PDA

View Full Version : For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6]

Ive always been a dreamer
10-03-2018, 11:47 AM
I have not gone to see Don, Joe, Timothy and the band. I guess I must be very rigid as well because I also have never been to see a "tribute" band. I have a whole other set of issues with them. Everyone has their opinions and choices. It make life more interesting.😎

I've been meaning to respond to you about your comment regarding tribute bands, WKM, but kept forgetting. Anyway, I know that some folks don't like them and I understand that. Heck, I have even been accused of being disrespectful for suggesting them as an alternative to seeing this current lineup of the band. But, I am one who enjoys some tribute bands. Not all of them are good, but there are some out there with very talented, high-quality musicians and singers that do a very respectable job of paying tribute to the artists and bands they represent. I have very much enjoyed seeing some of the Eagles tribute bands and believe I got some really good entertainment at a very reasonable costs. It may not be your thing, but, to me, I would rather spend $30-$40 to hear Eagles songs played live by a great tribute band than $300-$400 to hear a band that pretends to be authentic. JMHO

thelastresort
10-05-2018, 04:44 PM
I've never contributed to this thread but those of you who have seen my posts elsewhere will know my opinion on the current set-up. I'm ot really sure where this posts belongs so I will write it here.

The general sale tickets for their UK tour next summer went live this morning and it was such a strange feeling for me. I saw the Eagles for the first time twice on the History tour, which was the last time they played the UK, in June 2014 and I was absolutely made up from the second I clicked to confirm the booking until I strolled into the O2 Arena however many months later. I spent god only knows what on travel, accommodation and merchandise just so I could see them and get as much as I could.

I would never have believed that the next time they rocked up here I would treat it with a mixture of indifference and contempt. Like everyone else I was so shocked and saddened by Glenn's sudden passing but I took solace from the fact that I had seen them whilst I could, on a superb tour that removed a lot of the folly I hated from the Reunion era (Mighty Horns etc.), had a blinding setlist, and from nowhere unearthed Bernie back to the big time.

I said as much at the time, but I might have accepted the new order had it been someone like Deacon with Jackson Browne, JDS or Bernie providing where Glenn was now absent. I was disappointed by what did transpire though, and without wishing to be hyperbolic I don't think I will forgive the remaining members for how they have treated the passing of Glenn with regard to the band.

It intensified though when they announced that they were heading to these shores a couple of weeks ago - whilst they were playing cities in America (some of which I haven't even heard of!) and all the associated promotion and exposure is over there, it was easy to ignore or forget. But them coming back here has made it so strange for me, a band I used to worship playing not 10 miles from where I live and I couldn't care less. My job means that it isn't impossible I will end up 'working' owing to one of the shows they have lined up (I work for a transport company and am kept pretty much in a job by serving these events, whoever is playing). The fact I could be around the actual arena and hear them play is just too weird at the moment!

UndertheWire
10-05-2018, 05:31 PM
TLR, that's just how I feel. I keep getting emails about the tickets going on sale because I registered with both Ticketmaster and the arena and it just seems strange. I could almost ignore it while it was in the US and pretend it wasn't happening. How can it be Business as Usual?

WalshFan88
10-06-2018, 10:55 PM
Agreed TLR and UTW.

It's very, very upsetting how they just gloss over it like it's nothing. And yes, that upset extends to Deacon and Cindy for going along with it.

I'm going to go ahead and state something that is very subjective and is left to opinion but none the less the way I feel:

Glenn Frey was the most important member of the band.

Would I go see the Eagles if Don were gone but Glenn was there, no probably not, but to me even still - Glenn was the Eagles's founding father. He was to the Eagles as Steve Jobs was to Apple. Not only the founding father but the visionary. As great as Don Henley may be, he to me still cannot overcome Glenn's contributions and willpower and determination. To me Glenn had it all. Talent, songwriting and composition, and a GREAT business sense. Did I agree with everything he chose to do, no. But the difference is I respect him for it. Looking back in hindsight he was right to fire Felder. Felder, as much as I love him as a guitarist, was sour grapes. The band probably would have folded if not for making that decision. And frankly my thoughts of Felder as a human being aren't what they were, and I'll leave that at that. But Glenn always did right by the Eagles. And Don knew it was Glenn's band. When Glenn said no to getting together in the studio - that was it. There was no going on without him then, and they damn sure shouldn't be going on without him now. I have no problem saying how I feel and saying that I don't agree with Deacon Frey and the guys continuing. Contrary to some people's beliefs, that doesn't make me less of a fan.

To me he was the Eagles heart, soul, brains, and brawn. I realize some DH fans or fans of other members may disagree or even take offense, but it is what it is. It's something I had to get off my chest. Something I thought of while the board was down that I wanted to mention in this thread when it was restored. I'm sure most picked up on the idea that this was my belief based on my postings about 3.0 in various threads but it had to be said. To me it's just something that is very much a part of how I view this whole thing. For me no other Eagle, yes even Joe (my hero), comes near Glenn in being the total musician package. It took me a long time to realize why Glenn made certain decisions and why it wasn't fairly split amongst them all. The more I realized this, the more respect I gained for Glenn. Sadly, it all came after his passing.

CAinOH
10-06-2018, 11:51 PM
"If the Eagles were to get back together, it would have to be for the right reasons. I think it would look awful if it were just for the money."
~ Glenn Frey

WKMB55
10-07-2018, 01:06 AM
WalshFan88---I too had thought about Glenn Frey being essential to the Eagles and Steve Jobs being essential to Apple. Then I wondered if that meant that Apple should have ceased to exist after the death of Jobs. They brought someone in to replace him too. It's all very troubling to me if I allow myself to think about it too much.

10-08-2018, 11:21 AM
TLR - Thanks a lot for sharing with us. This is exactly the right thread to post your thoughts in and I daresay all of us who post here understand exactly where you are coming from.

And same to you, Austin. I didn't see your post as being disrespectful and I don't mean to diminish any of the other band members talents because they all have loads of it for sure. However, I do believe Glenn was always the driving force and visionary behind the band from the very start. As Don himself said, he was 'the man with the plan'. I believe the significance of his role in the band is often underappreciated and misunderstood by a lot of fans because so many of his contributions happened behind the scenes. It kind of fits his persona as being a 'quiet giver'. By his own admission, he may have not always handled things as best as he could have in the early years, but, there is no doubt that he selflessly always put the Eagles' interest above all else, including himself.

His talents were the most multi-faceted and well-rounded of all the members, IMO. There is no way this can be the same band without him.

New Kid In Town
10-08-2018, 03:50 PM
TLR - Thanks a lot for sharing with us. This is exactly the right thread to post your thoughts in and I daresay all of us who post here understand exactly where you are coming from.

And same to you, Austin. I didn't see your post as being disrespectful and I don't mean to diminish any of the other band members talents because they all have loads of it for sure. However, I do believe Glenn was always the driving force and visionary behind the band from the very start. As Don himself said, he was 'the man with the plan'. I believe the significance of his role in the band is often underappreciated and misunderstood by a lot of fans because so many of his contributions happened behind the scenes. It kind of fits his persona as being a 'quiet giver'. By his own admission, he may have not always handled things as best as he could have in the early years, but, there is no doubt that he selflessly always put the Eagles' interest above all else, including himself.

His talents were the most multi-faceted and well-rounded of all the members, IMO. There is no way this can be the same band without him.

Dreamer - I could not have said it better myself. Wholeheartedly agree with every word you said. I have always felt Glenn was probably the most talented due to the numerous instrument he could play and his classical music training. As you said, he was greatly underappreciated and misunderstood. No one can replace Glenn.

Dawn
10-08-2018, 09:39 PM
Yes, and these men can do what they want. Henley is being richly rewarded for his change of heart.

I would just shrug it off and say "whatever" if it weren't for the fact that they're diluting what it means to be an "Eagle" with these new members, changing not only the band's sound but also its artistic vision, and diminishing Glenn as nothing more than an expendable, replaceable ex-member in the process.

I say something because as a fan, I care about that.

It's not about whether or not going to concerts is fun, or whether or not they enlist "blood," or whether or not other people think it's ok.

It's about the fact that I, as a fan, hate to see the band I loved degraded, Glenn's vision devalued, in pursuit of the almighty dollar.

I know I've said this before, but the announcement of the European tour just reopens the wounds and brings all the emotions up again, and so here I am. I cannot wait for this tour to be over.

Me either - but will it ever be over?

Dawn
10-09-2018, 09:30 PM
This thread has been split from the "Eagles 3.0 (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6955)" thread, which was initially started when it was unclear whether or not Don Henley would go back on his word that he would not attempt to reform an "Eagles" without Glenn. That thread initially discussed the possibility of an Eagles without Glenn, then for a long time people went back and forth about why they did or did not support it.

Finally, it was obvious there was no "debating" going on, just a vicious cycle of recriminations. People had decided whether or not they supported it, and that was that. Those who did not support it needed a place where they could discuss their feelings without people haranguing them, scolding them, guilt-tripping them, mocking them, gloating about how successful the faux Eagles are without Glenn, etc.

This thread was created for that purpose.

So if you are gung-ho about this this new group of men calling themselves the Eagles, that's great. Go to the Tour threads and Review threads and you'll find like-minded people. Don't come into this thread.

If you want to argue, don't come to this thread. There's a place to debate here (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7389).

People who post in this thread essentially agree with the following statements by Don Henley made on November 28, 2016 in The Washington Post (https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/music/don-henley-says-the-eagles-are-done-it-was-always-glenn-freys-band/2016/11/28/ccd89a4a-aa6a-11e6-977a-1030f822fc35_story.html?utm_term=.d406495b8ec7):
“I don’t see how we could go out and play without the guy who started the band [...] It would just seem like greed or something. It would seem like a desperate thing.”

Irving Azoff asked Best Classic Bands (http://osecrobotics.com/bestclassicbands/dan-fogelberg-tribute-album-interview-11-16-17/) on November 16, 2017: "What's your definition of the Eagles? Glenn's gone."

Here's ours:

It's not the Eagles without Glenn Frey.

Just an FYI ...

sodascouts
10-09-2018, 10:46 PM
I moved Arlee's post to the appropriate thread.

Dawn
10-10-2018, 04:51 PM
Relative to my question posted earlier - I seriously believe this could go on indefinitely - with or without Henley and/or TBS and Joe.

sodascouts
10-10-2018, 09:57 PM
Relative to my question posted earlier - I seriously believe this could go on indefinitely - with or without Henley and/or TBS and Joe.

It will keep going as long as the people keep paying.

If they will pay to see a band called "Eagles" without Tim, without Joe, without Don... then the "Eagles" would continue without them.

The name "Eagles" is nothing but a brand now.

10-11-2018, 12:18 PM
^ ^ ^ Yep, yep, and yep!

Dawn
10-11-2018, 02:51 PM
I also agree with all 3 of Soda's opinions.

I think it's particularly noteworthy to consider how the addition of Vince Gill has measurably influenced the brand. Much more so than Deacon Frey who while talented in his own right is by no means in the same league as Gill or any of the other members. Having said that I do think the experience Deacon is getting on this massive tour both stateside and overseas is invaluable and will serve him well regardless of whether he continues with the Eagles brand or explores other options in the industry.

WalshFan88
12-30-2018, 06:20 AM
I'll probably respond to this article in more detail tomorrow but let me say one thing clearly:

Don Henley infuriates me!

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/8031639/eagles-uk-tour-glenn-frey-band/

Just a heads up, it's not going to be taken well by those of us who don't like this new band. His comments are really irritating me right now. He's a great artist, writer, and singer, but as a person I find I like him less and less. I'm probably alone in that but he really just grinds my gears. And not just concerning 3.0 but a lot of his comments, statements, and attitudes over the years. I wouldn't want to meet the guy. :enraged:

thelastresort
12-30-2018, 08:24 AM
That third act comment gets my back up like there's no tomorrow. I agree with your sentiments, WF.

EaglesFan86
12-30-2018, 08:44 AM
When I heard that Glenn passed away at first I wasn't remembering who he was but then it registered in my brain who he was. After spending 2018 buying vinyl records of The Eagles and watching the HOTE documentary many times Glenn is the vital part of this band. While I have enjoyed hearing his son Deacon sing in concert videos posted to YouTube it just seems wrong to go on without him. As others have stated this touring will serve Deacon well no matter his endeavours I agree and do think in a way it must be healing in a way for them and while I respect Don Henley as a human being he tends to hit a nerve in me at times wth his comments not just in this article. I understand that maybe they feel it's okay to go on and they're able to do so even given their age & health issues with the additions of Vince Gill & Deacon then that's their decision whether we like it or not. Maybe this has helped Glenn's family as well. While I can see their point as a band it hurts to see this played out before my eyes. Glenn's was the first voice I heard in the car stereo in the early 90's singing about sleeping in the desert with a billion stars all around and how he had 7 women on his mind. Rather mature music for an 8-year old to hear lol but I took it all in as a kid and now I've collected these wonderful songs over a lifetime in 2018. My one regret is that I didn't see them in concert when they came near me. I remember seeing in the paper they were coming I can't remember if it was to Cincinnati or Dayton Ohio and this was before Glenn passed away. Those of you who have seen them live in concert before this new version of the band I'm sure you treasure those memories. I'm happy for you. I wish I had done so.

12-30-2018, 02:22 PM
Wow - I was truly hoping we wouldn't be hearing anything about next year's tour until a few weeks into the new year, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised at anything anymore. :sigh:

It bears repeating that I, too, have lost respect for the band members. I guess I should take solace that they say there are no plans for another album, although I find it hard to believe much of anything they say since their credibility is shot, AFAIC.

The '3rd act' comment also turned my stomach, but, that wasn't even the worst part for me. Of course, Don has to remind us that they are not doing this for the money. It's all about keeping healthy and young, and most importantly, of course ...

“It’s not about us now, it’s about the songs and staying true to Glenn’s legacy,” says Henley.

Gag me, Don! If staying true to Glenn's legacy was the top priority, you would have stayed true to yourself and gone with your gut instinct to call it quits after his death. That's what honoring a legacy is about - preserving Glenn's contributions to the band would have been much better served by acknowledging that he is irreplaceable, not by coming up with an illegitimate 3rd act that is only a shadow of its former self.

12-30-2018, 02:28 PM
BTW EF86 - I am sorry for you that you never had a chance to see the Eagles. Although it's definitely not the same as seeing them live, at least we still have CDs and DVDs. Thanks goodness for that!

And Austin - I just notice your signature and you are spot on, IMHO!

EaglesFan86
12-30-2018, 04:21 PM
BTW EF86 - I am sorry for you that you never had a chance to see the Eagles. Although it's definitely not the same as seeing them live, at least we still have CDs and DVDs. Thanks goodness for that!

ive always been a dreamer Thank you! Yes I'm thankful that we still have CDs & DVDs and memories I have of seeing them on tv as well.

sodascouts
12-30-2018, 10:08 PM
I'll probably respond to this article in more detail tomorrow but let me say one thing clearly:

Just a heads up, it's not going to be taken well by those of us who don't like this new band. His comments are really irritating me right now. He's a great artist, writer, and singer, but as a person I find I like him less and less. I'm probably alone in that but he really just grinds my gears. And not just concerning 3.0 but a lot of his comments, statements, and attitudes over the years. I wouldn't want to meet the guy. :enraged:

I have to admit, I find it upsetting to read articles where they discuss the "new band", and so I avoid them. However, I wanted to see what people were talking about, and read this one. Count me among those who are unimpressed with:

"Now, with two new band members, the Eagles have found another burst of energy. “They say in life there’s no second act but we got that when we came back in 1994 and now we’re on our third act."

As if this "two patches over the Glenn-sized hole" lineup that's allowing them to stay on the shelf a few years past their genuine "sell-by" date was some monumental new era of the band, just as important as the other two!

The author of the article adds:

"it was clear their die-hard fans were overjoyed to have them back."

Not all of us, buddy.

The author follows that statement with:

"Women, now mothers and grandmothers, got up from their seats and danced to Witchy Woman and Lyin’ Eyes, remembering that once they were city girls who could open doors with just a smile. Couples, familiar with each other after years of marriage, held hands and sang along to One Of These Nights, remembering their heady first days of romance."

Waxing poetic there. Is this an interview or a glorified ad? [PS the author apparently forgot that the city girl of "Lyin' Eyes" sold herself into a miserable marriage - hopefully those mothers and grandmothers were NOT like her.]

“We’re not doing it for the money,” laughs Henley.

Yeah, I'm laughing at that statement, too!

Nor are there plans for a new album.

I'd say I'm glad if it weren't for the fact that Henley also once said there were no plans for a "new" Eagles tour, and he was saying this even after the Classics were scheduled.... remember that? In other words, he knew full well there was a tour brewing. He was just full of crap. So we'll see.

WalshFan88
12-30-2018, 10:39 PM
Let me just say thank GOD if there is no album planned. Please bring this madness to an end. Somehow though, I think DH will change his mind, just like he did about the band being done. Or as Soda says - lie now knowing there is something in the works. The man can't be trusted or taken seriously anymore. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. There won't be a second time either. I don't buy it.

Don Henley's arrogance has gone a step too far. And I'm not very impressed with Tim and Joe either. At best, they are accomplices and complicit with this. At worst, well, you know...

The whole third act bit was rich. No, you are dancing on the grave of the man who worked hard to make the Eagles what they are. And the man who was by his side supposedly helping him is one of the dancers.

As far as the whole overjoyed fans bit, clearly he can't be that daft. There are plenty of us who have called this what it is from day one. A shameless yet shameful money grab while tarnishing the end of the band's legacy. It saddens me that the guys who are supposed to protect it are the ones ruining it. Shame on you Don Henley, Joe Walsh, Timothy B. Schmit, Vince Gill, and the others for doing this. It freaking sucks to have lost all respect for musicians you once admired. It sucks to have to associate the Eagles, my favorite band, with such a crappy thing. I still respect their talent that got them here but I don't think they have much moral fiber nor do I think they are able to have much self control when Irv Azoff is waving money in their faces. Don and Co have a lot to learn when it comes to doing the right thing. It's pretty sad actually. They're grown men.

The "not doing it for the money" part. Of course you are laughing Don when you said that. Because behind that BS chuckle you KNOW why you are doing this. And you know it was a fib, hence the laugh.

And lastly, as far as the "sit at home and rot and watch Gunsmoke reruns" bit. Grow up Don. No one is saying you had to do that. You can play solo or with the guys, but don't call it the Eagles or associate it with the band Glenn Lewis Frey worked so hard with you to create. No one is asking you to wither away and not play anymore. My hunch is that his pain isn't as bad as he says it is, and that the money makes it doable and that it ain't for his love of doing it. No matter how much I love something, I wouldn't want to spend my last years in pain and being miserable touring. I certainly wish Glenn had stopped touring before his RA got so bad that he needed the level of drugs he did to cope. It may have not changed the outcome but at least I'd feel better about him not suffering as much. I also think Don knows full well that quite a few people are unhappy. Heck, he may have even read some of the posts on the Border. But the man, while being pretty low, isn't a dummy. He is trying to justify his decision to those of us here. And I ain't buyin' it!

Brooke
12-31-2018, 03:40 PM
I have nothing to add to what you all have already said. I'm just sad that they think it's alright to go on. And I really think Irving is to blame for talking them in to it. :scowl:

OntheBorder74
12-31-2018, 10:39 PM
I agree mostly what people have written here, the fact I am not a hug fan of the HC and Long Run albums and a huge fan of the early to mid 70s albums means there is now only Henley who represents the lineup of the Eagles I love. The fact that Bernie wasnt even kept on means the decision is easy for me, I'm not giving Henley my money to see what will be closer to a tribute act. It's really sad that Randy cant Play and we've lost Glenn but Bernie should be still in Henley's good books after the HOTE tour so why not have atleast one of the other original founding members on stage with you; I guess they really weren't that close. as some have said it just means for me unless they make a record the band practically ended with Frey's death which is fine by me, I doubt an album would feel like the Eagles at this stage either though I would still be interested. Unfortunately they have such high standards it means they just end up repackaging past releases then producing anything new, it took them a couple years to get together and record backing vocals for Joe's cover of Part of the Plan for the Fogelberg tribute album

Sorry for the rambling, been a while since I talked about the Eagles, by the way...Happy New Year from London UK!

WalshFan88
01-01-2019, 02:44 AM
I have nothing to add to what you all have already said. I'm just sad that they think it's alright to go on. And I really think Irving is to blame for talking them in to it. :scowl:

Irving definitely pressured them, but IMO Don and the rest gave in all too quickly (and probably willing). Irving is definitely strong.

WalshFan88
01-01-2019, 02:48 AM
I agree mostly what people have written here, the fact I am not a hug fan of the HC and Long Run albums and a huge fan of the early to mid 70s albums means there is now only Henley who represents the lineup of the Eagles I love. The fact that Bernie wasnt even kept on means the decision is easy for me, I'm not giving Henley my money to see what will be closer to a tribute act. It's really sad that Randy cant Play and we've lost Glenn but Bernie should be still in Henley's good books after the HOTE tour so why not have atleast one of the other original founding members on stage with you; I guess they really weren't that close. as some have said it just means for me unless they make a record the band practically ended with Frey's death which is fine by me, I doubt an album would feel like the Eagles at this stage either though I would still be interested. Unfortunately they have such high standards it means they just end up repackaging past releases then producing anything new, it took them a couple years to get together and record backing vocals for Joe's cover of Part of the Plan for the Fogelberg tribute album

Sorry for the rambling, been a while since I talked about the Eagles, by the way...Happy New Year from London UK!

I don't know why they didn't have Bernie.

My guess is that maybe they DID ask Bernie but he had enough strength and moral fiber to say what we are saying - No Glenn No Eagles. They as a group or individually aren't Eagles without Glenn.

Or maybe they thought that their buddy Vince could do it all. I'd honestly rather hear Bernie play than Vince, and I'm not as much of a Bernie fan. But I really, really don't like Vince Gill.

New Kid In Town
01-01-2019, 09:22 AM
Well, I would like to say I could not have said it better then everyone has these last couple of days. I have to say I have no respect for Don and he has proven that his word is worth nothing. I have also lost a lot of respect for Tim and Joe. And, to say they are not doing this for the money is a sad joke. They must believe people actually believe them. We see through it and call it what it is - an insult to the legacy of the the group and the man who founded the group. They are nothing but a sad shadow of the Eagles and no different than any other tribute band. And, while Irving probably came up with the whole mess, Don, Joe and Tim could have said "no". I have to say for a guy who was "estranged"(his words Nov.2016 WP article) from Glenn for many years, he sure has taken advantage of him since his death. :-(

sodascouts
01-01-2019, 10:22 AM
Well, I would like to say I could not have said it better then everyone has these last couple of days. I have to say I have no respect for Don and he has proven that his word is worth nothing. I have also lost a lot of respect for Tim and Joe. And, to say they are not doing this for the money is a sad joke. They must believe people actually believe them. We see through it and call it what it is - an insult to the legacy of the the group and the man who founded the group. They are nothing but a sad shadow of the Eagles and no different than any other tribute band. And, while Irving probably came up with the whole mess, Don, Joe and Tim could have said "no". I have to say for a guy who was "estranged"(his words Nov.2016 WP article) from Glenn for many years, he sure has taken advantage of him since his death. :-(
When all this started, it was because of the Classics concerts. Before then, Don had said no Eagles without Glenn.

But when Irving needed an act to headline his Classics, Don chalked his statement up to shock, from which he had managed to emerge just in time to say yes.

At that time, Don seemed reluctant to take ownership of the decision. Even after it had been made, he would say it was "Irving's baby" and went so far as to answer "That's what they tell me" when asked if the Eagles were headlining at one point.

When all this was first happening, I was eager to blame Irving, eager to believe Don didn't really want to continue without Glenn. I had a lot of respect for Don. I read into these statements that Don's heart wasn't really in it, that he was being manipulated.

However, once it was clear that the crowd was accepting of the new band, we saw a shift in his tone. He began saying how he had gone about putting together the band in a "highly ethical manner" and that he actually believed Glenn would approve! The reason? I think it was because he no longer needed a fall guy.

I now think it was fear of rejection and low ticket sales that made him want to hang up the Eagles, and not the idea that Glenn too important for the band to continue without him. Of course he grieved for Glenn, but obviously he never really considered Glenn irreplaceable. I think he "emerged from shock" when Irving convinced him the band was still marketable.

Thus, I don't blame Irving. Yes, it's true if it weren't for him, the Eagles would probably have ended with Glenn's death. But he is not forcing anyone to do anything. Quite the contrary. I believe he simply gave Don a safe way to pursue what he really wanted.

If the shows were received poorly, Don could blame Irving for any ill will from fans, and call the Classics a special one-off to avoid the embarrassment of a failed tour. Other acts on the bill also ensured that ticket sales were not solely reliant on the Eagles (at first, one was required to buy a ticket for the entire weekend). The blanket was secure. Once Don felt like he could experiment with continuing the Eagles without risking rejection, he said yes.

And yep, the band is still marketable alright. Even Don has expressed surprise at how accepting the public has been of the band without Glenn. Those of us who consider the band illegitimate without Glenn are an astonishingly small minority, even to Henley.

Don and I are on the same page there - I'm shocked at how few of us there are, too.

I can't get over the "third act" comment. The Eagles with Glenn changed the world with their music. The "Eagles" with Vince Gill and Deacon Frey tour the world on a cash grab. Don's going to characterize them as equally significant?

WalshFan88
01-01-2019, 06:25 PM
Well said Soda.

01-02-2019, 02:20 PM
I have to agree with almost everything in Soda's post. As I've said many times, Don, Joe, and Tim are all grown men and if any one of them had been unwilling to do this, I don't believe it would have happened. The only pass I would give Joe or Tim is if they had been contractually obligated to participate, which is doubtful.

I wonder if we will ever know why Bernie didn't join them for the "third act"?

I also agree with Soda that it is ridiculous to call this the "third act" and put it on the same level as the first two. I also don't believe that their income is on the same level. Yeah - they are still selling out venues, but let's not forget, they are not playing nearly as many shows as previous tours. They are carefully choosing targeted cities where they are sure to sell tickets, but have cut back on the number of dates so that those who wish to see them have less to choose from. So, I do think there is more financial impact than we may realize. Of course, they can thinly disguise any negative impact with clever rhetoric, marketing, and higher ticket prices.

takeiteasy
01-02-2019, 04:53 PM

"I thought that was a great idea but it wasn't enough", Henley says "Glenn would be there in spirit but I told our manager, we need the blood" :fear: Just kidding...

Now seriously, my favorite Eagles are the ones of the seventies: young, handsome, on top. And then because of Glenn Frey and Don Felder, and then because of Glenn Frey and then... :sad:

WalshFan88
01-06-2019, 01:23 AM
I also agree with Soda that it is ridiculous to call this the "third act" and put it on the same level as the first two. I also don't believe that their income is on the same level. Yeah - they are still selling out venues, but let's not forget, they are not playing nearly as many shows as previous tours. They are carefully choosing targeted cities where they are sure to sell tickets, but have cut back on the number of dates so that those who wish to see them have less to choose from. So, I do think there is more financial impact than we may realize. Of course, they can thinly disguise any negative impact with clever rhetoric, marketing, and higher ticket prices.

Amen Dreamer.

Tony Trout
02-20-2019, 04:05 PM

I feel the same way about Henley, even though I didn't read the UK article. He's an egotistical, airheaded smart***, IMO, who let the almighty dollar get in the way of his friendship and respect for Glenn.

If I had been Deacon, and someone like Don would have come to me with a proposal that would make me rich for probably the rest of my life, I would have said, "HELL, NO! Especially not at the expense of the memory of my father!"

(And, I hope that everyone understands that I'm only voicing my opinion.....I've never seen the Eagles in person (both the original band before and after the breakup and reformation. If I had had a choice, I would have chose to have seen them in the mid-1990s when the original members were still there - including Felder).

(I do not look at this new bunch of guys as being "The Eagles" (even though I'm a huge VG fan, I think he should have declined the offer to join the band but....I guess his popularity in country music is dwindling since he's over 60 now).

chaim
02-20-2019, 04:50 PM
I hadn't read that interview until now. Don said the usual stuff. Again I was most disappointed by Timothy.

Question: "How difficult was it for them to get back together?"

"Song-wise and playing, it was like riding a bike,” offers Schmit.

For the first time ever Glenn wasn't there, but musically the getting back together after his death was just like riding a bicycle. No big adjustments, no big deal.

chaim
02-20-2019, 05:09 PM
Seems to me that Timothy has never even tried to be anything but indifferent about Glenn's passing in public.

WalshFan88
02-20-2019, 07:45 PM
Seems to me that Timothy has never even tried to be anything but indifferent about Glenn's passing in public.

Absolutely, chaim.

Which upsets me as when Tim joined the Eagles, Glenn went to bat for him when certain people had doubts (for those unaware, this is discussed in the HOTE doc).

I think out of all of them, I really didn't hear much out of Timothy. Again, disappointing to say the least.

But I think he was one to just go with the flow when it came to band stuff, he just showed up when he was told and that was that. I think he probably wasn't one to ruffle feathers at all. He wasn't outspoken like Glenn and Don were, or even Felder and Joe. I don't know how that translates to his public response after Glenn's passing but it's something to consider I guess. I don't think he was much for the limelight really.

Maybe he doesn't realize how that comment would come across but it's upsetting nevertheless.

chaim
02-21-2019, 03:31 AM
That theory has crossed my mind too. It's possible.

I'm used to hearing realistic and down-to-earth (in other words no phony hype) comments from Timothy. I guess I was expecting something like "there were some obvious musical challenges" instead of "like riding a bicycle" from him.

sodascouts
02-21-2019, 12:02 PM

He seemed to me to be the most keen for the Eagles to get back together. Don initially said it wouldn't happen; Joe initially said maybe they could get together as an "Eagles Friends and Family" but not tour under the Eagles moniker. In other words, both initially were reticent to go back to "business as usual" without Glenn.

All except Timothy.

Timothy wanted to go back to full-on touring as the Eagles as soon as the possibility was hinted at. I don't think he's ever been the least bit hesitant because he doesn't want anything to get in the way of it happening.

I don't think it's anything personal. I think it's simply because unlike Joe and Don, he can't make nearly as much money touring solo. He needs Eagles cash more than they do.

CAinOH
02-21-2019, 12:04 PM
He seemed to me to be the most keen for the Eagles to get back together. Don initially said it wouldn't happen; Joe initially said maybe they could get together as an "Eagles Friends and Family" but not tour under the Eagles moniker. In other words, both initially were reticent to go back to "business as usual" without Glenn.

All except Timothy.

I don't think he's every been the least bit negative because he doesn't want anything to get in the way of them going back to full-on touring as the Eagles.

I don't think it's anything personal. I think it's simply because unlike Joe and Don, he can't make nearly as much money touring solo. He needs Eagles cash more than they do.

In HOTE, when the documentary is focusing on the Travis Tritt video of "Take It Easy", Timothy is the one saying something like, "C'mon guys, let's do this." I think you have some very good points, soda. I agree with your assessment.

chaim
02-21-2019, 12:55 PM
I can understand that. And as far as I know the Eagles has always been only a job for Timothy, whereas for Don, for example, it's something much more. Or at least was.

New Kid In Town
02-21-2019, 01:35 PM
I hadn't read that interview until now. Don said the usual stuff. Again I was most disappointed by Timothy.

Question: "How difficult was it for them to get back together?"

"Song-wise and playing, it was like riding a bike,” offers Schmit.

For the first time ever Glenn wasn't there, but musically the getting back together after his death was just like riding a bicycle. No big adjustments, no big deal.

Totally agree with this. Does anyone remember the interview Tim gave in Feb.2017 that was posted here. I had commented at that time that I thought Tim's response regarding regarding Glenn's death very cold. I can not remember what he said, but I was shocked by how cold his statements were. I think Tim has always been about money no matter what the circumstances. His statement in HOTE indicates this. As others have said, he needs the money more than the others -even it means ruining the legacy of the group.

chaim
02-21-2019, 01:51 PM
I criticise Timothy, but on the other hand, if asked about it I don't think he'd have trouble admitting that he needs the income.

WalshFan88
02-21-2019, 09:47 PM
I agree with Soda. I think Tim needs the Eagles way more than the Eagles need him. And definitely more than Don or Joe needs them.

Tony Trout
02-21-2019, 10:41 PM
I agree with what everyone else has said: This "third act" (what a dumb-a** and crass comment to make, Don Henley! Shame on you! :x:thumbsdown::scowl::censored:) of the band is something that I hope I never get to see.

I've always felt that DH was and is a very egotistical and $$$-driven individual.....this proves it.

(I'm sitting here watching the HFO interviews and it just seems that Don didn't really want to even put the band back together in '94....would that be a correct assumption?)

(sorry if I'm dragging this off-topic.....:( )

UndertheWire
02-22-2019, 04:57 AM
I think Timothy deliberately detaches himself from a lot of the emotion surrounding the band. It doesn't mean that he doesn't feel or that he's only concerned with money but from the 70s onwards, he has quietly got on with the job.
He said this to say about the end of the band in an interview in February 2017:

Yeah, I have come to terms with it. I mean everything has to end anyway and I’m in a pretty good place with that.
The Eagles can’t be the Eagles without Don and Glenn in my mind so that kind of finalises it to me. I’m ok with it.

New Kid In Town
02-22-2019, 10:25 AM
Well, it didn't take him long to change his mind.

WalshFan88
02-22-2019, 10:56 PM
I agree with what everyone else has said: This "third act" (what a dumb-a** and crass comment to make, Don Henley! Shame on you! :x:thumbsdown::scowl::censored:) of the band is something that I hope I never get to see.

I've always felt that DH was and is a very egotistical and $$$-driven individual.....this proves it.

(I'm sitting here watching the HFO interviews and it just seems that Don didn't really want to even put the band back together in '94....would that be a correct assumption?)

(sorry if I'm dragging this off-topic.....:( )

TT,

I've personally heard enough about Don H's character that I don't care to ever meet the man or be in business with him or be in a band with him. Yes, he has a big ego. And yes, I also think he's very driven by money. To the point that doing the right thing (like not continuing under the Eagles banner), becomes less of an interest, and filling his already stuffed pockets becomes his main motivator. I think he's a very talented guy, fantastic singer and a great lyricist. Again, I wouldn't want to be in the same room with him though. That's just me. I don't think I'd walk away with a positive experience. I'm a fan of his music, but I really have to separate the man from the art in this case. I still listen to his solo music and of course the Eagles songs where he is singing, but I just don't care for him as a person. And it sucks to feel that way. I don't think I'd ever be comfortable paying to see him solo either. Which sucks, as I always had wanted to see him solo before this Eagles 3.0 business. But this is nothing new, he's been himself for a long time.

02-23-2019, 01:41 PM
As I've said before, I am reluctant to judge the characters of Don, Joe, and Tim since I don't know these men and don't know what is in their hearts and minds. However, as fans of these public figures, I do think we can speak to how we perceive their words and actions. While I will always respect their talent and love their music, I agree that all three of them have come across as cold and callous in the way they have dealt with reforming the band and honoring Glenn's legacy. Unfortunately, I believe they have been deceitful and unethical, which leads me to question their integrity. I'll just leave it at that.

WalshFan88
02-27-2019, 07:42 PM
To me they have been a victim of their own creation.

After awhile success, fame, and money goes to your head and it will cloud your judgment and you become jaded with a huge ego. Still doesn't excuse what they've done though.

It's either ignorance or arrogance. I'll leave it up to everyone to decide which it is.

StephUK
03-14-2019, 02:58 AM
The general sale tickets for their UK tour next summer went live this morning and it was such a strange feeling for me.

I would never have believed that the next time they rocked up here I would treat it with a mixture of indifference and contempt.

I feel the same. I hadn't even considered that they would tour outside of the US. Then I saw the Australia and Europe shows advertised.

I've been an Eagles fan for many years. The band without Glenn, is not my Eagles.

As many of you know, I claim to be Will Hollis No. 1 fan in England,, which means I had a tough decision to make. Could I pass up a chance to see him & hear him play?

Decision made. I AM NOT GOING TO ANY SHOWS IN THE UK, IRELAND OR MAINLAND EUROPE.

I'm VERY sad about not seeing Will, but I just don't want to see the band without Glenn.I don't want to spoil my Eagles memories.

MarthaJo56
03-14-2019, 03:35 AM
Totally agree with this. Does anyone remember the interview Tim gave in Feb.2017 that was posted here. I had commented at that time that I thought Tim's response regarding regarding Glenn's death very cold. I can not remember what he said, but I was shocked by how cold his statements were. I think Tim has always been about money no matter what the circumstances. His statement in HOTE indicates this. As others have said, he needs the money more than the others -even it means ruining the legacy of the group.

Remember, everyone grieves in their own way. Maybe Tim was numb, maybe that's how he grieves, maybe he was still in a state of disbelief.
I don't grieve well. I never know what to say to others and when it's my own grief, I'm just numb, and I only cry when I'm alone, or when something reminds me of the person. My brother died a couple of years ago, but I still occasionally, just tonight as a matter of fact, have questions or things I want to tell him.
I don't think the current configuration of the Eagles is going to stay. There won't be an album, there won't be new songs. This is a farewell to Glenn. They all need it. And honestly, so do a lot of fans.

WalshFan88
03-14-2019, 04:26 AM
I feel the same. I hadn't even considered that they would tour outside of the US. Then I saw the Australia and Europe shows advertised.

I've been an Eagles fan for many years. The band without Glenn, is not my Eagles.

As many of you know, I claim to be Will Hollis No. 1 fan in England,, which means I had a tough decision to make. Could I pass up a chance to see him & hear him play?

Decision made. I AM NOT GOING TO ANY SHOWS IN THE UK, IRELAND OR MAINLAND EUROPE.

I'm VERY sad about not seeing Will, but I just don't want to see the band without Glenn.I don't want to spoil my Eagles memories.

I'm with you all the way Steph!

WalshFan88
03-14-2019, 04:32 AM
Remember, everyone grieves in their own way. Maybe Tim was numb, maybe that's how he grieves, maybe he was still in a state of disbelief.
I don't grieve well. I never know what to say to others and when it's my own grief, I'm just numb, and I only cry when I'm alone, or when something reminds me of the person. My brother died a couple of years ago, but I still occasionally, just tonight as a matter of fact, have questions or things I want to tell him.
I don't think the current configuration of the Eagles is going to stay. There won't be an album, there won't be new songs. This is a farewell to Glenn. They all need it. And honestly, so do a lot of fans.

I don't see them touring right now as a farewell to Glenn at all. In fact they really never did a proper tribute concert in my mind. I feel it's another shameless money grab. Once Henley went back on his word I lost all respect for him and I trust him about as far as I can throw him. I'm not convinced that they won't try to do a new album. I think anything is possible at this point after what has already transpired. I hope they don't do an album. It's not the Eagles. I really do think they will keep touring for the foreseeable future. I think they will do what they can to keep the "Eagles" name alive, just so they can continue profit from it.

Just a heads up, this thread is only for those against them continuing so you will likely not find anyone who is positive towards the current band. The "looks like the band" thread is more for this kind of debate between the two camps of those for and against the band touring still. This thread is for those against them continuing on. There is also positive-only threads like concert review threads and the Guests section.

chaim
03-14-2019, 11:51 AM
There's no way I can see this as a tribute to Glenn. "I always thought I'd make a good Eagle", for example. A lovely tribute to Glenn.

WalshFan88
03-14-2019, 06:06 PM
There's no way I can see this as a tribute to Glenn. "I always thought I'd make a good Eagle", for example. A lovely tribute to Glenn.

That line pissed me right off when I first read it and I still see fumes coming out of my head when I think about it. I don't care if Gill is the 'nicest guy in the business' or is wickedly talented on guitar or has the voice of an angel or how many Grammys he may have won. That's a moot point now. So people can make comments in Vince's favor all they want to justify it but they can save their breath when it comes to me.

You don't say that after their leader has just died, someone that was supposedly your 'friend'. Talk about insensitive at best, and heartless at worst. Way too eager to take over Frey's role. I don't care if you do love the band or think it's up your alley, you don't make that comment. He was way too giddy to stand in his shoes. I'm sorry Vince, but you couldn't fill Glenn's shoes if you put your whole body in them. Ugh...

Arlee
03-14-2019, 08:36 PM
Some of you have taken a negative view of Schmit over a quote that you took out of context by missing the fact that he was referring to the HFO era.

"But radio stations played the band’s songs, keeping the music alive, and in 1994 the Eagles reunited for a Hell Freezes Over tour and album.

How difficult was it for them to get back together? “Song-wise and playing, it was like riding a bike,” offers Schmit.

“Learning how to deal with one another again, that required a bit of work,” says Henley diplomatically. “But even though there is conflict and tension in a group relationship, there’s also comfort in the fact that all the weight is not on any one person’s shoulders.

“We were all ready to share the burdens and the joys again at that point.”

WalshFan88
03-15-2019, 12:55 AM
Hopefully Soda or Dreamer will move these newest posts to the appropriate thread (Looks like the band...). This thread is for those against 3.0.

StephUK
03-15-2019, 02:05 AM
Hopefully Soda or Dreamer will move these newest posts to the appropriate thread (Looks like the band...). This thread is for those against 3.0.

My post seems to fall into both topics, but should probably be moved as it's mainly about the European leg of the tour.

WalshFan88
03-15-2019, 02:27 AM
My post seems to fall into both topics, but should probably be moved as it's mainly about the European leg of the tour.

Your post to me was fine Steph for this thread. But I think it fits in both topics equally well. And you get the jist of our message and aren't for the "Eagles" continuance.

I'm mostly referring to the two comments by MarthaJo and by Arlee regarding the comments the anti-3.0 posters have made that pro-3.0 people have responded to in this thread, probably without realizing this is the anti-3.0 thread for those against them continuing on and not the debate thread for both sides. I feel they are a better fit for the other "looks like the band" thread. Just my personal take on the matter.

chaim
03-15-2019, 03:13 AM
I was mistaken, if Timothy's bicycle comment was referring to the HFO era. I wasn't taking it out of context intentionally. But I didn't "form a negative view of Timothy" based on that. I said "AGAIN I was most disappointed by Timothy". I found some of his earlier comments a bit cold.

Arlee
03-16-2019, 06:03 AM
Your post to me was fine Steph for this thread. But I think it fits in both topics equally well. And you get the jist of our message and aren't for the "Eagles" continuance.

I'm mostly referring to the two comments by MarthaJo and by Arlee regarding the comments the anti-3.0 posters have made that pro-3.0 people have responded to in this thread, probably without realizing this is the anti-3.0 thread for those against them continuing on and not the debate thread for both sides. I feel they are a better fit for the other "looks like the band" thread. Just my personal take on the matter.

No. There is nothing in my post about being pro or anti anything. It is addressing something specific in this thread that's been mentioned a few times that happens to be wrong.

Some folks thought Schmit was referring to the current line up. He was not. Period.

To take that corrective post away would amount to intentionally covering up a fact in order to continue the false belief that Schmit said something offensive, which he did not.

Arlee
03-16-2019, 06:23 AM
I was mistaken, if Timothy's bicycle comment was referring to the HFO era. I wasn't taking it out of context intentionally. But I didn't "form a negative view of Timothy" based on that. I said "AGAIN I was most disappointed by Timothy". I found some of his earlier comments a bit cold.

I did not specify who said what here. I don't know who said what. I just know that more than a couple people took the quote in reference to the current line up.

I did not indicate in any way that Schmit's quote was taken out of context on purpose.

So no need for you to explain yourself. Especially about specifying "negative view" vs. "disappointed by." (Besides, disappointment IS a negative.)

My only point is that Schmit's comment was not about the current line up.

chaim
03-16-2019, 07:57 AM
MY point was that I was genuinely mistaken and I stand corrected. I browsed through the artcile too quickly.

I also said that I didn't form a negative view of Timothy based on that one quote. If I have a negative view of him, I had it already.

I was the one who brought up that quote, so I chose to comment, because I was misleading people.

chaim
03-16-2019, 07:59 AM
AND it was right from Arlee to correct me/us.

chaim
03-16-2019, 08:15 AM
Gotta add, referring to Arlee's reply to me, that being disappointed in someone's words or actions IMHO doesn't mean that one has a negative view of him/her. You can be disappointed in someone you actually respect.

New Kid In Town
03-16-2019, 09:32 AM
Some of you have taken a negative view of Schmit over a quote that you took out of context by missing the fact that he was referring to the HFO era.

"But radio stations played the band’s songs, keeping the music alive, and in 1994 the Eagles reunited for a Hell Freezes Over tour and album.

How difficult was it for them to get back together? “Song-wise and playing, it was like riding a bike,” offers Schmit.

“Learning how to deal with one another again, that required a bit of work,” says Henley diplomatically. “But even though there is conflict and tension in a group relationship, there’s also comfort in the fact that all the weight is not on any one person’s shoulders.

“We were all ready to share the burdens and the joys again at that point.”

I was not talking about an interview referring to HFO. I was talking about an interview Tim gave in February 2017 after Glenn's passing. That interview had nothing to do with HFO. I did not take anything out of contex regarding THAT interview.

chaim
03-16-2019, 10:25 AM
I was not talking about an interview referring to HFO. I was talking about an interview Tim gave in February 2017 after Glenn's passing. That interview had nothing to do with HFO. I did not take anything out of contex regarding THAT interview.

No, it was about the "like a bicycle" quote from Timothy that I brought up, which I was mistaken about.

03-16-2019, 12:04 PM

Steph - I'm totally with you too ... the band without Glenn is not my Eagles either. I am sorry you won't get to see Will, though. Maybe Henley will do a solo tour and you will be able to see him then. Although I do still miss going to Eagles shows, honestly, at this point, I am content with watching my DVDs or YouTube whenever I feel the urge to see the Eagles perform. It's like dealing with all losses - it gets a little easier with the passage of time. Having said that, there is not a day that goes by that I don't still miss Glenn, and seeing the band perform without him would only open up new wounds for me. Not gonna ever happen for me - period!

03-16-2019, 12:15 PM
I think the posts in the thread are fine to leave here. But, I will second what Austin said about this thread not being a debate thread. As a reminder, there is absolutely no problem with anyone disagreeing with those of us who are opposed to the current lineup. However, those types of post should be in the other thread that Austin mentioned. Per the title of this thread, it is exclusively "for those saying Glenn Frey is necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles".

WalshFan88
03-16-2019, 02:53 PM
I think the posts in the thread are fine to leave here. But, I will second what Austin said about this thread not being a debate thread. As a reminder, there is absolutely no problem with anyone disagreeing with those of us who are opposed to the current lineup. However, those types of post should be in the other thread that Austin mentioned. Per the title of this thread, it is exclusively "for those saying Glenn Frey is necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles".

Thank you Dreamer.

I think some forget which thread is for which purpose.

WalshFan88
03-16-2019, 02:59 PM
No. There is nothing in my post about being pro or anti anything. It is addressing something specific in this thread that's been mentioned a few times that happens to be wrong.

Some folks thought Schmit was referring to the current line up. He was not. Period.

To take that corrective post away would amount to intentionally covering up a fact in order to continue the false belief that Schmit said something offensive, which he did not.

I realize that, but this is the thread for anti-3.0 posts only.

For the record, the riding a bicycle may have been misquoted or misunderstood, but that doesn't change my mind on TBS. He has made other equally offensive comments regarding the band moving on. So this "bicycle" misquote has nothing to do with my views on him at all. So you can rest easy knowing that I didn't form my "negative view" just based on that one comment. I have a real negative view of all of them.

chaim
03-16-2019, 03:02 PM
Yeah, I didn't form any opinion based on that either, but IMO correcting me was the right thing to do.

WalshFan88
03-16-2019, 03:13 PM
Yeah, I didn't form any opinion based on that either, but IMO correcting me was the right thing to do.

Sure, I get it.

I guess I just like the having this space to talk about anti-3.0 stuff without our posts being challenged by the pro-3.0 side (which is more appropriate for the "looks like the band" thread).

Arlee
03-16-2019, 06:47 PM
Just want to be clear I wasn't singling anyone out. I read through the posts and saw the "bicycle quote" mentioned more than once and I didn't keep track of who said what.

My only point was to correct the misunderstanding of the quote. Because if Schmit had been referring to the new line up, I agree that would be sad, and as Chaim said, disappointing.

I get that some of the things they've said over the years can be disappointing and stick with us.😞

As for other things that Schmit said, I'm not aware of.

Arlee
03-16-2019, 07:00 PM
Sure, I get it.

I guess I just like the having this space to talk about anti-3.0 stuff without our posts being challenged by the pro-3.0 side (which is more appropriate for the "looks like the band" thread).

I understand. A few months back i came into this thread without correctly comprehending the title (I thought it was addressing anti- new line-up folks as a form of debate) and my post was moved.

And this time I accidently came back to this thread when I was doing a general Google search and this thread was one of the results.(I think I was searching for Schmit quotes or something. I'm not sure. I'm always doing weird random Eagles searches.:grin:)

So anyway, that's when I saw how his quote was being interpreted and I wanted to correct that. Because it would've bothered me too.

WalshFan88
03-16-2019, 09:31 PM
Just want to be clear I wasn't singling anyone out. I read through the posts and saw the "bicycle quote" mentioned more than once and I didn't keep track of who said what.

My only point was to correct the misunderstanding of the quote. Because if Schmit had been referring to the new line up, I agree that would be sad, and as Chaim said, disappointing.

I get that some of the things they've said over the years can be disappointing and stick with us.😞

As for other things that Schmit said, I'm not aware of.

Fair enough.

sodascouts
03-18-2019, 11:40 PM
For me, it's so very simple, and it always will be.

Objective fact: Glenn Frey is gone. His days have ended.

To me, there will never be another conclusion that can be drawn from that fact than this: the Eagles have ended as well.

No subjective ideas anyone throws at me will move me from that conclusion, as it is based on a rather straightforward fundamental premise:

No Glenn = No Eagles.

Period.

Brooke
03-19-2019, 01:13 PM
Amen to that Soda.

WalshFan88
03-20-2019, 12:23 AM
Amen.

chaim
03-20-2019, 08:22 AM
Well, there's no Eagles for me either, but still I should get my facts straight. :)
Incidentally, why are my posts deleted immidiately when I try to edit them.

03-20-2019, 08:31 PM
Well, I, obviously, agree with Soda's post as well.

sodascouts
03-27-2019, 03:16 PM
This was brought up in the "Randy in the Press thread" - it's from a recent interview with Vince Gill (https://www.stltoday.com/entertainment/music/vince-gill-s-timely-forever-changed-uncovers-tough-topics/article_53a4e826-004f-5cb5-9ec8-20065b55f2a7.html).

Vince states: “I don’t have any false illusions that I’m going to sing something better than Glenn or better than (former Eagles bassist) Randy (Meisner),” he says, adding with a laugh, “There are still people who are mad that (Meisner) isn’t in the band, and he’s been gone for 40 years!”

At first glance, I was pleased he was saying that he wasn't going to sing anything better than Glenn (and Randy). However, I was turned off by what he "add[ed] with a laugh" - his flippant attitude about people who are "mad" that Randy isn't in the band anymore, and the implied equivalency between those fans and the fans who are "mad" about that the band carries on without Glenn.

Had to go and spoil it, didn't you, Vince.

chaim
03-27-2019, 04:10 PM
Did I get it right, is he saying that some people are mad at him for being there, but there are also people mad at Randy for not being there? Randy's playing and singing can be heard on the first five albums, while Vince has toured with them recently singing songs originally sung by Glenn and Randy. How can Vince and Randy be compared in ANY way in the Eagles context? Unless my interpretation is incorrect, that is some hilarious stuff right there.

WalshFan88
03-27-2019, 06:45 PM
OMG. Vince needs to stop while he's ahead. He really just needs to stop doing interviews. So much for being a nice guy, huh?

I'm sorry Vince but you aren't an Eagle. Never will be (contrary to what 3.0 supporters think and what's on the marquee), he's not an Eagle.

Comparing his singing in place of Glenn to Randy Meisner's absence in place of Timothy was lame.

I'm sorry and I certainly don't mean to offend Randy fans here but he was not at the same level of importance to the band as Glenn was. There was an Eagles without Bernie, Randy, and Felder and that is ok - but you can't take out the most important guy to the band (at the very least, one of the two most important depending on your perspective, mine is that Glenn was most important IMO), and expect it to be treated along the same level as the other three. That was one of the worst comparisons I've ever heard someone try to make to justify their wrongdoing. That was a pathetic attempt. Vince just needs to shut up and sing.

03-27-2019, 10:28 PM
“I don’t have any false illusions that I’m going to sing something better than Glenn or better than (former Eagles bassist) Randy (Meisner),” he says, adding with a laugh, “There are still people who are mad that (Meisner) isn’t in the band, and he’s been gone for 40 years!”

Wow - I'm sitting here reading this and just shaking my head. Yeah - there's no comparison to be made here on any level. Vince if you think people are still mad 40 years after Randy's departure - just think how many fans feel about the band's effort to replace someone that they believe is irreplacable. Are we mad - you damn right we are - luckily, you don't see our wrath because we're not in the audience.

And on another note, chaim, glad you got your deleted posts issue straightened out. Just in case others may be experiencing a similar problem, I moved the posts that deal with the issue to the board issues thread where members are more likely to see it.

chaim
03-28-2019, 03:35 AM
I'm sure I don't miss much, but I can't get to see the interview in Finland.

sodascouts
03-28-2019, 10:49 AM
I'm sure I don't miss much, but I can't get to see the interview in Finland.

Here's the larger context of the quote (the rest of the article is about his solo stuff):

-----------------------

Gill, who in concert sang Eagles classics including “New Kid in Town,” “Lyin’ Eyes” and “Take It to the Limit,” had expected some backlash from diehard Eagles fans, but he had to let what little came his way roll off his back.

“I don’t have any false illusions that I’m going to sing something better than Glenn or better than (former Eagles bassist) Randy (Meisner),” he says, adding with a laugh, “There are still people who are mad that (Meisner) isn’t in the band, and he’s been gone for 40 years!”

As it turns out, Gill’s high, honeyed tenor voice was just what the Eagles needed. And while his guitar playing is almost as renowned as his singing, he hasn’t been called on much to solo with the Eagles, who already have guitar aces Joe Walsh and Steuart Smith in the lineup.

“They don’t need one more shredding guitar player,” Gill admits. “The songs don’t all have that much solo-minded stuff in them, and the ones that do have these specific, iconic, memorable, well-thought-out guitar parts that are already taken. Just because I can play doesn’t mean that I need to.”

---------------------

UGH to he "expected some backlash from diehard Eagles fans, but he had to let what little came his way roll off his back." Well, I'm not surprised. If he were bothered by the feelings of fans who thought this was wrong, he wouldn't be doing this. He has to dismiss us to sleep at night.

Well, so be it. I never cared all that much about Vince Gill, so the fact that he has not lived up to his reputation doesn't really affect me all that much.

CAinOH
03-28-2019, 12:53 PM
UGH to he "expected some backlash from diehard Eagles fans, but he had to let what little came his way roll off his back." Well, I'm not surprised. If he were bothered by the feelings of fans who thought this was wrong, he wouldn't be doing this. He has to dismiss us to sleep at night.

Well, so be it. I never cared all that much about Vince Gill, so the fact that he has not lived up to his reputation doesn't really affect me all that much.

Exactly! Again... #NoGlennNoEagles

https://content.screencast.com/users/cheryl7821/folders/Default/media/c709c19d-fc73-44ea-bd39-0cccb1b215bb/NoGlennNoEagles.jpg

chaim
03-28-2019, 02:36 PM
Thanks for that snippet, Soda. At least he understands that the Eagles music doesn't need his guitar playing, no matter how good he is.

WalshFan88
03-28-2019, 07:25 PM
Here's the larger context of the quote (the rest of the article is about his solo stuff):

-----------------------

Gill, who in concert sang Eagles classics including “New Kid in Town,” “Lyin’ Eyes” and “Take It to the Limit,” had expected some backlash from diehard Eagles fans, but he had to let what little came his way roll off his back.

As it turns out, Gill’s high, honeyed tenor voice was just what the Eagles needed. And while his guitar playing is almost as renowned as his singing, he hasn’t been called on much to solo with the Eagles, who already have guitar aces Joe Walsh and Steuart Smith in the lineup.

“They don’t need one more shredding guitar player,” Gill admits. “The songs don’t all have that much solo-minded stuff in them, and the ones that do have these specific, iconic, memorable, well-thought-out guitar parts that are already taken. Just because I can play doesn’t mean that I need to.”

---------------------

I never cared much about him either, it's all of the people who do hold that view that his reputation is that of "the nicest guy in the business". But if I was a Vince fan I'd have plenty to be disappointed with.

I'd have to disagree with him about the so called lack of guitar solo oriented stuff. Most of the stuff from OTB forward was guitar heavy, so much so I'd consider them a guitar oriented band. But I agree with him that those parts are iconic, and I agree he has no business playing them. I think he's more of a Bernie type guitarist anyway and a lot of that music is very classic rock oriented and needs that style to be right.

sodascouts
03-30-2019, 01:21 PM
I never cared much about him either, it's all of the people who do hold that view that his reputation is that of "the nicest guy in the business". But if I was a Vince fan I'd have plenty to be disappointed with.

I'd have to disagree with him about the so called lack of guitar solo oriented stuff. Most of the stuff from OTB forward was guitar heavy, so much so I'd consider them a guitar oriented band. But I agree with him that those parts are iconic, and I agree he has no business playing them. I think he's more of a Bernie type guitarist anyway and a lot of that music is very classic rock oriented and needs that style to be right.

I think he's a nice guy in other areas who was blinded by what he wanted so badly - to be an Eagle - that he's shoved any and all moral considerations that would have interfered with fulfilling that desire aside.

A nice man corrupted by his desires. Whether it's sex, money, or something else, it's an age old story.

WalshFan88
04-22-2019, 09:00 PM
I think he's a nice guy in other areas who was blinded by what he wanted so badly - to be an Eagle - that he's shoved any and all moral considerations that would have interfered with fulfilling that desire aside.

A nice man corrupted by his desires. Whether it's sex, money, or something else, it's an age old story.

Exactly, soda!

StephUK
04-23-2019, 06:53 PM
Exactly! Again... #NoGlennNoEagles

https://content.screencast.com/users/cheryl7821/folders/Default/media/c709c19d-fc73-44ea-bd39-0cccb1b215bb/NoGlennNoEagles.jpg

:applause::thumbsup:

StephUK
04-23-2019, 06:58 PM
[QUOTE=WalshFan88;384261

I'm sorry Vince but you aren't an Eagle. Never will be (contrary to what 3.0 supporters think and what's on the marquee), he's not an Eagle.[/QUOTE]

I couldn't agree more.

WalshFan88
04-24-2019, 04:15 PM
I couldn't agree more.

He's just not deserving of that title. To use a Timothy phrase, he wasn't in the trenches with this band. He did nothing to help them to success. He wasn't there. He's simply a salaried sideman in this band now. And the same goes for Deacon.

05-10-2019, 11:10 PM
pippin recently posted an interview that Don, Joe, Timothy, and Deacon did in Australia over in the Eagles You Tube thread. As usual, Don feels compelled to justify the band's continued existence. Here's a quote ...

Glenn will always be missed. We’re not replacing Glenn. Glenn is not replaceable. We don’t pretend it’s the same band. But it’s the songs that matter.

No, Don, by definition, you have replaced the irreplaceable Glenn - talking out of both sides of your mouth won't persuade your detractors. But maybe, by repeating the same spiel over and over, it helps you feel good about your decision. And, yes, Don, by calling this band Eagles, you are pretending it is the same band and you are reaping the financial gain that only that name can deliver. And if it's just the songs that matter, why don't you lower your prices so that all of the fans that want to hear them can afford to do so. Same ole BS!

WalshFan88
05-11-2019, 06:04 AM
pippin recently posted an interview that Don, Joe, Timothy, and Deacon did in Australia over in the Eagles You Tube thread. As usual, Don feels compelled to justify the band's continued existence. Here's a quote ...

No, Don, by definition, you have replaced the irreplaceable Glenn - talking out of both sides of your mouth won't persuade your detractors. But maybe, by repeating the same spiel over and over, it helps you feel good about your decision. And, yes, Don, by calling this band Eagles, you are pretending it is the same band and you are reaping the financial gain that only that name can deliver. And if it's just the songs that matter, why don't you lower your prices so that all of the fans that want to hear them can afford to do so. Same ole BS!

Same old BS is right. He sure is hypocritical these days. I personally think for someone who doesn't pull any punches in being upset by or put off by other people for anything and everything, he is quite imperfect himself. To me I can only take so much of Don's preachiness before I have to listen to something else. To me he needs to start by looking in the mirror. To use a Glenn term - he needs to do some soul searchin'!

chaim
05-11-2019, 06:56 AM
Yes, Don is right, it's not the same band. So a different name would be nice. After all, it's the songs that matter, like Don said again.

sodascouts
05-11-2019, 02:54 PM
Yes, Don is right, it's not the same band. So a different name would be nice. After all, it's the songs that matter, like Don said again.

Exactly.

Brooke
05-13-2019, 01:48 PM
Amen, amen, amen!

sodascouts
06-20-2019, 02:05 PM
Well if we go by Don's own words, he gave an interview with the Washington Post in Nov.2016 - right before the KCH. At that time he stated he and Glenn had been "estranged" for many years. I do not think they were friends. Jackson stated the same in the interview. But, I do feel Glenn's death did affect him(and Joe & Tim) deeply. Just not enough to pack it in. JMHO.

I think he was very upset by Glenn's death. Even if they were estranged, they had shared quite a bit of history, and were very close at one time. I realize I can't know what he felt, but still, considering all of that... surely he would have felt the loss intensely.

However, yes, he obviously wasn't upset enough to hang it up, or to resist all that money. That would have required him to be truly devastated.

But I never expected him to end the Eagles based solely on an emotional connection to Glenn; I also thought there would be loyalty and artistic integrity involved as well.

New Kid In Town
06-20-2019, 02:22 PM
I think he was very upset by Glenn's death. Even if they were estranged, they had shared quite a bit of history, and were very close at one time. I realize I can't know what he felt, but still, considering all of that... surely he would have felt the loss intensely.
However, yes, he obviously wasn't upset enough to hang it up, or to resist all that money. That would have required him to be truly devastated.

Originally Posted by New Kid In Town https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?p=386289#post386289)
Part of what I said - But, I do feel Glenn's death did affect him(and Joe & Tim) deeply. Just not enough to pack it in. JMHO.

I also think he/they were very upset/devastated by Glenn's death and I said that. I did not mean to imply it did not affect them. I hope it did not sound like that.

sodascouts
06-20-2019, 02:31 PM
Originally Posted by New Kid In Town https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?p=386289#post386289)
Part of what I said - But, I do feel Glenn's death did affect him(and Joe & Tim) deeply. Just not enough to pack it in. JMHO.

I also think he/they were very upset/devastated by Glenn's death and I said that. I did not mean to imply it did not affect them. I hope it did not sound like that.

I agree with you.

I guess a lot of my post does seem rather redundant.

WalshFan88
06-20-2019, 04:13 PM
While I think they were probably upset by his death, to me, they didn't seem too upset. I think I can believe Joe's sorrow more than Don's at this point. I think Joe and Glenn were close. I just can't believe that Don was that deeply affected by it by his behavior and comments after his death. I agree with NKIT, they weren't really all that close at the end. It was a business relationship, not a friendship or brotherly thing. I think while Don was upset, he wasn't so upset as to turn down the money and didn't feel he was essential (which he IS). That bothers me, but we all know that by now. It's just very disappointing to me.

MacRL
06-20-2019, 05:54 PM
Additionally:

The board changed when Glenn died because everything changed when Glenn died; the Eagles ended.

I can't just go back to "business as usual." Move Glenn to "former Eagles." Replace the banner including Glenn with one including Vince Gill and Deacon. Gush about all the wonderful new "Eagles" shows in the review threads and eventually, let all the reviews including Glenn fall further away.... page 2, page 3... Put on a happy face.

Other people can feel free to celebrate this "Eagles" but I won't be joining in. I'm tired of being told I have to.

It is the way it is.

Think of it this way, if you could add 2 guys to play with Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr could you call that band the Beatles ?

06-20-2019, 06:25 PM
Think of it this way, if you could add 2 guys to play with Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr could you call that band the Beatles ?

NOT EVEN!

WalshFan88
09-23-2019, 06:17 PM
I present you - the Eagles! ;)

https://i.ibb.co/SvyMQhD/8-DFC3-B22-87-E3-47-DF-B24-E-CB33-E7-A1-EA6-F.jpg

scottside
09-23-2019, 10:27 PM
That is just too funny!!!

Glennsallnighter
09-25-2019, 06:06 AM
Thats brilliant!! I love it

WalshFan88
09-25-2019, 10:46 PM
LOL, thank you both.

I thought it was not only hilarious but also kinda true and just bringing home the fact there is no Eagles without it's co-founder (although I'd argue that Glenn asked Don to start a band with him) and leader.

I saw it on FB and I just had to share it in this thread.

WalshFan88
02-14-2020, 09:53 PM
And the "Eagles" are back out on another tour with Deacon. And I'm so shocked...not! I'm really starting to think this is just a bad dream or something, it's like a wart that just won't go away no matter how much you spray it or cut it out. It just keeps coming back for more. Frustrating, yes. Annoying, sure. But even more than that - maddening. I keep trying to pinch myself, only to find that it's actually happening.

As far as I'm concerned - if Henley or Azoff told me that my house was on fire, I wouldn't even go check. He's proven himself to be untrustworthy in almost every regard. The little boy who cried wolf is done.

The fact that this "experiment" of a 3.0 band is still touring in 2020 is just unfathomable and really icky to me. Even ickier is how they keep trying to tell people that it's over, come see us before we stop. I don't put the blame with the concertgoers, just like I don't put the blame with the person who is being taken advantage of. I put the blame with the offender. Henley and Co. just have no limits on what they will do for $.

I just cannot believe people are still going to this show, often the same people over and over. It's not the Eagles. Enjoy it, by all means. But there is no Eagles without the VIP - Mr. Glenn Lewis Frey!

02-15-2020, 12:43 PM
Austin, it goes without saying that I'm another one that dreads these tours. How ironic it is that I used to be ecstatic when the band toured and now I just get depressed thinking about this faux version out on the road.

And not only was Glenn the VIP, but IMHO, he was the MVP ... which makes him irreplaceable.

CAinOH
02-15-2020, 01:22 PM
From what I have heard, there is no introduction of the band members except for Vince Gill and Deacon (by Don). How much was Glenn the heart, the leader of the Eagles?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUiRpJm0rlw

02-15-2020, 01:45 PM
Thanks for finding that, CA. It is priceless - I always used to so look forward to Glenn's band intros. They used to be a highlight of the shows, which is why they probably skip them now. The only thing that would be highlighted now is that out of all the musicians on the stage, there is only one original member of the band there and only 1/2 of the main creative forces of the band's catalog. Not to mention, of course, that, on this Hotel California tour, there are only two members from that lineup on the stage. Oh well, so much for the band's authenticity and legitimacy that Glenn always tried so hard to preserve.

sodascouts
02-15-2020, 07:10 PM
Ah, yes, the Hotel California celebration tour with only two members of the Hotel California line up. I wonder - do they ever feel even one iota of shame about it? Or have their hearts become completely hardened?

WalshFan88
02-15-2020, 09:00 PM
Austin, it goes without saying that I'm another one that dreads these tours. How ironic it is that I used to be ecstatic when the band toured and now I just get depressed thinking about this faux version out on the road.

And not only was Glenn the VIP, but IMHO, he was the MVP ... which makes him irreplaceable.

Agreed Dreamer.

I think I actually meant to type MVP, but typed VIP as I couldn't remember the right acronym at the time.

I think it's just so sad and it's more than disappointing.

WalshFan88
02-15-2020, 09:02 PM
From what I have heard, there is no introduction of the band members except for Vince Gill and Deacon (by Don). How much was Glenn the heart, the leader of the Eagles?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUiRpJm0rlw

I think Don's ego is far too large to acknowledge anyone but himself and his two partners in crime - Vince and Deacon.

Or maybe he'd just rather save that time to do another of his own songs.

I loved Glenn's introductions. Not only were they done, but they were always funny and you could tell he was sincere about it.

WalshFan88
02-15-2020, 09:05 PM
I agree, Soda and Dreamer.

To me it's fradulence. Maybe not legally, but it is absolutely a sham and needs to be called out as such.

New Kid In Town
02-15-2020, 11:48 PM
Thanks for finding that, CA. It is priceless - I always used to so look forward to Glenn's band intros. They used to be a highlight of the shows, which is why they probably skip them now. The only thing that would be highlighted now is that out of all the musicians on the stage, there is only one original member of the band there and only 1/2 of the main creative forces of the band's catalog. Not to mention, of course, that, on this Hotel California tour, there are only two members from that lineup on the stage. Oh well, so much for the band's authenticity and legitimacy that Glenn always tried so hard to preserve.

I always loved those intros by Glenn. I still can't believe they are doing a salute to the HC with only two guys who were on the album. :depressed: Don's experiment has now been going since Classic West. I never dreamed it would last this long. :cry:

WalshFan88
02-16-2020, 01:01 AM
I always loved those intros by Glenn. I still can't believe they are doing a salute to the HC with only two guys who were on the album. :depressed: Don's experiment has now been going since Classic West. I never dreamed it would last this long. :cry:

Me neither.

TBH, I'm kind of disappointed that people are still supporting this sort of thing after all this time and a lot of them are repeat goers. And there are some who post reviews on other sites where they have the gall to claim that the show was better without Glenn when compared to the show they saw with him! That, I will make no apologies for saying is terrible and they should be ashamed of themselves and I don't care how they may see it nor will I apologize. Go if you must, but never to put Glenn down, even unintentionally. That's unacceptable behavior and is just in such poor taste, even in 2020. It doesn't matter. IMO, Glenn was the Eagles, to a large degree. Vince Gill and Deacon Frey don't come close to even filling one man's shoes. But in their defense, Glenn's shoes are unfillable. There will never be a better singer, frontman, and leader than Glenn Frey in the Eagles. Even Don, while they would usually approach it from a team, would play second fiddle to Glenn if that's what Glenn wanted. His gentle yet firm command of his band was admirable.

They'll keep going as long as their IMO bad behavior, is being rewarded by $. Even if they come out in wheelchairs with oxygen bottles, they'll still do it to just keep scraping that barrel for some more cash and Don gets to run the band how he sees fit without having to compromise with Glenn. He can let his already large ego take over. And Joe Walsh, Timothy B. Schmit, Vince Gill, Deacon Frey, etc all get to be "yes men".

chaim
02-17-2020, 02:32 PM
Seeing that clip of Glenn doing those band intros weirdly enough made me happy and sad at the same time. It literally gave me shivers - remembering what it used to be like - and made me sad - because of what the "band" is now.

WalshFan88
07-01-2020, 04:39 PM
The fake Eagles are going to be releasing a concert DVD in October but you can watch it on ESPN Sunday. I’m more likely to watch paint dry. Ugh!

https://espnpressroom.com/us/press-releases/2020/07/espn-to-air-eagles-live-from-the-forum-mmxviii-on-sunday-night-july-5/amp/

scottside
07-01-2020, 05:44 PM
The fake Eagles are going to be releasing a concert DVD in October but you can watch it on ESPN Sunday. I’m more likely to watch paint dry. Ugh!

https://espnpressroom.com/us/press-releases/2020/07/espn-to-air-eagles-live-from-the-forum-mmxviii-on-sunday-night-july-5/amp/

I am not surprised at all about this, but I would've guessed it would make more sense for them to use the recent shows featuring the whole HOTEL CALIFORNIA album than something that is now two years old now. I won't buy it out of principal, but if I could see it for free, I might give it a watch.

07-01-2020, 06:08 PM
This just makes me wanna puke! :puke:

Of course, everyone is free to do as they wish, but you couldn't pay me to watch this. Not even remotely interested!

WalshFan88
07-01-2020, 06:19 PM
This just makes me wanna puke! :puke:

Of course, everyone is free to do as they wish, but you couldn't pay me to watch this. Not even remotely interested!

It's just disgusting.

Hey Don and Co - how about some HOTE or LROOE material like we've been asking for, for YEARS now. You now, the ones that feature Glenn Lewis Frey - your leader and the one who cannot be forgotten. The one that there can't be an Eagles without.

It's worth repeating for the 1001th time - No Glenn, No Eagles!

The things (some) people will do for money...shameful.

WalshFan88
07-01-2020, 06:20 PM
I am not surprised at all about this, but I would've guessed it would make more sense for them to use the recent shows featuring the whole HOTEL CALIFORNIA album than something that is now two years old now. I won't buy it out of principal, but if I could see it for free, I might give it a watch.

I think I'd rather just turn off the electricity then have the chance that this garbage could show up on my TV.

I guess I won't be watching ESPN anytime soon, for fear of reruns. :(

Color me not surprised, either. Still upsetting.

edwardd19
07-01-2020, 06:46 PM
he could’ve even released a concert from 1976 or 1989 they played 3 nights at the forum in 76 and 3 at santa monica in 80 , or even from HFO they played multiple nights at irvine meadows... cmon henley :(

WalshFan88
07-01-2020, 06:56 PM
he could’ve even released a concert from 1976 or 1989 they played 3 nights at the forum in 76 and 3 at santa monica in 80 , or even from HFO they played multiple nights at irvine meadows... cmon henley :(

Exactly. And yes it's not just HOTE or LROOE footage. The 70s stuff too! I'd love to see stuff from the Long Run period. And also from HFO. He'd rather just sweep that under the rug it seems in favor of the 3.0 "band".

The fact they put a VINCE GILL SOLO SONG on this "Eagles video" really chaps my @$$! I just noticed that little tidbit.

Wow. Just wow. Not surprising, but still so wrong. At least he's consistent. But I'll be honest, to see him doubling down just makes me have more and more distaste for the man.

edwardd19
07-01-2020, 07:00 PM
well he is the only member left in the EAGLES LTD so whatever he says goes :hmm: i thought henley would release at least the rest of capital centre at least ... or from LROOE like you said, i would love to see footage from that concert

WalshFan88
07-01-2020, 07:07 PM
well he is the only member left in the EAGLES LTD so whatever he says goes :hmm: i thought henley would release at least the rest of capital centre at least ... or from LROOE like you said, i would love to see footage from that concert

And I'm sure he loves that fact, Edward.

While he and Glenn were both the bosses when Glenn was alive, even Don would play second fiddle to Glenn if it came down to it. However for the most part they would agree on big decisions in the later years.

But now not having anyone "check" him on his choices or tell him "uh, no!" means he shows himself to be quite greedy and IMO devoid of a conscience with regards to doing the right thing regarding 3.0. Irving is quite the enabler, it seems!

CAinOH
07-02-2020, 08:10 AM
Gotta keep the cash cow producing!

Count me in as one of those not watching this and not buying. Not even interested.

chaim
07-02-2020, 08:17 AM
We've come a long way from this:

"It would just seem like greed or something. It would seem like a desperate thing.”

That was about performing without Glenn Frey. Now we have a DVD. 👍

WalshFan88
07-02-2020, 02:33 PM
Gotta keep the cash cow producing!

Count me in as one of those not watching this and not buying. Not even interested.

And they'll keep that cash cow on life support as long as humanly possible.

WalshFan88
07-02-2020, 02:44 PM
We've come a long way from this:

"It would just seem like greed or something. It would seem like a desperate thing.”

That was about performing without Glenn Frey. Now we have a DVD. 👍

It's amazing how some will bend when they smell money. IMO, it just shows that his respect for Glenn as a person and his leadership in the band and his talents and contributions in the Eagles were overtaken by Irving's promise of big money. Maybe he does respect Glenn's legacy, but not to the point where he won't stop doing the wrong thing. At that point, you might as well not even respect him, IMO. It's just shallow.

I have always thought Irving Azoff has classic little man syndrome. He consistently tries to push above his weight class. The guy looks like a garden gnome, yet he loves to sue people, push his weight around, and act all high and mighty and try to intimidate people and thinks so highly of himself. He's lucky he's a rich A-list manager and executive in Hollywood. Because had he not been, and had been an average Joe and more "accessible" by the people at large, he would have been picked up and had some sense shook into him until he realized he wasn't so manipulative and so controlling as he once may have thought. LOL. I have much distaste for Irving. I've read his interviews, I've seen his interviews (on HOTE and elsewhere), and have followed him for many years. The fact he had the gall to call and yell at Lindsey Buckingham on behalf of Stevie Nicks tells me all I need to know about that "man". Until he was fired - he was working for Lindsey, not the other way around. He had to call him to tell him the news, but to have the nerve to chastise him because Stevie told him to and start yelling at his client told me he really thinks far too much of himself. Lindsey could have snapped him in two had he pulled that in person. But because it's from the safety of a phone call and knowing he wouldn't see him anytime soon in person, he decided to play high school principal and give Lindsey a proper scolding and just yell at him about his behavior at MusicCares. There's a reason he's called "the poisoned dwarf"!

sodascouts
07-04-2020, 01:41 PM
They would make a lot more money releasing quality stuff from their golden era.

Or are they still trying to claim they sound "better than ever"?

Yeah, right.

They can call it "Hotel California Live But Not Really."

Not buying it, either literally or figuratively.

07-05-2020, 10:54 AM
I am actually amused by some of your comments. I guess that is called progress when I can actually roll my eyes and giggle at some of this instead of seethe in anger and frustration. Now, don't get me wrong, the anger and frustration aren't gone, but I can find some levity in the ridiculousness and absurdity of it all.

Faux Eagles performing Hotel California Live But Not Really does actually seem like greed or something. It feels like a desperate thing, doesn't it?

WalshFan88
07-05-2020, 04:21 PM
I am actually amused by some of your comments. I guess that is called progress when I can actually roll my eyes and giggle at some of this instead of seethe in anger and frustration. Now, don't get me wrong, the anger and frustration aren't gone, but I can find some levity in the ridiculousness and absurdity of it all.

Faux Eagles performing Hotel California Live But Not Really does actually seem like greed or something. It feels like a desperate thing, doesn't it?

Very. I've never quite seen so much desperation and greed and shallowness like I have in the way that Don and Irving have handled the continuance of the Eagles after Glenn's passing. It's just dirty and has this icky gross feel to it. It's just so wrong and yet some people lap it up like mother's milk. I still have a problem with that, but that seems to upset some people so we'll leave it at that. Where I won't stand quiet is when they have the gall to say the show is better than with Glenn. There are only a few, in fairness, but that to me is just wrong. They must not be Eagles fans if they think that. Glenn was the MVP - THE Eagle.

I think I echo your sentiment Dreamer on how I feel about it and being able to laugh at them now and again, however make no mistake I'm still full of distaste for Don Henley. And Irving Azoff, but I really don't think there is anything admirable about him and never did, so no love lost there. But Don hurt. I respected Don as a great artist, lyricist, and vocalist. He's sung a lot of my favorite songs. He's always been talented. And yes his divisive personality has long been talked about, so to some extent Don has always been Don, but the 3.0 deal is just what deflated my balloon of respect for him. His malcontent ways and cynical attitude would wear on me from time to time, although it does make for good lyrics. After awhile it just makes Don look like a curmudgeon and a nasty person who is never happy and always complains and is "woe-is-me". I've long heard stories from musicians who've had the "privilege" of playing with Don, all of whom say he was not the most welcoming fellow, some of whom say he was a complete jerk. That said, I was able to ignore a lot of that until he did the unthinkable by trying to move on without Glenn and trying to replace him with two watered down examples, who together can't even reach Glenn's heights. I respect Deacon Frey for trying and I don't wish him ill will. However, little Glenn he is NOT. And I wouldn't walk across the road to see Vince Gill, he really soured me on himself with his giddiness about replacing a "friend". I don't respect him like I do Deacon. To me he jumped at the chance a little too happily and seemed a little too gleeful in those early interviews. He might be the nice guy to some, or that he had a successful career without them, but I DO think he jumped at the chance to add the Faux Eagles to his resume. One cannot deny it would be the biggest thing he's ever done. He needed it, to some extent, to just take it on.

The bottom line: Today my TV will be off. Call it cancel culture or boycott or whatever. But I'm not going to take a chance to see that crap on my screen. And I just want to do it on principal alone.

Will they care? No, lol. Will it make me feel better? Abso-freaking-lutely! And that's all that counts/matters. I worry about reruns of this, so I'll be checking TV Guide before flipping ESPN on anytime soon.

groupie2686
07-05-2020, 11:45 PM
I am one of those who think it's not the Eagles without Glenn, but my curiosity got the better of me and I watched the ESPN concert for about 15 minutes before turning it off in disgust. It's just not the same. Their harmonies on Seven Bridges Road sounded dreadful and so different, like it was a completely different band (which, imo, it is). It wasn't right to me to have anyone else singing Glenn's songs - and it was Vince Gill starting New Kid in Town that made me turn it off. They didn't really interact like they used to, even Joe was missing his usual energy. It just seemed like a ploy for money. Glenn was the heart of this band, made even more apparent by seeing them attempt to go on without him. I may watch HOTE soon, however...

WalshFan88
07-06-2020, 03:27 AM
I am one of those who think it's not the Eagles without Glenn, but my curiosity got the better of me and I watched the ESPN concert for about 15 minutes before turning it off in disgust. It's just not the same. Their harmonies on Seven Bridges Road sounded dreadful and so different, like it was a completely different band (which, imo, it is). It wasn't right to me to have anyone else singing Glenn's songs - and it was Vince Gill starting New Kid in Town that made me turn it off. They didn't really interact like they used to, even Joe was missing his usual energy. It just seemed like a ploy for money. Glenn was the heart of this band, made even more apparent by seeing them attempt to go on without him. I may watch HOTE soon, however...

Sometimes you need to flush things out of your system. HOTE sounds like the perfect way to do that. Or maybe F1. :grin: HFO is good too, but a little heavy on the DH material and not enough other songs.

And yeah, I didn't watch but I can tell you I don't doubt anything you've said. It's so vapid and shallow and just reeks of greediness for the sake of greediness. It has this slickness to it that just feels so gross. The opposite of organic and wholesome. It feels processed and lacking nutrients. It's like cold, half-cooked Spaghetti-Os vs a nice Italian spaghetti dinner in a restaurant. I'm a lover of analogies, but I'll stop there. lol

UndertheWire
07-06-2020, 04:19 AM
I don't get the appeal of new recordings of the same old songs but with a different line-up. How does it differ from a cover band? If I bought recordings by Talon, at least there would be some of the more obscure songs amongst the old favourites. Of course, what I'm more likely to do is listen to bootlegs from the 70s if I want to hear a genuine "live" performance. Instead of yet another rendition of "Hotel California", I'd rather listen to Bernie tuning his banjo after breaking a string, or Glenn complaining about the food in London before launching into a fresh version of a song that they haven't played for years.

This recent version of the "Eagles" is just a glossy facsimile.

sodascouts
07-06-2020, 10:15 AM
I don't get the appeal of new recordings of the same old songs but with a different line-up. How does it differ from a cover band?

Exactly. "Here's the exact same songs that you love, ones that we've already re-released in every possible form multiples times already - studio, multiple live versions, multiple studio and live remastered versions, live on video a couple times - only now they're sung by different people, most of whom weren't there originally, and the ones that were can't sing as well as they used to. Only $150 for the Deluxe Set, or get the cheap one at $25!"

07-06-2020, 10:35 AM
groupie - I can't say I'm surprised with your disappointment nor do I doubt that they don't sound the same.

And I so totally agree with you, UTW. If I understand it correctly, isn't a cover band one that performs the songs previously recorded by another artist? Just because they can legally call themselves the Eagles doesn't make a performance any more authentic and legitimate. As I've said before, eventually Henley and Walsh can be replaced (maybe even by their blood relatives, which makes it okay according to Henley) and they could still legally be the Eagles. Ah - I don't think so ... no thank you. So wrong, IMO!

chaim
07-06-2020, 11:11 AM
Personally I think I could probably watch their performance if it was shown here on TV, but I do consider it a huge mess in terms of authenticity and "eaglesness"

Brooke
07-06-2020, 01:44 PM
Ok, don't throw tomatoes (or anything else!) at me, but I will admit I caved and watched this. I have been in agreement with No Glenn, No Eagles since the beginning. I guess curiosity got the best of me and I watched it. Maybe time has healed me somewhat. I don't know!

I must say that everyone looked wonderful and it was really a great show. They gave several mentions of Glenn throughout (and had his picture up behind them at one point) and Deacon in particular was very humble when doing his intro for the songs he sang. They also showed a video clip of Glenn and Chris Berman at the very beginning that was great. I was sad whenever Glenn's songs were done, but they were done so well and the band sounded so good I managed to get through it. Vince Gill also did a great job, which I expected since he has quite the reputation prior to joining the Eagles. No doubt about it, Vince is a class act. The Forum was packed to the rafters. And, evidently no one cared about cell phones because I noticed people filming several times.

Mind you, I still will not be buying any tickets to see them live. That just doesn't interest me without Glenn. I'm sure it is a money grab by all band members, but they certainly do put on a fantastic performance.

chaim
07-06-2020, 02:00 PM
I've never doubted that their performances are fantastic since they're all professional musicians except Deacon. But is Vince Gill singing NKIT a fantastic EAGLES performance? He's always thought that he'd make a good Eagle, but I still disagree. But, like I said, I could probably watch it if I chose to forget the name "Eagles" and watched it as a "show".

Brooke
07-06-2020, 02:29 PM
I've never doubted that their performances are fantastic since they're all professional musicians except Deacon. But is Vince Gill singing NKIT a fantastic EAGLES performance? He's always thought that he'd make a good Eagle, but I still disagree. But, like I said, I could probably watch it if I chose to forget the name "Eagles" and watched it as a "show".

Well, I'm a die hard Glenn/Eagles fan since 1972. No, he isn't Glenn, but he is a fantastic artist in his own right and the band did a wonderful job on all the songs. No, Glenn isn't there, but I could feel the love they all had for him. Believe me, it's hard knowing we'll never see him again with his band. I don't care what the rest of them do in the future and I won't be going to watch them. But this concert was great! And yes, I missed Glenn.

chaim
07-06-2020, 03:32 PM
Well, I'm a die hard Glenn/Eagles fan since 1972. No, he isn't Glenn, but he is a fantastic artist in his own right and the band did a wonderful job on all the songs. No, Glenn isn't there, but I could feel the love they all had for him. Believe me, it's hard knowing we'll never see him again with his band. I don't care what the rest of them do in the future and I won't be going to watch them. But this concert was great! And yes, I missed Glenn.

I didn't mean to downplay your experience. I'm sorry if I gave that impression. It's just that I've never doubted the musicianship of this lineup and I might even enjoy it myself if I don't think of it as 'Eagles'.

WalshFan88
07-06-2020, 07:33 PM
Well said UTW, Soda, Dreamer, and Chaim!

WalshFan88
07-06-2020, 07:38 PM
Ok, don't throw tomatoes (or anything else!) at me, but I will admit I caved and watched this. I have been in agreement with No Glenn, No Eagles since the beginning. I guess curiosity got the best of me and I watched it. Maybe time has healed me somewhat. I don't know!

I must say that everyone looked wonderful and it was really a great show. They gave several mentions of Glenn throughout (and had his picture up behind them at one point) and Deacon in particular was very humble when doing his intro for the songs he sang. They also showed a video clip of Glenn and Chris Berman at the very beginning that was great. I was sad whenever Glenn's songs were done, but they were done so well and the band sounded so good I managed to get through it. Vince Gill also did a great job, which I expected since he has quite the reputation prior to joining the Eagles. No doubt about it, Vince is a class act. The Forum was packed to the rafters. And, evidently no one cared about cell phones because I noticed people filming several times.

Mind you, I still will not be buying any tickets to see them live. That just doesn't interest me without Glenn. I'm sure it is a money grab by all band members, but they certainly do put on a fantastic performance.

LOL, I won't throw tomatoes at you but I just cannot fathom liking those performances, Brooke. Nothing personal. I just vehemently disagree. I've seen YouTube clips, so I know what Deacon and Vince sing like on those songs. It's just dreadful to me, although I DO prefer Deacon singing Glenn's songs, it's still just not right IMO. Vince on the other hand has no business on an "Eagles" stage, Faux Eagles or not. Sorry, JMO.

I just think that Vince Gill is extremely overrated and I do NOT like him one iota. Deacon I have respect for, although I think it's beyond time for him to form his own path and use his Eagles experience as one hell of a resume to either join a band, or better yet start one or go out as a solo artist. I don't like rap music AT ALL or that culture, but if that's his calling I say go for it with both arms and feet. Same applies for EDM. Whatever it is, he has my support. I think it's just not healthy to devote your adult life to trying to be someone else, especially a family member that you will no doubt be compared to, and not always favorably so.

WalshFan88
07-06-2020, 07:40 PM

A-freaking-men, Chaim - and I'm not even religious! Lol.

Vince gives himself far too much credit. An Eagle he is not. I think he's overrated as a singer/musician, but that's subjective. That said, I do not like him one bit as a person, and that's personal and not debatable.

New Kid In Town
07-07-2020, 09:41 AM

Hi Groupie - how are you doing ? I have to say my curiosity get the best of me too. I watched about half of it in between channel surfing other shows. I agree about SBR - I thought they sounded flat and I did not care for it. I did not care for Vince's version of NKIT and some of the other songs he sang. I do think Deacon did a good job on TIE. Vince did a good job on TITTL(though no one beats Randy ! ) and Don and Deacon did an ok job on How Long. I thought HC sounded flat and and IMHO not very good. I thought Tim's singing at times seemed strained. A shallow version of the real Eagles.

It will be interesting to see how this sells. I think they would sell much better I they released classic Eagles. Fans have been waiting for this forever. They could release a HOTE dvd from the beginning of the tour in 2013. Glenn looked fine than. Even people on the fan sites say they keep looking for a dvd of that tour. I guess I should not hold my breath waiting for it to happen. :-(

07-07-2020, 10:09 AM
Well, as I said in an earlier post, I believe everyone has a right to make their own choices about this, but, I am not even remotely interested in seeing this. For me, it is not a question of talent. I believe all of these men have an abundance of talent without question. However, they are not and will never be the Eagles that I was a fan of for over 40 years. They replaced a member and the leader of their band that they all said was irreplaceable. If I want to see a group of musicians perform Eagles songs, there are several very talented tribute/cover bands that I can see at a very reasonable price. For this band to continue to call this lineup the Eagles and charge the prices that they are charging is very simply a fraud AFAIC. Any of us can find a very pretty cubic zirconia piece of jewelry that is an imitation of a diamond. But, because it is an imitation, the price is much lower than the genuine precious gemstone. I was taught to value genuineness and authenticity. If you pay the same price or more for the cubic zirconia as you did for a diamond, you would feel rip-offed and cheated. So, the biggest issue for me is that I find the band's disrespect, greed, and hypocrisy repulsive and have no intention of ever enabling them.

chaim
07-07-2020, 12:54 PM
I guess I could call Gill's versions "nice", but I hear nothing special in the Eagles context. I think I could enjoy the Glenn songs as nice cover versions, but it is not EAGLES I hear. He's a professional singer, so he can sing, but he will NEVER be an Eagles singer to me.

scottside
07-07-2020, 01:04 PM
I wasn't going to weigh in on this for obvious reasons, but I decided to anyway. Because it was free for us to watch and we were at home on Sunday night with nothing else to do, we watched the ESPN "Eagles" show. I did not have high expectations although I was pleasantly surprised at how good most of the songs were performed. I missed Glenn everywhere---through his master of ceremonies role, his lead and harmony vocals and his whole persona as part of the Eagles. There is simply NO replacement for him, but that did not mean that I couldn't enjoy this show for what it was. Vince Gill is more than a capable singer and guitarist and he handled his role admirably. Deacon did what he needed to do and also acquitted himself well.

One thing I did notice was that there was a little bit more spontaneity on stage than there usually is. And Joe's solos definitely seemed more improvised than what I was expecting. I would never go see this band live for many reasons, but I found the show to be worthy of watching and was thrilled with Timothy's shoutout to Randy Meisner, who apparently was in the audience.

Glenn, not being there, really changes the dynamic of the band, for sure. It's not the same and will never be, but I'd much rather see these guys play from home than pay to see any cover band do the same anywhere.

sodascouts
07-07-2020, 02:26 PM

Yeah. I agree with this assessment in the end. I'm sure they endeavor to put on a good show, and if these guys had called themselves something else besides "Eagles", I know I would have ponied up for a seat - although at these prices, I couldn't have sat very close. Heck, I'd have travelled to do so. I miss seeing them play. Going to Eagles shows was a big part of my life for ten years. All told, I went to 31. That's not counting solo shows, folks.

But I'll never reward their continuance of the band without Glenn by buying a ticket to a show or a copy of this concert. It's the principle of it.

Mark Wesley Curran
07-08-2020, 10:40 AM
For sure, the Eagles just aren't the Eagles without Glenn Frey. His songwriting and vocals were an integral part of the group. ;-)

This thread has been split from the "Eagles 3.0 (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6955)" thread, which was initially started when it was unclear whether or not Don Henley would go back on his word that he would not attempt to reform an "Eagles" without Glenn. That thread initially discussed the possibility of an Eagles without Glenn, then for a long time people went back and forth about why they did or did not support it.

Finally, it was obvious there was no "debating" going on, just a vicious cycle of recriminations. People had decided whether or not they supported it, and that was that. Those who did not support it needed a place where they could discuss their feelings without people haranguing them, scolding them, guilt-tripping them, mocking them, gloating about how successful the faux Eagles are without Glenn, etc.

This thread was created for that purpose.

So if you are gung-ho about this this new group of men calling themselves the Eagles, that's great. Go to the Tour threads and Review threads and you'll find like-minded people. Don't come into this thread.

If you want to argue, don't come to this thread. There's a place to debate here (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7389).

People who post in this thread essentially agree with the following statements by Don Henley made on November 28, 2016 in The Washington Post (https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/music/don-henley-says-the-eagles-are-done-it-was-always-glenn-freys-band/2016/11/28/ccd89a4a-aa6a-11e6-977a-1030f822fc35_story.html?utm_term=.d406495b8ec7):
“I don’t see how we could go out and play without the guy who started the band [...] It would just seem like greed or something. It would seem like a desperate thing.”

Irving Azoff asked Best Classic Bands (http://osecrobotics.com/bestclassicbands/dan-fogelberg-tribute-album-interview-11-16-17/) on November 16, 2017: "What's your definition of the Eagles? Glenn's gone."

Here's ours:

It's not the Eagles without Glenn Frey.

WalshFan88
07-10-2020, 07:34 PM
For sure, the Eagles just aren't the Eagles without Glenn Frey. His songwriting and vocals were an integral part of the group. ;-)

Amen!

And his leadership, direction, and arranging were also integral. He wasn't called the Lone Arranger for nothing, afterall. And I think he was a far better MC and frontman than Don Henley. He had the charisma and personality to speak to the audience and engage them with is funny bits and his introduction of the band and his jokes about the songs and where he was from. He truly kept it light/fun and everyone loved him!

07-11-2020, 10:58 AM
Welcome, Mark.

You won't get any argument from any of us here. Although each member of the band made significant contributions, Glenn Frey was the heart and soul of the EAGLES. There is simply no replacement for him and the remaining band members all said so after his death. It's sad that they succumbed to the almighty dollar. I guess that's why they say it's the root of all evil.

groupie2686
07-22-2020, 09:09 PM
Hi Groupie - how are you doing ? I have to say my curiosity get the best of me too. I watched about half of it in between channel surfing other shows. I agree about SBR - I thought they sounded flat and I did not care for it. I did not care for Vince's version of NKIT and some of the other songs he sang. I do think Deacon did a good job on TIE. Vince did a good job on TITTL(though no one beats Randy ! ) and Don and Deacon did an ok job on How Long. I thought HC sounded flat and and IMHO not very good. I thought Tim's singing at times seemed strained. A shallow version of the real Eagles.

It will be interesting to see how this sells. I think they would sell much better I they released classic Eagles. Fans have been waiting for this forever. They could release a HOTE dvd from the beginning of the tour in 2013. Glenn looked fine than. Even people on the fan sites say they keep looking for a dvd of that tour. I guess I should not hold my breath waiting for it to happen. :-(

Hi New Kid, how are you? I've been really busy with work lately and haven't had a chance to come on here. I was listening to pandora at work and Hotel California came on - from the 2018 concert, without Glenn. Don sounded as good as always but the harmonies sounded off and lower, showing just how essential Glenn was to their sound. I also thought Steuart made a mistake on the guitar solo...it just wasn't the same!

WalshFan88
10-31-2020, 07:57 PM
In the latest "Vince Gill ticks me off" volume #140, here he is discussing the "negative comments" by those of us against the Eagles continuation and those of us against him in the band.

He says around 19:45 in the video: "The other option is not possible", in reference to him singing those songs and that Glenn cannot any more. As if to infer that he is the only choice that Eagles fans have.

I'm sorry Vince but you chose to not mention or intentionally obscure the third option here. NO MORE EAGLES!!! Funny how you neglect to present that option. The morally and ethically right option, btw! And that's not to even mention that Vince is inferring that he is the only choice we have as a replacement too. Some see this humble jovial guy. I see a covert sneakiness that reeks of arrogance, albeit subtly. Even if that wasn't what he meant, he should have thought that through a little more and realize how it would come off. It wasn't exactly humble, IMO. Personally, the only "option" I was/am interested in is NO EAGLES. It also reeks of "hey, I don't want to do this but I'll take one for the team since I am "the one"."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Vtx8oG_eWc

chaim
11-03-2020, 10:03 AM
"I don't wanna hear me sing New Kid In Town". Then by all means do not sing it. I'm ok with that.

WalshFan88
11-03-2020, 08:34 PM
"I don't wanna hear me sing New Kid In Town". Then by all means do not sing it. I'm ok with that.

Exactly Chaim. :lol:

Then save the world the misery of hearing it and, well, don't!

11-06-2020, 10:21 PM
Totally agree with both of you. Relieve yourself of the agony, Vince. Courtesy of the overly-critical internet crowd.

sodascouts
11-09-2020, 12:34 AM
Amen!

AlreadyGone95
12-18-2020, 12:18 AM
I don't want to beat a dead horse here, but I want to throw in my two cents. I haven't kept up with the band much over the past few years because I firmly belong in the "No Glenn, No Eagles" camp. I saw no point in keeping track of the band because to do so, to me, is to acknowledge that the "Ea$les" ($ on purpose) still do exist. However, curiosity got the better of me.

I've spent the past few days reading through this thread. I've lost allot of respect for Don Henley and Vince Gill in doing so (not a VG fan, but I thought the guy was very charming). I honestly did not even know about the world tour in 2019. I looked on the band's website because I thought that, maybe, with covid-19, they'd put the kebash on touring. I should've known better and realized that wasn't the case.

I don't mind tribute bands or even bands carrying on or regrouping after a member leaves. However, to me, it is an entirely different matter when the leader of the band passes away. When that happened, the band should quit referring to themselves by the band name, as that band no longer exists, especially in a band that has been around for 45 years. Each subsequent tour tarnishes the legacy Glenn and the band built, imo.

I now understand how some Lynyrd Skynyrd fans feel about the reformation of the band after the plane crash. Ronnie Van Zant was the band, in many ways, and even though his little brother took over, it still wasn't right to some fans. It's the same way with Glenn being replaced by his son, Deacon, and Vince Gill.

Also, on the mobile site, the memorial link tribute to Glenn is on the very bottom of the page. I had to search for it. This, to me, is another travesty against the memory and legacy of Glenn Frey and the band he created.

sodascouts
12-18-2020, 11:14 AM
I've finally deadened my heart to it. They're out there not being the Eagles and they're not going to stop so as long as people are buying tickets and it's not going to stop hurting to see it, so I just have to stop thinking about it. I just started turning away.

However, if someone asks me about it... I let my opinion be known. :lol:

chaim
12-18-2020, 03:30 PM
"It is what it is."

12-20-2020, 11:38 AM
I accept that what the band chooses to do is out of my control; however, I will never accept that they are doing the right thing. But, I don't stress over what I can't control.

New Kid In Town
12-20-2020, 12:27 PM
I accept that what the band chooses to do is out of my control; however, I will never accept that they are doing the right thing. But, I don't stress over what I can't control.

Amen Dreamer ! We are not going to change anything and IMHO there are more important things to worry about.

WalshFan88
12-23-2021, 05:10 PM
I just saw a picture of the 3.0 lineup from a recent show. OMG they are back to the dreaded funeral suits from LROOE era. Maybe it's been this way for awhile. I intentionally don't seek out 3.0 era stuff but it popped up on my social media feed. Makes me think the suits were Henley's idea vs Glenn's during LROOE. Maybe both but it seems something Don would like. I so very appreciated the casual clothing of the HOTE tour after seeing the LROOE tour. And the F1 tour that preceded the LROOE tour and all the tours before that weren't like that. If you aren't going to dress like rockstars, at least dress like average joe's in shirts and jeans! Not this all black business suit stuff. So very not rock and roll band and so very very corporate rock and stuffy and formal. Joe's suit looked so long on him and went so far down it almost looked like a magician's cape. :hilarious:

Something so very stuffy about suits and low stage volumes and controlling your audience's every move. Which in my mind screams Don Henley to a T. He's a brilliant lyricist and vocalist but he's so serious and so uptight and kinda sucks the fun out of it at times. This is not new news however - he's been that way for a long time, at least since his solo career. I mean starting with The End Of The Innocence album he got very serious and formal and the music from TEOTI reflected that. He worse suits and sunglasses onstage in his solo shows for years where the stage volumes were so low, his guitarist commented in an interview I read that you could hear the front row talking over them if they would have spoke. And that's fine if you like that kind of thing, but if you are used to AC/DC or The Rolling Stones or a more rock n' roll fun concert type of band, well it's a little too much for me. Yet here they are still playing those rocking' songs about Life In The Fast Lane and Those Shoes while looking like Wall Street executives or lawyers. It's kind of ironic and laughingly so. For the guy who wanted to "kill all the lawyers" (figuratively) as he passionately sang in Get Over it, Mr. Don Henley sure fits the appearance and personality of one quite well here in 2021. :grin: I just saw Glenn as more of a classic rockstar, but one that could also be comfortable in a button up and torn jeans. Very cool, very fitting but also had this quality about him that made him seem like an "Ordinary Average Guy" and relatable and blue-collar. I can't say Don has ever fit that image.

I mean at the end of the day I don't really care what they wear now as I'm not in the market for an "Eagles" show anymore, but it just doesn't sit well with me and brought up old LROOE-era hard feelings. :lol: I just thought it was an interesting observation and made me think about how funny it looks if you stop and think about it. But I'm sure Winger probably has a funny feeling about going out and singing "Seventeen" every show as if they were still very young men. So it comes with the territory to an extent.

chaim
12-24-2021, 10:53 AM
Agreed. Suits work better for Kiss. https://youtu.be/8c5FfjXNKNs

WalshFan88
12-24-2021, 02:50 PM
Agreed. Suits work better for Kiss. https://youtu.be/8c5FfjXNKNs

I actually quite like Tommy's suit. It looks rock n' roll and looks like something Ace would actually have worn in place of the space suit. The other 3? Well, not so much. I like KISS with the pyro and the classic outfits.

Rock n' roll is supposed to be fun, damnit! :hilarious:

12-26-2021, 12:25 PM
Yeah - Count me in as someone who definitely prefers rock stars without suits. As far as those Long Road Out of Eden suits, I don't know whose idea it was - the good news is that the band ditched them after the first leg of the tour.

chaim
12-26-2021, 02:33 PM
I actually quite like Tommy's suit. It looks rock n' roll and looks like something Ace would actually have worn in place of the space suit. The other 3? Well, not so much. I like KISS with the pyro and the classic outfits.

Rock n' roll is supposed to be fun, damnit! :hilarious:

Although I was joking above, I do think that the suit look worked as a one-off thing for Kiss, as it was obviously referring to their Dressed To Kill cover. I think they all looked pretty cool there - better than the original lineup looked on the DTK cover!

WalshFan88
03-18-2022, 07:01 PM
Well, with it looking like Deacon is no longer in the "Eagles", I think we were all right from the beginning about Don Henley lying about needing the Frey family blood to continue.

chaim
03-20-2022, 07:29 AM
Well, with it looking like Deacon is no longer in the "Eagles", I think we were all right from the beginning about Don Henley lying about needing the Frey family blood to continue.

I don't know what goes on in Don's head, but I've always thought that he was worried about how people would take it if they continued. I don't think he personally felt that the "blood" had to be there. When they were still a success, I think he didn't feel the need to worry anymore. But it's just what I think.

WalshFan88
03-23-2022, 05:50 PM
I'd say you're right, chaim.

I just watched Steuart Smith and he's now doing the Glenn solo on Already Gone and Joe is doing the Felder solo. Evidentally the Frey solo was too much for Joe to learn. It's not hard but it is a lot more all over the neck than the Felder solo Steuart is used to doing. Vince sounded dreadful on AG. Deacon definitely sounds better as a rocker vocal. I think the only think Vince Gill knows about rockers is that they are a type of chair. :hilarious: Just so out of place. Better on the PEF/Tequila Sunrise type numbers, but still not close to Glenn.

Scamp
03-24-2022, 08:31 AM
I'd say you're right, chaim.

I just watched Steuart Smith and he's now doing the Glenn solo on Already Gone and Joe is doing the Felder solo. Evidentally the Frey solo was too much for Joe to learn. It's not hard but it is a lot more all over the neck than the Felder solo Steuart is used to doing. Vince sounded dreadful on AG. Deacon definitely sounds better as a rocker vocal. I think the only think Vince Gill knows about rockers is that they are a type of chair. :hilarious: Just so out of place. Better on the PEF/Tequila Sunrise type numbers, but still not close to Glenn.

I think Joe is really starting to have problems with his fingers. If you've ever looked at his fingers they twitch uncontrollably He usually keeps his hands in a fist or holds one hand with the other. I've seen him lose his pick because his thumb jerks up and if you watch his left thumb it pops up and down even when he's not moving the rest of his hand. He's had this problem for years, since the early 90's at least. Back then he always kept his hands in his pockets. If he has on short sleeves you can see the muscle twitch all the way up his shoulders.
When he plays in his bands I've noticed his rhythm guitar person is playing more and more of the solo parts. He and Steuart are playing more and more together. I like the sound but I wonder if it's out of necessity as much as sound

chaim
03-24-2022, 01:51 PM
I haven't watched that many videos featuring Vince or Vince and Deacon...Now you're talking about who plays what, are there songs from the days before Joe that Don doesn't play drums on? If there are, there's not one original person playing his original part (and only one is singing his original part.) I assume Don still plays drums on the earlier songs.

WalshFan88
03-24-2022, 02:55 PM
I think Joe is really starting to have problems with his fingers. If you've ever looked at his fingers they twitch uncontrollably He usually keeps his hands in a fist or holds one hand with the other. I've seen him lose his pick because his thumb jerks up and if you watch his left thumb it pops up and down even when he's not moving the rest of his hand. He's had this problem for years, since the early 90's at least. Back then he always kept his hands in his pockets. If he has on short sleeves you can see the muscle twitch all the way up his shoulders.
When he plays in his bands I've noticed his rhythm guitar person is playing more and more of the solo parts. He and Steuart are playing more and more together. I like the sound but I wonder if it's out of necessity as much as sound

Yeah I think you're exactly right.

Though I will say I did hear Steuart hit a bum note on that GF solo. And it's not a hard solo, but if you had to quickly throw something together I can see how it would happen. It's nothing pyrotechnical, but you do tend to skirt around the middle and high registers of the neck pretty quickly in a back and forth fashion. And I think Joe probably wanted to save his hands for stuff like the Hotel California solo or the Dirty Laundry solo if they are still playing that. I think they had to seriously quickly get together to learn the parts that Deacon played lead on. Be it Try And Love Again, Already Gone, Witchy Woman, etc. I haven't seen TALA or WW, but I was curious who was doing what on AG so I suffered through the video to find out LOL. Also they would have had to get someone to do the 12 string TIE intro guitar part as the other guys are on either 6 string acoustic or electric.

WalshFan88
03-24-2022, 04:12 PM
I haven't watched that many videos featuring Vince or Vince and Deacon...Now you're talking about who plays what, are there songs from the days before Joe that Don doesn't play drums on? If there are, there's not one original person playing his original part (and only one is singing his original part.) I assume Don still plays drums on the earlier songs.

Don is out front now on Already Gone with an acoustic guitar. Definitely pre-Joe. :)

Scamp
03-25-2022, 09:02 AM
One thing I really noticed is on Hotel CA the lack of the second 12 string. Glenn played 12 string with a capo on the second fret and Don now Steuart play the 12 string with it on the 7th fret. Deacon played the 12 string part but without him it's just Steuart. It loses something. While Steuart was playing 6 string you would still have the 12 string in the background now you don't. It's just doesn't sound right.
I think Joe may realize his limitations now. He's always liked Steuart's playing and they seem to really have a good time playing together. You see Steuart playing in Vets Aid with Joe. Joe likes having two guitars playing together. Over all I think he's willing to do anything for the better of the band. He just enjoys playing.
It also seems to me like Timothy seems to been moved to the background since Vince is in. I like Vince but I think having him sing on Tim's solo is wrong. It' has always been Tim and parts with background but now it seems like Vince sings almost the whole song too. Maybe I'm wrong but that's just ow I see it. Now you always see Don with Joe but no Timothy or never Don with Timothy or even Joe and Timothy. It's not like he and Joe live that far apart.

chaim
03-25-2022, 02:59 PM
One thing I really noticed is on Hotel CA the lack of the second 12 string. Glenn played 12 string with a capo on the second fret and Don now Steuart play the 12 string with it on the 7th fret. Deacon played the 12 string part but without him it's just Steuart. It loses something. While Steuart was playing 6 string you would still have the 12 string in the background now you don't. It's just doesn't sound right.
I think Joe may realize his limitations now. He's always liked Steuart's playing and they seem to really have a good time playing together. You see Steuart playing in Vets Aid with Joe. Joe likes having two guitars playing together. Over all I think he's willing to do anything for the better of the band. He just enjoys playing.
It also seems to me like Timothy seems to been moved to the background since Vince is in. I like Vince but I think having him sing on Tim's solo is wrong. It' has always been Tim and parts with background but now it seems like Vince sings almost the whole song too. Maybe I'm wrong but that's just ow I see it. Now you always see Don with Joe but no Timothy or never Don with Timothy or even Joe and Timothy. It's not like he and Joe live that far apart.

Incidentally, I wonder why Glenn started playing HC with a capo on the second fret live since there's no such acoustic part in the original version as far as I can hear. Except possibly in the choruses. Why didn't Glenn just learn Don's acoustic part (capo on the 7th) and play that live? The part Glenn played live was all triads whereas Don's part has 7ths and 9ths - a different sound.

WalshFan88
03-25-2022, 05:35 PM
Incidentally, I wonder why Glenn started playing HC with a capo on the second fret live since there's no such acoustic part in the original version as far as I can hear. Except possibly in the choruses. Why didn't Glenn just learn Don's acoustic part (capo on the 7th) and play that live? The part Glenn played live was all triads whereas Don's part has 7ths and 9ths - a different sound.

I think it was solely to give him an instrument to play and something to do. He's not the lead vocal on Hotel Cali, so standing up there just singing background vocals front and center without a guitar on would probably have felt awkward to him unless he had a guitar or was singing lead vocals. I know I feel naked onstage without a guitar. If I don't have a part to play, I just turn the volume off and play chords or at least look like I'm doing something. I mean even Henley likes to strap on a guitar when he's singing out front unless it's a song like Desperado or something real slow and mellow and passionate. It's almost like a security blanket or a feeling of comfort and you don't feel exposed. :lol:

As far as why he didn't play DF's part, I guess perhaps Don didn't want to share it - I mean he talks about the fact he just *had* to get a doubleneck because he had to play both parts and hated guitar stands. I'd say that was his thing and he wasn't all for sharing it. Clearly Glenn wasn't that way, considering he let him play the ICTYW solo every night. But I could see Don not wanting to give Glenn his creation and let him stand out front and play the intro, regardless of Felder still getting to play the guitar solo. I think it was a case of "ok, what do I do here that will fit" as far as him playing it 2nd fret.

Scamp
03-26-2022, 07:33 AM

I think it was just for choruses. The first time I saw it I thought maybe Glenn's guitar was tuned down a step to make it easier to play but he's been playing 12 for a long time. It just gives the song a fuller sound and it just didn't sound the same without it

@WalshFan88 I've noticed Don out front more since Vince has been in the band. I noticed many times in the past when he out front he'll walk over and stand with who ever has a solo guitar part. Also when Joe goes over to play with Vince and Timothy, he goes over there to leaving Steuart and Deacon playing together. I know he has said he's had problems with him hand and arm when playing the drums now. Said sometime it's like a shotgun going off in his arm down to his hand.
Don from the start has had a hard time out front in someways He doesn't know what to do with his hands when he's talking. You see him playing with the mike a lot. When he went solo he had to learn how to move his body. Heard he actually took Salsa dance lessons In someways I always felt that was his problem with Joe. Joe was a natural showman and just had a stage presence that Don didn't Joe just likes to have fun where Don is a little more refined. Now I think he's glad Joe is there to take to the crowd, kinda take the lead to get things started.

WalshFan88
04-12-2022, 02:41 PM
Now I think he's glad Joe is there to take to the crowd, kinda take the lead to get things started.

Absolutely!

Next to Glenn, Joe is the only other charismatic person on that stage. Glenn and Joe were the only ones who were charismatic or natural frontmen in the Eagles since 1972, IMO. Those two knew/know how to have fun. How to engage an audience, crack jokes, and make it not near as stuffy as say, a Don Henley solo concert might be. Don is a brilliant lyricist and singer but I don't think the man has had fun in the last I don't know how many years. I think back on all of those live clips of Joe cracking Glenn up or vice versa and the genuine friendship between those two. There's a reason Glenn partnered up with Joe in the solo years for Party Of Two concerts. There was no drama there.

FreyFollower
04-13-2022, 03:44 AM
Absolutely!

Next to Glenn, Joe is the only other charismatic person on that stage. Glenn and Joe were the only ones who were charismatic or natural frontmen in the Eagles since 1972, IMO. Those two knew/know how to have fun. How to engage an audience, crack jokes, and make it not near as stuffy as say, a Don Henley solo concert might be. Don is a brilliant lyricist and singer but I don't think the man has had fun in the last I don't know how many years. I think back on all of those live clips of Joe cracking Glenn up or vice versa and the genuine friendship between those two. There's a reason Glenn partnered up with Joe in the solo years for Party Of Two concerts. There was no drama there.

I remember when they started concerts again, watching Joe, thinking that he doesn't have a buddy to have fun onstage with anymore. I'm sure they are all enjoying themselves, but no cutting up, joking with each other, dancing around. Having someone else sing Glenn's songs (even if they sounded exactly like him) doesn't even begin to replace what they have lost.
No warm, gregarious host sets the stage for concert goers, interacts with all band members, or introduces backup musicians and lets them share applause. Glenn kept a watchful eye on all proceedings, signaled musicians or even the orchestra when necessary, and filled in with humor when there were technical issues. He told the familiar jokes everyone laughed and groaned at. He added spark with a wink, a grin, a funny face. It was his band.
Although they may sound good, it's the Muzak version. They didn't just lose a voice. "Elvis has left the building", and their Leader is gone.

FreyFollower
04-13-2022, 05:22 AM
There's a reason Glenn partnered up with Joe in the solo years for Party Of Two concerts. [/QUOTE] I see no other Eagle doing this with Joe!:D
http://glennfreyonline.com/images/GFreyPOTHats.jpg

chaim
04-13-2022, 09:54 AM
Yes, the band lost so much when Glenn died. Not just a singer. Like Yes lost so much more than a bass player when Chris Squire died. The difference, of course, is that we know that Squire wanted the band to continue.

Scamp
04-14-2022, 07:23 AM
I remember when they started concerts again, watching Joe, thinking that he doesn't have a buddy to have fun onstage with anymore. I'm sure they are all enjoying themselves, but no cutting up, joking with each other, dancing around. Having someone else sing Glenn's songs (even if they sounded exactly like him) doesn't even begin to replace what they have lost.
No warm, gregarious host sets the stage for concert goers, interacts with all band members, or introduces backup musicians and lets them share applause. Glenn kept a watchful eye on all proceedings, signaled musicians or even the orchestra when necessary, and filled in with humor when there were technical issues. He told the familiar jokes everyone laughed and groaned at. He added spark with a wink, a grin, a funny face. It was his band.
Although they may sound good, it's the Muzak version. They didn't just lose a voice. "Elvis has left the building", and their Leader is gone.

I miss Timothy walking around the stage too. Standing next to Joe and the faces they made, or standing next to Steuart while he played the guitar solo in Tim's solo. Too many people on the stage now. I also don' care for the full orchestra, I think it takes away from the band.
As for Deacon, I think he's great kid and singing his Dad's songs has to be hard on him. It seems he was more Glenn's son and not Deacon. Going from singing at his Dad's Memorial to touring for months had to be hard on him plus the age difference. Maybe he wants some people his own age to be around at times. I think he has learned a lot about playing on stage and touring and he really stepped up. I hope he continues in music but at his own pace and singing what he wants to sing, he's very good.
I do think Joe really misses Glenn in fact when he plays Take it to the Limit in his solo shows you can see him wipeing away a tear or two.
Didn't the Eagles say they will play at the opening of Irving's new stadium in Coachella in August? or when ever it opens. You know Joe wouldn't say that without Don's approval. I'm sure Don and Irving discussed it.

WalshFan88
04-14-2022, 12:05 PM
I see no other Eagle doing this with Joe!:D
http://glennfreyonline.com/images/GFreyPOTHats.jpg

Haha I love that. There is no denying those two had a friendship that lasted through the hardest times of the band, during the breakup, and until Glenn's dying day. There is no doubt in my mind that they stayed close, long after he separated from Don Henley and Don Felder in 1980.

chaim
04-14-2022, 12:44 PM
I love that picture of Glenn and Joe. The expression on Glenn's face is hilarious even though it's not "funny" at all!