PDA

View Full Version : Eagles at Grand Ole Opry October 29,2017

MaryCalifornia
10-30-2017, 12:11 AM
My review of the three songs and commentary on SiriusXM:

1) Take it to The Limit - Don gave a nice introduction to Vince. Noted that he won more Grammys than any other male country artist (22?) and 17 CMA awards.

Hearing this song on Sirius reminds me why we should never judge anything by what we hear on iPhone recordings on YouTube from the audience at Eagles shows in arenas. Hearing the proper feed makes such a huge difference. The song sounds so lush, so beautiful, his voice and the way he sings the song are fantastic. It is not like Randy, nothing ever will be. But if you can try to not compare and just enjoy what Vince has to give, it is really, really lovely. Timothy's bass was turned up higher than usual so that is cool for his fans.

2) In the City - This version of the song gives a master class in high harmony backing vocals. I'm pretty much going to leave it at that haha. Actually, Joe sounds really fab at some points and really not good at others. It was good.

3) I Can't Tell You Why - Timothy told the audience they are really well-behaved haha. His voice sounds good, it's a hard song to sing. Frankly surprised that anyone at his age can still sing it. The bass turned up high in the mix again, very cool.

When Vince sings backup on this, it really elevates the soul/RnB level, which I noticed. I think he does it on purpose, he is not blending with Don. I thought it sounded like something Barry White would sing, but after the song, the DJs said it sounded like Marvin Gaye or George Benson. Vince's vocal adds something. The guitar solo got loud applause half-way through - very cool. The Nashville fans know their music, and hopefully they all know that Glenn played it on the album.

Looking forward to the Hotel California channel starting at Thanksgiving and hearing the entire show. Definitely sounded like the guys were enjoying it!

shunlvswx
10-30-2017, 09:20 AM
Here are some pictures from last night. I'm going to post a few pictures and also the link from gettyimages because their are a lot of good pictures from the concert and the red carpet.

Here are the links. The pictures from last night stop at page 5.
http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/photos/grand-ole-opry?excludenudity=true&family=editorial&phrase=grand%20ole%20opry&sort=best#license
http://www.gettyimages.com/photos/grand-ole-opry?editorialproducts=entertainment&excludenudity=true&family=editorial&phrase=Grand%20ole%20opry&sort=best#license

A lot of country stars were there. The only ones I recognize were The Oak Ridge Boys, Reba, Brooks and Dunn, Kid Rock, Charles Estein, Gary Allan, Amy Grant and her daughter with Vince, Corrina, Sara Evans, and Big and Rich.

This is my favorite picture. Don and Deacon hugging.
http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/don-henley-and-deacon-frey-of-the-eagles-perform-during-siriusxm-the-picture-id868010030

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/eagles-timothy-b-schmit-vince-gill-don-henley-decon-frey-and-joe-picture-id868007330

Aww. Marjorie, Timothy, Sheryl, Deacon and Taylor
http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/marjorie-bach-timothy-b-schmit-sheryl-crow-deacon-frey-and-taylor-picture-id867983580

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/timothy-b-schmit-sheryl-crow-and-deacon-frey-attend-siriusxm-presents-picture-id867981364

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/vince-gill-sheryl-crow-and-timothy-b-schmit-attend-siriusxm-presents-picture-id867981330

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/exterior-of-the-grand-ole-opry-house-during-siriusxm-presents-the-in-picture-id867970588

shunlvswx
10-30-2017, 09:21 AM
My review of the three songs and commentary on SiriusXM:

1) Take it to The Limit - Don gave a nice introduction to Vince. Noted that he won more Grammys than any other male country artist (22?) and 17 CMA awards.

Hearing this song on Sirius reminds me why we should never judge anything by what we hear on iPhone recordings on YouTube from the audience at Eagles shows in arenas. Hearing the proper feed makes such a huge difference. The song sounds so lush, so beautiful, his voice and the way he sings the song are fantastic. It is not like Randy, nothing ever will be. But if you can try to not compare and just enjoy what Vince has to give, it is really, really lovely. Timothy's bass was turned up higher than usual so that is cool for his fans.

2) In the City - This version of the song gives a master class in high harmony backing vocals. I'm pretty much going to leave it at that haha. Actually, Joe sounds really fab at some points and really not good at others. It was good.

3) I Can't Tell You Why - Timothy told the audience they are really well-behaved haha. His voice sounds good, it's a hard song to sing. Frankly surprised that anyone at his age can still sing it. The bass turned up high in the mix again, very cool.

When Vince sings backup on this, it really elevates the soul/RnB level, which I noticed. I think he does it on purpose, he is not blending with Don. I thought it sounded like something Barry White would sing, but after the song, the DJs said it sounded like Marvin Gaye or George Benson. Vince's vocal adds something. The guitar solo got loud applause half-way through - very cool. The Nashville fans know their music, and hopefully they all know that Glenn played it on the album.

Looking forward to the Hotel California channel starting at Thanksgiving and hearing the entire show. Definitely sounded like the guys were enjoying it!

MC. They also played Life In The Fast Lane. So they gave us 4 songs instead of 3. I was almost afraid they wouldn't play a song by Don, but they did.

It sounded great. I can't wait to listen to it next month. Yeah. Joe was a little rough in some parts of IN The City, but still sounded good.

I was trying pick out Don and Vince on the chorus of I Can't Tell You Why. I thought the opposite. They both blended very well on this song. I couldn't really tell Don and Vince vocals apart which is good. You don't suppose to tell their vocals apart when they're harmonizing. I thought it was Vince who was doing the high part harmony on the chorus, but after listen to this instead of videos, it was still Timothy. Now you can hear Vince when they all are harmonizing together. I do hear Vince.

My My
10-30-2017, 09:39 AM
Thanks for the pictures, Shun. Really nice! Thanks too for the review Mary.

shunlvswx
10-30-2017, 10:01 AM
Here's a very brief video from the news. I like what the Oak Ridge Boys said about the Eagles. I didn't know they were a fan of their music. I see why they are my favorite country group.

http://www.newschannel5.com/news/eagles-perform-at-grand-ole-opry-for-1st-time

UndertheWire
10-30-2017, 10:16 AM
Thank you all for the links, reviews and pictures. Of course, I don't know who any of these people are, apart from the guy from the tv show.

buffyfan145
10-30-2017, 10:49 AM
Thanks everyone for all the pics and info about it!!! :D I'm a huge country music fan so it's awesome seeing all of them together and hearing again how the Eagles have influenced those artists so much. Hopefully when we get the free preview next month I'll get to hear it.

Also, Joe posted a pic of him and Sheryl on Twitter too.

shunlvswx
10-30-2017, 12:24 PM
Here's a picture of the guys with the president of SiriusXM.
http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/the-eagles-joe-walsh-vince-gill-president-chief-content-officer-of-picture-id868157482

Brooke
10-30-2017, 12:24 PM
Shun, thanks for the links and pics of this! And MaryC for your review of the songs! Much appreciated! Have to say I don't care for Joe and Tim's facial hair! I just think gray facial hair ages you and Joe's is so much darker than his bleached blonde mane.

I accidently heard TITTL Saturday on Classic Vinyl as we were driving in the car and knew it was Vince singing. They said it was recorded from one of the Classic shows and then more about the new channel coming up in November. I thought he did great on it. Hopefully, I will get a chance to hear the others soon.

chaim
10-30-2017, 12:34 PM
I've never thought about his height before, but Deacon seems to be a lot taller than his father. Taller than Don and even Joe - not that they are giants though. Is Deacon six foot one or something?

MaryCalifornia
10-30-2017, 12:36 PM
MC. They also played Life In The Fast Lane. So they gave us 4 songs instead of 3. I was almost afraid they wouldn't play a song by Don, but they did.

Gah, I'm an idiot! I was listening to it sitting in my car in the driveway, and the Dodgers were in the world series on TV inside! The 3rd song ended at precisely 8:30 so I thought it would be the end and hustled myself back inside.

MaryCalifornia
10-30-2017, 12:43 PM
I've never thought about his height before, but Deacon seems to be a lot taller than his father. Taller than Don and even Joe - not that they are giants though. Is Deacon six foot one or something?

It's weird because in the photo with Taylor he looks SO much taller than everyone else, but in the photo with the guys from Sirius, where you can see everyone's shoes and they're all standing pretty much in a line, not so much. Not so much in the photos from stage, either. He's definitely taller, but is he 3-"4' taller or 6" taller?

Google tells me that Vice Gill is 6'3". That's like Josh Homme from Queens of the Stone Age - we don't often see them that big up front, singing and playing guitar! So, I'm going with 6'0" or 6'1" for Deacon.

Also, I think Don has some 2" stacked heels on.

New Kid In Town
10-30-2017, 12:51 PM
Shun - Thanks for the links - can I listen even though I don't have Sirius ?
Mary C. Thanks for the great review.

Deacon is 6'2' tall - taller than everyone except Vince. He is much taller than Glenn, who was only 5'9''. Taylor looks so cute in the picture with Deacon.

shunlvswx
10-30-2017, 12:52 PM
Vince is about 6'2 or 6'3. So Deacon has to be about 6'1 or 6'2 since he's not that far in height with Vince.

I had wonder where his tallness came from since Glenn was 5'9. Timothy looks so weird standing next to Vince.

New Kid In Town
10-30-2017, 01:01 PM
Anyone know how tall Cindy and Taylor are ?
Have to say I don't care for Tim's or Joe's facial hair. I'm not big on beards or mustaches except for a certain guy. Even then, I liked him better clean shaven.;)

chaim
10-30-2017, 01:03 PM
Anyone know how tall Cindy and Taylor are ?
Have to say I don't care for Tim's or Joe's facial hair. I'm not big on beards or mustaches except for a certain guy. Even then, I liked him better clean shaven.;)

I have to say I like Timothy's grey beard. However, Joe's mustache...

shunlvswx
10-30-2017, 01:25 PM
Looking at the pictures, it looks like Timothy, Deacon and Vince are kinda leaning while Don and Joe are standing straight. So that's probably why Deacon looks a little shorter. He was standing tall in the picture with his sister, Sheryl, Timothy and Marjorie. I think I've seen a picture of Deacon and Vince by each other and Deacon is maybe an inch or two shorter than Vince.

shunlvswx
10-30-2017, 02:07 PM
A few articles from last night.
http://www.rollingstone.com/country/live-reviews/eagles-vince-gill-thrill-at-hits-heavy-nashville-concert-w510477

http://www.wideopencountry.com/eagles-opry-nashville/

I want to highlight the Oak Ridge Boys because they are my other favorite group. I just saw them in concert 3 weeks ago at my state fair. I'm going to tweet the Oaks and thank them for their nice compliments to the Eagles.

“Any group that has sung harmony has to admire the Eagles,” Duane Allen of the Oak Ridge Boys said. “They pick great songs, and the harmonies they put in their music are top level, all the way.”

http://www.tennessean.com/story/entertainment/music/2017/10/30/eagles-play-nashvilles-grand-ole-opry-vince-gill/808394001/

Delilah
10-30-2017, 02:16 PM
Thanks for the review, pics and links. I didn’t think they would play a whole setlist but they apparently did. Lucky attendees!

They both blended very well on this song. I couldn't really tell Don and Vince vocals apart which is good. You don't suppose to tell their vocals apart when they're harmonizing. I thought it was Vince who was doing the high part harmony on the chorus, but after listen to this instead of videos, it was still Timothy. Now you can hear Vince when they all are harmonizing together. I do hear Vince.

I think that depends on the harmony arrangement. You brought up the Oak Ridge Boys and I can often hear the bass singer (Richard?) and they’re some of the best harmonizers around.

Vince is about 6'2 or 6'3. So Deacon has to be about 6'1 or 6'2 since he's not that far in height with Vince.

I had wonder where his tallness came from since Glenn was 5'9. Timothy looks so weird standing next to Vince.

Often times children will be taller than their parents due to better nutrition, prenatal care, etc. although of course genetics plays a role.

MaryCalifornia
10-30-2017, 02:23 PM
Taylor looks so cute in the picture with Deacon.

Taylor is absolutely glowing. She is beautiful and looks so happy. I'll bet she and her mom are thrilled that she seems to be officially on the road with the guys. The only reason I think she is "with them" is that before this show, Shun or someone else mentioned that she was on the road with her brother. And her mom was at the show in Detroit with Glenn's relatives. I wonder if these shows make them feel closer to Glenn? Maybe...

shunlvswx
10-30-2017, 02:28 PM
I saw a picture of Cindy and she's with them. I guess somebody is taking care of Otis, but than again. He is 15.

shunlvswx
10-30-2017, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the review, pics and links. I didn’t think they would play a whole setlist but they apparently did. Lucky attendees!

I think that depends on the harmony arrangement. You brought up the Oak Ridge Boys and I can often hear the bass singer (Richard?) and they’re some of the best harmonizers around.

Often times children will be taller than their parents due to better nutrition, prenatal care, etc. although of course genetics plays a role.

True. It definitely depends on the harmony arrangement. Yes. You definitely can hear Richard on a lot of their songs. I think with The Oaks, they are usually a band who actually only sings 4 part harmony compare to the Eagles having 4 or 5 harmonies. They have their tenor, bass, baritone and most of the time the lead singer is can sing any part. The Oaks were gospel group first and they kept the 4 part harmony when they crossed over to country. Not that many in country music. Actually it really wasn't that big back in the day.

Most of the time, that fifth person is singing under one of the other people. When you hear them in concert, you are going to mostly hear Joe and Richard sticking out because Joe is the high tenor like Vince and Timothy. So his vocal will always stick out more just like Timothy since he's the top of the harmony.

Dawn
10-30-2017, 03:06 PM
Setlist Grand Old Opry

"Seven Bridges Road"
"Take It Easy"
"One of These Nights"
"Take It to the Limit"
"Tequila Sunrise"
"Witchy Woman"
"In the City"
"I Can't Tell You Why"
"Peaceful Easy Feeling"
"Best of My Love"
"Lyin' Eyes"
"Love Will Keep Us Alive"
"New Kid in Town"
"Those Shoes"
"Already Gone"
"Walk Away"
"Heartache Tonight"
"Life's Been Good"
"Funk #49"
"Life in the Fast Lane"
"Hotel California"
"Rocky Mountain Way"
"Desperado"

thelastresort
10-30-2017, 03:14 PM
I do find the choice to go for an identical setlist surprising; given the Grand Ole Opry is synonymous to country music I would have thought they would try to revive some of the earlier or laid back work: Doolin-Dalton, Ol' 55 or How Long for example. The likes of Those Shoes or Walk Away seem a tad misplaced!

FreyFollower
10-30-2017, 03:29 PM
I got the feeling that this show came together very quickly, and they have been on the road. Maybe they felt like there wasn't sufficient time to work up some different material for a broadcast.

tbsfan
10-30-2017, 03:45 PM
I do find the choice to go for an identical setlist surprising; given the Grand Ole Opry is synonymous to country music I would have thought they would try to revive some of the earlier or laid back work: Doolin-Dalton, Ol' 55 or How Long for example. The likes of Those Shoes or Walk Away seem a tad misplaced!

They didn’t play at the Grand Ole Opry, they played at the Grand Ole Opry House, which, while it is the home of the Grand Ole Opry, is a concert venue like any other concert venue. I’ve been to many shows there and most of them were not country. I even saw a Jay Leno show there once.

buffyfan145
10-30-2017, 05:01 PM
They don't have to stick with a country theme, or traditional country theme since modern country is a mix of so many genres. I could see that more if it was at the original Ryman auditorium.

About Deacon's height knowing from studying genetics it skips generations sometimes so he probably got his height from a grandfather. Same thing happened to my Dad as he's 5'11" and my Grandpa is 5'6", but they look alike still, and he got his height from my Grandma's father.

New Kid In Town
10-30-2017, 05:37 PM
Taylor is absolutely glowing. She is beautiful and looks so happy. I'll bet she and her mom are thrilled that she seems to be officially on the road with the guys. The only reason I think she is "with them" is that before this show, Shun or someone else mentioned that she was on the road with her brother. And her mom was at the show in Detroit with Glenn's relatives. I wonder if these shows make them feel closer to Glenn? Maybe...

Mary C - Hi how are you ?
I am so happy that Cindy and Taylor are with Deacon to support him. I hope they were all able to attend the Detroit show as I know Glenn still has family there. It is so sweet that Taylor is with Deacon on this tour. They seem very close.

Freypower
10-30-2017, 06:13 PM
I like the photo of Don & Deacon smiling, but I couldn't find it in the link, so thanks to Shun for highlighting it. :headscratch:

Walsh needs to lose that ridiculous moustache.

MaryCalifornia
10-30-2017, 06:21 PM
Definitely agree on the mustache, FP.

I think it's funny that Timothy and Kid Rock are friends from living in Malibu. Random.

NightMistBlue
10-30-2017, 06:45 PM
Thanks for the awesome photos, Shun! I like Timothy's beard very much, he kinda looks like a Beach Boy.

Joe's mustache makes him resemble the evangelist Hal Lindsey. Not his best look, but if the Mrs. likes it, all is well.

shunlvswx
10-30-2017, 07:37 PM
I like the photo of Don & Deacon smiling, but I couldn't find it in the link, so thanks to Shun for highlighting it. :headscratch:

Walsh needs to lose that ridiculous moustache.

That's weird. It was there this morning. Now it disappear. I'm glad I saved that picture to my phone.

FreyFollower
10-30-2017, 07:56 PM
Thanks for the awesome photos, Shun! I like Timothy's beard very much, he kinda looks like a Beach Boy.

Joe's mustache makes him resemble the evangelist Hal Lindsey. Not his best look, but if the Mrs. likes it, all is well.

Too funny,NMB! He does look like Hal Lindsey!Lol!😀
I do like Timothy's beard as well.

Magnolia
10-30-2017, 08:27 PM
Timothy can work the beard but Joe's mustache looks ridiculous. Especially combined with his hair color. But as NightMistBlue said, if the missus likes it all is well.

I'm glad Taylor has been able to tour with the band. I'm sure it's comforting to Deacon having someone close to him be with him. They seem like close siblings to me.

Freypower
10-30-2017, 09:40 PM
That's weird. It was there this morning. Now it disappear. I'm glad I saved that picture to my phone.

So am I, because it helped me greatly. That's all I'll say.

BillBailey1976
11-07-2017, 01:59 PM
Seeing as how this concert was recorded specifically for audio broadcast, and performed in a much more acoustically friendly venue, do you think we might end up with a live album or video from this very contained, orchestrated event?

Freypower
11-07-2017, 06:36 PM
Seeing as how this concert was recorded specifically for audio broadcast, and performed in a much more acoustically friendly venue, do you think we might end up with a live album or video from this very contained, orchestrated event?

I hope not.

It would be tragically ironic if after all this time they decided that it was suddenly time to put out a video. I cannot think of anything more wrong, although I am well aware that some here would welcome it.

Annoying Twit
11-07-2017, 07:26 PM

It would make a lot of sense. We don't know how long it will last, but this is another iteration of Eagles. I think it would be nice if there was some permanent legacy of this version of the band.

I'd much prefer a live video to just a live album.

Delilah
11-07-2017, 08:11 PM
I agree with AT. I wouldn’t mind having a live dvd of this line-up with Vince and Deacon; it would sure beat watching temporary phone videos on YT. However, I can certainly understand how that would leave a bitter taste in the mouths of some fans who didn’t get a dvd while Glenn was in the band.

To those fans, I would say the Opry House performance was a special one-of-a-kind event that may not have happened but for Vince’s influence. That would make it different from other concert performances.

Also, it may have been Glenn himself who opposed the release of any kind of official dvd of the HOTE tour. He may not have wanted a recording of a time he was not feeling in the best of health, or there may have been other reasons.

At any rate, it doesn’t really matter b/c I doubt it will happen.

WalshFan88
11-07-2017, 09:02 PM
I hope not.

It would be tragically ironic if after all this time they decided that it was suddenly time to put out a video. I cannot think of anything more wrong, although I am well aware that some here would welcome it.

Agreed FP.

To me this is not the Eagles and I would just as soon erase this era of the band out of my memory and history books at the same time if I could. To put out a video of "this" after we've asked for videos of the real band for years would be shameful.

If they want to put out DVD's, they should do either LROOE or HOTE era footage. Or maybe HFO or 70s era. I don't care what era of the real band. But please for the love of all things music do not put out an album with this era or live video.

Annoying Twit
11-08-2017, 05:05 AM
I don't think it's an either-or situation. It would be good if more concert DVDs were released. Both of this iteration of Eagles, and of earlier tours that aren't documented in this way.

EDIT: I would personally say that the more we get, the better. The worst possible result is that we get no new concert DVDs of any sort.

Magnolia
11-09-2017, 07:01 PM
I don't think it's an either-or situation. It would be good if more concert DVDs were released. Both of this iteration of Eagles, and of earlier tours that aren't documented in this way.

EDIT: I would personally say that the more we get, the better. The worst possible result is that we get no new concert DVDs of any sort.

Agreed! I'm all for having more live DVDs.

YoungEaglesFan
11-09-2017, 11:48 PM
I hope not.

I’d be ok if they put a video out IF a video of a more recent tour with Glenn was put out. But without that, it would be terrible

Dawn
11-10-2017, 11:40 AM
I hate to say this but I have little reason to expect it won't happen. Having said that the only DVD I would truly support would be a tribute by band members to Glenn Frey honoring him as a singer, songwriter, guitarist and pianist with proceeds going to a charitable organization or foundation.

New Kid In Town
11-10-2017, 12:48 PM
Dawn - I could not agree more.
They could put out a dvd of any kind of concert footage, although I would like to see a HOTE dvd. They filmed every concert. The proceeds could go to RA and UC research.

groupie2686
11-10-2017, 03:32 PM
Dawn - I could not agree more.
They could put out a dvd of any kind of concert footage, although I would like to see a HOTE dvd. They filmed every concert. The proceeds could go to RA and UC research.

I wouldn't count on that. I think I've said this elsewhere, but I'd like to see a DVD with performances from different years and different concerts. I have something like this for Led Zeppelin and it's great.

New Kid In Town
11-10-2017, 07:03 PM
I wouldn't count on that. I think I've said this elsewhere, but I'd like to see a DVD with performances from different years and different concerts. I have something like this for Led Zeppelin and it's great.

Groupie - That would be fine too, as long as it goes from 1971-2015.

groupie2686
11-10-2017, 07:08 PM
Groupie - That would be fine too, as long as it goes from 1971-2015.

Agreed!

Delilah
04-19-2018, 02:56 PM
This is Deacon singing Take It Easy from the soundboard recording of the Opry show. He sounds great, IMO.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QLK-hgYePbw

MaryCalifornia
04-19-2018, 05:13 PM
Cool, thanks Delilah! I think it is much more fair to judge these guys' singing and performance ability (and anyone else's) by being at the show in person or by listening to this type of high quality feed, not from youtube videos taken on iPhones with fans doing terrible singing in the background. I heard a few songs from this show on the radio in my car and wow, it was really impressive (not just Deacon - all of it). I don't think Deacon sounds like Glenn, but he's a very good singer and can hit the notes.

Delilah
04-22-2018, 01:28 PM
Cool, thanks Delilah! I think it is much more fair to judge these guys' singing and performance ability (and anyone else's) by being at the show in person or by listening to this type of high quality feed, not from youtube videos taken on iPhones with fans doing terrible singing in the background. I heard a few songs from this show on the radio in my car and wow, it was really impressive (not just Deacon - all of it). I don't think Deacon sounds like Glenn, but he's a very good singer and can hit the notes.

You’re welcome, MaryC and I agree! There were a couple of other soundboard recordings but it looks like they’ve been removed.