PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Do you support a new album by Eagles + Guests?

Delilah
08-21-2017, 10:05 AM
I saw a similar poll on another forum so I was curious about the general view by Border members.

Freypower
08-21-2017, 06:21 PM
No, but with the caveat about 'previously unreleased material by Glenn' being the only possible thing that could sway me in the other direction.

sodascouts
08-21-2017, 06:34 PM
Honestly, I'm confused by the choice about using the Eagles name - if it's an Eagles album, they're using the Eagles name, right? I'm also a bit confused about using previously unreleased Glenn material. How do you mean?

I don't want a new album from these "Eagles" but I'm confused by these extra choices, lol.

WalshFan88
08-21-2017, 06:39 PM
No, but with the caveat about 'previously unreleased material by Glenn' being the only possible thing that could sway me in the other direction.

This is basically it for me. If it would be mixed in with new stuff from the guests, I'd simply only import the songs with Glenn into my iTunes....I'm simply not interested in new music from the new era of this band. Just my feelings on it.

Freypower
08-21-2017, 06:49 PM
Honestly, I'm confused by the choice about using the Eagles name - if it's an Eagles album, they're using the Eagles name, right? I'm also a bit confused about using previously unreleased Glenn material. How do you mean?

I don't want a new album from these "Eagles" but I'm confused by these extra choices, lol.

Possibly what is meant is that they could do an album with this lineup but not call themselves 'Eagles'. If that's the scenario, I am still not interested in it.

Or miraculously out of nowhere they could find some unissued Eagles recordings featuring Glenn & combine them with newly recorded tracks. But if that were to happen quite frankly, I would only want Henley, Walsh & Schmit involved.

TW
08-21-2017, 07:01 PM

I picked this option because I support a collaboration between (Henley, Walsh, Schmit, Deacon, and/or Vince) but it shouldn't be labeled "Eagles".
ex: A Henley/Walsh album

sodascouts
08-21-2017, 07:28 PM
I picked this option because I support a collaboration between (Henley, Walsh, Schmit, Deacon, and/or Vince) but it shouldn't be labeled "Eagles".
ex: A Henley/Walsh album

Yeah, I don't care if they want to work together as long as they don't pretend it's the Eagles - maybe I should have picked that one too - but the original poll question was that it was an album by the "Eagles" + guests....?

Ah well. I guess it's not a tragedy if I picked the wrong one, lol.

New Kid In Town
08-21-2017, 08:03 PM
No.
I thought there was no unreleased material. However, I know they also claimed they had no footage from the 70's so who knows...

Dawn
08-21-2017, 11:12 PM
I suppose it's only a matter of time before they do a new album but why? To record Eagles classics featuring Vince Gill and Deacon Frey?

Freypower
08-21-2017, 11:46 PM
I suppose it's only a matter of time before they do a new album but why? To record Eagles classics featuring Vince Gill and Deacon Frey?

I have not seen any suggestion that they would go so far as to make an album. It took them long enough to make the last one. I will say this though. If such a thing were to occur it would need to be with new material. Re-recording old songs would shred the last vestiges of their credibility. Let us hope for their sakes they don't even consider such a thing.

But then I didn't think they would attempt to continue playing live, either.

WalshFan88
08-22-2017, 12:36 AM
I have not seen any suggestion that they would go so far as to make an album. It took them long enough to make the last one. I will say this though. If such a thing were to occur it would need to be with new material. Re-recording old songs would shred the last vestiges of their credibility. Let us hope for their sakes they don't even consider such a thing.

Me personally, I think from now on when it comes to Eagles news, I'll take it as it comes and not a minute before. I really believe it's a matter of when it happens it happens and nothing is off the table, just from what I've seen. I've seen Henley talk about new video of the band on the HOTE tour, but I don't want to get my hopes up. I'd really love some new videos from the band, stuff from the vault.

Dawn
08-22-2017, 02:15 AM

Recently I've noticed rumblings/wishful thinking by fans about the band cutting a new album - nothing from the Eagles themselves.

Personally I agree if they were to make an album it would need to be with new material which seems like an awfully tall order this late in the day. And yet re-recording old songs packaged as an Eagles Family and Friends kinda thing could cast a dark shadow ... or maybe not ... perhaps Eagles ReImagined is where all this is going. Whatever the answer, I voted no.

UndertheWire
08-22-2017, 03:32 AM
I went with the "don't know" option because I would want to defer my decision until I knew what was on offer.

If they have unreleased songs that could be packaged up, I might be interested. I'd like to hear any version of "When a bad boy meets a bad girl in the night" and if means bringing in a guest to sing it, that's ok.

I'm not a big Henley fan these days. While I loved his voice in the 70s and still love most of those recordings, the current Henley vocals don't work for me. I'd rather he worked on solo releases than release the same under the "Eagles" name.

Bringing in guests to cover the same old Eagles songs doesn't appeal either.

chaim
08-22-2017, 05:37 AM
Nah, IMO there's no reason for an album. Deacon and Vince are there to "help" with live performances. It doesn't mean either one of them will naturally become "an Eagle" in the studio. I wouldn't have much interest even if they used some unreleased Glenn stuff, because it wouldn't necessarily be great stuff. (Music often remains unreleased for a reason.) Even though I'm a Glenn fan, I don't want to hear anything by him only because it's him.

I couldn't vote, because there was no suitable option for me. "No. The Eagles' last studio album was in 2007. Nothing they do now can measure up to past releases." is the closest, but I can't say beforehand that they can't make an album as good as the previous ones, can I? It just wouldn't be the Eagles for me. Hmm...perhaps I should vote "depends on if and how the "Eagles" name is used". I still wouldn't actually support it, but it would be ok with me.

Funk 50
08-22-2017, 06:06 AM
I'd love a new Eagles album. I can find many flaws with Long Road Out Of Eden but I'm delighted that they made it.

I'll buy anything with Walsh on it. I wish I had 100 Walsh LPs in my collection. I thought Henley and Schmit's most recent albums were right up there with their best. I'm sure I'd enjoy anything they put together as a collective.

Deacon's an unknown quantity but he seemed to be excellent in the live performances I've viewed. I don't think I'll ever be a fan of Vince Gill's music.

I don't want the Eagles to fizzle out as a premium retro music act, which is what was happening even before Glenn died. I want them to be better than that. :roll:

Brooke
08-22-2017, 10:48 AM
I would be interested in unreleased songs by any of the originals that has been 'found'.

I would be interested in any new music by Deacon, maybe.

Not interested in anything else by this 'group'.

NightMistBlue
08-22-2017, 02:11 PM
Whatever makes them happy, that's cool.

BillBailey1976
08-22-2017, 02:34 PM
Do you think they'd do a Live Album? If they really wanted to re-record the classics, I think this is how they'd do it, to try to assuage the anger, by saying this is the current group, doing a current live album, not replacing what's been recorded in a studio.

BTW, I voted for yes to a new album, but only with new material.
I would like to see how they'd do. Wouldn't be the same, but could still be good.

Freypower
08-22-2017, 05:29 PM
I'd love a new Eagles album. I can find many flaws with Long Road Out Of Eden but I'm delighted that they made it.

I'll buy anything with Walsh on it. I wish I had 100 Walsh LPs in my collection. I thought Henley and Schmit's most recent albums were right up there with their best. I'm sure I'd enjoy anything they put together as a collective.

Deacon's an unknown quantity but he seemed to be excellent in the live performances I've viewed. I don't think I'll ever be a fan of Vince Gill's music.

I don't want the Eagles to fizzle out as a premium retro music act, which is what was happening even before Glenn died. I want them to be better than that. :roll:

Not that there is any point in responding to this, but they CAN'T be 'better' any more. In my opinion.

Even if they did make an album it would probably suffer the same cruel fate as LROOE did live.

As for a live album, it certainly would not assuage my anger. On the contrary, I would feel even more betrayed, if that were possible. You may as well ask them to release a live DVD of this lineup, which is more likely. Would I even think of buying that? No. The only thing I would have bought would have been a Concert for George type tribute, which didn't happen. So forget it.

Glennsallnighter
08-22-2017, 06:26 PM
I would not have any interest in a new album by the current line up - Deacon will eventually break away and start developing his own musical brand. I suppose Vince Gill will stay as long as he's needed but to me he will never be a true 'Eagle'.

I WOULD like to see a DVD of the HOTE shows and I would definitely buy that.
I would also love to have seen some sort of posthumous release of Glenn :heart:s material. I do believe that he had some substantial work done towards a new album and I'm sorry that those that could control such things did not consider this important enough. Both Bowie and Prince have had tribute releases and I feel Glenn :heart: has once again been overlooked. Even if it was incomplete or was augmented with previous releases or perhaps photos it would have been nice and his fans would have appreciated it.
But I would prefer that this was an album dedicated to just Glenn :heart: rather than just him being stuck into a general album. Surely he deserves that much?

New Kid In Town
08-22-2017, 06:44 PM
FP & GA - Amen. I would love a dvd of the HOTE tour. I would also love an album of Glenn's songs but would settle for an Eagles album with NUMEROUS unreleased Glenn/Eagles vocals. However, not the usual one song per album. I love Don's, Tim, Randy and Joe's voice but I think they lost a lot when Glenn turned over almost all the vocals to Don. IMHO, that's what was so special about them. Four real lead singers.
However, it appears we will have to settle for Jack's new album. Thank God for him and Bob.

UndertheWire
08-23-2017, 07:19 AM
I like to think I would give and album of new music a fair chance regardless of which name they used but the truth is I'd probably be resistant. Anyway, there's no point me hoping for or worrying about something that will probably never happen.

Using Glenn's analogy of the mothership, it's a nice, safe place and takes a lot of people and effort to get moving. Which is why they have the smaller, more agile boats that go off and explore.

I'd rather hear the solo efforts than a band effort that takes a lot of their time and energy and compromise. I felt this way before Glenn died.

maryc2130
08-23-2017, 09:06 AM
I chose the "not sure" option, but chances are that if they did put out new music, I'd be curious enough to buy it.

I doubt that it will happen, except maybe live albums from HOTE or the current tour. They were definitely taping at the Classic East the night I was there, and Timothy had different areas of the crowd cheering while each area was was lit up, and the cameras scanned that area.

It's not something I spend much time thinking about, though. IF they do, great. I might like it. I might not. If they don't put out anything new, I'm okay with that, too.

UndertheWire
08-23-2017, 10:25 AM
They were definitely taping at the Classic East the night I was there, and Timothy had different areas of the crowd cheering while each area was was lit up, and the cameras scanned that area.
A very small part of that showed up in the promotional video for the mini-tour.

Delilah
08-23-2017, 12:05 PM
I haven't voted yet, although I'm leaning toward 'yes'. My concern is that a new album may not be very good. I don't want to sell them short though. These are a very talented group of guys and I'm sure they wouldn't release anything they didn't think was great.

Sorry about the confusion. I was trying to avoid a wordy subject line. If there is a new album by Don, Joe and Timothy + Guests, my bet is that it would be called an Eagles album. It's possible though that they would go with something else, like "Eagles & Co." or "An Eagles Experience" or even the "family and friends" thing, etc.

As far as new Glenn material, I was thinking of demos or even samples he may have recorded for LROOE that he ditched for some reason. Or even some vintage stuff the band recorded in the 70s but never released, like "Bad Man" just to use an example (although I know that one isn't a favorite of yours, Soda!). There's also music that Glenn and Don wrote together that they may never have actually recorded. Don may decide to revive some of it; Deacon could sing lead. This is one such song that the uploader claims was written by Don and Glenn in the early 70s.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_Sbel73Q_vo

Delilah
08-23-2017, 12:09 PM
Possibly what is meant is that they could do an album with this lineup but not call themselves 'Eagles'. If that's the scenario, I am still not interested in it.

Or miraculously out of nowhere they could find some unissued Eagles recordings featuring Glenn & combine them with newly recorded tracks. But if that were to happen quite frankly, I would only want Henley, Walsh & Schmit involved.

Hello, welcome back, FP. Yes, your explanations reflect what I meant. Thanks.

New Kid In Town
08-23-2017, 12:16 PM
Wow - Thanks Delilah ! I know this sounds stupid, but was that Glenn singing the lead ? :confused::blush::headscratch:

Delilah
08-23-2017, 12:31 PM
No, this was performed by a tribute band called Birds of Prey. I don't how the uploader knows it was written by Glenn and Don but it appeared on an Eagles tribute album, according to the description. There may be more explanation on the album itself. It does make me wonder how many "lost songs" are out there.

You're welcome, NKIT.

New Kid In Town
08-23-2017, 12:57 PM
Thanks Delilah - I knew that did not sound like Glenn. I'll bet they are out there. Remember they scrapped almost all OTB and when the studio closed there were all those taps literally thrown out at the curb. Also, in his book, Don. F. mentions having tapes of them when they were trying to do the new album in the late 90's.

BillBailey1976
08-23-2017, 03:18 PM
I think that some of those lost bits and pieces would be very nice to have. Like the original "Hotel California" demo that Felder sent Henley and Frey. I'd love to hear that track.

Dawn
08-23-2017, 03:25 PM
Apart from the Eagles, seems Glenn did enough songwriting with others that hasn't been heard before that could become commercially viable today ... such as a couple songs on the new album by Jack Tempchin.

"As an added bonus, the album also includes “Privacy” and “Everybody’s Gonna Love Somebody Tonight.” Both are vibrant, hard-rocking songs by Tempchin and Frey that have never appeared on record before"

peacefuleasyfeeling.com

LuvTim
08-23-2017, 07:10 PM
Whatever makes them happy, that's cool.

Agreed.

Funk 50
08-24-2017, 05:16 AM
I've lost interest in the Eagles. They'll need to release something new to re-ignite my interest.

BillBailey1976
08-24-2017, 06:50 AM
I've lost interest in the Eagles. They'll need to release something new to re-ignite my interest.

If they plan to turn this mini-tour into a full fledged US tour this spring, I see them releasing something this winter, maybe around Christmas, Walmart Exclusive. Either a new box set, DVD, live CD, something.
Because, like with you, I'm sure there are people who are losing interest. I mean the band released it's last album 10 years ago, and the fan base is split on whether they should even be a band.

scottside
08-24-2017, 09:03 AM
If they plan to turn this mini-tour into a full fledged US tour this spring, I see them releasing something this winter, maybe around Christmas, Walmart Exclusive. Either a new box set, DVD, live CD, something.
Because, like with you, I'm sure there are people who are losing interest. I mean the band released it's last album 10 years ago, and the fan base is split on whether they should even be a band.

Maybe the 40th anniversary of HOTEL CALIFORNIA cd will be out in time for the holidays.

BillBailey1976
08-24-2017, 01:10 PM
Maybe the 40th anniversary of HOTEL CALIFORNIA cd will be out in time for the holidays.

That would only be exciting if there were some extras with it. I mean who doesn't have HC? Some fancy 40th Anniversary packaging isn't going to boost it too much. I think they'd need a bonus DVD...maybe HOTE live...at least a few songs like the Concert footage with the doc.

Funk 50
08-24-2017, 04:09 PM
I'm pretty sure that an anniversary edition of Hotel California is on it's way.

Henley has said that he's personally working on live recordings from the Hotel California tour, that'll serve as extra tracks. It sounds great for the Christmas gift market but I don't think it'll re-ignite my love for the band, even with a dvd.

Obviously with Henley at the helm, it could be any Christmas in the next decade. ;)

BillBailey1976
08-24-2017, 09:00 PM
More awesome would be a complete live album from the Hotel California tour. We already have some songs from Eagles Live that were done in Hotel California era.