PDA

View Full Version : Solo Compilation CD

Ive always been a dreamer
01-13-2008, 10:41 PM
Over the holidays, I finally got around to making myself a compilation CD of all of my favorite Don solo songs. Since I already have the Actual Miles CD with his greatest hits, I only included songs that I liked that weren't on Actual Miles. I was wondering what songs you would include on your CD. Here's mine:

1. You Better Hang Up
2. Long Way Home
3. Nobody’s Business
4. Talking to the Moon
5. Them and Us
6. Lilah
7. You Can’t Make Love
8. Driving With Your Eyes Closed
9. How Bad Do You Want It
10. Little Tin God
11. If Dirt Were Dollars
12. Nobody Else In the World But You
13. Taking You Home
14. They’re Not Here, They’re Not Coming
15. Annabel
16. My Thanksgiving

DonFan
01-13-2008, 11:05 PM
Interesting choices, dreamer. You have included several Don songs that are my LEAST favorites, namely Them & Us, You Better Hang Up and If Dirt Were Dollars. While I appreciate the sentiment behind those songs, I don't really think they have stood the test of time as well as some of his others. In their place, I would add Miss Ghost, Goodbye to a River, & For My Wedding. Then I would add Come Rain or Come Shine, which I know he hasn't formally recorded, but I just love it.

I wholeheartedly agree with the rest of your choices.

sodascouts
01-13-2008, 11:22 PM
So, we're limiting this to songs that aren't on Actual Miles. Interesting!

In chronological order (except for soundtrack/guest songs at the end):

1. Long Way Home
2. Talking to the Moon
3. La Eile
4. Lilah
5. The Unclouded Day
6. You Can't Make Love
7. You're Not Drinking Enough
8. A Month of Sundays
9. Land of the Living
10. Taking You Home
11. For My Wedding
12. Miss Ghost
13. My Thanksgiving
14. Leather and Lace
15. Love Rules
16. Come Rain or Come Shine (this WAS officially recorded for the Leaving Las Vegas soundtrack, remember? So it counts!)

DonFan
01-13-2008, 11:34 PM
We can count duets, too?

Then I will add Leather & Lace, It's So Easy with Sheryl Crow, Break Each Other's Heart with Reba, and Inside Out with Trisha....and It's Not Easy Bein' Green with Kermit. :wink:

sodascouts
01-13-2008, 11:42 PM
Well, I know that on my MY "best of Don Henley" compilation that I made for the car, Leather and Lace is track No. 1!

katherine5832
01-13-2008, 11:51 PM
Updated: I just realized I originally included everything on my list, not just the non-Actual Miles songs. So, here's my adjusted list with only the songs that don't already appear on AM.

Great idea, dreamer. It's definitely much easier to create a list than to subtract from a list as we're doing in the Eagles Song Survivor thread!

Like Soda's, mine are in chronological order too with a few extras at the end:

1. Nobody's Business
2. Talking to the Moon
3. Lilah
4. The Unclouded Day
5. Man with a Mission
6. Building the Perfect Beast
7. A Month of Sundays
8. Taking You Home
9. Everything is Different Now
10 Workin' It
11. They're Not Here, They're Not Coming
12. Walkaway Joe
13. Leather and Lace
14. Hold On, I'm Coming w/ Steve Winwood from the All Star Garage Band
15. His cover of Tears for Fears's Everybody Wants to Rule the World (my biggest hope is that I get to see him perform this live someday - I nearly fell off my chair the first time I saw the clip on youtube. I'm so glad the complete audio file is available here. I just wish I could find the complete video clip of it. What a perfect combination - a great song and his great voice - sigh...) :fainted:

DonFan
01-14-2008, 12:11 AM
His cover of Tears for Fears's Everybody Wants to Rule the World (my biggest hope is that I get to see him perform this live someday - I nearly fell off my chair the first time I saw the clip on youtube. I'm so glad the complete audio file is available here. I just wish I could find the complete video clip of it. What a perfect combination - a great song and his great voice - sigh...) :fainted:

I saw him perform this song, and it IS wonderful. I like his version even better than the original.

I felt the way you did about I Will Not Go Quietly--I wanted to see him perform that song desperately. When I finally did see him sing it last summer, believe me, it was worth it! He completely rocked out. It was fantastic.

Maleah
01-14-2008, 01:42 AM

Is this recorded? :shock: If so i want it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol I've never seen the All Star Garage Band :( but when you listed this I became intrigued. Is it the same one by Sam & Dave (or something like that lol) or is it something different?

Ive always been a dreamer
01-14-2008, 01:36 PM
I just laughed when I looked at everybody's list and saw how different we all are. I guess that why we can never agree in the survivor games either. :wink: I do wish I had thought about putting Leather and Lace on mine though. I adore that song. The problem is that I'd probably have to cut one of the others to get it on one CD and I don't want to do that. :?

And OBTW DF - as far as some of the songs not standing the test of time, I can't agree with you there. You see, when you're my age, standing the test of time is a non-issue! :D :D :D

sodascouts
01-14-2008, 04:52 PM

Is this recorded? :shock: If so i want it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol I've never seen the All Star Garage Band :( but when you listed this I became intrigued. Is it the same one by Sam & Dave (or something like that lol) or is it something different?

It's not recorded that I'm aware of, but there's a video of it on DHO - just go here:

http://www.donhenleyonline.com/downloads/multimedialivevideo.htm

And scroll down to the solo section.

This is the video I took those screen shots off of in Henley Heaven recently.

Freypower
01-14-2008, 06:11 PM
1. I Can't Stand Still
2. Long Way Home
3. Nobody's Business
4. Talking To The Moon
5. Lilah
6. You're Not Drinking Enough
7. A Month Of Sundays
8. Little Tin God
9. If Dirt Were Dollars
10. Inside Job
11. Goodbye To A River
12. Damn It, Rose
13. Miss Ghost
14. Love Rules

Maleah
01-15-2008, 12:25 AM
It's not recorded that I'm aware of, but there's a video of it on DHO - just go here:

Cool! Thanks!

Perfect Little Sister
01-15-2008, 12:32 AM
We can count duets, too?

Then I will add Leather & Lace, It's So Easy with Sheryl Crow, Break Each Other's Heart with Reba, and Inside Out with Trisha....and It's Not Easy Bein' Green with Kermit. :wink:

You crack me up DF!! :lol:

Maleah
01-15-2008, 01:34 AM

I can't stop watching this video! I downloaded this song a while ago after I heard it on the radio (the version I have is by Sam & Dave). They do such an awesome job on it! I'm almost embarrassed to say that I don't know who this Steve Winwood guy is :blush: he's really good!

Brooke
01-15-2008, 04:30 PM
I'm almost embarrassed to say that I don't know who this Steve Winwood guy is :blush: he's really good!

He was a bit before your time, Maleah! In the 60's he was with the Spencer Davis Group and had a great song "Gimme Some Lovin'" He has a great voice. He was also with Traffic and they had a cool song "Dear Mr.Fantasy". You can check out clips of these on Amazon.

Later (88-90ish) he sang Higher Love, Back in the High Life, and Roll With It among others.

Here's more about him: http://www.rollingstone.com/artists/stevewinwood/biography

Maleah
01-16-2008, 12:25 AM
Thanks for the info Brooke! I'm gonna go check it out!

katherine5832
01-16-2008, 08:44 PM
I can't stop watching this video!

You too? :blush: It is awesome, isn't it?

Maleah
01-17-2008, 09:13 PM
Yes!! I LOVE it! I really liked that song even before I heard Don singing on it.....but now? Now I absolutely ADORE it! :D