PDA

View Full Version : Randy’s solo version of TALA on China Beach soundtrack

Delilah
04-09-2019, 10:56 AM
Does anyone remember watching the TV series China Beach? I watched it now and then but was not a regular viewer.

Well, the Eagles’ Try and Love Again was apparently played on the last episode(!). As it turns out however, the HC version is not on the soundtrack for the DVD series. The producers had to find alternatives when they couldn’t get licensing rights to some of the music originally used for the series. The music was such an integral part of the show’s storyline.

When they couldn't come to terms on The Isley Brothers' "Shout," they replaced it with Dion & the Belmonts' cover version. The Eagles' "Try and Love Again" is replaced with another version recorded by former Eagle Randy Meisner, who wrote the song in the first place. Petula Clark's "Downtown" is replaced with a sound-alike version. And so on. Of the 62 episodes, apparently only about 30 seconds of actual show had to be cut, a brief scene in which one character quotes lyrics from The Beatles' "Hey Jude."

I wonder if it’s the live version from the Dallas concert?

https://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/61151/china-beach-the-complete-series/

NightMistBlue
04-09-2019, 01:21 PM
I'm thinking it would have to be the live version. Maybe Netflix has it! BRB.

No, it looks as though they only have the first two season.

I never watched the show, even tho I like Dana Delany and Marg Helgenberger.

CAinOH
04-09-2019, 01:28 PM
We watched that show every week. Such a good show.

The last season is available from our library. I've got it on hold now.

NightMistBlue
04-09-2019, 03:19 PM
Let us know what you hear when you watch the final episode, CAinOH!

NightMistBlue
04-09-2019, 07:25 PM
It’s about 37 minutes in, and it’s the Eagles version. https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4vsoby?fbclid=IwAR1BmgVRNKt8h07rECje-E67M31CTgNi3FSUFl5Bh9szsvcAH7RKMbAZJlk

Derk
04-10-2019, 12:02 AM
I was surprised they played so much of it, usually TV shows really cut 'em up.

Delilah
04-10-2019, 12:33 PM
It’s about 37 minutes in, and it’s the Eagles version. https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4vsoby?fbclid=IwAR1BmgVRNKt8h07rECje-E67M31CTgNi3FSUFl5Bh9szsvcAH7RKMbAZJlk

Excellent! As Derek said, quite a bit of it was played, which was nice.

CAinOH, I’d like to know what you hear on the DVD as well. Are you familiar with Randy’s solo version from his Live in Dallas ​concert?

CAinOH
04-10-2019, 02:17 PM
CAinOH, I’d like to know what you hear on the DVD as well. Are you familiar with Randy’s solo version from his Live in Dallas ​concert?

No, I'm afraid I'm not.

Delilah
04-10-2019, 02:43 PM
No, I'm afraid I'm not.

You may be in for a surprise. He sounds quite different.

Speaking of surprises, I thought the Eagles were really strict about licensing their music out, especially for a TV show. I think the only other time was when Journey of the Sorcerer was used for the Hitchhiker’s Guide theme song. Maybe they felt these songs were obscure enough not to really matter.

East Texas Girl
04-11-2019, 01:10 PM
That is so cool, thanks for finding it Delilah!! I used to watch the show pretty regularly but do not remember much off the top of my head. Maybe I should look into it again. :wink:

Delilah
04-14-2019, 04:11 PM
You’re welcome, ETG. I remember being impressed by the few episodes I saw. Maybe I’ll binge watch it some time.