PDA

View Full Version : RIP John Stewart

sodascouts
01-30-2008, 04:40 PM
In the wake of Heath Ledger's tragic passing at such a young age, the death of John Stewart a little over a week ago hasn't received much attention. But he was a great and highly influential musician, from his days in the Kingston Trio and a freelance songwriter writing such hits as the Monkees' "Daydream Believer", to his later solo efforts - most famously, "Gold" in 1979 (which was inspired by his friendship with Lindsey Buckingham and watching his meteoric rise in Fleetwood Mac).

I remember one time he did a Q&A session with a Fleetwood Mac fansite, answering questions from fans. He was so unassuming and humble - it was really refreshing. I asked him a question about his lyrics because I wanted to understand them better, and he told me that he was "honored" that I was his fan because I appreciated the message as well as the music. I will never forget how he made me feel.

Stewart died from a massive stroke at the age of 68.

Here is the new story:
http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/california/la-me-stewart21jan21,1,6104418.story?coll=la-headlines-pe-california

And a lovely fan tribute:
http://www.chillywinds.com/

Perfect Little Sister
01-30-2008, 04:52 PM
Oh my gosh! He was too young. He sounds like a wonderful person.

Maleah
01-30-2008, 04:57 PM
How sad! sounds like a true gentleman. I just hate to hear news like this, whether I know the person or not. I can't wait for a day with no more death. :cry:

Mrs Frey
01-31-2008, 06:54 AM
I'm very sorry to read about this, Soda. I am not familiar with him, but I do know "Daydream Believer" - a lovely song. He seems to have made quite an impact on you, and it's easy to see why. My condolences go to his family and friends, and may he rest in peace.

Maleah, I was so touched when I read the last line of your post. I just want to give you a hug. :hug:

Glennsallnighter
01-31-2008, 07:54 AM
I too love 'Daydream Believer'. Although I wasn't familiar with its writer I'm nevertheless saddened by his passing, as he obviously contributed much to the world of music.

My Conolences to his family friends and colleagues in the music business.

Maleah
01-31-2008, 10:38 AM
Maleah, I was so touched when I read the last line of your post. I just want to give you a hug. :hug:

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

tbs fanatic
01-31-2008, 01:03 PM
I am not familiar with him either. How sad. I, of course, know Daydream Believer as I was an avid Monkees fan in my time.

Ive always been a dreamer
01-31-2008, 01:25 PM
My condolences to his family as well. I didn't know he wrote Daydream Believer either. It is one of my favorite Monkees song.

EasyFeeling
01-31-2008, 01:42 PM
I'm sorry to hear this. I didn't know who he was before you mentioned the song.

Mrs Frey
02-01-2008, 10:38 AM

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Awwwwwwwwww... you're so sweet, Maleah!

Maleah
02-02-2008, 01:17 AM
Well you made my day go so much better by giving me a much needed hug, that I wanted to give you lots of hugs in return :) :hug: