PDA

View Full Version : Vince Gill

sodascouts
07-26-2017, 10:48 AM
A thread to discuss Vince Gill.

Annoying Twit
07-26-2017, 01:41 PM
i think it was an interesting strategy to have both Vince and Deacon in the band.

One thing I thought of: If Deacon found that it was too much to perform in front of such a massive crowd, then would Vince have taken over on some of the songs that Deacon was scheduled to sing. It would have created an interesting safety net if Vince was prepped.

I wasn't very familiar with his music before this, but have been sampling some of it. He's more country than average Eagles music, but he has the vocal chops and guitar ability to play a role in post-Glenn Eagles.

Personally I think it's good that they've added someone with real talent and a profile to Eagles. Which is what they did with Joe, of course. I'm not saying there is a real chance that his songwriting skills are part of what they were looking for. But, I think it's interesting to note that such skills exist.

I presume that Vince will be at the forthcoming show. I guess that no-one knows what lies in the future beyond that.

It would be interesting to hear a song like "Don't Let Our Love Start Slipping Away" at a future show. Though, again, while that's an interesting idea, I don't think it will happen.

EDIT: Having heard a few more songs, I think that 'Never Alone' would work well at an Eagles concert.

Pippinwhite
07-26-2017, 01:53 PM
Vince acquitted himself beautifully on "I Can't Tell You Why" for the "Common Threads" album. So I never was worried.

The great thing about Vince is he's willing to do whatever he's asked to do. Sing? Sure. Play Felder's guitar licks? No problem. Backing vocals? Easy-peasy. Talk to the press? Charm the pants off them.

As I've said, he and Glenn were friends and Glenn may have even played in Vince's charity golf tourney he has in Nashville every year. It wouldn't surprise me. So, if they were going to continue and find someone to add to the lineup, to me, Vince was a natural choice. I know I'm repeating myself, but he really is a fantastic singer and songwriter, and his musicianship is peerless. One of the best pickers in popular music, and that's the opinion of his peers, including guys like Keith Richards. Plus, he loves and respects the Eagles' music.

It takes a lot of pressure off Deacon's shoulders and adds a good spirit, too. So I see it as a win-win, since this is the route they decided to take.

shunlvswx
07-26-2017, 01:54 PM
I've been a fan of Vince's music since 1994 when I was 14. I only seen him in concert once. So when I heard Vince was joining the Eagles, I was soo happy. Vince in my favorite band.

Vince will be at the show this Saturday and probably will be at Seattle and any other shows that will be announced.

In an interview he did with Billboard, here's what Vince said.

Right now these are just one-off shows, but if they decided to tour, would you be willing?
Are you kidding me? I'd be the first one on the bus. They probably don't take a bus, but I'll drive myself. I'll take my own car. You couldn't dream this up to get to go play in your favorite band – the most important American band in history.

So unless Vince leaves(which I doubt) or they don't need him anymore, Vince will be with them for a while. I don't know what his status is, but I'm think he's with them for a while.

He's probably going to split his time with his solo career and the Eagles like Don and Joe does.

Annoying Twit
07-26-2017, 01:57 PM
I must become more familiar with 'Common Threads'.

shunlvswx
07-26-2017, 02:14 PM
I was shocked that Vince played a guitar solo on The Last Resort because I didn't think they gave him any solo since they had Steuart. They might give him more because Vince really shines when he does his guitar solo.

I also thought Vince sounded very good when he was harmonizing with Timothy and Don either when he's singing lead or harmonizing with them.

I loved that Don said Vince was one of the best singers and guitarist on the planet. I love hearing that from Don. For years, I always wanted Don and Vince sing with each other or be on the same stage. I got my wish when Vince was part of Don's album.

I doubt they will put any of Vince's songs in the show. They probably going to stay strictly Eagles song with the exception of Joe since he's been playing his solo songs in concert since he joined the Eagles.

Dawn
07-26-2017, 02:43 PM
I like Vince Gill and if he wants to sing and play Eagles songs with Deacon Frey, DH, TBS and JW that's great! I just wish they'd perform under their own names or create a new name.

LuvTim
07-26-2017, 03:24 PM
I must become more familiar with 'Common Threads'.

^I really think you'll like it. :-)

I love and respect Vince Gill, I always have, so I, too, am very happy to have him playing these awesome songs wiith these other guys whom I love.

:cheers: Here's to you, Vince.

NightMistBlue
07-26-2017, 04:18 PM
I like Vince Gill and if he wants to sing and play Eagles songs with Deacon Frey, DH, TBS and JW that's great! I just wish they'd perform under their own names or create a new name.

They could do like Yes factions do and go by their last names: Henley, Walsh, Schmit, Gill & Frey. Maybe it's too like a law firm though.

buffyfan145
07-26-2017, 04:57 PM
I love Vince and he's another I grew up with. I've seen him twice in concert, once on my 12th birthday and the other was with his wife Amy Grant. Also, his dad actually used to live here in Columbus in my maternal grandparents old neighborhood. My grandparents moved out when I was about like 6 or 7, but I do remember my uncle taking me by Vince's dad's house while we were walking down the street and him waving at us, but I never met him personally at least that I remember. Some of my family did know him and even went to the funeral and met Vince. And of course my Grandpa requested we play Vince's "Go Rest High on the Mountain" at his own funeral, which we did. I cried so much during that song. Just love Vince's voice, his version of ICTYW, and always loved when he used to host the CMAs in the 90s. LOL :D

I also wondered too if maybe Timothy can't hit some of the high notes as much since it seemed like Vince did do some of the higher harmonies on the songs, including Randy's part in "Take it Easy". He did a great job blending with the guys and filling in.

shunlvswx
07-27-2017, 10:44 AM
Here's Vince with the guys over the years. Other than the picture from Classic West, their are no old pictures of Vince and Don together.

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/photo-of-timothy-b-schmit-and-vince-gill-wtimothy-b-schmit-picture-id91148485?s=594x594

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/joe-walsh-of-the-eagles-and-singersongwriter-vince-gill-backstage-picture-id185140239?s=594x594

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/singersongwriter-vince-gill-joins-singersongwriter-joe-walsh-on-stage-picture-id545598932?s=594x594

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/vince-gil-and-don-henley-perform-onstage-with-the-eagles-during-the-picture-id815205060?s=594x594

New Kid In Town
07-27-2017, 10:49 AM
Thanks Shun - look how young Vince is is that first picture. It looks like HFO period.

shunlvswx
07-27-2017, 10:55 AM
I think that was 1993 when Vince was doing the Common Thread album.

buffyfan145
07-27-2017, 04:56 PM
Thanks for the pics Shun!!! :D I don't think I've ever seen them till now (besides the Don one).

shunlvswx
07-27-2017, 05:11 PM
Also the still picture of Timothy in the studio in the HOTE documentary comes from that picture of him and Vince. They had just cropped Vince out.

Glennsallnighter
07-27-2017, 05:46 PM
As many of you know I am not a fan of this reunion but it was nice to see that Vince's t-shirt paid tribute to Glenn :heart: in stating 'In Memory of the Lone Arranger'

New Kid In Town
07-27-2017, 05:51 PM
GAN - He wore the t-shirt saying that at the classic west? Gosh I missed that. I saw when he wore it to sing PEF after Glenn passed. Vince sure seems to be a very nice classy guy from everything I have read.

shunlvswx
07-27-2017, 07:27 PM
GAN - He wore the t-shirt saying that at the classic west? Gosh I missed that. I saw when he wore it to sing PEF after Glenn passed. Vince sure seems to be a very nice classy guy from everything I have read.

No, NKIT. Joe played Nashville last year and Vince came on stage and sang Take It To The Limit.

New Kid In Town
07-27-2017, 07:39 PM
Shun - TY - saw that video.

kittenz
07-27-2017, 09:31 PM
I knew Vince Gill would be a great fit for the band. He's a true fan as well as a world-class musician, singer & songwriter. I'm not a huge fan of a lot of what passes for modern "country" music, but I do like to listen to great artists like Vince. Loved hearing him sing Take it to the Limit and I'm glad he didn't go for Randy's signature high flourish at the end of the song; I felt that he was doing honor and paying tribute to Randy. My heart wish is that Randy's health may improve enough that he can sit in, maybe play and who knows? Even sing a little, in a grand reunion show someday.

I do hope that this band stays together, does a limited tour to start with; cuts a new album. I was a little disappointed that Bernie was not with them, but then, even though he was great on the HOTE tour, and the guys seemed really pleased to have him with them, he seemed a little tense, as though he felt a little out of place. Maybe he'll join them from time to time, at least as an honored guest in a few shows.

I thought Deacon put on a fantastic performance too! Sure, he seemed a little nervous at first. Hell, it's his first big gig & it's only with the biggest American band ever! Not to mention, he had to know that literally millions of people will be watching those shows and comparing him to Glenn. His voice is deeper than Glenn's; he looks so much like Glenn but a lot like his mama too; he didn't come blazing out with Glenn's over-the-top joie de vivre, but he nailed his dad's songs, with his own voice, and I think that if the band stays together for awhile, the harmonies will settle in naturally to the new voice, and he'll honor his dad by making those songs his own. I'm glad he was out there with them; I literally cried as I watched the clips; wish I could have been there in that crowd. I'm glad they're making it clear that they're not "replacing" Glenn. They're going to do just fine if they move forward with Vince and Deacon. Remembering Glenn; honoring him; recognizing that he gave it his all, all the time, but... acknowledging that Glenn's gone. His beautiful smooth tenor is irreplaceable, and I'm relieved that they didn't try to find a "replacement".

It was great to see Bob Seger too, out there rockin it like a 30 year old. And yeah, Vince Gill is a good fit. Now that the guys are all 70-ish, they still sound great, but some of their contemporaries who would have been great additions to the Eagles (like Dan Fogelberg, John Denver, & Rick Nelson :( ) are gone, and Jackson Browne & J.D. are 70-ish, too. I'm sure that touring doesn't get any easier as you near your eighth decade, especially after having been out there recording and touring pretty steadily for 50 years or more.

I wouldn't mind seeing them bring in another big name, talented musician/singer/songwriter or two about Vince's age, a decade or so younger than Don, Joe, & Timothy, maybe from among some of the singers who came of age in the late 70s/early 80s. I hope nobody flames me for saying this; there's NOBODY who sounds like Don Henley, except Don Henley. But I could get behind Bryan Adams coming in on some of Don's parts. I've heard Don's voice described as "honey over sandpaper", and that's a great description. Bryan Adams isn't that, but he does have a great, sort of raspy rock n roll voice. Maybe take some of the strain off Don and Joe. Timothy sounds as ethereal as ever. I'd love to hear an Everly Brothers-type duet sung by Tim and Vince.

And there are some terrific female singers who could hold their own with the Eagles in a show, too. Martina McBride, Sheryl Crow, Amy Grant, Trisha Yearwood... just throwing that idea out there.

Anyway. Whatever Don and the guys decide to do, I'm with them. And if these shows are their "last dance", as Don hinted the other night, I believe that Deacon could successfully front a band in his own right. He did his dad proud, and more than that: he respected the fans, and he showed that he can put his own stamp on a song & come off great.

LuvTim
07-27-2017, 09:37 PM
^ Great post, K! Enjoyed reading your thoughts on this- interesting. Thanks for sharing.

kittenz
07-27-2017, 09:58 PM

I respectfully disagree. When Glenn died, with the awful shock of his loss, I too thought "This is it for the Eagles. Don & Glenn were so intertwined musically within the band; they just can't go on. Because they can't replace the irreplaceable."

But I thought of Deacon stepping in to sing some of his dad's songs, even then, and thought that would be about the only way that the band could carry on, at least carry on as the Eagles. I'd heard a lot of old YouTube clips of Glenn and Deacon, playing benefits for Deacon's school, etc., and Deacon was really singing and playing great even at age 14. So I thought, just maybe ... but it would depend on whether Don could go on with a new, younger, deeper voice alternating those haunting leads.

I believe this is the only way they could have moved forward as the Eagles, and I don't think it would have worked if they DIDN'T keep the Eagles name. It's a healing thing. Glenn's gone, but his band can live on. Maybe some of the other guys' kids will even come in to the band eventually; I haven't heard anything specific; I'm just speculating :) . (But Don said his teenage son is a good drummer.)

As long as they adhere to the high standards set by the Eagles for quality, I think keeping the name is doing Glenn homage and honor.

shunlvswx
07-27-2017, 11:52 PM
For some reason Glenn's picture didn't show up when I post the other pictures.

Here's Vince with Glenn and the late Eddie Rabbitt.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/cd/06/49/cd06495e3cc92a64486eeafab003dfed.jpg

kittenz
07-28-2017, 12:31 AM
Love the bowling photo!

Dawn
07-28-2017, 01:53 AM
Clearly, substituting Deacon Frey and Vince Gill for Glenn Frey has bought the band more time and enabled them to capitalize on Irving's expanding Classic tour.

buffyfan145
07-28-2017, 09:51 AM
Bringing up about using Vince because of him being younger and his higher vocal range, I actually wondered if this was also the reason they got him in the band as I noticed he did some of what used to be Randy's and Timothy's highest harmonies. Just made me wonder if maybe Timothy isn't able to hit some of the high notes as much but Vince can.

And love the pic of Vince, Glenn, and Eddie too!!! :D

Delilah
07-28-2017, 10:51 AM
I think that was 1993 when Vince was doing the Common Thread album.

Nice picture! I think you are right--Timothy sang backing vocals on ICTYW for that album so that makes sense.

For some reason Glenn's picture didn't show up when I post the other pictures.

Here's Vince with Glenn and the late Eddie Rabbitt.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/cd/06/49/cd06495e3cc92a64486eeafab003dfed.jpg

I didn't know Glenn ever hung out with Eddie Rabbitt. I love Eddie's music, he was gone way too soon. Thanks for posting these cool pics, Shun.

shunlvswx
07-28-2017, 11:04 AM
There's another picture of Vince, Glenn and I think Huey Lewis at a golf tournament, but I can't find that picture. I think it was in an article that Vince did after Glenn's death.

BillBailey1976
07-28-2017, 03:08 PM
Nice picture! I think you are right--Timothy sang backing vocals on ICTYW for that album so that makes sense.

I didn't know Glenn ever hung out with Eddie Rabbitt. I love Eddie's music, he was gone way too soon. Thanks for posting these cool pics, Shun.

I would guess it's during Common Thread as well. If you remember, Tim had that van dyke, or goatee, (whatever you want to call it) during the video for Take It Easy, but not when they got back together less than a year later.

Pippinwhite
07-28-2017, 04:10 PM
Eddie Rabbitt! :inlove:
Loved his music, always. This is a great shot. Everybody looks happy. Glenn wore those bright colors so well -- most guys do, they just won't.

Thanks for posting this!

Pippinwhite
07-28-2017, 04:12 PM
@kittenz. Yes. What you said. Excellent post. Thank you for sharing your thoughts so eloquently.

WalshFan88
07-31-2017, 11:03 PM
Vince sang "I Can't Tell You Why" on the Common Threads album, which went triple platinum, spun off a video and re-ignited the Eagles into reforming in 1994. So he did contribute something, it may not be much in the grand scheme of things but that album is part of Eagles history. Whether or not he is "equal" to the remaining Eagles (whatever that means) is a matter of personal preference and opinion.

There have been disagreements for sure, but I haven't seen anyone trying to "silence" anyone else; however there was a comment on Eagles 3.0 to the effect of "if you don't like what you read here, don't come here" which comes close.

Obviously we aren't going to see eye to eye and that's fine.

But it was mostly Travis Tritt who made the Eagles get back together after making that video of TIE.

By equality I mean in terms of importance and contribution to the band as the other guys, the actual band members. Not as human beings.

Yes, he may have contributed something indirectly, but that's not the same as contributions by Frey, Henley, Walsh, Schmit, Felder, Meisner, and Leadon.

As far as the silencing thing in the 3.0 thread, when I posted something negative in the anticipation thread, I was NOT welcome. I feel it's only fair for those of us to speak freely in the 3.0 thread without worrying about people getting upset.

That's all I'll say. I'll post more in the Vince thread.

WalshFan88
07-31-2017, 11:13 PM
After seeing some clips from both West and East, I have no idea why he's there.

I mean Deacon is singing PEF, which is about as smooth soft country as it gets, and he's even better at the rocking songs IMO and then you got Vince singing Heartache Tonight, and IMO can't deliver like Glenn or Bob. I think Deacon can.

Either give Vince all of the soft songs, and Deacon all of the rockers, or just let Deacon sing everything, which even though I'm against it, I'd rather see happen.

I think Vince is good, but I really don't understand why they feel they need him.

Sure, he could play Felder's parts but they have Steuart. And Deacon is doing Glenn's rhythm and solos. And Joe is going to play, well Joe's parts. And I think with 3 guitars, do they really need another guitar in the mix just strumming along? I think not. And if Deacon can sing PEF, he can sing Lyin' Eyes. NKIT too. And if he can sing Already Gone, he can sing Heartache Tonight.

I just don't see him as a necessary component of Eagles 3.0. I think Deacon is more than enough capable to sing the entire set. If he doesn't want to, fine. But Vince is just not actively contributing anything that the other guys can't do.

It's like they are using him for his name and lets have "Vince Gill" sing, and maybe people will forget about Glenn not being there. Vince Gill, is a bigger name than Deacon Frey (sadly), and maybe Irving and Don thought they needed that.

maryc2130
07-31-2017, 11:27 PM
Even if Deacon coukd or shoukd sing all of Glenn's songs -- which is certainly debatable -- they absolutely need Vince for his spot on backup vocals.

WalshFan88
07-31-2017, 11:34 PM
Even if Deacon coukd or shoukd sing all of Glenn's songs -- which is certainly debatable -- they absolutely need Vince for his spot on backup vocals.

True, but there wasn't an extra member just for BGV's before. I mean I definitely feel like his best area in the band right now is BGV's, but I guess I didn't realize Deacon couldn't sing backup. I guess then keep him for background vocals but certainly leave the rockers to Deacon. Vince on HT was awful, IMO. Eeek.

Annoying Twit
08-01-2017, 03:32 AM
It would have been very high risk to have just Deacon, and a lot of pressure on his shoulders. It could have backfired if Deacon found the pressure too much and was unable to perform. Having Vince Gill there creates a safety net.

WalshFan88
08-01-2017, 03:37 AM
It would have been very high risk to have just Deacon, and a lot of pressure on his shoulders. It could have backfired if Deacon found the pressure too much and was unable to perform. Having Vince Gill there creates a safety net.

I can understand that...

If it made Deacon more comfortable, I can understand it. Less work to do.

I just don't think he brings anything to the band that couldn't be found elsewhere or within the members they already have. I think he's just not a good fit, I guess.

UndertheWire
08-01-2017, 07:05 AM
I think Deacon is still work-in-progress and that would have been even more true when they recruited Vince. It's better to have more talent than you need than to fall short.

I'll admit that I haven't been listening to the Vince Gill vocals so I'm not a good judge. My impression is he's blending in rather than standing out and that's probably deliberate.

New Kid In Town
08-01-2017, 07:08 AM
WF - I agree, I think it was more Travis Tritt than anything Vince did to get the Eagles back together. If he had not asked/insisted they be in his video who know what would have happened. However, that album sure woke the guys up as to their influence in county music.
I know this is off topic for this thread. Sorry, I was just responding to the two above posts. Back to the talented Deacon Frey.

buffyfan145
08-01-2017, 10:41 AM
I think Vince has been doing well too but I already was a fan of his. Besides his own songs and guitar playing he's well knowing for harmonizing on many other people's songs. I posted earlier that I think he was brought in too as I've been wondering if it's getting harder for Timothy on some songs because of his age as most people's vocal range changes as we age. And maybe Timothy harmonizing with Deacon on TIE didn't sound the same since Deacon sings a bit lower than Glenn.

Delilah
08-01-2017, 10:55 AM
After seeing some clips from both West and East, I have no idea why he's there.

I think Vince is good, but I really don't understand why they feel they need him.

Sure, he could play Felder's parts but they have Steuart. And Deacon is doing Glenn's rhythm and solos. And Joe is going to play, well Joe's parts. And I think with 3 guitars, do they really need another guitar in the mix just strumming along? I think not. And if Deacon can sing PEF, he can sing Lyin' Eyes. NKIT too. And if he can sing Already Gone, he can sing Heartache Tonight.

It's like they are using him for his name and lets have "Vince Gill" sing, and maybe people will forget about Glenn not being there. Vince Gill, is a bigger name than Deacon Frey (sadly), and maybe Irving and Don thought they needed that.

I agree they don't need another guitar player; so why is Steuart there? Vince can play those parts; he's an excellent guitarist. Vince may need some time to catch up to speed but he's better known and a bigger draw than Steuart.

shunlvswx
08-01-2017, 11:07 AM
I remembered Timothy saying he can't sing the high notes anymore because he could had fool me because he still sounded good when he's harmonizing. With two high voices in the group now, its might take a little load off Timothy. Vince is 10 years younger than Don, Joe, and Timothy and he can still hit the high notes. To tell the truth, they kinda holding him back because he is blending in where as Timothy you can hear him and point him out of all the guys.

As for TIE. Maybe Vince sounded better with Deacon because of Deacon lower range. They might had tried to see how Deacon would sound with Timothy and Vince harmonizing on that second verse. Deacon probably blended well with Vince's voice, but than again. They probably wanted the new guys to do that part. I guess we will never know.

I really hope they give Vince another guitar solo song. I was shocked it was him doing the guitar solo in The Last Resort since I thought he didn't have any. Vince shines on his guitar solos.

Its a work in progress. So they probably will change a few things over time. I don't think Vince is going anywhere anytime soon. I only see Vince gone if he leaves (which I doubt it) or they don't need him anymore(which they probably need him right now to not have so much pressure on Deacon).

Since Vince is probably going to be with the Eagles for a while, he's gonna have to know what they going to do in advantage so he can plan his solo career around the Eagles like Don and Joe did. Vince usually have dates every month. So that might change or it might not.

sodascouts
08-01-2017, 11:39 AM
After seeing some clips from both West and East, I have no idea why [Vince Gill is] there.

I mean Deacon is singing PEF, which is about as smooth soft country as it gets, and he's even better at the rocking songs IMO and then you got Vince singing Heartache Tonight, and IMO can't deliver like Glenn or Bob. I think Deacon can.

Either give Vince all of the soft songs, and Deacon all of the rockers, or just let Deacon sing everything, which even though I'm against it, I'd rather see happen.

Asking Deacon to do everything that Glenn did - or even most of what he did - is unrealistic. Expecting him to be up to the same level as a man who has performed for 40 years is expecting too much. He is not "little Glenn." He is Deacon Frey and he is learning.

Vince Gill is not Glenn Frey either, but Vince Gill has been in the business for decades, honing his craft, playing for large crowds.

shunlvswx
08-01-2017, 11:45 AM
For a long time. I actually agree with you, Soda. That's so much pressure put on Deacon. To sing all his father's songs. He may be up to playing with his uncles, but to sing all his father's song. Nope. He needs to learn and get better. He's already being judged about how looks like his father or doesn't sound like his father.

Vince is there to not have so much pressure on Deacon. Deacon will get better and I think he did this past weekend even though I couldn't tell he was nervous at the Classic West show. And I actually applaud him to even play in front of 50,000 people for the first time.

shunlvswx
08-01-2017, 11:49 AM
I do have to admit at first, I didn't like Vince singing Lyin' Eyes. He was pausing too much as he was singing the song and it was a turn off. He's gotten better with Lyin' Eyes. Vince rarely pauses in his songs even live, but I don't know why he was doing that.

It was kinda weird hearing Vince singing Heartache Tonight, but to tell the truth. I really don't like this new version of Heartache Tonight. Not because Vince was singing it. I just don't like this new arrangement of the song. You can definitely tell the key was lowered big time. I rather hear Farewell 1 version where their was a little guitar solo at the beginning before they began the song with the horns or HOTE version where they sang it acapella before the whole band kicks in on the chorus. I wish they kept that.

I thought he did a good job on the song.

Delilah
08-01-2017, 11:54 AM
All I said was that Vince contributed to the album b/c the claim was made that he contributed nothing to Eagles history. Please point out where I said Vince had more to do with getting them back together than Travis. I don't want to go OT either but I'm getting tired of my words getting twisted.

BTW, no Common Thread album=no Travis Tritt video.

sodascouts
08-01-2017, 11:58 AM
The only argument I can see about not needing Vince is if they drop all the songs Vince sings, which I would be down with. Better no one sing them. The whole "keep the songs alive" line - well, Vince can sing the songs at his own shows while piping in the the background vocals and it would sound the same. The instrumental parts can be duplicated.

When it comes to BGV, they have half a dozen guys backing them, a veritable choir, in all those musicians onstage. I think all of them except the drummer sing.

However, as long as they keep these songs and continue to do shows as the "Eagles", they need to keep a guy like Vince to replace Glenn on lead vocals.

Pippinwhite
08-01-2017, 12:20 PM
I have a theory about Vince and the way he was singing "Lyin' Eyes." Having been a fan for years, I've seen him on several awards shows and other special events, and he's apt to get a little emotional when he sings certain songs. If I'd seen it live, I could probably tell you for sure. My bet is, he started singing, and just got to thinking about Glenn and the moment, and all, and he got a little choked up. The pauses were where he was getting his voice back under control. Now, that's just my theory, but it fits with some other things I've seen Vince do that really meant a lot to him.

shunlvswx
08-01-2017, 12:31 PM
Maybe I'm saying it wrong. I can't describe it. I think I remembered somebody bringing up is Vince was doing diction as he sings. Maybe that's the word I meant. I think Glenn did it in some of his songs. Hold certain phrases or words in a line. Like a little small delay going to the next word. It was weird hearing Vince doing it because I'm use to him doing it other than with his songs.

WalshFan88
08-01-2017, 11:16 PM
Asking Deacon to do everything that Glenn did - or even most of what he did - is unrealistic. Expecting him to be up to the same level as a man who has performed for 40 years is expecting too much. He is not "little Glenn." He is Deacon Frey and he is learning.

Vince Gill is not Glenn Frey either, but Vince Gill has been in the business for decades, honing his craft, playing for large crowds.

Oh absolutely, and I didn't say I think he was little Glenn. As you know, I'm against the whole thing so at the end of the day, I have no dog in this fight.

But I'm no fan of Vince Gill in this band. To me he brings nothing of value and as you said yourself, there are plenty of BGV's going on in the band already.

They either should reallocate the rocking' songs to Deacon and soft country stuff to Vince, or drop some as you suggested, whatever. But Vince Gill singing Heartache Tonight was downright painful to listen to. The man is not a rocker.

Delilah
08-02-2017, 10:27 AM
If this article has been posted already, I apologize. Vince talks about change and his own musical skills. Hopefully the Eagles will take more advantage of those skills at future concerts.

Gill expresses only one frustration: He wishes more people were hearing the music he’s making now, because he thinks he’s gotten better. “I feel like I’m kind of starting to figure it out. In all honesty, I feel I play the best I’ve ever played, I feel I sing the best I’ve ever sung, and write the best songs I’ve ever written. And they’re going to go quite a bit more unnoticed than a whole lot of my successful years when I was really red-hot. But it’s still encouraging to be creative, because I see progress. Because all I ever wanted to do was get better.”

"At 60, Vince Gill rolls with the changes" Boston Globe, May 12, 2017 (https://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/music/2017/05/11/vince-gill-rolls-with-changes/uWqntaKY3NDIleh5zVfxEI/story.html)

Annoying Twit
08-02-2017, 11:48 AM
If this article has been posted already, I apologize. Vince talks about change and his own musical skills. Hopefully the Eagles will take more advantage of those skills at future concerts.

"At 60, Vince Gill rolls with the changes" Boston Globe, May 12, 2017 (https://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/music/2017/05/11/vince-gill-rolls-with-changes/uWqntaKY3NDIleh5zVfxEI/story.html)

I think there are a number of artists who have created very good music in their older years, but sometimes it (near criminally in some cases) is heard by few people. It's not so overlooked, but Tim's 'Leap of Faith' is IMHO among the best work he's ever done, but the general public probably isn't so aware of it.

I'm listening to Vince's 'Reasons for the Tears I Cry' right now, and it would fit right on LRooE, IMHO.

BlanketMan
08-03-2017, 09:07 AM
I really enjoyed Gill's contributions at the Classic East show. I get some fans questioning why they needed him, with Deacon there, but I think others have addressed that pretty well (safety net in case Deacon just couldn't do it in front of 50,000-plus is probably the best reason I've read). I also think it didn't hurt to have a Big Name added to the roster. Gill may not be Garth Brooks big, but he's up there among that era's country stars and highly respected as a player/singer. I think it helped add some legitimacy to the Classic shows, for casual fans who knew Glenn was gone and wondered "who could replace Glenn Frey?!" Well, Vince Gill is a pretty strong answer.

Where does that leave Gill's status going forward? Who knows? He certainly sounds enthused about being an Eagle, and if I'm Don Henley, and Vince Gill is offering his services in perpetuity, I'd be a fool not to take him up on it.

Annoying Twit
08-03-2017, 09:37 AM
I think it's very interesting that Vince has talent, but appears to have very little ego. Or at least he has sublimated his ego in order to do the best for Eagles rather than himself. While he may not, vocally, be the best choice for every song, I think that he has the right attitude and personality to become a long term Eagles member. And certainly he seems motivated to do so.

I'm not saying what is planned long term and it may well be that no-one at all knows what will and will not happen. But, if they wanted to go forward with the current line-up, they've chosen well in my opinion.

maryc2130
08-03-2017, 11:21 AM
The only argument I can see about not needing Vince is if they drop all the songs Vince sings, which I would be down with. Better no one sing them. The whole "keep the songs alive" line - well, Vince can sing the songs at his own shows while piping in the the background vocals and it would sound the same. The instrumental parts can be duplicated.

When it comes to BGV, they have half a dozen guys backing them, a veritable choir, in all those musicians onstage. I think all of them except the drummer sing.

However, as long as they keep these songs and continue to do shows as the "Eagles", they need to keep a guy like Vince to replace Glenn on lead vocals.

I disagree about the backup vocals. There are two kinds of backups, one is when they sing the oohs and ahs and the "all in" chorus-type backups, and the other is the type where just a few voices are in, such as Don's backups in parts of NKIT and LE, and Timothy's in TIE. Those are the ones I'm talking about where Vince's voice makes a big difference. Part of what has always made the Eagles harmonies so fantastic, IMHO, is having three or four singers who could function as lead singers and make for really strong back-up vocals. Glenn, Don, Randy, and Timothy have provided those at different times, and Vince falls into that category, as well. Deacon may, too.

I do agree that all the pressure shouldn't be on Deacon. I love Vince Gill's voice but I agree with Walshfan that it doesn't work as well on the rockers. I think his slower renditions are lovely, as are his back-up vocals. I can't speak to his guitar-playing, but from what I've heard, those skills are excellent. And I agree with Annoying Twit above; it's so nice to see a superstar with very little ego. That alone makes Vince a great addition, considering all strife the band has had over the years!

shunlvswx
08-03-2017, 11:47 AM
For all the years I've followed Vince, I really haven't heard anything negative about him or him having a big ego. Everything I've heard has been nice. Vince is just that kind of guy that minds his own business and with this group. Sometimes its good to just keep your mouth shut and go with the flow. He's the new guy(like he said in one of his interviews) and he definitely doesn't want to piss Don or Irving off.

Annoying Twit
08-03-2017, 11:52 AM
For all the years I've followed Vince, I really haven't heard anything negative about him or him having a big ego. Everything I've heard has been nice. Vince is just that kind of guy that minds his own business and with this group. Sometimes its good to just keep your mouth shut and go with the flow. He's the new guy(like he said in one of his interviews) and he definitely doesn't want to piss Don or Irving off.

I did manage to find this Telecaster Guitar Form Thread "Vince Gill Is An Evil Person" :D

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/vince-gill-is-an-evil-person.280996/

I think they all sold their souls to the devil, at the crossroads, just like Robert Johnson.

sodascouts
08-03-2017, 01:22 PM
I've been a big Amy Grant fan ever since I was a little kid. She's my favorite Christian contemporary artist and I know many of her songs by heart. Some of them have moved me to tears and there's others that contain such great theological illustrations that I think of them when I read certain Bible passages. Some are just plain catchy. However, since she's a Christian contemporary singer, there was a bit of scandal when she and Vince divorced their spouses and married each other. Other than that, I've heard nothing negative. He seems like a really nice guy.

shunlvswx
08-03-2017, 02:05 PM
I was going to post the article about Westboro Baptist Church protesting at Vince's concert in Kansas City in 2013, but I just couldn't. I'm going to post it. He went outside to confront them to see and I quote, "I just wanted to see what hate looked like." Vince was soo calm when he talked to them. Not that many celebrities would be calm. They would be cussing and pushing them.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/vince-gill-confronts-anti-gay-625503

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCW3wWrDU44

I really wasn't surprised they got married. I think both of their marriages weren't going good. Vince had already been divorced for 2 years when he and Amy got married. Heck Garth and Trisha got some flake when they started to see each other and later married after Garth divorced his first wife.

sodascouts
08-03-2017, 02:42 PM
Oh my gosh, so awful. Westboro are not even truly Baptist, much less Christian. They are appalling.

buffyfan145
08-03-2017, 05:03 PM
I remember that too when Vince went out to talk to them. He always seems like such a nice guy even in those situations. I too remember when he and Amy got together, and loved Amy since I was little too. It was kind of a scandal, which is weird compared to now since it probably wouldn't be as big of a deal. Plus their first marriages were bad and they found happiness together. My Mom always wondered about them when he first started singing on her songs. LOL

My 2nd concert seeing Vince was also with Amy too and it was a Christmas one and they were so adorable together sharing stories and pictures. They both were on stage the entire time singing both Christmas songs and some of their hits. I loved that concert so much.

shunlvswx
08-03-2017, 05:20 PM
I think they thought something was going on back in 1993 when Vince sang on Amy's song House of Love which I love that song. I myself thought so too, but I brushed it away. It was a scandal when she married Vince a year after her divorce. Like I said with Garth and Trisha. The same thing happened with them, but they are happy today themselves.

I used to watch her ex-husband, Gary Chapman on a show called Prime Time Country on TNN back in the mid to late 90s not knowing what was going on behind the scenes with their marriage.

Vince and Amy looked so happy together and I'm happy for him and Amy.

WalshFan88
08-03-2017, 06:40 PM
I think Vince is a nice guy and he seems level headed. I just don't think he's a good fit for this band. I personally still think Deacon could do it all but if not, then if they want a singer to sing rock, they need either to replace Vince or get yet another member. If it were up to me, Deacon would sing Glenn's rockers and uptempo pieces and Vince would sing all of the soft country/country rock stuff.

His guitar playing is great, but he's better when he's slinging a Telecaster playing country licks than trying to play rock. I mean he's no Joe Walsh or Don Felder when it comes to that stuff. He can play rock, but to me it's obvious it's not his forte. However, I think in his wheelhouse, he can hold his own with Walsh, Felder, and Smith. Steuart is a country guy but I think he can play rock better than Vince can. To me it just looks so out of place for him to try and rock and roll. It'd be like trying to get George Strait to cover AC/DC. It just looks so dang out of place.

His voice is amazing at singing what the man was born to sing - soft, country music and gospel songs. But trying to make him sing rock n' roll would be like trying to get G'N'R to cover Conway Twitty. It just isn't a good fit nor idea.

Keeping in mind that I'm personally not ok with any lineup, it doesn't really matter but I'd probably be willing to suggest setlists for both Deacon and Vince and may do so in another thread at some point. If not for anything but trying to highlight their best areas and try to justify the reason to have both of them.

shunlvswx
08-08-2017, 09:53 PM
The news of Glen Campbell's death today, I went online to fine any pictures of Vince with Glen. I found a few over the years.

Here's Vince with Glen, Charlie Daniels, Steve Wariner, Eddie Rabbitt, Roy Clark, and Ricky Skaggs
http://www.washingtonpost.com/rf/image_606w/2010-2019/WashingtonPost/2013/11/12/Style/Images/AP9205071708_0.jpg

Vince with Brad Paisley, Jimmy Webb(who wrote a lot of Glen's hits) and Glen's wife Kim.
https://cdn2.newsok.biz/cache/r960-604baafc3e8cbb154803c61d7b58f8de.jpg

Pippinwhite
08-09-2017, 09:13 AM
Thanks for posting the pics! BTW: Jimmy Webb had an absolutely heart-rending tribute to Glen on his Facebook page. It was beautiful.

Delilah
08-09-2017, 10:07 AM
Nice pictures, Shun, thanks. Country music artists as a group have always struck me as being a close-knit, friendly community.

Pippinwhite
08-09-2017, 02:20 PM
@Delilah: They are. Or used to be. Some still are. Years ago, on the CMA shows (which are in Nashville), at the end of the show, a lot of the stars would get on stage and sing "I Saw the Light" or "Will the Circle Be Unbroken."

This is a very awesome video the CMA produced last year. Vince shows up here, too. But it's a great effort all-around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9gAXwYZtfk

Dawn
08-09-2017, 02:34 PM
Thanks for posting the pics! BTW: Jimmy Webb had an absolutely heart-rending tribute to Glen on his Facebook page. It was beautiful.

Jimmy Webb ... love that man! :bow:

Heading over to FB to check out his tribute, thanks for the heads up!

Edited to add:

What a tribute! 2.4k comments and still counting.

Delilah
08-09-2017, 04:43 PM
@Delilah: They are. Or used to be. Some still are. Years ago, on the CMA shows (which are in Nashville), at the end of the show, a lot of the stars would get on stage and sing "I Saw the Light" or "Will the Circle Be Unbroken."

This is a very awesome video the CMA produced last year. Vince shows up here, too. But it's a great effort all-around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9gAXwYZtfk

Thanks so much for posting that, Pippin! I love it! It was nice seeing the shot of Randy Travis even though, sadly, he can't sing anymore. And when George showed up it was just icing on the cake. :inlove:

Vince sounded lovely during his part.

Pippinwhite
08-09-2017, 04:57 PM
@Delilah: Glad you liked it! I just about cried when I saw it the first time. It just touched me so much. Such a beautiful effort.

Delilah
08-18-2017, 11:09 AM
Heads-up: Vince will be performing at next week's Academy of Country Music Honors Ceremony. It will be broadcast Aug. 23.

http://www.nashcountrydaily.com/2017/08/17/alan-jackson-and-chris-stapleton-added-as-performers-at-acm-honors-ceremony/

shunlvswx
09-14-2017, 01:48 PM
Vince sang at Troy Gentry's memorial service today. It was requested for Vince to sing his hit song, Whenever You Come Around at the memorial service. From what Vince said, Whenever You Come Around was the first sung Troy sang to his wife. Whenever You Come Around is a beautiful song. One of my favorite songs from his When Love Finds You album that came out in 1994. Vince joked that he didn't have to sing Go Rest High on Mountain. When Vince started to sing, I thought it was going to be some other song that wasn't his, but I was surprised it was Whenever You Come Around.

He also brought up and told Eddie to lean on the Opry family. Don't disappear. Come out here and let this family love on you. I encourage you to stay within this family. I was listening to the memorial service on WSM and live video stream of the memorial service on a Kentucky tv station. They panned to Eddie as Ricky Skaggs and two other people hugging Eddie.

Delilah
09-14-2017, 06:59 PM
It sounds like it was a really nice, touching memorial service. Apparently Vince's singing brought many to tears. I was surprised to read that he sang "Whenever You Come Around" but since that was the first song Troy ever sang to his wife, it makes perfect sense (Vince also sang it to Amy before they got together; he was testing it out to see what she thought of it). I love it; it's my favorite Vince song.

I didn't know it was going to be streamed live. That was a nice gesture to share with fans.

BTW: the 2017 ACM Honors will air Sept. 15 at 9 pm ET. I was mistaken in my earlier post when I said it would air last month.

shunlvswx
09-14-2017, 07:16 PM
I think it was open the public too. That was nice of his family. She could had easily let his memorial service be private and especially not be livestream online. Most of the time, the older country singers either have a public memorial service and/or televised it online or TV.

Vince was very choked up. Its like everybody in country music were friends with each other. They were that close with each other

Delilah
09-14-2017, 07:38 PM
I agree with you, Shun. It's probably not easy for a family to share their grief with the public so it was a nice thing for them to do. The country music community is great about coming together during times like this. Vince especially seems to always step up to the plate.

buffyfan145
09-14-2017, 09:22 PM
Like I posted in the thread about Troy I wish I would've known this was being live steamed as I would've watched/listened. That's my favorite Vince song too and so nice he sang that for Troy's wife. And that is very true of the country music community and they are one big family.

shunlvswx
09-14-2017, 09:36 PM
Here's Troy's Memorial Service I found on YouTube. Vince is on at the end at 1:23:04.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nrk_2ycV8h4&list=PLz5EQOpLZd5CN9QithebIpyKKHqkExzGp

ETA: The other video was taken down. So I found another one.

Dawn
09-14-2017, 11:53 PM
Thank you Shun!!

shunlvswx
09-29-2017, 09:49 PM
I saw this on Music City Texas Theater Facebook page. Vince will be playing Don's hometown sometime next year. Don and Jackson will also being play there sometime next year.

https://m.facebook.com/musiccitytexas/photos/a.369153956483594.80163.110757128989946/1480694301996215/?type=3&source=54

Delilah
10-07-2017, 07:38 PM
Vince comments about his contributions to Dan Fogelberg’s tribute album.

Gill added: “I always loved Dan’s music, and getting the opportunity to sing on the High Country Snows record, over 30 years ago, is still a great memory for me.”
Read More: Eagles Contribute New Cover Song to Dan Fogelberg Tribute Album | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/eagles-dan-fogelberg-tribute-album/?trackback=tsmclip

I’m not familiar with the High Country Snows album, but the track with Vince’s contribution is called “Wandering Shepherd”—and his backing vocals are just beautiful on it!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zyfZcj0Hgi8

My My
10-08-2017, 09:20 AM
Thanks for posting the link, Delilah. I hadn't heard that song in years. So beautiful! I'm kind of tech challenged or I'd post a link to "Sutter's Mill" from the same album. Kind of a Doolin Dalton sound. Really lovely. Give it a listen if you get the chance.

maryc2130
10-08-2017, 10:39 AM
I wasn't familiar with the song, but it sure has pretty harmonies. Thank you, Delilah!

Delilah
10-09-2017, 02:09 PM
You’re welcome, My My and Maryc. I will have to check out “Sutter’s Mill.” I know that New Raiders of the Purple Sage have a song by the same name. “Sutters Mill” is included in the tribute album as well (sung by Randy Owens of Alabama).

Delilah
10-13-2017, 10:14 AM
Dan Fogelberg’s tribute album is now available for pre-order on iTunes. There’s a snippet of “Longer” by Amy and Vince. They sound really good. The rest of the songs can’t be sampled though, except for “Hard to Say” by Boz Scaggs.

shunlvswx
01-15-2018, 04:18 PM
Congrats to Vince. He's a grandpa again. His oldest daughter, Jenny had a baby girl this past Friday. Her name is Everly June Van Valkenburg. This is his second grandchild. Jenny has a 3 year old son name Wyatt.

I saw pictures of Everly on Jenny's facebook page. She's a cute little thing.

Congrats to Jenny and her husband, Vince and Amy and her mother Janis.

Delilah
01-22-2018, 06:26 PM
Aw, that’s sweet! Congratulations to Vince and his family. It must be an exciting time for them.

(and thanks for the info, Shun)

New Kid In Town
01-22-2018, 07:01 PM
Aw, that’s sweet! Congratulations to Vince and his family. It must be an exciting time for them.

(and thanks for the info, Shun)

What a sweet time for Vice and his family. TY Shun for posting that.

buffyfan145
01-22-2018, 09:48 PM
Aww, that's great and so happy for them all!!! :D

shunlvswx
03-15-2018, 10:04 AM
Vince is nominated for Vocal Event of The Year for the ACMs, for his duet with newcomer Maren Morris for the song Dear Hate. I have no idea who Maren Morris is since I barely listen to country music these days, but I listen to this song and its beautiful.

buffyfan145
03-15-2018, 12:50 PM
That's awesome!!! :D Maren is great and I've seen her in concert too.

redstorm1968
03-15-2018, 04:00 PM
Not sure if anyone has seen this or not, but Vinnie is hilarious! He's just as funny IRL. Great guy, great guitarist, great vocalist.

https://youtu.be/g1TD_3FnSAk

tac0mao6
03-15-2018, 04:58 PM
Not sure if anyone has seen this or not, but Vinnie is hilarious! He's just as funny IRL. Great guy, great guitarist, great vocalist.

https://youtu.be/g1TD_3FnSAk

so funny ... thanks for sharing
:lol:

My My
03-15-2018, 05:52 PM
What a good storyteller, he has great comedic timing! He seems like a really good guy, too. Thanks for the link.

shunlvswx
03-16-2018, 10:20 AM
Vince is soo nuts, but funny. I laughed when Amy and his inlaws thought it was about Amy. They panned to Amy when he was talking about Amy in the middle of the song. I love that song and the video is soo hilarious.

shunlvswx
03-16-2018, 04:51 PM
A little interview Vince did for St. Louis Post-Dispatch just a few days before their show this Sunday.

http://www.stltoday.com/entertainment/music/kevin-johnson/vince-gill-says-joining-the-eagles-makes-perfect-sense/article_dcaa4c0f-9deb-5b87-84c2-7d9f18f3857b.html

chaim
04-15-2019, 08:54 AM
I started wondering...Has Vince started performing Eagles songs in his solo shows now that he's an Eagle...(well, sort of)?

FreyFollower
04-15-2019, 09:30 AM
I started wondering...Has Vince started performing Eagles songs in his solo shows now that he's an Eagle...(well, sort of)?

Checking thesetlist.fm, I didn't see anything on the last few dates except a piece of "I Can't Tell You Why" as part of an instrumental on one of his songs. I believe this was the song he did on the "Common Threads" Eagles tribute album.

shunlvswx
04-15-2019, 10:27 AM
I don't think Vince has played I Can't Tell You Why since the 90s. He might had it in his setlist through the years, but with majority of the setlist on setlist.fm incomplete, you can't tell if ICTYW was in his setlist after 1993. The last I saw it was in his setlist was in 1995.

I saw him in 2005 and I don't think remember if that song was in the set. He does have ICTYW on his Greatest Hits album from 1995.

CAinOH
04-15-2019, 11:55 AM

Can't speak to performance, but when he came to the area last year for a solo show, the commercial advertising the concert featured Vince singing an Eagles' song in the background.

chaim
04-15-2019, 12:26 PM
After I posted my question I remembered the setlist page. 😁

Delilah
04-15-2019, 12:52 PM
Can't speak to performance, but when he came to the area last year for a solo show, the commercial advertising the concert featured Vince singing an Eagles' song in the background.

Chances are it was the most recent concert footage of him at the time and the promoter wanted to remind the public of his stint with the Eagles.

CAinOH
04-15-2019, 01:51 PM
Chances are it was the most recent concert footage of him at the time and the promoter wanted to remind the public of his stint with the Eagles.

No footage. Just a photo (random Vince Gill with guitar), background music, and announcer. If I remember correctly, it was a benefit for a local church.

Kevin
04-17-2019, 07:10 PM
My son is in a new rock band living and playing in Nashville(Sweet Fever( https://open.spotify.com/track/3Ec06LasknTCzwCSwA462k?si=e0FaDTNnQ-iN7DevwCWf5A ). Funny thing is they were in the studio(Bomb Shelter) getting ready to record a couple songs and they were politely asked to leave. Come to find out Vince Gill called and wanted to use the studio. Gotta step out when one of the best wants the studio.....

Delilah
04-03-2020, 01:38 PM
Vince accepted a “Deep Cuts Challenge” which was started by Tim McGraw on Twitter. Tim asked singers to perform deep cuts which they played when just hanging around the house or back in their younger days. Vince’s challenge came from Luke Combs and his deep cut choice is “Last Dance at the Old Texas Moon.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfAeJg6cMx4