View Full Version : Yikes!

Brooke
02-14-2008, 05:45 PM
This is a bit scary! :shock:
U.S. to launch missile at broken satellite

Space News
MSNBC
updated 39 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - President Bush has ordered the Pentagon to use a Navy missile to attempt to destroy a broken U.S. spy satellite — and thereby minimize the risk to humans from its toxic fuel — by intercepting it just before it re-enters the atmosphere, officials said Thursday.

The effort — the first of its kind — will be undertaken because of the potential that people in the area where the satellite would otherwise crash could be harmed, the officials said.

The rest of the story:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23166344

glenneaglesfan
02-15-2008, 12:07 PM
That is scary, Brooke. They don't even sound too confident that it will work. Do you remember when the old Skylab started to come down to earth. You could see it as a bright object at dusk for several days. I think some chunks hit the ground, but nobody was injured.

Ive always been a dreamer
02-15-2008, 12:13 PM
Oh good grief - to coin a familiar phrase "I Don't Want to Hear Any More". :)

tbs fanatic
02-15-2008, 12:53 PM
Good lord :shock: They don't sound confident AT ALL - what the heck :?

Brooke
02-15-2008, 02:08 PM
Reminds me of that movie a few years ago about the huge asteriod hurtling towards earth! :shock:

tbs fanatic
02-15-2008, 05:39 PM
:lol: Maybe we should all 'duck and cover'. It's insane.

Glennsallnighter
02-16-2008, 04:56 AM
That is scary, Brooke. They don't even sound too confident that it will work. Do you remember when the old Skylab started to come down to earth. You could see it as a bright object at dusk for several days. I think some chunks hit the ground, but nobody was injured.

I remember that Skylab incident. I was only a kid and had night mares for weeks worrying that it would land in our front garden :doh:. I was never so relieved when it finally hit the ground Seriously, though! It actually claimed one victim. A guy in America woke up screaming 'Skylab, Skylab' according to his wife.....and died of a heart attack.

I hope this works!

Glennsallnighter
02-16-2008, 04:57 AM
Reminds me of that movie a few years ago about the huge asteriod hurtling towards earth! :shock:

Deep Impact?

glenneaglesfan
02-17-2008, 01:41 PM
GA, I didn't know that story. Poor guy to be so worried, and you, come to think of it.

Glennsallnighter
02-18-2008, 06:53 AM
I just remember my dad reading it out of a paper one evening. I was a bit of a funny kid! The more scared I was of something, the less likely I was to talk about it! :roll: My kids are the opposite thank God!

tbs fanatic
02-22-2008, 03:38 PM
Well, did they shoot the stupid thing down? I haven't heard anything.

sodascouts
02-22-2008, 03:47 PM
I saw on the news a couple days ago that they think they've successfully taken care of it.

Brooke
02-22-2008, 04:02 PM
Yup. Looks like we avoided a tragedy. It only cost $30-40 million for that little 3 minute job! :roll:

glenneaglesfan
02-22-2008, 05:03 PM
Good grief! But, if it saved lives it was worth it. If I'm being cynical, I'd say it was just a practice for future Star Wars.

tbs fanatic
02-22-2008, 09:08 PM
Phew! :rofl: I can sleep peacefully tonight then. I'm sure I should be taking this more seriously but it all sounded so looney.