PDA

View Full Version : Tour quandary

Witchy Woman
10-12-2017, 03:05 PM
I haven't been coming here as much as I used to, because I have been unhappy due to the pettiness and snark of folks who bash those of us who don't support the current version of The Eagles. This brings up an issue I thought I wouldn't have to face, but now I do. There's no question Hotel California is my all time favorite Eagles album, and one of my favorite albums ever. What if they tour to support the 40th anniversary release of the deluxe addition, and play the entire album ? With the exception of 3 songs, the album is all Don. Joe is certainly around to sing PMAIAR, and I'm sure Vince or Tim could sing TALA, and Deacon NKIT. My issue is although I'm against the current incarnation of The Eagles I would be sad to miss something like this. Do I put my feelings aside to participate in something I know I would enjoy, or continue to be adamant, and miss out on something awesome ? I know it's ultimately up to me and what's in my heart, and that people set aside their differences all the time, but it's still tough for me.

New Kid In Town
10-12-2017, 03:16 PM
WW - I understand how you feel, especially since Glenn is gone and Randy is apparently unable to perform anymore. I know Tim has always said in the past he would never do any Randy songs so I guess that would leave Vince to sing TALA. Deacon would of course do NKIT. I know that they had planned to do a tour marking the 40th Anniversary before Glenn go sick. It's JMHO, but it is really not the same without Glenn and Randy even though they only sang one song each. JMHO, but it's kind of hard to honor the anniversary when two of the five members are missing.
I guess that is something you will have to decide - I feel I could not tell you what to do as it is such a personal thing. Whatever you choose feel at peace with your decision. Be prepared for the tickets to cost a fortune.

sodascouts
10-12-2017, 03:20 PM
Follow your heart and do what would make you happiest.

As for me....

1) I want my last Eagles show to be the true Eagles.

2) I will never give this group my money and reward them for continuing without Glenn.

3) Being in the room as Vince Gill sings "They will never forget you 'til somebody new comes along" would be so painfully in evidence all around me that I wouldn't be able to stomach it. (And Vince has been singing it, not Deacon - I'm not sure what Deacon's role would be on such a tour. NKIT is difficult to sing and goes pretty high. They can't just hand it to Deacon because he's Glenn's son, no matter how much people want him to be Glenn.)

4) Vince or Tim singing Try and Love Again would be a joke too, frankly. They would essentially be cover versions with the other guys backing.

5) I've heard every other HC song performed before - and performed better, with the real Eagles. I wouldn't be hearing the Eagles do HC. I'd be hearing Don do HC with Tim, Joe, Vince, Deacon, etc. It wouldn't sound the same. It would be inferior.

6) Related to the above... only TWO of the five people who recorded Hotel California are there. In terms of those songs, that's pretty weak sauce.

For me, the choice is easy: there's no song they can play that will make me want to see these people perform under the moniker "Eagles".

YoungEaglesFan
10-12-2017, 03:47 PM
I don't see the harm in going personally. They will tour with or without you. But you do have a say if you want to go see them. I would find that tour to be worthwhile and I'd say if you get the chance it would be better to go then to not and later regret it. But it's up to you how feel about the current lineup in my opinion

BillBailey1976
10-12-2017, 03:47 PM
I'm not sure what Deacon's role would be on such a tour. .

Do you think that if they did this, they'd only do the songs from HC and nothing else? I would hope they wouldn't do that. 9 songs is not much of a concert.

sodascouts
10-12-2017, 03:51 PM
Do you think that if they did this, they'd only do the songs from HC and nothing else? I would hope they wouldn't do that. 9 songs is not much of a concert.

That was the plan when Glenn was alive. He spoke of only doing the album. However, he probably was also thinking of lightening the burden of performing. It's a valid point that they might not choose to go that route now.

My My
10-12-2017, 05:53 PM
WW, sorry that you are having such a hard time. I know that you are angry about the group continuing without Glenn. I find it interesting though that you state that you would be "sad to miss something like this". You also ask if you should "participate in something I know I would enjoy." You also said "miss out on something awesome." Like Soda said though, follow your heart. But listen a little to what it is saying. Just a thought...

thelastresort
10-12-2017, 05:56 PM
I would expect them to only do 'best of' shows in their current guise at this moment in time - imagine the backlash they would have got for daring a Hotel California celebration without Felder, let alone without Glenn, and, as pointed out, now only 40% of the lineup from that era. I honestly think there's too much risk involved in trying to get away with it, especially if they literally play just the album.

I have seen everything live from the HC album that I want to already - HC, LITFL, NKIT and PMRAIAR courtesy of the History tour, and my adored TLR courtesy of Don's Cass County tour; so I probably won't bother even if they do. My feelings on the post-Glenn activities I think are well-known.