PDA

View Full Version : Best Wishes Vince, for Classic Shows

Funk 50
07-15-2017, 08:14 AM
I'm always ready to balance out the Frey bias :twisted:

At this point, I'd say it's unlikely that I'll ever buy a Vince Gill record or attend one of his concerts but things may change. I carry a strong obligation to support all the Eagles.

I hope tonight, and the next couple of weeks, are new highs in Vince's long and illustrious career. I look forward to seeing Vince waving in relief, joy and triumph at the end of the show(s). And that goes for the rest of the band too :yay:

maryc2130
07-15-2017, 10:19 PM
Best wishes to Vince and all the guys!

Delilah
07-16-2017, 02:13 AM
Best belated wishes to Vince. He sounded great singing Lyin Eyes, IMO!

WalshFan88
07-16-2017, 02:25 AM
I'm always ready to balance out the Frey bias :twisted:

With all due respect F50, that line of thinking is very immature in the wake of GF's death, and his (IMO injust) replacement in the Eagles, the emoji just adds to what looks to be in very poor taste. I shouldn't be surprised because of your comments about him since his death that were posted just to purposefully either bait Glenn's fanbase or to maliciously go after their feelings. But really, I think you should leave the 5th grade mentality behind and move on regardless if you like Glenn or not or you don't like his fans here. It's in poor taste and shows a lack of maturity and I'd like to think you are above that. Maybe not. Maybe you just troll for the sake of trolling, but really, it's gotten to be pretty stale. Maybe you need a new forum or something but as a comedy fan might say, you need some new lines because you've worn this Frey bashing/GF fan bashing thing out.

I think the forum is pretty well rounded myself. There are plenty of DH, TBS, JW, DF, RM, and BL fans too. Perhaps it's just that the GF fans are more active posting or just you are looking for them. But this isn't just a GF forum. There's room for everybody here, as long as they don't act like you are doing above. ;)

Your best wishes thread would have been so much better served if you would have left out that first sentence and just said something nice towards Vince. Maybe then I could take it more seriously. But it just seems petty to me now.

UndertheWire
07-16-2017, 05:55 AM
Thanks for that Austin. You said what I was thinking but couldn't get straight.

I think everyone assumed Vince Gill would be fine, just as Don, Joe and Timothy would be fine.

New Kid In Town
07-16-2017, 04:25 PM
Funk - that post was so unnecessary. TY Austin.

WalshFan88
07-16-2017, 05:18 PM
Thanks for that Austin. You said what I was thinking but couldn't get straight.

I think everyone assumed Vince Gill would be fine, just as Don, Joe and Timothy would be fine.

Exactly. I mean I'm totally down with wishing Vince well, but he could have left that first sentence out, which was totally put there for the sake of trolling, and IMO, ruined his thread that could have been pretty positive. He needs to stop.

WalshFan88
07-16-2017, 05:21 PM
Funk - that post was so unnecessary. TY Austin.

No prob.

I just don't get it....ok, we get it you don't like Frey or his fans here. Move on. If it bothers you that much, find a new forum to cater to your (immature) needs. The people that see a Frey bias are looking for one, point blank. There are plenty of outspoken Henley fans here and fans of all of the guys throughout the history.

New Kid In Town
07-16-2017, 06:15 PM
Austin - Thank You again.
I think I can speak for all Glenn fans when I say our hearts were broken when he passed...... I do not wish ill on anyone. Just a wish for people to understand how we feel. Funk - is that so hard for you to understand that you have to rub it in like that ?

Pippinwhite
07-17-2017, 12:05 AM
The videos I've seen on YouTube confirmed a couple of things for me.

1. Deacon Frey has a really good voice. He doesn't really sound like Glenn (slightly deeper register), but he has a good voice that blends well with the other guys. He's also a very decent guitarist, which is what I would expect if his dad taught him to play.

2. Vince Gill can sing just about anything you ask him to. Now, I've loved Vince as a solo artist for years, but I think he's a good fit for the band, too. He's played in other pickup bands, and always adds to them. I've said it on other threads: he is a superlative musician, first and foremost. He's considered by both rock and country guitarists to be one of the best instrumentalists in either genre, and is at home playing either rock or country. I've heard him do both, and he knocks it out of the park every time. This, as much as anything, tells me why he got the call. He truly loves, respects, and appreciates the Eagles' music, he's appreciative of the opportunity, and quite simply, he has the musical chops to back it up. He and Glenn were friends, and I suspect if Glenn had any say in the matter, he'd say, "Yeah. Get Vince. He's better than I am." Because Glenn was ever generous to other great musicians. He respected great players.

When great bands add a member (even temporarily) who really isn't up to the musical demands of the role, that's when they go downhill. But that's not the case here. They're getting someone who's more than capable of dealing with the legacy of the music. He's done it in country and can do it here. He's in no way inferior; he's just not Glenn. No one ever will be. But that doesn't mean he can't be part of the band for a while and help keep this wonderful music alive.

I see this as The Eagles honoring Glenn and his legacy by adding the best of the best to the lineup. They didn't get just anyone; they got a musician who was Glenn's friend, had his respect, and the respect of his peers. Well done, good luck to the guys and safe travels on the road and to home.

Delilah
07-17-2017, 10:53 AM
What a thoughtful and insightful post, Pippinwhite. Thank you for bringing this thread back on track and about Vince. There's nothing wrong with wishing him well.

shunlvswx
07-17-2017, 11:33 AM
I was so proud of Vince. I don't think he was nervous since he's been doing this all his life. I had forgot to send best wishes to Vince for Saturday, but I will later this week.

Great post, Pippinwhite

Pippinwhite
07-17-2017, 11:43 AM
Thanks folks. :)