PDA

View Full Version : Patrick Swayze Diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer

sodascouts
03-05-2008, 07:19 PM
How horrible. He's only 55. His character in Dirty Dancing was my first adolescent crush. I wanted to be Jennifer Grey!

Click for news item on AOL (Full story) (http://news.aol.com/entertainment/movies/movie-news-story/ar/_a/swayze-diagnosed-with-pancreatic-cancer/20080305115909990001)

Let's hope that he's one of the 4% who beat it.

Glennsallnighter
03-05-2008, 07:29 PM
Oh thats awful. Gosh I really hope he does make it. He's still so young. And I loved 'Dirty Dancing' too!

katherine5832
03-05-2008, 07:40 PM
That is very sad. It brings back memories of when Michael Landon was diagnosed with it. Unfortunately, he was gone within 3 months of being diagnosed. I was a huge Little House on the Prairie fan when I was younger (okay, I still am :blush: ) and was crushed when he died. I really hope Patrick Swayze beats this.

Glennsallnighter
03-05-2008, 08:04 PM
Oh I LOVED Little House on the Prairie as well Katherine. I watched it (and all the reruns) for years! I too was very sorry when I heard Micheal Landon had died.

Freypower
03-05-2008, 08:29 PM
The story I saw said that he's been given weeks.

Ive always been a dreamer
03-05-2008, 08:50 PM
OMG - this is horrible news. The story for the link that Soda posted had a more positive prognosis, so we can only hope that Patrick can beat this.

timfan
03-05-2008, 09:08 PM
FP I saw the same story but now his representative is saying that the people that wrote that story ( a tabloid) "exagerated" his looning demise.

I sure hope he makes it. He has always been one of my favorite actors and Dirty Dancing to theis day is my favorite movie!!

My fav scene from the movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhmOEkBJx8c

DonFan
03-05-2008, 10:46 PM
I was very surprised to hear this news tonight as well. Hopefully they have caught the disease in the early stages and Patrick will respond to treatment.

He was wonderful in Dirty Dancing (thanks for the clip, TF) AND Ghost!

Mrs Frey
03-06-2008, 03:05 AM
This is the first I hear of this. Oh, I'm so sorry for Patrick and his family and I truly hope that he can pull through this. I remember how popular "Dirty Dancing" was when I was a prepubescent, although it took me a few years before I really appreciated the film. Patrick has always appeared fit and healthy to me, and this really comes as a shock. The number of people affected by cancer is frightening.

tbs fanatic
03-06-2008, 12:25 PM
That is sad to hear. I'm glad his doctors are saying he is responding well to treatment. Loved him in Dirty Dancing. What is it lately with all our favorite guys being treated for various cancer problems? It's been one after another lately.

Brooke
03-06-2008, 04:23 PM
Man, sad news indeed. I hope he has good luck fighting it.

I loved Dirty Dancing and Ghost, too! Great movies!

rcknalwys
03-06-2008, 07:30 PM
Such sad news. Hope he beats this thing and all my best goes out to Patrick and his family. We've lost so many great ones in the past few months. He was always very healthy and fit, so this just shows how cancer can strike anyone. I've always loved to watch his movies, even back as far as Red Dawn, not all of them were as great as Dirty Dancing and Ghost, but he always gave it his best.

EasyFeeling
03-09-2008, 07:05 AM
I've heard about it in the news, this is tragical. :( I really hope he can beat the cancer but let's face it, this type of cancer is probably one of the worst so I don't think it will turn out well for him. :(

Glennsallnighter
03-18-2008, 06:40 PM
I'm sorry I read this thread at all. Yesterday a friend and colleague of my hubby's phoned to say that he too has been diagnosed with this type of cancer :( . They will be operating in the next few weeks but apparently its position will make the surgery tricky. Please say a prayer for him. His youngest kid is only a month or so older than Timtot.

glenneaglesfan
03-19-2008, 04:49 AM
This is very sad news. I hope he does respond to the treatment.

sodascouts
03-19-2008, 08:26 AM
I'll say a prayer for him, as well as his family. Hopefully the operation will be successful.

Molly
03-19-2008, 08:51 PM
I'm sorry I read this thread at all. Yesterday a friend and colleague of my hubby's phoned to say that he too has been diagnosed with this type of cancer :( . They will be operating in the next few weeks but apparently its position will make the surgery tricky. Please say a prayer for him. His youngest kid is only a month or so older than Timtot.

Stay positive :) ! There are so many variables with cancer and so many kinds of treatment available -you just never know!

I'll keep him and his family in my thoughts.

Glennsallnighter
03-30-2008, 12:43 PM

Well sadly the news is not good. They opened him up on Tuesday last and realised that they couldn't do anything. The tumour was just too bis apparently. So they just closed him up again. If he responds to Chemotherapy he has about 9 months left. If not it could be as little as 3. Please pray for him again. Thanks.

Hubby got an awful shock and it didn't help that he got this news on his (hubby's) 40th Birthday as well. Makes you realise just how fragile life really is. Nothing can be taken for granted. :(

rcknalwys
03-30-2008, 01:19 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this GAN. I'm sure all of us here on the board will be praying for your husband's friend, and hope the chemo is successful. You are so right, we can take nothing for granted in this life.

Brooke
03-30-2008, 02:39 PM
I'm so sorry to hear your friend's bad news, Ga. He will be in my thoughts and prayers, too.

sodascouts
03-30-2008, 06:05 PM
Me too, GA. Hopefully the chemo will be successful, but how scary and difficult for everyone involved.

Mrs Frey
03-31-2008, 08:53 AM
GA, you know how I reacted when you broke this news to me. It's devastating both for your friend and your husband. I've been going through similar things with my friend, who thankfully seems to be doing a little better, but it's a long, difficult road for her to travel before anything can be determined. All we can do is pray. I can't express how sorry I am for your friend.

DonFan
03-31-2008, 09:13 AM
I am sorry for this latest bad news about your friend, GA.

Molly
03-31-2008, 05:37 PM
I'm sorry for your friend's bad news, GA. I'm keeping him and his family in my prayers.

Glennsallnighter
03-31-2008, 06:34 PM
Thanks to everybody for the support. P will be visiting him on Wednesday (he's not really ready for visitors yet although he IS home, but he has been asking that P come and see him), so I suppose we'll know more then. In the meantime thanks to each and every one of you for your thoughts and prayers.
:grouphug:

MF I know your friend was at a work function last week, and while I appreciate that she is far from well I'm glad that there seems to be an improvement in her condition. Hopefully this will sustain her through the rest of her treatment. Thanks for your support :hug:

Molly
04-01-2008, 07:29 AM
Thanks to everybody for the support. P will be visiting him on Wednesday (he's not really ready for visitors yet although he IS home, but he has been asking that P come and see him), so I suppose we'll know more then. In the meantime thanks to each and every one of you for your thoughts and prayers.
:grouphug:

MF I know your friend was at a work function last week, and while I appreciate that she is far from well I'm glad that there seems to be an improvement in her condition. Hopefully this will sustain her through the rest of her treatment. Thanks for your support :hug:

Just stay positive, guys, and enjoy every minute you can with your friends. This time last year, things looked so bleak for my sister. The news sounded soooo bad, I was sure she wouldn't be with us for long. Last week Tuesday, we celebrated her birthday (along with my son's -they share a b-day!)! So, you just never know. She's far from being well -but she's still here and that alone is something to celebrate!!

sodascouts
04-01-2008, 12:30 PM
Thanks for the update, Molly. I know every day is precious.

Glennsallnighter
04-01-2008, 03:30 PM
Thats wonderful Molly that she was able to celebrate another birthday, and I'm sure a boost for herself. We can all only hope and pray for those who are in need of it.

Hubby's friend's wife called today to postpone the visit scheduled for tomorrow. Apparently he is still just not up to it. I'm amazed that they let him out of hospital at all! But things according to P don't look good at all.

glenneaglesfan
04-01-2008, 06:45 PM
GA, I'm so sorry to hear about Paul's friend. That is desperately sad. We'll be praying for him and his family through the hard times ahead.

Molly, I know what your sister has been through, but it was good to hear about her celebrating her birthday last week. We must all enjoy those special moments.

Mrs Frey
04-02-2008, 02:53 AM
GA, I'm so sorry that your hubby's friend is so ill. His family must be reeling from his sudden and devastating deterioration.

Molly, I'm glad that you can still celebrate with your sister. I hope she will still be with you for a long time, and I wish you all strength.

Glennsallnighter
08-25-2008, 05:27 PM
Can you guys start praying again please. Hubby phoned this evening to see how Mark is. It is not looking good. Marks dad took the call, said he couldn't take the phone and that its only a matter of time. The family have been told not to leave the house. Things are not looking good.....:-(.

Thanks girls and guys. :grouphug:

GlennLover
08-25-2008, 06:06 PM
My prayers are with your friend & his family (and you & your husband as well).

ticky
08-25-2008, 06:18 PM
Gan, Im so sorry. Mark and his family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Brooke
08-25-2008, 06:24 PM
Same here, Ga. I'm so sorry.

sodascouts
08-25-2008, 06:49 PM
How devastating. Mark and his family are in my prayers, too.

Glennsallnighter
08-26-2008, 06:04 AM
Mark died early this morning, peacefully at home with his family around him. I'm sure everyone's prayers and thoughts made the transition easier for him. Thank you all so much for everything. I'm sure his family would be comforted to know that people all round the world have been and are continuing to pray for them. His funeral will be later this week.

I suppose the song 'Live like you were Dying' is appropriate here. Mark did indeed live a very full life right up to the end and even recently had a book published. May he Rest in Peace now.

TimothyBFan
08-26-2008, 07:55 AM
GA--I am so very sorry for you and your husband's loss. My thoughts are with Marks family.

ticky
08-26-2008, 10:23 AM
GAN ~ :grouphug: Im sorry for your pain and Mark's families pain. Mark's pain is gone now. God Belss.

glenneaglesfan
08-26-2008, 01:43 PM
GA, I'm so sad to hear about Mark's death. We'll all be thinking about his family and friends. What a loss.

Brooke
08-26-2008, 03:16 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this, Ga. At least he is at peace now. I know it will be hard for his family and yours and you will miss him terribly. You all are in my thoughts and prayers.

sodascouts
08-26-2008, 04:27 PM
How tragic; at least he's not in pain anymore. I continue to pray for the family.

GlennLover
08-26-2008, 04:50 PM
I'm so sorry to hear the sad news. My father died of the same thing many years ago & I know how he suffered. At least Mark has been relieved of that suffering. I also know first hand what the family is probably going through. God be with them all.

Mrs Frey
08-28-2008, 07:15 AM
GA, you know how sorry I am about Mark, and how much I feel for his family. God bless them and give them the strength to see them through this difficult time. God bless you and your husband too, as I know how much this has hurt you. :hug: :hug: :hug:

GL, I'm so sorry that you lost your father to cancer. I lost my mother just a little over two years ago the same way, and I have a friend who has it, and has been battling it since late last year. She was in remission, but the cancer has returned, and the prognosis is not positive, even though she is looking better than she has in months.

Everybody, please pray for my friend. She is in her late thirties, has two young children and a doting husband. She is probably one of the most positive people I have ever met, and is an inspiration to all in the way she deals with the blows dealt to her. Her sister also has cancer. She is very spiritual and believes that everything is in God's hands.

ticky
08-28-2008, 07:32 AM
Mrs. F
Your Friend is in my thoughts and Prayers

DonFan
08-28-2008, 09:00 AM
Mrs. F, your friend and her sister are in my prayers.

Mrs Henley
08-28-2008, 11:49 AM
Mrs. Frey, your friend and her sister are in my prayers too.

GlennLover
08-28-2008, 03:12 PM
Mrs. Frey, I'll be praying.

Brooke
08-28-2008, 04:16 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your friends, too, Mrs F and will keep her in my thoughts, too.

sodascouts
08-28-2008, 04:23 PM
I will pray for your friend, too, MF.

Glennsallnighter
08-29-2008, 03:52 AM
Thank you all for your prayers and messages of support both public and private for Mark and his family. I attended the wake on Wednesday, but with his home a 2 hr drive each way and my child minding situation here I was unable to attend the actual funeral yesterday, although I would have wanted to be there. Apparently as we say over here 'He got a great send off' and was buried with full Brigade honours, being a serving officer of Dublin Fire Brigade. I believe the 'Officer In Charge' of proceedings did an excellent job and was commended by many. Please keep Mark's family in your prayers as they struggle to come to terms with their loss. He was a wonderful man, filled with energy to the end, and his care of and interest in other people and their problems led him to studying Psychology and becoming a counsellor for people in the FB with problems. Much of his counselling he did in his spare time. He was on the go, right up to the end. May he Rest in Peace

GL, I'm sorry too to hear that your dad had this awful illness. I suppose there is a small consolation in knowing that he is at peace now, and out of pain.

And MF, you know I was shocked last week when you gave me the bad news of your friend. While we all knew it would be a difficult and uphill battle for her I had hoped that somehow her faith and positive attitude would have helped her beat this for once and for all. And I really thought she had beaten the odds. I hope now that this helps sustain her and keep her healthy as long as is possible. But what a rotten hand fate has dealt her and her family. I will keep them and her sister in my prayers too. And this is for you:hug:

Mrs Frey
08-29-2008, 06:59 AM
Thank you all so much, ladies. God bless you all. My friend would really appreciate all your thoughts and prayers.

GA, you know I will keep praying for Mark's family. He seems to have been a wonderful and selfless person, which makes it that much harder for those for whom he made a difference in life.

DonFan
01-08-2009, 07:36 PM
Did anyone see Patrick and his wife Lisa on the Barbara Walters special last night? Although he looked very thin, he & Lisa looked very sweet together, and I was so moved by their description of how they are dealing with this. I admired Patrick's honesty and his courage in fighting his disease. He is responding to treatment and has already lived longer than most people in stage 4 cancer, and he vowed to fight it with every breath.

As I watched the show I was thinking about a friend of mine who was diagnosed with the same thing, stage 4 pancreatic cancer, last Sept. I tried to call her this morning to tell her about it, but when I logged on my computer I received an email from her husband telling me she had passed away last night, and I burst into tears. I had just talked to her over Christmas and I thought she was holding her own, so this was quite a shock. She only lived three months after the diagnosis.

I wish someone would eradicate the word CANCER completely! I am so tired of losing friends and loved ones to this horrible disease!

Glennsallnighter
01-08-2009, 08:42 PM
Did anyone see Patrick and his wife Lisa on the Barbara Walters special last night? Although he looked very thin, he & Lisa looked very sweet together, and I was so moved by their description of how they are dealing with this. I admired Patrick's honesty and his courage in fighting his disease. He is responding to treatment and has already lived longer than most people in stage 4 cancer, and he vowed to fight it with every breath.

As I watched the show I was thinking about a friend of mine who was diagnosed with the same thing, stage 4 pancreatic cancer, last Sept. I tried to call her this morning to tell her about it, but when I logged on my computer I received an email from her husband telling me she had passed away last night, and I burst into tears. I had just talked to her over Christmas and I thought she was holding her own, so this was quite a shock. She only lived three months after the diagnosis.

I wish someone would eradicate the word CANCER completely! I am so tired of losing friends and loved ones to this horrible disease!

Oh DF! I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend . :-(. This cancer seems to progress quite quickly. I know the same happened with Pauls friend Mark. I totally agree about eradicating the word CANCER! It strikes fear into anyone who is unfortunate enough to be diagnosed with it. I'll keep your friend and her family in my thoughts and prayers. :hug:

sodascouts
01-08-2009, 09:08 PM
I didn't know that Patrick and his wife had gone on Barbara Walters last night, so when I saw this topic had been revived, I feared the worst. I'm relieved he is doing well, but so sorry to hear about your friend, Dana. I pray for her family and continue to hope that one day someone will find a way to cure this disease no matter what form it takes.

Stars
01-08-2009, 11:11 PM
DF, I am also so sorry to hear about your friend's passing. I lost a high school friend, Janet, to pancreatic cancer about five years ago, and I do know how quickly it progresses. I also lost a dear friend to leukemia in October 2007.
Please know my thoughts and prayers are with you. I know you will cherish her memory for the rest of your life. May she rest in peace.

TimothyBFan
01-09-2009, 08:58 AM
DF-I also am so sorry to hear your bad news.

I, like Soda, feared the worst when I saw this topic come back to the top.

My hubby and I went to a movie last weekend and they showed a preview of Patrick's new TV show. I was truly amazed! Yeah, he looked skinny and a little older but I could not believe that he was even able to do a series after how bad I had heard he was early on. What an amazing man.

Ive always been a dreamer
01-09-2009, 11:58 AM
Thanks for the info about this show, DF. I wished I had seen it and glad to hear that Patrick is doing so well. Of course, I wish him the very best in his struggle to conquer this horrible disease.

And DF, I am so sorry to hear about your friend's passing. You and her family are in my thoughts.

DonFan
01-09-2009, 03:48 PM
Thanks so much for all the kind words of support--I appreciate it.
This one really hit close to home, because my friend was only 5 years older than me. I took a long walk yesterday to mourn, listening to my iPod, and when Billy Joel's beautiful song "And So It Goes" came on, I really lost it. They played this song at my daughter's graduation choral concert in tribute to several teens who died that year in a car crash, and I have always associated it with mourning. It is poignant and sad.

"In every heart there is a room, a sanctuary safe and strong
To heal the wounds of lovers past until a new one comes along...

And every time I've held a rose it seems I only felt the thorns
And so it goes and so it goes, and so will you too, I suppose.

So I would chose to be with you, that's if the choice were mine to make
But you can make decisions too and you can have this heart to break.

And so it goes, and so it goes, and you're the only one who knows."

Brooke
01-09-2009, 03:54 PM
I'm so sorry to hear your news, DF. I lost an uncle to pancreatic cancer about 30 year ago. He died within 3 months of his diagnosis. Of course there have been many leaps with this since then, but still the outlook is bleak. I hope they can discover a breakthrough soon.

Glennhoney
01-09-2009, 08:18 PM
..I lost my mother to pancreatic cancer in 2001...she lasted 75 days from diagnosis to her death...she was 76 yrs old ..it must be the most horrible cancer...never curable...though some advances have been made in treatments, I'm afraid it is still always the deadliest of all cancers...

eaglesvet
01-10-2009, 11:17 PM
Thanks so much for all the kind words of support--I appreciate it.
This one really hit close to home, because my friend was only 5 years older than me. I took a long walk yesterday to mourn, listening to my iPod, and when Billy Joel's beautiful song "And So It Goes" came on, I really lost it. They played this song at my daughter's graduation choral concert in tribute to several teens who died that year in a car crash, and I have always associated it with mourning. It is poignant and sad.

"In every heart there is a room, a sanctuary safe and strong
To heal the wounds of lovers past until a new one comes along...

And every time I've held a rose it seems I only felt the thorns
And so it goes and so it goes, and so will you too, I suppose.

So I would chose to be with you, that's if the choice were mine to make
But you can make decisions too and you can have this heart to break.

And so it goes, and so it goes, and you're the only one who knows."
I too offer you my heartfelt condolences on the loss of your friend. It's good you spoke to her over the holidays, and thought she sounded well...hopefully that meant she did not suffer too much at the end. I agree that this song is an emotional one; but it is beautiful, too, and will remind you of how much your friend meant to you.

Peekaboo
01-12-2009, 09:11 AM
I'm truely sorry for the loss of your friend, Dana. My heart goes out to the family during this time. Cancer has struck a few of my family members over the last few years. I lost my grandmother to colon cancer in May of 2006, an aunt to breast cancer in Feb. 2006, and i mentioned in another thread about my cousin's grandmother who passed away a few weeks ago with stomach cancer. It's so crazy how a person can be so healthy and fine for so long and then to all of a sudden get the news about that dreaded word. It's scary.

I saw on the news today that Patrick Swayze was admitted to the hospital the other day for pneumonia. I think they said that it was caused from the treatment for his cancer. I wish him all the best in his recovery.

DonFan
01-12-2009, 04:50 PM
Thanks again, everyone.
I am like you, Peek--cancer has taken so many loved ones. I lost my grandfather to colon cancer, my father to melanoma, one aunt to breast cancer and another aunt to ovarian cancer.

I also heard about Patrick's hospitalization this weekend. I hope he gets better soon.

Glennsallnighter
01-19-2009, 06:20 PM
Well I read today that Patrick has been released from hospital, so hopefully that is a good omen.

DonFan
01-20-2009, 09:40 AM
I read that too, GA. Here's wishing him the best.