PDA

View Full Version : Report Board Issues and Bugs

sodascouts
09-25-2018, 06:22 PM
I've found a bug I'm getting dealt with:

In Firefox, unless I click "Remember Me," my log-in doesn't stick. For IE, I have to log in twice (the first time I get an "Invalid URL" message). I've complained about both these bugs and hopefully they'll get resolved.

Pippinwhite
09-26-2018, 09:00 AM
Glad we're up and running again! :D

New Kid In Town
09-26-2018, 10:29 AM
Yeah - We are back ! Missed everyone. Thank You Nancy for all your hard work to get the board up running again.:yay::)

I tried to access the form via Goggle but could not get in. I had to use Firefox. Maybe because I first joined via Firefox ?

CAinOH
09-26-2018, 10:55 AM
Yeah - We are back ! Missed everyone. Thank You Nancy for all your hard work to get the board up running again.:yay::)

I tried to access the form via Goggle but could not get in. I had to use Firefox. Maybe because I first joined via Firefox ?

I'm not having any problems on Google Chrome. At least not so far... knock wood.

Edited to add: That's Google Chrome on my laptop, not my phone.

groupie2686
09-26-2018, 01:09 PM
I get the invalid URL message when I log in on my phone and can't log in, using the Chrome app. I'm also having trouble scrolling when on IE (on a computer), it keeps jumping to the top.

Brooke
09-26-2018, 02:11 PM
I'm on Chrome on a pc and it works fine.

New Kid In Town
09-26-2018, 04:14 PM
I was having problems getting in this afternoon via Firefox (it kept bringing up EOC Biogs.) . Still not able to get in via Goggle Chrome. I guess that is part of the bugs to work out. Thank You again Soda and Dreamer and everyone else who worked to bring the message board back.

Well, I just tried getting in via Goggle and it worked.

shunlvswx
09-26-2018, 04:53 PM
That's kinda strange because I use Chrome at home and at work and it comes up for me.

My My
09-26-2018, 04:57 PM
Yay! Happy to be back, I've missed everyone!

sodascouts
09-26-2018, 09:10 PM
So right now, it appears the Google Chrome problems have sorted themselves out?

WalshFan88
09-26-2018, 09:45 PM
I'm on Chrome and Firefox and have no problems getting in. Safari (which is Mac only browser) works fine and Microsoft Edge and IE (PC only browser) works fine also.

Ive always been a dreamer
09-30-2018, 12:57 PM
Okay - I've noticed a 'bug' or, at least, I think it is.

When I try to post a photo with the 'Insert Image' icon using the URL from one of the EOC sites, it is inserted as a thumbnail attachment to the post. This may be the way it designed to work now, but it's not the way it used to work. In the past, if I went to any EOC site Photo Gallery and clicked on the thumbnail to enlarge the photo, and then copied and pasted the URL using the 'Insert Image' icon, it would insert the enlarged photo directly into the post.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is it a setting that needs to be changed or is this the way it is supposed to work?

If this is the way it works now, then how do we post the enlarged images? The only workaround I know of is to paste the URL directly into the post and then manually type the image tags before and after the URL with no spaces. Example: pasted URL

sodascouts
09-30-2018, 05:54 PM
Does it do that with all photos, or just large ones?

sodascouts
09-30-2018, 09:01 PM
I think I found the problem. There was a confusing option to add an image from a URL and "store locally" which came checked by default - and that was turning your image into an attachment. That's why it was getting converted into a thumbnail. I've disabled that menu choice entirely. It should be easy to use now!

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/images/eagles72smile.jpg

09-30-2018, 10:36 PM
Yep Soda - Looks like that fixed it. Thanks!

chaim
03-20-2019, 08:22 AM
Incidentally, why are my posts deleted immidiately when I try to edit them?

03-20-2019, 08:31 PM
chaim - The only thing I can think of that would cause your post to be deleted is if the "Delete this post in the following manner' box was checked when you were editing your post. I'll test that and see what happens.

ETA: Well, I tested it and apparently that's not the problem because my post didn't delete with the box checked so I'm not sure what the problem is.

sodascouts
03-22-2019, 04:34 PM
Incidentally, why are my posts deleted immidiately when I try to edit them?

I don't know chaim - I've been wondering why I've seen so many posts deleted by you, and that explains it. When did this start happening?

chaim
03-23-2019, 04:27 PM
I don't know chaim - I've been wondering why I've seen so many posts deleted by you, and that explains it. When did this start happening?

I think it started happening immediately when this forum was up again.

chaim
03-23-2019, 04:37 PM
When I click on the text I wish to edit, the post is deleted.

WalshFan88
03-23-2019, 06:11 PM
When I click on the text I wish to edit, the post is deleted.

Chaim, I bet it is a cache problem with your browser. When the forum came back online, certain things might have gotten switched over (numbers, name resolution, etc) and your browser didn't make the switch and there might be a corrupt cache file in there.

Please share which operating system (Windows, Mac OS) and browser (Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Opera, Edge, Internet Explorer, etc) you are posting on and I can give you instructions on resetting your browser and clearing the temporary files (cache, cookies, history, etc). It's easiest on Chrome but I can help you with any of them if I know what you are running. And speaking of browsers, you might try a different one. I recommend Chrome or Firefox over Edge/IE. They support more of the newer web technologies and generally have less compatibility issues. Chrome is my favorite but Firefox is good as well. Both are better than the ones that come built in with a Windows computer. Pick one you aren't currently using.

It could also be a DNS server issue. If you are on Windows there is a fairly simple way to clear the DNS cache using the command prompt with a couple commands.

I really don't think it's a server-side issue - but you never know. Usually if it's happening, it's going to happen to everyone and not just single accounts. But Soda knows better about that. I'm not a web developer, I'm just a network geek. :D

chaim
03-24-2019, 04:58 AM
I use my little Samsung with an android system and my browser is indeed Chrome. Perhaps I'll try to edit a post with my wife's Mac and see what happens.

03-24-2019, 10:46 AM
That sounds like a good idea, chaim. Let us know the outcome.

WalshFan88
03-24-2019, 02:12 PM
I use my little Samsung with an android system and my browser is indeed Chrome. Perhaps I'll try to edit a post with my wife's Mac and see what happens.

If it works on the Mac, there is a way to reset Chrome on the Samsung/Android.

If it doesn't work on the Mac, that's a good indication that it's a server issue.

chaim
03-25-2019, 04:09 AM
Creating this post on a Mac to see if I can edit it....

EDIT:

It worked.

WalshFan88
03-25-2019, 04:44 PM
I figured as much.

Here's a good article on how to reset Chrome on an Android device.

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/2392709?co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid&hl=en

When you select a time range - be sure to select "all time" otherwise it won't work.

If it still doesn't work Chrome may need to be uninstalled and then reinstalled from the Google Play Store.

chaim
03-26-2019, 03:35 AM
Thanks!

09-10-2020, 08:47 PM
Just want to let everyone know that we are aware of the posting issues on the board. Working on it, but still haven't gotten to the bottom of it yet. Will update this when we have more information.

09-10-2020, 09:12 PM
Hopefully, the board is working better for everyone now. It seems to have been caused by a memory issue in one of the files that had to be corrected.

LuvTim
09-10-2020, 10:17 PM
Thanks, ladies, for doing the work! You are much appreciated! :-)

KingWalsh
09-11-2020, 03:52 AM
Thanks, ladies, for doing the work! You are much appreciated! :-)
Absolutely! I was bummin without the border! Thank you!:applause:

CAinOH
09-11-2020, 08:02 AM
Hopefully, the board is working better for everyone now. It seems to have been caused by a memory issue in one of the files that had to be corrected.

Yay, team! Gotta have my Border. :D

Brooke
09-11-2020, 04:05 PM
Thanks for fixing!! :applause:

Elle81
09-11-2020, 05:51 PM
I hope that wasn't because of my repeated posts, If it was then I am terribly sorry. But I'm so glad you got it all worked out. :grin:

09-12-2020, 02:34 PM
Thanks everyone for your kind posts. We aren't sure about the reason for the problem. But, now that we have a heads up, we will keep an eye out. If it happens again, we should be able to isolate the cause. Wanna keep The Border going as long as Eagles fans are visiting.

AlreadyGone95
04-17-2021, 01:19 AM
I'm unable to post replies. I can browse the threads, but I've tried to reply and I get a 503 error message.

Elle81
04-22-2021, 02:40 PM
For some reason I haven't been able to see any new posts in the What's happening in your life thread in the Cheap talk and wine discussion area. AG posted an update around 4-16 or 17 I think, and it got posted three times. The same post, down to the letter. Maybe it's my computer, but it shows me on the main board that there is new content. But when I go to it, all it shows me is the three posts by AG.

04-22-2021, 06:46 PM
We have been having issues with the board the last several days, but, hopefully, everything is resolved now. Elle, I deleted the duplicate posts from the 'What's Happening' thread. You should be able to post in the thread. If not, you can try to clear the cookies on your PC. After that. the only thing I can suggest is to log out of the board, and then log back in and see if that works.

Elle81
04-23-2021, 04:39 PM
We have been having issues with the board the last several days, but, hopefully, everything is resolved now. Elle, I deleted the duplicate posts from the 'What's Happening' thread. You should be able to post in the thread. If not, you can try to clear the cookies on your PC. After that. the only thing I can suggest is to log out of the board, and then log back in and see if that works.
Ok. Thank you Dreamer!

10-12-2021, 10:44 AM
As you may have noticed, we experienced some posting issues again over the last several days. Hopefully, the issue has been resolved now and I went back and deleted all of the duplicate posts that I saw. Let me know if I missed any and I'll be glad to correct it. Thanks for your patience.

Elle81
12-13-2021, 01:29 PM
The board seems to be glitching again, or at least for me it is. It says there is an unread post in the "Joe in the press" topic in the Joe Walsh discussion tab and that's been like that for a few days. It keeps saying Shun posted something new, but when I go to the posts, it's not there. and now just this morning it's saying Groupie posted something in the "alphabetical song game" in the Cheap talk and wine tab, but nothing new shows up there either.

sodascouts
12-21-2021, 07:07 PM
I'm trying to figure out this board issue but right now, no luck. I'm still at it, though!

ETA: Interestingly, it allowed me to view the post once I had replied.

12-21-2021, 09:47 PM
Soda - After I read your post, I went ahead and posted in the Joe Walsh thread that was locked. It seemed to fix the problem there as well - very strange!!! Hopefully, other members can see the posts now. If anyone cannot read them now, please let us know.

Elle81
12-22-2021, 12:12 AM
It seems to have worked on my end. Thank you, Dreamer and Soda for fixing it. I don't know how y'all admins do it. Running a board like this must be crazy stressful.

12-22-2021, 01:20 PM
Thanks for your kind words, Elle. As we always say, The Border is a labor of love and I am happy to contribute.

11-05-2023, 07:21 PM
Hello fellow Borderers - If you are having issues getting on the board we just want to let you know that Soda is working on it. You should be able to access the forum now using the MS Edge and Firefox browsers, but there are still some issues with Chrome and Safari. Google recently did updates which created some coding issues. We don't currently have an ETA, but I'll keep everyone posted with any updates. Sorry for the late notice, but I am just now able to access the board myself.

WalshFan88
11-05-2023, 10:15 PM
Hello fellow Borderers - If you are having issues getting on the board we just want to let you know that Soda is working on it. You should be able to access the forum now using the MS Edge and Firefox browsers, but there are still some issues with Chrome and Safari. Google recently did updates which created some coding issues. We don't currently have an ETA, but I'll keep everyone posted with any updates. Sorry for the late notice, but I am just now able to access the board myself.

I’m able to get on with everything but Chrome (Edge, Firefox, and Safari) but I can’t with Chrome.

Thanks for letting us know Dreamer - I noticed it wasn’t just one device and thought maybe something like this had happened. Unfortunately Chrome is the most popular browser. :(

sodascouts
11-06-2023, 09:18 PM
I'm waiting to hear back from vbulletin. I agree that we can't just shrug off the Google Chrome interface issue. It's a massive problem.

WalshFan88
11-06-2023, 09:29 PM
I'm waiting to hear back from vbulletin. I agree that we can't just shrug off the Google Chrome interface issue. It's a massive problem.

What I don't understand is that Edge runs on Chromium now, the rendering engine that Chrome itself uses and Google created. I suspect its a change only to Chrome itself and not the rendering engine it uses.

WalshFan88
12-10-2023, 09:50 PM
Just a heads up, Edge is doing the same thing as Chrome now.

Now the only one that doesn't is Firefox and Safari at least on my end.

12-15-2023, 12:02 PM
Yeah - This is definitely a work in progress. Chrome now works for me, but the problem has moved over to Edge. Try closing the browser and/or rebooting your device if you haven't already done so.

WalshFan88
12-19-2023, 11:27 PM
Today Firefox came out with a new version (121) and so I was curious if I could still get on the Border and now I can't access the site on Firefox either.

I am only able to get on with my MacBook with Safari now. Chrome, Edge, Brave, and Firefox all have this issue.

It has to be a recent change that all browsers are slowly adopting except Apple's Safari.

12-23-2023, 12:37 PM
That adds an additional problem, Austin. Next time I talk to Soda, I'll let her know about the Mac issue to see if there are additional measures she needs to address,

sodascouts
01-18-2024, 11:42 AM
Well, it was more complicated than I thought and it's going to cost a couple hundred dollars a year, but it looks like it's fixed!

Let me know if there's any more problems.

MarthaJo56
01-18-2024, 03:58 PM
Mine is fixed. I have Chrome.
So glad to be back!!!

WalshFan88
01-18-2024, 07:57 PM
I can confirm it's working on other browsers here. It got to where only Safari was working on my MacBook. Now I can access with Chrome, Edge, Brave, and Firefox.