PDA

View Full Version : The Roxy, West Hollywood 4-11-08 (Benefit)

sodascouts
04-12-2008, 06:49 AM
Wow guys - what a night!

The stage at the Roxy is very low – about to the top of my thighs and I’m 5 feet 5 inches. We were RIGHT up front, right at their feet.

It turns out this whole thing was put together by a group of ninth graders who were concerned about the AIDS crisis in Africa, Deacon Frey among them. They gave a short speech about the problem (with a movie that unfortunately didn’t play fully) and then introduced the first band. It featured a young ninth grade guitarist named Nick Shapiro who was very good and had Glenn-circa-1972 hair. An excellent player.

After that band finished, Daniel Powter came on and allowed Nick Shapiro and a couple other young guys to be his backup band. Don Was also came out. Powter only did three songs, one of them an abbreviated version of Bad Day (I was disappointed he didn’t stretch it out like he usually does). He was terrific.

Next were the headliners – Glenn and Deacon Frey. Before, I assumed Deacon would be backing Glenn, but that was far from the case. Deacon sang lead on more songs than Glenn! It was very cool. Deacon sang and played guitar on Get Over It, then I Hear You Knockin’ with Glenn backing along with Don Was (Michael Thompson was on piano). After that, Glenn sang Some Kind of Wonderful and Take It Easy with Deacon backing. Finally, for the climax of the show, Deacon did Hotel California. He played the ending guitar duet with Nick Shapiro and it was pretty freaking amazing. Our minds were blown. What an experience! We did get some photos and video.

We’ll be more explicit later – right now we’re all getting ready to leave to go back to our respective homes. My flight is at 7:00 am and it’s currently almost 4:00 am – I’m not bothering to go to sleep, and neither are PLS and dreamer.

More exciting details to come…

Freypower
04-12-2008, 07:26 AM
I came on to see if you had posted. I don't want to pre-empt what you are going to tell us.

Glenn must be very proud of Deacon and it sounds as if Deacon has real talent. It sounds like this was an opportunity to let Deacon and his fellow students shine.

How I admire Glenn's generosity and willingness to subordinate himself in the name of a good cause and to assist in starting his son's career.

Brooke
04-12-2008, 09:04 AM
Wow! Very cool! Deacon must be quite talented, just like his old Dad! 8) How nice of Glenn to help these kids out like that.

Can't wait to hear the rest of the details and thanks for giving us a preview! :D

DonFan
04-12-2008, 09:27 AM
Wow! I can't wait to hear the rest of the story!

Molly
04-12-2008, 11:00 AM
How I admire Glenn's generosity and willingness to subordinate himself in the name of a good cause and to assist in starting his son's career.

I'm sure the pride of seeing Deacon do well left Glenn feeling many things, but I doubt subordinated was one of them.

Can't wait until the next installment, Nancy!

Freypower
04-12-2008, 05:44 PM
I suppose I meant that he was the headliner and he only sang two songs.

Glennsallnighter
04-12-2008, 05:54 PM
Well it sounds like you had a fantastic night girls. How I would have loved to join you, and I can't wait to hear the rest and to see the pics and the footage. It was indeed brilliant that Glenn :heart: and Deacon seemed to compliment each other so well, and I'm sure Glenn :heart: didn't mind at all only taking lead on 2 songs. I'm sure he was incredibly proud of Deacon and his pals for organising this benefit and also for the professional way he played. I'm sure that young man will go places.

'Its his world now'

Hope you are all well rested by now!

sodascouts
04-12-2008, 09:49 PM
Hey guys, I wanna give more details now, but I'm too freaking tired. Just got back an hour ago. I'll have to keep you in suspense a little longer!

sodascouts
04-13-2008, 04:02 PM
I slept 12 hours to catch up on all the sleep that I lost, but here I am ready to give you what you've been waiting for!

It's very long because I include EVERYTHING we did, not just the show. I've put in some subheadings if you'd like to skim all of that and get right to the show review.

I'll put the details as best I remember them, although some might be out of order. I know I've left stuff out though - that's inevitable! Those with me can add what I forgot.

Our adventures the day before the show
We decided to do a bit of Eagle-related sightseeing in our short time in Los Angeles. I had not slept the night before, leaving at 3:00 in the morning in order to get to LA before noon Pacific time with the cheapest rates. I arrived and met PLS at LAX when she arrived at 12:30. After a few tiresome setbacks getting a rental car, we found ourselves finally in LA and ready to party!

Dan Tana's
We headed off to Dan Tana's for dinner, but foolishly did not make a reservation. Therefore, though we arrived at 6:00, we waited until 9:30 to have dinner. We at first thought to spend the time at Dan Tana's bar, but it was crushed tight with tipsy men on the make (one of them literally fell against me, apologizing as I helped him straighten again - and this in the early evening)! We also noted there were only a couple other girls (one told us Dan Tana's often had "nothing but sausages" at the bar). When I had gone with Sally back in May, we got there at 5:00 and sat at the bar. I sat in between Sally and another lady at the time. I guess I never noticed how it got later. It wasn't really our type of scene, so we headed outside and walked up and down Santa Monica Boulevard. We saw the Troubadour, but it was closed because the band had canceled. Finally, we spotted a coffee shop and passed the time there, talking excitedly about what was to come.

We arrived back at 9:25. The host told us he was glad we had come back - I was surprised he had even noticed we'd left in all that crush of people! We were seated at a booth just like the type Glenn and Don sat in during the 60 Minutes interview. I was on the end next to PLS. I put my arm up on the top of the seat as Don did during that interview and joked how my "body language" signified my true hatred of her. ;) Our waiter was full of jokes, asking me why I was always smiling merrily as if he had never seen such a sight in LA. I guess the personality is part of the "atmosphere" and once we got used to it, we liked it. I ordered the fettucini alfredo, which was very good but very rich. I could barely eat half of it, which is unusual for me! I automatically was going to ask for a box even though we were staying at a hotel (I was raised to never waste food), but when the waiter was informed of this he told the busboy to just take it away, lol.

The next day: Cruising LA
It was Friday, the day of the show. We wanted to head down early to see some sights before our evening at the Roxy. We drove by the Beverly Hills hotel and up Laurel Canyon, Mulholland Drive, and Coldwater. I did pretty well except for the time I tried to do a U-turn in the winding streets above Coldwater Canyon and La Fontaine Court. I believe what I executed in a small one-lane road near some person's hillside residence could be called a "20 point turn." Luckily it was a side street with no cars coming.

Once we were again safely onto Sunset with nothing more intimidating then attempting to turn left without an arrow in the face of determined California drivers, I was much relieved. We had a snack at the Sunset Grill (yes, I know it is verboten according to Don, but their cold drinks really hit the spot on such a hot day). After that, we had a light dinner at the Rainbow Bar and Grill. It's not an Eagles site, but my guitarist cousin who lives in LA thinks it's a very cool place. They certainly give you your money's worth when you order a chicken Caesar salad, even if the waiter did ask me what dressing I wanted on it. Um, OK.

Waiting outside the Roxy
At 6:00, we headed out to the Roxy next door in case there was a line forming. Sure enough, we found two friendly ladies there as hard-core as we were who had been waiting a while already. They recognized us from the board and the time passed quickly as we talked about the Eagles, full of excitement (I was also delighted that they were Fleetwood Mac hard-cores, just as I am). In the line behind us, I saw a girl who'd been at Pebble Beach every year and I talked to her and her friend a bit. Finally, the will-call window opened - ten minutes before the show started!

Pre-show at the Roxy
Once inside, we saw that it was quite small and dark, and that we would be RIGHT up to the low stage. We spotted Glenn at a table in the VIP section, talking to people he knew. I turned back towards the stage so as not to be rude and stare, but I stole glimpses out of the corner of my eye every now and then, lol.

The show begins
As I stated in my prior post, the first to come out were the ninth graders who had organized the event. They were obviously nervous but very earnest in their efforts. I admired their passion for an important cause at such a young age. When the projector suddenly stopped working, the girl who was doing most of the talking - I think her name was Cameron? - controlled her momentary panic and they kept going in a professional manner. As someone who has taught presentation skills, I was impressed. When she proclaimed that her generation would not stand by when such suffering would happen, I embarrassedly thought that I was not of her generation and felt very old, lol.

Nick Shapiro's group came out first, with an outrageous name that was blamed on the bass player, also named Nick. The boys all played solos and I was impressed by every one of them; the keyboardist looked a bit older and had a couple solos. I sang along with their cover of Light My Fire, although I honestly don't know the song too well. Shapiro got everyone clapping along at the end. They played a total of three songs and did very well.

Once they left the stage, Daniel Powter came on. He brought back out Nick Shapiro as well as a couple other boys to play with him, saying he'd never forget how Chris Isaak did the same for him when he was young. Don Was also came out, and both lavished sincere praise upon the boys. I was next to the friends of the drummer (I think his name was Jarod) who were going positively wild for him, lol.

I was familiar with Powter's "Bad Day" but it wasn't until listening to some of his music in preparation for this that I began to appreciate him. He plays the piano with a great deal of sensitively and has an emotive voice. He sang "Song 6," "Free Loop" and "Bad Day," which he said he hadn't played in a year. I sang along as did most of the crowd to his well-known and catchy hit.

Deacon and Glenn's set
Then it was time for the Freys, folks! They were introduced and came out with Don Was and Nick Shapiro. Glenn joked that "Here we are, Don and Glenn - but this Don is more mellow than the one I usually work with!" Everyone laughed and he added, "I love 'em both, though." The drummer was one of the boys from the first band, with absolutely wild long blond hair. I think his name was Henry, but it was hard to hear. Deacon's guitar was very cool-looking by the way, kind of an odd shape. It seemed to sparkle in the spotlight.

When Glenn started playing the slow and bluesy opening notes for "Get Over It", I thought "Hmm, 'Smuggler's Blues'?" I never expected that Deacon would go up to the mic and start singing a Henley vocal, as he then did! I hurriedly got out my camera - I only have enough memory on the card for 10 minutes so I was gonna wait to see if Glenn did a special song before I started filming. I wasn't going to waste half of it on "Smuggler's Blues" if something more special was coming later. However, Deacon singing lead on a song was definitely special enough to use up that memory! I got the whole thing after the first bit. I glanced nervously at Glenn to see if he would motion for me to stop - I was in full view of him - but he didn't seem fazed at all.

"Get Over It" is really hard to sing with its fast-paced torrent of lyrics - I know this from attempting to sing along with it in the car - but Deacon did a great job and played the rockin' guitar part flawlessly to boot. Dang! Glenn was positively beaming.

Glenn introduced the next song by talking about how both he and Don Was were from Detroit, "where mother was half a word," and joking that it was "the birthplace of country rock." He then went on to say how they loved the blues and I recognized the opening of "I Hear You Knockin'." Once again I assumed Glenn would do it, once again I was wrong as Deacon took lead. This night was his showcase. I captured it on film as well, and thought that Deacon must like the blues since he since he was giving the vocal a lot of soul.

Michael Thompson got a solo for this song. I had been glancing over at Michael occasionally and smiling at him a bit sheepishly - he was really sweet to us in Niagara Falls and I liked talking to him. He grinned back and I was relieved he didn't seem to think we were freaks for being there, lol.

Glenn introduced the next song by telling everyone it was a classic, and to sing along if they knew it. In an ironic reversal, I figured Deacon would be singing lead again, but this time it was Glenn. The song was Some Kind of Wonderful. I couldn't sing along very much, as this is one of the few songs that Glenn performs which I don't know the lyrics to. The reason is simply because the only time I hear the song is at Glenn solo shows, lol. It's a great song, though, and Glenn does it up right. I enthusiastically joined in on the simple chorus, the only part I knew. ;)

At one point in the song, Glenn called to the guys in the audience to raise their hands if "they had a sweet little woman like mine." I turned my head and couldn't help but smile as I saw some boys in their early teens earnestly raising their hands. I wondered how many of them had their girlfriends right next to them at that point, since most of the boys had decidedly kept their hands at their sides for that question, lol. Ah, youth!

The next song was "Take It Easy," with the crowd eating it up. I was glad that Glenn's record of playing that landmark song at every performance was unbroken, as I adore it! I did, however, put away the camera. I knew it was getting close to the end.

Glenn introduced the band, saying that as usual, he was the third best guitarist on the stage. He thanked Michael for being there on his break. As we all fanned ourselves, he told one of my favorite jokes of his - "It sure is hot here. I'm sweating harder than Eminem at a spelling bee." LOL! The audience loved it too, of course.

When it was time for the final song, Glenn once again told us to sing along if we knew it - that "this is gonna be exciting." As soon as the notes started I knew what he meant - Deacon was going to do "Hotel California"! I once again pulled out my camera, but captured only a teensy bit before the card was full. I later cursed myself for wasting it on the opening when Deacon and Shapiro did their guitar duet, which would have been much cooler to capture. Oh my gosh, it was terrific! Glenn looked so proud!

Afterwards, they said their goodbyes to great applause. Glenn thanked us for coming out. What a night! We said goodbye to our new friends from the line, then debated whether we should stay or not. We wound up deciding to stay a bit longer.

Shwayze
The next act was Shwayze, the hip-hop duo. They were a big hit with the young boys near me, who crowded up to the front mosh-pit style. The duo was into their music and having a good time, but they seemed to think the audience was acting "tired" and remarked that they needed to stop following legends at concerts. For my own part, I was trying not to look appalled at some of the lyrics the young kids around me were singing along with. I gave Shwayze smiles for their efforts, though, and tried to sing along with the chorus of one of their songs about wanting to get a picture - "click, click!" It may not be my type of music, but I was up front and not about to act sour when they were doing their best.

And the exciting end...
Still, after Shwayze's performance, we decided we should probably leave if it was to be more of the same, lol. However, thank goodness we delayed and stayed by the stage, because at that point Glenn came through the crowd to us with his wife Cindy. He introduced us to her. She was sweet as could be and so pretty! They make a great couple and are obviously very happy. We chatted for a bit about the concert and how proud they must be. I screwed up my courage and mentioned to Cindy that I had taken video, praying she wouldn't freak but would be OK with it. I certainly didn't want to make a bad impression on her, but I also didn't want to put video online if it would upset his mother. Like Glenn, it didn't faze her at all. I guess the proud parents realize that their son is now in the spotlight! Cindy was so thrilled about how well Deacon had performed that she was absolutely glowing. Glenn also waylaid Deacon and introduced him to us. Then, it was time for them to leave, and they said goodbye. We felt so honored!

Post-show visit to the Troubadour
Since it was only 10:30, we decided to head over to the Troubadour. We had a couple screwdrivers sitting in the very spots that Glenn and Don had sat at one time, and talked about what an amazing experience we'd just had. Definitely worth the trip, and then some!

Photos and video are forthcoming!

luvthelighthouse
04-13-2008, 04:36 PM
OMG, that is SO awesome!!! How did Glenn know to come up and talk to you? Did you seek him out? WoW! You are so lucky! Did you tell him all about your site dedicated to him?

I bet Cindy was even more beautiful in person that she is in pics. Speaking of which... I can't wait for the pics!

sodascouts
04-13-2008, 04:39 PM
LTL, I've gotten to meet Glenn in the past at Pebble Beach golf course, so he recognizes me (along with my fellow Pebble Beach girls). He is very sweet to his fans, so he came up to us - I wouldn't want to seek him out and bother him uninvited, especially when he's with his family.

I haven't talked to him about my site at all, other than a brief mention in a fan letter where I did not provide the URL or the name, just that I admired him so much I made a fan site. I don't want to be seen as opportunistic and self-promoting, or wanting anything from him for my own purposes. Sometimes I wonder if he has put it together that I do Glenn Frey Online (http://www.glennfreyonline.com) and what he thinks of it, but if he has figured that out, he obviously has no desire to tell me so! He knows about it and has not ordered it taken down, so that's good, lol.

And Cindy IS more beautiful in person!

Brooke
04-13-2008, 04:59 PM
Omg, that is so awesome! Sounds like you had a wonderful time. How cool of Glenn to introduce Cindy and Deacon to you!

Can't wait for the pics! :bow:

DonFan
04-13-2008, 05:15 PM
I'm so glad you got to meet Cindy! What a great night--and a great trip!

Glennsallnighter
04-13-2008, 05:22 PM
It must have been great to meet both Cindy and Deacon. I'd had an idea Cindy would have been there and wondered if you'h have met her. They seem like a lovely family, and I'm sure are very proud of what Deacon did last night. Glenn :heart: too is such a charming man, and so good to his loyal fans. I'm glad you all had such a good night.

Freypower
04-13-2008, 06:46 PM
That's wonderful. I'm really happy for you.

Here are the SKOW lyrics. I love the Royal Oak version.

http://www.lyricsdepot.com/grand-funk-railroad/some-kind-of-wonderful.html

sodascouts
04-13-2008, 06:50 PM
Thanks - I need to study up. ;)

LOVE your new banner and avatar, FP.

And thanks for all the comments, everyone! It was a real thrill!

sodascouts
04-13-2008, 09:55 PM
OK - the photos! All except the first one of Glenn and Deacon were taken by PLS - that one was taken by me before I started filming.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/roxy2008/roxymarquee.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/roxy2008/roxy01.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/roxy2008/roxy02.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/roxy2008/roxy03-deacon.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/roxy2008/roxy04-deacon.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/roxy2008/roxy05.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/roxy2008/roxy06.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/roxy2008/roxy08.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/roxy2008/roxy09.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/roxy2008/roxy10.jpg

sodascouts
04-13-2008, 09:58 PM
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/roxy2008/roxy11.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/roxy2008/roxy12.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/roxy2008/roxy13.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/roxy2008/roxy14-deacon.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/roxy2008/roxy15.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/roxy2008/roxy16-deacon.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/roxy2008/roxy17-deacon.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/roxy2008/roxy18.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/roxy2008/roxy19.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/roxy2008/roxy20-deacon.jpg

DonFan
04-13-2008, 10:11 PM
Those are wonderful, Soda! Deacon is absolutely adorable, and I love the proud way Glenn is looking at him!

Freypower
04-13-2008, 11:24 PM
:censored: :help: :jealous:

and :jawdrop:

You've excelled yourself, PLS.

Go Deacon!!!

As for the other guy in the photos I have nothing to say except

:iloveyou:

Ive always been a dreamer
04-14-2008, 12:26 AM
Hi all - Well I have much to say. However, I only a short time to post right now. Great review Soda - but, I did want to make a couple comments. First - how in the world did you forget about the Holy Crap moment! You know the one - when Glenn said his goodbyes, we all got hugs and kisses. I can only speak for myself, but it was definitely another one of those moments that made me very weak in the knees.

Now, as far as whether or not Glenn is aware of this site or GFO, I think it's safe to say that he is, even though I don't know whether he personally visits or not. Since we have met Glenn several times now, and he knows our names, he would have to know that Soda is the webmistress of GFO. After all, he is a pretty smart guy! :wink: :wink:

I'll post more later, but, overall it was a fantastic weekend - a dream weekend for any hardcore Eagles fan. :!: :!: :!:

luvthelighthouse
04-14-2008, 12:50 AM
Hugs??? Kisses??? Knows you by name??? :jawdrop: I need more details!

Freypower
04-14-2008, 01:04 AM
LTL, I suggest you read the 'Glenn Plays Pebble Beach' topic in this forum.

sodascouts
04-14-2008, 01:19 AM
Hi all - Well I have much to say. However, I only a short time to post right now. Great review Soda - but, I did want to make a couple comments. First - how in the world did you forget about the Holy Crap moment! You know the one - when Glenn said his goodbyes, we all got hugs and kisses. I can only speak for myself, but it was definitely another one of those moments that made me very weak in the knees.

Oh, it made me weak in the knees too, that's for sure, even though it was entirely platonic (I should clarify that he kissed us on the cheek). He also said "goodbye, sweetie" to me in a paternal fashion. He's so kind to us!

Now, as far as whether or not Glenn is aware of this site or GFO, I think it's safe to say that he is, even though I don't know whether he personally visits or not. Since we have met Glenn several times now, and he knows our names, he would have to know that Soda is the webmistress of GFO. After all, he is a pretty smart guy! :wink: :wink:

Well, I admit the probability is pretty high. I'm just saying we have no evidence that he knows because he has never said so.

sodascouts
04-14-2008, 01:48 AM
LTL, Glenn plays golf at Pebble Beach every year for a celebrity pro-am tournament. Fans can come up to him and meet him during this. We've done so more than once, so he recognizes us and knows we're super-hardcore-fans. This has led him to be kind to us by dedicating a song to us in Niagara Falls one time and letting us meet his wife and son at the Roxy. It is possible that the site has something to do with it, but he's never said so; he's only said that he can tell we are "sincere fans" and he appreciates that.

Here are the threads that tell of our adventures, if you have the time and energy to read them:

Pebble Beach in 2006 (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=104&page=4)

Pebble Beach in 2007 (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=241&page=9)

The Niagara Falls Dedication 2007 (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=372&page=12)

Pebble Beach in 2008 (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=621&page=12)

Mrs Frey
04-14-2008, 03:17 AM
Soda, Dreamer, PLS: THAT IS ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!!!! :jawdrop:

I am so happy for you, girls! My admiration and respect for Glenn :heart: just grows by the minute. For him to have introduced you to his wife and son speaks volumes. For all the effort the three of you always make for him (and all the work you have done on the website, Soda), you deserve it!

I was nearly in tears as I read the last part (and hugs and kisses, Dreamer! :shock: :jealous: :wink: ) - that man is so very, very, very special. God bless him.

I'm so happy for Deacon that he got a chance to showcase his talent, which he seems to have in abundance! It is no mean feat to master "Get Over It" and "Hotel California" - those songs take serious skill to play properly! I can just imagine how proud Glenn :heart: and Cindy are of their son. How wonderful that Glenn :heart: is behind his boy all the way.

As for the photos: Soda and PLS, those are absolutely breathtaking! :jawdrop: Deacon is a lovely boy (well, with genes from Glenn :heart: and Cindy, it was a foregone conclusion - he's going to be a knockout when he reaches adulthood!) and Glenn :heart:... he just seems to get more gorgeous with every picture we see of him... :smitten: :inlove: :heart: :heart: :heart: :drool: :smokin: :iloveyou: :fainting: :fainted: :bow:

Have I expressed myself adequately? :wink:

Mrs Frey
04-14-2008, 03:29 AM
Soda, I was just saving the photos when I noticed something in the pic you took of Glenn :heart: and Deacon: the impressive Marshall amplifier to the left of Deacon. My Eagles fan friend, who plays lead guitar in our band (and who tackles "Hotel California"'s guitar solo all on his own) owns one of those. They're a rare sight around here, so it's great to see Glenn :heart: and company using one. I also spotted a Fender Deluxe amp in one of PLS's pics, one of which my friend also owns. He'd be very impressed with these photos! :nod: :D

Did I say thank you for sharing those photos with us? :hug:

sodascouts
04-14-2008, 04:40 AM
Well, I finally managed to compress these videos (for some reason, my programs were having a hard time with the files). I apologize for the quality, but my poor digital camera wasn't meant to take video and didn't know what to focus on.

Deacon sings "Get Over It"
Download as mpg (31 megs) (http://www.glennfreyonline.com/multimedia/live/Roxy01GetOverIt2008.mpg) :: Download as wmv (8 megs) (http://www.glennfreyonline.com/multimedia/live/Roxy01GetOverIt2008.wmv)

Deacon sings "I Hear You Knockin'"
Download as mpg (35 megs) (http://www.glennfreyonline.com/multimedia/live/Roxy02IHYK2008.mpg) :: Download as wmv (9 megs) (http://www.glennfreyonline.com/multimedia/live/Roxy02IHYK2008.wmv)

Glenn sings "Some Kind of Wonderful"
Download as mpg (41 megs) (http://www.glennfreyonline.com/multimedia/live/Roxy03SKOW2008.mpg) :: Download as wmv (10 megs) (http://www.glennfreyonline.com/multimedia/live/Roxy03SKOW2008.wmv)

A brief clip of "Hotel California"
Download as mpg (9 megs) (http://www.glennfreyonline.com/multimedia/live/Roxy04HCClip2008.mpg) :: Download as wmv (3 megs) (http://www.glennfreyonline.com/multimedia/live/Roxy04HCClip2008.wmv)

Mrs Frey
04-14-2008, 04:50 AM
Thanks for these links, Soda! I'm starting to download now! :D

Glennsallnighter
04-14-2008, 06:38 AM
Soda and PLS, those pics are absolutely fantastic. I too am downloading the videos. It really does speak volumes for your 'fandom' that Glenn :heart: trusts you enough to introduce you to his family. When I hear things like this my (already high) opinion of him just rockets! I'd say he DOES know that you are the person behind GFO, but the fact that whats posted is always truthful and complimentary to him (if sometimes a little wishful or tongue in cheek) means that he's happy to let it be.

glenneaglesfan
04-14-2008, 07:59 AM
Soda, what a fabulous evening you had with PLS and dreamer! :yay: :cheers: :D

It's really wonderful that these young people got together for such a good cause, and that Glenn supported them, and the other big names as well. Deacon sounds like a truly talented young man, and it must have made Glenn and Cindy very proud to watch him. I think it's very cool that Deacon chose to play Eagles songs and one that his dad sings solo - that's a fine compliment from a son to his father.

The pictures are superb! Thanks PLS and Soda! :D I can see it was getting hot in there. :shock: :drool:

Deacon's guitar looks like a Gibson Firebird. Glenn uses one for In The City.

LOVE the 'big black crow' on Glenn's tee!!

And what happened afterwards is unbelievable. He is such a wonderful man, to introduce you to Cindy and Deacon. I expect he has talked about you at home, and really wanted you to meet his lovely family. What a sweetie he is. As for you getting a hug and a kiss, I really believe he values you as true friends now. Just fantastic!

Glenn Frey, :iloveyou:

Mrs Frey
04-14-2008, 08:08 AM
LOVE the 'big black crow' on Glenn's tee!!

Gosh, GEF, you are very sharp! I didn't even notice that! Very cool! 8)

Brooke
04-14-2008, 09:58 AM
Wonderful photos of Deacon and Glenn! Thank you Soda and PLS!

What a cutie Deacon is! And how very nice and gracious Glenn and Cindy were to you all. Hugs and kisses? :shock: Incredible! 8)

You girls must definitely portray the serious, smart, quality fan image. I'm very proud of you all. And very envious! :D

sodascouts
04-14-2008, 12:49 PM
You girls must definitely portray the serious, smart, quality fan image.

Not so sure about THAT, lol.

Meeting his family was such an honor, but the whole night was just incredible. What a show! I'm so glad I went!

luvthelighthouse
04-14-2008, 03:31 PM
Soda and PLS... OMG!!!! I had time to read some of the links Soda posted, and I'm stunned! I have NO idea you were "connected" to the man. LOL

That's so cool that he had dubbed you his Angles! Really, I'd be freaking happy w/that nickname. I didn't get to read everything... but hot damn... what I did read.

You ladies sure now how to work it.

Did you guys ever get pictures of you all together w/Glenn?

I'm impressed w/your dedication to flying all over to see the man.

Brooke
04-14-2008, 03:50 PM
I just watched the videos. They are awesome! Glenn looks like he is so proud of Deacon, as he should be. That kid is so talented! How cool of Glenn to do this and how cool that Deacon is so good! It was cute where Glenn would turn to the other side once in a while and grin, like he was loving, and even a bit surprised, at how good Deacon was doing! A rising star we have here! :D

I also loved that bit in SKOW where Glenn quit playing and raised his fist up while singing "chills run up and down my spine"! Made chills run up and down my spine! :heart:

Very, very, very cool! Thanks so much for sharing them with us! :hug:

tbs fanatic
04-14-2008, 05:20 PM
WOW! Thanks for sharing those. Deacon was GREAT :shock: How cool. Glenn did look proud didn't he. :D

Freypower
04-14-2008, 08:31 PM
:fainting: :bow: :fainted:

I'll do screen captures of that when I've regained consciousness, probably tomorrow.

Deacon really sounded like his father in IHYK. He will realise in time that the line is 'I could never be wit'choo' but apart from that...... :twisted: and I loved how Dad helped him out in GOI.

As for SKOW :smitten: :inlove: :partytime: oh man, oh man. It had everything. Moving his head around. Leaning back from the mic. Hand gestures.

Thank you so much, Soda. :shock:

04-14-2008, 11:56 PM
Okay – I’ve got a few minutes so I am going to try to fill in a few things that I remember about our weekend excursion in the City of Angels. To begin with, we knew that the stars had aligned properly for us to have a fantastic weekend as we were getting ready to get in to our rental car on Thursday afternoon. PLS let out a gasp as she noticed that the license plate number on our vehicle began with the letters GLF – could that have been any more perfect!!! I don’t think so.

Even though L.A. traffic sucks, we were only a little later reaching Dan Tana’s than what we had anticipated. As Soda said, since it didn’t occur to us to make reservations, we had a late dinner, but that worked out fine since we had also had a late lunch. The food is pricey, but it was excellent.

On Friday morning, we set out for the dream tour of any Eagles fan. The entire day was just cool as we spent our entire day leisurely driving around seeing all the sites on our “wish” list that Soda already talked about. It was a totally cool day. Even though we weren’t hungry when we got to the Sunset Grill, we felt obligated to order a single cheeseburger, which the three of us shared. When we got in the line at the Roxy around 6:00, it was fun meeting up with the other hardcore fans and chatting while we waited for the doors to open. Some of the fans had actually arrived earlier in the day in time to see Glenn and Deacon arrive for the sound check. Since it is a small venue, they could actually hear the sound check out on the street. My timing was a bit off because when Glenn arrived for the show, I had gone to the bathroom at the Rainbow Café next store, and didn’t get to see him. When they opened the doors and we went in, I was in a dream world knowing that I was going to be standing within a few feet of Glenn for the show. As we stood in our spots, we spotted Glenn almost immediately sitting at a table drinking a beer in the VIP section with Michael Thompson and another guy. PLS and Soda were in a deep conversation with some guy, but I was standing facing the stage talking to one of the fans we had met. Glenn was visible to me the whole time without me having to stare. After a while, Glenn got up and stood at the table behind the first table he was sitting at. He was talking to some other people, but I couldn’t tell who they were. As it turns out, one of them was Cindy. A few minutes before the show started, an elderly couple came in. As they approached, I saw Glenn go to meet them. He hugged and kissed them both. The girl that I was talking to and I speculated that it may be Glenn’s parents coming to see Deacon play. Deacon was down on the floor very near to us talking with his friends during most of the time before the show. I recognized him immediately because I thought he looked exactly like a bigger version of Otis in those pictures we had seen of him and Glenn with Kareem Abdul-Jabbar recently. When it came time for Glenn and Deacon’s set, I could see how proud Glenn was of Deacon even before they started playing. He just kept looking over at Deacon with a huge smile on his face. I am so glad that I decided to go – it was really something special to see. Within 2 minutes after their set started, I saw spit start to fly out of Glenn's mouth. I thought for sure it was going to hit me. lol At the end of Hotel California, Glenn walked over to Deacon and gave him a big hug – it was very sweet. Before Glenn left the stage, he came over to us and bowed and said thanks to us. Then he went over to the other girls that were on the front row and did the same thing. I thought that was sweet of him to acknowledge us. So it goes without saying that we were all amazed when he came through the crowd to talk to us. Cindy was so nice to us, and was very easy to talk to. As Soda said, we felt very honored to have the chance to chat with them. And then, of course, when Glenn gave us our goodbye hugs and kisses, I was left almost breathless.

After we left once again on Cloud 9, we made the Troubadour our last stop. It just seemed the perfect ending to a perfect trip as we sat in the bar “where it all started” sipping our screwdrivers. Glenn Frey continues to amaze me each time I get an opportunity to see him. I can relate a lot to what the guy in Shwayze said, “I’ve gotta stop following major legends.” :wink:

Mrs Frey
04-15-2008, 02:48 AM

I'll do screen captures of that when I've regained consciousness, probably tomorrow.

Deacon really sounded like his father in IHYK. He will realise in time that the line is 'I could never be wit'choo' but apart from that...... :twisted: and I loved how Dad helped him out in GOI.

As for SKOW :smitten: :inlove: :partytime: oh man, oh man. It had everything. Moving his head around. Leaning back from the mic. Hand gestures.

FP, you are so funny! :lol: And so clever, too! I know how you feel, though, girlfriend - I watched the videos just before I packed up at work yesterday afternoon, and was blown away by Deacon's talent at such a young age, as well as touched by Glenn's :heart: obvious pride at his son doing so well. It's so important for parents to support and encourage their children, and Glenn :heart: seems to be a wonderful father. I actually felt quite emotional watching the love between father and son.

For some reason SKOW didn't download properly (only got the first few seconds), so I'll have to do it over. Therefore I am yet to be treated by all those Glennerisms you mention! I look forward to it! :nod:

Mrs Frey
04-15-2008, 02:56 AM
PLS let out a gasp as she noticed that the license plate number on our vehicle began with the letters GLF – could that have been any more perfect!!! I don’t think so.

It just seemed the perfect ending to a perfect trip as we sat in the bar “where it all started” sipping our screwdrivers. Glenn Frey continues to amaze me each time I get an opportunity to see him. I can relate a lot to what the guy in Shwayze said, “I’ve gotta stop following major legends.” :wink:

Dreamer, thanks for sharing your wonderful thoughts on your trip. I quoted those two parts particularly because firstly, I can identify with the first paragraph - I had that feeling when I was preparing for London that things were just meant to be.

I love the way you ended your post too - the way you quoted one of the members of Shwayze - how appropriate. It is clear why Glenn :heart: continues to amaze you - he truly is a wonderful person.

Mrs Frey
04-15-2008, 03:18 AM
Right, I downloaded SKOW over again and this time it worked. I've just watched it... :shock: :drool: :smitten: :inlove: :bow:

Glenn :heart: sure is some kind of wonderful. He has the energy of a man half his age. It seems sometimes that the guitar is holding him back - that he'd like to just let rip. His voice is so powerful and he is so charismatic. Lord have mercy on my heart... :fainting:

Soda, Dreamer and PLS, how I envy you standing so close to him during his performance! :jealous: But how grateful I am to be able share in those wonderful videos. Thank you so much!!! :hug:

sodascouts
04-15-2008, 04:28 AM
Soda and PLS... OMG!!!! I had time to read some of the links Soda posted, and I'm stunned! I have NO idea you were "connected" to the man. LOL

That's so cool that he had dubbed you his Angles! Really, I'd be freaking happy w/that nickname. I didn't get to read everything... but hot damn... what I did read.

You ladies sure now how to work it.

Did you guys ever get pictures of you all together w/Glenn?

I'm impressed w/your dedication to flying all over to see the man.

Oh, yes, that's me, a totally "connected" super-important insider....

NOT. lol

Believe me, I have no idea how to "work it"! We're just lucky that Glenn's such a great guy and so nice to his hardcore fans. We do have photos with Glenn - there's a few in the Pebble Beach thread.

As for flying all over - it seems that way, but really, I've only flown out to see him four times since I became a fan, and each time it was to California. Of course, I have also driven to Detroit and Canada, lol.

Since his solo shows are so few and far between, I jump on the chance to go to one when I can. It's not like the Eagles, who have been touring off and on for the past eight years. Who knows when Glenn will do another solo show.

He is such an amazing vocalist and musician, and a very compelling performer. Indeed, I can't get enough of his performances. He really takes it up a notch for live shows - puts it all out there, puts his heart into every song. His live renditions of You Are Not Alone and I Love to Watch a Woman Dance are incredibly affecting, as is I Dreamed There Was No War. He gets on the piano for solo shows - when he does The One You Love, it's staggering! He sings a lot more rock numbers for his solo shows, too - I love to hear him tearin' up Smuggler's Blues. He's always downplaying his talent as a guitarist, but when he does leads, he does 'em up right, and you get to see that more at a solo show. It's a completely different experience from an Eagles show, and I never tire of it.

He rocks and it's worth it every time.

Of course, this time, we got treated to two Freys and it only cost us 25 bucks! Now that's what I call a bargain! ;)

Mrs Frey
04-15-2008, 06:56 AM
You express your feelings so well, Soda. I can only dream of seeing one of Glenn's :heart: solo shows, although having watched his "Live In Dublin" DVD many times, I know just what you mean about Glenn :heart: solo being different from an Eagles experience.

He does seem to downplay his talents in order to showcase everyone else's - it is a wish of mine too that he play more lead guitar and piano at Eagles shows. As I recall, he only played piano once (on "I Can't Tell You Why") and did one guitar solo (on "Witchy Woman") at the 20 March London show.

I too cannot get enough of watching him perform - I've lost count as to how many times I've watched HFO and F1, as well as LID, and then there's the 1986 Japan concert... :fainting: I can listen to his voice all day - just listening to his albums is an experience in itself. I remember one evening playing "The Allnighter" album three times without a break. He is so versatile and dynamic to boot - he is never boring. His enjoyment of his music is contagious - one cannot help enjoying it with him.

Soda, you shouldn't downplay your dedication - flying to see your hero four times is impressive, and so are your mammoth drives too. Glenn :heart: is a wonderful person and is lovely towards his fans, but I'm sure that your dedication has really touched his heart.

Brooke
04-15-2008, 10:16 AM
Thanks for your review dreamer! I'm so very :jealous: of all three of you. What a wonderful time you had! :D

Perfect Little Sister
04-15-2008, 01:26 PM

FP, you are so funny! :lol: And so clever, too! I know how you feel, though, girlfriend - I watched the videos just before I packed up at work yesterday afternoon, and was blown away by Deacon's talent at such a young age, as well as touched by Glenn's :heart: obvious pride at his son doing so well. It's so important for parents to support and encourage their children, and Glenn :heart: seems to be a wonderful father. I actually felt quite emotional watching the love between father and son.

For some reason SKOW didn't download properly (only got the first few seconds), so I'll have to do it over. Therefore I am yet to be treated by all those Glennerisms you mention! I look forward to it! :nod:

I really enjoyed watching Glenn watch his son. lol He was so very proud of him, he could have burst. As Cindy said to me later, it was a very special night. I was very impressed with Deacon's talent. (with all the kids I saw that night) It was so precious at the beginning of the show. Deacon was a bit nervous, I'm sure, and he was kinda of shifting his weight from foot to foot. I said to Soda,"I've seen his daddy do that!" and then when they started into GOI, which is when I've seen Glenn do that, I just about cracked up. Glenn was watching Deacon really intently and saying the words with him when Deacon seemed to get a bit tongue tied. I don't think Glenn's feet touched the ground as he flew the three feet or so to his mic and helped his boy out. So sweet!

During SKOW, when he sang the "chills" line he did a little shudder. (It's hard to see on the clip.) ...I think I did a little shriek.

:blush:

Perfect Little Sister
04-15-2008, 01:49 PM
A few other thoughts:
I was kind of nervous taking pictures as we were right at Glenn's feet. In fact, I judged the distance and decided after Glenn left the stage I'd be able to reach a guitar pick if he dropped them as usual. Unfortunately for me, he didn't. I kept waiting for the "evil eye" or a head shake or pursed lips or even just a raised eyebrow letting me know he was unhappy with the camera, but he never idicated any displeasure to me. Of course, I wasn't using a flash so the pics aren't very clear. But then, maybe that's why he didn't seem bothered.

Deacon is an amazing guitar player! I was just blown away. As he played his solos, daddy was just grinning from ear to ear. Don Was seemed to also enjoy all the young talent surrounding him.

Before they ended their set with HC, Glenn did a bit of talking and then turned to the musicians to his left and asked if they were ready. He then turned towards Deacon and Nick Shapiro and asked if they were ready. Nick nodded, but Deacon gave daddy a very teenage "are you serious" look. I had to laugh.

I enjoyed watching Cisco and Shwayze even tho I couldnt' understand half the words. The problem with rap is I can't listen as fast as they talk.lol As far as rap goes, theirs was pretty clean. The best part for me was watching Shwayze's eyes. They were positively glowing with the joy of performing.

I was absolutely stunned when I turned to say something to Soda and saw Glenn coming thru the crowd towards us. He caught my eye and motioned to me. I went over and he hardly got two words out before Cindy stepped forward and introduced herself and she and I started talking as I shook her hand and Glenn just kinda stepped back. I guess he knew he'd never get a word in edge wise as two moms discussed the kids.lol After he had intro'd Deacon to us, I stepped around the others to say something to Glenn and as I reached him he gave me a hug and kiss on the cheek. Whatever I was going to say to him is gone forever. lol He is such a sweetheart. I used to think when he'd say how lucky he was to have found Cindy that it had to be the other way around. (as we've always said, she's the luckiest woman on earth) Having met her, Glenn is right. She is such a warm, friendly person. She didn't just put on a "PR" smile for hubby's fans. She was just as sweet and wonderful as can be. Smiling with her eyes. She radiated an inner beauty to go with how stunningly gorgeous she is. I can't believe that Glenn shared his family with us. I'm still blown away that he came out into the crowd to say hello to us. Granted, his security guard didn't have too much to do as most of the crowd probably goes to school with Deacon and didn't really care that his dad was walking around. lol But still...The man never ceases to amaze me.

sodascouts
04-15-2008, 01:54 PM
For those of you who like Daniel Powter, this user has uploaded his performance at the Roxy on April 11:

http://www.youtube.com/user/lajeandaniel

On "Free Loop" I think the drummer's hair at 0:29 looks a bit like a young Don Henley, and you can see Shapiro's early 70s Glenn-hair at 3:00 (lol) - and of course, hear the guy play! Don Was is also visible in that video.

sodascouts
04-15-2008, 02:12 PM
I enjoyed watching Cisco and Shwayze even tho I couldnt' understand half the words. The problem with rap is I can't listen as fast as they talk.lol As far as rap goes, theirs was pretty clean. The best part for me was watching Shwayze's eyes. They were positively glowing with the joy of performing.

I guess it's all relative - but I still cringe when I hear these guys singing about "preying on sluts" and tattooing their names on girl's boobs. They did perform with spirit, though, no doubt about that.

Nothing to add to the Frey-centric part of the post!;)

Brooke
04-15-2008, 04:28 PM
Thanks for your review, too, PLS. I'm so glad you had such a wonderful time!

I would have died and gone to heaven right then if Glenn would have hugged and kissed me! What a night! 8)

I'm surprised by the songs that Deacon picked to do. He probably thinks GOI and HC are pretty cool, rockin' songs even if his Dad did have something to do with them. :wink: Interesting that he chose Don's songs. He probably thought "I don't want do my Dad's songs! :roll: " :lol:

But, obviously, Glenn has spent a lot of time teaching him and working with him. 8)

Perfect Little Sister
04-15-2008, 04:55 PM

I guess it's all relative - but I still cringe when I hear these guys singing about "preying on sluts" and tattooing their names on girl's boobs. They did perform with spirit, though, no doubt about that.

Nothing to add to the Frey-centric part of the post!;)

Well, if you will remember, when Deacon sang "mirrors on the ceiling" I cringed and leaned over to say, "No, no, no...he can't know about mirrors on the ceiling! He's only 14!" lol

sodascouts
04-15-2008, 05:18 PM
I think he chose GOI and HC because they could highlight his guitar playing - besides, what fourteen-year-old boy doesn't wanna holler "I'd like to find your inner child and kick its little ass"? lol!

PLS - I shared your reaction to that one, lol.

glenneaglesfan
04-16-2008, 04:27 AM
I think he chose GOI and HC because they could highlight his guitar playing - besides, what fourteen-year-old boy doesn't wanna holler "I'd like to find your inner child and kick its little ass"? lol!

PLS - I shared your reaction to that one, lol.

Lol, Soda, I thought that too! PLS, certainly my boys would have some inkling of that line at 15. They are a lot less innocent than I was at their age. I only found out what 'lines on the mirror' were a couple of years ago!

Thank you, thank you for posting those videos, Soda! I was quite emotional watching Glenn and Deacon. Deacon is very talented as a singer and guitarist, and man, he knows how to give it his all. Glenn, well, he is SKOW... :blush:

Dreamer and PLS, thank you for your reviews. It must have been overwhelming to meet Cindy. What a wonderful man Glenn is to his fans, to introduce you to his lovely family, and it's so lovely to hear how sweet and natural Cindy is. They are both blessed.

Freypower
04-16-2008, 08:03 PM
I was imagining what went down in the Frey household:

'Dad, I wanna play Don's cool songs! I don't wanna play your soppy ballads'! :P

As a 15 year old male, I would imagine that Deacon probably prefers more of Don's Eagles songs to his father's at the moment, but that is a big assumption to make.

Regarding the footage of SKOW this is the FIRST time I have seen close up film of Glenn the solo performer since Dublin. :shock: I am staggered by the man's charisma. I just love the way he moves and the way he uses his voice. Deacon couldn't have a better teacher.

I have to say it was interesting to hear Glenn sing some of GOI, a song I love, and a song I believe the Eagles should still be playing. That was a song where I believe the lyrics were an equal collaboration instead of being mainly by Don. I make no apology for wishing that Glenn would do more songs in this vein. Much as I love him singing ballads when he rocks out like that he is awesome.

As far as MF's comment about him seeming restricted by the guitar 'that was a dream some of us had', to quote Joni Mitchell. He will only drop the guitar if the song is a slow ballad. I live in hope. I thought he could have performed Somebody without a guitar but that is not what he does.

sodascouts
04-16-2008, 09:05 PM
Fresh up on YouTube! This girl has zoom!

Get Over It (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GygW2H3w8Wg)

Hotel California Part 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RyXNa9-b2o)

Hotel California Part 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxtR6j1AS1M)

Freypower
04-16-2008, 09:52 PM
Good GRIEF. I just died and went to heaven. I haven't even done my 'official' screen shots yet from Soda's video.

I believe young Deacon has the paternal eyelashes. 8)

DonFan
04-16-2008, 10:14 PM

:rofl: :rofl:

Maleah
04-17-2008, 12:04 AM
Wow! I need to get a well paying job so i can just follow Soda around! LOL :D

Deacon is VERY good! How cute is it during the one part of GOI where he starts singing the wrong words (I think it's at "It's like going to confession....") and his Dad starts singing the right words for him. Deacon stops and listens to him and then kinda does this "oh yeah" motion with his head and starts singing again. SO cute :D

Maleah
04-17-2008, 12:08 AM
I also think it's cute how you can tell he has listened to these songs a lot because he does every little vocal twist or word that Don does when he sings it. I think he even does Don's "uhhh" after "she got the mercedes...." in the 2nd verse of HC. lol

sodascouts
04-17-2008, 12:38 AM
Maleah - I noticed that about the Mercedes "uh" too, lol. And I LOVE your hot new signature banner!

Maleah
04-17-2008, 12:43 AM
Thanks! :D I just absolutely fell in love with that photo!!!!

sodascouts
04-17-2008, 12:47 AM
Me too - it's one of my top 20 Don photos. I don't know what it is about it - perhaps all that sweat. ;)

Maleah
04-17-2008, 12:59 AM
That could definently have something to do with it! ;) And maybe the open neck of the henley? The expression on his face? The not overwhelming fro/facial hair combo? :D ;)

sodascouts
04-17-2008, 01:04 AM
Oh, the open neck of the henley is very nice. I find chests very sexy. I like to see them. ;)

sodascouts
04-17-2008, 02:07 AM
Back on topic - just got e-mailed this photo. It was taken by Gloria, one of the ladies we met at the Roxy, outside the venue before soundcheck:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/roxy2008/glennfreyroxy4-11-08.jpg

Mrs Frey
04-17-2008, 05:48 AM

As a 15 year old male, I would imagine that Deacon probably prefers more of Don's Eagles songs to his father's at the moment, but that is a big assumption to make.

Regarding the footage of SKOW this is the FIRST time I have seen close up film of Glenn the solo performer since Dublin. :shock: I am staggered by the man's charisma. I just love the way he moves and the way he uses his voice. Deacon couldn't have a better teacher.

I have to say it was interesting to hear Glenn sing some of GOI, a song I love, and a song I believe the Eagles should still be playing. That was a song where I believe the lyrics were an equal collaboration instead of being mainly by Don. I make no apology for wishing that Glenn would do more songs in this vein. Much as I love him singing ballads when he rocks out like that he is awesome.

As far as MF's comment about him seeming restricted by the guitar 'that was a dream some of us had', to quote Joni Mitchell. He will only drop the guitar if the song is a slow ballad. I live in hope. I thought he could have performed Somebody without a guitar but that is not what he does.

I love your take on what went on in the Frey household, FP! :lol:

I must agree with you about Glenn's :heart: charisma, the way he moves and the way he uses his voice. He's outstanding, isn't he? :heart:

I also agree with you that the Eagles should still be performing GOI. I love the song too, and it was great to hear Glenn :heart: sing some of it. One of my favourite Eagles guitar solos (if not my favourite!) is Glenn's :heart: bluesy intro and soaring lead break in this song. It leaves me quite breathless! :blush: How wonderful it was to see him do it again in this video, and have much the same expressions as he had for it in HFO. I love the way he moves his head from side to side in part of the lead break. He's such an exciting performer! Heaven help me... :heart: :heart: :heart:

Regarding your comment that Glenn :heart: will only drop the guitar when he sings a slow ballad, I know of one up-tempo song for which he dropped the guitar: when he performed "Livin' Right" in "Live In Dublin". Now THERE is a performance that I savour - his little dance during the instrumental solo gets me all giddy! :blush:

Mrs Frey
04-17-2008, 05:57 AM
Wow! I need to get a well paying job so i can just follow Soda around! LOL :D

Deacon is VERY good! How cute is it during the one part of GOI where he starts singing the wrong words (I think it's at "It's like going to confession....") and his Dad starts singing the right words for him. Deacon stops and listens to him and then kinda does this "oh yeah" motion with his head and starts singing again. SO cute :D

Maleah, if you get that well paying job, can you get me one too so that I can join you all? :wink: :lol:

You're very sharp to have noticed the expression on Deacon's face after his father started singing the correct words for him. I think I was too busy watching Glenn :heart: singing the song to notice Deacon's reaction! :blush: I checked it out on these new YouTube videos (which are fantastic, by the way - thanks for the links, Soda! :D ), and yes, it is very cute! Awwwwww...

Mrs Frey
04-17-2008, 06:01 AM
I also think it's cute how you can tell he has listened to these songs a lot because he does every little vocal twist or word that Don does when he sings it. I think he even does Don's "uhhh" after "she got the mercedes...." in the 2nd verse of HC. lol

It would seem that Deacon has inherited his dad's perfectionism and attention to detail! :nod: :nod: :nod: 8) :D

Mrs Frey
04-17-2008, 06:04 AM
Back on topic - just got e-mailed this photo. It was taken by Gloria, one of the ladies we met at the Roxy, outside the venue before soundcheck:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/roxy2008/glennfreyroxy4-11-08.jpg

This is great, Soda - thanks for posting! :D I love photos like this. How nice of the lady to e-mail it to you.

Oh, and I just wanted to say in response to one of your earlier posts - I find chests very sexy, too - particularly that of Mr Frey... :twisted: :blush:

Mrs Frey
04-17-2008, 06:09 AM
Just a thought: as wonderful as the YouTube videos are, I was wondering why the person recording it didn't record the complete GOI performance - I was looking forward to the guitar solo flourish at the end! Perhaps the battery died! :(

carol7lynn
04-17-2008, 09:05 AM
:|
Hi Nancy,Kay, & Melissa! I could have kicked myself for not staying to meet Glenn. But after spending over 6 hrs in line all we wanted to do was go home. Glad that you guys got to meet them though!

Carol-Lynn
SoCalGalNow

Mrs Frey
04-17-2008, 09:11 AM
Just a thought: as wonderful as the YouTube videos are, I was wondering why the person recording it didn't record the complete GOI performance - I was looking forward to the guitar solo flourish at the end! Perhaps the battery died! :(

Excuse me for having to quote myself, but I realised that my first attempt at downloading Soda's recording of GOI was not entirely successful - the entire song has indeed been recorded, even if the YouTube version does not feature everything! I've got it now! :D

Mrs Frey
04-17-2008, 09:13 AM
:|
Hi Nancy,Kay, & Melissa! I could have kicked myself for not staying to meet Glenn. But after spending over 6 hrs in line all we wanted to do was go home. Glad that you guys got to meet them though!

Carol-Lynn
SoCalGalNow

Welcome to The Border, Carol7lynn! :yay: :D How exciting for you to have attended this wonderful event. Six hours is indeed a long time to be in a queue, but I know it was all worth it! :nod:

Brooke
04-17-2008, 10:20 AM
CL, welcome from me, too! How cool you got to see Glenn and Deacon in this small atmosphere! 8)

Fp, love your take on the Frey household! And I agree, I think Deacon got the paternal eyelashes, too. He is a cutie!

Those new YouTube clips are great! I can just see and feel Glenn's pride in his son in those! :D

04-17-2008, 12:24 PM
Welcome to The Border from me too, Carol-Lynn. It was fun talking to you at the show last week. I am so sorry you weren't able to stick around, but I know you all must have been tired. We started to leave, then changed our minds and decided to check out Shwayze. Then, we went to the Troubadour and stayed for quite a while. We decided that there was no need to sleep since we had to be at the airport very early the next morning. I gotta admit, I'm still paying for it. I still haven't caught up on my sleep. :shock: :(

Anyway, tell Gloria hello and thanks for that pic of Glenn arriving for the sound check.

Glennsallnighter
04-17-2008, 12:32 PM
Fantastic work on those videos Soda, they really are fantastic.

Glenn :heart: certainly looks so proud of his son and Deacon played so well. In fact you could see how well they both interacted with and took their cues from each other.

It must have been a very proud moment for all of the extended Frey family to see father and son playing together so well.

And for the record MF and Soda I too love Mr Freys chest -the more of it I see the happier I am! :wink:

Dreamer, I'm sure sleep has been secondary this week. Don't worry, plenty of time to catch up :wink:

sodascouts
04-17-2008, 02:56 PM
Welcome Carol Lynn! It was great meeting you and Gloria. Yeah, you missed out on the tail end, but we still had a pretty good time, eh? ;)

Perfect Little Sister
04-17-2008, 03:20 PM
Well, honestly, if Victor hadn't looked me in the eye and made a "stay right there" motion with his hand when he said he'd find me a pick I'd have probably left before Shwayze was done. Of course, the little stinker either forgot or never intended to give me one in the first place since he never came back after he finished the load out. If he forgot, I forgive him. If he lied...for shame, his momma raised him better. :fingerwag:

Welcome to The Border Carol-Lynn! :bye: Hope you have a ton of fun here!

btw-for some inane reason, Shwayze's buzzin has been going thru my head this morning. :roll:

sodascouts
04-17-2008, 03:22 PM
"She was buzzin' all over me, buzzin' all over me, buzzin' all over me like she fell in love!" (That part? lol)

Perfect Little Sister
04-17-2008, 04:26 PM
:lol: Yes!! That's the only part I know!

Freypower
04-17-2008, 06:30 PM
Welcome Carol Lynn.

MF, I deliberately didn't mention the 'no guitar in Livin' Right' thing because it was a long time ago.

AzEaglesFan
04-17-2008, 07:46 PM
When one of you get a chance will you please post a picture of Cindy Frey. I would love to see what she looks like and I can't get the video to play that she in on. The only wife I have seen so far is Timothy's wife and Joe's girlfriend. I would also like to see what Don's wife looks like. I have heard him describe her as beautiful and thought that was so sweet of him to describe her that way.

Perfect Little Sister
04-17-2008, 07:52 PM
Here's a pic of the two of them that was in a magazine spread around 2000. I think. I'm terrible with details.

http://www.glennfreyonline.com/images/GFreyCindyHG2000.jpg

Freypower
04-17-2008, 08:02 PM
Here are a couple:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/ozeagle/MrsRight.jpg

This is the most recent one I have, at the Lupus Gala in 2006, I think.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/ozeagle/Solo%20Years/LupusGalaWithCindy.jpg

04-17-2008, 08:17 PM
Here's the only one I could find of Sharon Henley. I think it may be one of only a few photographs that I've ever seen of her.

http://www.donhenleyonline.com/images/DHenleyPhilanthropy04.jpg

AzEaglesFan
04-17-2008, 08:24 PM
Thank you so much. They are both good looking ladies. I would be so jealous except they seem to make their husband so happy.

Maleah
04-17-2008, 11:51 PM
\I think my favorite photo of Cindy is the one with her, Glenn, their daughter, and one of their sons. I don't know where to find it right now...but she looks absolutely gorgeous in it!!

sodascouts
04-18-2008, 12:19 AM
This is a huge one, but I couldn't bear to shrink it! It's the one you're thinking of, Maleah, if I'm right:

http://www.glennfreyonline.com/images/FreysTC01.jpg

This one is from that same magazine:

http://www.glennfreyonline.com/images/FreysTC02.jpg

Maleah
04-18-2008, 12:30 AM
yep, that's the one! She is gorgeous in that photo! Then again, it's an adorable photo all together! lol

The 2nd one is a great picture of her as well!

AzEaglesFan
04-18-2008, 12:45 AM
Their little girl has the most beautiful eyes. Glenn better get a shot gun ready for when she get about 16 years old. :wink:

Maleah
04-18-2008, 12:48 AM
Their little girl has the most beautiful eyes. Glenn better get a shot gun ready for when she get about 16 years old. :wink:

That's the first thing that I thought the first time I saw that picture too :lol:

AzEaglesFan
04-18-2008, 12:55 AM
You know what they say about great minds thinking alike. :roll:

Mrs Frey
04-18-2008, 03:07 AM
Thanks for the photos and links, FP, PLS, Dreamer and Soda. They are all very lovely. The Frey family is certainly very beautiful.

FP, thanks particularly for the first Glenn :heart: and Cindy pic you posted - I've never seen that one before.

Dreamer, thanks for the photo of Don and Sharon. I've only seen one other photo of the two of them together.

Glennsallnighter
04-18-2008, 04:33 AM

She is! I hope that shotgun is ready!

glenneaglesfan
04-18-2008, 12:26 PM
Both Cindy and Sharon are beautiful, and their husbands so handsome. It's lovely to see them all looking so happy. Taylor and Deacon are both very fine kids. If Deacon has just turned 15, Taylor must be 17 now, so watch out, Glenn and Cindy!

Btw, I haven't had a chance yet to welcome you to the Border, AzEF, it's great to have you here!

glenneaglesfan
04-18-2008, 12:30 PM
Both Cindy and Sharon are beautiful, and their husbands so handsome. It's lovely to see them all looking so happy. Taylor and Deacon are both very fine kids. If Deacon has just turned 15, Taylor must be 17 now, so watch out, Glenn and Cindy!

Btw, I haven't had a chance yet to welcome you to the Border, AzEF, it's great to have you here!

Carol7Lynn, welcome from me as well! How very cool that you got to the Roxy show, even after such a long wait. Thanks to Gloria for that photo of Glenn. I love the thought of Glenn driving Deacon to a soundcheck, and then back later for the show.

04-18-2008, 02:50 PM
Yeah - I believe Taylor's birthday is in March, so she would have just turned 17. And she was also very pretty, striking young lady when we saw her at Niagara Falls. She looks a lot like her mother. The Frey family is a very handsome bunch, indeed.

Not surprizingly, Don's family seems to be a lot more private. As I said, I've only ever seen a couple of pictures of Sharon, and I don't think I've seen a recent picture of any of his children.

Glennsallnighter
04-18-2008, 04:47 PM
In fairness, the way some families bandy their kids around both the Frey and Henley families seem to be very private which of course is their right. I suppose both Glenn :heart: and Don want their kids to have as normal a childhood as they can, which IMHO is good and leads to much more stable adults. Its hard enough to bring up kids without having to do it in the media glare.

Its obvious too how supportive both Sharon and Cindy are to their husbands.

glenneaglesfan
04-26-2008, 07:32 AM
I've found another review, from one of Deacon's godparents! :shock:

http://superflat.typepad.com/nevermindthebricolage/2008/04/rock-gods-and-o.html

Rock Gods and Other Tales

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c96/Glenneaglesfan/Glenn/Rockgods.jpg

The photo is of my godson and his dad playing together along with Don Was and a couple of other young musicians at an AIDS benefit held last night at the Roxy on Sunset. I went with a determination to support the event, developed and produced by a group of teenagers at their school, but with a little gritting of teeth at the thought of sitting through endless jam sessions from 14+15 year-old guitar-hero wannabes. Well, wasn't I surprised! Mostly, because these young people were a musical revelation. They occasionally had support from some major musical partners (Don Was, Glenn Frey), a guest with a couple of hit songs--Daniel Powter, but mainly it was just the kids doing their thing, and it was good, really good, there were some really gifted musicians playing on-stage and giving the professionals a run for their money. There were also some adventurous musical choices--Steely Dan (I know?! Kid Charlemagne--not the easiest song to play), Stevie Wonder (I Wish--likewise on the difficulty scale), The Doors, as well as the usual twelve-bar blues numbers that get the audience rocking.

It was definitely an evening of classic rock music--there was one DJ act--local party-animal, Cisco Adler, who offered up some nice, melodic, old-school call and response hip-hop, but guitars and long hair ruled the evening.
I had a great conversation with Bob Clearmountain--one of the best mixers around--about music--Bowie's Let's Dance, one of his 'mix-jobs,' was playing as we spoke. It turned out that he recently mixed the Rolling Stones documentary Shine A Light, which I have seen twice now--once for fun, the second time for the theology and pop music class. He said that he thought Silver and Gold, Keith Richards tender acoustic number in the film, was his favourite musical moment, and I have to agree.
The Roxy is a landmark gig in Los Angeles. For years it was the debut venue in this city--everybody played there---AC/DC even played there back in the day when we first toured America. Now it feels as though it is locked in a bit of a time-warp, especially because the Rainbow is still chugging away next door--you can still see big-hair metal-heads in large numbers hanging out there--it's a trip, nice to visit but somehow not the nexus of the music universe anymore.
There was a serious issue--AIDS, particularly as it plays out among teenagers both here in the US and around the world and the group of teens who organized the event had obviously done their homework--both about the issue, but also about presentation--videos, written materials, sign-ups etc. It was quite an inspiring night actually, and the music was fun.

04-26-2008, 12:20 PM
Wow GEF - what a find. Thanks a bunch for posting that.

sodascouts
04-26-2008, 01:28 PM
Cool - thanks for posting that!

Perfect Little Sister
04-28-2008, 02:23 PM
That was great GEF, thanks for posting it. I have to agree with him, the talent of those young people was absolutely amazing! They also handled themselves with a degree of professionalism that surprised and impressed me.

Glennsallnighter
04-28-2008, 04:51 PM
Well what a fitting place for Deacon to make his debut into the musical world. I'm sure we'll hear a lot more from him in the future! Hope so anyway!!

glenneaglesfan
05-15-2008, 01:00 PM
Check out these great pics on flickr! 8) There are about 12. Deacon's band is called the Xrdrs!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/theroxyblog/2470394598/in/set-72157604324069811/

Mrs Frey
05-16-2008, 02:26 AM
WOW, WOW, WOW, GEF!!! :shock: Thanks for the link!

sodascouts
07-29-2008, 07:19 PM
Found more photos on this girl's MySpace blog - and they're great!

Kelly's MySpace Blog (http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=45179291&blogID=385556958)

Freypower
07-29-2008, 08:45 PM
thank you Soda....

:fainting: :fainted: :jawdrop:

Brooke
07-29-2008, 09:20 PM
Whoa! I second that! :jawdrop: :fainting: :fainted:

07-29-2008, 11:24 PM
Okay who am I to argue with the two of you ...

:jawdrop: :fainting: :fainted:

Glennsallnighter
07-30-2008, 02:30 AM
If I too could just add my opinion........ :jawdrop:

Mrs Frey
07-30-2008, 02:37 AM
THANK YOU, SODA!!! :smitten: I... uh... um...

:fainted:

glenneaglesfan
07-30-2008, 03:11 PM
Oh good grief! Those are stunning. :shock: :smitten: :D

Thanks for the link, Soda!

Mrs Henley
07-30-2008, 03:13 PM
Wow those are great! :D
Thanks Soda!

Mrs Henley
07-30-2008, 03:19 PM
Here's the only one I could find of Sharon Henley. I think it may be one of only a few photographs that I've ever seen of her.

http://www.donhenleyonline.com/images/DHenleyPhilanthropy04.jpg

I've got an another pic of Sharon and Don (it's blue but OK)
http://i322.photobucket.com/albums/nn416/xfuckingxrockstarx/SharonandDOn.jpg

I have somewhere a couple of photos of Sharon :lol:

The only photo of the kids I've seen is one of Annabel when she was in the 4th grade or something.

08-10-2008, 12:47 AM
I have somewhere a couple of photos of Sharon :lol:

The only photo of the kids I've seen is one of Annabel when she was in the 4th grade or something.

Sorry - I'm just getting around to responding to this, but it would be great to see these, MH. Is it possible to post the photos here or a link to them?

sodascouts
08-17-2008, 06:51 PM
If you do want to post the Sharon Henley photos, MH, it would be a good idea to do it in the Henley forum. They'd get lost in here. :)