PDA

View Full Version : So...if LROOE had been released as a single disc album...

katherine5832
01-24-2008, 10:33 PM
...which 10-12 songs would you have kept? We know that Don didn't want it to be a double album. That got me thinking this morning about which ones I would have put on a single disc album if I ruled the world (or at least the Eagles - and, damn, I wish I ruled the Eagles...sorry I was daydreaming there...:heybaby: ). Here are my picks:

1 How Long
2 Busy Being Fabulous
3 What Do I Do With My Heart
4 Waiting In The Weeds
5 No More Cloudy Days
6 Do Something
7 Long Road Out Of Eden
8 Frail Grasp On The Big Picture
9 Last Good Time In Town
10 Business As Usual
11 Center Of The Universe
12 It's Your World Now

If we could only stick with half of the original 20, I'd leave Business As Usual and Do Something off of it.

Ive always been a dreamer
01-25-2008, 01:06 AM
Good question, Katherine. I'm going to have to think about this one though. :shock:

sodascouts
01-25-2008, 02:08 AM
Hmm, this is tough, but I'll give it a shot!

If I were to make it a single disc, I would include...

1 How Long
2 Busy Being Fabulous
4 Waiting in the Weeds
5 Do Something
6 You Are Not Alone
7 I Dreamed There Was No War
8 Somebody
9 Last Good Time in Town
10 I Love to Watch a Woman Dance
11 Business As Usual
12 Center of the Universe

The only reason I don't include NMCD is because we've heard it on Farewell 1 - otherwise it totally would have been on there!

But there are so many good songs that I had to leave off this list - this exercise really makes it clear why Glenn insisted on a double album. With a single disc, too much quality material never sees the light of day. I mean, if one includes the song Long Road Out of Eden, that alone takes up 15% of a single disc!

Glennsallnighter
01-25-2008, 05:54 AM
Great idea for a topic Katherine. There have been several times that I have meant to put my favourites on a single disc anyway. I'll give it some thought and get back :wink:

Freypower
01-26-2008, 06:54 PM
Not easy, because I love the whole album, but:

1. How Long
2. What Do I Do With My Heart
3. Waiting In The Weeds
4. Do Something
5. You Are Not Alone
6. Long Road Out Of Eden
7. Somebody
8. Frail Grasp On The Big Picture
9. Last Good Time In Town
10. I Love To Watch A Woman Dance
11. Centre Of The Universe
12. It's Your World Now

I left out NMCD for the same reason Soda did.

Glennsallnighter
01-26-2008, 07:07 PM
If it was totally up to me as a kind of fantasy album I would include

1. How Long
2. Busy Being Fabulous
3. What do I do with my Heart
4. I don't wanna hear any more
5. No More Cloudy Days
6. Do Something
7. You are Not Alone
8. I dreamt There was no War
9. Somebody
10. Last Good Time in Town
11 I Love to Watch a Woman Dance
12. Its Your World Now.

I included NMCD as it wasn't on any others of their audio albums although it is on F1

Realistically though I know that there is too much Glenn :heart: bias in that and that Joe and Don are hardly represented. A more objective selection would probably be as follows

1. How Long
2. Busy Being Fabulous
3. What do I do with my Heart
4. I don't wanna hear any more
5. Waiting in the Weeds
6. Do Something
7. Fast Company (My daughter loves it!)
8. Long Road out of Eden
9. I dreamt There was no War
10. Somebody
11 Last Good Time in Town
12. Its Your World Now.

01-26-2008, 11:18 PM
Okay, this is going to be very hard for me because, like FP, I like every song on both CDs. But, let me give it a try ...

1. How Long
3. Guilty of the Crime
4. Waiting In the Weeds
5. Do Something
6. Long Road Out of Eden
7. I Dreamed There Was No War
8. Somebody
9. Frail Grasp of the Big Picture
10. Last Good Time In Town
11. I Love To Watch A Woman Dance
12. Business As Usual
13. It's Your World Now

Well, I couldn't keep it to 12 songs. If I have to cut one, it would be Do Something, but that's only because it's on the F1 bonus CD. I included it because I didn''t want to be without a Tim song. I guess I could have cut a Joe song, but I'd have to flip a coin to decide which one because I love both of them.

Maleah
01-26-2008, 11:51 PM
Hmmm.....I would have the following:

1. How Long
2. Busy Being Fabulous
3. Waiting in the Weeds
4. What Do I Do With My Heart
5. Guilty of the Crime
6. I Don't Want to Hear Anymore
7. Long Road Out of Eden
8. Somebody
9. Center of the Universe
10. You Are Not Alone
11. Business as Usual
12. Last Good Time in Town

*I left off NMD, Fast Company, and Do Something because they were all included on the previous bonus cd. If they had not been included before, I would have had them on this cd taking the place of #'s 10, 11, and 12.

bdr529
02-02-2008, 03:09 AM
OK, I too will give it a try,

1. NO MORE WALKS IN THE WOOD
2. HOW LONG
3. BUSY BEING FABULOUS
4. WHAT DO I DO WITH MY HEART
5. I DON'T WANT TO HEAR ANY MORE
6. YOU ARE NOT ALONE
7. WAITING IN THE WEEDS
8. NO MORE CLOUDY DAYS
9. LONG ROAD OUT OF EDEN
10. FRAIL GRASP OF THE BIG PICTURE
11. LAST GOOD TIME IN TOWN
12. CENTER OF THE UNIVERSE

Ask me tomorrow and I will change my mind.

Brooke
02-02-2008, 03:28 PM
My picks, in no particular order are:

1. No More Walks in the Wood
2. How Long
3. Busy Being Fabulous
4. Waiting in the Weeds
5. No More Cloudy Days
6. Long Road Out of Eden
7. Somebody
8. Business as Usual
10.Last Good Time in Town
11.You Are Not Alone

Mrs Frey
02-21-2008, 07:03 AM
Right. It's about time I get around to this topic, and as difficult as this choice is, I'm going to give it a shot. Here goes:

1. How Long (Glenn & Don)
2. What Do I Do With My Heart (Glenn & Don)
3. I Don't Want To Hear Anymore (Tim)
4. Guilty Of The Crime (Joe)
5. Waiting In The Weeds (Don)
6. No More Cloudy Days (Glenn)
7. Fast Company (Don)
8. Long Road Out Of Eden (Don) - can't leave this out: it's the title track!
9. Somebody (Glenn)
10. I Love To Watch A Woman Dance (Glenn)
11. Business As Usual (Don)
12. Centre Of The Universe (Don)
13. It's Your World Now (Glenn)

I think it's reasonable to make an album 13 tracks long. Glenn's :heart: "Strange Weather" has 15 tracks (albeit that three of them are short instrumentals), and The Beatles' albums mostly consist of 14 tracks each.

Note: it pained me to leave off "You Are Not Alone" :cry: and "Frail Grasp On The Big Picture" - I've really grown to love the latter song.

Katherine, I had to laugh when I read your wish to "rule" the Eagles. :lol: Girl, I think we ALL would like to rule the Eagles! :blush: :twisted:

Glennsallnighter
02-21-2008, 07:57 AM
Nice selection MF!

I'd like the Eagles to 'Rule' Me too! Actually one Eagle in particular could 'Rule' me all he liked :wink:

03-26-2009, 12:39 PM
Okay, this is going to be very hard for me because, like FP, I like every song on both CDs. But, let me give it a try ...

1. How Long
3. Guilty of the Crime
4. Waiting In the Weeds
5. Do Something
6. Long Road Out of Eden
8. Somebody
9. Frail Grasp of the Big Picture
12. Business As Usual
13. It's Your World Now

Well, I couldn't keep it to 12 songs. If I have to cut one, it would be Do Something, but that's only because it's on the F1 bonus CD. I included it because I didn''t want to be without a Tim song. I guess I could have cut a Joe song, but I'd have to flip a coin to decide which one because I love both of them.

I know I'm quoting myself here, but, I was browsing this forum looking for something else when I came across this thread from over a year ago. I was appalled when I saw my post and realized I had left off You Are Not Alone. It had to be an oversight on my part because I loved that song from the moment I heard it. Since I never meant to leave it off in the first place, I immediately thought "I have to fix that". :wink: I also thought it may be interesting to see if others who had responded have changed their opinions on any of this or maybe some of our newer members may want to weigh in here. For the most part, my list now doesn't change that much, but I have changed my mind on a few songs after over a year of retrospect. So here is my revised LROOE single, 12-song disc ...

1. How Long
3. Waiting In the Weeds
4. Do Something
5. You Are Not Alone
6. Long Road Out of Eden
8. Somebody
11. Business As Usual
12. It's Your World Now

Koala
03-26-2009, 02:11 PM
not easy........ I would take those Songs:
no particular order

How Long
Last Good Time In Town
Fast Company
Somebody
Guilty of the Crime
Long Road Out of Eden
Do Something
Waiting in the Weeds
I Love To Watch A Woman Dance
Fast Company
Busy Being Fabulous
What Do I Do With My Heart
Centre Of The Universe
Business As Usual

TimothyBFan
03-26-2009, 02:18 PM
Wow-Good topic-I must have missed it the first time around so I will contribute now.

No particular order

1. How Long
2. Waiting In The Weeds
3. No More Walks In The Wood
4. Do Something
5. Guilty Of The Crime
6. Fast Company
7. I Don't Want To Hear Anymore
8. Somebody
9. No More Cloudy Days
10. Frail Grasp Of The Big Picture
11. Business As Usual
12. Last Good Time In Town

Freypower
03-26-2009, 06:56 PM
Not easy, because I love the whole album, but:

1. How Long
3. Waiting In The Weeds
4. Do Something
5. You Are Not Alone
6. Long Road Out Of Eden
7. Somebody
12. It's Your World Now

I left out NMCD for the same reason Soda did.

Quoting myself here, I would probably now leave out Last Good Time In Town, but that would leave Joe without a song, so I can't. If I could I would add Business As Usual, and that would be the only change.

Prettymaid
03-26-2009, 07:10 PM
As a Joe Fan, I can't help but notice that most people are opting for Last Good Time in Town rather than Guilty of the Crime. I love LGTIT and once again wish that Joe would do it live on this tour.

I'll get back with my list - good topic!

sodascouts
03-26-2009, 07:37 PM
For me - I'm sticking with my original list (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showpost.php?p=24266&postcount=3).

Maleah
03-27-2009, 12:50 AM

1. How Long
2. Busy Being Fabulous
3. Waiting in the Weeds
5. Guilty of the Crime
6. I Don't Want to Hear Any More
7. Long Road Out of Eden
8. Somebody
10. You Are Not Alone
11. Business as Usual

*I left off NMD, Fast Company, and Do Something because they were all included on the previous bonus cd. If they had not been included before, I would have had them on this cd taking the place of #'s 10, 11, and 12.

I'd stick with my original too unless I decided to include "No More Cloudy Days" and "Fast Company." If that where the case, I would insert them in the 11 and 12 slots and bump out BAS and LGTIT

Glennsallnighter
03-27-2009, 07:29 AM
Its great to reopen a topic like this and see how our attitudes to and preferences for different songs have changed. That said, I still don't think I'd change my basic selection.

Prettymaid
03-27-2009, 08:41 AM
1 How Long
2 Busy Being Fabulous
4 Guilty of the Crime
5 Waiting in the Weeds
6 No More Cloudy Days
7 Do Something
8 You Are Not Alone
9 Long Road out of Eden
10 Somebody
11 Last Good Time in Town
12 Business as Usual

Maybe it's easier to make the point by listing what I would omit:

1 No More Walks in the Wood
2 I Don't Want to Hear Anymore
3 Fast Company
4 I Dreamed There Was No War
5 Frail Grasp on the Big Picture
6 I Love to Watch a Woman Dance
7 Center of the Universe
8 It's Your World Now

TimothyBFan
03-27-2009, 08:56 AM
I have a question, and I believe that we have discussed this once before, maybe in Survivor for LROOE and I don't really remember everyone's reasoning, but why is it that only a couple of us here have put Fast Company on our short lists? I personally think it's a catchy tune and kinda funky but apparently I am a minority here. Anyone...?

Peekaboo
03-27-2009, 09:34 AM
1. How Long
2. Busy Being Fabulous
3. Waiting In The Weeds
4. Long Road Out of Eden
5. Guilty of the Crime
6. I Don't Want To Hear Any More
7. Somebody
8. What Do I Do With My Heart
9. Fast Company
10. No More Walks In The Wood
11. Center Of The Universe
12. Do Something

My song choices are in no particular order. If I could add 2 bonus songs, I would add You Are Not Alone and No More Cloudy Days. I definitely love all of the songs that they do live but I know that I left off NMCD from my list. It's a great song and I love to hear it live but the only reason that I chose Do Something over it is because during the last few months DS has really hit home with me. As some of you know, my uncle passed away unexpectedly a few months ago and when my cousin and I were having a deep conversation about her dad and all that had happened, this song came on. We both stopped talking and just listened to the lyrics. I know that the lyrics really touched my cousins heart after just losing her dad and it touched mine as well.

sodascouts
03-27-2009, 09:52 AM
I have a question, and I believe that we have discussed this once before, maybe in Survivor for LROOE and I don't really remember everyone's reasoning, but why is it that only a couple of us here have put Fast Company on our short lists? I personally think it's a catchy tune and kinda funky but apparently I am a minority here. Anyone...?

Well, to break it down for me - Falsetto = fail!

I just don't get into the whole falsetto thing. This is 2007 - the BeeGees haven't been on top of the charts for a long time!

EagleLady
03-27-2009, 09:57 AM
I love the falsetto.

Koala
03-27-2009, 10:07 AM
I love the falsetto.
I like it too!

sodascouts
03-27-2009, 10:14 AM
And obviously, the guys love the falsetto, too! Glenn's been digging it since 1984. I just speak for myself when I say that to me, falsetto takes voices that are distinctive, textured, and emotive and turns them into voices that are generic, strained, and dated-sounding.

Prettymaid
03-27-2009, 10:23 AM
And obviously, the guys love the falsetto, too! Glenn's been digging it since 1984. I just speak for myself when I say that to me, falsetto takes voices that are distinctive, textured, and emotive and turns them into voices that are generic, strained, and dated-sounding.

I agree to a point with Soda. However, I love the falsettos in Witchy Woman and One of These Nights, especially WW. Fast Company's melody with the falsetto just doesn't do it for me.

Brooke
03-27-2009, 10:46 AM
My picks, in no particular order are:

2. How Long
3. Busy Being Fabulous
4. Waiting in the Weeds
5. No More Cloudy Days
6. Long Road Out of Eden
7. Somebody
8. Business as Usual
10.Last Good Time in Town
11.You Are Not Alone

I'm sticking with my original list except for LGTIT. I just like GOTC better. I do have an order in how much I like the songs now though and here that is:

1. Waiting In The Weeds
2. Somebody
3. How Long
4. Long Road Out of Eden
5. Busy Being Fabulous
6. Center of the Universe
7. No More Walks In the Woods
8. No More Cloudy Days
9. You Are Not Alone
10.Business As Usual
11.Guilty of the Crime

Edited to add:
12.Do Something :wink:

I don't like the falsetto either.

sodascouts
03-27-2009, 10:56 AM
I agree to a point with Soda. However, I love the falsettos in Witchy Woman and One of These Nights, especially WW. Fast Company's melody with the falsetto just doesn't do it for me.

I should have been more clear - when falsetto is used as an occasional thing, it's not so bad. When it dominates the song... it's not for me!

03-27-2009, 11:01 AM
While I'm not a huge fan of the falsetto, in some cases I think it works. As PM says - it certainly works for me in songs like WW and OOTN. It also works for me in Fast Company to give it some of its 'funkiness'. For me, the use of the funky falsetto is particularly effective here in delivering the message so it does not come across as being too preachy. To be more specific about TBF's question, it's not that I don't like Fast Company because I do. It's just that there are so many other songs on the album that I like better.

Molly
03-27-2009, 11:05 AM
Hmmmm, so this is like answering Glenn's question at PB "Which songs on LROOE don't you like?" We all swallowed our tongues when he was looking us in the eye, didn't we? I know I did! ;-)

In no particular order:

No More Walks in the Woods
How Long
Guilty of the Crime
Waiting in the Weeds
Somebody
Frail Grasp on the Big Picture
I Love to Watch a Woman Dance
Long Road Out of Eden
Business As Usual
Do Something
No More Cloudy Days
Busy Being Fabulous

sodascouts
03-27-2009, 11:18 AM
Hmmmm, so this is like answering Glenn's question at PB "Which songs on LROOE don't you like?" We all swallowed our tongues when he was looking us in the eye, didn't we? I know I did! ;-)

Well, I did say I liked all of them but two! I just didn't feel the need to elaborate. lol

03-27-2009, 11:24 AM
And I was able to look the man straight in the eye and proclaim "I like (or love) 'em all!" :angel:

Troubadour
03-27-2009, 11:42 AM
This was so, so difficult.

1. How Long
2. Long Road Out Of Eden
3. Busy Being Fabulous
5. Do Something
6. Somebody
7. No More Walks In The Wood
8. Guilty Of The Crime
9. Fast Company
10. Business As Usual
11. No More Cloudy Days
12. Waiting In The Weeds

I pretty much love all of them, but I seem to be in the minority in that I favour Guilty Of The Crime over Last Good Time In Town. GOTC is fun, it puts a smile on my face, and I can't get behind the whispering on LGTIT! It's likeable enough, but it doesn't do much for me.

Long Road Out Of Eden and Waiting In The Weeds are my absolute favourites.

I'm a fan of the funkier stuff, but in order to be able to include others I wanted, I had to leave one of them out. In this case, I went with Frail Grasp, although I love it. I felt the need to stick up for Fast Company a bit! I love the "Talk to me..." part in particular. I like the fact that they tried something a bit different.

Lastly, I wish I could have included Center Of The Universe. I loved it as soon as I heard it, and I think it's quite under-appreciated.

TimothyBFan
03-27-2009, 12:55 PM
Brooke--hate to point out the obvious here but-- excuse me--umm --no Timothy --at all????

TimothyBFan
03-27-2009, 01:03 PM
and I can't get behind the whispering on LGTIT! It's likeable enough, but it doesn't do much for me.

I'm not buying it!! ;-)

Brooke
03-27-2009, 02:26 PM
Brooke--hate to point out the obvious here but-- excuse me--umm --no Timothy --at all????

Awwww, TBF, I'm sorry. I guess I've only picked 11 and most have picked 12. In that case I would add Do Something. Why I stopped at 11, I have no clue!

I will edit my list.

Maleah
03-28-2009, 12:44 AM

Willie I LOOOOOOOVE Fast Company AND the falsetoo! I totally agree that it's catchy and funky. I loved hearing a different side of Don and it's one of my favorite songs on the cd! To be honest with you.....I listen to it way more than I do the majority on the cd. It would probably be right after WITW, LROOE, Somebody, and GOTC to be honest. So I should just say that I would omit Last Good Time in Town and put Fast Company in it's spot because that's a little more honest. lol

Maleah
03-28-2009, 12:55 AM
I pretty much love all of them, but I seem to be in the minority in that I favour Guilty Of The Crime over Last Good Time In Town. GOTC is fun, it puts a smile on my face, and I can't get behind the whispering on LGTIT! It's likeable enough, but it doesn't do much for me.

Same here Troub! GOTC is by FAR my favorite of the two Joe songs! It's such a blast to hear live and so much fun just listening to it in the car driving along! lol LGTIT is a good song....it's just not my style. Can't quite put my finger on it....just doesn't grab me. :shrug:

Freypower
03-28-2009, 01:20 AM
I like Glenn singing falsetto in Living In Darkness, Let's Go Home and Somebody Else. I feel his voice is suited to falsetto better than Don's because it is higher. To me the falsetto in Fast Company is something of an affectation. But in any case he doesn't sing the entire song that way. The 'everybody wanna be your friend' part and the 'Al Green' type bridge 'talk to me' aren't falsetto. But the fact remains that it is not a favourite of mine.

Maleah
03-28-2009, 01:37 AM

1. How Long
2. Busy Being Fabulous
3. Waiting in the Weeds
5. Guilty of the Crime
6. I Don't Want to Hear Any More
7. Long Road Out of Eden
8. Somebody
10. You Are Not Alone
11. Business as Usual

Ok so I've decided to SLIGHTLY redo mine and put them in order of my favorites

1. Waiting in the Weeds
2. How Long
3. Long Road Out of Eden
5. Guilty of the Crime
6. Somebody
7. Busy Being Fabulous
8. Center of the Universe
9. Fast Company
10. I Don't Want to Hear Any More
11. You Are Not Alone
12. Business as Usual

I've just listened to Center Of The Universe 5 times in a row! What a beautiful song! Don and Glenn's harmonies in it are absolutely gorgeous! I liked it right away but never really, REALLY listened to the entire thing while giving it my entire attention. I think it may be a new fav!

Brooke
03-28-2009, 06:21 PM
I've just listened to Center Of The Universe 5 times in a row! What a beautiful song! Don and Glenn's harmonies in it are absolutely gorgeous! I liked it right away but never really, REALLY listened to the entire thing while giving it my entire attention. I think it may be a new fav!

:yay: I really love it too!

Glennsallnighter
03-29-2009, 05:20 PM
I know exactly what you girls mean. I love that song too! I think its totally underrated!

Koala
03-30-2009, 01:02 PM
I've just listened to Center Of The Universe 5 times in a row!
What a beautiful song! Don and Glenn's harmonies in it are absolutely gorgeous!
I agree with you.

However, I dont like Center of the Universe at the first time I heard it.
Whenever the song came I ignore it and I skipped to the next song. Why no idea!
But, after I had heard the song, from time to time, I liked it more and more.

Fan_For_Life
03-31-2009, 06:45 PM
Just when you think it can't get any better than WITW, they create ~~Someday with all the stars to guide you. You will find your way back home..~~ COTU which quickly became a favorite of mine.

No More Walks In The Wood
Busy Being Fabulous
Guilty Of The Crime
I Don't Want To Hear Anymore
Waiting In The Weeds
Do Something
You Are Not Alone
Long Road Out Of Eden
Somebody
Frail Grasp On The Big Picture
Center Of The Universe

Brooke
04-01-2009, 12:08 PM
I love that line, too, FFL. I used it as my signature for a while. :thumbsup:

melrose
04-02-2009, 04:13 AM
How Long
Busy Being Fabulous
Guilty of the Crime
I Don't Want to Hear Anymore
Waiting In the Weeds
Fast Company
You Are Not Alone
Long Road Out of Eden
Somebody
Business As Usual
Center of the Universe

I left off NMCD because it was featured on Farewell. You Are Not Alone replaced it.

YoungEaglesFan
02-27-2018, 01:46 PM
I know Don and Glenn had arguments in the passed when making the LROOE album on multiple but I know the argument about it being a single or a double album was very contentious. Don has said he still believes it should have been a single album. If you were forced to make a single album version what would you include in it? I find it hard because if I do just what I feel are the best songs, Joe and Timothy get left out. What would you put?

scottside
02-27-2018, 02:26 PM
In no particular order:

1)No More Walks In The Woods
2)How Long
3)What Do I Do With My Heart
4)Waiting In The Weeds
5)Long Road Out Of Eden
6)I Dreamed There Was No War
7)Somebody
8)I Don't Want To Hear Anymore
9)Fast Company
10)You Are Not Alone
11)I Love To Watch A Woman Dance
12)Business As Usual
13)Do Something

I think this would work time-wise in terms of fitting onto one cd.

I also love the lyrics to "It's Your World Now," but the music doesn't appeal to me all that much. And there's no Joe songs because I don't think either of his contributions are up to par.

Brooke
02-27-2018, 02:47 PM
These would be my picks and in no particular order:

How Long
Busy Being Fabulous
Waiting in the Weeds
No More Cloudy Days
Long Road Out of Eden
Somebody
Business As Usual
Center of the Universe
It's Your World Now

I don't think either Joe's or Timothy's songs are up to par with these.

ETA-not sure how the time fits, but I only have 10 songs.

Delilah
02-27-2018, 03:24 PM
My selections for a cd in roughly the order I would burn them:

1. How Long
2. Busy Being Fabulous
3. I Don’t Want to Hear Anymore
4. You Are Not Alone
5. Waiting in the Weeds
6. No More Cloudy Days
7. Center of the Universe
8. Somebody
9. I Dreamed There was No War
10. It’s Your World Now

Bonus track: live 1973 recording of “How Long” 8-)

Sorry, no Joe songs. #2 and #7 barely made the cut. #8 (which doesn’t seem to quite fit in) and #9 I could have left off but they were needed to have at least 10 tracks.

I think more Joe and Timothy songs could have been included in LROOE had they been allowed to add some of their solo material.

FannyBeTender
02-27-2018, 03:26 PM
I know Don and Glenn had arguments in the passed when making the LROOE album on multiple but I know the argument about it being a single or a double album was very contentious. Don has said he still believes it should have been a single album. If you were forced to make a single album version what would you include in it? I find it hard because if I do just what I feel are the best songs, Joe and Timothy get left out. What would you put?

I think Joe and Timothy got left out of A LOT on LROOE in general. I don't think they really got to have much input on the album by the end of it. Look at the credits. Joe gets 2 leads and 1 co-write. Timothy gets 2 leads and 2 co-writes. But then Steuart Smith got 5 co-writing credits. :shrug:

And that's not a slight on Steuart Smith. He seems to be a fabulous writer and player. Just seemed odd to me that he would get to have more input than Tim and Joe.

But back to the topic at hand:

1. No More Walks In the Woods
2. How Long
3. Guilty of the Crime
4. I Don't Want to Hear Anymore
5. Waiting In the Weeds
6. Do Something
7. Long Road Out of Eden
8. Last Good Time in Town
9. No More Cloudy Days

It should be interesting to see everyone's track-listing selections lol. :wink:

YoungEaglesFan
02-27-2018, 03:42 PM
My list would be in no order

1. How long
2. What do I do with my heart
3. Busy being fabulous
4. Waiting in the weeds
5. Long road out of Eden
(I dreamed there was no war acting like the wasted time reprise in between discs)
6. Somebody
7. Center of the universe
8. Business as usual
9. Last good time in town
10. Your world now
(Almost put no more walks in the wood for LGTIT)

shunlvswx
02-27-2018, 04:24 PM
Here are my 10:
1. How Long
3. Busy Being Fabulous
4. Somebody
5. Do Something
6. Center Of the Universe
7. Waiting In The Weeds
8. Long Road Out Of Eden
9. You Are Not Alone
10. No More Walks In The Wood

I like both of Timothy's songs. I like Do Something more than I Don't Want To Hear Anymore. I'm not really a fan of Joe's songs on the album.

Freypower
02-27-2018, 05:47 PM
For what it's worth here is the original topic on this:

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=730

This is what I posted:

1. How Long
3. Waiting In The Weeds
4. Do Something
5. You Are Not Alone
6. Long Road Out Of Eden
7. Somebody
12. It's Your World Now

I would now replace COTU with IDTWNW & LGTIT with BAU.

YoungEaglesFan
02-27-2018, 05:57 PM
For what it's worth here is the original topic on this:

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=730

This is what I posted:

1. How Long
3. Waiting In The Weeds
4. Do Something
5. You Are Not Alone
6. Long Road Out Of Eden
7. Somebody
12. It's Your World Now

I would now replace COTU with IDTWNW & LGTIT with BAU.

Thanks FP I figured there was an original topic but i just wanted to talk about the album

thelastresort
02-27-2018, 06:13 PM
It would have been an infinitely better album if it had just been the one side, namely:

1) How Long
2) What Do I Do with My Heart
3) I Don't Want to Hear Any More
4) Waiting in the Weeds
5) Do Something
6) You Are Not Alone
7) Long Road Out of Eden
8) I Dreamed There Was No War
9) Somebody
10) It's Your World Now

... presented in the order that they made the final cut, not my preference. Joe's contributions to LROOE were very poor, and Henley would be better off training as a preacher instead of recording tat like Frail Grasp on the Big Picture. Throw all that together and the hardest chice to make was I Love to Watch a Woman Dance or It's Your World Now!

YoungEaglesFan
02-27-2018, 06:29 PM
I get some of the arguments that the album itself would have been artistically better as a whole if it was just one album but I don’t think that means that much in my opinion. More eagles songs is a good thing in my mind. Some were flawed but I don’t think any are that bad. Especially since it was their only full album since the break up and their last one. Had they had some previous unreleased material that would be fine but they aren’t big on that kind of thing :cry:

Freypower
02-27-2018, 06:36 PM
I'm glad it was a double album because Glenn had more songs. If it had been a single album you know very well 75% of it would have been Henley songs. Again. I'm just grateful. The Walsh songs are below par and only Do Something is worthy of Tim.

thelastresort
02-27-2018, 06:47 PM
I get some of the arguments that the album itself would have been artistically better as a whole if it was just one album but I don’t think that means that much in my opinion. More eagles songs is a good thing in my mind. Some were flawed but I don’t think any are that bad. Especially since it was their only full album since the break up and their last one. Had they had some previous unreleased material that would be fine but they aren’t big on that kind of thing :cry:

I'm the opposite. Another example is The Long Run: hamstrung beyond all description by the inclusion of Teenage Jail, Greeks and Disco Strangler, simply because they needed to fill the album up. Less is more in these instances. I would rather have heard 70 decent-to-superb Eagles songs than 70 decent-to-superb Eagles songs and 25 utterly tepid hogswash Eagles songs.

FannyBeTender
02-27-2018, 07:08 PM
I'm the opposite. Another example is The Long Run: hamstrung beyond all description by the inclusion of Teenage Jail, Greeks and Disco Strangler, simply because they needed to fill the album up. Less is more in these instances. I would rather have heard 70 decent-to-superb Eagles songs than 70 decent-to-superb Eagles songs and 25 utterly tepid hogswash Eagles songs.

..........I actually love every single song on that album lol ;). I might be one of the few who does lol :lol:.

The Long Run just "clicked" with me and is my favorite Eagles studio album. :heart:

Now LROOE....a single album probably would have worked better.

YoungEaglesFan
02-27-2018, 07:28 PM
[QUOTE=thelastresort;372036]I'm the opposite. Another example is The Long Run: hamstrung beyond all description by the inclusion of Teenage Jail, Greeks and Disco Strangler, simply because they needed to fill the album up. Less is more in these instances. I would rather have heard 70 decent-to-superb Eagles songs than 70 decent-to-superb Eagles songs and 25 utterly tepid hogswash Eagles songs

I understand that but I feel that a full double album would have been than a single album. A middle ground could have been achieved I guess but I don’t think there that many bad songs on it. I don’t like a couple but I don’t they are terrible songs. They aren’t good but they aren’t terrible. Songs like disco strangler and teenange jail are terrible in my mind.

chaim
02-28-2018, 03:45 AM
It's fun to see which songs people would pick. But it's a funny thing about double albums that soon as someone says they actually should have released the album as a single album, the problem with this kind of thinking (I've seen this about Hot In The Shade on a Kiss forum) is that usually it becomes clear that everyone should have a special single album done for them. Remove some songs and make the album better for one person, and you'll make it worse for another person. Ob-la-di ob-la-da would be the first song I'd remove from the so called White Album, but it's probably somebody else's favorite song ever.

Back to LROOE. Guilty Of The Crime, Somebody and It's Your World Now (musically) are songs I could easily do without, but I like the other songs enough to enjoy it as a double album.

BillBailey1976
02-28-2018, 02:00 PM
Here's my songs
1. How Long
2. Busy Being Fabulous
3. Waiting in the Weeds
4. Long Road Out of Eden
5. Guilty of the Crime
6. Fast Company
7. What Do I Do With My Heart
8. Business as Usual
9. I Don't Wanna Hear Anymore
10. It's Your World Now

As sad as it is...I found it hard to come up with enough songs for a single album. The whole thing is so dis-jointed.
If I hadn't added a Tim and Joe Song just because I know if they'd done a single album they would have had one lead each, I'm not sure I could have filled it out.

BillBailey1976
02-28-2018, 02:02 PM
It's fun to see which songs people would pick. But it's a funny thing about double albums that soon as someone says they actually should have released the album as a single album, the problem with this kind of thinking (I've seen this about Hot In The Shade on a Kiss forum) is that usually it becomes clear that everyone should have a special single album done for them. Remove some songs and make the album better for one person, and you'll make it worse for another person. Ob-la-di ob-la-da would be the first song I'd remove from the so called White Album, but it's probably somebody else's favorite song ever.

Back to LROOE. Guilty Of The Crime, Somebody and It's Your World Now (musically) are songs I could easily do without, but I like the other songs enough to enjoy it as a double album.

I think "Somebody" might be up there with the worst songs they have done.Whatever Glenn was trying to do with is voice...he failed on that one.

YoungEaglesFan
02-28-2018, 04:03 PM
I think "Somebody" might be up there with the worst songs they have done.Whatever Glenn was trying to do with is voice...he failed on that one.

I like the song a lot. I don’t like the weird voice thing but as a whole I like the song. I’m surprised some people hate it but I feel that way about other songs too

Brooke
02-28-2018, 04:21 PM
Somebody was a favorite the first time I heard it! I love Glenn's versatility on it!

But, as you said, to each his own.

shunlvswx
02-28-2018, 04:36 PM
At first, I didn't like Somebody, but it has grown on me. Maybe it was that little change in Glenn's voice in certain parts of the song was probably the reason I didn't like it. Just like I don't like Fast Company(I still don't like it to this day) because Don doesn't sound like himself throughout the song.

Freypower
02-28-2018, 04:37 PM

He only does that in the line 'and it's calling you home'. It's a bit unfair to hate the entire song based on just that. it was such a thrill to hear him sing an uptempo song on the album, although he didn't write it. And I got to see it performed - twice - before it was unceremoniously dropped.

thelastresort
02-28-2018, 05:09 PM
I really like Somebody; it has bite to it in the vain the latter two 70s albums did, especially in the sea of country / soft that filled out most of the rest of the album. Along with Witchy Woman it is probably the only Eagles song that play on a straightforward dark, mystic theme; almost like a Holloween song of sorts. I love the 'Calling you home' line too, not classic Glenn but it fits in oddly well.

Most crucially though for me, in addition to How Long and a couple of others on the album, it is also one of the few songs that feel like a traditional Eagles number: guitar-driven, with signature Glenn rhythm, basic (good!) drumming and layers to the vocals: it is easier to visualise the guys performing it than songs like ILTWAWD or It's Your World Now for example.

UndertheWire
02-28-2018, 05:12 PM
"Somebody" is one of my favourites on the album.

I have a hard time with the idea that it would be better with less. If it was songs going on for too long, or too many similar songs, I might agree but it has such diversity that it never gets dull.

scottside
02-28-2018, 07:04 PM
To me, "Somebody" feels like one of the few band songs on the album. Where many of the tracks sound like they could be solo songs, this one does not, plus it's catchy as hell. It would've been all over radio if this was 30 years ago.

02-28-2018, 07:36 PM
ITA scottside.

I went ahead and merged this thread with the original one.

I looked at my post in the original thread and would now make just a couple of changes. I actually burned a CD with the original songs I listed. But, I'm still one that is glad that LROOE is a double CD. Here's my revised list ...

2. How Long
3. What Do I Do With My Heart
4. Waiting In the Weeds
5. Do Something
6. You Are Not Alone
7. Long Road Out of Eden
8. I Dreamed There Was No War
9. Somebody
12. Business As Usual
13. It's Your World Now

If I had to cut a song, it would be NMWITW - I'm not crazy about the song's melody, but I do love the idea of opening with an acapella song.

DiscoStrangler
02-28-2018, 07:52 PM
I actually just got this today on vinyl via Amazon. I had put it off because I was a fan of the older material but finally decided I needed it in my collection. Is the gatefold supposed to be upside down or did I manage to get some kind of bootleg version?

Freypower
02-28-2018, 09:07 PM
I really like Somebody; it has bite to it in the vain the latter two 70s albums did, especially in the sea of country / soft that filled out most of the rest of the album. Along with Witchy Woman it is probably the only Eagles song that play on a straightforward dark, mystic theme; almost like a Holloween song of sorts. I love the 'Calling you home' line too, not classic Glenn but it fits in oddly well.

Most crucially though for me, in addition to How Long and a couple of others on the album, it is also one of the few songs that feel like a traditional Eagles number: guitar-driven, with signature Glenn rhythm, basic (good!) drumming and layers to the vocals: it is easier to visualise the guys performing it than songs like ILTWAWD or It's Your World Now for example.

Why it was dropped after two nights in Sydney is beyond me.

It was such a thrill to see Tim & Don share a mic while Glenn sang, as opposed to Tim & Glenn while Don sang. It was a big deal. It was a lot of fun to watch & had a great vibe. They should have stuck with it. But then they dropped the entire album, managing to do a 'History' tour without acknowledging it. They were wrong about it.

YoungEaglesFan
02-28-2018, 09:13 PM
A guess this is a separate question but would they have played songs off the album after HOTE? I’d hope they would. I really wish I was old enough to see them during the LROOE and HOTE tour. I hope just for my own sake they play WITW in the up coming tour at least.

Freypower
02-28-2018, 09:24 PM
A guess this is a separate question but would they have played songs off the album after HOTE? I’d hope they would. I really wish I was old enough to see them during the LROOE and HOTE tour. I hope just for my own sake they play WITW in the up coming tour at least.

If they dropped it for HOTE why would they revive it now? I will refrain from further comment.

YoungEaglesFan
02-28-2018, 09:30 PM
If they dropped it for HOTE why would they revive it now? I will refrain from further comment.

I meant it more as if Glenn was still around. Does anyone know if they were permanentely dropping material off the album or if it was just due to the nature of the tour?

Delilah
02-28-2018, 09:33 PM

I like the lyrics of Somebody for that reason and because it seems to be a nod to Witchy Woman. At first I wondered if the object of the singer’s scorn was Felder, lol, then I saw that Glenn didn’t write it. I also like the upbeat tempo. But I can’t get behind it 100% b/c I don’t like Glenn’s vocal styling. I give him props for trying something different but to me it just doesn’t work.

It seems to have a different vibe from the rest of the album. Maybe b/c it doesn’t sound like a solo track like others have said.

Freypower
02-28-2018, 09:40 PM
I meant it more as if Glenn was still around. Does anyone know if they were permanentely dropping material off the album or if it was just due to the nature of the tour?

Well, as he's no longer around, and that was the last tour, who knows, but quite frankly I very much doubt that they would have revived any LROOE songs.

The point is calling something a 'history' tour & then ignoring completely the one album they did after their reunion was bizarre. But then it was barely mentioned in the documentary either.

They are getting to be very good at airbrushing their history.

YoungEaglesFan
02-28-2018, 10:02 PM
Well, as he's no longer around, and that was the last tour, who knows, but quite frankly I very much doubt that they would have revived any LROOE songs.

The point is calling something a 'history' tour & then ignoring completely the one album they did after their reunion was bizarre. But then it was barely mentioned in the documentary either.

They are getting to be very good at airbrushing their history.

I agree. Something like How Long could have been a good encore song with its relation to the past and the more recent album. But I guess that’s all in the past now

chaim
03-01-2018, 03:24 AM
I don't actually dislike Somebody as a song, but for some bizarre reason I tend to have a problem with songwriters recording songs by other writers. That's why I've never felt totally comfortable with On The Border. So many songs written by others. I don't mind an album full of covers. (Glenn has done it. Bowie has done it. Etc.) But when songs by others are mixed with songs by the artist on the same album, I can't get behind the "borrowed" songs the same way. How Long doesn't bother me as much, because it has such a history with the band. IDWTHA is so catchy that it gets a pass I guess, although I'd still like to see Timothy's name in the credits and although the lyric is not that great IMHO. Somebody probably wouldn't bother me if it was an awesome song, but to me it's an ok song. I wish Glenn had written/co-written an uptempo song himself. He has proved that he can do it.

BillBailey1976
03-01-2018, 01:03 PM
He only does that in the line 'and it's calling you home'. It's a bit unfair to hate the entire song based on just that. it was such a thrill to hear him sing an uptempo song on the album, although he didn't write it. And I got to see it performed - twice - before it was unceremoniously dropped.

The song itself isn't that bad. Not by any means..but it's that part you referenced that ruins it for me.
The lyrics are decent, and Glenn sounds good until he "tries" that weird voice. It's not even a real falsetto...but some sort of character voice or something..i don't know what you'd call it.

groupie2686
03-01-2018, 02:36 PM
The song itself isn't that bad. Not by any means..but it's that part you referenced that ruins it for me.
The lyrics are decent, and Glenn sounds good until he "tries" that weird voice. It's not even a real falsetto...but some sort of character voice or something..i don't know what you'd call it.

I agree, and it's the weird voice that ruins the song for me. I don't know what he was trying to do there...and it is rare for me to dislike a song of Glenn's.

My picks for a single disc LROOE, in no particular order:

1. How Long
2. Busy Being Fabulous
3. What Do I Do With My Heart
4. Waiting in the Weeds
5. No More Cloudy Days
6. Long Road Out of Eden
7. Do Something
8. You Are Not Alone
9. Business As Usual
10. It's Your World Now

I could also add No More Walks in the Wood to this. I don't like the idea of an Eagles album without Joe on it, but I don't care for either of his songs on this album.

Freypower
03-01-2018, 06:42 PM

Well no, it's not falsetto at all, because it's sung in his normal range. I forgot the previous line where he also uses the voice - -'somebody's following you'. I thought it was funny.

It's Glenn's over-reliance on Jack Tempchin that started to bother me, not that it matters now. And of course the much maligned ILTWAWD was also a cover. He seemed to think that not only was Henley a better singer but also a better songwriter.

chaim
03-02-2018, 03:38 AM
I forgot about ILTWAWD. I'd remove that too for the reasons I mentioned above. Glenn sounds great on it, but I wish he'd done a song he wrote/co-wrote instead. NMCD showed that Glenn didn't even need a co-writer to come up with a great tune. I wish YANA was longer. It's great. When it's so short it seems more like a personal message (which it was) instead of a song. It could have been longer and the extra minutes could have sort of replaced ILTWAWD. WDIDWMH, again, is a very good composition and probably all Glenn's (I suspect Don helped with the lyrics?) Glenn could have replaced the covers easily with his own songs if he wanted to do a double album. If he had problems with lyrics, Don could have helped. They did co-write several songs for Don to sing.

So, as a Glenn fan it feels weird to say I'd remove most of the songs written by others, which would mean less Glenn on the album.

UndertheWire
03-02-2018, 07:35 AM
I first listened to this after watching the documentary despite having been given it a few years earlier. It's the album that got me paying attention to Glenn's singing (back in the 70s, I preferred Don). If Henley had had his way, perhaps the songs that won me over would have been cut.

03-07-2018, 02:58 PM
As I've said before, I'm very glad that they released it as a double album. Obviously, we'll never know what songs what have survived a cut, but since I think all of the songs are pretty good, I'm glad they saw the light of day. My biggest complaint about the album is that several of Don and Glenn's songs sound more like solo songs than Eagles songs.