PDA

View Full Version : Eagles to Hard Rock & Roll

DonFan
02-29-2008, 11:03 AM
From Feb 28, 2008 USA Today:

Music
Fans of classic rock may want to plan a trip this June to Myrtle Beach, S.C. That's where and when Hard Rock Park — more than 150 acres of theme park featuring everything from roller coasters and children's play areas to restaurants and a live music amphitheatre — will open its doors.

The "Grand Opening Extravaganza" kicks off June 2 with a ceremony at the iron-gated entrance and a concert by the Eagles. "The park is all about the power and influence of rock music," says Steven Goodwin, its CEO. "Hearing the Eagles playing live, drifting across the entire park, is going to be a great way of saying 'We've arrived.' "

Festivities will include a celebrity golf tournament. Among its participants will be members of the Moody Blues, who are scheduled to perform live on June 3 to commemorate the unveiling of a ride they inspired, Nights in White Satin — The Trip. —Elysa Gardner
-------------------------------------

I am a HUGE Hard Rock fan--I have collected Hard Rock shirts from across the world--and it goes without saying that I am a HUGE Eagles fan.

This is the perfect family vacation. I AM SO THERE!

DonFan
02-29-2008, 11:23 AM
More info from SCNOW.com:

Officials at Hard Rock Park have announced details of its Grand Opening Celebration scheduled for June 2.
According to a news release, the festivities will begin with a grand opening ceremony at the front entrance to the theme park, and will feature a concert performance by the Hall of Fame group The Eagles.

The following day, the legendary British rock band, The Moody Blues, will commemorate the official opening of the park’s psychedelic, Moody Blues-inspired dark ride, Nights in White Satin - The Trip, followed by live performance.

“This celebration will be one for the record books,” said Steven Goodwin, CEO of Hard Rock Park. “Our opening lineup screams that the world’s first rock ‘n’ roll theme park has arrived. Families will be transformed from Regular Joes to Rock Stars, leading others to say ‘they must’ve been to Hard Rock Park.’”

In addition to the events at the park, hard Rock will co-sponsor a celebrity golf tournament hosted by PGA professional Peter Jacobsen. “Peter Jacobsen Sports is proud to be partnering with Hard Rock. This combination of sports, stars and rock ‘n’ roll is sure to make (this) first-class golf tournament one of our best tournaments yet,” said Jacobsen. The Celebrity Golf Tournament will be held at Grande Dunes Golf Resort on June 2. Participants will include rock ‘n’ roll legends, such as The Moody Blues, celebrities and PGA professionals. Among the PGA TOUR pros playing will be Jacobsen, as well as LPGA star Paula Creamer. Jacobsen will also host a “Peter Jacobsen and Friends Golf Clinic”.

"We're proud and honored to help kick off Hard Rock Park’s grand opening," said Sean Dee, Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer for Hard Rock International. "Hard Rock Park looks forward to, not only being part of the future of South Carolina tourism industry, but also to establishing itself as a national premier rock ‘n’ roll entertainment destination."

Hard Rock Park is the first new major theme park to be built in the U.S. in nearly a decade. The park is approximately 50-acres boasting more than 50 rides and attractions, including roller coasters, live shows, restaurants, cafes and retail stores, and a multi-purpose amphitheatre.

Ticket packages for the Grand Opening Extravaganza will go on sale at 11 a.m. March 17 at Hard Rock Park’s All Access Entry Plaza and online at www.hardrockpark.com.
-------------------------------------------------

The guys can sing, their kids can ride the rides, Glenn can golf--it's all good. Works for me too--our two teenagers love music, theme parks & rollercoasters.

I just have one question: I wonder how much $$$$ all this will be? :shock: :shock:

sodascouts
02-29-2008, 12:47 PM
Very cool!

But I'm guessing these tickets will be even more expensive, because they'll include the park admission on top of the regular price. I hope I'm wrong though!

glenneaglesfan
02-29-2008, 01:31 PM
Df, that sounds so exciting. I do hope it works out for you. I am also a hard Rock fan, having experienced the Orlando one when we visited Florida three years ago. Since then I've been to Dublin and Cardiff, and hope to get to the London one in a couple of weeks time.

Hubby is a massive fan of Nights In White Satin - I wish I could persuade him.

DonFan
02-29-2008, 03:27 PM
But I'm guessing these tickets will be even more expensive, because they'll include the park admission on top of the regular price. I hope I'm wrong though!

I'm sure they will be expensive, but it is all relative at this point compared to what I shelled out for my 4-Star VIP ticket! :fainting:

tbs fanatic
02-29-2008, 03:38 PM
That sounds great but I think I'm going to save my $'s for a regular Eagles concert. I doubt they will do a full blown Eagles concert at the Park - do you think? Nope I'm going to resist and wait for an arena concert (praying, praying they play one close by :pray: ).

Glennsallnighter
02-29-2008, 05:41 PM
Its out of the question for us particularly as we've put all our eggs in the London basket.

Unless......our state lottery is up to 11m on Saturday night :wink: . I've already bought tickets for that!

If you do manage to go DF I hope you enjoy it.

GEF I was in Hard Rock in Boston in 1989. I loved it. Must try Dublin :blush:

Freypower
02-29-2008, 06:19 PM
I'm a huge Hard Rock Cafe fan. Now this is sad but I've been to the following HRCs:

Sydney
Melbourne
Bangkok
Singapore
Hong Kong
London
Paris
New York
New Orleans (my favourite)
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Honolulu

I made my mother go to the Berlin & Boston HRCs to get me T shirts.

Presumably Glenn will play in the celebrity golf tournament. The Nights In White Satin thing sounds fun - I love the Moody Blues too.

Glennsallnighter
02-29-2008, 06:22 PM
I'm a huge Hard Rock Cafe fan. Now this is sad but I've been to the following HRCs:

Sydney
Melbourne
Bangkok
Singapore
Hong Kong
London
Paris
New York
New Orleans (my favourite)
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Honolulu

I made my mother go to the Berlin & Boston HRCs to get me T shirts.

Presumably Glenn will play in the celebrity golf tournament. The Nights In White Satin thing sounds fun - I love the Moody Blues too.

Lets make ourselves a promise that we'll meet in HRC Dublin some time FP, eh?

sodascouts
02-29-2008, 06:39 PM
When I was a teen, I used to collect HRC T-shirts, too. At the time, my parents had just moved to Saudi Arabia, so we travelled a lot. My sister and I wanted them from every city we visited. I actually lost track of how many we have!

glenneaglesfan
03-01-2008, 05:37 PM
My son has an Orlando t-shirt - does that count?

GA & MF, we should consider a meet up at the Hard Rock London, but I realise we'll all be pressed for time.

Glennsallnighter
03-02-2008, 06:08 AM

GA & MF, we should consider a meet up at the Hard Rock London, but I realise we'll all be pressed for time.

I'd love to GEF, but I'll have the others to consider as well! We'll see.

tbs fanatic
03-03-2008, 12:19 PM
Its out of the question for us particularly as we've put all our eggs in the London basket.

Unless......our state lottery is up to 11m on Saturday night :wink: . I've already bought tickets for that!

If you do manage to go DF I hope you enjoy it.

GEF I was in Hard Rock in Boston in 1989. I loved it. Must try Dublin :blush:

WOW! I haven't even been to one :weep:

DonFan
03-03-2008, 12:52 PM
Hard Rock Cafes are really fun places. Whenever I travel I always try to visit if there is one nearby. The food is good and the t-shirts are cool--each cafe has a different design, and they change them every year. It is fun to look at the memorabilia inside, and of course I always look for Eagles stuff. I have seen signed guitars by Joe Walsh in HRC's in New York and St. Louis, and a guitar signed by Don at the HRC in Destin Fl. Plus, I bought one of Don's "Signature Series" Hard Rock t-shirts, where the proceeds were designated for Walden Woods.

I have personally visited and bought t-shirts from the cafes in New Orleans, Orlando, Destin, Nashville, Atlanta, New York, Washington D.C., St. Louis, Memphis, Gatlinburg, and San Francisco, and friends have brought me back t-shirts from Los Angeles, Lake Tahoe, Houston, London, Honolulu, Bangkok, Singapore, Bejiing, Rome, and the Philippines.

And I can't wait to see the design on the shirt from the new Hard Rock Park! I hope they have one with the Eagles on it to commemorate the occasion.

sodascouts
03-03-2008, 01:17 PM
Plus, I bought one of Don's "Signature Series" Hard Rock t-shirts, where the proceeds were designated for Walden Woods.

Ooh, I didn't know there was a Henley Hard Rock shirt! How cool! If possible, could you take a photo of it and upload it? I'd love to see it!

And I can't wait to see the design on the shirt from the new Hard Rock Park! I hope they have one with the Eagles on it to commemorate the occasion.

That would be very cool indeed. You'd HAVE to get one!

DonFan
03-03-2008, 02:49 PM
I'll be glad to post a pic of Don's Hard Rock shirt.

BTW, hopefully I will be getting a souvenir tee shirt with my ticket to the grand opening of the Hard Rock Park. Here's some more info about the event:
----------------------

Tickets for the Extravaganza are $250. Tickets include park admission for June 2 and 3, admission to both The Eagles and The Moody Blues concerts, admission to the celebrity golf tournament, free parking, a food and beverage package, a souvenir package.

----------------------
Regular park admission is $50 a day, so I get two days admission, some food and drinks, souvenirs of some sort, the chance to follow the golfers around, AND two concerts for $250. That's not bad!

sodascouts
03-03-2008, 03:43 PM
Wow! That sounds like a great deal!

rcknalwys
03-04-2008, 09:45 AM
Wow, how did you find out the cost so fast DonFan? This sounds like something I definitely want to go to...and could take the kids. I wonder if the concerts will be full length or just teasers?

DonFan
03-04-2008, 10:12 AM
I emailed the contact on the park's website.
---------------------------------------
This is from MyrtleBeachOnline:

The Eagles will play June 2, and The Moody Blues will play June 3 after christening a ride set to the band's hit song "Nights in White Satin." Both bands are set to go on stage at the park's amphitheater at 9 p.m., a representative said.

The park, which bills itself the world's first rock 'n' roll theme park, has been promising big-name bands to celebrate its inaugural year. Hard Rock Park will be the first major theme park in an area long known for its beaches and golf courses.

The regular park ticket, which costs $50, will not double as a ticket for the concerts. On the day of the Eagles concert, the park will close at 6 p.m. On the day of The Moody Blues concert, the park will be open until its usual time at 10 p.m. That means the park will still be open while The Moody Blues are on stage, so park-goers can listen - from afar. The live amphitheater stage area will be blocked off for ticketed people only," he said. "If you're in the park, obviously, you're going to hear the concert."

The park is scheduled to open to a limited number of people on April 15, with an official opening May 9. The grand opening celebration will be June 2 and 3.

She said the park was excited to land the Eagles. "They're a legendary rock band," she said. "They are making a new comeback with a brand new album. The Eagles are spread across genres and generations. We always have the ability to go after a large range of bands. ... We hope to attract the new and upcoming bands in the future."
-----------------------------------------

I was trying to determine if the park would indeed be open the day of the Eagles concert, so my family can ride the rides during the day before the concert. From this, it looks like they are closing the park and then reopening it just for the Eagles, but the park will be open during the Moody Blues.

rcknalwys
03-04-2008, 10:17 PM
Thanks for the information DonFan. After I posted I did a little research (duh!) myself and got pretty much the same info, except it said the park would close at 8 pm the day the Eagles play. I was holding out for a ticket to the Georgia concerts (I found a pretty reasonable one in the Orchestra section), but I feel guilty spending so much money on myself....even if it is to see the Eagles :partytime: . If we go to the Hard Rock Park, the kids will have a blast and we can all go to the concerts, so it's a win win situation for me....except for the 1,400 mile drive. Of course, many of the fans here and abroad are travelling much further so I shouldn't :weep: about such a short distance. I also read somewhere that there would be no seating available, hopefully if that's the case we can bring in our own lawn chairs. Of course, I'll probably be standing up dancing :yay: with everyone else, so it won't really matter! Any one else considering a trip to South Carolina?

Ive always been a dreamer
03-04-2008, 10:29 PM
Becky, I am considering making the trip as well, but don't know for sure at this point. I hope to decide within the next couple of weeks.

Mrs Frey
03-05-2008, 07:08 AM
Good grief, DF, I only got to this thread now - and I missed so much! :shock: Thanks for sharing that information with us. I hope everything works out for you! It all sounds very exciting!

Becky and Dreamer, I hope you'll be able to go too!

I don't know anything about the Hard Rock Cafes, and it seems I've missed out. I seem to recall that Cape Town had a Hard Rock Cafe at the V&A Waterfront some years ago, but despite being a reasonably regular visitor to the Waterfront over the years (I've performed there several times, apart from just visiting), I never got around to going there. :( It's no longer there (I have no idea why :roll:).

GEF, this is a good idea. Now that I've read this thread, I'm very keen to go. I'm sure we can make a plan. :D Thanks for the suggestion!

Molly
03-22-2008, 10:13 AM
I've been kicking around the idea of going, as well. I've been on the website for the Hard Rock Park and it looks amazing. Tickets would be pricey, but I guess you just have to take advantage of all the things that are available in the park over those 2 days.

I love rides, and if you go on the website, you can click on the different attractions and see what some of the attractions have been named. In the Cool Country area of the park, there's a rollercoaster named "Eagles Life in the Fast Lane". I haven't been on a rollercoaster in 10 years, but that is one that I would have to attempt!

sodascouts
03-22-2008, 11:12 AM
I've decided to go. It seems like great fun, and a bargain compared to other shows with all the extras you get. For $100 more than face value at other concerts, you get two day's park admission, free parking, a chance to see the Moody Blues as well, a free meal, free coffee and dessert afterwards, and more! It's like ILAA 4-star at half the price.

Be mindful, though, that there are 15 rows of VIP seats ahead of where the General Admission starts. Our dreams of showing up early to get first row are not gonna happen. I still think it's worth it, though.

rcknalwys
03-22-2008, 12:56 PM
I agree with you SodaScouts, it seems like quite a bargain to me also. Just having a hard time talking myself into spending the money. But what a great family vacation it would be. I'm not keen on rides myself, but how cool would it be to ride the LITFL ride? Since there will be at least 15 rows of VIP seating, hopefully the stage will have screens set up so that those of us waaaaay back can see the guys. Has anyone heard who will be playing in the golf tounament....like maybe Glenn?????

sodascouts
03-22-2008, 01:07 PM
I've thought about Glenn doing the tournament too - I guess it depends on the timing of it. No word yet. I think we might not know 'til we get there.

I'm a huge roller coaster fan. Before Houston's Astroworld closed, my oldest friend and I went there once a year from the time when we were in elementary school together and Mom had to drive us, to when we were grown-ups and she was the mom taking her kids along with us. I was so depressed when it closed a couple years ago - it was the end of an era!

Going on a LITFL ride should be pretty darn cool - let's hope it's a awesome roller-coaster with a lot of big hills and not one of those lame, super-short ones that throw you around roughly for 90 seconds and you're done with bruises to boot.

DonFan
03-22-2008, 09:28 PM
I'm glad you have decided to go, Soda! I'm looking forward to another grand adventure with you. :applause:

Glennsallnighter
03-22-2008, 09:30 PM
You girls have a great time. I hope you have as good a time as we did. Who knows! With the €uro so good against the dollar at the moment maybe opne or two of us might get over from Europe!
(I'm working on the other half :wink: ..... but I'm not getting very far this time :cry: )

Maleah
03-23-2008, 01:03 PM
I wanna go!!!!!!!!!! :cry: :cry: :cry: I wish they'd announce some kind of tour plan so I would know what to plan around!lol

rcknalwys
03-23-2008, 01:32 PM
I'm with you on that Maleah. I figure they will come some where near me eventually and would like to wait for that, but the Hard Rock Park thing is such a great idea and would be so much fun for the whole family that I'll probably end up going. I can just imagine the crowds! Since there is no seating except for the VIP section, it may be difficult to actually see anything, but what excitement will be in the air! I'm thinking I should go ahead and buy the tickets in case they are sold out when June gets here, wouldn't want to miss out at the last minute. I'm sure you're right about not knowing who'll play in the golf tournament SodaScouts. I would guess with all the work getting ready for the concert that night, it would be difficult for Glenn to golf that day and still be up to performing that night.

DonFan
03-23-2008, 08:08 PM
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b30/dcrisson/STA72622.jpg

Here is Don's Hard Rock shirt.

Freypower
03-23-2008, 08:18 PM
That's so nice. It should say 'Don Henley Solves Global Warming' on the back. :wink:

Glennsallnighter
03-23-2008, 08:20 PM
Very interesting and conceptualised!
That's 'Cerebral' Don!

DonFan
03-23-2008, 10:02 PM
The front of the shirt has "Hard Rock" printed over the round circle of the earth, and on top of that it says "Save the Planet."

sodascouts
03-23-2008, 10:41 PM
I love it!

rcknalwys
03-24-2008, 01:02 PM
That's so cool, thanks for sharing.

DonFan
04-10-2008, 06:01 PM
Here's the press release about the Eagles' ride at the Hard Rock Park:

Eagles Life In The Fast Lane Ride

A creepy, abandoned sawmill is home to this phantom roller coaster that careens through the Cool Country section of the Hard Rock Park. Boasting an on-board high-fidelity digital audio system, the ride features a one-of-a kind version of the Eagles famed smash hit “Life in the Fast Lane.”

Glennsallnighter
04-11-2008, 06:40 AM
Sou nds like one great ride!Hope all of you who make it there enjoy it!

glenneaglesfan
04-11-2008, 10:29 AM
Thanks for showing us Don's shirt, DF. What a great souvenir!

This theme park looks very exciting, and the opening ceremony package is a great deal. I'm very envious of you that are going. I'm not too brave on roller coasters, but how could you miss a ride on Life in the Fast Lane?!

Can't wait to hear all about it, and the golf as well! :wink:

sodascouts
04-25-2008, 09:00 PM
The Life in the Fast Lane roller coaster has received a not-so-hot review!

"We moved on to the Eagles Life in the Fast Lane rollercoaster near the Cool Country section of the park. As we moved up the ramp, people were coming back, and said there was a delay with the ride. We continued and saw a minor line of people waiting to board. The train was stuck on the lift hill, but the staff got the ride going about 10 minutes later. Flat screen TVs showed the Eagles live in concert playing 'Hotel California.' If you have to wait, you might as well listen to Don Henley while you do it. Turns out, that was the best thing about the ride for me.

As we came down the first hill, which was really a slight incline, one rider commented 'Life in the fast lane? More like life in the slow lane.' I agreed. I was hoping for thrills, but this ride definitely didn’t deliver. Maybe younger kids not tall enough to ride the Zeppelin coaster would get a kick out of this one. This also ends in a gift shop, but there were three aquarium tanks that caught my eye amid the sea of souvenirs. Two snakes and some scorpions were contained in the tanks, but they didn’t move. I couldn’t tell if they were stuffed or just really mellow."

MyrtleBeachOnline.com (http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/entertainment/story/428951.html)

glenneaglesfan
04-26-2008, 07:15 AM
Sounds like my kind of rollercoaster! Not so sure about snakes and scorpions though.

DonFan
04-26-2008, 07:46 PM
Well, the park is now in a "soft" opening so they can work out the kinks, so whatever caused the delay will surely be fixed.
And if this coaster is a little milder than some coasters, that is fine with me! Every single coaster can't be completely mind-bending--they need a few in-between rides, too.

glenneaglesfan
05-13-2008, 11:50 AM
There's a more complimentary review of the park here.

http://travel.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/travel/article3898628.ece

The Eagles get a mention!

DonFan
05-24-2008, 09:04 AM
More press on the Hard Rock Park, from the Atlanta Journal-Constitution:
------------------------------------------------------------

The Hard Rock Park is the first major amusement park to open in America in a decade. It is the first amusement park ever partially designed by rock stars. The park's three signature rides have partnerships with iconic rock bands — The Eagles, The Moody Blues and Led Zeppelin.

"Everybody has had input on their attractions," said Jon Binkowski, Hard Rock Park chief creative officer. "The bands are intimately involved with this."

Led Zeppelin-The Ride is a 3,738-foot roller coaster with a 120-foot-high loop and top speed of 65 mph. "It was so fast it made water come out of my eyes," said 15-year-old Blake Holt.

It's a 90-second ride. But band members insisted riders hear the entire 5:33 of their first U.S. hit. The entrance and exit of the roller coaster had to be redesigned to comply with the band's demand. "That was a long process," Binkowski said. "It took us about three years."

The Eagles and The Moody Blues, on the other hand, went back to the studio to record new versions of old hits specifically for the Hard Rock Park rides. Members of The Eagles "wanted to score the music to the ride," Binkowski said.

The musicians used computer animation of the roller coaster and video taken from the point of view of the riders to guide them in recording a customized version of "Life in the Fast Lane." The ride is about two minutes long, but less stomach-churning than the loops and corkscrews of Zeppelin-The Ride.

---------------------------------------------------------
Next Saturday I will be on my way there. I am SO looking forward to this!

rcknalwys
05-24-2008, 11:03 AM
I had hoped to join you there DF, but things are not working out for us. I know you'll have a great time and can't wait to hear all the details. I know you'll be busy focusing on Don, but give a shout out to Timothy for me.

Mrs Frey
05-26-2008, 02:09 AM
I'm sorry that you won't be going to see the Eagles, Becky. :( Maybe there will be another opportunity for you to go. I'll be holding thumbs for you.

DonFan
05-26-2008, 10:10 AM
I'm sorry you won't be able to join us too, Becky!
But you never know what will happen in the future--as they continue to tour, they may come back to Tennessee and you can get to see them then.

glenneaglesfan
05-26-2008, 10:57 AM
Df, this is very exciting! How I wish we could be there as well. I do hope the awful weather you have been having has blown over by then.

rckn, sorry to hear you won't be able to make it this time. I hope you do get a chance to see the guys this summer.

Glennsallnighter
05-26-2008, 05:29 PM
Oh yes, Becky! I hope you get to see them nearer your own home as well. You deserve to!

DonFan
05-30-2008, 01:08 PM
The time is finally here--my daughter and I leave tomorrow for the Hard Rock Park! :yay: :yay:

Brooke
05-30-2008, 01:33 PM
8) 8) 8) Have a great time, DF, and all of you that are going!

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, the rest of us will be anxiously awaiting reviews with bated breath! :D

sodascouts
05-30-2008, 02:30 PM
It's going to be pretty arduous for me - I head from Houston to Indiana on Saturday, then do the 14-hour drive to Myrtle Beach on Sunday. I'm crazy, I know it!

DonFan
05-30-2008, 02:49 PM
It IS crazy, but in a good way! :spin: I am really looking forward to going to the grand opening concert with you, Soda--drive carefully and see you soon!

Mrs Henley
05-30-2008, 03:28 PM
Have a lot of fun! :D I wish I had enough money to go the States..
Soda, take it easy! !!

carol7lynn
05-31-2008, 08:56 AM
Nancy,

Can't wait to hear your review. Have a rockin' good time at the Hard Rock!

Carol-Lynn
SoCalGalNow 8)

Brooke
05-31-2008, 09:58 AM
Ack! Soda, drive carefully! That's a marathon drive! Hope you have someone going with you.

And no, you're not crazy! You're devoted! :D

rcknalwys
05-31-2008, 12:16 PM
You all have a great time at the Park, I can't wait to hear about all I'm going to miss! :( but it just didn't work out for us. Here's hoping they make it to Tennessee

sodascouts
05-31-2008, 03:41 PM
Ack! Soda, drive carefully! That's a marathon drive! Hope you have someone going with you.

Nope, no one going with me, just me and my iPod chock full of Eagles music, the guys solo, James Gang, Longbranch Pennywhistle... you name it. It should last. lol

I do have AAA in case I break down along the way, and a cell phone to call for help should trouble arise!

Glennsallnighter
05-31-2008, 05:25 PM
Well safe travelling Soda, DF, DF(junior) and anyone else whos going. I know you'll all have a great time. Looking forward to the reviews as well. :D :D :D

Ive always been a dreamer
05-31-2008, 07:59 PM
I'll be leaving in the morning for Myrtle Beach with my niece and nephew. It's a good thing since I'm still suffering from PEW after Charlottesville. Becky, too bad you can't make the trip. I'm sure we are in for another treat. Well, I guess I'd better get off this board and go pack. :wink:

glenneaglesfan
06-01-2008, 04:11 PM
Best of luck, Soda, dreamer and DF. It sounds awesome, and I'm very jealous! I can pass on the rides but I long to see the Eagles again, suits or no suits. (Dublin, Dublin, Dublin....) No subliminals intended there!

Glennsallnighter
06-01-2008, 05:04 PM
Best of luck, Soda, dreamer and DF. It sounds awesome, and I'm very jealous! I can pass on the rides but I long to see the Eagles again, suits or no suits. (Dublin, Dublin, Dublin....) No subliminals intended there!

Wouldn't Dublin be just great........... :pray: :pray: :pray:

Mrs Frey
06-02-2008, 02:16 AM
I'm obviously a bit late, but I wish Soda, Dreamer and DF (and daughter) a wonderful time and a safe journey. As always, I look forward to the reviews! I'm sure the boys will be fantastic, as they always are.

Molly
09-26-2008, 07:50 AM
I heard a news report that said the owners of the Hard Rock Park have filed for bankruptcy. They've fallen waaay short of the crowds they had expected to get (30,000/day).

They're hoping to re-structure their finances and re-open sometime next year.

MikeA
09-26-2008, 07:58 AM
Probably not pertinent to this thread, but from what I've heard, the Hard Rock has been contracted to build and manage a Casino/Hotel close to Kansas City, Kansas at or close to the Woodlands (NASCAR race track close by).

tbs fanatic
09-26-2008, 09:32 AM
Yay! I believe it is close to the Woodlands. Actually I there has been a lot of fuss over what is or is not going in there for months. Maybe they have finally made a decision.

DonFan
09-26-2008, 09:46 AM
I heard a news report that said the owners of the Hard Rock Park have filed for bankruptcy. They've fallen waaay short of the crowds they had expected to get (30,000/day).

They're hoping to re-structure their finances and re-open sometime next year.

Oh no--this is terrible news. I loved the HRP, and seeing the Eagles at its grand opening was the highlight of my summer. The park clearly needed to add more rides but this was its first year and I expected it to grow each year. I have been going to Six Flags over Georgia for years and it was the same way--just a few rides in the beginning, then the park has added rides and attractions each year. Hopefully the HRP will be able to regroup and bounce back next year. The economy could not be worse, however, so they clearly have an uphill battle.

glenneaglesfan
09-26-2008, 09:49 AM
That is bad news. It's one of the places I wanted to visit if I got a chance to come over to the States again. I hope they can pull through.

sodascouts
09-26-2008, 04:54 PM
I think it's really difficult for amusement parks in out-of-the-way places to make it. Even in Houston, a huge market, the beloved Astroworld closed down a couple years ago. I was so upset - I'd been going there every summer since childhood.

Of course, that was also largely because the owners of the property felt that even though Astroworld was still turning a profit, they could make a much bigger profit if they sold that prime real estate for urban development.

Yeah, 'cause we totally needed some more skyscrapers and office buildings.

Anyway, I'm sad to hear that the HRP is going so soon, too. Hopefully they can re-open again better than ever. Perhaps they can get the Eagles to do a benefit for them. ;)

DonFan
01-13-2009, 06:12 PM
HARD ROCK PARK WILL NEVER SHAKE, RATTLE OR ROLL AGAIN

Wed., Jan 7, 2009--Hard Rock Park, the $400 million rock and roll theme park in South Carolina that struggled from almost the moment it opened last year, is converting its bankruptcy to a Chapter 7 proceeding, which means that all the park's assets—from Phonehenge (http://hardrockpark.com/britishinvasion/phonehenge.cfm) to its Eagles-themed roller coaster (http://hardrockpark.com/coolcountry/eagleslifeinthefastlane.cfm)—will be liquidated. According to the bankruptcy trustee assigned to the case, most of those assets already have liens against them, so anyone who has an outstanding invoice with the park is probably out of luck as far as getting their debts paid back. Who would have thought that a curdling tourism economy and a growing indifference toward pop music would have resulted in such an ignominious end? [Myrtle Beach Online (http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/142/story/732693.html)]
:-( :-( :-(

I really hoped that the HRP would be able to re-group after they closed last fall and successfully reopen this spring, but alas, it is not be be. When I read about the court-ordered liquidation of their assets, I was so sad. I can't begin to tell you how absolutely cool all the rock-themed architecture and rock artifacts in the park were--it was a treat just walking around eyeballing everything. It was so much fun seeing the Eagles there, part of that huge crowd who came to the park on that balmy summer night to hear rock's greatest band (IMO) celebrate the park's grand opening. I guess I'm just a bit nostalgic, but that is a night that Soda, Dreamer, her family, and my daughter and I will always remember.

Glennsallnighter
01-13-2009, 06:16 PM
Aww!! HRP was my 'must see' list for when I finally make it over to the States!! :-(:-(:-(

Peekaboo
01-14-2009, 01:00 AM
Well that's too bad. I would liked to have taken a trip there sometime but now i will never get the chance.

sodascouts
01-14-2009, 01:07 AM
Oh, what a shame! I definitely do treasure my trip there with DonFan, BamaGirl, Dreamer, Screamin' Eagle, and Eaglette. It makes me so sad that this park wasn't even given a chance to succeed... was it even open 4 months? Terrible.