AM
Without Long Road Out Of Eden, I would also go with Randy but the last Eagles album tips the balance heavily towards Glenn. :smile:

groupie2686
08-30-2017, 11:41 AM
Glenn is an ex-Eagle...I suppose that's right, but wow, that feels wrong. In that case, Glenn is my favorite ex-Eagle, by a long shot. Apart from Glenn, my favorite ex-eagle is Randy.

Delilah
08-30-2017, 12:29 PM
Glenn is an ex-Eagle...I suppose that's right, but wow, that feels wrong. In that case, Glenn is my favorite ex-Eagle, by a long shot. Apart from Glenn, my favorite ex-eagle is Randy.

I know what you mean...something not quite right about it even though it's technically true.

I'm sure it will come as no surprise that Randy is my favorite Eagle, ex- or otherwise, although the others are great, too and appeal to me as well.

Pippinwhite
08-30-2017, 02:08 PM
I prefer to think of Glenn as Eagle Emeritus, rather than Ex...

Freypower
08-30-2017, 05:36 PM
I will never consider Glenn Frey to be an 'ex Eagle'. However I suppose it was only a matter of time before such a nauseatingly predictable claim was made.

LovinGlennGirl
08-30-2017, 08:45 PM
Glenn will NEVER be an ex anything to me.

Pippinwhite
08-30-2017, 10:48 PM
Me either

Dawn
09-02-2017, 10:18 PM
Glenn Frey didn't quit the Eagles nor was he fired.

He died.

In January 2016.

While many believed the Eagles could not and would not continue touring as the Eagles without Glenn Frey the band announced plans to co-headline two mega concerts in the summer of 2017 later adding a concert in the northwest in Sept and 5 mini concerts in the fall under the banner Eagles.

To compensate for the loss of Glenn Frey, the band hired Vince Gill and Deacon Frey who made their debut in Los Angleles for The Classic West and are on board for the remainer of 2017 tour.

I don't know how the band views Glenn Frey's status as an Eagle other than they all agree he's irreplaceable.

This is a question I'd like to ask Don Henley, Irving Azoff and the other Eagles family and friends.

New Kid In Town
09-02-2017, 10:35 PM
Dawn - Amen ......
I suspect they will all say the same thing they have said for the last 1 1/2 years. Do they really mean that now - who knows.

Pippinwhite
09-02-2017, 11:07 PM
You know, I saw an interview with Glenn, Tim and Joe from their Sydney HOTE tour. Something Glenn said stuck with me, thinking about the new tour, etc. The interviewer asked if this was their final tour and Glenn said something along the lines of the band itself -- the Eagles entity -- being much bigger than any one individual, and it kind of had a life of its own, that they -- the band members were "bit players in it". That's at 8:40.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rawmdPIUzM

Just an interesting tidbit. Good interview, though.

Freypower
09-03-2017, 01:04 AM
You know, I saw an interview with Glenn, Tim and Joe from their Sydney HOTE tour. Something Glenn said stuck with me, thinking about the new tour, etc. The interviewer asked if this was their final tour and Glenn said something along the lines of the band itself -- the Eagles entity -- being much bigger than any one individual, and it kind of had a life of its own, that they -- the band members were "bit players in it". That's at 8:40.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rawmdPIUzM

Just an interesting tidbit. Good interview, though.

He did not say it was bigger than any individual. He said it has a life of its own. Then he said the 'bit players' part. I loved the man but the suggestion that somehow he couldn't make his own decisions because he was consumed by this all powerful entity called 'Eagles' and he was somehow in thrall to it, is ludicrous. Rock bands consist of people. The name is not bigger than the people involved. I do realise that this is precisely the argument which the Remainers have used all along. I completely disagree with it. And in addition, he was not envisaging a situation where someone had died. We don't know what he would have done if he had been in Henley's position. We never will know, even though many people took it on themselves to assume he wished the band to continue.

I'm going to see The Musical Box next year, which is a Genesis tribute band. Am I going to say they are Genesis? Of course I'm not. I saw the Dire Straits Experience, which included two former members of Dire Straits. Were they Dire Straits without Mark Knopfler? Of course not. The difference is that they don't pretend to be what the current group of people calling itself Eagles do.

I don't care whether Henley, Walsh & Schmit now see Frey as an 'ex Eagle'. I do not.

Pippinwhite
09-03-2017, 01:51 AM
He did not say it was bigger than any individual. He said it has a life of its own. Then he said the 'bit players' part. I loved the man but the suggestion that somehow he couldn't make his own decisions because he was consumed by this all powerful entity called 'Eagles' and he was somehow in thrall to it, is ludicrous. Rock bands consist of people. The name is not bigger than the people involved. I do realise that this is precisely the argument which the Remainers have used all along. I completely disagree with it.

I'm going to see The Musical Box next year, which is a Genesis tribute band. Am I going to say they are Genesis? Of course I'm not. I saw the Dire Straits Experience, which included two former members of Dire Straits. Were they Dire Straits without Mark Knopfler? Of course not. The difference is that they don't pretend to be what the current group of people calling itself Eagles do.

I don't care whether Henley, Walsh & Schmit now see Frey as an 'ex Eagle'. I do not.

FP-- All due respect, but you're reading something into my words that I never said, never meant, never implied. I've NEVER said Glenn couldn't make his own decisions or anything of the kind. I never implied it or thought it in the least. I simply thought his words were an interesting reflection, and germane to the current conversation. They were also extremely poignant, considering he had less than a year to live.

I understand and respect your feelings and your position on the surviving Eagles touring as The Eagles. I'm certainly not going to tell you you're wrong. You're entitled to your feelings on it. I know many people agree with you.

I'm not sure how what I posted got turned around into me somehow saying that Glenn was incapable of making his own decisions, and I don't think you could find any comment I've made about him on this board has ever implied any such thing. I loved the man, too, and I don't know how the surviving guys would refer to him. I don't consider him an "ex" anything. He's still my favorite Eagle.

Dawn
09-03-2017, 01:02 PM
Following the death of Glenn Frey had Henley, TBS and JW not resumed performing and touring as the "Eagles" we wouldn't be having this discussion. No one would even imagine referring to Glenn Frey nor his bandmates Henley, TBS and JW as ex-Eagles. The clock would have stopped in January 2016 but not the history, the songs, the legacy of the band.

i do wonder if Henley, TBS and JW considered the consequences of their actions and how continuing to perform and tour using the Eagles name would ultimatley impact Glenn Frey and his legion of fans who can not and will not ever accept a substitute or multiple substitutes to fill the void left by his absence.

Truth be told the band had other options but purposely and willfully chose to go down this road all the while proclaiming they weren't replacing Glenn Frey rather they were honoring him by continuing the band he played such an integral/pivotal role in creating, naming and enabling to succeed.

Edited to add:

On it's face it would appear this strategy has bought the band a viable opportunity to trade on it's name while at the same time reinvent/reimagine itself with just one original member, two long time members TBS & JW, one sentimental favorite son and a heavy hitter in the industry with his own huge fanbase.

Fans aren't going to forget Glenn Frey that's certainly not the intent of the band but over time as they continue to perform as the Eagles minus Glenn Frey the light will fade and grow dimmer and dimmer.

My personal hope is after the fall tour they will take their final bow as the Eagles.

Freypower
09-03-2017, 06:38 PM
FP-- All due respect, but you're reading something into my words that I never said, never meant, never implied. I've NEVER said Glenn couldn't make his own decisions or anything of the kind. I never implied it or thought it in the least. I simply thought his words were an interesting reflection, and germane to the current conversation. They were also extremely poignant, considering he had less than a year to live.

I understand and respect your feelings and your position on the surviving Eagles touring as The Eagles. I'm certainly not going to tell you you're wrong. You're entitled to your feelings on it. I know many people agree with you.

I'm not sure how what I posted got turned around into me somehow saying that Glenn was incapable of making his own decisions, and I don't think you could find any comment I've made about him on this board has ever implied any such thing. I loved the man, too, and I don't know how the surviving guys would refer to him. I don't consider him an "ex" anything. He's still my favorite Eagle.

I was commenting on what Glenn said, not what you said. I just can't agree with this whoe 'the band is bigger than the members' stuff.

Dawn
09-04-2017, 04:21 AM
Dawn - Amen ......
I suspect they will all say the same thing they have said for the last 1 1/2 years. Do they really mean that now - who knows.

So true ... sigh ...

Glennsallnighter
09-04-2017, 04:56 AM

I would disagree with that totally. Glenn :heart: never chose to leave the Eagles nor was he let go. It was an unfortunate state of affairs that he died. But he sang in every Eagles show up to his death. This is not the same as parting company with the band voluntarily or otherwise. The Eagles are not the Eagles without Glenn :heart:

UndertheWire
09-05-2017, 05:49 AM
Does it really matter how Glenn is described by Funk50? Nothing will change that fact that he is no longer alive. Forgive me, but this recent discussion makes me think of the Parrot Sketch.

The intention of the thread was clear and should be to anyone who isn't trying to cause trouble. Which of Bernie Leadon, Randy Meisner and Don Felder is you favourite?

Mine is still Bernie and I prefer the recordings made when he was in the band. I also prefer the live sound of the bootlegs from that era. It was a big thrill to see him back with Glenn and Don during the HotE tour.

Pippinwhite
09-05-2017, 09:27 AM
UTW-- Yep on the Parrot Sketch.

I like Bernie, too. I love his voice. Gotta go with Randy as my favorite, but Bernie is a close second.

Dawn
09-05-2017, 12:58 PM
I can't choose a favorite between Randy, Bernie and Don F. Can I vote all three?

VillageGirl
09-07-2017, 04:46 PM
I'd have to go with Randy. Not to say that I don't adore Felder and Bernie as well, but I ha e a soft spot for Mr. Meisner :smitten:

New Kid In Town
09-08-2017, 11:27 AM
I would have to say Randy - he had such a beautiful voice. However, I also love Bernie's voice.

East Texas Girl
09-08-2017, 04:52 PM
I have got to say my favorite ex-Eagle is Randy!! Just in case no one has guessed that before...:wink: :smitten:

alabhaois
01-27-2018, 02:50 PM
Before I answer, please allow me to introduce myself:

I live in California and have loved the Eagles for quite some time-- and I am delighted to discover this online forum! 8)

To answer, I do-- two, actually: Don Felder and Randy Meisner

I recently read Felder's book AND saw History of the Eagles and I was surprised over all the discord which apparently was rampant. Nuff said there but I was drawn to Felder and Meisner because they seemed like normal, likeable people. Someone I would feel comfortable talking with and maybe even relating to on a personal level. Not to mention their remarkable abilities as musicians/singers.

One last thing: the Eagles had no "gimmicks"-- just top-notch songs/musicians/lyricists.

Thank you :grooving:

Dawn
01-27-2018, 11:25 PM
Welcome Alabhaois, Glad to have you on board!!

East Texas Girl
01-29-2018, 01:40 PM
Welcome aboard, alabhaois! Glad to have another Randy fan!

alabhaois
01-30-2018, 10:03 PM
Welcome Alabhaois, Glad to have you on board!!

Thank you, Dawn! I'm happy to be here 8)

alabhaois
01-30-2018, 10:04 PM
Welcome aboard, alabhaois! Glad to have another Randy fan!

I'm very partial to Randy-- I love his voice :inlove:

And he's so sweet and self-effacing

BerniesSurfboard
02-01-2018, 03:37 AM
It really depends on the day, but I tend to lean towards Randy these days.

02-01-2018, 02:11 PM
Well given your name, you surprised me a bit with this, BSb. But, welcome to The Border.

New Kid In Town
02-01-2018, 09:37 PM
Well given your name, you surprised me a bit with this, BSb. But, welcome to The Border.

LOL - I thought that Bernie would be his favorite too.

NightMistBlue
02-02-2018, 11:09 AM
That's a cool name though; might make a decent band name too!

BerniesSurfboard
02-02-2018, 11:51 AM
It's tough! They're all so talented.

cosec3791
03-11-2018, 07:03 AM
Felder without any doubt is my most favorite.

Annoying Twit
03-11-2018, 08:55 AM
Randy Meisner.

My My
03-11-2018, 11:44 AM
Randy Meisner, hands down. Hearing him sing TITTL live, in concert is one of my most treasured concert experiences. I love his harmonies, like a beautiful high melody on it's own. And learning more about Randy from HoTE and this board, it seems like his beautiful, gentle spirit matches his voice.

luciknight
03-11-2018, 01:31 PM
Randy, that's for sure.
But I also like Felder's talent... that man can play!

But Randy's voice beats everything :bow:

NightMistBlue
03-12-2018, 06:00 PM
Randy Meisner.

I knew you were alright. :cheers:

Annoying Twit
03-12-2018, 10:43 PM
I knew you were alright. :cheers:

:grooving:

EaglesFan86
11-27-2018, 04:17 PM
My favorite Ex-Eagle member is Don Felder

takeiteasy
11-27-2018, 04:56 PM
Yes, Don Felder forever :nahnah:

I've got my second guitar at last! But... now I'm a desperado...a desperate desperado? :dizzy:

Tony Trout
02-17-2019, 11:53 AM
I'd have to say that Felder & Meisner are two of my favorite ex-Eagles. I just like Felder as a guitarist and Randy, of course, was a person I knew of who had worked with another famous guy (Rick Nelson) as bassist for the first incarnation of The Stone Canyon Band in 1969. There's actually a release that has most of Rick's opening engagement at "The Troubadour" in '69 called, "Easy To Be Free."

Brooke
02-20-2019, 12:16 PM
I don't know if I ever replied to this thread so just in case, Randy was always my favorite ex-Eagle. He was right up there with Glenn and Don in the looks department and his voice and bass playing were wonderful! :smile:

Delilah
02-20-2019, 04:08 PM
I'd have to say that Felder & Meisner are two of my favorite ex-Eagles. I just like Felder as a guitarist and Randy, of course, was a person I knew of who had worked with another famous guy (Rick Nelson) as bassist for the first incarnation of The Stone Canyon Band in 1969. There's actually a release that has most of Rick's opening engagement at "The Troubadour" in '69 called, "Easy To Be Free."

Hi Tony, since it sounds like you are a fan of Rick Nelson, you may be interested in a thread about him and his band in Randy’s sub-forum. Here’s the link:

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?6994-Rick-Nelson-amp-The-Stone-Canyon-Band

Any contributions you may have are most welcome! It was such an interesting time for Randy and Rick in their musical careers.

COTiger
07-19-2020, 03:20 PM
Randy is my favorite ex Eagle and Take It To The Limit is my favorite Eagles song. How he hit those high notes at the end continues to amaze me.

Elle81
10-22-2020, 01:31 AM
my favorite ex-Eagle is Randy. He is such a cutie, with a gentle soul and voice that is a gift from the Rock Gods. When he hits those high notes on Take it to the limit, wowza!. It gives me chills every time I listen to it.