PDA

View Full Version : Don Henley Song Survivor: Actual Miles

sodascouts
02-15-2008, 08:58 PM
Time for Don Henley Actual Miles Survivor, where we vote off Don’s Greatest Hits until we get to the last one standing!

If you're new, for a basic overview of the game, see this post: Survivor Overview (https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6551&postcount=7)

I'm going to list the songs from Actual Miles here. Vote for the song that you feel should be eliminated from the list. The song that gets the most votes will be taken off of the list (or, in the language of Survivor, "Voted off of the island.") Each round, one more song will get axed, until there's only one left. Remember: you're voting for your LEAST favorite, not your favorite.

Each round will last 48 hours after posting to give people a chance to vote who don't post every day. That means that the first round will end at 8:00 Eastern time the day after tomorrow. If you miss a round, don't think you can't play. It's all good!

Since there may be discussion posts, be sure to make it clear when you are casting your vote. Votes cannot be cast after the cut off time of 8:00 on the second day, and they cannot be changed once you have voted.

If you get confused about what round we are in, look at this post. I'll always update it to reflect the current round. Also feel free to post any questions if you don't understand what's going on.

If there is a tiebreaker, then ALL votes from ALL previous rounds are tallied and whoever has the most prior votes is eliminated. That’s the way it’s done on the real show, that’s the way it’s done here. If there is a complete tie with prior votes (Murphy’s Law), then I'll have a sudden-death trivia question ready. The first person who answers it correctly gets to break the tie. The odds of that happening are slim, but you never know, and it's good to be prepared.

The tie-breaker question will be asked one hour after results are in, if there is need for it. The exception is the last round. If the tie-breaker does not resolve the last round, then the tie will be allowed to stand.

For this Survivor, we also have immunity questions. We won't have immunity questions on the first or second-to-last-rounds, and of course we won't have them for the last round, lol. However, for the other rounds, we will.

Here's how immunity questions work. After the beginning of the round, I ask a Henley-related question. The first person who answers the question correctly gets to pick a remaining song to be immune - no one can vote for it on the next round. I'll allow two hours for someone to answer. If no one gets it right by then, then we continue the round as normal without any song being immune. You only get one guess per round, so be careful!

The winner of the Actual Miles Survivor is...

THE HEART OF THE MATTER!

Congratulations THE HEART OF THE MATTER.

Songs Eliminated:
The Garden of Allah - 2/17
Sunset Grill - 2/19
All She Wants to Do Is Dance 2/21
Not Enough Love in the World 2/23
Everybody Knows 2/25
You Don't Know Me at All 2/27
I Will Not Go Quietly 2/29
New York Minute 3/2
The Last Worthless Evening 3/4
The End of the Innocence 3/6
Dirty Laundry 3/8
The Boys of Summer 3/10

The game is over.

Thanks for playing.

sodascouts
02-15-2008, 09:00 PM
The first one is a no-brainer for me.

I cast my vote for The Garden of Allah.

Any song where Don quasl-raps is a song I steer clear of.

katherine5832
02-15-2008, 11:59 PM
The first one is a no-brainer for me.

I cast my vote for The Garden of Allah.

Any song where Don quasl-raps is a song I steer clear of.

LOL! I'm probably the only person on this board who actually likes The Garden of Allah- I just find it to be an interesting and different song.
I cast my vote for New York Minute.

Maleah
02-16-2008, 01:46 AM
Ick.....without a doubt I cast my vote for "Garden Of Allah"

DonFan
02-16-2008, 11:08 AM
Let's go for three--
I cast my vote for Garden of Allah too.

EasyFeeling
02-16-2008, 01:08 PM
I cast my vote for Garden Of Allah too.

rcknalwys
02-16-2008, 02:00 PM
I'm starting with Garden of Allah also.

Freypower
02-16-2008, 05:24 PM
This is easy. I cast my vote for The Garden Of Allah.

Sometimes Don tries to hard to be 'important'. This is one of those times,

Brooke
02-16-2008, 06:35 PM
I'm with the majority here.

I cast my vote for The Garden of Allah, too.

Ive always been a dreamer
02-17-2008, 11:37 AM
LOL! I'm probably the only person on this board who actually likes The Garden of Allah- I just find it to be an interesting and different song.

Nope - You're not the only one that likes Garden of Allah, Katherine. I agree with you, I like it a lot. However, as usual, I like all the songs on the CD, and do agree that it should be the first one to go. Since it looks like it will go this round, I am going to vote strategically ...

I cast my vote for Not Enough Love In the World.

glenneaglesfan
02-17-2008, 01:02 PM
Katherine, I like The Garden Of Allah too. When I first heard it I likened it to a mini opera. I like Don's wit here - the seersucker suit and the reference to Bavarian carmakers. I think he is making a good point here about the state of the world today, and I find the music rather exciting.

It's hard to choose one to go out this round, although I think it is a foregone conclusion. This is one of the best Greatest Hits collections I know. Still, I have to make a decision, so

I cast my vote for You Don't Know Me At All

Miss Ghost
02-17-2008, 07:24 PM
I vote for the Garden of Allah.

sodascouts
02-17-2008, 09:01 PM
The first song to be eliminated from Actual Miles Survivor is The Garden of Allah. “Garden of Allah,” you can go to hell with the down-hearted devil. Please leave immediately. The remaining songs may return to camp.

Votes
The Garden of Allah – 8
New York Minute – 1
Not Enough Love in the World – 1
You Don’t Know Me at All – 1

Vote Breakdown
The Garden of Allah – SodaScouts
The Garden of Allah – Maleah
The Garden of Allah – DonFan
The Garden of Allah – EasyFeeling
The Garden of Allah – rcknalwys
The Garden of Allah – Freypower
The Garden of Allah – Brooke
The Garden of Allah – Miss Ghost
New York Minute – katherine5832
Not Enough Love in the World – Ive always been a dreamer
You Don’t Know Me at All – glenneaglesfan

Songs eliminated:
The Garden of Allah 2/17

Songs remaining:
Dirty Laundry
The Boys of Summer
All She Wants to Do Is Dance
Not Enough Love in the World
Sunset Grill
The End of the Innocence
The Last Worthless Evening
New York Minute
I Will Not Go Quietly
The Heart of the Matter
You Don't Know Me at All
Everybody Knows

Voting for round 2 will begin after the following immunity question is answered:

How many songs on Actual Miles were not co-written by Don Henley?

PLEASE INCLUDE BOTH YOUR ANSWER AND THE SONG YOU WISH TO BE IMMUNE

katherine5832
02-17-2008, 09:19 PM
Answer to Immunity Question:

2 - All She Wants to Do is Dance and Everybody Knows

Immune Song: Everybody Knows

sodascouts
02-17-2008, 09:21 PM
You're right Katherine! Good job!

OK guys, you can NOT vote for Everybody Knows.

The songs you may vote for:

Dirty Laundry
The Boys of Summer
Sunset Grill
The End of the Innocence
New York Minute
I Will Not Go Quietly
The Heart of the Matter
You Don't Know Me at All

Voting for Round 2 begins now.

sodascouts
02-17-2008, 09:27 PM
Man this is hard. After Garden of Allah, I like all of these songs. I was going to vote for Everybody Knows, but that was foiled. Smart strategy, Katherine. I'm going to have to think this over.

katherine5832
02-17-2008, 09:28 PM
I vote for New York Minute.

Oh, and Dreamer and GE, I'm glad to see I'm not the only fan of TGOA after all!

katherine5832
02-17-2008, 09:33 PM
I was going to vote for Everybody Knows, but that was foiled. Smart strategy, Katherine.

LOL! Sorry about that, but I just had a feeling about that one getting a lot of votes this round...and I don't want to see it go too soon.

DonFan
02-17-2008, 10:01 PM
Wow, the voting got very painful very quickly. I don't know how I'm going to be able to do this.

I know I have to start somewhere, so...... I vote for All She Wants to do is Dance.

Freypower
02-17-2008, 11:02 PM
I cast my vote for Sunset Grill.

Brooke
02-18-2008, 12:35 PM
I cast my vote for Sunset Grill, too.

sodascouts
02-18-2008, 01:39 PM
I guess I'll go with the flow...

I cast my vote for Sunset Grill.

glenneaglesfan
02-18-2008, 06:14 PM
I know a lot of people like this but it just doesn't do much for me.

I cast my vote for I Will Not Go Quietly

sodascouts
02-18-2008, 08:55 PM
I know a lot of people like this but it just doesn't do much for me.

It wasn't my favorite in the past, but then I saw Don do it live, and he blew me away. Ever since then, I've loved it.

Maleah
02-19-2008, 12:13 AM
Answer to Immunity Question:

2 - All She Wants to Do is Dance and Everybody Knows

Immune Song: Everybody Knows

YEAAAAAH!!! Nice going Katherine! I was thrilled to see you saved Everybody Knows for this round! woohoo! :D

DonFan
02-19-2008, 12:39 AM

It wasn't my favorite in the past, but then I saw Don do it live, and he blew me away. Ever since then, I've loved it.

I have loved that song since the first time I heard it, and to see it performed live was just awesome (and I don't use that word often). He ROCKS it! :headbang:

Interesting voting so far--the votes are all over the place and the game is still young. Personally, I tend to give less weight to songs Don didn't write himself, which is why I voted for ASWTDID--although that song really rocks, too--I guess I have just heard it a tad too often. I would've voted for Everybody Knows (never a huge favorite of mine--guess I'm not a big Cohen fan) if it wasn't immune this round.

EasyFeeling
02-19-2008, 06:46 AM
I cast my vote for I Will Not Go Quietly.

Brooke
02-19-2008, 10:52 AM

I have loved that song since the first time I heard it, and to see it performed live was just awesome (and I don't use that word often). He ROCKS it! :headbang:

Interesting voting so far--the votes are all over the place and the game is still young. Personally, I tend to give less weight to songs Don didn't write himself, which is why I voted for ASWTDID--although that song really rocks, too--I guess I have just heard it a tad too often. I would've voted for Everybody Knows (never a huge favorite of mine--guess I'm not a big Cohen fan) if it wasn't immune this round.

Same here.

And same with IWNGQ. Didn't really care for it till I saw it live. Don definitely rocks it! :nod:

Edited to add:

Maleah, YDKMAA? nooooooooo! I just love the line from that song-"Sittin' here in limbo, tryin' to stay sane"!

<------------(it's in my location) :wink:

02-19-2008, 12:42 PM
Brooke - I totally agree with you about You Don't Know Me at All. That is one rockin', sexy song with so much attitude. I hope it sticks around for a while. You all are right, we are all over the place here. When all the songs are so good, it's hard to come to any kind of conscensus. Anyway, I'm going to stay the course for now ...

sodascouts
02-19-2008, 09:00 PM
The second song to be eliminated from Actual Miles Survivor is Sunset Grill. “Sunset Grill,” you’re a icon of the past that Don says we shouldn’t patronize anymore. Please leave immediately. The remaining songs may return to camp.

Votes
Sunset Grill – 3
I Will Not Go Quietly – 2
New York Minute – 1
All She Wants to Do Is Dance – 1
Not Enough Love in the World - 1

Vote Breakdown
Sunset Grill – Freypower
Sunset Grill – Brooke
Sunset Grill – SodaScouts
I Will Not Go Quietly – glenneaglesfan
I Will Not Go Quietly – EasyFeeling
All She Wants to Do Is Dance – DonFan
You Don’t Know Me at All – Maleah

Songs eliminated:
The Garden of Allah 2/17
Sunset Grill 2/19

Songs remaining:
Dirty Laundry
The Boys of Summer
The End of the Innocence
New York Minute
I Will Not Go Quietly
The Heart of the Matter
You Don't Know Me at All
Everybody Knows

Voting for round 3 will begin after the following immunity question is answered:

Which of the songs on Actual Miles charted highest on Billboard (the main chart)?

katherine5832
02-19-2008, 10:39 PM
Which of the songs on Actual Miles charted highest on Billboard (the main chart)?

Well, I hate to be an immunity question hog, but I'm going to attempt to answer the question, since we're only a half hour away from the deadline.

Dirty Laundry hit number 3 on the US Hot 100 (I'm assuming that's the Main chart?) in 1982. (I can't believe Boys of Summer didn't do better, but it did hit #1 on the Rock chart.)

If I'm correct, I will choose Everybody Knows again as the immune song.

sodascouts
02-19-2008, 10:46 PM
You are correct Katherine! Hey, if folks don't like you "hogging" the questions, they should step up their game! ;)

No one can vote for Everybody Knows.

Songs up for elimination this round:

Dirty Laundry
The Boys of Summer
The End of the Innocence
New York Minute
I Will Not Go Quietly
The Heart of the Matter
You Don't Know Me at All

Voting for Round 3 begins now.

katherine5832
02-19-2008, 10:56 PM
Well, at the risk of sounding like a broken record, I vote for New York Minute.

Freypower
02-19-2008, 11:45 PM
I cast my vote for All She Wants To Do Is Dance.

glenneaglesfan
02-20-2008, 04:54 AM
Ok, you've convinced me that IWNGQ is worth keeping longer.

I cast my vote for All She Wants To Do Is Dance

Brooke
02-20-2008, 11:23 AM
I'm not all that fond of ASWTDID, but it really wakes up the crowd at their concerts! Of course, some of these remaining songs would do that, too.

So, I'll go with the flow. I cast my vote for All She Wants To Do Is Dance.

sodascouts
02-20-2008, 11:31 AM
Although I think this song is really witty and clever, and it certainly rocks, I think of all the songs we can vote for it's the one I listen to least:

I cast my vote for You Don't Know Me at All.

02-20-2008, 01:12 PM
Oh man! I hate to see ASWTDID go this early. It is a great song, IMO, and deserves a better fate. Since the votes are so 'all over the place', it's doubtful that we can even form a coalition to save it, but I'm gonna give it a try. Let's vote for New York Minute in order to save it. Again, I will withhold officially casting my vote until I can determine if anyone is willing to form a coalition with me to save ASWTDID.

Miss Ghost
02-20-2008, 01:44 PM
I vote for ASWTDID.

DonFan
02-20-2008, 03:57 PM
I love You Don't Know Me At All--it is so Don! Yet another example of his biting commentaries on the industry, juxtaposed with a love song. Plus, it has some delicious lyrics--love the lines about "You were such a pretty mess," and "You should've killed me, you always look so good in black."

New York Minute is a one of my very favorites, too; it is so moody and atmospheric. I heard Don sing it live the first time on a misty summer night at Chastain Park in Atlanta, after the rain had stopped, and I remember seeing the candles flickering around me in the mist and hearing those first notes....to me, that song is a masterpiece, quite different from the rest of the songs on this album.

I'm going to have a terrible time voting either one of these off.
Once again, I vote for ASWTDID.

EasyFeeling
02-21-2008, 12:47 PM
Ooooh, ASWTDID is one of my favorites, too bad it got so many votes. :(

Maleah
02-21-2008, 01:32 PM

Perfect Little Sister
02-21-2008, 03:43 PM
Soda and Maleah...TWENTY LASHES WITH A WET NOODLE!!!!!! I love YDKMAA!

DonFan
02-21-2008, 04:01 PM
Soda and Maleah...TWENTY LASHES WITH A WET NOODLE!!!!!! I love YDKMAA!

Make that FORTY lashes! :twisted:

02-21-2008, 04:34 PM
I say make it FIFTY lashes! :wink: And since my desperate effort to save ASWTDID was a total failure, I'll go ahead and weigh in here. Once again ...

Brooke
02-21-2008, 05:29 PM
I say make it FIFTY lashes! :wink:

Well, add another 50 from me, too, and make the total 100 lashes with a wet noodle!

What's wrong with them?!!!!!! :crazy:

02-21-2008, 09:03 PM
The third song to be eliminated from Actual Miles Survivor is All She Wants To Do Is Dance. “ASWTDID,” it hurts me to say this, but you must please leave immediately. Don't come back here Yankee! The remaining songs may return to camp.

Votes
All She Wants to Do Is Dance – 5
You Don’t Know Me at All – 2
New York Minute – 1
I Will Not Go Quietly – 1
Not Enough Love in the World - 1

Vote Breakdown
All She Wants to Do Is Dance – Freypower
All She Wants to Do Is Dance – glenneaglesfan
All She Wants to Do Is Dance – Brooke
All She Wants to Do Is Dance – Miss Ghost
All She Wants to Do Is Dance – DonFan
You Don’t Know Me at All – SodaScouts

Songs eliminated:
The Garden of Allah 2/17
Sunset Grill 2/19
All She Wants To Do Is Dance 2/21

Songs remaining:
Dirty Laundry
The Boys of Summer
The End of the Innocence
New York Minute
I Will Not Go Quietly
The Heart of the Matter
You Don't Know Me at All
Everybody Knows

Voting for Round 4 will begin after the following immunity question is answered:

What is Don dressed as on the Actual Miles album front cover?

katherine5832
02-21-2008, 11:00 PM
A used car salesman.

Immune song: Everybody Knows (and I'm sure Everybody Knew that)

02-21-2008, 11:02 PM
You are correct Katherine!

No one can vote for Everybody Knows.

Songs up for elimination this round:

Dirty Laundry
The Boys of Summer
The End of the Innocence
New York Minute
I Will Not Go Quietly
The Heart of the Matter
You Don't Know Me at All

Voting for Round 4 begins now.

katherine5832
02-21-2008, 11:06 PM

sodascouts
02-22-2008, 10:08 AM

Sorry guys, it's a great song, but look what it's up against!

Brooke
02-22-2008, 11:30 AM
I cast my vote for I Will Not Go Quietly. The beginning of the song just makes me want to hit skip. If I manage to get through that, I like the rest of the song. I especially like the line

"I want to wrap my lovin' arms
around the small of your back, yeah
and pull you, pull you, pull you
pull you right up close to me
Yeah!"

Yeah! That's ok with me, Don! :heybaby:

But, still.....

EasyFeeling
02-22-2008, 01:11 PM
I cast my vote for I Will Not Go Quietly, aaain.

Maleah
02-22-2008, 01:41 PM

(runs and hides)

DonFan
02-22-2008, 02:53 PM
I am online most of the day while I am at my computer working, but these rounds always seem to close out at night when I am offline and with my family :hmm: . So, I never seem to be around to answer the immunity question and so I can get Everybody Knows the hell out of Dodge! :thumbsdown:

The last question is particularly funny, because my daughter Rachel--my liberal college freshman who loves Don for his music and his politics--was playing this CD the last time she was home from college and suddenly looked at the picture on the front and said, "Oh my God, Mom, I just realized that is Don! It doesn't look anything like him!" To which I replied, "Thank goodness."

Anyway, back to the business at hand.

I cast my vote for Not Enough Love in the World.

sodascouts
02-22-2008, 03:19 PM
I am online most of the day while I am at my computer working, but these rounds always seem to close out at night when I am offline and with my family :hmm: . So, I never seem to be around to answer the immunity question and so I can get Everybody Knows the hell out of Dodge! :thumbsdown:

The last question is particularly funny, because my daughter Rachel--my liberal college freshman who loves Don for his music and his politics--was playing this CD the last time she was home from college and suddenly looked at the picture on the front and said, "Oh my God, Mom, I just realized that is Don! It doesn't look anything like him!" To which I replied, "Thank goodness."

lol! Cute story! I heard some people actually thought that was a serious "new look" for him back in 1995. These people were not the sharpest tools in the shed.

And rounds end at 8:00 Eastern time every other day. That's how it goes... everybody knows. ;)

Where's the wet noodle for yours and Dreamer's votes for NELITW? That is a gorgeous song! I love the way he sings "I was either standing in your shadow, or blocking your light - and though I kept on trying, I could not make it right." Sigh. One of my top 10 Henley solo songs.

DonFan
02-22-2008, 03:30 PM
And rounds end at 8:00 Eastern time every other day. That's how it goes... everybody knows. ;).
:tonguewag:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do seem to remember that the ending time of some of the other Survivor rounds moved around a little bit--it wasn't ALWAYS at exactly the same time.

Where's the wet noodle for yours and Dreamer's votes for NELITW? That is a gorgeous song! One of my top 10 Henley solo songs.

I know--I like that song a lot, but not QUITE as much as the other songs that I'm not ready to vote off yet!

glenneaglesfan
02-22-2008, 05:13 PM
I knew the answer to the last immunity question, but am chronologically challenged!

I love these Song Survivor challenges. It gives me a chance to put an original album back into my car and listen to it properly again. Actual Miles rates very highly with me. Don has indeed chosen a very representative selection of his best works here.

Tough decision here. I think I'll have to go for

Not Enough Love In The World

Freypower
02-22-2008, 05:40 PM
Sometimes I llke Not Enough Love In The World. Sometimes I find it irritating. It is nowhere near my list of 'real' favourite Don songs.

So I cast my vote for Not Enough Love In The World.

And rules are rules, but Everybody Knows to me is Leonard Cohen, not Don. I think Leonard Cohen, like Randy Newman, is the best person to interpret his own songs, regardless of what people think of his singing voice. Don does a good job with it but in my opinion it isn't really representative of his solo work. That is my pesonal observation only.

DonFan
02-22-2008, 05:43 PM
And rules are rules, but Everybody Knows to me is Leonard Cohen, not Don. I think Leonard Cohen, like Randy Newman, is the best person to interpret his own songs, regardless of what people think of his singing voice. Don does a good job with it but in my opinion it isn't really representative of his solo work. That is my opinion only.

I completely agree, FP.

katherine5832
02-22-2008, 11:56 PM
I know this is all for fun, but I did wait until just before 10:00 to post my last answer. I can't believe I'm the only one on the board between 8:00 and 10:00. That just happens to be the time when I'm usually on the computer. If the deadline were during the day than other people would have the advantage because I don't post from work (I might sneak peeks and read posts though :shh: ) And besides, no matter which songs we make immune, I think we all know which two or three songs are going to end up as contenders for the Survivor title. I keep picking Everybody Knows because I like that song better than New York Minute and I Will Not Go Quietly and I just kept hoping that they'd be voted off early. So far, that hasn't happened, so my strategy isn't working. I'm really surprised that those two have been hanging on longer than Sunset Grill and All She Wants to Do is Dance did. I do have to admit, it has been interesting seeing you guys toil over your decisions! :twisted: And, who knows, I just might not be around tomorrow between 8:00 and 10:00 to answer the next question - HINT! HINT! :wink:

sodascouts
02-23-2008, 12:07 AM
You don't need to apologize, Katherine. People have different ideas about what is best and yours is just as valid as anyone else's.

And you're right, from what I can tell, you were not the only one signed in between 8:00 and 10:00 that night. It was nice of you to wait and give other people a chance, but if no one takes that chance, what are you supposed to do?

Thanks for participating in this game. Without you, no one would have answered these immunity questions so far, apparently. And that would have sucked.

katherine5832
02-23-2008, 12:24 AM
Thanks, Soda. I've enjoyed playing along. I hope people don't think I was taking offense to any of the posts, but I did want to chime in with my two cents.

DonFan
02-23-2008, 10:42 AM
Katherine, I was just playing around--I hope you didn't take offense to my posts, either. Believe me, I am thrilled to have another fan on the boards who is as passionate about Don as I am!

And thanks for the hint :wink: but I won't be online tomorrow night either. As a bit of explanation, I am married and my long-suffering husband puts up with about as much Don-adoration as he can stand, so when the family is home together at night, I try to stay away from the computer as much as possible, in the interest of family harmony. :sigh:

EasyFeeling
02-23-2008, 11:48 AM
As the saying goes... first come, first served. :wink:
I must admit I didn't know the answers of the immunity questions yet. :blush:

02-23-2008, 01:53 PM
Katherine - I totally agree with Soda and thank you for attempting to answer the immunity questions. It was very nice of you to wait and give others a chance to answer. It is also the right of anyone else not to participate. However, those who don't participate shouldn't be upset with the results. I know the time may not be convenient for some, but, of course, there is no way we can pick a time that is convenient for everyone since we are spread out across the globe. As far as being afraid of answering the questions incorrectly, no one needs to be embarrassed if they don't know the answer. It's just a game, and you can take a guess. Even if it's not right, there is no harm done. Another hint - you can probably find the answer to most of the questions somewhere on DHO. :wink: :wink:

Now, I guess I need to vote. I don't like to vote this early, but I probably won't be available tonight either. I need to secure the fate of the song I've been voting for all along. Therefore ...

Freypower
02-23-2008, 05:49 PM
I was online when the question was asked. I was going to answer 'used car salesman' but I was unsure if I was right, so I didn't. It isn't that I didn't want to participate. I didn't know the answers to the previous questions.

I can't help thinking perhaps it would be more intereesting if a song could only be immune once. Just a suggestion.

sodascouts
02-23-2008, 10:50 PM
I'm so sorry for the delay guys. I've been feeling badly, laid down for a while.... and fell asleep! I've just now gotten up.

The fourth song to be eliminated from Actual Miles Survivor is Not Enough Love in the World. “Not Enough Love in the World,” time to get off of this merry-go-round. Please leave immediately. The remaining songs may return to camp.

Votes
Not Enough Love in the World – 4
You Don’t Know Me at All – 2
New York Minute – 1

Vote Breakdown
Not Enough Love in the World – DonFan
Not Enough Love in the World – glenneaglesfan
Not Enough Love in the World – Freypower
I Will Not Go Quietly – Brooke

Songs eliminated:
The Garden of Allah 2/17
Sunset Grill 2/19

Songs remaining:
Dirty Laundry
The Boys of Summer
The End of the Innocence
New York Minute
I Will Not Go Quietly
The Heart of the Matter
You Don't Know Me at All
Everybody Knows

Voting for round 5 will begin after the following immunity question is answered:

Which of the songs on Actual Miles have been performed by the Eagles at some point in concert?

DonFan
02-23-2008, 11:23 PM
Let's see--the Eagles have performed Dirty Laundry, Boys of Summer, Sunset Grill, All She Wants to Do is Dance, New York Minute, and Heart of the Matter. They may have performed End of the Innocence at some time as well.

If I am right, I would like I will Not Go Quietly to be immune.

sodascouts
02-23-2008, 11:36 PM
Are you including EOTI as part of your answer DF? Sorry, I'm a bit confused!

DonFan
02-24-2008, 01:16 AM
I'm not sure if they have performed EOTI, so I guess it isn't part of my answer.

If anyone else would like to hazard a guess here, feel free.

sodascouts
02-24-2008, 01:21 AM
Well, OK, if you're not going to include that, then your answer is correct!

I Will Not Go Quietly is immune.

VOTING FOR ROUND 5 BEGINS NOW.

DonFan
02-24-2008, 11:11 AM
I cast my vote for Everybody Knows.

katherine5832
02-24-2008, 01:06 PM

WHAT??? I'm shocked! Shocked I say! :shock: :wink:

Well, while it's fruitless to try to save Everybody Knows for another round, I'm going to vote for New York Minute again. I like it, but it is my least favorite song on the CD.

EasyFeeling
02-24-2008, 02:22 PM
Don't kill me Soda, I have to go with DF and cast my vote for Everybody Knows. :wink:

sodascouts
02-24-2008, 04:12 PM
lol! Don't worry, you're safe from me, EF.

Miss Ghost
02-24-2008, 04:56 PM
I vote for Everybody Knows.

Freypower
02-24-2008, 06:02 PM

Brooke
02-24-2008, 06:13 PM
No problem from me either Katherine, for answering the immunity questions. I just don't usually have time to be on the board much in the evenings either. Not that I knew the answers! I would have had to search for them.

I am sad to see IWNGQ immune. So, I guess it's time for Everybody Knows to go. I don't like Don's sneering voice in the song at all, and he certainly gives it all he's got!

My vote goes for Everybody Knows.

DonFan
02-24-2008, 06:22 PM

WHAT??? I'm shocked! Shocked I say! :shock: :wink:

Yeah, that was a big surprise, wasn't it? :wink:

Glennsallnighter
02-24-2008, 06:32 PM
I hadn't realised this survivor had started, as I don't tend to visit the Don thread very often. So I'll join in here and cast my vote for Everybody knows. I can see it getting quite hard after this!!

Brooke
02-24-2008, 06:51 PM
I hadn't realised this survivor had started, as I don't tend to visit the Don thread very often. So I'll join in here and cast my vote for Everybody knows. I can see it getting quite hard after this!!

You are just going to have to branch out a little more, Ga! Don's threads can be very interesting! :wink:

And I agree, the rest of this is going to be very tough. I really love all the rest of the songs. This is one of my very favorite albums of all. It never leaves my car. (Copies in the home) I rarely let a week go by that it isn't played. Actually I play it more than any Eagles albums even! :shock:

Glennsallnighter
02-24-2008, 08:35 PM

You are just going to have to branch out a little more, Ga! Don's threads can be very interesting! :wink:

Yes I must do that! Thanks!

And I agree, the rest of this is going to be very tough. I really love all the rest of the songs. This is one of my very favorite albums of all. It never leaves my car. (Copies in the home) I rarely let a week go by that it isn't played. Actually I play it more than any Eagles albums even! :shock:

That unique accolade goes to my Glenn :heart: UMC cd! My 6 year old tends to make those important decisions in our car. But I usually concur anyway!

rcknalwys
02-25-2008, 05:07 PM
Everybody Knows gets my vote this round.

sodascouts
02-25-2008, 09:00 PM
In a landslide, the fifth song to be eliminated from Actual Miles Survivor is Everybody Knows. “Everybody Knows,” it’s time for you to go – your scene is dead. That’s how it goes. Please leave immediately. The remaining songs may return to camp.

Votes
Everybody Knows – 6
New York Minute – 1

Vote Breakdown
Everybody Knows – DonFan
Everybody Knows – EasyFeeling
Everybody Knows – Miss Ghost
Everybody Knows – Freypower
Everybody Knows – Brooke
Everybody Knows – rcknalwys

Songs eliminated:
The Garden of Allah 2/17
Sunset Grill 2/19
Everybody Knows – 2/25

Songs remaining:
Dirty Laundry
The Boys of Summer
The End of the Innocence
New York Minute
I Will Not Go Quietly
The Heart of the Matter
You Don't Know Me at All

Voting for round 6 will begin after the following immunity question is answered:

Prior to 1995, what is the only song that Don has made a video for that does NOT appear on Actual Miles (not counting duets)?

Freypower
02-25-2008, 10:01 PM
The legendary Johnny Can't Read. :twisted:

I would like The Last Worthless Evening to be immune.

sodascouts
02-25-2008, 10:13 PM
You are correct!

The Last Worthless Evening is immune.

VOTING FOR ROUND SIX BEGINS NOW.

Freypower
02-25-2008, 10:21 PM
I like You Don't Know Me At All, but I'm still fairly new to it. So I guess it can go now.

I cast my vote for You Don't Know Me At All.

sodascouts
02-26-2008, 01:16 AM
Once again...

EasyFeeling
02-26-2008, 04:10 AM
I vote I Will Not Go Quietly off.

Good choice, FP. 8)

Glennsallnighter
02-26-2008, 08:50 AM
I'll cast my vote for 'You Don't know Me At All' for this round

DonFan
02-26-2008, 01:39 PM
I vote for You Don't Know Me At All.

katherine5832
02-26-2008, 09:00 PM
Well, now it's the principle of the thing with me. I'm casting my vote for New York Minute even though it's obviously not going to be voted off this round (unless I can rally a whole bunch of people to vote in these waning minutes...c'mon everybody!). I know, I know, I'm just being stubborn, but darn't my vote will be heard! :D And eventually, I'll be voting with the majority and not the minority (of one!) when you guys start voting for NYM. I mean, it's got to happen soon, doesn't it??

katherine5832
02-26-2008, 10:25 PM
:blush: I just realized that the vote doesn't end until tomorrow night - wishful thinking on my part that this was Wednesday night and not Tuesday night! So, now I have time to rally some people around me and vote NYM off. Please?? Anyone?? :wink:

DonFan
02-26-2008, 10:59 PM
I know you have consistently voted against it every time, Katherine, but I don't think you have told us why. What is it about New York Minute that you dislike?

katherine5832
02-26-2008, 11:11 PM
I know you have consistently voted against it every time, Katherine, but I don't think you have told us why. What is it about New York Minute that you dislike?

I don't necessarily dislike it, but it is definitely my least favorite of the songs on the CD. I can't pinpoint anything specific that makes it my least favorite. And it's certainly not my least favorite song by Don overall - just on this CD. It's the equivalent of Witchy Woman on Their Greatest Hits. They are both songs that I wouldn't miss if they weren't on the CDs, but curiously, I still sing along to whenever I hear them. I guess that says a lot about the Eagles and Don. Even my least favorite songs by them are still enjoyable enough for me to listen to and sing along with. Hell, this is coming from someone who really likes The Disco Strangler! :blush:

Brooke
02-26-2008, 11:16 PM
I thought I voted earlier today, but now I remember I kept getting a "critical error" and finally gave up.

Anyway, I'm wondering why everyone likes IWNGQ better than YDKMAA? The beginning of IWNGQ just grates at me and I want to skip it before it really even gets started!

That's my vote-I Will Not Go Quietly.

Maleah
02-26-2008, 11:34 PM
I vote for You Don't Know Me At All

DonFan
02-26-2008, 11:39 PM
I can't pinpoint anything specific that makes it my least favorite.

Some songs just hit you that way. That is the way I feel about Last Worthless Evening. There is nothing really wrong with it, it just isn't a favorite.

I guess that says a lot about the Eagles and Don. Even my least favorite songs by them are still enjoyable enough for me to listen to and sing along with.

I know just what you mean!

katherine5832
02-26-2008, 11:50 PM
I can't pinpoint anything specific that makes it my least favorite.

Some songs just hit you that way. That is the way I feel about Last Worthless Evening. There is nothing really wrong with it, it just isn't a favorite.

Isn't it amazing how all of us feel so differently about songs? Last Worthless Evening is probably in my top 5 of favorite Henley songs. It just makes me melt!

glenneaglesfan
02-27-2008, 05:05 AM
I was going to make the observation that there are five songs that haven't yet had one vote against them. That would suggest that we are all going to have much the same top five - does that say something about our similar tastes in music, or is it to do with the quality of Don's songwriting?

This round though

Freypower
02-27-2008, 06:45 PM
If I can make an observation, I think it's interesting that there has been hardly any discussion about the songs themselves. For the most part people (myself included) have voted and not elaborated on their reasons.

I hope the other studio albums will get Survivor games, even if only a handful of people participate, because there might be more discussion of the songs.

sodascouts
02-27-2008, 08:07 PM
Anyway, I'm wondering why everyone likes IWNGQ better than YDKMAA? The beginning of IWNGQ just grates at me and I want to skip it before it really even gets started!

I think the thing that puts IWNGQ over YDKMAA for me is how killer it is live!

As far as NYM goes, it's not my favorite certainly - but I did love hearing Stevie Nicks and Don sing it a lot on the "Two Voices" tour so that moves it up a bit for me.

FP - I doubt doing the studio albums will garner more discussion; indeed, I think there would be less, because less people will have heard the songs in question!

sodascouts
02-27-2008, 09:00 PM
The sixth song to be eliminated from Actual Miles Survivor is You Don’t Know Me At All. “You Don’t Know Me At All,” it’s time to say goodbye. Please leave immediately. The remaining songs may return to camp.

Votes

You Don’t Know Me at All – 6
New York Minute – 1

Vote Breakdown
You Don’t Know Me at All – Freypower
You Don’t Know Me at All – Glennsallnighter
You Don’t Know Me at All – DonFan
You Don’t Know Me at All – glenneaglesfan
I Will Not Go Quietly – Brooke

Songs eliminated:
The Garden of Allah 2/17
Sunset Grill 2/19
Everybody Knows – 2/25
You Don’t Know Me at All – 2/27

Songs remaining:
Dirty Laundry
The Boys of Summer
The End of the Innocence
New York Minute
I Will Not Go Quietly
The Heart of the Matter

Voting for round 7 will begin after the following immunity question is answered:

Which song on Actual Miles was inspired by a failed attempt to pick up a girl who was also being hit on by Jack Nicholson?

Please include both your answer and the song you wish to be immune.

DonFan
02-27-2008, 09:37 PM
Last Worthless Evening.

I would like New York Minute to be immune.

sodascouts
02-27-2008, 10:14 PM
You've got it, DF!

New York Minute is immune.

VOTING FOR ROUND SEVEN BEGINS NOW.

Freypower
02-27-2008, 10:15 PM
Just when I was about to vote for New York Minute it becomes immune.

I understand there may still not be much discussion about studio album songs but still it seems that only a handful of people who know the songs will be playing anyway.

katherine5832
02-27-2008, 10:47 PM
My streak has ended....thankfully, my second choice is a pretty easy one to make. I vote for I Will Not Go Quietly. Like New York Minute, I would not miss this song if it weren't on Actual Miles. The best part of the song are the lines that everyone here seems to love:

"Well, c'mon over here baby
You bout to gimme a heart attack
I wanna wrap my lovin arms
Around the small of your back
Yeah, and Im gonna pull you, pull you, pull you
Pull you right up close to me"

Very sexy lyrics, but not enough for me to keep this one around much longer. And, I know that a lot of you have seen it live and loved it. I may have seen it too since I've seen him in concert 3 times. If I did, it didn't leave an impression on me. Of course, my mind is like a sieve these days so not much of anything is leaving an impression on me! :crazy:

FP, I wonder if there hasn't been much discussion because the first few rounds were fairly easy for everyone. I think the last 5 rounds are going to be really tough, and perhaps, generate more discussion. I know which one I want to see win, but as far as voting off the other ones, I have no idea in what order I want to see them go.

Freypower
02-27-2008, 11:32 PM
I haven't seen Don solo and I am extremely unlikely to . I thought it was interesting that two songs which the Eagles still insist on playing, SG and ASWTDID, were voted off quickly. I really believe that if Don still has to do solo songs, these should be changed. But I am hoping he will be singing his new Eagles songs, not these.

DonFan
02-27-2008, 11:38 PM
After my discussion in the last round, my vote is pretty obvious, but...
I cast my vote for Last Worthless Evening.

katherine5832
02-27-2008, 11:48 PM
I haven't seen Don solo and I am extremely unlikely to . I thought it was interesting that two songs which the Eagles still insist on playing, SG and ASWTDID, were voted off quickly. I really believe that if Don still has to do solo songs, these should be changed. But I am hoping he will be singing his new Eagles songs, not these.

That actually makes me think of something that I've been wondering about for some time now. I'm sorry I'm asking it here and not someplace else, but does anyone know why they sing so many of Joe's and Don's solo songs (not that I'm complaining because I really enjoy those songs) and so few of Glenn's? I really enjoy "You Belong to the City" on FT1 and I'm sure they played "Smuggler's Blues" and/or "The Heat is On" when I saw them during the HFO tour. I have to admit, those three might be the only ones that I know of Glenn's! Well, I think I know Sexy Girl too. Yes, I know, I need to expand my horizons, don't I? I'll never be mistaken for one of Glenn's Angels, that's for sure!

katherine5832
02-27-2008, 11:49 PM
After my discussion in the last round, my vote is pretty obvious, but...

Wow! I didn't see that coming! :wink:

sodascouts
02-27-2008, 11:51 PM
I'm of the camp that adores LWE. Such a lovely sentiment, and not your run-of-the-mill angsty love song. So... although I think it rocks...

sodascouts
02-28-2008, 12:01 AM
That actually makes me think of something that I've been wondering about for some time now. I'm sorry I'm asking it here and not someplace else, but does anyone know why they sing so many of Joe's and Don's solo songs (not that I'm complaining because I really enjoy those songs) and so few of Glenn's? I really enjoy "You Belong to the City" on FT1 and I'm sure they played "Smuggler's Blues" and/or "The Heat is On" when I saw them during the HFO tour. I have to admit, those three might be the only ones that I know of Glenn's! Well, I think I know Sexy Girl too. Yes, I know, I need to expand my horizons, don't I? I'll never be mistaken for one of Glenn's Angels, that's for sure!

This is something I remember being really surprised by as a new fan. I bought Farewell 1 and I was like "Wow, there are a lot of solo songs of Don's and Joe's and only one of Glenn's (not counting the instrumental)? What's up with that?"

YBTTC is a difficult song to sing - perhaps Glenn dropped it as a result. I don't know why he doesn't replace it with an easier solo hit like The Heat Is On, though. EVERYBODY knows that one. It was the biggest selling single of ANY solo Eagle, reaching #2 on the charts (so did YBTTC). My personal favorite is Smuggler's Blues... he tears that up, and the Eagles have done it before to great results. It rocks!

But Glenn, for whatever reason, opted to nix all of his solo songs. I actually said to him one time that it would be great if he put a solo song back in the Eagles set and he didn't look too enthused about the notion.

Of course, I would rather they do all Eagles songs anyway, but if Don and Joe get solo stuff in there, Glenn should put a song of his in there too! JMHO.

DonFan
02-28-2008, 12:10 AM
And, I know that a lot of you have seen IWNGQ live and loved it. I may have seen it too since I've seen him in concert 3 times. If I did, it didn't leave an impression on me.

Katherine, you have seen Don solo three times? I've seen him solo four times--he is fantastic, isn't he? We need to compare notes in another thread sometime.

However--I didn't see him do IWNGQ until his solo shows last summer, so it is possible you haven't seen him do this. I find it very, VERY hard to believe that if you saw him rock out on this song, that you could EVER forget it! 8) :smitten: :smokin:

Freypower
02-28-2008, 12:11 AM
The 'why doesn't Glenn sing solo songs with the Eagles' thing is a sore point with me. As this is Don's forum I'll keep it positive and say that at least I got to see Smuggler's Blues back in the HFO days as well as YBTTC played on guitar. I had seen THIO back in 1988l. I would like to see Glenn sing another solo song with the Eagles. That's all.

Katherine, if you can find a Greatest Hits CD by Glenn, please invest in it. It will be worth your while.

rcknalwys
02-28-2008, 10:18 AM
Getting harder and harder. NYM has a lot of personal significance for me so I can't vote it off yet, and it's imune anyways! I agree, IWNGQ does rock but I will have to vote it off this time cause it's my least favorite of the remaining songs. It's going to get hard from here on to chose one to vote off....can't wait to see what song is the last one standing.

glenneaglesfan
02-28-2008, 01:03 PM
I agree, Rckn, it's going to be very hard to vote in the final stages, but for now,

It was one I voted against early on, but after hearing descriptions of it live by Df, Soda and Brooke, I thought it deserved a reprieve!

On the subject of which solo songs they do live, I can only conclude that they have chosen songs they all enjoy playing. You have only to see how much fun they have in Funk #49, Dirty Laundry and All She Wants To Do Is Dance (Glenn in particular!). I can't see why they wouldn't have just as much fun doing The Heat Is On or Smuggler's Blues though. Glenn is always so self-deprecating about his solo career; I have to assume it's been his decision to drop them. Our loss.

Glennsallnighter
02-28-2008, 01:23 PM
I too cast my vote for Í will not go Quietly.

I agree that its an awful pity that Glenn :heart: won't do at least 1 or 2 of his own solo songs at Eagles gigs and worse doesn't seem too enthusiastic about it.

Katherine I got the Universal Masters Collection. Its really good for Glenn's hits. And makes great driving music!!

Maleah
02-29-2008, 03:55 AM
I cast my vote for "I Will Not Go Quietly." I love it.......but not nearly as much as the other remaining songs!

As far as the solo songs that they sing in their shows.......they kind of have to perform Joe's big hits because otherwise he wouldn't have much. I'd love to see them drop sunset grill and maybe even All she Wants to do is Dance......but call me selfish.......I'd like to see Dirty Laundry and Boys of summer performed. lol Hey it's not like I'd get to hear them any other way. As far as Glenn's stuff....I'd LOVE to see them do smuggler's blues again! I LOVE You Belong to the city as well. I know they did The Heat Is On before.....but for some reason I have a hard time imagining the group performing it together. lol

sodascouts
02-29-2008, 10:49 AM
Here's an MP3 of the Eagles doing The Heat Is On in London in 1996:

http://www.glennfreyonline.com/multimedia/MP3/HeatIsOnLondon96.mp3

As you can tell, it brought the house down!

I see your point about Joe, and I also agree that Sunset Grill and ASWTDID should be the ones dropped if they are shortening the setlist or replacing songs with new ones. Since Dirty Laundry and Boys of Summer were such hits, I'd understand them keeping those.

Brooke
02-29-2008, 03:25 PM
That was great! I too, wish they would do that and Smugglers Blues. Come on Glenn!

I think SG and ASWTDID should also be left out of the Eagles sets. If Don is going to continue touring solo, they could also leave out BOS and DL. We could see all of them then.

As for Glenn, he could PLEASE tour more solo and we could see all of his hits, too.

The Eagles could do all Eagles songs and have lots of room for NEW ones.

But Joe is a problem. Eagles can't leave out Life's Been Good. His Eagles work is lacking.

Brooke
02-29-2008, 05:41 PM
Oops! Forgot to vote!

sodascouts
02-29-2008, 09:13 PM
In another landslide, the seventh song to be eliminated from Actual Miles Survivor is I Will Not Go Quietly. “I Will Not Go Quietly,” please make your noisy exit immediately. The remaining songs may return to camp.

Votes

I Will Not Go Quietly – 7
Last Worthless Evening – 2

Vote Breakdown
I Will Not Go Quietly – Freypower
I Will Not Go Quietly – katherine5832
I Will Not Go Quietly – SodaScouts
I Will Not Go Quietly – rcknalwys
I Will Not Go Quietly – glenneaglesfan
I Will Not Go Quietly – Glennsallnighter
I Will Not Go Quietly - Maleah
Last Worthless Evening – DonFan
Last Worthless Evening – Brooke

Songs eliminated:
The Garden of Allah 2/17
Sunset Grill 2/19
Everybody Knows – 2/25
I Will Not Go Quietly – 2/29

Songs remaining:
Dirty Laundry
The Boys of Summer
The End of the Innocence
New York Minute
The Heart of the Matter

Voting for round 8 will begin after the following immunity question is answered:

Which song won “Best Video” at the 1985 MTV Video Music Awards?

Miss Ghost
02-29-2008, 10:52 PM
Boys of Summer won that award.

I want The End of the Innocence to be immune.

sodascouts
02-29-2008, 10:54 PM
That's right!

End of the Innocence is immune.

VOTING FOR ROUND EIGHT BEGINS NOW.

Miss Ghost
02-29-2008, 11:02 PM

Maleah
02-29-2008, 11:31 PM

I love the moodiness of the song and the bluesy style.....but it's up against some real powerhouses now!

Thanks for the audio file Nancy! You're right....it did bring the house down!

sodascouts
03-01-2008, 12:53 AM
I agree guys, time for it to go!

Freypower
03-01-2008, 01:19 AM
I cast my vote for New York Minute. I have to say I always admired Don for writing a song about this particular city, my favourite place in the world apart from London, but in terms of his songs the other that remain are superior to this.

katherine5832
03-01-2008, 02:00 AM
Are you all sitting down? This might come as a shock to everyone, but I'm casting my vote for New York Minute! :lol: Could this finally be the end for NYM???

Glennsallnighter
03-01-2008, 05:19 AM
This is indeed getting hard! Looks like NYM is going for the chop this time round. I cast my vote for 'Last Worthless Evening'

EasyFeeling
03-01-2008, 07:45 AM
Missed the last round. Wow, this is getting hard now. :shock: I love all the remaining songs... ok, it has to be done... I cast my vote for New York Minute.

glenneaglesfan
03-01-2008, 05:44 PM
Down to the big five for me. I love these remaining songs.

I cast my vote for New York Minute

DonFan
03-02-2008, 12:19 AM
Are you all sitting down? This might come as a shock to everyone, but I'm casting my vote for New York Minute! :lol:

What a surprise. :wink:
Even though it appears to be useless, I cast my vote for Last Worthless Evening.

rcknalwys
03-02-2008, 08:12 PM
Oh man, harder and harder. I know it's going this time but I still can't vote of NYM so I'm casting my vote for LWE :weep: I love this song so it's hard, but not as hard as the next few rounds will be I guess.

sodascouts
03-02-2008, 09:00 PM
By a good margin, the eighth song to be eliminated from Actual Miles Survivor is New York Minute. “New York Minute,” one day you’re here, the next day you’re gone. Please leave immediately. The remaining songs may return to camp.

Votes
New York Minute – 7
Last Worthless Evening – 3

Vote Breakdown
New York Minute – Miss Ghost
New York Minute – Maleah
New York Minute – SodaScouts
New York Minute – Freypower
New York Minute – EasyFeeling
New York Minute – glenneaglesfan
Last Worthless Evening – Glennsallnighter
Last Worthless Evening – rcknalwys

Songs eliminated:
The Garden of Allah 2/17
Sunset Grill 2/19
Everybody Knows – 2/25
New York Minute – 3/2

Songs remaining:
Dirty Laundry
The Boys of Summer
The End of the Innocence
The Heart of the Matter

Voting for round 9 will begin after the following immunity question is answered:

Which song on Actual Miles is co-written by Bruce Hornsby?

Freypower
03-02-2008, 09:13 PM
The End Of The Innocence, and I would like The End Of The Innocence to be immune.

sodascouts
03-02-2008, 09:17 PM
That's right, FP!

The End of the Innocence is immune.

VOTING FOR ROUND NINE BEGINS NOW.

sodascouts
03-02-2008, 09:19 PM
Now, it seems to me Last Worthless Evening is getting a lot of votes, and I'm a bit concerned, as I love this song. So, I propose fellow lovers of this song to form a coalition around Dirty Laundry.

I cast my vote for Dirty Laundry.

And I urge everyone else who wants to SAVE LAST WORTHLESS EVENING to do the same!

Freypower
03-02-2008, 09:24 PM
I love both songs but I feel that Dirty Laundry's message remains as relevant was when it was written. So, very reluctantly....

I cast my vote for The Last Worthless Evening.

katherine5832
03-02-2008, 09:32 PM
Now, it seems to me Last Worthless Evening is getting a lot of votes, and I'm a bit concerned, as I love this song. So, I propose fellow lovers of this song to form a coalition around Dirty Laundry.

And I urge everyone else who wants to SAVE LAST WORTHLESS EVENING to do the same!

I'm with you Soda! Save LWE! FP, you are so right that DL still has relevance today - maybe even more so than in the early 80's. But as much as I love DL (and as much as I love Don when he sings angry), I've got to stick by LWE. It's one of the sexiest songs ever by Don or anyone else.

DonFan
03-03-2008, 12:38 AM
I cast my vote, AGAIN, for Last Worthless Evening.

Maleah
03-03-2008, 02:44 AM
sorry, I just can't bring myself to vote for Dirty Laundry! It's the song that brought both Don AND the Eagles to my attention! There's just something about hearing that song begin.....I love it!

Therefore...I cast my vote for Last Worthless Evening

:(

EasyFeeling
03-03-2008, 04:05 AM

rcknalwys
03-03-2008, 02:08 PM
Again, harder and harder. Guess I'll have to stick my vote from the last round and go with LWE.

Brooke
03-03-2008, 03:50 PM
Wow, I've had a horrendously busy weekend and completely missed the last round!

It's really hard now. I love all of the remaining songs. NYM would have been my choice last round, too. I like it. Just not as well as the rest.

This time, I cast my vote for Last Worthless Evening.

Glennsallnighter
03-03-2008, 04:41 PM
I like Dirty Laundry (well I like LWE as well) but unless I want to vote strategically (which I don't!) I suppose one of these two is going down. So I cast my vote for 'Last Worthless Evening'

glenneaglesfan
03-03-2008, 07:11 PM
Ah, my last five still standing!

I disagree with sending off LWE so soon. It's a beautiful song, but it looks as if it's going. I don't think I can save it, so I'm going to cast my vote for The Heart Of The Matter

EasyFeeling
03-04-2008, 06:04 AM
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Mrs Frey
03-04-2008, 07:08 AM
Ah, at last I can vote, since I know the remaining songs.

I cast my vote for "The Last Worthless Evening".

GEF, "The Heart Of The Matter"? I'm with EF on this one! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

03-04-2008, 12:00 PM
Well, the game and discussion was certainly interesting while I was away. As far as the Eagles doing solo songs in their shows, I’m one of those that likes them. I agree that they have to keep some of Joe’s classics such as Funk 49, Life’s Been Good, and Rocky Mountain Way. I love Walk Away, but I think they may drop it to make room for a new Joe song. IMO, they should also keep Boys of Summer and Dirty Laundry. I am one of those that loves ASWTDID, and would hate to see it go, but I understand they may need to drop it to make room for a new song. I like Sunset Grill, but agree that it falls rather flat when done live so it definitely should go. I also absolutely agree that Glenn should include at least one, and preferably two, of his solo hits. My top choices would be THIO and YBTTC since they were the two highest charting Eagles solo hits. Smuggler’s Blues rocks and worked well in the HFO set list too.

Now, back to the game. Wow – the top five here are all just awesome songs. It definitely doesn’t seem right to vote against any of them. However, it must be done. I agree that LWE is the one that should go next. However, since it appears that it will go without my vote, I am going to look towards the future and vote strategically.

I cast my vote for The Heart of the Matter.

EasyFeeling
03-04-2008, 12:36 PM
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: I'm a little more shocked now. :wink:

sodascouts
03-04-2008, 01:41 PM
What?! The Heart of the Matter before Dirty Laundry? This is crazy talk!!

Brooke
03-04-2008, 02:50 PM
:shock: Yeah! What gives here? :wink:

Actually, I think HOTM is one of the songs that made me realize what a gifted man Don is. I know he had help from JD Souther (or maybe vice versa), but the lyrics in that song are just awesome and so meaningful.

Really, these last 4 0r 5 songs could be tied for the best with me! It's hard to say which is actually better than the other.

03-04-2008, 03:09 PM
Okay ladies - let me explain my strategy before you get your panties in a bunch! :wink: :wink:

I am betting that Dirty Laundry will be voted off next. I'm also thinking that the final round will be between The Heart of the Matter and The Boys of Summer. Since neither have any previous votes, I thought I would go ahead and use my vote against HOTM (for tiebreaker purposes) in this round since LWE doesn't need my vote to be eliminated.

03-04-2008, 09:52 PM
Sorry for the delay, but the ninth song to be eliminated from Actual Miles Survivor is The Last Worthless Evening. “Last Worthless Evening,” it just breaks my heart to see you leave this way, but you must please leave immediately. The remaining songs may return to camp.

Votes
Last Worthless Evening – 7
Dirty Laundry - 3
The Heart of the Matter - 2

Vote Breakdown
Last Worthless Evening – Freypower
Last Worthless Evening – Maleah
Last Worthless Evening – rcknalwys
Last Worthless Evening – Brooke
Last Worthless Evening – Glennsallnighter
Last Worthless Evening – Mrs. Frey
Dirty Laundry – SodaScouts
Dirty Laundry – katherine5832
Dirty Laundry – EasyFeeling
The Heart of the Matter - glenneaglesfan
The Heart of the Matter - Ive always been a dreamer

Songs eliminated:
The Garden of Allah 2/17
Sunset Grill 2/19
Everybody Knows – 2/25
New York Minute – 3/2

Songs remaining:
Dirty Laundry
The Boys of Summer
The End of the Innocence
The Heart of the Matter

Voting for Round 10 will begin after the following immunity question is answered:

Which song on Actual Miles does Don sometimes dedicate to Nancy Grace?

katherine5832
03-04-2008, 10:10 PM
Which song on Actual Miles does Don sometimes dedicate to Nancy Grace?

Ick! Dirty Laundry and how apt that dedication is!

Whoa, this is a toughie, but I'm going to make Dirty Laundry immune.

03-04-2008, 10:14 PM
You are correct, Katherine!

Dirty Laundry is immune.

VOTING FOR ROUND TEN BEGINS NOW.

rcknalwys
03-04-2008, 10:23 PM
Well done K5832. Now the voting gets harder. I'm going to go with End of the Innocence this round....I know, it's a great song, but someone's got to be the first one to vote against it, might as well be me!

katherine5832
03-04-2008, 10:31 PM
Well done K5832. Now the voting gets harder. I'm going to go with End of the Innocence this round....I know, it's a great song, but someone's got to be the first one to vote against it, might as well be me!

How funny! You literally took the words right out of my mouth...I was going to bite the bullet and be the first to vote against it. I cast my vote for End of the Innocence too.

Freypower
03-04-2008, 11:08 PM
Who is Nancy Grace?

I cast my vote for The Heart Of The Matter.[/b]

katherine5832
03-04-2008, 11:27 PM
Who is Nancy Grace?

Well, to paraphrase Don, "she's a bubble-headed bleach blonde who comes on at 5:00. She can tell you about the plane crash (or kidnapping, domestic abuse, homicide, etc.) with a gleam in her eye."

She's on CNN's Headline News channel. I'm sorry if there are any Nancy Grace fans out there, but she's an idiot. :x

http://www.cnn.com/CNN/Programs/nancy.grace/

DonFan
03-05-2008, 12:02 AM
I cast my vote for Boys of Summer.

Maleah
03-05-2008, 12:03 AM
I cast my vote for End of the Innocence

It's obviously a great song and has an important message....but I just like HOTM better. The first time I heard HOTM the lyrics just gripped me. Then I thought of what the lyrics meant to Don. I'm sure a lot of it was written with the women in his life in mind........but I think it also had to do with his past in the band and learning to forgive. What a powerful message!

sodascouts
03-05-2008, 12:27 AM
Ack, Dirty Laundry is immune? That's the only one left that I don't feel guilty about voting off! So, I have to go for one of Don's top three solo masterpieces.

I cast my vote for The End of the Innocence.

I pretty much feel the same way as Maleah. Great song, but something has to go.

EasyFeeling
03-05-2008, 03:51 AM
I cast my vote for The End Of The Innocence.

Mrs Frey
03-05-2008, 06:39 AM
Okay ladies - let me explain my strategy before you get your panties in a bunch! :wink: :wink:

LOL, Dreamer! :lol: I just had to say I thought that was very funny.

Before I cast my next vote, I thought I'd add my two cents worth to the debate about the boys including some of their solo material in the Eagles' set lists. I really enjoy the Don solo material that was used in F1, although I'm not a big fan of "Sunset Grill", I must admit. I also love Joe's solo material, although I'd like to hear "Guilty Of The Crime" instead of perhaps "Rocky Mountain Way". I enjoy "Walk Away" - I'd like that to stay.

As for Glenn :heart:, I really think that ONE solo song for him is far too little. I love YBTTC, but I'd like to hear at least "Smuggler's Blues" too. The Pittsburgh rendition they did on the HFO tour thrills me - it gives Glenn :heart: a chance to really show off his classy guitar skills.

Back to "Actual Miles". I cast my vote for "The End Of The Innocence".

katherine5832
03-05-2008, 09:23 AM
Ack, Dirty Laundry is immune? That's the only one left that I don't feel guilty about voting off! So, I have to go for one of Don's top three solo masterpieces.

Trust me, the immunity question was much easier to answer than choosing which song to make immune! I was waffling between DL and EOTI, but I finally had to go with DL. I think I like it a smidgen more than EOTI. I was willing to sacrifice DL in the last round in order to save LWE, but alas, it was not to be. :sad:

Mrs Frey
03-05-2008, 10:11 AM
Ah, Katherine, the decisions we have to make in life... :wink:

I am proud to announce that I've managed to get my hands on a copy of "Actual Miles", thanks to a very kind friend, and it's an excellent album. I was very pleased to be able to hear the original studio recordings of "Dirty Laundry" and "All She Wants To Do Is Dance" for the first time, since I've grown to love the F1 versions of these songs. I knew I was recovering from my cold when I began dancing all around my bedroom to both songs! :D

I have something else quite amazing to share with all of you! When I heard "Everybody Knows", I was stunned that I was indeed familiar with the song, but had no idea that it was a Henley composition and originally sung by him! A local investment company has been using a part of the song for an advertisement for at least a year, sung in a very laid back manner by an unknown (at least to me) singer. I've always liked it and sang along, so imagine my surprise when I heard Don singing the first few lines of the song on my album last night! :shock: :D

DonFan
03-05-2008, 12:07 PM
I have something else quite amazing to share with all of you! When I heard "Everybody Knows", I was stunned that I was indeed familiar with the song, but had no idea that it was a Henley composition and originally sung by him! A local investment company has been using a part of the song for an advertisement for at least a year, sung in a very laid back manner by an unknown (at least to me) singer. I've always liked it and sang along, so imagine my surprise when I heard Don singing the first few lines of the song on my album last night! :shock: :D

I certainly hope the investment company secured the proper permission to use this song, or they will be hearing from Don's lawyers! :twisted:

Brooke
03-05-2008, 03:58 PM
I have to agree with Maleah, too, about HOTM. It's just such a beautiful message and so real and heartfelt.

As for EOTI, I love the song. But Bruce Hornsby's piano dominates it before I get to hear Don's beautiful voice. I like the other 3 songs better. Thanks so much for not making it immune yet! :wink:

I cast my vote for The End of the Innocence.

Freypower
03-05-2008, 06:22 PM

I am proud to announce that I've managed to get my hands on a copy of "Actual Miles", thanks to a very kind friend, and it's an excellent album. I was very pleased to be able to hear the original studio recordings of "Dirty Laundry" and "All She Wants To Do Is Dance" for the first time, since I've grown to love the F1 versions of these songs. I knew I was recovering from my cold when I began dancing all around my bedroom to both songs! :D

MF, I am sorry to disillusion you but Everybody Knows was written and sung by Leonard Cohen. His voice is deeper than Don's and that is probably the version you heard.

In answer to DF's comment, surely permission to use the song would have to come from Leonard Cohen, not Don.

Glennsallnighter
03-05-2008, 07:14 PM
This is very tough as I would have initially done for DL but as it is immune I can't. Now any of the 3 remaining do not deserve to go. I actually LOVE Bruce Hornsby's piano playing, so I'm NOT going to vote for EOTI!

With reluctance and after a lot of soul searching I cast my vote for

Heart of the Matter

Sorry MF! :(

DonFan
03-05-2008, 08:02 PM
In answer to DF's comment, surely permission to use the song would have to come from Leonard Cohen, not Don.

You are absolutely right, FP. I was thinking of You Don't Know Me At All when I answered that post. :blush:

03-06-2008, 04:14 PM
I would normally vote for The End of the Innocence this time. However, since it looks like it is going to be eliminated without my vote, I will once again vote strategically.

Glennsallnighter
03-06-2008, 08:40 PM
I see we are thinking the same way Dreamer :wink:

sodascouts
03-06-2008, 09:01 PM
The tenth song to be eliminated from Actual Miles Survivor is The End of the Innocence. “The End of the Innocence,” let me a take a long last look before we say goodbye. OK, done. Now, please leave immediately. The remaining songs may return to camp.

Votes
The End of the Innocence – 7
The Heart of the Matter – 3
The Boys of Summer – 1

Vote Breakdown
The End of the Innocence – rcknalwys
The End of the Innocence – katherine5832
The End of the Innocence – Maleah
The End of the Innocence – SodaScouts
The End of the Innocence – EasyFeeling
The End of the Innocence – Mrs. Frey
The End of the Innocence – Brooke
The Heart of the Matter – Freypower
The Heart of the Matter – Glennsallnighter
The Heart of the Matter – Ive always been a dreamer
The Boys of Summer – DonFan

Songs eliminated:
The Garden of Allah 2/17
Sunset Grill 2/19
Everybody Knows – 2/25
New York Minute – 3/2
The Last Worthless Evening – 3/4
The End of the Innocence – 3/6

Songs remaining:
Dirty Laundry
The Boys of Summer
The Heart of the Matter

There will be no more immunity questions. Voting for Round 11 begins now.

DonFan
03-06-2008, 11:23 PM
:weep:
I'm so sad---I LOVED End of the Innocence! It is a brilliant piece of songwriting, and Don's vocals are also perfect on it. I get such an aching, wistful feeling whenever I hear it.

I felt that, in many ways, it mirrored my own life, because I was so young and innocent when I got married the first time--19! :shock: But I loved him and I thought everything would be perfect. Then when we both grew up, in different ways, everything fell apart. My "happily ever after failed." I moved away, to a bigger city, to a new life--and I married again, happily---but still, when I hear:

Who knows how long this will last
Now we've come so far, so fast
But somewhere back there in the dust
That same small town in each of us...

It makes me remember when I was young and innocent too.

Maleah
03-07-2008, 12:12 AM
I cast my vote for Dirty Laundry

As much as I love it and how much it means to me..............the other two are just perfection and can't be beat, imo.

katherine5832
03-07-2008, 12:15 AM
I cast my vote for Dirty Laundry

As much as I love it and how much it means to me..............the other two are just perfection and can't be beat, imo.

Yeah, what she said. :D I vote for Dirty Laundry too.

Mrs Frey
03-07-2008, 06:20 AM

MF, I am sorry to disillusion you but Everybody Knows was written and sung by Leonard Cohen. His voice is deeper than Don's and that is probably the version you heard.

No worries, FP! Thanks for setting me straight on that one. I'm still glad that Don sings it, though. :D

Mrs Frey
03-07-2008, 06:25 AM
:weep:
I'm so sad---I LOVED End of the Innocence! It is a brilliant piece of songwriting, and Don's vocals are also perfect on it. I get such an aching, wistful feeling whenever I hear it.

I felt that, in many ways, it mirrored my own life, because I was so young and innocent when I got married the first time--19! :shock: But I loved him and I thought everything would be perfect. Then when we both grew up, in different ways, everything fell apart. My "happily ever after failed." I moved away, to a bigger city, to a new life--and I married again, happily---but still, when I hear:

Who knows how long this will last
Now we've come so far, so fast
But somewhere back there in the dust
That same small town in each of us...

It makes me remember when I was young and innocent too.

Awww, DF... :( Your post really touched my heart. I'm sorry for the pain you had to endure. I'm just glad everything worked out well for you the second time around.

My next vote is, regrettably, for "Dirty Laundry". :(

DonFan
03-07-2008, 10:25 AM
Thanks Mrs. F. I always look forward to reading what you write--you have such positive responses to everyone's posts. You always brighten up my day! :D

And regrettably, along with you, I vote for Dirty Laundry too.

Maleah
03-07-2008, 10:33 AM
Thanks Mrs. F. I always look forward to reading what you write--you have such positive responses to everyone's posts. You always brighten up my day! :D

Here here! I agree :D You're a sweetheart Mrs. F! And DF.....like Mrs. F, I'm sorry for all you had to go through! But you're such a beautiful person through it all! I listened to EOTI after I read your post and I teared up just thinking about it!

I'm trying to think about my next vote already and it's going to be a toughy! Assuming of course that DL goes out this time. lol

Brooke
03-07-2008, 10:52 AM
Awwww, DF, you remind me of myself! What a sweet/bittersweet story. I got married very young, too, ALMOST 18! But Take It Easy is the song that takes me back to those days and that's why it's my very favorite Eagles song. :D

I love all of the remaining (and EOTI) and it's really hard to choose which one should go, but if we must, we must.

My vote goes for Dirty Laundry.

sodascouts
03-07-2008, 01:23 PM
Your story touched me too, DF. Thank God it all worked out in the end... and all your experiences, bad and good, led up to what you have now.

I see Dirty Laundry is going down as it should. I figured I should vote strategically... but I still haven't decided whether I want BOS or HOTM to win! So...

DonFan
03-07-2008, 02:12 PM
Awwww, thanks for ALL your sweet responses! We have the very BEST fan community here! :hug:

I didn't really mean to share quite so much in that post :blush: but Don's songs affect me that way.
His songs always seem to (warning---pun alert) get right to the heart of the matter!

Glennsallnighter
03-07-2008, 05:36 PM
DF Thank you for sharing your life story with us and I am so glad that you have found happiness in your current marriage and family, as well as being a very talented professional. I hope you continue to enjoy a great life.

Onto Business as usual. After a bit of soul searching I have decided to cast my vote for 'Heart of The Matter'

Freypower
03-07-2008, 05:46 PM
I endorse everyone's sentiments, DF. That part of the song is my favourite. I'm sad it has been eliminated because it is a superb song.

I cast my vote for Dirty Laundry. Seems a shame though. I'm dreading the Frey Solo Collection Survivor.

glenneaglesfan
03-08-2008, 07:22 AM
Df, I was touched by your post, and the significance of those lines in EOTI. I'm glad things worked out second time around. EOTI is a beautiful song, and I'm sad to see both it and LWE gone. Of the last three, I'm reluctantly going to cast my vote for The Heart Of The Matter.

03-08-2008, 04:18 PM
Yeah - I'll say it again, it just doesn't seem right voting off such awesome songs, especially these last five. DF, I think a lot of us can relate to all of these songs in different ways. They all have totally different messages, but still manage to touch something deep inside of us. It looks like Dirty Laundry is going next as I suspected it would, so I will vote to protect the one that I think is the most awesome of the awesome ...

rcknalwys
03-08-2008, 04:51 PM
I love all of these last 3 so can't choose which one to vote off, so in my own version of strategy, I'm voting for BOS.

sodascouts
03-08-2008, 09:00 PM
The eleventh song to be eliminated from Actual Miles Survivor is Dirty Laundry. “Dirty Laundry,” I hate to kick you when you’re down, but please leave immediately. The remaining two songs, please step forward.

Votes
Dirty Laundry – 7
The Heart of the Matter – 3
The Boys of Summer – 1

Vote Breakdown
Dirty Laundry – Maleah
Dirty Laundry – katherine5832
Dirty Laundry – Mrs. Frey
Dirty Laundry – DonFan
Dirty Laundry – Brooke
Dirty Laundry – SodaScouts
Dirty Laundry – Freypower
The Heart of the Matter – Glennsallnighter
The Heart of the Matter – glenneaglesfan
The Heart of the Matter – Ive always been a dreamer
Boys of Summer – rcknalwys

Songs eliminated:
The Garden of Allah 2/17
Sunset Grill 2/19
Everybody Knows – 2/25
New York Minute – 3/2
The Last Worthless Evening – 3/4
The End of the Innocence – 3/6
Dirty Laundry – 3/8

Songs remaining:
The Boys of Summer
The Heart of the Matter

Alright! We’re at the last round. This round is special, so it’s done differently. We’re not going to vote for the song we want to go. We’re going to vote for the song we want to win. This is how they do it on the real show, after all. Once again...

Vote for the song you want to win.

Voting for the final round begins NOW!

sodascouts
03-08-2008, 09:23 PM
OK, this is terribly hard. I consider both these songs to be masterpieces, no exaggeration. Boys of Summer has a great melody; it's wonderfully constructed and very evocative. I love listening to it...

But I've decided to go with The Heart of the Matter. It's the one that really touches me, and I'm not the only one - Don said in "Live Inside Job" that he gets more letters about this song than any other. Why? Because it has such a deep, emotional resonance. What an important message - forgiveness, letting go of resentments and anger and the desire to hurt people who you feel have "wronged" you in some way. So many people need to hear that. That message, on top of its beautiful melody and the fact that it in some ways emblematic of the Eagles HFO reunion (despite later acrimony) makes it my choice.

HEART OF THE MATTER for the win!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DonFan
03-08-2008, 11:01 PM
That was an eloquent argument for Heart of the Matter, Soda. I agree with all your points, but in this case, I didn't really need to be persuaded.

As much as I love Boys of Summer--and believe me, I DO love it--

After careful deliberation, I vote for HEART OF THE MATTER for the win.

03-09-2008, 01:43 AM
I think this is going to be really close. Soda - you did, indeed, make a strong case for The Heart of the Matter, and either of these songs are worthy of winning this game. However, The Boys of Summer is my choice. This song is truly a masterpiece. The music is great, the way Don sings it with such a yearning in his voice is fabulous, and the lyrics are so sophisticated, intelligent, and yet poetic that it sets this song just a notch above all the others, IMHO.

I vote for THE BOYS OF SUMMER for the win!!!!

EasyFeeling
03-09-2008, 07:17 AM
Damned, I've missed another round :shock: but I'm glad to see my #1 of this album is still here... :D Not that I don't love BOS but when I watched HFO back then I immediately fell in love with HOTM. This song is in my top 3 of all Eagles and solo songs. :D

I vote for Heart Of The Matter.

Maleah
03-09-2008, 01:35 PM
Wow soda, I couldn't have said it better myself! I truly love both songs, but Heart of the Matter means so much to me. The first time I heard it was when Don sang it on storytellers and even though it was telling a story about a lost love and learning to forgive them, it hit me hard when Don got to the first chorus. "Im learning to live without you now, but I miss you sometimes. The more I know, the less I understand. All the things I thought knew, I'm learning again." That is exactly how I feel over losing my Mom....it's been 12 long years but I feel like I'm still learning to live without her. Don put those words into song so beautifully! I also love the second verse. It's so poetic and couldn't be more appropriate these days..."...these times are so uncertain...there's a yearning undefined...and people filled with rage...we all need a little tenderness, how can love survive in such a graceless age." He couldn't have written a song that could stand the test of time any better than that. Just like Dirty Laundry, it's even more appropriate today than the day he first wrote it. Therefore.............

I cast my vote for Heart of the Matter for the win!

sorry for the novel you have to get through to know why I cast my vote that way :lol: What can I say.....DF made me tear up so much that she must have inspired me. :)

EasyFeeling
03-09-2008, 02:09 PM
Usually I don't pay so much attention to the lyrics of a song because I mostly have to concentrate that I understand all words. :blush: But not in this case, so I love the melody as well as the lyrics.

Maleah
03-09-2008, 02:16 PM
I totally agree EF........melody is always important!

katherine5832
03-09-2008, 02:46 PM
Both songs truly deserve to be in these top two positions and they are the ones I expected to be left standing when we first started.

The Heart of the Matter is a beautiful song that virtually anyone can relate to. Who can argue with that kind of sentiment? The lyrics are some of the best ever written by Don either as an Eagle or solo. It's definitely in my top 5 of favorite DH songs - maybe tied for number two with LWE.

However, The Boys of Summer will always be my favorite Henley song and one of my favorite songs of all time. I loved Dirty Laundry when it first came out, but it didn't really make me sit up and take notice of Don as a solo artist. When BOS came out, though, I was a Don fan for life. I know "a little voice inside my head said 'don't look back, you can never look back'", but this song instantly transports me to high school from the moment I hear the cymbals in the first few seconds of the song. It's not that I yearn to relive those days, but my high school days were not the angst-ridden times that so many other people experienced. My friends and I had a blast during high school and music played a huge part in our good times. Remember when MTV actually played videos?? It was a good day when we caught the BOS video in the rotation (bonus if we caught it more than once!). I know we're voting on the song itself, but it's hard to separate the song from that great video. And, not only are the song and video great, but how awesome are the Eagles when they perform this song live? I wouldn't care if the Eagles took out every other one of Don's solo songs from their set list, but they shouldn't touch this one. They rock on this song and it certainly is a crowd pleaser. And, while I really think Don could sing anything and make it sound sexy, I'm not sure if there are many moments that are sexier than "I never will forget those nights. I wonder if it was a dream. Remember how you made me crazy? Remember how I made you scream?" :fainted:

So, while HOTM is a wonderfully poignant song and worthy of being in the top two, I have to vote for The Boys of Summer for the win.

sodascouts
03-09-2008, 04:27 PM
Maleah, thanks for sharing that. Part of the song's power is its universal message even to those who haven't had a lost love, but have some other type of loss to deal with.

Glennsallnighter
03-09-2008, 05:42 PM
'Heart of the Matter' is indeed a lovely song with poignant lyrics and beautiful music, but my Favourite Don Henley solo song always has been and always will be 'Boys of Summer', So with that in mind I vote for

BOYS OF SUMMER

For the win.

glenneaglesfan
03-09-2008, 05:59 PM
Oh my goodness, all of you are putting good cases forward for both of these songs, but for me personally, Boys of Summer wins hands down. It was the early eighties - I'd just bought Eagles Live and probably thought them the best band on earth, and yet I couldn't find anything new. Then along came BOS, and DJs saying this was Don Henley, (formerly) of the Eagles. This was the track I recorded off the radio on to a cassette tape (along with Owner Of A Lonely Heart by Yes :blush: ). I LOVE this when they play it live, and my older son voted it as one of his favourite tracks.

I cast my vote for the Boys Of Summer

Brooke
03-09-2008, 06:04 PM
OK, this is terribly hard. I consider both these songs to be masterpieces, no exaggeration. Boys of Summer has a great melody; it's wonderfully constructed and very evocative. I love listening to it...

But I've decided to go with The Heart of the Matter. It's the one that really touches me, and I'm not the only one - Don said in "Live Inside Job" that he gets more letters about this song than any other. Why? Because it has such a deep, emotional resonance. What an important message - forgiveness, letting go of resentments and anger and the desire to hurt people who you feel have "wronged" you in some way. So many people need to hear that. That message, on top of its beautiful melody and the fact that it in some ways emblematic of the Eagles HFO reunion (despite later acrimony) makes it my choice.

I came in today to vote for BOS, but after reading these comments (and yours, Maleah), my mind is changed! I still love BOS and someday want to drive the Pacific Coast highway in a convertible with it blasting....baby!

When I bought Actual Miles, HOTM really stood out for me. I hadn't heard it before! Those lyrics were just amazing and hit me hard. When I met Don a few years ago, I told him that it was my favorite song and he told me a lot of people told him that. Right now I'm going through a mess with my side of my family and the words just fit the whole situation. I wish they could hear it and really, really listen to what is said there. It's so true.

I vote for Heart of the Matter!

Glennsallnighter
03-09-2008, 07:09 PM
Thats a very heartfelt post Brooke! I hope things work out well with your family.

Freypower
03-09-2008, 08:03 PM
These are very eloquent posts and I agree with everything that has been said about both songs.

I was lucky enough to see HOTM performed during the HFO period. I think it is a shame that the 'forgiveness' theme that seemed so important at the time of the reunion was so quickly forgotten by people who extolled its virtues at the time (and I do not mean Don or Glenn).

I have to vote for The Boys Of Summer to win because.... it's just more fun, that's all. I also think it's a superior record musically. There is more light and shade.

DonFan
03-09-2008, 08:21 PM
I loved the outpouring of different emotions expressed in the moving posts that have been written about Don's last three songs. The man truly knows how to write music and lyrics that touch deep chords within us all, and then to sing those songs with that unbelievably expressive voice.... *sigh*

katherine5832
03-09-2008, 09:16 PM
Wow! This is definitely going to be a close one. Do we have any super delegates that will be able to make the final decision? :wink: Sorry...I've been spending way too much time watching the Clinton-Obama drama unfold here in the U.S.! At least here on EOC we know how to keep our "campaigns" for our favorites civil! No matter what the outcome, this has been a lot of fun reading everyone's comments about not just our favorites, but about all of the songs on the album. I guess one thing we can agree on is that Don has a great body.....of work. :twisted:

sodascouts
03-09-2008, 09:18 PM
Well, unlike that contest, it's conceivable for us to have a tie for the winner! I do agree with your body... of work comment. ;)

Edited to add: Actually it's not gonna be a tie since HOTM received more prior votes - oops! :blush: But we'll see if HOTM can pull it out by getting more votes!

Glennsallnighter
03-10-2008, 04:37 AM
Oh I too agree with you Katherine. We can certainly have fun while respecting everyone's own opinion and ideas even if they are not our own. And any teasing is just that and is taken in the spirit of fun.

This has been a very good survivor. I had no idea I'd enjoy a 'Don' Survivor so much.

Roll On GLENN :heart:

Mrs Frey
03-10-2008, 06:37 AM

And regrettably, along with you, I vote for Dirty Laundry too.

WOW, DF! How lovely! Thank you so much! :hug: I nearly cried when I read that. I enjoy reading your posts too, along with everyone else's. This is such a positive Board, and no matter what I'm going through (and I'm going through a lot of intense emotions right now - highs and lows), reading the comments here always help to alleviate my pain. So thank you everybody. :grouphug:

Mrs Frey
03-10-2008, 06:40 AM

Here here! I agree :D You're a sweetheart Mrs. F! And DF.....like Mrs. F, I'm sorry for all you had to go through! But you're such a beautiful person through it all! I listened to EOTI after I read your post and I teared up just thinking about it!

I'm trying to think about my next vote already and it's going to be a toughy! Assuming of course that DL goes out this time. lol

Awww, Maleah, thank you! :hug: You too are a sweetheart. How lovely to be greeted by such warm posts after a weekend away from The Border. You girls are fantastic.

Mrs Frey
03-10-2008, 06:42 AM
I endorse everyone's sentiments, DF. That part of the song is my favourite. I'm sad it has been eliminated because it is a superb song.

I cast my vote for Dirty Laundry. Seems a shame though. I'm dreading the Frey Solo Collection Survivor.

Oh my goodness, FP - I HEAR you, girl! :(

Mrs Frey
03-10-2008, 06:56 AM
Wow soda, I couldn't have said it better myself! I truly love both songs, but Heart of the Matter means so much to me. The first time I heard it was when Don sang it on storytellers and even though it was telling a story about a lost love and learning to forgive them, it hit me hard when Don got to the first chorus. "Im learning to live without you now, but I miss you sometimes. The more I know, the less I understand. All the things I thought knew, I'm learning again." That is exactly how I feel over losing my Mom....it's been 12 long years but I feel like I'm still learning to live without her. Don put those words into song so beautifully! I also love the second verse. It's so poetic and couldn't be more appropriate these days..."...these times are so uncertain...there's a yearning undefined...and people filled with rage...we all need a little tenderness, how can love survive in such a graceless age." He couldn't have written a song that could stand the test of time any better than that. Just like Dirty Laundry, it's even more appropriate today than the day he first wrote it. Therefore.............

I cast my vote for Heart of the Matter for the win!

sorry for the novel you have to get through to know why I cast my vote that way :lol: What can I say.....DF made me tear up so much that she must have inspired me. :)

Maleah, your post nearly brought me to tears. I'm so sorry for your pain - I know exactly how you feel. I think you and I are equally emotional - and we're both musicians! I think musicians are known for their emotions - just look at Henley and Frey! Emotions certainly make for great songwriting, at least in their case.

I've missed so much over the weekend, and have enjoyed so much catching up with all your great posts. I love reading the reasons why songs are important to people. Sometimes knowing what touches someone else about a song that never really meant that much to me before, changes my feelings towards the song.

On to my vote. As much as I love "Boys Of Summer" (and I'd LOVE to see the boys perform this live in London), my vote MUST go to "The Heart Of The Matter".

This song touched me immediately upon seeing HFO for the first time, and each time thereafter. The lyrics are deeply emotional and moving, and I've been moved to tears more than once listening to it. My mind whirls, thinking of all the events in my life that are relevant to the song's lyrics, and identifying completely with what is being sung. Then there is Don's tender vocal. What a beautiful piece of music. I must point out, though, that I prefer the HFO version to the original. The HFO arrangement seems to suit the song far more, and Don's delivery is even more touching, all capped by the wonderful Eagles harmonies supporting it.

The lyrics that evoke the biggest emotions in me are the following:

There are people in your life
Who've come and gone
They let you down
You know they hurt your pride
You better put it all behind you, baby
'Cause life goes on
You keep carrying that anger
It will eat you up inside, baby

I can hear Don's intensity in my head, and see the pain in his face as he sings it. Powerful.

Mrs Frey
03-10-2008, 07:04 AM

I came in today to vote for BOS, but after reading these comments (and yours, Maleah), my mind is changed! I still love BOS and someday want to drive the Pacific Coast highway in a convertible with it blasting....baby!

When I bought Actual Miles, HOTM really stood out for me. I hadn't heard it before! Those lyrics were just amazing and hit me hard. When I met Don a few years ago, I told him that it was my favorite song and he told me a lot of people told him that. Right now I'm going through a mess with my side of my family and the words just fit the whole situation. I wish they could hear it and really, really listen to what is said there. It's so true.

I vote for Heart of the Matter!

I'm sorry for your troubles, Brooke. :( I hope you are able to see this difficult time through, and that your family will realise how short life is and how they need to treasure every moment!

Mrs Frey
03-10-2008, 07:07 AM
Wow! This is definitely going to be a close one. Do we have any super delegates that will be able to make the final decision? :wink: Sorry...I've been spending way too much time watching the Clinton-Obama drama unfold here in the U.S.! At least here on EOC we know how to keep our "campaigns" for our favorites civil! No matter what the outcome, this has been a lot of fun reading everyone's comments about not just our favorites, but about all of the songs on the album. I guess one thing we can agree on is that Don has a great body.....of work. :twisted:

:) Ooh, you are a naughty girl, Katherine. :wink: I do agree with you, though - on BOTH counts! :nod:

rcknalwys
03-10-2008, 01:46 PM
So many moving comments, you have all brought so much emotion to this final round. Everyone has made such great points when making their choices. My own choice is emotionally based too, HOM has always hit me right in the heart. I had a friend who was closerthanthis that committed suicide and HOM expressed so many of the feelings I was experiencing:

"There are people in your life
Who've come and gone
They let you down
You know they hurt your pride
You better put it all behind you, baby
'Cause life goes on
You keep carrying that anger
It will eat you up inside, baby"

We had a song that was "our song" called Friends & Lovers back in the day and I was devastated when he died. I thought I'd never get through all the grief and pain and loss. I was angry at him for leaving me. When I heard the lyrics to HOM, it struck a chord deep down inside me. Today, when I hear these words, my heart weeps, but I've found a forgiveness that I didn't think I could.

I can see why so many people have taken this song to heart, and why Don has received so much interest in HOM. This song resonates deeply in my heart and soul.

I do love BOS, it's fun to sing and dance to and being born and raised in California, it seems to epitomize life there. But.....

I vote for Heart Of The Matter

sodascouts
03-10-2008, 08:18 PM
Well, it came right down to it folks, but in the end, the winner of Actual Miles Survivor is....

THE HEART OF THE MATTER!

Votes
The Heart of the Matter - 6
The Boys of Summer – 5

Vote Breakdown
Heart of the Matter – SodaScouts
Heart of the Matter – DonFan
Heart of the Matter – EasyFeeling
Heart of the Matter – Maleah
Heart of the Matter – Brooke
Heart of the Matter - rcknalwys
Boys of Summer – Ive always been a dreamer
Boys of Summer – katherine5832
Boys of Summer – Glennsallnighter
Boys of Summer – glenneaglesfan
Boys of Summer – Freypower

Songs Eliminated:
The Garden of Allah - 2/17
Sunset Grill - 2/19
Everybody Knows 2/25
You Don't Know Me at All 2/27
I Will Not Go Quietly 2/29
New York Minute 3/2
The End of the Innocence 3/6
Dirty Laundry 3/8
The Boys of Summer 3/10

Congrats, THE HEART OF THE MATTER!

To celebrate,

Listen to the Don performing The Heart of the Matter:

Walden Benefit 1990
http://www.donhenleyonline.com/multimedia/MP3/HOTMWalden90.mp3

Watch the Eagles doing it:

Hell Freezes Over
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pU1g37d376M

Hope you enjoyed the game. Thanks for playing, everybody!

katherine5832
03-10-2008, 10:55 PM
Well, if BOS was going to lose, I'm glad it lost to HOTM. Thanks, Soda, for your work in putting this together.

Congrats to HOTM!

03-10-2008, 11:03 PM
Wow ladies! Reading some of your posts put a big lump in my throat. It sometimes amazes me how powerful music can be. Congrats to The Heart of the Matter. Even though it was not my first choice, it is definitely a worthy winner. It is a very touching, moving, and beautiful song.

Mrs Frey
03-11-2008, 02:44 AM
Well, it came right down to it folks, but in the end, the winner of Actual Miles Survivor is....

THE HEART OF THE MATTER!

Votes
The Boys of Summer – 5

Vote Breakdown

Er... Soda, I'm sorry to have to point this out :oops:, but "Heart Of The Matter" in fact got 7 votes, not 6 - you forgot about my vote! :wink:

No matter - congratulations to "Heart Of The Matter"! :yay:

EasyFeeling
03-11-2008, 06:36 AM
Congratulatins to Heart Of The Matter! :yay: Thanks for posting the song and the link, Soda. :D

DonFan
03-11-2008, 09:08 AM
CONGRATULATIONS, HEART OF THE MATTER! :heart: :heart:

Brooke
03-11-2008, 10:11 AM
Such a beautiful song! :yay:

glenneaglesfan
03-11-2008, 03:08 PM
Congratulations to Heart Of The Matter.
It's a beautiful song, and I've been moved to read your stories about its association. I particularly love the HFO version.

Thanks for the beautiful screencap, FP.

Glennsallnighter
03-11-2008, 04:49 PM
Well congratulations to HOTM. It certainly is a beautiful song with many deep meanings and associations for so many people here that I am not surprised that it was the overall winner.

rcknalwys
03-12-2008, 12:30 PM
Congratulations to HOM! It was a close one but that only made it all the more fun. Thanks for everyone's input and sharing of their stories. What a great bunch of people we have here sharing the love. A big thanks for the game, also. I'm already looking forward to the next one.

sodascouts
03-12-2008, 02:54 PM

THE HEART OF THE MATTER!

Votes
The Boys of Summer – 5

Vote Breakdown

Er... Soda, I'm sorry to have to point this out :oops:, but "Heart Of The Matter" in fact got 7 votes, not 6 - you forgot about my vote! :wink:

No matter - congratulations to "Heart Of The Matter"! :yay:

Terribly sorry! That's the reason why I put the names by the votes - so that everyone can double check that their particular vote was counted. I know what happened with your vote. I recorded it on my computer in Indiana, but when I got to Texas, it got lost in translation. Again, my apologies. Luckily it didn't affect the outcome, or that would have been rather awkward!

Perfect Little Sister
03-12-2008, 03:23 PM
A lovely song, much deserving of the win. I just can't play these games. It feels like I'm choosing which of my children I like better. lol
(tell Mommy and Daddy Scouts hello from me)

Mrs Frey
03-13-2008, 03:02 AM
It's fine, Soda! No harm done, my dear! Thanks for clearing that up for me, though.

PLS: LOL! You are so funny!

sodascouts
03-13-2008, 06:12 PM
(tell Mommy and Daddy Scouts hello from me)

No sweat! They still ask about you and how you're doing.