PDA

View Full Version : For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

TimBFan
03-20-2018, 12:03 PM
“We brought 14 semi-tractor-trailer trucks full of stuff, four backup musicians, five string players, five horn players, four security guys, 82 crew members …. and one accountant,”

Don mentioned this also at last nights show in KC and also mentioned how many tour buses there were with at least 12 people on each bus. To me, it was a nod to all the people who help them on a daily basis so they could bring their music to the fans.

Dawn
03-20-2018, 02:26 PM
“We brought 14 semi-tractor-trailer trucks full of stuff, four backup musicians, five string players, five horn players, four security guys, 82 crew members …. and one accountant,”

Don mentioned this also at last nights show in KC and also mentioned how many tour buses there were with at least 12 people on each bus. To me, it was a nod to all the people who help them on a daily basis so they could bring their music to the fans.

I also think it could be a scripted permanent part of the show and the accountant mention is intended to address critics past and present.

BTW, regarding the accountant ... this isn't just my opinion. Read the reviews. just sayin' ...

sodascouts
03-20-2018, 11:20 PM
People who post in this thread essentially agree with the following statements by Don Henley made on November 28, 2016 in The Washington Post (https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/music/don-henley-says-the-eagles-are-done-it-was-always-glenn-freys-band/2016/11/28/ccd89a4a-aa6a-11e6-977a-1030f822fc35_story.html?utm_term=.d406495b8ec7):
“I don’t see how we could go out and play without the guy who started the band [...] It would just seem like greed or something. It would seem like a desperate thing.”
Irving Azoff asked Best Classic Bands (http://osecrobotics.com/bestclassicbands/dan-fogelberg-tribute-album-interview-11-16-17/) on November 16, 2017: "What's your definition of the Eagles? Glenn's gone."

Here's ours:

It's not the Eagles without Glenn Frey.

If the above doesn't describe you, don't post in this thread.

WalshFan88
03-21-2018, 01:28 AM
There is a review of last night's show in St. Louis...it is statements like this

"Though bowed by the loss of Frey, the band is not broken and in some ways sounds better than ever."

and this

"Once again, the band has been transformed and rejuvenated, just as it was with the previous substitutions of Joe Walsh for Bernie Leadon, Timothy B. Schmit for Randy Meisner and sideman Steuart Smith for Don Felder."

that make me upset. Like it is just one more change in the line up. Substituting out one more band member. It reduces Glenn's significance to the same as other band members who came and went over the years - (and I think that Bernie, Randy, and Felder all deserve more credit than this article gives, too.).

Sorry if I'm reiterating what has already been said, I just had to vent. I should stop reading these things, but I'm curious, so I look, and then I get upset again.

The link to the article is below if anyone wants to read it.

http://www.stltoday.com/entertainment/music/reviews/unbreakable-the-eagles-sound-better-than-ever-at-scottrade-show/article_3356ab08-f861-5289-93e8-2f266dfdc719.html

That's disgusting. I don't know who that writer is but they mustn't know what they are talking about. The idea that the Eagles are some how now "rejuvenated" is asinine and isn't worth the ink or the bandwidth it's printed on.

I'm not going to even read past what you've quoted. I refuse to give them a view to their website which will fill the pockets of idiotic reviewers like that.

Dawn
03-21-2018, 02:31 PM
That's disgusting. I don't know who that writer is but they mustn't know what they are talking about. The idea that the Eagles are some how now "rejuvenated" is asinine and isn't worth the ink or the bandwidth it's printed on.

I'm not going to even read past what you've quoted. I refuse to give them a view to their website which will fill the pockets of idiotic reviewers like that.

Yes, this is one of the reviews where the writer expressed an opinion as to what he thought Henley's remarks about the entourage/accountant might have been in reference to:

"That last detail may have been a defiant shot at those who thought that money is the sole consideration in having the band continue after the 2016 passing of Glenn Frey, Henley’s fellow founding band member."

WalshFan88
03-21-2018, 04:36 PM
Yes, this is one of the reviews where the writer expressed an opinion as to what he thought Henley's remarks about the entourage/accountant might have been in reference to:

"That last detail may have been a defiant shot at those who thought that money is the sole consideration in having the band continue after the 2016 passing of Glenn Frey, Henley’s fellow founding band member."

Yep.

Sorry Don, but your "joke" about only having one accountant or as to insinuate this isn't a shameless money grab isn't working with me, and I doubt I'm the only one. If he wants to take shots at us naysayers, he needs to have the intestinal fortitude to step away from little jokes and quips and come out and say exactly what he means. And he better make a pretty convincing case that it's not just a money grab when all signs point to yes for me and some others.

Dawn
03-21-2018, 10:24 PM
Yep.

Sorry Don, but your "joke" about only having one accountant or as to insinuate this isn't a shameless money grab isn't working with me, and I doubt I'm the only one. If he wants to take shots at us naysayers, he needs to have the intestinal fortitude to step away from little jokes and quips and come out and say exactly what he means. And he better make a pretty convincing case that it's not just a money grab when all signs point to yes for me and some others.

I don't know who is calling the shots but like the publicity photo I gotta believe when it comes to the image of the band/brand there are no accidents.

YoungEaglesFan
03-26-2018, 12:06 AM
I know this isn’t my thread but I saw that Deacon Frey put in his bio on instagram “Eagles since ‘17”. I felt that this is information that is relevant to this topic.

chaim
03-26-2018, 02:54 AM
I know this isn’t my thread but I saw that Deacon Frey put in his bio on instagram “Eagles since ‘17”. I felt that this is information that is relevant to this topic.

Well he has been with the Eagles since 2017 hasn't he. :-)

YoungEaglesFan
03-26-2018, 07:56 AM
Well he has been with the Eagles since 2017 hasn't he. :-)

Well I remember some discussion about Deacon and Vince, and if they are becoming long term members and if they are considered “Eagles”.

chaim
03-26-2018, 10:03 AM
Well I remember some discussion about Deacon and Vince, and if they are becoming long term members and if they are considered “Eagles”.

Does the bio say that he's an actual member? Personally I don't care for Deacon in the band, but I'd expect it to show in the bio in some way.

Dawn
03-26-2018, 10:24 AM
Does the bio say that he's an actual member? Personally I don't care for Deacon in the band, but I'd expect it to show in the bio in some way.

This is a good point. Who are the Eagles.

Ive always been a dreamer
03-26-2018, 01:36 PM
Yeah - I'd say we can safely put the ‘Glenn can’t be replaced’ discussion to rest. He has been and even the band has acknowledged that.

I was so busy putting out fires recently that I never really got to weigh in on the picture controversy. I am posting in this 'safe' thread because I personally feel this has been debated to death. When we are discussing things like this, I do think we should stick to discussing how we feel about it and try not to read too much into them. I do believe there is a lot of thought and effort that goes into selecting the band’s publicity photos, and we can express ourselves in terms of the vibe we get from it. And I don’t want to pick on FP too much because I think she was unfairly raked through the coals for her comments and has acknowledged her mistake. But, I did disagree with this comment:

Schmit never used to pose in such a truculent, arms folded, manner before & Henley's body language is also very telling.

First of all, I don’t think the styling of the picture is that different from many others over the years – you can find many that are similar. There are many pictures of all the band members posing with their arms folded … here’s one of Timothy …

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/images/eaglesCMT01.jpg

But, I don’t ever recall any of them being described as truculent – that’s a pretty strong, inflammatory term. And Don’s stance in the recent photo is one that he frequently uses in band photos, so I’m not sure what is so telling about this particular one. In any event, I’m just trying to say that these are the kind of comments that get others riled up and incites lots of friction and criticism, so I think we could avoid less judgment if we express ourselves in less provocative terms.

As far as myself, when I saw the picture, I wasn’t angry – I was just sad, especially with the caption that listed them all as Eagles, which, of course, reinforces that Glenn has been replaced. To me, any reminder of this version of the band is like continuouly twisting a knife in an old wound. Along the same lines, I have only watched two or three 3.0 videos with Deacon performing and have never watched one with Vince. I did decide to watch the How Long video the other day out of curiosity and, predictably, it had the same effect on me. But, I did also feel somewhat outraged. I’m not saying that Deacon didn’t do a decent job, but how misinformed critics can listen to this and say this is a better version of the Eagles is outrageous and ignorant as far as I’m concerned. They can say they enjoyed the concert without the absurdity.

YoungEaglesFan
03-26-2018, 01:45 PM

I think it’s pretty new. It wasn’t in before. I just think it means it’s a larger part of his life now

Dawn
03-26-2018, 05:57 PM
Yes, ignorant and absurd but more than anything it is sad.

Dawn
03-26-2018, 06:04 PM
I have listened to Vince and Deacon and personally, I remain completely underwhelmed.

Freypower
03-26-2018, 07:17 PM
Yeah - I'd say we can safely put the ‘Glenn can’t be replaced’ discussion to rest. He has been and even the band has acknowledged that.

I was so busy putting out fires recently that I never really got to weigh in on the picture controversy. I am posting in this 'safe' thread because I personally feel this has been debated to death. When we are discussing things like this, I do think we should stick to discussing how we feel about it and try not to read too much into them. I do believe there is a lot of thought and effort that goes into selecting the band’s publicity photos, and we can express ourselves in terms of the vibe we get from it. And I don’t want to pick on FP too much because I think she was unfairly raked through the coals for her comments and has acknowledged her mistake. But, I did disagree with this comment:

First of all, I don’t think the styling of the picture is that different from many others over the years – you can find many that are similar. There are many pictures of all the band members posing with their arms folded … here’s one of Timothy …

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/images/eaglesCMT01.jpg

But, I don’t ever recall any of them being described as truculent – that’s a pretty strong, inflammatory term. And Don’s stance in the recent photo is one that he frequently uses in band photos, so I’m not sure what is so telling about this particular one. In any event, I’m just trying to say that these are the kind of comments that get others riled up and incites lots of friction and criticism, so I think we could avoid less judgment if we express ourselves in less provocative terms.

As far as myself, when I saw the picture, I wasn’t angry – I was just sad, especially with the caption that listed them all as Eagles, which, of course, reinforces that Glenn has been replaced. To me, any reminder of this version of the band is like continuouly twisting a knife in an old wound. Along the same lines, I have only watched two or three 3.0 videos with Deacon performing and have never watched one with Vince. I did decide to watch the How Long video the other day out of curiosity and, predictably, it had the same effect on me. But, I did also feel somewhat outraged. I’m not saying that Deacon didn’t do a decent job, but how misinformed critics can listen to this and say this is a better version of the Eagles is outrageous and ignorant as far as I’m concerned. They can say they enjoyed the concert without the absurdity.

Dreamer, I agree that the word 'truculent' was out of line but it was a heat of the moment comment. I realise how upset it made people. I can't take it back but I apologise for it. I was letting off steam. If I try & elaborate further on why I chose that particular word I will exacerbate the situation again. I have learned a valuable lesson. I see that more comments have been made about the photo elsewhere. I will not contribute.

I have not watched any new videos, even ones with Deacon singing, and won't. But I notice the tone of the board changing, with this situation becoming normalised, and more & more people accepting it as being the new normal.

So pushing back against it & raging at it seems more & more pointless. I guess that means that the voices of the dissenters will fade away. And perhaps that is what is the saddest part of all this.

WalshFan88
03-26-2018, 08:24 PM
This is a true story. The name has been changed to protect the guilty or the innocent, depending on your point of view. I'm in the former camp right now.

I have a friend, let's call him Bob. Bob is a fellow guitar player and I played in a group with his uncle. When I met him he was an older teen big into the kind of music I was. So I invited him to the house a few times to jam and try out gear he hadn't got yet. We had him up to play a couple of times and he was good.

Today he sends me this in a PM. "Guess what buddy, I've got tickets to see the Eagles tonight! I know you love them. I'm mostly excited for Vince Gill though, lol".

I wanted to reach through the computer screen and shake some sense into him. He's quite a few years younger than me but an adult now.

Now I have to wonder if he is just messing with me to get my goat, as if he somehow found out my distaste of this lineup, or if it was just a weird innocent coincidence. I'm going with the latter as I don't know how he would know about how I feel about them now, because this is the only place I share that info.

I mustered a "Have fun tonight. Congrats." I also said "I'm a diehard Glenn Frey fan but I always loved watching Joe, he's funny". Maybe he'll get the message. That was the best I could do. Buddy, if you want to see Vince Gill so dang much, you can see him solo, where he actually might shine. If you want to see the Eagles, see the freaking Eagles. Vince Gill ain't the Eagles, no matter what he might be doing right now. His voice doesn't fit and Walsh/Stu have the guitars.

He was never an Eagles fan the time I knew him, we only talk online occasionally at this point as we just drifted apart for no particular reason. Haven't seen him in a couple years. This didn't help matters much. He always tells me what he's doing that I might like, but never comments or likes or talks about what I've got going.

It just rubbed me wrong. Bad way to start a week. Ugh. Slap in the face.

Dawn
03-26-2018, 09:08 PM
I just want to reassure folks that I am 100% opposed to this venture and will never change my thoughts/feelings. I find it to be indefensible.

WalshFan88
03-26-2018, 09:12 PM
I just want to reassure folks that I am 100% opposed to this venture and will never change my thoughts/feelings. I find it to be indefensible.

Amen.

Dawn
03-26-2018, 09:22 PM
This is a true story. The name has been changed to protect the guilty or the innocent, depending on your point of view. I'm in the former camp right now.

I have a friend, let's call him Bob. Bob is a fellow guitar player and I played in a group with his uncle. When I met him he was an older teen big into the kind of music I was. So I invited him to the house a few times to jam and try out gear he hadn't got yet. We had him up to play a couple of times and he was good.

Today he sends me this in a PM. "Guess what buddy, I've got tickets to see the Eagles tonight! I know you love them. I'm mostly excited for Vince Gill though, lol".

I wanted to reach through the computer screen and shake some sense into him. He's quite a few years younger than me but an adult now.

Now I have to wonder if he is just messing with me to get my goat, as if he somehow found out my distaste of this lineup, or if it was just a weird innocent coincidence. I'm going with the latter as I don't know how he would know about how I feel about them now, because this is the only place I share that info.

I mustered a "Have fun tonight. Congrats." I also said "I'm a diehard Glenn Frey fan but I always loved watching Joe, he's funny". Maybe he'll get the message. That was the best I could do. Buddy, if you want to see Vince Gill so dang much, you can see him solo, where he actually might shine. If you want to see the Eagles, see the freaking Eagles. Vince Gill ain't the Eagles, no matter what he might be doing right now. His voice doesn't fit and Walsh/Stu have the guitars.

He was never an Eagles fan the time I knew him, we only talk online occasionally at this point as we just drifted apart for no particular reason. Haven't seen him in a couple years. This didn't help matters much. He always tells me what he's doing that I might like, but never comments or likes or talks about what I've got going.

It just rubbed me wrong. Bad way to start a week. Ugh. Slap in the face.

Austin, my heart goes out to you and I just want to say the way you handled this situation was very mature and dignified. Your friend "Bob" probably isn't aware of your feelings about the Eagles and perhaps there will come a time when you can share those feelings - if he is any kind of a friend he will respect your feelings and who knows -- he might just learn something.

Hang in there.

Allbest,

Dawn

New Kid In Town
03-26-2018, 09:39 PM

Amen Dawn, me too.

Austin, Hang in there. You were wonderful the way you handled your friend 's PM about seeing the Eagles. You did the right thing.

03-26-2018, 10:52 PM
FP - Thanks for your apology, but it isn't necessary. You have already expressed regret numerous times and as I said, I think the personal attacks against you were inexcusable.

And another ditto, Dawn. I will NEVER defend the band's decision to continue no matter what arguments anyone tries to make. I believe in my core that it is WRONG!

And Austin, well done. I don't remember if I put this on the board before or not, but the day after the dates in Nashville were announced, I got a phone call from my aunt, who lives there. The first thing she said to me was "It looks like you are coming to visit me." At first, it didn't register, and I said, "I am?" And she said, "I just heard on the radio that the Eagles coming here in March." So, I had to tell her how I felt. She actually knows Vince Gill and knew that he had done the Classic shows with the band, but assumed they were one-offs. She couldn't believe it when I told her he was going on an extended tour with them. She doesn't see it as a very good fit and feels like he should take care of his solo career. Anyway, after a long conversation, she said she could understand how I felt, and we agreed that I would come to visit her soon anyway. So, I'm planning a trip next month.

sodascouts
03-27-2018, 12:42 AM
I've said it before - my attitude is to just endure this until it's over. I don't have the energy to be in a constant state of outrage, although I will still react to the kind of crap we've been seeing of late, that's for sure. However, my default reaction when I hear about these shows now, like Dreamer, is sadness.

I will never recognize these men who are touring right now as the Eagles.

sodascouts
03-27-2018, 12:52 AM
“Eagles since ‘17”

An oxymoron.

chaim
03-27-2018, 03:26 AM
I don't think I'd have a problem telling people that I don't consider it Eagles anymore and that I personally find it ridiculous. But I might add "it's just how I feel". However, I don't have people around me who like the band (except my father) or are interested in the fact that I do.

I've had a couple of (sort of) "Austin moments" with The Orchestra. "Oh, he went to see ELO". Aaarrgghhhh.

By the way, Austin, "Bob" probably just didn't know.

Brooke
03-27-2018, 12:38 PM
Well done, Austin. I feel like you all do about this, too.

I've had a couple friends on Fb post and tag me that the Eagles were going to be close by. I finally did post to one friend that it wasn't the Eagles to me since their founder was gone and I just wasn't interested seeing this version. They said they understood.

I'd agree with Chaim that they probably just didn't know.

longtimeeaglesfan
03-27-2018, 02:19 PM
I read this yesterday regarding Steely Dan touring in 2018. Similarly, a founding member (Walter Becker) died.

In a September installment of Rolling Stone's Music Now podcast, Fagen admitted he would "would actually prefer to call [the group] Donald Fagen and the Steely Dan Band or something like that." He added, "We got a lot of flak from Live Nation about [not] calling it Steely Dan … To me, Steely Dan was just me and Walter."

I'm sure similar forces were at play to keep the Henley/Schmit/Walsh group that is touring now named "Eagles."

Dawn
03-27-2018, 02:51 PM
I read this yesterday regarding Steely Dan touring in 2018. Similarly, a founding member (Walter Becker) died.

In a September installment of Rolling Stone's Music Now podcast, Fagen admitted he would "would actually prefer to call [the group] Donald Fagen and the Steely Dan Band or something like that." He added, "We got a lot of flak from Live Nation about [not] calling it Steely Dan … To me, Steely Dan was just me and Walter."

I'm sure similar forces were at play to keep the Henley/Schmit/Walsh group that is touring now named "Eagles."

Wow, thanks LTEF, very interesting indeed.

chaim
03-27-2018, 03:34 PM
As far as I know Fagen continued with the dates that had alread been booked? When Glenn died Eagles had no gigs coming up so they could have just remained inactive.

More on topic...As far as I know none of the Eagles have expressed anything but happiness about continuing to be "Eagles". In fact they have added two new people who seem to love performing under that name.

03-27-2018, 03:58 PM

ltef - With all due respect, I guess I'm not seeing the point of posting this in this thread. Perhaps you can clarify. First of all, this Steely Dan comparison is not new and has been discussed several times over the last year or so. So, if you are trying to persuade those of us posting here this this is makes it acceptable, you are pretty much wasting your time and energy. To us, this just reinforces that using the 'Eagles' moniker was because of money. You are not a newbie here and I would think you are aware of what this thread is for. It is not a debate thread. But, just in case I'm wrong and you are unaware of this, I'll copy part of the opening post again:

People who post in this thread essentially agree with the following statements by Don Henley made on November 28, 2016 in The Washington Post (https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/music/don-henley-says-the-eagles-are-done-it-was-always-glenn-freys-band/2016/11/28/ccd89a4a-aa6a-11e6-977a-1030f822fc35_story.html?utm_term=.d406495b8ec7):

“I don’t see how we could go out and play without the guy who started the band [...] It would just seem like greed or something. It would seem like a desperate thing.”
Irving Azoff asked Best Classic Bands (http://osecrobotics.com/bestclassicbands/dan-fogelberg-tribute-album-interview-11-16-17/) on November 16, 2017: "What's your definition of the Eagles? Glenn's gone."

Here's ours:

It's not the Eagles without Glenn Frey.

Personally, I'm not opposed to anyone presenting new arguments as to why the current version of the band is legitimate, although admittedly it would have to be a whopper to convince me. But, honestly, I haven't seen any new arguments presented in a very long time - just a rehash of the same tired stuff. However, it is perfectly okay to continue to debate if you want, you just need to do it here:

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7389

chaim
03-27-2018, 04:28 PM
Yeah, I shouldn't have replied because this indeed is the wrong thread for this. I haven't participated in the previous Steely Dan discussions, so I just jumped right in when I noticed that post.

longtimeeaglesfan
03-27-2018, 04:45 PM
ltef - With all due respect, I guess I'm not seeing the point of posting this in this thread. Perhaps you can clarify. https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7389

I didn't realize this comparison had specifically been made before. I knew comparisons had been made to other bands but I never saw before where Donald Fagan had said he would have preferred to have used another name to tour rather than Steely Dan. My point in posting was to share that perhaps this current group containing Don, Timothy and Joe may have felt the same way but have received a similar negative response from Live Nation.

It was meant to be a neutral post and not an attempt to persuade that touring under the name "Eagles" is right or wrong.

I did search this thread and the other thread and did not see where this was brought up before regarding the naming. I thought it would actually be of more interest here as the posters in this thread are more concerned/upset about the naming of the current band.

03-27-2018, 05:27 PM
I appreciate your response, ltef and thank you for the clarification. However, the problem is that it is not a neutral post because if you support this lineup as legitimate, then your viewpoint is likely to be very different than those who do not. But, I'm not going to move the post since you intended it to be neutral. Those of us who meet the criteria of posting here are free to respond. However, the problem is the we may say something that you disagree with and, viola, before you know it, we have a debate. So if you wish to discuss both sides of this, I would encourage you to copy your post over to the thread that I linked to in my previous post. I'm sure you'll hear from both sides over there. :grin: I may be misremembering, but I think the topic came up just recently in that thread. Thanks for understanding.

sodascouts
03-27-2018, 06:54 PM
Was Henley pressured to go back on the road as the Eagles? Safe bet there!

It would have taken a strong man to maintain his integrity in the face of that kind of pressure, to resist the lure of that kind of paycheck, to put principles over the almighty dollar.

Don Henley was not that man.

WalshFan88
03-27-2018, 11:39 PM
Thanks everyone. Of course I got ANOTHER PM in the night saying how great it was. I said "good to hear" and left it at that. Talk about rubbing it in my face.

Chaim - I'm sure he didn't know how I felt, but still I feel if you want to see Vince Gill, you go see Vince Gill. Makes no since. It'd be like saying I'm going to see Bob Seger's show to see Don Brewer (his drummer), when you could see/hear Don and his music in the Grand Funk Railroad shows where he might shine.

WalshFan88
03-27-2018, 11:40 PM

It would have taken a strong man to maintain his integrity in the face of that kind of pressure, to resist the lure of that kind of paycheck, to put principles over the almighty dollar.

No he wasn't...

03-28-2018, 02:05 AM
As far as I know Fagen continued with the dates that had alread been booked? When Glenn died Eagles had no gigs coming up so they could have just remained inactive.

More on topic...As far as I know none of the Eagles have expressed anything but happiness about continuing to be "Eagles". In fact they have added two new people who seem to love performing under that name.

Toni - no need to apologize for your response - it's natural for some of us to want to respond to this. It's also okay if anyone wants to take the discussion to the other thread, IMO. And BTW - I agree with what you wrote.

And Soda - Like minds. I came here and I was going to post almost the same thing. The only difference is that I also extend the criticism to Joe and Timothy. The only pass I would give them is if it turns out that they were somehow contractually obligated to perform. As I've said repeatedly, I don't object to them wanting to perform and make money. But, clearly, they could have pursued a different course to do this.

FreyFollower
03-28-2018, 02:17 AM
I think that Glenn was the creative visionary and the keeper of the Eagles' legacy; always looking to do whatever was "the best thing for the Eagles". Without him, (IMO) they were left adrift, easily swayed by someone as persuasive as Azoff. In that, I'm more deeply disappointed they are continuing than angry. It was pressure MOST could not resist, but I had thought they would.

chaim
03-28-2018, 02:40 AM
I think that Glenn was the creative visionary and the keeper of the Eagles' legacy; always looking to do whatever was "the best thing for the Eagles". Without him, (IMO) they were left adrift, easily swayed by by someone as persuasive as Azoff. In that, I'm more deeply disappointed they are continuing than angry. It was pressure MOST could not resist, but I had thought they would.

"Disappointed more than angry". I've never really thought about it, but I guess that's how I've always felt about it. Disappointed and sad more than angry. Although I do feel slightly angry when I see that Vince Gill material is played under the Eagles name.

03-28-2018, 12:23 PM
FreyFollower - You expressed yourself beautifully in that last post.

Yep - sadness, disappointment, and betrayal are the words that I most often use to describe how I feel about this. Although, like Toni, I do have occasional spurts of anger, such as when I go over to the official website and when I see ignorant comments that the band is better without Glenn and, yep, Vince Gill solo songs. Fortunately though, the times of anger are short-lived. I come here and vent and usually get over it fairly soon. But the feelings of sadness, disappointment, and betrayal stay with me and get reinforced often. Hopefully, they will fade once the touring is over for good, but they are lingering. I'm not sure they'll ever go away completely, which saddens me even more because this may be my lasting memory of the band that I have loved and adored so much my entire adult life. Yep - I feel cheated and betrayed.

Freypower
03-28-2018, 06:07 PM
And now we are seeing praise of Gill's performance of TITTL.

Oh, the irony. The song which some just would not leave alone, in the way they criticised Glenn's performance of it.

chaim
03-29-2018, 10:06 AM
And now we are seeing praise of Gill's performance of TITTL.

Oh, the irony. The song which some just would not leave alone, in the way they criticised Glenn's performance of it.

Everything about them seems to be 100% perfect now.

Dawn
03-29-2018, 02:03 PM

Yep - sadness, disappointment, and betrayal are the words that I most often use to describe how I feel about this. Although, like Toni, I do have occasional spurts of anger, such as when I go over to the official website and when I see ignorant comments that the band is better without Glenn and, yep, Vince Gill solo songs. Fortunately though, the times of anger are short-lived. I come here and vent and usually get over it fairly soon. But the feelings of sadness, disappointment, and betrayal stay with me and get reinforced often. Hopefully, they will fade once the touring is over for good, but they are lingering. I'm not sure they'll ever go away completely, which saddens me even more because this may be my lasting memory of the band that I have loved and adored so much my entire adult life. Yep - I feel cheated and betrayed.

Pretty much feel the same way. What really bothers me is two years have passed since Glenn's death and still no tribute concert Or official statement that one is being planned. What are they waiting for? The tour to be over to avoid complications? Musician friends of Tom Petty already did a tribute concert. I think maybe two.

groupie2686
03-29-2018, 03:52 PM
Pretty much feel the same way. What really bothers me is two years have passed since Glenn's death and still no tribute concert Or official statement that one is being planned. What are they waiting for? The tour to be over to avoid complications? Musician friends of Tom Petty already did a tribute concert. I think maybe two.

This bothers me too. I honestly doubt they will do a tribute concert. They did do a private one the month after he died, but nothing for the fans. They're apparently barely mentioning him at their concerts anymore.

Brooke
03-29-2018, 03:57 PM
I would say it's not gonna happen now. Too much time has passed. :sad:

WalshFan88
03-29-2018, 04:04 PM
Toni - no need to apologize for your response - it's natural for some of us to want to respond to this. It's also okay if anyone wants to take the discussion to the other thread, IMO. And BTW - I agree with what you wrote.

And Soda - Like minds. I came here and I was going to post almost the same thing. The only difference is that I also extend the criticism to Joe and Timothy. The only pass I would give them is if it turns out that they were somehow contractually obligated to perform. As I've said repeatedly, I don't object to them wanting to perform and make money. But, clearly, they could have pursued a different course to do this.

I also feel upset with Tim and Joe. And its not an exact comparison but I wonder if it was like Felder being upset his buddy Joe wouldn't try to defend him. I feel that way about those guys not trying to put their foot down. Disappointed. I think they want to keep it going as much as Don and aren't going to ruffle feathers.

Dawn
03-29-2018, 04:27 PM
https://www.savingcountrymusic.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/glenn-frey-1.jpg

Glenn Frey was a dreamer. And he was a visionary.

He got things done.

There will never be another Glenn Frey.

groupie2686
03-29-2018, 04:29 PM
I also feel upset with Tim and Joe. And its not an exact comparison but I wonder if it was like Felder being upset his buddy Joe wouldn't try to defend him. I feel that way about those guys not trying to put their foot down. Disappointed. I think they want to keep it going as much as Don and aren't going to ruffle feathers.

I agree It seems like Glenn and Joe were close, and I would have thought Joe at least would feel this wouldn't be right. It reminds me of a documentary on The Who that I've seen, where Pete Townshend talked about the first time they performed with John Entwhistle, and Townshend said he looked over and expected John to be there, and if I remember the quote correctly, he "wanted to die." The Who is continuing on anyway, so perhaps that's not the best comparison, but at least some sort of statement from Henley, Joe, or Tim that this is hard for them...instead of just saying Deacon is great, Vince is great, we're having a great time.

Freypower
03-29-2018, 07:02 PM
I agree It seems like Glenn and Joe were close, and I would have thought Joe at least would feel this wouldn't be right. It reminds me of a documentary on The Who that I've seen, where Pete Townshend talked about the first time they performed with John Entwhistle, and Townshend said he looked over and expected John to be there, and if I remember the quote correctly, he "wanted to die." The Who is continuing on anyway, so perhaps that's not the best comparison, but at least some sort of statement from Henley, Joe, or Tim that this is hard for them...instead of just saying Deacon is great, Vince is great, we're having a great time.

All I have to say to that is:

Led Zeppelin.

New Kid In Town
03-29-2018, 07:11 PM

Dreamer, thank you. I could not have said it better myself. I feel cheated, betrayed and disappointed. We will never see a concert for Glenn. Despite what they say, he has been replaced and is an after thought to them.

WKMB55
03-29-2018, 09:33 PM
We'll never know, but I have often wondered if he and Cindy ever talked about funeral plans maybe even years before Glenn passed. My husband and I would share with each other from time to time things we did and didn't want to happen. My opinion is that perhaps Glenn's bandmates would honor the wishes of the family. Unless someone on the inside issues a public statement, we will never know. It certainly would have been nice to have a public celebration of his life.

Dawn
03-29-2018, 10:18 PM
Yes, I understand and appreciate privacy concerns and would never want to disrespect the thoughts and feelings of Glenn or his family.

I am just a fan. No one special except maybe to Glenn Frey who I believe was inspired by the love and respect of everyone and anyone who ever came out to see the band or his solo performances.

All through his career Glenn never failed to express his appreciation for his extraordinary good fortune. Those who knew him best describe Glenn as hard working, laser focused, kind and generous, thoughtful of others and hilariously fun to be around. At his core, he was protective of his own and his family's privacy which I think is a wise and responsible attitude. His business acumen was a tremendous benefit to the Eagles band and brand. Tremendous.

A public celebration of Glenn's life and the songs and music he once sang and played for the enjoyment of millions would have been a very special way for fans to say thank you.

Just to and for Glenn.

WalshFan88
03-29-2018, 10:41 PM
Yes, I understand and appreciate privacy concerns and would never want to disrespect the thoughts and feelings of Glenn or his family.

I am just a fan. No one special except maybe to Glenn Frey who I believe was inspired by the love and respect of everyone and anyone who ever came out to see the band or his solo performances.

All through his career Glenn never failed to express his appreciation for his extraordinary good fortune. Those who knew him best describe Glenn as hard working, laser focused, kind and generous, thoughtful of others and hilariously fun to be around. At his core, he was protective of his own and his family's privacy which I think is a wise and responsible attitude. His business acumen was a tremendous benefit to the Eagles band and brand. Tremendous.

A public celebration of Glenn's life and the songs and music he once sang and played for the enjoyment of millions would have been a very special way for fans to say thank you.

Just to and for Glenn.

I couldn't agree more.

sodascouts
03-29-2018, 10:43 PM
A public celebration of Glenn was what he deserved.

I daresay no one - certainly not his family! - would disagree with that. This is especially true if, as is usual for such things, the money goes to charity.

If it were true Glenn had specified before his death that he wanted no fanfare at all after he passed and that he had explicitly forbidden any events celebrating his life (unlikely), then they would not have held the first event which, though "invite only", was hardly a quiet and intimate affair done outside of the spotlight. They even talked to the press about it.

I think the reason the public tribute hasn't happened is pretty straightforward. There's no mystery here. It's the same reason most artists don't get a tribute concert.

No one connected with him has put forth the effort, time, and money to make it happen.

And if you want to make up a scenario in your head that lets the men who owed him the most off the hook for that, feel free... but I think you're going to have to do some straw-grasping.

Freypower
03-29-2018, 10:44 PM

Just to and for Glenn.

Indeed. We were not talking about the actual funeral, which of course would have been private. All we wanted was a tribute show like Concert For George. We were apparently asking for too much.

WalshFan88
03-29-2018, 10:45 PM
And if you want to make up a scenario in your head that lets the men who owed him the most off the hook for that, feel free... but I think you're going to have to do some straw-grasping.

Indeed.

WKMB55
03-30-2018, 12:08 AM
In post #802, I expressed my thoughts and opinions in a respectful, non combative manner. I thought about what I was going to say before I posted. As I have stated in the past, once I express my thoughts that is all I have to say on the matter. I did not criticize anyone elses posts or suggest that they couldn't possibly be right or that I know better than anyone else what Glenn Frey might have wanted because I don't. If someone can provide me with concrete facts or proof that my opinions and thoughts in post #802 are totally out of the realm of possibility then please do. To me the only irrefutable fact here is that there was no public memorial to honor Glenn and all of his amazing contributions to music.

03-30-2018, 12:38 AM
A public celebration of Glenn was what he deserved.

I daresay no one - certainly not his family! - would disagree with that. This is especially true if, as is usual for such things, the money goes to charity.

If it were true Glenn had specified before his death that he wanted no fanfare at all after he passed and that he had explicitly forbidden any events celebrating his life (unlikely), then they would not have held the first event which, though "invite only", was hardly a quiet and intimate affair done outside of the spotlight. They even talked to the press about it.

I think the reason the public tribute hasn't happened is pretty straightforward. There's no mystery here. It's the same reason most artists don't get a tribute concert.

No one connected with him has put forth the effort, time, and money to make it happen.

I have to agree with Soda, but I am certainly not directing that last statement at anyone. I agree with it in general terms. Aside from being angry about no memorial for Glenn, the way that Don, Tim, Joe, and Irving have handled things in general since Glenn's death infuriates me at times. I think we can look back to the way Don publicly 'announced' that the band would participate in the West Classic festival to get a glimpse into where things would go from there. If you need your memory refreshed, someone asked Don if it were true, and Don's response was simply 'That's what they tell me". As I've said before, these men are not ignorant and they had to know that this would not be universally well-received, but apparently they didn't care what anyone thought. The insensitive way in which they have gone about this last year just totally blows my mind. It's just plain disrespectful not only to Glenn, but to many of their fans as well. So, no, I don't expect them to do a tribute when they can't even be bothered to dedicate a song to him in their shows at this point.

Dawn
03-30-2018, 01:31 AM
WKMB55 , Of course it's possible. I was addressing the lack of a Glenn Frey Tribute/Celebration from my own perspective as a fan who would have appreciated the chance to honor Glenn and say thank you. My post was not directed at you.

sodascouts
03-30-2018, 01:35 AM
Aside from being angry about no memorial for Glenn, the way that Don, Tim, Joe, and Irving have handled things in general since Glenn's death infuriates me at times. I think we can look back to the way Don publicly 'announced' that the band would participate in the West Classic festival to get a glimpse into where things would go from there. If you need your memory refreshed, someone asked Don if it were true, and Don's response was simply 'That's what they tell me". As I've said before, these men are not ignorant and they had to know that this would not be universally well-received, but apparently they didn't care what anyone thought. The insensitive way in which they have gone about this last year just totally blows my mind. It's just plain disrespectful not only to Glenn, but to many of their fans as well. So, no, I don't expect them to do a tribute when they can't even be bothered to dedicate a song to him in their shows at this point.

I have a slightly different read on that. It seemed to me that at that time, Don was hesitant to take responsibility for the decision to reform the Eagles and do shows without Glenn. There was the "That's what they tell me" remark and then the "It's Irving's ball" remark. Then, of course, the statements about how it might only be a couple shows...

At the time, I thought it was because his heart wasn't in it. Obviously, that was just my wishful thinking. As soon as it was clear the public was accepting of the venture, he changed his tune and became completely gung-ho.

So I believe he cared what people thought in one sense: I think the only thing that kept them from reforming earlier was fear of the public rejecting an Eagles without Glenn, not the "shock" Don emerged from just in time to make a few million headlining the Classic Concerts. Once that fear was assuaged, it was "full steam ahead."

chaim
03-30-2018, 04:09 AM
I have a slightly different read on that. It seemed to me that at that time, Don was hesitant to take responsibility for the decision for reforming the Eagles and doing shows without Glenn. There was the "That's what they tell me" remark and then the "It's Irving's ball" remark. Then, of course, the statements about how it might only be a couple shows...

At the time, I thought it was because his heart wasn't in it. Obviously, that was just my wishful thinking. As soon as it was clear the public was accepting of the venture, he changed his tune and became completely gung-ho.

So I believe he cared what people thought in one sense: I think the only thing that kept them from reforming earlier was fear of the public rejecting an Eagles without Glenn, not the "shock" Don emerged from just in time to make a few million headlining the Classic Concerts. Once that fear was assuaged, it was "full steam ahead."

He did say "It would appear as greed or something", or something like that. So he did indeed care about how people would take it.

chaim
03-30-2018, 04:15 AM
We'll never know, but I have often wondered if he and Cindy ever talked about funeral plans maybe even years before Glenn passed. My husband and I would share with each other from time to time things we did and didn't want to happen. My opinion is that perhaps Glenn's bandmates would honor the wishes of the family. Unless someone on the inside issues a public statement, we will never know. It certainly would have been nice to have a public celebration of his life.

This is possible of course, but as long as they don't tell us that's the case (if it is) many Glenn fans are going to feel disappointed and hurt about it. And that's perfectly understandable. When you're hurt it doesn't necessarily help to try and think of a possibility that would explain the issue - when you don't know (like you said) and the other possibility is just as likely.

chaim
03-30-2018, 04:52 AM
As for the band barely mentioning Glenn anymore.. The Eagles have always been a rather "faceless" band in that people know HC and NKIT, but they may not know who sings them. A lot of people who go see them (now and when Glenn was still with us) are probably casual "I love Hotel California" fans or even "Don't you just love that Stairway To Heaven?" fans. :laugh: Nothing wrong with those people, but it would be nice if the band made sure that these people would leave the concert knowing who the guy who started the band - and was there until his death - was.

Incidentally, I know it from experience that if you have grey hair and you're in a band playing old songs, some people are going to think you were there in the beginning. Luckily Vince Gill and Deacon don't have grey hair. :lol:

03-30-2018, 10:18 AM
These recent posts got me thinking about this a little more. As I said earlier, while our frustration and disappointment may fade some with the passage of time, I don’t think it will ever go away entirely. I truly believe some things are best left frozen in time. If this had happened with the Eagles, their legacy and the way they are remembered would have been firmly secured. We can’t predict how the decision to continue will ultimately change the perception of the band by future generations because, unfortunately, the final chapter of the band’s history is still yet to be written. The band can choose to ignore that we exist, but, I can’t help but believe that we dissenters will be a part of the final story. As the late, great Maya Angelou once said “At the end of the day people won't remember what you said or did, they will remember how you made them feel.” I believe this may be especially true of a relationship between entertainers and their fans. I get the feeling that Glenn may have understood this a lot more than others, and perhaps his wisdom and vision are as much of a gift to the greatness of this band as were all of his musical contributions. So, yes, at the end of the day I just know how I feel. And that is that Eagles attempt to replace of Glenn has left an indelible stain, and, sadly, I do fear my lasting memory of my beloved band will remain forever tarnished. No doubt that there are many others that feel the same, especially knowing it didn’t have to be this way.

Dawn
03-30-2018, 11:23 AM
You know, it's really just that simple. The attempt to replace Glenn Frey so the band could and would be able to continue and sell stadium size mega concerts has left a permanent stain on the Eagles legacy.

sodascouts
03-30-2018, 11:32 AM
It really is sad. I just hope that when all of this is over and some time has passed, we can go back to listening to "Hotel California" without feeling a stab of pain at the thought of the fact that it is now being performed on a stage without Glenn, or that I can once again hear "Boys of Summer" without associating it with hypocrisy and betrayal.

Honestly, I do think it will happen one day. The pain will always be there, but I don't think it will dominate. I can't imagine I will never be able to enjoy again what I have loved for so long. I can even see myself enjoying Don again. But I think it won't be for a long time, and I know it won't be during this tour.

Every show they do rubs more salt into the wound; every interview gushing about how great things are now actually rips the wound open further, something I didn't think was possible in 2016. Little did I know in 2016 that two years later, Glenn fans would be subjected to this... and I think we can expect to bleed for a couple more years at least.

chaim
03-30-2018, 12:24 PM
Yes, "how great things are now". I think it's the joyfulness around and within the band that bothers me most. Not that I expect them to be miserable, but it would be nice if some of the joy had something to do with celebrating Glenn's life and work. (Even Vince Gill seems to be more worth celebrating now in the Eaglest context.) Having said that, I am aware that for some fans this is a way of remembering Glenn and I don't want to diss that.

As a fan I still have a soft spot for Don, oddly enough. (Timothy probably disappointed me most with that one interview that I found very cold.) He's just doing something I very much dislike.

groupie2686
03-30-2018, 01:40 PM
The joyfulness bothers me too. I remember that interview of Timothy, I found it very cold too. I am most disappointed in Joe, I would have thought Glenn meant more to him than this, but then again, Joe has always gone along.

I was reading about The Doors and it's an interesting parallel...John Densmore, the drummer of The Doors, sued the remaining band members because they entered into a deal for a song to be used in a commercial and they were calling themselves "The Doors of the 21st Century." He didn't feel they could use the name The Doors without Jim Morrison and the band had apparently agreed that their music would not be used in commercials. (Jim Morrison turned down such an offer in the 60s). He was joined in the lawsuit by Jim Morrison's parents. He won the lawsuit. He wrote a book about the whole experience and said that it wasn't right for them to continue as The Doors without Morrison, regardless of whatever money Densmore himself could have made from it. When I read this, I couldn't help but think, yes, he has it right. (And Led Zeppelin too, as FP pointed out). This just isn't right.

chaim
03-30-2018, 01:52 PM
I've never heard that Doors story before. Interesting!

Brooke
03-30-2018, 02:14 PM
I'm sad too that Tim and Joe have just decided to 'go along' and make tons of money. Especially Joe as others have said, because it seemed that he and Glenn were closer than the rest.

I don't know why the tribute that they did at The Forum couldn't have been a public, televised tribute. It was far from intimate being held at such a large venue. It would have been just the thing for all of us diehard fans.

Was Glenn just not well known enough? Really?

New Kid In Town
03-30-2018, 04:06 PM
Dreamer, Soda, Groupie, FP, Chaim, Austin, Dawn and Brooke(hope I did not miss anyone) - I can't think of anything I can say that you have not said. Back In March 2017, my local(NY/NJ) Classic Rock Radio Station had an interview with Don, Tim and Joe after the Classic E/W was announced. Don and Tim could not stop gushing on and on about how Glenn would have wanted it. Joe - not so much. He sounded very hesitant and stammered on trying to back Don & Tim. It was not very positive in terms of his endorsement.
I remember that interview with Tim in February 2017, and, I also remember stating then how utterly cold it sounded. I stated then how shocked I was.
I think Joe just wants to keep the peace and play his music. Don and Tim are all about the money. I think Glenn always cared more about the legacy of the Eagles than Don. This, IMHO, proves that. They have become a tribute band. Very sad but true.

WKMB55
03-30-2018, 04:07 PM
Dawn, I was not offended in the least by what you said in your post. I did not think it was directed at me.

It is so frustrating because you can assign all the blame you want to Don, Joe, Tim, Irving, the back up band, the Frey family, good friends of Glenn, record producers, managers and so on and so on.......but in the end there hasn't to this date been a tribute.

I have to think that in addition to comments made in public forums and on Don, Joe and Tim's websites many fans have called, e mailed and maybe even written to management or band members expressing likes and dislikes about the decision to continue and wondering about a public memorial. I am sure the band and Irving are well aware.

I know it is probably the extreme situation but look how long it took for the Dan Fogleberg tribute CD.

Dawn
03-30-2018, 04:54 PM
Ironically, the Eagles were part of the reason the Dan Fogelberg Tribute album took as long as it did to be completed. See excerpt from rock cellar mag below,

Norbert Putnam: Joe Walsh produced “Part of the Plan,” which was the first big radio record that Dan had. So obviously he thought he should do that record and produce it. [Laughs] Unfortunately it was the Eagles and they were too busy to get it finished.

Jean Fogelberg: Getting the Eagles to do their vocals was the biggest challenge. They were on a world tour and Joe Walsh was taking the tape along with him. He’d already recorded the whole song. He’d be in London or Australia and he’d email us, saying “OK, I’ve got the tape, I’m gonna try and get the guys into the studio.” And they were just so busy, trying to get that. That was the last track that we were waiting on.

That being said, it did not take very long at all for friends of Tom Petty to organize two tribute concerts in his honor following his death in October 2017. IIRC the tribute concerts were in December 2017.

Dan's wife Jean spearheaded the tribute for Dan. It was truly a labor of love and I am very glad it was completed. I bought 3 (2 for holiday gifts and 1 for myself). IMHO it's a lovely CD and with proceeds being donated to help find a cure for the cancer that claimed Dan's life so very young, it is especially meaningful.

chaim
03-30-2018, 04:56 PM
I gotta add that I still have a soft spot for all those guys. I only mentioned Don earlier, because naturally he's criticised the most. I said Timothy has disappointed me the most, but that doesn't mean that I dislike him.

NKIT, I don't know them, but to me Joe seems the most emotional out of those three guys.

Freypower
03-30-2018, 06:20 PM
I'm sad too that Tim and Joe have just decided to 'go along' and make tons of money. Especially Joe as others have said, because it seemed that he and Glenn were closer than the rest.

I don't know why the tribute that they did at The Forum couldn't have been a public, televised tribute. It was far from intimate being held at such a large venue. It would have been just the thing for all of us diehard fans.

Was Glenn just not well known enough? Really?

For us on this board, it may seem unthinkable, but perhaps the answer is no, he wasn't.

And perhaps that is another reason why his bandmates felt they could continue without him, as nobody knew who he was anyway.

People have talked about Tim's 'cold' interview. I agree with them. I would also remind you of an interview Joe did about rehearsals where all he could do was blurt out how 'great' they sounded. He repeated the word about five times. I said at the time it made him sound like Donald Trump. He was extremely inarticulate; perhaps there was some embarrassment there. Who knows.

sodascouts
03-30-2018, 06:41 PM
I gotta add that I still have a soft spot for all those guys. I only mentioned Don earlier, because naturally he's criticised the most. I said Timothy has disappointed me the most, but that doesn't mean that I dislike him.

NKIT, I don't know them, but to me Joe seems the most emotional out of those three guys.

It's such a weird place to be for me. I know these people are probably good men in other ways. They donate to good causes and they seem to be good fathers and such. I don't think they're evil. I don't hate them.

But I don't think they're men of integrity when it comes to hard decisions like turning away from a lot of money because it's the right thing to do... so I can't respect them like I used to. I certainly can't adore them like I used to (there was a time when Don was actually my favorite).

When they weren't touring, I could forget that every now and then. While they're touring, it's in my face daily.

chaim
03-30-2018, 07:18 PM
It's such a weird place to be for me. I know these people are probably good men in other ways. They donate to good causes and they seem to be good fathers and such. I don't think they're evil. I don't hate them.

But I don't think they're men of integrity when it comes to hard decisions like turning away from a lot of money because it's the right thing to do... so I can't respect them like I used to. I certainly can't adore them like I used to (there was a time when Don was actually my favorite).

When they weren't touring, I could forget that every now and then. While they're touring, it's in my face daily.

Not that it changes anything, but I changed my post slightly after you quoted it. Me "liking" Timothy wasn't an accurate statement, because me feelings about him have always been neutral - not a fan, but not a "hater" either. It's more accurate to say that I still don't dislike him.

luciknight
03-30-2018, 07:32 PM
For us on this board, it may seem unthinkable, but perhaps the answer is no, he wasn't.

And perhaps that is another reason why his bandmates felt they could continue without him, as nobody knew who he was anyway.

We gotta understand that maybe more than 80% of a crowd in a huge and well known band like the Eagles are of casual or non-fans, you know, ppl who are only there to acoompany a relative or friend, or in group of friends, ppl that only know Hotel California... and so on...
They don't know the name of the band members, they don't care. They only recognize Henley's voice cos they know HC. Maybe some of these recognize Frey's voice and will notice he's not there on stage, maybe not.

You think everybody knows all the songs and sing along and know the members like we do, but they don't, unfortunately. For most people, Henley is the key member of the Eagles. Hell, I think even for Glenn he was.
So... who was Glenn, anyway?
We see so many ppl talking abt the band online like we do and maybe that can deceive us, but what is the % of fans like us in a concert? Less than 5% I'd say. And they know that... that's why they'll keep going on.
By *they I mean the band... Henley an co.

WalshFan88
03-30-2018, 08:39 PM
You think everybody knows all the songs and sing along and know the members like we do, but they don't, unfortunately. For most people, Henley is the key member of the Eagles. Hell, I think even for Glenn he was.
So... who was Glenn, anyway?

I completely disagree. I doubt that Don was the key member for Glenn IMO. He liked his vocals better than his own maybe but when push came to shove it was Glenn making the calls. Even Don would say "it's Glenn's band and he's the leader". They might have been co-leaders but when it came down to it, it was GF.

I also disagree with anyone that thinks DH was the key member. For me I prefer Glenn wholeheartedly and I've over time liked Glenn's voice better than Don's. For me it always bothered me when people in concert clapped loudly for Don but not as loud for Glenn. Without Glenn asking Don, this band wouldn't be here.

I don't feel I need to explain "who Glenn was" any further than what's been said by myself and others.

Just my feelings on the subject...

WalshFan88
03-30-2018, 08:39 PM

Yep. I also echo your sentiments about being able to hear those songs again without that constant reminder. I think it will eventually happen...hopefully.

Freypower
03-30-2018, 09:24 PM
I completely disagree. I doubt that Don was the key member for Glenn IMO. He liked his vocals better than his own maybe but when push came to shove it was Glenn making the calls. Even Don would say "it's Glenn's band and he's the leader". They might have been co-leaders but when it came down to it, it was GF.

I also disagree with anyone that thinks DH was the key member. For me I prefer Glenn wholeheartedly and I've over time liked Glenn's voice better than Don's. For me it always bothered me when people in concert clapped loudly for Don but not as loud for Glenn. Without Glenn asking Don, this band wouldn't be here.

I don't feel I need to explain "who Glenn was" any further than what's been said by myself and others.

I think LK was trying to describe how the 'casual fans' see the situation, not how we see it.

03-30-2018, 09:50 PM

I also agree with this. The difference for me is that I am older and have been a fan since the band's beginning, so I don't think I will ever return to a place where things are the way they used to be. I don't know what's in any of their hearts or minds, but, for me, they made an error in judgment that is irreversible. I will still always love the music, so I guess I'll continue to celebrate their past, but, definitely, not their future as long as they call themselves 'Eagles'.

And FP - I don't know about other countries, but Glenn has pretty wide name recognition here in the U.S. except for probably the millennials.

luciknight
03-30-2018, 09:56 PM

Yes, but that's you. Ask a random casual Eagles fan what they think.
I also don't think Henley is or ever was the leader, that was Frey's role. That band was his, period. He's always been the leader.
But for casuals, which consists most part of the people in the audience, Henley is. Mainly because HC is their main hit.

And yea, what I actually meant when I said I think Frey thought Henley was the key member, is that he knew ppl thought that.
Sorry, didn't make myself clear :|

Dawn
03-30-2018, 10:09 PM
Excerpt

"So, the question remains: Are the Eagles still the Eagles without Glenn Frey? From my personal experience, I think that the answer is yes. Henley, and more importantly Walsh, do a lot to cover up for their departed frontman’s absence.Gill and Deacon handle their parts capably, and the extra musicians provide that added bit of oomph to realize the recorded material to a stunningly clear degree. While no one really knows how Frey himself would feel about this endeavor, his son seems to be enjoying it and that’s good enough for me. “It’s been really great,” Deacon told Rolling Stone. “It’s another family we would have been missing .”

-------------------------------------------

I don't agree the Eagles are still the Eagles without Glenn Frey but as long as fans and critics view Glenn Frey essentially and perhaps even primarily as the band's departed "frontman" and someone whose absence can be "covered up" with extra bells and whistles like a circus act well -- I think that is very telling.

Dawn
03-30-2018, 10:28 PM
I also agree with this. The difference for me is that I am older and have been a fan since the band's beginning, so I don't think I will ever return to a place where things are the way they used to be. I don't know what's in any of their hearts or minds, but, for me, they made an error in judgment that is irreversible. I will still always love the music, so I guess I'll continue to celebrate their past, but, definitely, not their future as long as they call themselves 'Eagles'.

And FP - I don't know about other countries, but Glenn has pretty wide name recognition here in the U.S. except for probably the millennials.

Dreamer, I too have been a fan since the band's beginning and understand what you mean when you say you will "continue to celebrate their past but not their future as long as they call themselves 'Eagles'."

That sums up my position as well. I realize this may seem like a hard line to take but it is what it is - no Glenn Frey - no Eagles.

WalshFan88
03-30-2018, 10:28 PM
Yes, but that's you. Ask a random casual Eagles fan what they think.
I also don't think Henley is or ever was the leader, that was Frey's role. That band was his, period. He's always been the leader.
But for casuals, which consists most part of the people in the audience, Henley is. Mainly because HC is their main hit.

And yea, what I actually meant when I said I think Frey thought Henley was the key member, is that he knew ppl thought that.
Sorry, didn't make myself clear :|

Of course. I've even said here I don't think they could pick any of the guys out of a lineup and name them. Their names are Hotel California, Take It Easy, etc. They don't care who is who or what is what as long as they hear their favorites.

But I think the amount of us diehards is more than some would give credit. And that includes those against it. I think there is a sizable amount of us against it. Maybe not as much as those for it but we aren't *that* much of a minority.

I understand what you mean now. I'm sure Glenn did realize most people liked Henley because of HC and those songs and that's why that name is known. But I still don't think the casual fan could put the name to the face, etc so much.

Dawn
03-30-2018, 10:37 PM
I agree Austin, on all points.

Second, Glenn Frey knew better than anyone the true value of "song power".

It was the secret sauce.

Freypower
03-31-2018, 12:48 AM

I was making a generalisation there. I would hope you are right, but it seems to me that things are already starting to shift.

chaim
03-31-2018, 03:29 AM
I agree that many people who go to the concerts may not know who Glenn Frey was. That's why the band should make sure they do with some kind of a tribute. If people leave the concert thinking of Vince Gill (whom many of them probably know) as an Eagle, they should know who started the band and whose stuff Gill is now performing - the guy who wouldn't even be there if Glenn hadn't died. Just my opinion.

When they add such a famous guy to their band and don't mention Glenn, many people will associate Vince Gill with the Eagles more than they associate Glenn with the Eagles. That's just wrong. Again, just my opinion.

EDIT:

Many people say that the Eagles are about songpower and not the members - and that this alone justifies them continuing without Glenn. So, although the members (like Glenn Frey) aren't important, Deacon Frey and Vince Gill sure are celebrated a lot everywhere. It's not important to celebrate the person who started it, was there until his death and did all the albums, but it's important to celebrate the people who are now singing and playing his stuff live.

New Kid In Town
03-31-2018, 11:00 AM
I agree that many people who go to the concerts may not know who Glenn Frey was. That's why the band should make sure they do with some kind of a tribute. If people leave the concert thinking of Vince Gill (whom many of them probably know) as an Eagle, they should know who started the band and whose stuff Gill is now performing - the guy who wouldn't even be there if Glenn hadn't died. Just my opinion.

When they add such a famous guy to their band and don't mention Glenn, many people will associate Vince Gill with the Eagles more than they associate Glenn with the Eagles. That's just wrong. Again, just my opinion.

EDIT:

Many people say that the Eagles are about songpower and not the members - and this alone justifies them continuing without Glenn. So, although the members (like Glenn Frey) aren't important, Deacon Frey and Vince Gill sure are celebrated a lot everywhere. It's not important to celebrate the person who started it, was there until his death and did all the albums, but it's important to celebrate the people who are now singing and playing his stuff live.

Chaim - I bolded the edit. Amen ! Exactly how I feel !
I think for the casual fan the only Eagle they know is Don because of HC and sadly, he became " the voice of the Eagles". I do think many people could also name Glenn but not the others. It appears from their many FB sites that most of the people going to shows now are NOT casual fans but rather people who never saw them before and feel this is there last chance to see any form of the Eagles. Also, there are many people who support this venture due to Deacon being in the band and want to see them before they hang it up. Vince appears to be very well known and they know he was never in the Eagles until this knew carnation of the band.

Glennsallnighter
03-31-2018, 11:07 AM
WOW this thread moves so fast. As far as I’m concerned and I think many of the longer term borders would know I definitely DON’T think that the band should be performing in their current format with no obvious salutation to Glenn :heart: Notwithstanding Deacons presence, and I DO wish the kid well the band just cannot be the same, and to market it as such without the acknowledgment that things have changed is just a travesty to Glenn :heart:’s memory.

I’m not saying that all of the band should have given up performing, or performing together out of respect for him. They are professional musicians and as well as that obviously the Eagles was their job and their love and they were not ready to retire. BUT it seems like Glenn :heart: has just been airbrushed out of anything to do with the band.

Even if they had adapted their name to reflect that they are not and never will be the same as the band Glenn:heart: Frey fronted. Or called themselves ‘Eagles featuring Deacon Frey/Vince Gill’ or something to that effect. Or has some sort of tribute or acknowledgment to him during the show it might be easier to accept the new lineup but it just seems like Glenn :heart: has been swept under the carpet and forgotten about so that Irving can make money out of his cash cow.

I was at an Eagles Tribute band last week. Throughout the show the guys in the band referred to the guys and their contribution to the band. When they played ‘Ol 55’ instead of a montage of pictures and videos they put up a picture of Glenn :heart: beside his Gladys looking up to the sky. A fitting tribute IMHO.
If they can do it surely the band can....

longtimeeaglesfan
03-31-2018, 11:30 AM
I was at an Eagles Tribute band last week. Throughout the show the guys in the band referred to the guys and their contribution to the band. When they played ‘Ol 55’ instead of a montage of pictures and videos they put up a picture of Glenn :heart: beside his Gladys looking up to the sky. A fitting tribute IMHO.
If they can do it surely the band can....

The current band does refer to Glenn during the performance. For example, Deacon, before singing Peaceful Easy Feeling, says, "Here's one my dad used to sing." At the end of the song they have a large photo of Glenn (the one they have on the Eagles.com website under Glenn Frey 1948-2016) up on the screen for several seconds. When that comes up, there is a huge roar from the crowd in acknowledgement.

Dawn
03-31-2018, 11:33 AM

EDIT:

Many people say that the Eagles are about songpower and not the members - and this alone justifies them continuing without Glenn. So, although the members (like Glenn Frey) aren't important, Deacon Frey and Vince Gill sure are celebrated a lot everywhere. It's not important to celebrate the person who started it, was there until his death and did all the albums, but it's important to celebrate the people who are now singing and playing his stuff live.

Absolutely agree. They also claim the band continuing is a tribute in and of itself to Glenn Frey.

Personally, I am now realizing there is another possibility to explain the absence of a celebration of Glenn's life just for fans.

It's not good for the brand.

New Kid In Town
03-31-2018, 11:34 AM
I am not being smart or nasty when I say this, but big freaking deal. They could do A LOT MORE for the guy who founded the band, was it's leader and front man since it's inception. That "tribute" does not impress me. Sorry.

Dawn
03-31-2018, 11:36 AM
I am not being smart or nasty when I say this, but big freaking deal. They could do A LOT MORE for the guy who founded the band, was it's leader and front man since it's inception. That "tribute" does not impress me. Sorry.

Amen.

chaim
03-31-2018, 11:36 AM
The current band does refer to Glenn during the performance. For example, Deacon, before singing Peaceful Easy Feeling, says, "Here's one my dad used to sing." At the end of the song they have a large photo of Glenn (the one they have on the Eagles.com website under Glenn Frey 1948-2016) up on the screen for several seconds. When that comes up, there is a huge roar from the crowd in acknowledgement.

That's nice. Glad to hear about the audience reaction. The dad comment doesn't say anything to the people who don't know about Glenn, but the picture thing is nice.

Dawn
03-31-2018, 11:42 AM
Glenn Frey had a successful solo career as a musician, arranger, singer as well. He also became involved with teaching & mentoring young people studying songwriting at NYU Steinhardt and received much gratitude and praise from his former students.

Edited to add

My personal opinion is Glenn may very well have had other plans for the Eagles that DID NOT involve another huge, intense tour. Rather, he seemed focused on bringing the Eagles to Broadway or another theatrical/musical type venue. IMHO this could/would have been fantastic.

sodascouts
03-31-2018, 02:54 PM
Oh, here we go again. This thread is for the people who don't agree with the band re-forming without Glenn. Posts that are not about that are off-topic and will be moved. I have already moved redstorm's.

I don't get why people who don't feel that way about the band are reading this thread.

ETA: If problems persist with the poster obviously deliberately ignoring the purpose of the thread with intent to troll, I will stop moving the off-topic posts from this thread and start deleting them instead.

chaim
03-31-2018, 03:13 PM
I gotta say that it's easier for me to talk about my feelings about the current band now that it's been made clear several times who(m) this thread is for. I don't post a lot in internet forums, and when I do I don't have the energy to try and defend how I feel over and over again. I want to thank the people who kept fighting to keep this thread as a "no Glenn, no Eagles" zone. Austin, for example.

sodascouts
03-31-2018, 03:20 PM
Regarding the "they should recognize Glenn more during the show" topic...

Honestly, for me, it's a moot point. They shouldn't be out there at all under the "Eagles" banner, so I'm not going to be happy no matter what they do.

redstorm1968
03-31-2018, 03:45 PM
Oh, here we go again. This thread is for the people who don't agree with the band re-forming without Glenn. Posts that are not about that are off-topic and will be moved. I have already moved redstorm's.

I don't get why people who don't feel that way about the band are reading this thread.

ETA: If problems persist with the poster obviously deliberately ignoring the purpose of the thread with intent to troll, I will stop moving the off-topic posts from this thread and start deleting them instead.

I was criticized in this thread so I responded in this thread.

sodascouts
03-31-2018, 04:03 PM
I thought that might be your defense, but even you admitted her description didn't really fit you!

redstorm1968
03-31-2018, 04:10 PM
I thought that might be your defense, but even you admitted her description didn't really fit you!

I most certainly did not. Where exactly did I do that, Soda? I KNOW that it was directed at me because I had just posted how much I had enjoyed the song in the Nashville concert thread. It was a snide remake and I am not surprised that you are defending it.

sodascouts
03-31-2018, 04:18 PM
I most certainly did not. Where exactly did I do that, Soda? I KNOW that it was directed at me because I had just posted how much I had enjoyed the song in the Nashville concert thread. It was a snide remake and I am not surprised that you are defending it.

Here's what I mean. Freypower commented upon the "irony" that those who "criticised Glenn's performance" of TITTL now sing the "praise of Gill's performance."

You replied: "I suppose you mean me, since I mentioned that I loved Vince's version of the song in the concert thread." BUT, you go on to say that "I don't remember ever criticizing Glenn Frey for singing that song" before continuing your critique.

Thus... you admit that FP's description does not entirely apply to you. You meant it as a criticism of her, not realizing that actually, it problematizes your assumption that she was talking about you.

redstorm1968
03-31-2018, 04:23 PM
You can spilt a hair 17 ways.

sodascouts
03-31-2018, 04:32 PM
Well, only she knows who she was talking about, so perhaps I should not speak for her. I stopped reading the review threads. I don't see the point in torturing myself that way. I only read them if drama gets reported to me and I have to go in and deal with it. Lots of professional reviewers hated on Glenn's version of TITTL and praised Vince Gill, so there were certainly many people to whom she could have been referring. If she was criticizing you, then I can see your point. I just don't know if she really was.

We should not criticize other posters in here where they cannot defend themselves. This is not a thread designed to bash other posters (we should not be doing that regardless, anywhere on the board). This is a thread for criticizing the decision to continue the Eagles without Glenn.

redstorm1968
03-31-2018, 05:15 PM
Well, only she knows who she was talking about, so perhaps I should not speak for her. I stopped reading the review threads. I don't see the point in torturing myself that way. I only read them if drama gets reported to me and I have to go in and deal with it. Lots of professional reviewers hated on Glenn's version of TITTL and praised Vince Gill, so there were certainly many people to whom she could have been referring. If she was criticizing you, then I can see your point. I just don't know if she really was.

We should not criticize other posters in here where they cannot defend themselves. This is not a thread designed to bash other posters (we should not be doing that regardless, anywhere on the board). This is a thread for criticizing the decision to continue the Eagles without Glenn.

Thank you for that, Soda. I will retreat once again to the other threads.

WalshFan88
03-31-2018, 05:28 PM
I gotta say that it's easier for me to talk about my feelings about the current band now that it's been made clear several times who(m) this thread is for. I don't post a lot in internet forums, and when I do I don't have the energy to try and defend how I feel over and over again. I want to thank the people who kept fighting to keep this thread as a "no Glenn, no Eagles" zone. Austin, for example.

Thank you, chaim. I will never stop fighting for what I feel is right.

I must have to thank Soda for creating it and moderating it though.

Glennsallnighter
03-31-2018, 07:02 PM
I agree Austin, Soda is doing an immense job administering this board through all the controversy in this and other threads. I know where I stand with this issue, and like Soda I don't even read the threads of the 'New' Eagles because I just cant drum up enough interest to....

Freypower
03-31-2018, 09:11 PM

I responded elsewhere.

Dawn
04-07-2018, 04:26 PM
Ok, I have taken some time and tracked down video of Vince Gill singing TITTL, Heartache Tonight, NKIT and Ol'55 and personally I don't think he is anywhere near as good as Glenn Frey. He has a good voice but lacks the energy, the passion and the emotion. Same with Deacon Frey. He sings well but I feel there is something missing with the band as a whole. In the comments I am reading one person described the band continuing with Vince and Deacon as "cringeworthy". I don't think I would go that far it's definitly not the same band but I do understand why fans might feel that way. It is very uncomfortable.

Dawn
04-07-2018, 05:02 PM
Something missing. Glenn Frey.

chaim
04-08-2018, 04:39 AM
Ok, I have taken some time and tracked down video of Vince Gill singing TITTL, Heartache Tonight, NKIT and Ol'55 and personally I don't think he is anywhere near as good as Glenn Frey. He has a good voice but lacks the energy, the passion and the emotion. Same with Deacon Frey. He sings well but I feel there is something missing with the band as a whole. In tne comments I am reading one person described the band continuing with Vince and Deacon as "cringeworthy". I don't think I would go that far it's definitly not the same band but I do understand why fans might feel that way.

Could you post links to the performances you watched? I still haven't watched Gill doing Ol' 55. It was a cover to begin with, so that's a song I don't mind someone else singing in any style they please, although Glenn sang his parts beautifully. I do find it weird if Don doesn't sing his parts anymore though, since the Eagles version has always been a duet. I've always felt that the singer changing is one of the hooks in their version.

Dawn
04-08-2018, 10:25 AM
Could you post links to the performances you watched? I still haven't watched Gill doing Ol' 55. It was a cover to begin with, so that's a song I don't mind someone else singing in any style they please, although Glenn sang his parts beautifully. I do find it weird if Don doesn't sing his parts anymore though, since the Eagles version has always been a duet. I've always felt that the singer changing is one of the hooks in their version.

Sure, assuming We can still access them I will post.

Agree about Ol' '55 I like the lyric switching as well.

Ol' '55

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gA2sclXHK-8

chaim
04-08-2018, 11:25 AM
Thanks, Dawn.

Dawn
04-08-2018, 11:45 AM
Reading YouTube comments it appears to me anyone who expresses non support for the current lineup gets PERSONALLY attacked. Same pattern I have seen here. It is disgusting. Can't talk about the music or why they disagree with fans who believe it is subpar - instead they hurl personal insults.

Dawn
04-08-2018, 11:48 AM
Sure thing Chaim.

chaim
04-08-2018, 11:53 AM
Reading comments it appears to me anyone who expresses non support for the current lineup gets PERSONALLY attacked. Same pattern I have seen here. It is disgusting. Can't talk about the music or why they disagree with fans who believe it is subpar - instead they hurl personal insults.

I read a few comments and saw a familiar phenomenon - those who dislike the current version of a band being referred to as "fans" with quote marks. It seems to be a common pattern. I've seen it many times in a Kiss forum. :hilarious:

Freypower
04-08-2018, 06:43 PM
Reading YouTube comments it appears to me anyone who expresses non support for the current lineup gets PERSONALLY attacked. Same pattern I have seen here. It is disgusting. Can't talk about the music or why they disagree with fans who believe it is subpar - instead they hurl personal insults.

Very simple - don't read YouTube comments.

Dawn
04-08-2018, 08:48 PM
Very simple - don't read YouTube comments.

As a general rule I don't.

WalshFan88
04-08-2018, 10:15 PM
The comments section on almost any YouTube video is a vile cesspit.

The fact the pro side here or on YouTube feels like they have to reduce us to "pseudo-fan" status and personally attack us. It's very sad and makes their viewpoint lessened because of it. If they were so sure this was ok that the Eagles were continuing, they wouldn't be needing to attack us to defend their side.

Dawn
04-08-2018, 10:57 PM
The comments section on almost any YouTube is a vile cesspit.

The fact the pro side here or on YouTube feels like they have to reduce us to "pseudo-fan" status and personally attack us. It's very sad and makes their viewpoint lessened because of it. If they were so sure this was ok that the Eagles were continuing, they wouldn't be needing to attack us to defend their side.

This ^^^^^

Thank you.

Dawn
04-09-2018, 12:19 AM
It's not about percentages of classic line-ups, at least not for me.

Glenn started the band with Don Henley, but it's not just that. Both of them have been in it since day one and are fundamental to its sound. Both are essential to the Eagles. Therefore, neither Henley nor Frey are replaceable. The removal of one of them is not simply "a lower percentage of the classic line up."

I do not accept that an entity without either of them can legitimately call itself the "Eagles."

I purposely went looking for this post because FOR Me the last sentence says it all.

chaim
04-09-2018, 03:35 AM
I listened to the Ol' '55 performance. Didn't like Vince's variations on the melody (I never like them anyway), but otherwise his singing was nice. I've never really thought of it as an Eagles song, so for me it was another singer covering a Tom Waits song. I missed Don's bits though.

Dawn
04-09-2018, 12:36 PM
I listened to the Ol' '55 performance. Didn't like Vince's variations on the melody (I never like them anyway), but otherwise his singing was nice. I've never really thought of it as an Eagles song, so for me it was another singer covering a Tom Waits song. I missed Don's bits though.

i feel the same way. Vince has a very nice voice no question about it. His duets with wife Amy are well done.

04-09-2018, 01:20 PM
TBH, I have never listened to a single video of Vince singing any of Glenn's songs. And I really have nothing personal against Vince, but the thought of him (or anyone else) up onstage at what is supposed to be an 'Eagles' concert makes me want to regurgitate.

I have watched a handful of Deacon's performances and think he is somewhat more acceptable since he is Glenn's son. But just slightly. The whole thing just continues to repulse me though.

Call me silly!!! :shrug:

The comments section on almost any YouTube video is a vile cesspit.

Exactly, Austin. This is why, except for this message board, I rarely participate in social media. I can do without the viscious and uninformed trash talk. I prefer to avoid the negativity.

Dawn
04-09-2018, 01:34 PM
Wise move Dreamer - ultimately I am glad I listened to both but frankly it was not going to ever change my mind - I wanted to know what they sound like and get a feel for how fans are reacting. Vince has a solid fan base which I think may have been one of the main factors in adding him to the band - along with taking pressure off Deacon. There is alot happening on that stage but without Glenn to me it looks and feels like smoke and mirrors. Not real. Sub Par.

groupie2686
04-09-2018, 01:44 PM
TBH, I have never listened to a single video of Vince singing any of Glenn's songs. And I really have nothing personal against Vince, but the thought of him (or anyone else) up onstage at what is supposed to be an 'Eagles' concert makes me want to regurgitate.

I have watched a handful of Deacon's performances and think he is somewhat more acceptable since he is Glenn's son. But just slightly. The whole thing just continues to repulse me though.

Call me silly!!! :shrug:

Not silly at all! I have refused to watch Vince singing any of Glenn's songs. I think I would regurgitate, lol. I watched a few of Deacon's performances, from the Classic East & West shows, but not since, nor do I have a desire to. I wasn't too impressed by what I saw, although I'll admit it took guts, and maybe he's gotten better since, but I've seen enough.

Dawn
04-09-2018, 01:50 PM
Not silly at all! I have refused to watch Vince singing any of Glenn's songs. I think I would regurgitate, lol. I watched a few of Deacon's performances, from the Classic East & West shows, but not since, nor do I have a desire to. I wasn't too impressed by what I saw, although I'll admit it took guts, and maybe he's gotten better since, but I've seen enough.

My impression of Deacon is he is doing the best he can and that's really all one should expect of him. He does not sound like Glenn. Not at all. And why anyone would think otherwise is beyond me.

chaim
04-09-2018, 01:55 PM
I check out some videos now and then out of curiosity, but I will never consider this the Eagles.

04-09-2018, 02:30 PM
My impression of Deacon is he is doing the best he can and that's really all one should expect of him. He does not sound like Glenn. Not at all. And why anyone would think otherwise is beyond me.

No - some actually say he sounds better than Glenn - go figure!

I agree though that I don't want to be too hard on Deacon. He has got to be under an enormous amount of pressure, and I am sure, in his heart, he is trying to do his dad proud.

I saw him perform with Glenn twice around 10 years ago and he does have talent. But, it's a huge climb from performing under the wings of your legendary dad in front of 200 people to trying to replace him in front of 20,000.

YoungEaglesFan
04-09-2018, 02:33 PM
I actually agree with his assessment. I think he sounds good. Really good but his voice is not like his dads at all. It’s quite different. And it’s not better than his fathers.

Dawn
04-09-2018, 02:45 PM
Glenn was in a class all his own. I think as he gets more experienced and confident Deacon could probably do all his dad's songs and eliminate the need for Vince Gill unless it's harmonizing they are worried about. Either way it does not change anything or my opinion that without Glenn Frey this isn't the Eagles.

groupie2686
04-09-2018, 03:07 PM
No - some actually say he sounds better than Glenn - go figure!

Sacrilege! lol

I don't think Deacon sounds like his father at all and in fairness, he shouldn't have to, he should be his own person, but the fact is I just don't want to hear Glenn's songs sung by anyone else.

YoungEaglesFan
04-09-2018, 03:08 PM
Glenn was in a class all his own. I think as he gets more experienced and confident Deacon could probably do all his dad's songs and eliminate the need for Vince Gill unless it's harmonizing they are worried about. Either way it does not change anything or my opinion that without Glenn Frey this isn't the Eagles.

I also agree with that. Deacon has a bright future and I think does a better job with his dads songs than Vince does. (Besides TITTL) but I think the band wants him for his harmony parts as well. His high harmony is important to keeping the harmonies strong. I think they will be a package deal until the band is done for good

Dawn
04-09-2018, 03:44 PM
Sacrilege! lol

I don't think Deacon sounds like his father at all and in fairness, he shouldn't have to, he should be his own person, but the fact is I just don't want to hear Glenn's songs sung by anyone else.

Agreed.

Dawn
04-09-2018, 05:05 PM
Was talking with Eagles fans friends over Easter and we all agreed the coolest thing ever would have been Hotel California The Musical.

Reportedly Glenn was collaborating with his old friend, fellow actor and producer Robert Wuhl (Arli$$) and had been checking out various musicals on Broadway like Mamma Mia, Jersey Boys, Beautiful, Etc.

Once the HOTE tour was finally over I think Glenn may have turned his focus to moving the ball further down the playing field and getting this into production.

Sadly, unless someone close to the project speaks out publically we may never know where he was with this.

I do know if Glenn was involved it would have been awesome!

Brooke
04-10-2018, 02:23 PM
Dawn, if I remember correctly, Don said that he was going to try to see that to fruition, since Glenn was so enthusiastic about it, but I haven't heard of him mentioning it lately. With them tackling this massive tour, who knows when that might happen!

Have to say I'm not much in to musicals, but if they thought it would be good, who am I to question it?! I guess time will tell.

New Kid In Town
04-10-2018, 09:49 PM
I think Deacon is a very talented kid with a bright future. I do not think he sounds like Glenn. His voice appears to be deeper than Glenn's was.
He has a nice voice but I do not think he sings better than Glenn. Deacon should not be compared to Glenn because he is not Glenn. As Groupie said, people should not expect Deacon to be a second Glenn. He should be his own person. I think he is under tremendous pressure every time he steps on stage as he has large shoes to fill.

I have always loved Broadway musicals and I think it would be cool to have an Eagles musical on Broadway. How it will be done I have no idea. But if they can do Abba and Beautiful then hopefully they can come up with a great idea.

Dawn
04-10-2018, 11:01 PM
I think Deacon is a very talented kid with a bright future. I do not think he sounds like Glenn. His voice appears to be deeper than Glenn's was.
He has a nice voice but I do not think he sings better than Glenn. Deacon should not be compared to Glenn because he is not Glenn. As Groupie said, people should not expect Deacon to be a second Glenn. He should be his own person. I think he is under tremendous pressure every time he steps on stage as he has large shoes to fill.

I have always loved Broadway musicals and I think it would be cool to have an Eagles musical on Broadway. How it will be done I have no idea. But if they can do Abba and Beautiful then hopefully they can come up with a great idea.

Yes, I really believe Glenn would have had some great ideas he was doing a lot of research checking out the musicals on Broadway and was reportedly collaborating with his good friend Robert Wuhl.

As for Deacon, I agree 100%

Dawn
04-11-2018, 03:01 PM
Personally, I would rather see a musical based on Glenn's life, from his early Teen King days in Detroit to the last HOTE concert. There is enough in Glenn's own life to draw upon.

sodascouts
04-11-2018, 05:39 PM
But who would play Glenn?

Freypower
04-11-2018, 07:07 PM
Personally, I would rather see a musical based on Glenn's life, from his early Teen King days in Detroit to the last HOTE concert. There is enough in Glenn's own life to draw upon.

I'm afraid that given the somewhat muted reaction to his death & the fact that his former band decided it was OK to continue, as well as the fact that there has been no tribute to him, I have to say that I don't think he was well known enough for such a project. I know Dreamer disagrees with me on how well known he was; but that's talking about rock music fans. I don't beieve there would be a market for it.

As for the musical, I believe that Henley made a couple of noises about it just after Glenn died. Since then.... it has probaby been dropped. We don't want anything raining on the parade, now do we?

04-11-2018, 08:12 PM
In my opinion, Broadway musicals are successful not primarily because of the subject matter, but because they are exceptional productions. For example, who would have thought there would be any interest in a Broadway musical about Alexander Hamilton?

So, while I wouldn't expect to see a Broadway production made of Glenn's life, I don't believe it has anything to do with his level of fame. But, I just think the Eagles story has greater appeal than any of the members individually - much more glamor and drama collectively.

And, yeah, at this point, I would be extremely shocked if Henley makes good on seeing the Broadway show to fruition.

Dawn
04-12-2018, 02:03 AM
A jukebox musical is a musical film or stage presentation featuring the songs of popular music acts. The term was originally (and is still) used to describe films starring famous popular music acts showcasing their own recorded songs, not necessarily as part of a traditional musical score (though they are sometimes augmented with scored background music). Use of the term has also grown to encompass musical films and theatrical presentations that celebrate past or present music acts or personalities, usually played by professional actors singing new renditions of the real artists' previously-recorded songs and other material, done in a manner more akin to a typical Broadway musical, where songs are incorporated into a formal musical score and accompanied by choreography. The songs in jukebox musicals (of both kinds) are often contextualized into a dramatic plot, and particularly in the case of the later kind, a biographical story about the featured performer(s). In some instances plots do not revolve around the musical act(s) making appearances.

Some Examples

Beautiful, The Carole King Musical
Escape To Margaritaville (Music of Jimmy Buffet)
Mamma Mia ( Based on songs of Abba)
Jersey Boys (Based on the music of the Four Seasons)
Part of the Plan (Dan Fogelberg)
On Your Feet! (Gloria Esteban)

Many more artists and groups such as Rod Stewart, Tina Turner, Motown, Queen, The Kinks,

Read history of jukebox musicals and see full list here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jukebox_musical

Note: Irving Azoff manager of the late Dan Fogelberg and Jimmy Buffet.

Dawn
04-12-2018, 02:25 AM
A musical based on the songs of Hotel California would make sense but I also believe there is real potential in the biographical story and music of Glenn Frey. He was after all the man with the plan.

Dawn
04-12-2018, 10:42 AM
I'm afraid that given the somewhat muted reaction to his death & the fact that his former band decided it was OK to continue, as well as the fact that there has been no tribute to him, I have to say that I don't think he was well known enough for such a project. I know Dreamer disagrees with me on how well known he was; but that's talking about rock music fans. I don't beieve there would be a market for it.

As for the musical, I believe that Henley made a couple of noises about it just after Glenn died. Since then.... it has probaby been dropped. We don't want anything raining on the parade, now do we?

I think Glenn held himself back in terms of the Eagles. He could/should have done more lead songs but the ones he did do are legendary. Peaceful Easy Feeling being one of those. I think a musical based around his life story would do very well. Peaceful Easy Feeling. The Music of Glenn Frey and the Eagles. There are many people who could make that happen don't need Henley.

groupie2686
04-12-2018, 11:10 AM
I just read the most heinous review I've read yet...with the headline "Don't think the Eagles are the Eagles without Glenn Frey? Think again." This writer went on to say that if people who think it's not the Eagles without him should "get over themselves" and another reviewer referenced in the article had the gall to say that they were "even better" without him.

I know I should stop reading these things, but it popped up and I read it anyway....good grief, what did Glenn ever do to these people?? I can understand if people go to these shows and enjoy them, even if I don't agree, but to go on to say they are better without him...I just don't understand that. It is insulting and disrespectful to his memory.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/entertainment/music-news-reviews/article208663999.html

chaim
04-12-2018, 12:45 PM
Whenever a reviewer points to a whole group of people (in this case people who don't like the band without Glenn) and suggests they have a problem with themselvess, he's making a total jerk of himself (unless done as a little joke). By all means say that the band is fine, just don't write bizarre crap about people who don't agree.

EDIT:

I don't have a problem with people who enjoy the current band. WHY do they insist on having a problem with me??? It's not like I'm following the band around, handing "No Glenn, no Eagles" leaflets at concerts.

sodascouts
04-12-2018, 01:08 PM
Whenever a reviewer points to a whole group of people (in this case people who don't like the band without Glenn) and suggests they have a problem with themselvess, he's making a total jerk of himself (unless done as a little joke). By all means say that the band is fine, just don't write bizarre crap about people who don't agree.

EDIT:

I don't have a problem with people who enjoy the current band. WHY do they insist on having a problem with me??? It's not like I'm following the band around, handing "No Glenn, no Eagles" leaflets at concerts.

Perhaps people like this reviewer feel we look down on them, and they lash out at us as a result.

Of course, there's another theory. Maybe, just maybe, he's defensive because deep down in his heart, he knows it's wrong, and he's taking it out on us.

04-12-2018, 01:14 PM
Thanks for the info about the musicals, Dawn. I'm not saying that a jukebox musical for Glenn wouldn't be good - I just think it's unlikely to happen; whereas, I think the Hotel California one could have become a reality if Glenn had lived. The thing is Hotel California would have had Glenn's fingerprints all over it, which I believe would have taken it to a whole 'nother level. Glenn once told Soda, PLS, and I that he would have liked to do the musical score for a film one day. So, I think this project for Glenn was similar in that it allowed him to express his musical arrangement and production talents. But, I've learned to never say never - anything is possible.

And groupie - not only is the review insulting and disrespectful to Glenn, but to Eagles fans as well - not to mention that it is ignorant.

He has the nerve to tell us to "think again" and to get over ourselves. And then after going on at length about how good the show was and how much Deacon sounds like Glenn, he makes a full disclosure that this is the first 'Eagles' concert he has ever been to. Give me a break! Again, I have no problem with a critic telling me how they feel, but I have a huge problem with them telling me how I should feel. As I once read, everyone has the right to be stupid, but this guy is abusing the privilege.

Dawn
04-12-2018, 01:19 PM
Perhaps people like this reviewer feel we look down on them, and they lash out at us as a result.

Of course, there's another theory. Maybe, just maybe, he's defensive because deep down in his heart, he knows it's wrong, and he's taking it out on us.

Attack the messenger ... means it's beyond their menta/emotional capablility

Dawn
04-12-2018, 01:56 PM
There is NO WAY they can justify what they have done without using Deacon as an emotional hook and relying on brand name Vince Gill. Henley is not up to par per the review I am reading and Joe Walsh sounds like he is showing his age as well.

The reviewer admits his shortcomings - he simply took it too far. He should have presented the other side of the issue by interviewing stay- away fans since he made so many allegations and assumptions about them. Very one sided biased interview loses credibility.

chaim
04-12-2018, 02:08 PM
There is NO WAY they can justify what they have done without using Deacon as an emotional hook and relying on brand name Vince Gill. Henley is not up to par per the review I am reading and Joe Walsh sounds like he is showing his age as well.

The reviewer admits his shortcomings - he simply took it too far. He should have presented the other side of the issue by interviewing stay- away fans since he made so many allegations and assumptions about them. Very one sided biased interview loses credibility.

Apparently his lack of experience may only cloud our views of his opinions. :lol:

groupie2686
04-12-2018, 02:39 PM

EDIT:

Right?? There was no need for the reviewer to attack the fans like that, it was like a slap in the face. He could say he enjoyed the concert without being so nasty about it.

I wonder why all of the reviews have been so positive. I haven't read a review that said, it's NOT right without Glenn, it's not the same. Is Irving or the band paying these people to write positive reviews? The press wasn't always so kind to the Eagles, back in the day.

chaim
04-12-2018, 02:47 PM
Right?? There was no need for the reviewer to attack the fans like that, it was like a slap in the face. He could say he enjoyed the concert without being so nasty about it.

I wonder why all of the reviews have been so positive. I haven't read a review that said, it's NOT right without Glenn, it's not the same. Is Irving or the band paying these people to write positive reviews? The press wasn't always so kind to the Eagles, back in the day.

Strange, isn't it? It's not that I expect reviewers to say that the band sucks, but this "awesome, perhaps even better than ever" stuff everywhere is....very strange. (especially since bands rarely get better than ever when the members are about seventy) Personally I feel that some people are so amazed by the band continuing - seeing it as a survival story - that whatever they do, it's magnificent.

Dawn
04-12-2018, 02:50 PM

IMHO

1. I gotta believe there are people in Glenn's inner circle who even if they support Deacon being in the band could and would certainly disagree that the band sounds better without Glenn. The conflict is in speaking candidly about how they really feel with the band engaged in a full on mega big bucks tour and employing a couple of Freys, Henleys and a host of other folks dependent on the band for income. i think it is unrealistic family friends and/or relatives would do anything but tow the line.

2. Azoff has been managing the band since the very early days and owes alot of his own fame and fortune to Frey and Henley and to a lesser degree, Walsh and Schmit. The Classic East/West was Azoff's answer to the huge money maker Desert Trip 2016. Eagles Tour 2018 definitly isn't his first rodeo. Publicity, press kits and releases, free tickets and merch, radio interviews it's all about PROMOTION and PROMOTERS. Local news publications with in house and free lance concert reviewers have a job to do mot unlime radio and television stations. yhey are competing for readers, viewers and listeners.

3. I think Cameron Crowe has proven himself to be one of the most intelligent, skilled music industry reviewers and critics. He was very close to Glenn Frey and I hope he is seeing thru the smoke and mirrors but even then what's he going to say or do.

4. Social media rife with paid followers and promoters.

WalshFan88
04-12-2018, 03:26 PM
I shared my thoughts in the comments section of that article. I'm thinking about sending the guy an email too. What an @sshole, pardon my French. But I'm sick and tired of being told it's the same or better and that we need to "get over it".

chaim
04-12-2018, 03:43 PM
I shared my thoughts in the comments section of that article. I'm thinking about sending the guy an email too. What an @sshole, pardon my French. But I'm sick and tired of being told it's the same or better and that we need to "get over it".

"Totally hogwash." I like that. :lol: I don't think e-mailing him will get us anywhere though. I suggest we let him have his day.

04-12-2018, 04:33 PM
Toni - I agree that emailing the critic won't go anywhere, but I say if it makes Austin feel better and helps him vent, then go for it! :grin:

Freypower
04-12-2018, 06:51 PM

I have had exactly the same thoughts.

However, I made a vow that I would no longer read these reviews, so I didn't read this one.

WalshFan88
04-12-2018, 06:59 PM
"Totally hogwash." I like that. :lol: I don't think e-mailing him will get us anywhere though. I suggest we let him have his day.

Hahaha, better than total "horse@#$%" I guess!

Dawn
04-12-2018, 07:11 PM
More and more I am beginning to realize the far reaching ripple effect of what Henley, Azoff, the other band members have done.

Dawn
04-13-2018, 01:01 AM
Glenn had the vision to make a Broadway musical venture about Eagles music a success and the tenacity to get it done. I do believe that was the game plan.

chaim
04-13-2018, 03:24 AM
Hahaha, better than total "horse@#$%" I guess!

Heve the comments been removed? I was going to see if there are more of them, but I can't find even the previous ones.

04-13-2018, 11:14 AM
More and more I am beginning to realize the far reaching ripple effect of what Henley, Azoff, the other band members have done.

Yep - I think that's what many of us have feared all along. The precedent has been set and who knows where it will take us. This may be just the beginning.

Heve the comments been removed? I was going to see if there are more of them, but I can't find even the previous ones.

Wow! How lame. I can't see them either. So, apparently, the guy with all the experience of one concert under his belt can dish it out, but he can't take it.

UndertheWire
04-13-2018, 11:51 AM
Perhaps the reviewers seeing the shows go in with lowered expectations and therefore they are happy that those expectations are exceeded. I know some go further than that, but in that most recent review, he didn't have anything to compare it with.

New Kid In Town
04-13-2018, 12:03 PM
Yep - I think that's what many of us have feared all along. The precedent has been set any who knows where it will take us. This may be just the beginning.

Wow! How lame. I can't see them either. So, apparently, the guy with all the experience of one concert under his belt can dish it out, but he can't take it.

What a jerk that guy is !

Dawn
04-13-2018, 03:09 PM
Seems to be taking the high and mighty road rather than be gracious and accept that fans are divided on this new lineup and those who don't support the new band do not deserve to be ridiculed or shamed.

Dawn
04-13-2018, 06:42 PM
This critic never heard for himself what the band sounded like when Glenn Frey was alive so why even go there in terms of comparing the sound of the two versions?

Freypower
04-13-2018, 08:03 PM
This critic never heard for himself what the band sounded like when Glenn Frey was alive so why even go there in terms of comparing the sound of the two versions?

Precisely. He was unable to make a valid comparison.

It sounds very much like someone with a particular 'agenda' rather than a bona fide critic, which adds to the suspicion around some other reviews.

Presumably if there IS a bad review, there will be a link? I mean I'm not looking for reviews; the people who are in favour of this are.

A couple of comments in the Charlotte review thread jarred with me. But as I got into so much trouble recently for making an observation about another review thread, it would appear the only solution is not only to not read the reviews, but to not read those threads AT ALL.

It seems extremely sad & unfortunate that those who are against this can't even say that we disagree with anything posted in one of those threads without the likelihood of another tsumani brewing.

WalshFan88
04-13-2018, 08:27 PM
Super lame that they deleted the comments. The author must be insecure...

chaim
04-14-2018, 02:53 AM
Like I suggested before, the fact that the reviewer says his lack of experience may cloud our views of his opinions - but apparently cannot make his own arguments any less valid - says a lot IMO. In other words, his lack of knowledge of what he's writing about is OUR problem if anyone's.

04-14-2018, 10:27 AM
This was brought up earlier and I do think it's very odd that not one review that I've seen so far going back to last year has a mention about how Lebowski 'hates the fuc#@&* Eagles'. And I don't recall reading one negative review. It does make you wonder why things that used to happen with a fair amount of frequency are non-existent now. I suppose it's because the band is so much cooler and better now. To borrow a word from Austin ... hogwash; my own word is bull crap! :evil:

Dawn
04-14-2018, 12:04 PM
It sure looks to me like Vince and Deacon and the horn and string sections of the band are doing a good job diverting attention away from shortcomings of Don and Joe, and Timothy but to a much lesser extent.

YoungEaglesFan
04-14-2018, 12:15 PM
This was brought up earlier and I do think it's very odd that not one review that I've seen so far going back to last year has a mention about how Lebowski 'hates the fuc#@&* Eagles'. And I don't recall reading one negative review. It does make you wonder why things that used to happen with a fair amount of frequency are non-existent now. I suppose it's because the band is so much cooler and better now. To borrow a word from Austin ... hogwash; my own word is bull crap! :evil:

This is a fair point. There seems to be a much more positive view on the band recently. I think part of it is that many would be scared to criticize them because of Deacon being in the band and how it could come across rude with his dads passing. But it is definitely unfair that the current lineup is being given amazing reviews when the lineup with Glenn was not. Its ridiculous.

UndertheWire
04-14-2018, 04:40 PM
There's an unpleasant and ignorant preview that includes the line "It’s a shame that the only dead Eagle is the one who is the easiest not to love" and then claims that all Eagles, past and present have more or less described Glenn as a "calculating, tyrannical bully". I was wondering how he could have gained this impression but realised it must come from reading - and believing - youtube comments! So there are still idiots out there.

chaim
04-14-2018, 07:00 PM
There's an unpleasant and ignorant preview that includes the line "It’s a shame that the only dead Eagle is the one who is the easiest not to love" and then claims that all Eagles, past and present have more or less described Glenn as a "calculating, tyrannical bully". I was wondering how he could have gained this impression but realised it must come from reading - and believing - youtube comments! So there are still idiots out there.

It's getting really sick. Seems like dissing and/or downplaying Glenn is slowly becoming the new normal. What on earth happened??? Are those who say Glenn Frey was nothing and the band is better without him going to be the "true fans" in the future? What a musical dystopia.

sodascouts
04-14-2018, 07:02 PM
Wow.

So this tour is not only an insult to Glenn figuratively, it's led to literal insults of Glenn on a regular basis.

From the beginning, though, it's been necessary for them to diminish him in order to build themselves up; they do it implicitly while others do it explicitly.

And that is strange that not one snide comment has been made in any of these reviews about the Eagles or Don Henley. Usually, at least a few of the reviews have to get a dig in or two about the band being too corporate/greedy or have to inject that stupid Lebowski reference, regardless of how well the music is played.

Odd.

Dawn
04-14-2018, 07:18 PM
What disgusts me is even as Deacon sings his heartfelt songs in honor of his Dad in front of a super size pic of Glenn - critics and fans are taking cheap shots and diminishing Glenn's value to boost their own and the band's self serving needs and wants.

Freypower
04-14-2018, 08:14 PM
What disgusts me is even as Deacon sings his heartfelt songs in honor of his Dad in front of a super size pic of Glenn - critics and fans are taking cheap shots and diminishing Glenn's value to boost their own and the band's self serving needs and wants.

Actually from what I have read, the photo of Glenn only appears at the end of PEF & at no other time.

Freypower
04-14-2018, 08:17 PM
Wow.

So this tour is not only an insult to Glenn figuratively, it's led to literal insults of Glenn on a regular basis.

From the beginning, though, it's been necessary for them to diminish him in order to build themselves up; they do it implicitly while others do it explicitly.

And that is strange that not one snide comment has been made in any of these reviews about the Eagles or Don Henley. Usually, at least a few of the reviews have to get a dig in or two about the band being too corporate/greedy or have to inject that stupid Lebowski reference, regardless of how well the music is played.

Odd.

Yes.

The way the media has just accepted this with no question is becoming a real concern.

By the way, nobody ever claimed Glenn was a saint. Nobody, least of all me, wanted to mythologise him & portray him as something he wasn't. Neither do I wish to use the 'he can't defend himself' argument. But he deserved rather more respect than he was granted by some. I will leave others to decide who 'some' includes. The 'some people didn't like him & therefore it's OK to bash him' stuff is YouTube level, not journalism, just as the apparently endless reviews full of nothing but praise are also not journalism.

groupie2686
04-14-2018, 10:05 PM

That's terrible. What did Glenn ever do to these people?? This is so wrong and disrespectful. If a reviewer wants to say they enjoyed the show, that's fine, but why do they have to be so nasty about Glenn while doing it? I'm surprised that Henley is coming off so well in these reviews. It seems like the press was never kind to Glenn, Henley, or the eagles throughout the years, but now they have nothing but good things... this is so sad.

Freypower
04-14-2018, 10:32 PM
That's terrible. What did Glenn ever do to these people?? This is so wrong and disrespectful. If a reviewer wants to say they enjoyed the show, that's fine, but why do they have to be so nasty about Glenn while doing it? I'm surprised that Henley is coming off so well in these reviews. It seems like the press was never kind to Glenn, Henley, or the eagles throughout the years, but now they have nothing but good things... this is so sad.

To be fair, a lot of past reviews, when positive, would rave about Henley & Walsh while virtually ignoring Glenn.

Now however it seems that they want to attack him too. When he isn't even there.

Dawn
04-15-2018, 12:25 PM

Yes it is sad. And it's pathetic. To answer your question I don't know why. What I can say with some degree of certainty is had the Eagles ended on the high note of the HOTE tour the legacy of the band and Glenn Frey would not be irrovocably tarnished. This did not have to happen. Don Henley had other options. They all did.

Dawn
04-15-2018, 06:49 PM
NRR is an entity that recently did a concert review of the band.

-----------------------------

"Whether you’re a national record label, a publicist representing artists, or even an upcoming hard-working band looking for national exposure, National Rock Review staff can help deliver your message and music to the global entertainment market."

https://www.nationalrockreview.com/about-nrr

Freypower
04-15-2018, 08:53 PM
NRR is an entity that recently did a concert review of the band.

-----------------------------

"Whether you’re a national record label, a publicist representing artists, or even an upcoming hard-working band looking for national exposure, National Rock Review staff can help deliver your message and music to the global entertainment market."

https://www.nationalrockreview.com/about-nrr

Can you provide a link to the review?

This appears to be proof that they are hiring people to write positive reviews for them.

Dawn
04-15-2018, 09:20 PM
Can you provide a link to the review?

This appears to be proof that they are hiring people to write positive reviews for them.

Chicago concert March 2018

Reviewer is a photographer too. First time I have seen mention of a standing ovation for Glenn Frey. Wonder if this will comtinue or just a one time thing.

https://www.nationalrockreview.com/concert-reviews/eagles-united-center-chicago-il

The music critic who wrote the review for the St Louis concert contending the Eagles sound better then ever appears to be a freelance writer.

The band has just started their 53 concert tour. They have a long long way to go. I can only hope someone out there is watching and will pull back the curtain to reveal the bigger story.

WalshFan88
04-15-2018, 10:55 PM

That is such bull sh!t about him being a bully. Sounds like a salty Felder fan.

It says a lot about them. And what kind of people they are. Glenn was the leader of the Eagles. He led them, but a bully he was not. He was the visionary and the one who everybody followed. Including Don Felder. I love DF as a musician but not so much as a person anymore. And I've changed my viewpoint on him. He wasn't Mr. Innocent. And Glenn wasn't a raging jerk either. DF has his own issues.

WalshFan88
04-15-2018, 10:56 PM
Wow.

Odd.

Yep. Someone awhile back was upset that I or maybe someone else called these reviewers shameful. But that's exactly what they are and I call it like I see it.

sodascouts
04-16-2018, 12:55 AM
Something interesting... over on the Fleetwood Mac boards, people are saying that the "Eagles" shows they've been to this year actually have been far from sold out. One person said "60% capacity." Another person said the box office saleslady told him they had "tons" of $250 seats left, although the cheap seats were sold out.

They're still making money hand over fist because of the prices they're charging... but apparently, when it comes to the number of tickets sold, it's not quite as successful as they would have us believe.

YoungEaglesFan
04-16-2018, 10:52 AM
Had Glenn written a book telling his story of the Eagles I’m sure the bad reviews wouldn’t exist (or at least there wouldn’t be as many). Since Felder’s book is the only detailed personal story of the band, many people in the media base it off of that. In the book Felder does refer to Don and Glenn as bullies, but his book is more focused on Glenn that Don, so that’s probably why. It’s totally unfair for them to do that but I can see why they think that way.

groupie2686
04-16-2018, 01:29 PM
I wonder if the press's negative treatment of Glenn goes back a long way - back to his statement against the New York Dolls on stage in NYC in 1973 and his dislike of Rolling Stone. Of course, that's assuming that today's reviewers even know about that.

BillBailey1976
04-16-2018, 02:20 PM
Something interesting... over on the Fleetwood Mac boards, people are saying that the "Eagles" shows they've been to this year actually have been far from sold out. One person said "60% capacity." Another person said the box office saleslady told him they had "tons" of $250 seats left, although the cheap seats were sold out.

They're still making money hand over fist because of the prices they're charging... but apparently, when it comes to the number of tickets sold, it's not quite as successful as they would have us believe.

I did notice that about a week before the Lexington show, there were probably a few hundred or more upper deck seats for 49.50 available.
We toyed with the idea of going, but just didn't have the heart. If my wife had been on board, I may have gave it a go, but she was sort of like, "Glenn was my favorite, and he's not there, so I could care less"

BillBailey1976
04-16-2018, 02:28 PM
There are bunches of tickets left for tomorrow night's show in Raleigh

Dawn
04-16-2018, 03:14 PM
I wonder if the press's negative treatment of Glenn goes back a long way - back to his statement against the New York Dolls on stage in NYC in 1973 and his dislike of Rolling Stone. Of course, that's assuming that today's reviewers even know about that.

No credible, reputable music critic is going to take mean, nasty shots like the ones reportedly aimed at Glenn Frey. They may not like him and that's perfectly okay but he has nothing to do with the new lineup's show or performance. The attacks against Glenn personally are just that -- Personal -- and say MORE about the person making them (e.g. ignorant, petty, insecure) then they ever could about Glenn Frey. I mean seriously, talk about shameless.

Dawn
04-16-2018, 03:18 PM
Thanks BB, appreciate the info!

Freypower
04-16-2018, 07:28 PM
No credible, reputable music critic is going to take mean, nasty shots like the ones reportedly aimed at Glenn Frey. They may not like him and that's perfectly okay but he has nothing to do with the new lineup's show or performance. The attacks against Glenn personally are just that .. Personal attacks ... and say MORE about the person making them then they do about Glenn Frey.

Adding to the suspicion that they are not genuine reviews, but have been deliberately written by somebody with an agenda.

As for all the old stuff about the New York Dolls, Rolling Stone & Felder's book there is enough similar ammunition which could be directed against Henley if 'reviewers' felt so inclined.

The point is if there a 'review' it is supposed to set out the good AND the bad, and not just follow some predetermined message. That's how it was in the past. The continuing lack of any negativiity in any of these reviews except for that which is increasingly being directed at Glenn is quite obvious.

WKMB55
04-16-2018, 11:40 PM
I very seldom read entertainment reviews of any kind. Personally, I don't care for them. Maybe someone who is more familiar can answer my question. Have there always been reviewers who will write nothing but positive reviews for music groups if the price is right or is this a new trend?

Dawn
04-18-2018, 12:17 AM
Hi WKMB55! You ask an interesting, thought provoking question. I do feel we are in uncharted waters. There are certain music reviews and commentaries I have found very informative over the years. One in particular "Twilight of the Rock Gods." is quite good and worth a read. I think the new normal with artists and bands touring well into their 70's many with what I call "dream team" additions (name brand replacements with built in fan bases) to capitalize on the expendable income of classic rock baby boomers and attract younger fans with multi-band festivals is a BIG DEAL. Social media easily manipulated with fake news, comments and reviews.

Edited to Add

Sorry, this is rather disjointed. I will need to go back and clean it up lol, In the meantime for anyone interested here is a link to the Wall Street Journal March 2017 article by Neil Shah " Twilight of the Rock Gods".

I don't agree with everything the writer opines but a lot of what he says is based on available data and he makes a good case for his personal thoughts and feelings. Me? I am astounded at the amount of money touring brings in. Clearly the line of people who benefit (profit) from aging artists and acts like Paul McCartney, Brian Wilson, Fleetwood Mac, Eagles, Springsteen, Jimmy Buffet etc still going out on the road singing the same songs they have been doing for decades is long and getting longer. Is anyone really going to criticize Sir Paul?

http://us.vocuspr.com/ViewAttachment.aspx?EID=cpZ7cCcDKQLTCyyd3OPZGRnH/JzLBb7VZOryYvI6uCQ%3D

04-18-2018, 11:47 AM
I very seldom read entertainment reviews of any kind. Personally, I don't care for them. Maybe someone who is more familiar can answer my question. Have there always been reviewers who will write nothing but positive reviews for music groups if the price is right or is this a new trend?

I don't know the answer to your question, MKMB55, but I will say that as long as I've been around (more than a little while), I have never heard of any entertainers paying for positive concert reviews before. This is a totally new concept that I'm still trying to wrap my head around. To me, it is absurd. It is one thing to market and advertise your brand, but if you have to pay people to say nice things about you, isn't that rather sad? Not to mention disingenuous.

Dawn
04-19-2018, 10:58 PM
I don't know the answer to your question, MKMB55, but I will say that as long as I've been around (more than a little while), I have never heard of any entertainers paying for positive concert reviews before. This is a totally new concept that I'm still trying to wrap my head around. To me, it is absurd. It is one thing to market and advertise your brand, but if you have to pay people to say nice things about you, isn't that rather sad? Not to mention disingenuous.

Personally, when a band's management company, promoter, agent and/or publicist uses one of these firms I think it is a safe bet they are doing so with the expectation the services rendered are of help to their client ...

Social media more than any other phenomenon I can think of has enabled brands to market themselves and promote their agenda 24/7 thru Twitter, Facebook, Instgram etc. Hashtags Rule. Critical thinking is darn near obsolete.

UndertheWire
04-20-2018, 05:18 AM
Isn't it normal practice that the writers who give favourable reviews are more likely to be invited to release parties, given access to the performers for interviews etc? Whereas those who consistently write negatively might find that their press passes get lost and no one has time to speak to them. It seems to have been like that in the 70s and I can't see why it would have changed.

04-20-2018, 11:30 AM
UTW - You are probably right that there has always been favoritism shown towards the friendliest press. But, I think what has seemed to have changed is that now there is money actually being exchanged to write positive reviews. That is the issue I have - just seems backwards and kind of 'icky' to me. Before, if a critic liked a band, they would write genuinely positive reviews, and then the band tended to like them back. Nowadays, bands are paying 'critics' to write positive reviews whether they really like the band or not. For me, that makes it hard to trust that what I read is genuine.

Dawn
04-20-2018, 12:35 PM
UTW and Dreamer you both make great points. I suppose two can play this game. Feel free to add your own hastag # opinion.

#NoGlennFreyNoEagles

Dawn
04-20-2018, 12:49 PM
UTW - You are probably right that there has always been favoritism shown towards the friendliest press. But, I think what has seemed to have changed is that now there is money actually being exchanged to write positive reviews. That is the issue I have - just seems backwards and kind of 'icky' to me. Before, if a critic liked a band, they would write genuinely positive reviews, and then the band tended to like them back. Nowadays, bands are paying 'critics' to write positive reviews whether they really like the band or not. For me, that makes it hard to trust that what I read is genuine.

The landscape has changed dramatically. In the early days before CABLE TV and the INTERNET it was AM Radio and mainstream media PRINT media like the LA Times who had their own in house music critic. All these celebrity social media accounts set up by publicists and talent agencies who can purchase fake followers/fans did not exist. Bands promoted themselves on the Ed Sullivan show or American Bandstand before MTV. College campuses were fertile grounds for promoting artists. Tickets were affordable. The historic Woodstock and Monterey Pop Festival outdoor concerts were THE E Ticket ride!

04-20-2018, 01:14 PM
I think I'm going to start a new topic in the Cheap Talk and Wine forum about these practices. Dawn, I'm going to link to the article that you posted a few page back if that's okay.

Dawn
04-20-2018, 02:50 PM
I think I'm going to start a new topic in the Cheap Talk and Wine forum about these practices. Dawn, I'm going to link to the article that you posted a few page back if that's okay.

Awesome, I'm sorry Dreamer. Did not intend to get off topic. I appreciate the help!!! Dawn

04-20-2018, 06:01 PM
Dawn - I think this discussion is perfectly appropriate for this thread and don't mean to discourage it in any way so there is absolutely no need to apologize. I just thought I would open up a more general debate discussion in another thread that anyone can contribute to since this thread isn't for debate. So, please feel free to carry on here as well if you want. I should have made myself clearer in my above post.

Freypower
04-20-2018, 07:38 PM
In the new thread MC stated that reviews for HOTE were 'overwhelmingly positive' & the reviews for this tour are in line with those.

First of all, I disagree that the HOTE reviews were overwhelmingly positive. I remember a great deal of criticism. The point is that all that has now gone. To me it is suspicious. Where is the critical analysis of what Glenn's loss means musically? Where is any criticism of the two new musicians? I know I am against this lineup but I just don't believe that they are now as good as (or 'better') than they were. The implication from these reviews is that Glenn was dragging them down. All I want to see is some balance. Until I see it, I will question the veracity of these reviews.

Dawn
04-21-2018, 01:43 AM
In the new thread MC stated that reviews for HOTE were 'overwhelmingly positive' & the reviews for this tour are in line with those.

First of all, I disagree that the HOTE reviews were overwhelmingly positive. I remember a great deal of criticism. The point is that all that has now gone. To me it is suspicious. Where is the critical analysis of what Glenn's loss means musically? Where is any criticism of the two new musicians? I know I am against this lineup but I just don't believe that they are now as good as (or 'better') than they were. The implication from these reviews is that Glenn was dragging them down. All I want to see is some balance. Until I see it, I will question the veracity of these reviews.

I agree FP. Where indeed. I hope in time someone will step up and answer your questions. I keep thinking of Cameron Crowe who met Glenn when he was a young writer for Rolling Stone and went on to cast him in Jerry Maguire. I wonder what he thinks about the band continuing without Glenn. Is he okay with it because of Deacon's presence? What does he think about Vince Gill? Is he aware there are fans who don't accept the lineup as legitimate and if so what would he say to us ... Get over it?

Side Note:

Many people are unaware that Crowe was married to Nancy Wilson of Heart for many years.

04-21-2018, 12:56 PM
I totally agree with your post, FP. As I said in the other thread, these are all certainly legitimate questions to ponder.

But, I guess there are some apologists for this version of the band that will never criticize them no matter what. As I've said before, one should be able to approve of this version of the band, and still find room for criticism and questions. The two are not mutually exclusive.

chaim
04-21-2018, 03:19 PM
I totally agree with your post, FP. As I said in the other thread, these are all certainly legitimate questions to ponder.

But, I guess there are some apologists for this version of the band that will never criticize them no matter what. As I've said before, one should be able to approve of this version of the band, and still find room for criticism and questions. The two are not mutually exclusive.

Like we say in the internet world, "THIS".

Freypower
04-21-2018, 08:04 PM
Maybe some of these reviewers don't want to tread on any toes. They may be accused of being 'insensitive' if they criticise a young guy who lost his father two years ago, just as those of us who are against this were criticised for raining on the parade. Maybe they're afraid to tell it like it is.

Because as I said, there is NO WAY these shows are the same as, or better than, the shows with Glenn Frey, and to imply that they are is insulting, demeaning & extremely disrespectful to Glenn Frey's memory.

But then as Soda said, his memory is being diminished every time they take the stage, whether they make the perfunctory comments or not.

sodascouts
04-21-2018, 08:36 PM
An intelligent veteran of the Fleetwood Mac boards named David wrote the following about the departure of Lindsey Buckingham from Fleetwood Mac and the band's "survival" without him, and I couldn't help but think how well it applied to the "Eagles" without Glenn:
"The notion of [the importance of the band's] survival doesn't mean all that much to me. The planet is filled with bands that have survived, but who wants to listen to them? I drive down the 215 and see a billboard for yet another Journey concert at one of the north county casinos, and I think 'Good Lord.' Journey survives — but what's the point? Another year playing casinos and fairs milking the old hits made famous by the original singer? It really is just a paycheck at that point. If Fleetwood Mac wants to 'survive' and tour with strange new members, milking old hits made famous by the departed, it is just a paycheck. No interest to me. Those who find it interesting are in luck, certainly — but I wonder whether they're kidding themselves. [...] This latest (and I hope last) incarnation will leave no lasting music, no legacy. The crowds will still flock, probably, and the money will roll in. The band just wants a paycheck, and they'll get a paycheck."

chaim
04-22-2018, 03:20 AM
Soda, I remember saying that perhaps some reviewers are amazed by Eagles' "survival story" and that's why they find everything so amazing. So I agree with this person in that "survival" alone doesn't make a band worth hearing/seeing, but it is not for me to say what drives those bands to go on.

chaim
04-22-2018, 03:24 AM

100% agreed. Especially the last two sentences.

Dawn
04-22-2018, 01:56 PM
100% agreed. Especially the last two sentences.

I second that emotion.

Personally I have not given up hope that someone is paying attention especially given what has just transpired with Fleetwood Mac and that this person recognizes there is a much bigger and important story to be told then the one currently being peddled around.

Dawn
04-22-2018, 05:23 PM
Once Fleetwood Max goes on tour and starts generating reviews of their new lineup it is going to be quite interesting to compare theirs with the Eagles.

WalshFan88
04-22-2018, 09:39 PM
This idea that the Eagles can sound good or put on a good show without Glenn (as most recently presented in the Fake Reviews thread) is just mind-blowing...

#NOGLENNNOEAGLES

Dawn
04-22-2018, 11:51 PM
From the moment Henley declared he had he changed his mind and the band would be continuing I knew the Eagles were done.

What I couldn't know was just how long it would take for them to be over.

That's on Henley.

#NOGLENNNOEAGLES

Dawn
04-23-2018, 12:04 PM
The self proclaimed curator of the Eagles legacy and what is left of it.

Brooke
04-23-2018, 12:22 PM
An intelligent veteran of the Fleetwood Mac boards named David wrote the following about the departure of Lindsey Buckingham from Fleetwood Mac and the band's "survival" without him, and I couldn't help but think how well it applied to the "Eagles" without Glenn:
"The notion of [the importance of the band's] survival doesn't mean all that much to me. The planet is filled with bands that have survived, but who wants to listen to them? I drive down the 215 and see a billboard for yet another Journey concert at one of the north county casinos, and I think 'Good Lord.' Journey survives — but what's the point? Another year playing casinos and fairs milking the old hits made famous by the original singer? It really is just a paycheck at that point. If Fleetwood Mac wants to 'survive' and tour with strange new members, milking old hits made famous by the departed, it is just a paycheck. No interest to me. Those who find it interesting are in luck, certainly — but I wonder whether they're kidding themselves. [...] This latest (and I hope last) incarnation will leave no lasting music, no legacy. The crowds will still flock, probably, and the money will roll in. The band just wants a paycheck, and they'll get a paycheck."

Perfect!

New Kid In Town
04-23-2018, 01:06 PM
Amen. Although, I do think this has hurt the Eagles legacy a great deal. I now believe Don never cared for the legacy of the band the same way Glenn did. I know most people don't agree with this but that's ok.

Dawn
04-23-2018, 03:26 PM
Amen. Although, I do think this has hurt the Eagles legacy a great deal. I now believe Don never cared for the legacy of the band the same way Glenn did. I know most people don't agree with this but that's ok.

I agree. Instead of retiring the band on a high note following the end of the History of the Eagles two year tour and death of Glenn Frey six months later, the band hired two new members, refueled the mother ship and embarked on an extensive 50+ play dates tour across North America.

Dawn
04-27-2018, 02:02 PM
FWIW ... Rolling Stone described the upcoming Fleetwood Mac tour of 50+ play dates as "Massive".

Anyone see them or any other media source (electronic, print, tv/radio) say the same about the Eagles tour?

WalshFan88
04-27-2018, 04:03 PM
So I finally found it within myself to watch the new band playing TIE this year. Vince Gill is now doing the solo. Sigh....it's too close to Bernie's version. When Joe played it he often used a Gibson-style humbucking pickup guitar in recent years and played it with a rock edge. That's sorely missed. Joe rocked that solo.

Just listen to a recent old band version of TIE. Or even TIE in the early part of the new band. It's so much better when you add that rock flair to it. Vince plays it too safe IMO. For me that will always be a Joe moment in my mind. The way he played it made it fun. And not boring. I'm normally for the Eagles playing it like the record but I'm not a fan of Bernie or Vince on that. I guess that's alright since some people prefer Vince on TITTL, so it's okay to prefer Joe's take on that solo.

On HFO Joe played a Tele but still listen to that extended solo. That rocks. Not that twangy sound that Bernie had. I like Bernie, but his style isn't my cup of tea.

04-30-2018, 11:59 AM
I love Bernie, but I have to agree with Austin. I prefer Joe's extended solos in Take It Easy - they absolutely rock.

I simply do not understand the public's acceptance of substitutes for essential players in bands nowadays. There was a reason the band did not continue without Glenn until he agreed to come back for HFO - in the 90's, it would have been considered a fraud. What a difference 25 years makes.

WKMB55
04-30-2018, 03:01 PM
I would suppose that there might have been some legal opposition between 1980 and 1994 that no longer existed following Glenn's passing if the band members had decided to continue without him.

groupie2686
04-30-2018, 03:17 PM
Apart from the threat of a lawsuit, I think the others wouldn't have dared do the Eagles without him when he was alive. In HOTE, Timothy says that they got together in Aspen in 1990, but Glenn didn't come, so the reunion didn't happen. When Glenn had his surgery in 1994, they didn't get a temporary replacement and continue on their tour until he recovered, as some bands have done in a situation like that, they rescheduled the concerts.

I don't understand the public's acceptance of substitutes either. Isn't it the combination of people in a band that make it magic, not just the songs themselves? At least, it is for me. If the songs are all you care about it, you could go see a tribute band or to a karaoke bar and save your money. And while I know that the Eagles had substituted plenty of members in their time, there are some band members in every band who are so essential they can't be replaced.

BillBailey1976
05-07-2018, 01:55 PM
I know that the Eagles had substituted plenty of members in their time, there are some band members in every band who are so essential they can't be replaced.

This has become my position on the matter too. I think back to the California Jam, when Felder's wife was pregnant. They plugged in Jackson Browne to play guitar and sing backup. Had this been Glenn or Don, there's no way they'd have went on.
Bernie or Randy...yeah they'd have replaced them too and went on, but not without Glenn or Don. The fans would have been outraged.

Dawn
05-07-2018, 03:17 PM
What troubles me is why Glenn Frey even had to be replaced if not for the Classic East/West/Northwest and massive 2018 North America Tour soon to follow and currently underway.

groupie2686
05-07-2018, 03:34 PM
This has become my position on the matter too. I think back to the California Jam, when Felder's wife was pregnant. They plugged in Jackson Browne to play guitar and sing backup. Had this been Glenn or Don, there's no way they'd have went on.
Bernie or Randy...yeah they'd have replaced them too and went on, but not without Glenn or Don. The fans would have been outraged.

I didn't even think about California Jam, but you're right, I don't think they would have gone on without Glenn or Don. Like I said before, when Glenn had his stomach surgery in 1994, they didn't get someone else to fill in for a few concerts, they rescheduled. Or, indeed, as they are doing now that Don is ill.

scottside
05-07-2018, 03:37 PM
I didn't even think about California Jam, but you're right, I don't think they would have gone on without Glenn or Don. Like I said before, when Glenn had his stomach surgery in 1994, they didn't get someone else to fill in for a few concerts, they rescheduled. Or, indeed, as they are doing now that Don is ill.

Keep in my mind that when the Californa Jam event took place, the band was used to playing as a four piece situation so it wasn't a stretch for them to go back to that. Adding Jackson may have been nice, but IMHO his contributions to the songs I've heard from that were negligible. Piano on "Take It Easy" was different but not essential and playing acoustic guitar on one or two of the others hardly even noticeable.

Freypower
05-07-2018, 07:03 PM
What troubles me is why Glenn Frey even had to be replaced if not for the Classic East/West/Northwest and massive 2018 North America Tour soon to follow and currently underway.

He didn't have to be replaced. He shouldn't have been. That's all.

BillBailey1976
05-08-2018, 10:05 AM

I didn't know that Don was Ill. What's wrong? Anything serious?

05-08-2018, 12:07 PM
BB - You can read more about Don's recent illness here (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7486).

Apart from the threat of a lawsuit, I think the others wouldn't have dared do the Eagles without him when he was alive. In HOTE, Timothy says that they got together in Aspen in 1990, but Glenn didn't come, so the reunion didn't happen. When Glenn had his surgery in 1994, they didn't get a temporary replacement and continue on their tour until he recovered, as some bands have done in a situation like that, they rescheduled the concerts.

I don't understand the public's acceptance of substitutes either. Isn't it the combination of people in a band that make it magic, not just the songs themselves? At least, it is for me. If the songs are all you care about it, you could go see a tribute band or to a karaoke bar and save your money. And while I know that the Eagles had substituted plenty of members in their time, there are some band members in every band who are so essential they can't be replaced.

ITA with everything you wrote here, groupie. And, yes, as BB said, if Glenn or Don had ever been replaced when Glenn was alive, the public would have been outraged. That's why I have such a hard time wrapping my head around the acceptance of substitutes in bands in recent years. I was told by some members not too long ago that I was being disrespectful to suggest seeing a tribute band as an alternative, but I don't see it that way at all. If what someone cares about is just seeing the songs performed live, some of the tribute bands I've seen are very skilled musicians and put on an excellent performance at a reasonable cost.

groupie2686
05-08-2018, 01:52 PM
I didn't know that Don was Ill. What's wrong? Anything serious?

The word is he has a cold (as discussed in other threads); they rescheduled 3 concerts this month.

Thank you, Dreamer. I don't understand why people accept substitutes, as I said, it's the people in a band who make it special, not just the songs.

New Kid In Town
05-08-2018, 05:53 PM
I love Bernie, but I have to agree with Austin. I prefer Joe's extended solos in Take It Easy - they absolutely rock.

I simply do not understand the public's acceptance of substitutes for essential players in bands nowadays. There was a reason the band did not continue without Glenn until he agreed to come back for HFO - in the 90's, it would have been considered a fraud. What a difference 25 years makes.

Dreamer - I totally agree.

Dawn
05-11-2018, 05:17 AM
Yep. What a difference indeed.

BillBailey1976
06-06-2018, 09:56 AM
I have just been listening to a pretty good quality "recording" from March of this year, and I have to say, I really don't like what I hear.
I know the recording isn't perfect, but I think it's time for the guys to really think about folding it down. I watched some of the YouTube stuff from last year, and it was all pretty good, but in what I have been listening to, Don and Joe are both sounding very "old man" like, for lack of a better word.
Also, Timothy was not anywhere close to hitting the higher notes in I Can't Tell you Why. His voice would almost completely disappear at the highest parts.

Also, the re-arranging of songs doesn't suit me..and I know, they could care less what suits me, but it feel a lot like a Don Henley concert. He has always messed around with re-arranging Eagles songs at his shows. I think the first time I heard "Hotel California" on the Inside Job DVD I about passed out.

I think it's time guys.....ride off into the sunset.

sodascouts
06-06-2018, 10:57 AM
Well they are freaking 70+ ; I mean how long do they plan on going out there? Sometimes I really think they are going to tour until Don Henley literally cannot croak out more than six notes (changing arrangements to suit their shrinking registers) even if it means they have to wheel them out there.

They've already shown that they're willing to sacrifice the integrity of the Eagles sound for a buck. Going out there despite the deteriorating quality of their vocals is just continuing down that path.

As long as the fans keep paying...

BillBailey1976
06-06-2018, 11:06 AM
Well they are freaking 70+ ; I mean how long do they plan on going on there? Sometimes I really think they are going to tour until Don Henley literally cannot croak out one more than six notes (changing arrangements to suit their shrinking registers) even if it means they have to wheel them out there.

They're already shown that they're willing to sacrifice the integrity of the Eagles sound for a buck. Going out there despite the deteriorating quality of their vocals is just continuing down that path.

As long as the fans keep paying...

Maybe retirement brings their own mortality closer to mind than they'd like.
You know, if we can still do this, we're not that old.

BillBailey1976
06-06-2018, 11:09 AM
And, I know I saw the Eagles on HOTE tour, but the Hell Freezes Over Eagles will always been the soundtrack in my mind of them. They were crisp, they played well, sang well, and were just about as good as it could get.

cosec3791
06-06-2018, 11:15 AM
Just my two cents on this:
Felder was always my favorite member musically, but then him leaving made me lose quite some interest in the band. I don't really listen to much recordings after 1999. Steuart is a proficient guitarist, but him up to the task of Felder? No way for me.

Same way with Glenn for me, but even more. I just feel the new band is "Don Henley and Friends" now. Not the Eagles I even liked. Vince Gill does a decent job, but to me, he is nowhere close to Glenn for me. Doesn't feel close to authentic for me. Kinda feel it is disappointing that Henley decided to go on to earn that paycheck. And I also feel they are losing their voices fast.

BillBailey1976
06-06-2018, 12:23 PM
Just my two cents on this:
Felder was always my favorite member musically, but then him leaving made me lose quite some interest in the band. I don't really listen to much recordings after 1999. Steuart is a proficient guitarist, but him up to the task of Felder? No way for me.

Same way with Glenn for me, but even more. I just feel the new band is "Don Henley and Friends" now. Not the Eagles I even liked. Vince Gill does a decent job, but to me, he is nowhere close to Glenn for me. Doesn't feel close to authentic for me. Kinda feel it is disappointing that Henley decided to go on to earn that paycheck. And I also feel they are losing their voices fast.

Yeah, I was shocked at how their voices were in the show I was listening to from March. Early in the tour, you'd think their voices would be as good as they will be for the tour.

DJ
06-07-2018, 04:05 PM
I personally stopped buying their music in the late seventies when Randy left. With Bernie and Randy gone, a piece of the Eagles magic died. I have to agree these days it seems it is Henley and friends.

WalshFan88
06-09-2018, 04:23 PM
I have just been listening to a pretty good quality "recording" from March of this year, and I have to say, I really don't like what I hear.
I know the recording isn't perfect, but I think it's time for the guys to really think about folding it down. I watched some of the YouTube stuff from last year, and it was all pretty good, but in what I have been listening to, Don and Joe are both sounding very "old man" like, for lack of a better word.
Also, Timothy was not anywhere close to hitting the higher notes in I Can't Tell you Why. His voice would almost completely disappear at the highest parts.

Also, the re-arranging of songs doesn't suit me..and I know, they could care less what suits me, but it feel a lot like a Don Henley concert. He has always messed around with re-arranging Eagles songs at his shows. I think the first time I heard "Hotel California" on the Inside Job DVD I about passed out.

I think it's time guys.....ride off into the sunset.

Couldn't agree more BB1976!

They need to stop. Plain and simple. They aren't doing their legacy any favors by offering a half-butt (lol) version of what they used to. It just is sad IMO. Obviously there are some that see it as keeping their name alive, etc but those people and I will never see eye to eye. To me it's very sad and I don't like to think about it much any more. I've already tried to remove anything Eagles out of my news feeds on social media and/or on Google News, etc. Same for the guys individually. It reminds me of an Eagles song - I Don't Want To Hear Anymore. It's depressing and so wrong to me that I don't even care to read about them.

Dawn
06-10-2018, 11:30 AM
Well said BB and A ... for me there was never any question the guys should have taken their last bow at the Grammy tribute.