PDA

View Full Version : Performing Songwriter magazine

DonFan
01-15-2008, 11:32 PM
Run, don't walk, to your nearest bookstore and buy a copy of the Jan/Feb issue of Performing Songwriter with Don on the cover. Here is a preview:

http://www.performingsongwriter.com/pages/home/main_top.cfm

It contains an insightful seven-page interview with him with a number of fantastic photographs scattered throughout the magazine, not only of Don and the Eagles but their close friends as well. The back page of the magazine includes a 1972 shot by Henry Diltz of J. D. Souther and Jackson Browne from the famous Desperado shoot. J. D. also reveals the backstory behind "How Long." An excerpt: "I'm always happy when they cut anything of mine. Nobody makes better records of my songs."

I enjoyed the entire interview with Don, especially his answer to the following:
"What advice would you give to young artists who look up to you in the way that you looked up to your heroes?"

His answer, in part: "Avoid the limelight unless it is absolutely necessary for you to be in it in order to call attention to your work--and don't overexpose yourself.
In the end, the quality of your work--your songs, your recordings, your live performances--is the only thing that matters.
Be kind, be grateful, be patient. And above all, try to keep your sense of humour.
It can get mighty cold and windy at the top of the mountain, but the view up there is really fantastic."

First-rate stuff. I loved it!

sodascouts
01-15-2008, 11:53 PM
Awesome! I'm off to Barnes and Noble!

Maleah
01-16-2008, 12:32 AM
Me too!!!!!!!

EasyFeeling
01-16-2008, 06:32 AM
Can someone please scan and post it here for a poor creature like me who's not able to get this? :?:

Brooke
01-16-2008, 10:51 AM
Very cool! I'm also on my way!

Thanks DF! :D

Freypower
01-16-2008, 05:42 PM
That's great! What a lovely photo on the cover!

http://www.performingsongwriter.com/pages/shop/issues_current.cfm

I liked the 'Frey decides what we do' bit. Speaking of 'Frey' how I wish he'd do interviews like this.

Anyway as soon as I can find this I'll buy it. I've never bought this magazine before.

Glennsallnighter
01-16-2008, 06:07 PM
That sounds like a very good interview DF. I'll look for it in Borders although I don't know if they stock it in Ireland! :roll:

Brooke
01-19-2008, 05:57 PM
Dang, I checked everywhere I could think of in my neighboring decent size town for this magazine and no one had it! :x Of course, our only bookstore, Borders, barely has magazines at all!

Does anyone know if you could buy a copy from them or do you have to have a subscription?

sodascouts
01-19-2008, 06:02 PM
You can easily buy a copy from them and, if you miss it while it's new, buy it as a back issue. That's what I did for the Billboard magazine.

katherine5832
01-19-2008, 07:53 PM
Thanks for the tip about the magazine DF. I got mine today. My sister and I went to Borders today and I found it there. When I walked up to my sister who was elsewhere in the store, she asked what I had. When I held it up she just rolled her eyes. I told her, "Hey! We all have our little obsessions!" Anyway, I've read the article and it was quite good. He's looking mighty fine on the cover (and in the other pics too). And check out the last page of the mag for a picture of Jackson Browne and J. D. Souther during the Desperado shoot. I wish there had been one of the other guys, but I guess we can't have everything.

glenneaglesfan
01-20-2008, 09:04 AM
Thanks for that link, DF. That's a lovely picture of Don with the mountains in the background. I may have to buy a copy!

Katherine, I know those rolling eyes very well! On the rare occasions I've found an Eagles article in a British magazine, my sons have usually spotted it!

Maleah
01-21-2008, 02:38 PM
Today I went to Barnes & Noble to find this magazine and was thrilled to find it! I was suprised to see a goatee on Don! I couldn't tell he had one in the picture on their site. Anyway, it was cute because I had taken the magazine up to pay for it and the lady that was running the register (whom I'm guessing was anywhere from 36-45) took several looks at the magazine and asked me "So are you a performing songwriter then?" I said "well, I do try to write some songs now and then, but I'm buying it mainly because i'm a big Don Henley fan." She looks at it again and goes "wow....he just hasn't aged a bit. Just as gorgeous as ever." I grin stupidly of course and say how happy I am to find someone who doesn't look at me weird when I told them I was a Don Henley fan at my age. She goes "oh no.....he changed the face of music forever! It will never be the same!" I left grinning like an idiot after agreeing profusely with her of course :D

EasyFeeling
01-21-2008, 02:44 PM
http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/froehlich/g020.gif http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/froehlich/g020.gif http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/froehlich/g020.gif
Too funny, Maleah.

DonFan
01-21-2008, 04:50 PM
Maleah, that salesclerk has exquisite taste.

Maleah
01-21-2008, 05:00 PM
I know! If she hadn't yelled "I can help whoever's next" after that........I probably would have went on and on and on and on and on about just how right she was. :lol:

Ive always been a dreamer
01-21-2008, 05:17 PM
I know! If she hadn't yelled "I can help whoever's next" after that........I probably would have went on and on and on and on and on about just how right she was. :lol:

Yep - Sounds like that girl's got potential! :D :D

Mrs Frey
01-23-2008, 09:12 AM
Run, don't walk, to your nearest bookstore and buy a copy of the Jan/Feb issue of Performing Songwriter with Don on the cover. Here is a preview:

http://www.performingsongwriter.com/pages/home/main_top.cfm

It contains an insightful seven-page interview with him with a number of fantastic photographs scattered throughout the magazine, not only of Don and the Eagles but their close friends as well. The back page of the magazine includes a 1972 shot by Henry Diltz of J. D. Souther and Jackson Browne from the famous Desperado shoot. J. D. also reveals the backstory behind "How Long." An excerpt: "I'm always happy when they cut anything of mine. Nobody makes better records of my songs."

I enjoyed the entire interview with Don, especially his answer to the following:
"What advice would you give to young artists who look up to you in the way that you looked up to your heroes?"

His answer, in part: "Avoid the limelight unless it is absolutely necessary for you to be in it in order to call attention to your work--and don't overexpose yourself.
In the end, the quality of your work--your songs, your recordings, your live performances--is the only thing that matters.
Be kind, be grateful, be patient. And above all, try to keep your sense of humour.
It can get mighty cold and windy at the top of the mountain, but the view up there is really fantastic."

First-rate stuff. I loved it!

I'm a bit late on this, but thanks for this information, DF. I haven't had a chance to go into the link you've provided, but the extract from the interview you posted is great. I particularly enjoyed the last line. It's little wonder that he writes such great songs when he makes statements like that in his interviews. Wow.

I haven't seen the magazine locally, unfortunately. :(

Mrs Frey
01-23-2008, 09:20 AM
Today I went to Barnes & Noble to find this magazine and was thrilled to find it! I was suprised to see a goatee on Don! I couldn't tell he had one in the picture on their site. Anyway, it was cute because I had taken the magazine up to pay for it and the lady that was running the register (whom I'm guessing was anywhere from 36-45) took several looks at the magazine and asked me "So are you a performing songwriter then?" I said "well, I do try to write some songs now and then, but I'm buying it mainly because i'm a big Don Henley fan." She looks at it again and goes "wow....he just hasn't aged a bit. Just as gorgeous as ever." I grin stupidly of course and say how happy I am to find someone who doesn't look at me weird when I told them I was a Don Henley fan at my age. She goes "oh no.....he changed the face of music forever! It will never be the same!" I left grinning like an idiot after agreeing profusely with her of course :D

That's wonderful, Maleah! I also get excited when I meet people who are Eagles fans, especially when they're my age or younger. I understand how you feel about people looking at you funny - I had that all the time in my school days when my peers found out I was into Elvis and The Beatles. :roll: That cashier certainly has great taste! :D

Mrs Frey
01-23-2008, 09:24 AM

LOL, Maleah! I would have done the same!

Brooke
01-27-2008, 09:59 PM
I finally got my copy yesterday in the mail. As I was reading the article today I couldn't help but laugh at some of Don's comments. I especially loved this one "Frey decides what we're going to do, and then we do it."

I guess that tells us just exactly who is in charge! :wink:

It was a really great interview! :D