PDA

View Full Version : Don on Virgin Radio this week

glenneaglesfan
02-10-2008, 10:32 AM
I've just heard that Don is going to give an exclusive interview to Ben Jones on Virgin Radio this Tuesday, 12 February, programme start time 19.00 GMT.

I'm going to try and record it, but we should also be able to listen online.

DonFan
02-11-2008, 09:59 AM
Thanks for the tip, GEF! Could someone please record it? I won't be able to listen--I have work commitments all day Tuesday and a business dinner to attend that night.

glenneaglesfan
02-12-2008, 07:08 PM
Aagh, sorry I didn't hear this properly. I had the radio on this evening, and at 9.32 GMT, they mentioned Don. I rushed into the study to record it on my computer, and got a few words from Don before they announced that the full interview will be coming soon... Gutted, and apologies if anyone wasted their time looking out for it tonight.

Glennsallnighter
02-12-2008, 07:10 PM
Oh well! If you hear any more please let us know GEF. Thanks for your efforts

katherine5832
02-15-2008, 07:29 PM
Posted on www.donhenley.com:

"On Sunday, February 24th, Virgin Radio will play an on-air interview with Don Henley. The interview conducted by Ben Jones will take place from 9-10pm London time. Click http://www.virginradio.co.uk/?source=listenpage to visit their website where you can listen online. "

I guess I know what I'll be doing prior to the Academy Awards that evening! :D

P.S. - That's 4:00 - 5:00 p.m. Eastern Time in the U.S.

DonFan
02-15-2008, 07:34 PM
Thanks Katherine! I'll be listening right along with you!

glenneaglesfan
02-17-2008, 01:18 PM
Thanks from me as well, Katherine, and I will try to record it!

glenneaglesfan
02-24-2008, 05:43 PM
Just indulging myself in this programme. I'm trying to record it. They've just played WDIDWMH, so I'm now offiically a blob of jelly.

sodascouts
02-24-2008, 06:08 PM
I've tried to record it too. All was well until the very last bit when they were talking about Waiting in the Weeds. I got it with errors.

Don seems really into the idea of doing WITW live - and a two-year world tour! Yay!

katherine5832
02-24-2008, 08:37 PM
Don seems really into the idea of doing WITW live - and a two-year world tour! Yay!

That's promising news! I missed the interview. :( I was at my sister's for dinner. I didn't think it would be polite to turn down a dinner invitation because of the interview. I'm going to check Ben Jones's site in a few days to see if it's been posted there.

Glennsallnighter
02-24-2008, 09:09 PM
I understand Katherine! Although it can be a pain when life coincides with a good interview!

If they do a 2 year tour hopefully everyone will get a chance to see them somewhere near to them. They may even come back to Dublin!

sodascouts
02-24-2008, 09:59 PM
Here's the interview in four parts:

Part 1 - 18 megs (http://www.donhenleyonline.com/multimedia/MP3/virgin2008/benjonesvirgin2008-01.mp3)

Part 2 - 18 megs (http://www.donhenleyonline.com/multimedia/MP3/virgin2008/benjonesvirgin2008-02.mp3)

Part 3 - 7 megs (http://www.donhenleyonline.com/multimedia/MP3/virgin2008/benjonesvirgin2008-03.mp3)

Part 4 - 8 megs (http://www.donhenleyonline.com/multimedia/MP3/virgin2008/benjonesvirgin2008-04.mp3)

sodascouts
02-24-2008, 10:18 PM
BTW, does anyone else find it cute how Don occasionally will use British slang here? For instance, he says he's going to bring his kids to London to "muck about" and calls JD Souther his "mate." Adaptable, that Henley! Either that or his kids dragged him off to see the Harry Potter movies one too many times.

Brooke
02-25-2008, 11:46 AM
Oh, thank you Soda! I missed this yesterday. Can't wait to listen! :D

DonFan
02-25-2008, 02:03 PM
Thanks from me, too! I am slammed with work deadlines right now, but when I get caught up, I can't wait to listen.

Freypower
02-25-2008, 05:08 PM
BTW, does anyone else find it cute how Don occasionally will use British slang here? For instance, he says he's going to bring his kids to London to "muck about" and calls JD Souther his "mate." Adaptable, that Henley! Either that or his kids dragged him off to see the Harry Potter movies one too many times.

And can I add that in the Nicky Horne LROOE interviews he actually used the phrase 'sitting on my arse' pronounced the British way. I suppose that is why he decided to use 'snogging' in FGOTBP. What a top geezer. Smashing. :wink: Not even my Geordie husband uses British slang any more (except the occasional 'shite'). Excuse me but I had to spell those out.

katherine5832
02-25-2008, 11:50 PM
Thanks for posting the interview Soda. I wasn't sure if you would or not because of the trouble you had with the last part. I really enjoyed it.

Random notes on the interview:

Is it just me or does he always seems to be cooking pancakes for his kids?! I swear this is the third interview (in print or taped) where he mentions that. Must be his specialty. Oh, to have him cook pancakes for me some morning…

I love that he went back to bed after taking the kids to school. You can never get too much sleep!

Where can I sign up to be part of their 100-person touring entourage?! Really, what’s one more person?

Could this guy have a sexier voice?

Memo to interviewers: Less music, more interview! If I wanted to hear their music, I’d listen to my CDs! I wanted to hear more from Don!

He has a very interesting way of enunciating words. For lack of a better term, he’s very precise when he pronounces words. I especially like how he pronounces words with t’s. I don’t know if it’s a Texan vs. Midwest accent or what, but he says ma- toor, while I say ma-chur (mature), or mah-toe while I say mah-doe (motto).

sodascouts
02-26-2008, 01:37 AM
Is it just me or does he always seems to be cooking pancakes for his kids?! I swear this is the third interview (in print or taped) where he mentions that. Must be his specialty. Oh, to have him cook pancakes for me some morning…

I hadn't noticed that! I think it's sweet when he mentions cute domestic moments like that, especially considering how private he is. He does seem to be sharing more nowadays.

I love that he went back to bed after taking the kids to school. You can never get too much sleep!

A man after my own heart, lol.

Where can I sign up to be part of their 100-person touring entourage?! Really, what’s one more person?

Wouldn't that be a hoot? Well, unless you're having to lift all their equipment and stuff. A nice cushy job like making sure they get the right brand of bottled water though... that would be nice!

Could this guy have a sexier voice?

It's served him well, eh? ;)

Memo to interviewers: Less music, more interview! If I wanted to hear their music, I’d listen to my CDs! I wanted to hear more from Don!

Seriously! I thought the same thing! I understand playing the new music for promotional purposes, but HC, LITFL, TIE, and TITTL? That's going a bit overboard in a program that isn't even an hour.

He has a very interesting way of enunciating words. For lack of a better term, he’s very precise when he pronounces words. I especially like how he pronounces words with t’s. I don’t know if it’s a Texan vs. Midwest accent or what, but he says ma- toor, while I say ma-chur (mature), or mah-toe while I say mah-doe (motto).

I think that's just his Texas accent - still charming, though!

DonFan
02-26-2008, 04:50 PM
I finally stole a few moments on lunch break to listen to the interview, and loved it--he sounded so relaxed and chatty. Great news to hear they are planning on touring the world for the next two years, and also, since he referred to "several songs on the cutting room floor," that is a good sign that they might release another album sometime in the future, too.

Katherine, I agree with your statement about him making pancakes--I would love him to serve those to me sometime as well. Why don't we start a little pancakes club amongst ourselves? 8)

BTW-was he murmuring about trying to find his glasses in the very beginning? I am right there with ya, Don!

glenneaglesfan
02-26-2008, 06:33 PM
DF, I'm with you there with the glasses thing!

Soda, thanks for putting it up for download. I did manage to record it but it's at very low volume. It's a lovely interview and Don sounds so relaxed. I hadn't really noticed the British colloquialisms before, but now you come to mention it, FP, I did spot the 'arse' rather than 'ass' reference. Must be that English college course he started out on.

Katherine, I had to laugh about your prior engagement - it's tough when life gets in the way of our Eagles fandom! I have to go to a conference next Sunday (Sunday, I ask you, and it's our mother's day too), and I'm really narked that I may miss the programme on VHS Classics.

DonFan
02-26-2008, 11:18 PM
Virgin Radio has put up a transcript of Don's interview. It is worth reading (even with spelling mistakes and run-on sentences--I admit it--I'm a grammar/word nerd) because it includes additional comments that were edited out of the audio.

http://www.virginradio.co.uk/music/artists/eagles/article/2580.html

Just a personal observation--what is it with Sheryl Crow and Don and "Pooky"? That was in her MusiCares message to him, too, and I am VERY curious about what it refers to!

katherine5832
02-26-2008, 11:43 PM
Virgin Radio has put up a transcript of Don's interview. It is worth reading (even with spelling mistakes and run-on sentences--I admit it--I'm a grammar/word nerd) because it includes additional comments that were edited out of the audio.

http://www.virginradio.co.uk/music/artists/eagles/article/2580.html

Just a personal observation--what is it with Sheryl Crow and Don and "Pooky"? That was in her MusiCares message to him, too, and I am VERY curious about what it refers to!

Thanks for posting that, DF. Geez, I see what you mean about the spelling mistakes - Fry, Schmidt, Leigh Rimmick??). As far as Pooky is concerned, hopefully, Sheryl Crow will clear that up in her interview.

DonFan
02-26-2008, 11:48 PM
As far as Pooky is concerned, hopefully, Sheryl Crow will clear that up in her interview.

Maybe--but I doubt it. Some things Don just likes to keep to himself. :ziplip:

Brooke
02-27-2008, 05:18 PM
I finally got to listen to this today. Don really sounded great and upbeat.

Some comments I really liked:

1. Joe has been in sobriety 14 years now. Way to go Joe! I'm so glad you have been able to handle it. :yay:

2. Don spends an hour and a half each day in the gym! Good for you!

3. "Friction with the departed" :lol:

4. Several songs didn't make the album and ended up on the cutting room floor that may appear on another album-if we decide to do one. 8)

5. JD Souther is still their good friend (mate :wink: )and was like the "secret Eagle". I'm glad they are still friends, but wasn't their a bit of discord around Don's HOTM era?

6. Don said he thought that WITW was the best song he's written in some time. It's an aerobic exercise to sing! I sure hope they get it down and do it live.

7. They'll be doing several songs from the new album on their world tour. :yay:

We're all ready and waiting for that! 8)

Thanks Soda!

Freypower
02-27-2008, 06:41 PM
Excuse the cynicism but I hope 'several' means more than How Long, BBF, GOTC and IDWTHAM. The last two are my two least favourite tracks from the album. I really don't want to see either of those songs.

Don is right to be proud of WITW, but I think it is a shame that it was not written with Glenn. But then Glenn's stuff wasn't written with Don either for the most part.

katherine5832
02-27-2008, 11:17 PM
Excuse the cynicism but I hope 'several' means more than How Long, BBF, GOTC and IDWTHAM. The last two are my two least favourite tracks from the album. I really don't want to see either of those songs.

FP, why did you list GOTC and IDWTHAM along with the other two? Are those 4 songs what they played at the Nokia Theatre opening? I would think HL and BBF are givens. I agree with you on the latter 2. I like GOTC and IDWTHAM, but of Joe's and Tim's songs on LROOE, I'd prefer to hear Last Good Time in Town and Do Something. And I know we have to take whatever the guys say in interviews with a grain (maybe a chunk) of salt, but I seem to remember one of them saying that they'd like to play at least 7 songs from the new album. And, from all accounts, Don is bored out of his gourd playing the old songs, so I'm sure he's chomping at the bit to sing a lot of the new ones. I would think with the overwhelming response that LROOE has had, they will sing more than four. Hope springs eternal?

Freypower
02-27-2008, 11:27 PM
You're absolutely correct. Those are the four songs they have played live, and I'm with you, I want to hear Do Something and LGTIT rather than Joe & Tim's other songs. Surely as you say they will do more than four.