PDA

View Full Version : Happy Mother's Day

Glennsallnighter
03-02-2008, 06:17 AM
Over this part of the world its Mothers day today. Of course Hubby and the kids are spoiling me :wink: .

So to all the mothers out there

Happy Mothers Day

(Even if it isn't :wink: )

DonFan
03-02-2008, 11:23 AM
Happy Mother's Day to you too, GA!

Wonder why your part of the world celebrates it in March, and the U.S. celebrates it in May? :hmm:

Glennsallnighter
03-02-2008, 12:02 PM
Happy Mother's Day to you too, GA!

Wonder why your part of the world celebrates it in March, and the U.S. celebrates it in May? :hmm:

Its to do with the Christian church and the season of Lent. Apparently tradition had it that girls who worked away from home in service always got the middle Sunday of Lent - 3 weeks before Easter- off to visit their mothers. A girl would bake a cake as a gift to her mother. It was originally called 'Mothering Sunday' and still can be referred to as that. I suppose no one ever bothered to change the date even when the situation of women changed.

My little darlings gave me loads of gorgeous artwork (Handprints, paper flowers a certificate, cards etc!), flowers and a pair of earrings. I have a special event coming up this month which the earrings will suit nicely :wink:

EasyFeeling
03-02-2008, 12:40 PM
Happy Mother's day to all the moms who celebrate it. :D GA, I'm glad you are enjoying the day and your kids are spoiling you. Oooooh, new earrings... right at time I say. :wink:

sodascouts
03-02-2008, 05:27 PM
Happy Mother's Day to the moms overseas!

glenneaglesfan
03-02-2008, 06:20 PM
Happy Mother's Day to everyone who celebrates it today. After a late night out, Mark shuffled down to print off a hand-designed card which was an absolute hoot - who could ask for more?

Glennsallnighter
03-02-2008, 06:35 PM
Isn't it great that the kids still do the 'handcrafts' up to their late teens.

Freypower
03-02-2008, 06:37 PM
That's weird. We celebrate it in May too, the same as the US. I assumed as a 'colony' our Mother's Day would be the same as the UK.

Brooke
03-03-2008, 04:00 PM
Happy Mother's Day to all those who celebrated it yesterday! Sorry I missed it!

thelongrun
03-05-2008, 12:04 PM
Same here: Happy Mother's Day to all those who celebrated over there! Sorry I missed it too, we have it on May here too, my best Moms 8)