PDA

View Full Version : Corporate gigs?

NightMistBlue
08-01-2017, 11:02 AM
A friend of mine at work has a brother who works for Morgan Stanley. Apparently every year, the company has a big shindig/convention in Las Vegas for their employees (some of them, anyway!) where they hire a major band for a private concert. My friend said they hired the Eagles a few years ago.

This surprised me, as I hadn't heard the Eagles did this. I guess everyone does though, even the Rolling Stones.

sodascouts
08-01-2017, 11:24 AM
Yes, they've done several. We don't always hear about them, but occasionally, pictures will pop up on the internet or we'll hear about it through the grapevine like this time (thanks NMB).

NightMistBlue
08-01-2017, 11:36 AM
It was at the Wynn hotel if anyone is keeping track. My friend couldn't be precise about the year though, just "several years ago." Another fun thing that happens to you in middle age.

Brooke
08-01-2017, 03:04 PM
Yes, I wish we could find out more about these.

A few years ago Glenn did a private show for State Farm Insurance in, I think, Las Vegas. My bnl/snl went and just happened to remember to tell me about it, knowing I was an Eagles fan! I asked if she got any pictures, but alas, no! She was supposed to try to find out if a friend of hers got any, but I never heard back. I was too embarrassed to show my 'obsession' and didn't ask anymore! :blush:

Does anyone know where that last show of Glenn's was in St. Louis?

shunlvswx
08-01-2017, 03:21 PM
If I remembered it was at a school and it was for a guy's 60th Birthday. He must had some big bucks to get the Eagles.

I'm trying to find that video clip right now.

ETA: I found the clip. They played at CBC (Christian Brothers College) High School.

NightMistBlue
11-08-2017, 11:04 AM
The Eagles played a high school in McHenry, Illinois in 1975, according to this year book page, with photos! Apparently it was some kind of contest prize by Milk Duds candy and the Western Communities Football League.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10208653439804540&set=a.1244656567662.2037343.1566813598&type=3&theater

My My
11-08-2017, 11:29 AM
I've read this somewhere before, it may have been here. How cool would that have been! I wish my high school would have done this. I would have contributed a few thousand cards!

My My
11-08-2017, 11:35 AM
BTW, thanks for posting NMB. I don't think I've seen all of the photos that were posted on Facebook.

NightMistBlue
11-08-2017, 11:56 AM
My pleasure. Did you read where the text implied the kids were disappointed at the concert? I wonder why. Maybe it was short.

My My
11-08-2017, 12:31 PM
Yes I did notice that. I can't imagine being disappointed! There is a discussion of this in Eagles memorabilia thread here. Post 1012 talks about wondering about the reason. The next post has a photobucket that I can't access. I find these pictures and this story particularly interesting because it was 1975 and the Eagles with Dan Fogelberg. This was the same year I saw the Eagles(with Fogelberg) for the first time.

New Kid In Town
11-08-2017, 12:44 PM
I remember reading about the concert in the RS memorial issue when Glenn passed. I had read/heard about it way back when. If I remember right, the winner was the school that "had the most school spirit".
Thanks for the link to the pictures. I would have loved for them to play at my HS.

NightMistBlue
11-08-2017, 12:48 PM
I find these pictures and this story particularly interesting because it was 1975 and the Eagles with Dan Fogelberg. This was the same year I saw the Eagles(with Fogelberg) for the first time.

Oh, you lucky thing! Have you ever posted about your experience on these forums? I'd love to read what you remember.

Delilah
11-08-2017, 01:45 PM
The Eagles played a high school in McHenry, Illinois in 1975, according to this year book page, with photos! Apparently it was some kind of contest prize by Milk Duds candy and the Western Communities Football League.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10208653439804540&set=a.1244656567662.2037343.1566813598&type=3&theater

Thanks NMB, that is so cool. New pics from back then are becoming rare. I’ve wondered if there are any pics of the guys in the Westlake School for Girls yearbook. That was their first professional paying gig. I’ve looked around the ‘net but haven’t found anything, There is a Facebook page for school alumni.

(Sorry if this is OT; not a corporate-sponsored gig AFAIK)

NightMistBlue
11-08-2017, 02:41 PM
Oh, D. - now you've implanted an urge in my mind to go and post on the Westlake page asking if anyone has photos or memories of the Eagles gig :)

Brooke
11-08-2017, 03:13 PM
Wow! How cool that would have been!

Delilah
11-08-2017, 03:14 PM
Oh, D. - now you've implanted an urge in my mind to go and post on the Westlake page asking if anyone has photos or memories of the Eagles gig :)

I thought about doing that too, but I’m too shy. You should go for it!

My My
11-08-2017, 03:17 PM
Oh, you lucky thing! Have you ever posted about your experience on these forums? I'd love to read what you remember.

No, I have never posted about them. I will at some point, maybe in the reminiscing thread. I've actually been researching my concerts through newspapers.com for the exact dates and such. I've been finding reviews, ads and a couple of pictures. The 1975 concert was one that I was very interested in because it is listed wrong in all of the concert data. It was supposed to be in April of 1975 at MSA in Indianapolis with Minnie Ripperton, but that was cancelled. They played instead at the Indiana Convention center in August with Dan Fogelberg.

I know I am very lucky that my first concert as a teenager was the Eagles with Dan Fogelberg! How much better can you do than that? I also saw them in Nov 1976, Aug 1978(Riverfront Stadium) and June 1980 about 6 weeks before they broke up. That was another one I had to research as it is not listed in concert data.

New Kid In Town
11-08-2017, 03:23 PM
NMB - Go for it ! How cool would those pictures be ?

NightMistBlue
11-08-2017, 03:28 PM
No, I have never posted about them. I will at some point, maybe in the reminiscing thread. I've actually been researching my concerts through newspapers.com for the exact dates and such. I've been finding reviews, ads and a couple of pictures. The 1975 concert was one that I was very interested in because it is listed wrong in all of the concert data. It was supposed to be in April of 1975 at MSA in Indianapolis with Minnie Ripperton, but that was cancelled. They played instead at the Indiana Convention center in August with Dan Fogelberg.

I know I am very lucky that my first concert as a teenager was the Eagles with Dan Fogelberg! How much better can you do than that? I also saw them in Nov 1976, Aug 1978(Riverfront Stadium) and June 1980 about 6 weeks before they broke up. That was another one I had to research as it is not listed in concert data.

Yes, please! I look forward to reading about your impressions.

Minnie Ripperton opening for the Eagles: what a strange combination.

My My
11-08-2017, 03:42 PM
I know, very strange combination. All I remember of her is the song "Loving You" with the glass shattering notes she hit. Didn't care for that song at all! If she would have opened, it would have changed my entire concert history, as after 1975 the Eagles and Dan Fogelberg were the only acts that I always went to see when they were in town. I saw many concerts in the 70s, but usually only saw the other bands once or twice.

NightMistBlue
11-08-2017, 05:20 PM
I personally dig "Loving You," but it's a polarizing kind of song! Love it or hate it. You know her daughter is the brilliant comedian Maya Rudolph, from SNL?

My My
11-08-2017, 05:30 PM
No, I didn't! Love her!

NightMistBlue
11-08-2017, 05:37 PM
Waaaaay OT: I ended up visiting Minnie Ripperton's grave my last time in Cali. Not intentionally, it's just she's in the same small cemetery as Carl Wilson of the Beach Boys.

OK, back to the Eagles: I wonder if they actually did any shows where Minnie opened for them. We'll have to keep our eyes peeled.

My My
11-08-2017, 06:00 PM
Yes, she did open for them. I've seen it on a ticket stub site. I'll have to look for it!

My My
11-08-2017, 06:40 PM
From matching up tour dates, looks like Drake University April 27, 1975. I know I've seen other dates too. This concert looks like it had the Eagles, Fogelberg and Riperton. Not unusual to have 2 openers in those early days. And Irving managed all three of them!

sodascouts
11-08-2017, 08:55 PM
If you get a chance, I would love to hear about your experience, My My!

Like you guys, as soon as I read the caption, I went "Disappointing?? What??"

Dawn
11-08-2017, 09:55 PM
Waaaaay OT: I ended up visiting Minnie Ripperton's grave my last time in Cali. Not intentionally, it's just she's in the same small cemetery as Carl Wilson of the Beach Boys.

OK, back to the Eagles: I wonder if they actually did any shows where Minnie opened for them. We'll have to keep our eyes peeled.

Carl Wilson. How I love and miss that man. Saw him in concert many times and was devastated when we learned he had passed away. He was a sweet, super talented guy and his beautiful lead singing on God Only Knows has stood the test of time.

Never saw Minnie open for the Eagles. Did see Dan Fogelberg who I was and still am a big fan of.

My My
11-08-2017, 10:10 PM
If you get a chance, I would love to hear about your experience, My My!

Like you guys, as soon as I read the caption, I went "Disappointing?? What??"

Thanks, Soda. I will do that. I need to get some of my articles and ads together so I can post them with my scant memories...it was a long time ago!

And as far as being disappointed, I can't imagine. I remember having really lame convocations in school but being happy to be out of class!

My My
11-08-2017, 10:18 PM
Yes, please! I look forward to reading about your impressions.

Minnie Ripperton opening for the Eagles: what a strange combination.

NMB-another way OT, but couldn't resist. A strange opening act for the Cat Stevens concert that I attended in February 1976 was...magicians! Not at a small venue either, but at an NBA arena! I always tell my youngest son that the seventies were a weird, magical time...now I know why I chose those words!

Magnolia
11-09-2017, 06:50 PM
Given how much they put into their live performances, I can't imagine ever being disappointed in an Eagles show, even if it was short. I would have been over the moon for a free concert especially since they seem to have done a lot of work to get them to perform.

My My
04-24-2018, 01:52 PM
My pleasure. Did you read where the text implied the kids were disappointed at the concert? I wonder why. Maybe it was short.

I finally bit the bullet and upgraded my newspapers.com subscription to include papers from all over, not just Indianapolis. I ran across an article from an Illinois paper written by student reporters from McHenry High School.

They wrote that it was a promotional concert for the Eagles' newest album, OOTN.

Songs played were, OOTN, Journey of the Sorcerer, and Too Many Hands. These were listed as songs from the new album, so I'm not sure if these were the only songs played or if these were the only new songs. No other songs were listed.

Dan Fogelberg and Fool's "Goal" were referred to as the back up band. The article then went on to explain that "the back up band leads off the concert."

The student reporters got to interview a few members.
"We're not nervous," said Rand Meisner who plays bass, "and we wanted to come. We were in high school once and wanted to see if it has changed."
Glen Frey said, "We each do our share of writing songs."

From another area newspaper I found out that 1800 students attended This paper said that along with the Eagles, the Dan "Fullerton" band performed! Poor Dan... and he's an Illinois boy!

Dawn
04-24-2018, 02:18 PM
Very interesting My My thanks for sharing!!

New Kid In Town
04-24-2018, 02:24 PM
I finally bit the bullet and upgraded my newspapers.com subscription to include papers from all over, not just Indianapolis. I ran across an article from an Illinois paper written by student reporters from McHenry High School.

They wrote that it was a promotional concert for the Eagles' newest album, OOTN.

Songs played were, OOTN, Journey of the Sorcerer, and Too Many Hands. These were listed as songs from the new album, so I'm not sure if these were the only songs played or if these were the only new songs. No other songs were listed.

Dan Fogelberg and Fool's "Goal" were referred to as the back up band. The article then went on to explain that "the back up band leads off the concert."

"We're not nervous," said Rand Meisner who plays bass, "and we wanted to come. We were in high school once and wanted to see if it has changed."

From another area newspaper I found out that 1800 students attended This paper said that along with the Eagles, the Dan "Fullerton" band performed! Poor Dan... and he's an Illinois boy!

Hi My My - Cute story. If I remember right, a story about this was in RS Magazine way back when. The HS won a contest sponsored by a radio station. The HS that displayed the most "school spirit" won a free concert by the Eagles. And, that HS won and the Eagles did the concert in the HS gym. Boy, I would have loved to have them do a concert at my HS.

My My
04-24-2018, 04:09 PM
You're welcome, Dawn.

Hi, NKIT! You're right, it was a contest for school spirit put on by a Chicago radio station. There was a little controversy over the contest. Only two high schools got their entries in by the contest deadline, one being McHenry who ended up winning. The radio station ended up extending the deadline to get more entries in. Needless to say, McHenry was not very happy about it. They collected a lot more entries, winning the contest anyway.

Delilah
04-24-2018, 05:21 PM

Wow, My My, thanks so much for finding out more about this. Those students who got to interview the members are so lucky! I guess if they only played those 3 relatively new songs, I can understand why the students were disappointed (if it indeed they were). Do you know the exact date the band performed?

And yes, poor Dan!

My My
04-24-2018, 05:56 PM
The student article is from a paper dated Friday, May 16, 1975. The article said that the concert took place on Monday, which would be May 12, 1975. I'm sure it was hard to fit in this mini concert into their schedule at the time. In reading through several articles from April and May of that year, I found that many of their concerts were postponed, as was my first Eagles concert. Mine was scheduled for April and actually ended up being in August. I read in one article that several weeks of concerts were rescheduled due to the band working on the OOTN album.

NightMistBlue
04-25-2018, 05:45 PM
Very interesting. Thank you so much, My My!!