Sept. 23 - Frannz Club, Berlin, Germany

https://www.donfelder.com/tour-dates

Thanks for the heads-up!

Glennsallnighter
07-05-2019, 06:58 AM
If he heads here too I might go

thelastresort
07-05-2019, 04:06 PM
Toying with the idea of the London one, would love to see him live but not sure I could put up with the inevitable, erm, interpretations of Eagles classics.

Delilah
07-24-2019, 10:49 PM
Don’s first ever solo concert in the U.K. is now sold out!

https://mobile.twitter.com/donfelder/status/1153688896691007488/photo/1

thelastresort
07-26-2019, 03:22 PM
I'm sure all 15 of the people in the sold out crowd are delighted ;)

WalshFan88
07-26-2019, 05:50 PM
I'm sure all 15 of the people in the sold out crowd are delighted ;)

LOL, TLR!

And I know what you mean about the "arrangements".

I saw Felder a couple years ago open for REO Speedwagon and Styx and I was front row. I absolutely loved hearing him play his classic guitar parts and tearing it up. But I think his vocals don't do him any favors. If he would get a singer, maybe even two - he might have one of the best tribute bands to the Eagles. His band can clearly play the tunes. He can still play the guitar as good as he ever did. But if he would just let his ego go for a bit and get a singer that can do it more authentic to the original songs - I think he'd be much better off. He just could never accept that he wasn't a good singer. Not in the Eagles in the Hotel California album period (trying to sing VOL), and not in 2019 in his own solo band. He thought he could do it all - write songs, sing great, and play great. He does one out of the three, and that's all. And that's perfectly fine. He is a master guitarist and he should be more confident about that and realize that it is totally fine to be able to play great and not be able to sing anything more than basic background vocals.

I probably wouldn't see him again unless someone else was singing, honestly. I always defended Felder saying he never used Auto-Tune but when you hear it up close and personal, it cannot be denied.

thelastresort
07-26-2019, 06:31 PM
LOL, TLR!

And I know what you mean about the "arrangements".

I saw Felder a couple years ago open for REO Speedwagon and Styx and I was front row. I absolutely loved hearing him play his classic guitar parts and tearing it up. But I think his vocals don't do him any favors. If he would get a singer, maybe even two - he might have one of the best tribute bands to the Eagles. His band can clearly play the tunes. He can still play the guitar as good as he ever did. But if he would just let his ego go for a bit and get a singer that can do it more authentic to the original songs - I think he'd be much better off. He just could never accept that he wasn't a good singer. Not in the Eagles in the Hotel California album period (trying to sing VOL), and not in 2019 in his own solo band. He thought he could do it all - write songs, sing great, and play great. He does one out of the three, and that's all. And that's perfectly fine. He is a master guitarist and he should be more confident about that and realize that it is totally fine to be able to play great and not be able to sing anything more than basic background vocals.

I probably wouldn't see him again unless someone else was singing, honestly. I always defended Felder saying he never used Auto-Tune but when you hear it up close and personal, it cannot be denied.

I did toy with the idea of doing the London gig, I certainly could have gone had I wanted, but having seen clips of Felder's solo gigs over the last few years I decided not to for exactly the reason you state. I would love nothing more than to see Don play the opening lines of Hotel California and tear it up on all the other Eagles songs he played lead for, but I just cannot get along with him attempting to sing Don Henley's parts, or the butchered attempts at Seven Bridges Road or Peaceful Easy Feeling, songs he arguably has no natural right to cover at all (of course, he can play what he wants, but you get what I mean...). Yourself and the rest of the forum know how I feel about the latest incarnation of the Eagles and I want to keep my memories of songs seeing songs like Already Gone and Life in the Fast Lane as 'pure' as possible - for exactly the same reason I do not go and watch the current band live I cannot go and see Felder live.

I agree fully he would benefit from having someone who actually has natural vocal talents on board - his astounding talents on guitar (I have seen very few who play with such apparent ease) should be more than enough to make him the star of the show..

WalshFan88
07-28-2019, 12:07 AM
I did toy with the idea of doing the London gig, I certainly could have gone had I wanted, but having seen clips of Felder's solo gigs over the last few years I decided not to for exactly the reason you state. I would love nothing more than to see Don play the opening lines of Hotel California and tear it up on all the other Eagles songs he played lead for, but I just cannot get along with him attempting to sing Don Henley's parts, or the butchered attempts at Seven Bridges Road or Peaceful Easy Feeling, songs he arguably has no natural right to cover at all (of course, he can play what he wants, but you get what I mean...). Yourself and the rest of the forum know how I feel about the latest incarnation of the Eagles and I want to keep my memories of songs seeing songs like Already Gone and Life in the Fast Lane as 'pure' as possible - for exactly the same reason I do not go and watch the current band live I cannot go and see Felder live.

I agree fully he would benefit from having someone who actually has natural vocal talents on board - his astounding talents on guitar (I have seen very few who play with such apparent ease) should be more than enough to make him the star of the show..

Just to let you know, I did respond to this with a rather long winded and rant-y post, but I posted your quote and responded to it in the Don Felder Press thread. My reply wasn't specific to this tour so I went there.

UndertheWire
07-29-2019, 09:57 AM
I feel like I want to defend Don (which may be a first). It's his name on the ticket and if he wants to sing, then it's his choice. Anyone who's doubtful about his singing can listen to the videos on youtube and make up his/her own mind. It's not as if anyone will go into the show with high expectations of his vocals, and he may be a safer option than someone who used to be a good singer but who can no longer reach the notes.

The London show is at a venue with a capacity of just 425, so my guess is this tour is about promoting the new album (and fitting in a a few rounds of golf?) rather than making money. It wouldn't even cover the air fares.

WalshFan88
07-29-2019, 04:35 PM
I feel like I want to defend Don (which may be a first). It's his name on the ticket and if he wants to sing, then it's his choice. Anyone who's doubtful about his singing can listen to the videos on youtube and make up his/her own mind. It's not as if anyone will go into the show with high expectations of his vocals, and he may be a safer option than someone who used to be a good singer but who can no longer reach the notes.

The London show is at a venue with a capacity of just 425, so my guess is this tour is about promoting the new album (and fitting in a a few rounds of golf?) rather than making money. It wouldn't even cover the air fares.

Of course he’s free to sing in his own band (check out my post in the Felder press thread about my thoughts on his ego and need for control, etc), but we can also choose not to go see him. And while some might prefer the safer route, I’d much rather hear someone who can actually sing, even if it means in a lower register than the record. Felder’s voice is so processed that it just doesn’t sound good at all. Also videos can be deceiving. I didn’t think he used Auto-Tune until I heard him live. It was bad.

TEHO.

Delilah
07-30-2019, 03:47 PM

I agree. I’m sure most who purchase tickets do so b/c of his guitar skills, not his vocal prowess. He’s been doing solo shows for awhile so his singing ability shouldn’t be any great surprise.

The pics online show the venue to be quite small but the seating capacity wasn’t clear. Thanks for the info. A gig is a gig, I suppose. It’ll be interesting to see if he does indeed play any songs from his new album.

WalshFan88
07-31-2019, 07:21 PM
I think that it's true that those who go to see Don, especially when not as part of a bill with two better acts (like the recent Styx/REO/Don Felder tour last year or with Foreigner), they will be going to see him for his guitar playing. If you are going to a show to see HIM, by himself, you are going for his guitar playing. Or if you see a triple bill but are most excited to see him out of the 3 - you are going for his guitar skills.

However, if you are seeing him as an opener of other acts you are more excited for but are a fan of the Eagles music and vocals, but maybe don't know much or care about Felder's playing, you might be disappointed with his renditions of the tunes, vocally. That's what I'm saying. If you are seeing DF at your local theatre or opera house by himself with no other acts, you are definitely going for his guitar talents. You will likely walk away happy. But if you see him as an opener for other bigger acts, you are likely going to be disappointed if you are an Eagles fan and a fan of the great vocals of Glenn Frey and Don Henley.

I saw Felder as part of the REO and Styx tour. I was going more for REO and Styx. I've seen REO 3 times now, and Styx 2 times. So while I knew about his guitar playing and was excited, I had the other two acts to fall back on. And I did enjoy REO and Styx a lot more. However, if someone wasn't as excited about hearing Felder play but rather to hear those Eagles hit songs you might be pretty disappointed with his show.

Personally - regardless, when you are covering Eagles tunes as a professional band (not a weekend warrior bar band) - either a tribute band, or as former members, or on your solo shows - I hold those performances to a high standard. I want to hear those vocals done right and done well. I also want to hear the guitars played exact. I don't want to hear someone "try" to attempt Henley or Frey lead vocals.

The only way I'd go see Don Felder again in his current form is as the first act on a triple bill or as an opener for another artist. I wouldn't pay to see a show where it's only him. To each their own.