PDA

View Full Version : Eagle sighting at Grammys

katherine5832
02-10-2008, 09:44 PM
I just wrote the same in the Joe Walsh board, but I thought I'd put it here too. I saw Joe sitting behind Yoko Ono and Ringo Starr at the Grammys a few minutes ago.

AgingHippieChick
02-10-2008, 10:23 PM
I've been watching the show off and on...when I took a look at the nominees, it seems the Eagles only got one nomination for country rock group...I sure would love to see them win!! :D Furthermore, Amy Winehouse seems to be nominated in all the big categories, and I think she has already won 2 awards. Forgive me if you're one of her fans, but that junkie is no where near as talented as the Eagles!!! :!: :!: Ditto for Kanye West, Fergie, and Beyonce!! :evil:

Ive always been a dreamer
02-10-2008, 10:41 PM
The Eagles did in fact win the Grammy for Best Country Performance By a Duo or Group With Vocals for How Long. The entire Long Road Out of Eden album is not eligible for consideration until next year because of the release date. Hopefully, it will receive lots of additional Grammys next year.

katherine5832
02-10-2008, 10:52 PM
The Eagles did in fact win the Grammy for Best Country Performance By a Duo or Group With Vocals for How Long. The entire Long Road Out of Eden album is not eligible for consideration until next year because of the release date. Hopefully, it will receive lots of additional Grammys next year.

How exciting! I'm so happy for them. Not that I didn't believe you, Dreamer, but I didn't realize that some of the non-televised awards had already been announced; I checked the Grammy site and your happy news was there! Thanks for letting us know, Dreamer! :yay:

Mrs Frey
02-11-2008, 03:39 AM
I saw this wonderful news in the Joe forum, but I'm just going to repeat my enthusiasm here:

OH MY WORD, THAT IS FANTASTIC!!!

CONGRATULATIONS, EAGLES!!!

:yay: :yay: :yay:

AHC, I agree with you regarding those other nominees not being in the same league as the Eagles. There are very few acts in the music world currently who are fit to polish the Eagles' shoes.

Dreamer, thanks for the info. It would seem that I actually have something to look forward to regarding future Grammy Award ceremonies. :D

EasyFeeling
02-11-2008, 04:51 AM
Congratulations to the Eagles. :D :D

I taped the show since it started at 2 am last night. I'll watch it today.
As far as I know they never air the acceptance of the country stars, right?

DonFan
02-11-2008, 01:32 PM
From undercover.com:

Eagles Win First Grammy In 29 Years--by Paul Cashmere

The Eagles have clocked up their 4th ever Grammy Award and their first since 1979.

This year, the band won the Best Country Performance By A Duo Or Group for the single 'How Long' from the album, 'Long Road Out Of Eden'. The album was released after the closing date for nominations and won't qualify for a nomination until next year.

The last time they won a Grammy was in 1979 for 'Heartache Tonight'.

In a statement to Undercover, Don Henley said, "This Grammy win is particularly sweet because of the length of time that has passed since we (the Eagles) won our first Grammy in early 1976. I was 28 years old then. I'm 60 now. I always secretly hoped that we could pull off something like this, but I had almost given up. This win feels really good — and it's in a whole different field than we were in before. Now I'm thinking that we might have a good chance to win again next year because the entire album (Long Road Out of Eden) will be eligible then. This year, only the single, "How Long," came out in time to make the nomination process. We're all very grateful to the Academy members and to our loyal fans. It's been quite a ride and it apparently isn't over just yet."

02-11-2008, 03:10 PM
Thanks for that, DF. However, there is that one little mistake by Mr. Cashmere. This is the band's fifth Grammy win. In all my rush to get this posted last night, I forgot the most important part.

Congratulations Eagles!!!!!

DonFan
02-11-2008, 03:42 PM
Five--even better!

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Freypower
02-11-2008, 05:37 PM
That is fantastic. I am so happy for them! :band: :applause: :headbang:

glenneaglesfan
02-11-2008, 07:12 PM
Wonderful news!! :rockon: Congratulations to the Eagles for a well deserved award, and here's to 2009!! 8)

:cheers: :yay:

tbs fanatic
02-12-2008, 12:03 PM
YAY! That is fantastic. :band:

Glennsallnighter
02-12-2008, 05:39 PM
:yay: :yay: :yay: CONGRATULATIONS EAGLES :yay: :yay: :yay: from me too!
Unfortunately due to a family function I had to miss all the coverage!

sodascouts
02-12-2008, 10:13 PM
Congrats to the guys! I'm so excited for them!

AgingHippieChick
02-13-2008, 03:14 AM
Thanks to everyone who posted follow-ups to fill me in. I did not realize that LROOE was not eligible because of its release date. I am so happy to hear this!!! :spin: No doubt there will be many more nominations next year for them!! YIPPEE!!!! I love the Eagles, and this new CD is just awesome. One of the best new CDs I've heard in many years. :wink: I also did not know that they DID actually win the grammy for 'How Long'...that is just great!!! Maybe this will inspire our boys to do another album in the future!! :grouphug:

DonFan
02-13-2008, 11:36 AM
More press from Don about their Grammy win, from the Dallas Morning News:
----------------------------------------------------

When the Eagles won their first Grammy for "Lyin' Eyes," drummer and singer Don Henley was 28 and had not yet recorded the group's iconic anthem, "Life in the Fast Lane," which became the catchphrase of a generation.

Things are a bit different now.

At 60, Don spends a lot of time at his Dallas home. And he was not anywhere near the fast lane on Sunday when he learned that the Eagles had won a Grammy for their single "How Long."

"I was at my son's basketball game," he says.

This will be the seventh Grammy on Don's shelf – he has five with the Eagles and two from his solo career.
--------------------------------------------------

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Brooke
02-13-2008, 11:50 AM
Way to go, Eagles! :yay:

And good job on being a Dad, Don! :applause:

DonFan
02-13-2008, 11:54 AM
Love your new av, Brooke! They are both lookin' fine. 8) 8)

Glennsallnighter
02-13-2008, 12:14 PM
Love the av too Brooke, and the sig!

Isn't it great to see that Don is not too busy being fabulous to be a great dad. And I know the others are the same as regards their families.

EasyFeeling
02-13-2008, 12:59 PM
I'm more critical here. It's good Don spend time with his son but I would have loved to see him or rather all the band members at the show. They were nominated for an award the first time after 29 years so that's reason enough for me. :wink:

Brooke, your new av is just cool. 8)

tbs fanatic
02-13-2008, 01:15 PM
You have a good point there EF.

Brooke - love the av :D

Brooke
02-13-2008, 02:23 PM
Thanks guys! I'm not very good at making them. I have to do it in paint and I spent quite a while fixing and messing it up! :roll:

You do have a good point EF. I wonder if Joe got to accept the award? Anybody know, since it wasn't broadcast?

EasyFeeling
02-13-2008, 02:47 PM
Yes, that would be interesting to know.

DonFan
02-13-2008, 06:26 PM
I'm more critical here. It's good Don spent time with his son but I would have loved to see him or rather all the band members at the show.

Well, if we are being critical, I am going to jump right in here.

1- Why didn't they award the Grammy for their category during the televised ceremony and let Joe accept it publically?

2-Aretha Franklin was this year's MusiCares winner and SHE got to perform at the Grammy ceremony--why didn't Don, last year's winner, get to perform at last year's ceremony?
It would've also been great if all the band members had been at last year's MusiCares Ceremony to support Don, too.

sodascouts
02-13-2008, 07:25 PM
1- Why didn't they award the Grammy for their category during the televised ceremony and let Joe accept it publically?

I don't think the band controls whether or not awards are presented during the televised broadcast. Indeed, I imagine that once they heard their award would not be televised, they probably thought "Why bother showing up?"

It would've also been great if all the band members had been at last year's MusiCares Ceremony to support Don, too.

Perhaps Don told them it was not a big deal if they didn't come. We don't know what transpired. It's a very cool event, but it's nowhere near as prestigious as a real Grammy lifetime achievement award like what was given to The Band and Burt Bacharach this year. I wonder when the Eagles will get theirs?

DonFan
02-13-2008, 07:42 PM
I know the band has no control over what awards are presented live--"they" in my post referred to the Grammy organizers. I wish they had decided to air the Eagles' winning category. I wish Grammy organizers had elected to let Don sing at last year's ceremony as well--the organizers are really the ones who disappointed me.

And I agree--the Eagles should definitely be awarded the Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award!

Glennsallnighter
02-13-2008, 07:45 PM
And sooner rather than later. They are flying as high as they ever did now. It would be very appropriate at this stage. Maybe 2009? :pray:

sodascouts
02-13-2008, 07:46 PM
I know the band has no control over what awards are presented live--"they" in my post referred to the Grammy organizers. I wish they had decided to air the Eagles' winning category. I wish Grammy organizers had elected to let Don sing at last year's ceremony as well--the organizers are really the ones who disappointed me.

Oops - Sorry I misunderstood! I agree. The organizers should have let Don perform. Instead they had other people perform Eagles covers... badly. Brilliant. :roll:

Perfect Little Sister
02-13-2008, 07:48 PM
I don't think the country category is of much interest to the Grammy organizers. Was any award in this category shown? I would tend to doubt it, although I didn't watch the whole thing. Once I saw Joe I turned it off. lol

Freypower
02-14-2008, 12:48 AM
In the light of the Grammy win, it is great to know that Paul Cashmere is still flying the flag! You go Paul!!!

http://undercover.com.au/News-Story.aspx?id=4116

And may I add a resounding HEAR HEAR!!!!

Mrs Frey
02-14-2008, 02:43 AM
I was disappointed that the Eagles' win was not even broadcast, but at least I saw Joe twice in the audience.

I'm happy that Don spent time at his son's basketball game. If that's more important to him than being at the Grammy Awards, then I have no qualms about it. Good for you, Don!

EasyFeeling
02-14-2008, 06:25 AM
It's too bad the Grammy organizers seem not to know how to upgrade the show. :roll: :wink:
I do really not understand why the country categories have never been broadcasted. I always thought it's very popular in the USA. :?

Maleah
02-14-2008, 10:37 AM
Country is very popular here...........but hip hop/rap has kind of dominated the airwaves and grammy awards (as well as the american music awards) since the arrival of eminem unfortunately. :?

Brooke
02-14-2008, 11:24 AM
Exactly Maleah! :(

Since the Grammys are SUPPOSED to cover all genres of music, you would think they would broadcast SOME of the awards presentations from ALL genres. And also, have performances from ALL genres. They lean very heavily to the rap/soul music.

It seems that most of the awards shows are more about the performances shown than the awards anymore.

And I agree, Don should have been selected to perform last year, too, but do we know if he was even asked? He may have turned it down. They (Eagles) are known for not doing awards shows.

02-14-2008, 11:55 AM
I agree with you here, Brooke. They may have asked Don to perform last year, but it didn't work out for whatever reason. The guys never made it a regular practice to attend awards shows back in the day (just the parties afterwards). Don and Glenn did both attend the MTV Awards show in 1985. Then, of course, they did perform at the CMAs this past November, so there is hope. Maybe if LROOE gets nominated for a lot of awards next year, they will pleasantly surprise us. :pray: :pray:

As I was writing this, I was thinking that Tim attended an awards show once to accept an award for the band, but I can't remember any details. Was it the American Music Awards? Anyone remember this?

DonFan
02-14-2008, 03:47 PM
I don't know if Don was asked to perform, but he was there--he presented the last award of the night, with Scarlett Johansson, to the Dixie Chicks. Seems to me if he was honored at the MusiCares award ceremony on Friday night and he stayed in L.A. to attend the Grammys on Sunday that he definitely could've performed if he had been asked to.

Brooke
02-14-2008, 05:30 PM
That's right. I had forgotten about that! I wonder?

Freypower
02-14-2008, 07:28 PM
Tim attended the American Music Awards and accepted an award.

I honestly don't think Don wanted to perform at the Grammys. What would he have sung? He didn't have a solo album out. MusiCares gave him the opportunity to perform. The Grammys are normally about current releases.

DonFan
02-15-2008, 07:27 PM
Nope, FP, that statement doesn't work with me. What do you mean, what would he have sung? Desperado comes immediately to mind, and we could've been spared Rascal Flatts & Carrie Underwood trying to sing Eagles songs. The Grammys always feature a few legendary performers along with the flavor-of-the-months. Heck, this year's 50th Anniversary show was loaded with them.

As the MusiCares honoree, Don should've been asked to perform. Aretha Franklin sang gospel--did she have a new album to promote?

sodascouts
02-15-2008, 07:50 PM
I agree with you, DF. There were plenty of classic acts and Don wouldn't have been out of place if he'd performed.

Freypower
02-15-2008, 07:52 PM
I take your point. It occurred to me later that Aretha probably wasn't singing anything new either. All I can think is that Don didn't want to perform.

Freypower
02-21-2008, 12:17 AM
Just out of interest, here is Undercover's story on Michael Jackson's Grammy demands:

http://undercover.com.au/News-Story.aspx?id=4159

And Sony wanted the re-release of Thriller to qualify for the normal Billboard chart. To its credit Billboard refused. Adding a couple of new tracks does not make a new album.

http://undercover.com.au/News-Story.aspx?id=4167

Quite frankly, though I own Thriller, I never knew what the fuss was about. It is not that good an album. I don't believe it will ever outsell the Eagles' Greatest Hits. Times have changed.

Brooke
02-21-2008, 12:21 PM
:roll: He is just plain wierd! The less I hear about him, the better. I'm glad Billboard refused.

EasyFeeling
02-21-2008, 12:34 PM
He's weird, but I still love his music and Thriller is a fantastic album, IMO.

tbs fanatic
02-21-2008, 03:51 PM
I agree EF. He has become totally weird but back in the day he was really great and Thriller at the time was amazing. It still really is one of the great albums IMHO.

02-21-2008, 05:04 PM
I am one of those who also thinks Thriller was a brilliant album, even though Michael Jackson is now beyond wierd, IMHO. I am glad to see that Billboard did not change their policy for the rerelease.

EasyFeeling
02-22-2008, 05:48 AM
Has anyone ever seen him at a concert? I saw him twice and it was awesome. That guy had a presence on stage, unbelievable. It's a real shame what happened to him.

02-22-2008, 02:32 PM
BTW - I just finished watching the uncut version of 60 Minutes that Soda downloaded and it reminded me to tell you that I put the tape with the Grammy broadcast and also the Celine Dion Special in the mail to you yesterday, Soda.