PDA

View Full Version : LROOE press

Pages : [1] 2

DonFan
01-16-2008, 08:15 PM
I love it when reviewers start out to bash the Eagles, and then all of a sudden they realize how talented the guys really are. Case in point:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rhythm & Views By JIM LIPSON --The Tucson Weekly, 1-16-08

EAGLES--Long Road Out of Eden (Eagles Recording)

The appropriate knee-jerk reaction here is, "How many times will hell freeze over before we are done with this aging, overhyped, self-important band?" On top of this, the Eagles had the audacity to award Wal-Mart, the evil empire itself, an exclusive distribution deal. The only problems with this line of rhetoric: 1. It's not really a commercial album; 2. It's a double CD they've priced at only $11; 3. There's a killer collection of tunes, many of which are pleasantly surprising in scope and presentation.

"No More Walks in the Wood" embodies this most. This near a cappella tune opens the album with a stunning, if melancholy, set of harmonies; it's a haunting poem given just enough music to make it special. What follows is "How Long," a J.D. Souther tune that evokes the best of Eagles vintage 1973, back when bassist Timothy B. Schmit and the country-rock sensibility he brought over from Poco defined their sound. Then there's "Busy Being Fabulous," a monster groove more suitable for a juicy R&B outfit than our perception of the Eagles.

Glenn Frey and Don Henley are the principal writers, but there are lots of helping hands throughout in co-songwriters, producers and players, all helping to push the creative edge. There are a handful of cringe moments, especially when the strings and syrupy ballads kick in. But there is also a substance and lyrical depth to this recording that almost makes it a concept album, especially on the second disc. The Eagles as a creatively relevant force in the 21st century--whodathunkit?

glenneaglesfan
01-17-2008, 07:39 AM
Great review, thanks Donfan! The guys continue to surprise the press!

tbs fanatic
01-17-2008, 12:53 PM
Ha! Well I'm glad he was big enough to admit it's a great album as he obviously hasn't been the biggest Eagles fan.

Brooke
01-17-2008, 02:14 PM
The Eagles as a creatively relevant force in the 21st century--whodathunkit?

Me! :bye: And everyone else here! :wink: :lol:

Ive always been a dreamer
01-17-2008, 03:01 PM
Ditto Brooke!

DonFan
01-17-2008, 03:26 PM
Ain't it the truth? :D
Some people have a hard time recognizing creative genius when they see it.
Those of us here, however, have NO problem giving the guys their due! :applause:

Glennsallnighter
01-17-2008, 05:26 PM
Well thats from me too! I got a kick out of reading that as well. Shows how wrong preconceived notions can be. Thanks for posting DF!

timfan
01-19-2008, 12:30 PM
a new interview/article with Don and Glenn from the Canadian newspaper The Globe and Mail.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20080119.EAGLES19/TPStory/TPEntertainment/Music/

I will be picking up a print copy of this paper this morning. :D

DonFan
01-19-2008, 01:00 PM
Thanks for posting, TF.
I particularly liked the part about Velcro:

Synthesizing the smooth harmonies of country music with studio-polished rock, they became the embodiment of the laid-back Southern California rock sound. "We always incorporated every kind of music into our stuff," explains Henley. "Glenn and I were both big soul-music fans, and Motown fans, and R&B fans. But nobody at the time ever seemed to notice that. We were always a 'country-rock' band, come hell or high water. That label stuck to us like Velcro - we just couldn't shake it."

rcknalwys
01-19-2008, 01:09 PM
great article, thanks for sharing it TimFan. I especially like "I know, I'm going to be like 90 years old before they get done," . Wouldn't it be wonderful to have another 30 years of Eagles?

Glennsallnighter
01-19-2008, 05:46 PM
They might even do another tour! :wink:

Brooke
01-19-2008, 05:52 PM
Great find, tf! :D

sodascouts
01-19-2008, 05:57 PM
Thanks for posting the article!

glenneaglesfan
01-20-2008, 08:55 AM
Thanks for posting that, tf. A nice positive interview, and I like the interviewer's description of It's Your World Now.

01-20-2008, 11:42 AM
Great find, tf. Hmmm - I can't wait to see what the ticket prices will be for the Farewell XII shows. :D :D

Freypower
01-20-2008, 05:57 PM
Very nice, but as Glenn was only quoted once, I suspect that he wasn't actually interviewed.

DonFan
01-28-2008, 01:57 PM
A couple of excerpts from Great American Country's website--GAC.com:

January 28, 2008 — The Eagles' Don Henley and Glenn Frey are so well-respected as songwriters that they were inducted eight years ago into the Songwriters Hall of Fame. But that doesn't mean the job comes easy. Their current single, "Busy Being Fabulous," is a perfect case in point.

"That was my song, my title," Don says. "I got about half of it written, and then I got stuck, and then Glenn came in and helped me finish it. I'd almost given up on it, frankly. I just said, 'This is not that good. I can't do it.'"

sodascouts
01-28-2008, 04:01 PM
Thanks for posting that! I still think it was partially inspired by Stevie. ;)

Freypower
01-28-2008, 06:00 PM
Soda, I know that was tongue in cheek and I know you said 'partially' but....

I've said before that I think Don is capable of writing about other women than Stevie Nicks. The lyrics specifically refer to the woman's family, something Stevie Nicks has never had.

sodascouts
01-28-2008, 06:12 PM
And as I've said before, I too believe Don is capable of writing about some other woman than Stevie. I'll never understand why you insist on misrepresenting my viewpoint every time this subject comes up, always implying that I can't conceive of him writing about any other woman.

As you admit, I used the word "partially" inspired, which means she is one of several inspirations - and he says as much himself - that the song is an amalgam of several people. Is it really terribly unrealistic to speculate she might be one of those people? No, she does not have a family - hence partially inspired - but did Don even write that part? I was under the impression Glenn was the one who wrote most of the verses.

Can you not even allow for the possibility?

DonFan
02-14-2008, 03:56 PM
This isn't exactly LROOE press, it is Irving press, but nevertheless:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Irving Azoff was named personal manager of the year at the Pollstar Awards last week.

Irving Azoff accepted the Manager of the Year from presenters Taylor Swift and David Coverdale but it was Joe Walsh and Timothy B. Schmit who delivered the trophy on stage. Azoff took the opportunity to tell the crowd a Walsh story involving adjacent rooms and a chainsaw. Irving also thanked the crowd even though "we probably screwed everyone in this room."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

You just gotta love Irving. As the guys have said, he may be Satan, but he is THEIR Satan. :twisted:

sodascouts
02-14-2008, 09:35 PM
Definitely appropriate for Joe Walsh to be one of the presenters, since they go so way back. It was cool of Timothy to come, too - guess Glenn and Don were busy!

I never know what to make of Azoff. I've heard some things about him that make him sound kind of unethical, but the guys like him so I guess I should give him the benefit of the doubt.

DonFan
02-15-2008, 07:32 PM
Our newspaper's "City Scene" entertainment section has a Flashback page with great moments in entertainment history, and for once they actually included the Eagles.

It said, "This week in 1976, The Eagles released their Greatest Hits album." Below it was a picture of the album cover with the caption, "One of these nights, kids today will realize music doesn't get much better than this."

Glennsallnighter
02-16-2008, 04:32 AM
And that quote is just as meaningful 32 years later when the 'kids' who loved the Eagles in the 70s are passing them onto their kids now!

02-16-2008, 06:42 PM
That is so true, GA. After more than 3 decades, this is still some of the best music ever written/recorded. My young nieces and nephews love it. As my travel companions can attest to, my 10 year old niece wanted so badly to be with me at Pebble Beach. She called me several times to "instruct" me on what to tell Glenn. Her favorite is Joe, so I couldn't even tell her about my trip to Atlantic City to see Joe last year, especially since I was supposed to meet him at the M&G. I have promised my nieces that I will take them to at least one show when they tour. The 10 year old has informed me that she wants to sit in the first row. Silly little girl!

Now, as far as Irving, I don't pretend to know how much or little he is involved in the inter-workings of the band. But, say what you will about him, under his guidance, the Eagles have become THE most legendary and successful American band ever. Their Satan indeed.

Glennsallnighter
02-17-2008, 06:05 AM
Well my kids demand either LROOE, Greatest hits or Glenn :heart: 's Universal Masters Collection in the car. I don't get a look in any more!

sodascouts
04-01-2008, 06:40 PM
This interview hasn't been posted, has it?

"Don Henley Looks Back at His Rock'n'Roll Days" (http://www.mirror.co.uk/showbiz/latest/2008/03/17/eagles-week-don-henley-looks-back-at-his-rock-roll-days-89520-20353765/)

Here's how it starts out ...

Don Henley looks back at his rock & roll days
By Alun Palmer 17/03/2008

It is a question Don Henley is ready for. During the 60s and 70s Don and his band the Eagles rock and rolled their way through every drink and drug that came their way.

But that is history - and now Don is the father of three children who will one day ask him about drugs.

"They are still very young and they haven't really asked me any pointed questions but I am prepared for that," he says. "I will tell them I have some regrets and that I wasted a lot of precious time and not a few brain cells.

"It was something that practically everyone was doing. It was a time when there was a generation that was coming of age and experimenting with whatever they could get their hands on.

"But in our case - luckily - not a great deal of damage was done. We managed to remain productive through that period, making albums, touring and being successful.

"We were, and still are, very resilient people. I am thankful that we all came through it and made it out on to the other side.

"Today, I enjoy a glass of good claret and the kids have seen me doing that on occasion, so it is hard to talk to them of total abstinence."

katherine5832
04-01-2008, 07:36 PM
That was a great article. I read it a few weeks ago - I think I got it in a Google Alert - and was going to alert you to it, but it got lost in the shuffle. I enjoyed reading it again. I admire how candid he is about his past and what he said about how he'll explain it to his kids. And I'm imagining him on the school board. I bet the school board meetings are very well attended! :wink:

DonFan
04-01-2008, 07:49 PM
Thanks for that great interview, Soda! Where is it from? I have never seen it--it must've come out while I was sans computer at the beach with my daughter for spring break.

It is nice to hear him talk about Sharon for a change. He mentions his kids from time to time, but rarely talks about his wife. And he is brutally honest about marriage, as he is about most topics, especially when he talked about the fact that some time apart can be good for their relationship. I have been married over 20 years and I feel the same way--it is good to have a little "space" every now and then.

And I love the bit about the “boring” school meetings! I would go to school meetings if I knew Don would be there, and they would be ANYTHING but boring!

sodascouts
04-01-2008, 09:32 PM
The post date is the 17th - so I guess that would fit! I too was away at the time. Glad you guys enjoyed the read (even though it was your second time, katherine). It's an interesting article!

tbs fanatic
04-02-2008, 11:32 AM
That was an interesting read. Don seems a real family guy.

Joe was in the Blues Brothers? Okay, now I have to go rent that and look for him :D

sodascouts
04-02-2008, 11:41 AM
Joe's hard to spot - I can tell you if you want to know now, though!

samo
04-02-2008, 12:44 PM
tbs fanatic,

Joe is in the very end of the Blues Brothers when Jake and Elwood are back in prison. Their band is playing for their fellow inmates and Joe plays one of the inmates. You only get a brief shot of him. I think he is one of the first inmates to jump up and start dancing on top of the table.

Classic movie!! :wink:

Sarah

samo
04-02-2008, 12:46 PM
oops!! Sorry if I spilled the beans.

Sarah :blush:

tbs fanatic
04-02-2008, 05:27 PM
LOL - I have seen the movie (several times) - it is a classic. I doubt I payed much attention to the prisoners at the end. I'll have to look.

glenneaglesfan
04-02-2008, 07:23 PM
Soda, thanks for posting that interview. It's a bit more personal than many that Don has done. He's opening up a bit! It's good to hear that he is bringing up his children with the help of their grandparents - it sounds as if they are having a good normal upbringing so far. I'm sure they will turn out well. And good for Don to be on the school board - we can sympathise with him there!

sodascouts
04-08-2008, 04:02 PM
Here's a cute little British commercial for LROOE:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSCdAIqUq1M

Perfect Little Sister
04-08-2008, 04:10 PM
LOL! That was cute Soda.

DonFan
04-08-2008, 05:14 PM
I liked that better than any commercials they run for LROOE here!

Glennsallnighter
04-08-2008, 06:44 PM
Very cute Soda, and look at the comments. Its amazing what us teachers will get up to in our spare moments :wink: .

DonFan
05-15-2008, 10:48 PM
http://www.rollingstone.com

The next issue of Rolling Stone has the Eagles on the cover. There is a fascinating excerpt from the article on their site, plus a slideshow of great old pictures--many of them I have never seen before!

05-15-2008, 11:37 PM
Very cool! Thanks for this, DF. OMG - how long has it been since I actually purchased an issue of Rolling Stone magazine - probably the last time the Eagles were on the cover back in the '70's. I'll bet it cost about $0.35 back then. I wonder what this issue will cost???? :hmm:

DonFan
05-15-2008, 11:44 PM
RS costs $4.50 now.

Share1967
05-16-2008, 02:23 AM
Great interview with Don. It was nice to see a mention of his wife Sharon. I wonder if she ever attends public events with him......

Mrs Frey
05-16-2008, 02:36 AM
Thanks for the link, DF! I hope this copy of Rolling Stone will make its way to our waters!

DonFan
05-16-2008, 09:40 AM
Great interview with Don. It was nice to see a mention of his wife Sharon. I wonder if she ever attends public events with him......

Do you have the magazine already, share? Because the excerpt doesn't mention Sharon. I called our bookstore and they don't have this issue yet. I can't wait to read the rest of the article--Charles Young is quite an accomplished writer. Love these descriptions of Don:

"His steel-blue eyes pierce all surrounding objects with consternation. And he works his jaw while he thinks, as if checking the words for taste and texture before his tongue is permitted to present them to other humans. Encyclopedic on everything from global warming to high school textbooks, he can deliver opinions like a volcano delivers lava."

Mrs Frey
05-16-2008, 10:06 AM
That is indeed a wonderful description of Don, and great writing too!

DonFan
05-16-2008, 03:20 PM
I just got my copy of the article, and it is a fascinating read.

The entire article is great, but this part spoke to me in particular. We finally get to hear the story about Don's work boots:

"I've been playing music in those boots for 30 years. They're indestructible Red Wing work boots and they've been around the world several times. I bought them on July 7th of 1977, on the fifth anniversary of my dad's passing. He had a similar pair and he used to plow in them behind a mule. I wear them in honor of him and to remember where I came from."

I completely understand. I will never say another word about those boots.

Brooke
05-16-2008, 04:11 PM
:shock: Wow, Don is sentimental! That's a neat story! Can you believe they are that old?! Good for you, Don!

I'm with you, DF. I won't gripe anymore either!

DonFan
05-16-2008, 04:23 PM
:shock: Wow, Don is sentimental!

I KNOW. I am hugely sentimental too, especially about my father, who passed away four years ago in August. Just one more reason why I am so drawn to Don.

Freypower
05-16-2008, 06:56 PM
Here is the cover:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/ozeagle/Eagles%20General/RollingStoneCover.jpg

Don, we know you wish it was only a single disc.

I hope that Glenn gets interviewed as well.

This is the first time since 1979 and it is a big event.

DonFan
05-16-2008, 07:23 PM
Glenn did get interviewed, FP--all four of them did. They all had very interesting things to say. I think you will enjoy reading it.

05-16-2008, 10:10 PM
I like that picture of all of them except Don. Okay, we said earlier in this thread that we shouldn't diss Don's boots anymore. And I agree - that is such a sweet story about how he wears the boots for his Dad. However, we didn't say anything about hair. I don't like Don's beard there - too much gray. Stop trying to look old, Don - keep all of the gray hidden!!!! :wink: Can't wait until this issue hits the newsstands. I want that picture even with Don's gray facial hair.

sodascouts
05-16-2008, 10:39 PM
Wow, what a sweet story about the boots. I'm never complaining again either!

I can't wait to read the whole article!

glenneaglesfan
05-17-2008, 06:01 PM
Wow, thanks for the info and the link, DF. 1979 to 2008 - quite a gap. I'm pleased that Charles Young has given them a good review - I still remember that baseball match!

Don's explanation about his boots is touching.

I'm going to be calling in daily to see if this is in my local newsagent.

Glennsallnighter
05-18-2008, 03:41 PM
So am I!! :D

sodascouts
05-18-2008, 10:54 PM
I got it yesterday from Barnes and Noble over in the Woodlands (visiting the parents in Houston). I read it over - a few comments:

- I've always loved Don with facial hair and I still do. It's so edgy and masculine. Love the outfit, too.

- I noticed that Felder was cropped out of the 1978 photo of the Eagles, and the only former Eagle not interviewed (there were brief bits from Randy and Bernie in a sidebar, but Felder's quotes came exclusively from his book). Ouch! Also, Young took a Glenn quote from Felder's book without citing (Young wrote "Frey has been quoted..." and left out the "by Felder in his book"). It's the old passive voice cop-out. Tsk, tsk, Young!

- I wish there were more new/recent photos.

- I love that opening portrait of Don amongst computer screens and HD TVs. So much for the "Henley as technophobe" perception, erroneously derived from his hostility towards the internet.

- While I felt Young spent too much time reminiscing about his 1978/1979 trip with the Eagles, I did find the recouting of an old conversation with Don funny. Back in 1979, they'd complained about the sound quality of vinyl, yet nowadays, many classic rockers (including Don) have expressed nostalgia for LPs.

- I was impressed that Don gave props to John McCain. Many people are so rabid about their party affiliation that they demonize anyone who is a member of the opposing party. Those kind of self-righteous people and the divisive hatred they spew about anyone who disagrees with them are what's wrong with this country, I believe. I'm glad Don hasn't fallen into that trap. It makes me respect him even more.

- Don admits he "stewed about" not getting his way with the double album. I guess that explains all the pissy interviews he gave around its release! But, happily, he's gotten over it, although he did say that he still thinks it should have been a single album. (One would think the album's #1 status has vindicated Glenn's decision to make it a double album.)

- Young compares Glenn Frey to Jack Kerouac and Don Henley to the prophet Jeremiah when discussing the themes of their music in the seventies. I found these comparisons interesting, but I dislike the tendency to put each into a thematic box. This flaw persists in the article.

- I liked how Young describes Glenn's laugh as "explosive" and "contagious." However, his "coiled energy" thing - how everyone is grateful when he doesn't "uncoil" in their direction - is very reminiscent of what Young wrote about Glenn in the 1979 article. In 1979, he quoted Glenn's mom, who said Glenn was like a rattlesnake waiting to strike. Get a bit more creative, Chuck.

- I was happy to see that Young gave Glenn props for stepping back and allowing Don to share the spotlight back in the day.

- Glenn's statement that the Eagles were a vacation now from the demanding (and rewarding) job of being a husband/father really illustrates how different his life is now. I love his positive attitude and appreciation for what he has.

- When Tim talks about his time after the Eagles broke up and before the resumption, he characterizes his backup work as "whoring." Yikes! I do like that he admits that he didn't have it so bad when compared to the everyday working man.

- Loved the bit about Don's workboots.

- I was interested to read Don's responses to the Felder lawsuit, since I thought he'd never comment on it. I think he should have toned down the "Felder didn't bring anything to the party" angle. I mean, the man co-wrote Hotel California! Glenn remains silent on the topic, refusing to trash Felder publicly even in the name of self-defense (this even though he was Felder's main target).

- Who knew Joe was a Buddhist? Good for him going to church on Easter morning, though.

- Joe's comments on the dangers of digital editing to a perfectionist like Don made me laugh!

- I also loved Joe's reaction to Don's comment that he wished they had taken a few more months with the album. He says "Then it would have been a TRIPLE album!"

- At one point, Glenn says that without Don Henley, the Eagles would be Air Supply. I know he was just being humble and praising Don to the skies as he always does; however, the statement inadvertantly diminished not only himself but Joe and Tim. I wish he wouldn't build up Don by putting himself down.

All in all, while I wish Young had focused more about the music and less about the power struggles, and while I wish he had avoided the reductive Glenn-fun-loving-arranging/Don-gloomy-political-lyricist stereotypes, I'm glad the Eagles did the interview. Very cool!

DonFan
05-18-2008, 11:28 PM
- I've always loved Don with facial hair and I still do. It's so edgy and masculine. Love the outfit, too!

I like the facial hair too. I wondered about the outfit, though--Don's son Will must be a boy scout.

- I love that opening portrait of Don amongst computer screens and HD TVs. So much for the "Henley as technophobe" perception, erroneously derived from his hostility towards the internet.

My thoughts exactly. I was also pleased to read Don's comments about John McCain.

- At one point, Glenn says that without Don Henley, the Eagles would be Air Supply. I know he was just being humble and praising Don to the skies as he always does; however, the statement inadvertantly diminished not only himself but Joe and Tim. I wish he wouldn't build up Don by putting himself down.

That is not how I perceived Glenn's comments at all. Glenn said: "Don has an incredible ability to get the message across and be entertaining at the same time. That is such an important component of the band. You can't just go 'tadummm-We're all going to hell in a Hummer--tadummm.' Not being contrived is what sets us apart. Without Don, we'd just be love songs and harmonies. We'd be Air Supply."

He said Don is an important component of the band--he doesn't say THE most important. There are four important components in this band. I'm afraid I don't see how that comment diminishes himself and the others.

sodascouts
05-18-2008, 11:53 PM
That is not how I perceived Glenn's comments at all. Glenn said: "Don has an incredible ability to get the message across and be entertaining at the same time. That is such an important component of the band. You can't just go 'tadummm-We're all going to hell in a Hummer--tadummm.' Not being contrived is what sets us apart.

Nothing about this section of the quote diminishes anyone. It's a great description of Don's abilities and an important element of his contributions, which are incontrovertibly essential to the band.

But Glenn doesn't stop there. He follows it with..

Without Don, we'd just be love songs and harmonies. We'd be Air Supply."

Unless you're a big fan of Air Supply, then this last comment diminishes everyone but Don.

Freypower
05-19-2008, 12:00 AM
I think the 'Air Supply' thing is far, far too harsh and self-deprecating. There is NOTHING WRONG with Glenn's songs. The other thing is Glenn chooses to write songs like that. If he thinks they are so unimportant and trivial why then doesn't he try writing songs more in Don's vein? Does he really think he is so unequal to the task? He is very generous to Don and what he says has some truth. But there is no need to downgrade himself so much.

I wouldn't mind this so much if occasionally Don would favour us with some compliments to Glenn. Instead we get the 'Mr Frey wants to do this' stuff.

And I agree with Soda's last comments on the Glenn and Don stereotypes. There is far more to them both than that.

sodascouts
05-19-2008, 12:17 AM
Glenn is the king of self-deprecation. At solo shows, the vast majority of his jokes are at his own expense. Now, these are all in good fun, of course. However, it goes to illustrate that despite those who would accuse him of an oversized ego, he acts very humble. He is always generous with his praise of his bandmates and reluctant to "toot his own horn." Indeed, he's often downplaying his own contributions in favor of others (as the above quote shows).

Still, I don't think that he considers his own songs unimportant or his work to be inferior to Don's, although his comment does seem to imply that. I just think he was trying to compliment Don and went too far.

I also want to add that while Don doesn't directly compliment Glenn in the article, the way he talks about Glenn's role as leader shows that Don respects Glenn and it is an indirect compliment. Additionally, we don't know what was edited out by Young. It's possible that Don did praise Glenn directly and Young simply left it out in favor of the drama.

DonFan
05-19-2008, 12:41 AM
I also want to add that while Don doesn't directly compliment Glenn in the article, the way he talks about Glenn's role as leader shows that Don respects Glenn and it is an indirect compliment. Additionally, we don't know what was edited out by Young. It's possible that Don did praise Glenn directly and Young simply left it out in favor of the drama.

Good point. Believe me, I am very well acquainted with writers and editors, and the choices that are made in editing can be questionable.

And as for the two of them complementing each other: personally, Glenn's oft-quoted statement that "No one can suck the fun out of a room faster than Don Henley" gets on my nerves, and that quoted again in this article, too.

sodascouts
05-19-2008, 01:32 AM
And as for the two of them complementing each other: personally, Glenn's oft-quoted statement that "No one can suck the fun out of a room faster than Don Henley" gets on my nerves, and that quoted again in this article, too.

Glenn said that privately 30 years ago. We only know about it because Felder put it in his book.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make with this quote.

Mrs Frey
05-19-2008, 03:41 AM
Wow, I hope I can get my hands on this edition of Rolling Stone - all the comments here are very interesting.

Thanks for your analysis, Soda - much appreciated.

FP, thanks for posting the cover for us - good Lord, the guys look so good. :smitten:

Glenn :heart: certainly is very humble, although I don't think comparing the Eagles with Air Supply if they were without Don is necessarily a put down of himself or the others. Air Supply is a good band - he was just making the point that Don is the topical writer in the band, IMHO, which is the case. Glenn :heart: has written great topical material in the past, but we know his preference for love songs, and as FP states, there is nothing wrong with that. His writing and voice are exquisite, and every bit as good as Don. Their styles complement each other, and make what the Eagles are - not exclusively love songs, or exclusively topical material either. Variety is the spice of life, and the Eagles give us a variety - one of the reasons I love them so much. They are never boring. Add to Glenn :heart: and Don the gentle singing of Tim and the hard rocking of Joe, and you get one of the most versatile bands in the world.

Brooke
05-19-2008, 09:03 AM
I'm really enjoying everyone's comments here and cannot wait to get hold of a copy for myself! It's got to be pretty cool for The Eagles to find themselves on the cover of the Rolling Stone again after all these years!

The comment about the band being like Air Suppy made me nearly choke on my coffee with laughter! I can't even imagine Joe Walsh being in the same sentence as Air Supply!
:woah: :rofl:

They all look great in that pic, too! :D

zermie
05-19-2008, 10:59 AM
Its true the comments at Glenn's solo shows are normally good natured and humorous, but he shocked even my deviant ears a few years ago at a show in Vegas, saying he missed the '70s because it was the golden age of f****ng. And specualting about sex with Jenna Jameson. Quite the potty mouth that nite.

05-19-2008, 12:15 PM
Hmmm - Wonder what Glenn had on his mind that night. Oh nevermind, I forgot - what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas! :D

I haven't had a chance to buy the Rolling Stone magazine yet, but it sounds very interesting. I'm anxious to read it.

TimothyBFan
05-19-2008, 01:38 PM
My friend just emailed me to let me know she went out at lunch and picked up a copy of Rolling Stone for me (I live and work in a small town where it could be days before we would see it on the stands here). I cannot wait to get my hands on it tonite when she drops it off on her way home. I thought that was very nice of her to think of me!!!

freyfantastic61
05-19-2008, 01:40 PM
Hi good news for us GEF as this issue of Rolling Stone is in our shops from this coming wed'21st!! Yipee I have reserved my copy :drummer: luv FF61

sodascouts
05-19-2008, 03:13 PM
They also have a brief interview with Charles Young about his experience with the Eagles and their infamous softball game:

"The Eagles and Charles M. Young: Behind the Cover Story" (http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/20859865/the_eagles_and_charles_m_young_behind_the_cover_st ory?source=music_news_rssfeed)

DonFan
05-19-2008, 03:55 PM
"And Henley for his whole life has been an inveterate writer of letters. If someone displeases him, he can send out these little masterpieces of venom. Glenn Frey is equally smart, which is to say very smart."

This guy really has Don--and Glenn--pegged. “Little masterpieces of venom” indeed!

Don's vitriolic letter to HITS magazine, the one that starts out "Dear Loathsome Trade Hacks," comes immediately to mind here.
And what was it Don told that reporter who interviewed him before the CMAs last November? "I'm not scary. I'm just opinionated." Then she got him back by asking if he wanted his walker at the end of the interview. :wink:

Thanks for posting that link, Soda.

Freypower
05-19-2008, 07:15 PM
Governor 'Jared' Brown? How soon we forget.

That was an interesting piece too.

Although I haven't got my copy yet (yes I can get the US edition here if I'm quick enough) I just wanted to mention that Tim's nickname 'Woodstock' was mentioned in the Hell Is For Heroes story.

Also Don saying that Felder brought nothing to the party to me refers only to the last couple of years, not to Felder's entire tenure with the band.

Regarding the 'Glenn as rattlesnake' thing, I suppose he's reusing it because the image remains as potent and as accurate as it was back then.

As for the cover, Don is wearing his 'barn' shirt, Joe MAY be wearing a 'Free Tibet' T shirt, and Mr Corporate Business Leader of course has to wear a formal striped shirt. And the 'missing leg' scenario still exists, although this time it's Tim.

And can I add that I had never heard the 'Henley sucks fun out of a room' quote until I read Felder's book.

Mrs Frey
05-20-2008, 02:30 AM
Its true the comments at Glenn's solo shows are normally good natured and humorous, but he shocked even my deviant ears a few years ago at a show in Vegas, saying he missed the '70s because it was the golden age of f****ng. And specualting about sex with Jenna Jameson. Quite the potty mouth that nite.

Ouch! I admit that shocked me too! :shock:

Glennsallnighter
05-20-2008, 02:13 PM
Oooh Glenn :heart: :fingerwag: :fingerwag: :fingerwag:

But......

:lol: :lol: :lol:

glenneaglesfan
05-20-2008, 06:46 PM
Hi good news for us GEF as this issue of Rolling Stone is in our shops from this coming wed'21st!! Yipee I have reserved my copy :drummer: luv FF61

Ooh, thanks for that, FF61! I'm quite excited about looking in tomorrow!

Brooke
05-20-2008, 10:31 PM
:x Ok, I looked in 3 stores today for the new issue and no one had it! Is it out everywhere yet?

timfan
05-20-2008, 10:48 PM
It's not here in Canada yet.. they say it'll be out on Thursday here

Glennsallnighter
05-21-2008, 04:57 AM
What is the issue date on it. I can order it but the girl in Borders wants more than 'The one with the Eagles on the cover'!! :roll:

TimothyBFan
05-21-2008, 07:09 AM
What is the issue date on it. I can order it but the girl in Borders wants more than 'The one with the Eagles on the cover'!! :roll:

Looking at mine right now and the date is May 29, 2008, issue 1053.

Glennsallnighter
05-21-2008, 09:18 AM

Looking at mine right now and the date is May 29, 2008, issue 1053.

Thanks! Was out at the shopping centre earlier and it seems 1052 has 'landed'. If I have to wait another week..................... :brickwall:

Share1967
05-21-2008, 12:49 PM
All my area stores still have the previous issue out. :cry:

glenneaglesfan
05-21-2008, 05:32 PM
Me too. I nipped out at lunchtime to our biggest newsagent and they still had last month's issue on the stand.

Try again on Friday, I suppose!

freyfantastic61
05-23-2008, 02:18 PM

Ooh, thanks for that, FF61! I'm quite excited about looking in tomorrow!

:? I am SO confused!-after asking my local newsagent to reserve a copy of this,I ran down on wed' to collect it BUT it was this week's copy which definetly didn't have the guys on the front!!So far I haven't been able to obtain it! :( According to the shop it is a weekly publication so am I too early?? The UK often receives things later than the US! LUV FF61 :headscratch:

Freypower
05-23-2008, 06:38 PM
Rolling Stone is a fortnightly publication.

I haven't been able to get mine yet either.

Brooke
05-23-2008, 08:30 PM
Ack! I got mine today! I called around yesterday in the nearest town with a bookstore (35 miles away). They didn't have it, but suggested another Walmart type store and they had it but wouldn't hold it for me! They said they had 4 or 5 copies and was sure I would find one when I got there! Evidently there aren't that many rabid Eagles fans there in a town of 35,000! :roll:

On a funny side note, as I was checking out, the guy looked at it and said "hey, the Eagles on Rolling Stone!" He loved the Eagles and proceeded to name each one correctly. Then he said, but isn't there 5 of them? I said Felder was missing and that they had fired him. He looked shocked and I asked him if he had the new album. He said he didn't but was planning to get it. I told him to get it and that it was really good. I hope the guys appreciate my pr work! :lol:

I have to say I don't like Don's grayish stubbly fumanchu! Sorry. His hair is darker and the gray beard just makes him look funny. And I always loved his 'fro and facial hair back in the day! I think he should let his hair go gray and then it would look fine. jmo there!

The article is great.

Molly
05-24-2008, 09:31 AM
When I was at the airport in Milwaukee, I walked into a store to pick up a bottle of water, and lying on the counter right next to the cash register was the Rolling Stone with the Eagles on the cover! I took that as a good sign!

During the song "Dirty Laundry" as DonFan said in the Atlanta thread and MF in the London thread, they show various news celebrities and celebrity magazine covers with the gossipy headlines. Then they show the four mock covers with the guys and follow that up with a shot of the boys on the new Rolling Stone! Very cool!

Glennsallnighter
05-24-2008, 12:21 PM
Well done Molly! I'm still hoping that this issue will wing its way over here in the near future! We tend to get it about a week after its released in the States, so fingers crossed.

Mrs Frey
05-26-2008, 02:15 AM
That is very cool, Molly! :D

Well, I haven't seen the new copy of Rolling Stone here. I'm lucky if I EVER see ANY copy of Rolling Stone here. :roll:

Glennsallnighter
05-26-2008, 04:12 AM

Well, I haven't seen the new copy of Rolling Stone here. I'm lucky if I EVER see ANY copy of Rolling Stone here. :roll:

Well hows about I get you one when I eventually get mine and post it on to you MF?

glenneaglesfan
05-26-2008, 11:06 AM
Wow, Molly. I hadn't noticed that during the show!

I've spent more time and parking money than I should have done going into town every day to look for this. Fingers crossed that it's out this week.

GA, I may take you up on this offer as well if I have no luck this week!

Brooke, you deserve a discount ticket for your next Eagles concert for that! :wink:

AzEaglesFan
05-26-2008, 04:38 PM
I finally found a copy but the article wasn't near long enough and I would have liked a lot more pictures. :P

Glennsallnighter
05-26-2008, 05:32 PM
Wow, Molly. I hadn't noticed that during the show!

I've spent more time and parking money than I should have done going into town every day to look for this. Fingers crossed that it's out this week.

GA, I may take you up on this offer as well if I have no luck this week!

Brooke, you deserve a discount ticket for your next Eagles concert for that! :wink:

Absolutely No Problem GEF. :thumbsup: But I havent seen it yet. However I'm up at the centre most days so I'm still holding out.

Mrs Frey
05-27-2008, 02:13 AM

Well hows about I get you one when I eventually get mine and post it on to you MF?

Well, I would just call you a sweet angel, my dear. :angel: :hug:

Brooke
05-27-2008, 10:59 AM

Good idea, gef! Would you please call Glenn and tell him to send it right away? I'm in dire need of an Eagles concert right now! :laugh:

05-27-2008, 09:28 PM
Okay - After reading my newly acquired issue of Rolling Stone Magazine along with these reviews, I'm warning everyone - I'm going to rant. If you don’t want to hear a rant, then quit reading this now! :wink:

But let me preface my rant by saying that I LOVE DON HENLEY!!!!!

This rant is not a diss on Don, but it is a diss on those people who seem to have the attitude that the Eagles consist of Don Henley and some other guys.

Some of these people think that the only member of the Eagles that has any talent is Don Henley. They seem to think that he is the only one that can sing, he is the only one that can write lyrics, he is the only one that knows a good song when he hears one, and he is the only one who can perform.

I have always found this attitude very offensive. First of all, if any of it were true, Don wouldn’t be in the Eagles, he would still be a solo artist. The truth of the matter is none of the members of the Eagles, past or present, have come close to the Eagles success as solo artists. What is it that makes the Eagles so special? It is that the Eagles consist of 4 (formerly 5) unique and very talented individuals. Each of them is very gifted in their own right. However, it is the combination of these four unique, talented men that collectively make the Eagles the very special entity that it is. None of them can achieve the sound of the Eagles by himself.

One of the things that has always been a real sore spot with me, is when people undermine or devalue any of the band members worth. Now, I am not saying that any of them aren’t ever deserving of criticism. I’m saying that you can criticize their actions, but not their value to the band. I am also not trying to suggest that all four members contribute equally. We all know that isn’t the case. But each of them is a key ingredient in the Eagles “recipe”. You all know how it works – when you bake a cake, sugar isn’t the main ingredient, but it sure ain’t the same if you leave the sugar out. Obviously, the glue is Don and Glenn (sorry Timothy :wink:) – they are the two that have been around since the start. One of them is just as critical to the Eagles formula as the other, and to suggest otherwise is just ridiculous, IMHO. I always thought part of the reason for the Eagles success is that when you put on an Eagles CD, it’s not like listening to the same song 10 times. Each member contributes to the sound, even though Glenn dominated the band’s early sound, and Don it’s latter sound.

I, too, was pretty ticked with the “Air Supply” comment that Glenn made in Rolling Stone. I’m not sure what his intent or motivation for the remark was, but whether he meant to or not, he diminished his value to the band, as well as Joe’s and Tim’s. None of these guy’s music, individually or collectively, is Air Supply. What were you thinking, Glenn? You don’t have to put down some band members, including yourself, to pay a compliment to another one. I do agree with what Brooke said. Glenn seems to be quite content to leave most of the PR stuff to the others, especially Don. Maybe he doesn’t enjoy doing the PR stuff anymore. He does appear to want to shun the spotlight and keep a relatively low profile these days. So Glenn, you wanted a successful album, and you got your wish. You can run, but you can’t hide. Oh well, Glenn - suck it up!

Freypower
05-27-2008, 09:39 PM
:thumbsup: :yay:

Spot on again, Dreamer.

When Glenn says things like this all he does is give ammunition to the people who want to put him down. We have already seen the 'Air Supply' comment used by a reviewer. We see reviews where only Henley is written about (with comments like 'Glenn Frey sang a couple of songs' and 'Glenn Frey sang the first verse of How Long'). We have also seen Glenn drop three of his own best known songs from the set list and not touch anyone else's except for SG & HITW, and then he has only increased his own quota with two new songs. He really does seem to have the idea that fans aren't interested in him or his work.

I repeat that his songs on LROOE, though they may be 'relationship' songs and are not dissertations on the state of the world, are as valid, and are also as enjoyable, as Don's songs.

And yet his modesty and his self-deprecation remain admirable, when they are deployed in a more positive way than they are here, which is most of the time.

sodascouts
05-28-2008, 02:57 AM
I don't know if this has been caught before and I just missed it, but I figured I'd post it anyway:

Don Henley does Q&A with The Record (http://www.northjersey.com/betterliving/music/Eagles_taking_it_to_the_limit_another_time.html):

Don Henley knows most fans show up to hear “Hotel California,” not the new stuff.

“Of course, the people still love the old stuff,” Henley wrote in an e-mail. “But over 3 million of our fans, in this country, have the new album, so the new songs are not alien to a lot of them.”

As the Eagles prepare for five New York-area shows to promote their new double album, “Long Road Out of Eden,” Henley agreed to trade e-mails with The Record.

Q. In another interview, you said, “We’ve always concentrated on the craft of songwriting, our bedrock.” How long did it take you to write this album? Which were the most difficult songs to piece together?

It took about three years to write the majority [of] this album, although a couple of songs go back further than that. The one song that stands out in my mind as being difficult to finish is the title song, “Long Road Out of Eden.” That took about two years to complete.

Q. Disc 1 seems to be the more emotional of the two discs; Disc 2, the more intellectual. When you sat down to work on this double album, were you trying to create discs with two distinct identities?

It was not our original intent to do a double album. Once we found that we had written and recorded too many songs for one disc, the decision was made to release a two-disc package. Glenn [Frey] did the sequencing and decided which songs to put on each disc. I think he did a good job.

Q. Unless you buy the album online, you have to pick it up at Wal-Mart. You’ve said you’re “not a fan of big-box retailers.” Did it take some convincing to get you to agree to this deal? And have you heard from any fans who were upset with this move?

Yes, it took a lot of convincing. Our manager, Irving Azoff, came to us with the idea of going with Wal-Mart. I was immediately skeptical, but after several months of research on Wal-Mart’s efforts to make the company — and all of its vendors — greener, I acquiesced. Besides, I figured that Wal-Mart couldn’t be any more evil than a major record label.
We did get some heat, but most of it was from people who didn’t like us to begin with.

Q. Playing a cover of “Boys of Summer” seems to have become a prerequisite for any musician trying to start a band. Which artist(s) does the best “Boys of Summer” cover?

I like the Hooters’ version. That’s the band, not the — uh — restaurant.

Q. In the song “Long Road Out of Eden,” you wrote, “Behold the bitten apple — the power of the tools; But all the knowledge in the world is of no use to fools.” Is this an indictment on the way Americans are using new technology?

Interesting question. That’s certainly one way to look at it. There’s an incredible amount of mindless crap on the Internet, just as there is on television and radio, not to mention the stuff in print.

We have all this miraculous technology, now, that can instantly provide us with endless information about anything and everything, but in many ways, we haven’t gotten any smarter or wiser.

The line in the song is also a biblical reference to the Garden of Eden, the Tree of Knowledge and the anthropological fact that when ancient man learned to make tools, that’s when civilization supposedly began. So, in some ways, we are astonishingly advanced, but in other ways, we are just as primitive as those cave men.

Q. You’ve said a chimpanzee would be an improvement on President Bush. If you were given the controls to the country, what would be the first change you would try to implement?

Hypothetical questions are always a no-win situation, but here goes: I would do a major overhaul of U.S. foreign policy and energy policy, which in recent years have become almost indistinguishable. We’ve got to get off this petroleum bender. There has been an enormous amount of damage done to the environment and to our reputation around the world.

Q. The second CD’s final song (“It’s Your World Now”) includes this line: “It’s your world now, my race is run, I’m moving on, like the setting sun.” Sure sounds like you guys are trying to pass the torch. Is this the last Eagles album?

It very well could be. But I’ve learned not to prognosticate when it comes to the Eagles. It will take us another two years or so to tour the globe. After we recuperate from that, we’ll see if anybody’s in the mood to write and record. Your guess is as good as mine.

E-mail: kerwick@northjersey.com

Mrs Frey
05-28-2008, 03:51 AM
Dreamer, thanks for your thoughts. I agree with you completely. As I've stated elsewhere, the Don Henley bias (and allow me to say that I too love Don Henley) in various reviews has irritated me. All the Eagles are important to what the Eagles are. Don stated in the "60 Minutes" interview that he cannot sound the way he does in the Eagles without "these guys". Enough said.

FP, I agree with your thoughts, too. If only Glenn :heart: realised how much he means to his many fans. :(

Soda, thanks for posting that interview with Don.

TimothyBFan
05-28-2008, 06:45 AM
Can I get a big AMEN for all of the above! And as I said in another thread-I hate the Air Supply thing also- and since he has said it, I have seen it in print a couple of times and I get angry every time. It just seems so belittling.

Freypower
05-29-2008, 12:23 AM
OK, well, I now have my copy of Rolling Stone and can make some comments.

It's a pretty lightweight article. If only Young hadn't felt the need to glorify his own past experiences with the band - but that is typical Rollingstonespeak, where the author is as important as the subject. It is all the Hunter S. Thompson and P.J. O'Rourke stuff the magazine is so obsessed with. I am baffled by the use of so many old photos. Here was an opportunity to show the band as they are now - an opportunity I am sure they would have taken were the subject one of their cover darlings like Madonna, the Stones, U2 or Springsteen.

Maybe we leaped too hard on Glenn for the 'Air Supply' thing (although it doesn't help that it is singled out and highlighted in a big blue paragraph). Glenn then 'uncoils with his explosive laugh' which suggests to me that 'Air Supply' was said in a very deadpan way, like 'Prelude To Obscurity'.

Felder states that U2 still care about the music, despite the money, which never was and never will be the case with the Eagles. Pass the sickbag. Apologies to U2 fans but they are just as big a moneymaking operation as the Eagles. And again if he thought all that, why the hell didn't he leave? I loved Don's account of all this, with the 'Mr Felder' stuff (thank God there were no arch 'Mr Freys this time).

I loved Joe's story about going to Westminster Abbey, my favourite church in the world, and 'sitting on Sir Isaac Newton'. Imagine wandering through the Abbey and seeing that familiar blonde head.
I would like to share a story about my trip to London in 1980 when I was visiting St Paul's Cathedral. Coming towards me was a man wrapped in an overcoat with spiky blonde hair and big round eyes. It was Rod Stewart (he was doing some gigs at Wembley at the time). I stared and my mouth fell open. He looked back. I walked past and left him to himself.

Just some 'random notes'.
:wink:

Mrs Frey
05-29-2008, 02:23 AM
Love your thoughts, FP. :D I can imagine how shocked you must have been to encounter Rod Stewart on the street! :shock:

sodascouts
05-29-2008, 12:42 PM
Wow - cool story about Rod Stewart, FP!

Glennsallnighter
05-29-2008, 06:18 PM
Absolutely, Brilliant story FP. Myself and a friend passed Andre Agassi when we were in Wimbledon to see some of the tennis in 1992 (around the time LID was recorded!). We were just walking down the street when he walked past us in the opposite direction. We both turned to each other simultaneously, mouths open unable to speak. Finally we said in unison. 'THAT WAS AGASSI' :fainting: :fainted:

Freypower
05-29-2008, 07:03 PM
Love your thoughts, FP. :D I can imagine how shocked you must have been to encounter Rod Stewart on the street! :shock:

Yes, except it was actually inside St Paul's Cathedral, which as I said is why I left him to himself. I think I had just left my favourite spot there, John Donne's tomb, and was walking down one of the side aisles.

Famous people have the right to be tourists too. That's why I drew the analogy with Joe's story about Westminster Abbey.

Glennsallnighter
05-29-2008, 07:07 PM

Yes, except it was actually inside St Paul's Cathedral, which as I said is why I left him to himself. I think I had just left my favourite spot there, John Donne's tomb, and was walking down one of the side aisles.

Famous people have the right to be tourists too. That's why I drew the analogy with Joe's story about Westminster Abbey.

We did John Donnes poetry in school. He was my favourite poet. I can still recite some of his poems today and I haven't read them in over 20 years!! Obviously you liked him as well!

Freypower
05-29-2008, 07:17 PM
I don't want to veer off topic here but the only time my mother taught me English was our two weeks of Donne in my final year of high school. She normally taught the advanced English class but didn't want to do it with me there. But she made an exception for Donne who is also her favourite poet. It was probably the best two weeks of classes I had at school. My mother was a great teacher. I still love 'wild Jack Donne' and his transformation to 'Dr Donne' as she called him.

Now back on topic has anyone noticed the RS cover photo credits?

'Cover photograph by Max Vadukal.

The Eagles: JW, GF, DH & TBS (from left), photographed at Smashbox Studios, Culver City, California, April 2008. Henley's and Schmit's grooming by Mira Hyde. Walsh's and Frey's grooming by Judy Lewin. Walsh's hair by Andy LeCompte for Solo Artists'.

:shock: :jealous: :drool:

Could I do that? I could 'groom' Mr Frey. I could pat his hair, straighten his shirt collar, you know, that sort of thing! :blush:

sodascouts
05-29-2008, 09:19 PM
I think I could have done a better grooming job that Judy. His shirt needs straightening!

As far as Donne goes - he's magnificent. One of my favorites. I took a seminar on Donne that was one of the most challenging classes I've ever taken - and it was completely worth it.

Glennsallnighter
05-30-2008, 02:16 AM
Oh I wouldn't mind a chance at 'grooming' Mr Frey either! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Mrs Henley
05-30-2008, 02:49 AM
I'll do Don! :lol:

TimothyBFan
05-30-2008, 06:55 AM
I get Tim!!! A little straightening gel and a hot iron and oh baby he would look even better!!!! :drool:

DonFan
05-30-2008, 09:43 AM
The Eagles at Madison Square Garden.

By JON PARELES--New York Times
Published: May 30, 2008

What comes after a farewell tour? For the Eagles the sequel to their coyly named “Farewell I” tour in 2005 was nothing less than their first studio album since 1979, “Long Road Out of Eden” (ERC II), a 20-track, two-CD set that has sold nearly four million copies in the United States since its release last year. That led in turn to one more tour, which came to Madison Square Garden on Wednesday night, to be repeated on Friday and Saturday.

Glenn Frey, a founding member, called the Eagles “the band that time forgot.” After a bitter 1980 breakup and periodic reunion tours since 1994 (with attrition; the band’s longtime guitarist Don Felder was fired in 2001) the Eagles now have some current material to play onstage.

They got most of it out of the way at the start of each set in a two-part concert that held nearly three hours of music. “Long Road Out of Eden” is, in its way, an honest album. Reclaiming, sometimes imitating, the sound of the 1970s Eagles, the album is the wistful and bilious work of middle-aged songwriters — Mr. Frey is 59 and Don Henley is 60 — who are thinking about fading possibilities and angry at the state of the world.

The 10-minute title song, by Mr. Henley, Mr. Frey and the bassist Timothy B. Schmit (who joined the Eagles in 1977), juxtaposes the vigil of a soldier in Iraq with oblivious gas guzzlers and greedy oilmen. Love songs like Mr. Frey’s “No More Cloudy Days” and Mr. Henley’s “Waiting in the Weeds” grapple with loneliness and painful memories. The new songs have the old Eagles’ high harmonies and carefully stacked guitar parts, though their melodies tend to ramble. And the Eagles knew better than to make them the centerpieces of an arena show. Fans wanted hits, and got them.

Onstage the Eagles have always sought to reproduce their painstaking studio productions, and most of the time they did, bolstered by three keyboardists, a horn section, a violinist and a drummer who took over the kit when Mr. Henley wasn’t drumming and singing at the same time. All the close-harmony “ooh’s” were in place, and Steuart Smith, Mr. Felder’s replacement, faithfully copied his parts in the guitar architecture of “Hotel California,” alongside the band’s other longtime member, Joe Walsh. Mr. Schmit, who mostly sings harmonies, strained at the high notes of his lead vocals, but the songs weren’t transposed down. Now the band is even recreating past tours; Mr. Frey introduced songs with recycled jokes.

Wearing black suits and ties, the Eagles presented themselves as the institution they are. Full members wore white shirts, while sidemen had black ones. The Eagles carefully apportioned time in the spotlight, displaying disparate personalities: Mr. Frey self-deprecating and romantic, Mr. Henley caustic and righteous. (“Dirty Laundry,” from Mr. Henley’s solo years, vilifies the junk news, and had a video montage encompassing Fox News, gossip Web sites, Fortune and The New Yorker.)

Proficiency doesn’t equal fun, and the Eagles held in reserve their class clown: Mr. Walsh, who has a sense of humor, a piercing yowl and an unruly lead guitar style. The second set belonged to Mr. Walsh and his guitar riffs, as he stirred up the Eagles’ “Heartache Tonight” and cackled through three of his own hits: “Funk No. 49,” “Rocky Mountain Way” and “Life’s Been Good.” Though they did return to Eagles songs for the final encores — the open-highway song “Take It Easy” and the somber, disillusioned “Desperado,” which admonishes, “You ain’t getting no younger” — the Eagles are nothing if not craftsmen. Unleashing Mr. Walsh, they recognized what their own songs leave out.

Mrs Frey
05-30-2008, 11:31 AM
Oh I wouldn't mind a chance at 'grooming' Mr Frey either! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Oh, boy, GA and FP - ME TOO! :blush:

sodascouts
05-30-2008, 12:22 PM
DF, I think the review you posted was the best professional one I've read so far (which of course are no match for fan reviews, lol). Thanks!

DonFan
05-30-2008, 01:00 PM
DF, I think the review you posted was the best professional one I've read so far (which of course are no match for fan reviews, lol). Thanks!

Yes, that latest review was very fair to mention all the members. I thought the reviewer was a little jaded in some of his comments--I wouldn't exactly call LROOE "a bilious work of middle-aged songwriters" and I wouldn't say "their melodies tend to ramble" :roll: , but some negativity is to be expected, I guess.

sodascouts
05-30-2008, 02:27 PM
Yes, that latest review was very fair to mention all the members. I thought the reviewer was a little jaded in some of his comments--I wouldn't exactly call LROOE "a bilious work of middle-aged songwriters"

I guess I focused on the positive things surrounding that phrase:

“Long Road Out of Eden” is, in its way, an honest album. Reclaiming, sometimes imitating, the sound of the 1970s Eagles, the album is the wistful and bilious work of middle-aged songwriters — Mr. Frey is 59 and Don Henley is 60 — who are thinking about fading possibilities and angry at the state of the world."

Overall, it doesn't sound terribly negative to me, but you're right in that the praise is not unqualified.

I wouldn't say "their melodies tend to ramble" :roll: , but some negativity is to be expected, I guess.

The only tune I would say this about is perhaps No More Walks in the Wood, but perhaps walks in the woods do tend to meander. ;) Frail Grasp is arguably a ramble in some parts, where Don goes on and on without much regard for melody or meter, but its chorus is tight.

Freypower
05-30-2008, 06:43 PM
I love the New York Times! They have always used 'Mr Frey' etc about absolutely everybody.

I like the 'fading possibilties' line. I can hear that in many of the songs.

DonFan
05-30-2008, 08:02 PM
Here's another review--from the New York Post this time:

May 30, 2008 -- It's hard to soar with the Eagles when turkeys surround you.

At the first of three NYC performances by the classic rock outfit - which continue tonight and tomorrow at Madison Square Garden - the band played a strong, three-hour, hit-heavy concert that somehow just didn't connect with the geriatric fans.

Heavy mellow was the order of the night, but rarely has an act as talented and beloved as the Eagles gotten such a remarkably sleepy reception as they did at the Garden Wednesday.

Usually you blame the band for not firing up an audience, and it wasn't a surprise that on soft-rock classics such as "Hotel California" and "Peaceful Easy Feeling" the crowd listened with quiet reserve.

But even when the musicians raged, as they did on the one-two-three combination of "The Boys of Summer," "In the City," and "The Long Run" (which closed the pre-intermission set), the fans were flat-lining in the seats.

Of the four remaining principals - Don Henley, Glenn Frey, Joe Walsh and Timothy B. Schmit - the concert clearly belonged to Walsh, who looked very uncomfortable wearing the band's uniform - a gray charcoal suit with a black tie.

Despite looking like chairman of the bored, Walsh's slide-guitar work was fiery and his snarling vocals on tunes such as "Rocky Mountain Way," "Life's Been Good" and "Walk Away" provided the peaks in this performance.

It's not that Henley, Frey and Schmit weren't good - their vocal harmonies were almost indistinguishable from the band's studio precision - but Walsh, on the MSG stage was totally in his rock-star element.

dan.aquilante@nypost.com
-----------------------------------
Sleepy reception? :shock:

Brooke
05-31-2008, 09:54 AM
Geriatric fans? :evil:

And how do you listen to HC with "quiet reserve"? :x

sodascouts
05-31-2008, 03:38 PM
Yikes! What a lousy crowd!

Glennsallnighter
05-31-2008, 05:35 PM
Indeed! I must say of all the 'non-fan' reviews that I have read the NY Times one seems to have been the most objective one. Fair in most places and giving coverage to each member and the contribution he put in. Pity the crowd were so drab by the sound of it.

Thats what happens when ILAA charge $1000 for 5-star seats! Very few ordinary but real fans get a look in. They would really liven up the place.

05-31-2008, 07:46 PM
Yeah - I agree with the comments regarding the MSG reviews. I also liked that first one. As far as the crowd at that second show - :shock: :shock: :shock:. Those people who want to sit through a rock concert in "quiet reserve" could save some money and do that from the balcony seats. Free up those seats in the front for the fans that want to rock. :)

Glennsallnighter
06-01-2008, 05:12 PM
As far as the crowd at that second show - :shock: :shock: :shock:. Those people who want to sit through a rock concert in "quiet reserve" could save some money and do that from the balcony seats. Free up those seats in the front for the fans that want to rock. :)

Betcha they didn't even pay for their seats in the first place! Possibly comps! So they may not even have been real fans.

TimothyBFan
06-02-2008, 07:17 AM
Here's another review--from the New York Post this time:

May 30, 2008 -- It's hard to soar with the Eagles when turkeys surround you.

At the first of three NYC performances by the classic rock outfit - which continue tonight and tomorrow at Madison Square Garden - the band played a strong, three-hour, hit-heavy concert that somehow just didn't connect with the geriatric fans.

Heavy mellow was the order of the night, but rarely has an act as talented and beloved as the Eagles gotten such a remarkably sleepy reception as they did at the Garden Wednesday.

Usually you blame the band for not firing up an audience, and it wasn't a surprise that on soft-rock classics such as "Hotel California" and "Peaceful Easy Feeling" the crowd listened with quiet reserve.

But even when the musicians raged, as they did on the one-two-three combination of "The Boys of Summer," "In the City," and "The Long Run" (which closed the pre-intermission set), the fans were flat-lining in the seats.

Of the four remaining principals - Don Henley, Glenn Frey, Joe Walsh and Timothy B. Schmit - the concert clearly belonged to Walsh, who looked very uncomfortable wearing the band's uniform - a gray charcoal suit with a black tie.

Despite looking like chairman of the bored, Walsh's slide-guitar work was fiery and his snarling vocals on tunes such as "Rocky Mountain Way," "Life's Been Good" and "Walk Away" provided the peaks in this performance.

It's not that Henley, Frey and Schmit weren't good - their vocal harmonies were almost indistinguishable from the band's studio precision - but Walsh, on the MSG stage was totally in his rock-star element.

dan.aquilante@nypost.com
-----------------------------------
Sleepy reception? :shock:

YIKES!!!! What was up with the crowd? Was anyone from the board there that night and was it really that bad?

Thats what happens when ILAA charge $1000 for 5-star seats! Very few ordinary but real fans get a look in. They would really liven up the place.

Agreed!! I will not be buying the $1000 seats for my husband and I in Chicago. Would love to be able to but no way!!! As much as I love them -I cannot justify it, can barely justify the money we will be spending for, hopefully, floor tickets, hotel and transportation. My husband says we will only celebrate our 20th Anniversary once so we are going to enjoy ourselves!

Glennsallnighter
06-02-2008, 04:40 PM
Well its an important milestone and I for 1 really hope you do! Your husband sounds like a gem! Congratulations on that anniversary. When is it?

TimothyBFan
06-02-2008, 06:09 PM
Well its an important milestone and I for 1 really hope you do! Your husband sounds like a gem! Congratulations on that anniversary. When is it?

Thanks-I plan on being online 1st thing Monday morning to get our tickets!! And yes he is a real gem! He knows how I have always loved them (bless him for putting up with it many years!) and he knows how many missed opportunities I've had (I posted all about that in the introduce yourself thread). After 30+ years of being a fan and never seeing them-I am just beside myself with anticipation!! I just hope I don't have any trouble getting tickets, they don't sell out that fast do they? I sure hope not!! Our anniversary is October 22 so it will be a little early but he said he can't think of anything that I would like better than this-he only hopes I can survive the excitement of finally seeing them. Past experience has taught me tho not to get to worked up until I am actually setting in the arena. It's funny tho-we were talking the other night and we thought it only appropriate that we celebrate with a concert because our very first date 22 years ago was an Eric Clapton concert in Chicago! :wink:

Mrs Frey
06-03-2008, 03:18 AM
Yeah - I agree with the comments regarding the MSG reviews. I also liked that first one. As far as the crowd at that second show - :shock: :shock: :shock:. Those people who want to sit through a rock concert in "quiet reserve" could save some money and do that from the balcony seats. Free up those seats in the front for the fans that want to rock. :)

I've only just managed to read the review now and I must say, the crowd sounds a bit like the opening night London crowd... :roll: I am in absolute agreement with you, Dreamer. GA and I were beside ourselves with frustration at the reserved audience members alongside and around us. I was even asked at one time by a man behind me to sit down because his wife "can't stand for long". Well, I didn't pay $750 dollars for a ticket and travel all the way from Cape Town to sit the whole night!!! :evil:

Mrs Frey
06-03-2008, 03:20 AM

Thanks-I plan on being online 1st thing Monday morning to get our tickets!! And yes he is a real gem! He knows how I have always loved them (bless him for putting up with it many years!) and he knows how many missed opportunities I've had (I posted all about that in the introduce yourself thread). After 30+ years of being a fan and never seeing them-I am just beside myself with anticipation!! I just hope I don't have any trouble getting tickets, they don't sell out that fast do they? I sure hope not!! Our anniversary is October 22 so it will be a little early but he said he can't think of anything that I would like better than this-he only hopes I can survive the excitement of finally seeing them. Past experience has taught me tho not to get to worked up until I am actually setting in the arena. It's funny tho-we were talking the other night and we thought it only appropriate that we celebrate with a concert because our very first date 22 years ago was an Eric Clapton concert in Chicago! :wink:

I'm so happy that your dream is finally going to come true, TBF! :D I really hope everything works out the way you and your husband plan.

Glennsallnighter
06-03-2008, 04:05 PM
What a sweet story TBF! I really hope so much that things work out for you! You deserve it after so long.

glenneaglesfan
06-03-2008, 05:36 PM
TBF, that's great news! 20 years is really a good cause to celebrate, and how sweet that your hubby thinks an Eagles concert will fit the bill! As far as buying tickets, my advice is to bide your time. It seems as though Ticketmaster release the tickets in dribs and drabs. If you leap in too soon you may not get the best tickets. I tried for a couple of days on TM and didn't find anything good, so resorted to Ebay, where the tickets were great but I paid well over the odds. If you have the time and patience, keep checking on ticketmaster - it seems perfect seats come to those who wait - if you can live with the uncertainty!!

sodascouts
06-03-2008, 08:42 PM
good luck getting tickets TBF - you deserve good seats after all these years!

TimothyBFan
06-04-2008, 07:13 AM
TBF, that's great news! 20 years is really a good cause to celebrate, and how sweet that your hubby thinks an Eagles concert will fit the bill! As far as buying tickets, my advice is to bide your time. It seems as though Ticketmaster release the tickets in dribs and drabs. If you leap in too soon you may not get the best tickets. I tried for a couple of days on TM and didn't find anything good, so resorted to Ebay, where the tickets were great but I paid well over the odds. If you have the time and patience, keep checking on ticketmaster - it seems perfect seats come to those who wait - if you can live with the uncertainty!!

Really??? That sounds reasonable but it almost scares me! I imagine at these prices that they won't go to awfully fast but still... I've never been to this arena and was on line the other day checking reviews of the facility. Some people where saying that the floor tickets for a concert aren't all that good. I know I am not paying for the ILAA experience, no matter how much I would love to be right up front (on Tim's side of course). Any more advice from anyone? Do you all agree I should try to hold off a bit as scary as it may be?

Larry (my husband) asked last night if I had got hotel reservations yet and I told him I was holding off till after had the tickets so I knew which night we'd be staying. Told him I wish I knew which hotel that the Eagles would be staying in. He didn't miss a beat, and said, "I was hoping you'd come back to the hotel room with ME that night!" :rofl: He is such a smart a*s sometimes-but yet he knows me so well!! :D

Brooke
06-04-2008, 10:07 AM
TBF, I think it kind of depends on whether the concert is sold out or not. I don't know when they decide that, but it seems that even if it is, there are tickets that become available just a day or two before the show. I've been finding that out myself. But it's nerve racking not knowing until the last minute.

As for floor seats, it's best to get as close as you can or it's hard to see. Especially if you're short. Now if you are tall you might be ok. I'm 5'3 and it seems like I always get tall people in front of me. :roll:

With the price of gas and everything else going up, I'm thinking these concerts might not sell as well as in the past.

Glennsallnighter
06-04-2008, 11:55 AM
Larry (my husband) asked last night if I had got hotel reservations yet and I told him I was holding off till after had the tickets so I knew which night we'd be staying. Told him I wish I knew which hotel that the Eagles would be staying in. He didn't miss a beat, and said, "I was hoping you'd come back to the hotel room with ME that night!" :rofl: He is such a smart a*s sometimes-but yet he knows me so well!! :D

I love him! :lol: :lol: :lol:

The thing is TBF, given the choice who WOULD you go back with.....?? :wink:

Glennsallnighter
06-04-2008, 11:58 AM
With the price of gas and everything else going up, I'm thinking these concerts might not sell as well as in the past.

Good point Brooke! When the essentials go up its usually the entertainment budget that is first to be hit! Gas (or Petrol as we call it over here has reached an all-time high retailing at about E1.30 /L thats about $2. Food has also gone up by about 8% already this year which is twice the rate of inflation!!

Mrs Frey
06-05-2008, 02:31 AM

:rofl: I love that, TBF! Your hubby has a great sense of humour!

Mrs Frey
06-05-2008, 02:32 AM
As for floor seats, it's best to get as close as you can or it's hard to see. Especially if you're short. Now if you are tall you might be ok. I'm 5'3 and it seems like I always get tall people in front of me. :roll:

I hear you, Brooke. I feel very fortunate to be 5'8" tall.

Mrs Frey
06-05-2008, 02:34 AM

Good point Brooke! When the essentials go up its usually the entertainment budget that is first to be hit! Gas (or Petrol as we call it over here has reached an all-time high retailing at about E1.30 /L thats about $2. Food has also gone up by about 8% already this year which is twice the rate of inflation!!

I can identify, Brooke and GA. We're going through the same crisis in South Africa. Our petrol price is at an all time high, and just about everything else has gone up, including food and clothing.

DonFan
06-06-2008, 10:10 AM
Here's another blog review about the Eagles' concert in New York:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I saw the Eagles at Madison Square Garden over the weekend. I've never seen them before, and I don't think I've ever seen a more professional, precise rock n' roll show. The four actual band members wear black suits and ties, with white shirts, and put me in mind of a group of law partners who played in bands in college and are getting together to sing for the firm's annual Christmas party. (The sidemen also wore black suits and ties, but with black shirts.) The renditions of the songs were perfect. Every ounce of craftsmanship that went into making these songs classics was on display -- in contrast to the ragged glory of, say, CSNY. And Don Henley has, I submit, the most beautiful voice of any white man alive. Glenn Frey has the most inoffensive, and in many ways perfect, Eagles voice. It's amazing how well these guys cohere as a unit when they seem to not be able to get along at all. So here's the deal: perfect harmonies, perfect melodies, great graphics, and no surprises. It helps a great deal that their recent double album "Long Road Out of Eden" is also really, really good -- better than their late pre-breakup records. It hurts, at least me, that they didn't do "Already Gone" or "The Heart of the Matter." I loved it, but at $200 or so for the good seats, it's not, for most people, a casual decision. (Media criticism bonus: Henley's "Dirty Laundry" comes with a video montage attacking Murdoch, Fox News, and crappy magazines, but carelessly includes The New Yorker in it.)

TimothyBFan
06-06-2008, 12:49 PM
Here's another blog review about the Eagles' concert in New York:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I saw the Eagles at Madison Square Garden over the weekend. I've never seen them before, and I don't think I've ever seen a more professional, precise rock n' roll show. The four actual band members wear black suits and ties, with white shirts, and put me in mind of a group of law partners who played in bands in college and are getting together to sing for the firm's annual Christmas party. (The sidemen also wore black suits and ties, but with black shirts.) The renditions of the songs were perfect. Every ounce of craftsmanship that went into making these songs classics was on display -- in contrast to the ragged glory of, say, CSNY. And Don Henley has, I submit, the most beautiful voice of any white man alive. Glenn Frey has the most inoffensive, and in many ways perfect, Eagles voice. It's amazing how well these guys cohere as a unit when they seem to not be able to get along at all. So here's the deal: perfect harmonies, perfect melodies, great graphics, and no surprises. It helps a great deal that their recent double album "Long Road Out of Eden" is also really, really good -- better than their late pre-breakup records. It hurts, at least me, that they didn't do "Already Gone" or "The Heart of the Matter." I loved it, but at $200 or so for the good seats, it's not, for most people, a casual decision. (Media criticism bonus: Henley's "Dirty Laundry" comes with a video montage attacking Murdoch, Fox News, and crappy magazines, but carelessly includes The New Yorker in it.)

What a great review!!
I have to admit I am having second thoughts myself about getting tickets because of the price, add on hotel, train or gas money, food, shirts/programs and cab fares, we are looking at a $900.00 evening at the very least. I am having a real hard time justifying that, 20th anniversary or not, with everything else that is setting on our platters right now. As much as I LOVE them and have never had the chance to see them--I just don't know!! Someone help reason with me here please!!! :hmm:

DonFan
06-06-2008, 12:53 PM
Willie, only YOU can make that decision. However, I think the 20th anniversary is a really big occasion, and if you feel you can afford it, I am sure it will be a trip that you will always remember.

Mrs Henley
06-06-2008, 01:14 PM
Willie, only YOU can make that decision. However, I think the 20th anniversary is a really big occasion, and if you feel you can afford it, I am sure it will be a trip that you will always remember.

I agree, DF is totaly right!

Glennsallnighter
06-07-2008, 04:22 AM
I agree with DF! You only regret the things you DON'T do. Hope fully with a little prudence here and there you can manage to save the money you need. It is a very special occasion for you and your hubby and you deserve to be able to celebrate it in style. I don't for one minute regret going to London to see them. Even with the cost of flights, hotel accomodation and 'living' for a family of 4 and ILAA tickets for myself and my daughter it was well worth it.

Only thing was.......makes me want to go again!

DonFan
06-07-2008, 08:19 AM
Here is a concert review from the entertainment paper in Myrtle Beach, the Weekly Surge.
http://weeklysurge.com/sub1.html

EAGLES AT HARD ROCK PARK
By Christopher Raposa For Weekly Surge

After the weeks of soft opening and early concerts including Kid Rock and George Clinton, Hard Rock Park in Myrtle Beach officially kicked off its grand opening Monday night (June 2) in grandiose fashion with an amazing show by the legendary Eagles, bolstered by the largest crowd to date at the theme park's new amphitheatre.

The day went by in a blur with the opening ceremony where CEO Jon Binkowski and Sister Hazel guitarist Ryan Newell flew up in a helicopter to grace the red carpet and officially open the park. As local and national media swarmed around celebrities and even S.C.GovernorMark Sanford, the stage was just being set for an amazing night of pure and perfectly played music.

The Eagles, featuring original members Glenn Frey and Don Henley, took the stage to the largest audience yet at HRP (no official numbers were available, but I'm estimating more than 6,000) and were nothing if not spectacular. As I waited for the Grand Opening day to arrive, I became more and more stoked. Frey, Henley, Joe Walsh and Timothy B. Schmit together onstage again? The solo hits by these guys alone could easily make up a two hour set.

The band started with its first hit in 29 years, "How Long" off of the 2007 release "Long Road Out Of Eden." From there, as strange as it may seem, I ran into MTV VJ Sway, who was just hanging out in the VIP section. As we listened to "Hotel California," Sway said, "It's just great to see real authentic, classic musicians jam for the love of the art and the music. The Eagles have touched so many people. Look at this crowd man. There are people from six to 60 here. They have set the bar high at the Hard Rock Park for whoever follows them."

The show continued with "Peaceful Easy Feeling," off of the band's self titled debut album followed by "I Can't Tell You Why" with bassist Schmit on lead vocals, and "One of These Nights."

Following that set, Frey talked to the audience about the next song "Lying Eyes," explaining that it was written in two days, and claiming, "damn, we were good."

Soon after, the boys started mixing in some of their solo hits, starting with Henley's, "Boys of Summer," then into the 1979 Eagles classics, "In The City," and "The Long Run," and the Walsh smash, "Life's Been Good To Me So Far," and Henley's, "Dirty Laundry," which was accompanied by a very well edited segment on the video screen mounted on the back of the stage depicting tabloid junk from the National Enquirer and "The View," to Fox News and CNN.

The show continued with the Walsh/James Gang classic "Funk # 49," then "Heartache Tonight," and finally finishing with "Life in the Fast Lane."

All I can say is, wow. The crowd at the amphitheatre went crazy, demanding an encore they were most assuredly going to receive. The band came back to finish with "Take it Easy," and shocked everyone in attendance (I'm being completely sarcastic), by finishing off the incredible night with "Desperado."

Whether you got comp tickets from someone in town, or paid the rather high price ($250) for the two-day concert package that included The Moody Blues on Tuesday, it was a show well worth seeing.

glenneaglesfan
06-07-2008, 04:54 PM
DF, thanks for posting that. It was so complimentary that it was almost like being there. How I wish more reviewers would get the vibe from the audience and stifle their own (or editor's) opinions!

Mrs Frey
06-09-2008, 02:35 AM
Thanks for the wonderful articles, DF! Some great compliments to the boys for a change. :D

TBF, I feel for you, girl. Money is tight these days. You only have ONE 20th Anniversary, though, and this is also your chance to make your life-long dream come true. I still can't believe how much money I spent to achieve my dream, but Lord knows, I don't regret it. Given some of the hell I've been through since, the knowledge that I did that has been keeping me going. I suppose what I'm saying is this: JUST DO IT! You'll be talking about the experience for years to come. Sometimes you just have to put good sense to one side :wink: and put your dreams first.

Mrs Henley
06-09-2008, 07:17 AM
Thanks, DF! Great article! :D

sodascouts
06-09-2008, 09:48 AM
What a great review! Thanks for posting that, DF!

And TBF - go for it!

samo
06-09-2008, 12:04 PM
That's a great review DF. Thanks for posting it. :)

DonFan
06-11-2008, 03:00 PM
I found another great one, from the HuntingtonNews.net. This writer, who is a devoted fan of both Eagles music and racing, draws interesting parellels between the Eagles and racing stars.
-----------------

June 11, 2008

On NASCAR: Hendrick Motorsports Lineup Rolling Along Like a Rock Band

By Cathy Elliott

I don't really know how or why we develop personal affinities for certain celebrities, like musicians or athletes, but they are deeply rooted and can last a lifetime.

Hundreds of thousands of otherwise ordinary adults, for example, leave their offices a couple of times each year to attend Jimmy Buffett concerts, draped in Mardi Gras beads and dressed in grass skirts and bikini tops made of coconut shells. And those are just the guys.

At a NASCAR event I attended recently, fans patiently stood three rows deep to purchase caps, T-shirts and banners bearing the name and likeness of their favorite driver, Dale Earnhardt Sr. The formidable Mr. Earnhardt has been gone for seven years, but his professional legacy and the love and loyalty of his fans remains undiminished.

Heroes are like that. We see something in them, sometimes definable and sometimes not, that speaks to something in us. We respond by knowing their birthdays, their hometowns and the ages of their kids.

They don't even know our names, but we don't mind. Our lives and memories are filled with their faces, or the sound of their voices. To us, they are friends.

This point was driven home to me in a most literal way when I had the opportunity to attend a concert featuring some musical heroes of my own, the Eagles. As Glenn Frey, Timothy B. Schmit, Joe Walsh, and my beloved soul mate (unbeknownst to him) Don Henley walked onto the stage and the opening bars of "Take It Easy" poured out into the sultry summer evening, I felt like I had been drop-kicked straight back into my childhood.

For an hour and 45 minutes, I was that kid sitting on her bed in the 1970s and painstakingly picking out the chords to "Hotel California" on my guitar, or earnestly belting out "Desperado" in the school talent show.

Like most other groups, the Eagles went through their share of personnel changes over the years, but this particular four-man lineup was the absolute best in the band's history. As I stood there and listened to their disparate yet compatible voices singing the familiar phrases that most of us know by heart, I was reminded of another four-man group which has found a comfortable harmony of its own, although they’re chasing NASCAR Sprint Cup Series trophies rather than Grammy awards.

Each member of Hendrick Motorsports, which has been called racing’s “Dream Team,” seems to have a counterpart in the band with the top-selling album of all time, the Eagles.

Despite a stellar career including work with Poco and Jimmy Buffett's Coral Reefer Band, Timothy B. Schmit probably isn't the first name that comes to mind when someone mentions The Eagles.

I’ll bet Casey Mears can relate to that. Bearing the name of one of auto racing's most famous families, it is easy to imagine that Mears might somehow feel overlooked in comparison to his three superstar teammates. A bit more difficult to understand, though, is the reasoning of those who speculate that Mears' tenure with the team may be nearing its end.

Schmit might look at Mears' situation this way:

"Nothing's wrong as far as I can see ...
"We make it harder than it has to be ...
"And I can't tell you why."

The quiet guy at the back of the stage is an absolute genius when he gets busy. Sometimes Don Henley goes unnoticed, obstructed by that drum kit, but when he decides to advertise his presence, there's no way to hide his unparalleled talent.

Henley reminds me of Jimmie Johnson. Although Johnson is hardly hidden, he is a member of a group with a flashy front man who also happens to be a four-time champion.

This position has not been a deterrent for Johnson, the reigning two-time NASCAR Sprint Cup Series champ. In fact, Johnson's competitive credo might well have been penned by Henley himself. "Put me on a highway, show me a sign …
“And take it to the limit, one more time."

With his TV star good looks and gregarious stage presence, a far cry from the “grunge” image embraced by many rock musicians, Glenn Frey has become the face of the Eagles franchise. Jeff Gordon had a similar impact on NASCAR when he came on the scene 15 years ago, embarking on a lengthy streak of winning races, championships and fans.

It has been seven years since his series title (of four), but Gordon shows no signs of worry. Experience has undoubtedly taught him a lesson or two about patience, taking one race at a time, and using each experience as a building block for the next. It smacks of Frey’s famous philosophy.

"Don't let the sound of your own wheels drive you crazy ...
“We may lose, and we may win, but we will never be here again ...
“So take it easy."

Schmit is respected, Frey is admired and Henley commands something akin to reverence, but Joe Walsh is the Eagle who makes a room erupt.

Walsh hasn’t written nearly as many mainstream hits as his counterparts. He sometimes seems reluctant to interact too closely with the public, allowing his band mates to do most of the talking, but when he picks up that guitar and launches into one of his signature songs, the music speaks for him. Crowds go wild with enthusiasm. They love the guy.

Dale Earnhardt Jr., the most popular driver in all of NASCAR, has never won a NASCAR Sprint Cup Series championship. Consistently good performances have failed to result in a victory so far this season. With every reason in the world to have an inflated ego, he remains one of the most down-to-earth guys in the garage. The roar that goes up when his name is announced during pre-race driver introductions seems to last forever; he acknowledges this approbation with a friendly wave and a smile of genuine appreciation.

Perhaps his well-known appreciation of music has helped Earnhardt take to heart the pragmatic viewpoint of Walsh.

“It's hard to handle this fortune and fame …
“Everybody's so different; I haven't changed ...
“Life's been good to me, so far.”

For fans of stock car racing, each event is like a live-action concert featuring their all-time favorite performers. Who can go the distance? We’ll find out, in the long run.

Neither of these groups will remain intact forever, but for now, it is enough to just sit back and enjoy the ride.

In the meantime, one thing is inarguable. To its devotees as well as its drivers, NASCAR remains the supreme example of life in the fast lane.

samo
06-11-2008, 03:41 PM
Thanks for that post DF; I loved it. We are big NASCAR fans too. What a different angle for a story.

DonFan
06-11-2008, 03:49 PM
I thought she had a great angle too, Samo.
She had some great lines in that piece. I loved it when she called Don her "beloved soulmate (unbeknownst to him)" and said he commands "something akin to reverence."
I feel exactly the same way! :heart:

Edited to add: I also love the way she singled out each & every one of the guys. Nicely done, all the way around.

Glennsallnighter
06-11-2008, 06:13 PM
That is indeed a lovely and very original review DF! Its great to hear the review of a real fan! Many of us know the feeling of trying to pick out the chords to our favourite songs as teenagers (And I'll admit to the same for LE!). Obviously I loved the compliments bestowed on Glenn :heart: (TV star looks and gregarious stage presence :inlove: - beautiful) and how apt the quotes from TIE! But it was lovely to see ALL the boys acknowledged for the roles they play within the band. Too often we see their performances compared and at least one of them found wanting. This was perfect!! IMHO anyway!

Freypower
06-11-2008, 08:18 PM
Not being American I am more familiar with Formula One racing. I am not clever enough to even attempt similar analogies. I enjoyed this take on the band.

sodascouts
06-11-2008, 08:19 PM
That was great. Thanks for posting it, DF!

Molly
06-11-2008, 09:13 PM
I love NASCAR and I love the Eagles. But, as I was reading that, I was thinking, "Oh, please, don't compare Glenn to Jeff Gordon!!" I can't stand Jeff Gordon!!

Aggghhhhh!!!! :x :x :x

Interesting read, though, DF, thanks for posting it.

Mrs Frey
06-12-2008, 02:17 AM
Oh, wow, DF! I really enjoyed reading that! Very original take on the band, indeed! And I loved that ALL the boys were acknowledged and praised. It's about time. :nod:

I know nothing about stock car racing, but I could appreciate the points she put across. A brilliantly written piece. :applause:

rcknalwys
06-12-2008, 02:12 PM
What a great article! Cleverly written and a fun read. I agree with everyone else, it was fantastic to see how she wrote about all 4 of them. Especially since each one contributes to the whole band in a different way. Thank you for sharing that with us.

06-12-2008, 06:43 PM
I liked the comparison to the Nascar drivers in that review as well. It was an interesting take. And as many of you have already commented, I also love it when all the guys get their dues by a reviewer.

glenneaglesfan
06-13-2008, 11:01 AM
Great review, DF, thanks for posting! I don't know the drivers involved, but I loved the analogies, and as for "With his TV star good looks and gregarious stage presence...", sigh! As you all have said, it's nice to acknowledge all the band members' contributions to the perfect whole.

Brooke
06-13-2008, 02:47 PM
I finally got to read that, DF. It was great!

freyfantastic61
06-14-2008, 02:28 PM
:D Thanku DF Ithoughly enjoyed reading that!

DonFan
06-16-2008, 06:51 PM
For all the guitar aficionados out there:
--------------------------------------------------

Now on tour, coming soon: The amazing, all-star guitars!
BY BO EMERSON, COX NEWS SERVICE, Tuesday, June 10, 2008

ATLANTA — When the Eagles went on the road for the “Hell Freezes Over” tour in 1994, they brought something like 48 guitars with them, an all-star lineup of wood, fiberglass and steel that included 10 Les Pauls, six Stratocasters, a doublenecked Gibson and a smattering of Rickenbackers. This for a band with only three guitar players, plus a drummer who played a little acoustic here and there.

Every song on the set list meant another gorgeous vintage instrument would come out onstage. This parade of Gibsons and Fenders has been waggishly described as “guitar porn,” especially for the guitar players and collectors in the audience, most of whom could only smack their chops and dream.

But now 48 is not enough. Joe Walsh and Glenn Frey alone will have 50 between them. Throw in guitars for drummer Don Henley, bassist Timothy B. Schmit and the new guy, guitarist Steuart Smith, and the fellows will have 80 axes at their disposal.

Does this take it past the limit ?

“Some would say they’re excessive, but I like them; I think they’re neat,” says Victor Rodriguez, the guitar technician for Frey. Besides, Rodriguez adds, “It’s job security ! Bring them all out !” It’s enough, in fact, to keep the band’s four guitar techs busy — changing strings, tuning, setting up action, tweaking necks and re-fretting.

And, for at least some audience members, it’s a big part of the show. “The initial reaction is ‘Oh my God !’” musician-turned-software-writer Leon Chalnick says of the number, variety and quality of guitars the band members play onstage. “It’s the jaw-dropping wow factor.” A guitar collector and a regular contributor to the guitar-andgear discussion Web site called the Gear Page (www. thegear page. net ), Chalnick has 13 guitars up on the walls of the music room at his house, and he’s not that unusual among the 28, 000 members of the site.

“Changing guitars can be a nightmare for the guitar tech,” he says, “but the crowd gets off on it.” Electric guitars add another layer of complexity to the equation, offering different tones for every make and model, from Telecaster twang to Gretsch jangle.

And a certain part of the audience just wants to see those beautiful instruments. “Part of the reason I go to any concert is to see what kind of guitars they’re going to play,” says Jason Durham, co-owner of Too Many Guitars in Tucker, Ga. He remembers catching the Eagles in the 1990s: “It was a feast for the eyes.”

There are also some guitars that are closely associated with some songs. Phil Collen of Def Leppard plays a black-and-white, crackle-finish Jackson instrument on “Pour Some Sugar on Me” in concert, as he did in the video, just because “people like to see those guitars again,” says Collen’s tech, Scott Appleton.

Joe Walsh brings out his 1959 Les Paul for the Eagles’ “Life in the Fast Lane,” not just because of the crunchy tone, but because it’s the one he’s known for playing on that song.

But art direction plays a role as well. Derek Brooks, of guitar manufacturer Ernie Ball / Music Man, says his company is building new Eagles guitarist Smith a doublenecked electric to play on “Hotel California,” even though the blond double-neck they made for him several years ago is still fine.

“They’ve changed set cosmetics around, and they asked for black instruments,” Brooks says.

TimothyBFan
06-17-2008, 07:56 AM
Thanks DF for posting that. That was interesting. I guess I take the music for granted so to speak and don't really think much about the different guitars and such being used to make it. I sometimes notice different guitars when they change them on videos or when I see a band in concert but don't really know the differences in how they sound. This was rather enlightening!

Brooke
06-17-2008, 10:35 AM
Hmmmm. Interesting!

I can now imagine Glenn and Don discussing getting black guitars to go with their black suits! We MUST be coordinated! :laugh:

Mrs Frey
06-17-2008, 10:49 AM
That's a wonderful and unusual article, DF. Thanks for posting it! :D

I've often spoken to my lead guitarist band mate about the Eagles having a different guitar for every song. My band mate has several guitars, although certainly not as many as the Eagles! :shock: I have ONE guitar :blush:, so you can imagine how fascinating it all is to ME! :lol:

I still get the greatest kick out of seeing Glenn :heart: play "Old Black". I downloaded the 1982 article from "International Musician..." magazine that Soda posted recently, and was particularly thrilled to read about the equipment that Glenn :heart: favoured at the time, and amused at how he spoke of his guitars as though they were women! He spoke of "having an affair" and "playing a little on the side" with Big Red (a red 335 Chuck Berry guitar), while still being "with" "Old Black" :lol:. I thought that was really cute!

samo
06-17-2008, 10:53 AM
Being a guitar lover myself, I love all of the guitar changes during the shows. There are tone differences between guitars also. For instance, you can have two acoustic guitars from the same manufacturer that look the same, but they have very subtle tone changes.

glenneaglesfan
06-17-2008, 11:00 AM
Thanks for that, DF! Although I don't play the guitar myself, I am interested in all the different models they use. Apart from anything else, it helps to identify which song they are performing in photographs.That's funny about Steuart's new black double-neck. They're certainly taking the colour coordination seriously!

Glennsallnighter
06-18-2008, 05:59 AM
I can play a bit. GEF, you should try! You could pick one up quite cheaply and you only need a few chords to get going.

Great article DF!

glenneaglesfan
06-19-2008, 06:24 AM
We already have four guitars in the house, GA - a bass, an acoustic, a battered old Spanish guitar and older son's sunburst red Les Paul, just like this one. 8)

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c96/Glenneaglesfan/Glenn/1217555660_1d394c28cd_b.jpg

I should give it a try!

Glennsallnighter
06-19-2008, 02:29 PM
You should indeed GEF :wink:

You should also give its 'attachment' a try :wink: :twisted: :twisted:

DonFan
08-23-2008, 11:39 PM
I haven't posted any press lately, so to remedy that, here is a short review I jusr read from www.somethingelsereviews.com (http://www.somethingelsereviews.com):

Long Road Out of Eden

The first release of all new songs by this major act in twenty-eight years clearly deserves an in-depth review. But my initial impression is that this is a record that plays to all their strengths: crisp songwriting by the Frey/Henley partnership ("I Love To Watch A Woman Dance" is drop dead gorgeous), simple but precise musicianship and gorgeous harmonies. In fact, the harmonies sound even better than during their heyday; we're talking CSNY good, people.

Just as Don Henley promised in his Billboard interview (http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/feature/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003658087), this isn't a record that bothers in the least to follow any trend, it's unabashedly an Eagles record. Like another prominent seventies band who avoided creative fallout in the 80's and 90's simply by not releasing new material during that time, Eden looks poised to provide the Eagles a Steely Dan-style comeback. As Henley sings, "I've been waiting in the weeds," the Eagles seemed to be doing just that before springing their perfected blend of country, rock and folk on a public that's most likely ready to hear this kind of music again.

glenneaglesfan
08-24-2008, 07:46 AM
Thanks, DF! How good to read such a positive review, but a Frey/Henley partnership on ILTWAWD? Maybe he should read the liner notes properly. Nice to hear that someone else loves this song though.

GlennLover
08-24-2008, 11:49 AM
Oh GEF - I love this song too!

Mrs Henley
08-24-2008, 01:18 PM
Thank you DF! :D
And yes indeed, Glenn AND Don on "I Love To Watch A Woman Dance"?
I only hear Glenn singing. lol.

TimothyBFan
08-24-2008, 02:50 PM
Fantastic review!! Love those!

Freypower
08-24-2008, 07:22 PM
Thank you DF! :D
And yes indeed, Glenn AND Don on "I Love To Watch A Woman Dance"?
I only hear Glenn singing. lol.

The writer thinks it is a writing collaboration, not a shared vocal.

However, as to it being 'drop dead gorgeous' - hallelujah. The song has been unfairly maligned. I cannot say enough about how much I love it.

DonFan
08-25-2008, 01:21 PM
Well, I am always glad to pass on positive press about our guys, but ILTWAWD and Fast Company are my LEAST favorite songs on the album. :thumbsdown:

Mrs Henley
08-25-2008, 01:29 PM
The writer thinks it is a writing collaboration, not a shared vocal.

However, as to it being 'drop dead gorgeous' - hallelujah. The song has been unfairly maligned. I cannot say enough about how much I love it.

Ah OK, my mistake!
I like the song, the lyric..only Glenn sings a little weird..but that's what I think of it.

And Fast Company is a great one, only Don's voice isn't "yeeh" on the track!

sodascouts
08-25-2008, 01:53 PM
IMHO:

ILTWAWD - powerful romance.

Fast Company - falsetto folly.

Glennsallnighter
08-25-2008, 05:12 PM
Thanks for that lovely positive review, DF and even if the author is a little awry on ILTWAWD, his heart is in the right place. It was like a breath of fresh air after all the wishy washy concert reviews.

GlennLover
08-25-2008, 05:57 PM
I think Glenn's voice on ILTWAWD is beautiful, IMHO. It make's me weak at the knee's. I have this fantasy of him dancing with me while he is singing. :drool: Well, one has to dream, doesn't one? :inlove:

Freypower
08-25-2008, 07:51 PM
Ah OK, my mistake!
I like the song, the lyric..only Glenn sings a little weird..but that's what I think of it.

And Fast Company is a great one, only Don's voice isn't "yeeh" on the track!

The word 'weird' is not one I would have used for Glenn's vocal on this song. I'm not going to try and defend it. I suppose some people find it either too sentimental or too slow. I think it is one of the most moving performances Glenn has ever favoured us with.

Prettymaid
08-26-2008, 10:57 AM
I like ILTWAWD. Fast Company, not so much.

glenneaglesfan
08-26-2008, 01:56 PM
I also love ILTWAWD. Glenn sounds almost vulnerable when he sings this, and I would love to be there to reassure him. I love that short guitar bridge after he sings "the song ends and she lets go of my hand." Oh, how I wish I was her - I wouldn't leave him feeling so bereft.:blush:

I must be in a minority enjoying Fast Company!

Mrs Henley
08-26-2008, 03:53 PM
The word 'weird' is not one I would have used for Glenn's vocal on this song. I'm not going to try and defend it. I suppose some people find it either too sentimental or too slow. I think it is one of the most moving performances Glenn has ever favoured us with.

Yeh OK, but it's my opinion...
I like the lyrics that's for sure, only the way Glenn is singing...it's not too slow, not at all..

08-26-2008, 04:23 PM
Thanks for posting that review, DF. It definitely is a matter of opinion, but this is a rare instance where I totally agree with a critic. I also think I Love To Watch a Woman Dance is drop dead gorgeous.

And gef, I'm also with you here. I also like Fast Company. Just to show how much opinions can vary - Fast Company is my oldest niece's favorite song on LROOE.

ticky
08-26-2008, 04:45 PM
Ya know, the first time I heard ILTWAWD I was a little creeped out. I mean a guy talking about watching a woman dance?? Yikes! but then if you listen to the song its more like he likes to watch a specific woman dance.. or more he's involved and thinking about the woman he loves and is dancing with her. If you think of it more as a metaphor and less litterally, it really is beautiful.
but if he's just sitting in the rafters with a pair of binoculars... yeesh!

08-26-2008, 04:58 PM
I agree ticky. But if you read the words to the last verse - he seems to be VERY involved to me. I don't think he is sitting in the rafters with a pair of binoculars. :wink:

"So we danced together, close and slow
So slow we're almost standing still
Her warm breath against my neck
Slowly breaking down my will
The room spins so I can barely stand
The song ends; then, she lets go of my hand
There’s so much I don’t understand
But I love to watch a woman dance
Yeah, I love to watch a woman dance"

WOW! :smitten: :smitten: :makeout:

Prettymaid
08-26-2008, 07:22 PM
I would be satisfied just to watch Glenn watch a woman dance!

Freypower
08-26-2008, 07:36 PM
Yeh OK, but it's my opinion...
I like the lyrics that's for sure, only the way Glenn is singing...it's not too slow, not at all..

I can't understand what it is about the vocal that you don't like. We will have to agree to disagree.

I've never understood why people see a 'voyeuristic' element in it that they find 'creepy'. A man observes a woman dancing and is impressed by the way she moves. Then he dances with her himself. It may be the only time they ever meet. It's a fleeting moment. I see nothing wrong with it at all.

Regarding Fast Company my opinion of it seems to change whenever I hear it. At the moment I'm in the 'I really like it' camp.

GlennLover
08-26-2008, 09:26 PM
Maybe Glenn is thinking of Cindy. She was a professional dancer & they did meet when she danced on his Livin' Right video. He may have thought of her when he 1st heard this song.

Fast Company has grown on me. I didn't like it at all at first. Now if I'm in the mood for a rockier song, I quite like it.

Brooke
08-27-2008, 10:46 AM
I still don't care much for ILTWAWD. I think Glenn does a beautiful job on the vocal, but I just can't really listen to it. It's very heartfelt and sensuous, but I'm nearly embarrassed that he is singing it. If Hubby is around and it comes on, he rolls his eyes and clicks it off, usually muttering "what was he thinking when he did that?!" :headshake:

Fast Company-don't care much for it either, but more than ILTW.

Mrs Henley
08-27-2008, 11:25 AM
I can't understand what it is about the vocal that you don't like. We will have to agree to disagree.

I can't describe it actually.. I think it's that I like Don his voice and being familiar with his one. Although I know Glenn his voice also good.
But I don't like his voice in ILTWAWD.. and I can't tell you why, that's the problem.. Maybe it's the way he's singing, I don't know.
I know this sounds really strange, but it's the truth.

DonFan
08-29-2008, 02:30 PM
Are The Eagles Extending North American Tour?

From www.kbsradio.ca (http://www.kbsradio.ca) By: Howie Edelson

The Eagles may be extending a leg of their upcoming North American tour. The band will kick off their next set of dates on September 6th at Tulsa's BOK Center, but Pollstar.com has just listed the band as returning there on November 11th after a six week layoff. No other additional dates have been announced yet.

Don Henley told The New Brunswick Business Journal that despite having numerous home comforts on the road, the Eagles tours are still strenuous, explaining, "Touring has always been mentally and physically draining, regardless of how it's done. That's just the nature of the beast. No matter how glamorous and exciting it may look from the outside, it's hard, grueling work and it takes its toll. Still, it beats the hell out of a 9 to 5 gig."

He shed some light on how he and the fellow Eagles -- Glenn Frey, Joe Walsh, and Timothy B. Schmitt -- gear up each night for the band's shows: "Soundcheck normally begins at 4 p.m. Dinner for band and crew begins at 5 p.m. We all have our own, personal rituals that we do in our dressing rooms before every show. Timothy and Joe do voice exercises. I ride my stationary bike for half an hour and do a little more stretching. Glenn often takes a nap or watches a sporting event on TV to relax... Most shows begin at 8:15 p.m. because we like to wait until all the audience members have found their seats."

Henley says that the group's core audience has expanded to include three generations. He thinks younger generations come to the Eagles'concerts partly out of love for their songs, but also out of desperation for the lack of good new music: "We think that music is so bad nowadays that young people are curious about what came before, and they come to see what all the fuss was about. And they've grown up with a lot of our songs, because their parents -- and even their grandparents, in some instances -- played these songs to death in their homes while they were growing up. We love to see kids come to the shows."
--------------------------------------
They can add more dates down South anytime they want!

ticky
08-29-2008, 03:52 PM
DF, Great article!!

On one hand I really hope they do expand their tour (please please pllleeeeaaaasseee come to Oregon.. even Seattle?!?! I'll travel!) On the other hand I know how greuling it is for our guys and I hope they take a rest!! *torn torn*

Glennsallnighter
09-01-2008, 06:55 PM
Are The Eagles Extending North American Tour?

They can add more dates down South anytime they want!

A few more across the pond wouldn't go amiss either!

Mrs Henley
09-02-2008, 05:39 AM
A few more across the pond wouldn't go amiss either!

Uhu uhu!!
Hope they will come soon back!!! (after they finished the US tour of course)

DonFan
09-05-2008, 12:36 AM
This little blurb came out of a Canadian newspaper:

"The Maritimes is clearly on a high right now with so many talented musicians coming to play in our little neck of the woods. The Eagles concert was a huge success, with 50,000 people showing up in person to hear Hotel California — 50,000 people getting drunk, bumping into each other, cramming as close to the stage as they can get just to say they were inches from Don Henley."

That is pretty much the concert experience, all right. My objective is ALWAYS to cram as close to the stage--and Don--as I possibly can! :nod:

GlennLover
09-06-2008, 12:40 AM
Oh, that brings back memories of Aug 2. I was one of the 50,000 :partytime: but I wasn't one of the ones getting drunk. I didn't want anything imparing my senses that night. That concert (my 1st & only eagles concert) has left me craving more! :inlove:

sodascouts
09-14-2008, 09:22 PM
Has this been posted yet?

There are two pieces interviewing Don in the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

The first one:

=======================================

"Golden Eagles" (http://www.star-telegram.com/entertainment/story/900152.html)

For almost a decade (1971-1980), various combinations of Don Henley, Glenn Frey, Bernie Leadon, Don Felder, Randy Meisner, Joe Walsh and Timothy B. Schmit — collectively known as the Eagles — sat atop the charts with a string of wildly successful albums that spawned songs beloved to this day: Hotel California, Desperado, Take It to the Limit and dozens more.

Fractured by fame, egos and relentless touring, the Eagles split up in 1980, after releasing 1979’s The Long Run and 1980’s contractually obligated Eagles Live. Henley, Frey, Felder, Schmit and Walsh embarked on solo careers to varying degrees of success before those same five artists returned to the nest with the 1994 reunion tour and live album, Hell Freezes Over.

Felder was fired in 2001 — and promptly sued his bandmates — leaving just four Eagles, all of whom will swoop into the American Airlines Center on Saturday for a two-night stand in support of Long Road Out of Eden, the first Eagles studio album in almost 30 years.

The Star-Telegram caught up with 61-year-old Linden, Texas, native Henley via e-mail to discuss, among other things, the current tour and the new record. (For more about Henley, read Preston Jones’ story (http://www.star-telegram.com/music/story/904626.html) in Friday’s Your Life section.)

Are the inter-band relationships more easily sustained these days? Does it feel as though the Eagles are in a fragile place?

The band as a whole is in a pretty good place right now, but things can still get volatile if we’ve been on the road for an extended time. When we’re traveling, there are all kinds of variables that we have to deal with. As professional and consistent as our operation is, every day requires some kind of adjustment. If all the band members don’t make a real and consistent effort to take care of themselves; if somebody, for one reason or another, isn’t getting enough sleep; if there’s an issue at home with one of our kids; if one of us is having voice trouble, then it becomes difficult to maintain a balanced perspective and moods can swing. Lately, things have been better overall, but I’d say that there’s still room for improvement.

In this election year, the second half of Long Road Out of Eden stands out (particularly the title track). Does the band share your feelings of urgency about speaking out on such issues as the war or the environment?

I think that all the members of the band are pretty much aligned in that regard. There was no debate. I think the other guys expect me to make occasional forays into territory that might be controversial. They’re fine with it as long as it doesn’t get too polemical. It adds another color to the work.

Is it possible to sum up the Eagles’ legacy, the band’s impact over the decades?

You’d need to ask somebody other than me. I don’t think about that legacy stuff. It is satisfying, though, to know that we have created a durable body of work, and that it’s still growing. The odds in this business have never been good, and they’re even longer these days. One album is a career now. But, at the end of the day, I care much more about my legacy as a father than I do about the legacy of the band. I have my priorities straight.

Birds of a feather

Don Henley (1971-present): Post-Eagles, Henley became a successful solo artist with 1982’s I Can’t Stand Still. He turned out several well-received albums that generated numerous hit singles (Dirty Laundry, The Boys of Summer and The End of the Innocence).

Glenn Frey (1971-present): Detroit native Frey also fared well as a solo act, with a pair of tracks (The Heat Is On and You Belong to the City) topping the charts in the early ’80s. He also branched out into acting with a variety of appearances, from the TV series Miami Vice to the movie Jerry Maguire.

Joe Walsh (1975-present): The Kansas-bred guitarist has enjoyed a quirky, acclaimed career outside of the Eagles, most notably with the James Gang, a rock band that has performed intermittently since the late ’60s. One of Walsh’s best known solo hits is 1978’s Life’s Been Good, a supremely weird commentary on rock stardom.

Timothy B. Schmit (1977-present): The crystalline-voiced Schmit has the odd distinction of having replaced Randy Meisner not once, but twice — first in country-rock collective Poco, when Meisner left to join the Eagles and then, in the Eagles. Schmit didn’t manage much of a solo career, electing to pick up session work, contributing harmony vocals and his bass skills.

Don Felder (1974-2001): One of the longest-serving Eagles and certainly the member with the most contentious exit — he brought lawsuits against Frey and Henley after being fired in 2001, both of which were settled out of court — Felder penned a tell-all memoir, Heaven and Hell: My Life in the Eagles, released this year.

Bernie Leadon (1971-1975): Perhaps the most country-inclined member of the Eagles, the banjo/mandolin-playing Leadon also logged time with the Flying Burrito Brothers, Dillard and Clark and the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band. He released Mirror, his first solo album in 27 years, in 2004.

Randy Meisner (1971-1977): The bassist and singer/songwriter was briefly a member of seminal California country-rock group Poco (he jumped ship prior to the release of their 1969 debut, Pickin’ Up the Pieces) before he signed on with the Eagles. After leaving the Eagles because of "exhaustion," he carved out a solo career and in 2002, released Dallas, which he’d recorded 20 years earlier.

Eagles inspired . . .

Sheryl Crow: The smooth blend of country ’tude and rock rebellion is what elevates this singer/songwriter’s material above her contemporaries. Taking the Eagles homage one step further, Crow collaborated with Henley on the track It’s So Easy from her 2002 disc, C’mon C’mon.

Vince Gill: Gifted with a soaring voice that recalls Timothy B. Schmit, Gill is also adept at fusing crunchy rock guitars with a twangy country sensibility. Appropriately, the Oklahoma native recorded a cover of I Can’t Tell You Why for the 1993 Eagles tribute album, Common Thread.

Trisha Yearwood: Another veteran of the Common Thread tribute album — Yearwood sang New Kid in Town — she is a Nashville superstar who easily moves from rock’s bombast to country’s earnest soul-baring. Yearwood also performed with Henley on her 1992 disc, Hearts in Armor, and with the Eagles at a 2001 MS Foundation charity gala in Dallas, just days before the quartet christened the American Airlines Center.

Justin Timberlake: This might seem like an enormous stretch but, in fact, the former Mouseketeer and N’Sync-er claimed in a 2002 Yahoo! Music interview that "a little bit" of the Eagles provided inspiration for some of the vocal harmonies on his solo debut, Justified.

A personal playlist

The Eagles may be the most adept recording artists when it comes to crossing over from country to rock and back, scoring iconic hits in each genre. Most people would include Desperado among their best country songs and Hotel California among the rock hits, but here are my favorites in each category:

A little bit country . . .

How Long (2007): The current quartet returned to the spotlight after nearly three decades with this melodic J.D. Souther classic, tipping the group into CMT territory, which probably says more about Nashville’s current state than it does the Eagles.

Take It Easy (1972): Leading off the Eagles’ self-titled debut, it’s not hard to see where modern country superstars like Kenny Chesney and Brad Paisley got their template — scrambling banjo, easygoing lyrics and just enough grit to leaven the glowing harmonies.

Peaceful Easy Feeling (1972): If ever a song felt like dawn peeking through the clouds, it’d be this tune, sung by Frey while featuring gentle acoustic guitars and that blissed-out pedal steel solo.

Tequila Sunrise (1973): The melancholy inverse of Take It Easy, Tequila Sunrise deftly sketches a lonely, hopelessly romantic tale set in small towns and dead-end bars.

Take It to the Limit (1975): Rolling, lush orchestration masks the slight vocal twang and rootsy feel of this aching ballad.

A little bit rock ’n’ roll . . .

Life in the Fast Lane (1976): With this rocket-fueled rip through an urban underbelly taken from magnum opus Hotel California, you can practically feel the sleaze oozing from Joe Walsh’s snarling lead guitar.

One of These Nights (1975): Don Felder’s inventive, searing lead guitar work and that falsetto-laden chorus gooses this ominous, sensual cut.

Heartache Tonight (1979): A punchy, muscular track, it showcases Frey’s soulful, Stax-worthy pipes and some serrated electric-guitar flourishes.

Witchy Woman (1972): Another haunted, haunting meditation on feminine wiles, Witchy Woman makes nerve-jangling use of funky shards of guitar and Henley’s evocative rasp.

The Long Run (1979): Strutting, chiming guitar and a vaguely funky bassline underpin this sweet, defiant ode to lengthy relationships, the title track from the Eagles’ last in-studio hurrah before Long Road.

Sources: eaglesband.com; donhenley.com; glennfreyonline.com; joewalsh.com; timothybschmit.com; feldermusic.com; bernieleadon.com; randymeisneronline.com; yahoomusic.com; rollingstone.com; livedaily.com; allmusic.com

[Wow - I just noticed something - GFO was a source! I've made the big time. ;) ]

sodascouts
09-14-2008, 09:23 PM
"In Fine Feather" (click link for article with photo) (http://www.star-telegram.com/music/story/904626.html)

If most bands were to go nearly 30 years between albums, they might agonize over the direction and tenor their new music should take, how time has changed them individually and collectively, and whether they will still be considered relevant.

For Long Road Out of Eden, the Eagles' first studio effort since The Long Run in 1979, the reverse held true. All it took was a chance encounter on YouTube to inspire the group and guide it in the right direction.

"There was some brief discussion about returning to our early style, but not for the entire album," writes co-founder Don Henley via e-mail. "How Long, the first single from the album, was definitely a nod to our beginnings, but even that came about somewhat by accident.

"Glenn [Frey]'s kids were surfing around on YouTube and found an old clip of us doing How Long on a Dutch TV show in 1973. ... We'd forgotten that we used to sometimes include it in our set. Glenn thought it would be a good idea to record it for the Long Road Out of Eden album, so we did."

This was a surprisingly spontaneous decision on which to begin a new body of work, especially given that Henley told interviewer Charlie Rose in 2001 that "rock bands work best as a benevolent dictatorship," and that most, if not all, of the Eagles' catalog stands as a testament to carefully and precisely blending ramshackle country colors with edgy rock flash.

Perhaps the Eagles -- playing American Airlines Center on Saturday and Sunday night -- are softening in their advancing years and letting some aspects of their music fall to chance. But then again, given the spiky nature of Long Road Out of Eden, perhaps the inspiration is not as random as it seems.

Old and new

Eden, a double-disc that neatly splits the difference between the Eagles' country and rock impulses, manages to update the quartet's signature sound (Henley and Frey, guitarist Joe Walsh and bassist Timothy B. Schmit remain on board) while subtly pushing it into the 21st century.

The second disc, in particular, where you'll find the blistering title track alongside pointed tunes like I Dreamed There Was No War and Frail Grasp on the Big Picture, unveils a more spirited side of the famously laconic group, although long-time fans will recognize Henley's fingerprints. The native of Linden, long known for championing a variety of causes, including music artists' rights and the environment, is in exceptionally acidic form throughout these nine tracks.

Henley's songwriting, particularly later in the '70s and during his very successful solo career in the '80s and '90s -- Dirty Laundry remains a prescient swipe at tabloid TV -- does not shy away from uncomfortable narratives but embraces them with a passion typically reserved for artists far removed from the glare of the mainstream spotlight.

Nor is this politically charged brand of songwriting anything new: On 1976's landmark Hotel California, Henley penned The Last Resort, a scathing, seven-minute condemnation of westward expansion, Manifest Destiny and urban sprawl that still has tremendous emotional resonance more than three decades later.

Yet Henley's reputation as a plain-spoken and politically inclined provocateur does not mean that the potentially divisive subject matter, be it social or political, is entirely antagonistic or that his bandmates plead with him to tamp down his opinions.

"I think the other guys expect me to make occasional forays into territory that might be controversial," Henley writes. "They're fine with it as long as it doesn't get too polemical. It adds another color to the work."
Indeed, the 61-year-old singer/songwriter speaks of a "longing for community," another impulse fueling his creative drive.

"That may sound sentimental or mawkishly idealistic, but I believe that a great many artists come from that same place, whether consciously or subconsciously," Henley writes. "Creating, for me, is therapeutic. It's a way of trying to make sense of a world that often doesn't make any sense at all. ... It keeps me off the shrink's couch, keeps me from climbing a tower with a rifle. Creating is a spiritual act, as well a kind of meditation."

Industry changes

Aside from indulging in more political songwriting, the Eagles charted an unconventional (although increasingly familiar) course in releasing Eden. Having fulfilled their major label contract with 1980's Eagles Live, the group and its longtime manager Irving Azoff bypassed the big-name labels and released Eden themselves, through an exclusive deal with Wal-Mart, which, improbably, anticipated the paradigm-shifting, Internet-embracing likes of Radiohead and Nine Inch Nails.

"The music industry as we have known it is almost extinct," Henley writes. "The digital revolution changed everything and not all for the better. Of course, some parts of the business needed to change. I don't think too many of us mourn the collapse of the major record labels. They did help to build the careers of many artists, including us, but they also took advantage of us in the process. ...

"The music business is complex, and it takes a number of years to figure it out," Henley continued. "... You can't really call the shots until you've had a significant degree of success, and to obtain that success, you usually have to give away the store to a major label."

Other things have changed in the industry as well. Music videos, gossip-driven entertainment TV shows and Web sites, and YouTube have made this an era of overexposure.

"We came up in an era when bands actually tried to avoid publicity except for what was absolutely necessary," Henley writes. "Our generation of musicians also considered the visual media as something to be avoided in most instances. We tried to maintain an air of mystery, a little aloofness. ... Back in the day, there was no MTV or VH1. That was the beginning of the end, I think -- MTV. It forcibly turned an aural medium into a visual medium and in doing so, killed the opportunity for the listener to use his imagination."

For now, this

With the new album on store shelves and the tour to support it under way, what's next? It's hardly hyperbole to suggest that many, if not all, of the Eagles' die-hard fans eagerly anticipate more music from this foursome, but while many classic rockers tour 'til the wheels fall off, Henley doesn't seem so inclined. In fact, there's the matter of his solo career, which has more or less been on hiatus since 2000 to focus on the group.

"I have several diverse album projects that have been simmering in my head for a few years now," writes Henley of his solo career. "The trick is finding the time to do them without shortchanging my family. Soon, I'll be setting up a recording studio in or near my home in Texas, so I'll be able to go home after work."

But toss out the big kahuna -- Will the Eagles ever make another album? -- and the response is simultaneously blunt and sentimental.

"I really don't know what will happen after this touring cycle ends. I think it will probably take us another year or more to cover the remainder of the globe, and there is nothing planned after that," Henley writes. "There has been no discussion about making another album. I'm not ruling that out, but it's not something that I contemplate with any degree of enthusiasm, at least at this point. I would, in fact, be perfectly happy to stay home, take care of my wife and kids, and work on solo projects in my spare time.

"These past 37 years have been amazing and wonderful beyond my wildest dreams, and I am as thankful as I can be," he writes. "But I'm tired of packing and unpacking. I'm tired of airplanes and hotel rooms. ... I'm ready for a quieter, simpler life.

"Of course, I've been saying that for 30 years."

Preston Jones is the Star-Telegram pop music critic, 817-390-7713

DonFan
09-14-2008, 09:27 PM
No, I was away from my computer this weekend and didn't get to post these--thanks for putting them up!
And hurray for both GFO and RMO being listed as sources! :thumbsup:

BTW, I am particularly fond of these statements:

Yet Henley's reputation as a plain-spoken and politically inclined provocateur does not mean that the potentially divisive subject matter, be it social or political, is entirely antagonistic or that his bandmates plead with him to tamp down his opinions.

"I think the other guys expect me to make occasional forays into territory that might be controversial," Henley writes. "They're fine with it as long as it doesn't get too polemical. It adds another color to the work."

Freypower
09-14-2008, 10:26 PM
YAY Soda!

What a fantastic, comprehensive interview and review. I completely agree with the picks in the 'Golden Eagles' piece. I like the 'soulful, Stax-worthy pipes' bit because Rolling Stone said Don had the 'Stax' voice while Glenn had the 'smooth Motown croon'. It's nice to see Glenn's voice compared with his beloved Stax too.

I also agree with Don's statement about 'controversial but not polemical'.

TimothyBFan
09-15-2008, 08:27 AM
Sources: eaglesband.com; donhenley.com; glennfreyonline.com; joewalsh.com; timothybschmit.com; feldermusic.com; bernieleadon.com; randymeisneronline.com; yahoomusic.com; rollingstone.com; livedaily.com; allmusic.com

[Wow - I just noticed something - GFO was a source! I've made the big time. ;) ]

Congratulations Soda!!!!! Your definitely doing it right!!!!!!

Brooke
09-15-2008, 02:23 PM
Way to go, SS! :thumbsup:

09-16-2008, 09:08 PM
Those were very interesting reads. Apparently this reporter did his homework and used some pretty good online sources. :wink:

glenneaglesfan
09-17-2008, 03:25 AM
Great reads, Soda! Thanks for posting those. I enjoyed the selected songs at the end of the first one. And congratulations to GFO!!

Brooke
09-22-2008, 03:52 PM
I found this review in a St. Louis paper. You would think they could come up with a current picture to go with it! :rolleyes:

http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/atoz/2008/09/show_concert_review_2008_september_20_st_louis_set ilist_the_eagles_scottrade_center_don_henley_glenn _frey_joe_walsh_schmit_timothy_hotel_california_ed en.php

Show Review + Setlist: The Eagles at the Scottrade Center, September 20, 2008.

Sun Sep 21, 2008 at 02:16:50 PM
http://www.boston.com/ae/music/blog/Eagles.jpg
When the four principals in the Eagles (http://www.eaglesband.com/) took the stage at the Scottrade Center last night, they were bedecked in dark gray suits, white dress shirts and thin black ties, all strategically loosened at the collar. The sartorial choice was a slick one – it was hard to tell if they were paying homage to Reservoir Dogs or claiming their spot as their generation’s Rat Pack. It’s closer to the truth to say that the quartet – Don Henley, Glenn Frey, Joe Walsh and Timothy B. Schmit – looked and acted like businessmen. That’s not a bad thing – when the premium tickets cost $185, you expect some professionalism and efficiency. That these men look like CEOs at the end of a long board meeting is fitting, all things considered.
While it would be easy to dwell on the more business-like aspects of the current incarnation of the Eagles – the aforementioned ticket prices, the decision to initially sell last year’s double-disc Long Walk out of Eden exclusively at Wal-Mart – it’s safe to say that the crowd got exactly what they bargained for. The Eagles' deep catalog and new songs (along with a few solo numbers from Henley and Walsh) made for a well-paced show that showcased what made the band such superstars to begin with – unbeatable harmonies, country-flecked story-songs and plenty of hot guitar action.
Backed by a drummer/percussionist, guitarist and three (three!) keyboardists, the Eagles began the show with a four-song set of new tracks from Eden. Each Eagle got a shot to take the lead, with Henley’s “Too Busy Being Fabulous” emerging as the standout. Across the board, each singer’s voice remains strong, clear and immediately identifiable (this is a nice way of saying that Walsh still sings as if his larynx is perpetually being squeezed in a vise). Some of the high harmonies are now out of reach, but the layering of their voices was seamless.
A mariachi-colored trumpet solo introduced “Hotel California,” which introduced a string of classics that lasted until the intermission. The Eagles get props for playing its signature song so early in the set; “Hotel California” would be a natural set-closer or encore performance, but last night it served as a nice pivot between old and new. It’s easy to forget how many of these songs are ubiquitous: the mellow mood of “Peaceful Easy Feeling,” the dark heart of “Witchy Woman” and the cautionary tone “Lyin’ Eyes” have all been fully absorbed into our collective subconscious.

While it’s more than a stretch to think of the Eagles as America’s country-rock version of the Beatles, each singer’s style and personality was evident at last night’s show. Glenn Frey writes the McCartney-esque populist songs with big choruses; like Sir Paul, he’s also the funny one, though some of jokes as the Eagles emcee were groan-worthy. Like Lennon, Don Henley’s songs have a little more depth and poetry to them, with more than enough moralizing to go around (his tabloid-bashing “Dirty Laundry” got aired toward the end of the night (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2PxAIAI1QQ)). Joe Walsh is the wild card, Ringo Starr recast as a guitar god and drug casualty – he’s good for a cheap laugh and a muggy facial expression for the cameras. That makes bassist Timothy B. Schmit the George Harrison in this paper-thin analogy, but like George, Schmit is the dark horse whose songs bring a coy sweetness to the group; his “I Can’t Tell You Why” was a standout in the first set.
After a twenty-minute intermission, the band returned for an acoustic set of mostly new material. “Take it to the Limit” sounded fine in this arrangement (although I’m amazed that they didn’t bust out “Seven Bridges Road”). As may be expected, the acoustic numbers provided a bit of a lull that didn’t pick back up until Walsh sang “Walk Away,” a holdover from his days in the Cleveland group the James Gang (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Gang). The proper set ended with “Heartache Tonight” (which was nicely augmented by a four-piece horn section) and “Life in the Fast Lane.” The two-song encore began with “Take it Easy” and ended with “Desperado,” with Henley taking center stage and stepping out of character to extend the song’s final long note. Time will tell if the Eagles will tour again, but last night’s show proved that there’s still some magic in those old songs and in the interplay among the musicians.
Other Notes:
*During “Boys of Summer,” the video projection screen was switched to black and white, a nod to the iconic music video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNGgCraSvbo).
*Timothy B. Schmit is the American version of Rush’s Geddy Lee: both bassists have preternaturally high voices, equally high cheekbones and long, stringy hair. You also can’t look at either one for too long.
*Joe Walsh put on a “hat cam” during his solo hit “Life’s Been Good,” while a Joe’s-eye-view was portrayed on the screen.
*Even though Henley and Walsh got to sing their solo songs, Frey did not bust out “You Belong to the City” (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMxGnEVty8w) or “The One You Love,” let alone “The Heat is On.” A missed opportunity.
*Frey joked that this was the Eagles’ “Assisted Living Tour” that quip received the biggest laugh of the night.

Setlist:
1. “How Long”
2. “Too Busy Being Fabulous”
3. “I Don’t Want to Hear Anymore”
4. “Guilty of the Crime”
5. “Hotel California”
6. “Peaceful Easy Feeling”
7. “I Can’t Tell You Why”
8. “Witchy Woman”
9. “Lyin’ Eyes”
10. “Boys of Summer”
11. “In the City”
12. “The Long Run”
(Intermission)
13. “No More Walks in the Woods”
14. “Waiting in the Weeds”
15. “No More Cloudy Days”
16. “Love Will Keep Us Alive”
17. “Take it to the Limit”
18. “Long Road out of Eden”
19. “Somebody”
20. “Walk Away”
21. “One of these Nights”
22. Band introduction / “Life’s Been Good”
23. “Dirty Laundry”
24. “Funk 49”
25. “Heartache Tonight”
26. “Life in the Fast Lane”
Encore:
27. “Take It Easy”
28. “Desperado”
-- Christian Schaeffer

----------------------------------

Ahem, Long Walk Out of Eden? :headshake:

Brooke
09-22-2008, 04:37 PM
And here's another:

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/entertainment/reviews.nsf/concert/story/ED1DC3A0D61E610E862574CB004673E6?OpenDocument

Eagles deliver strong effort to adoring crowd

By Terry Perkins

SPECIAL TO THE POST-DISPATCH

09/21/2008

For a band that followed up its huge success with a string of platinum-selling albums in the 1970s by breaking up in the early 1980s, the Eagles are doing just fine, thank you. The band’s concert at Scottrade Center Saturday evening was packed with rabid, adoring fans of the group’s string of ‘70s hits – and the core group of Don Henley, Glenn Frey, Timothy B. Schmidt and Joe Walsh delivered those hits with unquestioned authority.

In the course of a three hour-plus, two set performance, the band played more than a dozen of their most memorable hits, with a nicely crafted balance of tunes from their early, country rock beginnings to the elaborately produced sound of later albums such as “Hotel California” and “The Long Run.”
Each set also kicked off with a healthy dose of tunes from the band’s latest double CD, “Long Road From Eden.” And on new songs such as “Too Busy Being Fabulous,” “Waiting In the Weeds” and “No More Cloudy Days,” the group proved it still possesses a knack for cranking out tunes that fit precisely into the Eagles formula – well-crafted lyrics built on soaring vocal harmonies and bolstered by a barrage of strummed guitars.
Henley, Frey, Schmidt – and for the most part, Walsh – certainly delivered those familiar, rich harmonies on “Hotel California,” “Lyin’ Eyes,” “I Can’t Tell You Why,” “Take It to the Limit,” “Desperado,” “Take It Easy” and other hits throughout the evening.
There were nods to the solo efforts of Henley and especially Walsh throughout the concert as well. Henley’s 1984 hit, “Boys of Summer,” was clearly a highlight of the first set. And Walsh had plenty of opportunity to showcase his guitar prowess on early James Gang and solo hits such “Funk 49” and “Life’s Been Good” – although the use of a “hat cam” to show shots of the crowd on the big screens that flanked the stage during that tune was a bit contrived.
The band had plenty of musical help cranking out its hits. The four Eagles were backed by 10 additional musicians, including three keyboard players, a four-piece horn section, two percussionists and especially guitarist Steuart Smith, who joined the Eagles on the front line and cranked out an unending stream of concise solos.
One jarring note. For a band that started out wearing faded jeans and flannel shirts, it was more than a little odd to see Henley, Frey, Schmidt and Walsh take the stage in black suits, white shirts and black ties. Maybe it’s a tribute to corporate bands –who are known to cover quite a few Eagles tunes. Or perhaps its an homage to the Eagles accountants, who will certainly be kept busy counting the proceeds from this current tour. Whatever the suits meant, it’s obvious that the Eagles still have plenty of meaning for the dedicated fans who relished every note of the band’s performance at Scottrade.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've noticed Busy Being Fabulous being called Too Busy Being Fabulous lately! I guess they don't bother to check the cd or official website?

And why no pictures? Camera Nazis with the press, too?

Prettymaid
09-22-2008, 05:00 PM
Interesting analogy to The Beatles in the first review. I'm not sure I agree with all of it.

Seems like everyone's got to get their digs in about the suits. Hey, I'm not a fan of the suits, but if the only way I can see them perform is wearing suits, then I'm not complaining!

Freypower
09-22-2008, 08:29 PM
The 'populist McCartney = Frey' and 'deep Lennon = Henley' stuff has some merit, but I think it has been over argued.

The comparison of Schmit with Geddy Lee is unfair to both men (I will now play advocate for hubby, who is a Rush fanatic). Schmit sings much sweeter than Lee, who tends to shriek. Lee has a whole lot of Neil Peart's complicated lyrics to get through. Yes, both play bass and both have high cheekbones but really....

Needless to say I completely agree with the 'missed opportunity' part relating to Frey's songs, but that's all I can say, except that TOYL has never been suggested as an Eagles song before. I like the thought, but he sings too many ballads as it is.

TimothyBFan
09-23-2008, 07:55 AM
May I rant for a moment--

"*Timothy B. Schmit is the American version of Rush’s Geddy Lee: both bassists have preternaturally high voices, equally high cheekbones and long, stringy hair. You also can’t look at either one for too long."

Wanna bet!!

"(this is a nice way of saying that Walsh still sings as if his larynx is perpetually being squeezed in a vise)."

Wanna bet!!!

"but last night’s show proved that there’s still some magic in those old songs and in the interplay among the musicians."

He almost redeemed himself, if only he had left out the word some.

Darn-I hope they stick All She Wants To Do Is Dance back in tomorrow night.

tbs fanatic
09-23-2008, 09:52 AM
I'm with you tbf. '..long stringy hair.' - :lightsaber:

DonFan
09-25-2008, 11:52 PM
Joe gets a turn for an interview:

The Eagles: Life's been good

After making their first studio album in 28 years, the ever-bickering Eagles are getting along better than ever, says guitarist Joe Walsh.

By JON BREAM (http://www.startribune.com/bios/10644496.html), Minneapolis-St Paul Star Tribune September 25, 2008

Eagles guitarist Joe Walsh is the anti-Eagle. Make that the anti-ego.

You know about the big shots in the Eagles -- Don Henley and Glenn Frey. Purposeful singer-songwriter Henley is the band's conscience; free-spirited singer-songwriter Frey its heart. Bassist Timothy B. Schmit, the quiet one, brings a peaceful, easy feeling. And Walsh, the loud one, brings much-needed humor, energy and personality.

Take, for instance, when Walsh phoned recently from Texas. Hurricane Ike had forced cancellation of the band's show the night before in Houston."I'm in Dallas, which is the first place the hurricane's going after it hits Houston," he said. "I don't know why we're here. I think it's our own personal hurricane and it's going to follow us wherever we go."

When stormy weather and the Eagles are mentioned in the same sentence, it usually refers to the inability of Henley and Frey to get along. Remember that classic quote from the acerbic Henley when the group broke up in 1980? He said they'd play together "when hell freezes over."

After reuniting as a touring act in 1994, the Eagles finally released an album of new material in October 2007, reestablishing themselves as a viable artistic entity, not merely a lucrative business arrangement between fractured friends. "Long Road Out of Eden," a two-disc, 20-song epic, quickly became a big seller, topping 3 million in sales -- a blockbuster by today's standards, but a shadow of the 29 million copies sold in the United States of "The Eagles -- Their Greatest Hits 1971-75," the biggest selling album of all time.

"We are getting along better than ever," said Walsh, whose band returns to Target Center on Tuesday. "We've just really settled down. We're just really comfortable around each other now. We're all sober. We've discovered sleep," said Walsh, 60. "There's a different feeling when you've played with musicians for 30 years. A lot of stuff doesn't even need to be said, especially onstage. We just read each other so well. We're like the 'Grumpy Old Men' movie. We're like Walter Matthau and Jack Lemmon -- except there's four of us."

Walsh, known for his work with the James Gang and solo recordings, joined the Eagles in 1975 as a replacement for co-founder Bernie Leadon. He knows his role. "It truly is Don and Glenn's band," the guitarist said. "I knew that when I joined, and it hasn't changed. They call the shots and decide policies. I think the world of them as a team. So that's OK with me."

Here's how the Eagles fly, according to Walsh: "Don usually has an overview of a concept or a complete statement. Glenn helps him turn that from abstract to a real thing. My job is to feed that input and put some kick-ass guitar on it and try to keep them sane and focused."

Not that Walsh is afraid to speak his mind. For instance, he doesn't dig the stage outfits for this tour -- black suits, white shirts and black ties."I don't know exactly why we're doing it. I guess Glenn came up with it," said Walsh, who had grown accustomed to wearing whatever he wanted onstage. "You feel a certain way with a suit and a tie on. My problem is my tie gets stuck in my guitar strings and all of a sudden my guitar doesn't work anymore. I've got to get a tie clasp, but I never get around to it."

Dancing with Wal-Mart
Not that the Eagles ever play it straight. Besides the suits and ties, the most conservative thing these left-leaning Californians have done is give Wal-Mart the exclusive retail-store rights to "Long Road Out of Eden." "That was pretty much a business decision," Walsh explained of allowing Big Blue to sell the CD for $11.88. "We found Wal-Mart to be a fairly green company and at least open to dialogue on some of their policies. It was kind of a bold step. It worked pretty good. It may open the door for a bunch of frustrated artists to distribute new material as an alternative to iTunes. And it's a pretty darn good deal; if it was [done via] a record company, [the CD] would have cost twice as much."

Of course, the Eagles, especially the outspoken Henley, are still critical of the Bush administration. It's obvious in the 10-minute title cut on the new album, which the band will play in concert. It's a song about U.S. soldiers fighting in Iraq."We tried to do that through the eyes of the guys who are over there. They're gung-ho when they get there and as time goes on, they don't really know why they're there," Walsh said. "Without ever talking about revolution and getting down too much on anybody, we were trying to say 'We're in a big mess.' "

The album features other social commentaries ("I Dreamed There Was No War," "Frail Grasp on the Big Picture," "Do Something") as well as songs about relationships ("Busy Being Fabulous," "What Do I Do with My Heart," "I Love to Watch a Woman Dance").

Of course, slow-working, perfectionist Henley wasn't totally happy with "Eden." "Egos must be fed," he told the Houston Chronicle this month. "Objectivity and perspective can go right out the window. Art suffers. For better or worse, survival often depends on placing egalitarianism, diplomacy and compromise above all else. That is the reality of group dynamics."

Is that true?
"Yeah, pretty much," said Walsh, who, like Schmit, gets to sing lead on two tunes on the new album. "Left to our own devices, we'll never be done. There were some compromises that everybody had to make."

At first, the Eagles tried to reinvent themselves by exploring new sounds that might be more compatible with contemporary radio, Walsh said. Then they decided to just be themselves, except their approach to recording this time was different. It was no longer "lock ourselves in the studio for three months and stay up for most of it. Whatever that was, we released and called art," Walsh said. "We're sober now and we all have families and obligations of being senior citizens. Oh, that's hard to say. We have grownup responsibilities. We used to all live in the same car."

Walsh, like his bandmates, welcomes the new songs. The Eagles were "getting frustrated" regurgitating the hits "like a Vegas show or like the Beach Boys," he admitted. "We knew we had another album in us. It was a painful birth. But it's great to have new material."

Also a bit painful is this year's tell-all book by fired Eagles guitarist Don Felder, "Heaven and Hell: My Life in the Eagles (1974-2001)," in which he writes about trashing hotels, abusing drugs and suffering the wrath of Henley (who once chewed him out for wearing the wrong shoes onstage) and Frey (who teased him about his bald spot), who railroaded him into taking a smaller part of the lucrative pie in the band's latter years.

"To be honest, I've tried not to worry about it too much," Walsh said of the book. "We couldn't say anything for a long time because we were in a lawsuit with him. Down deep, I like him. He was fun to stand next to and play with. A bunch of that [what Felder wrote] didn't concern me because some of the tension came from events before I joined the band."

But is the story true about Walsh throwing a grand piano out a hotel window?
"Not the whole piano went out the window," he recalled of his pre-sober days. "But a lot of it -- the legs and the lid and a bunch of the keys and the pedals. I wouldn't want anybody to think the wrong thing."

ticky
09-26-2008, 12:10 AM
LOL what a great interview! ya gotta love Joe, an Honest diplomat *G*

MikeA
09-26-2008, 06:24 AM
Joe gets a turn for an interview:

The Eagles: Life's been good

After making their first studio album in 28 years, the ever-bickering Eagles are getting along better than ever, says guitarist Joe Walsh.

By JON BREAM (http://www.startribune.com/bios/10644496.html), Minneapolis-St Paul Star Tribune September 25, 2008

Eagles guitarist Joe Walsh is the anti-Eagle. Make that the anti-ego.

Very good "DonFan".

I had not seen that particular interview (no wonder, the dateline is Sept 25...yesterday! http://content.sweetim.com/sim/cpie/emoticons/0002007D.gif (http://www.sweetim.com/s.asp?im=gen&ref=10) )

Wonder what was meant about "anti-Eagle or anti-ego?" Walsh is very much an Eagle and I don't see significance in the "ego" statement <LOL> But other than that, I got a real kick out of it.

(http://www.sweetim.com/s.asp?im=gen&ref=12)

TimothyBFan
09-26-2008, 08:49 AM
"Also a bit painful is this year's tell-all book by fired Eagles guitarist Don Felder, "Heaven and Hell: My Life in the Eagles (1974-2001)," in which he writes about trashing hotels, abusing drugs and suffering the wrath of Henley (who once chewed him out for wearing the wrong shoes onstage) and Frey (who teased him about his bald spot), who railroaded him into taking a smaller part of the lucrative pie in the band's latter years."

For the love of God-I am so sick of hearing about Don Felder whining and carrying on in this book! I've teased my husband about the shoes he chooses for wear sometimes and his bald spot, but he doesn't continue to whine on and on about it, years later. And come on, "railroaded" him!!

I think Joe was great in this interview:

"To be honest, I've tried not to worry about it too much," Walsh said of the book. "We couldn't say anything for a long time because we were in a lawsuit with him. Down deep, I like him. He was fun to stand next to and play with. A bunch of that [what Felder wrote] didn't concern me because some of the tension came from events before I joined the band."

Very polite and fair!!

Love the part about the piano and the hotel window!!! :)

DonFan
09-26-2008, 09:26 AM
Wonder what was meant about "anti-Eagle or anti-ego?" Walsh is very much an Eagle and I don't see significance in the "ego" statement <LOL>

(http://www.sweetim.com/s.asp?im=gen&ref=12)

I think "anti-Eagle" refers to the fact that Joe has always been known as the wild card in the Eagles, behaviorally speaking. It doesn't mean he's not an Eagle, because Joe clearly states his allegience to the Eagles every chance he gets--it just means that compared to Don, Glenn & Timothy, Joe always cuts up and jokes around a little bit more. And to me, "anti-ego" refers to the fact that regardless of Joe's immense talent, he always says he is happy to support Don & Glenn as leaders of the band.

glenneaglesfan
09-26-2008, 10:19 AM
Great interview, DF. It's good to hear Joe's take on things. I love the interviewer's summing up here:

Purposeful singer-songwriter Henley is the band's conscience; free-spirited singer-songwriter Frey its heart. Bassist Timothy B. Schmit, the quiet one, brings a peaceful, easy feeling. And Walsh, the loud one, brings much-needed humor, energy and personality.

DonFan
09-26-2008, 10:35 AM
Great interview, DF. It's good to hear Joe's take on things. I love the interviewer's summing up here:

I loved that quote too!

Brooke
09-26-2008, 11:05 AM
Whenever I read some of these with Joe, it's almost startling. He gets this serious look on his face and says things very seriously, but you can feel his craziness just wanting to bust out! Love it!

tbs fanatic
09-26-2008, 02:01 PM
That was great. Nice to hear from Joe for a change.

Prettymaid
09-26-2008, 02:13 PM
I knew it, I just knew it! Those ties do get in the way! Now everybody needs to send poor Joe a tie clasp! :grouphug:

sodascouts
09-30-2008, 08:13 PM
More from Joe:

Walsh on James Gang, Lucy & Kenny (http://www.startribune.com/entertainment/music/29907699.html?page=1&c=y)

Joe Walsh's life outside the Eagles has been good, too. He toured in Kenny Chesney's band, reunited with the James Gang and rooted for his daughter on an MTV talent contest.

Q Your reunion tour last year with the James Gang didn't visit many cities. But how did it go?

A It went really well. It was pretty radical to go from the Eagles to being the only melodic instrument. You have to play a certain way. It's like the Who. It was a great kick in the pants for me to get my chops up and to improvise a little more.

We wanted to just go out and test the waters so we didn't book a really long tour. I think in the future we'll do some more of that. It's pretty much a full-time job being an Eagle right now, with the new album out. That's fine with me.

Q Are you thinking about another solo project?

A I've got one in me, I know that. I've been writing with some people. I did some work with Jeff Lynne. That's going really good. I'm just working on that when there's time.

Q I saw your daughter Lucy, 24, play in Ashlee Simpson's band a couple of years ago, and then Lucy made a name for herself this year on MTV's "Rock the Cradle."

A That was kind of a weird show. But she did the best she could do. The judges were kinda weird. She plays in Los Angeles a lot. She's really working it by herself. I talked to her about it at length. I said, "Daddy can get you a career, but it'll be your 15 minutes of fame. It would be better if you did it yourself and you'd still be around in five years." Ashlee's peaked, shall we say. Lucy's got the gene from me, and she's a good all-around musician. She's been in school studying classical piano and majoring in music.

Q You sat in on some shows on Kenny Chesney's tour last year. How did that come about?

A That was really fun. I had a period of down time where I had done most of my assignments on the [Eagles] album, and it was up to Don [Henley] and Glenn [Frey] to finish up the words and singing and mixing. I was talking to Kenny and he said, "Why don't you come out and play my show?' The country scene is amazing. The big stadiums get totally packed and everyone knows the words and it's screaming young girls. I met a whole bunch of great Nashville musicians and they accepted me in their community. Classic rock and country music go well together.

Q In 1980, you mounted a, um, campaign for president even though you weren't old enough to hold the office. You're not running this year, are you?

A There is the write-in vote.

ticky
09-30-2008, 09:07 PM
Great interview! thanks Soda for posting that. It would be so wonderful to see Joe do another solo project! and maybe (please please please) tour!

Prettymaid
09-30-2008, 09:20 PM
Joe's so real and unassuming. What you see is what you get with him. I love that!

TimothyBFan
10-01-2008, 08:46 AM
He would get my write in vote for president.

10-01-2008, 11:34 AM
Mine too - but I guess he'll have to can the slogan he used the second time he ran for office, which was "Free gas for everyone"! :D

Glennsallnighter
10-05-2008, 06:03 PM
Great interview. Joe certainly has a way with words.

glenneaglesfan
10-08-2008, 03:35 AM
Thanks for posting that, Soda. I love reading these interviews. Being somewhat ignorant I hadn't realised that Joe is the only one playing the melody in the James Gang. I guess the other two are on drums and bass, is that right?

sodascouts
10-08-2008, 11:01 AM
That's correct, GEF. It's called the "power trio" format (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_trio).

Brooke
10-08-2008, 01:09 PM
Interesting! I didn't realize that either.

Thanks Soda!

timfan
10-21-2008, 05:43 PM
Apologies if this has been posted before but i just found it.. nice pic too....

http://www.nypost.com/seven/02172008/business/eagles_soar_97980.htm

Prettymaid
10-21-2008, 05:59 PM
The Virgin Records thing was interesting, and yea! A new DVD of the history of the Eagles in the works! :partytime:

Brooke
10-21-2008, 06:13 PM
Cool! Thanks tf!

DonFan
10-22-2008, 10:51 AM
The Virgin Records thing was interesting, and yea! A new DVD of the history of the Eagles in the works! :partytime:

Ooh, sounds great!
Thanks for posting that, tf!

glenneaglesfan
10-23-2008, 06:20 AM
That dvd sounds interesting. Thanks for posting that, tf.

Here's a complimentary review of LROOE, from The Star, a Malaysian site. I particularly like this quote "...before Frey takes over the mike for the hopelessly, shamelessly romantic I Love to Watch a Woman Dance, a country waltz with the requisite amounts of romantic flavouring." Hopeless romantics, here we go again.:)

http://www.star-ecentral.com/music/reviews/review.asp?file=archives/music/2008/10/LongRoadOutofEden&artist=The%20Eagles&title=Long%20Road%20Out%20of%20Eden&sec=music

Long Road Out of Eden
Artist: The Eagles
Genre: Rock
(Lost Highway/Universal)

Reviewer: CHUA CHERN TOONG
http://www.star-ecentral.com/reviews/music/2008/10/20Eden.jpg

In what could be the most surprising occasion of recent times, veteran Californian rockers the Eagles have set aside all their long-standing differences (and there have been many, given the fractious time the band members went through during their initial tenure), gone back into the studio, and come up with a brand new studio album.

This is no mean feat, considering the fact that Don Henley, Glenn Frey, Joe Walsh and Timothy B. Schmit have all carved relatively lucrative solo careers outside the commercially successful confines of the parent group.

Then again, there have been a handful of Eagles reunion tours mounted since the official break-up back in 1980, ostensibly done in the name of band spirit (but more likely for reasons of profit, given the inflated ticket prices those shows charged).

Therefore, it could be accurate to deem this new studio album as yet another ploy to part diehard fans from their hard-earned cash, the latest in some sort of elaborate post-career money-spinning scheme.

Whatever the actual reason might be for the release of Long Road Out of Eden (a hefty double-disc collection, no less), it’s still worthwhile to go through what it has to offer.

After all, this is the same band that has blessed radio channels, record stores and karaoke lounges everywhere with indisputable classic-rock standards like Desperado, Take It Easy, One of These Nights, and of course, the signature tune Hotel California.

A few things are immediately apparent on Long Road Out of Eden: the band’s melodic sensibilities remain undiminished, even after all these years of inactivity, and the twin-guitar tag team of Walsh and Frey is still as accomplished and assured as ever.

Henley’s voice might sound a bit worse for the wear, but it suits the material to a tee, and Schmit’s dependably sturdy bass undertows are holding everything together again.

Opener No More Walks in the Wood is one of those inimitable harmony-vocal fests so beloved of longtime Eagles fans, while first single How Long is a veritable, easy-rolling Southern-fried nugget that is somewhat reminiscent of 1974’s Already Gone.

The cheekily titled Busy Being Fabulous twangs along like any other country-rocker the band has produced in the past, and What Do I Do With My Heart is an earnest mid-tempo rocker that chugs along on a percussive undertow.

The boogie-rocker Guilty of the Crime features a rare appearance from Joe Walsh on lead vocals, while ballads like I Don’t Want to Hear Anymore, No More Cloudy Days and Waiting in the Weeds feature all the familiar Eagles musical accoutrements: steel guitars, acoustic backdrops and loads of harmony vocals.

However, the title track is a 10-minute epic that skilfully blends lyrics about personal apocalypses and rampant mass consumerism, while the pulsing, action-packed Fast Company blasts in with a full horn section.

The concise, laidback instrumental I Dreamed There Was No War provides a breather of sorts, before things heat up again with the no-holds-barred funk-rock workout Frail Grasp on the Big Picture, a vitriol-laden invective on the state of the American nation and a chaotic post-9/11 world landscape.

Walsh then shows up again on vocals for the Friday night knees-up Last Good Time in Town, before Frey takes over the mike for the hopelessly, shamelessly romantic I Love to Watch a Woman Dance, a country waltz with the requisite amounts of romantic flavouring. The cautiously optimistic, apathy-berating It’s Your World Now closes the proceedings for what has turned out to be a rather commendable comeback effort.

So, while Long Road Out of Eden can never hope to matching the heights set by confirmed classic Eagles albums like One of These Nights and Hotel California, it’s still an admirable record that should endear itself in time to the hearts of faithful followers.

Everything you love about the Eagles is in place here, and thankfully, the band doesn’t venture into any dangerous, uncharted territory (a reggaeton-inspired Eagles would be too much to take). All in all, an unexpected but certainly welcome reformation for one of mainstream rock’s marquee acts.

TimothyBFan
10-23-2008, 07:35 AM
gef-thanks for posting-I love this review, especially, " and Schmit’s dependably sturdy bass undertows are holding everything together again", but don't like the preceeding part of that sentence, "Henley’s voice might sound a bit worse for the wear, but it suits the material to a tee". Wonder what he means, "worse for the wear"?? Sounds pretty d*mn good to me!!!

DonFan
10-23-2008, 09:45 AM
Excellent review, GEF--thanks for posting.
This part sums it up very well:
"It’s still an admirable record that should endear itself in time to the hearts of faithful followers. Everything you love about the Eagles is in place here."

Freypower
10-23-2008, 06:42 PM
Glenn's been promoted: 'twin-guitar tag team'. I wish. It wouldn't hurt him to play more lead guitar. However, a lot of the lead guitar on this album is by Steuart.

I also loved the description of ILTWAWD. Hear hear! I will shamelessly plug this song whenever I get a chance.

I disagree about Henley's singing not being so good. I think he does some of the best singing of his entire career on this album.

As for 'cautiously optimistic, apathy-berating' It's Your World Now? I have never seen a Glenn Frey song described in this manner. To me he's encouraging the next generation rather than 'berating' the current generation, although I guess it could be interpreted that way.

eaglesvet
10-23-2008, 11:01 PM
Glenn's been promoted: 'twin-guitar tag team'. I wish. It wouldn't hurt him to play more lead guitar. However, a lot of the lead guitar on this album is by Steuart.

I also loved the description of ILTWAWD. Hear hear! I will shamelessly plug this song whenever I get a chance.

I disagree about Henley's singing not being so good. I think he does some of the best singing of his entire career on this album.

As for 'cautiously optimistic, apathy-berating' It's Your World Now? I have never seen a Glenn Frey song described in this manner. To me he's encouraging the next generation rather than 'berating' the current generation, although I guess it could be interpreted that way.
Glenn had said in an interview that IYWN is being sung by a man who's dying. I assume it's to his wife/girlfriend, but I can't remember if he actually said that part in the interview or not.

Freypower
10-23-2008, 11:29 PM
I think if you focus on the 'dying man' idea it's too narrow. After all, in the course of the song the narrator dances with the woman, kisses her and has 'one' glass of wine. Hardly the actions of a man who is about to shuffle off this mortal coil. I prefer to think of the 'I must be leaving soon' and 'my race is run' stuff in a broader sense of him passing the torch. When I first heard it and focused on the 'dying' stuff it upset me too much.

I think Don said something about how the song was a message to their children, as the key lines 'be part of something good/leave something good behind' state. I vaguely remember that Glenn said both this song and Centre Of The Universe were messages to the next generation.

fred
10-24-2008, 01:48 PM
"Busy Being Fabulous This is the New Single In The Netherlands, Great Song.:rockguitar:
Fred

sodascouts
10-25-2008, 05:06 PM
Glenn had said in an interview that IYWN is being sung by a man who's dying. I assume it's to his wife/girlfriend, but I can't remember if he actually said that part in the interview or not.

Yes, that was the Capital Gold interview, I believe, where Glenn said the song is told from the perspective of a dying man.

I figure it's a "message to the kids" type song.

Mrs Henley
10-26-2008, 08:09 AM
And to their fans, Glenn and Don also said in an interview

Freypower
10-26-2008, 06:25 PM
When did they say the song was a message to their fans? Can you provide a specific quote? I don't see how it is specifically addressed to fans.

To me, if it is sung by a dying man, then the 'first a kiss/one glass of wine/just one more dance/while there's still time' lines are somewhat at variance with the story, shall we say. If that is Glenn's view of it, fine, but I maintain it is too narrow a perspective.

sodascouts
10-26-2008, 09:46 PM
When did they say the song was a message to their fans? Can you provide a specific quote? I don't see how it is specifically addressed to fans.

Don: "But I think the point of the whole album is summed up on the last song that Glenn wrote with Jack Tempchin, ' Your World Now.' The crux of the whole thing for me is those two lines: 'Be part of something good, leave something good behind.' For me that sums up everything -- to my children, to my fans, to everybody. If there was one message to this album that I want to impart, that would be it."

[I]Billboard 2007 (http://www.donhenleyonline.com/articles/billboard2007qa.htm)

To me, if it is sung by a dying man, then the 'first a kiss/one glass of wine/just one more dance/while there's still time' lines are somewhat at variance with the story, shall we say. If that is Glenn's view of it, fine, but I maintain it is too narrow a perspective.Freypower, how is "first a kiss/one glass of wine/just one more dance/while there's still time" at variance with a guy who's dying and knows he doesn't have much time left, so he's trying to cram in a few last experiences? That he may only have time for just one more dance (as opposed to many dances)? It makes perfect sense from the perspective of a dying man.

You can interpret it however you like, but since Glenn co-wrote the song, I would hesitate to say his explanation of his own work is "too narrow"!

Freypower
10-26-2008, 10:00 PM
I only thought that if you're about to die, you would not be able to dance, still less drink, unless he's only just found out that he's dying and...

Sorry, this has become morbid.:worried: But perhaps that is the best way to look at it. He isn't literally on his deathbed but that may not be too far away for him.

So let me put it another way. I think the lyrics improve once we're away from the 'dying' part into the 'now I'm passing on my message' part.

eaglesvet
10-27-2008, 09:20 AM
Once I heard that Capitol Gold interview, and listened to IYWN again with the new insight, it actually seemed to make a whole lot more sense to me. Previously, I couldn't understand why it was he was saying a "final" goodbye to someone he obviously cared so much about.
The line, "My race is run," reminds me of a Biblical reading that says something like, "I have run the good race to the finish," which St. Paul apparently wrote in his twilight years...so I think that also fits in with Glenn's original message. But, like all songs, messages develop in the minds of the listeners, based on their own life observations and experiences!
On another note, why is is that all of our HSG guys get jilted in the songs on LROOE? Are these women crazy? That was something I also couldn't understand...but I guess it makes for good songwriting!

Freypower
10-27-2008, 09:49 PM
Does Joe get jilted? GOTC is a 'new love story' and in LGTIT he 'knows you'll come on down' which could refer to a woman, even though he spends most of the time alone in the song.