PDA

View Full Version : For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

sodascouts
11-14-2017, 05:00 PM
This thread has been split from the "Eagles 3.0 (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6955)" thread, which was initially started when it was unclear whether or not Don Henley would go back on his word that he would not attempt to reform an "Eagles" without Glenn. That thread initially discussed the possibility of an Eagles without Glenn, then for a long time people went back and forth about why they did or did not support it.

Finally, it was obvious there was no "debating" going on, just a vicious cycle of recriminations. People had decided whether or not they supported it, and that was that. Those who did not support it needed a place where they could discuss their feelings without people haranguing them, scolding them, guilt-tripping them, mocking them, gloating about how successful the faux Eagles are without Glenn, etc.

This thread was created for that purpose.

So if you are gung-ho about this this new group of men calling themselves the Eagles, that's great. Go to the Tour threads and Review threads and you'll find like-minded people. Don't come into this thread.

If you want to argue, don't come to this thread. There's a place to debate here (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7389).

People who post in this thread essentially agree with the following statements by Don Henley made on November 28, 2016 in The Washington Post (https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/music/don-henley-says-the-eagles-are-done-it-was-always-glenn-freys-band/2016/11/28/ccd89a4a-aa6a-11e6-977a-1030f822fc35_story.html?utm_term=.d406495b8ec7):
“I don’t see how we could go out and play without the guy who started the band [...] It would just seem like greed or something. It would seem like a desperate thing.”
Irving Azoff asked Best Classic Bands (http://osecrobotics.com/bestclassicbands/dan-fogelberg-tribute-album-interview-11-16-17/) on November 16, 2017: "What's your definition of the Eagles? Glenn's gone."

Here's ours:

It's not the Eagles without Glenn Frey.

sodascouts
11-15-2017, 06:57 PM
Here's our thread to express discontent. Sorry if the existence of this one thread pisses some people off, but we need a place to let off steam.

I'm not going to try to bring others down, but I'm not going to pretend to be excited about it either, which seems to be what some people want from me.

I'm resigned to this and I expected it. I'm just going to grit my teeth and endure it. They can only do it for a few more years, surely. This too shall pass.

In a decade, we can all look back on it as an inglorious period that's best forgotten... and undoubtedly will be. When people talk of the great band that was the Eagles, the one that made music that changed lives, that changed the world, they won't be talking about this act.

So I'll just keep looking forward to the day when this ends, as it must, eventually. Until then, I'm going to ignore all the reviews, all the photos, all the videos. I'm not going to visit the review threads unless there's some drama I need to deal with as an admin (hopefully never). I have nothing to add to those threads.

I was surprised by Azoff's "celebration" comment and I'm not sure what to make of it. We'll see if anything like that ever gets said again. If it were legit... but I've become wary. When I hear exactly what I want to hear, I wonder if I'm being played (isn't that terribly cynical?) As I said, we'll see.

Freypower
11-15-2017, 07:48 PM
Well Soda, should I apologise for posting in the 2018 thread where they're all trying to celebrate unencumbered by the likes of us? I will then; I apologise for having posted there.

I wish I could agree with you that this too shall pass, when all around us we see it being celebrated & praised as the new normal.

However if we can still post here about what we dislike, I will say here that I found Walsh's comment about Gill filling the 'ghost voice in the harmonies' crass & insensitive. It was not just harmonies, for a start. Never mind.

You know very well how it's going to be billed. I would even bet that they will drop the 'with DF & VG' tag.

sodascouts
11-15-2017, 07:59 PM
You don't have to apologize, but I actually find it freeing to have a thread like this. It's not just for their benefit. It's for ours.

I don't like to argue either, and I have no desire to try to convince someone who's perfectly happy about "Eagles 3.0" - or the "nuEagles" or whatever you want to call them - that they shouldn't be. Still, when news like this breaks, I do want to talk about how I feel with people who get what I'm saying.

I know not everyone agrees obviously, and several of the "pro" camp actively choose to come in here and argue about it, but at this point, most stay away from this thread. I find that to be a relief.

Another benefit is that having the discontent here keeps other threads from detouring into back-and-forths over the same topic again and again. Unfortunately, despite our best efforts, some may leak through as there will always be resentment that dissent exists. However, it's minimized.

New Kid In Town
11-15-2017, 08:46 PM
Well, I guess I should apologize too as I am the one who apparently started it all. Jeez, what a freaking mess ! I never thought I would find myself arguing over something like this, especially with everything else we have going on in the world for the past year.
FP - I have to say I could not agree with you more regarding Joe's statement about Vince. It hurt reading that from Joe. I realize he is trying to justify Vince's being in the band but still a poor choice of words. I just don't get how people think they are supposed to support everything the band does -right or wrong, just because they are fans.

Dawn
11-15-2017, 08:50 PM
Well Soda, should I apologise for posting in the 2018 thread where they're all trying to celebrate unencumbered by the likes of us? I will then; I apologise for having posted there.

I wish I could agree with you that this too shall pass, when all around us we see it being celebrated & praised as the new normal.

However if we can still post here about what we dislike, I will say here that I found Walsh's comment about Gill filling the 'ghost voice in the harmonies' crass & insensitive. It was not just harmonies, for a start. Never mind.

You know very well how it's going to be billed. I would even bet that they will drop the 'with DF & VG' tag.

I also did not care for Walsh's comment -- it WAS crass and insensitive. But it confirms the sad reality that Glenn Frey has been replaced which from the very beginning is something the band appeared unable and/or unwilling to own up to.

YoungEaglesFan
11-15-2017, 09:39 PM
I also did not care for Walsh's comment -- it WAS crass and insensitive. But it confirms the sad reality that Glenn Frey has been replaced which from the very beginning is something the band appeared unable and/or unwilling to own up to.

Which part did you find crass? Just the overall tone or was there a specific comment

Dawn
11-15-2017, 09:51 PM
Which part did you find crass? Just the overall tone or was there a specific comment

Crass/insensitve referring to his choice of words.

YoungEaglesFan
11-15-2017, 10:02 PM
Crass/insensitve referring to his choice of words.

Could you just give an exmaple? I didn’t read anything I found to be that way but I didn’t read too deeply

Freypower
11-15-2017, 10:21 PM
Could you just give an exmaple? I didn’t read anything I found to be that way but I didn’t read too deeply

I have already quoted the exact words to which I took exception, but I have included the entire passage & bolded the words.

In an interview published in the Las Vegas Sun today (Nov. 14), where he has three shows at the House of Blues at the Mandalay Bay, Joe Walsh was asked about the group’s string of 2017 dates and whether the band would tour in 2018: “Yes, we are. You know, we had to try. We didn’t know if we could do it, so we had to try. Glenn’s son said OK and stepped up; he’s 23 and he’s great. He doesn’t know he’s great but he’s great, and that really helped us spiritually. Then we got Vince Gill and he filled in that ghost voice in the harmonies, and he’s a brilliant musician.
“So we rehearsed and I was really nervous about it, but we played a couple shows and got great reviews and it just felt right onstage. It felt great. So we took a deep breath and recommitted and yes, next year we’re going to play between 40 and 50 shows. It sure feels good to play our music for people again, and they know the words better than we do.”

http://bestclassicbands.com/eagles-tour-2018-azoff-exclusive-11-14-17/

Oh, and repeating 'great' FIVE times makes Walsh sound like Donald Trump.

YoungEaglesFan
11-15-2017, 10:56 PM
I have already quoted the exact words to which I took exception, but I have included the entire passage & bolded the words.

In an interview published in the Las Vegas Sun today (Nov. 14), where he has three shows at the House of Blues at the Mandalay Bay, Joe Walsh was asked about the group’s string of 2017 dates and whether the band would tour in 2018: “Yes, we are. You know, we had to try. We didn’t know if we could do it, so we had to try. Glenn’s son said OK and stepped up; he’s 23 and he’s great. He doesn’t know he’s great but he’s great, and that really helped us spiritually. Then we got Vince Gill and he filled in that ghost voice in the harmonies, and he’s a brilliant musician.
“So we rehearsed and I was really nervous about it, but we played a couple shows and got great reviews and it just felt right onstage. It felt great. So we took a deep breath and recommitted and yes, next year we’re going to play between 40 and 50 shows. It sure feels good to play our music for people again, and they know the words better than we do.”

http://bestclassicbands.com/eagles-tour-2018-azoff-exclusive-11-14-17/

Oh, and repeating 'great' FIVE times makes Walsh sound like Donald Trump.

I’m not going to argue here because I respect the wishes of those who wish to express their opinion and not have to argue about it. I just want to say that I think filling in the ghost voice in the harmonies is an issue of taste I guess. Some would say he effectively fills the harmonies some would say he doesn’t. I personally think he does a good job but I’m not here to argue that point. Is the word “ghost” the word you don’t like? I can understand being upset at referring him to that way. It was insensitive both as it undermines Glenn’s role in the harmonies and for referring to him as a ghost

chaim
11-15-2017, 11:13 PM
I'm disappointed in both Timothy and Joe these days for what they say in interviews, or how they say it. I don't remember reading much from Don. I don't like this situation at all, but I keep it to myself, because me raving about it doesn't change anything. Also, I see people enjoying it, so it's not for me to say they shouldn't. And somewhere in me there's a voice that says "its only a rock band, don't worry about it". But it does bother me when I suddenly see them being "worryingly" excited to be playing without Glenn.

Freypower
11-16-2017, 12:21 AM
I’m not going to argue here because I respect the wishes of those who wish to express their opinion and not have to argue about it. I just want to say that I think filling in the ghost voice in the harmonies is an issue of taste I guess. Some would say he effectively fills the harmonies some would say he doesn’t. I personally think he does a good job but I’m not here to argue that point. Is the word “ghost” the word you don’t like? I can understand being upset at referring him to that way. It was insensitive both as it undermines Glenn’s role in the harmonies and for referring to him as a ghost

If you want to put it that way. I know you think he fills the gap. I'm not going over that again. But not only does the choice of words grate in relation to harmony singing, it also ignores how many lead vocals Glenn sang. As if that doesn't matter. As if, as you yourself have indicated on numerous occasions, as if anyone could sing those songs & nobody will notice the difference.

YoungEaglesFan
11-16-2017, 12:37 AM
If you want to put it that way. I know you think he fills the gap. I'm not going over that again. But not only does the choice of words grate in relation to harmony singing, it also ignores how many lead vocals Glenn sang. As if that doesn't matter. As if, as you yourself have indicated on numerous occasions, as if anyone could sing those songs & nobody will notice the difference.

I didn’t think about the lead vocal part of that my bad. I personally think Gill does a better job replacing Glenn in the harmonies than in the lead vocal role. At this point I’d rather have Deacon do all Glenn leads and have Gill do TITTL and harmonies.

chaim
11-16-2017, 09:35 AM
I noticed today one thing that bothers me about the situation. This is probably going to irritate "both parties", but I've always felt that although Timothy is a great musician, he also got a bit of a "free ride" in terms of the Eagles's recorded legacy. But today most people probably think he's always been there. (I respect Timothy very much for thanking Randy in his HOF speech) I don't mean that he hasn't worked his butt off, I mean that today he's probably associated with all Eagles music. Now that Glenn has been "replaced", I feel that it strengthens Timothy's place in the Eagles - as an "original Eagle" when he's seen with Deacon and Vince. And Joe...He wasn't on the first four albums, but now he's one of the "real Eagles" with two new guys. (Neither one appears on the first GH album) I realize I may be paranoid, but I just feel that now that the "boss" (and one of the two long-standing founding members) is no longer there, the people who joined later are now seen as "THE Eagles". I guess it comes back to the legacy talk - and who's associated with the records in the future.

maryc2130
11-16-2017, 12:09 PM
Maybe I'm missing your point, Chaim, but Joe has been an Eagle for over 40 years; Timothy almost that long. Why wouldn't they be considered Eagles as much as Bernie or Randy?

BillBailey1976
11-16-2017, 02:27 PM
Randy and Bernie were there 6 and 4 years respectively. Joe and Tim have been around since the original run....plus, the entire resumption...and now part of the re-incarnation? for lack of a better word.

I think that Glenn and Don made a clear statement in 1994 when they asked Joe and Tim to be part of the resumption and not Randy and Bernie. They had the choice. There was no rule that said it had to be the band as it existed when they broke up...because we all know that the band that existed when they broke up, really didn't exist anymore when they got back together.

I think questioning legacy is a bit of a moot point. People who care about legacy know....and people who don't care about that sort of thing, could care less. Glenn and Don never made a point of reminding people that Tim and Joe weren't original members....so why would it be a big deal now?

Brooke
11-16-2017, 05:12 PM
I don't like to argue either, so I will continue to just pretty much ignore what is now going on. I'm not interested. I can't help it. My favorite band died with Glenn.

I'm shocked they are continuing to tour next year. Evidently these guys want to continue to play together as much as possible. I would think they would like to quit this and go do something themselves, which I would be in favor of.

Remember back during Farewell 1 how they looked like they were miserable sometimes? And barely spoke to one another? Somehow they turned that around and were actually enjoying themselves by the time of HotE. I think now that Glenn is gone it's all just a money grab.

As for a new album? They couldn't tolerate each other to make LROOE together in the same room. How could they do that now? Boggles my mind!

Dawn
11-16-2017, 05:28 PM
I don't like to argue either, so I will continue to just pretty much ignore what is now going on. I'm not interested. I can't help it. My favorite band died with Glenn.

I'm shocked they are continuing to tour next year. Evidently these guys want to continue to play together as much as possible. I would think they would like to quit this and go do something themselves, which I would be in favor of.

Remember back during Farewell 1 how they looked like they were miserable sometimes? And barely spoke to one another? Somehow they turned that around and were actually enjoying themselves by the time of HotE. I think now that Glenn is gone it's all just a money grab.

As for a new album? They couldn't tolerate each other to make LROOE together in the same room. How could they do that now? Boggles my mind!

This^^^^^

sodascouts
11-16-2017, 07:01 PM
I would think they would like to quit this and go do something themselves

Creatively, sure. But the solo shows don't bring in the cash like the "Eagles."

If they wanted to play together, they could do so without calling themselves the "Eagles." Even if one wants to believe they find playing together more creatively rewarding than making music solo, I seriously doubt that 40-50 dates have been planned simply because they just rejoice in each other's company THAT MUCH. These men have families, after all.

I wonder if Azoff deliberately booked Henley in bigger venues than he could fill last year to help convince him he needed to continue the band. "Look at all the empty seats. No one wants to see you solo. Restart the 'Eagles' and just tell everyone that you were in shock when you said that continuing the Eagles without Glenn would be 'greedy' and 'desperate'." Just speculation, of course, but he was playing several ridiculously large venues that he didn't have a chance of filling as a solo act... one has to ask why.

But then again, perhaps I'm being foolishly elaborate with my little theory. Henley was offered a great deal of money. Such psychological manipulation was probably not necessary. Maybe they booked the larger venues to have more first row seats to sell at a premium price or something... it was just a thought that occurred to me.

As for a new album? They couldn't tolerate each other to make LROOE together in the same room. How could they do that now? Boggles my mind!Bet if they do a new album, they don't even see each other's faces more than a couple times during the entire process. All sound files, digital media, and remote communications. UGH, a so-called Eagles album without Glenn is horrible to contemplate.

EagleInKansas
11-16-2017, 07:24 PM
It may have been an unfortunate usage, but "ghost harmony" is, I believe, a widely used term.

Freypower
11-16-2017, 08:03 PM
It may have been an unfortunate usage, but "ghost harmony" is, I believe, a widely used term.

Is it? Perhaps you could provide some information on it,then. I have just looked it up & found nothing relating to what was discussed.

Funk 50
11-16-2017, 08:40 PM
Joe often refers to the "ghost harmony" when talking about vocals. It's the harmony part that you can't really distinguish, Joe would describe it as the part you can't hear but iis an essential part of the sound.

I believe the band have been rejigging which parts of the harmony they sing, to make the best of their current pool of vocal talent.

I'm no fan of Vince but I'm hoping that he'll inspire Eagles to make a new record. Part Of The Plan is a helluva whimper to go out on. :sigh:

Freypower
11-16-2017, 09:30 PM
Joe often refers to the "ghost harmony" when talking about vocals. It's the harmony part that you can't really distinguish, Joe would describe it as the part you can't hear but iis an essential part of the sound.

I believe the band have been rejigging which parts of the harmony they sing, to make the best of their current pool of vocal talent.

I'm no fan of Vince but I'm hoping that he'll inspire Eagles to make a new record. Part Of The Plan is a helluva whimper to go out on. :sigh:

Glenn Frey's harmonies were not 'inaudible'. Nice of you to say that they were essential, though. Very generous of you. :nausea:

Of course they have to 'rejig' their harmonies. That goes without saying. They'll never fill the gap, no matter what they do. In my opinion.

YoungEaglesFan
11-16-2017, 09:37 PM
Glenn Frey's harmonies were not 'inaudible'. Nice of you to say that they were essential, though. Very generous of you. :nausea:

Of course they have to 'rejig' their harmonies. That goes without saying. They'll never fill the gap, no matter what they do. In my opinion.

I had always trouble hearing Glenn in the harmonies. I find Tim and Randy easy to distinguish and usually Don. I think Glenn blends in well. I notice his voice on NMWITW pretty well. But in LITFL and HC I can’t pick out his voice.

DiscoStrangler
11-16-2017, 10:26 PM
In reading various comments on here, I guess I don't see why some have so much hatred for the fact that the Eagles have continued on without Glenn. I'm glad I got to see them in Louisville on the mini tour. I never had the opportunity when Glenn was alive, and for my money, this was the next best thing. People are getting bent out of shape that they have the audacity to go on with Deacon and Vince, they're selling out shows. They'll sell out every show on this tour more than likely. It's not like they're Chicago or The Doobie Brothers, who are brands at this point that continue to tour year after year with a couple of original members left. And for those arguing (and afraid of their legacy, which is absurd) at the fact that Joe and Timothy aren't original members, they've been members far longer than Bernie or Randy. I'm more bothered by their sound changing so much from what it was years ago.

That being said, I was surprised to hear that they're doing a full-blown tour, teaming up with Jimmy Buffet, no less. Buffet has a huge fanbase, but his stuff all sounds the same to me. I just never understood the love for Buffet, I guess. This combination seems weird to me.

I do think Don shouldn't have been so quick to say they probably wouldn't play anymore so quickly after Glenn died, when it's now turned to this. It all comes down to $$$. If he can continue to milk the Eagles for all that it's worth, that's what he's going to do. He's proven that. Might as well enjoy the music rather than complain about it, because they're going to keep going whether the hardcore fan base likes it or not.

chaim
11-16-2017, 11:11 PM
I wasn't expecting people to get my point. (which wasn't as simple as not being original members) It's hard to explain what I mean. And it's not worth trying again. And like I said, it's only how I feel. I wasn't stating a fact. Therefore I'm not saying I'm right.

Freypower
11-16-2017, 11:30 PM
I had always trouble hearing Glenn in the harmonies. I find Tim and Randy easy to distinguish and usually Don. I think Glenn blends in well. I notice his voice on NMWITW pretty well. But in LITFL and HC I can’t pick out his voice.

Lilsten to the title line of LITFL. That is Glenn. You seem to forget that song barely has any harmonies.

In HC I assume he's singing part of the harmonies in the chorus.

Regardless it seems rather unfair to pick out two songs where there aren't that many harmonies to make a case that Glenn is hard to hear in them.

At this point I am banging my head against a brick wall. I already know your views on the subject of Glenn's vocals. You stick to them and I will stick to mine.

Dawn
11-16-2017, 11:30 PM
Creatively, sure. But the solo shows don't bring in the cash like the "Eagles."

If they wanted to play together, they could do so without calling themselves the "Eagles." Even if one wants to believe they find playing together more creatively rewarding than making music solo, I seriously doubt that 40-50 dates have been planned simply because they just rejoice in each other's company THAT MUCH. These men have families, after all.

I wonder if Azoff deliberately booked Henley in bigger venues than he could fill last year to help convince him he needed to continue the band. "Look at all the empty seats. No one wants to see you solo. Restart the 'Eagles' and just tell everyone that you were in shock when you said that continuing the Eagles without Glenn would be 'greedy' and 'desperate'." Just speculation, of course, but he was playing several ridiculously large venues that he didn't have a chance of filling as a solo act... one has to ask why.

But then again, perhaps I'm being foolishly elaborate with my little theory. Henley was offered a great deal of money. Such psychological manipulation was probably not necessary. Maybe they booked the larger venues to have more first row seats to sell at a premium price or something... it was just a thought that occurred to me.

Bet if they do a new album, they don't even see each other's faces more than a couple times during the entire process. All sound files, digital media, and remote communications. UGH, a so-called Eagles album without Glenn is horrible to contemplate .

Yes it is.

Freypower
11-16-2017, 11:32 PM
In reading various comments on here, I guess I don't see why some have so much hatred for the fact that the Eagles have continued on without Glenn. I'm glad I got to see them in Louisville on the mini tour. I never had the opportunity when Glenn was alive, and for my money, this was the next best thing. People are getting bent out of shape that they have the audacity to go on with Deacon and Vince, they're selling out shows. They'll sell out every show on this tour more than likely. It's not like they're Chicago or The Doobie Brothers, who are brands at this point that continue to tour year after year with a couple of original members left. And for those arguing (and afraid of their legacy, which is absurd) at the fact that Joe and Timothy aren't original members, they've been members far longer than Bernie or Randy. I'm more bothered by their sound changing so much from what it was years ago.

That being said, I was surprised to hear that they're doing a full-blown tour, teaming up with Jimmy Buffet, no less. Buffet has a huge fanbase, but his stuff all sounds the same to me. I just never understood the love for Buffet, I guess. This combination seems weird to me.

I do think Don shouldn't have been so quick to say they probably wouldn't play anymore so quickly after Glenn died, when it's now turned to this. It all comes down to $$$. If he can continue to milk the Eagles for all that it's worth, that's what he's going to do. He's proven that. Might as well enjoy the music rather than complain about it, because they're going to keep going whether the hardcore fan base likes it or not.

I reserve my right to complain. Once again, the people who object to this are being told to be silent.

chaim
11-16-2017, 11:39 PM
I reserve my right to complain. Once again, the people who object to this are being told to be silent.

Although this one thread was supposed to be the one place where such views are allowed to be expressed.

Freypower
11-16-2017, 11:40 PM
Although this one thread was supposed to be the one place where such views are allowed to be expressed.

Indeed.

DiscoStrangler
11-16-2017, 11:46 PM
If you want to complain, more power to you. Like I said, they're going to keep going apparently no matter if you like it or not. Doesn't make it right. It's just a fact.

chaim
11-16-2017, 11:48 PM
If you want to complain, more power to you. Like I said, they're going to keep going apparently no matter if you like it or not. Doesn't make it right. It's just a fact.

Thank you for saying this. Everyone already knew it though.

Dawn
11-17-2017, 01:18 AM
No one is claiming the band doesn't have the right to do what they want.

But that doesn't mean they are exempt from criticism. Or complaints.

YoungEaglesFan
11-17-2017, 01:55 AM
Lilsten to the title line of LITFL. That is Glenn. You seem to forget that song barely has any harmonies.

Regardless it seems rather unfair to pick out two songs where there aren't that many harmonies to make a case that Glenn is hard to hear in them.

At this point I am banging my head against a brick wall. I already know your views on the subject of Glenn's vocals. You stick to them and I will stick to mine.

No I just mean I can’t personally pick his voice out a lot. Not that I pick out many voices in the harmonies that often anyway. Unless he sings lead I don’t hear his individual part well. Besides that I don’t think you understand how much I appreciate his voice but that’s ok I don’t want to argue about it

YoungEaglesFan
11-17-2017, 01:59 AM

What harmonies do you hear Glenn well on? This question could be open to anyone. I just don’t hear it well

New Kid In Town
11-17-2017, 02:21 AM
Well YEF, I have to say I think Glenn's backing vocals have always been the most prominent in all their songs. Look at the Capital Center Concert - you can hear it loud and clear. The same goes for all the other videos up on you tube. Yes, he blends in, but he is usually the easiest in MHO to hear and pick out. And that goes for every song he sings harmony/backing vocals in.

Dawn
11-17-2017, 04:58 AM
Well YEF, I have to say I think Glenn's backing vocals have always been the most prominent in all their songs. Look at the Capital Center Concert - you can hear it loud and clear. The same goes for all the other videos up on you tube. Yes, he blends in, but he is usually the easiest in MHO to hear and pick out. And that goes for every song he sings harmony/backing vocals in.

Thanks NKIT I'm afraid I tend to focus more on Glenn's superb lead vocals I just find his passionate emotive style of telling a story through a song so compelling I forget all about his backing vocals and harmonizing.

Funk 50
11-17-2017, 06:12 AM
Glenn Frey's harmonies were not 'inaudible'.

Yes! which leads me to believe that Joe was not refering to Glenn. :shrug:

BillBailey1976
11-17-2017, 06:30 AM

There is a version of HC, the "LA Long Run" bootleg, where Don loses his mic or it cuts out and you can hear Glenn pretty much over everybody else singing in the "Living it up at the Hotel California" part. Its actually interesting to hear, because he sings that line just a bit of different emphasis than Henley.

chaim
11-17-2017, 10:31 AM
What harmonies do you hear Glenn well on? This question could be open to anyone. I just don’t hear it well

There are three people singing the lines "Short people are just the same as you and I" and "All men are...", but Glenn's is the only one I recognize - almost to the point that it sounds like "one big Glenn" to me. Maybe it's because of the mix, I don't know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrjStSqu_w4

EagleInKansas
11-17-2017, 11:44 AM
From what I could gather, the ghost harmony is the part that is third from the top, probably exactly where Glenn would fit in, after Tim and Don. I don't think Vince's voice is quite as conducive for that part, however.

WalshFan88
11-17-2017, 02:10 PM

That's never stopped me before. lol

Just staying quiet and complacent doesn't work for me. I'm not a mouse that's going to stay in my little shoebox because there is a big tom cat waiting for me outside.

chaim
11-17-2017, 02:45 PM
That's never stopped me before. lol

Just staying quiet and complacent doesn't work for me. I'm not a mouse that's going to stay in my little shoebox because there is a big tom cat waiting for me outside.

I believe the recent criticisms were addressed to me. I don't remember talking much about how I feel about the current band situation - in fact I haven't even given it much thought. (I don't think about the Eagles that often.) The Joe interview got me thinking about it. I'm not going to talk about it any further and I realize people have said similar things before. I was talking more to people who don't like the current situation. I have no interest in fighting about it with anyone. I said what I had in mind and that's it. How I feel might change in the future to something more "acceptable".

WalshFan88
11-17-2017, 02:47 PM
I believe the recent criticisms were addressed to me. I don't remember talking much about how I feel about the current band situation - in fact I haven't even given it much thought. (I don't think about the Eagles that often.) The Joe interview got me thinking about it. I'm not going to talk about it any further and I realize people have said similar things before. I was talking more to people who don't like the current situation. I have no interest in fighting about it with anyone. I said what I had in mind and that's it. How I feel might change in the future to something more "acceptable".

Oh I know, I just felt the need to make a comment about the "you should keep quiet, you won't stop them" vibe I got from DiscoStrangler's post. I was more talking about the current situation, which I will never just "accept because I can't control it".

WalshFan88
11-17-2017, 02:59 PM
As far as Chaim's post about Tim and Joe, I can kind of see where it's coming from. The interview was, even as a Joe fan, majorly off-putting to those of us against this thing and to those who were Glenn fans. I am disappointed with Joe, for sure. And Tim as well.

For me, the fact that Joe isn't on Greatest Hits doesn't bother me. I consider Hotel California to be the best work they've ever done. I'm not a country rock guy. The first two albums did very little for me. I'm not a Bernie fan. I respect him as a player, but that style is not for me. I'm all classic rock all the time and I'll take a song like Victim Of Love any day over something like Tequila Sunrise. I feel the addition of Joe made them even bigger and without Joe, I have a strong feeling they wouldn't be quite as highly known or respected. Known, yes, and for those that like their early music, sure. But the addition of Joe made them a supergroup, where Joe and the Eagles were better together than apart. Joe with the Eagles is stronger than Joe solo and the Eagles with Joe is stronger than the Eagles without Joe/with Bernie. Some of his James Gang/solo fans hate that he joined the Eagles but I'll take Hotel California and The Long Run over any Joe material, and I'm sorry but that's just the way it is. And I'll take Hotel California and The Long Run over the first 4 records combined any day. That's just me.

As far as Tim, I respect Tim and I like his playing. ICTYW is an amazing song and great vocalist. It's tough for me because my two favorite records have two different bassists on them so it's hard for me to choose. I think Tim has paid his dues with the band, but I also understand the fact that he wasn't on the majority of their 70s output. Again, the Greatest Hits thing doesn't bother me because I've always felt it was a bit overrated and I personally prefer to listen to GH2.

I see where you are coming from Chaim, but as someone who mostly likes the last two Eagles albums from the 70s, I have to say I feel like they've earned it.

chaim
11-17-2017, 03:46 PM
I wasn't talking about my personal opinions about the music or the quality of it. I'd respect Joe a hell of a lot even for his keyboard work in NKIT alone. Genius stuff from a guitar player. I was talking more about quantity than quality. When people hear studio versions of Eagles music, a lot of the time they don't hear Joe and/or Timothy, but because of the current situation the "masses" may start to think that all the classic material is Don, Joe and Timothy - now that Glenn is no longer there as one of the two originals. I realize that my "fear" may have no basis in reality, it's just how I feel at the moment. And like I said, it may change. What Joe and Timothy have done in the Eagles they have done amazingly well, no question about that.

YoungEaglesFan
11-17-2017, 04:20 PM

I’m just saying personally I have trouble picking it out, not that it’s glenn fault. I don’t hear Glenn well In that concert.

New Kid In Town
11-17-2017, 04:55 PM
I’m just saying personally I have trouble picking it out, not that it’s glenn fault. I don’t hear Glenn well In that concert.

Well, I don't know what to say. I personally have never had a problem hearing or picking out Glenn's vocals. Not trying to argue with you, I'm just saying I have always been able to hear him singing.

YoungEaglesFan
11-17-2017, 05:01 PM
Well, I don't know what to say. I personally have never had a problem hearing or picking out Glenn's vocals. Not trying to argue with you, I'm just saying I have always been able to hear him singing.

Take seven bridges road for example. I bet nearly no one knew that 1/4-1/3 of his lines are Don singing. You just can’t tell. His part isn’t noticeable enough because he blends in. You can hear Both don’s parts and Timothy better than joe and Glenn. I can hear him in TITTL but not OOTN and BOML. I think the fact you can’t distinguish is a good thing

chaim
11-17-2017, 05:07 PM
Take seven bridges road for example. I bet nearly no one knew that 1/4-1/3 of his lines are Don singing. You just can’t tell. His part isn’t noticeable enough because he blends in. You can hear Both don’s parts and Timothy better than joe and Glenn. I can hear him in TITTL but not OOTN and BOML. I think the fact you can’t distinguish is a good thing

You already said that you personally don't recognize Glenn's voice in the harmonies ("I’m just saying personally I have trouble picking it out"), so why do you still insist that no one does? Why can't you just accept that New Kid In Town does instead of trying to prove you're right???

As for SBR, it could be a matter of psychology. When you hear Glenn for the most of the song, your brain may "correct" the few overdubs that aren't him.

New Kid In Town
11-17-2017, 05:08 PM

YEF - I don't know what to tell you - I can hear him in SBR as well as every song he sings. Sorry if that's not what you want to hear but, I can pick out Glenn's voice in every song without a problem. I'm not trying or going to argue about this - it's silly. You say you can't hear him and I say I can. End of the argument as far as I am concerned. There are far more important things going on this world then for me to argue over than this.

YoungEaglesFan
11-17-2017, 05:23 PM
YEF - I don't know what to tell you - I can hear him in SBR as well as every song he sings. Sorry if that's not what you want to hear but, I can pick out Glenn's voice in every song without a problem. I'm not trying or going to argue about this - it's silly. You say you can't hear him and I say I can. End of the argument as far as I am concerned. There are far more important things going on this world then for me to argue over than this.

No my point was if his part was easy to hear then we would all know that Don overdubs on Glenn’s parts but that’s not something most people know or could notice from the record

Freypower
11-17-2017, 05:34 PM
I must apologise for raising this issue of Glenn's harmonies. I might have known the 7BR issue would be raised. Unitl a couple of weeks ago I didn't even know about that. I had thought that what I thought was Glenn's part WAS easy to hear. How wrong I apparently was. I am now being asked to use it as the gold standard for whether or not Glenn's harmonies can be heard. I am not, like others here, going to recite chapter & verse of where he can be clearly heard singing harmonies, but I will mention that in two of the further examples given - OOTN & BOML - he can be heard throughout, and prominently.

Oh, and Toni, amen about not only Short People, but Rider In The Rain, although Henley can also be heard on that track.

I repeat that in my opinion Walsh's statement that Gill was filling in the 'ghost harmony' was insensitive, and it upset me. As I believe someone else said, if they continue to claim Glenn has not been relplaced, they are lying. He has been replaced.

New Kid In Town
11-17-2017, 05:45 PM
FP - Amen ! Joe's comment was insensitive and it upset me too. Some of Tim's comments have not been the nicest either. No matter what they try to say, they have replaced Glenn. Even Sirius Radio has a picture of "the new Eagles" when advertising the HC 40 th Anniversary. How crazy is that !

Scarlet Sun
11-17-2017, 07:16 PM
I can't pick out Glenn's part in the harmonies most of the time either, even though I know it's there. Mostly Don H or Randy/Timothy. I never that knew that there was a third part on OOTN until I listened to it through headphones. I guess that higher parts always grab my attention much easier

Dawn
11-17-2017, 07:39 PM
FP - Amen ! Joe's comment was insensitive and it upset me too. Some of Tim's comments have not been the nicest either. No matter what they try to say, they have replaced Glenn. Even Sirius Radio has a picture of "the new Eagles" when advertising the HC 40 th Anniversary. How crazy is that!

Very crazy.

YoungEaglesFan
11-18-2017, 12:02 AM
I apologize for sidetracking the thread. I just don’t pick his voice out. Him and Joe I don’t hear well on harmonies. Randy is really easy to hear because of his parts. I know a lot of people hear Glenn parts but on BOML and OOTN I don’t. Which is funny because In the capitol centre there’s that scene of Glenn where he is just so intense and giving his all into singing those high harmonies in the outro. But again I’m sorry for turning this thread into a separate issue

chaim
11-18-2017, 03:57 AM
FP - Amen ! Joe's comment was insensitive and it upset me too. Some of Tim's comments have not been the nicest either. No matter what they try to say, they have replaced Glenn. Even Sirius Radio has a picture of "the new Eagles" when advertising the HC 40 th Anniversary. How crazy is that !

An example of what I "fear" might happen in the future. Wrong people will be associated with the recorded Eagles music. Or more to the point, Glenn will not be associated with it. I didn't expect media to start that though, just general public. But I have pretty much tried to express how I feel now. If it bothers people how I happen to feel, then it does. I won't be repeating it over and over again.

But it's weirder in the Kiss world where even young fans may not know who was there before. Thayer and Singer sign their names over Frehley's and Criss's faces on album covers all the time.

Annoying Twit
11-18-2017, 04:50 AM
In an interview with 'new' members of Kiss, they do claim that 99.99% of their fans are aware of the history of the band, that Thayer and Singer weren't the original guitarist and drummer: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/alternate-kisstory-tommy-thayer-eric-singer-bruce-kulick-speak-out-20140531

chaim
11-18-2017, 06:23 AM
In an interview with 'new' members of Kiss, they do claim that 99.99% of their fans are aware of the history of the band, that Thayer and Singer weren't the original guitarist and drummer: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/alternate-kisstory-tommy-thayer-eric-singer-bruce-kulick-speak-out-20140531

The band doesn't try to lie that T & S are the original guys (Stanley often mentions Tommy's name in concerts), but occasionally even the media seems to be confused because of the makeup. What the Kiss guys say in interviews can't be trusted, because they always say whatever supports their current thing. That doesn't mean the 99,99% isn't true. I just find it a bit worrying that they sign their names over the other guys' pictures for young fans.

But why I mention Kiss in this context is that I go to that forum a lot and a slightly similar lineup "issue" can be found there. But I have no fear that Deacon will be signing over his dad's photo. :rofl:

BillBailey1976
11-18-2017, 06:46 AM
I have thought about the "replacing" Glenn thing for some time. If I can relate this to something a bit more understandable, I'd relate it like this.
Your spouse dies. Can you "replace" your spouse. In one sense. If you remarry, you have a new spouse. They are legally your spouse, they do all the things that spouses do. Does that mean you replace "Mary"? No. You can never do that. You have shared experiences and memories and videos and pictures with her that you'll never have with "Susie". Does that mean that people who have only known you for a few years might assume that you and Susie have been married for years? yes. But people who've known you for a long time, understand.
We can't begrudge someone remarrying after the death of a spouse anymore than we can a group carrying on after a member dies. Do you have to like it? No. Do you have to accept it? No. but it's the way things are. There are a lot of people who don't like or accept someone's new spouse. That doesn't mean it was wrong for them to remarry, or that they are doing something that shouldn't be done.
If you look at Don's initial comments after Glenn's passing, I think you see something that you'd see in a grieving widow/widower. Immediately after a spouse dies, if someone said, "hey are you going to get married again?" You're response would most likely be a resounding "no" or maybe an "are you crazy".....but as time passes you miss companionship. You miss the things you enjoyed most about a marriage....and you might decide that's what you'd like to do.

chaim
11-18-2017, 06:53 AM
A great point, but I don't think it's exactly the same. The ex-wife is out of the picture, but the music by the old lineups plays still on the radio every day - even when the band doesn't exist anymore. IMO it's not unreasonable to hope that it will never be forgotten who did the records that will always be heard. I'm not saying it will be forgotten, but at the moment I fear that it could be possible. I realize I could be dead wrong, so I won't keep saying this over and over again.

sodascouts
11-18-2017, 08:52 AM
They could play together without using the name "Eagles," BillBailey, if they wanted to "remarry."

But they insist on using the name so they can make more cash.

Thus, your analogy doesn't really work for me.

maryc2130
11-18-2017, 09:10 AM
I have thought about the "replacing" Glenn thing for some time. If I can relate this to something a bit more understandable, I'd relate it like this.
Your spouse dies. Can you "replace" your spouse. In one sense. If you remarry, you have a new spouse. They are legally your spouse, they do all the things that spouses do. Does that mean you replace "Mary"? No. You can never do that. You have shared experiences and memories and videos and pictures with her that you'll never have with "Susie". Does that mean that people who have only known you for a few years might assume that you and Susie have been married for years? yes. But people who've known you for a long time, understand.
We can't begrudge someone remarrying after the death of a spouse anymore than we can a group carrying on after a member dies. Do you have to like it? No. Do you have to accept it? No. but it's the way things are. There are a lot of people who don't like or accept someone's new spouse. That doesn't mean it was wrong for them to remarry, or that they are doing something that shouldn't be done.
If you look at Don's initial comments after Glenn's passing, I think you see something that you'd see in a grieving widow/widower. Immediately after a spouse dies, if someone said, "hey are you going to get married again?" You're response would most likely be a resounding "no" or maybe an "are you crazy".....but as time passes you miss companionship. You miss the things you enjoyed most about a marriage....and you might decide that's what you'd like to do.

I think that's a good analogy, Bill. I agree that no one can ever replace Glenn, and in my mind, the new Eagles aren't really the "true" Eagles. Still, they do make it work. The new harmonies are a little different, but they sound great.

Using the Eagles name is just Economics 101. Just because they want to make it a profitable venture doesn't mean it's a money grab. They employ a lot of people, and this way, they can play less shows and spend more time with their families and doing other things they want to do -- something which I'm sure is important to them at this time in their lives.

I've probably said this before, but I found it ironic (and possibly a little amusing) that Glenn's family, former band mates and at least some of his friends are enjoying this new tour/tribute to Glenn and even find it healing, yet some of his die-hard fans are dead-set against. I know, I know, to each his own...

sodascouts
11-18-2017, 09:12 AM
A great point, but I don't think it's exactly the same. The ex-wife is out of the picture, but the music by the old lineups plays still on the radio every day - even when the band doesn't exist anymore. IMO it's not unreasonable to hope that it will never be forgotten who did the records that will always be heard. I'm not saying it will be forgotten, but at the moment I fear that it could be possible. I realize I could be dead wrong, so I won't keep saying this over and over again.

I don't think this will happen. This band was defined by its 70s lineup, especially the HC one. In the grand scheme of things, once these few distasteful years are over, it's this lineup that will be forgotten.

I mean, look at the short shrift anything post 70s gets in Eagles discussions now in programs and magazines with pieces about the band. Do you expect that to change?

I suppose if anyone remembers that Vince Gill and Deacon sort-of joined the band in its latter days, it's true they might get confused and attribute some of Glenn's LROOE work to Vince Gill. That is an appalling thought I had not considered, and one more reason to loathe this venture.

However, that is not the same as Glenn being forgotten. I think you need not worry about that.

This too shall pass.

chaim
11-18-2017, 09:29 AM
According to Wikipedia the phrase "to each his own" means "every person is entitled to his or her personal preferences and tastes". Merriam-webster says it's "used to say that other people are free to like different things". I wish people wouldn't use the phrase to say in a condescending way "what a stupid opinion you have".

Soda, you're probably right. Perhaps The Orchestra is one of the reasons for my "fear". They have one member who was in ELO in the 70's (and one who helped with the orchestral arrangements, but wasn't in the band), but today many people think they see ELO when they see the band. They have no idea there was a person named Jeff Lynne who wrote, sang and produced all the songs. Often it even says "Electric Light Orchestra" in their ads.

maryc2130
11-18-2017, 11:44 AM
According to Wikipedia the phrase "to each his own" means "every person is entitled to his or her personal preferences and tastes". Merriam-webster says it's "used to say that other people are free to like different things". I wish people wouldn't use the phrase to say in a condescending way "what a stupid opinion you have".

Soda, you're probably right. Perhaps The Orchestra is one of the reasons for my "fear". They have one member who was in ELO in the 70's (and one who helped with the orchestral arrangements, but wasn't in the band), but today many people think they see ELO when they see the band. They have no idea there was a person named Jeff Lynne who wrote, sang and produced all the songs. Often it even says "Electric Light Orchestra" in their ads.

I meant the phrase "to each own" in the way I have highlighted in your post. If I inferred that anyone's opinion(s) were stupid, I apologize. I certainly didn't mean to infer that. In fact, it was a reminder to myself that everyone is different and has their own opinions and tastes. (Thankfully, or the world would be pretty boring!)

Do I agree with those opinions? No. Do I understand them? No. (Which is why I think I have trouble stopping myself from posting about them.) Do I respect them? Yes, definitely.

I am very sad and angry about something else in my life right now, so I apologize if some of that seeped into my above post.

chaim
11-18-2017, 11:59 AM
I meant the phrase "to each own" in the way I have highlighted in your post. If I inferred that anyone's opinion(s) were stupid, I apologize. I certainly didn't mean to infer that. In fact, it was a reminder to myself that everyone is different and has their own opinions and tastes. (Thankfully, or the world would be pretty boring!)

Do I agree with those opinions? No. Do I understand them? No. (Which is why I think I have trouble stopping myself from posting about them.) Do I respect them? Yes, definitely.

I am very sad and angry about something else in my life right now, so I apologize if some of that seeped into my above post.

Ok, no problem. I think it was the "I know, I know" part I reacted to. I have no issues with you - certainly not because you don't understand some of my opinions or "concerns". I hope that whatever is wrong in your life at the moment will be alright.

YoungEaglesFan
11-18-2017, 12:08 PM
You already said that you personally don't recognize Glenn's voice in the harmonies ("I’m just saying personally I have trouble picking it out"), so why do you still insist that no one does? Why can't you just accept that New Kid In Town does instead of trying to prove you're right???

As for SBR, it could be a matter of psychology. When you hear Glenn for the most of the song, your brain may "correct" the few overdubs that aren't him.

I wasn’t trying to prove I’m right. I don’t know why every time I talk on here it turns into some argument about who is right when all I’m trying to do is just have a conversation

chaim
11-18-2017, 12:18 PM
I wasn’t trying to prove I’m right. I don’t know why every time I talk on here it turns into some argument about who is right when all I’m trying to do is just have a conversation

I'm sorry if you feel that way...It's just that the back-and-forth had already been going on between you and New Kid In Town. NKIT had said a couple of times that he/she can recognize Glenn. The last post from NKIT on the issue:

"Well, I don't know what to say. I personally have never had a problem hearing or picking out Glenn's vocals. Not trying to argue with you, I'm just saying I have always been able to hear him singing."

Instead of accepting that NKIT can recognize Glenn you still say (my underlining):

"Take seven bridges road for example. I bet nearly no one knew that 1/4-1/3 of his lines are Don singing. You just can’t tell. His part isn’t noticeable enough because he blends in. You can hear Both don’s parts and Timothy better than joe and Glenn. I can hear him in TITTL but not OOTN and BOML. I think the fact you can’t distinguish is a good thing."

Instead of saying "I just can't tell" you still say "you", like no one can. IMO it shouldn't be an issue. Some people can hear Glenn in the harmonies, some can't, fine. Simple as that. I have no clue why people should argue about it.

New Kid In Town
11-18-2017, 12:19 PM
YEF - We don't want to argue either. The problem is you go on and on and on about not being able to pick Glenn out when others have said they can and make it sound like an argument. You can't hear him in backing vocals, others can. And, that's fine. Perhaps moving on to another topic would be better. This topic has probably been run through the mill enough.

YoungEaglesFan
11-18-2017, 12:30 PM
YEF - We don't want to argue either. The problem is you go on and on and on about not being able to pick Glenn out when others have said they can and make it sound like an argument. You can't hear him in backing vocals, others can. And, that's fine. Perhaps moving on to another topic would be better. This topic has probably been run through the mill enough.

All I said was I had trouble hearing him. I tried to point out that’s it not easy to do so. All of this stemmed from the fact that when I said it was hard to hear Glenn (which I’m apparently wrong about) it turned into me hating Glenn which is not the truth

chaim
11-18-2017, 12:36 PM
Personally I got your point abound blending in etc. and wasn't thinking you "hate" Glenn. But the discussion was going nowhere. To me it looked like New Kid In Town's comments about the issue apparently had no value whatsoever. (I see now we are arguing about arguing. :lol:)

New Kid In Town
11-18-2017, 12:50 PM
YEF - I never said you hate Glenn. I don't know how me saying I have no problem hearing Glenn turns into me or perhaps others saying you hate Glenn. I understand what you said when you say you can't hear his backing vocals. Others, including myself, have said they can. No big deal. I was only responding to your comments about not hearing him. I hope this clarifies everything.

YoungEaglesFan
11-18-2017, 01:01 PM
YEF - I never said you hate Glenn. I don't know how me saying I have no problem hearing Glenn turns into me or perhaps others saying you hate Glenn. I understand what you said when you say you can't hear his backing vocals. Others, including myself, have said they can. No big deal. I was only responding to your comments about not hearing him. I hope this clarifies everything.

That is true I shouldn’t have put them in one basket. I was just saying I only got down this path because of some things others were saying. I apologize

New Kid In Town
11-18-2017, 01:17 PM
YEF - Apology accepted.

sodascouts
11-18-2017, 02:04 PM
I don’t know why every time I talk on here it turns into some argument about who is right when all I’m trying to do is just have a conversation
It is because you have a confrontational posting style, making declarative controversial statements and then acting as if you don't understand why anyone would disagree with them. Then, when people do, you refuse to let it go. Every time someone disagrees, you reply with a stubborn restatement of what you already said, usually accompanied by a complaint about how you're being treated or a claim that you don't want to argue, and you do it every. single. time. After a while you apologize, maybe, but what's the point if you're just going to do it again? You remind me very much of another poster we used to have... very much indeed. :unimpressed:

If you really just want to have a conversation, if you really mean what you say, if you're really not trying to stir the pot... then you'll change your behavior.

Prove that you mean that apology, YEF. Change your ways.

priscillaupstate
11-20-2017, 07:06 PM
Not sure if this is the correct place to post this but this is in today's NY Daily News

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/confidential/glenn-frey-son-deacon-joins-eagles-new-tour-sources-article-1.3646375

Dawn
11-20-2017, 11:12 PM
Thanks Pricellaupstate!

So in addition to a potential 40-50 city tour next year there are plans for "... some kind of world tour at the end of the decade to run over a couple of years."

Will Vince be on board too, I guess we will know more when they make their formal announcement.

sodascouts
11-20-2017, 11:20 PM
The NY Daily News is pretty lame, so it'll be interesting to see what a more reputable news source says - one whose first line doesn't refer to "Glen Frey."

In other words, is this anything new, or is this just more of the same... that Deacon will be touring with them, and that they plan to keep going as long as they can physically drag themselves out onto the stage and croak out the vocals.

YoungEaglesFan
11-20-2017, 11:43 PM
Thanks Pricellaupstate!

So in addition to a potential 40-50 city tour next year there are plans for "... some kind of world tour at the end of the decade to run over a couple of years."

Will Vince be on board too, I guess we will know more when they make their formal announcement.

That’s crazy to me that they would do a world tour near the end of the decade. I do get doing some international stuff as they have only done events in the states but a couple years from now I’m not sure how well they will be able to do it anymore. Don talks about wanting to travel with his kids so maybe he wants to do it through the Eagles? Who knows. I remember asking my dad to get tickets to the classic east thinking it would be the final concert they would preform. How wrong I was!

New Kid In Town
11-21-2017, 12:51 AM
I don't even know what to say to this. Playing till they are 75? Will they have the energy and will their voices last another five years? I'm surprised that Deacon would want to spend another five years doing this instead of exploring other venues with musicians his own age. Where does this leave Vince and his career ? This just sounds crazy to me.

sodascouts
11-21-2017, 01:30 AM
Deacon is basically foregoing having his own identity for several years, singing his father's songs, playing his father's music, living his father's life...but he'll be well compensated. He obviously thinks it's worth it.

Vince hasn't had much of a solo career, so it's no great loss to give it up for the so-called Eagles if he doesn't mind playing second fiddle... And it appears he doesn't.

WalshFan88
11-21-2017, 01:33 AM
Deacon is basically foregoing having his own identity for several years, singing his father's songs, playing his father's music, living his father's life...but he'll be well compensated. He obviously thinks it's worth it.

Vince hasn't had much of a solo career, so it's no great loss to give it up for the Eagles if he doesn't mind playing second fiddle... And it appears he doesn't.

That's basically how I see it.

YoungEaglesFan
11-21-2017, 01:56 AM
Do you guys think Deacon is talented enough to go on his own and do his own thing? I think he’s pretty good but not he’s not the star his dad was. I think it’s a wise decision from his end as he can improve himself for a couple years get some more recognition before he decides to go on his own. I’m also afraid the music the Eagles play isn’t exactly mainstream anymore so if he likes the stuff the Eagles play, finding a market to grow might be hard. It’s a tough but exciting place for him to be

Annoying Twit
11-21-2017, 03:55 AM
Bit hesitant to post here, but this seems to be where the discussion is.

At present we know nothing of Deacon's songwriting ability. He can sing and play, but in terms of going out on his own he needs songs. There has been discussion in the past that many artists who don't write their own songs, e.g. in C&W.

I suspect that there will be a Deacon Frey album at some time. But, probably some time in the future. As said above, he has time to work on it.

chaim
11-21-2017, 04:22 AM
"The “Hotel California” hit makers". :grin: Well, true, Don and Joe are still there. Anyway, perhaps Deacon has plans for himself at the same time he's doing this. The Eagles thing isn't necessarily the only thing he's doing. An interview with him would help. Otherwise we can only speculate.

UndertheWire
11-21-2017, 07:10 AM
Taking a positive view, it seems that they must be all feeling in good health and capable of continuing for another four years.

(Of course, now the precedent has been set, they could continue without Timothy or Joe or even Don)

maryc2130
11-21-2017, 10:35 AM
Do you guys think Deacon is talented enough to go on his own and do his own thing? I think he’s pretty good but not he’s not the star his dad was. I think it’s a wise decision from his end as he can improve himself for a couple years get some more recognition before he decides to go on his own. I’m also afraid the music the Eagles play isn’t exactly mainstream anymore so if he likes the stuff the Eagles play, finding a market to grow might be hard. It’s a tough but exciting place for him to be

I'd like to see Deacon sing a song or two of his own at the concerts. I think it's been suggested before that maybe he could try to write with one or more of the other guys? He's got some good songwriters to learn from. If he doesn't seem to have much songwriting ability, it would be nice to see him sing a new song or two written by somebody else. Just MHO.

As to forgoing his life and living his father's, it's nice that people here make that conclusion about him. He obviously doesn't feel the same way. As you say, he's well compensated. Also, I'm sure he's learning a lot, and he's said that he finds it healing -- no small consideration when you've lost your dad at a fairly young age.

BillBailey1976
11-21-2017, 10:51 AM
He's still a very young man. He may very well be looking at these 4 or 5 years as an amazing internship. I mean how many musicians get to learn from, and play with the likes of Don Henley, Joe Walsh, and Vince Gill. Talk about different styles of music that you can just pick these guys brains about.
I don't see him foregoing anything. It's actually refreshing to see someone his age, capable of delayed gratification. It seems like he doesn't feel the need to act now, go now, do now. He's content to learn a craft, hone it...and will probably be better off for it.

sodascouts
11-21-2017, 11:33 AM
People forget that he was not even a professional musician before all this.

You can't expect him to be able to write songs just because he's Glenn Frey's son.

BlanketMan
11-21-2017, 12:18 PM

Vince hasn't had much of a solo career, so it's no great loss to give it up for the so-called Eagles if he doesn't mind playing second fiddle... And it appears he doesn't.

Maybe Gill and Frey are just having a ball touring/playing/singing as part of the Eagles. Doesn't seem like a bad gig to me.

carol7lynn
11-21-2017, 12:22 PM

Now all they need to do to sell the whole shebang is to "get the widow on the set!"

Stay Tuned!
🎼🎶🎵

UndertheWire
11-21-2017, 12:27 PM
I'm reminded of Glenn's explanations of going solo in the 80s. It was along the lines of needing to be in a group in your twenties but when you're in your thirties, it's time to set off on your own. He compared it to joining an established (legal?) practice until you're ready to set up your own practice.

If nothing else, Deacon will have learned that a musical career can last a life time. He will also have known many people who have had long careers in the business without ever becoming a star. Does anyone despise Steuart Smith, Scott Crago, Michael Thompson or any of the other musicians who play with the Eagles?

WalshFan88
11-21-2017, 12:38 PM
People forget that he was not even a professional musician before all this.

You can't expect him to be able to write songs just because he's Glenn Frey's son.

Exactly. I mean other than the times his dad ever brought him onstage, was he ever heavily into music to begin with? Especially "classic" music. He might have just learned to play and had other interests that he cared about more.

I don't think Deacon is the songwriting type, but we'll see. I'd much rather see him doing his own thing with a new group or solo than be a caricature of his dad. Or if there is an interest outside of music, go pursue that. Be your own person.

WalshFan88
11-21-2017, 12:43 PM
Maybe Gill and Frey are just having a ball touring/playing/singing as part of the Eagles. Doesn't seem like a bad gig to me.

Oh I'm sure they love it, no doubt.

That doesn't mean that others don't have a problem with it.

There's just something about Vince Gill's excitement for this that rubs me wrong, coming from a "friend" of Glenn's. As Soda said, I think his solo career wasn't as big as some might imagine and I think he would be more than willing to give it up to go be a pretend Eagle and ride on those coattails. Me, I think he's a good musician but I think his music is overrated and I think he wasn't as successful as others of his era. So I think he will latch on to anything to build himself up.

Deacon, I just really hope he will do his own thing. Music or otherwise. But standing in the shadows of your dad is not exactly healthy IMO. It looks bad.

EagleInKansas
11-21-2017, 12:54 PM
"It looks bad." To whom, exactly? Amazing that the critics are now turning on Deacon in the name of protecting your feelings toward Glenn. How warm and fuzzy, folks. I'm sure Glenn would be thrilled at the idea of throwing his son under the bus in his name. Keep it up. It looks GREAT.

chaim
11-21-2017, 12:55 PM
I think it's totally possible that "behind the scenes" Deacon is indeed doing something on his own. Just not on a grand scale.

YoungEaglesFan
11-21-2017, 12:56 PM
I agree with the others that I don’t think Deacon will forge his own path. I think he enjoys playing in the band and will do so for as long as they let him do it. I think that it’s fine for him to Ride on his dad’s legacy for a little while but once the band is done he should try to do his own thing in music or do whatever he wants that isn’t music related

chaim
11-21-2017, 01:42 PM
Deacon must have had thoughts about some kind of "path" of his own. What was he doing before his father passed away? Just sitting at home and practicing his father's guitar and vocal parts?

EDIT:

There may be a lot of stuff happening in Deacon's life in terms of work that we don't see - whether it's playing in a band of his own or delivering pizza. Not everything in one's life happens in the "Eagles scale". Maybe this Eagles thing does help the healing process.

sodascouts
11-21-2017, 02:28 PM
"It looks bad." To whom, exactly? Amazing that the critics are now turning on Deacon in the name of protecting your feelings toward Glenn. How warm and fuzzy, folks. I'm sure Glenn would be thrilled at the idea of throwing his son under the bus in his name. Keep it up. It looks GREAT.

Spare me the outrage. He's been treated with kid gloves around here since the beginning of all of this precisely because he's Glenn's son. The fact that a frank discussion about his lack of musical chops causes you to turn red in the face is a great example of the eggshells some expect us to walk upon when we talk about him.

You do realize that it's perfectly legitimate to discuss such things when you're talking about a musician, right?

Philh
11-21-2017, 02:33 PM
New interview with Don about the Eagles’ future and the HC re-release

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/don-henley-talks-hotel-california-reissue-eagles-future-w511253

Dawn
11-21-2017, 02:35 PM
Thanks Philh

What are your plans for 2018 – more touring, the studio?
There is nothing etched in stone. Deacon wants to start writing. I think our management is holding some venues, as managers are wont to do. Everyone is so tired from the last two years, what we've been through, that we need a break. After the holidays, as we have traditionally done, we will get together in January and talk about what we want to do – whether we want to do anything, how much we want to do, when to do it. As Glenn used to say, we run this band on a yearly basis. That's still the way it is.

This interview was on October 30, 2017 less than a month ago.

sodascouts
11-21-2017, 02:41 PM
Well, it appears Deacon does want to become a songwriter after all!

I think our management is holding some venues, as managers are wont to do. Everyone is so tired from the last two years, what we've been through, that we need a break. After the holidays, as we have traditionally done, we will get together in January and talk about what we want to do – whether we want to do anything, how much we want to do, when to do it. As Glenn used to say, we run this band on a yearly basis. That's still the way it is.

This interview was on October 30, 2017 less than a month ago.

So, I guess they decided not to wait until January...

Dawn
11-21-2017, 03:20 PM
Well, it appears Deacon does want to become a songwriter after all!

So, I guess they decided not to wait until January...

Yep.

MaryCalifornia
11-21-2017, 03:28 PM
My guess is that prior to joining the guys, Deacon was doing the exact same thing that Don's 2 adult children, Timothy's 3 children, Joe's children and Taylor Frey are all currently doing. Other than a brief little run in the '90s for Jeddrah and Lucy's acting, it doesn't seem any of them have "careers" or have made anything of themselves that the public would know about. They all have "interests." I'm sure some of them are very wealthy and probably don't generate any income and just hang out, doing what they enjoy and being with family.

And Deacon is in the same position. It seems to me that the guys invited him so he was like, "Sure!" I don't think there's much to read into it or debate and there shouldn't be any philosophical question about how he is living his life. Obviously he has the musical chops, they're not propping him up. It's totally fair to critique his performances, but for people on here to presume to tell him what he should do with his life is mind-boggling.

sodascouts
11-21-2017, 03:46 PM
Yeah, there's really no need for us to make value judgments on Deacon's choices. What's the point of that? Our approval or disapproval matters not one whit. I can see how some of the posts may have stepped into this area a bit, so we should make an effort to stay out of this zone.

However, we should be able to discuss musical aspects of his role in this venture without fear of melodramatic outbursts.

I also see no problem with curiosity about who he was before all this, what he might be interested in outside of this venture, etc., although perhaps an extended discussion of it should take place in his thread.

Dawn
11-21-2017, 03:52 PM
Yeah, there's really no need for us to make value judgments on Deacon's choices. What's the point of that? Our approval or disapproval matters not one whit. I can see how some of the posts may have stepped into this area a bit, so we should make an effort to stay out of this zone.

However, we should be able to discuss musical aspects of his role in this venture without fear of melodramatic outbursts.

Agreed.

Dawn
11-21-2017, 04:03 PM
Same with Vince Gill. BTW I presume he's staying on with the Eagles indefinitly as well?

EagleInKansas
11-21-2017, 05:16 PM
Outrage, soda? That's hilarious. No one said we should treat Deacon with kid gloves, but is anyone actually evaluating his talent or ability, or just the decision-making that's none of our business? Meanwhile, my comments should be "spared" while this thread is full of personal attacks against the band members for whom this entire website is dedicated. And now they're extending to Deacon, who doesn't deserve any of those petty, small remarks. Mostly because he is great. I was hoping the attacks would be beneath an Eagles-fan community that I have been mostly thrilled to be a part of for my entire life, but I have been proven wrong. My bad. I guess I should stop before I work myself into another outrage. I'll save the rest for the next inevitable reply to something ridiculous.

New Kid In Town
11-21-2017, 06:17 PM
Exactly. I mean other than the times his dad ever brought him onstage, was he ever heavily into music to begin with? Especially "classic" music. He might have just learned to play and had other interests that he cared about more.
I don't think Deacon is the songwriting type, but we'll see. I'd much rather see him doing his own thing with a new group or solo than be a caricature of his dad. Or if there is an interest outside of music, go pursue that. Be your own person.

The one article I read about Deacon when this all was announced in March 2017, Deacon said he began playing guitar at age seven on "a baby Martin" Glenn bought for him. So some sort of musical desire was there. I saw last year on his FB page that he went school to study music production/ engineering. I think he has posted stuff on soundcloud(or whatever it's called). He appears to like hip hop type music like most of the kids his age. He certainly has talent, and the RS article in another thread Don stated he(Deacon) had wanted to start writing music. Deacon is 24. When Glenn wrote TIE he was 21-22 years-old. In an old you tube interview I saw years ago, Glenn said he was 23 when hie wrote TS and Desperado. As to Deacon's writing ability, I guess we will have to wait and see. I do hope he eventually pursues his own career - he appears to have the talent necessary. Certainly less talented people have made it in the music business.

PS - I would love to know when all those dates were booked for the tour next year. I'll bet they were in the process of being booked due to time constraints, before that interview was given.
AS A SIDE NOTE: Like it or not, Deacon is now a very visible public figure. As such, he will have to get use to any criticism and of course praise written/said about him just like any other public figure. Not to sound mean or nasty - it is just fact.

WalshFan88
11-21-2017, 09:15 PM
Outrage, soda? That's hilarious. No one said we should treat Deacon with kid gloves, but is anyone actually evaluating his talent or ability, or just the decision-making that's none of our business? Meanwhile, my comments should be "spared" while this thread is full of personal attacks against the band members for whom this entire website is dedicated. And now they're extending to Deacon, who doesn't deserve any of those petty, small remarks. Mostly because he is great. I was hoping the attacks would be beneath an Eagles-fan community that I have been mostly thrilled to be a part of for my entire life, but I have been proven wrong. My bad. I guess I should stop before I work myself into another outrage. I'll save the rest for the next inevitable reply to something ridiculous.

Like it or not, Deacon is not immune from criticism just because he is Glenn's son. When he chose to take on this role, he opened himself up to criticism from those who see this as wrong. Truth is, we have been mostly treating him with kid gloves but it shouldn't be that way. Maybe we shouldn't comment on the value of his decisions, but his benefit to the band musically and the right or wrong-ness of those decisions of it is much to be discussed. He made his choices. That's fine.

WalshFan88
11-21-2017, 09:20 PM
The one article I read about Deacon when this all was announced in March 2017, Deacon said he began playing guitar at age seven on "a baby Martin" Glenn bought for him. So some sort of musical desire was there. I saw last year on his FB page that he went school to study music production/ engineering. I think he has posted stuff on soundcloud(or whatever it's called). He appears to like hip hop type music like most of the kids his age. He certainly has talent, and the RS article in another thread Don stated he(Deacon) had wanted to start writing music. Deacon is 24. When Glenn wrote TIE he was 21-22 years-old. In an old you tube interview I saw years ago, Glenn said he was 23 when hie wrote TS and Desperado. As to Deacon's writing ability, I guess we will have to wait and see. I do hope he eventually pursues his own career - he appears to have the talent necessary. Certainly less talented people have made it in the music business.

PS - I would love to know when all those dates were booked for the tour next year. I'll bet they were in the process of being booked due to time constraints, before that interview was given.
AS A SIDE NOTE: Like it or not, Deacon is now a very visible public figure. As such, he will have to get use to any criticism and of course praise written/said about him just like any other public figure. Not to sound mean or nasty - it is just fact.

If Deacon truly loves music, then I am ALL for more younger people playing guitar and music. But I still think he should forge his own path. I'm not a hiphop fan but I'd give his music a listen and if I like what I hear, buy it without any reservation. I want Deacon to succeed, but as his own musician. I really do.

If anything, I hope his time in the "Eagles", will put him into a broader light so he has a chance to succeed in music unlike most that are uber talented but never get discovered.

Dawn
11-21-2017, 09:21 PM
Good food for thought NKIT, thanks!

To your point, when he was just starting out Glenn was hungry (both literally and figuratively) and believed that writing their own songs was the key to the level of success he hoped/wanted to achieve for the band. In Deacon's case, he approaches somgwriting from a different perspective but one that is uniquely his own. I really wish him all the best.

Second, Glenn warned of getting too enmeshed in the rock and roll lifestyle and the demands of touring and recording certainly took their toll on Glenn and the others. I trust the lessons learned have not been in vain.

EagleInKansas
11-21-2017, 09:37 PM
Like it or not, Deacon is not immune from criticism just because he is Glenn's son.

I'm going to leave this here just so we can all read it and marvel without it being surrounded by equally uninsightful comments.

Go ahead then, WalshFan, criticize Deacon. Have at it. What a fan you are. Better than me, that's for sure. You'll criticize Deacon Frey, like it or not. So brave. Take the shots. Not going to participate or even attempt to enjoy his contributions, but you'll be the first to line up when it's time to attack. What a fun existence! I wish I could learn to hate something that I've always loved, but dammit, I can't come up with the great things to say like "Like it or not." Tell us more, WalshFan. We're all so lucky to hear the thoughts of a guy willing to take shots at a 24-year-old with the gall to sing Already Gone. IN PUBLIC!!!!!

WalshFan88
11-21-2017, 09:46 PM
I'm going to leave this here just so we can all read it and marvel without it being surrounded by equally uninsightful comments.

Go ahead then, WalshFan, criticize Deacon. Have at it. What a fan you are. Better than me, that's for sure. You'll criticize Deacon Frey, like it or not. So brave. Take the shots. Not going to participate or even attempt to enjoy his contributions, but you'll be the first to line up when it's time to attack. What a fun existence! I wish I could learn to hate something that I've always loved, but dammit, I can't come up with the great things to say like "Like it or not." Tell us more, WalshFan. We're all so lucky to hear the thoughts of a guy willing to take shots at a 24-year-old with the gall to sing Already Gone. IN PUBLIC!!!!!

Enjoy his contributions? I think it's pretty clear by now, EIK, that I DON'T. So I'm not a fan because I despise the new lineup, which is not even really the Eagles to me. Some ego you must have to put yourself on a higher perch because you are ok with this and we are not. But just for the record, I really don't care what you think of me or my "existence". Standing up for what I believe is right and equally calling out things I believe to be wrong is not a bad thing, as you seem to believe.

But by all means, keep patting yourself on the back through sarcastic posts to make yourself feel better about my disliking the Eagles continuing without Glenn. Do whatever it takes to help you sleep at night! I won't judge you. Adios. ;)

New Kid In Town
11-21-2017, 10:21 PM

EIK - Your comments to Austin were very nasty and uncalled for IMO. He has just as much a right to express his opinion as you do. You do not have to like it but there is no need to get so nasty and make your attack so personal.
Like it or not, Deacon Frey is now a public figure as a member of the Eagles. Therefore, he will have to take the compliments with any criticism leveled to/at him. I am sure he is will aware of this and probably discussed all of this with his mother before he made the decision to join the band. Deacon is 24 - a grown young man. He is in fact older than his father was when he founded the Eagles in August 1971. Glenn was only 22(he turned 23 in Nov.that year). No one that I know of has said that Deacon is not talented. If someone says they hope he pursues his own path in life there is nothing wrong with that. It is simply their opinion, which they have a right to say - the same right as you have to disagree with it.
This is just my opinion but I felt it necessary to say something.

EagleInKansas
11-21-2017, 10:48 PM
I agree, there would be nothing wrong with that, if that is what was said. Except that it wasn't. Dang. Instead, it was said that "it looks bad" that Deacon is riding Glenn's coattails. Or whatever the verbage was. Keep me posted, however, on which strangers it is acceptable to make personal attacks against. Now that we know it's okay to level them against Deacon, I assumed posters were fair game, as well. But unlike Austin, who quickly backtracked, I'll stand by my thoughts and stand up for Deacon. Whether you like it or not.

WKMB55
11-21-2017, 10:55 PM
I'm don't agree that Deacon opened himself up to criticism from those who think "this" is wrong. I agree that he is subject to the same criticism as anyone else who sings publicly in large venues or just for their friends or neighbors. Criticism and praise should be expressed on the basis of abundance or lack of talent. My opinion is that to make negative or snarky or critical comments against someone just because you don't like or agree with their career decisions is baseless and kind of shallow whether you're talking about Deacon Frey or anyone else.

chaim
11-21-2017, 10:57 PM

Relax. Austin hasn't hasn't been rude about Deacon and he has every right right to say he wished Deacon had his own career.

EagleInKansas
11-21-2017, 10:59 PM
Again, not what he said. He said something much, much dumber.

chaim
11-21-2017, 11:00 PM
New interview with Don about the Eagles’ future and the HC re-release

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/don-henley-talks-hotel-california-reissue-eagles-future-w511253

"They'll be pissed at me for saying this [laughs], but that wasn't them just sitting down and spontaneously playing it in one take."

:lol:

New Kid In Town
11-21-2017, 11:00 PM
I agree, there would be nothing wrong with that, if that is what was said. Except that it wasn't. Dang. Instead, it was said that "it looks bad" that Deacon is riding Glenn's coattails. Or whatever the verbage was. Keep me posted, however, on which strangers it is acceptable to make personal attacks against. Now that we know it's okay to level them against Deacon, I assumed posters were fair game, as well. But unlike Austin, who quickly backtracked, I'll stand by my thoughts and stand up for Deacon. Whether you like it or not.

EIK - Seriously - my God ! Austin has a right to his OPINION. You do not have to like it but there is no need to get so bent out of shape and nasty. And, whether anyone likes it or not, Deacon is now a public figure and will be subject to criticism just like any other public figure. I am sure Deacon is well aware of this - he seems like a very bright kid. He has spent his entire life watching his father deal with both the good and bad of the music business. I would guess he was made well aware of all of this prior to his decision to join the band. Why are you taking this so personal ? I'm sure Deacon can take care of himself.

chaim
11-21-2017, 11:04 PM
Again, not what he said. He said something much, much dumber.

There was also an "IMO" there. And I don't get why "it looks bad" is such a horrible thing to say anyway. And we are free to disagree with it.

Freypower
11-21-2017, 11:06 PM
1. I wish this thread could be left for those of us who object to the continuation of the 'band'. Those who support it have many other threads in which to express their supposed support, without attacking those who do not.

2. I support everything Austin & others have said about Deacon Frey. He appears to be a personable, talented young man, but now that he has chosen this path, he is no more immune from criticism than the others.

3. Many here have insisted that Glenn Frey must somehow have OK'd the decision to continue. I draw their attention to Don Henley's comments in the Rolling Stone interview which I now quote:

It's extraordinary what that young man has done. I saw him sing "Peaceful Easy Feeling" at his father's memorial service. As difficult as that might have been, he was so brave and composed. I'm sure, on the inside, he was churning. After a few months went by, I thought, "Why not see if he would like to be in the band?"

And:
Did you ever question whether it was right to continue without Glenn?
Yes, I did. The only way it felt justified to me was to have family blood in the band.

Oh, and...on Deacon's future:

I've told him that he doesn't need to feel obligated to do this indefinitely, that he doesn't have to stand in his father's shadow. If he wants to start his own band and write his own music, he should do that. He can do this as long as we all agree that we want to do it. He may want to carve out his own future, and that's just fine.

No doubt I will STILL be told that it's what Glenn wanted. No doubt I will be told a lot of things.

WalshFan88
11-21-2017, 11:08 PM

EIK, I have never backtracked on any of my beliefs regarding the new band or Deacon.

NKIT is right, you were being nasty towards me.

And I'm pretty sure if you read the rules of this board, it is NEVER okay to attack posters under ANY circumstances. I'm sure Soda (admin) would agree with that.

Here's some facts. Your first post on this board was in defense of this new lineup in THIS thread, where people are not okay with it. It seems to me you just want to be argumentative and put those of us down against the new band while you build yourself up. You've done that over and over and over. It's getting old.

Let's get something very straight, we aren't likely to see eye to eye on this, ever. So why keep berating me for my feelings and opinions on this. What do you hope to achieve by being rude and condescending to me? Think about that for a bit. If you want to change my mind, it likely won't happen, and if it would you are going about it all wrong. You are not doing yourself or your viewpoint any favors here.

Again, I don't really care one way or another how you feel about me, or if you say that stuff you did about me. I just worry that you are either looking for an argument or are getting too worked up about my opinions on this. That's all.

PS: Deacon is now an adult, and he can fend for himself without your help.

MaryCalifornia
11-21-2017, 11:51 PM
I for one am not at all worried about Deacon and don't feel the need to stick up for him. My comment was meant as an observation about Borderers who post, repeatedly, what they think Deacon should be doing instead of what he is currently doing. He's been with the Eagles for a hot minute, but people say that he should be doing this, or doing that, or doing whatever. He's doing the Eagles and you don't like it - that's fine. To take it a step further and suggest what he should be doing instead is absurd. It's like when people say the guys should just retire already, they've made enough money - this is horrid for so many reasons. You don't get to tell people what to do.

I'm pleased for the dissenters to have their own thread to complain about band activities and won't argue about that. I just marvel at people who think they know what is best for others.

Dawn
11-21-2017, 11:56 PM
IMHO Deacon Frey is a big reason if not the sole reason the band reversed their earlier position that without Glenn Frey they could not/would not continue. He is the emotional connection to an iconic band and the huge void left by the passing of his beloved dad. Vince Gill fullfills a different purpose and/or need.

WalshFan88
11-22-2017, 12:02 AM
To take it a step further and suggest what he should be doing instead is absurd. It's like when people say the guys should just retire already, they've made enough money - this is horrid for so many reasons. You don't get to tell people what to do.

Of course we don't get to tell them what to do and make them do it, but that doesn't mean that we have to feel their choice is right or refrain from commenting about our displeasure in said choice. However, if Soda doesn't want us to discuss the value of their decisions, I'm more than happy to oblige. But that doesn't mean I'm not thinking it all of the time, because I will be, obviously.

The whole retiring because of money comments come from the fact that the only fathomable reason they'd continue without Glenn is the money on the table. It certainly isn't for the love of doing it. These guys weren't best buddies as of lately and just want to do it to keep the spirit alive. If someone thinks that's true, then I've got some oceanfront property I'd like to sell them in the middle of the desert.

And that's why Henley changed his mind. As long as their is an opportunity to keep getting money from the cash cow, of course they are going to do it and forget about doing what's right (IMO) or going on without the leader of the band and one of the two most important members. I'd have just as much problem if Glenn went on without Henley but somehow I doubt that would have happened. JMO.

klmeps
11-22-2017, 12:05 AM

I have to disagree about Vince not having much of a solo career. I've been a fan of Vince's since the early 90's. He's had an amazing career - he's won 21 Grammy awards and almost as many CMA awards. I've seen him in concert several times. Amazing guitarist as well as a great singer and songwriter.

New Kid In Town
11-22-2017, 12:06 AM
Mary - I agree with you in that I also feel Deacon is doing exactly what he wants to be doing. I also believe that he probably finds it therapeutic in dealing with the loss of his father. If he did not want to do it, this new version of the Eagles probably would not have happened.
However, I see nothing wrong with people saying they hope Deacon goes on to pursue his own career in music or music production/engineering. That is simply their opinion. Everyone does not have to agree with it. Not that it matter at all, but I bet Deacon does not give a crap what we or anyone else thinks.

WalshFan88
11-22-2017, 12:17 AM
Not that it matter at all, but I bet Deacon does not give a crap what we or anyone else thinks.

And frankly, that's how he should feel...along with the rest of the guys. I guarantee you they aren't losing sleep or getting in a hissy fit about the distaste for this that some of us have, like EIK is doing.

sodascouts
11-22-2017, 12:17 AM
I have to disagree about Vince not having much of a solo career. I've been a fan of Vince's since the early 90's. He's had an amazing career - he's won 21 Grammy awards and almost as many CMA awards. I've seen him in concert several times. Amazing guitarist as well as a great singer and songwriter.

I stand corrected. That's very impressive indeed.

So why do you think he would give all that up to tour for years with the "Eagles"? Were the shows not selling?

MaryCalifornia
11-22-2017, 12:23 AM
the only fathomable reason they'd continue without Glenn is the money on the table. It certainly isn't for the love of doing it.

Austin, you and I are friends, but I absolutely do not know where you are getting this. It's like you don't understand that they are actually real people, with real emotions. I think it's the exact opposite, they don't know what to do with themselves and want to continue playing in front of thousands of adoring fans because it's fun and who wouldn't want to?

WalshFan88
11-22-2017, 12:31 AM
Austin, you and I are friends, but I absolutely do not know where you are getting this. It's like you don't understand that they are actually real people, with real emotions. I think it's the exact opposite, they don't know what to do with themselves and want to continue playing in front of thousands of adoring fans because it's fun and who wouldn't want to?

I guess it comes from knowing how manipulative Irving can be (in fact, I blame this getting off the ground on all on him). I think he made Henley an offer he couldn't say no to, and with Deacon on board everyone would go along with it.

Also, the fact that there's been numerous stories that the band didn't get along well (Glenn, Don, Tim, and Joe) and that it was truly a business venture and there wasn't a lot of camaraderie. Sometimes they looked downright stuffy on stage. I always got the feeling that the thing keeping them together was the money on the table and the fact they could stay relevant, which brings them more money. I mean they Fed Ex'd each other parts for the LROOE album because they couldn't stand to be in a room together. I really can't imagine those guys, even when it's just Don, Tim, and Joe loving it so much that they can't imagine anything else to do with their time. It just doesn't feel right to me.

I really hope that you are right. I still don't agree with it, but it would be easier to take I guess than feel it's a shameless money grab. The fact is, we don't know what their motive is, I can only piece it together from my observations and what I can see on the surface. And I feel like I have enough evidence to feel this way.

I dunno. I just feel like it's not for the love of doing it. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I'm right. But I can't help but to go on what I've seen and heard of them.

MaryCalifornia
11-22-2017, 12:32 AM
I see nothing wrong with people saying they hope Deacon goes on to pursue his own career in music or music production/engineering.

Thanks, NKIT. I guess the problem I have with the above is that it is pulled from thin air. To our knowledge, Deacon hasn't been pursuing either of these things in earnest. Yes, we have little tidbits of information here and there about his interests, but to me it's like someone saying, "I think Deacon should go work for Irving Azoff's company" or "I think Deacon should finish his dad's Hotel California musical." Why do we have to have other ideas for him, or future ideas for him? I think people are trying to be nice by saying, "I don't like him with this band, but I would be OK with _____", which just seems really presumptuous. I know I'm splitting hairs here.

BlanketMan
11-22-2017, 12:53 AM

So why do you think he would give all that up to tour for years with the "Eagles"? Were the shows not selling?

Listening to some sound bites from Gill today on the Sirius Eagles channel, it does sound like Gill was/is simply a superfan who considers it an amazing honor to play with the Eagles. Imagine if Paul, George, and Ringo had decided to tour in the 80s or 90s, and, say, Clapton took Lennon’s place. Would people wonder, gee, why would Eric do that, with his own incredible solo career? I doubt they would... because it’s the freakin’ Beatles! Except in Gill’s case: It’s the freaking Eagles! Why *wouldn’t* Gill want to do it?! 😄

klmeps
11-22-2017, 12:59 AM

I really don't know. I know he cut back on his touring some after he married Amy Grant and they had a family. But as far as I know he still does well when he does tour. My guess is that it really is what he says about how he's such a fan of their music and that he's honored to get to be onstage with them.

EagleInKansas
11-22-2017, 01:03 AM
I treat you that way, WalshFan, because I can't imagine being so cynical, negative and hateful toward something as joyful, fulfilling and unifying as music. I don't get it. I have tried really hard to understand and I have come up with nothing. The Eagles have given me so much happiness, friendship, bonding with my family, that I can't ever imagine turning my back because of a lineup change. It's blind loyalty, and it's not going anywhere. I have it for Glenn, Don, Joe, Timothy, Randy, Bernie, Deacon, Vince, Steuart, etc. Never going to change. I'll always defend them, to anyone, regardless of when my first post here was or how old the band members are -- two incredibly horrible arguments, by the way. So yeah, we can agree to disagree. That's fine. Or you can say, man, I haven't taken the time to think about why this might be meaningful to others, and it would be really stupid to try to kill their joy. Don Henley is my favorite Eagle, but if he had died and Glenn decided to let Clint Black or the guy from Rascall Flatts sing his songs, I'd be the first guy in line. Not because it's better or because it was my first choice, but because someone I have invested real, meaningful thought, time and love into made the choice. It's the least I could do to support this. I want Glenn back as badly as anyone possibly could. But Don, Joe, Tim and the rest have added so much to my life that I could never repay, so I'm not going to turn on them.

WKMB55
11-22-2017, 01:06 AM
Don, Glenn, Joe and Timothy never denied that part of the reason they still toured was because of the money. It seems like there wasn't nearly as much criticism about high ticket prices or the occasional performance where they all seemed tired or the amount of money they were making until Glenn passed. He was a huge part of all of the decisions that factored into Eagles business until his unfortunate death. Now that the others have decided to continue to perform there are many, many more negative comments about high ticket prices, a "money grab" and decreased performance levels than there ever were prior to Glenn's passing. Since they are conducting business almost the same way as they always have, I think maybe it has a lot more to do with those that disagree with the decision to continue than with the band's business practices.

MaryCalifornia
11-22-2017, 01:08 AM
Also, the fact that there's been numerous stories that the band didn't get along well (Glenn, Don, Tim, and Joe)

This I did not know about or hear about. It seems like between 2001 and 2015 this iteration of the band had found a way to make it work...that worked for all of them. Timothy may not be the best singer or bass player, but I think he has qualities that actually contributed to the band being at peace, personally, as much as they could be - but that's for a different thread!

WalshFan88
11-22-2017, 01:25 AM
I treat you that way, WalshFan, because I can't imagine being so cynical, negative and hateful toward something as joyful, fulfilling and unifying as music. I don't get it. I have tried really hard to understand and I have come up with nothing. The Eagles have given me so much happiness, friendship, bonding with my family, that I can't ever imagine turning my back because of a lineup change. It's blind loyalty, and it's not going anywhere. I have it for Glenn, Don, Joe, Timothy, Randy, Bernie, Deacon, Vince, Steuart, etc. Never going to change. I'll always defend them, to anyone, regardless of when my first post here was or how old the band members are -- two incredibly horrible arguments, by the way. So yeah, we can agree to disagree. That's fine. Or you can say, man, I haven't taken the time to think about why this might be meaningful to others, and it would be really stupid to try to kill their joy. Don Henley is my favorite Eagle, but if he had died and Glenn decided to let Clint Black or the guy from Rascall Flatts sing his songs, I'd be the first guy in line. Not because it's better or because it was my first choice, but because someone I have invested real, meaningful thought, time and love into made the choice. It's the least I could do to support this. I want Glenn back as badly as anyone possibly could. But Don, Joe, Tim and the rest have added so much to my life that I could never repay, so I'm not going to turn on them.

So, basically you want those against it to keep quiet as not to spoil your fun?! We should just all keep quiet for those of you who like this. Seriously? I mean really?

I'm sorry, but the world does not work that way EIK. The way you think you are more of a fan than those against the guys moving forward without Glenn and the way you constantly remind us that we can't be Eagles fans if we don't want them to move on without Glenn. Who made you the guy in charge of deciding who is a fan or not?! That's right, no one. Get off of your high horse for a change. Jeez.

And now you have the "gall" (to use your own term) to tell me I'm not a music lover (or worse, that I hate music!) because I'm against them moving forward?! Get a damn grip. Just who do you think you are telling me what to think and to just keep quiet because we don't see eye to eye?! I'm sorry but I'm not willing to be kept in a cage where I'm not allowed to express my feelings and opinions for the sake of your or others happiness. If that upsets you so much, then maybe invest in some therapy or something. But trying to bully me into doing it, no thanks. Not all of us are "blind loyalists", ok. We can love a band while still criticizing them, and we can only like a certain era or most but not all eras and still be a fan. You don't get to play god and try to tell us otherwise. Sorry.

Also it's highly ironic that you want me to stop saying how I feel because I kill your joy. Have you ever thought about the reverse? How WE might feel?! I bet you haven't. Besides, if someone loved the new Eagles, they have the choice to not visit this one thread where it's all contained. They and you choose to read it.

One thing is for sure, we are never going to get along so I'm going to ignore you. You can't seem to debate like a rational person, so why should I treat you like one. You'd rather throw out insults and judge me. That's awfully immature, EIK.

WKMB55
11-22-2017, 01:26 AM
Mary California, after seeing several of Timothy's solo shows I think he had more to offer than he was given a chance to express. He must have decided that he was comfortable with what Don and Glenn assigned to him. I agree that all of his talents that benefited the Eagles were not necessarily viewed by the audience. I was not aware either that there was a great deal of discord in the 2000's. Like everyone else they got together to work. I don't know how others are, but I loved my co-workers. It didn't mean that I wanted to spend my days off or my vacations with them.

sodascouts
11-22-2017, 01:27 AM
Don, Glenn, Joe and Timothy never denied that part of the reason they still toured was because of the money. It seems like there wasn't nearly as much criticism about high ticket prices or the occasional performance where they all seemed tired or the amount of money they were making until Glenn passed. He was a huge part of all of the decisions that factored into Eagles business until his unfortunate death. Now that the others have decided to continue to perform there are many, many more negative comments about high ticket prices, a "money grab" and decreased performance levels than there ever were prior to Glenn's passing. Since they are conducting business almost the same way as they always have, I think maybe it has a lot more to do with those that disagree with the decision to continue than with the band's business practices.

It's funny - I see it the opposite way. We've always known that money was a huge motivator for these guys - they've been pretty open about it - but now, many people want to act like money's not a motivator, and it's all about how much they love playing together. I think maybe it has a lot more to do with those who agree with the decision to continue than with the band's business practices.

Regardless, there's one thing no one can deny: they're using the name Eagles for its monetary benefit. They can play together without doing using the name "Eagles". Since the use of the name is my main point of contention, then I can quite easily say that money is the issue.

EagleInKansas
11-22-2017, 01:30 AM
Don't get so worked up. Spare us the outrage. Why do you take it so personally?

Anyway, I also agree that you're not worth my tme. You have no interest in reading my actual words and would much rather saddle me with an extreme viewpoint when I am providing plenty of nuance and clarity. Catch ya later, WalshFan. Good luck with that whole hating music thing.

sodascouts
11-22-2017, 01:33 AM
Don't get so worked up. Spare us the outrage. Why do you take it so personally?

Anyway, I also agree that you're not worth my tme. You have no interest in reading my actual words and would much rather saddle me with an extreme viewpoint when I am providing plenty of nuance and clarity. Catch ya later, WalshFan. Good luck with that whole hating music thing.

That last message is nothing but a personal attack, EIK. I don't know what's going on with you or what kind of service you think you're doing for Deacon Frey, but I doubt he'd thank you for it. Lay off.

EagleInKansas
11-22-2017, 01:37 AM
I'm sure he'd be filled with adoration for people saying it "looks bad" that he is singing his late father's songs and bashing his life choices.

WKMB55
11-22-2017, 01:42 AM
I understand what you are saying, Soda. I still don't know how I feel about the situation in its entirety. There are a few things I like and a few I don't. I haven't been to an Eagles concert since 2015.

sodascouts
11-22-2017, 02:26 AM
From what I understand, the 2000s onwards were a business relationship situation - ie, no big dramatic fights, but not much hanging out together either. They did their thing on stage and then went their separate ways for the most part.

The LROOE recording process seems to have had relatively little conflict, with "ground rules" about how many songs each member would have set out at the beginning, and who would make the decisions firmly established. Joe and Tim seem to have accepted all of this with minimal complaint. The biggest drama seems to have been arguments between Glenn and Don over whether or not it should be a double album, with Glenn insisting on the double album. Personal interactions were kept to a minimum with recording of each member's vocals and instruments done at different studios and then overlaid digitally.

Judging from that, I wouldn't say it was done because they were just so full of love for each other that they wanted to work together. The interactions for the most part seemed very business-like. I'm grateful for that business, though. It got me new music and shows from the Eagles.

BlanketMan
11-22-2017, 10:32 AM
A question for those of you who are opposed to the "Eagles" name being used for this current iteration of the band: If Felder, Leadon, or, by some miracle, Meisner, rejoined them for the 2018 tour, would you still feel like they shouldn't call themselves the Eagles? Are the "Eagles" Henley/Frey only (cannot be Eagles without Glenn Frey), or would having a higher percentage of the "classic lineup" make it more acceptable?

Genuinely curious, no judging.

chaim
11-22-2017, 11:51 AM
A tough question. I wouldn't have much personal interest in it, but I guess it would be at least more ok than the present situation.

Dawn
11-22-2017, 11:53 AM
From what I understand, the 2000s onwards were a business relationship situation - ie, no big dramatic fights, but not much hanging out together either. They did their thing on stage and then went their separate ways for the most part.

The LROOE recording process seems to have had relatively little conflict, with "ground rules" about how many songs each member would have set out at the beginning, and who would make the decisions firmly established. Joe and Tim seem to have accepted all of this with minimal complaint. The biggest drama seems to have been arguments between Glenn and Don over whether or not it should be a double album, with Glenn insisting on the double album. Personal interactions were kept to a minimum with recording of each member's vocals and instruments done at different studios and then overlaid digitally.

Judging from that, I wouldn't say it was done because they were just so full of love for each other that they wanted to work together. The interactions for the most part seemed very business-like. I'm grateful for that business, though. It got me new music and shows from the Eagles.

Soda, I think this is a fair assessment. Reportedly at the time of his death in January 2016 Glenn Frey was estranged from Don Henley and Jackson Browne as well. They had just finished the mammoth HOTE tour and a private gig shortly thereafter. (Glenn was hospitalized in November 2015)

One of the most candid interviews is the one in 2007 with CBS's Steve Croft.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/glenn-frey-eagles-album-saved-band/3/

scottside
11-22-2017, 12:05 PM
Soda, I think this is a fair assessment. Reportedly at the time of his death in January 2016 Glenn Frey was estranged from Don Henley and Jackson Browne as well. They had just finished the mammoth HOTE tour and a private gig shortly thereafter. (Glenn was hospitalized in November 2015)

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/glenn-frey-eagles-album-saved-band/3/

I still don't understand why they were "estranged" though in 2016. I knew the LROOE was difficult for them to get together and that 2007 interview indicates that. But by 2016 what was the source of the problems? And I don't understand the distance between and Frey and Jackson at all...

New Kid In Town
11-22-2017, 12:07 PM

Dawn is correct. That is Don Henley's and Jackson Browne's own words. Don gave an interview with the Washington Post in late Nov./early Dec. 2016 right before the KCH. In that interview Don stated he was estranged from Glenn for I believe many years. Jackson had said the same thing to Don. That 60 Minutes interview was quite telling - Don barely looked at Glenn when sitting at that table with Steve Croft. Glenn said they were friends and Don said it was complicated and they were like brothers who fight with each other. You can see the interview on you tube if it is still up.

I think Glenn entered the hospital in October 2015. Bob Seger said he went in Oct. and was placed in the drug induced coma in Nov. Makes me sad to think and talk about it.

Dawn
11-22-2017, 12:26 PM
I still don't understand why they were "estranged" though in 2016. I knew the LROOE was difficult for them to get together and that 2007 interview indicates that. But by 2016 what was the source of the problems? And I don't understand the distance between and Frey and Jackson at all...

I'm only speculating but by the end of the HOTE tour I think there was most likely a profound sense of accomplisment and pride. Not just for getting the job done physically and mentally but emotionally as well. They were in their 60's. "On the Back Nine" so to speak. They may have believed it wasn't the end. Certainly they woud have each and perhaps collectively had ideas about the future especially Glenn Frey who according to long time friend Bob Seger was actively involved in plans for a Hotel California musical. Glenn was living in NYC and was also involved with teaching a songwriting course at NYU Steinhardt that reportedly he thoroughly enjoyed along with students who spoke after he died about how much they loved Glenn and appreciated his advice and guidance. Whatever the source for the estrangement between Don and Glenn it appears maintaining the business side of their relationship was a practical and viable resolution.

Edited to add:

Awhile back I remember reading that while Glenn loved and respected Don Henley as a musician/songwriter there was a period when he didn't much like him personally. It's probably just that simple. Personal v Professional (Business)

Dawn
11-22-2017, 12:49 PM
Dawn is correct. That is Don Henley's and Jackson Browne's own words. Don gave an interview with the Washington Post in late Nov./early Dec. 2016 right before the KCH. In that interview Don stated he was estranged from Glenn for I believe many years. Jackson had said the same thing to Don. That 60 Minutes interview was quite telling - Don barely looked at Glenn when sitting at that table with Steve Croft. Glenn said they were friends and Don said it was complicated and they were like brothers who fight with each other. You can see the interview on you tube if it is still up.

I think Glenn entered the hospital in October 2015. Bob Seger said he went in Oct. and was placed in the drug induced coma in Nov. Makes me sad to think and talk about it.

Thanks NKIT, that's important to know. It greatly saddens me to think of what Glenn endured I suppose I am glad he was placed into a drug induced coma to ease what had to be an extremely painful situation and so very distressful for his wife and kids. I remember reading he was successfully brought out of the coma only to be re-induced because it was so painfully difficult for him to breathe.

YoungEaglesFan
11-22-2017, 02:04 PM
What articles are there that detailed what happened to Glenn in the final months? I know very little about it

UndertheWire
11-22-2017, 02:19 PM
What articles are there that detailed what happened to Glenn in the final months? I know very little about it
There are two threads in the Glenn sub-board.
https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6068
https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6077

UndertheWire
11-22-2017, 02:35 PM
I think you can read too much into Don's "estranged" comment. He and Glenn had very different personalities and that included how close they remained with old friends. Don has remained close with Jackson Browne and JD Souther, whereas Glenn didn't once their lives no longer touched. Instead, he made new friends who fitted in with his new life.

Dawn
11-22-2017, 02:48 PM
I think you can read too much into Don's "estranged" comment. He and Glenn had very different personalities and that included how close they remained with old friends. Don has remained close with Jackson Browne and JD Souther, whereas Glenn didn't once their lives no longer touched. Instead, he made new friends who fitted in with his new life.

Yes, that's probably true Glenn Frey was gregarious but also protective of his personal life. After the HOTE tour he was most likely worn out and not wanting to deal with unnecessary stress and/or anxiety.

However "estranged" which is the term Henley used implies more than just losing touch.

secret squirrel
11-22-2017, 02:59 PM
Just hearing news about the tour and seeing an image in an email from the Eagles with two extra people and one missing makes me angrier than I thought it would. That'll never be the Eagles for me. Glenn was irreplaceable as far as I'm concerned.

SS
xx
http://secretsquirrelshorts.blogspot.co.uk/

sodascouts
11-22-2017, 03:03 PM

I think he compartmentalized, perhaps a bit more than most, his sets of friends. "I can't even relate to that guy anymore," he once said of himself, referring to what he was like in the 60s and 70s (this was an interview from the early 90s, I believe). I think that might have extended to the company he kept.

sodascouts
11-22-2017, 03:13 PM
Just hearing news about the tour and seeing an image in an email from the Eagles with two extra people and one missing makes me angrier than I thought it would. That'll never be the Eagles for me. Glenn was irreplaceable as far as I'm concerned.

SS
xx
http://secretsquirrelshorts.blogspot.co.uk/

Amen!

maryc2130
11-22-2017, 03:31 PM
It's funny - I see it the opposite way. We've always known that money was a huge motivator for these guys - they've been pretty open about it - but now, many people want to act like money's not a motivator, and it's all about how much they love playing together. I think maybe it has a lot more to do with those who agree with the decision to continue than with the band's business practices.

Regardless, there's one thing no one can deny: they're using the name Eagles for its monetary benefit. They can play together without doing using the name "Eagles". Since the use of the name is my main point of contention, then I can quite easily say that money is the issue.

I don't think you can necessarily draw that conclusion. There's a difference between a money grab and using the Eagles name to make the new tour a successful business venture. I agree that money is a motivator -- even if they enjoy touring together (which from comments they've made and their smiles on stage, I personally think they do) -- it's not worth it if they don't make enough to pay their employees and make something out of it. I don't think the remaining Eagles members need to be overly concerned with money at this point in their careers, but it makes no sense to do it if it's not economically viable.

As is the case with Deacon, we don't really know their motivations. (At least I don't, and I don't frame my remarks by saying "They don't care about money" as some do with "It's a money grab." Also, remarks like "Can't wait till Henley's voice gives out so this ends" are very hurtful. (I'm paraphrasing the quote and I know it's a ways back in this thread, but it still smarts. If anyone had ever said that about Glenn's voice, we'd never hear the end of it, and rightfully so.)

WalshFan88
11-22-2017, 03:40 PM
A question for those of you who are opposed to the "Eagles" name being used for this current iteration of the band: If Felder, Leadon, or, by some miracle, Meisner, rejoined them for the 2018 tour, would you still feel like they shouldn't call themselves the Eagles? Are the "Eagles" Henley/Frey only (cannot be Eagles without Glenn Frey), or would having a higher percentage of the "classic lineup" make it more acceptable?

The answer for me would still be a no with Bernie or Randy.

I actually wouldn't want them to bring Felder on. It would make me even more mad. I think that would be a slap in the face since Glenn couldn't stand him. I wanted Felder back for the longest time but I quickly realized Glenn wasn't all wrong and Felder wasn't all right. It started with him whining about the Grammy tribute and the KCH. It wouldn't have been right. It still wouldn't. It'd be different if Felder actually patched things up with Glenn but that never happened and now is not the time to erase history. It would be salt on the wound, as it were. IMO.

sodascouts
11-22-2017, 03:45 PM

It's not about percentages of classic line-ups, at least not for me.

Glenn started the band with Don Henley, but it's not just that. Both of them have been in it since day one and are fundamental to its sound. Both are essential to the Eagles. Therefore, neither Henley nor Frey are replaceable. The removal of one of them is not simply "a lower percentage of the classic line up."

I do not accept that an entity without either of them can legitimately call itself the "Eagles."

WalshFan88
11-22-2017, 03:47 PM
I do not accept that an entity without either of them can legitimately call itself the "Eagles."

This. Simply put.

Dawn
11-22-2017, 05:18 PM
What if Deacon Frey had said no?

That is a question I have asked myself more than once most recently the other day when news of a 2018 North American tour was made official with more dates to be announced.

Annoying Twit
11-22-2017, 05:24 PM

That is a question I have asked myself more than once most recently the other day when news of a 2018 North American tour was made official with more dates to be announced.

No Deacon, no Eagles. That's what I believe.

Note that I make no claims of telepathy.

WalshFan88
11-22-2017, 05:31 PM

I don't think it would have stopped Irving or Don...Deacon made it easier for the fanbase to feel ok with it. That's what I think... I still think they would have tried to do it with someone else before scrapping the idea to see how the fans react.

New Kid In Town
11-22-2017, 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by UndertheWire https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/images/vc/buttons//viewpost.gif (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?p=366777#post366777)
I think you can read too much into Don's "estranged" comment. He and Glenn had very different personalities and that included how close they remained with old friends. Don has remained close with Jackson Browne and JD Souther, whereas Glenn didn't once their lives no longer touched. Instead he made new friends who fitted in with his new life.
Originally Posted by Soda
I think he compartmentalized, perhaps a bit more than most, his sets of friends. "I can't even relate to that guy anymore," he once said of himself, referring to what he was like in the 60s and 70s (this was an interview from the early 90s, I believe). I think that might have extended to the company he kept.

Interesting comments. I think Don and Glenn's friendship in the years after the break up in 1980 was complicated. They were two very different people with very different personalities. I think what originally drew them to each other in 1970 was obviously their love of music and desire to start a band. Once that happened, they were full force, Eagles 24/7 for nine years. The mind boggling success, fame and stress wore them both out and broke up that once close friendship. By the mid 80's, Glenn had given up the R & R lifestyle and went thru a marriage and divorce. Don at that point was still single and living that lifestyle. In fact, one of the main reasons the 1990 reunion did not work was because Glenn felt Don was still living that lifestyle. Glenn was happily married and expecting his first child. In that Wash.Post interview, Jackson stated he felt Glenn and Don were never able to rekindle that close friendship they had in their 20's. By the time Don married in 1995, Glenn had been married for five years and had two kids. I think when push came to shove, Glenn deep down was basically what he was raised - a mid-westerner who seemed to return to his roots in many ways. I think he loved and respected Don but that close friendship was apparently long gone. As people age and mature their interests and desires change and one time close friends grow apart. I think this was very much a love/hate friendship, and boy would I ever love to read a book regarding their friendship. Just my 2 cents.

Dawn - I would think that without Deacon this new version of the Eagles would have been difficult. Fans would be much less likely to accept it and they would have been torn apart in the press. There is obviously a very strong emotional appeal/tug the heart strings with Deacon in the band. However, at this point who knows. Don could very well have just gone with Vince.

WalshFan88
11-22-2017, 07:05 PM
Dawn - I would think that without Deacon this new version of the Eagles would have been difficult. Fans would be much less likely to accept it and they would have been torn apart in the press. There is obviously a very strong emotional appeal/tug the heart strings with Deacon in the band. However, at this point who knows. Don could very well have just gone with Vince.

This is how I see it. It would have been more difficult to pull off without him but I think Don would have tried it to test the waters. It wasn't Deacon IMO that made them continue on.

sodascouts
11-22-2017, 10:26 PM
I would think that without Deacon this new version of the Eagles would have been difficult. Fans would be much less likely to accept it and they would have been torn apart in the press. There is obviously a very strong emotional appeal/tug the heart strings with Deacon in the band. However, at this point who knows. Don could very well have just gone with Vince.

A lot of the reasons being proffered now - "we're doing it for the fans" - "we're keeping the music alive" - could have been used without Deacon's presence, and I think they would have been.

We're talking millions of dollars here. Deacon's participation made it easier for all involved, but it would have happened anyway.

Freypower
11-22-2017, 10:43 PM
A lot of the reasons being proffered now - "we're doing it for the fans" - "we're keeping the music alive" - could have been used without Deacon's presence, and I think they would have been.

We're talking millions of dollars here. Deacon's participation made it easier for all involved, but it would have happened anyway.

So what about the 'family blood' stuff? I refer to Henley's justification for this in the Rolling Stone article which I posted a few pages back when the argument was starting to get heated (page 178 ).

As I think you said yourself, how convenient that Glenn had a singing guitarist for a son.

I have some comments about what was said during that argument, but I don't wish to revive it.

YoungEaglesFan
11-22-2017, 11:31 PM
One thing that bugs me a little is people take such a cynical view of the Eagles right now. A popular theory as why they went on was purely based off greed. That would then imply they would be lying about reasons. I know sometimes they’ve said things that aren’t true but this would be a whole new level. No offense intended but if you think the band would do something that bad how could you like the band? I would be disgusted if that happened and would have to reconsider my interest in the band. I personally think that Without Deacon they would not have toured. Without Deacon saying yes, the Frey family would most likely be opposed to a tour and if the Frey family rejected that publicly there would be no way they would tour. People would be disgusted. I think the motivation to tour is similar to previous tours. For the music and money. Maybe money more so than enjoying the ride but not solely for money.

sodascouts
11-23-2017, 12:06 AM
So what about the 'family blood' stuff? I refer to Henley's justification for this in the Rolling Stone article which I posted a few pages back when the argument was starting to get heated (page 178 ).

One cannot know such a thing, of course. However, we could always use a prior model to make an educated guess.

He might say he was "in shock" when he swore he'd only do it with Deacon and that now that he's emerged from his early stages of grief, he realizes that continuing the Eagles is the right thing to do with or without Deacon. He might even boost his backtracking by quoting Emerson out of context: "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."

That seems to work pretty well.

WalshFan88
11-23-2017, 12:42 AM
One thing that bugs me a little is people take such a cynical view of the Eagles right now. A popular theory as why they went on was purely based off greed. That would then imply they would be lying about reasons. I know sometimes they’ve said things that aren’t true but this would be a whole new level. No offense intended but if you think the band would do something that bad how could you like the band? I would be disgusted if that happened and would have to reconsider my interest in the band. I personally think that Without Deacon they would not have toured. Without Deacon saying yes, the Frey family would most likely be opposed to a tour and if the Frey family rejected that publicly there would be no way they would tour. People would be disgusted. I think the motivation to tour is similar to previous tours. For the music and money. Maybe money more so than enjoying the ride but not solely for money.

For me, I can still like someone's or a group's music even if I don't like them as people or they've disappointed me. I listen to some artists music that I wouldn't ever want to meet in person and we don't share the same views/ethics. So that doesn't keep me from listening or liking their music, especially what I consider to be the real band. I can separate the music from the person the majority of times.

And no, not for a minute do I believe Don Henley or Irving Azoff are above lying.

Annoying Twit
11-23-2017, 08:58 AM
I think the album and the article points out how close Bob was to Glenn.

I'll just point out that Bob clearly approves of Eagles continuing, as he played with them. Most importantly, in my eyes, at Classic West.

It does seem that the people closest to Glenn do approve of Eagles continuing.

chaim
11-23-2017, 10:29 AM
All musicians - except perhaps Gene Simmons - say "for me it's not about the money, it's about music". It's just a thing they tend to say. Of course they care about money, but I don't think it's exactly "lying" when they say they only do something for the music. Musicians's motives don't have to be more "pure" than everybody else's, so I don't understand why they always have to play down the monetary side of things in public.

Which, again, reminds me of my favorite Freudian slip. Don Felder: "For me it's all about the money...the music". :lol:

Freypower
11-23-2017, 06:01 PM
I think the album and the article points out how close Bob was to Glenn.

I'll just point out that Bob clearly approves of Eagles continuing, as he played with them. Most importantly, in my eyes, at Classic West.

It does seem that the people closest to Glenn do approve of Eagles continuing.

Perhaps Seger appeared at Classic West because it became obvious that there was going to be no proper tribute so he had to take what chance he was given. It speaks volumes about a great deal of things. Perhaps he also thought that they would not continue afterwards. I don't recall him expressing any thoughts on that. What he has done is share that photo of him & Glenn on his Facebook page for Thanksgiving. Scroll down.

https://www.facebook.com/bobseger/?hc_ref=ARRCoN1M7rXxkTOYBTwXB-X3y7TQc5kSYSnP-jrJTuSAifZ9q6cUbbpWquezuYHvmf4&fref=nf

I am not weighing in on this 'approve' stuff. Frankly it doesn't have any effect on my own feelings whether they 'approve' or not. I'm not going to be told how I should feel. I wish people could understand that.

I am sorry to sound harsh, but in recent days the pressure on people like myself has started to become unbearable. 'You WILL support this'! 'You are not a real fan'! 'They approve it, why don't you?' Etc, etc.

Annoying Twit
11-23-2017, 06:50 PM
Perhaps Seger appeared at Classic West because it became obvious that there was going to be no proper tribute so he had to take what chance he was given. It speaks volumes about a great deal of things. Perhaps he also thought that they would not continue afterwards. I don't recall him expressing any thoughts on that. What he has done is share that photo of him & Glenn on his Facebook page for Thanksgiving. Scroll down.

https://www.facebook.com/bobseger/?hc_ref=ARRCoN1M7rXxkTOYBTwXB-X3y7TQc5kSYSnP-jrJTuSAifZ9q6cUbbpWquezuYHvmf4&fref=nf

I am not weighing in on this 'approve' stuff. Frankly it doesn't have any effect on my own feelings whether they 'approve' or not. I'm not going to be told how I should feel. I wish people could understand that.

I'm not trying to tell you how you should feel. I'm just pointing out that everything we know about how those truly close to Glenn feel implies that they approve of Eagles continuing. As you mention, it doesn't formally prove that, but I think that it implies it very strongly.

Bob posting the photo of him and Glenn is a nice touch. I'm not really a fan of Bob, not because I don't like his music (though I've always loved Night Moves) but because I haven't really put the effort in to become familiar with it. I'm looking forward, in this new digital world where you can hear albums before you buy them, to giving his new album a proper listen, mainly because of the Glenn connection.

Freypower
11-23-2017, 06:54 PM
I'm not trying to tell you how you should feel. I'm just pointing out that everything we know about how those truly close to Glenn feel implies that they approve of Eagles continuing. As you mention, it doesn't formally prove that, but I think that it implies it very strongly.

Bob posting the photo of him and Glenn is a nice touch. I'm not really a fan of Bob, not because I don't like his music (though I've always loved Night Moves) but because I haven't really put the effort in to become familiar with it. I'm looking forward, in this new digital world where you can hear albums before you buy them, to giving his new album a proper listen, mainly because of the Glenn connection.

You miss my point. It doesn't matter if 'they'approve of it or not. I don't approve of it. And I'm going to continue to disapprove no matter how often I am told that 'they' approve. Sorry.

Annoying Twit
11-23-2017, 07:01 PM
You miss my point. It doesn't matter if 'they'approve of it or not. I don't approve of it. And I'm going to continue to disapprove no matter how often I am told that 'they' approve. Sorry.

I'm not saying that you should approve of it if they do. I was just pointing out that it appears that they do. That's all I was saying. I wasn't making an argument, but making a comment. Yes, Bob Seger was in context which is what made me think about it, but I wasn't arguing in order to convince anybody of anything; it just made me think and hence I commented.

People are allowed to feel the way that they want to. All of: them, you, others, and I hope me as well.

UndertheWire
11-23-2017, 07:02 PM
I'm grateful to Bob Seger (and Jack Tempchin) for showing that he still thinks about Glenn. With my head, I know that just because nothing is said doesn't mean it isn't felt, but it's easier to relate when someone wears their heart on their sleeve.

I don't feel comfortable when I read about the new tour but I agree that those of Glenn's friends and family who have commented appear to support it.

Dawn
11-23-2017, 08:03 PM
Personally, I seriously doubt if any of Glenn's close friends do not "approve" they would say so publically.

Annoying Twit
11-23-2017, 08:16 PM
Personally, I seriously doubt if any of Glenn's close friends do not "approve" they would say so publically.

Sorry, but I'm not sure that I understand your meaning here. Could you perhaps rephrase that?

Dawn
11-23-2017, 08:22 PM
Sorry, but I'm not sure that I understand your meaning here. Could you perhaps rephrase that?

What don't you understand?

Annoying Twit
11-23-2017, 08:26 PM
What don't you understand?

Your sentence:

has two phrases which are not connected. Did you mean:

Personally, I seriously doubt if any of Glenn's close friends do not "approve"; they would say so publically.

or did you mean:

Personally, I seriously doubt that if any of Glenn's close friends do not "approve" that they would say so publically.

My two paraphrases of your sentence have opposite meanings. I'm not sure which one you mean. Or, I could have it even more wrong, and you may mean something different from either of them.

New Kid In Town
11-23-2017, 08:41 PM
AT - I can't answer for Dawn, but I take it to mean that if any friends/family disapprove of the "New Eagles" they would keep those thoughts to themselves.

Edit to reflect the change from FP to Dawn - sorry FP. It's been a long day !

Dawn
11-23-2017, 08:43 PM
I am saying I seriously doubt friends who do not approve would say they do not approve publically.

Dawn
11-23-2017, 08:43 PM
AT - I can't answer for FP, but I take it to mean that if any friends/family disapprove of the "New Eagles" they would keep those thoughts to themselves.

Thank you that is correct!

New Kid In Town
11-23-2017, 08:52 PM
Dawn - No problem. Sorry for naming FP instead of you. I edited it. It's been a long day !

Annoying Twit
11-23-2017, 09:04 PM
I am saying I seriously doubt friends who do not approve would say they do not approve publically.

I do not think that this would be the case. Certainly if we look at other situations where there have been contentious actions by bands, friends, family, and loved ones have not been open and very ready to express their disapproval when they have disapproved.

If someone like Bob Seger didn't approve of Eagles continuing, then I don't believe that he would play with them. He can, and is, give his own tribute to Glenn in any way that he wishes to; there is no compulsion for him to play with Eagles if he believes that is wrong.

If members of the Frey family didn't approve of what Deacon was doing (and Eagles continuing) then I see no reason why they would not say so. Certainly, other musical families have been very open about disapproval when they have disapproved. Everything I see implies very strongly that friends, family, and loved ones of Glenn approve.

It's possible that there are mysterious reasons why people may disapprove but not say or do anything to indicate that they disapprove. But in this case people seem to be going beyond that and doing things that imply the opposite: that they approve. I think we need some sort of evidence before we give any such claim (and I'm not saying that you're claiming this) credence. Otherwise I think it's reasonable to assume that the world is as we see it to be.

EDIT: I thought about who might be close to Glenn but not have commented in any way on Eagles continuing. Jack Tempchin came to mind. I looked through some 2017 interviews (and am playing 'Peaceful Easy Feeling: The Songs of Jack Tempchin' as I did so and now) and found no comments. But, I looked on his Facebook, and found him reposting announcements of Eagles 2018 tour. https://www.facebook.com/JackTempchin/

Dawn
11-23-2017, 09:37 PM
Sorry, AT but I do not believe Glenn's close friends or former band members for that matter would be comfortable publically expressing their disapproval.

Annoying Twit
11-23-2017, 09:40 PM
Sorry, AT but I do not believe Glenn's close friends or former band members for that matter would be comfortable publically expressing their disapproval.

Who do you think disapproves, and why do you think that they disapprove?

Dawn
11-23-2017, 09:44 PM
Sorry, AT but I do not believe Glenn's close friends or former band members for that matter would be comfortable publically expressing their disapproval. Nothing mysterious about it.

Dawn
11-23-2017, 09:46 PM

No comment.

Freypower
11-23-2017, 09:46 PM

It isn't a question of knowing if anyone disapproves. It's this automatic assumption that they MUST approve, without question, that we are querying. We don't KNOW. You may be right. But you can't just take it as absolute fact. You are the one who is doing so, well, you & everyone else who agrees with you. You say that because nobody has SAID they disapprove, ipso facto they approve. You even say they are 'doing the opposite - they are indicating they approve' when there is precisely no evidence for this.

The Frey family are private people; they are not public figures. They don't really have a forum in which they can express their views either way.

Annoying Twit
11-23-2017, 10:16 PM
It isn't a question of knowing if anyone disapproves. It's this automatic assumption that they MUST approve, without question, that we are querying. We don't KNOW. You may be right. But you can't just take it as absolute fact. You are the one who is doing so, well, you & everyone else who agrees with you. You say that because nobody has SAID they disapprove, ipso facto they approve. You even say they are 'doing the opposite - they are indicating they approve' when there is precisely no evidence for this.

The Frey family are private people; they are not public figures. They don't really have a forum in which they can express their views either way.

I'm not making any automatic assumptions, or taking anything as fact. What I do want to do is, if you'll excuse the scientific bias, collect evidence pro and con, and then find the theory that best fits the evidence.

Dawn has suggested that there may be people close to Glenn who disapprove but are not saying so. I did wish to make sure that I understood her fully, and then I asked her for her reasons for thinking this. I did this so that I could fully understand her point and give it proper consideration.

What we see is, for example, the Frey family very involved in the tour, including Deacon playing in the band (And doing an excellent job) and family members accompanying him. We see that Bob Seger played with the band. We see that Jack Tempchin has posted links about recent Eagles (with Deacon) concerts to his Facebook page. This is evidence that they approve. Particularly for the Frey family. You say that they are private, but they are a crucial part of the band continuing. I don't see it as credible that they do not approve given their actions.

If I thought that Glenn would not approve of Eagles continuing, then I would oppose it. I'm fully prepared to change my mind if there is good reason to, but at present all I can see is people who were close to Glenn who appear to approve of Eagles continuing. For me this is evidence that Glenn would have approved of what is happening, because all these people know Glenn infinitely better than any of us.

So, everything I see suggests that Eagles continuing is a reasonable thing.

I'm not saying it's proven or absolute fact that they approve. However, given what we see, I believe that it's overwhelmingly likely that they approve. Deacon in the band. Cindy and other Frey family members 'cheering on' Deacon and the band at Classic East. Bob playing with the band, and so on. I've just found out about the relationship between Jimmy Buffet and Glenn, and Jimmy is going to be opening for the band. The evidence that those close to Glenn approve is very strong. If there is evidence that others disapprove (I only know of Don Felder's statement), then please tell me. Otherwise the evidence, and there is a fair amount of it, all points in one direction. Hence, I will believe (not take as fact) that what the evidence shows, is true.

If anyone has reasons why they believe it's a bad thing for Eagles to continue, then I'm interested in hearing their reasons for thinking so. And I'm fully prepared to look into their reasons for doing so. However, I can't give other people's points of view proper consideration unless I understand them, including what they base these points of view on. This is not, I believe, being rude or argumentative for the sake of it. This is the way that people with different viewpoints properly discuss them and at least come to an understanding of each other's viewpoint.

Dawn
11-23-2017, 10:20 PM
Dawn - No problem. Sorry for naming FP instead of you. I edited it. It's been a long day !

Not a problem NKIT I am relaxing after a long day myself. Hope you had a wonderful holiday!

Dawn
11-23-2017, 10:42 PM
Speaking of Jimmy Buffet, he does about 20-30 shows a year and has been touring nearly every year since I last saw him in 2000. No surprise Azoff paired the band with Buffet. Or James Taylor. Or anyone else in his rolodex.

chaim
11-23-2017, 11:18 PM
I don't know or care whether those close to Glenn approve or disapprove, but if someone disapproves, and doesn't talk about in public, the reason for that doesn't have to be "mysterious". One very obvious reason would be that they would feel uncomfortable doing it, because they could to start a fight in public with people they care about. Even when someone says they're are ok with it, they could have issues with it. But it is true that we haven't seen signs of disapproval. And people who play with them or post links in their Facebook page most likely don't disapprove. Everyone in the Frey family doesn't necessarily like it. (Has JD Souther said anything? He said the Eagles were over after Glenn passed away.)

Freypower
11-23-2017, 11:18 PM
I'm not making any automatic assumptions, or taking anything as fact. What I do want to do is, if you'll excuse the scientific bias, collect evidence pro and con, and then find the theory that best fits the evidence.

Dawn has suggested that there may be people close to Glenn who disapprove but are not saying so. I did wish to make sure that I understood her fully, and then I asked her for her reasons for thinking this. I did this so that I could fully understand her point and give it proper consideration.

What we see is, for example, the Frey family very involved in the tour, including Deacon playing in the band (And doing an excellent job) and family members accompanying him. We see that Bob Seger played with the band. We see that Jack Tempchin has posted links about recent Eagles (with Deacon) concerts to his Facebook page. This is evidence that they approve. Particularly for the Frey family. You say that they are private, but they are a crucial part of the band continuing. I don't see it as credible that they do not approve given their actions.

If I thought that Glenn would not approve of Eagles continuing, then I would oppose it. I'm fully prepared to change my mind if there is good reason to, but at present all I can see is people who were close to Glenn who appear to approve of Eagles continuing. For me this is evidence that Glenn would have approved of what is happening, because all these people know Glenn infinitely better than any of us.

So, everything I see suggests that Eagles continuing is a reasonable thing.

I'm not saying it's proven or absolute fact that they approve. However, given what we see, I believe that it's overwhelmingly likely that they approve. Deacon in the band. Cindy and other Frey family members 'cheering on' Deacon and the band at Classic East. Bob playing with the band, and so on. I've just found out about the relationship between Jimmy Buffet and Glenn, and Jimmy is going to be opening for the band. The evidence that those close to Glenn approve is very strong. If there is evidence that others disapprove (I only know of Don Felder's statement), then please tell me. Otherwise the evidence, and there is a fair amount of it, all points in one direction. Hence, I will believe (not take as fact) that what the evidence shows, is true.

If anyone has reasons why they believe it's a bad thing for Eagles to continue, then I'm interested in hearing their reasons for thinking so. And I'm fully prepared to look into their reasons for doing so. However, I can't give other people's points of view proper consideration unless I understand them, including what they base these points of view on. This is not, I believe, being rude or argumentative for the sake of it. This is the way that people with different viewpoints properly discuss them and at least come to an understanding of each other's viewpoint.

Read the Eagles 3.0 thread. You know very well what the arguments against them continuing are. If you claim not to know, I don't know what to tell you. For them to continue is 'reasonable' for YOU.

As for the rest of it I suppose you are right, but that does not change what I said all along, that all the approval in the world does not mean that I PERSONALLY have to approve of it, and I would like that viewpoint respected instead of people constantly telling me that despite what I think it's all just hunky dory.

YoungEaglesFan
11-24-2017, 12:08 AM
I’ve seen this scene play out a couple times for Me personally and for others. I’ve had trouble avoiding arguments which is my fault but there have been times when I just tried to understand other view points and all I’m told is “I don’t know what to tell you”. It’s a tough place to be (for me at least) to avoid arguing but then try to gain a deeper understanding when all I get told is that.

Annoying Twit
11-24-2017, 03:29 AM
Read the Eagles 3.0 thread. You know very well what the arguments against them continuing are. If you claim not to know, I don't know what to tell you. For them to continue is 'reasonable' for YOU.

I have read much of the 3.0 thread, over time. What I see there are people making claims, and expressing their beliefs about things. What I don't see is people making reasoned cases for their claims.

I must admit that certain things, such as this seeming belief that those close to Glenn are unable to express their opposition (even as they seemingly support the band) seem very odd to me. Note: I'm not saying, given your most recent posting, that you yourself are thinking this.

Hence me wanting to know more about why people are believing what they believe.

As for the rest of it I suppose you are right, but that does not change what I said all along, that all the approval in the world does not mean that I PERSONALLY have to approve of it, and I would like that viewpoint respected instead of people constantly telling me that despite what I think it's all just hunky dory.

No, you don't have to approve of it if you don't want to. Neither do you have to explain yourself if you don't want to. However, I wished to understand why people are believing things. E.g. in this thread what appears to be (as far as I can see) a belief that those close to Glenn may well not approve of Eagles continuing but not be expressing that in public. Hence I have tried to learn more about this, including going off and doing quite a bit of research about what those close to Glenn have done.

When you say that you would like your viewpoint respected, what do you mean by this? How should other forum members be acting towards you and your posts?

UndertheWire
11-24-2017, 05:44 AM
AT, I don't think anyone has implied any knowledge of anyone close to Glenn disapproving. Rather, that if someone disapproved they would be likely to keep quiet, at least publically, out of respect for Glenn's family. Therefore it isn't a safe assumption that everyone approves just because no one has expressed disapproval. Perhaps I'm reading it that way, because that's the conclusion I'd already reached on my own.

What we do know is that Cindy, Deacon and Taylor Frey, Irving Azoff, Don Henley, Joe Walsh, Timothy B Schmit, Bob Seger, Jack Tempchin and Thomas Sullivan have shown support or acceptance of the band continuing.

Annoying Twit
11-24-2017, 06:49 AM
AT, I don't think anyone has implied any knowledge of anyone close to Glenn disapproving. Rather, that if someone disapproved they would be likely to keep quiet, at least publically, out of respect for Glenn's family. Therefore it isn't a safe assumption that everyone approves just because no one has expressed disapproval. Perhaps I'm reading it that way, because that's the conclusion I'd already reached on my own.

What we do know is that Cindy, Deacon and Taylor Frey, Irving Azoff, Don Henley, Joe Walsh, Timothy B Schmit, Bob Seger, Jack Tempchin and Thomas Sullivan have shown support or acceptance of the band continuing.

I don't have the time to go through Eagles 3.0 to check, and my memory is definitely far from perfect. But, I think I did see someone say that they believed that Glenn would not approve of Eagles continuing. I held my tongue then.

I've noted that Jackson Browne, Bernie Leadon, and JD Souther don't seem to have said anything about the reunion. Even when they discuss Eagles in interviews. Hence, I classify their opinions as unknown at present. I find it difficult to believe that Jackson would not make a statement if he strongly disagreed, but don't claim in any way that that is a strong argument. I don't count Jackson singing at the Grammys as evidence that he supports Eagles continuing as I don't think anyone expected Eagles to continue at that point.

Didn't Randy attend an Eagles concert, even if he didn't perform?

However, my point is that nearly all that we know suggests approval. We haven't had anyone near to Eagles except for Don Felder come out against it that I know of. And how close is Don F to Eagles, on a personal level, now?

Clearly my belief can be falsified if people such as Jackson, JD, or others suddenly make a public statement. That would make the situation more mixed. However, at the moment I think it safe to assume that most people close to Eagles approve, and I don't feel that it's likely that some people are holding their tongue. As in similar contentious situations, people are usually quite forthcoming about their objections.

UndertheWire
11-24-2017, 07:28 AM
I imagine that JD Souther, Jackson Browne and Bernie Leadon would consider that it's not their decision to make and therefore none of their business.

As for Don Felder, we know he isn't close and I believe he was just taking the opportunity to make a quick jab at Henley.

Annoying Twit
11-24-2017, 07:34 AM
I imagine that JD Souther, Jackson Browne and Bernie Leadon would consider that it's not their decision to make and therefore none of their business.

As for Don Felder, we know he isn't close and I believe he was just taking the opportunity to make a quick jab at Henley.

Both statements are entirely possible.

chaim
11-24-2017, 09:45 AM
I’ve seen this scene play out a couple times for Me personally and for others. I’ve had trouble avoiding arguments which is my fault but there have been times when I just tried to understand other view points and all I’m told is “I don’t know what to tell you”. It’s a tough place to be (for me at least) to avoid arguing but then try to gain a deeper understanding when all I get told is that.

When I saw someone say “I don’t know what to tell you” to you, she had said the same thing a few times already, but it seemed that you just replied what you had said already and didn't comment her words in any way. I didn't see how you were trying to understand her viewpoint. I don't know about other occasions, who has said what, so I'm not saying that what you claim hasn't happened.

chaim
11-24-2017, 09:50 AM

Exactly.

Dawn
11-24-2017, 12:35 PM
Chaim, UTW, NKIT and FP just want to acknowledge your efforts to help explain and/or clarify the point I was trying to make. Much appreciated - thank you!

secret squirrel
11-24-2017, 01:09 PM
It's not about percentages of classic line-ups, at least not for me.

Glenn started the band with Don Henley, but it's not just that. Both of them have been in it since day one and are fundamental to its sound. Both are essential to the Eagles. Therefore, neither Henley nor Frey are replaceable. The removal of one of them is not simply "a lower percentage of the classic line up."

Totally agree. Even if Bernie, Don F and Randy were to return, I would feel the same. I don't know if I'm being super sensitive but it seems disrespectful to Glenn. He was, forgive the pun, instrumental, to the Eagles. Not only his musicianship, his voice, his writing, but his personality and attitude.

SS
xx
http://sshh-sshh.blogspot.co.uk/2016/05/eagles-glenn-frey-beyond-cool-band-for.html

New Kid In Town
11-24-2017, 01:11 PM
Dawn - No problem, my pleasure. :)
Hope you had a great Thanksgiving. I did and am exhausted today lol.

New Kid In Town
11-24-2017, 01:14 PM
Chaim - :lol: That quote always cracks me up !

WalshFan88
11-24-2017, 02:29 PM
Which, again, reminds me of my favorite Freudian slip. Don Felder: "For me it's all about the money...the music". :lol:

:lol:

YoungEaglesFan
11-24-2017, 03:00 PM
For me, I can still like someone's or a group's music even if I don't like them as people or they've disappointed me. I listen to some artists music that I wouldn't ever want to meet in person and we don't share the same views/ethics. So that doesn't keep me from listening or liking their music, especially what I consider to be the real band. I can separate the music from the person the majority of times.

And no, not for a minute do I believe Don Henley or Irving Azoff are above lying.

That is fair opinion. I don’t happen to think the same way but I can understand that. I think Irving would lie but I don’t think Don would intentionally mislead today. He might backtrack but I doubt he would lie.

chaim
11-24-2017, 03:06 PM
That is fair opinion. I don’t happen to think the same way but I can understand that. I think Irving would lie but I don’t think Don would intentionally mislead today. He might backtrack but I doubt he would lie.

Probably true.

WalshFan88
11-24-2017, 03:24 PM
I don’t think Don would intentionally mislead today. He might backtrack but I doubt he would lie.

Perhaps, but I don't believe him when he says why they were continuing on. From what I know of the band, have seen, plus his actions tell me this is a shameless cash grab. And it reeks of greed. Again, that's just my observation. I stand by it.

Speaking of money, I would bet a good sum that it wasn't just Deacon that made them continue. If Deacon had said no, Don would have tried to move on with another singer and see how fans would react. The buck didn't stop with Deacon, IMO.

Maybe he's not a pathological liar, but I think he fibs from time to time. ;)

YoungEaglesFan
11-24-2017, 03:39 PM
Perhaps, but I don't believe him when he says why they were continuing on. From what I know of the band, have seen, plus his actions tell me this is a shameless cash grab. And it reeks of greed. Again, that's just my observation. I stand by it.

Speaking of money, I would bet a good sum that it wasn't just Deacon that made them continue. If Deacon had said no, Don would have tried to move on with another singer and see how fans would react. The buck didn't stop with Deacon, IMO.

My take on the resumption of the Eagles was that it motivated by money. That’s why bands tour at this age. But that without Deacon being there the Frey family would probably not support it, it would be more criticized, and people would just be turned off by the thought of another tour. I agree it wasn’t just Deacon, but without Deacon I don’t think a new tour would be feasible. I don’t think the guys in the band are mal intentioned. It’s arguable if what they are doing is right or wrong but I don’t think they are doing out of [I]just[I] greed. I think the band believes what they are doing is just. I don’t like the view they are doing it just to get more money and are lying to cover that part up.

YoungEaglesFan
11-24-2017, 03:43 PM

Well there is a back and forth about Bob Segar supporting the band continuing, so I wouldn’t list him

YoungEaglesFan
11-24-2017, 03:45 PM
When I saw someone say “I don’t know what to tell you” to you, she had said the same thing a few times already, but it seemed that you just replied what you had said already and didn't comment her words in any way. I didn't see how you were trying to understand her viewpoint. I don't know about other occasions, who has said what, so I'm not saying that what you claim hasn't happened.

You’re right about the last instance in the case of me talking about Glenn and the harmonies. I’m talking about other instances. Should have clarified my bad

YoungEaglesFan
11-24-2017, 03:47 PM

You’re right, in that instance (the Glenn and the harmonies discussion). I meant this and another instance but I should have clarified. My bad

Dawn
11-24-2017, 03:57 PM

You know, the more I actually think about it and reflect upon thought provoking posts like this one and others the more I realize had Deacon said no it is quite possible, perhaps even likely, they would have at least tried to find another solution rather than just hang it up.

WalshFan88
11-24-2017, 04:15 PM
My take on the resumption of the Eagles was that it motivated by money. That’s why bands tour at this age. But that without Deacon being there the Frey family would probably not support it, it would be more criticized, and people would just be turned off by the thought of another tour. I agree it wasn’t just Deacon, but without Deacon I don’t think a new tour would be feasible. I don’t think the guys in the band are mal intentioned. It’s arguable if what they are doing is right or wrong but I don’t think they are doing out of [I]just[I] greed. I think the band believes what they are doing is just. I don’t like the view they are doing it just to get more money and are lying to cover that part up.

And obviously that has worked for Don and Co. "Oh, Deacon is involved so it all must be alright, let's go!" is a common trend amongst those going. That was never going to be enough for me, considering what was behind it all, IMO.

That said, I think Don would have tried it without him. It may not have worked but I bet dollars to donuts he would give it a whirl and see how it played out.

I just wish they'd be more forthcoming about the reasons. It isn't for the love of it, not from what I've pieced together. It's absolutely about one last big cash grab. Maybe it is therapeutic for Deacon as he's claimed, but that wasn't going to be the motivation for Irving or Don or even Tim or Joe, IMO. My guess is that Irving and Don had it all planned out with all bases covered before Deacon got the call. They would have had alternatives lined up and the money all figured out.

Freypower
11-24-2017, 04:23 PM
I have read much of the 3.0 thread, over time. What I see there are people making claims, and expressing their beliefs about things. What I don't see is people making reasoned cases for their claims.

I must admit that certain things, such as this seeming belief that those close to Glenn are unable to express their opposition (even as they seemingly support the band) seem very odd to me. Note: I'm not saying, given your most recent posting, that you yourself are thinking this.

Hence me wanting to know more about why people are believing what they believe.

No, you don't have to approve of it if you don't want to. Neither do you have to explain yourself if you don't want to. However, I wished to understand why people are believing things. E.g. in this thread what appears to be (as far as I can see) a belief that those close to Glenn may well not approve of Eagles continuing but not be expressing that in public. Hence I have tried to learn more about this, including going off and doing quite a bit of research about what those close to Glenn have done.

When you say that you would like your viewpoint respected, what do you mean by this? How should other forum members be acting towards you and your posts?

For a start, the thread was originally about Bob Seger's heartfelt comments about Glenn in an article. It was you who made the statement that you believed Seger approved of the band continuing. I responded to that - to my great regret. Now the entire topic has been derailed for which I must accept some responsibilty & for which I apologise.

If you don't think the people who oppose this have made 'reasoned' claims then no amount of restating the case will convince you otherwise. So forgive me, but I am not going over it again.

You talk about 'research' implying that you & only you are able to see this in a rational, unemotional manner. Your approach to this subject is very similar to someone who no longer posts here.

When I say I wish my opinion to be respected I mean precisely that, just as you wish yours to be respected. Is that so hard to understand?

Freypower
11-24-2017, 04:25 PM

My use of the phrase 'I don't know what to tell you' above was directed at AT, not you. My discussion in this thread has been with him, not you.

New Kid In Town
11-24-2017, 04:35 PM
Austin - I agree. Deacon was the frosting on the cake so to speak. He made it legit and acceptable to many, many fans. I have said all along that I think Don(and Irving) were planing this as far back as March 2016, when he gave that interview with that Montreal newspaper. And, that was only two months after Glenn passed.
When I listened to that interview the guys gave in March 2017 to i-heart radio, via my local classic rock station, Joe was the only one who sounded hesitant. Don and Tim gushed on and on about doing it for the fans and saying over and over that Glenn would have approved. Like they were trying to convince everyone it was ok.

New Kid In Town
11-24-2017, 04:50 PM
FP - I think Chaim was referring to my posts with NEF. We went back and forth regarding me being able to hear/pick out Glenn's vocal harmonies with no problem. She stated she could never hear/distinguish him in songs. I think I also may have also told her "I don't know what to tell you".
Hope I didn't put you on the spot.

YoungEaglesFan
11-24-2017, 05:03 PM
Austin - I agree. Deacon was the frosting on the cake so to speak. He made it legit and acceptable to many, many fans. I have said all along that I think Don(and Irving) were planing this as far back as March 2016, when he gave that interview with that Montreal newspaper. And, that was only two months after Glenn passed.
When I listened to that interview the guys gave in March 2017 to i-heart radio, via my local classic rock station, Joe was the only one who sounded hesitant. Don and Tim gushed on and on about doing it for the fans and saying over and over that Glenn would have approved. Like they were trying to convince everyone it was ok.

I don’t really think the band thinks about whether or not this was a right thing to do. This discussion is mainly limited to here and some smaller websites. Most people don’t really question if it’s ok for the band to keep going. I doubt they spend time worrying about convincing fans that this is the right thing to do

WalshFan88
11-24-2017, 05:07 PM
I don’t really think the band thinks about whether or not this was a right thing to do. This discussion is mainly limited to here and some smaller websites. Most people don’t really question if it’s ok for the band to keep going. I doubt they spend time worrying about convincing fans that this is the right thing to do

Obviously. They've got the "majority" (read: casual fans) brainwashed, as it were. I think it has to do with bringing Deacon along. Then it was ok. Deacon was the icing on the already meticulously baked cake. But if not Deacon, Don would have tested the water with someone else and see if tickets sell. They wouldn't have stopped if Deacon told them no. The only thing that would have stopped them is no or little sales.

New Kid In Town
11-24-2017, 05:10 PM
Obviously. They've got the "majority" brainwashed, as it were. I think it has to do with bringing Deacon along. Then it was ok. Deacon was the icing on the already meticulously baked cake. But if not Deacon, Don would have tested the water with someone else and see if tickets sell. They wouldn't have stopped if Deacon told them no. The only thing that would have stopped them is no or little sales.

Well YEF, I agree with you in that I think the band and Irving do not give a crap what anyone thinks. They made their decision and that was it, whether people like it or not.

YoungEaglesFan
11-24-2017, 05:12 PM
Obviously. They've got the "majority" brainwashed, as it were. I think it has to do with bringing Deacon along. Then it was ok. Deacon was the icing on the already meticulously baked cake. But if not Deacon, Don would have tested the water with someone else and see if tickets sell. They wouldn't have stopped if Deacon told them no. The only thing that would have stopped them is no or little sales.

I don’t even think most fans care enough to think about the issue deeply. A lot of hardcore fans are on here. But most don’t spend their time researching the band a lot. I

YoungEaglesFan
11-24-2017, 05:13 PM
Well YEF, I agree with you in that I think the band and Irving do not give a crap what anyone thinks. They made their decision and that was it, whether people like it or not.

This is why I think picking Deacon was a actual heartfelt move. They wanted to bring Glenn along in some fashion. I don’t think it was done out of self serving interest

WalshFan88
11-24-2017, 05:14 PM
I don’t even think most fans care enough to think about the issue deeply. A lot of hardcore fans are on here. But most don’t spend their time researching the band a lot. I

This is true. There is a huge difference between a casual fan and a hardcore who knows everything about the band. Most casual fans are easy to brainwash. They don't know the backstory. They just like the songs. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but neither is knowing the band well and calling it as they see it.

New Kid In Town
11-24-2017, 05:17 PM
This is why I think picking Deacon was a actual heartfelt move. They wanted to bring Glenn along in some fashion. I don’t think it was done out of self serving interest

YEF - I could not disagree with you more. In MHO, picking Deacon had nothing to do with being a 'heartfelt move". It was a monetary move to justify the Eagles continuing without Glenn. Nothing more, nothing less.

maryc2130
11-24-2017, 05:19 PM
Just because my opinion about this is different from yours does not mean I was brainwashed, and I resent the implication that I was. I am more than capable of thinking things through myself, and my decision had nothing to do with anything Don or Irving might have said.

YoungEaglesFan
11-24-2017, 05:20 PM
My use of the phrase 'I don't know what to tell you' above was directed at AT, not you. My discussion in this thread has been with him, not you.

I know. It’s just something I don’t like to see is all. Sorry for the confusion

YoungEaglesFan
11-24-2017, 05:21 PM
YEF - I could not disagree with you more. In MHO, picking Deacon had nothing to do with being a 'heartfelt move". It was a monetary move to justify the Eagles continuing without Glenn. Nothing more, nothing less.

Well I strongly disagree with that and I’m dissapointed some feel that way but I dont wish to start an argument over it.

WalshFan88
11-24-2017, 05:22 PM
Just because my opinion about this is different from yours does not mean I was brainwashed, and I resent the implication that I was. I am more than capable of thinking things through myself, and my decision had nothing to do with anything Don or Irving might have said.

I wasn't talking about Borderers who know the band well. I'm talking about the casual fans who like the Eagles but couldn't name all the members or what album came first or only know them because of their biggest hits. THOSE people are easy to brainwash. Not you.

WalshFan88
11-24-2017, 05:22 PM

Yep, it was a way to get more people onboard with it. Not heartfelt in the slightest.

VillageGirl
11-24-2017, 05:25 PM

"Brainwashed"? So those of us that aren't opposed to them continuing are idiots and can't think for ourselves?

I realize 3.0 is a place where those who are unhappy with the Eagles continuing can vent, but no need to get nasty.

New Kid In Town
11-24-2017, 05:25 PM
Well I strongly disagree with that and I’m dissapointed some feel that way but I dont wish to start an argument over it.

I do not want to argue either. We will have to agree to disagree.

WalshFan88
11-24-2017, 05:28 PM
"Brainwashed"? So those of us that aren't opposed to them continuing are idiots and can't think for ourselves?

I realize 3.0 is a place where those who are unhappy with the Eagles continuing can vent, but no need to get nasty.

I don't consider Borderers on either side of the fence the majority. Please read what I replied to on maryc's post. I'm talking about the people who can't even name all the members or only know a few songs but couldn't name 4 albums.

I consider Borderers to be hardcore fans, not casual fans who don't know any better.

Freypower
11-24-2017, 05:30 PM
FP - I think Chaim was referring to my posts with NEF. We went back and forth regarding me being able to hear/pick out Glenn's vocal harmonies with no problem. She stated she could never hear/distinguish him in songs. I think I also may have also told her "I don't know what to tell you".
Hope I didn't put you on the spot.

No, it's just that literally in the post above where YEF referred to that phrase, I had used it in response to AT.

VillageGirl
11-24-2017, 05:30 PM

Thanks Mary. You must have posted this at the same time I posted my reply. Just because you are upset with a decision doesn't give you the right to be condescending and snarky.

YoungEaglesFan
11-24-2017, 05:33 PM
I don't consider Borderers on either side of the fence the majority. Please read what I replied to on maryc's post. I'm talking about the people who can't even name all the members or only know a few songs but couldn't name 4 albums.

I consider Borderers to be hardcore fans, not casual fans who don't know any better.

I think brainwash is the wrong word. I think they saw the news that the Eagles were touring again and said “Cool the Eagles are touring with Glenn Frey’s son and Vince Gill. Let’s go see them” I don’t think they either paid attention to what the band said or if they did, thought deeply about it. I don’t think what Irving and Don said effected what people’s opinion. So i don’t think brainwash is accurate. Though you are right most don’t know much about the band and are comparable to sheep in our context

WalshFan88
11-24-2017, 05:36 PM
I think brainwash is the wrong word. I think they saw the news that the Eagles were touring again and said “Cool the Eagles are touring with Glenn Frey’s son and Vince Gill. Let’s go see them” I don’t think they either paid attention to what the band said or if they did, thought deeply about it. I don’t think what Irving and Don said effected what people’s opinion. So i don’t think brainwash is accurate. Though you are right most don’t know much about the band and are comparable to sheep in our context

Perhaps the wrong word. More like uninformed.

But my guess there are even people who don't even know Glenn is gone. Probably a very small few, but I'm sure they exist. They wouldn't know anything about the band besides "Oooh, Hotel California!".

Sheep is right. And no, I'm not putting anyone on this board in that group, if it wasn't already clear.