PDA

View Full Version : New cover song

shunlvswx
03-15-2018, 11:14 PM
Don and Vince will be part of a tribute album for Elton John that will be coming out on April 6th. They will be two, but Don and Vince will be on Restoration album. They will sing Sacrifice.

http://949therock.com/elton-john-tribute-albums-to-include-don-henley-queens-of-the-stone-age-and-others/

Philh
03-16-2018, 10:13 AM
Don has teamed up with Vince to cover the Elton John song Sacrifice on a new Elton tribute album. This is released on 6th April.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/elton-john-tribute-albums/

BillBailey1976
03-16-2018, 10:18 AM
I wonder if this song will make it's way into the Eagles setlist at any point?

groupie2686
03-16-2018, 10:54 AM
I find it strange that they're doing a tribute album to Elton John now...he's still alive. I really can't imagine Henley and Vince doing a cover of Elton, but what do I know...

This is off-topic, but Elton's best, in my opinion, is his work from the early 70s, his first few albums. Elton and Bernie Taupin are such a talented songwriting team.

shunlvswx
03-16-2018, 11:10 AM
Don and Elton have history together. Don sang on one of Elton's albums and they've been at charity events together.

groupie2686
03-16-2018, 11:11 AM
Don and Elton have history. Don sang on one of his albums and they've been at charity events together

Really? Which album did he sing on? I've lost track of Elton's more recent work.

I still find it strange that they're doing this now, when he's still alive.

shunlvswx
03-16-2018, 11:18 AM
For tribute albums, you don't necessary have to be dead to have one. Jackson Browne had a tribute album a few years ago (which Don also sang on) and he's very much alive. Heck the guys had a tribute album in 1993.

The album was called Duets that came out in 1993 and they sang a song called Shakey Ground.

I don't know what the history is with Vince, but I know Don was at Elton's first American show and Don singing a duet with Elton.

Here's that song Shakey Ground. I actually didn't know this song was originally sung by The Temptations.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am7RmLBclBM

Annoying Twit
03-16-2018, 03:46 PM
For tribute albums, you don't necessary have to be dead to have one. Jackson Browne had a tribute album a few years ago and he's very much alive. Heck the guys had a tribute album in 1993.

The album was called Duets that came out in 1993 and they sang a song called Shakey Ground.

I don't know what the history is with Vince, but I know Don was at Elton's first American show and singing duet with Elton.

Here's that song Shakey Ground. I actually didn't know this song was originally sung by The Temptations.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am7RmLBclBM

I hadn't heard that before, but really enjoyed it. Off to the download store...

As for the Don H/Vince recording ... I think this is potentially huge. While things are being taken slow, if Don decides he enjoys recording with Vince, then perhaps he'll be thinking of what next...

Freypower
03-16-2018, 07:24 PM
I feel I should point out that Don, Glenn & Tim sang backup vocals on the song White Lady, White Powder (and yes, that's what the song is about) from the 21 at 33 album. I'm sure people remember the Eagles supported Elton at that huge Wembley show & he joined them on stage at the Forum in 1980, I think.

Sacrifice is one of my least favourite Elton John songs so I am in no hurry to hear this version. (NB: Because of the SONG).

shunlvswx
03-16-2018, 07:38 PM
I feel I should point out that Don, Glenn & Tim sang backup vocals on the song White Lady, White Powder (and yes, that's what the song is about) from the 21 at 33 album. I'm sure people remember the Eagles supported Elton at that huge Wembley show & he joined them on stage at the Forum in 1980, I think.

Sacrifice is one of my least favourite Elton John songs so I am in no hurry to hear this version. (NB: Because of the SONG).

I didn't know that. I do remember seeing a picture of Elton with Glenn and probably the other guys too. I'm a fan of Sacrifice either. There's a lot of Elton songs I don't like. This song will probably pop up on YouTube so I probably will hear it there.

New Kid In Town
03-22-2018, 04:36 PM
I find it strange that they're doing a tribute album to Elton John now...he's still alive. I really can't imagine Henley and Vince doing a cover of Elton, but what do I know...

This is off-topic, but Elton's best, in my opinion, is his work from the early 70s, his first few albums. Elton and Bernie Taupin are such a talented songwriting team.

Groupie - I bolded the last paragraph. I agree - I really loved Elton's early and mid 70's albums. I was a big EJ fan at the time and saw him in concert three times in the mid 70's. He always put on a great show.

groupie2686
03-23-2018, 09:59 AM
Groupie - I bolded the last paragraph. I agree - I really loved Elton's early and mid 70's albums. I was a big EJ fan at the time and saw him in concert three times in the mid 70's. He always put on a great show.

Hi New Kid! I love Elton's early stuff. I'm obsessed with Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters right now, and there are so many others. I saw him in concert when he toured with Billy Joel years ago (probably around 2000-2001).

Philh
04-06-2018, 10:00 AM
Heard Don and Vince’s version of Sacrifice today and think it’s really excellent.
They do a verse each and there is a great guitar solo.
Not sure who played on the track but I really recommend it.

shunlvswx
04-06-2018, 10:46 AM
I found the song on Youtube.
Philh. Its probably Vince playing the guitar solo. It sounds like how he plays.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pn_mZ-CT70I

scottside
04-06-2018, 11:52 AM
Robben Ford is the one doing the guitar solo, not Vince. I heard the song this morning also. It's not one of Elton's best, but I do like this version better than his although I don't think it's a great song to begin with.

MaryCalifornia
04-06-2018, 02:13 PM
This is cool! Good for Don and Vince. Yes, if it weren't for the Common Thread tribute album to the Eagles, we might have never had the guys 1994-2016. All of those wonderful country artists covering the Eagles songs seemed to get Glenn enthusiastic about the possibility of reforming...