PDA

View Full Version : Charlottesville, VA 5-21-08

zermie
05-22-2008, 10:46 AM
I wanted to post a few quick thoughts on the Charlottesville show, first, I tried but could not find Dreamer and Molly, sorry guys ! The show was spectacular, far better than F1. The new material has given the live show a boost of energy and enthusiasm. Joe did some great guitar work on LROOE and Somebody, which should be a single, IMO. The only voice that sounded slightly off was TBS and by just a little bit. Weeds live was as great as could be. Steuart got a big ovation during band intro's from the Virginia crowd. Also, I noticed outside the arena near the equipment truck were 4 huge RV's, presumably one for each band member, a far cry from the camper things shown on the HFO video. By far the best Eagles gig I have ever seen.

samo
05-22-2008, 10:52 AM
I am so glad that you had a great time Zermie! Hearing the songs live does add something extra special. Thanks for the report :D

Mrs Frey
05-22-2008, 10:53 AM
That sounds very exciting, Zermie! Thanks for those thoughts. I can't wait to hear more! :D

Glennsallnighter
05-22-2008, 12:17 PM
Looks like you had a wonderful time Zermie, even if you didn't manage to meet up with Dreamer or Molly. I too am looking forward to your review.

DonFan
05-22-2008, 01:11 PM
Thanks for the short review, Zermie. I am with you--the new songs ARE a great addition to the Eagles' live show.

Brooke
05-22-2008, 03:56 PM
Thanks for the thoughts, Zermie! Sounds like it was great!

Haven't heard from Molly and dreamer. Hmmmmmm. You don't suppose they have gotten themselves into some kind of trouble?!

:shrug: :huh:

cmooreNC
05-22-2008, 08:25 PM
Thanks for the thoughts, Zermie! Sounds like it was great!

Haven't heard from Molly and dreamer. Hmmmmmm. You don't suppose they have gotten themselves into some kind of trouble?!

:shrug: :huh:

It will probably take them awhile to return to earth, I think. :wink:

Molly
05-22-2008, 09:33 PM
Hi everyone, just got back from the airport an hour ago. I'm dead tired, but I'll give it a shot posting some thoughts. Dreamer was the one jotting down some notes, so she'll have the details.

First off... WOO HOO!!!! Finally, I have a show under my belt and it was certainly well worth the wait! It certainly was the fastest 3 plus hours of my life.

We were seated 4th row off center between Timmy and Glenn. The seats themselves were very good -unfortunately, we had an incredibly massive man and his equally tall wife sit right in front of dreamer and I. My view of Glenn was somewhat obstructed, but I did my best standing on my tippy toes (my calves are reminding me of that today). I guess my whole feeling about the ILAA experience is pretty much "been there done that". Our "swag" was a "leather" bound LROOE journal. :? I guess we're supposed to journal our thoughts about the show?? I think mine will be going to work with me so when I daydream during a long boring meeting I have something to focus on.

We had an adorable little girl right in front of me (probably around 4 years old) and she knew the lyrics to pretty much every song. By the end of the night she had received waves and faces from both Timmy and Glenn and a pick from Tim. I tried to tell her she should blow them some kisses, but she was too shy for that.

Waiting in the Weeds and No More Walks in the Woods are magnificant live! Actually, I thought all of the new songs were fantastic live.

They lost their suit jackets a little after the "seated" portion of the second half. Much to Karen Z's delight -Timmy left his shirt tucked in for a few songs so she could check out the tailoring on his pants.

Glenn did band introductions including everyone again. He introduced Joe as the "former governor of New Jersey". Don was the "Pride of Linden, TX". He did his high pitched voice, covering his mouth as though someone else was saying it and introduced himself as "a really cool guy from Detroit". During the intros, Timmy stood in the background near the drum kit and did a little dance and hand gesture thing pointing at each person being introduced.

During the "seated portion", Glenn asked if anyone had the new CD. (Huge long ovation). He smiled and sighed and said, "Ahhh, I love that story!" ( Smiles between Don and Glenn.)

We only got one encore. The skipped doing Rocky Mountain Way and All She Wants to do is Dance. :? :(

As they were walking off waving to the crowd, they came to our side of the stage. As Glenn waved and took some steps backwards, he turned to walk offstage and came very close to totally falling over an amplifier. (GASP!!! :shock: )
He regained his balance with some assistance from Timothy, but it was close.

As I said, dreamer was the note taker, so she'll have the song by song details.

After I get some more labrador lovin' from my two girls, I'm heading off to bed early for some sweet dreams!

And yes, PLS and MF, I am no longer an Eagle-virgin. So, that pretty much puts an end to any kind of innocence and virtue I may have had left!
:pimp: :pimp: :pimp: :pimp: :pimp: :pimp: :pimp: :pimp: :pimp:

Freypower
05-22-2008, 10:29 PM
Yay, Molly! Great review! And you too Zermie!

I guess the 'falling over' the amplifier moment will stay with you, huh? :shock:

Ive always been a dreamer
05-22-2008, 10:44 PM
Hi everyone - Just wanted to check in here to say that last night's show was AWESOME!

Unfortunately, I'm way too tired to write up much tonight. I'll try to gather my thoughts and write up something tomorrow.

Molly, Karen Z, and I had a wonderful time as we always do when we are together. This was the first ILAA experience for all of us, and I'm still trying to decide what I really thought of it. Zermie, sorry we missed you. I looked around to try to find you, but to no avail. My cell phone would totally not work inside the arena.

glenneaglesfan
05-23-2008, 04:31 AM
Awesome reviews, Zermie and Molly! Thank you both! Molly, I hadn't grasped that this was your first time. So glad you enjoyed it, especially the new songs live.

If Glenn had really tripped up I'd have been onstage in a flash to render first aid!

Can't wait to read your review, dreamer, although it will be Sunday before I get a chance.

TimothyBFan
05-23-2008, 07:58 AM
We had an adorable little girl right in front of me (probably around 4 years old) and she knew the lyrics to pretty much every song. By the end of the night she had received waves and faces from both Timmy and Glenn and a pick from Tim. I tried to tell her she should blow them some kisses, but she was too shy for that.

They lost their suit jackets a little after the "seated" portion of the second half. Much to Karen Z's delight -Timmy left his shirt tucked in for a few songs so she could check out the tailoring on his pants.

Glad you enjoyed your first time (still waiting for mine I'm afraid). Now if that had been me, I probably would have beat up the cute little girl for the pick :fight: -oh I would of felt bad later but the heat of the moment would of gotten the better of me then! :blush: Sure can't blame Karen for checking out the "tailoring" on Timothy's pants :drool: -Who wouldn't?

Brooke
05-23-2008, 09:46 AM
Oh, Molly! What a wonderful first time for you! :twisted: Sounds fabulous! Thanks for the review! :D

samo
05-23-2008, 10:03 AM
Molly, I am so glad you had a great time at your first concert. I loved your review.

Being a bit clumsy myself, I can relate about tripping over stuff. I am so glad that Glenn did not get hurt....

Mrs Frey
05-23-2008, 10:57 AM
Molly, what a wonderful review! :D :D :D I really enjoyed reading it, and I'm so happy for you!:yay:

Wow, poor Glenn :heart:, nearly tripping over an amplifier! His heart must have been in his throat! :shock: At least he's okay (GEF, I can imagine how quickly you would have come to Glenn's :heart: assistance had he indeed tripped if you had been there! :wink: ).

When I read Glenn's :heart: comment after the crowd's response to his question about having got the new album, it immediately reminded me of his response to "Diane" on the Don Lane interview of 1988. One and the same! He's so sweet.

It's wonderful that a four-year-old girl knows lyrics to all the Eagles songs. What exquisite taste for such a young lady! :nod: I'm sure Glenn :heart: and Timothy were extremely pleased with her.

I can't wait to read Dreamer's account, especially after the previous wonderful review she wrote!

Once again, Molly, I'm so happy for you!

Mrs Frey
05-23-2008, 10:58 AM

Glad you enjoyed your first time (still waiting for mine I'm afraid). Now if that had been me, I probably would have beat up the cute little girl for the pick :fight: -oh I would of felt bad later but the heat of the moment would of gotten the better of me then! :blush: Sure can't blame Karen for checking out the "tailoring" on Timothy's pants :drool: -Who wouldn't?

LOL, TBF! Now in my case, I found Glenn's :heart: neat seams in his pants very captivating... :twisted:

Glennsallnighter
05-24-2008, 12:26 PM
I'm delighted that you had such a great time girls and also that Glenn :heart: did not fall and hurt himself. I'm sure, had he you girls would have been there somehow to catch him :wink: .

05-26-2008, 09:54 PM
Here is a review of the Charlottesville show that was in my local newspaper. You can also view it online at the following link:

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/entertainment_living/music.apx.-content-articles-RTD-2008-05-22-0218.html

By BILL LOHMANN
TIMES-DISPATCH STAFF WRITER

CHARLOTTESVILLE --The desert highway is still dark, and the wind is still cool in their hair.

In other words, the Eagles have still got it.

The venerable band that captured the essence of the 1970s by inviting us into the Hotel California dropped into Charlottesville last night and put on a masterful show at the University of Virginia's John Paul Jones Arena.

A near-capacity crowd of more than 13,000 cheered every song -- old and new -- and set the tone early, offering a standing ovation before the first note was played.

Eagles guitarist and co-founder Glenn Frey spoke for his bandmates -- and undoubtedly a significant portion of the boomer-heavy audience, paying a top ticket price of $150 -- when he said from the stage early in the show that he not only was glad to be in Charlottesville, but "we're glad to be anywhere."

Frey turns 60 next fall; Don Henley, Joe Walsh and Timothy B. Schmit are already there. But one of the best-selling bands of all time hasn't missed a beat, proving that by putting out "Long Road Out of Eden," their first album of new studio material in almost three decades last fall.

The band performed almost half of the songs from the new album, including the title track, a Henley commentary on war and imperialism that mentions Julius Caesar. It's a rare 10-minute song worth the time.

"How Long," a bouncy J.D. Souther composition, points to the band's early days, and "Busy Being Fabulous" is funny and biting at once. The best, though, might have been Henley's "Waiting in the Weeds," a beautifully haunting piece that in a live performance requires what Henley has termed "aerobic gymnastics."

The band was nattily attired in black suits, white shirts and dark-striped ties, looking more like accountants than a rock band. But they didn't play like accountants. The show really kicked into gear 20 minutes after it started when Henley put down his guitar, loosened his tie and stepped behind the drum kit. A trumpet intro led into the opening chords of "Hotel California," and the place, predictably, went wild.

Playing in some configuration or another since 1971, the band had a lot of ground to cover to please its ardent fans and gave it a shot, playing deep into the night.

Frey sang lead on several songs, including "Peaceful Easy Feeling" and "Lyin' Eyes." Henley offered his solo hit, "Boys of Summer." Schmit fronted on "I Can't Tell You Why" and "Love Will Keep Us Alive." It was the irrepressible Walsh, who really revved things up with a soaring version of "In the City" and the always-rousing "Life's Been Good."

A week into its U.S. tour, the band was backed by nine additional musicians, including the talented Steuart Smith, who has assumed the role of the discharged Don Felder and might as well be the fifth Eagle.

05-26-2008, 10:58 PM
Okay folks - I know I promised to write more about the Charlottesville show, but Molly and Zermie already did a terrific job of covering the highlights of the show. Sorry if I diappoint any of you, but I only took a few notes before I got totally focused on the show. I will share a few observations about how the show and ILAA experience compare to the other shows I've been to.

First of all, just like after the other shows I attended, I have severe PEW. I guess that it doesn't get any better, no matter how many shows you attend. :wink:

As far as the ILAA experience, I am glad that I had the opportunity to do this at least once. The VIP treatment was nice, of course, and the dinner was decent. However, I'm not sure if I would ever do it again. I may consider it if I could get 5-star tickets again at $495, but I honestly don't think I would ever pay $800 - $1000. Our tickets weren't bad, except that we had the bad luck of being directly behind the tallest and biggest guy in our section. I have to admit though after having several shows under my belt, I am a little spoiled. I don't think I'd want to go to many shows unless I have really great seats. I think in the future I'll take my chances on Ticketmaster, eBay, or ticket brokers online. I've managed to get excellent seats in the past this way a lot cheaper than the ILAA tickets.

Now - about those suits! I'm sorry to say that seeing a live show did not change my opinion of them. Yes - the guys look very handsome in the suits and yes - it was fun inspecting the pants seams. However, I still am not a fan of them. I would much rather examine the thread count on a nice, tight pair of jeans. :blush: In all honesty, my opinion is not based totally on shallowness here. Part of what I always loved about the band is how they each used to express their individuality in the way they dressed on stage. Maybe it's just me, but I don't like my rock stars in uniformed, formal attire, and I never will!!!

One thing that Zermie mentioned that I agree with. I think this show had a higher energy level than the F1 shows I saw. It was fast-paced and the guys seemed to really enjoy themselves. I just loved the new backdrop and new songs. All of them were awesome live. However, I'm still trying tot figure out why they don't add I Dreamed There Was No War to the set list. :headscratch: :hmm:

Share1967
05-27-2008, 12:17 AM
They wear their suits for the entire show? :shock: Nope definately wouldnt like that. I am another jean fan.

Mrs Frey
05-27-2008, 02:46 AM
Ooh, thanks for your review, Dreamer! As always, very entertaining reading! :nod: :D

Thanks also for the review from your local newspaper. A nice, unbiased read for a change, compared to the other newspaper reports we've seen.

I do understand your preference for the boys in jeans (you, too, Share), but I really did love them in the suits. To me, they look sexy in both.

Brooke
05-27-2008, 11:07 AM
Thanks for the reviews, dreamer. I'm glad you had a good time. I've never done the VIP for the Eagles, but it seems when you don't even get to meet the band that it's pretty much a bunch of hype for nothing.

I'm with you on the jeans thing. I think the suits are ok for a song or two, but then let's get comfy. This is rock & roll not a funeral or wedding! I can't even imagine Hotel California or Life in the Fast Lane being sung by a man in a suit! :P

DonFan
05-27-2008, 12:04 PM
I can't even imagine Hotel California or Life in the Fast Lane being sung by a man in a suit! :P

I don't care whether Don is wearing a suit 8) or plaid :? or even his "Visualize Whirled Peas" t-shirt :shock: , he always looks great singing HC or LITFL. :smokin:

sodascouts
05-27-2008, 05:09 PM
Thanks so much for the reviews, guys! Can't wait to see this show for myself!

Mrs Frey
05-28-2008, 03:00 AM
I can't even imagine Hotel California or Life in the Fast Lane being sung by a man in a suit! :P

I don't care whether Don is wearing a suit 8) or plaid :? or even his "Visualize Whirled Peas" t-shirt :shock: , he always looks great singing HC or LITFL. :smokin:

LOL, DF! I love your emoticons for each outfit! :lol:

I'm with you on this, though - and it applies to ALL the boys with WHATEVER they sing! :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: (a nod for each Eagle :wink: )

glenneaglesfan
05-29-2008, 06:37 AM
Dreamer, thanks for your review! Pity about the huge bloke in front of you, but at least you were close enough to examine those seams! :wink:

Glennsallnighter
05-29-2008, 06:29 PM
Yes, Dreamer, thanks from me too! It must have been a bit disappointing having that rather large person in front of you tho! I would also agree that the London show was a lot more energised than the F1 shows. As for the suits, I think the lads look great in anything, but it would have been nice if they had changed into jeans and portrayed a more casual look for the second part of the show. Still when Glenn :heart: took off that jacket........ :jawdrop: :inlove: :smokin: etc :wink:

Mrs Henley
05-30-2008, 02:40 AM
Thanks for the reviews! :D
I'm also not a fan of suits...but they look cute in those!