PDA

View Full Version : Deacon and the Future

buffyfan145
07-21-2017, 09:33 PM
Feel free to move or merge if this isn't the right place for this but after seeing the vids of Deacon performing at Classic West and being amazed with how great he was (as was pretty much everyone) it got me wondering about his future music career. It all depends on what he and the band decide to do next but I do hope they're thinking about how this could be a stepping stone for Deacon as a solo artist or if he creates his own band. I think I remember Glenn mentioning in a interview before that Deacon wanted to pursue a music career so it's got me wondering if he does what genre he'll go into. We've seen and heard him do Eagles songs but rock like that and a lot like classic rock doesn't exist anymore. In my opinion his best bets are going into country or alternative rock, as both those genres have their own subgenres of country-rock. I'm hoping the best for him and he's got a bright future ahead and I'm excited for him.

UndertheWire
07-22-2017, 08:03 AM
It's hard to tell what his talents are. He has stage presence and the ability to blend in with people forty years older than him. He can sing and play but doesn't seem that distinctive (not that that was what was required for the Classic shows). He's tall, dark and handsome which is never a bad thing.

If his aim is to be famous and play to large crowds, then he could aim for the ex-boy band niche, although he starts without the in-built fandom. However, he does have access to the right management and contacts within the industry.

New Kid In Town
07-22-2017, 08:43 AM
Good topic Buffy. UTW, as you said, we know he can sing and play. Deacon fits all the other requirements as well. I can't imagine anyone but Irving representing him so he can check that off too. I guess he can take this as far as he wants at this stage. I think a lot may depend on whether they plan on touring(cough,cough) after the East Festival.
He did Glenn and Cindy proud last Saturday showing a lot of grace and cool presence on stage. I would guess he was probably a nervous wreck having never played before 59,000 people before. I did notice in the videos that Don kept coming up to him between songs and talking to him. Perhaps calming his nerves.

PS - I saw one of Deacon's Social media accounts that were public a few years ago. His choice of music was modern, but I am sure having Glenn as his Dad he has a appreciation for all music. I know after he graduated from college he attended school to study music production/engineering.

Annoying Twit
07-22-2017, 09:17 AM
Well, it's interesting to watch the videos now that it's happened. It was an interesting, and I think appropriate, approach to use both Vince Gill and Deacon.

I'm reminded of Dweezil Zappa, who divides himself being writing and recording his own music, but also playing his father's music.

If Eagles do continue with Deacon, then I'm sure that Deacon will become more relaxed in the role and improve, as Dweezil Zappa has. I wonder if Deacon writes his own music and will do his own stuff too.

buffyfan145
07-22-2017, 10:40 AM
I've been thinking about this since seeing the vids and those two genres I am a fan of. I personally think country might be a better fit with how country music has changed so much and includes all different kinds of music influences. Plus, there's already been a lot of legacy between families in that genre. It actually made me think of more current country artist Thomas Rhett, who is actually the son of country singer-songwriter Rhett Akins (whose real name is Thomas Rhett Akins, Sr). Thomas has a huge following (including us younger women) and I've seen him in concert and am a fan myself. My Mom loves him too and loved his dad, which I remember watching CMT in the 90s with her and Rhett getting interviewed with little TR, as he was known back then, running around. LOL A lot of the younger male country singers tend to have a younger fanbase, but I know a lot of people who still listen to country that are Eagles fans including my parents.

I don't know if Irving manages country artists but I know Joe has been working a lot with country acts lately like Keith Urban and Brad Paisley, who are known for being guitarists too. So part of me feels Deacon might go into country more than alt-rock, but Kings of Leon are more Southern rock and are considered alternative too. But I do remember seeing a comment from Glenn saying Deacon was writing songs too.

Delilah
07-22-2017, 10:42 AM
Hi AT, it's nice to see you back! Since you watched the videos are you convinced yet this is happening or are you still waiting for word from Henley? :D Lol, I hope you don't mind me teasing you...I know you were skeptical about this ever taking place.

I had the same thoughts as AT about whether Deacon is a songwriter. In the latest interview posted in Henley's forum, the reporter suggests that Don's son Will could eventually take his Dad's place in the Eagles. I don't know how well Deacon and Will know each other given the "estranged" relationship between their fathers but I would think they are at least casual acquaintances. It's a long shot but it's a possibility.

I don't think Deacon is quite ready to go out on his own yet. He does have stage presence. His vocals are solid with a nice tone. His voice lost pitch at times, at least from what I heard in the video clips. He may need to work on that, the way Glenn worked on his voice to get it right. I hope he doesn't take a cue from his peers and rely on auto tune.

I think he has a lot of potential. Right now I see him staying in a group. As far as genre it's hard to say b/c so little is known about his musical influences outside his father; probably alt-rock or indie singer-songwriter type of music.

And great idea for a thread topic, Buffyfan. I'm hoping the best for him as well.

EDIT: I just read Buffy's latest post. Does anyone know how old Irving is? He could retire soon or at least stop taking on new clients. Although I can see him making an exception for Glenn's son.

UndertheWire
07-22-2017, 11:42 AM
Irving Azoff must be around 70, but he's not the only Azoff in town. I knew that Jeffrey Azoff managed Harry Styles but I'd missed this latest merger:
http://www.billboard.com/articles/business/7668991/music-managers-irving-jeffrey-azoff-brandon-creed-merge

And welcome back, AT.

New Kid In Town
07-22-2017, 11:46 AM
Interesting posts from everyone ! :applause:
Irving will be 70 in December.
Thanks for the article. Sounds like Irving is setting up his son to take his place. Who ever thought the scruffy unknown guy from the 70's would become one of the most powerful people in the music business. Glenn and Don made a smart move when they hocked up with Irving in 1974 after Geffen sold Asylum and gave up managing the Eagles.

LuvTim
07-22-2017, 12:46 PM
Yes, interesting posts from everyone! I'm enjoying reading all of them!

BTW, good to see you back, AT! :)

Annoying Twit
07-22-2017, 01:59 PM
Hi all.

Having read some of your posts, I see that I'm even further out of the loop than I thought. I have to go and read more before I can contribute opinions on what is likely to happen, etc.

I've been rather busy, and <Sgt. Schultz Voice>I know nothing!</Sgt. Schultz Voice>.

EDIT: Having re-read the thread and elsewhere, it's going to come down to songwriting. There are lots of sons/daughters of famous musicians who have moderate music careers, but few seem to hit the really big time. (Jean-Michel Jarre is the best example I can think of - and he definitely found his own niche rather than followed directly in his father's footsteps.)

Having seen the earlier clips of Deacon from years ago, I wondered how he'd perform at the concert. But, from the clips I've seen, he did a good job. I think having Vince Gill there took some pressure off him. If the rest of Eagles (Don's call really) wanted to continue, then I could imagine Deacon growing into the role.

If Deacon wants his own career, then things get complex. If he was an unknown with no connections, then he'd have to learn his art over years getting better and better until he comes up with the goods. E.g. his father listening to Jackson Browne writing songs and going 'aha! that's how you do it.' But, Deacon is Deacon Frey, and if he wants to make an album then he's going to be able to do it, and it'll get promoted. Hence, unless he has considerable focus, there may not (Note: 'may not') be the motivation to really refine his songwriting art.

Having thought about this a bit, I think that James McCartney might be a comparable example. There are some songs that James writes that show some real songwriting potential and an original style, e.g. 'Else And Else But Dead'. But, I find most of his songs a bit generic. It could be just a matter of taste, but I think myself that he needs to work on his songwriting more. But, he's James McCartney, so if he wants to release an album then he can. And many of his Dad's fans will listen to it - so there's some automatic exposure there. Googling while writing this post I found that James released an album in 2016 that I didn't know about - but listening to it on Spotify it's similar, IMHO, to his previous work. The songs are OK, nothing wrong with them. But, most don't stand out. 'Waterfall' sounds better and shows potential.

Coming back to Deacon - if he wants to release an album, then he'll be able to. And many of us and other Eagles/Glenn fans will listen to it. But, will being the son of a really famous musician mean that he can record and release an album before he's had enough 'hungry' period to really develop himself as an artist?

I'm not saying that anything I've written above is fact; it's not even really my opinion. I'm just thinking about children of famous musicians and wondering how things really work for them. Thinking out loud.

I can't say more as I've never heard a song that Deacon has written.

buffyfan145
07-22-2017, 04:36 PM
Welcome back AT. That's a good point about songwriting since we don't know yet if he does. However, I know a lot of other musicians, especially in the country genre that don't write their own songs but pair up with other song-writers that do. I forgot Lee Ann Womack's daughter Aubriee Sellers is out now too and I've actually heard her played on country radio as well as Thomas Rhett.

In Deacon's case I do feel a bit like history is repeating itself as I feel Dhani Harrison, George Harrison's son, went through a lot of similar stuff and where he is now as a musician. He too debuted during a concert in tribute of his dad and resembling his dad. However, I know Dhani had a hard time trying to do his own music after this and it was hard on him being compared so much to his dad. He only just within the past 4 years has started singing his father's music again and talking about his dad. Dhani is very talented though and I loved his bands Thenewno2 and Fistful of Mercy. He's also done scoring for films and TV shows lately and just announced his first solo album is coming out in October so a lot of good has been happening for him.

So I'm hoping things go well for Deacon if/when he starts his own career. He's got so many connections and people to help him out.

maryc2130
07-22-2017, 06:37 PM
Depending on Deacon's musical taste, maybe Don and/or Joe will write some music with him. That would be a great learning experience and an excellent kick-off to his career!

Dawn
07-22-2017, 08:26 PM
Interesting posts from everyone ! :applause:
Irving will be 70 in December.
Thanks for the article. Sounds like Irving is setting up his son to take his place. Who ever thought the scruffy unknown guy from the 70's would become one of the most powerful people in the music business. Glenn and Don made a smart move when they hocked up with Irving in 1974 after Geffen sold Asylum and gave up managing the Eagles.

Yep, it is interesting how things turned out at the end of the day the music biz is a small world and Azoff was in the rignt place at the right time just like Glenn, Don H, Don F, Randy and Bernie. That being said other equally deserving and talented people of the same time period were passed by and/or failed to flourish for one reason or another. I think Azoff could very well have been the key that opened the door to the Eagles phenonomenal success over the past 4 plus decades.

This is a very good article about Irving Azoff ...aka the Jewish Dennis the Menace - Glenn Frey

http://www.theuncool.com/journalism/rs267-irving-azoff/

Annoying Twit
07-23-2017, 03:19 AM
@buffyfan145 I wasn't aware of Dhani Harrison's forthcoming album. I've heard the sample track (plus excerpt) and it's interesting. I'll look forward to hearing the full album when it is released.

I see the point of country artists often not writing their own songs. I guess that Azoff could rope in top country songwriters, producers, musicians, for Deacon, and pretty much guarantee success.

@mary - Tim too!

@Dawn - who would you say were the equally talented people who were passed over for success in comparison to Eagles members?

sodascouts
07-24-2017, 06:24 PM
I wasn't aware Deacon wanted to pursue a musical career before all this happened. I know he dabbled when he was younger, but did he want to pursue it seriously when he was older? I thought he had gone into the engineering/production side, although I suppose one could do both.

It's important to note, though, that just because he got enlisted for this doesn't mean he was necessarily planning on being a recording artist.

But that was then, and this is now.

He doesn't have to be a songwriter to make it work. Nowadays, you can just have other people writing songs for you. He has a strong voice, but even if he didn't, there's autotune, and a person can fudge it live to a degree as long as that person has stage presence. He's got connections. He's good-looking. While he's somewhat rough now onstage, he's already doing well, and he'll become more comfortable and polished over time.

He's got a special problem, though. Most people start at the bottom and work their way up - even the kids of rock stars don't start out playing arenas. Because he's been thrust into his father's position at the top at the very beginning and apparently is now going to spend years there, how is he going to adapt to what happens after?

The only way to deal with that is to have such a passion for what you do that it doesn't matter.

Does he have that passion?

Time will tell.

If he does choose to become a recording artist, country is indeed more friendly towards the songwriting-by-committee approach. He doesn't really have a country timbre in my opinion, though, but modern country is quite broad, so who knows. After all, weren't the Eagles marketing themselves as country a few years ago?

Wishing him the best whatever he chooses.

New Kid In Town
07-24-2017, 06:45 PM
Last year Deacon attended school studying production/engineering. I had also assumed he wanted to work in that end of the business. Deacon is talented, good looking, and has all the contacts to pursue any kind of musical career he wants. I just hope he pursues HIS dreams and not what other people expect of him. I'm sure Glenn (and Cindy) want him to do what he wants to do and what will make him happy. I see this as a temporary gig.

buffyfan145
07-24-2017, 08:56 PM
I did see from the Eagles FL FB page that interview Irving did with Sirius/XM before the West show he mentioned how Glenn used to talk about Deacon going into music and joking that even though Deacon looked better than him (Glenn) he still didn't write as good as him. LOL :) So I take it Deacon's been wanting to but no one was expecting how this would all turn out. And of course now with the other shows being announced he'll be with the band for awhile so this will be farther off in the future. But like we know with most musicians once you get the taste of it it's hard to quit.

maryc2130
07-24-2017, 09:42 PM
I hope that that wherever Glenn Frey is that he is aware that there are lots of people still pulling for his band and his son.

Agreed.

WalshFan88
07-24-2017, 09:54 PM
As I've said in other threads, I would hope for Deacon to use this experience to propel him into the spotlight so that he can build his own career rather than ride on his dad's coattails, or be coerced into trying to fit his image by Irving.

Deacon IS talented, and I personally would like to see him do something in music, but not necessarily be a caricature of his Dad for the rest of his life. There was and is only one Glenn Frey, that sounds like him, has the immense talent. And sadly he is gone. Deacon is Deacon, Vince is Vince. And that's ok, but IMO not so much when you make them or they try to be Glenn, because they're not.

It would be lovely if somehow he formed a band on the side with some age-appropriate members and played music they want to play, maybe create some originals, or whatnot and for them to get traction in the music industry via using the Eagles as a big megaphone and help Deacon get heard by the masses.

If writing isn't his thing, there is certainly room for him in the Nashville world where you don't write your own songs and nowadays if you are slightly pitchy, can be corrected with AutoTune at the front of house or in the recording studio. Modern country IS very broad, you have Lynyrd Skynyrd swampy southern rock types, EDM/Pop/RnB sounding artists, more traditional swinging twangy singers, and even some that are doing Rap/Hip-hop influenced music. There is a big net in Nashville. The traditional swinging side is getting less and less. I like most modern country, especially the classic rock throwback sounding stuff. He certainly could have a place there if he proves to do well with the guys and gets traction.

Dawn
07-25-2017, 01:52 PM
As I've said in other threads, I would hope for Deacon to use this experience to propel him into the spotlight so that he can build his own career rather than ride on his dad's coattails, or be coerced into trying to fit his image by Irving.

Deacon IS talented, and I personally would like to see him do something in music, but not necessarily be a caricature of his Dad for the rest of his life. There was and is only one Glenn Frey, that sounds like him, has the immense talent. And sadly he is gone. Deacon is Deacon, Vince is Vince. And that's ok, but IMO not so much when you make them or they try to be Glenn, because they're not.

It would be lovely if somehow he formed a band on the side with some age-appropriate members and played music they want to play, maybe create some originals, or whatnot and for them to get traction in the music industry via using the Eagles as a big megaphone and help Deacon get heard by the masses.

If writing isn't his thing, there is certainly room for him in the Nashville world where you don't write your own songs and nowadays if you are slightly pitchy, can be corrected with AutoTune at the front of house or in the recording studio. Modern country IS very broad, you have Lynyrd Skynyrd swampy southern rock types, EDM/Pop/RnB sounding artists, more traditional swinging twangy singers, and even some that are doing Rap/Hip-hop influenced music. There is a big net in Nashville. The traditional swinging side is getting less and less. I like most modern country, especially the classic rock throwback sounding stuff. He certainly could have a place there if he proves to do well with the guys and gets traction.

I agree.

Personally, I think Deacon should be wary of compromising his own identity as time progresses and he becomes more entrenched. There are other options.

Brooke
07-25-2017, 03:51 PM
I agree. I wish Deacon all the best, but if he wants to go into the music business, I hope he can find his own place. Not as a stand-in for his dad.

WalshFan88
07-26-2017, 02:04 AM
"Riding on coattails?" I am glad that he is Glenn's son or there is no telling what would be said about him.

:jawdrop:

I am happy he did so well and if that's what he wants to do from now on, I am all in. I am proud of him. I would love to hear new music from them in the future. I support the band.

This is still an Eagles site, right?

There is definitely a difference of opinion here.

"This is still an Eagles site, right?". Yes, but we are going to disagree on calling the new lineup "Eagles". Because to me it's not even close without Glenn.

Regardless, there is STILL a forum here for those who would like to discuss the new band, and I (and I think most) try to stay out of the anticipation and review threads when people are looking forward to it or sharing their experience, but in other threads, there is going to be disagreements and dialogue, there just is. I don't think it's right for those of you who like the new band to be kept from discussing it, but I also don't think those of us who are very much against it should just keep quiet because it's still "Eagles" and Deacon is involved.

If you thought what I said about Deacon was bad, I'm sorry. I think if anything, it's becoming harder and harder to try and discuss what we believe in without people getting upset. We're all biased, and we all have a place here IF we can do so without beating each other up for sharing what we feel about this very polarizing part of the band's history. Maybe there will be two separate sections on New and Classic Eagles, to keep everyone happy. Certainly not telling Soda what to do, but I really wish that both sides can share our pleasure or distaste freely.

What grinds my gears is when one side tries to silence the other. That's not cool.

Annoying Twit
07-26-2017, 04:27 AM
I think that a number of children of famous musicians have found a balance between keeping their parent's legacy alive, and having their own career. Dweezil Zappa does both concerts of his father's music, but also releases his own albums in his own style. Dhani Harrison participates in 'George-fests', but again releases his own music in his own style. Deacon has been catapulted into the limelight, but that doesn't mean that he is limited to only working as a tribute to his father. He could do both - if he wants to.

UndertheWire
07-26-2017, 05:59 AM
I enjoy reading about the music industry and speculating about what might happen, but I'm doing it as an outsider. I don't really know what it takes to be a success or what the risks are.

Deacon Frey has grown up in that world. Undoubtedly, he's been backstage and mixed with rocks stars, sidemen and crew. He's grown up with a father who was very knowledgable and smart about the music industry and he's also had Irving Azoff in his life since he was a baby. People who are close to them, talk about the "Eagles family" (I was just rereading Joe Vitale on the subject) and Deacon is part of and protected by that.

I know very little about Deacon. He's been kept out of the limelight, mostly, up until now. His brief forays have been when performing with is father. He hasn't gone the way of using his father's reputation to get exposure through reality tv. I don't have a clue if he has his own band an goes out to play clubs at weekends, but just because I don't know doesn't mean he doesn't do something. If he's been doing a course on music production, then doesn't that show a serious interest in being part of music industry? Many musicians are producers and vice versa. I'm not going to dismiss his talents just because I don't know what they are.

The "Eagles" gig is huge in terms of reputation but, now he's learned his parts, possibly not that time-consuming. Four shows in four months would allow time for other projects.

WalshFan88
07-26-2017, 07:30 AM
Silence you? No. Trying to reason with you is more like it. Just let me ask you this: Do you think Glenn would be happy with what is being said here? Just consider it.

Some are really upset that Glenn is gone and the band didn't quit. I get it. I can even understand it somewhat, but some of these posts are bordering on bitterness. That's just my opinion.

I really hope Deacon or Cindy doesn't read any of this.

You make it sound like I called him the devil or something, redstorm. The coattails thing means I would like him (and hopefully he'd be on board) to move away from being in his dad's shadow for the rest of his life. Not only for his well being of having his own identity, but yes also because it's a bit weird to start at the top and just be put into that position and not have to do much work to get there, and yeah that bothers me some. I'd like to think that Glenn would also like to see his son do his own thing at some point and not be forced to play his roles. It's not that I care so much about what HE wants to do, as Don and Irving want him to do. I would like to think Deacon will be able to say when he's done with it.

I feel the same way about Vince, as far as the second part of that statement. Vince has contributed nothing to the history of this band and now all of a sudden it's like people see him as an equal to DH or JW or TBS, and that's just silly. Call me back when he's made records with them that sold successfully and made hit music and contributed to the extent Don or Glenn has, not just singing the hits that Glenn Frey and Don Henley and others have put the work into and just sit back and reap the benefits and money when it isn't even your own gig, where this is like a side job. I just don't respect him in the Eagles the way I do Don or the others. As a solo artist, you betcha. Talented guy. Not Eagles. Just my thoughts.

Reasoning with me, sounds an awful lot like trying to get me to just agree that this new Eagles is just amazing to some degree be it verbatim how I described it, or some lesser form, and I'm afraid we'll just never see eye to eye there. Sorry. You will never get me to see that it's ok for the band to continue under any circumstance or that it is ok for money to overcome doing IMO the right thing. What you could get me to "reason on", is the fact that Glenn would have wanted it this way. Maybe he did. My gut says otherwise but I'm not saying I knew Glenn. I DO think he'd be proud of Deacon regardless if he wanted it to continue or not. And he should be, Deacon is very talented and did a good job. Even I'll admit it. But the fact is, even if Glenn did want it, it just doesn't feel right to me. At all.

Let me just say it this way, if I really thought anything I've said would be so out of character and mean about Glenn's son, I wouldn't have said it. But I refuse to be zipped lipped when I see people pretending like it's no big deal and that this is somehow a great thing, and maybe even better or that Vince is an equal or an "Eagle". I'm sorry, but no. If that makes me bitter, then it's just another badge.

buffyfan145
07-26-2017, 10:29 AM
I agree with you AT and UTW. It does seem like from what I've read about Deacon he has been wanting to do something in the music industry for quite some time. I too hope the best for him and if/when he does go out on his own. There are quite a few examples that we've seen of children of famous musicians, actors, directors, and athletes make it on their own. He does have a lot of help if he wants it. That's why I feel country music might be a better fit too with the songwriters a lot use and how a lot of families are in the business, and how the Eagles are such a huge influence on modern country music.

sodascouts
07-26-2017, 10:36 AM
I really hope Deacon or Cindy doesn't read any of this.

Deacon is a man, not a child.

This is an Eagles board and we are typically gentle when talking about Deacon. People have been almost universally positive and even the negatives are soft. That is not always the case elsewhere on the internet when people talk about him. Some comments are positive, some aren't... which is perfectly normal. That's how it works.

I'm sure he knew that he wasn't going to get universally adored going in and was prepared for it. He is a public figure now.

Delilah
07-26-2017, 11:42 AM
I feel the same way about Vince, as far as the second part of that statement. Vince has contributed nothing to the history of this band and now all of a sudden it's like people see him as an equal to DH or JW or TBS, and that's just silly. ,

Vince sang "I Can't Tell You Why" on the Common Threads album, which went triple platinum, spun off a video and re-ignited the Eagles into reforming in 1994. So he did contribute something, it may not be much in the grand scheme of things but that album is part of Eagles history. Whether or not he is "equal" to the remaining Eagles (whatever that means) is a matter of personal preference and opinion.

There have been disagreements for sure, but I haven't seen anyone trying to "silence" anyone else; however there was a comment on Eagles 3.0 to the effect of "if you don't like what you read here, don't come here" which comes close.

sodascouts
07-26-2017, 11:48 AM
I created a new thread for people to discuss how they feel about Vince Gill in this forum, if people would like to do so.

Anyway, I think it's safe to say that everyone here wants Deacon to do what makes him happy and wishes him success.

sodascouts
07-26-2017, 12:04 PM
There are quite a few examples that we've seen of children of famous musicians, actors, directors, and athletes make it on their own. He does have a lot of help if he wants it. That's why I feel country music might be a better fit too with the songwriters a lot use and how a lot of families are in the business, and how the Eagles are such a huge influence on modern country music.

To combine these ideas - are there sons / children of country musicians who have had success? I remember Hank Williams Jr, but that's way back. Crystal Gayle was Loretta Lynn's sister, but again, way back.... and not really a daughter... but my knowledge of country music is spotty. I've listened to it here and there.

Delilah
07-26-2017, 12:24 PM
To combine these ideas - are there sons / children of country musicians who have had success? I remember Hank Williams Jr, but that's way back. Crystal Gayle was Loretta Lynn's sister, but again, way back.... and not really a daughter... but my knowledge of country music is spotty. I've listened to it here and there.

These come to mind...I'll have to think about it some more.

Rosanne Cash (Johnny Cash)
Carlene Carter (June Carter)
Shelley West (Dottie West)
and of course there's Miley Cyrus (Billy Ray Cyrus)...

shunlvswx
07-26-2017, 12:31 PM
Thomas Rhett is the son of Rhett Akins. I think he became more popular than his father. I remembered when his father came out in the 90s.

Hillary Scott of Lady Antebellum is the daughter of Linda Davis. If you remembered the song Does He Love You, she's the lady that sings with Reba.

sodascouts
07-26-2017, 12:44 PM
Oh man, that's right, Miley Cyrus.... how could I forget!

Shun, I didn't know that about Lady Antebellum.

I just remembered one from my Fleetwood Mac fandom. Billy Burnette, who was in Fleetwood Mac from 1988-1995, was the son of Dorsey Burnette. Dorsey Burnette wasn't that successful himself, but he was was a recording artist in Nashville with The Burnette Brothers and also released several singles solo. Stevie explicitly said in an interview that Billy first came to her attention because of his "country roots" so there you go.

chaim
07-26-2017, 12:52 PM
I still find this notion that one should love and support everything a band does in order to participate in a discussion forum very bizarre. I get it in a subforum about an individual member (me and my Felder rants as an example), but even the band discussion?

sodascouts
07-26-2017, 01:35 PM
Well, I'm trying to keep this thread on topic here - about Deacon and the future - not about message board culture and some people's attitudes towards discussion.

I know the topic does intermingle with your post to a degree, though. What I said earlier basically sounds like nothing even remotely negative could ever be said about Deacon here, which contradicts my statement that it's perfectly normal that not everyone would be into him. I didn't mean it to sound that way, and I don't want to censor opinions about Deacon.

I just think, overall, this thread isn't the place to get into that discussion at length. Let's keep it tightly focused on Deacon and speculation about future projects.

New Kid In Town
07-26-2017, 02:35 PM
Perhaps I missed something but I have not read one mean, nasty, rude or cruel comment regarding Deacon. In fact all the comments I have seen have been nothing but praise for him, saying how talented he is and wishing him nothing but good luck. Just because someone says they hope he makes/finds his own path in the music business is not mean or nasty.
I would not have any problem with Cindy or Deacon reading this form. Comment regarding Deacon have all been positive and kind. In addition, there are numerous forms here discussing people's love for Glenn and how much he means to them. I would venture a guess when Deacon(and Don, Joe, Tim & Irving) decided to move forward with this venture they knew there would be some criticism regarding this. That is part of the music business and certainly something this band is used to.
We all wish nothing but success and happiness for Deacon. He is a very talented young man with a bright future ahead of him. I would guess he learned from Glenn how hard the music business can be. I think whatever he chooses he will do fine.

NOTE : I would not be surprised if staff people for the Eagles or even some of their kids have come here and glanced/read thru these threads.

buffyfan145
07-26-2017, 04:47 PM
There's more current country artists that are children or related to other acts as well as those mentioned. I posted about Thomas Rhett and his dad as well as Lee Ann Womack's daughter Aubree Sellers, but I know Alan Jackson's nephew is Rory Feek who was part of the duo Joey + Rory with his wife, and Joey passed away tragically last year too. There was also Pam Tillis and her dad Mel. It's one of the main genres in music I've seen with a lot being related.

I too didn't realize that about Hillary from Lady Antebellum and I'm a fan, even though I knew her family did a Gospel album recently. LOL but now I can totally see a resemblance Linda.

shunlvswx
07-26-2017, 06:02 PM
I forgot about Pam Tillis. Lorreta Lynn's twin daughters followed in her mother's footsteps but they weren't big like their mother. I didn't know Rory was related to Alan Jackson.

You also have Lorrie Morgan who's father is George Morgan.

Sometimes but all the time, you get bigger than your parents.

WalshFan88
07-26-2017, 07:27 PM
Perhaps I missed something but I have not read one mean, nasty, rude or cruel comment regarding Deacon.

Me neither NKIT. Glad to know I'm not alone.

travlnman2
07-26-2017, 07:29 PM
Deacon go for it :) just dont get Irving to manage you

Here is why

http://deadline.com/2009/06/irving-azoff-gets-golden-coffin-and-more-9684/

http://fortune.com/2016/05/12/irving-azoff-youtube/

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/958191/axl-rose-slams-irving-azoff-in-5-million-countersuit

WalshFan88
07-26-2017, 07:32 PM
Thomas Rhett is DEFINITELY bigger than Rhett Akins. Rhett had one hit song "That Ain't My Truck". But Rhett Akins now focuses on songwriting with his friends Ben Hayslip and Dallas Davidson and has written a slew of number one hits now. They call their songwriting group "The Peach Pickers" and they open for Luke Bryan on his annual Farm Tour (where Luke plays big farms around the US) and play covers of all the songs they wrote, except the ones Luke sings, obviously.

I'm a huge Thomas Rhett fan. His latest record is really good.

Annoying Twit
07-27-2017, 04:12 AM
In terms of children of famous musicians, I'm now checking out Simon Collins, son of Phil Collins. His music isn't the same style as his father, but the album I'm listening to (U Catastrophe) is IMHO more interesting than anything his father has done since his first few solo albums. Much heavier style.

Still, like a lot of music. I find it's OK. But, it doesn't have that something extra that makes me want to buy it. However, I bought a Jakob Dylan solo album.

The Simon Collins album is very well arranged, performed, and arranged. It's very competently written. I can imagine Nine Inch Nails fans enjoying it a lot. But, for me, it lacks that spark somehow. This, for me, is common in the music of many famous children.

On the other hand, I haven't listened to this album in full yet. So, there could be some standout tracks coming up.

Funk 50
07-27-2017, 06:59 AM
Initially I thought Deacon's inclusion was a, the heart ruling the head, decision but I can't think of anybody who definitely would have done a better job than him.
Looking at veteran road acts in general, the majority of major bands seem to replace former members with sons, daughters or members of established tribute acts.

Annoying Twit
07-27-2017, 07:05 AM
Initially I thought Deacon's inclusion was a, the heart ruling the head, decision but I can't think of anybody who definitely would have done a better job than him.
Looking at veteran road acts in general, the majority of major bands seem to replace former members with sons, daughters or members of established tribute acts.

I'm really disappointed that I missed the youtube videos. The one I'd particularly like to see is Deacon doing the guitar solo for AG.

UndertheWire
07-27-2017, 01:20 PM
For me, his AG wasn't as good as his PEF or TIE but it that could change. Make sure to try YouTube early on Sunday. For the LA show the time difference worked for us - I posted links to a lot of good videos around noon BST but they were already being taken down and were gone by the time many in the US were out of bed.

shunlvswx
07-27-2017, 01:36 PM
They mostly gave us until Monday until they took the videos down. I got majority of the videos before they were taken down. The same thing happened with Don's concert this past weekend. It was almost until Tuesday when all of them were taken down.

I'll be up Saturday night looking on Twitter, Periscope and Instagram like I did two weeks ago, but this time. The festival won't be two hours behind like the Classic West. It was after 10(my time) when the show started. Luckily NYC is only an hour ahead of me. I stayed up until 3am after the show.

New Kid In Town
07-27-2017, 01:39 PM
UTW - True - they had your videos blocked by 8AM here in the NY/NJ area.
I agree, look at them as soon as they are posted because there is not a single one left on you tube. Video police at it again.:roll:

Shun - I salute you and thank you again.:bow:

Supposed to rain off and on here on Saturday.

VillageGirl
07-27-2017, 06:28 PM
I wish Deacon all the best and I think it's wonderful that Don, Joe, Tim, and probably Vince too are all so supportive. I think Glenn would be very pleased.

kittenz
07-27-2017, 10:06 PM
Feel free to move or merge if this isn't the right place for this but after seeing the vids of Deacon performing at Classic West and being amazed with how great he was (as was pretty much everyone) it got me wondering about his future music career. It all depends on what he and the band decide to do next but I do hope they're thinking about how this could be a stepping stone for Deacon as a solo artist or if he creates his own band. I think I remember Glenn mentioning in a interview before that Deacon wanted to pursue a music career so it's got me wondering if he does what genre he'll go into. We've seen and heard him do Eagles songs but rock like that and a lot like classic rock doesn't exist anymore. In my opinion his best bets are going into country or alternative rock, as both those genres have their own subgenres of country-rock. I'm hoping the best for him and he's got a bright future ahead and I'm excited for him.

"We've seen and heard him do Eagles songs but rock like that and a lot like classic rock doesn't exist anymore"

---That's exactly why I'd love to see a rejuvenation of the Eagles as a band, and I hope that they do continue with this lineup, maybe adding another rocker singer/songwriter around Vince's age (Personally I'd love to hear how Bryan Adams would sound in the band.)

That kind of music needs to continue to be made :) . The Eagles are their own genre.

Annoying Twit
07-28-2017, 03:36 AM
I personally think it would make no sense to call the new band anything other than 'Eagles'. It wouldn't benefit anybody to do so, not the members, and not Glenn's memory. The way they are doing things is a nice tribute to Glenn, in my opinion, including the presence of Deacon and the way he dresses etc.

sodascouts
08-03-2017, 09:43 PM
I moved a few posts to the Vince thread, if anybody's wondering where they went.

So, it seems from what Joe says that the tentative plan is that they are going to do a few of these "classic" shows per year, for as many years as they feel like doing them. 2 years, 3, 5, 10... what have you.

I wonder what that means for Deacon?

BlanketMan
08-04-2017, 05:52 AM
I've been saying for years (as have a lot of other fans, no doubt) that Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr should formulate a tour with Dhani Harrison and Julian Lennon. I think it could literally be the biggest tour ever.

What the Eagles have done with the Classic shows proves that an amalgam of original members + their progeny can work (Van Halen is another band with a member's son filling in). I'm eager to see what happens with Deacon and the Eagles after the Seattle show next month. Would love to see a full tour with the Henley/Walsh/Schmit/Gill/Li'l Frey lineup - I assume a new original album is too much to ask for!

Annoying Twit
08-04-2017, 07:16 AM
I've been saying for years (as have a lot of other fans, no doubt) that Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr should formulate a tour with Dhani Harrison and Julian Lennon. I think it could literally be the biggest tour ever.

What the Eagles have done with the Classic shows proves that an amalgam of original members + their progeny can work (Van Halen is another band with a member's son filling in). I'm eager to see what happens with Deacon and the Eagles after the Seattle show next month. Would love to see a full tour with the Henley/Walsh/Schmit/Gill/Li'l Frey lineup - I assume a new original album is too much to ask for!

van Halen is slightly different as Wolfgang van Halen is not the son of the member he is replacing.

I believe that Jason Bonham has played drums with Led Zeppelin on some occasions, replacing his late father on the instrument.

groupie2686
08-04-2017, 02:18 PM
What I'd like to see for Deacon is for him to do whatever he planned to do before these Classic shows, whether it's in music or something else, and not try to live his father's life or be his father. I don't think I'd be going out on too much of a limb here to say that I think Glenn would have wanted that - what parent doesn't want their children to follow their dreams? If what's left of the eagles tours, and I'm sure they will, Deacon will be living his father's life (and a pale imitation of it), not pursuing his own path.

And let's say they continue for another 5-10 years, what happens when Henley, Joe, and Timothy really can't continue anymore? Deacon would have started out on top, without all the work that goes into getting there. Where would he go from that? There's nowhere to go from the top but down. But maybe he'll be content to live off the money he made from this and his inheritance. I'm sure even now he doesn't have to work a day in his life.

I can't imagine this would be very fun for Deacon, as they go on. A young guy in his 20s would want to party after the show, see whatever city he happens to be in, and Henley, Joe, and Timothy, all 70 or pushing 70, will be ready for bed. Vince Gill isn't exactly young either. Deacon will have the rock & roll without all the fun stuff that goes with it.

Brooke
08-04-2017, 02:25 PM
Couldn't agree with you more, groupie!

Delilah
08-04-2017, 03:32 PM
Deacon is 24 years old, a year older than Glenn was when the Eagles first started. He's not a child. He's old enough to decide what he wants to do with his own life, regardless if others approve or not.

groupie2686
08-04-2017, 03:39 PM
Brooke - thanks!

Delilah - of course, he can do whatever he wants. This is a thread to discuss Deacon's future and that's what I'm doing...of course nothing any of us think matters to him in any way, nor should it.

buffyfan145
08-04-2017, 05:19 PM
I agree too and hope he does get to do whatever he was planning to do originally. But if he does want to continue in music on his own he totally should.

UndertheWire
08-04-2017, 05:33 PM
I think of it as more like putting in a few hours with the family business but being free to explore his own interests for the rest of the time. It sounds like Henley has lots of other things he wants to be doing, so the Eagles duties will be far from full-time.

Deacon may not be starting at the bottom, but think of it as an accelerated learning program. He's gaining exeprience of a large organisation with mentoring from the people at the top.

Still, I have been thinking of how different his experience must be from his father's at that age but if it's only for a few weeks at a time, I expect he'll cope with mixing with the old fogeys.

WalshFan88
08-04-2017, 07:31 PM
What I'd like to see for Deacon is for him to do whatever he planned to do before these Classic shows, whether it's in music or something else, and not try to live his father's life or be his father. I don't think I'd be going out on too much of a limb here to say that I think Glenn would have wanted that - what parent doesn't want their children to follow their dreams? If what's left of the eagles tours, and I'm sure they will, Deacon will be living his father's life (and a pale imitation of it), not pursuing his own path.

And let's say they continue for another 5-10 years, what happens when Henley, Joe, and Timothy really can't continue anymore? Deacon would have started out on top, without all the work that goes into getting there. Where would he go from that? There's nowhere to go from the top but down. But maybe he'll be content to live off the money he made from this and his inheritance. I'm sure even now he doesn't have to work a day in his life.

I can't imagine this would be very fun for Deacon, as they go on. A young guy in his 20s would want to party after the show, see whatever city he happens to be in, and Henley, Joe, and Timothy, all 70 or pushing 70, will be ready for bed. Vince Gill isn't exactly young either. Deacon will have the rock & roll without all the fun stuff that goes with it.

Bingo!

I hope with the time he has not doing Eagles that he does his own thing. I really hope he can stand up to Irving and Don and say enough's enough when he's bored or not feeling it. Glenn would want him to follow his dreams, 100 percent.

I hope if music is his thing that he does his own thing and creates music he likes and plays music with age appropriate people and he has success with it.

maryc2130
08-04-2017, 09:14 PM
Well, Don had made a statement to the effect that when Deacon's ready to go out on his own or do his own thing, they'll support him 100%, so I think he wants to Deacon to do what makes him happy, as well.

RudieCantFail
08-05-2017, 03:47 AM
I just skimmed through this thread now. I think Deacon could do the Jakob Dylan route of having a band as the main name, instead of his own. However, like some of you have pointed out, this situation is unique. He's being thrust into the limelight at baseball stadiums getting his name out there to at least 30k people every time they play. So having a Wallflowers sort of thing may backfire in terms of being commercially successful.

I thought he did pretty good at the Classic shows, considering that this was the first time he had to perform in front of a ton of people. But there are always skeptics when it comes to children of successful musicians, so this is where having a Wallflowers sort of thing works.

Does he go solo with his name or does he form a band, like Jakob Dylan? Ultimately, it is up to Deacon, if he wants to continue to perform and eventually write songs. Or if he wants to continue doing production work, and based on his SoundCloud, it's mainly hip-hop instrumentals. Whatever he does, I hope he has a lot of fun.

This is all just fun speculation, so only time will tell.

New Kid In Town
08-05-2017, 09:00 AM
I agree with everyone who hope Deacon will do whatever makes him happy and pursue his dreams. If what he is doing now makes him happy then fine. I would guess Deacon finds it healing and a wonderful way to honor his father doing these shows. I'm sure Glenn and Cindy, like all parents would want him to do what makes him happy.

Delilah
08-05-2017, 10:02 AM
I think of it as more like putting in a few hours with the family business but being free to explore his own interests for the rest of the time. It sounds like Henley has lots of other things he wants to be doing, so the Eagles duties will be far from full-time.

Deacon may not be starting at the bottom, but think of it as an accelerated learning program. He's gaining exeprience of a large organisation with mentoring from the people at the top.

Still, I have been thinking of how different his experience must be from his father's at that age but if it's only for a few weeks at a time, I expect he'll cope with mixing with the old fogeys.

I was also thinking in terms of a family business, esp. after the Don H comments about apprenticeships. And there's nothing inherently wrong with a young man stepping into his late father's role in the family business. It happens all the time and doesn't mean he can't forge his path while doing so.

Deacon is in a special position in that he doesn't have to sing for his supper. I am confident he'll manage to still have fun while performing with, as you say, the old fogeys.

I just skimmed through this thread now. I think Deacon could do the Jakob Dylan route of having a band as the main name, instead of his own. However, like some of you have pointed out, this situation is unique. He's being thrust into the limelight at baseball stadiums getting his name out there to at least 30k people every time they play. So having a Wallflowers sort of thing may backfire in terms of being commercially successful.

I thought he did pretty good at the Classic shows, considering that this was the first time he had to perform in front of a ton of people. But there are always skeptics when it comes to children of successful musicians, so this is where having a Wallflowers sort of thing works.

Does he go solo with his name or does he form a band, like Jakob Dylan? Ultimately, it is up to Deacon, if he wants to continue to perform and eventually write songs. Or if he wants to continue doing production work, and based on his SoundCloud, it's mainly hip-hop instrumentals. Whatever he does, I hope he has a lot of fun.

This is all just fun speculation, so only time will tell.

Great post, RudieCantFail! I didn't know Deacon had a SoundCloud account. ITA with the spirit of your last statement.