PDA

View Full Version : London, England 03-26-08

Toonlass
03-26-2008, 08:47 PM
Sainted Aunt.

This is from both WM and myself.

We're shattered. We just got back, changed out of our gladrags into our jammies and came here!!!!

First WM says "hello!!!" and misses you all like crazy.

Second Toonie says "Why do I have to do all the typing?"

WM "Because you're the one sitting on the computer chair"

Toonie "Oh yeah....."

Anyway...The concert was fabulous. Unfortunetly, there was no Rocky Mountain Way or All She Wants to Do is Dance, there were technical faults which took time to sort out and they were late coming on stage which meant time was short.

The suits were same as always, Joe had slicked hair (boo) which ended up floppy (yay). Glenn enjoyed a lot of banter with the audience, band members and backing band. Don was very charming and funny. Joe was his usual wonderful, crazy self. Timmy was generous to the audience as usual and looked fantastic, as did they all.

The sound didn't seem to great tonight, maybe it was where we were sitting, but a few of the songs sounded a little tinny and Boys of Summer sounded really fast. Their voices were top notch and the music was terrific. We especially enjoyed the little competition between Glenn and Joe before Funk 49. Joe would play a chord, Glenn would do the same one until Joe did something a little more extravagant and Glenn looked at the audience and said "huh" shrugged his shoulders and walked away.

Glenn introduced the band (a little later then normal we thought), including himself and proceeded to explain to the audience that "in Detroit mother is half a word". Before Glenn had began to speak, Elsbeth predicted that he would say it. LOL!

We were amazed by the audience throughout the concert. A significant amount of them didn't make it back to their seats after the interval. Ten minutes into the the second half people were still coming in. A lot of people around us left during Heartache Tonight, although we didn't mind as it gave us more room to dance!

Sorry its a bit sketchy but we are quite tired, but felt we had to write something straight away! If we can think of anymore we'll write tomorrow.

One last amusing note before we go... on the tube home, a bloke sat opposite us and said he saw us at the concert. He said we looked like we having a great time and he wanted to join us for that reason so he could let loose. He said he was amazed we knew all the words and if we were real fans we should be waiting at the stage door for autographs. LOL.

DonFan
03-26-2008, 09:05 PM
I'm glad you two had such a great time, Toonie! Sorry there was no RMW or ASWTDID, though.
After you have rested a bit, can we have some more details? What was your favorite new song performed live? Did you get any pictures? And what did Don say that was funny & charming? He doesn't talk too much so I love to hear what he has to say.

Mrs Frey
03-27-2008, 02:45 AM
Oh, I'm so happy for you, Toonlass and WM! :yay: :D

I can imagine how tired and drained you must have been feeling after the concert, because of your intense excitement (which is why I needed a few days to compose my review), but thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts and feelings with us. It's a pity that your show was shorter because of the technical difficulties, but it's great that the boys were so loose and relaxed, especially Glenn :heart: and Don. The Detroit joke is hilarious!

It's certainly true that a band feeds off an audience as much as the audience responds to a band - I speak from experience. On opening night, the boys were probably a little nervous and conscious of giving a flawless performance, knowing that there'd be sharks (reviewers such as the twit from The Guardian :roll: ) out there watching their every move, so the banter was kept to a minimum. More than that, though, the audience was reticent, and preferred to sit down, much to GA's and my discomfort. It was only during the last few songs (as I mentioned in my review) that they stood up. It's probably also for this reason that they didn't do much talking.

It's wonderful that you found a fellow fan on the tube home. GEF and I actually bumped into three American fans the following day while we were waiting at a bus station near the Hard Rock Cafe. Two of them had flown in, but they had planned to visit their American friend who lives in London. It just so happens that the Eagles were in town at the same time, so they decided to go on opening night. They were amazed that I had flown in from so far away to see the boys (and I had always thought that the States were further away from the UK than South Africa!), and we shared some thoughts about the concert. The three of them were Don fans in particular, and it was funny when I told them that GEF and I are Glenn :heart: fans, as they gave a little "Woo hoo hoo" as if it was us versus them! :lol: It was good natured, though.

It's amazing to me how people can come in halfway through a show - it's the ultimate in bad manners :evil: . In addition to that, I cannot believe that people were going home halfway through "Heartache Tonight"! :shock: I can't remember if I mentioned this in my review, but two people who had FRONT ROW tickets, sitting almost directly in front of GA, Timtot and me, came in halfway through the second half of the show! What GA and I would have given for the tickets they had, and they didn't appreciate it! :evil:

Glennsallnighter
03-27-2008, 04:59 AM
Nice to hear from you again WM, and I'm delighterd you and Toonie had such a good night. I'd have loved to hear Glenn :heart: bantering with the crowd and the boys certainly seem to have been a bit more relaxed as they finished their London dates for the moment.

TT and I also met some fans on our last tube home. Needless to say TT regaled them with our experiences while I just basked in the memory of my Glenn :heart: tact.

MF I totally agree with you. Unless there is a very genuine reason (and sometimes they can be unavoidable) it is extremely rude and thoughtless to leave such good seats vacant for so long.

glenneaglesfan
03-27-2008, 07:16 AM
Woohoo! Toonie and WM, thanks for that great review, and glad you had a good time. It does sound as if Glenn was in good form. I really believe they may all have been a bit nervous on the opening night, wondering how the songs from the new album would go down. Good thing GA and MF were there to encourage them!!

Look forward to hearing more of your thoughts when you've had time to recover!

sodascouts
03-27-2008, 10:11 AM
Thanks Toonie and WM - we appreciate your promptness because we're all dying for details. Let's hope RMW and ASWTDID are only temporarily dropped. I remember late in the European 2006 tour those went away for good!

Thanks again!

Brooke
03-27-2008, 10:12 AM
Thanks so much for the review, toon and WM. I'm so glad you got to go and had such a wonderful time!

I would be totally bummed if I couldn't stand up and dance during a rock concert. Do these people think they are at a symphony or what?! :roll:

Mrs Frey
03-27-2008, 10:34 AM
Hear hear, Brooke! :nod:

Molly
03-27-2008, 05:17 PM
I would be totally bummed if I couldn't stand up and dance during a rock concert. Do these people think they are at a symphony or what?! :roll:

That always drives me crazy, too. Unless, of course, the person in front on me is 6 1/2 feet tall. Then, I completely change my vote!

Thanks for the review, Toonie! Hope we keep hearing from you and WM -we miss you both!

tbs fanatic
03-31-2008, 12:02 PM
Thanks for the great review. I cannot believe a lot of people left half way through :shock: :shock: Unbelievable!! What is wrong with them??????

Ive always been a dreamer
04-05-2008, 04:48 PM
Toonie and WM - Sorry for not responding sooner, but I am so glad that you both got to go to one of the London shows. Thanks for the excellent review and glad you guys had such a great time. And, of course, you knew all the words to the song! :doh:

Witchy Mummy
04-12-2008, 11:34 AM
Just wanted to post a quick review for you. Sorry I haven't been around lately. I've missed you lots.

The lead up to the concert was so strange. We had last minute tickets and the time just flew. We were so excited on the day. Toonie had made a CD of the set list so we could listen to it round at her place. I got ready about two hours too early and decided to head round to my sister’s so I could bug her instead of Mr WM :twisted: Toonie's poor boyfriend was very good at coping with our excitement. He even gave us a rendition of Hotel California on his acoustic guitar. It was very good! He then told us to get lost (in the nicest possible way) because he could feel the excited and nervous energy!!

We left very early and got there really quickly. It’s practically round the corner from where we live. We got something to eat, made a toilet stop and picked up our tickets. Then we headed to where we needed to be to get to our seats. We figured out that we would be up on the right hand side if you look towards to the stage. Still level one. We were let in and were told to line up outside the entrance of the arena. Once in we made our way up the escalators and into the arena. We had that moment when you take a short sharp breath in and say “this is really happening!”. The seats at the very top scared me quite a lot. The were so high up! As someone who suffers from vertigo the thought of being up there was torture.

We found our seats and were very happy with them. We had a good clear view. We were then a little cheeky and asked one of the security blokes if we could get a message to smokey. I think he thought we were mad stalkers! We spotted a few familiar faces. Victor, Glenn’s Tech, who we flirted with shamelessly to get some picks at Wembley, remember TF :wink: And another man who we remembered as being quite scary at Wembley. He was at the M&G. The hour flew by. The didn’t come on stage on time but we didn’t have to wait long. They flew straight into How Long and we were on our way.

The new songs sounded great. Their voices were spot on and I was blown away again. Don was very charming as Toonie mentioned. He seemed to really want to connect with the crowd. He cracked a few jokes. He said they were all dying of smoke inhalation on stage but it made the lights look pretty and that was the main thing. Glenn was very charming too. He did the credit card joke but no plaintiff joke. Glenn made a very cute speech about them not minding if we took a few snaps but they would rather not be filmed. He said they would like to keep control that. He was so embarrassed by this, you cold see it on his face. He then said “let’s carry on and pretend like I didn’t just say that“. During Peaceful easy feeling Glenn sang “I like the way your sparkling earrings swing“, instead of sway or lay. Joe was definitely on form. We think we prefer the helmet cam instead of the cap cam, which he forgot to introduce. After LROOE Joe turned to Stuert and shook his hand. You could see the mutual respect. Tim was perfect as usual. The crowd went wild for him when they heard to opening bars of ‘I Can’t Tell You Why’. They all seemed to be relaxed and really enjoying themselves. The new songs went down very well. I was a little disappointed not to hear some old favourites like NKIT and TS. They even managed some audience participation. During TITTL you could hear that just about everyone was singing along. Towards the end Glenn sang “Take it to the limit” and then stopped. We all then sang back “One more Time”. It was a lot of fun and were so sad when they decided to drop two songs. My favourite song of the evening is so hard to choose. Out of the new songs I loved LROOE. Hearing it live was breathtaking. I loved hearing all the old favourites too. Toonie smiled when Witchy Woman came on. We changed the words a few times to witchy mummy. Joe’s songs were big hits with the crowd and we loved the video clips on the screen behind the stage. A nice touch. All in all an unforgettable evening once again.

I’m sure there is probably loads I have missed out. I think Toonie got some pictures. I’ll see if she can post them.

DonFan
04-12-2008, 12:19 PM
Great review, WM!!
I know just how you feel about the song Witchy Woman. I have unoffically adopted that song as my song, too, due to my day-before-Halloween birthday, the day I share with Timothy. Of course, Don's haunting vocals send me right over the edge, too! :twisted:

Brooke
04-12-2008, 02:24 PM
Thank you WM! It's great to get your review. Sounds like another wonderful evening.

Now, don't be a stranger! Come back soon! :D

Witchy Mummy
04-12-2008, 02:40 PM
Thanks girls! It was wonderful.

Brooke - I've set aside this evening to go through the board and catch up :shock: It's nice to be back :D

Glennsallnighter
04-12-2008, 05:38 PM
Fantastic review WM! I could feel the excitement in it! I'm so glad you had such a good time. I can't believe Glenn :heart: didn't make his 'Plaintiff' joke, he must have been nervous. I'm glad he didn't mind the snaps being taken as I took quite a lot at the 20th gig. Will you check out my WW vid on youtube if you get a chance please. The boys looked really hot in it. Thanks

Oh and I'm planning a big Eagles party if the boys make it to Dublin :wink:

timfan
04-12-2008, 05:57 PM
We spotted a few familiar faces. Victor, Glenn’s Tech, who we flirted with shamelessly to get some picks at Wembley, remember TF :wink: .

Oh YES I remember that night and Victor VERY WELL! :P :D What fun!!

I'm so glad you both had such a fabulous time and I can just picture Glenn making the speech ( about filming) rather sheepishly and then saying "let's move on" :D Thanks for sharing with all of us, the memories of your "Eagles" night!

sodascouts
04-13-2008, 04:32 PM
WM, thanks so much for your review and the extra details. It's a delight to hear from you again!

I think it's interesting that Glenn feels bad for asking folks not to film. He must know what a drag that is, and he really cares about his fan's feelings. I admire that, but I still hope that maybe one day he'll change his mind and realize YouTube is his friend.

Mrs Frey
04-14-2008, 04:47 AM
Welcome back, WM! :yay: Thanks for your wonderful review - I really enjoyed reading it. :D :D :D

When I read about Glenn's :heart: embarrassment regarding asking the fans not to film them, I let out a big "awwwwwwwwww..." I think Don probably has more of a problem with it than he does, although goodness knows why. Glenn :heart: is such a sweetheart - I just adore him.:hug:

Toonlass
06-02-2008, 03:53 AM
Here is one of the photos from the night, it shows the moment when Glenn and Joe were trading guitar licks and Glenn realised it was a little too far for him. Its not the best quality, but its really cute

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/Toonlass/GlennJoe-.jpg

I will be going through the rest later and posting some more :)

Mrs Henley
06-02-2008, 05:00 AM
Great reviews!! :D

Brooke
06-02-2008, 10:30 AM
Very cute, toon! Thanks!

Glennsallnighter
06-02-2008, 04:43 PM
Here is one of the photos from the night, it shows the moment when Glenn and Joe were trading guitar licks and Glenn realised it was a little too far for him. Its not the best quality, but its really cute

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/Toonlass/GlennJoe-.jpg

I will be going through the rest later and posting some more :)

Oh Toonie, its VERY cute! Great to have you back! I'm really looking forward to seeing some more of your pics.

glenneaglesfan
06-02-2008, 05:33 PM
Toon, welcome back, and thanks for that great picure of Glenn and Joe. I absolutely loved that moment. It's why we love 'em so much!!! We are really looking forward to your next photos.[/b]

Mrs Frey
06-03-2008, 03:09 AM
Great picture, Toonlass! :D Thanks for sharing it with us. I can't wait to see the rest! :blueblob:

Toonlass
06-07-2008, 05:33 PM
Here are a couple of others I managed to sort out

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/Toonlass/Don-.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/Toonlass/Timmy-.jpg

The others need a little more time spent on them to see if I can improve the colour problems.

DonFan
06-07-2008, 05:51 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/Toonlass/Don-.jpg

Lovely, Toonie! Thanks for posting!

Glennsallnighter
06-08-2008, 04:51 AM
Yep, thanks Toonie!! :D

glenneaglesfan
06-08-2008, 06:05 AM
Thanks for those, Toon!

Ive always been a dreamer
06-08-2008, 11:00 AM
YUMMY!!!!

Mrs Frey
06-09-2008, 02:22 AM
Lovely, Toonlass! :D Can't wait to see more!

sodascouts
06-09-2008, 09:38 AM
Nice photos, Toon. Thanks for posting 'em!