PDA

View Full Version : Bernie Speaks! A new interview with Mr. Leadon

NightMistBlue
07-05-2019, 11:34 AM
The Canadian broadcaster John Beaudin has a new interview with Bernie Leadon! Oh happy day!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzBBKaXAPvA&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR2rBkKCu6LH5UYTA4KTh-L_kQDyAgZm8tGkX3SERLywi2SzylV98gPuy7A (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzBBKaXAPvA&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR2rBkKCu6LH5UYTA4KTh-L_kQDyAgZm8tGkX3SERLywi2SzylV98gPuy7A)

The segment above is just the first of many. Bernie and John spoke for 77 minutes.

Pleased to hear that Bernie is writing new material and that he's still friends with Glyn Johns, who stayed at Bernie's house recently.

chaim
07-05-2019, 12:31 PM
Amazing!! Thanks!!

My My
07-05-2019, 01:39 PM
Thanks, NMB. I'm looking forward to the rest of the interview. It should be very interesting!

Brooke
07-05-2019, 02:41 PM
Cool! I hope he tells us if he was asked to tour with Eagles 3.0.

thelastresort
07-05-2019, 04:04 PM
Just seen this on my feed now. Absolute blinder, he's my favourite Eagle so the more we hear of him the better as far as I'm concerned. You can never have too much Bernie Leadon :thumbsup:

sodascouts
07-05-2019, 04:19 PM
Wow! How awesome! Now if he would just play a solo show.... I mean, what's he going to do with that new material? They don't say anything about an album. Maybe we'll find out in the next segments when they get released.

I'm fantasizing about him playing in Nashville, and me driving up and attending and getting his autograph and maybe a picture with him and... ok, I need to stop now. lol

Delilah
07-05-2019, 06:35 PM
Thanks so much for the link, NMB. It’s awesome to hear from Bernie! I look forward to more interview clips.

Soda, I remember him saying in another interview that he had a lot of songs when he was recording Mirror. ​Chances are he does have enough for another album.

chaim
07-06-2019, 07:01 AM
Bernie is certainly very cool. Not as cool as Glenn, but close! 😁

Ive always been a dreamer
07-07-2019, 12:42 PM
Amazing! Thank you NMB for the link. I can't wait to hear the rest of the interview either.

Me too!

New Kid In Town
07-08-2019, 10:56 AM
Wow - Thank You NMB ! What a great interview, I can't wait to hear the rest. Bernie seems like such a great guy. I would love to see him in concert.

New Kid In Town
07-08-2019, 01:04 PM

Hi Brooke ! JMHO but, I bet Bernie does not want to open that can of worms.

Brooke
07-08-2019, 03:08 PM
Hi Brooke ! JMHO but, I bet Bernie does not want to open that can of worms.

I hope he does! I don't see that it would be a 'can of worms' though. Simply yes or no would be good with me!

New Kid In Town
07-09-2019, 07:56 AM
I hope he does! I don't see that it would be a 'can of worms' though. Simply yes or no would be good with me!

It sure would be interesting to hear his take on this.

NightMistBlue
07-12-2019, 03:29 PM
Part Deux: Was Bernie Asked to be Part of the Current Eagles Tour? Find out here: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ySfQwq2D0nM&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR1m5HFft5lHmJUHbBjqVeMxUDpeb6nrDJisDt_D0 P6iMu5F3fKdwIJ91uQ

NightMistBlue
07-12-2019, 03:31 PM
Lots of interesting little details here. I was surprised that Amy Grant’s son and Bernie’s son own a hemp business together.

My My
07-12-2019, 04:25 PM
Thanks for the link, NMB. It sounds like these first 2 parts were just teasers and the next one will be longer. Funny how there are so many connections between all of these people!

New Kid In Town
07-13-2019, 07:25 AM
Lots of interesting little details here. I was surprised that Amy Grant’s son and Bernie’s son own a hemp business together.

A 77 minute interview next time. I can't wait to hear what Bernie has to say. NMB - Thanks for posting part two.

sodascouts
07-13-2019, 12:43 PM
Part Deux: Was Bernie Asked to be Part of the Current Eagles Tour? Find out here: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ySfQwq2D0nM&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR1m5HFft5lHmJUHbBjqVeMxUDpeb6nrDJisDt_D0 P6iMu5F3fKdwIJ91uQ

Yeah, that's how I figured Bernie would feel about participating in the band without Glenn.

Thanks for posting the link!

UndertheWire
07-13-2019, 01:06 PM
I love interview with Bernie. He has nothing to prove and he tells it straight but with the wisdom gained by age and experience. Great attitude - whatever Henley & Co decide, they're out selling his catalogue. I wish he'd write a book - not just about his time in the Eagles.

NightMistBlue
07-13-2019, 08:25 PM
So nice to see you again, UnderTheWire!
If I had the opportunity to ask Bernie something, I’d ask, “Dude, do you no longer surf? Is that why you live in Nashville?”

Delilah
07-13-2019, 09:26 PM
Interesting stuff, like he, Deacon and Timothy performed PEF at Glenn’s memorial. Thanks for posting, NMB.

There’s an article about it linked in Bernie’s press thread. It seems everyone in Nashville is linked to Vince Gill in some way or another.

07-13-2019, 09:42 PM
Thanks again, NBM.

I have a lot of respect for Bernie too. You can tell he lives life on his own terms.

chaim
07-14-2019, 03:18 AM
Thanks again, NBM.

I have a lot of respect for Bernie too. You can tell he lives life on his own terms.

And at the same time doesn't throw anybody under the bus in public. A person to be respected in many ways.

thelastresort
07-14-2019, 12:25 PM
Another cracking video, good to see an interview that actually asks probing questions rather than the usual tepid gibberish musicians get asked. Bernie seems like a very grounded, principled bloke, fair play to him. You can understand just from that video the sort of mindset that made him quit in the first place.

07-14-2019, 12:31 PM
ITA, chaim and TLR - Bernie was not happy in the band so he left. Now, as he admitted, at his young age, maybe he didn't handle the situation as well as he could have at the time, but none of the band members did. The bottom line is he was unhappy, he left, and he takes responsibility for his decision. That's what mature, well-adjusted adults do.

thelastresort
07-14-2019, 12:35 PM
ITA, chaim and TLR - Bernie was not happy in the band so he left. Now, as he admitted, at his young age, maybe he didn't handle the situation as well as he could have at the time, but none of the band members did. The bottom line is he was unhappy, he left, and he takes responsibility for his decision. That's what mature, well-adjusted adults do.

Indeed - I meant more from the angle that you can tell he holds the integrity of the music and band in very high regard, that seems synonymous to me with 'selling out' / lack of desire for stardom that is often cited as one his motivations for leaving.

07-14-2019, 12:47 PM
I see what you are saying. Bernie says in the HOTE doc that their goal from the onset was to make lots of money so I believe that he definitely wanted the band to be successful. I think for him that once it actually happened, coupled with the change in the band's musical direction and internal conflicts, he decided that the price of fame was too high for him.

Dawn
07-17-2019, 02:33 PM
The Canadian broadcaster John Beaudin has a new interview with Bernie Leadon! Oh happy day! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzBBKaXAPvA&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR2rBkKCu6LH5UYTA4KTh-L_kQDyAgZm8tGkX3SERLywi2SzylV98gPuy7A (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzBBKaXAPvA&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR2rBkKCu6LH5UYTA4KTh-L_kQDyAgZm8tGkX3SERLywi2SzylV98gPuy7A)The segment above is just the first of many. Bernie and John spoke for 77 minutes. Pleased to hear that Bernie is writing new material and that he's still friends with Glyn Johns, who stayed at Bernie's house recently.Thank you NMB! Really enjoyed the clip and would love to see Bernie share more of his experiences. Very insightful wish he'd write a book!

NightMistBlue
07-19-2019, 09:45 AM
Part 3, talkin' bout the guitars on "Take It Easy" and people mispronouncing his name. This one is really short.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hK6dNMF4MkU&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR3k9Gw4Rsv6mp9WQDQJ3RsXdQ0r9MLuWFopX22h0 hY34ecveryJ7iO9spA

sodascouts
07-19-2019, 11:55 AM
Hmm, I don't know enough about guitars to really get what he's saying - what does a "phaser" do for the song? Too technical for me!

I do get what he's saying about coming up with the lick in between the chords, though - good work, Bernie!

Appropriate it got put up on his birthday!

NightMistBlue
07-19-2019, 02:01 PM
A phaser is an effect you can use on a guitar (or any other instrument/sound signal). Bernie probably had a pedal; you can process the sound through a phaser effect on the computer nowadays. I've used it but it never sounded anything as cool as the opening chords of TIE. I think the double tracking is maybe what gave the sound such an expansive and exciting feeling. It doesn't get old! I still feel that excitement when I hear that song. Well done, Bernie!

07-20-2019, 11:48 AM
Thanks again, NMB - I don't know anything about the technical things either, but my ears tell me I must like the sound of a phaser. :wink: :grin:

And Bernie doesn't care if you mispronounce his name - just spell it right on the check ... gotta love it!

chaim
07-20-2019, 12:50 PM
With "basics" Bernie of course refers to basic tracks, which - certainly in the case of the Eagles - means the whole band playing live in the studio and recording the song before they add overdubs and possibly replace some parts. I love this kind of stuff!

chaim
07-20-2019, 01:07 PM
As for the phaser, I can't remember the sound it produces. Does it split the signal in two and make them go in and out of phase?

My My
07-21-2019, 05:00 PM
Thanks again, NMB. If Beaudin interviewed Bernie for 77 minutes, he is certainly milking it for all it's worth!

NightMistBlue
07-21-2019, 06:58 PM
As for the phaser, I can't remember the sound it produces. Does it split the signal in two and make them go in and out of phase?
It does, and it can sound dated but thankfully not in TIE’s case. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IjgaCU2mRx4

NightMistBlue
07-27-2019, 10:14 PM
In this latest installment, Bernie discusses “I Wish You Peace” and the polarizing response it tends to elicit. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jQZ5QCXRy_A&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR0Ons7O9ybFMjGGNHYo9I8CoyR8G04KAsWaNT3Dp Q5wvp6-8hVZTZNNgLM

chaim
07-28-2019, 02:28 AM
As much as I love listening to these I must admit I'm getting a bit tired of these short clips coming out now and then.

07-28-2019, 10:43 AM
Yeah = I agree. I understand that Mr. Beaudin wants us to keep visiting his channel, but if there is 77 minutes, he should break it into 10 minute segments. At the current rate, this will be strung out for 2 - 3 months. But, he knows we'll keep coming back until we've heard the whole interview.

sodascouts
07-29-2019, 12:13 PM
"The song is 'I Wish You Peace' but I'm going to break your f--ing arm if you don't record it." LOL!!!!

I've always thought the song was lovely.

NightMistBlue
07-30-2019, 01:09 PM
That was rather big of Bernie to admit that Patti Davis pretty much wrote the song and that his contribution was primarily confined to the second verse. In Davis' book, she painted much the same picture (that it was her song) but I assumed it was wishful thinking/arrogance. Mea culpa!

Delilah
07-30-2019, 03:31 PM
"The song is 'I Wish You Peace' but I'm going to break your f--ing arm if you don't record it." LOL!!!!

I've always thought the song was lovely.

I got a kick out of that, LOL. These guys were a tough lot but at least Bernie recognizes the paradox.

I like the song but I’d prefer it be stripped down some.

NightMistBlue
08-02-2019, 01:20 PM
Bernie Leadon Talks Those Famous Eagles Melodies & Props To Henley & Meisner https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxeDy4PuFhA&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR21S073f1kfRb9b5hWJCnT21eBBTl6QzfWWB_Epn iY_ma93LunUlG3N52w

My My
08-02-2019, 01:28 PM
Thanks NMB. I'm glad to hear this was the shortest clip. At this rate, the interview will run every Friday until 2020!

New Kid In Town
08-03-2019, 10:43 AM
Thanks NMB. I'm glad to hear this was the shortest clip. At this rate, the interview will run every Friday until 2020!

My My - This cracked me up ! It sure seems that way with the way he does/posts his interviews. :lol:
Thanks NMB for posting.

sodascouts
08-03-2019, 11:34 AM
That was rather big of Bernie to admit that Patti Davis pretty much wrote the song and that his contribution was primarily confined to the second verse. In Davis' book, she painted much the same picture (that it was her song) but I assumed it was wishful thinking/arrogance. Mea culpa!

And the only Eagles song co-written (turns out largely written!) by a woman.

08-03-2019, 01:13 PM
Yeah - even though I would prefer that these clips be longer, they are still enjoyable and thanks again to NMB for her diligence in posting each link.

I have to say though, I sure don't agree with Bernie's opinion about his and Glenn's vocal talents. They didn't achieve the level of success they did with just average or mediocre vocal skills. I appreciate his humility, but I think he greatly undersells their abilities.

chaim
08-04-2019, 08:03 AM
I think it has been said that in the early days Glenn had to work at it to sing in tune. If Bernie means that they weren't natural singers as much as Don and Randy, I sort of get it. But they did have a great tone, especially Glenn.

NightMistBlue
08-04-2019, 12:15 PM
John Beaudin posted on FB that a close friend of Randy told him that he’ll make sure Randy hears this segment of the interview, where Bernie praises Meis and Henley as having the best voices in the band. I wonder if Bernie and Randy keep in touch.

Delilah
08-04-2019, 02:43 PM
If I were to guess, Bernie and Randy probably haven’t been in contact since the Fred Walecki benefit, other than Glenn’s memorial.

WalshFan88
08-04-2019, 06:29 PM
I have to say though, I sure don't agree with Bernie's opinion about his and Glenn's vocal talents. They didn't achieve the level of success they did with just average or mediocre vocal skills. I appreciate his humility, but I think he greatly undersells their abilities.

I completely agree.

When it comes to vocals in the Eagles - Glenn was as good as any of them. And TBH, while Henley IS a great singer, I get a little tired of this notion that some present that he was *that* much better than the others. Glenn was every bit as good of a singer as Don, even if he himself didn't think so.

So while I agree with Bernie's opinion on his own vocals, I vehemently disagree with him on Glenn's vocal abilities. Glenn was a terrific singer.

UndertheWire
08-05-2019, 02:40 AM
When the band started, there wasn't much to choose between Glenn and Bernie for vocals and based on "Take the Devil", Randy was amazing. However, I think Glenn's vocals improved over the years, especially in his solo work. I'm happy to accept Bernie's assessment.

Don and Glenn's antipathy towards "I wish you peace" makes more sense now. Jackson Browne said that for OoTN, D&G were especially keen that all the songs should have been written by the band and having a song mostly written by the governor's daughter must have been particularly annoying.

chaim
08-05-2019, 05:54 AM
I completely agree.

When it comes to vocals in the Eagles - Glenn was as good as any of them. And TBH, while Henley IS a great singer, I get a little tired of this notion that some present that he was *that* much better than the others. Glenn was every bit as good of a singer as Don, even if he himself didn't think so.

So while I agree with Bernie's opinion on his own vocals, I vehemently disagree with him on Glenn's vocal abilities. Glenn was a terrific singer.

I think Bernie may have meant the techical side of things, which I believe Glenn struggled a bit with in the early days. But in terms of TONE, remove Glenn's voice from the harmonies on those records and you don't have Eagles a anymore.

Once again I'm reminded of something my father (whose not particularly a fan of any member) said years ago. Said that Don Henley is a great singer, but Glenn's voice is what makes it EAGLES for him. I agree - whether it was Glenn singing a lead or a harmony part.

WalshFan88
08-05-2019, 07:05 AM
Eh, to me, Glenn's vocals were spot on from the first record through LROOE. And certainly live until the very end. Maybe the trouble he was having was before they ever recorded anything. He never seemed to have problems with his voice or any trouble hitting the notes, even on the HOTE tour. Where as Don has had to lower the key of some of his songs both Eagles and solo. Again, not a bad thing, but I think it's fair to say Glenn was every bit as good of a singer as Don, just different. But equal. There is more to singing than technicality or sheer range. Tonality is way more important IMO and Glenn had excellent tone and pitch.

Well said, chaim!

chaim
08-05-2019, 07:39 AM
Eh, to me, Glenn's vocals were spot on from the first record through LROOE. And certainly live until the very end. Maybe the trouble he was having was before they ever recorded anything. He never seemed to have problems with his voice or any trouble hitting the notes, even on the HOTE tour. Where as Don has had to lower the key of some of his songs both Eagles and solo. Again, not a bad thing, but I think it's fair to say Glenn was very bit as good of a singer as Don, just different. But equal. There is more to singing than technicality or sheer range. Tonality is way more important IMO and Glenn had excellent tone and pitch.

Well said, chaim!

Well, "struggled" was perhaps a bit too much, but I remember Glenn or somebody else saying that in the early days Glenn had to concentrate to sing in tune. Indeed I don't recall if this happened before the Eagles recorded anything or if it still went on when they started recording.

New Kid In Town
08-05-2019, 11:53 AM
Well, "struggled" was perhaps a bit too much, but I remember Glenn or somebody else saying that in the early days Glenn had to concentrate to sing in tune. Indeed I don't recall if this happened before the Eagles recorded anything or if it still went on when they started recording.

Hi Chaim ! That somebody was Felder in his book. I love Glenn's voice. However, I do think Randy had the best voice/vocals of all seven Eagles. In MHO, Don and Glenn were both great - just different. I also think Bernie has a nice voice. He was not giving himself enough credit for his voice. Felder stated in his book how worried they were about replacing Bernie with Joe and how Joe's voice would blend in. Bernie really helped make those Harmonies special.

Scarlet Sun
08-05-2019, 02:16 PM

Yes it's true, watch DKRC in '74. Glenn himself said he wasn't a very good singer Musici​an magazine in '82. Plus his "I had be in tune - all in time" quote regarding his role changing after Joe joined.

Delilah
08-05-2019, 06:04 PM
I love Glenn’s voice. He’s one of my favorite male vocalists ever. His voice was the only one I instantly recognized as an Eagle’s when they all went solo. But having a great voice is not necessarily the same thing as being a great singer.

Bernie said in the interview that he and Glenn were “pretty good” singers and Don and Randy were “superior.” I believe that’s a fair assessment that is rather consistent with what other people who were part of the scene and in the studio have said, including David Geffen, Felder, Henley, J.D. Souther and Glenn himself.

08-05-2019, 06:36 PM
Well - I guess this is all a matter of perspective. I am totally uninformed about the technical aspects of what qualifies someone as a great singer. I can only say this - the song's that Don H. and Glenn sang were consistently the biggest hits and most popular and well-loved Eagles songs. Now, part of that can probably be attributed to songwriting, lyrics, harmonies, arrangements, and music. However, I don't think it's an accident that Glenn's song were among the most well-loved. Again, I don't know if Glenn was 'technically' a great singer or not, but I don't think that there's any doubt that his vocals had wide massive appeal among the general public. And he managed to sing at a very high level up until and including his last public performance. So, if you measure a singer by their long-term success, I think Glenn qualifies as a great singer. My own theory is that his voice had one of those intangible qualities that can't be measured. People just loved it.

sodascouts
08-06-2019, 12:08 AM
Yeah, I guess it's basically how you define "good" singer that's the sticking point. When I think of it, I include singers who have tones to their voices that I really love, like Glenn. But if you're defining it as singers who have an impressive vocal range - who can hit those high notes, as Bernie puts it - or a similar type of criteria, then that would exclude singers like Glenn and Bernie. It seems that's where Bernie is coming from.

chaim
08-06-2019, 01:18 AM
What I'm saying here is based on what I've heard somebody else say, not my own observations. But I can understand that, even though he already had that great, unique voice, he may have had to work on singing in tune more than Don and Randy. Again, I don't recall hearing out-of-tune singing from him, but it has been said that he had to work at it.

In the following recollection I'm not comparing Peter Criss to Glenn, but it is possible that a person with a great voice has to work on something in his singing. Gene Simmons once said that Peter Criss probably had the greatest voice (the pure voice that comes out of his mouth) out of all the Kiss members, but he couldn't control it. He always had pitch problems. But people liked his voice and Beth, which he sang, was the most popular Kiss song in the 70's. But I believe Peter still has pitch problems, whereas Glenn certainly got over whatever difficulties he MAY have had in the beginning and he certainly was a great singer.

Basically all I'm saying here is that Bernie's words support what I've read before. Who knows, maybe Bernie witnessed Glenn working on his singing in the early days. Glenn's voice is probably the reason I fell in love with the band, so personally I don't have issues with his singing in the early years!

WalshFan88
08-06-2019, 04:39 AM
Yeah, I guess it's basically how you define "good" singer that's the sticking point. When I think of it, I include singers who have tones to their voices that I really love, like Glenn. But if you're defining it as singers who have an impressive vocal range - who can hit those high notes, as Bernie puts it - or a similar type of criteria, then that would exclude singers like Glenn and Bernie. It seems that's where Bernie is coming from.

Agreed. There is more to singing than range. Glenn had a great voice and was a great singer/vocalist. He was both. Equal to Don.

08-06-2019, 09:32 AM
I get what you are saying, chaim, and acknowledge that Glenn may have needed to do some work to train his voice. However, that's not what I took from Bernie's comment. He really doesn't qualify his remark, so it comes across as him saying that Don H. and Randy were superior singers to Glenn and that is what I take issue with. It's all subjective, but I disagree with that 100%. All I can say is if Glenn did have to train his voice, he sure succeeded. IMO, Glenn's vocal skills were different from Don's, but I believe he was Henley's equal as a 'great singer'. As a matter of fact, many fans, including me, prefer his voice over Don's.

chaim
08-06-2019, 09:47 AM
I get what you are saying, chaim, and acknowledge that Glenn may have needed to do some work to train his voice. However, that's not what I took from Bernie's comment. He really doesn't qualify his remark, so it comes across as him saying that Don H. and Randy were superior singers to Glenn and that is what I take issue with. It's all subjective, but I disagree with that 100%. All I can say is if Glenn did have to train his voice, he sure succeeded. IMO, Glenn's vocal skills were different from Don's, but I believe he was Henley's equal as a 'great singer'. As a matter of fact, many fans, including me, prefer his voice over Don's.

Well, if that's what Bernie meant, then he's wrong.

08-06-2019, 01:00 PM
Yep - I agree.

But, as I said earlier, since he didn't really elaborate on the comment, I can see where it may be open to different interpretations. Whatever he intended, my interpretation is that he thought Don and Randy were better singers. I have a tremendous amount of respect for Bernie, but if that's what he meant, then simply put, I vehemently disagree with him on this point.

Brooke
08-06-2019, 02:12 PM
All I can add is after listening to Glenn's After Hours cd, I think his voice was as good as it ever was and I think it was pretty much perfect on that cd. I don't know how he could have been any better. I don't know anything about singing or all the technical stuff, but....just listen to him.....Really! :smile:

YoungEaglesFan
08-06-2019, 06:59 PM
I don’t necessarily agree with Bernie and I think Glenn is in a category above Bernie’s. However I do think he had to work on his voice to reach his peak. He mastered his tone and range towards the end of the band’s run. TIE and PEF are great songs but I think his voice shined more later in HT and NKIT. I think some of the others experienced this to a lesser extent. I think randy and Henley found the style of songs that fit them better later on. So the whole band saw improvement throughout the 70’s. think Glenn had the most work to do to perfect his voice but once he did, he became an incredible singer. I recall hearing Glenn went to muscle shoals first and tried to be a solo artist but Geffen told him he should join a band. I think that might be what Bernie was getting at in a way

NightMistBlue
08-09-2019, 09:01 PM
In this week’s installment, Bernie talks about the Desperado album https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=Q-1ArDT4yCE&fbclid=IwAR3n1tZ7VeeR61Uc5A1-wGd0TD6Hz-aqnjTXnQPCLSOpWUCjnChuFXxZjQw

John shares that Bernie has completed 8 new songs. Perhaps a solo album is forthcoming; I hope so.

chaim
08-10-2019, 02:09 AM
Incidentally, Bernie refers to the other guys by their surnames. When Randy talks about them, does he say Frey, Leadon etc. or Glenn, Bernie etc.?

08-10-2019, 10:46 AM
Thanks again, NMB. I find myself much more in agreement with Bernie in this segment. :wink: :grin: Of course, I adore the Desperado album so I really enjoyed hearing Bernie's perspective on it even though it's pretty consistent with what we've heard from others.

And chaim - I'm not positive, but I was trying to remember some of Randy's commentary from the HOTE doc. I think most of the times, Randy refers to the members by their first name.

I think they may switch back and forth though like many of us here do. I know I particularly refer to the two Don's a lot by their surnames just to distinguish between them.

New Kid In Town
08-10-2019, 05:02 PM
NMB - Thanks for posting, another good interview.
In interviews with the guys, I have heard them all go back and forth using first and last names. I have noticed most people here do the same. I know I do.

sodascouts
08-15-2019, 10:06 PM
In this week’s installment, Bernie talks about the Desperado album https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=Q-1ArDT4yCE&fbclid=IwAR3n1tZ7VeeR61Uc5A1-wGd0TD6Hz-aqnjTXnQPCLSOpWUCjnChuFXxZjQw

John shares that Bernie has completed 8 new songs. Perhaps a solo album is forthcoming; I hope so.

An album would be so exciting! And maybe he'd even play solo live again!

NightMistBlue
08-16-2019, 09:14 AM
Hot diggity! Bernie talks about writing the music for "Witchy Woman" and working with Dillard & Clark. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hg7fOFGq3O4 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hg7fOFGq3O4)

Hey Soda, I just noticed something (I'm verrry slow on the uptake): the website that John B. mentions every week as being Bernie's is actually the one you made, right?!

08-16-2019, 10:21 AM
I am really enjoying listening to these clips. And, yes, NMB, BernieLeadonOnline is part of Soda's EaglesOnlineCentrai network so it's nice to have some plugs for it. Bernie had an official site at one time, but shut it down quite a few years ago.

chaim
08-16-2019, 01:18 PM
Cool that he still remembers his contribution to TLHTM. Fascinating stuff.

sodascouts
08-18-2019, 06:40 PM
Hot diggity! Bernie talks about writing the music for "Witchy Woman" and working with Dillard & Clark. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hg7fOFGq3O4 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hg7fOFGq3O4)

Hey Soda, I just noticed something (I'm verrry slow on the uptake): the website that John B. mentions every week as being Bernie's is actually the one you made, right?!

Yes, that's right. I hadn't noticed that error. I'll have to contact him about it.

ETA: I posted a comment on the video about it.

NightMistBlue
08-23-2019, 09:51 AM
This is a very interesting segment, about how a chance conversation with a gal who worked at McCabe's Guitar Shop informed Bernie that Don H and Glenn were forming a band.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q3ugOPmC2g&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR1FEVDC0a3SGkYGT7SDUnlylJ3KAXS7o2BO6n2RA _4P6zzJfnXynKQD9xs

My video has Spanish subtitles, do ya'll have that too?

My My
08-23-2019, 10:41 AM
Thanks for the link, NMB. Very interesting interview. When Bernie tells about how few places the folk or country players hung out, it's no wonder so many of them came together as bands and knew each other. It really was a small community in the midst of a large city.

And no, no subtitles on my feed!

NightMistBlue
08-23-2019, 10:55 AM
How odd (that I'm suddenly getting Spanish subtitles).

Anyhoo, yeah that's hard to imagine the music scene in L.A. being small isn't it? I remember Robby Krieger saying that about the rock scene in L.A. in the 60s being small and everyone knowing each other and all playing the same (relatively few) clubs.

Delilah
08-23-2019, 08:58 PM
Yeah, it seems Bernie already knew who Glenn and Don were when the girl mentioned them.

In the comments, Mr. Beaudin says Bernie doesn’t want to write his autobiography. :|

sodascouts
08-23-2019, 09:08 PM
How odd (that I'm suddenly getting Spanish subtitles).

Anyhoo, yeah that's hard to imagine the music scene in L.A. being small isn't it? I remember Robby Krieger saying that about the rock scene in L.A. in the 60s being small and everyone knowing each other and all playing the same (relatively few) clubs.

Sometimes YouTube auto-selects the wrong language for a video. I'm betting that's what happened here. I uploaded a Shakespearean video, a scene from Hamlet, and YouTube thought it was in GERMAN. Tried to subtitle it as such. :lol:

Fantastic story about how Bernie found out about an opening in this new band. It was meant to be!

I went ahead and promoted this interview on BernieLeadonOnline, since he's still referencing the site despite the fact that its a fansite. It's the least I could do!

Delilah
08-30-2019, 03:50 PM
This is another part of Mr. Beaudin’s interview with Bernie (since NMB hasn’t been here lately I thought I’d go ahead and post it). This one is about whether or not he regrets leaving the Eagles, his recent songwriting and why he doesn’t plan to write an Eagles book.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vW1RHRTbKEY

(https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vW1RHRTbKEY)

chaim
08-31-2019, 05:30 AM
In the clip about JOTS Bernie says that the string session was booked for another song, but they ended up recording strings to JOTS as well. Was the string arrangement written on the spot???

It was nice to hear Bernie talk about JOTS like he still likes it instead of "well, it was one of those things, I was young..." or something, LOL.

Delilah
08-31-2019, 03:22 PM
It does sound like that string arrangement was written right at that time, probably by Jim Ed Norman.

It’s surprising the BBC radio show only paid £500 for the song rights. Maybe that’s b/c the Eagles were not a big name in the U.K. then(?).

I’m curious about the Civil War song that’s at the end.

On another note, I hope everything is going ok for NMB in Florida with the hurricane on the way.

ETA: here’s the video clip BTW

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jRYYF7X831s

NightMistBlue
08-31-2019, 07:27 PM
Thank you for posting the latest interview snippet, Miss Delilah! I was out of town at a conference for work, then had to focus on getting hurricane supplies. Was all over town today in a fruitless search for batteries. Anyway! The good Lord willin’, Dorian will stay offshore.

09-01-2019, 09:58 PM
Well, glad Bernie got the $175,000 for the song on the movie.

And good luck, NMB. I hope the hurricane stays away from Virginia too.

New Kid In Town
09-02-2019, 09:14 AM
Thank you for posting the latest interview snippet, Miss Delilah! I was out of town at a conference for work, then had to focus on getting hurricane supplies. Was all over town today in a fruitless search for batteries. Anyway! The good Lord willin’, Dorian will stay offshore.

NMB - Stay Safe ! Same to everyone in the hurricane's path.
Delilah - Thanks for posting,

Brooke
09-03-2019, 02:19 PM
NMB and everyone out along the east coast, stay safe! Thoughts and prayers for all of you!

NightMistBlue
09-04-2019, 10:10 AM
Thank you! The storm has finally passed for most of Florida. Prayers for folks in GA, SC and NC and especially for our friends in the devastated Bahamas.

NightMistBlue
09-06-2019, 12:24 PM
Bernie layin' it down about how the Eagles were students of success in the music industry: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFyKkM6xOUQ&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR3znbTHhTkgPie9C4nfMnxWFBg-8jIfaMTGLIMSoZD2H-lMCi-wLz9Zg9k

Scarlet Sun
09-06-2019, 07:07 PM
Hooray for The Association

09-07-2019, 11:33 AM
Yep - thank goodness for the masters of raising the odds!

Delilah
09-08-2019, 04:11 PM
Another great interview with Bernie, showing insight into some of the reasons the Eagles made it, while others e.g. Poco, did not: top-of-the-line people in management, production, etc. and learning the music business.

WalshFan88
09-08-2019, 08:29 PM
I think another reason why the Eagles were more successful than Poco was the shift in sound, as the 70s went on. Where as Poco stayed with the country/soft country-rock format.

The "Eagles" moved onto a more wide-reaching commercial AOR rock and roll sound (what we call "classic rock" today), especially by the time of the OOTN album. I'd wager to bet there was more of a bigger audience in sales for rock acts than country acts back then, and the rock sound was more well-liked by a wider range of people and certainly was more popular with the youth at the time. It wasn't until the 90s that country fans started to really buy tickets and albums and had a huge fanbase. JMO. I think if Poco had shifted with the Eagles to a more of a soft classic rock sound - they'd have been more successful, albeit probably not as successful as the Eagles - because the Eagles were the Eagles afterall. However, they'd have stood the test of time more had they left off the really country-focused sound and put in more rock.

Really the only country artist in my mind that could ever keep up with rock n' roll sales and fanbase and energy-wise, was Garth Brooks, who adapted a very rock-influenced stage show with KISS-like gimmicks and props and his legendary use of a wireless mic so he could be all over the stage and slinging water bottles and moving across the stage on a lift mechanism. That was unheard of at the time in country music. And of course he received backlash from removing the real overly twangy stuff and had more of a basic rock group backing band. Waylon Jennings in particular made a really crude comment that I will not share here (just Google it if you must know). I find that funny because Waylon was also not accepted by the country fans at first either. He was hated by the traditionalists just as much as Luke Bryan and Thomas Rhett are hated today by the traditionalists, who likely love Garth Brooks's music. LOL. That's why I get a big kick out of country traditionalists. People have been complaining about rock and pop sounds in country for a loooooong time. It's nothing new, at all. And go figure, Garth Brooks is one of the 90s country guys I can actually stand, and even like! LOL. I like country when it sounds more like other genres. :hilarious:

NightMistBlue
09-09-2019, 12:53 PM
I never did get into Garth's music but he seems like a genuinely nice man, as is his wife. Personally, I love Lady Antebellum: their songwriting and harmony singing is top of the line.

Scarlet Sun
09-09-2019, 02:45 PM
I think if Poco had shifted with the Eagles to a more of a soft classic rock sound - they'd have been more successful, albeit probably not as successful as the Eagles
Actually, that's exactly that they did, and that's kinda what happened

Delilah
09-10-2019, 04:04 PM
Garth’s Double Live album is one of my favorite live albums ever. Lady Antebellum are great too.

Actually, that's exactly that they did, and that's kinda what happened

True, Heart of the Night was a big hit for them, as well as Crazy Love. Not your average country rock classics.

chaim
09-13-2019, 11:10 AM
I'm sad to say that I'm kinda tired of checking out those clips - unless the subject REALLY interests me (like JOTS). Bernie is fantastic and a joy to listen to, but I'm sick of how much the interviewever loves to have us watching him speak. 🙁

Delilah
09-13-2019, 06:12 PM
Yeah, I would love to hear more about how some of the Eagles songs came about, e.g. who played the guitar solo in “You Never Cry Like a Lover”? It’s most likely Bernie but it would be nice to have some verification.

Here is the latest video clip of Bernie’s interview. He talks about the short duration of Dillard and Clark and joining the Flying Burrito Brothers.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DhzJP7pOoio

chaim
09-14-2019, 12:35 AM
Yeah, I would love to hear more about how some of the Eagles songs came about, e.g. who played the guitar solo in “You Never Cry Like a Lover”? It’s most likely Bernie but it would be nice to have some verification.

Here is the latest video clip of Bernie’s interview. He talks about the short duration of Dillard and Clark and joining the Flying Burrito Brothers.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DhzJP7pOoio

I have no idea who plays the solo in YNCLAL, but Glenn plays a bit of that in his King Of Hollywood solo.

chaim
09-14-2019, 12:42 AM
2:32 here: https://youtu.be/2Hv0LRCpUBM

And 3:39 here: https://youtu.be/uaaktHZgvUM

NightMistBlue
09-20-2019, 11:31 AM
Happy Friday, ever'body! In this brief 2-minute clip, Mr. Leadon talks about "Train Leaves Here This Morning."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcmnmQIVThc&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR2snHgmi9Ezt7llepCgvt1CYl0C42YnCRx_aC3KU LZozcj7ASlcYhmslKk

News to me: the Eagles performed the "Desperado" album in its entirety at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium back in the day.

He would have liked to sing lead on other songs during the HOTE tour but Henley 'n Frey said no.

chaim
09-20-2019, 01:52 PM
I was really surprised to hear (unless I misunderstood) that Glenn and Don told Bernie even in the 70's what song(s) to sing live.

Delilah
09-20-2019, 06:27 PM
I’d love to know what other ideas Bernie had for the HOTE tour.

I didn’t realize was TLHTM was still being performed in 1975. But then what else would Bernie sing? Don and Glenn probably thought his other songs didn’t fit the setlist. Journey of the Sorcerer was performed at some of the concerts but that doesn’t really count since there are no vocals. TLHTM at least had that Byrds/Gene Clark aura.

Delilah
09-20-2019, 07:04 PM
2:32 here: https://youtu.be/2Hv0LRCpUBM

And 3:39 here: https://youtu.be/uaaktHZgvUM

Those videos are blocked here in the U.S. but I did listen to those parts on my iPod. I don’t hear where they are exactly the same. The timing on the video isn’t going to be the same as on my iPod so I did try to listen a little before and after those cut-offs. Then again I’m not a guitarist so maybe that why it’s not obvious to me.

Also, the guitar tone in both songs sounds somewhat different to my ears. The guitar in YNCLAL sounds almost pedal steel-like at times. What guitar did Glenn play in KoH? It sounds like his Old Black.

Anyway, it could very well be Glenn playing the YNCLAL solo but then that leads to the question—what did Bernie play? It seems odd that Glynn Johns would not put his talents to use.

chaim
09-21-2019, 12:09 AM
Those videos are blocked here in the U.S. but I did listen to those parts on my iPod. I don’t hear where they are exactly the same. The timing on the video isn’t going to be the same as on my iPod so I did try to listen a little before and after those cut-offs. Then again I’m not a guitarist so maybe that why it’s not obvious to me.

Also, the guitar tone in both songs sounds somewhat different to my ears. The guitar in YNCLAL sounds almost pedal steel-like at times. What guitar did Glenn play in KoH? It sounds like his Old Black.

Anyway, it could very well be Glenn playing the YNCLAL solo but then that leads to the question—what did Bernie play? It seems odd that Glynn Johns would not put his talents to use.

I'm not saying that Glenn played the YNCLAL solo, but there's a short phrase he did play later on. Anyway, Bernie probably played at least the acoustic guitar if Glenn was playing the piano. I think they used to cut the basic tracks as a band so everyone was playing something. Then somebody overdubbed the guitar solo later on.

09-21-2019, 01:47 PM
Not surprising to me that Glenn and Don wanted TLHTM in the setlist for HOTE since that was Bernie's most played live song. I personally would have loved for him to have sang My Man, but I understand why they didn't want it. Bernie seems to understand (or at least accept) that as well.

chaim
09-22-2019, 03:45 AM
I don't know, but I would assume that most of the HOTE audiences didn't know TLHTM any better than My Man or Bitter Creek. But I guess most of the Bernie written Eagles songs were lyrically a bit too "specific" (not general enough) for a large audience. Bitter Creek is a fantastic song, but lyrically wouldn't have meant much for a casual at that point. My Man is a gorgeus song, but I guess the subject matter is too specific as well. On the other hand it probably wouldn't have worked if Bernie had sung Twenty-One at that point. 😂

thelastresort
09-22-2019, 05:48 AM
Wouldn't have minded My Man on the HOTE tour, cracking song and would have broken the Don-Glenn to-and-fro as well as giving On the Border some recognition other than Already Gone and Best of My Love (sadly the latter is true of their entire career).

sodascouts
09-22-2019, 02:26 PM
The way that they'd set up the HOTE shows was quasi-chronological, so something off of the first album made sense for Bernie's song. I prefer "My Man" as well but "Train" first the segment best.

NightMistBlue
09-27-2019, 11:43 AM
Bernie discusses the infamous beer-pouring incident and how he made amends as part of his recovery from alcoholism.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XirwdE1mNA4&feature=share&fbclid=IwAR1iMdTogyFgBnAQqx9mC3KAG8wELFOliiB89HFnw IcBzyof8XcLqKlz65w

This is #13 of what will be 20 segments if I understand correctly.

Brooke
09-27-2019, 02:21 PM
I'm still hoping Bernie will say whether he was asked to be in Eagles 3.0.

NightMistBlue
09-27-2019, 02:29 PM
He said he wasn't asked.

Brooke
09-27-2019, 03:39 PM
He said he wasn't asked.

Really? I guess I missed that part!

I wonder why?

ETA: I listened to the last one again and nothing was mentioned. Was it in a previous one?

UndertheWire
09-27-2019, 04:02 PM
Here you are: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySfQwq2D0nM

NightMistBlue
09-28-2019, 10:50 AM
Somebody correct me if I’m mistaken, but I believe this is the first time we’re learning what Bernie struggled with, substance-wise. He wore that SOBER t-shirt during the HOTE tour sometimes, but we didn’t know specifically what he was recovered from.

chaim
09-28-2019, 11:51 AM
Somebody correct me if I’m mistaken, but I believe this is the first time we’re learning what Bernie struggled with, substance-wise. He wore that SOBER t-shirt during the HOTE tour sometimes, but we didn’t know specifically what he was recovered from.

I had no idea that Bernie had had a big enough problem with alcohol to be called an alcoholic.

Delilah
09-28-2019, 12:37 PM
Bernie being a recovering alcoholic is news to me. But yeah, that helps explain that “sober” shirt. I thought it may have been a joke—“don’t blame me, I’m sober” or something like that.

Sounds like Glenn could sure hold a grudge.

New Kid In Town
09-28-2019, 12:52 PM
I never heard of Bernie having an alcohol problem either. It explains the SOBER shirt he wore during the HOTE Tour. We were all trying to figure out why he wore that shirt. Well, congrats to him for beating his alcohol problem.

Brooke - If I remember right, Bernie said he was not asked and he would not have come back after Glenn passed. He said he had done the HOTE Tour with Glenn and it would not be the same without him. Someone can correct me if I am wrong, as I have not listened to the interview after hearing it when it was first posted.

I wish the interviews were combined to one long interview rather than being little two and three minute tidbits.

09-28-2019, 01:59 PM
Thanks again, NMB. I was also unaware that Bernie was a recovering alcoholic. He and Joe are both great role models for what recovery looks like. As far as Glenn holding a grudge, that may be partially true. However, I believe as he aged, it was more of a case of him not wanting to surround himself in negativity. Being a positive person at the core, I think he just chose not to surround himself with people he perceived as negative. I think he really tired of it, which was primarily the reason for Felder being fired. I'm really glad that he and Bernie were able to mend fences before Glenn passed and apparently came to really respect one another. From all accounts, there were no bitter feelings between Glenn and Randy either since Glenn and Don actually paid for some of Randy's medical expenses. Sadly, reconciling with Felder was not to be, probably because Felder never acknowledged any responsibility for his role in the tensions within the band.

sodascouts
09-28-2019, 10:03 PM
That's fascinating. I didn't realize that he'd had such a problem with alcohol, but I did suspect that his willingness to take responsibility for his part in whatever conflicts arose during the time he was in the band was something that Glenn respected a great deal, and that it facilitated his invitation to play on the HOTE tour.

I am so glad he came back for the tour. It made it extra special.

Brooke
09-30-2019, 02:07 PM
Here you are: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySfQwq2D0nM

Thank you, UtW! I completely missed this!

Sounds to me like Bernie felt like some of us here, no Glenn=no Eagles!

NightMistBlue
10-04-2019, 01:13 PM
In this week's installment, the Bernmeister talks about the special sound of the original 4 Eagles, and why (sonically) he preferred the 4-piece to the 5-piece and especially the 10-piece HOTE band.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJXBfigYXQg&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR3AQZG3STbHe_PZ267xrG80PjL2ZMvXieSjNb8eK laBuRILZxYp-By1TVM

Have a lovely October weekend, everyone. It's still very hot 'n humid in my neck o' the woods, but at least in my mind I'm walking in the chilly woods with colorful leaves at my feet.

10-05-2019, 10:56 AM
Wow - I hadn't really thought about how much of a transition it must have been for Bernie on the HOTE tour since he wasn't along for the ride all those years that it took the band to evolve into their live show for that tour. I think we just kinda sometimes take for granted that a musician can pick right up where he left off, but, obviously, there's a lot more to it than we think about.

New Kid In Town
10-05-2019, 01:38 PM
Thanks for posting that NMB - I plan to listen to it later when I have more time. Well, the weather is FINALLY fall temps. Today is 62 and nice and tomorrow is supposed to be 70. The leaves have not turned yet here.

sodascouts
10-05-2019, 03:15 PM
It's still 80s and even hitting 90 today where I am. Fall weather, come!

That must have been mind-blowing for Bernie, to have all those musicians backing him. I'm with him, though. There's something really pure and just "right" about that original four-piece sound.

How funny is it hearing him call Timothy "Schmit"? Nobody does that. But that's the way Bernie rolls. I love this guy.

Site note: We corrected him about bernieleadononline.com not being official but now he's directing people to bernieleadon.com... which doesn't exist. Sigh.

UndertheWire
10-06-2019, 02:06 PM
I'm with him on the sound of the original four vs five. There's a thread on the Border where someone posted links to two bootlegs, one from November 73 and one from May 74. The setlist is very similar (except the earlier one as a couple of "lost" songs from the London "On the Border" album). I find the extra guitar fills on the later one a bit "fussy". In later songs, they would have sounded "right" because that's what we've always heard, but in the early songs they sounded superfluous.

NightMistBlue
10-11-2019, 01:08 PM
This week's segment is quite brief, just under 3 minutes, but Bernie talks about the best-selling albums of all time. I'm mildly surprised to hear that he knows (in general terms) the sales figures for the competition - he doesn't seem like the sort to keep track. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8Mtu35BvPg

chaim
10-11-2019, 01:16 PM
This week's segment is quite brief, just under 3 minutes, but Bernie talks about the best-selling albums of all time. I'm mildly surprised to hear that he knows (in general terms) the sales figures for the competition - he doesn't seem like the sort to keep track. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8Mtu35BvPg

Yeah, it was a bit surprising.

10-13-2019, 11:49 AM
TBH - it doesn't surprise me that Bernie would be informed about this stuff - it's called 'royalties'. :wink: :grin:

New Kid In Town
10-13-2019, 05:59 PM
That album is Bernie's cash cow. I am not surprised he keeps track of the competition. The GH album has made it possible for Bernie to live comfortably and do whatever he wants to do.

FreyFollower
10-14-2019, 01:07 AM
TBH - it doesn't surprise me that Bernie would be informed about this stuff - it's called 'royalties'. :wink: :grin:

Right! And not to trivialize his sizable contributions, but for his few years in such a long-lived band, he has been paid royally! He could "take it easy", and the checks kept/keep rolling in!
I noted the interviewer said Bernie answered "most every question". Makes you wonder what he asked him!:hmm:

sodascouts
10-14-2019, 02:14 AM

I'm thinking it's because it's such a huge deal to be the best-selling album of all time. I doubt he was obsessively keep track of sales figures all the way through his life, but when one day you get told that that your album is in the top five and still selling, you might start wondering if it would move up further... and you might start keeping an eye on the sales figures to see if and when that happened.

Delilah
10-14-2019, 02:12 PM
I'm thinking it's because it's such a huge deal to be the best-selling album of all time. I doubt he was obsessively keep track of sales figures all the way through his life, but when one day you get told that that your album is in the top five and still selling, you might start wondering if it would move up further... and you might start keeping an eye on the sales figures to see if and when that happened.

I tend to agree. Very few people have ever been in the position Bernie or the other Eagles members are in as far as having the best-selling album in the U.S. For Bernie it may be just a matter of watching or reading the news whenever new sales figures gets published.

NightMistBlue
10-18-2019, 12:08 PM
Bernie disputes the notion that he left the Eagles because he didn't like the more rock direction the music was taking. He also tells a very interesting (to me, anyway) anecdote about how Glyn Johns refined their sound.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FaBFTHw77E&feature=share&fbclid=IwAR13X7191nUsXhvd41hMPwRQNYKt1-BdLbCEiRtzFTtmstHvMi_WzgGMfwk

LuvTim
10-18-2019, 04:22 PM
Bernie disputes the notion that he left the Eagles because he didn't like the more rock direction the music was taking. He also tells a very interesting (to me, anyway) anecdote about how Glyn Johns refined their sound.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FaBFTHw77E&feature=share&fbclid=IwAR13X7191nUsXhvd41hMPwRQNYKt1-BdLbCEiRtzFTtmstHvMi_WzgGMfwk
Bernie is such a good guy. I just like to hear him talk. 👍

WalshFan88
10-18-2019, 07:11 PM
When I think of Bernie, I don't think of rock and roll. Not his personality and certainly not his guitar style and ability. He's a country bluegrass guy. He says he had no problem with the rock music, yet Glenn and Bill S both said that Bernie was unhappy with the fact they were shedding more of the country sound in favor of a straight ahead rock edge. Even Bernie alluded to that in the doc. I think Bernie wanted a mix of things. He would play rock as long as he'd play country. He's an excellent country guitarist. I think he wanted to stick to his specialty. I can't blame him. His comment about the settings on guitars and amps was amusing. Personally, I think not all the controls on the amp should be on 10, just the volume! Treble on 10 is ear piercing and painful. But the only control that should be on 10 is the volume! I'm firmly of the belief if it's too loud or too rock n' roll, you're too old or just stuffy. But keep in mind I grew up with a mom who loved Metallica and Guns N' Roses and a dad who loved AC/DC and Aerosmith. There was no John Denver or Glenn Campbell records floating around. It was all rock all the time. My mom is into heavier music than my dad, though. I love rock and roll period!

chaim
10-19-2019, 08:54 AM
Yeah, Bernie was probably fine with a bit of rock music here and there, but didn't like the idea of losing the country element.

10-19-2019, 12:30 PM
That's what I think too, Austin and chaim. Like most things in life, the reason he left is probably a bit complicated. However, I don't think he would have been in favor of abandoning the country sound altogether and going for the straight rock and roll direction that the band was going in. I've said before, Bernie's contributions were definitely out of sync with the band on the One of These Nights album. I'm sure there were several reasons involved with his decision, but, it is obvious that many people at the time had the impression that the band's move towards a more rock and roll sound was a big factor in his departure. He even told the story in one of the segments about how he wanted to play things his way when he joined the HOTE tour.

In any event, despite the contradictions, I have a lot of respect for Bernie as well, and I also liked the story about Glyn Johns lowering the volume on the instruments.

New Kid In Town
10-19-2019, 02:22 PM
I have really enjoyed these interviews with Bernie and have a lot of respect for him. I wish it had been one long interview though. I agree with you all that Bernie was ok with some R&R but wanted to stick to their CR roots. Dreamer, I think your mention that Bernie wanted to do things his way during the HOTE Tour is interesting. I think all five of the guys were very opinionated and wanted to do things their way. Even Felder stated Bernie could be very stubborn. Life can be complicated, so I can just imagine being in a band with a bunch of twenty something guys who are all type A personalities, all extremely talented, and wanting things their way. However, I don't think they were any different than any other band.
My sister's husband has been in various bands since high school. She was complaining to me the other day about "band issues" he has. Just goes to show you don't have to be famous to have "band issues".

chaim
10-20-2019, 01:28 AM
Regarding "his way"...I think Bernie was talking only about his guitar parts. He said that he played them like he originally played them - that he was not going to learn to play them like Steuart Smith played them.

New Kid In Town
10-20-2019, 02:11 PM
Hi Chaim ! That sounds more like it what Bernie was talking about. Thanks.

NightMistBlue
10-25-2019, 03:10 PM
Dear people! Happy Friday. In this week's installment, we learn that Mr. Leadon has a farm and "gold-plated problems." Also that Glyn Johns tried to balance the power dynamics within the band by ensuring the talents of the less forceful members of the group were included. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdYB0Oy5A80

10-25-2019, 10:15 PM
Thanks again, NMB. I wish my problems were 'gold-plated'. :grin: Actually, I have a lot to be grateful for so maybe my problems are silver-plated. :thumbsup:

chaim
10-26-2019, 02:50 AM
As much as I hate this guy wanting so much to be seen and respected (I mean, how many times has his name to be said? "I'm John Beaudin" while we see it on the screen), I must say that I LOVE his questions. These interviews are for the diehards as well. I mean, who else asks "What was your writing contribution to Saturday Night?"

NightMistBlue
10-28-2019, 09:50 AM
I wish he would have asked Bernie: do you still surf? Don't you miss living near the ocean?

scottside
10-28-2019, 10:15 AM
I wish he would ask Bernie about all of the Glyn Johns unreleased Eagles material and what happened to it!!!

NightMistBlue
10-28-2019, 03:13 PM
We need to hear the studio version of Randy's magnum opus "Wait 'n See"!

scottside
10-28-2019, 04:13 PM
We need to hear the studio version of Randy's magnum opus "Wait 'n See"!

You are not kidding! At this point though, I'd be happy with a good quality live version. I've heard two and neither is up to snuff audio-wise.

sodascouts
10-29-2019, 09:59 PM
"Gold-plated problems" - I love it! Such a clever phrase! These are great interviews. I'll be sad when they come to an end!

chaim
11-01-2019, 12:34 PM
About Felder joining the Eagles: https://youtu.be/dodvZo5yeqo

Seems a bit like, guitarwise, Bernie doesn't have as much respect for Felder in the Eagles context as he has for Glenn. Or perhaps there's a bit of jealosy?

NightMistBlue
11-01-2019, 12:53 PM
Oh I didn't hear that so much as Bernie really appreciated the direct, expressive way Glenn played. I interpret that as personal preference, while at the same time still respecting where Felder was coming from as a more technical player.

chaim
11-01-2019, 01:14 PM
Oh I didn't hear that so much as Bernie really appreciated the direct, expressive way Glenn played. I interpret that as personal preference, while at the same time still respecting where Felder was coming from as a more technical player.

You're probably right, but usually when I hear the words "fancy licks" I read it as "nice, but personally I prefer a more simple approach."

Anyway, it's been interesting to hear Bernie talk about Glenn as a guitar player. I had no idea he liked Glenn's sound and playing that much even at such an early stage.

NightMistBlue
11-01-2019, 01:26 PM
For sure there is a hint of distaste for "fancy licks" but also acknowledging that Felder is a great player. Nothing personal, chocolate vs. vanilla.

New Kid In Town
11-01-2019, 05:14 PM
NMB - Thank you for posting all these interviews - I love them and find Bernie's perspective so interesting. So, he got Don F. the job at Geffen - Roberts - interesting I never knew that. Like Chaim, I also find it interesting that Bernie really likes Glenn's guitar playing/style. It is interesting as all you have to do is listen to Glenn's solo for ICTYW. I can't tell you how many people on You Tube think Felder did the original solo and get all bend out of shape when it is pointed out by someone that Glenn composed and played it on the album.

BTW - Loved his joke about his "Gold Plated Problems"-lol.

11-02-2019, 12:24 PM
Thanks again from me too, NMB. I know we have complained a lot about how Beaudin has dragged this interview out for so long, but I will actually miss these little weekly snippets when it's done. My major criticism is that I do think breaking it up like this disrupts the continuity of the interview.

Anyway, in some ways, I'm not surprised that Bernie prefers a more simplistic style of guitar like Glenn's to Felder's 'fancier' approach. Reading through the lines in Bernie's recent interviews and the HOTE documentary, I believe Bernie gained an immense respect for the 'grown-up' Glenn during the HOTE tour. Everything I've heard him say during and after the tour indicates that he and Glenn seemed to have a very good relationship during that tour. If true, I'm really glad - they both seemed to me to be men with a lot of integrity, so I'm not surprised if they patched up all the old wounds.

WalshFan88
11-02-2019, 04:10 PM
You're probably right, but usually when I hear the words "fancy licks" I read it as "nice, but personally I prefer a more simple approach."

Anyway, it's been interesting to hear Bernie talk about Glenn as a guitar player. I had no idea he liked Glenn's sound and playing that much even at such an early stage.

I'm personally one of those people, lol. For me, it isn't out of jealousy or secretly wishing I could do that. I genuinely prefer that. Most virtuosos and technicians bore me, honestly.

I personally would not want to play like Joe Satriani. I have no desire. Is he talented and virtuosic, of course. Sometimes people say they prefer less is more but secretly wish they could "shred", play fast, or technical but don't have the motivation to do so and never put in the time. I'm not one of those people. I truly DO prefer less is more and a more raw ragged rock n' roll guitar style. I love Felder's guitar playing, but at the end of the day I do prefer Walsh and Frey's style over that of Felder's. Felder is still inspiring to me. But I prefer a more "devil may care' guitar style. It's because most of the music I like had guitarist's that weren't theory trained, they weren't blistering fast, and they had a fly by the seat of their pants approach to the fretboard that I love. They did things Mel Bay taught you not to do. IMO it carries more attitude and emotion most of the time. There are exceptions to every rule, but part for part I connect more to the guitarists who are more bluesy and simplistic. Angus Young, Joe Perry, Jimmy Page, Keith Richards, etc.

chaim
11-03-2019, 03:38 AM
When I mentioned the possibility of jealousy I didn't mean as a guitar player. I meant the situation where his old friend joined the band (as an equal partner) whereas Bernie's country thing was more and more marginalized. I was wondering if Bernie praising Glenn has anything to do with being jealous of his old friend becoming such a big part of the band. Having said that, Bernie did say that if anyone was going to take his place, it was great if it was a friend of his.

chaim
11-03-2019, 08:53 AM
Haha, I agree that "I like it simple" can also be an excuse when one would like to play fast, but can't. 😂 Glenn's fastest moment must be the Don't Give Up intro (if that indeed is a guitar played in real time).

NightMistBlue
11-03-2019, 02:41 PM
I think it must have been hard for Bernie, it would be for anyone, to feel he was being edged out of the band. As he said, he “could see the writing on the wall” what with Felder joining and Walsh being so close so often. Maybe that’s why we hear of Bernie acting out/alienating people in his final year with the band.

NightMistBlue
11-08-2019, 12:40 PM
In this second-to-last video segment, Bernie goes into much more detail about his substance abuse issues. I appreciate his candor. It helps people who may be struggling with similar issues.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iw2kBamuYFs&feature=share&fbclid=IwAR22GAwT6YPPcl8E-jxwkJT-wl0V4VAmxKaACXMJXSm8shcQOs-DZN9zp98

FreyFollower
11-08-2019, 09:38 PM
Thanks again, NMB! I agree that celebrities speaking out about substance difficulties is very valuable. Young people especially are more likely to listen. Who's cooler than a rock star?

Although I have heard stories of all of the guys being wasted, I don't remember hearing of real issues for Bernie. It's something when you hear him say that he has only been clean 13 years...even Joe nearly doubles that distinction. I've read where Glenn was against an earlier resumption partly because Don H was still "living the rock n roll lifestyle". Anyone know about the others?

New Kid In Town
11-09-2019, 07:47 AM
Thanks again, NMB! I agree that celebrities speaking out about substance difficulties is very valuable. Young people especially are more likely to listen. Who's cooler than a rock star?

Although I have heard stories of all of the guys being wasted, I don't remember hearing of real issues for Bernie. It's something when you hear him say that he has only been clean 13 years...even Joe nearly doubles that distinction. I've read where Glenn was against an earlier resumption partly because Don H was still "living the rock n roll lifestyle". Anyone know about the others?

NMB - Thanks for posting this all all the other interviews. I will have to listen to it later when I have the time.
FF - From what I had read about Bernie, it appeared he had given up drugs and alcohol back in the 70's. I also don't remember any other info discussing Bernie having substance abuse issues so this surprised me. It is especially surprising to learn that Joe has been sober longer than him - who would have thought this ? And you are right about Glenn - he stopped using Cocaine in 1984, according to interview I saw with him. He indicated he stooped the heavy drinking after the Eagles broke up. He stated he didn't need the heavy drinking b/c the band had broke up and there was no longer that band related stress. He was always very honest about this substance abuse so I would believe him on this. Don gave up his heavy drinking around 1992-93. And, you are also right about the reason Glenn did not want to get back together in 1990. Both Don and Joe were not clean. Glenn had just gotten married and they were expecting Taylor. Also, he had just had the major surgery for his divertic. and had left that lifestyle behind. From what I have read, Randy had a drinking and Cocaine problem up until the death of his wife. According to his book, Don F. stopped his heavy drinking and drug use after he left the Eagles in 1980. I got the impression Tim stopped around than too.

I have to admire Bernie for discussing his substance abuse problem. I think it is a great way to educate people, especially kids, to the dangers of that kind of lifestyle. Bernie seems like such a great, level headed guy and I am so glad he was able to beat his demons. I too will miss these interview even though I complained enough about how short they all are.

NightMistBlue
11-09-2019, 10:58 AM
Thanks, you guys. I did not know that Don H was still drinking until the early 90s, or that Glenn said that’s partly why they didn’t resume earlier. One would never guess it, as Don obviously had a very successful solo career and always seemed like a responsible, steady person.

LuvTim
11-09-2019, 11:49 AM
NMB, you're a natural at finding this sort of very interesting content. Thanks for sharing your skills with the rest of us. 😊

CAinOH
11-09-2019, 01:30 PM
NMB - Thanks for posting this all all the other interviews. I will have to listen to it later when I have the time.
FF - From what I had read about Bernie, it appeared he had given up drugs and alcohol back in the 70's. I also don't remember any other info discussing Bernie having substance abuse issues so this surprised me. It is especially surprising to learn that Joe has been sober longer than him - who would have thought this ? And you are right about Glenn - he stopped using Cocaine in 1984, according to interview I saw with him. He indicated he stooped the heavy drinking after the Eagles broke up. He stated he didn't need the heavy drinking b/c the band had broke up and there was no longer that band related stress. He was always very honest about this substance abuse so I would believe him on this. Don gave up his heavy drinking around 1992-93. And, you are also right about the reason Glenn did not want to get back together in 1990. Both Don and Joe were not clean. Glenn had just gotten married and they were expecting Taylor. Also, he had just had the major surgery for his divertic. and had left that lifestyle behind. From what I have read, Randy had a drinking and Cocaine problem up until the death of his wife. According to his book, Don F. stopped his heavy drinking and drug use after he left the Eagles in 1980. I got the impression Tim stopped around than too.

I have to admire Bernie for discussing his substance abuse problem. I think it is a great way to educate people, especially kids, to the dangers of that kind of lifestyle. Bernie seems like such a great, level headed guy and I am so glad he was able to beat his demons. I too will miss these interview even though I complained enough about how short they all are.

Thanks, NK! This is the timeline I always thought was true after a lot of reading in different places. Nice to see it corroborated.

11-12-2019, 08:04 PM
Thanks again, NMB, And NKIT - I pretty much agree with what you wrote except I thought the timeline for Glenn getting clean was a couple of years later. My recollection is his decision to finally give up drugs coincided with his first diverticulitis attack around 1986. It's possible he may have given up coke initially around 1984, but relapsed some. That would certainly not be unusual. It's hard to know for sure, but in any event, we know that by 1988, he was definitely 'livin' right'. I've never heard for sure when Tim cleaned up, but your assessment makes sense.

As far as Bernie, it sounds like he had the same mindset as many others - if they give up hard drugs, then they don't consider alcohol or weed to be an addiction.