PDA

View Full Version : Eagles to perform Hotel California in its entirety

groupie2686
04-02-2019, 09:42 AM
I just saw this...they are going to perform Hotel California in its entirety at 2 shows in Vegas in September....I just tried to post a link to the article but it wouldn't work for some reason. I wonder who is going to do Try and Love Again, though...my guess would be Vince, although since Vince has been doing NKIT, what would that leave for Deacon?

I remember reading somewhere that Glenn had wanted to do this to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the album - who would have done TALA then, I wonder? Timothy?

CAinOH
04-02-2019, 09:45 AM
I just saw this...they are going to perform Hotel California in its entirety at 2 shows in Vegas in September....I just tried to post a link to the article but it wouldn't work for some reason. I wonder who is going to do Try and Love Again, though...my guess would be Vince, although since Vince has been doing NKIT, what would that leave for Deacon?

I remember reading somewhere that Glenn had wanted to do this to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the album - who would have done TALA then, I wonder? Timothy?

The Eagles' site actually has a news item about it:
https://eagles.com/news

New Kid In Town
04-02-2019, 09:47 AM
Hi Groupie - how are you ?
Wow, I am surprised with that news. I do not think Tim will do TALA - he said he would never sing any Randy songs. So, I guess that means Vince will sing it. Can you imagine how much those tickets will cost.

CAinOH
04-02-2019, 10:19 AM
And... it's scheduled for the same weekend as the Standin' on the Corner Festival in Winslow.

Eagles' fans are needing to make a hard decision this morning. :)

scottside
04-02-2019, 10:25 AM
I don't think this all that much of a reach or a surprise. Nearly all of this album has been played for years, TALA being the lone exception. And quite frankly, if Randy isn't there to sing this, I wouldn't be at all interested, no matter who ends up doing the vocals.

YoungEaglesFan
04-02-2019, 10:58 AM
I understand many will not care for this, but I’m really excited to see this. Mainly because of try and love again being played. It would have been nice to see them do this with Glenn but I don’t think anyone in the band could have done that song as well as Vince could now. Besides bringing back Randy to do it of course

chaim
04-02-2019, 11:18 AM
Wow, I am surprised with that news. I do not think Tim will do TALA - he said he would never sing any Randy songs. So, I guess that means Vince will sing it. Can you imagine how much those tickets will cost.

Did Timothy say why he won't sing them?

groupie2686
04-02-2019, 01:10 PM

Hi New Kid, I've been good, how are you?

I remember reading that too, Tim said he wouldn't sing any Randy songs- maybe out of respect for him when he first joined? It would be fair though, if Vince did NKIT as usual, to give Tim a song.

I have no interest in seeing TALA without Randy (or any of this without Glenn for that matter, but I don't want to drag up that debate here).

Arlee
04-02-2019, 01:52 PM
And... it's scheduled for the same weekend as the Standin' on the Corner Festival in Winslow.

Eagles' fans are needing to make a hard decision this morning. :)

That is so wrong!

Arlee
04-02-2019, 02:17 PM
I'm looking forward to this. I'm glad they've decided to do one more US show.

As with their other concerts I've attended the last year, more than a few tears will be shed all around. It hurts. I know I'm not alone when I say that Frey's death is still unsettled in my mind and heart.

For me personally, when I attend these concerts, in some ways it feels like a tribute for Frey. As Henley said, they're doing these songs in his honor.

It's an outlet for my grief, I suppose. But of course, it's so much more.

There is the oft-cited "soundtrack to my life" played live.

And then there's the talented musicians themselves. I get chills when Henley goes into a song. Sigh.

And seeing how the guys and the audience embrace Deacon almost makes my heart burst.

Then there's a chance to see those talented and fabulous backing members. It's so fun to see how much fun Crago has.

CAinOH
04-02-2019, 04:29 PM
Here's an AP story about it:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/eagles-to-perform-hotel-california-album-in-its-entirety/ar-BBVwLR3?li=BBnbhK0

Delilah
04-05-2019, 03:49 PM
I understand many will not care for this, but I’m really excited to see this. Mainly because of try and love again being played. It would have been nice to see them do this with Glenn but I don’t think anyone in the band could have done that song as well as Vince could now. Besides bringing back Randy to do it of course

I agree Vince is best suited to sing TALA although it would be interesting to hear Don’s take on it. I guess Steuart will play the guitar solo.

I wonder if Deacon will take over NKIT. I also wonder this being a Vegas show if it will be recorded for DVD release.

FreyFollower
04-05-2019, 04:04 PM
I also wonder this being a Vegas show if it will be recorded for DVD release.

This reminds me of the Troubador shows that were supposedly recorded. Anybody know what happened with that?

Delilah
04-05-2019, 05:00 PM
I’m drawing a blank - which Troubadour shows? The tribute concert for Glenn?

FreyFollower
04-05-2019, 05:11 PM
I'm sorry, Delilah, I misspoke. I meant the shows at the Forum on the previous tour.

WalshFan88
04-05-2019, 08:16 PM
I would have been so game for this had it been when Glenn was around. Would have been right up my alley.

sodascouts
04-06-2019, 02:33 PM
If they had done this when Glenn was alive, I would have broken the bank to get there.

Ive always been a dreamer
04-07-2019, 05:31 PM
Yeah - I feel the same way. I would have loved to have seen this done in the album's 40th anniversary year with Glenn, but, it was, obviously, not to be. Hard to believe when they take the stage for these two performances only 2 people will be there that were involved in the actual recording of this album.

Brooke
04-08-2019, 11:56 AM
Same for me. They should have done it with Glenn. :rolleyes:

longtimeeaglesfan
04-08-2019, 01:56 PM
Floor seats in the 11th row are over $907 each after fees. The Lane One packages range from $2,100 each (ticket only in 3rd or 4th row side floor sections) to $7,500 each for front row-center, but includes hotel, some food & drink and transportation extras.

The worst nose bleed seats are $164 plus fees!

If demand supports these kind of prices, this will probably be a precursor to a 2020 Hotel California North American tour! :dizzy:

Even as someone who is not opposed to this incarnation of the band, I can't imagine paying these kind of prices for 2 of the 5 Eagles that were on that album. And you get a cover version of Try and Love Again. Crazy stuff!!

New Kid In Town
04-08-2019, 02:27 PM
Nothing but pure greed. IMHO anyone who pays those prices is crazy, especially when there are only two members left who recorded the album.

sodascouts
04-08-2019, 03:03 PM
Oh my gosh. This LaneOne experience....

https://www.laneone.com/eagles_las_vegas

No one wants any of that stuff. All people care about are the tickets. All of that is just an excuse to jack up the ticket prices, an attempt to drape some clothing over the naked greed. Well, sorry, folks. The fabric is see-through.

chaim
04-08-2019, 03:08 PM
Hey, it was just one show in honour of Glenn. Oh wait...

Delilah
04-08-2019, 04:07 PM
Floor seats in the 11th row are over $907 each after fees. The Lane One packages range from $2,100 each (ticket only in 3rd or 4th row side floor sections) to $7,500 each for front row-center, but includes hotel, some food & drink and transportation extras.

If demand supports these kind of prices, this will probably be a precursor to a 2020 Hotel California North American tour! :dizzy:

Even as someone who is not opposed to this incarnation of the band, I can't imagine paying these kind of prices for 2 of the 5 Eagles that were on that album. And you get a cover version of Try and Love Again. Crazy stuff!!

I checked out the cost of tickets on their website out of curiosity. Crazy prices indeed! While another tour is possible, they may be testing the waters for a Las Vegas residency.

Hey, it was just one show in honour of Glenn. Oh wait...

Well, it was at that time...not sure what your point is?

chaim
04-08-2019, 04:25 PM
I checked out the cost of tickets on their website out of curiosity. Crazy prices indeed! While another tour is possible, they may be testing the waters for a Las Vegas residency.

Well, it was at that time...not sure what your point is?

Not making a huge statement there. Just remembering how we were once told to stop complaining because it's just one show, but now there seems to be an endless road ahead full of possibilities, like The Lane One packages - whatever they are...

Delilah
04-08-2019, 04:34 PM
Some people were getting quite upset...trying to allay their concerns is not the same as saying “stop complaining” (although I can remember that being said to some of us not happy with the KC Honors fiasco). But maybe we’re thinking of different threads or something.

chaim
04-08-2019, 04:39 PM
Above all I'm amazed by how far this is going. At first it was just a healing thing for them or something. At first I didn't think this was just a money thing, but more and more I'm starting to agree with those who have always said that it is.

Delilah
04-08-2019, 05:45 PM
The money factor doesn’t surprise me. It’s been that way since HFO. Reviving the idea of playing the entire HC album was unexpected however; I suppose it’s a way to make the concert more of an event for the Vegas crowd/venue and justify the prices. Otherwise why would they bother with it at this point.

WalshFan88
04-08-2019, 05:47 PM
Oh my gosh. This LaneOne experience....

https://www.laneone.com/eagles_las_vegas

No one wants any of that stuff. All people care about are the tickets. All of that is just an excuse to jack up the ticket prices, an attempt to drape some clothing over the naked greed. Well, sorry, folks. The fabric is see-through.

So true, and I LOVE the bolded line, Soda!

The writing has long been on the wall since Classic East/West for those who have cared to look.

WalshFan88
04-08-2019, 05:48 PM
Above all I'm amazed by how far this is going. At first it was just a healing thing for them or something. At first I didn't think this was just a money thing, but more and more I'm starting to agree with those who have always said that it is.

I think I'm one who has called it what it is (a shameless $ grab) from day one (or shortly thereafter at the latest), but even I am shocked how long this has been going on and how blatantly obvious it has become.

Glennsallnighter
04-09-2019, 07:27 AM
I never had any intention on going to this and I just checked out the prices out of idle interest and because I was aware that a few of my Eagles groupies on FB were intending on going. I always considered that the real Eagles charged a little over the odds for the good tickets but I was happy to pay say $625 for a floor seat in the first few rows, some food/drink and a few gimmicks. It was my reward for taking on extra work (or maybe the reason for doing it! lol). And for the ordinary average fan it was doable if they wanted it to be. But these prices really go beyond the reach of the people who have been the loyal bread and butter fans of the past 40 years, the people who saved to see them, the people who organised their holidays around when they would be playing, or the people who had to make choices how to spend their money and they made the Eagles their choice. A HH pointed out on FB, a round trip to see the Vegas show with a front seat package would set a couple back $20,000 by the time flights etc were factored in. That could be someones post tax salary for a year. I also feel that whatever about good seats and a few gift and the usual palaver about crowd free merch and a private bar, a VIP package should not have to include a 5* hotel suite as part of the package. Does that preclude people who live near Vegas or have alternative accomodation from getting front row seats? Looks like it.

Sadly I think this band is going to become a 'corporate' band out of the reach of the majority of the people who have supported it. Rich business people will be the only ones with the means to access the good seats and they will use them to impress others who never hears the names Glenn:heart: Frey or Don Henley in their lives. Or if they had they wont be able to tell the difference.

Brooke
04-09-2019, 01:38 PM
The writing has long been on the wall since Classic East/West for those who have cared to look.

You are so right! I am completely dismayed and angry that they are continuing on. :scowl: This isn't the Eagles! And to pay those prices for this sham....I can't believe people will. Like someone said, it will only be for rich people that can afford it. The everyday fan (the ones who made them what they were for years) can stay home and listen to the originals on their recordings. I really believe all they care about now is the almighty $$$$$$$ They are such a disappointment. :sad: :mad:

WalshFan88
04-09-2019, 02:01 PM
You are so right! I am completely dismayed and angry that they are continuing on. :scowl: This isn't the Eagles! And to pay those prices for this sham....I can't believe people will. Like someone said, it will only be for rich people that can afford it. The everyday fan (the ones who made them what they were for years) can stay home and listen to the originals on their recordings. I really believe all they care about now is the almighty $$$$$$$ They are such a disappointment. :sad: :mad:

Amen, Brooke!

The more it goes on the more disgusting and icky-feeling it becomes. They have really showed themselves, as if they are putting it out there proudly that they are all about the money. As the old saying goes - "money talks and bull**** walks!". They aren't even making any attempts to cover up this shameless money grab. I think Don Henley probably likes it now because he can run the show without having to cooperate with another person, who more often than not had the last say, even over Don himself (albeit being considered co-leaders). Point blank, it was Glenn's band. There is no real Eagles without him!

The rose-colored glasses have to come off at some point and people have to take it for what it is and stop pretending they are doing it just because they love to perform or that it's ok because Cindy approved it.

chaim
04-09-2019, 03:04 PM
I can't say for a fact what their motivations are, but it's getting harder and harder for me to believe that the MAIN motivation is anything but money. Healing? Maybe it actually helps them heal to see rich people in the best seats, but I'm not sure I believe that.

sodascouts
04-09-2019, 03:27 PM
To be fair, if Glenn were alive, I would be one of the people trying to buy a "cheap seat."

Then again, if he were alive, would prices be like this?

He wasn't adverse to making money, that's for sure; they were charging a grand for the front row during HOTE. Still... there wasn't this kind of $7000+ package stuff when he was in charge of the store.

I was speculating with GA that I think tickets would probably still be really expensive if he were alive, and we'd still be moaning about it, but they wouldn't be THIS expensive.

Maybe it actually helps them heal to see rich people in the best seats lol!

WalshFan88
04-09-2019, 03:35 PM
Maybe it actually helps them heal to see rich people in the best seats, but I'm not sure I believe that.

LMAO!

chaim
04-09-2019, 03:36 PM
Now that I mentioned the "healing", I started thinking if it's something the band have said themselves or if it came from fans...

WalshFan88
04-09-2019, 04:14 PM
Now that I mentioned the "healing", I started thinking if it's something the band have said themselves or if it came from fans...

I think both. I know there's definitely been some people on here to use that term. But I also seemingly remember something about Henley saying something similar.

FreyFollower
04-09-2019, 04:57 PM

The worst nose bleed seats are $164 plus

Remember when there was little or no difference in seat prices? Dedicated fans of modest means could get front row seats if they were willing to camp overnight in front of the box office.

These prices are well above what you would expect for some charity fund raiser---at least then you could feel good about supporting a worthy cause.

I wonder if they are so far removed from the average Joe that they don't realize that these ticket prices are insultingly unattainable for the majority of their long time fans, many whom are retired at this point. And all the fancy hoo-haws added on just make them more expensive.

To put the prices in perspective, the average household income for Linden, where Henley is from, is less than $26,000 a year. As GA implied, rich folks who hardly know them will be the ones out front. And paying that much money doesn't insure that there won't be sound issues, hoarse singers, or obnoxious drunks seated all around you, either!

thelastresort
04-10-2019, 04:33 PM
Is this the same Don Henley who made a living off preaching about the evils of money, arrogance and greed; and espousing the glories of Thoreau's steadfast observation of simplicity and humility? If the blatant hypocrisy didn't amuse me so much I'd probably cry.

Charging $7,000 for essentially a greatest hits tour, plus two songs they haven't played in deacdes and another two that fall in and out of the setlist (The Last Resort and TALA, Wasted Time and VOL respectively), featuring 40% of those who featured on it not even playing the same contributions the made (e.g. Henley on drums for any of it, or Joe's keyboards throughout), and only one half of the most famous dual guitar soloists ever. You see the same thing in sports, the offerings completely going over the heads of those who would die for the participants, all because you can make more money out of gormless morons who couldn't care less if they were at a boxing match or an orchestra.

WalshFan88
04-10-2019, 05:36 PM
Is this the same Don Henley who made a living off preaching about the evils of money, arrogance and greed; and espousing the glories of Thoreau's steadfast observation of simplicity and humility? If the blatant hypocrisy didn't amuse me so much I'd probably cry.

Charging $7,000 for essentially a greatest hits tour, plus two songs they haven't played in deacdes and another two that fall in and out of the setlist (The Last Resort and TALA, Wasted Time and VOL respectively), featuring 40% of those who featured on it not even playing the same contributions the made (e.g. Henley on drums for any of it, or Joe's keyboards throughout), and only one half of the most famous dual guitar soloists ever. You see the same thing in sports, the offerings completely going over the heads of those who would die for the participants, all because you can make more money out of gormless morons who couldn't care less if they were at a boxing match or an orchestra.

I couldn't agree more TLR. Henley can be very preachy (too much for my tastes at times especially on LROOE) and at times, hypocritical. I think when David Geffen called him a malcontent I'd say he was spot on. I love his voice and I think he's a brilliant songwriter. I just don't always agree with his viewpoints and I don't think I'd want to associate with him or meet him. Which is sad, because I love his Eagles and solo music.

It truly boggles my mind some people aren't seeing what we are seeing. Maybe they don't want to think of it that way on purpose. But it's so shameless that it's like they aren't even trying to hide it anymore.

sodascouts
04-10-2019, 05:44 PM

From Thoreau's "Life without Principle" (1863):

"I think that there is nothing, not even crime, more opposed to poetry, to philosophy, ay, to life itself, than this incessant business."

MaryCalifornia
04-10-2019, 10:55 PM
Hi everyone, it's been a while. I hope you're all well! I've been busy with kids and work, but think about the Eagles and you all. I just saw this thread - I don't understand the absolutely insane ticket prices. I do see a pretty nice seat in section 10, row T, seat 1 for $550. It's not down front, but its a good enough seat. I looked at Lady Gaga's residency shows in October at the MGM, in a different venue, the WORST seat in the house starts at $818, and she has a lot of shows. This is not a defense of Eagles pricing, again, I don't know how they arrive at the numbers. Gaga's prices are extreme, $11K for a front row seat.

Edited to add: someone in this thread said something about maybe them testing out a residency - that's a good point. I mean, at this price point, these "events" are not for fans of the band, they're for whatever big spenders and VIPs happen to be in Vegas that weekend - its a showing off thing for people. It's almost like a private show that real fans don't have access to. At their ages, I think a Hotel California residency would be very appealing. Because they can claim this first show as "historic" maybe prices would go down if they did do additional shows - they won't be historic anymore.

New Kid In Town
04-12-2019, 11:02 AM
Hi MaryC - How are you ? So good to hear from you. I have to say I pretty much agree with what you said. I can see them doing a residency. It would mean they would not have to do the touring all over the country, and have a base where they do maybe one show per month - like Billy Joel at the Garden. I had read somewhere that Glenn was talking about doing something like this at the Form in LA before he passed.

New Kid In Town
04-12-2019, 11:08 AM
Remember when there was little or no difference in seat prices? Dedicated fans of modest means could get front row seats if they were willing to camp overnight in front of the box office.

These prices are well above what you would expect for some charity fund raiser---at least then you could feel good about supporting a worthy cause.

I wonder if they are so far removed from the average Joe that they don't realize that these ticket prices are insultingly unattainable for the majority of their long time fans, many whom are retired at this point. And all the fancy hoo-haws added on just make them more expensive.

To put the prices in perspective, the average household income for Linden, where Henley is from, is less than $26,000 a year. As GA implied, rich folks who hardly know them will be the ones out front. And paying that much money doesn't insure that there won't be sound issues, hoarse singers, or obnoxious drunks seated all around you, either!

FF - Agree ! Like I said before - pure greed. :thumbsdown::enraged::sad:

Delilah
04-12-2019, 01:32 PM

Maybe I’m not doing something right in looking it up, but it looks like the Platinum Experience ($6500) is the only Lane One package left for the Friday concert. Only the top 2, Diamond ($7500) and Platinum packages, are available for Saturday. The Gold, Silver and Premium Experiences have sold out I guess.

To compare, The Rolling Stones have a meet and greet package that costs $25,000 per person. Elton John is charging $9075 per person for a backstage tour and photo at his piano (without him) plus some extra goodies, but no meet and greet. Neither of these include accommodations in a luxury suite at a 4-5 star hotel. There are other bands who are charging ridiculous prices for VIP experiences as well. Just sayin, the Eagles are hardly alone in this.

Based on the info from the previous post, it appears much of the Linden population have been priced out of Eagles concerts for decades.

FreyFollower
04-12-2019, 04:05 PM
[QUOTE=Delilah;38475Based on the info from the previous post, it appears much of the Linden population have been priced out of Eagles concerts for decades.[/QUOTE]

Well, tickets to their last show in Bossier City, a very reasonable distance from Linden, started at $45! (As reported from The Shreveport Times.). Not exactly Vegas, but fairly affordable.

Granted, ticket prices for big name acts of late have gone crazy.

sodascouts
04-12-2019, 11:19 PM
No, the "Eagles" are not alone.

I think there may have been some who believed they held themselves to a higher standard.

Those people are being disabused of that notion.

It's a painful process.

FreyFollower
04-13-2019, 12:23 AM
Although I know this topic is not what was being referred to, the "Because we can" comment frequently comes to mind.

WalshFan88
04-13-2019, 01:29 AM
I agree with Soda and FreyFollower completely.

04-13-2019, 10:00 AM
Yep - I agree that those Vegas prices are obscene. I've said this before, and I'll say it again ... I don't believe their touring over the past two years has been quite as lucrative as they had hoped. So, yeah, let's save face, and do these Vegas shows. After all, it is more money and less effort for them, even though the average fan is priced out of these shows. But, oh, I forgot, the band isn't doing this for the money ... they are doing it because the fans still want to hear these songs. :brickwall:

chaim
04-13-2019, 10:19 AM
Yes, if the fee is right, they keep the songs alive. 👌

WalshFan88
04-13-2019, 06:22 PM
Yep - I agree that those Vegas prices are obscene. I've said this before, and I'll say it again ... I don't believe their touring over the past two years has been quite as lucrative as they had hoped. So, yeah, let's save face, and do these Vegas shows. After all, it is more money and less effort for them, even though the average fan is priced out of these shows. But, oh, I forgot, the band isn't doing this for the money ... they are doing it because the fans still want to hear these songs. :brickwall:

Exactly. It's all about the $ and anyone who says that its for healing or for keeping the music alive or any of that nonsense is choosing to deny the reality of it all, IMO. It's so obvious by now.

I also agree that I don't think they've been all that successful without Glenn.

WalshFan88
04-13-2019, 06:22 PM
Yes, if the fee is right, they keep the songs alive. 👌

Bingo!

Delilah
04-14-2019, 04:49 PM
Well, tickets to their last show in Bossier City, a very reasonable distance from Linden, started at $45! (As reported from The Shreveport Times.). Not exactly Vegas, but fairly affordable.

Granted, ticket prices for big name acts of late have gone crazy.

Good point, FF.

Dreamer, what are you basing this on? From everything I’ve read, the tour has been quite successful. I don’t know how the European dates are selling but they sold out concerts in Australia and New Zealand last month. They actually grossed $6.6 million+ in one night at Dunedin, NZ. The planning for the Vegas shows must have started some time ago.

According to Pollstar, the band was ranked the #6 top-grossing act for 2018, ahead of U2 and The Rolling Stones:

Rounding out the Top 10 are Bruno Mars, Eagles, Justin Timberlake, Roger Waters, U2 and The Rolling Stones. The Eagles’ sixth-ranked tour took in $165.9 million at the box office from 964,245 sold tickets at 53 performances – followed by Timberlake at No. 7 who, after a postponement of shows until 2019 because of health reasons, ended the year with 77 shows reported and $150.8 million in earnings from 1.1 million tickets.

https://www.pollstar.com/article/year-end-special-features-top-tours-ticket-sales-charts-industry-pros-weigh-in-on-2018-136923

They are also nominated for a Best Rock Tour Award by Pollstar.

https://awards.pollstar.live/2019-nominees/

I believe it’s possible for a band to perform for the money, the adulation from the audience and​ because they just love playing music.

YoungEaglesFan
04-14-2019, 06:16 PM
I agree with Delilah completely. Their high prices are hardly unique. They are definitely high. They might be excessive depending on your view but that’s a personal opinion thing. For me personally, they are one of the most popular bands of all time and I think their prices reflect that. Also, To me these guys picked music because they loved it not because of money. Don’t get me wrong, at this point in their lives money plays a huge role but I think they still like what they do. If they folded the Eagles after Glenn’s passing, I believe they would still be touring and playing many of these songs (in their respective solo careers). I don’t deny the impact of money on their decisions but I think there’s a number of factors that cause them to tour. Not just the money.

WalshFan88
04-14-2019, 06:20 PM
If they folded the Eagles after Glenn’s passing, I believe they would still be touring and playing many of these songs (in their respective solo careers).

Which is exactly what they should have done, YEF! No Eagles without Glenn. They have the right to be Don Henley, Joe Walsh, and Timothy B. Schmit. Not Eagles!

To be charging this much to see a heavily diluted Eagles is just shameful, IMO.

WalshFan88
04-14-2019, 06:22 PM
Maybe they do love to play still and love the adulation, but they have other avenues for that (solo, or even together under a different name without doing Glenn's material).

There is no doubt that money is what drove them to continue after Glenn's passing, not for the love of it or healing or any of that stuff.

YoungEaglesFan
04-14-2019, 06:28 PM
Maybe they do love to play still and love the adulation, but they have other avenues for that (solo, or even together under a different name without doing Glenn's material).

There is no doubt that money is what drove them to continue after Glenn's passing, not for the love of it or healing or any of that stuff.

I agree with everything you said. They do straddle a weird position with them saying publicly that the band isn’t the same without Glenn and that it’s not really the Eagles but at the same time touring as the Eagles.

YoungEaglesFan
04-14-2019, 06:29 PM
Which is exactly what they should have done, YEF! No Eagles without Glenn. They have the right to be Don Henley, Joe Walsh, and Timothy B. Schmit. Not Eagles!

To be charging this much to see a heavily diluted Eagles is just shameful, IMO.
I wouldn’t be opposed to that though I just personally believe that it’s legitimate band lineup. I wonder how much simplicity of them touring together played a role. Kinda hard to advertise that lineup. Unless they formed a new band...

WalshFan88
04-14-2019, 06:31 PM
I agree with everything you said. They do straddle a weird position with them saying publicly that the band isn’t the same without Glenn and that it’s not really the Eagles but at the same time touring as the Eagles.

To me I'd probably have more respect for them at this point if they just came out and said the facts. I'd still be opposed to them moving on, but I'd feel like they aren't being as deceitful.

WalshFan88
04-14-2019, 06:38 PM
I wouldn’t be opposed to that though I just personally believe that it’s legitimate band lineup. I wonder how much simplicity of them touring together played a role. Kinda hard to advertise that lineup. Unless they formed a new band...

Oh I definitely think they should have formed a new band.

To perform Hotel California with only 2 original members and charge the prices they are charging is just asinine.

04-15-2019, 11:03 PM
Good point, FF.

Dreamer, what are you basing this on? From everything I’ve read, the tour has been quite successful. I don’t know how the European dates are selling but they sold out concerts in Australia and New Zealand last month. They actually grossed $6.6 million+ in one night at Dunedin, NZ. The planning for the Vegas shows must have started some time ago.

According to Pollstar, the band was ranked the #6 top-grossing act for 2018, ahead of U2 and The Rolling Stones:

Rounding out the Top 10 are Bruno Mars, Eagles, Justin Timberlake, Roger Waters, U2 and The Rolling Stones. The Eagles’ sixth-ranked tour took in $165.9 million at the box office from 964,245 sold tickets at 53 performances – followed by Timberlake at No. 7 who, after a postponement of shows until 2019 because of health reasons, ended the year with 77 shows reported and $150.8 million in earnings from 1.1 million tickets.

https://www.pollstar.com/article/year-end-special-features-top-tours-ticket-sales-charts-industry-pros-weigh-in-on-2018-136923

They are also nominated for a Best Rock Tour Award by Pollstar.

https://awards.pollstar.live/2019-nominees/

I believe it’s possible for a band to perform for the money, the adulation from the audience and​ because they just love playing music.

Delilah - I didn't say that the tour wasn't successful. As a matter of fact, I think most bands would give anything to be half as successful. However, in comparison to past Eagles tours, I do not believe this one has been as lucrative. The numbers you gave actually make my point. In past years when they toured, the band almost always ranked 1st or 2nd in earnings. Now, you can make an argument that they aren't bringing in the same $$'s because they aren't playing as many dates. However, I would argue back that the reason they aren't playing as many dates is because they have reached their market saturation point where they schedule as many dates as the demand will bear.

And at the risk of repeating myself once again, I don't doubt that they love playing music and I have no problem with them making money for their performances. However, they had many other options to continue performing without continuing as the Eagles. It would seem to me that it would have been much more of an artistic challenge for them to explore other avenues such as collaborating with other artists or focusing on their solo careers.

Delilah
04-16-2019, 02:25 PM
Delilah - I didn't say that the tour wasn't successful. As a matter of fact, I think most bands would give anything to be half as successful. However, in comparison to past Eagles tours, I do not believe this one has been as lucrative. The numbers you gave actually make my point. In past years when they toured, the band almost always ranked 1st or 2nd in earnings. Now, you can make an argument that they aren't bringing in the same $$'s because they aren't playing as many dates. However, I would argue back that the reason they aren't playing as many dates is because they have reached their market saturation point where they schedule as many dates as the demand will bear.

Ok, but in your previous post you said the tour hadn’t been as lucrative as they had hoped. I don’t believe any of us can know what financial goal they were hoping for, unless I missed some quote by Don or Irving. Why would they even expect to do as well as previous tours with Glenn? My guess is they are pleased and probably surprised they have been doing as well as they are, all things being considered.

Also so you said they were doing the Vegas shows to “save face” as if their tour numbers were embarrassing. I doubt the public or the number-crunchers or whoever care that much, if at all, that they were #6 last year vs. #1 or#2 in 1996 (or whenever it was).

WalshFan88
04-16-2019, 04:12 PM

And at the risk of repeating myself once again, I don't doubt that they love playing music and I have no problem with them making money for their performances. However, they had many other options to continue performing without continuing as the Eagles. It would seem to me that it would have been much more of an artistic challenge for them to explore other avenues such as collaborating with other artists or focusing on their solo careers.

Agreed.

They don't have as high grossing of a tour without Glenn. As it should be.

04-17-2019, 10:37 PM
@ Delilah - Obviously, we don't know exactly what the band thinks. We are both guessing, so I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. My opinion is that they do care about the numbers. I don't have the year-by-year numbers, but, IIRC, they consistently came in 1st or 2nd in earnings throughout both the LROOE and HOTE tours.

WalshFan88
04-18-2019, 02:35 PM
@ Delilah - Obviously, we don't know exactly what the band thinks. We are both guessing, so I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. My opinion is that they do care about the numbers. I don't have the year-by-year numbers, but, IIRC, they consistently came in 1st or 2nd in earnings throughout both the LROOE and HOTE tours.

Yep. It wasn't just in 1996. It was as recent as the HOTE tour.

Delilah
04-18-2019, 07:16 PM
The subject of lucrative tours piqued my curiosity so I looked at some Pollstar data and discovered some surprising revelations.

These appear to be the most lucrative years for the band in terms of concert revenue:

1995 rank: #1; earnings: $63.3 million, $104,298,380 in 2018 dollars

2003 rank: #3; earnings: $69.3 million, $94,574,539 in 2018 dollars

2005 rank: #4; earnings: $78.4 million, $100,802,810 in 2018 dollars

2008 rank: #3; earnings: $73.4 million, $85,606,117 in 2018 dollars

2014 rank: #8; earnings: $86.5 million, $91,750,900 in 2018 dollars

2018 rank: #6; earnings: $165,900,000

Some notes:

I saw no year other than 1995 where the Eagles ranked #1 for concert revenue and none where they ranked #2.

in 2005 the average ticket price was $107.99; in 2014 it was $138.34; in 2018 $172.13

although the band ranked #3 in 2008, it was actually a relatively low-grossing year for them, probably due in part to the economy at the time. This could go a long way in explaining why they eventually dropped LROOE songs from the setlist—it was affecting their bottom line.

in 2010 the band had to cancel some dates due to poor sales

in 1995 the band played about 74 dates; in 2014 they played 61 dates; in 2018 they played 55 dates

the band’s lower ranking over time can be explained at least in part due to the rise of new acts like Taylor Swift taking over; before then the rankings were dominated by 70s and 80s acts.

These are the numbers that came up when looking into concert revenue. If anyone believes these numbers are wrong then I welcome any corrections and sources for them. These results were not what I expected (although I knew one of the HFO years was exceptional).

04-19-2019, 09:28 PM
Wow - Those are very interesting numbers. I am positive that the numbers for some years during both the LROOE and HOTE tours had the band coming in 1st or 2nd place. Apparently, the numbers got re-adjusted for some reason. Go figure! In any event, it doesn't change my original premise that the Vegas shows are easy money for the band, relatively speaking. They price out the average fan and substantially weakens the argument that they continue touring because fans want to hear these songs by the band that recorded them. But, like I said in another thread, sadly, residencies seem to be the up and coming trend for successful musical acts these days.

New Kid In Town
04-20-2019, 03:36 PM
Delilah - thanks for the research - you are better than me. However, I thought they came out in the top three from 1994 to 1996 for the HFO Tour.

WalshFan88
04-22-2019, 08:52 PM
I am positive that the numbers for some years during both the LROOE and HOTE tours had the band coming in 1st or 2nd place.

I'm with you on that, Dreamer!

Delilah
04-23-2019, 01:22 AM
Delilah - thanks for the research - you are better than me. However, I thought they came out in the top three from 1994 to 1996 for the HFO Tour.

You’re welcome, NKIT but no I am not. I’m just a nerd who likes to dabble in numbers, stats and facts. 🤓

The HFO tour was very successful; I didn’t include 1994 data b/c they ranked #3 in the list of top-grossing acts (The Rolling Stones were #1 and Pink Floyd were #2). But I probably should have since they did gross $79.4 million (or $134,533,710 in 2018 dollars). That was with the tour cut short due to Glenn’s illness plus it didn’t even start until late May. They didn’t rank in the top 20 for 1996 which isn’t really surprising given they only played 28 shows. It’s possible they came in the top 3 for that time period.

As far as these figures go, keep in mind that I’m comparing years to years, not tours to tours. I’m also using concert revenue for comparison purposes, not total earnings. Perhaps the Eagles came out ahead during the LROOE and HOTE tours in terms of total earnings b/c that would include revenue from album and DVD sales and the related merchandising, etc. However it would not be fair to compare those numbers to last year’s tour when there was no new album release or anything else like a documentary to bring attention to the concerts (I don’t count Anniversary re-issues).

At any rate I haven’t come across anything to substantiate the Eagles ranking #1 or #2 for the LROOE or the HOTE tours. Maybe someone else can find something. For the last 10 years acts like Bon Jovi, Madonna, U2, Taylor Swift and One Direction have been making the mega-buck$.

sodascouts
04-24-2019, 06:34 PM
They price out the average fan and substantially weakens the argument that they continue touring because fans want to hear these songs by the band that recorded them.

Yeah. I never bought that line.

How about the oft-repeated argument that touring is the ONLY way to keep the music alive, and thus they must tour in order to ensure the Eagles music does not die? Let's take that to its logical conclusion. If music is only "kept alive" by being experienced in concert, it is dead for all those who cannot afford to attend such concerts. Thus, Eagles music is now dead to everyone but the rich.

WalshFan88
04-26-2019, 07:16 PM
Yeah. I never bought that line.

How about the oft-repeated argument that touring is the ONLY way to keep the music alive, and thus they must tour in order to ensure the Eagles music does not die? Let's take that to its logical conclusion. If music is only "kept alive" by being experienced in concert, it is dead for all those who cannot afford to attend such concerts. Thus, Eagles music is now dead to everyone but the rich.

Very good point.

It's bad enough they are continuing without Glenn. It's even worse to try to charge what they do without him (who I consider the most important member of the band, but one of two at any rate). It's pretty much the equivalent of rubbing alcohol in a wound. It's worse than salt, IMO. I think that argument about keeping the music alive is weak. It's just another attempt to try to justify this abomination of a band now.

chaim
04-27-2019, 02:46 AM
Very good point.

It's bad enough they are continuing without Glenn. It's even worse to try to charge what they do without him (who I consider the most important member of the band, but one of two at any rate). It's pretty much the equivalent of rubbing alcohol in a wound. It's worse than salt, IMO. I think that argument about keeping the music alive is weak. It's just another attempt to try to justify this abomination of a band now.

Remember, not only is the music being kept alive, it's actually kept alive by the band that recorded it. These guys recorded this album after all. 😁

Delilah
04-27-2019, 10:11 AM
It looks like the Saturday/Sept. 28 date is practically sold out. The Platinum package ($6500) is still available.

There are still a few dozen standard tickets left for the Friday date and lots of resales. The Platinum package is still available as well.

LuvTim
04-27-2019, 02:38 PM
It looks like the Saturday/Sept. 28 date is practically sold out. The Platinum package ($6500) is still available.

There are still a few dozen standard tickets left for the Friday date and lots of resales. The Platinum package is still available as well.

So, ok, here's the plan: $6500.00 for a 9-song album, that's a tiny bit over $722.00 per song, off the original. 9 of us go together, throw in $723.00 apiece, and we can each use the seat for one of the songs. Can we make this happen, people? ​😃

WalshFan88
04-27-2019, 02:46 PM
Remember, not only is the music being kept alive, it's actually kept alive by the band that recorded it. These guys recorded this album after all. 😁

:lol::lol::lol:

CAinOH
04-27-2019, 04:54 PM
So, ok, here's the plan: $6500.00 for a 9-song album, that's a tiny bit over $722.00 per song, off the original. 9 of us go together, throw in $723.00 apiece, and we can each use the seat for one of the songs. Can we make this happen, people? ​😃

Is this before or after the shared cruise room? ;)

LuvTim
04-27-2019, 05:12 PM
Is this before or after the shared cruise room? ;)
I've got plans, BIG plans! :grin:

sodascouts
04-28-2019, 05:14 PM
It could be like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - four people to a bed!

(One person sleeps in a chair lol)

CAinOH
06-05-2019, 01:31 PM
And... another show!

Due to overwhelming demand, a third and final show has been added on Saturday, October 5, at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, NV, featuring the Eagles - Don Henley, Joe Walsh and Timothy B. Schmit, with Deacon Frey and Vince Gill - performing their iconic album “Hotel California” in its entirety for the first time in the band’s career plus an additional set of the band’s greatest hits. These three concerts are the only North American performances for the Eagles this year. Tickets go on sale to the general public Fri, 6/14 at 10am PT. American Express Card Members can purchase tickets before the general public beginning Monday, 6/10 at 10am PT. A limited number of LaneOne Premium Packages will also be available. Packages include amazing seats in the first 3 rows, hotel accommodations, exclusive hospitality events, transportation, preferred entrance and more.

WalshFan88
06-06-2019, 01:09 AM
Gotta scrape up more money any way they can! Oops, I'm sorry - I meant keep the music alive. Or was it "for their healing". Or perhaps "because we want to please our fans". Or any of those fabricated reasonings! I lose track how many reasons they and the 3.0 supporters have given. They keep coming up with more all of the time. How about pick one and stick with it, lol. It looks less desperate that way. It doesn't seem like you are grasping for straws to validate this. Because some of us aren't going to believe anything that comes out of Don Henley. He's proven we need to take his "word" with a large grain of salt. I'm not saying he's an outright pathological liar and hypocrite (he may or may not be), but at best, he tends to go back on what he's said a lot and that he's a revisionist when it suits him in any way. Trust has to be earned. And he's lost mine for just not being reliable or believable when he gives his word or when he gives reasons for what he does. Again, at best he's very wishy-washy and I prefer to not be disappointed. Consistency isn't one of Don's strong suits. And I think I would trust just about anyone before I'd trust Irving Azoff. I think he's a greedy, manipulative man who will do anything to make a quick buck. It's sad.

06-06-2019, 07:35 PM
It'll be interesting to see how many dates this morphs into? I wonder if there'll be a 6th and final show or a 10th and final show?

sodascouts
06-06-2019, 09:07 PM
I've noticed that several bands I follow do this - announce a few shows in a big city, then announce more a bit later because of "overwhelming demand." Gee, I'm starting to think those extra shows were planned all along!

Just one more marketing ploy.

WalshFan88
06-06-2019, 10:41 PM
Absolutely Dreamer and Soda. My thoughts exactly.

Aerosmith did that recently with their Vegas MGM Grand residency. You can't tell me that wasn't planned. It honestly probably wouldn't be that easy to prepare and announce another show so quickly. My guess is they knew they were going to do more from the get go and want to "surprise" people by building hype. I think Don and Co are doing the same. They are having to resort to one of the oldest tricks in the book to keep the machine well greased and oiled. And as long as people are giving in and going, they have no reason to stop. I mean, other than having a good conscious. Other than that, as long as people keep rewarding their bad behavior, nothing will change. I fully expect them to go on for as long as Don Henley is vertical. There is no farewell or "see us while you can before we call it quits", etc. They have "motivation" to keep going.

chaim
06-07-2019, 02:07 AM
I wonder if Vince and Deacon will be signing copies of the album. 😄

WalshFan88
06-07-2019, 02:23 AM
I wonder if Vince and Deacon will be signing copies of the album. 😄

OMG Chaim. :hilarious: I would have a "come apart" if they did that. Let's hope not. That would put me over the edge, lol. The feathers would fly big time.

Brooke
06-10-2019, 03:37 PM
Lol Austin!

Bob Seger is doing his "final" tour and has just announced more dates! Follows along with everyone else, I guess! He is going to be very close to me though, so I hope we can get some decent tickets. I really want to see him one more time! (I've only seen him once.)

ChaunceyQ
06-11-2019, 08:57 AM
That's one time more than myself, Brooke. Boy do I regret not seeing Bob Seger a few times back in the day.

Brooke
06-11-2019, 01:31 PM
That's one time more than myself, Brooke. Boy do I regret not seeing Bob Seger a few times back in the day.

I couldn't afford to go back in the day, sniff, sniff, if we even heard there was one going on 3 hours away! lol And it's getting so I can't afford concert tickets these days!

And welcome to the Border, Chauncey!

WalshFan88
06-11-2019, 11:38 PM
Bob is so great. I got to see him a few years ago in St. Louis. He always stayed true to himself. No frills, authentic rootsy rock n' roll.

Some people gave him crap for doing Shakedown for Beverly Hills Cop II in the 80s and then again for letting GM/Chevy use Like A Rock for a number of years in it's commercials. They said he sold out. If that's selling out, then most can only hope to sell out to his level! Shakedown, while a departure from the sound he is known for, is a great song and it sold a LOT. It was his only number 1 hit in fact. In fact, it did better than The Heat Is On from the first movie, which stayed at number 2. Most of the people that were salty about Like A Rock being used on a Chevy commercial were Ford fans, lol. General Motors and Chevrolet have always stood above the Ford Motor Company and there are a lot of back and forth between the two camps. Chevy is better though, don't let anyone fool you. :lol: My entire family are diehard GM/Chevy people.

Brooke
06-12-2019, 01:31 PM
I could be wrong, but I think I read in an interview of Bob's that Like a Rock was actually written for the commercial. I will look it up when I get time!

Love it anyway!

WalshFan88
06-17-2019, 02:46 AM
I could be wrong, but I think I read in an interview of Bob's that Like a Rock was actually written for the commercial. I will look it up when I get time!

Love it anyway!

Actually LAR was released in 1986, the Chevy commercials didn't start until 1991. The song was about a relationship he was in that ended.

CAinOH
06-18-2019, 01:13 PM
Take this for what you will, but Otis Frey (currently on the tour as a "backline assistant") has "announced" on his Instagram in a Q&A session that the Eagles will not tour the USA next year. Guess that doesn't rule out a Vegas residency (which I'm still willing to hedge a bet on, but that chance seems to be decreasing).

sodascouts
06-18-2019, 04:20 PM
Take this for what you will, but Otis Frey (currently on the tour as a "backline assistant") has "announced" on his Instagram in a Q&A session that the Eagles will not tour the USA next year. Guess that doesn't rule out a Vegas residency (which I'm still willing to hedge a bet on, but that chance seems to be decreasing).

I was wondering if they'd do a residency, too, but I can't see them staying there long-term. Maybe a few shows every now and then.

But will this be the last tour? Nah. It wasn't marketed as such (except for the subtle implications of "See them while you can"), and Mr. Don Henley doesn't leave money on the table.

Maybe they just want to give Deacon at least a year where he can do his own thing before he hits 30 in 2023 (you know, take a year off now, then do another 3 year farewell tour). Or just give the audiences a break to save up their money, because you can't do a farewell tour if you haven't stopped the former tour!

If Don can stand and sing, they'll be touring. Actually, there's no need to be able to stand. He can always use a stool. His voice doesn't have to be in top form; they can make more and more modifications as it deteriorates. Shave off high notes. Lower keys. Drop problematic songs entirely. Give him fewer leads. The audience isn't too picky. They might not hit Europe anymore, though.

No, this isn't it for them.

TLDR: My prediction is that they'll take a year off, then start up another tour, which MIGHT be their farewell tour depending on their physical health. It will last as long as they can perform.

CAinOH
06-18-2019, 04:37 PM
TLDR: My prediction is that they'll take a year off, then start up another tour, which MIGHT be their farewell tour depending on their physical health. It will last as long as they can perform.

Farewell Tour 6 Billion 9 Hundred 87? :)

shunlvswx
06-18-2019, 04:42 PM
I agree. I don't think this is it. They probably won't do another world tour in Europe and Australia.

I was following along with the Q&A(I got a few of my questions answered). Otis did say they probably will do a few shows here and there. So I wouldn't be surprised if they might do a mini US tour with maybe 10 dates next year. Vince is already doing a 3 month tour for his new album that's coming out in August, then his Ryman concerts with Amy and he's doing the Crossroad Festival in Texas with Joe also being there. So he's busy for the rest of the year, but of course he will be there for the Vegas show.

I wouldn't be surprised if the guys will be doing some solo shows next year. I'm all for seeing their solo shows again. Maybe Don will do an album next year(yeah right. :lol: ) I haven't seen Timothy in concert yet, but I doubt he will ever come down south. I have a good chance of seeing maybe Don or Joe down south then Timothy.

Also. Erica hinted to stay tune about VetsAid in November and Vegas concert (meaning if she will be there). Is Don coming back to Veteran Aid (not saying this is true) or is she helping out Joe?

WalshFan88
06-18-2019, 09:56 PM
I have to laugh that now Otis is involved. I have to be honest here, I really don't like that. It's like "Eagle and Sons". A rock band shouldn't be a family business. I'm well aware it's happened before. Still don't like it. It's like trying to explain to 3.0 supporters why we can like Glenn but not want them continuing with Deacon. They aren't a package deal. Between Deacon and Otis and Will, it's just really bothersome to me.

I read on Facebook that Deacon said in a Instagram Q&A that the Vegas shows will likely be the last stop for him. I hope that's true. Hopefully it's because he realizes it's the right thing to do, but I'm ok with any reason he chooses to stop. I'd love for him to forge his own path from the beginning, and work his way up the ladder from the bottom, regardless of previous experience in the 3.0 Eagles and who his parents are/were. It's the fair thing to do. It's about paying dues and earning it and working hard. And I'd like to think that would be what he would do. I think from what I've heard of him, electronic music is his calling, and that's fine. It's not my bag really, but I support it fully. If it's true that Deacon will be done, does this mean the "Eagles" are done, or will Don find another attempted replacement singer? I think if Glenn's (their leader's) death didn't stop him, certainly Deacon stepping down wouldn't either. Maybe Gill will sing everything. One could also take the 'last stop' to mean he will just do Vegas shows, and maybe the Eagles will only do Vegas residencies from here on out. Anything's possible I guess! Obviously, I would like them to stop entirely.

CAinOH
06-19-2019, 08:07 AM
Ah, but didn't Don say he thought this iteration of the Eagles was okay because there was "blood" (a Frey) involved? If Deacon isn't part of it anymore, is that enough to stop Henley/Azoff?

New Kid In Town
06-19-2019, 10:19 AM
Ah, but didn't Don say he thought this iteration of the Eagles was okay because there was "blood" (a Frey) involved? If Deacon isn't part of it anymore, is that enough to stop Henley/Azoff?

Can Otis sing ? Maybe he plans on Otis taking Deacon's place. As crazy as it sounds(and I know it's crazy), I would not but anything past them. And Austin, nor would I be surprised if just Vince tours after Deacon leaves. The fans are use to him now, and from various posts on Eagles FB pages, many fans consider Vince an Eagle now.

How old is Otis now - 16 or 17. I guess he must be tutored to be on the tour with them. Shun, what did Otis say in his interview. I notice he closed his Instagram account.

New Kid In Town
06-19-2019, 10:23 AM
Bob is so great. I got to see him a few years ago in St. Louis. He always stayed true to himself. No frills, authentic rootsy rock n' roll.

Some people gave him crap for doing Shakedown for Beverly Hills Cop II in the 80s and then again for letting GM/Chevy use Like A Rock for a number of years in it's commercials. They said he sold out. If that's selling out, then most can only hope to sell out to his level! Shakedown, while a departure from the sound he is known for, is a great song and it sold a LOT. It was his only number 1 hit in fact. In fact, it did better than The Heat Is On from the first movie, which stayed at number 2. Most of the people that were salty about Like A Rock being used on a Chevy commercial were Ford fans, lol. General Motors and Chevrolet have always stood above the Ford Motor Company and there are a lot of back and forth between the two camps. Chevy is better though, don't let anyone fool you. :lol: My entire family are diehard GM/Chevy people.

I saw an interview(print) years ago with Bob where he said he let Chevy use his song because his Dad had worked at GM as an engineer.

sodascouts
06-19-2019, 01:20 PM
If it's true that Deacon will be done, does this mean the "Eagles" are done, or will Don find another attempted replacement singer? I think if Glenn's (their leader's) death didn't stop him, certainly Deacon stepping down wouldn't either.

I know Don said he wouldn't continue the "Eagles" without "blood," but Don says a lot of things. The possibility of such statements becoming "foolish consistencies" always hangs in the air.

I don't think Don will look for anyone else. Here's what I think: Deacon was invited, at least in part, to win over any reticent fans who they feared wouldn't come without Glenn there. They realize now most fans have no problem attending a show without Glenn. Now they can feel free to continue without Deacon, and without a "blood" replacement.

CAinOH
06-19-2019, 01:59 PM
Can Otis sing ? Maybe he plans on Otis taking Deacon's place. As crazy as it sounds(and I know it's crazy), I would not but anything past them. And Austin, nor would I be surprised if just Vince tours after Deacon leaves. The fans are use to him now, and from various posts on Eagles FB pages, many fans consider Vince an Eagle now.

How old is Otis now - 16 or 17. I guess he must be tutored to be on the tour with them. Shun, what did Otis say in his interview. I notice he closed his Instagram account.

Otis is 17. He moved his Instagram account to @otisfreyofficial. I don't think Otis is looking to be in that part of the Eagles... but that's just guessing on my part.

sodascouts
06-19-2019, 02:32 PM
Also. Erica hinted to stay tune about VetsAid in November and Vegas concert (meaning if she will be there). Is Don coming back to Veteran Aid (not saying this is true) or is she helping out Joe?

I'm curious about this, too. I'm surprised they haven't started selling tickets for it yet. Maybe they're still trying to cement performers for it so they can advertise it effectively and maximize ticket sales. Certainly, with Don on board, they'd sell more tickets for the vets. He knows that, so he'll probably do it unless he has another commitment. He is a generous man in that regard.

shunlvswx
06-19-2019, 02:46 PM
I'm curious about this, too. I'm surprised they haven't started selling tickets for it yet. Maybe they're still trying to cement performers for it so they can advertise it effectively and maximize ticket sales. Certainly, with Don on board, they'd sell more tickets for the vets. He knows that, so he'll probably do it unless he has another commitment. He is a generous man in that regard.

Plus he's right there in Texas. That's a hop, skip and a jump on the plane to Houston. I'm guessing an hour flight. I don't know how long it take to get there on plane. So I wouldn't be surprised if he's back again this year. I doubt he has anything else in November unless he's doing a private show.

They probably will announced who's playing VetsAid something next month.

WalshFan88
06-19-2019, 03:08 PM

Oh I don’t think Don cares at this point...

WalshFan88
06-19-2019, 03:09 PM

I don’t think so NKIT but I don’t know for sure.

The idea that some might consider Vince an Eagle makes me all kinds of queasy! So icky to me.

WalshFan88
06-19-2019, 03:10 PM
I saw an interview(print) years ago with Bob where he said he let Chevy use his song because his Dad had worked at GM as an engineer.

Very cool. Yeah Detroit is GM town for sure.

WalshFan88
06-19-2019, 03:10 PM
I know Don said he wouldn't continue the "Eagles" without "blood," but Don says a lot of things. The possibility of such statements becoming "foolish consistencies" always hangs in the air.

I don't think Don will look for anyone else. Here's what I think: Deacon was invited, at least in part, to win over any reticent fans who they feared wouldn't come without Glenn there. They realize now most fans have no problem attending a show without Glenn. Now they can feel free to continue without Deacon, and without a "blood" replacement.

Agree entirely with you Soda. I always thought Deacon was the bait in a way.

WalshFan88
06-19-2019, 03:11 PM
Otis is 17. He moved his Instagram account to @otisfreyofficial. I don't think Otis is looking to be in that part of the Eagles... but that's just guessing on my part.

I would agree with that.

WalshFan88
06-19-2019, 03:13 PM
Yeah my guess is that Henley will do VetsAid again.

chaim
06-19-2019, 03:32 PM
Yeah, I don't believe either that Don PERSONALLY thinks they need "the blood" to go on as "Eagles". Even before they started this thing with Deacon and Vince he was talking about how people might see it ("it would only appear as greed" or whatever it was he said). So I too believe that he thinks "the blood" makes it more acceptable for us consumers.

Delilah
06-19-2019, 04:01 PM
Plus he's right there in Texas. That's a hop, skip and a jump on the plane to Houston. I'm guessing an hour flight. I don't know how long it take to get there on plane. So I wouldn't be surprised if he's back again this year. I doubt he has anything else in November unless he's doing a private show.

They probably will announced who's playing VetsAid something next month.

It’s been awhile since I’ve flown from Houston to Dallas but an hour flight sounds about right. If Don is involved I will definitely try to go. I wouldn’t bet on his touring a whole lot more in the future, either with the band or solo.

sodascouts
06-19-2019, 04:17 PM
Yeah, I don't believe either that Don PERSONALLY thinks they need "the blood" to go on as "Eagles". Even before they started this thing with Deacon and Vince he was talking about how people might see it ("it would only appear as greed" or whatever it was he said). So I too believe that he thinks "the blood" makes it more acceptable for us consumers.

Agreed. Still, he framed it in very personal terms.

From Rolling Stone:

RS: Did you ever question whether it was right to continue without Glenn?
Don: Yes, I did. The only way it felt justified to me was to have family blood in the band.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/don-henley-talks-hotel-california-reissue-eagles-future-129638/

Only we hardcores remember things like this, though. No one would call him on it. The audience doesn't care. They will buy the tickets no matter what. The only thing he has to answer to is his conscience. In other words, he has to leave all that money on the table for no other reason than that it's the right thing to do. That takes a LOT of strength, more than most people have, frankly. Could he find that kind of strength now, when he couldn't find it after Glenn died?

sodascouts
06-19-2019, 04:41 PM
It’s been awhile since I’ve flown from Houston to Dallas but an hour flight sounds about right. If Don is involved I will definitely try to go. I wouldn’t bet on his touring a whole lot more in the future, either with the band or solo.

I'm going regardless. It's for a good cause and I get to visit my parents. I don't have a problem supporting solo efforts - I want to encourage them! I've already submitted an abstract analyzing the presentation of British culture in the BBC productions of Shakespeare's Henriad to a conference and I'm waiting on word, but the odds are good it will be accepted (not to jinx it). These guys have really helped me beef up my CV with all the papers I present in order to travel for concerts. It's 100% legit, too, as the school benefits from my work and they don't care what I do with my evenings after I finish my presentation.

WalshFan88
06-19-2019, 10:31 PM

Absolutely. He might kind of have to worry that if he's planning to go on without Deacon, that it might affect sales. Sadly, I don't think it will matter to him who's up there as long as they can sing good and he's still making money. Who knows. Maybe Don will do the right thing and call it quits. Or maybe Deacon's last stop comment meant that they all decided to wrap it up as a band after Vegas. And who's to say how long the "Vegas last stop" will go on for. Only time will tell. I'm betting that if given the chance, DH will at least try a run of Deacon-less shows to see how people react to it in terms of sales. I highly doubt he'll get another singer to replace Deacon at this point. He won't want to waste time with auditions, rehearsals, etc. He'll probably just have Vince Gill take over Deacon's lead vocal songs and try that for a while.

WalshFan88
06-19-2019, 10:42 PM
Only we hardcores remember things like this, though. No one would call him on it. The audience doesn't care. They will buy the tickets no matter what. The only thing he has to answer to is his conscience. In other words, he has to leave all that money on the table for no other reason than that it's the right thing to do. That takes a LOT of strength, most than most people have, frankly. Could he find that kind of strength now, when he couldn't find it after Glenn died?

If he does, one can either take that to mean he's gained some sense of doing the right thing or now feels remorse, and/or realizes that it wouldn't be right without Deacon there and that it's just time to call it quits finally. Another way to look at it, the more grim view, is that he didn't think that much of Glenn or at least wasn't that bothered by the death of their leader and long time bandmate and brother passing away, but yet was ok with stopping because his son decided to move on and he realized he couldn't sell tickets anymore without him up there so he felt like he had to make that decision out of having no other option.

I won't lie, I would at the very least ponder the possibility of the 2nd scenario. Actually Don is in a bad spot now if it's true about Deacon leaving. If he stops the band, people like me will wonder about why he didn't for Glenn but yet would for Deacon (torn between a good possibility and a bad possibility), and if he continues without him people (including me) will be very upset that he didn't mean the whole blood thing, etc etc.

sodascouts
06-20-2019, 03:17 PM
While so far I think the posts have been relevant, I do fear we may be tempted to go down a certain rabbit hole (myself included), so just a reminder: we have these two threads set aside for that. Let's not get into it here:

"The Band is Continuing to Tour without Glenn - How Do You Feel About That" aka Round and Round We Go
(https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?7389-Looks-like-The-Band-is-on-a-full-fledged-tour-next-year!-How-do-you-feel-about-that)
"For Those Who Say No Glenn, No Legit Eagles" aka Venting (https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?7347-For-Those-Saying-Glenn-Frey-is-Necessary-to-the-Eagles-no-Glenn-no-legit-Eagles)

sodascouts
06-20-2019, 04:00 PM
One more thing related to where we got the news - I took a gander at Otis' instagram - it seems he is doing hardcore promotion now via social media. So for those of us who have been around a while and have gotten used to the mindset that we should not mess with the kids' social media, in his case, we have to readjust. If you are into these "Eagles", you should be following him. Oh my gosh, he is working it. Dang.

WalshFan88
06-20-2019, 04:10 PM
One more thing related to where we got the news - I took a gander at Otis' instagram - it seems he is doing hardcore promotion now via social media. So for those of us who have been around a while and have gotten used to the mindset that we should not mess with the kids' social media, in his case, we have to readjust. If you are into these "Eagles", you should be following him. Oh my freaking gosh, he is working it. Dang.

It kind of just makes me shake my head, honestly. They have a 17 year old doing their promotional work now. LOL! Otis, Deacon, Will, and whoever else. It's just too much IMO.

But yes, if you like 3.0 you'll want to follow Deacon and Otis on IG and Twitter for sure. That's where you'll get the news. It certainly won't be from Uncle Don, seeing how he is so stuck in the past with social media and YouTube, etc. In fact, while I'm sure that Otis has clearance to do what he does, I have to wonder how Henley feels about it. He is usually so stuffy about these kinds of things, I'm surprised he ok'd it.

sodascouts
06-20-2019, 04:39 PM
It kind of just makes me shake my head, honestly. They have a 17 year old doing their promotional work now. LOL! Otis, Deacon, Will, and whoever else. It's just too much IMO.

But yes, if you like 3.0 you'll want to follow Deacon and Otis on IG and Twitter for sure. That's where you'll get the news. It certainly won't be from Uncle Don, seeing how he is so stuck in the past with social media and YouTube, etc. In fact, while I'm sure that Otis has clearance to do what he does, I have to wonder how Henley feels about it. He is usually so stuffy about these kinds of things, I'm surprised he ok'd it.

Have you seen how freaking lame their official social media is, with the exception of Joe? I went looking for their Twitter to link to it and they don't even have one (didn't they used to?), much less an instagram! As for their Facebook, they just post generic ads whenever they release something.

They are lucky he is doing something. Maybe nobody told Don. :lol:

If Don is like my dad (and they're about the same age), he will never understand the appeal of social media, and he will always view it with fear and loathing. Meanwhile, my mom gets on Facebook every day. :shrug:

CAinOH
06-20-2019, 05:14 PM
Have you seen how freaking lame their official social media is, with the exception of Joe? I went looking for their Twitter to link to it and they don't even have one (didn't they used to?), much less an instagram! As for their Facebook, they just post generic ads whenever they release something.

If Don is like my dad (and they're about the same age), he will never understand the appeal of social media, and he will always view it with fear and loathing. Meanwhile, my mom gets on Facebook everyday. :shrug:

And if you signed up for the newsletter on their site, don't expect to ever get one.

WalshFan88
06-20-2019, 05:28 PM

If Don is like my dad (and they're about the same age), he will never understand the appeal of social media, and he will always view it with fear and loathing. Meanwhile, my mom gets on Facebook everyday. :shrug:

Oh absolutely! Joe has a good social media presence, especially when he was doing his solo tour.

Yeah, they used to have an Eagles Twitter but not anymore. And yes - OMG the ads. It's basically like an advertisement page. They don't use it to share anything of value.

Haha, if no one told Don I really hope for Otis' sake he never finds out! I'd hate to think he'd rip on him. He's doing them a favor actually by bringing them into the 21st century. I think in the case of Don, he has always been too stuffy and philosophical, even when he was younger - especially about the time his solo career started. I mean, I don't think David Geffen is some sort of angel, but he clocked it with "malcontent".

I think old men tend to be stuck in their ways. I certainly hope to never be a curmudgeon! The "get off my lawn" types amuse me. It's like "oh god gramps - just go back inside and watch your Mary Tyler Moore reruns!". I'm all for respecting of elders, but I think it's a two way street. It's one thing to not want to partake in something, it's another to try to not let anyone else either because of your antiquated viewpoint.

edwardd19
06-21-2019, 12:07 PM
Randy Meisner wil be playing try and love again
:hug:

sodascouts
06-21-2019, 04:01 PM
Randy Meisner wil be playing try and love again
:hug:

That would certainly be a surprise move that would delight fans.

I think it's more likely Vince Gill will be singing it, though, and Randy will not be joining them.

Unless I've missed something....?

chaim
06-21-2019, 04:40 PM
That would certainly be a surprise move that would delight fans.

I think it's more likely Vince Gill will be singing it, though, and Randy will not be joining them.

Unless I've missed something....?

I think it was a wishful thinking kind of joke. Randy joining to sing/play his song would be the only thing from the current band I'd be interested in looking at!

LakeMIGal
06-22-2019, 12:26 AM
[QUOTE=New Kid In Town;384440]Hi Groupie - how are you ?
Wow, I am surprised with that news. I do not think Tim will do TALA - he said he would never sing any Randy songs. So, I guess that means Vince will sing it. Can you imagine how much thos tickets will cost.[
[I paid over $400.00 And I am not even close to the stage.....but....I love 'em….. what can I say. Might be my last time to see Don Henley and the Eagles...:smitten:]

sodascouts
06-22-2019, 01:14 AM
I paid over $400.00 And I am not even close to the stage.....but....I love 'em….. what can I say. Might be my last time to see Don Henley and the Eagles...:smitten:

Welcome!

Brooke
06-24-2019, 03:54 PM

If Don is like my dad (and they're about the same age), he will never understand the appeal of social media, and he will always view it with fear and loathing. Meanwhile, my mom gets on Facebook every day. :shrug:

This just made me laugh! This is my husband and me soooooo much! :rolleyes: :lol:

CAinOH
09-28-2019, 07:51 PM
Review of last night's concert in Vegas along with a set list:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/the-eagles-soar-and-perform-hotel-california-for-the-first-time-in-its-entirety-in-las-vegas/ar-AAHZd2V?li=BBnbhK0

Timothy sang "Tequila Sunrise".

LuvTim
09-28-2019, 08:59 PM
Review of last night's concert in Vegas along with a set list:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/the-eagles-soar-and-perform-hotel-california-for-the-first-time-in-its-entirety-in-las-vegas/ar-AAHZd2V?li=BBnbhK0

Timothy sang "Tequila Sunrise".
:smitten:
Thanks, CAinOH. I wish I could have been there.

09-29-2019, 11:34 PM
Thanks for the research, CA.

WalshFan88
09-30-2019, 06:21 AM
Thanks for that, CA.

One can hope that they are finally done going out as "Eagles" after this run of Vegas HC shows.

Deacon is going to be (thankfully) moving on, and I think it's time to put this baby to bed, Don! I really hope he doesn't try to go out with Vince and keep doing shows. If he does, one could take his whole "blood" comment and realize it wasn't worth the paper it was wrote on. Hopefully he'll do the right thing here and call it quits. But he's certainly gone back on his word before, so who knows. Nothing will surprise me anymore when it comes to Don Henley and the 3.0 band. If he came out and said they were going to tour with Big Bird from Sesame Street I probably wouldn't bat an eye at this point and I'd likely believe it.

Until proven otherwise, they will keep playing shows - even without Deacon Frey. And my gut tells me they won't try and add another singer. They'll split the GF vocals between Vince and Timothy. I think Timothy singing Tequila Sunrise was a test - to see if he could do it so that when Deacon leaves, they can keep the cash cow alive as long as possible. It's plain as the nose on his face. No doubt in my mind that it was to see if Timothy could do some Glenn material so that when Deacon does leave (good on Deacon!), they can continue. They'll move Vince to center stage and have him start singing more rockers like AG, and give Timothy some more of the softer vocal stuff. It's not too far fetched at this point to ponder this. If someone believes Don Henley's word verbatim at this point - I've got some oceanfront property in Arizona for you.

Don Henley: Great songwriter? Check. Great vocalist with one of the best voices in rock history? Check. Someone you can trust or rely on if your life depended on it? Not a chance! Sorry Don, but I've been burned by your "word" too many times. I'm not saying you are an outright pathological liar, but you are a revisionist at best, misguided at worst when it comes to your decision making and changing your mind to fit. I think you are too easily won over by dollars waving in your face and Irving on your door. I think self-control is perhaps not one of his strong suits where money gets involved in his decision making/doing what's right. Irving Azoff is manipulative and greedy, I have no doubt. But that's still no excuse IMO. He manages you. You don't manage him. He's working for you, not vice versa. Although it doesn't seem that way. You can tell him to kick rocks now and again and if he values you as a client, he's not going to drop you and go sulk in the corner. He'll realize that his manipulative strategies and monies offered doesn't penetrate you.

Even though our music tastes are likely polar opposites, I'm very interested and curious what Deacon will be pursuing after he leaves the Eagle nest. He may not do music. It may be acting or something else entirely. Whatever it is, I wish him well and I also congratulate him on his decision. I think it is one that will serve him well. If he does pursue music, certainly his Eagles experience will pay off for him. I still think one should work their way up the ladder and not get started at the top as an easy way in, but regardless having that time under his belt will make other endeavors a lot more fruitful and likely to be taken seriously.

09-30-2019, 05:50 PM
Woah! I sure must have missed something. How in the world did that happen? When did Deacon announce that he wouldn't be continuing with the band after the Vegas shows?

WalshFan88
09-30-2019, 07:06 PM
Woah! I sure must have missed something. How in the world did that happen? When did Deacon announce that he wouldn't be continuing with the band after the Vegas shows?

It was on his Instagram stories a couple months ago on his official account. He was doing a Q&A/ask me anything type thing. He said he was done after Vegas. I think there was a comment in a thread here talking about it. I first heard about it on a Facebook group by someone who had screenshotted it, and then I went over to Deacon's Instagram Stories and saw it.

He and Otis (who is now like the Eagles social media person, lol) are very active on that app.

09-30-2019, 10:48 PM
Thanks for setting me straight, Austin. I have been really busy lately, but I still don't know how that news escaped me. I so hope that the guys will hang this up, and pursue other options, but I fear you could be right. :pray: :pray: :pray:

groupie2686
10-01-2019, 12:02 AM
I can't say much because I'm on my phone, but I truly hope they're done and move on with this, but I agree with Austin, having Timothy do Tequila Sunrise could have been a trial run.

I almost read a review of the show but couldn't bring myself to do it. The Hotel California album without Glenn (or, frankly, Felder) is something I have no interest in.

chaim
10-01-2019, 05:06 AM
Timothy won't sing a Randy song, but he will sing a Glenn song? Perhaps he can now sing TITTL since Glenn had been singing it.

Brooke
10-01-2019, 02:13 PM
I missed that about Deacon quitting too!

I really hope the band hangs it up. I hope they go and do their own thing rather that keep this up. I don't know though, money talks!