PDA

View Full Version : Eagles in Steve Martin's book

DonFan
03-31-2008, 01:57 PM
I love biographies, and I am reading Steve Martin's autobiography right now called "Born Standing Up." He talks a little bit about hanging out at the Troubadour with Glenn, Don & Linda Ronstadt. He says:

"The Troubadour's regulars included Michael Nesmith, Jackson Browne, Joni Mitchell, Glenn Frey, Don Henley and all the others whose music was a siren call to a perceptive record executive named David Geffen. One week I opened the show for Linda Ronstadt: she sang barefoot on a raised stage and wore a silver lame' dress that stopped a millimeter below her panties, causing the floor of the Troubadour to be slick with drool."
---------------------------------------------------------------

For some reason, that statement reminds me of some of our discussions on the board.... :wink:

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Then Steve goes on to write about this discussion with Glenn:

"One night I was lingering at the bar and talking to Glenn Frey, who was just leaving his duo, Longbranch Pennywhistle. He said he was considering a name for his new five-man group. "What is it?" I said. He said, "Eagles." I said, 'You mean, the Eagles?" and he said, "No, Eagles." The name of the group remains, of course, Eagles."
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Don talked about Steve too, when he told the story behind The Sad Cafe in the booklet that accompanies Eagles--The Very Best of:

Don: "A train used to run down the center of Santa Monica Boulevard right outside the Troubadour. Steve Martin actually had a routine where he'd get the entire audience to exit the club, hop a flatcar on that slow-moving train and ride to La Cienega, a few blocks east. Then everybody would hop off and walk back down to the club together. It was something to remember. It was a wonderful time in Los Angeles. The city was alive with magic and a sense of possibility."

-----------------------------------------------------------
That "sense of possibility" never really found Steve at that particular time, because at the end of that chapter he writes about his mixed reviews and says:

"After my closing night show at the Troubadour, the end of my latest bad review said:"Sharing the bill with Poco this week is comedian Steve Martin...his 25-minute routine failed to establish any comic identity that would make the audience remember him or his material."
------------------------------------------------------------
Talk about famous last words.

sodascouts
03-31-2008, 02:37 PM
Thanks for typing all that up, DF! Interesting stuff. What a cool time, to be around all that burgeoning fame.

Regarding the review of Steve Martin - well - success is the best revenge! ;)

Brooke
03-31-2008, 04:04 PM
8) Thanks, DF!

I loved Steve Martin on SNL back in the early years. Just to look at him would make you laugh! :D

DonFan
03-31-2008, 04:10 PM
I can just see Steve and Dan Ackroyd on SNL in those flowered shirts and plaid pants, shimmying across the stage saying "We are two wiiiiiild and craaaaazy guys!" :crazy:

Brooke
03-31-2008, 04:38 PM
Oh me, too, DF! They were hilarious! :rofl:

Glennsallnighter
03-31-2008, 06:40 PM
Thanks for that DF! I love reading any anecdotes relating to the boys, particularly during the band's formative years. That Troubador must've been the place to be.