PDA

View Full Version : Today in Randy History

Delilah
09-18-2017, 12:30 PM
I didn't know where else to put this so I started a new topic.

Today in 1982, "Never Been in Love" hit #28 on the Billboard Hot 100. It would peak here and remain on the charts for 11 weeks. The songwriter, Craig Bickhardt, also wrote a Christmas song, "When Heaven's Calling You" on which Vince Gill sings lead. Small world!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f5KI6gDNk2Q&app=m&persist_app=1

Dawn
09-18-2017, 01:06 PM
Great thread idea ...

This is my first time hearing this recording and Randy sounds great! And yes, that's interesting about Vince. I'm going to have to check out that particular song as well.

Thanks Delilah.

NightMistBlue
09-18-2017, 01:41 PM
The title of this thread makes me smile. Good work as always, Delilah!

Delilah
09-18-2017, 02:22 PM
Thanks, ya'll. I loved this song back in the day. :heart: The only thing I knew about Randy Meisner was that he'd been in the Eagles. I had no idea what he played or sang in the band or what he looked like. :-)

East Texas Girl
09-18-2017, 04:38 PM
Absolutely love this song!!

NightMistBlue
09-18-2017, 05:03 PM
To my ears, the intro to this song sounds very similar to REO Speedwagon's "Keep On Loving You," which was a massive hit the year before. I don't know if that helped or hurt Randy's cause. The record company doesn't seem to have been very supportive if they wouldn't even give him money to tour (behind a top 40 song! What were they thinking?!).

I was not familiar with this song at all back in the day. Maybe it got airplay in certain regions and not others. I had heard "Hearts on Fire" though, and knew Randy Meisner from his lead vocal on "Take It to the Limit." The DJs would say his name when introducing the record, like "Randy Meisner with the Eagles" along those lines. Didn't know what he looked like til MTV though. :) Some of my older siblings had the "One of These Nights" and "Hotel California" albums, but I didn't know which member was who.

Delilah
09-19-2017, 01:33 PM
To my ears, the intro to this song sounds very similar to REO Speedwagon's "Keep On Loving You," which was a massive hit the year before. I don't know if that helped or hurt Randy's cause. The record company doesn't seem to have been very supportive if they wouldn't even give him money to tour (behind a top 40 song! What were they thinking?!).

Interesting; I don't really hear it. The intro to KOLY seems more pronounced and assertive to me but I can see how someone may think they sound similar. The record company should have ponied up the money for a video; that would given him so much exposure. But maybe he didn't want to do one at that point.

I was not familiar with this song at all back in the day. Maybe it got airplay in certain regions and not others. I had heard "Hearts on Fire" though, and knew Randy Meisner from his lead vocal on "Take It to the Limit." The DJs would say his name when introducing the record, like "Randy Meisner with the Eagles" along those lines. Didn't know what he looked like til MTV though. :) Some of my older siblings had the "One of These Nights" and "Hotel California" albums, but I didn't know which member was who.

Wow, I had no idea Randy ever got a special mention. That's so cool. I don't remember DJs ever doing that with other songs, not even "this is Hotel California by Don Henley with the Eagles."

NightMistBlue
09-19-2017, 02:24 PM
I assumed they made special mention of Randy because he was an unfamiliar voice, if people only knew the Eagles' hit songs. It was always either Don or Glenn.

Delilah
10-29-2017, 07:09 PM
Today in 1969, Rick Nelson and the Stone Canyon Band began recording their live performances at the Troubadour. They would record over a five-night period, according to his biography, Rick Nelson, Rock-n-Roll Pioneer. The resulting album, Rick Nelson in Concert, released in January 1970, would go on to achieve critical acclaim. In particular, Rolling Stone Magazine praised Rick’s interpretation of Dylan’s “She Belongs to Me” which became a top 40 hit for Rick and the band.

According to musician John Beland, Glenn was present at least one of these nights watching the band perform during the recording.

East Texas Girl
10-30-2017, 02:07 PM
Good to know, thanks Delilah.

New Kid In Town
10-30-2017, 05:43 PM
How cool would it have been to sit at the Troub at hear a whole week of Rick and Randy ? I know Glenn talked about how much this show influenced him.
Thank You Delilah.

NightMistBlue
10-30-2017, 06:46 PM
Ooh, how neat. Thank you, Delilah!

Delilah
10-30-2017, 07:25 PM
You’re welcome, ya’ll.

How cool would it have been to sit at the Troub at hear a whole week of Rick and Randy ? I know Glenn talked about how much this show influenced him.
Thank You Delilah.

Oh that would have been so cool! I wonder if any of Glenn’s applause is on the recording?

I think it’s really neat that Glenn watched Randy perform with both Poco and Rick Nelson at the Troubadour. Yet it seems Glenn would cite Poco’s influence quite often but not Rick’s. I’m glad to hear Glenn did acknowledge Rick too, b/c Rick and the SCB were also pioneers in country rock. (I realize Glenn probably needed a way to explain how 2 Poco bass players ended up in the Eagles so that’s why he talked about Poco so much)

Delilah
12-05-2017, 04:20 PM
Today in 1980, NBC-TV airs the Midnight Special with Randy’s performance of Hearts on Fire. He also sings Deep Inside My Heart with Kim Carnes.

Sad to say I missed it. :cry: Let’s hope that the folks at Time-Life release more concert dvds from this show and that Randy’s segment will be included! :pray:

NightMistBlue
12-05-2017, 04:50 PM
Thank you, D., I'm not able to access the Randy Meisner Concert Chronology anymore. I thought the date was December 8th.

Anyhoo, and this is just speculation on my part, I think the "videos" widely available on the Internet of Randy performing HOF and the duet with Kim C. are from the Midnight Special. They're not live performances in front of an audience obviously, but they are taped performances, not lip-synched to the album recording unless I'm very much mistaken.

Delilah
12-05-2017, 05:52 PM
Could be, NMB, could be.

Episode 12 hosted by REO Speedwagon
http://www.tv.com/shows/the-midnight-special/episodes/

According to this link, Randy also performed Gotta Get Away and Trouble Ahead.

NightMistBlue
12-05-2017, 06:13 PM
[wails] ahhhh - we need to get this show! Who can we write to/email?

Dawn
01-22-2018, 01:35 PM
January 22, 1990 The Tonight Show with Jay Leno

Back to the future .... where it all began.

"Nothing to Hide" - Randy singing lead with Poco. So awesome!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NAO5Nk...ature=youtu.be

sodascouts
01-22-2018, 10:15 PM
I really like that song.

East Texas Girl
01-23-2018, 02:30 PM
Love it, Dawn, thanks for sharing!

Delilah
02-21-2018, 11:45 AM
Today in 1981, Randy and the Silverados opened for The Beach Boys in Biloxi, MS. The venue was the Mississippi Coast Coliseum.

https://s9.postimg.org/fp2wckblr/12200_D2_E-8572-4_FDF-_A15_A-_FCA5082_F8870.jpg
photo courtesy of the Randy Meisner Concert Chronology

YoungEaglesFan
02-21-2018, 02:48 PM
Wow that’s pretty cool! As an eagles fan I’d probably be more excited to see Randy but having The Beach Boys too would have been a great concert

NightMistBlue
02-21-2018, 03:09 PM
Thank you, D! Good lord, Brian was with them too. I bet Randy is a Beach Boys fan, don't you think? Any appreciator of vocal harmony would have to be (perhaps I presume too much).

East Texas Girl
02-21-2018, 03:18 PM
That is cool, thanks Delilah! The eighties seems like yesterday and should not be 30+ years ago....ugh I'm old. :depressed:

NightMistBlue
02-22-2018, 12:10 PM
OT: The 90's being so long ago freaks me out. I came across a Nirvana concert on VHS (I know, I know...) that *feels* like I taped it and put it away not so very long ago, but... ohhh myyy. One by one, we are all becoming shades, to paraphrase James Joyce.

Delilah
02-22-2018, 12:21 PM
Thank you, D! Good lord, Brian was with them too. I bet Randy is a Beach Boys fan, don't you think? Any appreciator of vocal harmony would have to be (perhaps I presume too much).

I agree Randy is probably a fan, although I can’t think of any instance where he mentioned them. My guess is he got to know them at least from this tour.

Don H seems to have been a fan, though I don’t think Brian quite reciprocated.

But the approval that all musicians ultimately crave evades them. Darian Sahanaja – a sideman with Brian Wilson, unarguably the founding father of Californian rock – recently gave an illuminating anecdote to the Colorado Springs Independent. Sahanaja and Wilson were in their dressing room at a fundraiser in New York when Henley and latter-day Eagle Timothy B Schmidt walked in.

“Don was kind of aloof and walking around the room,” said Sahanaja. “And finally, after a few minutes of chatting, Don pulls out a copy of Pet Sounds on CD that he wants Brian to sign. So Brian grabs it and he signs: ‘To Don, thanks for all the great music’. And he’s handing it back to Don, but before Don can take it he grabs it back he crosses out ‘great’ and puts ‘good music’. The thing is, there’s no irony there. He’s not being funny, he’s really thinking: ‘I wrote “great”, but I don’t think it’s great. But it’s good. It’s good music.’ And he handed it back to Don. And it was perfect.”

”Eagles: Heroes or Villains of Rock?” teamrock.com, Oct. 6, 2015 (http://teamrock.com/feature/2015-10-06/eagles-the-heroes-or-villains-of-70s-rock)

NightMistBlue
02-22-2018, 03:45 PM
That strange incident is also recounted in Brian's most recent autobiography. I wrote about it in the "Eagles books" thread. Brian has an off-beat sense of humor but I wasn't entirely sure if he was joking. He reported that Don H laughed when he did that, so... who knows.

He spoke warmly about music of the 70s that he enjoyed, particularly mentioning the Eagles, Fleetwood Mac and America. Mr. Wilson and I would get along great. At least we wouldn't fight about what radio station to listen to.

D., did you watch the video that was recently posted in the Tim Schmit forum of the "Caroline, No" recording? Brian was clearly very, very impressed with Timothy's singing.

shunlvswx
02-23-2018, 05:43 PM
Today in 1981, Randy and the Silverados opened for The Beach Boys in Biloxi, MS. The venue was the Mississippi Coast Coliseum.

https://s9.postimg.org/fp2wckblr/12200_D2_E-8572-4_FDF-_A15_A-_FCA5082_F8870.jpg
photo courtesy of the Randy Meisner Concert Chronology

Good ole Biloxi. I had just turned 1 when they were on the coast. The Beach Boys have came to Mississippi. I think they were just here last year.

Delilah
02-24-2018, 01:04 PM
That strange incident is also recounted in Brian's most recent autobiography. I wrote about it in the "Eagles books" thread. Brian has an off-beat sense of humor but I wasn't entirely sure if he was joking. He reported that Don H laughed when he did that, so... who knows.

He spoke warmly about music of the 70s that he enjoyed, particularly mentioning the Eagles, Fleetwood Mac and America. Mr. Wilson and I would get along great. At least we wouldn't fight about what radio station to listen to.

D., did you watch the video that was recently posted in the Tim Schmit forum of the "Caroline, No" recording? Brian was clearly very, very impressed with Timothy's singing.

No, I haven’t seen that one. I’ll have to check it out as well as your comments in the Eagles Books thread. Thanks.

Delilah
04-06-2018, 10:25 AM
**April 6, 2008**

Ten years ago today, Randy performed with the World Classic Rockers in Naples, FL. To the best of my knowledge, this was his last public performance. :sigh::cry:

There was a brief news item about it:

Naples Music Festival was a success
Several famous rock musicians from the 70’s and 80’s participated in a benefit concert, which took place on 3rd Street South at the beginning of April. The money and donations will be used to expand the “Garden of Hope and Courage” a park that was opened in 2006 for meditations. The concert was about 6 hours long and included performances by former members of Santana, Eagles, Toto, Steppenwolf and Boston. The regular tickets were $40 each, while the VIP-Ticket, which included a free visit to the restaurants, was $350 each.
http://www.michaelnaples.com/Naples-News-Archive/Naplesnews-May-2008.pdf

This review of sorts mentions Randy by name and includes a photo of the band on stage, though Randy isn’t shown.

Moving stages. Moving bodies. Moving songs.

Baby-boomers turned out in large numbers Sunday afternoon and evening to hear a little nostalgic music in the streets of downtown Naples.

Hear they did: the music was practically audible from the beach.

And, with strong breezes blowing, the scents in the air also were recognizable: suntan lotion and jasmine.

In addition to Puckett, who formed with the Union Gap band in 1967, performers scheduled to appear were: Gin Blossoms ("Til I Hear It From You,") Rembrandts ("I'll Be There for You," the theme from the TV show "Friends"); Powerhouse; Aynsley Dunbar from Journey; Randall Hall from Lynyrd Skynyrd; Fergie Frederiksen from Toto; Alex Ligertwood from Santana; Nick St. Nicholas and Michael Monarch from Steppenwolf; Barry Goudreau from Boston; and Randy Meisner from The Eagles.

”Downtown Naples musical festival takes concert-goers down memory lane” by I.M. Stackel, Naples Daily News, April 6, 2008 (http://archive.naplesnews.com/lifestyle/family/downtown-naples-musical-festival-takes-concert-goers-down-memory-lane-ep-402000769-335110221.html)

My My
04-06-2018, 10:47 AM
Thanks, Delilah. Quite a time span represented, the 60's through the 90's. Sounds like mixed reviews from shop owners and citizens on having streets blocked off. And had to laugh about the 26 year old who didn't recognize a lot of the songs, but seemed to enjoy it.

East Texas Girl
04-06-2018, 12:58 PM
Wow, so sad that is has been 10 years...I'm still holding out hope that he is getting stronger everyday and will be able to do something in music that we will see one day! You go Randy!!

NightMistBlue
04-06-2018, 04:34 PM
A poignant anniversary, and how ironic that it's the same date as the famous 1974 California Jam concert.

Delilah
10-24-2018, 01:15 PM
Today in 1968, Randy performed with RFD (Richie Furay’s Dream) at the Troubadour. It was the band’s first appearance playing a full set* on a regular night, Thursday, and before they were known as “Poco.” They had previously performed at The Troubadour on Hoot Night.

According to Poco’s Angelfire page, this was the setlist:

What a Day
Just in Case It Happens, Yes Indeed
Short Changed

This is what Rusty Young remembers about those early days:

Q - Poco made its debut in November, 1968 at The Troubadour in L.A. At that time, who might've been in the audience watching the group?

A - Those were pretty interesting days because we had the buzz in town. Everybody wanted to come see us. Richie had really come up with the concept of the Country / Rock thing that wasn't being done. Everybody was ready to jump on the bandwagon. In The Troubadour there'd be a booth and there would be Ricky Nelson and Ozzie and Harriet. The whole gang would be there in their booth. The Smothers Brothers came down. George Harrison and (John) Lennon came down because they tried to sign us to Apple at one point. Pretty much all the L.A. people you can imagine would be in the audience on any given night.

Q - Was that nerve wrecking for you?

A - It was a lot of fun. It was great. Richie carried the band and I didn't feel any pressure at all because it was Richie's deal. So, I was just there for the fun.

George and John tried to sign them??

http://www.classicbands.com/PocoInterview.htm (http://www.classicbands.com/PocoInterview.html)

*per Poco’s Angelfire page

Brooke
10-24-2018, 01:25 PM
Wow! Had they signed with Apple, they might have really made it big! Makes you wonder!

Delilah
10-24-2018, 01:58 PM
Wow! Had they signed with Apple, they might have really made it big! Makes you wonder!

I know, right? My guess is the money wasn’t enough so they passed.

Dawn
10-24-2018, 07:31 PM
Love that the Nelson family was there ... its fun to watch Rick Nelson as a teenager performing on The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet (YouTube). His dad Ozzie really knew what he doing featuring Ricky singing his hit songs on the show ... Lonesome Town in particular. Rick had a great backup band even then. Sure wish he was still with us. Amazing very under appreciated singer, songwriter, guitarist. His adorable x-wife Kris Nelson recently passed away. She was very popular on the show as well.

sodascouts
10-25-2018, 01:40 AM
So interesting!

NightMistBlue
10-25-2018, 08:17 PM
Thanks, Delilah! Good to see you On The Border again, missy! 😎

New Kid In Town
10-26-2018, 10:24 AM

Wow, interesting. I never knew that. Such a shame they never signed with Apple. What a difference it probably would have made for them. Especially since they never made big money in the long run. Of course they could not have known that then.
Was it poor management ?

NightMistBlue
10-26-2018, 12:03 PM
Maybe we could ask Rusty, he seems to make himself accessible to the fans. Heck, maybe we'll even get to read his long-promised autobiography soon!

I'm not so sure that signing to Apple would have been the best thing for the band. It didn't seem to do much for James Taylor or Jackie Lomax.

Being an uptight nerdy sort, I would like to point out that there's a slight time discrepancy between the Poco Angelfire page saying Pogo's debut at the Troub was in October and Rusty saying November. Also, in Richie Furay's autobiography he said he was aware that people thought RFD stood for Richie Furay's Dream, but it was really just an homage to the "Mayberry RFD" tv show.
Going to take my medication now... :ziplip:

Delilah
10-26-2018, 02:06 PM
Thanks, Delilah! Good to see you On The Border again, missy! 😎
Thank you, NMB! :wave::-)

Being an uptight nerdy sort, I would like to point out that there's a slight time discrepancy between the Poco Angelfire page saying Pogo's debut at the Troub was in October and Rusty saying November. Also, in Richie Furay's autobiography he said he was aware that people thought RFD stood for Richie Furay's Dream, but it was really just an homage to the "Mayberry RFD" tv show.
Going to take my medication now... :ziplip:

As a fellow uptight nerdy sort, I noticed that too. Maybe the November date refers to the first time they were established as “Poco”? Before then they had different names. I didn’t know that about RFD!

My My
10-27-2018, 09:55 AM
I found an LA Times article from November 22, 1968 that references their appearance at the Troubadour. They weren't billed as RFD, but as Pogo. They were scheduled to appear from November 22 through December 1. The writer of the article, Pete Johnson, states "... the singing combination of Furay and Meisner is terrific. Both have high, flexible voices which melt together in delightful harmonies and separate for strong solos." He also says, "The show is, in fact, one of the best I've seen this year." High praise from someone who probably saw many, many acts there! Welcome back, Delilah!

East Texas Girl
10-29-2018, 01:32 PM
Thanks for that tidbit, My My, that's just wonderful to read.

NightMistBlue
10-29-2018, 02:38 PM
Sweet Randy was only 22. That must have been terrific for a small-town boy to read such glowing praise about himself in the Los Angeles Times.

NightMistBlue
12-03-2018, 07:18 PM
Well, I’m a day late (and a dollar short) but Jack Tempchin remembered: on Dec 2, 1982 Randy’s “Live in Dallas” was recorded. I love how Jack is so appreciative of Randy’s work.

Susie R
12-03-2018, 08:42 PM
Sweet Randy was only 22. That must have been terrific for a small-town boy to read such glowing praise about himself in the Los Angeles Times.

Yes I'm sure it was a proud moment for him! I sure would have loved to see that Troubadour appearance.... Perfect description of their voices from the writer of that article too. I love listening to pre Eagles groups Randy was in. There's lots of it on YouTube - especially with Rick Nelson & the Stone Canyon band...that's good stuff :)

The date of that article - November 22, 1968 - I was 8 days old lol.

Delilah
02-05-2019, 02:27 PM
Today in 1981, Randy and the Silverados appeared in one of their first non-televised concerts at the Golden Bear in Huntington Beach, CA.

Here’s a picture of the restaurant/club, courtesy of the Orange County Archives.

https://i.postimg.cc/HL3xbCFY/97-E9-CC60-9240-47-E6-BB5-C-0766-E48644-BA-zpsncdai6pu.jpg

The Golden Bear closed down in 1986; there’s a retail center in its place now.

NightMistBlue
02-05-2019, 03:45 PM
Thank you, Delilah!

May I ask what image hosting service you're using? I still haven't settled on one.

Delilah
02-05-2019, 04:50 PM
Hi NMB. It’s funny you ask b/c I was having a bit of trouble posting the pic. I’ve been using Photobucket but the picture ended up being too big, and PB is very cumbersome when it comes to re-sizing (at least for me). So I went to postimage.org, b/c there I can re-size pics very easily. But something must have happened since I last used it, b/c it wouldn’t access my photo library. I had to upload from PB to Postimage instead.

Anyway, I guess I use both. Hope that helps.

P.S. I’ve used Imgur before too, but ever since I downloaded the app, I’ve had problems uploading pics.

shunlvswx
03-07-2019, 08:40 AM
Yesterday was the 3rd Anniversary of Randy’s losing his wife. I hope he’s doing better these days. It is nice to see him out and about.

NightMistBlue
03-07-2019, 10:11 AM
I hope he's doing well. And tomorrow as you know is his 73rd birthday.

Heck, let's start it off: Happy Birthday, Randy!!!

LuvTim
03-08-2019, 01:00 AM
Ok, I will jump onboard one day early, too: ​Happy Birthday, Randy! 🎂 😀

Glennsallnighter
03-08-2019, 08:41 AM
Happy Birthday to the man who made Take it to the Limit his own. Heres to your good health, and continues success and happiness

CAinOH
03-08-2019, 09:09 AM
Happy birthday, Randy!

Brooke
03-08-2019, 03:08 PM
Happy birthday to Randy Meisner! :birthday:

Wishing him health and happiness for another year! And thanks for that beautiful song, Take It To the Limit! No one can sing it like him! :smile:

Delilah
03-15-2019, 12:37 AM
This week in 1981, Randy’s single from his One More Song album, “Hearts on Fire” peaked at #19 on the Billboard Top 100 singles chart. It spent a total of 15 weeks on the chart.

Here is the complete top 20 that week, all in all some really great songs w/ just a couple of so-so tracks:

1. 9 to 5 - Dolly Parton
2. Keep on Loving You - REO Speedwagon
3. Woman - John Lennon
4. The Best of Times - Styx
5. I Love a Rainy Night - Eddie Rabbitt
6. Crying - Don McLean
7. Rapture - Blondie
8. The Winner Takes It All - ABBA
9. Hello Again - Neil Diamond
10. Celebration - Kool & The Gang
11. I Ain’t Gonna Stand for It - Stevie Wonder
12. What Kind of Fool - Barbra Streisand and Barry Gibb