PDA

View Full Version : April Fool's 2008: Eagles Mentions in Stevie Nicks' book

sodascouts
04-01-2008, 02:25 AM
Well guys, I just got a copy of Stevie Nicks' autobiography The Gypsy That I Was at Border's yesterday, and I've stayed up all night reading it. It's got some surprising revelations about the Eagles! Warning - some of this is pretty shocking!

We know Stevie and Don had a relationship in the 70s. What we didn't know before is that they still had occasional "intimate moments" right up until the early nineties, every time the two were in town together. No wonder they were always doing each other's benefits!

Stevie confesses that "Leather and Lace" was inspired by Don's tendency to want to "play cowboy." He apparently kept his clothes from the Desperado photo shoot and would bring them out every now and then. He especially liked to wear the leather gunbelt and holler, 'YEE-HAH!" at key moments. "I have to admit, he looked incredibly sexy in his cowboy outfit," Stevie writes. This also inspired her song "The Highwayman."

She also takes credit for Don shaving off his facial hair. "I had called him Lindsey one too many times."

We know that Don and Glenn lived together in 1975 and that they were the "odd couple" - Don neat, Glenn messy. Well, apparently that also applied to personal hygiene. Stevie writes that she could smell Glenn coming from a mile away. "You can tell by the smell when Frey's around," was a common joke among band insiders.

Stevie debunks the myth that she hit on Glenn and he refused. She says that was all a result of mistaken identity. It was his first night opening for Fleetwood Mac in 1982, and he was hanging around backstage afterwards. She was high and mistook him for a male groupie. Apparently this offended him and he stalked off. She defends herself by saying, "I hadn't watched his set and I didn't know that he had cut his hair and started wearing suits. I didn't know that he had started bathing regularly. I was high and confused. I've since apologized and we're cool."

Stevie also writes that at the City of Hope Benefit in 1982, former lover Lindsey Buckingham was absolutely furious that he had to play guitar in the background while Stevie and Don sang "Leather and Lace." He is quoted as saying, "I could barely keep from projectile vomiting as they sang that sappy schlock to each other." Afterwards, when Lindsey bumped into Henley backstage, they got into a shoving match. Glenn and Joe, who had opened for Fleetwood Mac, were also backstage. They cheered Don on and taunted Lindsey, yelling things like, "Anyone with a name like 'Lindsey Buckingham' has got to fight like a girl!" Luckily, the altercation ended when Mick Fleetwood pulled out his incredibly large cocaine bag, effectively distracting everyone in the room and breaking up the fight.

Timothy B. Schmit appears as well. Stevie says it was her fault he cut his hair in 1983. "He came up to my LA show while I was touring for 'The Wild Heart.' I saw him talking with Joe, my opening act at the time. I didn't realize it was him. I admit, I can get a little jealous, and I was high as usual... I immediately ran up to Joe demanding to know who his new ladyfriend was. When I saw it was Timothy, I was mortified. Even though I apologized, before you knew it, he had short hair. It MUST have been because of me."

This one really shocked me - Joe and Stevie were actually MARRIED in a Vegas chapel after a night of doing coke and drinking back in 1983. They got it annulled as soon as they sobered up so "it doesn't count." Guess that makes Joe 0 for 4!

Fascinating stuff!

sodascouts
04-01-2008, 02:42 AM
The Eagles are also in some photos in the book:

Don the Cowboy:
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/misc/doncowboy.jpg

Her understandable confusion about Lindsey and Don, causing Don to finally shave:
http://www.buckinghamnicks.net/lb/images/LBuckBdrmEyes.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/don/DHenleyRS75.jpg

Felder and Randy desperately try to avoid sharing a table with smelly Glenn on the plane:
https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/images/eaglesHCTB03.jpg

Stevie and Don at the City of Hope Benefit, before violence erupted:
http://www.donhenleyonline.com/images/DHenleyStevie.jpg

Stevie and Joe just prior to their wedding (he is helping her to stand without teetering):
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/joe/JWalshWithStevie.jpg

Tim's new look, thanks to Stevie:
http://www.timothybschmitonline.com/images/picinsertb.jpg

Thought you might like to see the cover:
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/misc/SNicksPajamasBook.jpg

Glennsallnighter
04-01-2008, 03:21 AM
I was wondering what you'd do this year Soda, but this is INCREDIBLE!! Well done and happy AFD! :D :D :D

sodascouts
04-01-2008, 03:36 AM
I added some pictures, too, GA! lol

Glennsallnighter
04-01-2008, 03:40 AM
Just seen them Soda! They're great! Well done!

DonFan
04-01-2008, 08:49 AM
Great job, Soda--that made my morning! :lol:

And I set you up for this perfectly when I shared bits of Steve Martin's real book yesterday!

YEE-HAH!

tbs fanatic
04-01-2008, 11:36 AM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Good one :D

Brooke
04-01-2008, 12:24 PM
:shock: I guess I must admit I fell hook, line and sinker! I was reading all of this and thinking "oh my gosh, I can't believe Stevie is telling this stuff!"

You bad girl, Soda! Good one! :applause: :blush:

glenneaglesfan
04-01-2008, 04:56 PM
Brooke, those very same words came to me!! (I confess I got quite intrigued about the cowboy business! :blush: )

Brilliant, Soda, absolutely love it!!!

Freypower
04-01-2008, 06:45 PM
Good heavens, Soda, that was brilliant.

What a relief that Glenn now 'bathes regularly'! :twisted:

It's funny.... last night the iPod played Has Anyone Ever Written Anything For You. Now I know she really meant Has Anyone Ever Married You For Five Minutes. :hilarious:

And for Don's 'actiivites'.... :whip:

:thumbsup:

katherine5832
04-01-2008, 09:42 PM
(I confess I got quite intrigued about the cowboy business! :blush: )

You too, GEF? :wink: Man, I was getting a little warm reading that part! Great job, Soda. You had me going. As "shocking" as those tidbits were, they were all pretty plausible! I couldn't help but think two things: 1) How has this not come out before now? and 2) Oh, man, is Don going to be pissed! I think my biggest LOL moment was when Mick Fleetwood distracted everyone with the big ol' bag of coke! Hilarious!

Mrs Frey
04-02-2008, 02:46 AM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Soda, I only got to read this now, but you write so well and everything you've written here is so convincing, although I cringed a little at the idea that Glenn :heart: didn't bath regularly! :shock: :blush: I don't think so! The pictures you added are also a stroke of genius. I particularly enjoyed the picture of Glenn :heart: with Randy and Don Felder, and the caption you added - that was a scream! :hilarious:

Well done - your imagination is quite amazing!

sodascouts
04-02-2008, 06:06 AM
Thanks guys! Glad you liked my little joke! ;)

Ive always been a dreamer
04-02-2008, 10:09 PM
Well Soda - I must say that was very cute and quite clever, indeed. You may have fooled me a couple of times in the past, however, I was on to you this time, girl. Besides there is no way I would've ever bought the story about smelly Glenn - NO WAY! :D

Share1967
05-13-2008, 09:48 PM
Is this a joke? I almost fell over reading this. :D the chemestry still between Don and Stevie, I can imagine regular " Intimate Moments"

Does Stevie have an authorised biography out?

DonFan
05-13-2008, 10:05 PM
It IS a joke, Share1967. It was posted on April Fools Day.

Welcome to the board, by the way! We're glad to have you.

sodascouts
05-13-2008, 10:12 PM
Yeah, I was just having a little fun, Share!

There is no authorized Stevie biography, although there are several unauthorized ones (all of which are very poorly written IMHO and full of inaccuracies). Stevie says she'll write an autobiography when all of the wives and girlfriends of the men she's had affairs with are dead. Apparently she plans to outlive them all! lol

Share1967
05-13-2008, 10:24 PM
I noticed the picture of Stevie had April Fools Day on it. All of it was and is very believable. Except....the smelly Glenn :D I thought my goodness that would sure put Glenn in a different light. If Stevie ever writes her life story it would be steamy.

Very, very good writing.