PDA

View Full Version : Don’s “American Rock'n'Roll” CD set for April 2019 release [Updated]

Delilah
06-05-2018, 11:40 AM
In this radio interview from May 31, Don announces his new cd “Charmed” is set for release at the end of September or beginning of October. He just finished the last song this past week. He also touches on other subjects (some he has discussed in the past) such as

writing the music for HC and recording the demo on tape, now digitized
coming up with a new intro for HC at Henley’s request during HFO taping
HC is the only song he knows of to receive a RIAA certification for getting a Grammy nomination twice (same song, same band, different version)
writing his book - he was shocked when he was asked to write it b/c he failed 9th grade English and then it went on to become a NYT bestseller
why it’s necessary to play a double-neck guitar when performing HC live
performing in Montreal on June 3 in support of the Israel Cancer Research Fund

http://www.iheartradio.ca/chom/audio-video/don-felder-on-how-hotel-california-came-to-be-why-it-s-important-for-him-to-play-the-icrf-gala-in-montreal-may-31-2018-1.3852063?mode=Article&autoplay=1.3852063

sodascouts
06-14-2018, 03:58 PM
This is the first I've heard of this CD, and when I googled it to find out more... this thread came up first! How awesome is that? lol!

So... can you post more about the CD here, Delilah?

Delilah
06-17-2018, 05:45 PM
I’ll try to post more info but I don’t think Don has said much about it.

(Cool about what google turned up!)

Delilah
06-19-2018, 07:32 PM
Bringing this over from the press thread for some context.

“I’m writing in a lot of different areas, and I’m including a lot of other artists that are gonna be working with me on it,” he reports. “At this point, I don’t want to name drop until I have everything finished and sweetened up.”

The Rock and Roll Hall of Famer, who turns 70 in September, also reveals that he’s considering issuing the new material in an interesting way.

“I may record 18, 20 songs, and I’m gonna put out an EP of probably five or six songs, and then…another EP out of that batch,” Felder explains, “then, eventually, [I’ll release] a combination of those two [as] one CD.”

“Ex- Eagle Don Felder Plotting Guest-Filled New Solo Album” 93.3 The Drive, Feb. 16, 2017 (http://www.933thedrive.com/ex-eagle-don-felder-plotting-guest-filled-new-solo-album/)

He said the new album, like his last one, would be full of guest appearances, revealing that, among others, Sammy Hagar had contributed vocals, and that guitar virtuoso Joe Satriani joined him on a track that recalls the famed outro riff of “Hotel California,” though he was quick to clarify that it’s “not quite exactly like that, ’cause Satch doesn’t play like Joe [Walsh], and I don’t try to repeat myself by playing the same things I did 40 years ago.”

“Don Felder bringing ‘Hotel California’ to Utah on Friday night” by Eric Walden, The Salt Lake Tribune, Nov. 9, 2017 (https://www.sltrib.com/pb/artsliving/music/2017/11/09/don-felder-still-chasing-those-magical-moments-he-had-with-the-eagles)

This is what Don says in the iHeart radio interview about the new CD:

“I’m just finishing this week the last song that’s gonna be on my new CD which will be out either at the end of September or early October and it’s called “Charmed.” It’s about all the stuff that goes along with the excitement and thrill of having that kind of creative spontaneous excitement. But then when all of that kind of gets to be about the music business and about the trappings of cars and planes and jets and houses and money...all of that stuff loses its “charm”; there’s not the excitement and thrill of the music.”

It was very early in the a.m. when he gave the phone interview in California with the DJ in Canada.

sodascouts
06-20-2018, 12:03 AM
Thank you so much, Delilah! We can keep adding more to this thread as more comes out, and anyone looking for information will be able to find it easily.

takeiteasy
10-13-2018, 01:50 PM
Anything new about Don Felder's CD? I'm looking forward to listening to it! :nod:

sodascouts
10-14-2018, 02:14 PM
When you do a search for it, this thread is still all that comes up.

Maybe this isn't happening after all?

Someone should tweet Don about it, or Facebook him.

ETA: I just tweeted him. We'll see if he responds.

sodascouts
10-15-2018, 08:52 PM
No response yet on Twitter, although admittedly it's only been a day. Does anybody want to try Facebook or shall I?

takeiteasy
10-16-2018, 02:03 PM
If I had Twitter or Facebook I would do it myself
All I can tell you is don't surrender! :samurai:

sodascouts
10-18-2018, 07:46 AM
Ok guys... after three days of silence on Twitter, I will take the plunge and ask him on Facebook.

ETA: Done.

sodascouts
10-25-2018, 01:45 AM
No reply, folks. Would someone else like to try?

takeiteasy
10-26-2018, 01:35 PM
I think this CD will be a Christmas gift for all of us. At least I hope so... :pray:

Delilah
10-26-2018, 01:55 PM
There has been radio silence on Don’s part regarding this cd. I’m not sure what the hold-up is except he seems busy with his tour. There was a fairly recent article that mentioned the new album, but it was probably just recycled information since there was no quote from Don himself. Maybe he is waiting for Christmas time to boost sales or until there’s less competition from other releases.

whitcap
12-11-2018, 10:24 PM
Don's new album is set to come out in April. He mentions it briefly in this recent interview:

https://youtu.be/7e70GF7o0oo

sodascouts
12-11-2018, 11:39 PM
Ah! Good to finally have an update!

takeiteasy
12-12-2018, 02:36 PM
April??¡¡...this man's sluggishness just kills me... :zzz:
And now which will be my Christmas gift? :brickwall:

sodascouts
12-14-2018, 12:37 AM
April??¡¡...this man's sluggishness just kills me... :zzz:
And now which will be my Christmas gift? :brickwall:

Let's just hope it really materializes in April!

Delilah
12-15-2018, 02:12 AM
Don's new album is set to come out in April. He mentions it briefly in this recent interview:

Thank you for this update. It sounds like maybe he’s releasing a full CD rather than just an EP. Hopefully that will make it worth the wait - at least the gap isn’t 20 years like last time.

CAinOH
01-24-2019, 06:24 PM
Rolling Stone posted an update on the album today:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/don-felder-new-album-slash-bob-weir-sammy-hagar-783638/?fbclid=IwAR2LRrEzjOdhDMAIJWx2K_K72t_P9sm0sKJQ4anE cczuG4gjQnXgkkitdgs

Former Eagles guitarist Don Felder had a simple goal when he crafted his upcoming solo album American Rock ‘n’ Roll, which is set for release April 5th via BMG. “I wanted to bring in as many people as possible to share the experience with me,” he says. “I knew it should be bright, cheery and fun or it wouldn’t be worth doing. It should be a labor of love, not a labor of work.”

There's also some stuff about his relationship with the Eagles at the end of the article.

sodascouts
01-25-2019, 11:20 AM
Rolling Stone posted an update on the album today:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/don-felder-new-album-slash-bob-weir-sammy-hagar-783638/?fbclid=IwAR2LRrEzjOdhDMAIJWx2K_K72t_P9sm0sKJQ4anE cczuG4gjQnXgkkitdgs

There's also some stuff about his relationship with the Eagles at the end of the article.

Thanks for the link. Just a few more weeks!

WalshFan88
01-26-2019, 02:39 AM
I'm excited for Don's new album. The title track sounds nice. It sounds like he had a lot of guest guitarists, hopefully a lot of guest singers too. I love Don's guitar playing but his voice wears on me. Road To Forever has not aged well in my opinion, and I hope this one ages better. Of course I'll be buying it on CD. I have no problem doing that, even if it becomes something I don't listen to very often. Don is a hero.

On another note:

I really, really wish Felder would stop talking about reaching out to the guys and frankly, talking about the whole firing deal. You burnt that bridge Don when you sued them and wrote a book dragging them through the mud. You can't now expect Don to forget it, and you couldn't have expected Glenn to forget it either. And frankly, after all the turmoil, drama, and division he caused the band, I think even if he didn't sue them or write the book, he wasn't going to be speaking to them again. I think Glenn wanted to distance the Eagles from Felder's drama. The Eagles did the right thing, as much as I once hated to admit it. It reminds me of Sammy Hagar. He wrote a tell all running Eddie Van Halen through the mud and now he wonders why Ed and Alex don't want anything to do with him now. It's either ignorance or arrogance, IMO.

FreyFollower
01-26-2019, 10:45 AM
I agree, WF. In saying that HE has "let go of bitterness and hate" and that the guys don't respond when he "reaches out", he is only continuing to spread the belief that they are the bad guys. I think that the guys have responded like in any relationship that ended badly; you shift focus, drop them from your thought process, concentrate on your life without them, and move on. It doesn't mean you hate someone just because they do not work well in your life, especially with a couple of failed attempts to do so. You are only wise to avoid such people. (Especially if they write a tell-all and sue you, lol) Don is an excellent talent and would have better spent these last 20 years expanding his horizons rather than clinging to his rear view mirror. I never understood why he never joined another great band or formed his own. I think that working with these artists is a great idea. I hope that this album does well, and that he continues ahead forging his own path.

Delilah
01-26-2019, 10:53 AM
I started this thread to discuss Don’s new music and I hope we can stay OT. There are plenty of other threads where these other issues have been hashed over and over.

Here is Don’s new single from the upcoming album, also titled “American Rock ‘N’ Roll”:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Qcn5Y2tLz6M&start_radio=1&list=RDQcn5Y2tLz 6M (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Qcn5Y2tLz6M&start_radio=1&list=RDQcn5Y2tLz6M)

In the song he brings up a whole gamut of rock artists from Jimi Hendrix to Green Day but no mention of the Eagles...

FreyFollower
01-26-2019, 11:23 AM
Sorry, Delilah. I would not have mentioned it here, except that this was a NEW interview about this album, and he brought it up yet again. I was referring to a topic that he discussed, and did not mean to offend. I am sorry to have gotten off track.

Delilah
01-26-2019, 12:50 PM
Sorry, Delilah. I would not have mentioned it here, except that this was a NEW interview about this album, and he brought it up yet again. I was referring to a topic that he discussed, and did not mean to offend. I am sorry to have gotten off track.

Yes, I realize the interview includes Don’s statements toward the end about reaching out to Henley (I’m not convinced Felder is the one who brought it up; more likely he was responding to a reporter’s question). What I have done in the past is post an interview or article in different threads with the relevant quotes. In fact, I’ll do that now so those who want to pursue this can do so in a more topical thread. I appreciate your response, FreyFollower.

takeiteasy
01-26-2019, 05:41 PM
I started this thread to discuss Don’s new music and I hope we can stay OT. There are plenty of other threads where these other issues have been hashed over and over.

Here is Don’s new single from the upcoming album, also titled “American Rock ‘N’ Roll”:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Qcn5Y2tLz6M&start_radio=1&list=RDQcn5Y2tLz 6M (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Qcn5Y2tLz6M&start_radio=1&list=RDQcn5Y2tLz6M)

In the song he brings up a whole gamut of rock artists from Jimi Hendrix to Green Day but no mention of the Eagles...

I totally agree with you Delilah. It seems that some people are only interested in Felder versus Frey topic and not in Don's new work. By the way, he's changed the title of the album and its concept completely.

whitcap
01-27-2019, 01:10 PM

I noticed that too. Perhaps he thought it would be too self-referential to mention a band he was in.

Looking at the video it looks like this album is getting a vinyl release, which I was hoping for.

The video also features the track listing (I've included information about a few of the songs from the Rolling Stone article):
1. American Rock N Roll
2. Charmed
3. Falling in Love (a ballad written on piano)
4. Hearts on Fire
5. Limelight
6. Little Latin Lover
7. Rock You (a duet with Sammy Hagar)
8. She Just Doesn't Get It
9. Sun (an acoustic song)
10. The Way Things Have To Be
11. You're My World

According to the article this album has a lot of variety which I'm looking forward to.

New Kid In Town
01-27-2019, 01:30 PM
Well, I should apologize too. I did not mean to get offtrack with the Felder/Frey-Henley debate again. I too was responding to Don's statement about reaching out to Don and Glenn.
Delilah, I agree that Don probably did not bring the topic up. However, I just wish he would state "no comment". I am sorry if I offended anyone - that was not my intention.

Don seems very happy and content with his life now - happy for him. I hope his cd does well and he continues with his music.

Ive always been a dreamer
01-28-2019, 03:26 PM
I like the song American Rock N Roll. Even though the vocals are the weak part for me, I think the song is clever and catchy. TBH, I am not a big fan of Airbourne or Road to Forever, so I hope this album gets some love. I wish Don well with it.

On the other hand, I don't see any need for anyone to apologize for commenting about Don's remarks. Unfortunately, whether he brings the topic up or not, as long as he chooses to address it, then he provides fans with ammunition to respond to his comments. I agree, a 'no comment' would seem to be his best response after almost 20 years of this. As long as he comments, the subject will never die. Moving the discussion to another thread to stay on topic here is a good idea, but, no apologies necessary by those who commented here - there was nothing inappropriate about it.

sodascouts
01-28-2019, 08:42 PM
I'll edit the title of the thread to reflect the updated info re: album title and release date.

Love the guitar on the title track!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qcn5Y2tLz6M&start_radio=1&list=RDQcn5Y2tLz 6M

01-28-2019, 09:20 PM
I was just looking at the track list for the album that whitcap posted and noticed that one of the tracks is named 'Hearts on Fire'. I wonder if this is Randy's 'Hearts on Fire' or if it's an original new song - anyone know?

NightMistBlue
01-29-2019, 05:28 PM
Yes, it is! And Don F. is going to sing lead. David Paich from Toto is also playing on it. Should be cool.

scottside
01-30-2019, 11:04 AM
Yes, it is! And Don F. is going to sing lead. David Paich from Toto is also playing on it. Should be cool.

I am so looking forward to this. I've always loved this song and it would be great if somehow Randy could do the harmony vocals on it.

NightMistBlue
01-30-2019, 11:17 AM
If only!! Shoot, he could play acoustic guitar or cowbell, it would still be cool. Maybe Randy could do a walk-on at one of Don's concerts and shake a tambourine.

That is really neat that Don is covering this song.

sodascouts
01-30-2019, 12:20 PM
What a nice surprise! He has so many guest stars already... Randy would be a great addition! But at the very least - in addition to it being a compliment to his talent - Randy will see some $$ from this, since he co-wrote the song.

01-30-2019, 12:37 PM
It is very cool that Don is doing the song - I hope he does it justice. Although no offense is intended, I would be willing to bet that I will prefer Randy's version.

NightMistBlue
01-30-2019, 02:06 PM
LOL, that's a given but still a lovely gesture which I'm sure Randy appreciates.

New Kid In Town
01-30-2019, 04:31 PM
I love the cover of Don's album - very cool. It is nice of him to do "Hearts On Fire". A very nice salute to Randy. I had read that Randy can't sing as his vocal cords were damaged in the chocking accident. Anyone know if this is true.

NightMistBlue
01-30-2019, 10:47 PM
I’ve heard that but I don’t know if it’s true. Perhaps it’s just speculation.

Delilah
04-02-2019, 02:44 PM
Here is a review of Don’s new album by Rock and Blues Muse. His daughter Leah sings on one of the tracks and, as already mentioned, there are some top-notch artists and engineers lending their skills to the album.

https://www.rockandbluesmuse.com/2019/04/01/review-don-felder-american-rock-n-roll/

New Kid In Town
04-02-2019, 05:44 PM
Thank You Delilah. A nice review for Don's album. He sure had some heavy hitters work with him this time around. Like I said before, I love the album cover- very cool.

FreyFollower
04-03-2019, 02:13 PM
Glad he is getting great reviews! I think he picked the right song for the title cut. Considering the bulk of what's out there now, I know myself and a lot of folks are ready for some good ol' "American Rock"n Roll"!

Brooke
04-03-2019, 03:02 PM
Love the album cover!

NightMistBlue
04-04-2019, 12:24 PM
“Hearts On Fire” is a gleefully funky rock song with a huge hook that’ll instantly become stuck in your ear."

That's a nice review! I don't think the reviewer realizes it's a Randy song tho.

whitcap
04-04-2019, 07:15 PM
My copy came a little while ago. Musically there's more diversity than his previous albums, which is nice. The standout tracks for me are probably Hearts on Fire(which is an original song not a cover), Limelight and Sun. The Way Things Have To Be, You're My World and Falling In Love are decent ballads. American Rock N Roll, Charmed and Rock You are good rockers. She Just Doesn't Get It and Little Latin Lover didn't leave much of an impression on me. None of the songs are bad though. It's a pretty solid album.

WalshFan88
04-04-2019, 09:31 PM
I'm definitely excited to give it a listen. I preordered the CD on Amazon, but I'm traveling until mid week next week so I won't be able to listen to the CD until then. My plan is to stream it on Spotify soon.

I definitely want to hear less "You Don't Have Me" and "Wash Away" from Felder and more "Girls In Black" and "Road To Forever". I felt the Road To Forever album was largely forgettable, and I also feel that way about Walsh's Analog Man. I just think they haven't aged well and none of it is in my current rotation. I listen to Heavy Metal and Bad Girls more often than I do anything from Road To Forever. And I love pretty much all Walsh albums up to But Seriously Folks. I wish JW would do a new album, with less of the ELO-styled cheese on it and no Jeff Lynne, lol. I have high hopes for American Rock N' Roll. I really love the title.

NightMistBlue
04-05-2019, 09:41 AM
My copy came a little while ago. Musically there's more diversity than his previous albums, which is nice. The standout tracks for me are probably Hearts on Fire(which is an original song not a cover)

Oh nooo! That's a bit of a bummer. I like the title track though.

Delilah
04-05-2019, 04:56 PM
My copy came a little while ago. Musically there's more diversity than his previous albums, which is nice. The standout tracks for me are probably Hearts on Fire(which is an original song not a cover), Limelight and Sun. The Way Things Have To Be, You're My World and Falling In Love are decent ballads. American Rock N Roll, Charmed and Rock You are good rockers. She Just Doesn't Get It and Little Latin Lover didn't leave much of an impression on me. None of the songs are bad though. It's a pretty solid album.

Thanks for the review, whitcap. I actually like Little Latin Lover. To think that could have been on LROOE. Rock You so far is my favorite (with Sammy Hagar vocals, I believe) but I’ve only heard about half the songs. I guess I’m the only one who doesn’t care for the title track. It’s kind of hokey, imo.

WalshFan88
04-05-2019, 06:25 PM
So I gave it a listen today on Spotify. I really like the lyrics and the guitar work is just amazing. I really love his guitar tone on the rockers. But I can't get over that voice. It's just not my thing. Still, I love listening to hear Felder play that Les Paul and crank it up and I'm happy to support him solo and hopefully I'll see him in concert again someday.

My favorite on this disc is "Rock You".