PDA

View Full Version : Dublin Ireland 6th and 8th July 2019

Glennsallnighter
07-10-2019, 08:11 AM
The Prelude – As a die hard Glenn :heart: fan who has openly criticised this what made me do it…..

A lot of online friends both on and off the Border have been asking me for a review, as well as asking for my motivation to even attend these shows so I will do my best to provide both. It could be quite long so I will split it up into a few shorter parts to avoid reader fatigue.

Before I start however let me categorically state that I LOVE Glenn :heart: Frey. I always will. That will never change. I was and still am devastated over what happened to him and to his band. The night (because in Ireland it was after 10pm) that Soda texted me about his death was the worst shock I have ever had experienced, and for me still lives on to this day. The next 24 hours particularly I hope are never repeated in my life. Nothing ever could or every will emulate what he has done and I always knew and had to accept that any realignment would only be second best. To be honest I never thought the band would reunite and was (and still am to a point) very sceptical of their motivation or ability to succeed as a new brand. I also though that continuing with the name ‘Eagles’ as if nothing had happened was an insult to Glenn :heart: and his memory – like they were air brushing him out and continuing on like nothing had happened. I was quite happy that they seemed to have no intention of playing in Dublin as up to last September they had only played US dates. However my friends in Dublin seemed to think it was wonderful that the band had resurrected and assumed I was too. There have been many online discussions as to whether Glenn :heart: would have approved or not, or as to whether there was a need to carry on and certainly Don’s explanations seemed weak and ‘Irving induced’. Indeed I felt the whole resumption was motivated by Irving rather than the band and I still do. I certainly had no intention of supporting the new arrangement and certainly wasn’t going to travel to see them. I felt I had had my time and that my last show was with Soda, Dreamer, HH, HB, Desperada etc (Hope I left no one out) in 2014.
So it was a shock to say the least when one Friday morning in late September last year texts started popping up that the ‘Eagles’ were playing in the 3 Arena this summer, and gave the usual details for presale etc. I actually started crying and when I eventually had to go into people knew I was upset. My friend who knows me better than I know myself at times immediately knew why and she said ‘We are going. You are going. No question’ As she has gone to shows with me on my instigation in the past I really couldn’t object. Meantime all over the weekend I was getting texts and calls and family were assuming I would be going (and that I was delighted about it). I knew that if I decided not to go I would be fielding these queries off for the next 9 months and it would only get more emotional as the time went on.
I also reasoned that I had been to see both Don (H) and Joe in the interim as solo shows and knew they still have the ability to perform, I have been to see a few excellent tribute bands – could they be better than what was left of the band?
Finally I had to ask myself asked myself what would make me feel worse 9 months later- going to see them without Glenn :heart: or not going at all?
The presale was the following Wednesday. I still went into work unsure of what to do. As usual with the Eagles no information had been released on presale about prices, seats, VIP etc. Its always guesswork. Before I could even log on to ticketmaster the aforementioned friend fell awkwardly on her side, broke both bones in her lower arm and was transported immediately to hospital. I went down at lunchtime. High on morphine with a cast running from her shoulder to her hand and awaiting an operation to realign the bones all she could say was ‘BOOK’. So I did. I was disappointed there was no standing room and all the seats of any worth carried handsome VIP prices but I managed to get Row 3 of the lower tier with a view straight on the stage. And it was near!!
By 9:10 am 2 days later on the general sale there wasn’t a seat to be had and the guys released another date 8th July – the 27th anniversary of Glenn’s Live in Dublin performance. I took it as an omen and Somewhat impulsively I decided it might be their last ever European show so I booked again – this time a flat seat row H which appeared to be 7 rows back. Not too bad for someone who hadn’t been sure if she would go…………

So I hope this rather longwinded post does something to explain the backdrop to my decision. I know I have received some criticism and some support and some people maybe wouldn’t do it themselves but won’t chide me for doing so. To them I say thank you. To the others I say that sometimes you have to follow your instinct and the best laid plans can change.

Delilah
07-10-2019, 03:35 PM
Thank you for sharing your experience, GA. I look forward to hearing more if you still want to post about it. Knowing how much you love Glenn, it must have been quite emotional for you.

Please don’t think that attending the concert makes you any less a loyal fan of Glenn’s. The band is part of his legacy, after all. I’m sorry to hear you have received some criticism about it.

I agree sometimes you just gotta go with your gut feelings.

Brooke
07-10-2019, 04:01 PM
Thank you for sharing your experience, GA. I look forward to hearing more if you still want to post about it. Knowing how much you love Glenn, it must have been quite emotional for you.

Please don’t think that attending the concert makes you any less a loyal fan of Glenn’s. The band is part of his legacy, after all. I’m sorry to hear you have received some criticism about it.

I will echo Delilah!

I'd also like to hear your thoughts about the shows!

New Kid In Town
07-11-2019, 08:52 AM

GA, few have been as loyal a Glenn fan as you. Don't feel you have to defend your actions. You went with your heart and that's fine. I look forward to your review.

Glennsallnighter
07-12-2019, 08:06 AM
Thanks for the support guys - here you go for Saturdays review. Its kinda long so if you don't want to read it all you can skip to the end where I have a summary

Opus 1- Saturday Night

Note – If you feel there is too much reading in this or it is too tedious skip to the last paragraph.

So anyway Saturday last was the first show in Dublin and the penultimate show of the tour. I had seen bits posted on FB, short reviews, friends from other countries etc. I wasn’t terribly convinced and I wasn’t really looking forward to the show in the way that I used to, and yet at another level I was! Is it possible to anticipate and dread something at the same time? Anyway I arrived and collected my VIP ticket and goody bag, met L101 and my work friends and headed in. I can’t really complain about the seat. There wasn’t even a barrier between the tiered and floor seating, so it was like I was on the floor with a better view. Desperada was in Row 1 of the tiered, a little down from Only thing was a passage way between the two sections that would prove problematic later on.
I was sitting there thinking about how excited I used to be at this point waiting for Glenn:heart: and the rest of the band to come out, and the spark just wasn’t there when suddenly just at 19:48 (7:48 pm) Glenn :heart:singing WMT was played through the Arena and I thought ‘They really do want to include him’. Then there was an announcement that there was to be no flash photography or videoing and to be mindful not to distract others using a cellphone. Ok fair enough – I was happy to take just a few pictures anyway.
So the show started with 7BR and then Joe stared off by wishing everyone a ‘good morning’ and asking us to give a warm welcome to DEACON FREY. Deacon acknowledged the crowd and started to sing TIE. I took out my phone to take a picture (no flash) and I was told to put it away. When I told the guy I had no flash he said ‘doesn’t matter’. So that set the tone for the evening.
After this Don introduced the show saying that they were in Dublin Ireland and naming some of I guess his literary heroes (He being an English Major), he then praised Deacon for filling in ‘some big shoes’ and introduced Vince. Vince sang TITTL and then TS. I wanted to take a pic during TS but the Security guy was staring straight at me. I’ll never be used to Vince or anyone else singing Glenns songs but If I was less biased I would say he wasn’t bad. And I could see he was really trying to do his best so he deserves credit for that. Yet another new arrangement of WW followed with Don on lead vocals. They really ramped up the drums in this version and I loved it. In fairness Don Henley still has it. He is a master singer and I’m beginning to realise why he agreed to restarting the band. Then the inimitable Joe with ‘In The City’

In the meantime I wasn’t impressed with what was going on around me, people arriving late just in front of me. As soon as they arrived they left to buy drink. Then someone slipped and nearly spilled a pint of cider all over me and the people beside me. They were noisy, constantly leaving and coming back, chatting and even streaming the Westlife Concert from a different Dublin Arena on a phone. Considering I couldn’t even take a picture – I was FUMING!! I also felt that the audience in general in front of me were rather quieter and more sedate than they used to be although I could also see that there were plenty of videos being made. And the walkway between the two sections was more like a Railway platform with people coming and going all night. I also felt that the transitions between the songs wasn’t QUITE as fluid as they used to be in Glenn:heart:’s time. And I definitely thought there was a missed opportunity maybe to show some commentary from Glenn:heart:, perhaps from the HOTE documentary, or a montage perhaps. Plenty of tribute bands have been able to do it.
Timothy then stepped up and did his thing where he had the lights shine over the different sections of the arena and made people scream their heads off, then sang ICTYW. Then after Vince took leads on NKIT it was Deacons turn to address the audience. Compared to the (I hate to say it) older and more rehearsed intros from the other guys Deacon sounded a lot fresher and more spontaneous. I guess he was using his generations language to talk to us, and he was a new voice. He said how much he had loved playing with ‘These guys’ over the tour and that he had really had fun. Then he said ‘This another one of my Dads’. The stars started, the gentle strumming intro of PEF started and the Kleenex came out here. I DID manage to get a couple of pics here. I stood up as it ended and the picture of Glenn:heart: was displayed in the background over the stage, and quite a number of others stood in honour of him and the picture stayed displayed for about 20 seconds.

After that Tim sang LWKUA and then Vince sang Lyin Eyes. I missed the lead up about Dan Tanas and I actually missed the Plaintiff joke! And the I realised what was missing (apart from the obvious) – those impromptu jokes and audience interactions just weren’t there. Vince followed on by tahnking the audience for accepting him and Deacon into the band and for the welcome that they had been given. He sang his own song ‘Don’t Let your Love Keep Sliding Away’. And he grew on me. I loved this song and even though I’d never heard it before I loved the beat, and it was rousing and I was singing along with it by the end. In fairness Vince is not Glenn:heart:. I above anyone else would not expect him to be. But he was doing his best, You could see that.

After that Don sang an excellent ‘Those Shoes’. They chose a deep red as a backdrop to this song nearly giving it a Satanic feel and it worked so well. Deacon took the lead for ‘Already Gone’. I love the sheer sense of freedom in this song, and IMHO it would have been a good opportunity to reshow Glenn:heart:’s video where he roadtripped from Detroit to LA in the HOTE shows. It would have provided some continuity with Deacon singing. Instead they showcased a different road trip style background going through Desert, country and city landscapes, ending up in the City.

Then it was Joes turn. After a wonderfully energetic ‘Walk Away’ he had us ‘Ooohing, Aaaahing, Oh yeahing and ughing’ if that makes any sense. A lead in of course to LBG. Which lasted about 6 minutes!! Then Don blistered through BOS – a very popular song I think with all audiences. After that Vince took lead for Heartache Tonight and Timothy encouraged everyone to get up and dance, with hands clapping over our heads it was like old days again. Back to Joe then for Funk #49 and yes I missed that banter bit beforehand between Joe and Glenn.
The final song in the main section of the show was LITFL. It was fun and lively but I didn’t see the jumping that I used to see previously.

As they left the stage the calls for more came as well as the traditional Dublin ‘Ole-ing’ It wasn’t long before they were back out again.

I should say there was a brass section of about 4 members added to the band for this tour saxophones, trumpet and trombone and they had been in evidence throughout the show. So it was no surprise when the lone trumpet heralded the arrival of HOTEL CALIFORNIA for the first encore. Say what you like about this song, and a lot HAS been said it has to be one of the most iconic songs of the entire Eagles repertoire and to hear it live and sing along with it is an experience in itself.
Second encore was RMW by Joe and then it was time for the last song. Of course I knew what it would be. Camera Nazi was away sorting out a problem elsewhere so I decided I would try to capture even a bit of it. Everyone else was anyway. So as it got dark in preparation I stood up and set my phone. I got about 10 seconds. Everyone was standing and singing. Next thing CN was back and tole me to sit down. Only me, there were a lot of people to my right standing. He the tried to get two English women in row 1 to sit but they told him where to go!! I wish I had the nerve. I still managed to get a few pics though and obviously the song was as powerful as always. The guys then came together and bowed to leave the stage.

So that was it…..

Or was it…..?

It stayed dark and an air of expectancy remained from many although others were leaving the venue. Then Don came back out with the band. He thanked the audience and said he had had a ‘fecking great time’. He also quoted George Bernard Shaw and stated ‘We don’t stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing’. And that put a lot of this reunion into perspective for me. Here were 3 guys over 70 who just wanted to do what they had always done. Play. Ok they had to adapt to the worst change imaginable , and they would have been burned out by the stress, uncertainty and acceptance of Glenn:heart:’s illness and eventual death. But they had to get back to doing what they did best. They had to PLAY as they always did. They needed it for their sanity as much as anything else. And as the band finished off with their first ever number 1 – Best of my Love I realised that they had come full circle and I realised that I needed then too.

Overall Opinions

Glenn :heart: will never be completely replaced. There were aspects of his singing and his personality that just cannot be replicated and never will. So it is a different band in that sense. And obviously on a personal level I missed him
Don Henley is still in fine voice, looks lean and fit, still able to execute a magnificent show, but will always lack the showmanship of Glenn:heart:
Deacon is a sweet addition who is acquitting himself surprisingly well. He will never BE his Dad, but then he probably doesn’t want to.
Joe – mad as ever!
Timothy – sweet as Ever
Vince – really doing his best. Seems to be a nice guy. My opinion of him has gone up quite a bit although like Deacon he will never be Glenn:heart:
Transitions between songs not as smooth as when Glenn lead the band
No formal band intros which I think was a bit unfair on the likes of Scott and Will who were doing a trojan job in the back
Ive put in a complaint about Mr Camera Nazi as I feel he was bullying me on the night

A nice little addendum, myself and my friend (now finally out of plaster on the arm) went for a drink after the show. When we went into the bar on the TV was some old MTV series and Glenn :heart:was on singing THIO. So at the end of it all my night started and finished with Glenn:heart:

CAinOH
07-12-2019, 08:23 AM
Thanks for taking the time to post this, GA. I appreciate your insight and comments. (And, I'd like to hand CN his head for bullying you. That was ridiculous.)

I have come to the conclusion, like you (I think, correct me if I'm wrong), that this is a "new" band... similar but different. Still not sure I would go see them, but on the other hand I think I should taken my friend to see them last year. Eh, who knows. (What I do know is I should have gone to the HOTE concert in Dayton in 2015. I was unaware they were there. If I only had a time machine.)

Again, thank you for sharing. I'm sure it was an emotion-filled night for you. :heart:

My My
07-12-2019, 09:58 AM
Thanks for posting this, GA. It sounds like it was a bitter sweet time for you. I know it was for me when I saw them in 2017. Of course they are not the same without Glenn, there is no way they could be. I'm glad you were able to enjoy the band all the same. Everyone who loved the Eagles can make their own heartfelt choices on whether to see them or not. I'm glad I saw them again. For me it was the right choice.

Brooke
07-12-2019, 12:13 PM
Thank you for your review, Ga. I know how hard it must have been for you. Appreciate it very much. :hug:

It sounds like they are at least recognizing that Glenn is gone. I'm glad. It sounds like they were also in good form and they changed the closer. Best of My Love? Ok, that's ok, and no Take it Easy or Desperado?

I still don't think I could go unless they want to call themselves something else.

Glennsallnighter
07-12-2019, 01:23 PM
Thank you for your review, Ga. I know how hard it must have been for you. Appreciate it very much. :hug:

It sounds like they are at least recognizing that Glenn is gone. I'm glad. It sounds like they were also in good form and they changed the closer. Best of My Love? Ok, that's ok, and no Take it Easy or Desperado?

I still don't think I could go unless they want to call themselves something else.

No Deacon did Take it Easy as the second song on the setlist after Joe introduced him. Desperado seemed to be the final song as usual but then Don came back out and they did BOML

FreyFollower
07-12-2019, 03:09 PM
I appreciate how difficult all of this was for you, GA, and never doubt your loyality. I'm glad you were still able to enjoy the show on a different level.

From clips I have seen, everyone is, not surprisingly, still professional. They can still do a show. But they are missing the funny, friendly host. The Big Personality that interacted with the others and involved the audience, the Showman that made it a show. The Visionary that created the Eagles.
Thanks so much for your review. I look forward to your next posts.

Glennsallnighter
07-12-2019, 06:36 PM
Ok so this is the picture just at the end of PEF that I was going to tae come hell or high water

https://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t236/Irisheaglesfan/IMG_20190706_210312.jpg (http://s161.photobucket.com/user/Irisheaglesfan/media/IMG_20190706_210312.jpg.html)

My My
07-12-2019, 06:42 PM
Good for you, GA! Glad you got it!

LuvTim
07-12-2019, 07:16 PM
GA, I am so glad you posted. This was thoughtful and sincere. It's wonderful that you enjoyed your evening and that your appreciation and love for the band is intact. Lovely.

WalshFan88
07-12-2019, 09:51 PM

Me neither Brooke. It's not the 'Eagles'.

WalshFan88
07-12-2019, 09:52 PM
GA, I'm glad you had a good time.

I personally don't support this band or it's members any more in any way in it's current form, but I don't think anyone should be giving you a hard time for going. You have to do what you feel is best and what you want.

FreyFollower
07-13-2019, 02:57 AM
I'm so glad you got the shot you wanted, despite the photo police! If they were only as concerned about quieting obnoxious people as they are in stopping someone taking a few pictures! Go figure! :headscratch:

Glennsallnighter
07-13-2019, 05:51 AM
To be honest guys I have had my reservations too and I would have preferred too that they use a modified name such as 'Eagles Featuring Deacon Frey' or 'New Eagles' or 'reformed Eagles' or 'Eagles plus guests' or something like that to acknowledge that it was not the same band. But they did it the way they wanted to.

And I acknowlege the support of people who didn't and don't agree with this reunion but allowed me at least to try it out. Really only 1 person called me out on it, on FB as opposed to here.

Glennsallnighter
07-13-2019, 05:52 AM
I'm so glad you got the shot you wanted, despite the photo police! If they were only as concerned about quieting obnoxious people as they are in stopping someone taking a few pictures! Go figure! :headscratch:
Exactly

New Kid In Town
07-13-2019, 07:15 AM
GA - Thank You for your review - it was very interesting. I know it was a difficult choice for you. BOML as the closing
song - very interesting ! What did you think of it as the closing song ? Personally, I love the song and have always adored the harmonies - I think it makes the song. I am so sorry you were bullied by the CN - such jerks when they pick on you and don't say anything to the people around you. I am so sorry someone chose to bully you on FB about going - sad.
Thank You for the beautiful picture !

And CA - I agree. I wish I had gone to their concerts at MSC in 2013 or 2014. However, my work schedule and the cost of the tickets prevented me from going.

BTW, Originally they were supposed to be called "Eagles And Friends". So much much for that early statement by Don.

Glennsallnighter
07-13-2019, 09:44 AM
I'm a sticker for Tradition and I would prefer they had BOML earlier in the show and finished on Desperado as I'm used to. To me Desperado is the closer that is almost like an anthem in the way that it draws the audience in and they all sing and even shine the lights on their phones. But its a new era for them so maybe they want to make things different to prove so. :headscratch:

YoungEaglesFan
07-13-2019, 10:12 AM
To be honest guys I have had my reservations too and I would have preferred too that they use a modified name such as 'Eagles Featuring Deacon Frey' or 'New Eagles' or 'reformed Eagles' or 'Eagles plus guests' or something like that to acknowledge that it was not the same band. But they did it the way they wanted to.

And I acknowlege the support of people who didn't and don't agree with this reunion but allowed me at least to try it out. Really only 1 person called me out on it, on FB as opposed to here.

I think originally, they called the lineup as being something like”. The Eagles with guests Deacon Frey and Vince Gill” I think they did it away with recently for whatever reason

Glennsallnighter
07-13-2019, 10:32 AM
Too much of a mouthful maybe?

sodascouts
07-13-2019, 11:52 AM
BTW, Originally they were supposed to be called "Eagles And Friends". So much much for that early statement by Don.

I remember, before all this started, Joe said something about them calling themselves "Eagles Friends and Family" but I don't remember hearing anything official about that (of course, I could be forgetting something - wouldn't be the first time). There is one reason and one reason only not to tour under another name: it would make less money.

People want to see the "Eagles." Many of them would not show up to see the same men if they called themselves something else, even if it is a small change. People will say, "I want to see the Eagles before it's too late!" People won't say, "I want to check seeing 'Eagles Friends and Family' off of my bucket list." So "Eagles" it is. Obviously, they knew what they were doing. They gambled most fans would still come to see a band called the "Eagles" without Glenn and they were right. Tickets have sold quite well.

But regardless of what I think of the band's choice, I'm glad you had a good time, GA. Of course you should do what makes you happy.

New Kid In Town
07-13-2019, 04:45 PM
I remember, before all this started, Joe said something about them calling themselves "Eagles Friends and Family" but I don't remember hearing anything official about that (of course, I could be forgetting something - wouldn't be the first time). There is one reason and one reason only not to tour under another name: it would make less money.

People want to see the "Eagles." Many of them would not show up to see the same men if they called themselves something else, even if it is a small change. People will say, "I want to see the Eagles before it's too late!" People won't say, "I want to check seeing 'Eagles Friends and Family' off of my bucket list." So "Eagles" it is. Obviously, they knew what they were doing. They gambled most fans would still come to see a band called the "Eagles" without Glenn and they were right. Tickets have sold quite well.

But regardless of what I think of their choice, I'm glad you had a good time, GA. Of course you should do what makes you happy.

:oops: You are right Soda - it was "Eagles Friends and Family". I knew it was something like that. Totally agree if they used a different name they would not be selling as many tickets. People want to know they are buying their expensive tickets to see the Eagles.

Delilah
07-13-2019, 10:05 PM
Great review, GA, thank you for posting it as well as the pic. It’s too bad there wasn’t more leniency about pictures given it could well be the last concert of their very last European tour.

I remember, before all this started, Joe said something about them calling themselves "Eagles Friends and Family" but I don't remember hearing anything official about that (of course, I could be forgetting something - wouldn't be the first time).

Ditto, I’m pretty sure it was Joe who said they might use that name. I guess the promoters had other ideas.

Paradise
07-14-2019, 09:15 AM
Hi All
This is my first post
GA thanks for your review
I went to the Manchester concert,on 26th June I've played and loved the music for over 40 years, I never got to see the Eagles with Glenn, my work schedule made it difficult, so I splashed out for the lowest cost tickets.
I really enjoyed the concert it was described in the UK press as slick it was, the sound was excellent Don came on at the beginning ans said they were going to play 2.5 hours of music (they did) no fireworks no choreography just guys playing music he said that seemed to have worked for a while.The set list was the same as Dublin, Don did a lovely intro for Deacon saying he embarrassed him at every show they did lots of references to Glenn throughout the show I've seen clips of Glenn doing intros on YouTube and yes it would have made things flow better but I think that's the point they know no one can replace Glenn and they're not trying to.
The voices and music were really good i liked Deacon and Vince - a great concert
I've read this site for a while mainly since I retired early whilst recovering from an accident I don't pretend to know any of the Eagles or what's in their heads but from my point of view my job sort of defined me even though I didn't necessarily love it so I can understand the remaining Eagles want to continue playing
This is still a seriously good group who did a great concert and we all sang Lying Eyes on the tram home.

Ive always been a dreamer
07-14-2019, 12:09 PM
GA – Let me start off by saying that I consider you a friend and a very sweet person. But, I’m not gonna lie – I struggled about whether or not to comment in this thread. I didn’t want to bring it down, but I finally decided that my silence may be perceived as being critical of you. On the other hand, I have to be truthful about feeling very differently about this line-up of the band than you do.

So, first of all, I totally agree that we are all grown adults and have the right to make our own personal choices. As long as we are comfortable with our decisions, then we don’t have to justify it to others. I believe we all need to be respectful of those who make different choices than we do. So, I decided to post because I didn’t want you to think that I am judging or being critical of you. I’m glad you enjoyed the show and that’s all that should matter.

Where we differ is that I have absolutely no interest or desire to see this band without their fearless leader and have never wavered in my feelings. TBH, I feel so strongly about it that I’m not even remotely curious to hear about them, much less to see them. I also agree with much of what Soda said about the band. And no matter what justification they use, the fact is they replaced Glenn, pure and simple. These are the reasons I hesitated about posting here to begin with. In my mind, the Eagles are over and I accepted that from the moment that I learned about Glenn’s death.

So, I guess what it all boils down to is that this is just one of those subjects between fans and friends that is a lot like politics and religion. Sometimes people have such different perspectives on things that they have a hard time understanding a particular viewpoint no matter how much it is discussed and debated. However, that doesn’t mean we should let it divide us and that we should dislike one another. It just means that we have to respect each other’s feelings and agree to disagree. So, a big :hug: to you from a friend across the pond. And a big hive-five to living your life on your on terms, rather than what others want. Or as a wise Englishman once said, “To thine own self, be true”.

07-14-2019, 12:19 PM
Welcome to The Border, Paradise. Hope you enjoy it here.

Glennsallnighter
07-15-2019, 05:39 AM
GA – Let me start off by saying that I consider you a friend and a very sweet person. But, I’m not gonna lie – I struggled about whether or not to comment in this thread. I didn’t want to bring it down, but I finally decided that my silence may be perceived as being critical of you. On the other hand, I have to be truthful about feeling very differently about this line-up of the band than you do.

So, first of all, I totally agree that we are all grown adults and have the right to make our own personal choices. As long as we are comfortable with our decisions, then we don’t have to justify it to others. I believe we all need to be respectful of those who make different choices than we do. So, I decided to post because I didn’t want you to think that I am judging or being critical of you. I’m glad you enjoyed the show and that’s all that should matter.

Where we differ is that I have absolutely no interest or desire to see this band without their fearless leader and have never wavered in my feelings. TBH, I feel so strongly about it that I’m not even remotely curious to hear about them, much less to see them. I also agree with much of what Soda said about the band. And no matter what justification they use, the fact is they replaced Glenn, pure and simple. These are the reasons I hesitated about posting here to begin with. In my mind, the Eagles are over and I accepted that from the moment that I learned about Glenn’s death.

So, I guess what it all boils down to is that this is just one of those subjects between fans and friends that is a lot like politics and religion. Sometimes people have such different perspectives on things that they have a hard time understanding a particular viewpoint no matter how much it is discussed and debated. However, that doesn’t mean we should let it divide us and that we should dislike one another. It just means that we have to respect each other’s feelings and agree to disagree. So, a big :hug: to you from a friend across the pond. And a big hive-five to living your life on your on terms, rather than what others want. Or as a wise Englishman once said, “To thine own self, be true”.

Dreamer firstly, thank you for visiting the thread and for reading my comments. I also consider you a great friend and have loved all our Glenn :heart: and Eagles adventures together. It was lovely to be seated beside you at my last 'true' Eagles concert. And a lot of what you have commented is indeed true - I'm not by any meands saying that this new lineup is perfect. They may have found a formula that works for them but there's a lot of Glenn :heart:'s personality that could'nt have been replaced. He had that ability to draw people to him and even in a crowd of 20,000+ he could make you feel special, make you feel like he was talking to you personally. His interactions with the audience (of which I was lucky enough to be on the receiving end a few times) wasn't there. So to me too they are not the 'real' or authentic' band. But again thank you for dropping in, commenting and showing me respect. Its more than other people have done and I appreciate you for that. And :hug: back to you too!

Brooke
07-15-2019, 01:46 PM
Ga, I hope you didn't think I was criticizing you for going, because I wasn't. I agree with what Dreamer said wholeheartedly. Thank you for your review and I want to hear about the second night too! I am glad you enjoyed going and I understand your hesitation. I'm just not there. I wish the band all the success in the world and would love to see Henley, Walsh, and Schmit solo anytime.

We all have to do what we have to do. :shrug:

Glennsallnighter
07-16-2019, 12:10 PM
Not at all Brooke and I thoroughly agree with all your sentiments about that band. Its a personal decision for everybody - I hope that I get to see any of the other band members solo in the future too. I would even go to see Vince as Vince as opposed to Glenn :heart:'s replacement.

We are 'all hands on deck' at the moment doing some redecorating but I hope to get Last weeks review up soon. Promise!!

07-16-2019, 10:05 PM
Dreamer firstly, thank you for visiting the thread and for reading my comments. I also consider you a great friend and have loved all our Glenn :heart: and Eagles adventures together. It was lovely to be seated beside you at my last 'true' Eagles concert. And a lot of what you have commented is indeed true - I'm not by any meands saying that this new lineup is perfect. They may have found a formula that works for them but there's a lot of Glenn :heart:'s personality that could'nt have been replaced. He had that ability to draw people to him and even in a crowd of 20,000+ he could make you feel special, make you feel like he was talking to you personally. His interactions with the audience (of which I was lucky enough to be on the receiving end a few times) wasn't there. So to me too they are not the 'real' or authentic' band. But again thank you for dropping in, commenting and showing me respect. Its more than other people have done and I appreciate you for that. And :hug: back to you too!

GA - I'm sorry to hear about people who have been disrespectful to you over this. I find it such a shame that such insensitive and discourteous behavior is so prevalent in our society today. So sad!

shunlvswx
07-17-2019, 09:14 AM
GA. I'm so sorry you got some negativity from going to the two concerts. I really didn't know you had to get permission to go. Its your choice. People should respect that and not make you feel ashamed for going.

On another note. I'm glad you went and enjoyed yourself. Can't wait for the recap from second night.

Glennsallnighter
07-19-2019, 07:04 PM
So finally onto Monday!

Monday morning I decided to get the day off to a good start by playing Glenn:heart:'s 'Live in Dublin' DVD. I dont know was it spurred on by the fact that WMT had been playing in the arena on the saturday night, whether it was because the 8th of July was the date it was filmed originally on in 1992, or just because I wanted to get into the mood for the evening later on. But it was a nice way to start the day.

Fast forward to about 5 pm once again I hooked up with Desperada, DivineDon, L101 and some other people I met on Saturday night. This time we had 'proper' VIP tickets and had access to the VIP bar. We got goodie bags which ahd a baseball cap, poster (very generic) Bandana and a belt clip with a bottle opener. Not too bad. There haven't been tour bools on this tour so far.e the raffle. An 'On the Border' t-shirt looked lovely but I didn't win it. Then they showed the red Desperado shirt. I joked to Desperada that I'd probably win this one as I already had it. Whereupon the girl called out..... MY NUMBER!! and I DID win it. There were also copious quantities of Eagles VIP guitar picks around the room, so I helped myself to more than a few.

The big surprise was my seat. As I said previously when I booked it it said Row H which I assumed to be Row 7. In fact I was led into Row 2! centre of the row! What a pleasant surprise. Our host also had a word with the security guys to clarify the photo policy and confirm with them that stills were allowed. And another little bonus, my hubby's friend Derek (I mentioned him in the 2014 reviews) was also on duty that nightso I knew there might be a bonus at the end!!

As for the show itself, Obviously the set list was the same as Saturdays so no real need to go through it song by song. However I will give some observations about it that I maybe missed or were different to the Saturday show.

Firstly - Just before the band struck up with 7 Br Road Don gave Deacon a little fist bump. They were both smiling at each other. I don't know was it encouragement for Deacon, or a 'we're in this together' or 'Last one for now Mate' but it looked endearing to sat the least. I had not seen that on Saturday night. Possibly as I was further away. Then When Joe made his little speech at the start he referred to playing 'Last night'. One can only hope he didn't sleep all through Sunday and that it was a slip of the tongue!!I could study Deacon more clearly from the seat I had. He doesn't LOOK that much like Glenn :heart:, but he sure has mannerisms when he is singing that resemble Glenn :heart:s in a big way. A way Glenn:heart: had of closing his eyes - Deacon does the same, and certain ways he retreats into the background when someone else is singing and coming forward again to provide harmony. He's good but I imagine he will want to pursue his own career in the not too distant future. Once again I found his conversation very fresh and obviously younger than the other guys. I tried to get the picture of Glenn :heart: again when Deacon finished PEF but I think Saturdays one was better.

I noticed Joe playing the piano on a few occasions where Glenn :heart: used to. He was his usually funny self. A newspaper review stated that he had played some guitar solos to the point of being boring but I certainaly have never been bored by Joes guitar playing and judging form the people around me I don't think they were bored either!!
Overall I thought that the band was looser and more coordinated and generally happier than they were on Saturday. The transitions between the songs were smoother. But again that audience interaction that Glenn :heart: was a master at wasn't there. He had a way of engaging with people during certain songs and making them feel like they were the only person in the audience! I also missed his jokes and his shoutouts!! (Who likes Country Rock in Dublin Ireland....etc)

Timothy is down to 2 lead songs on this tour. I don't know is that his choice or not. He seemed in fine voice. He always praises Ireland and these shows were no exception. He tells us that Jean is Irish, coming from (London)Derry and that he has his Irish passport now as well! So now we have an irish Eagle!! I'm not sure myself why he feels the need for an Irish passport - I'd be quite happy to take his American one if he doesn't want it!! lol! He said he and Jean were going to stay on in Ireland and that some of her family were in the audience.

Don Henley is quite the elder statesman of the band. He seems in excellent form at present, note perfect, in fine voice and meticulous delivery of his songs. Watching him makes me realise that he still has the ability to perform at this level and I suppose when coupled with his speech at the end about musicians not stopping playing because they have gotten old, but getting old because they stop playing makes me understand at least some of his motivation for keeping the band running. His energy in BOS - he was like a young man, not a guy approaching 73. And unlike on Saturday they jumped in the way they used to during LITFL.

Vince....I liked Vince's own song and I would go to see him play in his own right - he really tries to add some depth to the band, but for me theres only one person who can sing songs like Lyin Eyes and its not Vince!

I was nearer to the horns section and really got to appreciate their contribution to the band, but I do wonder between 3 Eagles, Deacon, Vince, Steuart, the back up guys ( I could see Will Hollis and Scott Crago at least) how they manage to even get onto the stage!! But the lont trumpet heralding in Hotel California on a warm (wet) Dublin evening was lovely to hear.

I must say regardless of the show or the circumstances Desperado is a song that never fails to move me. I've hugged to it, smiled to it, cried through it, and smiled through my tears through it. I think it should still be the last song of the show. What better note to end on than 'let somebody love you, before its too late'. I think BOML should be part of the show, perhaps even in one of the encores, but the way its included is like a bit of an after thought. JMHO.

After LITFL I was talking to a Dutch couple beside me who were surprised that HC hadn't been played at that stage, but I assured them it would be an encore. When the show was over the guy gave me his and her VIP bags saying they didn't want the goodies!! So I have enough baseball caps to open a store at this stage!! Derek also gave me a set list at the end of the show so it was a nice touch to finish with.

So the overall verdict of the 2 shows?
I AM glad that I went to the two shows. I knew they would not be the same as in Glenn :heart:'s day. But it helped me understand more why they felt the need to resume the band. How they went about it, I guess they found a formula that worked for them. And the motivation not to grow old and fade away I guess. And fair play to them for that.

I will finish where I started. I love Glenn :heart: Frey and I always will

CAinOH
07-19-2019, 09:15 PM
Again, thanks for sharing GA. I appreciate your thoughts on this version of the band. At least you weren't bothered by the Camera Nazi on the second night!

CAinOH
07-19-2019, 11:18 PM
Don Henley is quite the elder statesman of the band. He seems in excellent form at present, note perfect, in fine voice and meticulous delivery of his songs. Watching him makes me realise that he still has the ability to perform at this level and I suppose when coupled with his speech at the end about musicians not stopping playing because they have gotten old, but getting old because they stop playing makes me understand at least some of his motivation for keeping the band running. His energy in BOS - he was like a young man, not a guy approaching 73. And unlike on Saturday they jumped in the way they used to during LITFL.

Forgive me for adding a reply to my reply... but this section of your review reminded me of Billy Joel's recent interview for Billboard Magazine. He is still touring in a limited capacity, but he does have a monthly show at MSG. Here's what he said about touring at his age:

​While taking a hiatus from touring earlier in the decade, Joel reached out to some of his friends who continued to hit the road year after year, including Bruce Springsteen.

“I was questioning a lot of things: ‘Why are you guys still doing this?’ And they would say, ‘This is what we do.’ And I said, ‘You know what? They’re right,'” he explained. “I know how to do this. This is what I do. It takes a while to realize this.”

New Kid In Town
07-20-2019, 07:41 AM
GA - Thank You for the review. Glad you had a good time, a great seat, and were not bothered by the CN.
Hope going to these concerts brought peace to you.

BTW, I think Deacon looks so much like his beautiful mother. He does have Glenn's beautiful long wavy hair and long fingers (wonder if he knows how to play piano ? ).

Glennsallnighter
07-20-2019, 08:58 AM
I believe Otis is the family piano player, - he does Jazz piano. I herad him playing on an instagram live feed. He is very good.

New Kid In Town
07-20-2019, 10:15 AM
I believe Otis is the family piano player, - he does Jazz piano. I herad him playing on an instagram live feed. He is very good.

Do you know if he sings ?

Delilah
07-21-2019, 08:23 PM
Thank you for the nice review, GA. I’m glad to hear you enjoyed the concert both nights and can appreciate their motivations (i.e. it’s not all about $$). And how lucky you were with the better-than-expected seat, T-shirt and extra goodies.

FreyFollower
07-24-2019, 05:34 AM
Sorry to be late in my reply, GA, but I appreciate your review of the second concert.
I would have to agree with you about the closing number. Maybe Don sees it as telling the audience "you get the best of my love" as a send-off. But to me nothing beats Desperado for the ending, especially for people who are sentimental about the band. It takes everything back to the first song Glenn and Don wrote together so long ago, and it is a masterpiece in my mind!
I'm glad you enjoyed the show!

Brooke
07-29-2019, 04:19 PM
Thanks for your review of Monday night's show too, Ga. I'm glad you enjoyed it and got such a wonderful seat and all the goodies! I appreciate your sentiments about the band continuing.