PDA

View Full Version : For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

VillageGirl
11-24-2017, 05:36 PM
IMO, it is still condescending to refer to people who want to enjoy a concert as brainwashed and compare them to a flock of sheep.

WalshFan88
11-24-2017, 05:39 PM
IMO, it is still condescending to refer to people who want to enjoy a concert as brainwashed and compare them to a flock of sheep.

To each their own then. I just wish people would do their research than go with the flow. If people do and then think it's on the up and up, that's fine.

YoungEaglesFan
11-24-2017, 05:40 PM
Perhaps the wrong word. More like uninformed.

But my guess there are even people who don't even know Glenn is gone. Probably a very small few, but I'm sure they exist. They wouldn't know anything about the band besides "Oooh, Hotel California!".

Sheep is right. And no, I'm not putting anyone on this board in that group, if it wasn't already clear.

Then I agree with what you’re saying. I’m not sure how well informed the general fan base is about the band. Hopefully HOTE tour helped out but I think most like basically the two greatest hits albums and that’s it.

WalshFan88
11-24-2017, 05:42 PM
Then I agree with what you’re saying. I’m not sure how well informed the general fan base is about the band. Hopefully HOTE tour helped out but I think most like basically the two greatest hits albums and that’s it.

My point exactly.

To me it's all so wrong (going on w/o Glenn) I would equate it on the scale of something much more evil, and people would shake their heads at that comparison, but it's how I see it. Obviously since we are under constant scrutiny here, I'm not about to specify.

YoungEaglesFan
11-24-2017, 05:46 PM
My point exactly.

To me it's all so wrong (going on w/o Glenn) I would equate it on the scale of something much more evil, and people would shake their heads at that comparison, but it's how I see it. Obviously since we are under constant scrutiny here, I'm not about to specify.

I think it’s safe to say we disagree but at least we found a better understanding of each other’s view points.

WalshFan88
11-24-2017, 05:48 PM
I think it’s safe to say we disagree but at least we found a better understanding of each other’s view points.

And that's totally fine. Peace.

sodascouts
11-24-2017, 05:48 PM
The casual fan doesn't care that much in the first place, so they don't need to be brainwashed. They just want to sing along to Hotel California at the top of their lungs, then leave before the encore to beat the traffic.

Still, Don and co. were not sure how things were going to go down without Glenn at first, and there were a lot of resistant fans whose objections immediately disappeared at the involvement of Deacon. Insurance.

We are oversimplifying, though. People are complex. Deacon can be both a heartfelt inclusion and a convenient way to legitimize making truckloads of money.

However, since Don has said Deacon is free to leave at any time but does not add that when he leaves, the "Eagles" will end... family blood is obviously not considered necessary in the long term.

So there's no need to play hypothetical games. You have your answer. Deacon is optional.

WalshFan88
11-24-2017, 05:52 PM
The casual fan doesn't care that much in the first place, so they don't need to be brainwashed. They just want to sing along to Hotel California at the top of their lungs, then leave before the encore to bear the traffic.

At any rate, Don and co. were not sure how things were going to go down without Glenn at first, and there were a lot of resistant fans whose objections immediately disappeared at the involvement of Deacon. Insurance.

We are oversimplifying, though. People are complex. Deacon can be both a heartfelt inclusion and a convenient way to legitimize making truckloads of money.

However, since Don has said Deacon is free to leave at any time but does not add that when he leaves, the "Eagles" will end... family blood is obviously no longer considered necessary in the long term.

So there's no need to play hypothetical games. You have your answer. Deacon is optional.

Agreed, Soda. I think uninformed about the situation is what I meant to say, which they are.

I also agree there is the possibility of it being a heartfelt inclusion. I just feel some people are missing the other "benefit", as it were and saying it was purely for heartfelt reasons. It's very possible it's both. Hopefully it was both. But I know one of them is true ($), the other is a possibility. I overlooked that aspect of it.

YoungEaglesFan
11-24-2017, 06:05 PM
The casual fan doesn't care that much in the first place, so they don't need to be brainwashed. They just want to sing along to Hotel California at the top of their lungs, then leave before the encore to beat the traffic.

Still, Don and co. were not sure how things were going to go down without Glenn at first, and there were a lot of resistant fans whose objections immediately disappeared at the involvement of Deacon. Insurance.

However, since Don has said Deacon is free to leave at any time but does not add that when he leaves, the "Eagles" will end... family blood is obviously not considered necessary in the long term.

I will agree that he’s optional assuming they would continue if he left but this is a tad different as we are discussing if they would have continued at all had he not join.

Freypower
11-24-2017, 07:33 PM
I will agree that he’s optional assuming they would continue if he left but this is a tad different as we are discussing if they would have continued at all had he not join.

We are discussing both scenarios, not one. Hence the word 'optional' is entirely appropriate.

YoungEaglesFan
11-24-2017, 09:26 PM
We are discussing both scenarios, not one. Hence the word 'optional' is entirely appropriate.

Oh ok. In the case of Deacon being optional now I agree he would be optional but I personally am not sure if that’s true when they started.

Dawn
11-24-2017, 11:53 PM
"Many have cited Goldenvoice’s 2016 Desert Trip festival, which featured Bob Dylan, the Rolling Stones, Paul McCartney and more as setting the template for the Classic West and East shows.

The Eagles and I have been having conversations about doing something with Fleetwood Mac and Steely Dan and others at some point in a festival situation long before Desert Trip,” Azoff said. “But I can’t say that Desert Trip didn’t validate the idea.”

LA Times May 2017

Desert Trip took place Oct 7, 2016 – Oct 16, 2016
Reportedly tickets sold out within 3 hours

The Classic East/West took place in July 2017

-----------

I am wondering when these conversations between Azoff and the "Eagles" took place. The HOTE tour concluded in July 2015. Glenn was hospitalized in Oct/Nov 2015.

Clearly it took some major planning to coordinate the lineup and availability of dates.

I wonder if Glenn Frey participated in these discussions and if so whether they might have had an earlier timeframe in mind or if they had always planned for Summer 2017. Lastly, it has crossed my mind this could be what Glenn meant when he told Bernie it's not over.

YoungEaglesFan
11-25-2017, 12:57 AM
"Many have cited Goldenvoice’s 2016 Desert Trip festival, which featured Bob Dylan, the Rolling Stones, Paul McCartney and more as setting the template for the Classic West and East shows.

The Eagles and I have been having conversations about doing something with Fleetwood Mac and Steely Dan and others at some point in a festival situation long before Desert Trip,” Azoff said. “But I can’t say that Desert Trip didn’t validate the idea.”

LA Times May 2017

Desert Trip took place Oct 7, 2016 – Oct 16, 2016
Reportedly tickets sold out within 3 hours

The Classic East/West took place in July 2017

-----------

I am wondering when these conversations between Azoff and the "Eagles" took place. The HOTE tour concluded in July 2015. Glenn was hospitalized in Oct/Nov 2015.

Clearly it took some major planning to coordinate the lineup and availability of dates.

I wonder if Glenn Frey participated in these discussions and if so whether they might have had an earlier timeframe in mind or if they had always planned for Summer 2017. Lastly, it has crossed my mind this could be what Glenn meant when he told Bernie it's not over.
I doubt that’s what he meant as 2-3 more concert dates wouldn’t be enough in my mind to tell Bernie “hey we have more work left”. I figured they would do similar HOTE tours in the future with the same setup of having Bernie along. But your guess is as good as mine

Dawn
11-25-2017, 05:30 AM
I doubt that’s what he meant as 2-3 more concert dates wouldn’t be enough in my mind to tell Bernie “hey we have more work left”. I figured they would do similar HOTE tours in the future with the same setup of having Bernie along. But your guess is as good as mine

It is also possible Glenn was not part of the discussion at all since Azoff doesn't specify when those conversations took place. It might very well have been 2016. Personally I think Glenn was probably done with the mega touring. It has been said he was worn out. Perhaps he was referring to something related to HC.

YoungEaglesFan
11-25-2017, 11:29 AM
It is also possible Glenn was not part of the discussion at all since Azoff doesn't specify when those conversations took place. It might very well have been 2016. Personally I think Glenn was probably done with the mega touring. It has been said he was worn out. Perhaps he was referring to something related to HC.

Yeah something like that would make more sense. I agree I doubt Glenn had anything to do with the conversations. I’m sure the band would just have agreed to do the concerts.

Dawn
11-26-2017, 10:32 AM
Yeah something like that would make more sense. I agree I doubt Glenn had anything to do with the conversations. I’m sure the band would just have agreed to do the concerts.

I gotta believe Glenn Frey would not do a massive tour like HOTE without serious thought and consideration. He had so much more to give and many options to continue doing what he loved without being away from home/family and exposed to all the stress factors that come attached to promotional tours on a grand scale.

New Kid In Town
11-26-2017, 11:19 AM
I gotta believe Glenn Frey would not do a massive tour like HOTE without serious thought and consideration. He had so much more to give and many options to continue doing what he loved without being away from home/family and exposed to all the stress factors that come attached to promotional tours on a grand scale.

Dawn - I have to agree with you. Don gave an interview before the Classic East in which he said Glenn was exhausted and worn out after the HOTE tour ended. He stated something along the lines of "then he got the pneumonia". Had Glenn not been so exhausted and worn out, maybe he would have had a better chance of fighting off the pneumonia. I could not see Glenn doing another long tour like that.

Dawn
11-26-2017, 12:18 PM
Dawn - I have to agree with you. Don gave an interview before the Classic East in which he said Glenn was exhausted and worn out after the HOTE tour ended. He stated something along the lines of "then he got the pneumonia". Had Glenn not been so exhausted and worn out, maybe he would have had a better chance of fighting off the pneumonia. I could not see Glenn doing another long tour like that.

I totally agree. IIRC after HOTE finally ended Glenn went to his home on Kauai for some R&R and became ill with some sort of infection (bacterial?) which was successfully treated in LA I believe. Bob Seger also expressed concern about Glenn being worn out when he saw him in July 2015 in Detroit. If you look at the timeline since the tour ended late July there were only a couple of months . August to October before he went into the hospital in NYC. I have also wondered if the second case of pneumonia was related to treatment (VAP?).

Even with long breaks and the best amenities money can buy being on the road is a grind. The pressure to capitalize on albums, anniversaries, documentaries, etc through touring is something all bands and artists deal with and can be quite challenging especially in this era of classic rock baby boomers with expendable income extending the length and viability of careers for musicians well into their 70s.

YoungEaglesFan
11-26-2017, 01:55 PM

No I mean doing the classic concerts not a full tour. I doubt Glenn would do a full tour without a good break in between

Dawn
11-26-2017, 02:24 PM
No I mean doing the classic concerts not a full tour. I doubt Glenn would do a full tour without a good break in between

Perhaps. We will never know. Personally I would hope he would have been able to pursue all his interests. I would have loved a book. Glenn was a great storyteller. Non fiction or fiction like a Hotel California play/musical.

YoungEaglesFan
11-26-2017, 02:48 PM
Perhaps. We will never know. Personally I would hope he would have been able to pursue all his interests. I would have loved a book. Glenn was a great storyteller. Non fiction or fiction like a Hotel California play/musical.

A book would have been great but it’s something I doubt he would have done. It’s a shame

Freypower
11-26-2017, 06:17 PM
A book would have been great but it’s something I doubt he would have done. It’s a shame

He had talked about doing a book on the Tavis Smiley interview.

http://www.pbs.org/video/tavis-smiley-glenn-frey-tribute-part-1/
http://www.pbs.org/video/tavis-smiley-musician-glenn-frey-part-2/

sodascouts
11-26-2017, 08:10 PM
A book from Glenn would have been brilliant. It's too late for Glenn, but there's still time for Don Henley to write one. I hope he does.

But I digress.

An unhappy moment this Thanksgiving vacation for me related to this thread:

My younger sister has Sirius, and had happened across the Eagles channel. They had been talking about the Opry show, and so she asks me if I managed to go (after which I had to set her straight). Then, once I explain to her what the deal is, she exclaims "Oh! I wondered why his voice sounded so different! It must have been the other guy singing!" So people listening to the channel and hearing live tracks from the recent shows are thinking it's Glenn on an off night!

Honestly the fact that these live tracks are polluting the Eagles channel and causing this kind of confusion is so repugnant that I won't be sorry to see the channel go.

Glennsallnighter
11-26-2017, 08:26 PM
I had been looking forward to the book too. What a pity he never got to finish it.

WalshFan88
11-26-2017, 08:49 PM
A book from Glenn would have been brilliant. It's too late for Glenn, but there's still time for Don Henley to write one. I hope he does.

But I digress.

An unhappy moment this Thanksgiving vacation for me related to this thread:

My younger sister has Sirius, and had happened across the Eagles channel. They had been talking about the Opry show, and so she asks me if I managed to go (after which I had to set her straight). Then, once I explain to her what the deal is, she exclaims "Oh! I wondered why his voice sounded so different! It must have been the other guy singing!" So people listening to the channel and hearing live tracks from the recent shows are thinking it's Glenn on an off night!

Honestly the fact that these live tracks are polluting the Eagles channel and causing this kind of confusion is so repugnant that I won't be sorry to see the channel go.

I.agree Soda. Playing the recorded songs and some of their influences and early works is great, as well as playing the '76 live tracks that are on the 40th edition of HC. But putting in the new band stuff is just a no go for me.

See, the whole thing about people not knowing it's not Glenn is a big problem for me. I'm sure there are even some that went to one of the shows in person and never realized Glenn was gone by confusing him with one of the other guys or not paying attention.

But it's definitely a bigger problem with music and live tracks because people easily could think it was just an off night and get confused. It really, really sucks.

New Kid In Town
11-26-2017, 09:11 PM
Since I do not get Sirius, I have a question. Doesn't the dj announce it is "the new Eagles" performing at the
Opry and/or Classics ? Just wondering as I would think that should be made clear before a song is even played.

As to Don writing a book, I think he would think twice about that. It did not work out for him when he cooperated with Eliot. Don said some very nasty, mean and petty things about some of the guys. He also looked bad when Eliot told his side as to how Don tried to keep the book from being published/sold.

YoungEaglesFan
11-26-2017, 10:37 PM
Maybe between what Don did and what Glenn started there’s enough to make a book? I’d much rather hear stuff from Glenn than Don but any information on the inner workings of the band and the music it made would be enough for me to read

Dawn
11-26-2017, 11:17 PM
He had talked about doing a book on the Tavis Smiley interview.

http://www.pbs.org/video/tavis-smiley-glenn-frey-tribute-part-1/
http://www.pbs.org/video/tavis-smiley-musician-glenn-frey-part-2/

Thanks FP, great interview .... tears at the end wishing Glenn was still here.

New Kid In Town
11-26-2017, 11:23 PM
Dawn - Same here. I just re-watched it not too long ago. You can tell Tavis enjoyed himself and had a great time interviewing Glenn.

chaim
11-26-2017, 11:27 PM
Playing live stuff from the new lineup is fine with with me, but IMO they should mention the singer - if it's not Don, Joe or Timothy.

MaryCalifornia
11-27-2017, 01:16 AM
People listening to the Eagles station are either knowledgeable about the band's lineup or they're not. They either know Glenn died or they don't. I'm not worried about Glenn's reputation or legacy being sullied by his son singing his song live on the radio with the "Eagles". Just as I'm not worried that someone listening to a live rendition of TITTL sung by Glenn thinks it's Randy Meisner (the version that tens of millions of people know) on an off night.

What I do know is that this is my last post in this thread that I enthusiastically started, knowing how Soda feels about the station. We're not supposed to argue in the 3.0 thread, but we certainly read it.

sodascouts
11-27-2017, 01:20 AM
People listening to the Eagles station are either knowledgeable about the band's lineup or they're not. They either know Glenn died or they don't. I'm not worried about Glenn's reputation or legacy being sullied by his son singing his song live on the radio with the "Eagles". Just as I'm not worried that someone listening to a live rendition of TITTL sung by Glenn thinks it's Randy Meisner (the version that tens of millions of people know) on an off night.

What I do know is that this is my last post in this thread that I enthusiastically started, knowing how Soda feels about the station. We're not supposed to argue in the 3.0 thread, but we certainly read it.

While I understand you are making a statement, since you are replying to a post in another thread, I'm going to be forced to move your reply to the thread which contains the post you are replying to, Eagles 3.0.

I am sorry you find my unhappiness with the radio station intolerable.

EDIT: Post has been moved to Eagles 3.0

MaryCalifornia
11-27-2017, 01:22 AM
I'm replying to FP's post in this thread.

If you move me to 3.0 I will get in trouble!!

MaryCalifornia
11-27-2017, 01:25 AM
Who said intolerable?? I'm trying to be respectful, on your site, of your feelings.

sodascouts
11-27-2017, 01:26 AM
I'm replying to FP's post in this thread.

If you move me to 3.0 I will get in trouble!!

You weren't really replying to FP, since your reply would make no sense unless someone had read my statement.

Why are you reading Eagles 3.0 anyway?

sodascouts
11-27-2017, 01:28 AM
Who said intolerable?? I'm trying to be respectful, on your site, of your feelings.

I bend over backwards trying to keep things positive for people with your opinion - including refraining from making negative comments in the thread you started - and this is the thanks I get. You and shun sulking and refusing to post because I made a negative comment over here in this thread.

Why do I even bother?

MaryCalifornia
11-27-2017, 01:44 AM
I DON'T know why you bother, I've been saying that all along. It's a bad fit, but as long as this site permits new threads about the current lineup's activities, I've enjoyed reading them.

I can't speak for Shun, but as for myself, I don't care what others Borderers think, but I do care what YOU think because you are our host. Doesn't matter what thread you're posting in. And now you're belittling me. Forget it, this is all absurd.

sodascouts
11-27-2017, 01:56 AM
I guess we just have a miscommunication then, MC, because when I read these past few posts, I did not get a very respectful vibe at all. However, perhaps that was me misreading your tone after a hard day.

I have worked hard to make this a place where all (non-troll) opinions are welcome, so I find it frustrating when people say they will not post something because it disagrees with my opinion. This is especially true when it is done in a "public announcement" fashion, inviting others to follow suit.

That is why I was reacted as I did.

MaryCalifornia
11-27-2017, 02:08 AM
Apologies, Soda, for anything I said or a for disrespectful tone. You get defensive pretty quickly when you realize that your posts have had an effect on the members of the board. You don't like it when we take your words and modify our behavior and our posting based on those words. You want to be able to say anything (totally fair) and have it NOT have any effect on your members (not realistic). I think you should post away and let the chips fall where they may in the other threads.

Edit: I was tired last night, too, Soda. I shouldn't try to tell you how to handle your own site. You ask me why I read this thread, so I ask you why you read the radio channel thread. But, you're the admin, so sorry for going out of bounds.

sodascouts
11-28-2017, 03:57 PM
Another "never assume the casual fan has a clue" moment:

Colleague: Hey, did you hear the Eagles are touring? I know you're a big fan!

Me: [thinking] Here we go again.... How many times are people going to come up to me with this "news".... [deep breath, begin recitation] Yeah, I know a group calling themselves the Eagles are touring but I don't think Don Henley should have continued the band after Glenn Frey died and I'm not going to any of the shows.

Him: Don Henley?

Me: [thinking] Seriously? [aloud] Don Henley was the other main singer in the Eagles. He's the one that's still alive.

Him: Oh, OK. Sorry, I didn't know who was who. Anyway I see you're a purist!

Me: Um. Yeah. I guess you could say that.

----------------

It's all about the brand.

NightMistBlue
11-28-2017, 05:11 PM
You would have been within your rights to roll your eyes when he called you a purist :)

New Kid In Town
11-28-2017, 05:28 PM
Well, this does not surprise me. There is a whole segment of the population that have no idea Glenn died. They hear the Eagles are touring and just assume it is the pre-2017 Eagles. I would guess there are a lot of people who just enjoy their music and have no idea who made up the group.:sigh::(
When Sirius plays music from the new version of the group, do they announce it is the "new Eagles" ?
Soda, you are going to be hearing plenty of this until Don call it quits.

New Kid In Town
11-28-2017, 05:44 PM
I read the Lefsetzletter under happy birthday wishes for Joe. Lefsetz attended his party and made, in MO, this shameful statement :Except if you’re the Eagles. America’s biggest band, just check the statistics, who are ironically better in their new incarnation.
He can't be serious - better than the guys who founded/wrote/recorded the songs this new version is now singing. God, I was pissed off when I read this. Comments were closed so I could not write anything.:scowl::thumbsdown::(

EagleInKansas
11-28-2017, 06:08 PM
I agree with you, NKIT. While I hold the (unpopular) opinion that this version of the group is quite good, enjoyable, and worth my time, there is no way that it is better than the Eagles with Glenn Frey. Hard to believe that any respected critic would write that based on his viewing of one emotional, poignant reunion show.

It's tough when people write or say something complimentary that is so absurdly false that it puts others in position to speak negatively about something that they like. I like this band. But it's not the same, and it's not better.

Freypower
11-28-2017, 06:21 PM
I don't know if Lefsetz ia a 'respected' critic. He is a Henley fanboy. I have never read anything written by him I could take seriously for a second.

WalshFan88
11-28-2017, 08:56 PM
Another "never assume the casual fan has a clue" moment:

Colleague: Hey, did you hear the Eagles are touring? I know you're a big fan!

Me: [thinking] Here we go again.... How many times are people going to come up to me with this "news".... [deep breath, begin recitation] Yeah, I know a group calling themselves the Eagles are touring but I don't think Don Henley should have continued the band after Glenn Frey died and I'm not going to any of the shows.

Him: Don Henley?

Me: [thinking] Seriously? [aloud] Don Henley was the other main singer in the Eagles. He's the one that's still alive.

Him: Oh, OK. Sorry, I didn't know who was who. Anyway I see you're a purist!

Me: Um. Yeah. I guess you could say that.

----------------

It's all about the brand.

Yep. Exactly.

WalshFan88
11-28-2017, 09:00 PM
Bob Lefsetz is an @sshole. He's proven that time and time again, even prompting Taylor Swift (not a fan but I've heard) to write a song about his bullying "letters".

He's dreaming if he thinks in any way Vince and Deacon are better than Glenn. That's a sick twisted joke. I agree with FP that he's likely a Henley fanboy. Still, you're a journalist (I use that phrase lightly with Bob), and you are not supposed to be biased. It makes me very mad that he would dare say anything like that.

Freypower
11-28-2017, 09:29 PM
Bob Lefsetz is an @sshole. He's proven that time and time again, even prompting Taylor Swift (not a fan but I've heard) to write a song about his bullying "letters".

He's dreaming if he thinks in any way Vince and Deacon are better than Glenn. That's a sick twisted joke. I agree with FP that he's likely a Henley fanboy. Still, you're a journalist (I use that phrase lightly with Bob), and you are not supposed to be biased. It makes me very mad that he would dare say anything like that.

Remember what he wrote about LROOE? Apparently that album was only made by one person.

http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/2007/10/11/too-busy-being-fabulous/

http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/2007/10/13/long-road-out-of-eden/

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=559

WalshFan88
11-28-2017, 09:40 PM
Remember what he wrote about LROOE? Apparently that album was only made by one person.

http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/2007/10/11/too-busy-being-fabulous/

http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/2007/10/13/long-road-out-of-eden/

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=559

Just more proof he has his nose up Henley's behind.

sodascouts
11-28-2017, 10:42 PM
I first subscribed to his email listserv back in 2005. Over the years, he's written some good stuff, but by now he's definitely past his peak.

And FP is right - he's a total Henley fanboy.

He's not a journalist, though, nor does he pretend to be in the sense of "CNN news". He gives his opinion about a variety of topics, mostly related in some way to the music industry, when he's not talking about himself. No objectivity required.

As NKIT said, the piece being referred to here was about going to Joe Walsh's birthday party, and it was such an obnoxious extended humblebrag that I actually thought about writing a scornful reply (I have written replies to him, over the years, perhaps half a dozen times). Here's a representative excerpt (you can read the whole thing on his blog (http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/2017/11/26/joe-walshs-70th-birthday-party/)):
"...I looked around and realized the room was a who’s who. Everybody from Bill Maher to Paul Allen. From Jerry Moss to Sherry Lansing. From Jim Keltner to Jeff Lynne. From Tom Hanks to Richard Lewis. Everybody was recognizable. That’s what fame will deliver, the inner circle, somewhere we all want to be and rarely get access to.

I felt privileged to be in attendance. Especially when people knew who I was. Joe’s wife Marjorie came up to me and my natural instinct was to state my name, to explain who I was, that I was not an interloper, and she said of course she knew who I was, they were big fans.

So maybe I’m inside. Or half in and half out.

And it’s been a long way to the top of rock and roll."
Yes, of COURSE they know who you are, Bob! It's just that you're so terribly MODEST, you didn't realize how everyone who's anyone admires you! Aw, shucks! Well, we're all clued in to that fact now! I loved hearing about how special the celebrities think you are and the names of everyone who talked to you. Thank you for letting us know that now, you're at "the top."

He has a right to his opinion, of course. I imagine him gazing lovingly at Don Henley singing "Desperado" and thinking how he can't wait to get back home and write how the Classic was the best! show! ever! and now without Glenn to get in Don's way and Don completely dominant it's the best! lineup! ever! and isn't Don Henley just the best! singer! ever!

Gag me.

New Kid In Town
11-28-2017, 10:43 PM
Just more proof he has his nose up Henley's behind.

And Irving's.........

He was so full of himself in that story it was disgusting.

Dawn
11-28-2017, 11:00 PM
I first subscribed to his email listserv back in 2005. Over the years, he's written some good stuff, but by now he's definitely past his peak.

And FP is right - he's a total Henley fanboy.

He's not a journalist, though, nor does he pretend to be in the sense of "CNN news". He's gives his opinion about a variety of topics, mostly related in some way to the music industry, when he's not talking about himself. No objectivity required.

As NKIT said on the prior page, the piece being referred to here was about going to Joe Walsh's birthday party, and it was such an obnoxious extended humblebrag that I actually thought about writing a scornful reply (I have written replies to him, over the years, perhaps half a dozen times). Here's a representative excerpt (you can read the whole thing on his blog (http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/2017/11/26/joe-walshs-70th-birthday-party/)):
"...I looked around and realized the room was a who’s who. Everybody from Bill Maher to Paul Allen. From Jerry Moss to Sherry Lansing. From Jim Keltner to Jeff Lynne. From Tom Hanks to Richard Lewis. Everybody was recognizable. That’s what fame will deliver, the inner circle, somewhere we all want to be and rarely get access to.

I felt privileged to be in attendance. Especially when people knew who I was. Joe’s wife Marjorie came up to me and my natural instinct was to state my name, to explain who I was, that I was not an interloper, and she said of course she knew who I was, they were big fans.

So maybe I’m inside. Or half in and half out.

And it’s been a long way to the top of rock and roll."
Yes, of COURSE they know who you are, Bob! It's just that you're so terribly MODEST, you didn't realize how everyone who's anyone admires you! Aw, shucks! Well, we're all clued in to that fact now! I loved hearing about how special the celebrities think you are and the names of everyone who talked to you. Thank you for letting us know that now, you're at "the top."

He has a right to his opinion, of course. I imagine him gazing lovingly at Don Henley singing "Desperado" and thinking how he can't wait to get back home and write how the Classic was the best! show! ever! and now without Glenn to get in Don's way and Don completely dominant it's the best! lineup! ever! and isn't Don Henley just the best! singer! ever!

Gag me.

OMG, this is truly gagworthy.

WalshFan88
11-29-2017, 12:01 AM

Gag me.

The thought of that disgusts me. Gag me is right. :scowl:

Funk 50
11-29-2017, 02:53 PM
Well Marjorie and Joe seem to respect Lefsetz enough to invite him to Joe's birthday party .... and as he has actually attended a recent Eagles concert, his opinion carries a lot more weight than many posting (and moderating) here :)

New Kid In Town
11-29-2017, 03:42 PM
Oh Funk Please, you really can't believe this new version of the Eagles is better than the 70's group who wrote/created all the songs the new version is singing. JMHO, but Lefsetz is an ass kisser who could not be more wrong.

YoungEaglesFan
11-29-2017, 03:46 PM
I agree. Just because someone is popular and well liked doesn’t make their own opinions more valid. Their arguments and what they say does. Based on some of the things I’ve read of his, I do not consider him to be a good objective writer.

New Kid In Town
11-29-2017, 03:52 PM
I agree. Just because someone is popular and well liked doesn’t make their own opinions more valid. Their arguments and what they say does. Based on some of the things I’ve read of his, I do not consider him to be a good objective writer.

YEF - Amen ! I have nothing against people who enjoy this new version of the Eagles, but to say it is better the the original guys who created and sang it all is just crazy.

YoungEaglesFan
11-29-2017, 04:00 PM
YEF - Amen ! I have nothing against people who enjoy this new version of the Eagles, but to say it is better the the original guys who created and sang it all is just crazy.

As someone who supports the New Eagles lineup, I agree. I’d do anything to see them back in the prime lineup. You’d have to be insane to think that Vince Gill is such an upgrade over Glenn to overcome the loss of Felder, Randy, and to overcome the natural decay due to age. No one such take his opinion on the Eagles seriously

Freypower
11-29-2017, 04:32 PM
Well Marjorie and Joe seem to respect Lefsetz enough to invite him to Joe's birthday party .... and as he has actually attended a recent Eagles concert, his opinion carries a lot more weight than many posting (and moderating) here :)

Does it really.

I think you miss the entire point of what people have been saying, but then you basically agree with Lefsetz, so of course you prefer his views over the 'many' posting (AND MODERATING.... nice little dig there) here.

'He went & saw them! He says they're better! He must be right'! :eyebrow::yuck:

Anyway, for what it's worth, this is his alleged tribute to Glenn. Glenn himself is barely mentioned except as some sort of abstract.

http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/2016/01/20/glenn-frey/

WalshFan88
11-29-2017, 04:41 PM

That’s comical F50. Seriously. Not even worth a full reply.

sodascouts
11-29-2017, 07:33 PM
I think the only reason Funk 50 believes Lefsetz's opinion carries more weight is that it happens to agree with his own. There aren't that many who will go so far as to say the "Eagles" are better off without Glenn Frey. In fact, so far, Funk 50 and Lefsetz are the only two I know of.

WalshFan88
11-29-2017, 07:44 PM
I think the only reason Funk 50 believes Lefsetz's opinion carries more weight is that it happens to agree with his own. There aren't that many who will go so far as to say the "Eagles" are better off without Glenn Frey. In fact, so far, Funk 50 and Lefsetz are the only two I know of.

There might be more in the wild but I agree. Even most of the people for this would agree it was better with Glenn.

New Kid In Town
11-29-2017, 10:01 PM
Originally Posted by sodascouts https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/images/vc/buttons//viewpost.gif (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?p=367418#post367418)
Originally Posted by WF
There might be more in the wild but I agree. Even most of the people for this would agree it was better with Glenn.

I thought it was interesting that the page was closed to making any comments. Obviously he does not want to hear the truth.:thumbsdown::mad:

chaim
11-29-2017, 11:16 PM
I'm sure Lefsetz's opinion would count just as much if he hated the current lineup - he would be invited to everyone's birthday party. I just had to say this one thing. I don't care for this Lefsetz. Don't love him or hate him.

Dawn
11-30-2017, 12:02 AM
Lefsetz makes me wanna :brickwall:

Dawn
11-30-2017, 12:06 AM
Originally Posted by sodascouts https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/images/vc/buttons//viewpost.gif (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?p=367418#post367418)
Originally Posted by WF

I thought it was interesting that the page was closed to making any comments. Obviously he does not want to hear the truth.:thumbsdown::mad:

Well he sure is impressed with himself. :fear:

Philh
11-30-2017, 09:03 AM
Additional tour dates for North America 2018 have now been announced.

Funk 50
11-30-2017, 10:11 AM

I haven't seen the latest configuration of Eagles and probably never will, so I'm happy to defer judgement to people who have seen them both with and without Glenn.

My much miss quoted comment that caused such shock to the Frey fanatics was that I hoped that the Eagles would be better without Glenn. I've never said that they were.

I've seen nothing that may suggest that they are better barring a comment from a reviewer saying that they sounded revitalized. If they are revitalized enough for me to get a ticket to see them live, given the chance, I'll probably share an educated opinion then but I'm a Walsh fan so it wont be unbiased.

Currently the band seem to see themselves as a nostalgia act so I'm not really interested. :unimpressed:

Brooke
11-30-2017, 01:30 PM
I haven't seen the latest configuration of Eagles and probably never will, so I'm happy to defer judgement to people who have seen them both with and without Glenn.

My much miss quoted comment that caused such shock to the Frey fanatics was that I hoped that the Eagles would be better without Glenn. I've never said that they were.

I've seen nothing that may suggest that they are better barring a comment from a reviewer saying that they sounded revitalized. If they are revitalized enough for me to get a ticket to see them live, given the chance, I'll probably share an educated opinion then but I'm a Walsh fan so it wont be unbiased.

Currently the band seem to see themselves as a nostalgia act so I'm not really interested. :unimpressed:

Why would you HOPE that they would be better without Glenn? I just don't understand that comment.

Freypower
11-30-2017, 05:06 PM

You said Lefsetz' opinion carried a lot more weight than the opinions of those of us on this board who will never believe this band can be 'better' without Glenn. Now you talk about them being 'revitalised' i.e. they are revitalised because Glenn is no longer there.

You are entitled to your view but like Brooke I cannot begin to understand your attitude.

Funk 50
11-30-2017, 05:34 PM
Why would you HOPE that they would be better without Glenn? I just don't understand that comment.

Pardon my optimism but every concert I attend, I hope will be the best I've attended. If I attend another Eagles concert, I hope it'll be the best I've ever attended, if Eagles make a new album, I hope it'll be better than my current favourites Hotel California and Long Road Out Of Eden.

I was very disappointed that Randy wasn't included in the HFO line up but they were fantastic without him. I wouldn't dismiss the posibility of them being great without Glenn, although I'm pretty underwhelmed with what I've seen so far.

Freypower
11-30-2017, 06:10 PM
Pardon my optimism but every concert I attend, I hope will be the best I've attended. If I attend another Eagles concert, I hope it'll be the best I've ever attended, if Eagles make a new album, I hope it'll be better than my current favourites Hotel California and Long Road Out Of Eden.

I was very disappointed that Randy wasn't included in the HFO line up but they were fantastic without him. I wouldn't dismiss the posibility of them being great without Glenn, although I'm pretty underwhelmed with what I've seen so far.

Well that is where we differ.

Most of us do not believe for a second that they can be 'great' without Glenn. They can be a cover band. As for making an album, if such a scenario was to occur, you know very well it would be a Don Henley solo album in all but name. You'd have your token Walsh & Schmit tracks. You'd have your token Gill track & perhaps a token Deacon Frey track. How that could possibly be 'better' I have no idea. There is a great difference between 'hoping' for something and looking at the grim reality of it.

The situation with Randy is entirely diifferent as he had left the band in 1977. He also did not have the large number of songwriting credits & lead vocals Glenn had. You just echo the uninformed view that anyone can sing & play Glenn's parts & it doesn't matter; hell, it could even be 'better'. It's just unfair. It's wrong to be so dismissive of Glenn's talents. But whatever. I've gone over this so often that I can't continue to do it.

YoungEaglesFan
11-30-2017, 09:21 PM

I really don’t see why they would put Randy in the HFO lineup. They had Timothy. He left and was replaced. I prefer Randy but it made sense. Randy also didn’t settle down like the others did. He is still drinking a lot and has issues. I think Tim was a great guy for the second half of the band

Dawn
11-30-2017, 11:09 PM

Most of us do not believe for a second that they can be 'great' without Glenn. They can be a cover band. As for making an album, if such a scenario was to occur, you know very well it would be a Don Henley solo album in all but name. You'd have your token Walsh & Schmit tracks. You'd have your token Gill track & perhaps a token Deacon Frey track. How that could possibly be 'better' I have no idea. There is a great difference between 'hoping' for something and looking at the grim reality of it.

The situation with Randy is entirely diifferent as he had left the band in 1977. He also did not have the large number of songwriting credits & lead vocals Glenn had. You just echo the uninformed view that anyone can sing & play Glenn's parts & it doesn't matter; hell, it could even be 'better'. It's just unfair. It's wrong to be so dismissive of Glenn's talents. But whatever. I've gone over this so often that I can't continue to do it.

I so agree FP.

From the very beginning Glenn Frey was the one with the charismatic personality leading the charge. Without Glenn, quite simply, there would be no Eagles.

chaim
11-30-2017, 11:16 PM
Anyway, even though she doesn't like the current lineup Soda's opinion must count, because - although she wasn't invited to the party - Glenn called her on the phone.

Dawn
12-01-2017, 01:00 AM
Anyway, even though she doesn't like the current lineup Soda's opinion must count, because - although she wasn't invited to the party - Glenn called her on the phone.

Yes he did. :partytime:

WalshFan88
12-01-2017, 02:09 AM
It doesn't surprise me that F50 would "hope" the Eagles would be better without Glenn. It's pretty easy to discern from his posts on this board that he isn't a Glenn fan and he doesn't like Glenn's fans either. I don't get it. It's quite like someone saying they aren't a Glenn fan anymore because they don't like the comments we've made. It's a poor excuse, IMO. Likely they never were a fan.

Glenn was the Eagles to me when it came right down to the wire. The sum is greater than the parts but I feel he was the MVP of the band. While I wouldn't see them without Glenn or Don, for me anyway it always felt like it was Glenn's band and while Glenn and Don made band decisions, it was always Glenn's band and I feel that to be the case. But still, no Glenn OR Don = no "Eagles" IMO. Period.

Funk 50
12-01-2017, 05:58 AM

....Most of us do not believe for a second that they can be 'great' without Glenn..... .

I'm glad that "most of us" doesn't include the rest of the band, which currently includes his son, Deacon.

I became an Eagles fan in the late 70s, when Henley was far more prominent than Frey. I became a Frey fan during his solo career, so I've been a GF fan for a long time. I'm sure most of his fans are fine too but there is an unpleasant minority who seem to judge everybody, simply by how much they praise Glenn and are pretty hostile to those that don't reach the mark. :-(

BillBailey1976
12-01-2017, 07:17 AM

I think its like if you go to see a sequel of a movie. You go see it BECAUSE you liked the first, and it's only natural that since you're paying your hard earned money to go, that you'd hope its as good or better.
I've never gone to a movie or concert and said, I hope this one is not as good as the last one.
I think that's natural. It doesn't mean it will be, but if that's what was meant by HOPING, I would concur.

Brooke
12-01-2017, 01:57 PM
I think its like if you go to see a sequel of a movie. You go see it BECAUSE you liked the first, and it's only natural that since you're paying your hard earned money to go, that you'd hope its as good or better.
I've never gone to a movie or concert and said, I hope this one is not as good as the last one.
I think that's natural. It doesn't mean it will be, but if that's what was meant by HOPING, I would concur.

BB, thank you for that comment. I can understand what you are saying.

For me, the Eagles are done because their leader has left. They would have also been done if it would have been Don H that had died. Without either of them, the Eagles are gone. I have no desire to seen the new group. I hope all of you that want to see them enjoys it. It's just not for me. I hold no grudges against any of you that like it.

Freypower
12-01-2017, 05:28 PM
I'm glad that "most of us" doesn't include the rest of the band, which currently includes his son, Deacon.

I became an Eagles fan in the late 70s, when Henley was far more prominent than Frey. I became a Frey fan during his solo career, so I've been a GF fan for a long time. I'm sure most of his fans are fine too but there is an unpleasant minority who seem to judge everybody, simply by how much they praise Glenn and are pretty hostile to those that don't reach the mark. :-(

Give it a rest. I was talking about the fans, not what you laughingly call 'the band'. In any case, quite frankly I doubt that even 'the band' would claim that they are now 'better' without him, although nothing would surprise me any more. In any case, I am no more obliged to support what you call 'the band' and their alleged feelings than you are to pretend you had any time for Glenn.

It is not that Glenn's fans want everybody to praise him all the time but we take exception to comments about how the 'band' is better without him. You have done nothing but put him down since he died. You've done all this 'new lease of life! New material! Better live!' stuff ad nauseam since day one. I can't even remember you writing anything in the Gone But Not Forgotten thread.* You have said his death didn't affect you. Well, OK, but you could at least show some consideration towards those it did affect.

*Yes, you did, to be fair, on page 47. You mainly focused on 'losing our first Eagle'. You offered 'condolences to the super Glenn Frey fans'. I will leave it there.

WalshFan88
12-01-2017, 07:59 PM

I can see where you are coming from BB, but taking into consideration the things he's posted on this forum about Glenn and his fans, I feel it was likely to try to rile up Frey fans, like he continues to do time and time again for his own benefit.

WalshFan88
12-02-2017, 03:39 AM

FP is right.

Give it a rest. Do I think you will, not for a second. It would be nice, though.

The bolded part is simply untrue. We just are against this band continuing, and are Glenn fans period, and that apparently bothers you for whatever the reason.

It's not like we are going around asking "Have you praised Glenn today?" and tallying how many say yes and those that don't get shunned. It's ridiculous.

BillBailey1976
12-02-2017, 08:21 AM
It seems that I wake up everyday with a different attitude or opinion on 3.0
There are some days that I get excited thinking about them coming to Knoxville, and hoping they will, then some days, I just can't imagine them without Glenn....and again on others, I will watch a clip and think....hey they do still sound great, different, but great, and others, I think ....this is not the Eagles.....
I find myself defending and attacking the continuation in my own head all the time.

So, I am very torn. So, if I ever post things about the new group vs. old group that seem like contradictions....they probably are..because my mind (as far as the Eagles go) is in a state of constant contradiction.

chaim
12-02-2017, 08:31 AM
It seems that I wake up everyday with a different attitude or opinion on 3.0
There are some days that I get excited thinking about them coming to Knoxville, and hoping they will, then some days, I just can't imagine them without Glenn....and again on others, I will watch a clip and think....hey they do still sound great, different, but great, and others, I think ....this is not the Eagles.....
I find myself defending and attacking the continuation in my own head all the time.

So, I am very torn. So, if I ever post things about the new group vs. old group that seem like contradictions....they probably are..because my mind (as far as the Eagles go) is in a state of constant contradiction.

I had similar thoughts when I noticed that sometimes I don't mind that the band seems very excited and sometimes it bothers me. I mean "worryingly" excited.

sodascouts
12-02-2017, 10:19 AM

Perhaps that's the way you see it, but the way Funk 50 phrased it...

well, let's return to your earlier analogy about remarriage. While admittedly it's not the same, on an emotional level.... let's keep in mind he posted this right after Glenn died.

Using your analogy, it's like:

"Too bad your husband died. I hope your life will be better now and your next marriage will be an improvement on that one."

Leaves a bad taste in one's mouth.

sodascouts
12-02-2017, 10:40 AM

You knew quite well you would upset his fans with that remark. You enjoy riling up his fans. It's been that way since you joined the board.

He had just died, though.

Most people would have had the decency to put the trolling on hold for a little while, at least. Instead, you twisted the knife.

So portray yourself as a misunderstood victim if you want; some will believe you. I remember what you really are.

chaim
12-02-2017, 11:50 AM
Yep, the timing was disastrous IMHO.

Magnolia
12-03-2017, 02:29 AM
I rarely post in this topic since I'm in support of the current band but I do want to make one thing clear after reading some of the posts here. While I will go see them on their next tour, I KNOW they won't be better than when Glenn was alive and in the band. When they lost Glenn, they lost a spark that could never be replaced or replicated. I go see them because I missed out on seeing them when Glenn was alive.

To me, (and even though I became a fan after his death) the Eagles are Glenn's band and I see them continuing as a way to honor Glenn's legacy. I know some people won't agree with me and that's okay. I understand people on here are upset that the band is continuing without Glenn and I would never think of telling them they are wrong for thinking the band ended with Glenn's death. That's their opinion and they are entitled to it just like I'm entitled to mine.

In my mind, Glenn is still very much a big part of the Eagles even though he's no longer with us.
(Wow, I didn't realize I had that much to say.:blush:)

UndertheWire
12-03-2017, 12:25 PM
Has anyone seen the episode of Roadies that is about a Lefsetz character? Presumably, it shows Cameron Crowe's view of the relationship between the music business and Lefsetz and it's not flattering for either party.

Funk50 has always liked to stir things up but he's also been consistent in expressing a desire to hear new music from Eagles and its members, especially Joe Walsh, even before Glenn died. I can understand why he would see any change as having the potential to deliver new music but my guess is that he's disappointed with what he's heard so far.

I hate all the infighting about whether the band should continue. I can't tell people how to feel and so I've been thinking about my own reactions.

I saw a version of Eagles for the first time in 2013. It was closest I could get to the band of my youth as, with Bernie, it had three of the four original members. It was a great experience an although I would have loved to see Randy, I was satisfied. I saw the same tour once more and reached the conclusion that I was now more interested in seeing solo performances, preferably in smaller venues with lower prices. I even saw a tribute band which had the advantages not only of low price, small venue and convenience but also of a more varied setlist.

After Glenn died, I felt that Don Henley was right to say the band was over and I couldn't believe that there were people who thought they should continue without Glenn. When the rumours of Classic West began, I was slightly angry and upset but at the same time, I wanted to see and hear Deacon. I know he's not his father, but I wanted to know if he'd inherited some of the talents.

At some point, I decided to let the hurt go. There's nothing I can do to change it and many of Glenn's friends and family seem to be supporting the continuation of the band so who am I to oppose it?

I found I was able to enjoy the anticipation for the Classic West and East shows. I watched the clips, read the reviews and looked at the pictures. I like Deacon - he's like and unlike his father - but he's just singing the same old songs. I no longer bother to follow the shows and I've no interest in seeing them.

New Kid In Town
12-03-2017, 01:21 PM
UTW - Thank you for your always thoughtful post. I don't know if you saw the other thread, but the top price for the upcoming concerts are over $1,600.00(US for one ticket) and apparently there is no VIP package so that is the actual price. That is pretty much the same price they were for MSG for the HOTE Tour. And, that is with two "non-members" for Glenn. They are really taking advantage of people's emotions at this point with those prices.

YoungEaglesFan
12-03-2017, 01:55 PM
The prices are a bit high but they are doing smaller venues than before, have some other acts with them. I hate to play this card but if people pay for them then they are basically worth that much. But the band should just lower the prices down as a whole but that would be me expecting them to take less money which isn’t exactly a fair thing of me to expect of them.

New Kid In Town
12-03-2017, 02:18 PM
The prices are a bit high but they are doing smaller venues than before, have some other acts with them. I hate to play this card but if people pay for them then they are basically worth that much. But the band should just lower the prices down as a whole but that would be me expecting them to take less money which isn’t exactly a fair thing of me to expect of them.

YEF - I agree that if people are willing to pay those prices then they will keep charging that price for tickets. However, over $1,600.00 for one front section seat is just crazy in MHO. As I don't live in the areas of the country where they are playing, I did not know they were playing in smaller venues. I thought it was stadiums and arenas. I still think they are taking advantage of people's emotions charging those prices.

YoungEaglesFan
12-03-2017, 02:21 PM
YEF - I agree that if people are willing to pay those prices then they will keep charging that price for tickets. However, over $1,600.00 for one front section seat is just crazy in MHO. As I don't live in the areas of the country where they are playing, I did not know they were playing in smaller venues. I thought it was stadiums and arenas. I still think they are taking advantage of people's emotions charging those prices.

I meant Arenas vs stadiums. Which accounts for some of the higher prices. The lowest prices should be higher but I agree the highest tickets should not cost that much.

Dawn
12-03-2017, 03:56 PM
UTW - Thank you for your always thoughtful post. I don't know if you saw the other thread, but the top price for the upcoming concerts are over $1,600.00(US for one ticket) and apparently there is no VIP package so that is the actual price. That is pretty much the same price they were for MSG for the HOTE Tour. And, that is with two "non-members" for Glenn. They are really taking advantage of people's emotions at this point with those prices.

Yes they are. Worse still, many fans still have to pay for parking, hotels, air travel, rental cars, food and beverages etc.

WalshFan88
12-04-2017, 01:02 AM
The price thing is crazy.

I remember what my HOTE seat was and compared it price wise to the same venue and it was way more.

So you are paying more for less...that's just so wrong IMO. I'll take my HOTE and LROOE shows and cherish them forever. I guess if you've never seen them you'd have nothing to compare it to but I prefer to end things on an good note memory wise.

Dawn
12-04-2017, 04:52 AM

I remember what my HOTE seat was and compared it price wise to the same venue and it was way more.

So you are paying more for less...that's just so wrong IMO. I'll take my HOTE and LROOE shows and cherish them forever. I guess if you've never seen them you'd have nothing to compare it to but I prefer to end things on an good note memory wise.

i second that emotion.

Excerpt from Bernie Leadon tribute to Glenn Frey.

So I am very grateful today that this was my last interaction with Glenn, and that we did achieve what he said he was aiming for, to 'go out on a high note'.

UndertheWire
12-04-2017, 06:19 AM
That suits me, too. I'm pleased that I don't have to track tours and worry about ticket prices.

However, just as I was satisfied with seeing the band without Randy, I can understand why people would want to see this version as it's the best available at this time. I'm sure it's a good show, just not one I'd pay high prices to see.

BillBailey1976
12-04-2017, 02:40 PM

My wife and I came to that same decision. We won't pay more for this lineup. No way. I'd go for less...mayyyybeeeee the same...but not more.

Dawn
12-04-2017, 06:09 PM
Is Azoff doing another Classic next year?

Dawn
12-04-2017, 06:43 PM
Still looking to see how much money the Classic 2016 tour made. Has anyone seen any reports?

sodascouts
12-05-2017, 04:31 PM
if people pay for them then they are basically worth that much.

Well, it's the truth. They're worth what people will pay. Nobody's being forced to buy the tickets.

However, the whole "Glenn died... see us now before it's too late" marketing is the big reason why they can charge so much. Ask almost anyone who's shelling out. "I didn't get to see them as much as I wanted to before Glenn died... I now realize I need to..."

And they're taking advantage of that by jacking up prices.

As I said before, it leaves a bad taste in one's mouth.

EagleInKansas
12-05-2017, 06:18 PM
Legitimate question -- is there any specific marketing campaign or strategy you've seen that indicates the Eagles are going the "see us now before it's too late" route? Seems the opposite, with hints they may go 3-4 more years.

If you're tying the ticket prices to that marketing plan, I suppose I could see that. A high ticket price indicates the concert is a big deal, or can't miss, and that people should spend the money.

But the Eagles have successfully played the "this may be it for us" card even while Glenn was in the band, often much more explicitly than they're doing now. I believe the ticket price is partly for seeing Vince Gill -- not as a replacement for Glenn, per se, but as a superstar in his field. He is a draw for fans of multiple genres.

YoungEaglesFan
12-05-2017, 08:05 PM
Well, it's the truth. They're worth what people will pay. Nobody's being forced to buy the tickets.

However, the whole "Glenn died... see us now before it's too late" marketing is the big reason why they can charge so much. Ask almost anyone who's shelling out. "I didn't get to see them as much as I wanted to before Glenn died... I now realize I need to..."

If that’s the reason why then I agree. I don’t know why the prices are like that. You’re probably right

Freypower
12-05-2017, 08:19 PM
Regarding the billing, it's 'Eagles'. None of this 'with DF & VG' stuff. One of my FB friends is going to the Minneapolis show & posted the event details.

https://www.facebook.com/events/367837340329741/

I will only say that the real Eagles never needed to boost their ticket sales with the inclusion of some country musician. I don't know what 'multiple genres' the guy draws but it is a sad indictment of this thing that he could be regarded as the drawcard.

WalshFan88
12-05-2017, 09:02 PM
I will only say that the real Eagles never needed to boost their ticket sales with the inclusion of some country musician. I don't know what 'multiple genres' the guy draws but it is a sad indictment of this thing that he could be regarded as the drawcard.

Thank you.

Vince isn't packing stadiums and big arenas. On his own, he plays theaters and opera houses and maybe the occasional festival. He's not a huge star with a wide multi-generational following. He's a classic country singer and that's his market. Even then, I don't think people give two craps about him being there or not because he's Vince Gill. It has nothing to do with his history of body of work.

I have nothing against the guy (other than the things I've mentioned about his eagerness to replace Glenn), but he doesn't have that big of a draw IMO. He's a successful country artist and seems like a solid guy. But I don't think he has that much pull as to be the reason people go to the show or justify the prices nor do I think he's the reason for the high prices. He's great, but not that great, AFAIC.

New Kid In Town
12-05-2017, 09:05 PM
FP - I think they keep changing the billing. One announcement that came up on my FB page said "The Eagles With Vince Gill and Deacon Fry". I have also seen it billed as simply "Eagles". So, who knows. I can't figure out why they change it from one thing to the other.

I think if Don or Irving was asked why the are charging so much they would use Vince as an excuse. However, like I said before, I think they are just taking advantage of people's emotions. From the comments I have read under each new announcement most say they have to see them now before it's too late.

I have never been a fan of country music so I only know what I have read about Vince, mostly here. He seems like a nice guy and is very talented. But, is he that popular he would fill arenas and make it worth paying more than they charged for the HOTE Tour ?

Freypower
12-05-2017, 09:49 PM
FP - I think they keep changing the billing. One announcement that came up on my FB page said "The Eagles With Vince Gill and Deacon Fry". I have also seen it billed as simply "Eagles". So, who knows. I can't figure out why they change it from one thing to the other.

I think if Don or Irving was asked why the are charging so much they would use Vince as an excuse. However, like I said before, I think they are just taking advantage of people's emotions. From the comments I have read under each new announcement most say they have to see them now before it's too late.

I have never been a fan of country music so I only know what I have read about Vince, mostly here. He seems like a nice guy and is very talented. But, is he that popular he would fill arenas and make it worth paying more than they charged for the HOTE Tour ?

When they make announcements they still bill it as 'with DF & VG'. But when it comes to the actual event details, see the link I posted above. There is no 'with' about it.

The very person I mentioned in my previous post is now urging her friends to 'see them now! You may never get another chance'!!!

I am going to be blunt here. I normally don't resort to strong language on this board, but I will this time. I call bullshit.

YoungEaglesFan
12-05-2017, 10:20 PM
When they make announcements they still bill it as 'with DF & VG'. But when it comes to the actual event details, see the link I posted above. There is no 'with' about it.

The very person I mentioned in my previous post is now urging her friends to 'see them now! You may never get another chance'!!!

I am going to be blunt here. I normally don't resort to strong language on this board, but I will this time. I call bullshit.

Just a question but is it feasible to have their announcements list Deacon and Vince as guests on all of them? I don’t know how big and how much information they normally put on their announcements

Freypower
12-05-2017, 11:16 PM
Just a question but is it feasible to have their announcements list Deacon and Vince as guests on all of them? I don’t know how big and how much information they normally put on their announcements

No, of course it isn't. Practicality is all, even I know that. So forget the pretence, eh, chaps?

Dawn
12-06-2017, 02:01 AM
I can only speak for myself but without Glenn Frey, I no longer consider the Eagles as an iconic legendary "band". Rather, I see the "Eagles" as a show.

Dawn
12-06-2017, 02:05 AM

A very bad taste indeed.

chaim
12-06-2017, 04:13 AM
I must say it surprises me how many "must see them before it's too late" people there are. I'm not sure where it comes from, this "really, definitely, absolutely the last and final chance to get to see them!!!" phenomenon. Well, for me it's already too late anyway. I guess Paul and Ringo could tour together as "The beatles" and I could see "The beatles" before it's too late, besides I didn't get to see them in the 60's. Well I guess that was a dumb thing to say, haha.

As for the ticket prices...I know nothing about that stuff. Is it necessarily the band's decision to charge more? Could it be Ticketmaster and an "economy has changed" kind of thing? Either way, from a fan's perspective I would find it ridiculous to may more for this.

EagleInKansas
12-06-2017, 12:05 PM
Legitimate question -- is there any specific marketing campaign or strategy you've seen that indicates the Eagles are going the "see us now before it's too late" route? Seems the opposite, with hints they may go 3-4 more years.

Question never answered, attacks continued. Lovely, as always. Of course, the answer to the question is "no."

chaim
12-06-2017, 12:08 PM
Question never answered, attacks continued. Lovely, as always. Of course, the answer to the question is "no."

If you count me in this "attacks continued" group, you are mistaken. I said: "I'm not sure where it comes from, this 'really, definitely, absolutely the last and final chance to get to see them!!!' phenomenon." This means that as far as I know the band has not said so.

Dawn
12-06-2017, 01:07 PM
I can only speak for myself but without Glenn Frey, I no longer consider the Eagles as an iconic legendary "band". Rather, I see the "Eagles" as a show.

Clearly people who have never seen the Eagles prior to Glenn Frey being replaced have already missed out.

What they are seeing now is a show with one original member, two long time sidemen and two Glenn Frey replacements.

Freypower
12-06-2017, 04:15 PM

The perception does appear to be amongst some fans that the 'see them now before it's too late' is a factor, to which I responded rather caustically, because it's obvious they are going to continue. No, they haven't sold it that way themselves, but that is the way it is being perceived, like it or not. All they have done themselves is annonunce a tour for which they are apparently charging what would appear to be excessive prices given what is being presented.

People who object to this exercise are going to continue 'attacking' it. That is what this thread is for. Also, a couple of us did address your suggestion that the high prices could be due to Gill's status.

YoungEaglesFan
12-06-2017, 04:54 PM
Clearly people who have never seen the Eagles prior to Glenn Frey being replaced have already missed out.

What they are seeing now is a show with one original member, two long time sidemen and two Glenn Frey replacements.

I don’t think it’s fair to call Joe and Tim long time sidemen

TimBFan
12-06-2017, 05:07 PM
I saw the Eagles in June, 1980 at Kemper Arena with Christopher Cross as their opening act. Digging around on the internet, the ticket prices were evidently $10 - $12.50, not that I remember. But I still remember the instant Glenn walked onstage wearing a Winsteads T-shirt, a local burger place. The crowd went nuts. It was one of those epic concerts you never forget. They’ve been here countless times after that, and I’m sad to say I missed them all for various reasons.

Will I go see them if they stop in my hometown again? Absolutely, but I understand i would be seeing a variation of the band I’ve always loved. It won’t be the same, but I still want to hear Don sing his trademark songs, as well as Timothy and Joe. I think it’s wrong on many levels to charge $1600 a ticket. I get emails from Sprint Center and Starlight Theater all the time announcing new concerts and I’m always curious about the ticket prices. Dolly Parton had VIP tickets for seats in the first few rows, and along with the usual goodie bag items people could see a collection of costumes from years past but I don’t remember a m&g opportunity ... for $1295 a ticket. I wouldn’t pay that but I’m sure someone did and they probably had a great time.

Guessing that the guys must have reached an amicable salary to come back out on the road, and I’m happy if they are happy. But I find it sad that they scorch the fans with big ticket prices.

BillBailey1976
12-06-2017, 05:22 PM
I saw the Eagles in June, 1980 at Kemper Arena with Christopher Cross as their opening act. Digging around on the internet, the ticket prices were evidently $10 - $12.50, not that I remember. But I still remember the instant Glenn walked onstage wearing a Winsteads T-shirt, a local burger place. The crowd went nuts. It was one of those epic concerts you never forget. They’ve been here countless times after that, and I’m sad to say I missed them all for various reasons.

Will I go see them if they stop in my hometown again? Absolutely, but I understand i would be seeing a variation of the band I’ve always loved. It won’t be the same, but I still want to hear Don sing his trademark songs, as well as Timothy and Joe. I think it’s wrong on many levels to charge $1600 a ticket. I get emails from Sprint Center and Starlight Theater all the time announcing new concerts and I’m always curious about the ticket prices. Dolly Parton had VIP tickets for seats in the first few rows, and along with the usual goodie bag items people could see a collection of costumes from years past but I don’t remember a m&g opportunity ... for $1295 a ticket. I wouldn’t pay that but I’m sure someone did and they probably had a great time.

Guessing that the guys must have reached an amicable salary to come back out on the road, and I’m happy if they are happy. But I find it sad that they scorch the fans with big ticket prices.

It's funny that you mentioned ticket prices...I noticed in the booklet for the 40th Anniversary . HC, that there are a few ticket stubs. the prices there range from 8.50 to 12.50.
When I saw HFO, tickets were 35.00 each. Same venue for HOTE, same tickets were 65.00 (These were all nosebleeds btw. In fact at HOTE we were in the last row of a 20,000 seat basketball arena)
There were a few 40.00 tickets available for HOTE, but thanks to scalpers, I'm sure hardly anyone actually got to see the concert for that.

(Those prices for the tickets I had are face value. By the time you add everyone's fees on, they were about 15.00 per ticket more.)

Dawn
12-06-2017, 05:39 PM
I dislike the term "hired hands" as much as I do "sidemen" and don't think either is appropriate for Timothy and Joe, they are long time members of the Eagles but they are not original members. Don is the only original member left.

Dawn
12-06-2017, 05:43 PM
How do the prices for "Evening With The Eagles" compare with co-headlining a venue with Jimmy Buffet, James Taylor, Chris Stapleton? Are they about the same, higher or lower?

New Kid In Town
12-06-2017, 05:45 PM
I dislike the term "hired hands" as much as I do "sidemen" and don't think either is appropriate for Timothy and Joe, they are long time members of the Eagles but they are not original members. Don is the only original member left.

I whole totally agree. Joe joined the band in Dec.1975 and Tim in Sept/ Oct.1977. They are part of the Eagles and are not "sidemen". Vince and Deacon are a different story in MHO.

shunlvswx
12-06-2017, 05:47 PM
I know the tickets for New Orleans are between 46 and 398. I can't remember the prices in between. I remembered the second lowest ticket is 96 and then over 100, over 200 and then 398. I don't know the prices for Platinum (or whatever the heck its called) since you have to have a code for presale.

I think Tulsa is about close to New Orleans prices, but I don't know the prices. I don't know what the other prices are for the Evening With show since I don't really care about the other cities since I'm only going to New Orleans. I can't check right now because TM is blocked at work.

WalshFan88
12-06-2017, 05:48 PM

Well if you "knew" the answer to the question EIK, why did you ask it? In your opinion, you already knew the answer. Seems to me you just want to start things.

TimBFan
12-06-2017, 05:55 PM
It's funny that you mentioned ticket prices...I noticed in the booklet for the 40th Anniversary . HC, that there are a few ticket stubs. the prices there range from 8.50 to 12.50.
When I saw HFO, tickets were 35.00 each. Same venue for HOTE, same tickets were 65.00 (These were all nosebleeds btw. In fact at HOTE we were in the last row of a 20,000 seat basketball arena)
There were a few 40.00 tickets available for HOTE, but thanks to scalpers, I'm sure hardly anyone actually got to see the concert for that.

(Those prices for the tickets I had are face value. By the time you add everyone's fees on, they were about 15.00 per ticket more.)

That is wild! A friend went to the HOTE concert here and she said they sat in the first level up on the last row and I think they paid $50.

Sometimes ticket prices are never going to make sense. When I went to see Taylor Swift, I got a ticket for a floor seat 5 chairs away from the main catwalk for $100 a couple of days before the show when the venue box office came up with additional tickets. But the young man sitting beside me paid $600 on the secondary market. Yikes.

EagleInKansas
12-06-2017, 06:07 PM
Well if you "knew" the answer to the question EIK, why did you ask it? In your opinion, you already knew the answer. Seems to me you just want to start things.

Nope, I was willing to be educated. But I took the evasion to the question as an indication to the answer. There's an actual conversation we could have about Vince Gill, what his participation symbolizes, how it has been generally received and if there are people who attend based on his appearances. I've actually asked that question to fellow concertgoers, but I guess it's more fun to speculate and assume whatever fits one's personal narrative.

I know no one is actually interested in that conversation, though, so I'll continue to have it in my own head. It's more reasonable up there.

Dawn
12-06-2017, 08:44 PM
I know the tickets for New Orleans are between 46 and 398. I can't remember the prices in between. I remembered the second lowest ticket is 96 and then over 100, over 200 and then 398. I don't know the prices for Platinum (or whatever the heck its called) since you have to have a code for presale.

I think Tulsa is about close to New Orleans prices, but I don't know the prices. I don't know what the other prices are for the Evening With show since I don't really care about the other cities since I'm only going to New Orleans. I can't check right now because TM is blocked at work.

Thank you Shun, I have some time tonight and will try to research. I am curious how the pricing is structured with the different venues and acts.

YoungEaglesFan
12-06-2017, 08:50 PM
From Felder’s book he complained about how outrageous the prices were for HFO. I’m not sure how expensive they were for the times but it’s not like the band hasn’t had really high prices before. I agree that they are probably excessive now and it’s weird that they charge more since Glenn passed but it’s not like they were above this thing in the past

TimBFan
12-06-2017, 08:51 PM
The Taylor Swift presale for her Arrowhead concert was unbelievable. Most of the floor seats are gone, and the ones that are available are $1495! I tried for handicap accessible seating, and evidently those are gone as well. High, high, high, high seating still available for under $50 for those who don’t have mobility issues and don’t mind looking at a stage the size of a thumbnail.

No wonder she’s doing a stadium tour ... 30,000 fans per venue is going to rake in big bucks.

Freypower
12-06-2017, 10:20 PM
Nope, I was willing to be educated. But I took the evasion to the question as an indication to the answer. There's an actual conversation we could have about Vince Gill, what his participation symbolizes, how it has been generally received and if there are people who attend based on his appearances. I've actually asked that question to fellow concertgoers, but I guess it's more fun to speculate and assume whatever fits one's personal narrative.

I know no one is actually interested in that conversation, though, so I'll continue to have it in my own head. It's more reasonable up there.

I answered your question. See my previous post. No, they have not marketed it as 'see them while you have a chance'. I haven't seen any marketing. I'm not in America. Have there been TV ads? I don't know. All I know is that on this board, 'see them while you can' has been one of the arguments used.

Gill's participation is another thing altogether. If you wish to discuss it, start a separate thread. However, as you say, if you feel that only your opinions are 'reasonable' then leave it. But both Walshfan & myself did address what you asked, briefly.

New Kid In Town
12-06-2017, 10:24 PM
From Felder’s book he complained about how outrageous the prices were for HFO. I’m not sure how expensive they were for the times but it’s not like the band hasn’t had really high prices before. I agree that they are probably excessive now and it’s weird that they charge more since Glenn passed but it’s not like they were above this thing in the past

YEF - I saw the HFO concert at the Spectrum in Philly in March 1995. I paid $75.00 for my ticket, which was unbelievably high at that time but a good seat. I think I sat in first mez. if I remember right. The top ticket price was around $100.00. I remember Don F. bitching about it in his book. However, he had no problem taking the money from each concert at every venue he played at. The ticket prices now are insane. To pay over $1,600.00 for the front row seats is insane. That is without Glenn and more than they charged for the HOTE Tour.

EagleInKansas
12-06-2017, 10:40 PM
I meant "reasoned" instead of reasonable.

Why would I need to start a new thread? It fits perfectly into this topic. I saw the band 30 times with Glenn and have seen approximately 20 percent of the shows with Vince. There is no comparison. I think everyone wants to make a comparison, however, which is why there are so many disagreements. But if we talked about Vince's contributions, qualifications and achievements in any context that didn't include Glenn, we might find some common ground. But many would prefer to dismiss him, so we can't do that.

The Glenn-led Eagles were my favorite thing in the world by 100 miles. This Eagles is still my favorite thing even though they're not the same and it's not 100 miles anymore.

EagleInKansas
12-06-2017, 10:50 PM
For example, I think there is a reason that Vince doesn't speak to the crowd during the shows. The band is cognizant that would come across as him being an "Eagle," which could upset even those who don't consider themselves die-hard fans. Especially when it's at the expense of Glenn, or Glenn's presence, or Glenn's memory. He is there as a vessel delivering Glenn's music, in celebration, and trying to deliever as authentic a performance as possible. One that is true to himself and to Glenn. Vince doesn't get in the way. I get that whether or not he should be there, or whether the band should be performing, is a totally separate argument. But they do pull it off. It's still great. Vince singing Lyin' Eyes is not the Eagles (I don't take the name thing too seriously; it's just a name), but it is, to borrow a phrase from Don, up to band standards.

YoungEaglesFan
12-06-2017, 11:11 PM
YEF - I saw the HFO concert at the Spectrum in Philly in March 1995. I paid $75.00 for my ticket, which was unbelievably high at that time but a good seat. I think I sat in first mez. if I remember right. The top ticket price was around $100.00. I remember Don F. bitching about it in his book. However, he had no problem taking the money from each concert at every venue he played at. The ticket prices now are insane. To pay over $1,600.00 for the front row seats is insane. That is without Glenn and more than they charged for the HOTE Tour.

Don’t get me wrong NKIT, I don’t like the prices I just wanted to say this isn’t unprecented for the band to do so is all

Freypower
12-06-2017, 11:54 PM
I meant "reasoned" instead of reasonable.

Why would I need to start a new thread? It fits perfectly into this topic. I saw the band 30 times with Glenn and have seen approximately 20 percent of the shows with Vince. There is no comparison. I think everyone wants to make a comparison, however, which is why there are so many disagreements. But if we talked about Vince's contributions, qualifications and achievements in any context that didn't include Glenn, we might find some common ground. But many would prefer to dismiss him, so we can't do that.

The Glenn-led Eagles were my favorite thing in the world by 100 miles. This Eagles is still my favorite thing even though they're not the same and it's not 100 miles anymore.

All the more reason why it should be a separate topic. Discussing Gill here in my view amounts to an agreement that this situation exists. This thread is specifically for people who don't agree with it. If you wish to discuss Gill's contributions or performances or whatever, surely you can start a thread in the Eagles Guests forum. There you can pretend that you can discuss him without comparing him to Glenn to your heart's content. There is no point in my addressing your next post. I don't wish to involve myself. I would just be repeating myself. I will say though that it does not matter how accomplished hie is or how hard he tries. He is NOT 'up to band standards' and he never will be. Neither is he 'authentic'.

However at the end of the day this is a matter for Soda. I guess if she thinks it's OK to discuss Gill here then it is.

WKMB55
12-07-2017, 12:29 AM
Concerning the topic of people using the "last chance" approach to sell tickets------to be fair, there is a video on Youtube of an interview that Glenn, Joe and Timothy gave to an Australian tv station when they were there for the HOTE tour. I don't remember Glenn's exact words but they were something similar to "People should come and see us now. We don't know if this will be it, but we do know the numbers". I remembered thinking after he passed that his statement seemed almost prophetic.
So the sentiments about being "the last chance or the last time" were being expressed prior to 2017. I don't know and don't care if his words influenced ticket sales. It didn't bother me in 2015 and it doesn't bother me in 2017 either. Right or wrong, maximizing ticket sales for any event is all part of the business and most people know and understand that.

Dawn
12-07-2017, 02:09 AM
Feb-March 2015 Australia tour they'd been on break since October. Tim, Joe and Glenn all looked great but sounded tired and most likely were fatigued it's a long trip. Glenn urging people to come see them sounded to me like he wasn't all that optimistic about another world wide tour any time soon if ever. My experience of Glenn is that he was a realist and not afraid to speak his mind. He may have already decided he was personally done with all the stress and hard work. Touring is financially rewarding but at what point is enough - enough? Glenn had other interests as well. We will most likely never know exactly what was on his mind when he made that comment but my sense is that he did know the numbers and would have been satisfied to call it a day after the HOTE finally ended in July.

WKMB55
12-07-2017, 08:12 AM
We also will never know what he meant when he hugged Bernie Leadon and said "This isn't the end" after the last HOTE show in Bossier, LA.

Glennsallnighter
12-07-2017, 08:36 AM
Two Taylor Swift shows in Croke Park here (80,000 capacity) are sell outs. I got face value tickets for my daughter and her friend, lower stand one night for about €120 each and upper stand the following night for €80 each. They are trying to get us Irish into the whole VIP thing and different packages but we aren't really into it. Ed Sheeran is doing a few dates in Dublin in the summer but he refused to do presale. All tickets have gone for face value. You have your name on the ticket and have to provide ID if you bought it cash at a TM outlet. If you bought it online you will need your credit card that you booked it on. Seatwave, Platinum and Stubhub etc are not allowed carry tickets for his shows. Irish pewrople are sick of the whole reslae thing and don't buy into it as a rule. It will be interesting to see how this pans out.

The Taylor Swift presale for her Arrowhead concert was unbelievable. Most of the floor seats are gone, and the ones that are available are $1495! I tried for handicap accessible seating, and evidently those are gone as well. High, high, high, high seating still available for under $50 for those who don’t have mobility issues and don’t mind looking at a stage the size of a thumbnail.

No wonder she’s doing a stadium tour ... 30,000 fans per venue is going to rake in big bucks.

Dawn
12-07-2017, 08:40 AM
A fellow Borderer learned there was one more show after they officially ended the HOTE tour in Louisiana. It was a private concert. Sorry, I do not remember where or when. Perhaps someone can find the post. Second, we know from Bob Seger who saw Glenn after the tour and described him as "worn out" that Glenn Frey was involved in developing a Hotel California play or musical which I believe could/would have been awesome.

shunlvswx
12-07-2017, 09:25 AM
In St. Louis at the Christian Brothers College High School on July 31st. It was for a guy's 60th (I think that was the age) birthday party.

BillBailey1976
12-07-2017, 09:49 AM
That is wild! A friend went to the HOTE concert here and she said they sat in the first level up on the last row and I think they paid $50.

Sometimes ticket prices are never going to make sense. When I went to see Taylor Swift, I got a ticket for a floor seat 5 chairs away from the main catwalk for $100 a couple of days before the show when the venue box office came up with additional tickets. But the young man sitting beside me paid $600 on the secondary market. Yikes.

I have always thought it would be funny to be in the first section at a price drop. At Thompson Boling Arena..when looking at the seating chart, I remember that one section was 95.00 and the adjacent one, getting further from the stage was 65.00. Imagine the guy on the end seat, about 5 feet from you, paid 30.00 more, for essentially the same seat.

Dawn
12-07-2017, 11:47 AM
In St. Louis at the Christian Brothers College High School on July 31st. It was for a guy's 60th (I think that was the age) birthday party.

Thank you Shun, I was just about to edit my post and say I thought it was you!!
Great find!!

Dawn
12-07-2017, 12:02 PM
For those who might not be aware ...

6 Reasons It's So Hard To Buy Concert Tickets

"How credit card presales, bot programs, and even artists scalping their own tickets keep you from getting seats at face value. Yep, it totally sucks."

February 26, 2013

https://www.buzzfeed.com/perpetua/6-reasons-why-its-so-hard-to-buy-concert-tickets?utm_term=.lfZrGM1oN#.grovQDG0z

TimBFan
12-07-2017, 02:54 PM
Two Taylor Swift shows in Croke Park here (80,000 capacity) are sell outs. I got face value tickets for my daughter and her friend, lower stand one night for about €120 each and upper stand the following night for €80 each. They are trying to get us Irish into the whole VIP thing and different packages but we aren't really into it. Ed Sheeran is doing a few dates in Dublin in the summer but he refused to do presale. All tickets have gone for face value. You have your name on the ticket and have to provide ID if you bought it cash at a TM outlet. If you bought it online you will need your credit card that you booked it on. Seatwave, Platinum and Stubhub etc are not allowed carry tickets for his shows. Irish pewrople are sick of the whole reslae thing and don't buy into it as a rule. It will be interesting to see how this pans out.

That’s great you got tickets for your daughter! I think Arrowhead Stadium holds 75,000 for football games but I’m not sure how many it will hold for the TS Show. I know from having been there years ago for football that I couldn’t manage the upper levels because of mobility problems. I’m not upset about not going as it would be really hard to navigate a crowd that big. 26,000 at Sprint was hard enough and with streets being shut down for crowd control I had to walk almost 5 blocks to find a taxi. She does a great show, but it was laughable to me that she wanted to do this presale to keep tickets out of scalpers hands and then turned around and charged up to $790 to $1490 face value for lower level seats, even waaaaaaaay back.

I know for Josh Groban presells, his fan club members gets the access codes a few days in advance, and his VIP tickets include a nice dinner ahead of the show, cash bar, meet & greet photos, a brief backstage tour, and a goodie bag with seats in the first 4 or 5 rows for $500. Resells are not allowed and you have to show your ID and ticket receipt when you arrive. I didn’t mind spending that much because it was a very good show and AEG did a great job of handling the VIP experience package.

The Eagles are coming to Sprint, thank goodness, and not a big stadium. But I read tickets aren’t being sold through Ticketmaster, only through Sprint. And the AMEX presells can only be done online through a link AMEX sends you, and not by phone or going to the box office. This is all new to me. How do you sign up for AMEX presell alerts?

TimBFan
12-07-2017, 02:58 PM

"How credit card presales, bot programs, and even artists scalping their own tickets keep you from getting seats at face value. Yep, it totally sucks."

February 26, 2013

https://www.buzzfeed.com/perpetua/6-reasons-why-its-so-hard-to-buy-concert-tickets?utm_term=.lfZrGM1oN#.grovQDG0z

Wow! Thank you for the link to the article.

BillBailey1976
12-07-2017, 03:26 PM

February 26, 2013

Articles like this make you not even want to go to ANY concerts. Such greedy sleazy tactics, even by the artists. The only way this will ever change is if people don't go. Refuse to pay the prices.

Dawn
12-07-2017, 03:41 PM
Articles like this make you not even want to go to ANY concerts. Such greedy sleazy tactics, even by the artists. The only way this will ever change is if people don't go. Refuse to pay the prices.

Well, I can't disagree. I guess it's the nature of the beast. They book large arenas and stadiums to maximize ticket sales but it's the fans who end up in faraway so-called "nosebleed" seats who are the ones paying the biggest price of all.

shunlvswx
12-07-2017, 04:18 PM
I know I'll be sitting in the nosebleeds section when I see them in New Orleans. For me, I refused to pay over $100 for tickets for any artists. That includes the Eagles. That's just me. I've seen some other prices for the other cities and some of them start at 90 or 100 dollars for nosebeeds. Yikes. I'm glad New Orleans is not that expensive compare to other cities they are playing.

One example of the artist that charge an arm and a leg for their tickets. Donny and Marie. Some venues were charges 100 and 200 dollars for their shows on the road. You can pay 300 dollars in Vegas and you get to meet them after the show. You don't when they are the road. I only played under a 100 for their show at a casino and I had center seats, but I was miserable the whole night because they weren't stadium seating like seats and I had a tall person in front of me. Never again will I get a seat in the center that venue. I had a better view in the nosebleeds at that same venue when I saw Peter Cetera in September.

I don't need a front row seat or seats in the center(well of course if they are cheap. LOL) to see somebody I like. Mostly everybody I see in concert are older artists who haven't put out an album in years or barely get played on the radio. They play mostly at fairs (where I can see them for free), casinos or smaller venues. We rarely get big names here in MS. You would have to drive 3 hours to see a big star.

I like smaller venues. The last big venue I went to was Don's show in Sugarland in January. I forgot how many people they hold, but Smart Financial Center was big and it was also very brand new.

Freypower
12-07-2017, 05:01 PM
Getting back to the billing, there is no longer any pretence about the 'with' stuff. In the latest email I received it's just 'Eagles' & states that more dates have been added because of the 'overwhelming response'. The email also promoted the Sirius channel with specific mention of Gill & his favourites, etc. :lie::cry::enraged:

The next email I get from them, I will unsubscribe, and the more I see the tide turning here, the more likely it is that I will have to stop posting here.

TimBFan
12-07-2017, 08:14 PM
I know I'll be sitting in the nosebleeds section when I see them in New Orleans. For me, I refused to pay over $100 for tickets for any artists. That includes the Eagles. That's just me. I've seen some other prices for the other cities and some of them start at 90 or 100 dollars for nosebeeds. Yikes. I'm glad New Orleans is not that expensive compare to other cities they are playing.

One example of the artist that charge an arm and a leg for their tickets. Donny and Marie. Some venues were charges 100 and 200 dollars for their shows on the road. You can pay 300 dollars in Vegas and you get to meet them after the show. You don't when they are the road. I only played under a 100 for their show at a casino and I had center seats, but I was miserable the whole night because they weren't stadium seating like seats and I had a tall person in front of me. Never again will I get a seat in the center that venue. I had a better view in the nosebleeds at that same venue when I saw Peter Cetera in September.

I don't need a front row seat or seats in the center(well of course if they are cheap. LOL) to see somebody I like. Mostly everybody I see in concert are older artists who haven't put out an album in years or barely get played on the radio. They play mostly at fairs (where I can see them for free), casinos or smaller venues. We rarely get big names here in MS. You would have to drive 3 hours to see a big star.

I like smaller venues. The last big venue I went to was Don's show in Sugarland in January. I forgot how many people they hold, but Smart Financial Center was big and it was also very brand new.

Did you see Donny & Marie at the Flamingo in Vegas? That’s where I saw Richard Marx this summer and the tickets were very reasonable. But I agree with you about not needing front row seats to enjoy a concert, and I like smaller venues as well. When I did the m&g for Josh Groban it was a one time chance to personally thank him for the music that meant so much to my Mom and me. The last few years of her life she had Alzheimer’s and some days the only thing that made her calm was playing “her Josh Groban” and “her Alan Jackson” music. I lost my Mom recently and I remember how happy she was that I was able to give him a card from her.

I have to do ADA seating, well at least until I get the courage to have both knees replaced and a right hip replacement. Until then my best friend of 46 years and I are doing bucket list things. Both of us are pushing 70, we’ve survived cancer, then spouses to heart attacks, I’m retired and she retires next year. We did our first road trip in 26 years to Colorado last month and hope to go back again next summer to a concert at Red Rocks. My whole family is gone now. It’s just me and a little dog, and having the Eagles concert next year to look forward to is going to get me through the holidays. I don’t know where our seats will be, I’m just so grateful to see them.

So I apologize if my talking about going to meet and greet shows, sitting on the front row, or needing floor seats made me come across as being a snob. I didn’t want to offend anyone by what I said.

New Kid In Town
12-07-2017, 10:19 PM
When I did the m&g for Josh Groban it was a one time chance to personally thank him for the music that meant so much to my Mom and me. The last few years of her life she had Alzheimer’s and some days the only thing that made her calm was playing “her Josh Groban” and “her Alan Jackson” music. I lost my Mom recently and I remember how happy she was that I was able to give him a card from her.
I have to do ADA seating, well at least until I get the courage to have both knees replaced and a right hip replacement. Until then my best friend of 46 years and I are doing bucket list things. Both of us are pushing 70, we’ve survived cancer, then spouses to heart attacks, I’m retired and she retires next year. We did our first road trip in 26 years to Colorado last month and hope to go back again next summer to a concert at Red Rocks. My whole family is gone now. It’s just me and a little dog, and having the Eagles concert next year to look forward to is going to get me through the holidays. I don’t know where our seats will be, I’m just so grateful to see them.
So I apologize if my talking about going to meet and greet shows, sitting on the front row, or needing floor seats made me come across as being a snob. I didn’t want to offend anyone by what I /quote]

TimBFan - Please accept my deepest sympathies on the death of your Mom. What a sweet story regarding “her Josh Groban” . I think Josh has a beautiful voice and one day hope to see him in concert. All I can say is go for everything in that bucket list ! Also, I hope you enjoy your Eagles concert next year. I'm sure no one things of you as being a snob, I don't.
:-)
PS - My next door neighbor just had knee replacement surgery. It was rough for her at first but she is now back to work and doing good.

UndertheWire
12-08-2017, 06:59 AM
TimBFan, thanks for giving the perspective of someone who would be willing to pay this much for tickets. We can each of us weigh up the costs and benefits and decide what is right for us.

I do think the way that TM handles sales is awful. It's one of the reasons why I bought from the venue for a Birmingham, UK, HotE show.

shunlvswx
12-08-2017, 09:06 AM
I'm going to buy through the venue so I don't have to pay those extra taxes which I think its stupid.

I'm so sorry for your loss, TimBFan. Maybe one day I will do a front row or center seat.

shunlvswx
12-08-2017, 02:17 PM
Did you see Donny & Marie at the Flamingo in Vegas? That’s where I saw Richard Marx this summer and the tickets were very reasonable.

No. I haven't seen them in Vegas. Last year was my first concert of there's. I saw their brothers many times, but not them. I was so happy they came to MS.

Dawn
12-08-2017, 02:19 PM
Getting back to the billing, there is no longer any pretence about the 'with' stuff. In the latest email I received it's just 'Eagles' & states that more dates have been added because of the 'overwhelming response'. The email also promoted the Sirius channel with specific mention of Gill & his favourites, etc. :lie::cry::enraged:

The next email I get from them, I will unsubscribe, and the more I see the tide turning here, the more likely it is that I will have to stop posting here.

It's sad what has happened, downright pitiful but there are many many fans who do not support the band continuing without Glenn Frey regardless of who they hire to play the music and sing the songs. I have seen comments from disenchanted fans ranging from this is about Don Henley and Friends to the proverbial cash grab allegations and more. At the end of the day (figuratively speaking >>) all I can do is turn my head and cover my ears which is a very sad ending to 45 years of being an Eagles fan. To those who expect and even demand I embrace this lineup as an acceptable alternative I am sorry but that just isn't going to happen.

Freypower
12-08-2017, 05:32 PM
It's sad what has happened, downright pitiful but there are many many fans who do not support the band continuing without Glenn Frey regardless of who they hire to play the music and sing the songs. I have seen comments from disenchanted fans ranging from this is about Don Henley and Friends to the proverbial cash grab allegations and more. At the end of the day (figuratively speaking >>) all I can do is turn my head and cover my ears which is a very sad ending to 45 years of being an Eagles fan. To those who expect and even demand I embrace this lineup as an acceptable alternative I am sorry but that just isn't going to happen.

Well, you've seen what's happened to this thread which was supposed to be a 'safe space' (I loathe that term) for people like you & me. Now it's all about the ticket prices, which should have been discussed in the 2018 thread. Now it seems we don't even have this thread any more.

chaim
12-08-2017, 05:39 PM
Well, you've seen what's happened to this thread which was supposed to be a 'safe space' (I loathe that term) for people like you & me. Now it's all about the ticket prices, which should have been discussed in the 2018 thread. Now it seems we don't even have this thread any more.

Yes we have. I couldn't care less about the band now. I couldn't care less about Vince Gill in the Eagles. Only Glenn could sing a song like Lyin' Eyes under the name "Eagles" IMO. Etc. (Although I don't have a problem with anyone enjoying the band now - and no one should have a problem with me not enjoying it.)

Dawn
12-08-2017, 06:11 PM
Yes we have. I couldn't care less about the band now. I couldn't care less about Vince Gill in the Eagles. Only Glenn could sing a song like Lyin' Eyes under the name "Eagles" IMO. Etc. But I don't have a problem with anyone enjoying the band now - and no one should have a problem with me not enjoying it.

Yes - to use a Glenn Frey term - that clocks it pretty well. :headbang:

WalshFan88
12-08-2017, 06:32 PM
All the more reason why it should be a separate topic. Discussing Gill here in my view amounts to an agreement that this situation exists. This thread is specifically for people who don't agree with it. If you wish to discuss Gill's contributions or performances or whatever, surely you can start a thread in the Eagles Guests forum. There you can pretend that you can discuss him without comparing him to Glenn to your heart's content. There is no point in my addressing your next post. I don't wish to involve myself. I would just be repeating myself. I will say though that it does not matter how accomplished hie is or how hard he tries. He is NOT 'up to band standards' and he never will be. Neither is he 'authentic'.

However at the end of the day this is a matter for Soda. I guess if she thinks it's OK to discuss Gill here then it is.

Amen.

EIK, there is nothing to discuss about Gill's "contributions" to the band. He's just a temp. Him singing Lyin' Eyes is about the most "inauthentic" thing I can think of right now when it comes to this. He doesn't belong. Period. If you want to praise him on the stuff he's done for himself outside of this, go ahead. But IMO he isn't some miracle that came swooping down to save the Eagles. Spare me. He was probably shaking when they offered it to him. He's thanking his lucky stars.

WalshFan88
12-08-2017, 06:37 PM
Yes we have. I couldn't care less about the band now. I couldn't care less about Vince Gill in the Eagles. Only Glenn could sing a song like Lyin' Eyes under the name "Eagles" IMO. Etc. (Although I don't have a problem with anyone enjoying the band now - and no one should have a problem with me not enjoying it.)

Exactly the same for me. If people want to enjoy Vince and Deacon, go ahead but I won't be. I couldn't care less about the band. But we have a right to not enjoy it and be ok with sharing it. Similarly, I don't have a problem with those who do.

chaim
12-08-2017, 06:40 PM
Amen.

EIK, there is nothing to discuss about Gill's "contributions" to the band. He's just a temp. Him singing Lyin' Eyes is about the most "inauthentic" thing I can think of right now when it comes to this. He doesn't belong. Period. If you want to praise him on the stuff he's done for himself outside of this, go ahead. But IMO he isn't some miracle that came swooping down to save the Eagles. Spare me. He was probably shaking when they offered it to him. He's thanking his lucky stars.

100% agreed. Nothing against Vince Gill, but he has nothing to do with the Eagles IMO.

TimBFan
12-09-2017, 05:14 PM
I’m excited about the possibility of seeing the Eagles in 2018 because I was afraid their touring was over. I will miss Glenn very much and my feeling is that one one will be able to fill his shoes.

The addition of Deacon and Vince to me isn’t an attempt to replace him, but rather a way to help celebrate his music and continue sharing it. I never met Glenn and I’ve not been able to go to so many shows as so many of you have, but I can’t help but feel that he would be happy that his music lives on no matter who is singing the lyrics.

Freypower
12-09-2017, 05:26 PM
I’m excited about the possibility of seeing the Eagles in 2018 because I was afraid their touring was over. I will miss Glenn very much and my feeling is that one one will be able to fill his shoes.

The addition of Deacon and Vince to me isn’t an attempt to replace him, but rather a way to help celebrate his music and continue sharing it. I never met Glenn and I’ve not been able to go to so many shows as so many of you have, but I can’t help but feel that he would be happy that his music lives on no matter who is singing the lyrics.

His music lives on in his records. It doesn't need anyone else singing it for it to live on.

In that Rolling Stone interview Henley stated that people wanted to hear 'the songs', and that it wasn't about the band members. If that is the case, see a tribute band. You won't have to spend the exorbitant sums this 'band' is currently charging.

chaim
12-09-2017, 05:34 PM
His music lives on in his records. It doesn't need anyone else singing it for it to live on.

In that Rolling Stone interview Henley stated that people wanted to hear 'the songs', and that it wasn't about the band members. If that is the case, see a tribute band. You won't have to spend the exorbitant sums this 'band' is currently charging.

This thought comes to my mind every time I hear someone say that it's about the songs, not the people who sing/play them.

TimBFan
12-09-2017, 05:45 PM
TimBFan - Please accept my deepest sympathies on the death of your Mom. What a sweet story regarding “her Josh Groban” . I think Josh has a beautiful voice and one day hope to see him in concert. All I can say is go for everything in that bucket list ! Also, I hope you enjoy your Eagles concert next year. I'm sure no one things of you as being a snob, I don't.
:-)
PS - My next door neighbor just had knee replacement surgery. It was rough for her at first but she is now back to work and doing good.

Thank you so much for your kindness. I thought that the last few years have been tough, but being without a single living family member now feels a lot worse. The holidays are sheer hell, but it will take time and a lot of healing.

She would smile so brightly when she heard her favorite Josh and Alan songs. She had lost the cognitive skills to be able to play cds on her own but she remembered the words and would happily sing along. I miss her.

I’ve already had surgeries on each knee to shave off the bone deformities in each knee from the RA, but they’ve done all they can short of the total replacements. I dread more surgeries and I know it will mean having to go to a rehab facility and finding a caregiver for my dog. Ugh.

WalshFan88
12-09-2017, 08:42 PM
Sorry for your loss TimBFan.

chaim
12-10-2017, 04:06 AM
I wish you strength, TimBFan (pun recognized).

BillBailey1976
12-14-2017, 09:08 AM
The more that I see the obscene ticket prices for the new lineup, the more toward the 3.0 crowd I feel myself leaning.
Continuing, that's one thing, but to charge MORE for tickets......I tell you, I am just about done. My wife and I had the discussion last night...even if they come to Knoxville, based on what prices we're seeing, we won't even think about it.
By charging more, are you saying that Deacon Frey and Vince Gill are worth more money than Glenn? I get that they want to play. I do. I just see the math and it looks worse and worse to me.

YoungEaglesFan
12-14-2017, 10:11 AM
The more that I see the obscene ticket prices for the new lineup, the more toward the 3.0 crowd I feel myself leaning.
Continuing, that's one thing, but to charge MORE for tickets......I tell you, I am just about done. My wife and I had the discussion last night...even if they come to Knoxville, based on what prices we're seeing, we won't even think about it.
By charging more, are you saying that Deacon Frey and Vince Gill are worth more money than Glenn? I get that they want to play. I do. I just see the math and it looks worse and worse to me.

I don’t think it’s the band saying we are worth more without Glenn. I am sure they have some reason but I doubt it’s because they feel are worth more. There are probably some figures they put together and they went off them

TimBFan
12-14-2017, 10:49 AM
Sorry for your loss TimBFan.

Thank you WalshFan88 and Chaim. ❤️

Dawn
12-14-2017, 01:34 PM
Was talking to a friend who saw the Eagles on the HOTE tour and is a serious Vince Gill fan. She feels Vince Gill is all wrong for the Eagles and made the point if it was really all about singing Eagles songs and honoring Glenn Frey he could do that on his own (tour).

Dawn
12-14-2017, 02:27 PM
Sorry, I lost my WiFi

Anyway while that is true we both agreed it isn't realistic because of the huge benefits associated with being a touring member of the Eagles especially next year with up to 40 concert paychecks.

When pressed about why she thought he wasn't a "good fit" to use Vince Gill's own sentiments, she said as an Eagles fan she believes he does not measure up and thinks he was brought in primarily to take the pressure off Deacon and enable the band to keep going -->> Classic East/West was quickly coming up.

Edited to add

I am sharing this convo because I assumed as a Vince Gill and Eagles fan my friend would be supportive of the lineup and was very surprised to learn otherwise.

chaim
12-14-2017, 03:19 PM
I can understand that. It doesn't mean that Vince Gill isn't as good as the Eagles guys - just that he doesn't totally fit in. Extreme fans didn't necessarily love Gary Cherone in Van Halen. G'n'R fans didn't necessarily love Axl Rose in AC/DC. Adam Lambert fans don't necessarily love Adam Lambert in Queen etc.

New Kid In Town
12-14-2017, 03:50 PM

BB - We had a discussion about this a few pages back. However, there is too much stuff to keep track of regarding this. I stated I feel Don and Irving are taking advantage of fans who never saw them and are afraid if they don't see them now it will be too late. There is no way these tickets should be more expensive than the HOTE Tour tickets. That tour had 3 of the 4 original Eagles ! There is no way a single ticket is worth $1,640.00. In doing this, they have priced the regular fan out of purchasing tickets. On the Eagles numerous FB fan pages as well as their FB page, a lot of people have complained bitterly about the high prices. I am sorry that you and your wife have been priced out by their greediness. It is really a shame.
PS- Be glad you don't live in the NJ/NY Metro area. The ticket prices here would truly be insane.
PS Again - lol - Dawn - Very interesting regarding your friends thoughts. I really do not know too much of anything about Vince. Everything I have read(including here) indicates what a nice guy he is. I look at it this way. He is probably making more money doing this than he has made in a very, very long time.

Magnolia
12-14-2017, 03:56 PM
Sorry, I lost my WiFi

Anyway while that is true we both agreed it isn't realistic because of the huge benefits associated with being a touring member of the Eagles especially next year with up to 40 concert paychecks.

When pressed about why she thought he wasn't a "good fit" to use Vince Gill's own sentiments, she said as an Eagles fan she believes he does not measure up and thinks he was brought in primarily to take the pressure off Deacon and enable the band to keep going-->> Classic East/West was quickly coming up.

Edited to add

I am sharing this convo because I assumed as a Vince Gill and Eagles fan my friend would be supportive of the lineup and was very surprised to learn otherwise.

I think the bolded part is a major reason Vince was brought in as well. No one knew how Deacon would handle it.

Dawn
12-14-2017, 04:17 PM
Yes, that's a very good observation, thanks Chaim. I guess I expected her to feel differently about the marriage because unlike myself she is a super fan of both Gill and the Eagles.

Dawn
12-14-2017, 05:19 PM
I think the bolded part is a major reason Vince was brought in as well. No one knew how Deacon would handle it.

Yes, it is alot of pressure. However up to the task they believed Deacon to be his first gig out the door was the Classic West, a stadium size concert with 6 bands on the bill.

Dawn
12-14-2017, 06:48 PM
BB - We had a discussion about this a few pages back. However, there is too much stuff to keep track of regarding this. I stated I feel Don and Irving are taking advantage of fans who never saw them and are afraid if they don't see them now it will be too late. There is no way these tickets should be more expensive than the HOTE Tour tickets. That tour had 3 of the 4 original Eagles ! There is no way a single ticket is worth $1,640.00. In doing this, they have priced the regular fan out of purchasing tickets. On the Eagles numerous FB fan pages as well as their FB page, a lot of people have complained bitterly about the high prices. I am sorry that you and your wife have been priced out by their greediness. It is really a shame.
PS- Be glad you don't live in the NJ/NY Metro area. The ticket prices here would truly be insane.
PS Again - lol - Dawn - Very interesting regarding your friends thoughts. I really do not know too much of anything about Vince. Everything I have read(including here) indicates what a nice guy he is. I look at it this way. He is probably making more money doing this than he has made in a very, very long time.

Yes, I absolutely agree about the ticket prices. It is absurd and I am sorry too.

As for Vince Gill he is clearly very talented and well respected in the industry. I am not a big fan but I do enjoy his music and his duets with his wife Amy Grant are quite good, I have always loved her singing and they make a good team.

Dawn
12-14-2017, 07:47 PM

Also can't see Deacon doing all Glenn's lead songs and believe the idea to add Vince Gill probably took hold in December 2016 at the Kennedy Center Honors.

TimBFan
12-14-2017, 07:57 PM
Wonder if they will be as strict as they have been in the past about having people sit in their seats instead of standing all night, and not allowing cameras? Having paid quite a chunk of change for our seats I would like to actually see the concert instead of the back pockets of the guy in front of me.

Freypower
12-14-2017, 08:06 PM
Also can't see Deacon doing all Glenn's lead songs and believe the idea to add Vince Gill probably took hold in December 2016 at the Kennedy Center Honors.

Do you have any evidence to support that theory?

I only wish to add that I got another email from them & unsubscribed, as I had promised.

Dawn
12-14-2017, 11:55 PM
Do you have any evidence to support that theory?

I only wish to add that I got another email from them & unsubscribed, as I had promised.

Irving Azoff quoted as the source by numerous media outlets including The Boot. I don't know if it is true or not but it is out there. Personally I think it is possible and don't know why Azoff would make this claim about when they got the idea to add Vince. What are your thoughts?

"According to the Eagles’ manager, Irving Azoff, the idea of adding Gill to the band’s lineup came about during December’s Kennedy Center Honors ceremony, during which Gill helped pay tribute to the Eagles."

The Boot
http://theboot.com/vince-gill-the-eagles-2017-tour-dates/

Edited to Add

IIRC The rumors about the band "reuniting/reforming" began circulating in the media around March 2017. Not long after came the stunning news about Azoff's summer CLASSiC East and West, a bi-coastal 6 band stadium sized concert with the Eagles sharing headliner billing with Fleetwood Mac. Given the time needed to organize an event of this size, contracting with talent, the venues, vendors, etc I would imagine this was being planned well in advance. Of course we gotta believe it helps that Azoff manages most if not all the talent/bands.

Summary ... From Kennedy Center Honors Dec 2016 to Summer Classic 2017 @ 6 months

New Lineup Publicity Photos released. Rehearsals begin in LA and elsewhere

Dawn
12-15-2017, 12:02 AM
Wonder if they will be as strict as they have been in the past about having people sit in their seats instead of standing all night, and not allowing cameras? Having paid quite a chunk of change for our seats I would like to actually see the concert instead of the back pockets of the guy in front of me.

Well that is a problem. Personally I am content to enjoy their music without leaving home. Cheaper too.

Edited to add

Sorry don't mean to be insensitive just being honest about my thoughts/feelings. It's a lot of money I do hope it all wotks out for you and your friends.

Dawn
12-15-2017, 04:30 AM
Seriously beginning to lose all interest in anything that has to do with this lineup and honestly don't believe we will ever know the truth. Clearly Azoff played a major role in the decision to continue without Glenn Frey. I am glad I can flip a switch plug in my earphones and still enjoy the Eagles and Glenn Frey anywhere and anytime. That is more than good enough. It's a blessing.

TimBFan
12-15-2017, 12:44 PM
Well that is a problem. Personally I am content to enjoy their music without leaving home. Cheaper too.

Edited to add

Sorry don't mean to be insensitive just being honest about my thoughts/feelings. It's a lot of money I do hope it all wotks out for you and your friends.

If I were physically able to stand along with everyone else, I happily would. I’m going to be doing great to get inside the venue with the assistance of my friends and couldn’t possibly stand because of health issues. I will need to get cortisone injections in both knees and both shoulders to get by. So I imagine you are thinking why on earth should I go then? It’s because I’ve been waiting to see them again since 1980 and they have been at the top of my bucket list. Because it gives me something to be really excited about. The only gift under my Christmas tree is an Eagles concert ticket because my entire family has passed away. I’ve been an Eagles fan since the day their music first came on the radio. So I’m going one last time to see them, and it isn’t too much to ask to be able to actually see the concert.

It appears that being excited about going to their concerts since Glenns passing is a touchy subject, so I apologize for making people uncomfortable. I won’t post anything further.

Wishing everyone a very Merry Christmas, and may you and your families and loved ones find all the joy, health and happiness your hearts can hold in the New Year.

YoungEaglesFan
12-15-2017, 01:34 PM
If I were physically able to stand along with everyone else, I happily would. I’m going to be doing great to get inside the venue with the assistance of my friends and couldn’t possibly stand because of health issues. I will need to get cortisone injections in both knees and both shoulders to get by. So I imagine you are thinking why on earth should I go then? It’s because I’ve been waiting to see them again since 1980 and they have been at the top of my bucket list. Because it gives me something to be really excited about. The only gift under my Christmas tree is an Eagles concert ticket because my entire family has passed away. I’ve been an Eagles fan since the day their music first came on the radio. So I’m going one last time to see them, and it isn’t too much to ask to be able to actually see the concert.

It appears that being excited about going to their concerts since Glenns passing is a touchy subject, so I apologize for making people uncomfortable. I won’t post anything further.

Wishing everyone a very Merry Christmas, and may you and your families and loved ones find all the joy, health and happiness your hearts can hold in the New Year.

TimBfan I saw them for the first time after Glenn passed after thinking I’d never get to see them since Glenn passed and I had an amazing time. I hope you have an amazing time. The Glenn songs sound different but the harmonies are very similar and they sound great. Merry Christmas to you as well and I hope you have a great new year

groupie2686
12-15-2017, 02:40 PM
Seriously beginning to lose all interest in anything that has to do with this lineup and honestly don't believe we will ever know the truth. Clearly Azoff played a major role in the decision to continue without Glenn Frey. I am glad I can flip a switch plug in my earphones and still enjoy the Eagles and Glenn Frey anywhere and anytime. That is more than good enough. It's a blessing.

I feel the same way. As long as you can listen to the music (as New Kid in Town plays on my Pandora), he's always with us.

WalshFan88
12-15-2017, 05:51 PM
While I agree Deacon couldn't sing everything, it really irks me having VG in the band. I just feel he didn't pay his dues enough and is just using it as a platform to boost himself up and become relevant again in the minds of younger people. He certainly isn't an Eagle and nor was he supposed to be. Deacon hasn't exactly paid his dues either, but at least he was in the family. Still bothers me though. I think Gill's enthusiasm for this new "venture" is what bothers me more than Deacon just being a caricature of Glenn but both are upsetting to say the least.

chaim
12-15-2017, 06:20 PM
While I agree Deacon couldn't sing everything, it really irks me having VG in the band. I just feel he didn't pay his dues enough and is just using it as a platform to boost himself up and become relevant again in the minds of younger people. He certainly isn't an Eagle and nor was he supposed to be. Deacon hasn't exactly paid his dues either, but at least he was in the family. Still bothers me though. I think Gill's enthusiasm for this new "venture" is what bothers me more than Deacon just being a caricature of Glenn but both are upsetting to say the least.

It has started to bother me too. Not all the time obviously, but when I'm thinking about the "band" as it is now.

Freypower
12-15-2017, 08:01 PM

Agreed.

Freypower
12-15-2017, 08:03 PM
Irving Azoff quoted as the source by numerous media outlets including The Boot. I don't know if it is true or not but it is out there. Personally I think it is possible and don't know why Azoff would make this claim about when they got the idea to add Vince. What are your thoughts?

"According to the Eagles’ manager, Irving Azoff, the idea of adding Gill to the band’s lineup came about during December’s Kennedy Center Honors ceremony, during which Gill helped pay tribute to the Eagles."

The Boot

Edited to Add

IIRC The rumors about the band "reuniting/reforming" began circulating in the media around March 2017. Not long after came the stunning news about Azoff's summer CLASSiC East and West, a bi-coastal 6 band stadium sized concert with the Eagles sharing headliner billing with Fleetwood Mac. Given the time needed to organize an event of this size, contracting with talent, the venues, vendors, etc I would imagine this was being planned well in advance. Of course we gotta believe it helps that Azoff manages most if not all the talent/bands.

Summary ... From Kennedy Center Honors Dec 2016 to Summer Classic 2017 @ 6 months

Thanks for clearing that up.

I have nothing to say to the people who wish to 'enjoy' this, except that nobody is trying to stop them.

YoungEaglesFan
12-15-2017, 09:13 PM
Just a question but what exactly do you mean by pay his dues for Deacon? I get Vince has been too cheerful and easy going but what would you like Deacon to do? Not criticizing but just curious. Should Deacon pay his dues the same way Vince should or would it be a different standard

New Kid In Town
12-15-2017, 09:41 PM

TBF- Please don't feel that you can't post here. There is a form for all the new 2018 concerts/discussions, etc. You just posted in the wrong form about wanting to see them. As you are new here, I'm not sure if you know that this is the one form for people who do not agree with the "new" Eagles. You can post away in any other forms.

Freypower
12-15-2017, 09:52 PM
Just a question but what exactly do you mean by pay his dues for Deacon? I get Vince has been too cheerful and easy going but what would you like Deacon to do? Not criticizing but just curious. Should Deacon pay his dues the same way Vince should or would it be a different standard

My own opinion is that Deacon should have attempted to develop his own career and not have been thrust into this without any preparation, without playing to small audiences, without developing a sense of HIMSELF as opposed to being made into an imitation of his father. But that is just a small part of my endless objections to this.

WalshFan88
12-16-2017, 12:02 AM

I just think Vince has had a very easy in that he didn't deserve...And now he gets to tack that name onto his resume when he's not an Eagle and never contributed anything during their real period (70s, 90s, or 00s). He now gets to put that on his bio and I don't think he worked quite hard enough for it. I feel while he may be a good guy and a good musician, he isn't up to Eagles standards and while he and Glenn might have been friends, they never did anything musically together with the band and just looks like he got a prestigious award for doing nothing.

Deacon in theory yes should also have to prove his worth and have came up into that role by starting out in bars and going small and having to earn it rather than just slide into that place just because he's a family member. It's like when a famous family gets their kid into some role because they "know people" and they never did anything to deserve it be it the pay nor the admiration. But I somehow find it easier to tolerate than Vince. Still though, I wouldn't want the band to go on without Glenn but those things also have weighed on my decision, admittedly.

sodascouts
12-16-2017, 12:16 AM

The Boot

Edited to Add

We are presented with a timeline of:

November 28, 2016: Henley says the Eagles are done, says the Eagles continuing without Glenn would be "desperate" and seem like "greed" in the Washington Post (https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/music/don-henley-says-the-eagles-are-done-it-was-always-glenn-freys-band/2016/11/28/ccd89a4a-aa6a-11e6-977a-1030f822fc35_story.html?utm_term=.d4cd24a6fc31)

December 4, 2016: The Kennedy Center Honors take place, and Azoff gets the idea that Vince Gill would make a good addition to a "new" Eagles without Glenn

March 2017: We hear that Don Henley has emerged from his "shock" and decided that actually it's a great idea - indeed, it's a noble endeavor - to continue the band without Glenn, with the addition of Vince Gill and Deacon Frey, just in time to headline for Azoff's Classic East/West festivals

-------------

What I don't understand is why they bothered pretending they weren't going to do this for so long. Did they want to wait until after Glenn had been dead at least a year before they declared their intentions for the sake of appearances, even though logistically they must been working on the arrangements only months after his death?

SO tired of all the BS.

New Kid In Town
12-16-2017, 12:40 AM
We are presented with a timeline of:

November 28, 2016: Henley says the Eagles are done, says the Eagles continuing without Glenn would be "desperate" and seem like "greed" in the Washington Post (https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/music/don-henley-says-the-eagles-are-done-it-was-always-glenn-freys-band/2016/11/28/ccd89a4a-aa6a-11e6-977a-1030f822fc35_story.html?utm_term=.d4cd24a6fc31)

December 4, 2016: The Kennedy Center Honors take place, and Azoff gets the idea that Vince Gill would make a good addition to a "new" Eagles without Glenn

March 2017: We hear that Don Henley has emerged from his "shock" and decided that actually it's a great idea - indeed, it's a noble endeavor - to continue the band without Glenn, with the addition of Vince Gill and Deacon Frey, just in time to headline for Azoff's Classic East/West festivals

-------------

What I don't understand is why they bothered pretending they weren't going to do this for so long. Did they want to wait until after Glenn had been dead at least a year before they declared their intentions for the sake of appearances, even though logistically they must been working on the arrangements only months after his death?

SO tired of all the BS.

Yes, I believe this was planned only two months after Glenn's death. In March 2016, Don gave an interview with a Montreal newspaper while on his CC Tour. He gave an interview then with a Montreal newspaper stating the only way he could see the Eagles regrouping was if Deacon was involved. He received all kinds of shit from the press and backtracked stating he was only mussing. I personally believed this was in consideration since than. I thing he/they felt they had to wait until a year after Glenn passed to make this whole thing seem more acceptable. This did not just happen over night.

chaim
12-16-2017, 04:13 AM
Wow! That timeline was interesting. Things weren't certainly moving too slow.

UndertheWire
12-16-2017, 04:23 AM
It wasn't quite as quick as that. The Montreal interview was published 9th September 2016. In it Don said there had been no discussions.

New Kid In Town
12-16-2017, 12:28 PM
It wasn't quite as quick as that. The Montreal interview was published 9th September 2016. In it Don said there had been no discussions.

UTW - He gave another interview in March 2016 with I believe a Montreal newspaper regarding this. I remember reading it then and of course can not find the interview now. In the interview Don stated he would consider re-forming the Eagles if Deacon Frey agreed to be part of it.

Dawn
12-16-2017, 01:56 PM
UTW - He gave another interview in March 2016 with I believe a Montreal newspaper regarding this. I remember reading it then and of course can not find the interview now. In the interview Don stated he would consider re-forming the Eagles if Deacon Frey agreed to be part of it.

I don't remember when but I definitly recall Don stating he would consider reforming if Deacon agreed to be a part of it. Later, he back pedaled the comment saying he hadn't discussed it with Cindy or Deacon and it was another lesson in keeping his mouth shut.

Given this is what happened ... Deacon did join the band ...it would appear the idea could certainly have germinated shortly after the private memorial at the Forum.

UndertheWire
12-16-2017, 02:04 PM
NKIT, this (http://montrealgazette.com/entertainment/music/qa-don-henley-on-growing-up-in-cass-county-eagles-and-coping-with-the-loss-of-glenn-frey) is the September interview which was published just before Don played Montreal.

sodascouts
12-16-2017, 02:36 PM
I remember that interview in September 2016 well. I foolishly believed Don when he said he was taken out of context and that he had no intention of reforming the Eagles with Deacon. How confidently I proclaimed "the truth" that the Eagles were done in the thread it sparked (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6689&page=10)!

I trusted him.

I look back now at my posts declaring to the cynical doubters that Don meant what he said, and it makes me so freaking sad. When he broke his word, he broke my heart.

Freypower
12-16-2017, 06:02 PM
I remember that interview in September 2016 well. I foolishly believed Don when he said he was taken out of context and that he had no intention of reforming the Eagles with Deacon. How confidently I proclaimed "the truth" that the Eagles were done in the thread it sparked (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6689&page=10)!

I trusted him.

I look back now at my posts declaring to the cynical doubters that Don meant what he said, and it makes me so freaking sad. When he broke his word, he broke my heart.

Same here.

Also in the recent Rolling Stone interview, he talked about watching Deacon at his father's memorial service, and then:

It's extraordinary what that young man has done. I saw him sing "Peaceful Easy Feeling" at his father's memorial service. As difficult as that might have been, he was so brave and composed. I'm sure, on the inside, he was churning. After a few months went by, I thought, "Why not see if he would like to be in the band?"

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/don-henley-talks-hotel-california-reissue-eagles-future-w511253

WalshFan88
12-16-2017, 06:41 PM
I echo Soda's sentiment. It was a trust thing and it was broken and it was incredibly saddening that he'd go back on his word. And it made me like DH a little less and soured my opinion of him.

Funk 50
12-16-2017, 07:37 PM
I've never taken any of Henley's statements as gospel. If he stuck to his word when he said, "the Eagles will reunite when Hell Freezes Over", which I'm not even sure he really said, although he's never denied it, I'd have never seen Eagles in concert and Joe Walsh could have died in the rock&roll gutter.

I like to think that, after hearing the suggestion that he may be asked to join the Eagles, Deacon started practicing his Eagles chops, 24/7 (allowing for sleep) and then when Henley back tracked on the idea, somebody close to Deacon, informed Don that Deacon had taken it seriously and had been spending every waking hour, preparing for the invite.

Don is then in a position where he either offers Deacon a chance or serves him a major brushoff. Here's where that nice Mr. Gill comes into the picture. After some discussion, the band decide that maybe Deacon plus an established artist, to absorb some of the pressure, could be made to work. There's so much talent within the Eagles, they could always make it work.

I've always believed that Don, Joe and Tim would reunite as Eagles, some time in the future, I was just surprised that it came so soon after Glenn's death, and that it involved Deacon Frey and Vince Gill. That's how I came up with this particular scenario.

The arguments about huge ticket prices and Don and Irving's cynicism and greed are really nothing new. They've been on the receiving end of such malicious accusations for decades. It never seems to affected their popularity though.

WalshFan88
12-16-2017, 08:12 PM
I like to think that, after hearing the suggestion that he may be asked to join the Eagles, Deacon started practicing his Eagles chops, 24/7 (allowing for sleep) and then when Henley back tracked on the idea, somebody close to Deacon, informed Don that Deacon had taken it seriously and had been spending every waking hour, preparing for the invite.

I highly doubt that this is how it played out. I think it's more of a thing of Don begging Deacon than vice versa. Deacon isn't even a musician's musician, he was more into other interests and his own music he dabbled in was hip-hop. They needed him more than vice versa. Though now he gets to add the Eagles to his resume, so it will help him in the future, regardless of how I feel it was too easy. The only times Deacon even played that kind of music was with Glenn for a couple times, I think maybe a benefit if my mind recalls. Not a diehard player.

YoungEaglesFan
12-16-2017, 09:12 PM
I highly doubt that this is how it played out. I think it's more of a thing of Don begging Deacon than vice versa. Deacon isn't even a musician's musician, he was more into other interests and his own music he dabbled in was hip-hop. They needed him more than vice versa. Though now he gets to add the Eagles to his resume, so it will help him in the future, regardless of how I feel it was too easy. The only times Deacon even played that kind of music was with Glenn for a couple times, I think maybe a benefit if my mind recalls. Not a diehard player.

You could be right but I feel like he has a lot of fun doing this and loves this opportunity. Even if he prefers hip hop this is great for his own career no matter what he does. I doubt don would beg to Deacon. I’m not sure who’s idea it was first but I find the scenario of Don pleading for a reluctant Deacon to join unlikely. For as much Don loves money, he is near the end of his life. His time is the most important thing. He has limited time with his kids who are still young. I don’t think he is willing to just give up all that time in his life just for the sake of money. He must at some level enjoy this or have a deeper reason to do this. Money doesn’t help him that much At this point in his life

Dawn
12-16-2017, 09:31 PM
Lots of people are benefiting from Deacon becoming a touring member of the Eagles because if Henley is being honest the band would NOT have reformed and there would be no 40 plus concert tour paychecks. Think about it. Everyone from Irving Azoff & his Companies, the band members themselves, road crew, transportation companies, hotels, merchandise vendors, ticket brokers, etc the list goes on, ALL are benefiting from the Eagles 2017 and 2018 tour.

Of course, not everyone believes Henley and indeed why would we?

"Accept No Substitutes" - Don Henley

Psst ... unless it's Vince Gill and Deacon Frey.

Dawn
12-16-2017, 09:37 PM
You could be right but I feel like he has a lot of fun doing this and loves this opportunity. Even if he prefers hip hop this is great for his own career no matter what he does. I doubt don would beg to Deacon. I’m not sure who’s idea it was first but I find the scenario of Don pleading for a reluctant Deacon to join unlikely. For as much Don loves money, he is near the end of his life. His time is the most important thing. He has limited time with his kids who are still young. I don’t think he is willing to just give up all that time in his life just for the sake of money. He must at some level enjoy this or have a deeper reason to do this. Money doesn’t help him that much At this point in his life

In addition to multi millions there is an emotional need being satisfied as well.

As for Don, it's called ego.

And,

Feeding the monster they created.

Freypower
12-16-2017, 09:38 PM
Lots of people are benefiting from Deacon becoming a touring member of the Eagles because if Henley is being honest the band would NOT have reformed and there would be no 40 plus concert tour paychecks. Think about it. Everyone from Irving Azoff & his Companies, the band members themselves, road crew, transportation companies, hotels, merchandise vendors, ticket brokers, etc the list goes on, ALL are benefiting from the Eagles 2017 and 2018 tour.

Of course, not everyone believes Henley and indeed why would we?

"Accept No Substitutes" - Don Henley

Psst ... unless it's Vince Gill and Deacon Frey.

The people who are not benefiting are people like you and me who feel betrayed & hurt that people actually want to pay these obscene prices to see this act knowing that Glenn Frey is not part of it. It's the acquiescence in it that I find so hard to deal with. I thought there would be more resistance on this board if not amongst the general public. How wrong I was.

Dawn
12-16-2017, 09:40 PM
The people who are not benefiting are people like you and me who feel betrayed & hurt that people actually want to pay these obscene prices to see this act knowing that Glenn Frey is not part of it. It's the acquiescence in it that I find so hard to deal with. I thought there would be more resistance on this board if not amongst the general public. How wrong I was.

Yes, I find it very troubling as well.

WalshFan88
12-16-2017, 09:43 PM

I wouldn't be so sure, YEF.

YoungEaglesFan
12-16-2017, 11:18 PM
I wouldn't be so sure, YEF.

I’ll easily agree that I could be wrong. I just don’t think it’s solely money. Don spends a lot of his time doing business stuff. He has stated his desire to travel a couple years with his son. But with his touring that makes it hard. Money is key motivator for him to do this but I just don’t that’s the only thing. He could make a lot by selling a lot of stuff in the vault but doesn’t because of other reasons. I think it’s a few reasons not just one. But I cannot claim to know any of this

YoungEaglesFan
12-16-2017, 11:20 PM
In addition to multi millions there is an emotional need being satisfied as well.

As for Don, it's called ego.

And,

Feeding the monster they created.

I don’t really see how him continuing builds his ego. Again these guys are old, his living standard won’t increase of this tour. So if he willing to sacrifice that much time there needs to be something else he likes about it. Money helps yes but at this point his relative wealth is intact. Unless he wants more for his kids, more money won’t mean that much to him at this age

YoungEaglesFan
12-16-2017, 11:23 PM
I’m just curious but had Glenn wanted the band to move on without him with Deacon replacing him, would the anti 3.0 side be ok with this? Or would you think that any group without Glenn calling themselves the Eagles would be wrong?

Dawn
12-16-2017, 11:44 PM
I’m just curious but had Glenn wanted the band to move on without him with Deacon replacing him, would the anti 3.0 side be ok with this? Or would you think that any group without Glenn calling themselves the Eagles would be wrong?

I can only speak for myself and tell you at this point I don't care to waste my time or energy playing "what if" games.

YoungEaglesFan
12-16-2017, 11:48 PM
I can only speak for myself and tell you at this point I don't care to waste my time or energy playing "what if" games.

That’s fine I’m just trying to understand if the anti 3.0 group is more motivated by believing Glenn would be against this or that the Eagles can’t exist without Glenn.

Dawn
12-16-2017, 11:51 PM
I don’t really see how him continuing builds his ego. Again these guys are old, his living standard won’t increase of this tour. So if he willing to sacrifice that much time there needs to be something else he likes about it. Money helps yes but at this point his relative wealth is intact. Unless he wants more for his kids, more money won’t mean that much to him at this age

I think you are projecting. Of course ego is a very big part of all this. As is money. SMH

YoungEaglesFan
12-16-2017, 11:57 PM
I think you are projecting. Of course ego is a very big part of all this. As is money. SMH

I’m just giving my opinion on what is causing them to continue based off the information I have. I am taking a guess but no one here knows the truth so we are projecting at some level. But you have your opinion and I have mine so unless new information comes out I guess we’ll just have to agree to disagree

Dawn
12-17-2017, 12:29 AM
I’m just giving my opinion on what is causing them to continue based off the information I have. I am taking a guess but no one here knows the truth so we are projecting at some level. But you have your opinion and I have mine so unless new information comes out I guess we’ll just have to agree to disagree

No offense, but that's fine with me. I am not the one in the wrong car lane. This is the 3.0 thread.

YoungEaglesFan
12-17-2017, 01:50 AM
No offense, but that's fine with me. I am not the one in the wrong car lane. This is the 3.0 thread.

I’m afraid I don’t know what you mean by “no offense, but that’s fine with me”

chaim
12-17-2017, 03:26 AM

Maybe slightly more ok with this happening, but I still wouldn't personally think of the band as "Eagles". And musically I'd still have zero interest. I'm not sure about the first thing I said ("this happening"), but I'm sure about the other two (band name/interest musically).

Funk 50
12-17-2017, 08:38 AM
I'd love Don, Joe and Tim to tour with a non Eagles billing. It would mean cheaper tickets, smaller venues, fewer backing musicians and a more interesting set list.

From the band's and their enormous entourage's point of view, I don't think it looks as attractive. ;)

Dawn
12-17-2017, 09:39 AM
I’m afraid I don’t know what you mean by “no offense, but that’s fine with me”

As you are well aware, this thread is for fans who are not supportive of the current lineup. It is not about satisfying your "curiousity" or engaging in passive aggressive what if games. If others choose to explain/defend their thoughts and feelings that is their choice. Personally, I choose to ignore you from here on out.

Edited to Add

How many times and ways can the same questions be asked and answered? Apparently ad nauseam.

WKMB55
12-17-2017, 10:09 AM
I would like to thank Soda for being compassionate and considerate of those who aren't thrilled about Don, Joe and Timothy's choices since Glenn's passing. She has provided "Eagles 3.0" as a place where posts can be shared by those who are against and don't support the current band's activities. My opinion is that everyone needs to be grateful for her understanding because in the "real" world no one cares whether people like the decisions of the 3 remaining Eagles or not.

YoungEaglesFan
12-17-2017, 11:37 AM
As you are well aware, this thread is for fans who are not supportive of the current lineup. It is not about satisfying your "curiousity" or engaging in passive aggressive what if games. If others choose to explain/defend their thoughts and feelings that is their choice. Personally, I choose to ignore you from here on out.

Edited to Add

How many times and ways can the same questions be asked and answered? Apparently ad nauseam.

I wasn’t trying to be passive aggressive at all, I am sorry Dawn if it came across that way. I earlier had trouble understanding some of you and other people’s views so I just tried to learn more. I don’t feel me asking a question to help understand the viewpoint of those who oppose the lineup as being not on topic. But I do sympathize with the sentiment that this thread is for those who don’t agree with it and shouldn’t be forced to deal with opposition. I will not comment further to help keep it that way. My apologies

EagleInKansas
12-17-2017, 11:45 AM
Has anyone actually asked L101, who started this thread simply with the news from Billboard that the Eagles would headline the Classic concerte, what the thread is "for?" This thread can be for whatever the poster wants it to be. It just so happens the most vocal people are the ones who want to take shots at everyone involved with the current lineup. And I have strong opinions on which side is being most "passive-aggressive" and making others needlessly defend themselves, but I won't share them this early on a Sunday.

WKMB55
12-17-2017, 12:02 PM
Or you could ask Soda for a clarification since she has ALL the authority and the final decision regarding this website......

Dawn
12-17-2017, 12:11 PM
I will leave it to Soda to answer the question(s) about this thread but obviously in the beginning we were dealing with rumors and speculation in the media about the band reuniting, the identity of the two mystery additions and even what they would call themselves. Many were skeptical waiting for a formal announcement.

Clearly there are fans who take exception to the fact there are fans who DO NOT support the current lineup. And vice versa. Most are considerate and refrain from trying to engage their fellow Borderers in pointless debates and senseless arguments.

Others are just in it to stir the pot.

chaim
12-17-2017, 01:39 PM

Edited to Add

I keep answering questions posted by those who do support the current band. Questions asked from us who don't support it. In my opinion my answers are civilized and don't contain any hate. But it seems that my replies are ignored every single time. I don't know why I bother to answer. Perhaps I should be more angry and rude to be noticed? Perhaps that is what is expected?

chaim
12-17-2017, 01:51 PM
I would like to thank Soda for being compassionate and considerate of those who aren't thrilled about Don, Joe and Timothy's choices since Glenn's passing. She has provided "Eagles 3.0" as a place where posts can be shared by those who are against and don't support the current band's activities. My opinion is that everyone needs to be grateful for her understanding because in the "real" world no one cares whether people like the decisions of the 3 remaining Eagles or not.

Why is the opinion of those who don't support the current Eagles less relevant in the "real" world than any other opinion/comment posted in an internet forum?

New Kid In Town
12-17-2017, 02:50 PM
I keep answering questions posted by those who do support the current band. Questions addressed to us who don't support it. In my opinion my answers are civilized and don't contain any hate. But it seems that my replies are ignored every single time. I don't know why I bother to answer. Perhaps I should be more angry and rude to be noticed? Perhaps that is what is expected?

Chaim - I have never seen anything but respectful posts from you. I think most people try to be respectful but there are few who can get nasty. Keep posting because I always enjoy your posts and usually agree with you. :thumbsup:

I haven't been posting here much lately because I personally feel I have expressed how I feel and there really isn't much to be said that has not been said already. And, truthfully, we will never change the minds of those who approve of the "new Eagles" and they will never chance our minds. And that's fine, everyone has a right to their opinion and we will have to agree to disagree.

chaim
12-17-2017, 03:20 PM
Chaim - I have never seen anything but respectful posts from you. I think most people try to be respectful but there are few who can get nasty. Keep posting because I always enjoy your posts and usually agree with you. :thumbsup:

I haven't been posting here much lately because I personally feel I have expressed how I feel and there really isn't much to be said that has not been said already. And, truthfully, we will never change the minds of those who approve of the "new Eagles" and they will never chance our minds. And that's fine, everyone has a right to their opinion and we will have to agree to disagree.

It's just that...at the moment I feel that some people on the "pro-3.0" side are only interested in comments that are totally against the current band situation and pretend that people like me don't even exist. Like polarisation is all there is. I couldn't care less what the band is doing now, but I'm not shouting it from the rooftops, so to speak, so my replies don't seem to count. Tomorrow I'll probably feel differently...:)

YoungEaglesFan
12-17-2017, 03:39 PM
Despite the occasional argument I just want to say that I’m glad that we have this place to discuss the band. I appreciate all the people on here and what they say and how they feel. I don’t know of any other eagles fans so this place is awesome for me. I have never felt animosity towards anyone regardless of their opinion on 3.0 and even if you support it the lineup, this will largely be a forgotten period in the bands history. We all love the band for its music and that will never change. So despite our differences on this issue, we are still fans of the band. I hope that one day we could move on from the issue. I know that will be hard but good people with good hearts occupy this forum so I believe we will move past this.

sodascouts
12-17-2017, 04:04 PM
It's just that...at the moment I feel that some people on the "pro-3.0" side are only interested in comments that are totally against the current band situation and pretend that people like me don't even exist. Like polarisation is all there is. I couldn't care less what the band is doing now, but I'm not shouting it from the rooftops, so to speak, so my replies don't seem to count. Tomorrow I'll probably feel differently...:)

I think at this point, when all the questions have been asked and answered, the only pro people who come in here are those looking to antagonize....

Even those who innocently claim curiosity about matters that have been dealt with in this thread after their arrival, as if they haven't already read the answer to that very loaded question.

Has anyone actually asked L101, who started this thread simply with the news from Billboard that the Eagles would headline the Classic concerte, what the thread is "for?" This thread can be for whatever the poster wants it to be. It just so happens the most vocal people are the ones who want to take shots at everyone involved with the current lineup. And I have strong opinions on which side is being most "passive-aggressive" and making others needlessly defend themselves, but I won't share them this early on a Sunday.

There's also the zealots like EIK who don't want there to be even one thread where people who don't like the current situation aren't being told off, and have made it their mission to do so regularly.

Oh, and FYI: L101 didn't start this thread. I started this thread. I moved her post from "Eagles Mentions in the Press" and retitled it to merge it with steve_e_dee's thread and keep everything on the same topic together. Initially, it discussed whether or not the band reforming was a good idea before we knew for sure it was going to happen. Now that everything has changed with the band situation, the purpose of this thread has changed, too.

So in case anyone is wondering, this thread has become the venue for people who aren't happy about the current line-up to express themselves. It is not a venue for browbeating those who aren't into the band continuing, nor is it a venue for crap-stirrers who are looking for a fight to come and rile everybody up.

Edited to add: There are some exceptions from the pro camp who post in this thread, I know. It just seems like those exceptions are not nearly as prolific as the antagonistic posters.

Freypower
12-17-2017, 04:38 PM
I'd love Don, Joe and Tim to tour with a non Eagles billing. It would mean cheaper tickets, smaller venues, fewer backing musicians and a more interesting set list.

From the band's and their enormous entourage's point of view, I don't think it looks as attractive. ;)

I guess it was only a matter of time before the suggestion was made that Glenn's songs be dispensed with. Allthough if they were, and the 'guests' were also dispensed with, it would be more acceptable to me, to be honest. I have stated my view that Glenn's songs don't need to be performed live to be remembered. I certainly don't want them being played just for obligation's sake.

I will answer the question about whether the anti 3.0 people would be happier with it if it only included Deacon, although I have answered it before, as have others. The answer is NO.

I'm not getting into any arguments about who is being 'passive aggressive' or what this thread is 'for'. It has become a thread for those of us who disagree with 3.0. Surely we can be allowed to have it. Others have the rest of the board to express their 'excitement' or whatever they want to call it. For myself I will not be browbeaten or told how to feel.

ETA: Seeing Soda's edit above, I have no wish to antagonise anybody, but I'm tired of constantly having to explain why I'm against 3.0. I shouldn't have to do it.

WKMB55
12-17-2017, 05:22 PM
I happen to think whether you're pro or con on this subject, all legitimate opinions and the people who express them deserve equal consideration. My point was that people who post on this board under any topic and specifically the "Eagles....3.0" thread are expected to be respectful and refrain from personal attacks and vulgar language against those with an opposing view. However you might not be able to expect to receive the same protection or treatment that you receive here if you express an opinion which is opposite to someone elses in the work lunch room or a restaurant or a bar or anywhere else people are having discussions face to face (which I think of as the "real" world as opposed to sitting in the comfort of my own home typing on a keyboard where my identity is somewhat obscured). It was never my intention to suggest that one side was less or more important than the other.

Freypower
12-17-2017, 05:28 PM
I happen to think whether you're pro or con on this subject, all opinions are equal. My point was that people who post on this board under any topic and specifically the "Eagles....3.0" thread are expected to be respectful and refrain from personal attacks and vulgar language against those with an opposing view. However you might not be able to expect to receive the same protection or treatment if you express an opinion which is opposite to someone elses in the work lunch room or a restaurant or bar or anywhere else people are having discussions face to face (which I think of as the "real" world as opposed to sitting in the comfort of my own home typing on a keyboard where my identity is somewhat obscured).

That isn't what you said in your previous post. You said that in the real world 'no one cares' about the survivors' decisions. This has been the line of the pro 3.0 crowd from day one; they're doing it, whether you like it or not. Suck it up. It's eerily similar to 'Trump won. Suck it up, snowflakes'.

sodascouts
12-17-2017, 05:52 PM
I will answer the question about whether the anti 3.0 people would be happier with it if it only included Deacon, although I have answered it before, as have others. The answer is NO.

People who think I would be A-OK with the Eagles continuing if it were only Deacon just don't get it.

It's not the Eagles without Glenn Frey.

Notice that sentence does not say "It's not the Eagles without someone related to Glenn Frey."

Geez.

WKMB55
12-17-2017, 06:38 PM
Freypower, no one in the real world does care whether or not you or I or anyone else support or don't support the band's decisions. It is also true that Don, Joe and Timothy along with Vince and Deacon have gone forward whether anyone else thinks they should or not. Acknowledging those two things doesn't make a person either for or against the band. At this time, I am neither completely pro or con on their choices. I have seen some thoughts that I consider equally valid on both sides. I have not yet been to a show since 2015. Even though there are currently tickets for sale in my area at two venues, I haven't yet decided whether I will purchase or not. I don't ever publically discuss politics and this is certainly not the proper forum for it anyway. I also can't relate to the comparison between the recent US presidential election and the topic of this thread. I expressed appreciation to Soda for her efforts and understanding and somehow others now want to question the meaning of and criticize my statements. That is to be expected when you post to a public forum.

Freypower
12-17-2017, 06:40 PM
Freypower, no one in the real world does care whether or not you or I or anyone else support or don't support the band's decisions. It is also true that Don, Joe and Timothy along with Vince and Deacon have gone forward whether anyone else thinks they should or not. Acknowledging those two things doesn't make a person either for or against the band. At this time, I am neither completely pro or con on their choices. I have seen some thoughts that I consider equally valid on both sides. I have not yet been to a show since 2015. Even though there are currently tickets for sale in my area at two venues, I haven't yet decided whether I will purchase or not. I don't ever publically discuss politics and this is certainly not the proper forum for it anyway. I also can't relate to the comparison between the recent US presidential election and the topic of this thread. I expressed appreciation to Soda for her efforts and understanding and somehow others now want to question the meaning of and criticize my statements. That is to be expected when you post to a public forum.

I made a comparison between the attitudes of Trump supporters & 3.0 supporters. I said they were similar. I was not discussing politics per se.

New Kid In Town
12-17-2017, 07:06 PM

WKMB55 - I think the statement I bolded is not necessarily true. I bet there have been tons of pro vs con arguments/conversations over this. If you decide to go see them be prepared to pay a fortune for tickets. I have checked prices and they are selling front row seats at some venues for $1,640.00 - which is more that tickets for the HOTE tour. Poor Buffy had wanted to attend their concert in Columbus,Ohio but the tickets were too expensive for her and her family. This is one of the many things people have against this whole thing. It is pure greed to charge that amount of money. Just one more example of Don going against his word when he stated it would be "pure greed" to get back together.

WKMB55
12-17-2017, 07:47 PM
NKIT currently at the two venues I am considering, there are floor seats available about 18 rows from the front as well as first level seats close to both sides of the stage for about $300. These tickets are not part of a VIP package and are not resale. Although I don't make it a habit of buying tickets that cost $300 or more, I have done so on several occasions for other concerts, Broadway plays, college bowl games or professional sporting events. I still am not sure that this is something I want to see.

WalshFan88
12-17-2017, 07:55 PM
I think at this point, when all the questions have been asked and answered, the only pro people who come in here are those looking to antagonize....

Even those who innocently claim curiosity about matters that have been dealt with in this thread after their arrival, as if they haven't already read the answer to that very loaded question.

There's also the zealots like EIK who don't want there to be even one thread where people who don't like the current situation aren't being told off, and have made it their mission to do so regularly.

Oh, and FYI: L101 didn't start this thread. I started this thread. I moved her post from "Eagles Mentions in the Press" and retitled it to merge it with steve_e_dee's thread and keep everything on the same topic together. Initially, it discussed whether or not the band reforming was a good idea before we knew for sure it was going to happen. Now that everything has changed with the band situation, the purpose of this thread has changed, too.

So in case anyone is wondering, this thread has become the venue for people who aren't happy about the current line-up to express themselves. It is not a venue for browbeating those who aren't into the band continuing, nor is it a venue for crap-stirrers who are looking for a fight to come and rile everybody up.

Edited to add: There are some exceptions from the pro camp who post in this thread, I know. It just seems like those exceptions are not nearly as prolific as the antagonistic posters.

Exactly. EIK is just a pot-stirrer.

New Kid In Town
12-17-2017, 07:56 PM
NKIT currently at the two venues I am considering, there are floor seats available about 18 rows from the front as well as first level seats close to both sides of the stage for about $300. These tickets are not part of a VIP package and are not resale. Although I don't make it a habit of buying tickets that cost $300 or more, I have done so on several occasions for other concerts or Broadway plays. I still am not sure that this is something I want to see.

The venue I saw the front row ticket for $1,640.00 was not a VIP package. It was the actual price of a ticket. I read on Eagles FL FB page that they are not doing VIP packages for the up coming tours. $300.00 is not that bad a price but I can see Billy Joel at MSG for that same price(which I hope to do next year).

WalshFan88
12-17-2017, 07:59 PM

Your post IS passive-aggressive, EIK. "I have strong (negative) opinions about "you", but out of consideration of you, I won't share them". That is passive-aggressive, EIK. That's basically what you are implying. It's highly ironic if you ask me. JMO.

It's like those who preface something with "no offense" and then say something blantly offensive. As if we are just supposed to suck it up and take it. No thanks.

WalshFan88
12-17-2017, 08:08 PM
Freypower, no one in the real world does care whether or not you or I or anyone else support or don't support the band's decisions.

Not true....also I can understand FP's comment. You don't have to acknowledge any of it. There is a reason "Not MY President" exists. You don't have to accept it.