PDA

View Full Version : Don Felder videos on YouTube and other video sites

Pages : 1 [2]

Delilah
06-08-2017, 12:58 PM
He's really well-spoken isn't he? And he clearly still enjoys playing. Thanks for posting.

Delilah
06-26-2017, 12:18 PM
Don performs acoustic versions of Tequila Sunrise and Hotel California at last month's Acoustic-4-A-Cure Benefit Concert. He dedicates TS to his ex-bandmate Glenn Frey and says it's the reason he stopped drinking. He also cites it as one of his favorite Glenn songs.

His part starts at 46:00. It's kind of odd to see him without the double-neck guitar on HC but it's also nice to hear a different take on it.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C1WFQ9fqQBI

Dawn
06-27-2017, 01:39 AM
June 24, 2017
United We Rock Tour

Don Felder sings Heartache Tonight, Life in the Fastlane and Hotel California at the Greek

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Tm-oCBsfrFM

Witchy Woman, The Long Run, Take it Easy with Tommy Shaw Greek Theater

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HegtSeolbcM

Delilah
05-22-2018, 09:52 AM
Don’s new bass player Jeff Coffey (ex-Chicago) sings “Take It to the Limit” at 10:40. Also, Don continues to pay his respects to Glenn by dedicating PEF to him (15:25). There was a standalone video of TITTL but I can’t find it now.

This is part of the Garden Rocks Concert Series at the 2018 Epcot International Flower and Garden Festival, May 14, 2018
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ha7XeGtY1Hg&t=1542s

WalshFan88
05-22-2018, 02:33 PM
Don has such a good band, such a great player. If he'd just be willing to hire even ONE singer he'd be the best Eagles tribute band out there. And if he hires two singers, even better. I absolutely love his guitar playing, and his band is excellent. But if I'm honest the vocals are grating on me ever since I heard them live. I always used to argue for his singing against Don and Glenn's claims of him not being a singer, I was going off of YT videos but when you hear it live, it's so processed and it doesn't do his playing and his band justice IMO. Get a singer or two and they'd be the best tribute band, for me anyway. The music is excellent.

Still, it was great to hear him playing guitar live. Always will be one of my heroes.

Delilah
05-22-2018, 05:46 PM
I don’t mind Don’s voice; when I saw him perform live I thought he was fine. However I never had high expectations of his singing anyway and his voice has changed a lot since the 70s/80s. I knew that going in. He must know his own limitations since he has others sing TITTL. There are heritage acts performing now where the lead singer doesn’t sing great lead anymore. It’s unfortunate.

Still it wouldn’t be a bad idea to let Jeff Coffey (or someone else) sing a few more songs...Jeff did hit some high notes towards the end.

East Texas Girl
05-24-2018, 05:29 PM
When did Don change bass players? I saw him two years ago, geez-doesn't seem that long though, and the guy he had then did a phenomenal job with TITTL.

WalshFan88
05-24-2018, 09:44 PM
When did Don change bass players? I saw him two years ago, geez-doesn't seem that long though, and the guy he had then did a phenomenal job with TITTL.

He's changed since I just saw him back in March.

East Texas Girl
05-25-2018, 04:53 PM
He's changed since I just saw him back in March.

Wow, that was quick!! :shock:

YoungEaglesFan
05-27-2018, 05:43 PM
I know this is pretty late, but I’m not a big fan of Don singing tequila sunrise. I just don’t see a reason for him to play that song. He should dust off Visions. I know a lot of people don’t know/ don’t like the song but I like it and at least he wrote and sang it.

WalshFan88
05-27-2018, 05:56 PM
I personally don't mind that he plays songs live he had nothing to do with when recorded. I just don't like his singing. But he can play any Eagles song for me.

But as far as playing Tequila Sunrise and PEF and such, I say bring it on. He played them live enough times for him to have that privilege. I just wish he found a singer or two that can do them justice. But still, Felder should play ALL Eagles material IMO and has every right to do so. And I personally "hate" Visions. YMMV.

Ive always been a dreamer
05-27-2018, 06:37 PM
I appreciate that Don performs and dedicates Tequila Sunrise to Glenn in his shows now. However, as a general rule, I have always preferred he not perform Eagles songs that were recorded before he joined the band. JMHO, but I feel he should stick to Eagles songs that he was involved in writing or recording. To me, Visions would be a good choice.

YoungEaglesFan
05-27-2018, 09:33 PM
I personally don't mind that he plays songs live he had nothing to do with when recorded. I just don't like his singing. But he can play any Eagles song for me.

But as far as playing Tequila Sunrise and PEF and such, I say bring it on. He played them live enough times for him to have that privilege. I just wish he found a singer or two that can do them justice. But still, Felder should play ALL Eagles material IMO and has every right to do so. And I personally "hate" Visions. YMMV.

I just don’t think he should sing Tequila sunrise. An acoustic based song with a focus on harmony and such I don’t think fits his strength as a musician. He should keep uptempo stuff. PEF has some cool lead guitar albeit country but has some guitar playing for him to do. It’s more about fit than connection. That’s my issue

Delilah
05-27-2018, 10:00 PM
I think it would be great if he added Visions to his setlist. What’s concerning though is that he wouldn’t sound like does on the original recording. I’m sure if the audience didn’t respond well to his renditions of PEF or Tequila Sunrise, he would have dropped them long ago. If i’m not mistaken, he’s on hiatus until October, when he starts touring again. Maybe he’ll revamp his setlist by then.

sodascouts
05-28-2018, 11:57 AM
"Visions" might be better in terms of it being "his" song but to jump off of Delilah's comment about audience response - "Visions" is something that a lot of people wouldn't know. Remember that a lot of Eagles fans listen to the Greatest Hits a heck of a lot more than they listen to the studio albums, barring Hotel California. Still, I think he should do it anyway. Claim your song, man! If you don't, no one will!

chaim
05-28-2018, 02:58 PM
I haven't checked recent clips, but he has lip-synced an awful lot. This suggests that he doesn't think he can sing well enough live. And therefore there's a reason to hire a singer who CAN do it. But I guess in some songs his guitar part isn't so prominent, so it would be weird to be playing a not-so-essential guitar part (Tequila Sunrise, for example) when someone else is singing. Perhaps he wants to have some kind of a lead role in every song since he's a solo performer. I would understand such reasoning.

Freypower
05-28-2018, 06:01 PM
I haven't checked recent clips, but he has lip-synced an awful lot. This suggests that he doesn't think he can sing well enough live. And therefore there's a reason to hire a singer who CAN do it. But I guess in some songs his guitar part isn't so prominent, so it would be weird to be playing a not-so-essential guitar part (Tequila Sunrise, for example) when someone else is singing. Perhaps he wants to have some kind of a lead role in every song since he's a solo performer. I would understand such reasoning.

Steve Hackett manages OK on that front. But then Steve Hackett has a great deal more material to work with, including his own solo career which unlike Felder, he doesn't push aside. One thing to remember about Felder is he doesn't have much to choose from.

New Kid In Town
05-28-2018, 06:43 PM
I know this is pretty late, but I’m not a big fan of Don singing tequila sunrise. I just don’t see a reason for him to play that song. He should dust off Visions. I know a lot of people don’t know/ don’t like the song but I like it and at least he wrote and sang it.

Well, I am one of those people who are not a fan of "Visions". I don't care for his version of TS. I think it is nice that he dedicates the song to Glenn but, like Dreamer, I don't think he should be performing songs that were recorded before he joined the band. Don is one of the best guitarists in rock. However, he is only an average singer. Like others have said, he should hire a lead singer. I have a friend who saw him and his band in concert not too long ago. He loved his guitar playing but was not overwhelmed by his singing. He said it was an enjoyable show.

chaim
05-29-2018, 04:21 AM
There's a clip on YouTube where the vocal "tape" is out of sync with the band when the last verse of TIE starts. Felder reacts immediately and sings the rest of the song live. A note or two is slightly out of tune (so what?), but he sings just fine. Perhaps he doesn't have enough confidence to sing live these days, or he can't sing a full show. But I'd rather hear a raw, occasionally out of tune performance than an obviously autotuned tape that is exactly the same every time. He doesn't have to pretend to be a perfect vocalist (like he really could hit those high notes perfectly every time in WW - although he gets praise for it), he's a GUITARIST.

EDIT:

As for Don playing Eagles songs he didn't record, I guess it's more ok than Ray Wilson performing old Genesis songs he didn't even perform live with the band!

chaim
05-29-2018, 05:27 AM
Steve Hackett manages OK on that front. But then Steve Hackett has a great deal more material to work with, including his own solo career which unlike Felder, he doesn't push aside. One thing to remember about Felder is he doesn't have much to choose from.

Yeah, Steve's been singing since his first solo album, so he has tons of material to play and sing.

Freypower
05-29-2018, 08:01 PM
There's a clip on YouTube where the vocal "tape" is out of sync with the band when the last verse of TIE starts. Felder reacts immediately and sings the rest of the song live. A note or two is slightly out of tune (so what?), but he sings just fine. Perhaps he doesn't have enough confidence to sing live these days, or he can't sing a full show. But I'd rather hear a raw, occasionally out of tune performance than an obviously autotuned tape that is exactly the same every time. He doesn't have to pretend to be a perfect vocalist (like he really could hit those high notes perfectly every time in WW - although he gets praise for it), he's a GUITARIST.

EDIT:

As for Don playing Eagles songs he didn't record, I guess it's more ok than Ray Wilson performing old Genesis songs he didn't even perform live with the band!

I don't actually know which particular Genesis songs Ray played live with them. What's strange is that he also does Gabriel, Collins & Rutherford songs. :headscratch:

Actually this is pretty good. I would love to hear him do Wish You Were Here & Heroes.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/ray-wilson/2018/brunsviga-kulturzentrum-braunschweig-germany-4beddf0a.html

takeiteasy
11-02-2018, 06:38 PM
Don Felder handsome, at home (I think) and playing the beautiful intro of "Road to Forever"

https://youtu.be/0wr71AoyngA

sodascouts
11-02-2018, 07:15 PM
Don Felder handsome, at home (I think) and playing the beautiful intro of "Road to Forever"

Interesting.... that's "Road to Forever" and yet that video looks to be Hell Freezes Over era. I guess that song has been percolating a while!

takeiteasy
11-03-2018, 05:17 PM
The description of the video is in French so I'm translating it for you:
Solo taken out from the "Guitar Spirit" documentary "Conversations with Legendary Guitar Players"
A chance for listening to the artist unaccompanied, simply armed with his guitar and an ampli, as if you ask a singer to show his gift a capella during an interview.

Don Felder wrote "Road to Forever" in the seventies after his father's death, in fact he dedicated it to him.
It's surprising to see that he doesn't play an Eagles song in the documentary but one composed by himself and not released in the nineties yet. Perhaps he chose this song because it meant much to him.

CAinOH
11-03-2018, 06:09 PM
Solo taken out from the "Guitar Spirit" documentary "Conversations with Legendary Guitar Players"
A chance for listening to the artist unaccompanied, simply armed with his guitar and an ampli, as if you ask a singer to show his gift a capella during an interview.

Don Felder wrote "Road to Forever" in the seventies after his father's death, in fact he dedicated it to him.
It's surprising to see that he doesn't play an Eagles song in the documentary but one composed by himself and not released in the nineties yet. Perhaps he chose this song because it meant much to him.

Thanks for that!

takeiteasy
11-03-2018, 07:22 PM
You are welcome

sodascouts
11-05-2018, 10:10 PM
Yes, thank you! Very interesting information. I never knew that.

Delilah
11-08-2018, 02:45 PM

Thank you for this. I didn’t know he wrote this in the 70s. I agree he is quite handsome here. 8-)

chaim
12-01-2018, 07:39 AM

Nice!

sodascouts
12-30-2018, 10:34 PM
We were talking about this in another thread, and I thought some people may be unfamiliar with the adult animated film Heavy Metal (1981). I found the clip of the movie where Felder's song was used in case anyone would like to watch it (warning: it's violent)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mewu2IxAlLw

takeiteasy
12-31-2018, 01:54 PM
Thanks for posting this, Soda! It seems interesting. I'm going to check out the film. I'm a fan of all type of comics or animated films

sodascouts
12-31-2018, 02:41 PM
Thanks for posting this, Soda! It seems interesting. I'm going to check out the film. I'm a fan of all type of comics or animated films

It definitely is unique. Be aware that it's R-rated not only for violence but for partial nudity, though.

WalshFan88
09-26-2019, 11:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpkLuo7Wi30
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpkLuo7Wi30

Don is using an iPhone to read lyrics off of for "The Long Run". It's plain as day. I'm sorry, but that's hilarious. :lol: How long have you been "singing" this one Don? Really?! I know you didn't write the lyrics or sing it with the guys, but holy moly at least use a teleprompter on the floor like most other acts. Most frontmen have teleprompters but very rarely look at them because those words are ingrained into the lead singer's mind. I know Don isn't a singer firsthand (despite trying to do it all himself in his self-titled band), but I can't believe he needed to hurry up and scroll on that phone so he could finish the first verse. Luckily though it didn't affect the performance and there wasn't any missed lines or lyric. Man is Don trying to micromanage and multitask or what? Please Don - get a singer! If for any reason than to just free you up to focus on those fingers on the neck of that Les Paul for an ENTIRE show. Don't be tied to a mic or a teleprompter. Let someone (who hopefully can sound like DH) sing, and you focus on killing everyone dead with those licks that we all love you for. It's such a shame, not only to see his show brought down by vocals, but moreso that we can't watch him focus on his guitar and just focus on being Don Felder. A guitarist! If Don would get a singer and at least cut back on the singing duty and just focus on playing more guitar, I would go see him again and again because he's truly a great guitarist. That's all I want to hear from DF.

On a different note, I see Don is playing a Goldtop Les Paul now. He's always been associated with Sunbursts so to see him with a Goldtop or Black Beauty is weird to me but very cool. Would love to know about it.

chaim
09-27-2019, 01:00 AM
I've often said that IMO Don has been lip syncing for a few years, but this seems live to me. There's even one note badly out of tune in the first verse. The scrolling is hilarious, yeah. 😂

webvan
09-27-2019, 03:39 AM
What's weird is that he had a large prompter at his feet too but it can be distracting to see a singer squinting down to read lyrics and not being sure what he's doing. At least here it's pretty obvious. David Myhre the guitar player had the same phone setup .

BTW here's that same TLR video dubbed with better audio :

https://youtu.be/L1zAaOkS16M

WalshFan88
09-27-2019, 04:04 AM
I've often said that IMO Don has been lip syncing for a few years, but this seems live to me. There's even one note badly out of tune in the first verse. The scrolling is hilarious, yeah. 😂

It's funny because when I saw him live you could literally hear the plastic in his voice with the amount of Auto-Tune he was using on almost every song, even moreso the DH songs than the GF ones. It sounded like Cher's "Believe". Which was her smash pop/dance breakthrough hit that really put Antares Auto-Tune on the map. It was brand new technology at the time and she wanted a drastic effect on her vocals. It wasn't used as Antares intended. Antares created it to "fix" a singer's pitchiness and off-key performances both live and on record. She set it to an extreme setting that no longer sounded realistic and went with it. I have a major problem with Antares for creating that. Basically the labels and big companies pick their new artists based on looks, likability, celebrity image, and stage presence. They can "fix" the pitchy vocals (aka lack of real talent). Another rant for another day, but I DO hate what Auto-Tune has done to the music industry. There was nothing like it before Antares created it. They were key in a bad domino effect.

This song, on this clip, doesn't sound Auto-Tuned and you make a great comment about the off tune note. I'm not sure if they were having technical difficulties that day with their electronics in Paris. Maybe both Auto-Tune and Teleprompters were down that day. ;) I think I would be too proud if I were Don to go out there, and scroll on my phone while swaying side to side, singing while looking down and not play guitar.

I think if someone had a great quality pic of Don scrolling on his iPhone as he's singing it would make for a gut-busting "Caption This" thread, lol. "I'm so bored singing this damn song I'm just gonna embarrass myself making people think I'm scrolling for lyrics to sing but I'm actually scrolling through Pinterest trying to find a great Zucchini recipe to cook for when I get home. They will never know I'm just bored..." :lol:

I'm sorry Don if you are reading this (he actually might while singing "Take It Easy". :grin:), but you make it too easy sometimes. I love ya and you are a hero but I can't help but to shake my head at you sometimes.

WalshFan88
09-27-2019, 04:11 AM
What's weird is that he had a large prompter at his feet too but it can be distracting to see a singer squinting down to read lyrics and not being sure what he's doing. At least here it's pretty obvious. David Myhre the guitar player had the same phone setup .

BTW here's that same TLR video dubbed with better audio :

https://youtu.be/L1zAaOkS16M

I almost wonder if right before the show started that the big prompters quit working right so they had to hurry up and default to a backup that was likely in place which was to use their phones on the mic stands.

Thanks for that link!

chaim
09-27-2019, 10:24 AM
Haha, that Pinterest thing was hilarious, Austin!

webvan
09-27-2019, 06:06 PM
Here's a dubbed version of Heavy Metal :

https://youtu.be/grR-XG9KIHc

sodascouts
09-28-2019, 10:13 PM
Oh my gosh, an iPHone? NO NO NO NO NO NO. I mean, use a teleprompter if you have to because those grey cells can get a bit unreliable as one ages, that's fair enough, but an IPHONE?! That's just freaking unprofessional.

WalshFan88
09-29-2019, 01:58 AM
Oh my gosh, an iPHone? NO NO NO NO NO NO. I mean, use a teleprompter if you have to because those grey cells can get a bit unreliable as one ages, that's fair enough, but an IPHONE?! That's just freaking unprofessional.

I'm just hoping the teleprompter system was down and this was a last minute backup solution and not the norm for Don's shows going forward. One can hope!

thebagels
11-05-2019, 12:19 PM
Don actually sings live here because the vocal track didn't kick in at the beginning of the song, so they had to turn his mic on. For some reason, the backing vox are also live, which doesn't seem usual for this song. He also messed up the ending to the third chorus (he started to sing "woo hoo hoo" instead of "already gone"). In his current band, I don't begrudge him for lip-syncing because he has to play very complicated guitar parts (which he does do live), but imo he ought to hire a lead singer for his band. I also don't know why he uses additional guitar tracks in HC, TIE, and Those Shoes; all of those additional tracks could be removed from his show by hiring the right singer/guitarist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMix1XZqUWM

chaim
11-18-2019, 08:29 AM
When was this? Don's singing is so terribly out of tune in places that it must be live. The first lines can't be heard for some reason.

https://youtu.be/hMix1XZqUWM

KingWalsh
11-18-2019, 09:59 AM
When was this? Don's singing is so terribly out of tune in places that it must be live. The first lines can't be heard for some reason.

Hi, Chaim! I found another video that seems to be identical stage but different person posted. It's "One of these Nights" and in the description of states "Don Felder One Of These Nights at Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Sacramento At Fire Mountain opening Wheatland Ca on November 2nd 2019"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ88P0SciY8

If you adjust your YouTube settings to "past/this month" a few others pop up including "seven bridges road".
Here is another better quality same concert "Heavy Metal (Takin a ride)"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEsrJBqOPSo

chaim
11-18-2019, 10:36 AM
So it's from a recent concert. Thanks!

WalshFan88
11-20-2019, 06:04 PM

Autotune must have been down that day. Last month it was the teleprompter system. Now it's the Autotune.

Without both Don's concerts aren't passable IMO. At least it's bearable when he remembers the lyrics and tunes his voice, lol.

WalshFan88
11-21-2019, 06:25 AM
IMO, Don has a choice to make if he wants people to enjoy his concerts IMO. Especially if the concertgoer values the vocal qualities of Henley and Frey. In this current state, I would never go see him again unless he was an opener for an act I really loved. Depending on how he was singing that tour I might show up late and skip it. ;) It saddens me. I so wanted to believe the lies I had told myself about his voice. Then I saw him live, heard it front row through a PA. No YouTube compression, no editing, no distant audio. Up. Close. And. Personal. And his voice was more processed than Cheese Whiz. I was sick. I realize most that would go see him by himself are going for his guitar playing. But as an Eagles tribute or as an opener or whatever - you can't be this unprofessional and you can't butcher songs vocally by two of the greats, IMO.

Option A (the likely choice) - fire your soundman/men and stage people. Whoever runs the Autotune and runs the teleprompting system and stage equipment need to be GONE. They need to be up and running if you insist on singing every song, Don. No exceptions. If you want to not do the next option, please make sure your Autotune is working (which is still noticeable and annoying, but at least it's not pitchy) and that your teleprompter is on the ground where it should be and that it works. No music stands. No iPhone/iPad mic stand mounts. Or, better yet - start to learn to remember lyrics to songs you've been performing since the 1970s. I know you haven't sang them since then, but you've heard them since then and you've "sang" most of them for long enough now in your self-titled band that you can surely remember them by now.

Option B (one can only hope) - hire a singer. Point blank. Stop singing Eagles material. Sing your solo songs. But leave the Eagles songs to a singer who can do them justice and gracefully. Maybe get two singers or find a band member who can do the other part. Find one that can handle Don's style first since that's the one you struggle with the most. And ideally find one that can do Glenn's voice justice. You would have not only a better band, but part for part the best Eagles tribute band out there. I mean you would actually have a band not only worth seeing as an opener, but one that could headline more (and I don't mean at your local jazz club), and be well loved by everyone especially hardcore Eagles fans. I would certainly go see you again if this were the case. You would take your band to new heights and likely reap the benefits.

chaim
11-21-2019, 07:54 AM
Autotune must have been down that day. Last month it was the teleprompter system. Now it's the Autotune.

Without both Don's concerts aren't passable IMO. At least it's bearable when he remembers the lyrics and tunes his voice, lol.

One possibility that came to mind is that for whatever reason the "tape" didn't work and he had to sing it live. If he started to lip sync, but noticed that the "tape" wasn't playing and started singing. I can't see his face when the first verse starts so I can't tell if he simply forgot to start singing. He does wslk to the mic in time IMO.

chaim
11-21-2019, 07:55 AM
Whatever's happening I would support your option B.

shunlvswx
11-21-2019, 10:29 AM
Like I said months ago. Don came to my state in September for a concert at one of the casinos on the coast. I wanted to go, but I was very hesitate to drive the 3 hours to see him after hearing stuff about how he sounded in concert. It was a good decision to not see him. Plus I didn't have any money to buy a ticket at that moment. Their were a lot of concerts I turned down because I didn't have the money at that moment.

WalshFan88
11-21-2019, 09:34 PM
One possibility that came to mind is that for whatever reason the "tape" didn't work and he had to sing it live. If he started to lip sync, but noticed that the "tape" wasn't playing and started singing. I can't see his face when the first verse starts so I can't tell if he simply forgot to start singing. He does wslk to the mic in time IMO.

And that's yet another necessity to Don's shows of late. Vocal tracks. I think he was definitely having trouble with that system too..

WalshFan88
11-21-2019, 09:35 PM
Like I said months ago. Don came to my state in September for a concert at one of the casinos on the coast. I wanted to go, but I was very hesitate to drive the 3 hours to see him after hearing stuff about how he sounded in concert. It was a good decision to not see him. Plus I didn't have any money to buy a ticket at that moment. Their were a lot of concerts I turned down because I didn't have the money at that moment.

I would not recommend going unless he was an opener for another act you also liked. Otherwise, save your money. It's sad to have to say that, but it's true.

thebagels
11-22-2019, 11:33 PM
Don plays "Hotel California" at the opening of a Rock HOF exhibit. I think he is actually singing live here (he forgets a word and sings his harmony part instead of the melody during the chorus). It's not too bad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hOc-rtuYaE

chaim
11-23-2019, 02:02 AM
Don plays "Hotel California" at the opening of a Rock HOF exhibit. I think he is actually singing live here (he forgets a word and sings his harmony part instead of the melody during the chorus). It's not too bad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hOc-rtuYaE

Definitely sings live there and without tons of autotune and other effects. That singing was nice to listen to, because it sounded so spontaneous. But he probably couldn't sing like that for a whole show (let alone tour) at his age. All those aggressive endings in the verses. Very cool.

Delilah
11-23-2019, 01:46 PM

I hear ya, Shun. My concert budget is pretty much busted right now. Don is coming to play near me for 2 nights next month and I'd like to go. It's small enough that it should be easy to tell if he's really singing live or not.

Not sure if I'll be able to swing it. I already missed JD Souther. 🙁

WalshFan88
11-24-2019, 05:14 PM
Honestly at this point, as much as the Autotune bothered me when I saw him (and you could tell - it has a metallic almost robotic hint to the sound of the voice when Autotune is used), I think I'd rather hear him WITH it than without it. The clip Chaim posted of him clearly singing live was dreadful. I really would like to think that he would use the Autotune. He needs it. Trust me, lol. He's no singer, but a top shelf guitarist.

If you go, definitely report back. Personally for the sake of anyone going I hope that the teleprompter and Autotune are in working order. It makes it bearable. It's still not a great vocal performance by any stretch, but it is better than his real unaffected voice. I used to hate the fact he Autotuned - but I think now until he wisens up and hires a singer or two, Autotune is at the very least making it passable and decent lol.

I've changed my stance on Don and Autotune. I think he NEEDS to Autotune if he isn't willing to put the ego aside and get someone who can sing to be in his band. Otherwise it's just going to spoil it, no matter how great he plays, how tight the band is, or how the other musicians play. And if you are a Don Henley fan, you won't like it. He simply cannot sound good (even with Autotune IMO) doing DH songs. It's not great when he sings Glenn songs like Take It Easy or Peaceful Easy Feeling, don't get me wrong, but it's not as bad as his renditions of Witchy Woman, One Of These Nights, etc. Even a Glenn Frey fan wouldn't like his voice on GF songs, but it is still IMO better than when he tries to sing DH songs. Autotune does help, but if you love the vocals you'll be disappointed. I'm a guitar first guy, and even I was disappointed in the vocal performance. But I have a feeling someone who really sees the Eagles as a strong vocal band and loves the voice of Don and Glenn and maybe isn't a guitar fanatic or one to care more about guitar will be upset.

Delilah
11-25-2019, 08:18 PM
I’ve seen Felder perform solo already so unless his vocals have really gone downhill in the last couple of years, I doubt I’ll be surprised by anything I hear. Not like with Kevin Cronin when I saw REO Speedwagon, now that I wasn’t expecting.

It seems lots of people use Autotune these days, even the younger artists, unfortunately. If I do end up going to his show, it would be preferable that Felder not use it but if he does it’s really not going affect my opinion of his vocals. He’s a passable singer who is getting on in years. He never was a strong vocalist.

WalshFan88
11-25-2019, 11:40 PM
When it comes to Felder's (lack of) vocal prowess - it's damned if you do, damned if you don't with regards to Autotune. Either way it's not good. At least with Autotune his voice would be in tune.

I think the prevalence of younger artists using Autotune is a direct reflection of the state of the music industry. Right now they'd rather you be a pitchy singer that looks good and can eat up a crowd and have a good social media presence. They'd rather Autotune the voice of the above person both live and on record than choose a singer that sings well but maybe isn't as visually stimulating or has as good of a presence.

It's funny you mention Kevin Cronin. I agree his voice has changed a LOT but I still love seeing that band! Me and my folks have seen them 3 times now, every time they come through Peoria, IL where we live (which is also close to their hometown of Champaign) we go see them. I love the Kevin era material on record and while his voice has definitely changed, I guess it hasn't to the point of affecting the show. I've never walked away disappointed, let's put it that way. I didn't notice much difference between the first two times I saw REO, but this last time I could see a little more decline in vocal strength, admittedly.

There are very few bands I've seen more than once (Eagles, AC/DC, Styx), and only two I've seen more than twice - Journey and REO. I've seen Journey twice but I will be seeing them next June front row. They put on such a great show but so many have hangups about Steve Perry's absence. So in June it will make #3. I love seeing Journey. Neal Schon is one of my favorite guitarists and he does well running the band.

thebagels
12-09-2019, 12:13 AM
Apparently communication between Don and Joe isn't necessarily stagnant.
https://youtu.be/Cd18W5CG3KM?t=738

Delilah
12-13-2019, 02:24 PM
Apparently communication between Don and Joe isn't necessarily stagnant.
https://youtu.be/Cd18W5CG3KM?t=738

Thanks for sharing that. I’m not surprised they have spoken to each other. Don has said in other interviews that they have been in contact. With both collaborating with so many other artists these days, it’s a shame they can’t do something together.

It sounds like Don doesn’t like snow ones, lol. And that was a funny James House story.

sodascouts
12-17-2019, 05:36 PM
Thanks for sharing that. I’m not surprised they have spoken to each other. Don has said in other interviews that they have been in contact. With both collaborating with so many other artists these days, it’s a shame they can’t do something together.

Well, I daresay there's a reason for that, but it's good to know that they are still friends.

His discussion of "musical migration" is interesting. I had no idea the order of the guest appearances was that considered!

thebagels
01-04-2020, 08:04 PM
I had read about Don lip-syncing on this forum before, and he is lip syncing in the video below. But the extent of using prerecorded tracks seems to go deeper than just Don's vocal (at least in this video). The background vocals seem to be largely prerecorded (lots of compression--Don's bass players seem to sing live though), there is a prerecorded acoustic rhythm guitar track playing throughout, and (most conspicuously) a banjo track starts playing at 2:55. If Don's game plan is to lead audiences to believe that what they are hearing is live, why would he sabotage that already-flimsy illusion with an unseen banjo? Do large portions of his audiences really not notice?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgHUJA_1rEM

I have a great deal of admiration for Don's guitar playing, and he seems to have a much more peaceful personality than DH and GF. Don's playing is very smooth and toneful when he plays electric, and I suspect that he is a fair bit better than we know from his recordings with the Eagles and others (based on some shows he did with CSN and Styx). But I don't know why he feels the need to include so many prerecorded elements in his live shows. Hiring the right guitarist/lead singer would render all of his prerecorded tracks unnecessary. Either way, I'm sure the musicians in his band are fairly happy playing the exact same backup to the exact same vocal tracks and exact same solos from Don every night (which I don't understand either since Don always speaks of how much fun it is to improvise and make licks up off the cuff--apparently, a grievance that Don had in the Eagles is that GF and DH made Don play the exact same solos every night, but this situation hasn't changed much even after Don has set out on his own).

chaim
01-06-2020, 09:22 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if there are backings vocals coming from "tapes". That's more common than the lead singer lip syncing. It's me who has been suggesting here that he's lip syncing, but I don't think he does it always. But Paul Stanley from one of my favorite bands (because they were the first I listened to) is lip syncing too now, so...

sodascouts
01-06-2020, 12:24 PM
I'm thinking playing pre-recorded backing vocals is a lot cheaper than hiring vocalists to go on tour with you!

WalshFan88
01-06-2020, 03:39 PM
Exactly, soda.

And I think even more than money, Don Felder would have to admit defeat in the vocals department, lose the ego about his singing, and be ok with being just a guitar player. That's all he is. And that is perfectly ok and cool, but Glenn Frey or Don Henley he is not. In Glenn's case - he had it all. Great vocals, great writing and arranging, and more-than-competent guitar playing. He is still IMO jealous of that and never got over being snubbed on singing Victim Of Love (which was to our benefit, I might add!). He needs to do it though. He is grasping for straws on being the singer in his own band, and is willing to use tracks/autotune.

KingWalsh
01-06-2020, 07:42 PM
walshfan88, I think you are right regarding "victim of love". I also get this feeling like he has this chip on his shoulder, and constant need to prove his worth. He is a great guitarist, I don't get the hang up, that he has with this. It's a shame.

WalshFan88
01-06-2020, 09:50 PM
walshfan88, I think you are right regarding "victim of love". I also get this feeling like he has this chip on his shoulder, and constant need to prove his worth. He is a great guitarist, I don't get the hang up, that he has with this. It's a shame.

I think he has chronic insecurity and as a result has an ego in defense of that.

I think he needs to get over it and come to realize his strengths and weaknesses and maybe learn to let it go. It is a shame. He compared himself too much.

thebagels
01-06-2020, 11:38 PM
I agree with what has been said, but I doubt it would really cut into Don's budget to hire a vocalist/rhythm guitarist. He probably makes money on his shows based on the ticket prices, and he's apparently worth $60 million anyway. Also in 2008/2009, he had an additional percussionist and his daughter doing backing vocals. This does appear to be largely about his ego, but unfortunately imo he's not serving the music when he uses prerecorded vocal tracks, banjo tracks, etc. I am quite surprised that his audience seems to be fooled based on the standing ovations he gets at every show.

KingWalsh
01-07-2020, 09:30 AM
Walshfan88, couldn’t have said it better. Insecurity. It’s like man, just go out and shred! We know you can! I get so annoyed with how he has to bring up Hotel California all the time too....we know already! I wish he was still in the band, would love to see Walsh/Felder tearing it up again, but then again If this is how he wants to work......

thebagels....to me it seems like a lot of work too to get the backing vocals tracks, loops possible auto tune and everything! Didn’t he complain about the inability to play freer in the Eagles, and now he has everything cookie cutter with tracks and all. It just doesn’t make sense except the ol chip on his shoulder thing. And I agree it isn’t helping anything. It’s a musical disservice and doesn’t boost his cred. It weakens it, in my opinion. He shines without all that stuff.

chaim
01-07-2020, 01:37 PM
As a person who has suggested several times that he's lip syncing (based on words heard but not sung, identical phrasings in several performances and clearly a "tape" being out-of-sync once), I'm not saying he has always done that. I don't think he has. I don't remember the dates of the performances I have referred to, but I think they have been from the last few years. So it's possible that it's an age thing. The autotune, however, seems to have been there for years

thebagels
01-07-2020, 07:45 PM
to me it seems like a lot of work too to get the backing vocals tracks, loops possible auto tune and everything! Didn’t he complain about the inability to play freer in the Eagles, and now he has everything cookie cutter with tracks and all. It just doesn’t make sense except the ol chip on his shoulder thing. And I agree it isn’t helping anything. It’s a musical disservice and doesn’t boost his cred. It weakens it, in my opinion. He shines without all that stuff.

I think the way it works with Don is that each song is governed by a click track (based on the fact that every song seems to have the same tempo from performance to performance). I think the click track itself only plays through the in-ear monitors of Don and the band, but also is the foundation of the backing tracks, which are audible to the audience. The vocal/instrumental tracks seem to be layered under the click track.

sodascouts
01-08-2020, 10:05 AM
I agree with what has been said, but I doubt it would really cut into Don's budget to hire a vocalist/rhythm guitarist. He probably makes money on his shows based on the ticket prices, and he's apparently worth $60 million anyway. Also in 2008/2009, he had an additional percussionist and his daughter doing backing vocals. This does appear to be largely about his ego, but unfortunately imo he's not serving the music when he uses prerecorded vocal tracks, banjo tracks, etc. I am quite surprised that his audience seems to be fooled based on the standing ovations he gets at every show.

Hiring extra personnel is more expensive than you might think. It's more than just a salary. You have to budget for their accommodations on the road. It's why Lindsey Buckingham shrunk his touring band down, and he's hardly hurting for cash. Such decisions often depend less on the amount of money the artist currently has in the bank, and depend more on how they affect the tour's profit margin. The fact that he no longer has that additional percussionist, and his daughter on tour with him, implies such economizing (BTW, I daresay Felder is a wealthy man, but those sites that proclaim they can give you a dollar amount as to how much celebrities are worth are pretty much hooey - he could have less, he could have more.)

Admittedly, I'm just speculating, but comparable artists have stated that it's a consideration.

As a person who has suggested several times that he's lip syncing (based on words heard but not sung, identical phrasings in several performances and clearly a "tape" being out-of-sync once), I'm not saying he has always done that. I don't think he has. I don't remember the dates of the performances I have referred to, but I think they have been from the last few years. So it's possible that it's an age thing. The autotune, however, seems to have been there for years.

Back when I first saw him live in 2009, I heard those little vocal hiccups that proved he wasn't lip syncing. I very much enjoyed the performance, though.

thebagels
01-16-2020, 05:28 AM
Hope we can hear the original demo of HC soon. Don talks about having it on his laptop in this interview.
https://youtu.be/qDeoCZw_LE0

chaim
01-17-2020, 03:28 PM
Hope we can hear the original demo of HC soon. Don talks about having it on his laptop in this interview.
https://youtu.be/qDeoCZw_LE0

He probably played it, but for some bizarre reason it was edited out. Can't be a legal thing, because surely he owns the rights to his own demo?

KingWalsh
01-17-2020, 05:07 PM
I’d love to hear it myself. What a piece of history.

KingWalsh
01-17-2020, 07:55 PM
Don and Slash Namm 2020
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIT6L5b5n4g

01-18-2020, 01:28 PM
Thanks for posting that, KW. Don looks like he is really enjoying himself.

thebagels
01-18-2020, 06:15 PM
Here is the full performance.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=166106061270932&external_log_id=0a9578adaa542477741a6adac9226308&q=namm%202020%20don%20felder

Delilah
01-19-2020, 03:11 PM
Thanks for sharing. Randy attended NAMM two years ago. How cool it would have been if he had gone this year and met up with Felder? I’d love to see a pic of them together.

lovemusic
01-19-2020, 03:27 PM
Thanks for sharing. Randy attended NAMM two years ago. How cool it would have been if he had gone this year and met up with Felder? I’d love to see a pic of them together.
I wish we would see a pic of Randy out and about anywhere, Delilah. As far as I know the last pic of him was at Jimmy Messina's show in March of 2018.

Delilah
01-19-2020, 03:59 PM
I wish we would see a pic of Randy out and about anywhere, Delilah. As far as I know the last pic of him was at Jimmy Messina's show in March of 2018.

I agree lovemusic, recent pics of Randy in general would be great! BTW, there are some links to pics of him at the Troubadour in November 2018 posted on his sub-forum. This was when Richie Furay was celebrating Poco’s 50th anniversary. You should check it out. There’s also a video promo for Richie’s documentary with Randy in it.

shunlvswx
01-19-2020, 04:38 PM
It looks like Don goes every year. I still can't believe he and Joe didn't bump into each other in 2016. That picture would had been over the whole internet.

I wonder where everybody is at or how big it is. Jay Osmond of the Osmonds is also there and I'm surprised he didn't bumped into Don.

WalshFan88
01-19-2020, 05:50 PM
It looks like Don goes every year. I still can't believe he and Joe didn't bump into each other in 2016. That picture would had been over the whole internet.

I wonder where everybody is at or how big it is. Jay Osmond of the Osmonds is also there and I'm surprised he didn't bumped into Don.

I think Joe probably went out of his way to avoid him at the time. I can't remember when the NAMM show dates were that year vs the time when Glenn had died. But I certainly wouldn't want anything to do with him at the time. If not out of respect for Glenn while he was alive, or the fact he didn't want to be bothered because he was grieving Glenn. I think the fact they didn't bump into each other was intentional, TBH.

I think it was said here recently that they talked briefly last year, which is fine. But I don't see them doing anything together at this point in terms of playing together. I could be wrong, but I don't envision it.

lovemusic
01-19-2020, 06:21 PM
I agree lovemusic, recent pics of Randy in general would be great! BTW, there are some links to pics of him at the Troubadour in November 2018 posted on his sub-forum. This was when Richie Furay was celebrating Poco’s 50th anniversary. You should check it out. There’s also a video promo for Richie’s documentary with Randy in it.
Thanks, Delilah. I'll check that out. Have a good evening! :D

WalshFan88
01-20-2020, 01:41 AM
That video with Slash was fantastic. Thank god Slash played the original solo (even if he did have a looser interpretation). It always bothered me when Tommy Shaw tried to do his own thing for the second half.

But lets clear something up:

Who in blue blazes is playing the polka style rhythm behind Don and Slash?! :rofl:

It drives me batty. Turn down your rhythm guitar, for one. And polka boom-tick type rhythm just sounds so out of place. It has it's place, but it ain't on Hotel California! I mean thats the kind of guitar rhythm I play live when I play with a certain group of guys when we do the song "Iko Iko", lol. Despite being billed as a Mexican Reggae, that kind of Bob Marley meets polka rhythm isn't appropriate for HC, IMO. It's just gross. And it wasn't played consistently throughout, it was like the rhythm guy was just playing the chords and saying "screw it, I'll just goof off". At times it was Bob Marley and at times you cant even hear him.

KingWalsh
01-20-2020, 04:46 AM
That video with Slash was fantastic. Thank god Slash played the original solo (even if he did have a looser interpretation). It always bothered me when Tommy Shaw tried to do his own thing for the second half.

But lets clear something up:

Who in blue blazes is playing the polka style rhythm behind Don and Slash?! :rofl:

It drives me batty. Turn down your rhythm guitar, for one. And polka boom-tick type rhythm just sounds so out of place. It has it's place, but it ain't on Hotel California! I mean thats the kind of guitar rhythm I play live when I play with a certain group of guys when we do the song "Iko Iko", lol. Despite being billed as a Mexican Reggae, that kind of Bob Marley meets polka rhythm isn't appropriate for HC, IMO. It's just gross. And it wasn't played consistently throughout, it was like the rhythm guy was just playing the chords and saying "screw it, I'll just goof off". At times it was Bob Marley and at times you cant even hear him.

LMAO walshfan88! I agree so much! The Tommy Shaw solo I saw on YouTube BIG thumbs down. :unimpressed::unimpressed:
And the rhythm in this vid....wth?!? 😂 it had me scratching my head. With that said glad to see Don havin fun with his buddy Slash. 👍🏻

WalshFan88
01-20-2020, 06:37 PM
LMAO walshfan88! I agree so much! The Tommy Shaw solo I saw on YouTube BIG thumbs down. :unimpressed::unimpressed:
And the rhythm in this vid....wth?!? 😂 it had me scratching my head. With that said glad to see Don havin fun with his buddy Slash. 👍🏻

Yeah I was quite happy to see that too. Guns N' Roses is one of my favorite bands and Slash is one of my favorite guitarists. I just had to mute out the Bob Marley chicka chicka rhythm out of my mind, lol.

I divide the best concerts I've seen into two categories. Great performances, and the most fun. The first category goes to the Eagles on the HOTE tour. The second easily goes to GNR.

I saw GNR in St Louis in 2017 on the reunion tour with Slash and Duff and it was the most fun I've ever had at a concert. It was Eagles-long, like 3 and a half hours of nothing but AFD and UYI songs, with a couple from the Chinese Democracy album. Getting to hear Estranged and Coma was amazing, and of course all of the hits I love like Rocket Queen, Paradise City, etc. It was a good performance, but it was sheer fun. I love classic rock and hard rock music that still has the "rock n' roll" heartbeat and groove and getting to hear Slash tear it up all night was an experience I'll never forget. It was also in an indoor stadium. That was my first time in a stadium. I can't do the outdoor ones due to my heat intolerance. It was also their first show back in the Lou with the original members since the Riverport riot. I was nervous, but it was fine.

chaim
01-21-2020, 02:54 AM
Not meaning to turn this into a G'n'R topic, but I must say that I didn'tgo see them when they were in Finland, but I definitely would have if Izzy had been there.

Having said that, I gotta say that I slightly envy you, Austin, for getting to hear Estranged and Coma. 😁

WalshFan88
01-21-2020, 04:02 AM
Not meaning to turn this into a G'n'R topic, but I must say that I didn'tgo see them when they were in Finland, but I definitely would have if Izzy had been there.

Having said that, I gotta say that I slightly envy you, Austin, for getting to hear Estranged and Coma. 😁

It was flat out awesome!

Izzy was asked and just didn't have any interest. Same with Matt Sorum, who was asked. Steven Adler was asked and wanted to, but IIRC didn't cut the mustard and wasn't fit enough to tour with them.

I do love Izzy and would have preferred to see him but Richard Fortus is fantastic. Look him up sometime on YouTube. Even outside of Guns, his playing is awesome and very much in the vain of Izzy, Malcolm, etc. Fantastic rhythm guitarist. I never liked DJ Ashba or Buckethead personally, but they did right by getting Fortus. And he was the only Chinese-era Guns guitarist to be asked to join up with Slash after Izzy said no. He's played with Dead Daises, Thin Lizzy, etc in recent times.

KingWalsh
01-21-2020, 05:22 AM
Ya add GNR to the lengthy list of bands I have yet to see. When they broke the scene, I was so into them. Ha ha. When MTV actually was a music station, they would play Live at the Ritz. I recorded it on VHS I played that to death, don’t know what happened to that....I consider that my live GNR experience. Lucky you!

thebagels
01-23-2020, 09:22 PM
Very long version of "The Long Run;" Don and the other guitarist do simultaneous solos at one point. Anyone know who Don's guitar player is in this performance?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Svn4XOS4sC0

thebagels
02-13-2020, 04:12 PM
Full concert:

https://youtu.be/pDJvhAmiAsI

chaim
02-14-2020, 06:56 AM
Do his concerts always start with that hilarious speech?

thebagels
02-22-2020, 07:59 PM
Don with Jeff Coffey. It sounds like the backing vocals are finally live.

https://youtu.be/8V7ib2xkghU

webvan
02-23-2020, 06:52 AM
Do his concerts always start with that hilarious speech?

Looks like it...actually all the concerts are the same it seems, you have to wonder why ;-)

I'm surprised there haven't been copyright claims against these videos, all of mine were "killed" and I got three strikes !!!

thebagels
04-07-2020, 02:03 PM
Don sings "Take it Easy" in 2009. He's singing pretty well here (live!).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCEcQ2dOBxY

thebagels
02-21-2021, 08:59 PM
Don rehearsing HC with Tommy Thayer.

https://www.facebook.com/andrew.johns.3781/videos/10157334279535919

chaim
02-22-2021, 05:12 PM
I haven't compared that to other performances, but it sounds like he's singing live.

thebagels
02-22-2021, 07:22 PM
I haven't compared that to other performances, but it sounds like he's singing live.

I think he's singing live too. This is actually an interesting video because we get to see his rehearsal process. It seems like he doesn't bother singing much beyond the first and last verses in rehearsal. It also proves that many of the harmony vocals are actually prerecorded because the harmonies on the choruses and second verse sound exactly the same as they do in concerts with his road band even though the lineup of musicians is totally different.

chaim
02-23-2021, 08:09 AM
I must say that, although I'll never get the chance to see Don live, I'd rather hear rough, occasionally out-of-tune singing than pre-recorded autotune'd stuff. I mean, Neil Young's singing isn't perfect even on studio albums, why should Don Felder's singing be perfect live? Don could sing live with acceptable results. Maybe he couldn't do those high wails in the middle of Witchy Woman, but they don't have to be there.

thebagels
02-23-2021, 07:24 PM
Maybe he couldn't do those high wails in the middle of Witchy Woman, but they don't have to be there.

Don actually can do them live (they're somewhat out of tune, but he's capable of hitting the notes).

https://youtu.be/VzO6KHm2MBk?t=116

His voice is not the best, but its range is somewhat impressive. He can go all the way down to a low D on the Seven Bridges Road bass vocal and then do these high wails in (somewhat) full voice. I really think he could have been a good singer if he worked on his voice. He certainly has an ear for singing as evidenced by the vocal way in which he phrases a lot of his guitar playing.

I definitely agree with what you said about rather hearing live vocals. Joe Walsh sings out of tune frequently--so much so that I think they took his voice out of the mix in more recent Eagles shows. You can hear Joe singing his harmonies flat in the 1970s; he apparently often doubled with Felder on songs like Lyin' Eyes, etc. which had only 4 vocal lines in the chorus, but apparently Joe and Don were singing the same part.

https://youtu.be/6NGnIBYBCPg?t=85

Yet, when Joe does solo concerts, he sings live, and no one really seems to mind. Glenn sang extremely out of tune towards the end of his life and still apparently did solo shows without pitch correction on his voice. Deacon doesn't sing any better to my ear. Now Henley is starting to sing out of tune too.

Lest people think this criticism is undue, I love the Eagles, and would probably have not learned to sing harmony if it were not for them. In the '70s, they really could sing wonderfully in tune together (for example, the Seven Bridges Rd. video in the Eagles doc.). So as a musician, but also as a fan, I'm disappointed that their vocal standard both individually (except Tim can still sing well in tune) and together when they sing harmony has gone down to the extent that they have to use live autotune and have backing musicians doubling their vocal parts (you can clearly hear the live autotune in the Forum 2018 concert).

Then again, I too hope to be able to sing somewhat in tune if/when I reach my mid-70s...but, on the other hand, Ray Charles, Billy Joel, Styx, etc. could still manage it at that age, so...

KingWalsh
02-25-2021, 06:20 AM
I have to disagree the bagels. I saw them in February 2020 at MSG and I didn’t hear auto tune at all. Have their voices changed sure, they are in their 70s. Maybe there is some post production on the 2018 live at forum as one would expect on live cds, but I seriously doubt auto tune. And to say Any of the guys sing out of tune frequently is a bit drastic no?

thebagels
02-25-2021, 09:24 PM
I saw them in February 2020 at MSG and I didn’t hear auto tune at all. Have their voices changed sure, they are in their 70s. Maybe there is some post production on the 2018 live at forum as one would expect on live cds, but I seriously doubt auto tune. And to say Any of the guys sing out of tune frequently is a bit drastic no?

We can agree to disagree. I should have clarified too that I don't hear live autotune during verses, but I hear it during choruses where there are lots of harmonies. Pitch correction in post-production is autotune.

Felder does actually sing out of tune frequently. If you find videos of him actually singing live, he doesn't stay in tune very well. Surprisingly, he actually sang Hotel California tunefully at the R&R HOF a little over a year ago when the "Play it Loud" exhibit moved there.

Joe sings out of tune frequently as well. If you listen to any video (not a studio recording) of him singing live, he isn't always in tune. He has also gone more out of tune since the 70s.

I feel that Glenn was good at staying in tune until the mid-2000s. I remember seeing a 2007 Eagles news story in which they were all sitting around in the "Circle of Fear" doing the new version of "How Long." Glenn's voice cracked audibly on "rock yourself to sleep." I was surprised that they left that line in the news broadcast. After 2007, Glenn became even more pitchy. Of course, he was sick, and I have to commend him for continuing to perform if nothing else.

Henley is starting to go out of tune on the high notes. This can be heard on any live song (like Witchy Woman) where he needs to sing high.

Somehow, Tim still sounds very similar to the way he did on HFO imo. I want two of whatever he's eating. :smile:

Given all of these factors, it is very hard for me to believe that they can sing harmonies literally perfectly in tune now, but cannot hold pitch consistently when they sing solo, especially when they could not harmonize that well in tune in the 70s. The HC-era "Seven Bridges Road" backstage video is truly one of the greatest live vocal performances ever captured imo, but Joe sings his baritone part just a little bit flat. It's not a criticism either; there will be some amount of human error when harmonies are sung totally live. That is natural; the ideal is just to minimize the error. But suddenly, when we hear the Eagles doing SBR in 2020, they are so in tune that overtones are produced. Something doesn't add up.

Again, I love the Eagles. But when truly pioneering rock bands like CSN, Poco, Buffalo Springfield, etc. can sing live, warts and all, and work very hard for a fraction of the money, so too should the Eagles imo.

KingWalsh
02-26-2021, 04:33 AM
We will agree to disagree. I don’t believe they are using auto tune post production. Added vocals perhaps but I do not hear the digitized effect auto tune gives. Voice cracking is not out of tune issue in my opinion. I don’t think any singer is perfectly in tune all the time and don’t expect that. Many older stars have a hard time hitting higher notes and will actually sing the song in a different key to compensate for that, perhaps other artists you mentioned might do that. Regardless, I think the term frequently is drastic in this case. I do not believe Joe, Don or Glenn are frequently out of tune. Their voices have changed with age. I have watched many live videos of the boys throughout the years and have to disagree. I saw them live 2020 and will stick to my guns no auto tune.

chaim
02-26-2021, 05:05 AM
This pitch thing is an interesting subject. It would be cool if it could have a topic of its own without anyone feeling that the Eagles are being bashed as singers. Especially when people get older, there tends to be some pitch issues, so it's normal. (Paul Stanley sang out a lot until he started to lip sync.)

The Eagles have always been a great vocal band and everybody knows that. If they were not always perfectly in tune even in the 70's (like was suggested above), I don't think it takes anything away from their greatness. This would be an interesting subject as a neutral discussion without a "good singer - bad singer" thing.

thebagels
03-30-2021, 06:03 AM
A live show from the Greek Theater in 2014.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiDK7oAuh3c

thebagels
04-03-2021, 05:11 PM
Don singing "Take It Easy" live with a different band for a private party.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSdh0QiDkQ0

KingWalsh
04-04-2021, 04:45 AM
Thanks for sharing

chaim
04-04-2021, 10:01 AM
Don singing "Take It Easy" live with a different band for a private party.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSdh0QiDkQ0

That really IS live. No autotune either. When was this? His vocal is way out of tune here and there and that is perfectly ok. In fact I love it. I very much prefer this to the pre-recorded/autotuned robotic, 100% perfectly executed vocal performances.

I always mention it when I hear Don sing live, but clips like this (if this is recent) prove that he COULD sing live, if he didn't want so badly to be a spot-on, perfect singer every night.

FreyFollower
04-04-2021, 11:30 AM
That really IS live. No autotune either. When was this? His vocal is way out of tune here and there and that is perfectly ok. In fact I love it. I very much prefer this to the pre-recorded/autotuned robotic, 100% perfectly executed vocal performances.

I always mention it when I hear Don sing live, but clips like this (if this is recent) prove that he COULD sing live, if he didn't want so badly to be a spot-on, perfect singer every night.
Well, sure. I agree. When a singer is in their 70s, no one should expect perfection, including the artist. People are coming to hear Don's incredible playing, anyway.

thebagels
04-04-2021, 11:48 PM
When was this?

2017, apparently. Honestly, that clip didn't necessarily make me feel like Don was an inferior singer. It just impressed upon me as to how good of a guitar player he is even when he's playing with a pickup band of musicians he's likely not played with much or at all.

KingWalsh
04-24-2021, 04:17 AM
I’m not sure if this was posted already, I tried to search it, but didn’t have any luck. Apologize if it has. Don Felder, John Stamos and Mike Love (tambourine only) performing “Pride and Joy”. The mix is off in my opinion, bass too loud and his guitar sounds like it’s in a tin can. Unfortunate because he was playing some great stuff. His voice sounded good! I think it’s from 2013 but unsure. Enjoy.

https://youtu.be/hNhsozrkoyM

thebagels
05-02-2021, 05:59 PM
Don singing “Take it Easy” in 2014. Despite the pickup band and nearly inaudible first verse, his vocal actually sounds really good compared to his usual singing.

https://youtu.be/o1FPh6jgd2Q

chaim
05-03-2021, 05:34 AM
Don singing “Take it Easy” in 2014. Despite the pickup band and nearly inaudible first verse, his vocal actually sounds really good compared to his usual singing.

https://youtu.be/o1FPh6jgd2Q

I didn't even hear autotune. That was a nice one.

thebagels
05-27-2021, 07:03 PM
This one just made me laugh.

"1, 2, 3, up!"

"1, 2, 3, down!"

"And go up; oh, here we go!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tc46UKsG0gI

WalshFan88
05-28-2021, 07:38 PM
Here's his life story in less than 3 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2Rh8RkVXCk

chaim
05-30-2021, 10:42 AM
Here's his life story in less than 3 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2Rh8RkVXCk

That's basically his book with the dirt left out. (Sorry, couldn't resist! 😁 )

WalshFan88
05-30-2021, 04:26 PM
That's basically his book with the dirt left out. (Sorry, couldn't resist! 😁 )

True! :hilarious:

chaim
05-31-2021, 02:23 AM
I didn't listen to the whole thing. I assume it's the same story as always; like describing Tom Petty's hair and teeth and getting the "wow!"s and the "hahaha"s when he says his name. But I found the "we didn't have the internet, iPhones or iPads..." a bit weird. I wonder how many in his audience had those as a kid. 😂

WalshFan88
05-31-2021, 02:08 PM
I didn't listen to the whole thing. I assume it's the same story as always; like describing Tom Petty's hair and teeth and getting the "wow!"s and the "hahaha"s when he says his name. But I found the "we didn't have the internet, iPhones or iPads..." a bit weird. I wonder how many in his audience had those as a kid. 😂

Hahaha, yeah probably not many! I mean I was born in 1988, and I didn't even want a cell phone until smartphones became a thing, and the first iPhone came out the year I graduated high school. So do the math. And I would be one of the youngest at a Felder show. I know I was when I saw him a few years back with Styx and REO Speedwagon.

I did have my own computer growing up in Junior High. I've always been an Apple geek and so I had one of those fruit colored egg shaped iMacs back in Junior High. And then I had different iterations of iMacs until I was done with school and decided I wasn't a desktop computer person anymore and switched to MacBook laptops. I did however have the first year iPad, which came out in 2010, so I had an iPad and Macs way before I ever got an iPhone because they weren't tied to a carrier and just ran off of the home WiFi.

I didn't get an iPhone until the iPhone 6 came out because we use a really small regional cell carrier called US Cellular as they are the only ones who work here at the house out in the boonies, and they didn't carry the iPhones until the iPhone 6 came out. Before that I had a BlackBerry and then Samsung Galaxy's. I hated the Galaxys and Android in general, but the BlackBerry being my first smartphone way back in 2008 made me think I was cooler than those of my age at the time. :lol: I think the iPhone 6 was in 2014. I got the BlackBerry after a trip to New York City on vacation with my folks, and seeing so many men in suits and ties walking around I said maybe I will get a cellphone after all! Of my age group of the people I knew I certainly was the last to get a cellphone. I never wanted the dang flip phones or any of that. I was uncool for that reason at the time.

thebagels
07-12-2021, 07:29 PM
Peaceful Easy Feeling at Batavia Downs this past Friday.

https://www.facebook.com/rob.hausrath/videos/419205515881965

Rough performance; hopefully he plays better as the tour extends.

He's started using new vocal tracks too. They're more autotuned than before, but his vocal tone actually sounds better on them, oddly. I wonder if there's more reverb on the tracks now.

An interesting thing about this performance is that he apparently did "Best of My Love." I'm curious to see how he pulled it off or if he rearranged it as I've never heard him do that song.

chaim
07-14-2021, 12:40 PM
Haven't listened to it yet, but are you sure he's using vocal tracks there? Would be a bit strange if he's recorded new ones.

thebagels
07-15-2021, 04:34 PM
Haven't listened to it yet, but are you sure he's using vocal tracks there? Would be a bit strange if he's recorded new ones.

I'm fairly certain that he is (and someone can correct me if they can deduce otherwise). Don's natural voice is fairly raspy and cracks quite a bit. Sometimes, he does actually sing decently in tune (I posted some links a few months ago to videos of a fundraiser he did in 2014 where he sang uncharacteristically well), but it's never as note-perfect and compressed as it is here.

The thing with these new vocal tracks is that they're more cleverly recorded than the ones he was using before. They're not so compressed that they make Don sound like a little boy (listen to the AXSTV Vegas concert with Styx and Foreigner if you think this assessment is a too severe), and they've preserved a couple of voice cracks (like on the word "know" in "you don't already know how to go"). Seems like a page out of Kevin Cronin's book, as Kevin's vocal tracks include some goofs and spaces between the lines for him to adlib (they're probably meant to be red herrings).

Sometimes I wish that the people shooting these Felder concerts would focus on the computer screens in the sound booth or Timothy Drury's laptop screen. ;-)

chaim
07-16-2021, 12:13 PM
I guess we'll know for sure if his voice cracks everytime in the same places. Would be cool if he decided to sing live. Paul Stanley finally started started lip-syncing - what a sad way to go out. Roger Waters barely sings live...

WalshFan88
07-16-2021, 04:18 PM
Seems like a page out of Kevin Cronin's book, as Kevin's vocal tracks include some goofs and spaces between the lines for him to adlib (they're probably meant to be red herrings).

Interesting! I *love* REO, and I've seen then more than any other band at this point (4x). Some really don't care for Kevin's vocal mannerisms and haven't from the beginning.

And to the best of my recollection, it's been probably 2/2.5 years since I've seen the guys last - Kevin wasn't using vocal tracks or lip syncing. It was painfully obvious on Keep On Lovin' You and Take It On The Run as I remember. On those high notes it was cracking and very frail sounding. Other lines he would "whisper sing" to try to hit those notes. And hey, I'm not complaining - aging is an inevitable process that sadly affects some more than others. At least Kevin Cronin could sing well at one point, unlike Don Felder. :grin:

I need to see them again though! They always put on a good show and I like all of their music from the earliest more hard rock numbers right up through the power ballad era. Then again, maybe I won't enjoy myself as much if he's lip syncing the whole time. I guess I'd rather have the realness warts and all from a singer like Kevin. Felder, eh...

thebagels
07-16-2021, 11:55 PM
Interesting! I *love* REO, and I've seen then more than any other band at this point (4x). Some really don't care for Kevin's vocal mannerisms and haven't from the beginning.

And to the best of my recollection, it's been probably 2/2.5 years since I've seen the guys last - Kevin wasn't using vocal tracks or lip syncing. It was painfully obvious on Keep On Lovin' You and Take It On The Run as I remember. On those high notes it was cracking and very frail sounding. Other lines he would "whisper sing" to try to hit those notes. And hey, I'm not complaining - aging is an inevitable process that sadly affects some more than others. At least Kevin Cronin could sing well at one point, unlike Don Felder. :grin:

I need to see them again though! They always put on a good show and I like all of their music from the earliest more hard rock numbers right up through the power ballad era. Then again, maybe I won't enjoy myself as much if he's lip syncing the whole time. I guess I'd rather have the realness warts and all from a singer like Kevin. Felder, eh...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPjagdjW9hg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnwUJlj_l8k

If you sync these two videos, you'll hear that his vocal is tracked, but his adlibs between lines ("you sing it!") are different.

I like REO as well. Kevin always had an interesting timbre to his voice, but his vocal tuning is really precise. Despite the frailty in his voice that you mention (which I agree with), I'm happy he's apparently keeping himself physically active. And when he sings songs in lower keys, they're still enjoyable to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-Ou6-s3zcQ

chaim
07-17-2021, 04:57 AM
Pretty obvious lip-syncing in those two clips, yeah.

07-17-2021, 01:12 PM
I dunno - JMHO, but I think some of these older rockers who have lost their vocal prowess should just go ahead and hang it up. I've never been a fan of lip-synching. When someone can no longer perform live, that should be their cue that their time in the spotlight is over. Or to quote Kenny Rogers again ... "You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em".

chaim
07-17-2021, 02:41 PM
I dunno - JMHO, but I think some of these older rockers who have lost their vocal prowess should just go ahead and hang it up. I've never been a fan of lip-synching. When someone can no longer perform live, that should be their cue that their time in the spotlight is over. Or to quote Kenny Rogers again ... "You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em".

Don could just hire a singer since he's never been a singer to begin with. People like Paul Stanley should indeed hang it up instead of repeating all over again that they're going out on top and bashing former bandmates' (Frehley & Criss) ability to perform. I'm sure Paul's decision to lipsync killed Gene, who can still sing.

WalshFan88
07-17-2021, 10:48 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPjagdjW9hg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnwUJlj_l8k

If you sync these two videos, you'll hear that his vocal is tracked, but his adlibs between lines ("you sing it!") are different.

I like REO as well. Kevin always had an interesting timbre to his voice, but his vocal tuning is really precise. Despite the frailty in his voice that you mention (which I agree with), I'm happy he's apparently keeping himself physically active. And when he sings songs in lower keys, they're still enjoyable to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-Ou6-s3zcQ

That is disappointing.

I just realized I meant to say I hadn't seen them in 2.5 years as if COVID hadn't happened yet. So 2.5 years from the last time I saw any kind of live music (2019) would be late 2016/early 2017. I've seen them a bunch, and maybe will again but I certainly will be looking at more 2021 live footage to decide if I feel like maybe I should end things on a good note and remember it how it was when I saw them last.

That almost definitely is lipsynced. And he wasn't doing that when I saw them. Instead, he barreled through Keep On Loving You and Can't Fight This Feeling warts and all. I'm guessing his pride got hurt along the way and felt like the better thing to do is sing with tracks or lipsync to save face because most people wouldn't know any better (or so he thinks). Too proud to quit, too proud to sing in a lower key.

WalshFan88
07-17-2021, 10:51 PM

Agreed Dreamer. Either lose the ego and sing (real live singing) in a lower key, or hang it up. Don't just lipsync or use autotune to try to keep going. If you are too proud to sing in a lower key, then taking the high road and retiring is the right move. If the rest of the guys in your band don't want to quit yet and you feel like letting them continue under a new singer, great. Or if your band existed in a prior incarnation before you came along, even though your era was more successful, they have every right to continue without you and your permission to continue with you.

chaim
07-18-2021, 05:11 AM
Austin, it has amazed me how easily big names in rock music get away with lip-syncing in the YouTube era. Kiss tested it in one of their cruises. In one of the videos, shot from somewhere above the stage, you could see the little screen before Paul on the floor. You could see the lyrics there and the font had a different color when the words came from a track and when Paul sang them live. Only little phrases here and there had the "live color". Obviously those colors helped Paul memorize which little bits he actually was going to sing.

When the actual tour started, there were videos on YouTube where people had put FOUR performances playing simultaneously and they all had exactly the same vocals. In Paul songs, that is. The Gene songs were live. Even with tons of evidence on YT people don't care. Even lots of Kiss fans who KNOW Paul lip-syncs, started saying "I still enjoyed the show". So it's a bit strange...

FreyFollower
07-18-2021, 11:53 AM
Paul should change his makeup to a mime! Lol

thebagels
07-21-2021, 01:03 PM
So Don actually did do Best of My Love (go to 7:25).

https://www.facebook.com/100000956078082/videos/pcb.5771335872908225/325195585922732

I wonder where the pedal steel sound is coming from. One might think that it's coming from the keyboards (and maybe it is), but I've never heard of a keyboard that can change chords the same way a pedal steel will (different notes slide to different places); yet, that's exactly what's happening here.

This is a song that I really wonder whether or not Don can sing in real life because "go on sleeping" and "I guess it wasn't enough" require large vocal leaps. These are hard to sing; even Henley doesn't always do both in recent Eagles performances of the song.

Don's up and down bowing didn't work too well this time. In my opinion, he didn't have to do it as the show's subtle ending up until then fit the mood of BOML pretty well.

WalshFan88
07-22-2021, 01:45 AM
Austin, it has amazed me how easily big names in rock music get away with lip-syncing in the YouTube era. Kiss tested it in one of their cruises. In one of the videos, shot from somewhere above the stage, you could see the little screen before Paul on the floor. You could see the lyrics there and the font had a different color when the words came from a track and when Paul sang them live. Only little phrases here and there had the "live color". Obviously those colors helped Paul memorize which little bits he actually was going to sing.

When the actual tour started, there were videos on YouTube where people had put FOUR performances playing simultaneously and they all had exactly the same vocals. In Paul songs, that is. The Gene songs were live. Even with tons of evidence on YT people don't care. Even lots of Kiss fans who KNOW Paul lip-syncs, started saying "I still enjoyed the show". So it's a bit strange...

I think for the band who screams the loudest from the rooftops about putting on the best bombastic show possible and not liking bands who are boring, choreographed, or aren't real enough and all of that, the idea that KISS is using vocal tracks is a bitter pill to swallow that reeks of irony and hypocrisy. Couple that with them saying that Peter isn't able to play anymore to the band's standards of musicianship (I mean this is KISS not the damn Philharmonic Orchestra!!!) and that while Ace can still play great, his "unpredictability" and so called lack of professionalism is a liability to the band for putting on consistently great shows, well that's just a bit too bitter to swallow at that point.

And here's the thing, I like Paul Stanley. I actually like him better as a person than Gene Simmons. Like not even in the same stratosphere better. :grin: But it's time to "Face The Music", Paul. Your vocal cords are shot. That's ok. It happens. A life of rock and roll plus aging can do that. It doesn't detract from your classic recordings or place in the band's history. IMO to not seem hilariously hypocritical or ironic you have 2 choices, maybe 3 as far as how to continue on or not with KISS. This goes for Gene, Tommy, and Eric too.

1) KISS calls it quits and actually mean it. Finish this leg of shows and put your money where your mouth is.
2) Let Ace and Peter play with the group again, and realize that Peter Criss can drum about as well as you can sing and that you using tracks in your band can't be any more demeaning or embarrassing than anything Ace might say or do and that he isn't even as reckless as you think he is.
3) Start seeking a replacement for yourself.

07-22-2021, 10:51 AM
Not that they give a hoot, but I choose option #1! :hand:

KingWalsh
07-30-2021, 04:49 AM
It’s crazy how things seem to collide. I have been a KISS fan since I can remember. My walls as a teen had Eagles Hotel California insert poster (over my bed :smitten:) and next to that KISS, among other various groups. I am an Ace fan and it always bothered me how Paul and Gene constantly trashed Ace and Peter. Reading this thread, it’s nice to hear others feeling the same way. How Paul can lip sync and then put Ace and Peter down is a head scratcher. I’m going to see Alice Cooper and Ace in Sept….can’t believe it! Very psyched, never saw either live except for YouTube.

Nobody’s perfect and as others have said I’d rather have warts and all, rasp, cracks, maybe not hitting the note perfect than have a lip synced performance, especially nowadays at the price tickets are now!!

as far as REO goes, they just opened the brand new Amphitheatre in BRidgeport, CT with Styx. (same place I’m going for Alice and Ace) and I heard some saying they seemed like something missing whereas STYX had a lot of energy. Who knows I wasn’t there, but peeps were Calling in Radio station mentioning it….maybe it has to do with lip syncing idk……

thebagels
08-11-2021, 01:21 PM
Apparently, he's not even trying to hide it anymore.

https://youtu.be/IR5gJgoGNaY?t=168

WalshFan88
08-11-2021, 07:58 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcZ2I9jqxx8

"This next song is about the rest of my life!"

Oh really Don, I wasn't aware you wrote this about how your life would be in your 70s. I could have sworn it was wrote by Don Henley and Glenn Frey and that their basis for the song *wasn't* about how you'd be living the rest of your life right now. Gee, thanks for the correction! Ok, sarcasm aside - the nerve! The nerve! This is not "I call this the credit card song" or "I dedicate this". It's "this song is about the rest of my life". At least this song was written during your Eagles tenure so I'm not even more mad that you weren't even in the picture then, but I guarantee you Don and Glenn did not think about Felder's senior living arrangement when they wrote this track in 1978! Just a hunch. ;)

Felder has truly almost never taken the high road. Instead of repenting, he's doubled down. He only has himself to blame for his misfortunes in life, Eagles and otherwise. No one wants to be around a perpetual victim who really isn't a victim but rather a passive-aggressive narcissist who overvalues himself and when someone tries to bring him back down to planet earth, he cries foul play. I honestly just cannot believe I supported him as a person for so many years. I was wearing some thick rose colored glasses. Although I do think he's become more insufferable with time. As much as Henley can weigh on my nerves (and irregardless of the 3.0 situation I might add!), when Geffen called Henley a malcontent (which I don't deny) I kinda wish I was there to say "hey, have you met Don Felder yet?". :lol: Henley at least could back it up with immeasurable talent and success, even outside of the group as a solo artist. Which is to say he didn't need the other guys to do really well. Don Felder has not shown that to be the case yet.

Pretty brazen, Don. Pretty darn brazen....

thebagels
08-11-2021, 09:36 PM
Agreed, Austin, if that's what Don actually said. I've heard other times when he's said "this song is the story of my life," which I don't mind as much, but it's far from clear.

Another lip-sync fail. This one is absolutely baffling because there's no good explanation for it other than he walked right into it.

https://youtu.be/JiDK7oAuh3c?t=2091

chaim
08-12-2021, 04:23 AM
Apparently, he's not even trying to hide it anymore.

https://youtu.be/IR5gJgoGNaY?t=168

What happened there? Did the sound guy mute Don's vocal track after a couple of words when he noticed Don's not even near the mic?

EDIT:

I see he's been using the same track for years at least for LITFL. Listen to all these performances phrase by phrase from "She said listen baby..." to the chorus. It's so obvious.

From 2:51 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8pJNQADIiY

From 34:26 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiDK7oAuh3c&t=2091s

From 2:50 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chApuGnLloU

Not sure I'd even mind him lip-syncing if people knew it. But it's always been irritating to see comments like "His singing sounds great. Don Henley isn't what he used to be blablabla."

chaim
08-12-2021, 04:29 AM
I think that introducing The Long Run with the comment about his life might be a tongue-in-cheek thing.

chaim
08-12-2021, 04:46 AM
To say something positive for a change, he's still got it as a player. That soloing at the end was very tasty. And he's always a very tasteful dresser!

thebagels
08-12-2021, 01:39 PM
Still a great player, chaim. But that's why I've felt his ability is pretty much wasted in his current group.

This is the worst one, fwiw. I'm actually shocked that he let this happen because it's just so obvious.

https://youtu.be/wcZ2I9jqxx8?t=323

chaim
08-12-2021, 02:51 PM
Still a great player, chaim. But that's why I've felt his ability is pretty much wasted in his current group.

This is the worst one, fwiw. I'm actually shocked that he let this happen because it's just so obvious.

https://youtu.be/wcZ2I9jqxx8?t=323

Perhaps the sound guy's supposed to mute the vocal track whenever Don's not near the microphone during a vocal section, but he failed to do so here. There was that one HT performance where Don's vocal part was several beats off during the intro.

I wonder if the backing vocals - or at least some of them - are/have been live in Don's performances. When Don does Seven Bridges Road, it's quite a performance if every singer lip-syncs!

thebagels
08-12-2021, 11:34 PM
Perhaps the sound guy's supposed to mute the vocal track whenever Don's not near the microphone during a vocal section, but he failed to do so here. There was that one HT performance where Don's vocal part was several beats off during the intro.

I wonder if the backing vocals - or at least some of them - are/have been live in Don's performances. When Don does Seven Bridges Road, it's quite a performance if every singer lip-syncs!

I think that's what's going on based on the TIE video as you speculated earlier. We hear Don's vocal cut off suddenly in the TIE video, and it's muted until he gets back to the mic.

I'm fairly certain the backing vocals in TIE aren't live because there are only two other vocal parts, yet three people are singing. Also, the last "ooo" was inaudible, but we could see the guys on stage singing "ooo" into the mic.

I would be willing to bet that everyone is actually singing, but the audience does not hear what is going into the mics. There are performances of SBR and other songs where I can distinctly hear Kasim Sulton or Jeff Coffey's vocal.

Such obvious lipsyncing really makes me wonder why there's no real controversy over what Don is doing. Similar allegations of lip-syncing almost killed Journey until they found Arnel Pineda.

It looks like Don might have a new keyboard player. Who is it?

WalshFan88
08-13-2021, 04:25 AM
I think that introducing The Long Run with the comment about his life might be a tongue-in-cheek thing.

Perhaps, but it just seems so icky. If it was a joke, perhaps he needs to work on his delivery! I love a good joke. But this fell flat with me, even watching it again now. Or else he might want to just stick to the music part of the entertainment business and stay in his lane which is playing the guitar (ie, not comedy!). :lol: Maybe it's just lost on me...

It's like how he will inadvertently take credit for the ICTYW solo if someone compliments him on a great solo by not correcting them. You have to literally pin him down and ask who actually recorded it to get him to say it was Glenn's solo. But if you just assume it was Don, and praise him for it, he's all in. Of course his retort might be "well, I assumed they meant how well I executed it live...". I find Don's narcissism while calling Glenn and DH narcissists very ugly and not at all appropriate for a man in his 70s. Be humble!

WalshFan88
08-13-2021, 04:28 AM
To say something positive for a change, he's still got it as a player. That soloing at the end was very tasty. And he's always a very tasteful dresser!

He's certainly never let me down in that department. Still consider him a guitar hero and an inspiration. He can play as good as ever. Walsh had a greater impact on me as a hero but Felder was right there behind him.

It's Felder the person that has left me feeling more than disappointed.

chaim
08-13-2021, 07:21 AM
Perhaps, but it just seems so icky. If it was a joke, perhaps he needs to work on his delivery! I love a good joke. But this fell flat with me, even watching it again now. Or else he might want to just stick to the music part of the entertainment business and stay in his lane which is playing the guitar (ie, not comedy!). :lol: Maybe it's just lost on me...

It's like how he will inadvertently take credit for the ICTYW solo if someone compliments him on a great solo by not correcting them. You have to literally pin him down and ask who actually recorded it to get him to say it was Glenn's solo. But if you just assume it was Don, and praise him for it, he's all in. Of course his retort might be "well, I assumed they meant how well I executed it live...". I find Don's narcissism while calling Glenn and DH narcissists very ugly and not at all appropriate for a man in his 70s. Be humble!

It's probably more like wishful thinking on my part. He certainly doesn't seem like a guy who can make even a little bit of fun of himself.

EDIT:

Watched it again. He did sort of laugh after saying that.

WalshFan88
08-14-2021, 12:55 AM
It's probably more like wishful thinking on my part. He certainly doesn't seem like a guy who can make even a little bit of fun of himself.

EDIT:

Watched it again. He did sort of laugh after saying that.

He's about as dry as the toast I had two mornings ago. :hilarious: With the charisma of a wet mop to boot. And honestly maybe that's selling wet mops short a bit. :grin:

Man oh man if he'd only just play his damn guitar and get a singer for his band. Or better yet, do a 180 and perhaps look into doing some guitar clinics, instructional videos, TrueFire courses, Skype lessons (yes, they'd be the most expensive ever, but...), or doing some session work or something. He clearly can play guitar. The singing and the MC'ing need serious work and is not doable IMO. Best use those strengths to their fullest. Maybe do some videos for guitar brands again, tour and do clinics, etc etc. Or if you are committed to live shows, invest in a singer. Please put a little bit of ego aside and do that much. You can still stand in the center like you always wished you could have in the Eagles, and do the talking (although I'd prefer not :lol:), but get a great singer who can do DH material very well. And surely one of the other band guys is a competent singer.

I'd love to see Felder PLAY like this again live. Not as a frontman talking to the crowd, and certainly not singing the music. As great of a player as he is, I don't think I can sit through another show of his and deal with the singing and off-putting stage presence enough to be able to hear it. I don't regret going to see him once, so I could see him play. But I think it might be different the second time around.

chaim
08-14-2021, 02:05 AM
Yeah, he could do all kinds of guitar stuff and still get the adoratiom he needs so much.

He could also move beyond Hotel California IMHO. The doubleneck guitar seems to be like a holy object to him now and he expects the audience to feel the same.

WalshFan88
08-14-2021, 04:31 PM
Yeah, he could do all kinds of guitar stuff and still get the adoratiom he needs so much.

He could also move beyond Hotel California IMHO. The doubleneck guitar seems to be like a holy object to him now and he expects the audience to feel the same.

Yeah I agree on him getting the adoration.

I mean you know how I feel about Hotel California. It's the best song the Eagles ever did IMO, and certainly my favorite and it saved my life, but he clings to it like it's *his* creation and his only. That part I don't like. I mean he's taking credit for things that he has no business doing. Yes, he had the first impetus for the song. But there is nothing to say that if DH and GF hadn't worked their magic or done their work on it that it would have been in the same stratosphere as successful. I would bet my own money it wouldn't have been. I'm a guitar lover, and I don't think much about lyrics nor do I look for complexity there, but even *I* don't like instrumental music. :lol: And by clinging to HC so much, he devalues the other things he's done in the band and the other parts he's created. So he's not only doing a disservice to Eagles fans who know the truth, but to himself.

thebagels
09-26-2021, 10:24 PM
That is disappointing.

I just realized I meant to say I hadn't seen them in 2.5 years as if COVID hadn't happened yet. So 2.5 years from the last time I saw any kind of live music (2019) would be late 2016/early 2017. I've seen them a bunch, and maybe will again but I certainly will be looking at more 2021 live footage to decide if I feel like maybe I should end things on a good note and remember it how it was when I saw them last.

That almost definitely is lipsynced. And he wasn't doing that when I saw them. Instead, he barreled through Keep On Loving You and Can't Fight This Feeling warts and all. I'm guessing his pride got hurt along the way and felt like the better thing to do is sing with tracks or lipsync to save face because most people wouldn't know any better (or so he thinks). Too proud to quit, too proud to sing in a lower key.

Gotta give props to REO; they've started singing live again.

The way they handled "I'm getting closer than I ever thought I might" is the way I wish more bands would rearrange songs when their singers' voices changes. They are lucky that Dave has a high voice and can handle Kevin's parts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ybA6NBByoQ

WalshFan88
09-02-2023, 01:03 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vb3_JsTOdIc

When I first heard Felder was doing TITTL my heart dropped. The man is not a singer. Glenn said it best! He's an amazing guitarist and writer but he can't sing and he has the charisma of a wet mop. He's no frontman. But he actually has his bassist sing this and it's not too bad! I was expecting the worst. I think he knew there would be criticism. :lol:

I still think the very best Eagles tribute band on planet earth could be Don Felder's band if Felder quit singing everything but his solo songs and left the DH and GF vocals to other vocalists. It would have so much credibility and authenticity with Felder's knack for playing things like the record and his musicianship and the fact it has an ex-Eagle in it. I would pay to see that anyday. Maybe get your bassist to sing the high songs and just hire one more guy who can sing in Glenn's range. It's not *that* much more money. Especially if is not some well known superstar singer. Then you would have a band that I would be over the moon to see. Felder's expert guitar playing but with good vocals.

While no one can touch Randy's vocal, I always have absolutely loved Glenn singing TITTL in a lower key - it almost sounds like Lyin' Eyes or Tequila Sunrise. The version on F1 is sublime. If it's not Randy I want to hear Glenn sing it. No one else. Not Vince Gill, not Felder (lol), not even Timothy. I think Timothy would have too much respect to sing it.

09-02-2023, 03:47 PM
When I first heard Felder was doing TITTL my heart dropped. The man is not a singer. Glenn said it best! He's an amazing guitarist and writer but he can't sing and he has the charisma of a wet mop. He's no frontman. But he actually has his bassist sing this and it's not too bad! I was expecting the worst. I think he knew there would be criticism. :lol:

I still think the very best Eagles tribute band on planet earth could be Don Felder's band if Felder quit singing everything but his solo songs and left the DH and GF vocals to other vocalists. It would have so much credibility and authenticity with Felder's knack for playing things like the record and his musicianship and the fact it has an ex-Eagle in it. I would pay to see that anyday. Maybe get your bassist to sing the high songs and just hire one more guy who can sing in Glenn's range. It's not *that* much more money. Especially if is not some well known superstar singer. Then you would have a band that I would be over the moon to see. Felder's expert guitar playing but with good vocals.

While no one can touch Randy's vocal, I always have absolutely loved Glenn singing TITTL in a lower key - it almost sounds like Lyin' Eyes or Tequila Sunrise. The version on F1 is sublime If it's not Randy I want to hear Glenn sing it. No one else. Not Vince Gill, not Felder (lol), not even Timothy. I think Timothy would have too much respect to sing it.

ITA Austin.

WalshFan88
09-02-2023, 05:27 PM
ITA Austin.

Glenn really made it his own song. Same lyrics, roughly similar instrumentation, but it took on a whole different thing when he sang it. It really had a smoother thing to it.

chaim
09-04-2023, 04:18 PM
Well, Don F hasn't actually SUNG live for years, you know. 😄

Glenn and TITTL...I've heard that Glenn was once interviewed on the radio and there was a piano in the room. The interviewer asked him something about TITTL (maybe asked Glenn to play some of it?). Glenn said that he should be able to play it on the piano since he wrote it on a piano. Then he played it. Does anybody remember this? Is there an audio? I've never heard it, I've only heard ABOUT it.

WalshFan88
09-04-2023, 05:01 PM

Glenn and TITTL...I've heard that Glenn was once interviewed on the radio and there was a piano in the room. The interviewer asked him something about TITTL (maybe asked Glenn to play some of it?). Glenn said that he should be able to play it on the piano since he wrote it on a piano. Then he played it. Does anybody remember this? Is there an audio? I've never heard it, I've only heard ABOUT it.

True that - actually glad for Autotune in this case lol. Oh man.

I have not heard that interview but I sure want to! Maybe Dreamer or Soda has it saved.

chaim
09-05-2023, 12:09 AM
Austin, I don't think it's just Autotune. He has used the same backing tracks for years. Maybe it's not noticeable at the actual shows, but when you watch his performances on YouTube, it's embarassingly obvious. If he was honest about it I wouldn't mind since he's a guitarist after all, but YouTube is full of comments like "he still sings great!".

chaim
09-05-2023, 12:39 AM
(People on YouTube, who watch his interviews, also say he's very humble. I've NEVER heard of another human being having announcer praising his/her accomplishments on an intro tape before a "humble" walk to the centre stage. 🤣 )

chaim
09-05-2023, 12:44 AM
....Looks like he has a video that goes with that announcement now. It's a full commercial. 🤣

WalshFan88
09-05-2023, 01:01 AM
I think he does use tracks plus Autotune. Heck, the tracks are probably autotuned too!

And as far as his humility or lack thereof - I think and will always think his need for affirmation comes as a defense mechanism from his insecurity and him being passive-aggressive to our guys (Glenn, Don, Tim, Joe, etc.). Little man syndrome. I mean he wrote "You Don't Have Me". He was never happy that Glenn Frey had everything he wanted and embodied everything he wasn't. The constant comparisons really made him have some type of a victim complex and he felt he was being cheated by not singing VOL or more material. I mean Visions is pretty much of the Eagles worst tracks. I think GF and DH were more than fair in giving him a chance to sing. It didn't end well! :hilarious:

The sad thing is his own talent can stand on it's own damn two feet without the bravado. He's a masterful musician and he's a brilliant writer of musical parts. The fact he can't sing and that he's not an extroverted charismatic frontman is no fault of his own. And hey, Glenn wasn't the level of player Felder was either although being an underrated guitarist himself. Felder had brought something of value to the band when he joined. His contributions are not in any way shape or form minor or insignficant. He's a freaking rockstar and revered guitar player. But that isn't now and will never be enough for him. It's sad to see one of your heroes behave like this in his 70s. He will never change.

He really sank his own boat in the Eagles and he sank his own boat in the minds of people and Eagles fans with his behavior that started back in the 70s and that he is still doing to this very day. The Don Felder at Wrong Beach is still very much the Don Felder of today. Childish, petty, insecure, and vindictive. While it doesn't make him any less of a player, it does dampen his overall image and certainly my view on him has changed over the years. It's unfortunate. I think a lot of Eagles history would have been different had he changed his ways before the HFO reunion. And while Don and Glenn were feeling burnt out after The Long Run, I do blame the band's breaking up in the 70s on Felder in part. I think that was easier to tolerate though than his HFO and onward behavior. I'm glad that Glenn made the difficult choice to remove him from the band vs another breakup as the band had a good run after his departure that we wouldn't have had otherwise as well as the Long Road Out Of Eden album and the tours after he left. But maybe, just maybe, had he cleaned his act up the Eagles would have put out more music (with Felder!), done more tours, etc. Glenn and Don weren't saints. But they grew up!

chaim
09-05-2023, 02:53 AM
Yeah, he was GREAT as a guitarist/co-writer in Eagles. He's still a GREAT guitarist That alone is so much more than most of us who play could ever be. No ridiculous pre-concert announcements needed.

WalshFan88
09-05-2023, 02:42 PM
Yeah, he was GREAT as a guitarist/co-writer in Eagles. He's still a GREAT guitarist That alone is so much more than most of us who play could ever be. No ridiculous pre-concert announcements needed.

Exactly chaim.

It's sad and unfortunate that wasn't enough for him but that he felt like he had to wear all the hats and I genuinely think he spent the majority of his mental capacity while he was in the band comparing himself to Glenn and then after the band resenting it. He feels like he was the whole package or at least really wanted to be. And he wasn't. But he had something that Glenn didn't have in terms of guitar chops. He had more talent than most people walking earth. Very very rarely do you have someone who can truly do it all. Play like Felder while also able to sing as good as Don or Glenn and be entertaining or as charming as Glenn or Joe. I think he always wanted to be the triple threat but he didn't realize there are people like us that would do anything to just have what he did. He didn't have to do it all. He was enough. And most of us would be more than content!

09-05-2023, 11:19 PM

chaim - Sorry, but I don't recall ever hearing an interview like the one you described here. I sure would love to hear it though. And with regard to Felder, it seems to me that he is unable to appreciate the gifts he has and be content and grateful. Instead his insecurities seem to continue to manifest themselves. Such a shame!

Scamp
09-06-2023, 09:27 AM
I read in a guitar magazine a while back that they thought Joe and Don were the best guitar duo around and that was not counting Hotel CA. They loved the way they would play off each other. They had two different playing styles but could play so well together. Don's playing style and Joe's musical style made a heck of a team. Not only in the Eagles but when Don played with Joe after the breakup. One thing they liked was the way either one of them could just attack a solo but then step back and let the other play. They both were great players individually but when they played together they were way above others.
I knew a guy who work on the stage for the first HFO trial. He said how Joe and Don would get playing and it was on... Everything stopped till they got done. He said it was too bad they couldn't do it in the show. No singing but the strings were afire. It was like to little kids with anything you can do I can do better

chaim
09-06-2023, 10:43 AM
I read in a guitar magazine a while back that they thought Joe and Don were the best guitar duo around and that was not counting Hotel CA. They loved the way they would play off each other. They had two different playing styles but could play so well together. Don's playing style and Joe's musical style made a heck of a team. Not only in the Eagles but when Don played with Joe after the breakup. One thing they liked was the way either one of them could just attack a solo but then step back and let the other play. They both were great players individually but when they played together they were way above others.
I knew a guy who work on the stage for the first HFO trial. He said how Joe and Don would get playing and it was on... Everything stopped till they got done. He said it was too bad they couldn't do it in the show. No singing but the strings were afire. It was like to little kids with anything you can do I can do better

That HFO situation must have been a beautiful thing to witness. Personally I've never understood why they had Don F and Joe in the band, but didn't let them "go crazy" together more, especially on albums. Felder does have phenomenal guitar parts on Eagles albums and Joe even has some beautiful keyboard parts, but what they had as a duo seems a bit like well-kept secret to me. 😅 There are things I still dislike about Felder and I still tend to say it sometimes, but as a guitarist he'll get zero complaints from me.

chaim
09-06-2023, 10:49 AM
As an addition to my previous post....Actually Felder himself doesn't really irritate me as much these days as the people who keep saying he's very humble and he still sings great and at the same breath bash Glenn and Don H. I see those comments every time I see a Felder video on YouTube. Felder is ok. He's just not humble and he doesn't sing, it's a track.

chaim
09-07-2023, 05:03 AM
35:40 - 37-30. If all that he says is true, then why the intro tape about Grammys, Hall Of Fame and stuff? 🤣

https://youtu.be/IZPShguBOqU?si=9C1SBu1sPYYImNXy

09-07-2023, 10:39 AM
I think that this must be who he is. He does this kind of thing a lot in his book. He often goes into long rants about something that happened and then ends it with something along the lines of 'but it really didn't matter to me'. Really?

chaim
09-07-2023, 11:23 AM
Incidentally, Austin, do you know what Don F, Glenn and Bernie played on TITTL, the studio recording? Or did they all even play on it? Glenn didn't play piano snd there aren't that many guitar parts. I assume
that Don played the intro licks. He did them in that recent live performance and sounded great.

WalshFan88
09-07-2023, 04:54 PM
Yeah I don't buy the whole "it doesn't matter to me" bit. It clearly does if he's harping on it all these years later. He's an injustice collector and can't let things go. I agree Chaim, the comments of some of his fans are what gets me more than anything.

Scamp - that is so cool. They were absolutely a force to be reckoned with. A great guitar team.

Chaim - I don't know a lot about that song. I know Lyin' Eyes was a Telecaster into a Deluxe Reverb and After The Thrill Is Gone was his Les Paul into a Tweed Deluxe but I have no idea what he played on that song guitar wise. To me it sounds pretty Fender-y. I'm guessing just tone-wise it was a similar setup to New Kid In Town which was a Stratocaster into a Deluxe Reverb. One Of These Nights of course was a Les Paul into the Tweed Deluxe. Almost a guarantee that in the 70s it was either a Tweed era Narrow Panel Deluxe or Black Panel Deluxe Reverb for Don's amps. The only outlier is the Tweed era Champ on Victim Of Love. Otherwise he was a Fender Deluxe guy through and through in the studio. If it needed to be cleaner, Black Panel. If it needed some hair, Tweed. As far as guitars it was one of 3 - Les Paul, Strat, or Tele and only rarely Tele.

Scamp
09-08-2023, 08:58 AM
That HFO situation must have been a beautiful thing to witness. Personally I've never understood why they had Don F and Joe in the band, but didn't let them "go crazy" together more, especially on albums. Felder does have phenomenal guitar parts on Eagles albums and Joe even has some beautiful keyboard parts, but what they had as a duo seems a bit like well-kept secret to me. 😅 There are things I still dislike about Felder and I still tend to say it sometimes, but as a guitarist he'll get zero complaints from me.

Remember the HfO tour was Joe's first sober playing...Don H, Glenn and Irving decided they should get Don F. i the band incase Joe couldn't get sober. They couldn't go on tour without the lead guitar. There is an early tape of Joe and Don playing Turn to Stone. It was long and I don't think Don H wanted any songs they couldn't sing.
An interview with Joe about the Long Road Out of Eden he said that they had Stuart in the studio and he was such a great player that Joe only played guitar on his own songs and solo parts he has. He said he played mostly keyboard, organ and piano and Stuart played the guitar parts

On thing I really don't like about Felder was it was always "I had to play the bass part" or the mandolin or the lap steel. He always made it sound like he was the only one who could play any other instruments.

Scamp
09-08-2023, 09:06 AM
WalshFan 88

Don seemed to be a LP player more than any other guitar. I always thought it was strange when I saw I'm play a strat and I think I've only seen him play a tele once. I think I've seen him play hie gretsch more than a tele.

chaim
09-08-2023, 10:27 AM
Remember the HfO tour was Joe's first sober playing...Don H, Glenn and Irving decided they should get Don F. i the band incase Joe couldn't get sober. They couldn't go on tour without the lead guitar. There is an early tape of Joe and Don playing Turn to Stone. It was long and I don't think Don H wanted any songs they couldn't sing.
An interview with Joe about the Long Road Out of Eden he said that they had Stuart in the studio and he was such a great player that Joe only played guitar on his own songs and solo parts he has. He said he played mostly keyboard, organ and piano and Stuart played the guitar parts

On thing I really don't like about Felder was it was always "I had to play the bass part" or the mandolin or the lap steel. He always made it sound like he was the only one who could play any other instruments.

I assume Glenn played rhythm parts on Eden as well?

chaim
09-08-2023, 10:46 AM
....and keyboard/piano parts?

WalshFan88
09-08-2023, 11:23 AM
WalshFan 88

Don seemed to be a LP player more than any other guitar. I always thought it was strange when I saw I'm play a strat and I think I've only seen him play a tele once. I think I've seen him play hie gretsch more than a tele.

Tele was used always for Lyin' Eyes. Almost never other than that.

He actually used the Strat a fair bit but just not as much as the Les Paul. He used the Strat for NKIT, VOL, and I'm pretty sure TITTL. Live he used it for Take It Easy.