PDA

View Full Version : Photo Analysis

sodascouts
04-04-2018, 07:24 PM
Note: This was inspired by a discussion that took place in another thread.

I just assigned the visual analysis of the image - due Friday!

https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/29250245_1970160049680217_779572915898742915_n.jpg ?_nc_cat=0&oh=26e2d10d85dabd79d7ad98319229c923&oe=5B6C5FAA

I gave them these three questions, although we can discuss more in class.

1. Based solely on this photograph, describe what you think each of the men is conveying in terms of personality / attitude, and how you came to that conclusion.

2. Why do you think the photographer chose that type of couch in that type of room, lighting, etc... what is the vibe he/she was going for in presenting the band?

3. Assess the photo overall. Do you think this photo will be effective in getting people to buy concert tickets? Why or why not?

Dawn
04-04-2018, 08:53 PM
http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/happy-dance-.gif

Happy Dance! Great questions should be very interesting!

YoungEaglesFan
04-04-2018, 09:27 PM
I too am very interested to hear their responses. I don’t like the photo but we’ll see how they feel with little to no attachment to the band

New Kid In Town
04-04-2018, 09:42 PM
Very Cool project Soda ! Wish I had it in one of my college English classes. Do your students know who the rock group is ? I can't wait to hear what they say and hear it from a young person's perspective. Should be very interesting.

MaryCalifornia
04-04-2018, 09:42 PM
This is hilarious, I can't believe you gave it to your students, Soda. Thank you! Can't wait to see the results. Love it.

sodascouts
04-04-2018, 09:48 PM
Very Cool project Soda ! Wish I had it in one of my college English classes. Do your students know who the rock group is ? I can't wait to hear what they say and hear it from a young person's perspective. Should be very interesting.

I didn't mention any names. I just said "a band." I know at least a couple of my students are fans of the Eagles' music but none of them have to been to any shows, at least not that I'm aware of. They probably won't realize that the guy in the sunglasses standing is the same guy with the curly 'fro on the back of their parent's Hotel California CD.

I usually give my students an advertisement to analyze for this assignment, but I think this should be more interesting!

travlnman2
04-04-2018, 10:27 PM
I just assigned the visual analysis of the image - due Friday!

https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/29250245_1970160049680217_779572915898742915_n.jpg ?_nc_cat=0&oh=26e2d10d85dabd79d7ad98319229c923&oe=5B6C5FAA

I gave them these three questions, although we can discuss more in class.

1. Based solely on this photograph, describe what you think each of the men is conveying in terms of personality / attitude, and how you came to that conclusion.

2. Why do you think the photographer chose that type of couch in that type of room, lighting, etc... what is the vibe he/she was going for in presenting the band?

3. Assess the photo overall. Do you think this photo will be effective in getting people to buy concert tickets? Why or why not?

Hahahah :rofl: That is a great assignment.

I have a stupid issue paper where we have to chose a topic about current events FOR ENGLISH. :?

sodascouts
04-04-2018, 10:38 PM
Hahahah :rofl: That is a great assignment.

I have a stupid issue paper where we have to chose a topic about current events FOR ENGLISH. :?

Oh, they just turned in their research papers today. This is a nice little ice cream cone of an assignment for them while they recuperate. ;)

travlnman2
04-04-2018, 11:20 PM
Oh, they just turned in their research papers today. This is a nice little ice cream cone of an assignment for them while they recuperate. ;)
:lol:

peneumbra
04-05-2018, 12:47 AM
The guys in that pic look a bit… stiff. Maybe that's what the photographer wanted. Joe Walsh has always looked as if he's trying to swallow a mouthful of homemade minestrone soup, if you ask me.*

(Maybe you remember that, when the Desperado album was released, many people were critical of all the guns and shooting that the promo pics had. Frey pointed out that Western films had always been popular worldwide, guns or not, and that "the whole point of the thing [the Desperado album] wasn't to glorify violence or guns or any of that s--t. (We) were trying to show how being on the road as a band was like being a bunch of outlaws back in the Old West. Well, something like that, anyway."

*Which you didn't.:?

maryc2130
04-05-2018, 08:12 AM
I'm curious to know what your students will come up with, Soda.

To me, the way the individuals each look is fine, but the different members don't mesh together well in the photo, and that green couch is distracting. I don't hate the picture, but I wish they had kept last year's, which I thought was great.

chaim
04-05-2018, 08:37 AM
Looking forward to hearing about how the students see it!

longtimeeaglesfan
04-05-2018, 09:43 AM
It will be interesting to get their answers!

Brooke
04-05-2018, 03:01 PM
Love the assignment for your students, Soda! Can't wait for the results!

Freypower
04-05-2018, 07:02 PM
I won't be saying another word about that photo but I wonder if this should be a separate topic.

sodascouts
04-05-2018, 10:42 PM
Noted. I created a new thread.

Pippinwhite
04-06-2018, 11:14 PM
Let us know what the kiddos say!

sodascouts
04-09-2018, 10:53 AM
So I just got done with my 8:00 class. It's my office hour now and I have my next composition class coming up soon, but I can tell you after checking out the answers and going over it in class, HILARITY HAS ENSUED, guys. Oh my gosh. You will die.

chaim
04-09-2018, 11:12 AM
Sounds promising indeed. :mrgreen:

NightMistBlue
04-09-2018, 11:40 AM
I can't wait to hear what they say about Timothy, throwing down the "don't mess with me" vibe :)

travlnman2
04-09-2018, 11:50 AM
So I just got done with my 8:00 class. It's my office hour now and I have my next composition class coming up soon, but I can tell you after checking out the answers and going over it in class, HILARITY HAS ENSUED, guys. Oh my gosh. You will die.

Can't wait!!

:hilarious:

What level classes do you teach?

LuvTim
04-09-2018, 11:57 AM
I can't wait to hear what they say about Timothy, throwing down the "don't mess with me" vibe :)

Me, too. :-)

chaim
04-09-2018, 12:24 PM

Or Don's "I. Am. Not. Seventy." vibe. :mrgreen:

MaryCalifornia
04-09-2018, 12:37 PM
What level classes do you teach?

She’s a college professor.

This is awesome, can’t wait!

Ive always been a dreamer
04-09-2018, 01:25 PM
Or Don's "I. Am. Not. Seventy." vibe. :mrgreen:

:hilarious:

Yep - Should be entertaining! :wink:

Dawn
04-09-2018, 05:44 PM
I am curious if they can compare with other photos.

travlnman2
04-09-2018, 05:46 PM
She’s a college professor.

This is awesome, can’t wait!

I know but where I go we have different types of Classes like 110 22 . etc I can't wait:crazy:

NightMistBlue
04-09-2018, 05:48 PM
Shouldn't we be calling her Dr. Soda? :)

New Kid In Town
04-10-2018, 07:42 PM
I can't wait to hear the results !

Dawn
04-11-2018, 06:38 AM
Hi NKIT, me either!

sodascouts
04-11-2018, 05:24 PM
Sorry guys - I got so depressed by Lindsey's firing that I forgot all about posting the results! I will put them together by this weekend.

YoungEaglesFan
04-11-2018, 05:40 PM
Sorry guys - I got so depressed by Lindsey's firing that I forgot all about posting the results! I will put them together by this weekend.

Don’t worry Soda, I totally understand :cry:

Dawn
04-22-2018, 03:52 PM
Perfectly understandable very distressful news. No worries, just enjoy your weekend!

Glennsallnighter
05-01-2018, 08:28 AM
Looking forward to seeing the results Soda. Hope you are feeling a bit less depressed now.

sodascouts
05-11-2018, 12:39 PM
I'll get over it. Now that the semester's over I'll get back into the swing of things soon. I have all the student papers still and after my out-of-town visitor leaves in a few days, I will finally post those results!

Dawn
05-11-2018, 03:29 PM
I'll get over it. Now that the semester's over I'll get back into the swing of things soon. I have all the student papers still and after my out-of-town visitor leaves in a few days, I will finally post those results!

Cool, thanks Soda. Should be quite interesting!

New Kid In Town
05-11-2018, 03:38 PM

Thanks Soda ! I can't wait for the results.

CAinOH
05-18-2018, 11:55 AM
I know you're a busy person, soda... but any time you want to post the results, we're waiting! ;)

sodascouts
05-24-2018, 12:31 PM
Worth the wait? I hope so!

I have two classes. There is a lot to cover. I'll do my first class and the Joe/Deacon discussion for now, because it was a whole drama within itself!

First, I had them do individual analyses on their own for homework. Then, the next class, I had them get in groups and discuss their findings. I let them choose their own groups. They self-segregated, as is often the case, by gender. I had three groups of guys and two groups of girls. This is from the discussions.

Joe: Girls and guys a bit divided on Joe in some ways! Battle of the guys with guitars...

- Looks the most relaxed and chill about getting his photo taken but maybe is a bit annoyed with the photographer

- Looks like he's had lots of women and probably that's why he got into music

- One group thought he looked British or at least European (?!)

- Looks serious but like he can be snarky too, has an attitude

- Probably does drugs or did drugs at one point - they guessed cocaine

- Guessed he did not get along with the others, looked like he was holding himself apart from the rest a bit, leaning away from them

- Looks like he was not the leader of the group but went along with whoever was but maybe resented it

- Looks like he makes an effort to look cool; guys thought he looked cool; girls did not think he looked cool

- Guys thought he looked fun to hang out with; girls did not

- Guys thought Joe was lead guitarist because he was older and more experienced; girls thought Deacon was lead guitarist because he was in the middle of the picture and thus must be more important

Deacon: It really gets bad between the guys and girls...

- confused as to why he was there, guesses included he was the son or nephew of one of the "old guys"; girls thought he was brought in to appeal to a younger crowd because he was "hot" - which led into a tense but hilarious exchange...

- guy groups: he probably can't play guitar if brought in for looks or because he's related to somebody

- girl groups: he is probably the leader of the band. He is in the middle of the picture not only because he is the sexy one, but also because he is the most important. He is probably not only the lead guitarist but the lead singer, too. The others are just his backing band. He is the fan favorite. In fact, probably the only reason people even want to see the band is because of "the hot one"

- guy groups become enraged by this, lol! heated objections break out across the classroom: "can't believe you think he's talented because he's hot", "they put him in the middle because his dad or uncle or whoever is the boss of the band wants his kid up front"; "he probably doesn't even want to be in a band with these guys but he can't find any younger guys to play with him" one guy huffs "they probably unplug his guitar during shows"; I have to calm the class down. It was too funny.

Before I continued, one guy piped up, "I think he's related to the one in the beige jacket but he idolizes the blonde one and wants to be like him." Everybody starts agreeing, and they start inventing a whole narrative about why this young guy is in the band... I let it continue for a bit before I stop it, just out of curiosity. The narrative they collectively come up with, after a bit, is that Don pressured Deacon to be in the band although Deacon would rather be in his own band with young guys; they can tell from the look on his face that Don is stern and tries to control Deacon but Deacon rebels and looks to Joe as his hero, wants to be like Joe, and since Joe does drugs and womanizes, this causes tension between him and Don.

Obvious, isn't it, how much depends on personal feelings. These kids were obviously projecting their own frustrations about being controlled by their parents, and wanting to rebel against that, onto Deacon.

OK - that's all for now. More later!

shunlvswx
05-24-2018, 12:56 PM
I had to laugh at some of the comments. Yikes!! These are some smart college students.

The girls thought Deacon was hot. I agree on that. Poor Deacon. They think he's not talented.

They were right about Joe use to do drugs. I don't know about lots of women. Does 5 marriages count. LOL I like some of the analyzes on Joe. Some of them were spot on.

Did anyone of them know of the band before the picture?

travlnman2
05-24-2018, 12:58 PM
That was so funny Soda. :laugh:

East Texas Girl
05-24-2018, 12:59 PM
Wow, Soda, that's very interesting! Right on a few counts and then some not so much. Love how it is split by gender over Deacon, that is too funny. :D I cannot wait to hear the rest of it!

travlnman2
05-24-2018, 01:02 PM
Wow, Soda, that's very interesting! Right on a few counts and then some not so much. Love how it is split by gender over Deacon, that is too funny. :D I cannot wait to hear the rest of it!

It is like they became their own Stereotypes. This is exactly how debates went in some of my classes.

Professors have a lot of Patience

sodascouts
05-24-2018, 01:06 PM
I had to laugh at some of the comments. Yikes!! These are some smart college students.

The girls thought Deacon was hot. I agree on that. Poor Deacon. They think he's not talented.

They were right about Joe use to do drugs. I don't know about lots of women. Does 5 marriages count. LOL I like some of the analyzes on Joe. Some of them were spot on.

Did anyone of them know of the band before the picture?

None of them in this class did, although in my second class, one guy knew who they were. He claimed he didn't - guess he'd forgotten that he'd told me he knew who the Eagles were on the first day of class when I'd mentioned I was a fan! He was doing all these hyper-accurate detailed responses and I was just rolling my eyes! More on that later!

shunlvswx
05-24-2018, 01:24 PM
They were right about him being a son of one of the guys, but wrong one.

I have to laugh at this one.

Guys thought Joe was lead guitarist because he was older and more experienced; girls thought Deacon was lead guitarist because he was in the middle of the picture and thus must be more important

Well they were right about Joe being lead guitarist, but minus Deacon and Vince. He's the baby of the guys born in 1947.

I can't wait to hear what they thought of Don. Now that's going to be very interesting. Kinda afraid to hear their answers. LOL

MaryCalifornia
05-24-2018, 01:56 PM
This is the best thing I have ever read on this board! Can't wait to hear more. I was interested in the perception that Joe is holding himself away from the others and could be resentful. I wonder if there's any truth to that? Because I "know" him I would never have gotten that from the photo, but to an objective observer...interesting. And, "he went along with whoever was the leader" - I wonder if Timothy will generate the same perception LOL.

groupie2686
05-24-2018, 03:14 PM
Omg, soda, that's hilarious!

Delilah
05-24-2018, 03:36 PM
The comments about Deacon and Joe are hilarious. The students were quite perceptive about Joe...the women and drugs in his past, possibly resentful of having to go along with the leader at times. Given his career in the James Gang and as solo artist..which they apparently wouldn’t have known about yet somehow they picked up on it from the picture. I’m not surprised the gals thought Deacon was the “hot” one and that he stood out as the main attraction.

I’m looking forward to the rest of it and who they they think is the lead singer (besides Deacon).

Thank you, Soda!

WalshFan88
05-24-2018, 09:53 PM
Haha.

Well, I can say I agree with the guys for the most part.

NightMistBlue
05-25-2018, 02:05 PM
It makes me wonder though what specifically about Joe indicates that he’s been with a lot of women! Maybe his confident stance.

sodascouts
05-25-2018, 02:39 PM
Class 1's take on Vince Gill:

Vince

- probably the manager and not in the band, does not fit vibe of band at all
- looks clueless as to band's lifestyle
- trying to be cool but not successful, least cool of group
- probably tells a lot of jokes and wants to be the funny guy
- not as into music, maybe not as good at it
- older than the others
- he seems the friendliest
- he is just happy to be there, wants to be accepted
- others do not seem to accept him, he is apart from them
- he will do what they tell him to do
- reminds many students of their dad (I think this was why they thought he was so uncool lol!)

Narrative they came up with for Vince when I told them he was not their manager, but in the band:

An accountant, probably with a wife and kids, having a mid-life crisis and joining a band. Maybe he was once cool but became a family man and lost his coolness. Now, he is trying to get it back, but it's not working.

YoungEaglesFan
05-25-2018, 03:04 PM
Wow, a lot of this is spot on. I think his placement, facial expression, and having his hands his pockets played a lot into that. Love this

shunlvswx
05-25-2018, 03:07 PM
LOL Poor Vince. They are right about him being the friendliest, he does tell jokes, is happy to be there and wants to be accepted (I wonder if they mean by fans or his band mates)and he probably will do what they tell him since he's the newbie and doesn't want to get on the bad side of Don or Irving. Going through a midlife crisis. LOL

Yikes!!! Older than the other. :headscratch: He's the second to the youngest. I wonder how old they think he is.

Thanks again, Soda.

sodascouts
05-25-2018, 03:24 PM
Don (some carryover from Deacon / Joe bleeds through since they're positive he's Deacon's dad)

- Forceful personality
- Controlling, he's standing like a drill sergeant, probably leader (or leader's dad, say girls, but tries to control him too)
- Lords it over people, talks down to them
- The problem-solver, the decision-maker
- Stern
- Intense
- Trying to look tough / hard / mean, wants to intimidate people, wants people to be scared of him, but it's a front
- Guys: he insisted his son be in band, trying to promote his son's career, standing in back so his son gets more attention than everybody else
- Girls: Deacon is the leader with a supportive dad who is behind him because he's less important, positioning shows he's no more important than anyone else
- Guys: Lead Singer, he stands out without trying
- Girls: He backs Deacon, does not stand out behind Deacon; plus his pants are too tight (boys agree on the pants, they look "wrong" LOL)

Narrative they came up with:

Don's drill sergeant stance and controlling attitude might come from a past as a motorcycle cop or in the military before getting into music. He wants his son to follow in his footsteps. He is always bossing his son around. He wants everything perfect and expects his son to be perfect, making him feel second-best and inadequate; he's furious that he's trying to be like Joe instead of him, and mad at both Joe and Deacon. Joe ignores Don when Don tells him to stay away from Deacon and Don can't fire Joe because he's too good of a guitar player. Don thinks the way to get his son in line is "tough love" but it's not working because Deacon is also ignoring him. It's causing lots of tensions in the band.

Brooke
05-25-2018, 04:06 PM
Too funny! They were right on several things, yet pretty far off on others!

sodascouts
05-25-2018, 04:15 PM
Finally, our last analysis from Class 1, and the one that had me rolling....

Tim

- obviously the drummer; look at those arms!
- very "don't mess with me" vibe
- a super-angry person
- very aggressive, hostile
- mean
- has a beef with everyone there; hates everybody
- different from the others, isolated from them
- not really "there"; doesn't care; shows up because they pay him well to keep him in line

Narrative my class came up with:

Probably ex-convict who has done time for assault, probably used to be part of a biker gang. He's the kind of guy who chops wood for a hobby and keeps the ax handy. He thinks he knows more than everyone there and can't stand to be told what to do by Don; he really resents Don. He often goes into rages because he's easily pissed off. Only Vince can talk him down and keep him under control when he goes into one of these rages and that's the reason they keep Vince around. Sometimes they have to bail him out of jail. He's literally a "mean drummer." In spite of all of this, he is very important to the band and they won't get rid of him.

Brooke
05-25-2018, 04:17 PM
:rofl: Wow, they were certainly off on that one!

sodascouts
05-25-2018, 04:23 PM
I know! But I get it. Here's a reminder of the photo:

shunlvswx
05-25-2018, 04:40 PM
Oh my. Timothy is the drummer. They are definitely way off with Timothy. Yikes! An ex-convict. Lol Maybe Timothy has a mean side to him we don't know about.

Well. They were spot on with Don. I'm surprised they didn't say what instrument he playing, but he is behind or in the the back.

I'm trying to figure out what makes them think Deacon is Don's son.

New Kid In Town
05-25-2018, 04:42 PM
OMG - I Can't stop laughing ! They are so "off" on some things and so "on" on others. The Don, Tim and Vince things crack me up ! So close yet so far !
However, some of their comments about Joe, Don and Vince were so right on it was amazing. Have they found out who the band is ?

sodascouts
05-25-2018, 05:18 PM
Have they found out who the band is ?

I told them at the end of the period.

I pulled up a photo from the OOTN era on the computer and projected it on the smart board. I had to show them what their "former military man" really looked like in the seventies. They were like "NO WAY that's the same guy. NO WAY." LOL.

And when I told them how off they were on Timothy, they couldn't believe it!

East Texas Girl
05-25-2018, 05:22 PM
They were right on with several things on each guy but Timothy, wow! :shock:

Am I the only one who doesn't think Don's pants look too tight. :D

Soda, did you ever tell your classes who they are?

ETA: oops, I see you answered my question about the same time as I asked...

shunlvswx
05-25-2018, 05:37 PM
Did you tell them who Deacon's real dad was?

CAinOH
05-25-2018, 05:38 PM
I am so glad I'm reading this when no one else is in the office… because I am laughing so hard!

These are great. This is a creative writing class, right? Because the stories these kids are coming up with are hilarious!

sodascouts
05-25-2018, 06:40 PM
Did you tell them who Deacon's real dad was?

I did! When I pulled put up the old photo, they made the connection right away.

shunlvswx
05-25-2018, 06:42 PM
What was the connection? The hair?

WalshFan88
05-25-2018, 06:44 PM
LOL I agree mostly with Vince and Don's assessments (especially Don's) but with Timothy - way off.

sodascouts
05-25-2018, 06:44 PM
What was the connection? The hair?

Probably! I didn't ask. They were just like "Oh - that one is his dad right" lol.

shunlvswx
05-25-2018, 06:54 PM
Thank goodness Will is not part of that picture. It would been interesting what they would had said about him. They probably would had said Don is his father, but loves and gets along with Joe.

sodascouts
05-25-2018, 07:14 PM
These are great. This is a creative writing class, right? Because the stories these kids are coming up with are hilarious!

First year composition class! All 18 and 19, which might explain all the focus on father issues. lol

Shun, maybe it's because they perceive Don as the authority figure.

UndertheWire
05-25-2018, 07:25 PM
I'm curious - which OOTN photos did you pick?

sodascouts
05-25-2018, 07:49 PM
This one:

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/images/eaglesRS75-02.jpg

shunlvswx
05-26-2018, 12:41 PM
Soda. I don't know if you do this every year, but you should. Its funny to hear their opinion especially a different class every year.

sodascouts
05-26-2018, 01:02 PM
We usually analyze a magazine ad and talk about the way visual rhetoric is used to manipulate the consumer (or, to put it more generously, communicate the seller's message to the consumer).

We talked about that with this photo, too, because it's being used to promote the band commercially, particularly to sell concert tickets; however, I didn't put that part of the discussion here because it's the "academic" part of the discussion and not nearly as fun, lol.

travlnman2
05-26-2018, 02:09 PM
Oh my freaking god. Timothy :rofl:

Can’t belive they thought he was an agreessive ex convict. Haha

travlnman2
05-26-2018, 02:10 PM
They got Don pretty right lol

chaim
05-26-2018, 02:30 PM
They were probably thinking of people who already know who they are when they were posing. If they were trying only to reach new audiences Timothy probably wouldn't pose like an ex-convict. :lol:

UndertheWire
05-26-2018, 05:51 PM
This one:

Thanks. I wonder how they would analyze that one. For me, that's a "together against the world" pose. The one thing that hasn't changed over the years is the glaring at the camera.

ETA: for clarity, my comment about "together against he world" was about the OOTN photo.

Freypower
05-26-2018, 07:56 PM
When I made comments about Schmit's stance in that photo a while ago I was pilloried for it.

I think it's pretty sad that a rock band or what passes for it thinks 'together against the world' is an appropriate attitude to take. I suppose they have to be defensive & aggressive these days. They can't be relaxed any more in the situation they are in.

ETA: Noted, UTW, but sadly I think your comment does apply to the new photo.

WKMB55
05-26-2018, 10:07 PM
Freypower---I briefly thought about the reaction you received about Timothy's stance. I wondered if the difference might be that these are college students with little or no knowledge of the band and their music while you are very informed about the Eagles. I will always believe that all of their clothing, stances and facial expressions from the first publicity picture decades ago through the most recent were intentional. If you've ever seen one of Timorhy's solo shows then you know he has a great sense of humor and is somewhat self-deprecating. My opinion is that Timothy delights in putting forth that cross armed-serious faced persona. It is my feeling that they all are aware that their photos could possibly provoke unfavorable responses but probably don't care after the thousands of pictures of them that have been published. I did find the interpretations from Soda's students of the picture to be very interesting, entertaining and sometimes laughable.

Freypower
05-26-2018, 10:11 PM
Freypower---I briefly thought about the reaction you received about Timothy's stance. I wondered if the difference might be that these are college students with little or no knowledge of the band and their music while you are very informed about the Eagles. I will always believe that all of their clothing, stances and facial expressions from the first publicity picture decades ago through the most recent were intentional. If you've ever seen one of Timorhy's solo shows then you know he has a great sense of humor and is somewhat self-deprecating. My opinion is that Timothy delights in putting forth that cross armed-serious faced persona. It is my feeling that they all are aware that their photos could possibly provoke unfavorable responses but probably don't care after the thousands of pictures of them that have been published. I did find the interpretations from Soda's students of the picture to be very interesting, entertaining and sometimes laughable.

No, they don't have to care about my opinion or anyone else's. The fact that I took such exception to it is probably the reaction they wanted, who knows?

I agree that the responses of Soda's students were interesting, etc, but I feel that I shouldn't make any further comments about it. I just thought it was ironic how some of them echoed a few thoughts of mine, however unkowingly.

WKMB55
05-26-2018, 10:50 PM
Freypower, I feel bad that your past experience on this subject has made you hesitant to comment but I totally understand. I agree with the observations that you made in post #81 in this thread.

WalshFan88
05-26-2018, 10:59 PM
When I made comments about Schmit's stance in that photo a while ago I was pilloried for it.

I think it's pretty sad that a rock band or what passes for it thinks 'together against the world' is an appropriate attitude to take. I suppose they have to be defensive & aggressive these days. They can't be relaxed any more in the situation they are in.

ETA: Noted, UTW, but sadly I think your comment does apply to the new photo.

For the record, FP, I thought the response to your comment was over the top. I agreed. That pic is not a good one and everyone looks like they hate each other.

I think it's quite interesting what the students thought. I thought they were pretty far off with Tim, but spot on with everyone else. Especially Don. I for one would love to see this type of analysis from them again in future "Eagles" photos.

maryc2130
05-27-2018, 11:43 AM
Loved these observations by students with little or no prior exposure to the Eagles. Some of them were so on track, It's interesting that they picked up that Vince is somewhat of an outsider. He did make the statement that he's new to the group so he does what he's told to do, so that part was accurate, too. The thoughts on his musical ability were far from spot-on, though.

The comments on Joe were pretty funny and some were pretty accurate, too. It's funny they thought they saw a whole Deacon being torn between Joe and Don thing. Some of it was because they thought he was Don's son. I wonder if there's any truth to that? (Um, not being Don's son -- don't want to start any of THOSE rumors -- but that he feels torn in loyalties between Don and Joe. )

I thought it was very perceptive that they picked out Don as the leader/lead singer who has to have everything perfect, even though he and Timothy both have aggressive stances in the photo. I'm sure Timothy's stance is why his analysis was the least accurate.

Soda, did the students comment at all on the overall effectiveness of the photo as a publicity spot? Just curious as I know many of the Borderers commented on that. Thanks for posting the results of this fun exercise!

FreyFollower
05-27-2018, 01:01 PM
The kids' comments are too funny! How much can be read into just one picture!
My first reaction to the photo was that it wasn't very balanced or cohesive. It's not particularly flattering of anyone. They look like (to me) they have grown weary of the photo session and are thinking, "Just take the picture already!".
I thought the other photo was much better. I would be intererested to know what the publicity people thought they were projecting with the new pic.:shrug:

Ive always been a dreamer
05-27-2018, 07:15 PM
Reading the feedback from your students was a hoot, Soda. This exercise was probably more entertaining for us than it was for them.

I found the interpretations quite interesting. And FP, even though you were attacked for your opinions about the picture, I guess you can take solace that you weren't so harsh after all. :wink: :grin: At least, you didn't call Tim an aggressive, hostile ex-convict. :lol:

However, I never thought the vibe of this particular publicity photo was very much different from some in the past when Glenn was alive. It would really be interesting to have another set of students analyze one of those for comparison.

Delilah
05-27-2018, 07:44 PM
It makes me wonder though what specifically about Joe indicates that he’s been with a lot of women! Maybe his confident stance.

I think his leather clothes, sunglasses and dyed hair give off a “dress to impress” kind of vibe. Plus he has his guitar right next to him and looks like he’s been around the block “a time or two.”

LOL Poor Vince. They are right about him being the friendliest, he does tell jokes, is happy to be there and wants to be accepted (I wonder if they mean by fans or his band mates)and he probably will do what they tell him since he's the newbie and doesn't want to get on the bad side of Don or Irving. Going through a midlife crisis. LOL

Yikes!!! Older than the other. :headscratch: He's the second to the youngest. I wonder how old they think he is.

Thanks again, Soda.

I agree with you, Shun! I can’t believe they thought he was older than the rest. Maybe Vince should consult with Don and Joe’s cosmetologist/Botox technician, LOL. He’s not standing up straight like the others and his head is slightly cocked to one side. It does seem like he’s kind of set apart from the rest.

shunlvswx
05-27-2018, 07:56 PM
I think his leather clothes, sunglasses and dyed hair give off a “dress to impress” kind of vibe. Plus he has his guitar right next to him and looks like he’s been around the block “a time or two.”

I agree with you, Shun! I can’t believe they thought he was older than the rest. Maybe Vince should consult with Don and Joe’s cosmetologist/Botox technician, LOL. He’s not standing up straight like the others and his head is slightly cocked to one side. It does seem like he’s kind of set apart from the rest.

Vince really doesn't look old. I really don't want him to mess with Botox. I have no idea if he dyes his hair (he probably does), but his hair is turning gray.

His beard (which he doesn't have here) makes him a little old like Timothy and sometimes Don(when he has facial hair) makes them older especially when your facial hair is different from your hair color. Thank goodness Joe got rid of that mustache.

Half the time, not everybody is standing up straight. I notice that in a lot of their pictures over the years.

I'm trying to figure how they can tell from the picture that Joe is the oldest when he's the baby of Timothy and Don.

Delilah
05-27-2018, 08:15 PM
Oh my. Timothy is the drummer. They are definitely way off with Timothy. Yikes! An ex-convict. Lol Maybe Timothy has a mean side to him we don't know about.

Well. They were spot on with Don. I'm surprised they didn't say what instrument he playing, but he is behind or in the the back.

Yeah, how well do any of us know Timothy, really? :hmm: LOL, jk, the comments are so out there...I kind of expected some “mountain man” comments b/c of the beard but an ex-convict?

I hadn’t commented earlier about the photo, mainly b/c it didn’t seem that big of a deal. It was just a band picture. There were plenty of them in the 70s where, as was said earlier, they looked like they were “glaring.” I did notice Timothy’s stance and I can see how some people may think he looks triumphant or maybe defiant (but not angry—that is a head scratcher for me) but my take is that he was just trying something different, to exude more confidence. Nothing wrong with that. Although apparently the students construed it differently.

I’m impressed the students picked up on Don’s perfectionism and intensity. And that the guys thought he stood out as the leader.

shunlvswx
05-27-2018, 08:28 PM
I wonder if Joe didn't have the guitar, would they still think he was the guitarist or lead guitarist. The same with Deacon. They thought Timothy was the drummer because of his arms. I didn't know drummers had a certain type of arms. Take away their guitars, it might had been a whole different analysis.

I don't remember any pictures of the guys with their instruments in a group picture. I know they have in their individual pictures. I could be wrong with group pictures.

Delilah
05-27-2018, 09:04 PM
I don’t know about drummers, but I believe bass players tend to have long arms— Randy has them too.

I think having the guitars in the picture were a dead giveaway on who would be the “cool” or “sexy” ones in the band. I wonder now how intentional it was to have the guitars there.

I remember a picture of the guys posing for picture where Bernie is holding a banjo.

ETA: looking at the banner picture posted at the top of the page, an objective viewer would probably say the guys look angry and unhappy.

sodascouts
05-27-2018, 10:20 PM
Soda, did the students comment at all on the overall effectiveness of the photo as a publicity spot? Just curious as I know many of the Borderers commented on that. Thanks for posting the results of this fun exercise!

Yes, and unfortunately, they didn't think it was effective. Overall, the students thought the old couch, the somewhat dingy room, the casual clothes, the casual poses, etc., were all were meant to present a "garage band" type vibe, like these were all regular guys who got together to play. However, they said they didn't really buy it as a garage band. Some were trying a bit too hard to look "bad." They all didn't seem to fit together. It still didn't look natural to them.

However, a lot of the students added comments like "It's not like it really matters what the photo looks like anyway - if you like the music, you'll go to the concert" and "It would probably be effective if you like the band already."

Glennsallnighter
06-06-2018, 06:38 PM
My goodness Soda, that was such an interesting read. I will never look at a picture again without analysing it. Like other people have said the things that stood out for me was the view of Vince - more 'spot on' than one would ever realise. Also the idea that Deacon was there in some way as a result of his Dad. And the rather harsh treatment of Tim - though it was hilarious to think of too.

I think they DO look a bit uneasy in the pic- like they don't fit as well as they'd like to?

DJ
06-07-2018, 03:58 PM
I don’t know about drummers, but I believe bass players tend to have long arms— Randy has them too.

I think having the guitars in the picture were a dead giveaway on who would be the “cool” or “sexy” ones in the band. I wonder now how intentional it was to have the guitars there.

I remember a picture of the guys posing for picture where Bernie is holding a banjo.

ETA: looking at the banner picture posted at the top of the page, an objective viewer would probably say the guys look angry and unhappy.

It's been said Randy's arms were so long, his Mom made his shirts! ;-)